Genomes and Genes
Summary: A selective adrenergic alpha-1 antagonist used in the treatment of heart failure, hypertension, pheochromocytoma, Raynaud's syndrome, prostatic hypertrophy, and urinary retention.
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- Effects of modafinil and prazosin on cognitive and physiological functions in healthy volunteersS E Winder-Rhodes
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
J Psychopharmacol 24:1649-57. 2010..placebo-controlled study, 12 healthy male adults received modafinil (300 mg), the α1-adrenoceptor antagonist prazosin (3 mg), both together and placebo on separate occasions at least 5 days apart...
- Dopamine receptor D3 regulates endocytic sorting by a Prazosin-sensitive interaction with the coatomer COPIXin Zhang
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:12485-90. 2012..We found that the antihypertensive drug Prazosin inhibits endocytic sorting by an off-target perturbation of the G protein-coupled receptor dopamine receptor D(3) ..
- Doxazosin and terazosin suppress prostate growth by inducing apoptosis: clinical significanceNatasha Kyprianou
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, USA
J Urol 169:1520-5. 2003..This action alone however does not fully account for the long-term clinical responses exerted by these drugs in the treatment of patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Effects of prazosin, an α1-adrenergic receptor antagonist, on the seeking and intake of alcohol and sucrose in alcohol-preferring (P) ratsTerril L Verplaetse
Department of Psychology, Indiana University, Indianapolis, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36:881-6. 2012Previous studies show that prazosin, an α(1) -adrenergic receptor antagonist, decreases alcohol drinking in animal models of alcohol use and dependence [Rasmussen et al. (2009) Alcohol Clin Exp Res 3:264-272; Walker et al...
- Mutational analysis of the alpha 1a-adrenergic receptor binding pocket of antagonists by radioligand binding assayMaruf Ahmed
Pharmacy Department, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi 6205, Bangladesh
Biol Pharm Bull 31:598-601. 2008..acids Asp106 in the third transmembrane domain (TMD), Gln167 in TMD IV of alpha 1a-AR were directly involved in prazosin, tamsulosin and KMD-3213 binding. The Asp106Ala mutant did not exhibit any affinity for [3H]prazosin...
- Placebo-controlled comparison of prazosin and cognitive-behavioral treatments for sleep disturbances in US Military VeteransAnne Germain
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Psychosom Res 72:89-96. 2012..This randomized controlled trial compared the effects of prazosin vs...
- Alpha1-adrenoceptor subtypes involved in vasoconstrictor responses to exogenous and neurally released noradrenaline in rat femoral resistance arteriesJoseph Zacharia
Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow G4 0BA, UK
Br J Pharmacol 141:915-24. 2004..in rat femoral resistance arteries were characterised using a small vessel myograph, with antagonists prazosin (nonsubtype selective), 5-methyl-urapidil (alpha(1A)-selective), BMY 7378 (alpha(1D)-selective) and the ..
- Effect of prazosin and guanfacine on stress-induced reinstatement of alcohol and food seeking in ratsA D Le
Neurobiology of Alcohol Laboratory, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 33 Russell Street, Toronto, ON M5S 2S1, Canada
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 218:89-99. 2011..Here, we further addressed this issue by studying the effect of the alpha-1 adrenoceptor antagonist prazosin and the alpha-2 adrenoceptor agonist guanfacine on yohimbine-induced reinstatement.
- Inhibition of human ether-a-go-go-related gene potassium channels by alpha 1-adrenoceptor antagonists prazosin, doxazosin, and terazosinDierk Thomas
Department of Cardiology, Medical University Hospital Heidelberg, Bergheimerstrasse 58, 69115, Heidelberg, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 369:462-72. 2004..To assess the action of the effects of prazosin, doxazosin, and terazosin on HERG currents, we investigated their acute electrophysiological effects on cloned ..
- Allosteric interactions between the antagonist prazosin and amiloride analogs at the human alpha(1A)-adrenergic receptorR A Leppik
National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 57:436-45. 2000..The six amilorides examined strongly increased the dissociation rate of the antagonist [(3)H]prazosin from the alpha(1A)-adrenergic receptor in a concentration-dependent manner...
- A parallel group placebo controlled study of prazosin for trauma nightmares and sleep disturbance in combat veterans with post-traumatic stress disorderMurray A Raskind
Veterans Affairs Northwest Network Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center MIRECC, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:928-34. 2007..b>Prazosin, a brain active alpha-1 adrenergic receptor antagonist, significantly reduced trauma nightmares and sleep ..
- Identification of alpha 1L-adrenoceptor in mice and its abolition by alpha 1A-adrenoceptor gene knockoutI Muramatsu
Division of Pharmacology, Department of Biochemistry and Bioinformative Sciences, University of Fukui School of Medicine, Eiheiji, Fukui, Japan
Br J Pharmacol 155:1224-34. 2008..The purpose of this was to identify alpha(1L)-adrenoceptors in mice and to examine their relationship to classical alpha(1)-adrenoceptors...
- The effect of breast cancer resistance protein and P-glycoprotein on the brain penetration of flavopiridol, imatinib mesylate (Gleevec), prazosin, and 2-methoxy-3-(4-(2-(5-methyl-2-phenyloxazol-4-yl)ethoxy)phenyl)propanoic acid (PF-407288) in miceLin Zhou
Pfizer Inc, Eastern Point Road, MS 8118W 131, Groton, CT 06340, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 37:946-55. 2009..Four drugs, flavopiridol, imatinib mesylate (Gleevec), PF-407288, and prazosin, with different transport specificity for BCRP/Bcrp and MDR1/Mdr1a were selected, and the drug levels in plasma, ..
- Efficacy and safety of scorpion antivenom plus prazosin compared with prazosin alone for venomous scorpion (Mesobuthus tamulus) sting: randomised open label clinical trialHimmatrao Saluba Bawaskar
Bawaskar Hospital and Research Centre, Mahad, Dist Raigad, Maharashtra, India 402301
BMJ 342:c7136. 2011..for the benefit of scorpion antivenom and its efficacy compared with that of commonly used vasodilators, such as prazosin, is scarce...
- Asp125 and Thr130 in transmembrane domain 3 are major sites of alpha1b-adrenergic receptor antagonist bindingKazuya Takahashi
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Niigata University of Pharmacy and Applied Life Sciences, Aoba, Niigata, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 30:1891-4. 2007Site-directed mutagenesis was used to investigate the molecular interactions involved in prazosin binding to the human alpha(1b)-adrenergic receptor (alpha(1b)-AR) receptor...
- Prazosin administered prior to inescapable stressor blocks subsequent exaggeration of acoustic startle response in ratsSean T Manion
Neuroscience Program, Department of Psychiatry, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 86:559-65. 2007..The present study used this animal model to investigate the effects of prazosin, an alpha(1) adrenoceptor antagonist, on stress-induced elevation of acoustic startle response (ASR)...
- The alpha1-adrenergic receptor antagonist, prazosin, reduces alcohol drinking in alcohol-preferring (P) ratsDennis D Rasmussen
VISN 20 Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center, Mental Health Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:264-72. 2009..Accordingly, we tested the hypothesis that blockade of alpha(1)-adrenergic receptors will suppress alcohol drinking in rats selectively bred for alcohol preference (P line)...
- Combining naltrexone and prazosin in a single oral medication decreases alcohol drinking more effectively than does either drug aloneJanice C Froehlich
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 37:1763-70. 2013..Given that NTX and prazosin can each reduce alcohol drinking in rats selectively bred for alcohol preference and high voluntary alcohol ..
- Prazosin treatment of nightmares related to posttraumatic stress disorderMatthew R Dierks
School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:1013-7. 2007To describe current data evaluating the use of prazosin in adults with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) who are experiencing nightmares.
- Alpha-1D adrenoceptors are involved in reserpine-induced supersensitivity of rat tail arteryNaoyuki Taki
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Fukui Medical University, Matsuoka, Fukui 910 1193, Japan
Br J Pharmacol 142:647-56. 2004..b>Prazosin, a subtype-nonselective antagonist, blocked the responses to phenylephrine with the same potency, regardless of ..
- Enduring vulnerability to transient reinstatement of hemiplegia by prazosin after traumatic brain injuryD L Stibick
Department of Psychology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87131, USA
J Neurotrauma 18:303-12. 2001..This study used a within-subject, dose-response design to determine whether prazosin (PRAZ), an alpha1-NA antagonist, or propranolol (PROP), a beta-NA antagonist, would continue to reinstate ..
- Modulatory role of a constitutively active population of alpha(1D)-adrenoceptors in conductance arteriesKhalid Ziani
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universitat de Valencia, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 282:H475-81. 2002..in resting tone (IRT) that evidences it was observed only in iliac and proximal mesenteric and was inhibited by prazosin (pIC(50) = 9.57), 5-methylurapidil (pIC(50) = 7.61), and BMY 7378 (pIC(50) = 8.77)...
- Phe-308 and Phe-312 in transmembrane domain 7 are major sites of alpha 1-adrenergic receptor antagonist binding. Imidazoline agonists bind like antagonistsD J Waugh
Department of Molecular Cardiology NB5, The Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 276:25366-71. 2001..of either Phe-308 or Phe-312 resulted in significant losses of affinity (4-1200-fold) for the antagonists prazosin, WB4101, BMY7378, (+) niguldipine, and 5-methylurapidil, with no changes in affinity for phenethylamine-type ..
- Differential antagonism by conotoxin rho-TIA of contractions mediated by distinct alpha1-adrenoceptor subtypes in rat vas deferens, spleen and aortaVanessa Lima
Department of Pharmacology, Instituto de Biociencias, UNESP, Botucatu, SP 18618 000, Brazil
Eur J Pharmacol 508:183-92. 2005..It is concluded that rho-TIA will be useful for distinguishing the role of particular alpha1-adrenoceptor subtypes in native tissues...
- The alpha(1A)-adrenoceptor subtype mediates contraction in rat femoral resistance arteriesY P Jarajapu
Vascular Assessment Group, School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Cowcaddens Road, Glasgow G4 0BA, Scotland, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 422:127-35. 2001..b>Prazosin, 5-methyl-urapidil and 2-([2,6-dimethoxyphenoxyethyl]aminomethyl)-1,4-benzodioxane (WB 4101) produced rightward ..
- Prazosin effects on stress- and cue-induced craving and stress response in alcohol-dependent individuals: preliminary findingsHelen C Fox
The Connecticut Mental Health Center, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36:351-60. 2012..Here we report findings from a preliminary efficacy study of the alpha-1 receptor antagonist, prazosin, in modulating these relapse-relevant factors in alcohol-dependent individuals.
- Long-term administration of prazosin improves bladder storage function: results from a study in spontaneously hypertensive ratsNobuhiro Haga
Department of Urology, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Int J Urol 18:785-91. 2011To investigate the effects of long-term administration of the α(1) -adrenoceptor antagonist prazosin on afferent inputs from the lower urinary tract (LUT).
- Prazosin reduces alcohol drinking throughout prolonged treatment and blocks the initiation of drinking in rats selectively bred for high alcohol intakeJanice C Froehlich
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 37:1552-60. 2013This study examined whether prazosin reduces alcohol drinking over the course of prolonged treatment and whether it blocks the initiation of alcohol drinking in rats with a genetic predisposition toward high alcohol drinking, that is ..
- Reduction of nightmares and other PTSD symptoms in combat veterans by prazosin: a placebo-controlled studyMurray A Raskind
Northwest Network VISN 20 Mental Illness Research, Eduation, and Clinical Center, VA Puget Sound Healthcare System, Seattle, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:371-3. 2003b>Prazosin is a centrally active alpha(1) adrenergic antagonist. The authors' goal was to evaluate prazosin efficacy for nightmares, sleep disturbance, and overall posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in combat veterans.
- Regional heterogeneity of α-adrenoreceptor subtypes in arteriolar networks of mouse skeletal muscleAlex W Moore
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
J Physiol 588:4261-74. 2010..Phenylephrine (PE; α1AR agonist) evoked greater (P < 0.05) constriction in 3A (inhibited by 10(-8) m prazosin; α1AR antagonist) while UK 14304 (UK; α2AR agonist) evoked greater (P < 0...
- In vitro alpha1-adrenoceptor pharmacology of Ro 70-0004 and RS-100329, novel alpha1A-adrenoceptor selective antagonistsT J Williams
New Leads Discovery, Center for Biological Research, Neurobiology Unit, Roche Bioscience, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
Br J Pharmacol 127:252-8. 1999..Ro 70-0004 (aka RS-100975) and a structurally-related compound RS-100329, and compares them with those of prazosin and tamsulosin...
- Lateralization and catecholaminergic neuroimmunomodulation: prazosin, an alpha1/alpha2-adrenergic receptor antagonist, suppresses interleukin-1 and increases interleukin-10 production induced by lipopolysaccharidesJing Dong
Neurobiologie Intégrative U394, Institut Francois Magendie, Bordeaux, France
Neuroimmunomodulation 10:163-8. 2002....
- Prazosin versus quetiapine for nighttime posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in veterans: an assessment of long-term comparative effectiveness and safetyMelanie G Byers
Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 30:225-9. 2010..Nighttime symptoms are often unrelieved by selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor therapy, and increased use of prazosin or quetiapine for treatment is seen...
- Treatment of nightmares with prazosin: a systematic reviewSimon Kung
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:890-900. 2012..We performed a systematic review to evaluate the evidence for the use of prazosin in the treatment of nightmares...
- Prazosin for the treatment of behavioral symptoms in patients with Alzheimer disease with agitation and aggressionLucy Y Wang
VA Northwest Network Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center MIRECC, Seattle, WA 98115, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:744-51. 2009..b>Prazosin, a nonsedating generic medication used for hypertension and benign prostatic hypertrophy, antagonizes NE effects ..
- Management of scorpion sting: prazosin or dobutamineB D Gupta
Department of Pediatrics, Umaid Hospital for Women and Children, Regional Institute of Maternal and Child Health, Dr Sampurnanand Medical College, Jodhpur, India
J Trop Pediatr 56:115-8. 2010To compare the efficacy of Dobutamine and Prazosin in the management of cases with scorpion sting.
- The alpha1A-adrenoceptor gene is required for the alpha1L-adrenoceptor-mediated response in isolated preparations of the mouse prostateKt Gray
Prostate Research Co operative, Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Action, Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 155:103-9. 2008..Responses of mouse prostate to noradrenaline are known to be mediated by alpha1L-adrenoceptors, which are thought to be a functional phenotype of alpha1A-adrenoceptor...
- Haemodynamic effects of dicentrine, a novel alpha 1-adrenoceptor antagonist: comparison with prazosin in spontaneously hypertensive and normotensive Wistar-Kyoto ratsS M Yu
Pharmacological Institute, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei
Br J Pharmacol 106:797-801. 1992..an aporphine derivative isolated from the plant Lindera megaphylla, were investigated and compared with prazosin in rats. 2. In anaesthetized normotensive Wistar-Kyoto (WKY) rats, i.v. administration of dicentrine (0.1, 0.5, 1...
- Role of prazosin on cardiovascular manifestations and pulmonary edema following severe scorpion stings in Saudi ArabiaAbdulrahman K Al-Asmari
Department of Research Center and Medicine, Riyadh Military Hospital, Riyadh 11159, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 29:299-302. 2008We report the ameliorating effects of prazosin on the cardiovascular CV manifestations and pulmonary edema PE after treatment with antivenom AV failed to improve the conditions of scorpion stung patients...
- Tracing the flow of knowledge: geographic variability in the diffusion of prazosin use for the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder nationally in the Department of Veterans AffairsIlan Harpaz-Rotem
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:417-21. 2009..Preliminary evidence has emerged about the effectiveness of the alpha(1)-adrenergic blocker prazosin hydrochloride in the treatment of nightmares and hyperarousal among patients with posttraumatic stress disorder (..
- Prazosin treatment of trauma nightmares and sleep disturbance in soldiers deployed in IraqJess Calohan
Madigan Army Medical Center and VA Northwest Network Mental Illness, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, 1660 S Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
J Trauma Stress 23:645-8. 2010Trauma nightmares and sleep disturbance impair combat soldiers' functioning. The alpha-1 adrenoreceptor antagonist prazosin has been demonstrated effective for these symptoms in Vietnam veterans...
- Prazosin treatment in the management of scorpion envenomationErdal Peker
Department of Pediatrics, Yuzuncu Yil University School of Medicine, Van, Turkey
Hum Exp Toxicol 29:231-3. 2010..Alpha receptor stimulation plays important role in the pathogenesis of pulmonary edema. Prazosin, a post synaptic alpha blocker, can be recommended as an effective drug in the treatment of serious scorpion ..
- Prazosin for treatment of nightmares related to posttraumatic stress disorderHeather R Taylor
Walgreens Pharmacy, Selma, AL, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 65:716-22. 2008The efficacy of prazosin for the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)-related nightmares is reviewed.
- Gender-modulated endogenous baseline neuropeptide Y Y1-receptor activation in the hindlimb of Sprague-Dawley ratsDwayne N Jackson
Neurovascular Research Laboratory, School of Kinesiology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 3K7
J Physiol 562:285-94. 2005..vascular conductance was measured during infusion of BIBP3226 (Y(1)-receptor antagonist; 100 microg kg(-1)), prazosin (alpha(1)-receptor antagonist; 20 microg kg(-1)), and combined blockade...
- Influence of hypertension on lower urinary tract symptoms in benign prostatic hyperplasiaKimio Sugaya
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Uehara, Nishihara, Okinawa, Japan
Int J Urol 10:569-74; discussion 575. 2003..To clarify the influence of hypertension on lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) we examined the relationship between blood pressure, LUTS, and the effect of terazosin on LUTS in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Differences in the effects of alpha-1 adrenergic blockade with prazosin and indoramin on coronary blood flow during exerciseR J Bache
Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 245:232-7. 1988This study compared the effects of two selective alpha-1 adrenergic blockers, prazosin and indoramin, on the response of coronary blood flow and myocardial oxygen consumption during treadmill exercise in chronically instrumented dogs...
- Y1- and alpha1-receptor control of basal hindlimb vascular toneDwayne N Jackson
Neurovascular Research Laboratory, School of Kinesiology, Rm 3110, Thames Hall, Univ of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R228-33. 2004..volume infusion of N(2)-(diphenylacetyl)-N-[(4-hydroxyphenyl)methyl]-d-arginine amide (BIBP3226; 100 microg/kg), prazosin (20 microg/kg), and combined blockade to the left hindlimb. Vascular conductance increased 1.5 +/- 0.5 microl...
- Prazosin for the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder sleep disturbancesLisa J Miller
Department of Pharmacy, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Administration Medical Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Pharmacotherapy 28:656-66. 2008..Stimulation of these receptors may contribute to PTSD-related trauma-content nightmares. Prazosin, a highly lipophilic alpha(1)-adrenergic receptor blocker that is traditionally used to treat hypertension and ..
- Angiotensin II is a critical mediator of prazosin-induced angiogenesis in skeletal muscleMatthew C Petersen
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Microcirculation 14:583-91. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine whether a high-salt diet modulates physiological angiogenesis in skeletal muscle by altering angiotensin II (ANGII) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) levels...
- Combined administration of alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonist prazosin and beta-blocker propranolol impairs spatial avoidance learning on a dry arenaTomas Petrasek
Institute of Physiology AS CR, vvi, Prague, Czech Republic
Behav Brain Res 208:402-7. 2010..aimed at studying the effects of separate or combined systemic administration of the alpha1-adrenergic antagonist prazosin (1 and 2 mg/kg) and beta-blocker propranolol (5 and 20 mg/kg) on the hippocampus-dependent learning in the active ..
- Effects of prazosin, clonidine, and propranolol on the elevations in brain reward thresholds and somatic signs associated with nicotine withdrawal in ratsAdrie W Bruijnzeel
Department of Psychiatry, McKnight Brain Institute, University of Florida, 100 S Newell Dr, P O Box 100256, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 212:485-99. 2010..Increased noradrenergic transmission has been reported to play an important role in opioid withdrawal, but little is known about the role of noradrenergic transmission in nicotine withdrawal...
- Individual differences in the effects of chronic prazosin hydrochloride treatment on hippocampal mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptorsMohamed Kabbaj
Biomedical Sciences Department, College of Medicine and Neurosciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA
Eur J Neurosci 25:3312-8. 2007..alpha(1) antagonist (1-[4-amino-6,7-dimethoxy-2-quinazolinyl]-4-[2-furanylcarbonyl] piperazine) hydrochloride (prazosin) (0.5 mg/kg, i.p...
- Prazosin, an alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist, reduces cocaine-induced reinstatement of drug-seekingXiang Yang Zhang
Division of Substance Abuse, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Biol Psychiatry 57:1202-4. 2005Norepinephrine is implicated in cocaine's behavioral effects. In this study, we tested the effect of prazosin, an alpha1-adrenergic receptor antagonist, on cocaine-induced reinstatement of drug-seeking behavior.
- Dexmedetomidine enhances the local anesthetic action of lidocaine via an alpha-2A adrenoceptorTatsushi Yoshitomi
Department of Dental Anesthesiology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama 700 8525, Japan
Anesth Analg 107:96-101. 2008..Thus, we evaluated the effect of dexmedetomidine and other alpha-2 adrenoceptor agonists on the local anesthetic action of lidocaine at the periphery and explored the mechanism involved...
- A pilot trial of the alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist, prazosin, for alcohol dependenceTracy L Simpson
Center of Excellence in Substance Abuse Treatment and Education, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:255-63. 2009..Theory and preclinical evidence suggest that noradrenergic circuits may be involved in alcohol reinforcement and relapse. We therefore tested the alpha-1 adrenergic receptor antagonist, prazosin, as a pharmacotherapy for AD.
- Daytime prazosin reduces psychological distress to trauma specific cues in civilian trauma posttraumatic stress disorderFletcher B Taylor
Rainier Associates, Tacoma, Washington 98467, USA
Biol Psychiatry 59:577-81. 2006..trauma-related nightmares improve or resolve with bedtime administration of the alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist prazosin often continue to experience PTSD symptoms during the day...
- Utility of scorpion antivenin vs prazosin in the management of severe Mesobuthus tamulus (Indian red scorpion) envenoming at rural settingH S Bawaskar
Bawaskar Hospital and Research Center, Mahad, Dist Raigad Maharashtra, India 402 301
J Assoc Physicians India 55:14-21. 2007..Since 1983 the advent of prazosin revolutionized the management of severe scorpion sting...
- Anti-angiogenic effects and mechanism of prazosinChun Hou Liao
Department of Surgery, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan
Prostate 71:976-84. 2011Alpha1-adrenoceptors antagonists (doxazosin, terazosin, prazosin) are commonly prescribed for benign prostate hyperplasia and hypertension...
- Pumpkin seed oil and phytosterol-F can block testosterone/prazosin-induced prostate growth in ratsYuh Shyan Tsai
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Department of Urology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Urol Int 77:269-74. 2006This study was undertaken to investigate the effects of pumpkin seed oil alone or combined with Phytosterol-F on testosterone/prazosin-induced (T-P) prostate growth in rats.
- Efficacy of anti-scorpion venom serum over prazosin in the management of severe scorpion envenomationV S Natu
Vijayashree Hospital, Umroli, Chiplun, India corrected
J Postgrad Med 56:275-80. 2010Scorpion venoms cause a massive release of neurotransmitters. Either anti-scorpion venom serum (AScVS) or prazosin has been used in the management of severe scorpion envenomation.
- Influence of prazosin and clonidine on morphine analgesia, tolerance and withdrawal in miceUmit Kazim Ozdogan
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Turku, Itainen Pitkakatu 4, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
Eur J Pharmacol 460:127-34. 2003..We examined the effects of clonidine (alpha(2)-adrenoceptor agonist) and prazosin (alpha(1)-adrenoceptor antagonist) on morphine analgesia, tolerance and withdrawal...
- Basal forebrain cholinergic immunolesion by 192IgG-saporin: evidence for a presynaptic location of subpopulations of alpha 2- and beta-adrenergic as well as 5-HT2A receptors on cortical cholinergic terminalsM Heider
Paul Flechsig Institute for Brain Research, University Leipzig, Germany
Neurochem Res 22:957-66. 1997..The lesion-induced receptor changes suggest that the alterations in cortical 5-HT2 receptor binding observed in patients with Alzheimer's disease might be secondary to cholinergic deficits...
- Identification of binding sites of prazosin, tamsulosin and KMD-3213 with alpha(1)-adrenergic receptor subtypes by molecular modelingMasaji Ishiguro
Suntory Institute for Bioorganic Research, 1 1 1 Wakayamadai, Shimahon cho, Mishima gun, Osaka, Japan
Life Sci 71:2531-41. 2002..The alpha(1)-antagonists used in this study were prazosin, tamsulosin and KMD-3213...
- Pre- and post-training infusion of prazosin into the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis impaired acquisition and retention in a Morris water maze taskHsiu Chen Chen
Department of Psychology, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Chin J Physiol 47:49-59. 2004..Groups of rats received intra-BNST infusion of vehicle, norepinephrine, prazosin or both drugs shortly before or after each daily training session, or shortly before retention tests...
- Enhanced arteriolar alpha-adrenergic constriction impairs dilator responses and skeletal muscle perfusion in obese Zucker ratsJefferson C Frisbee
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Rd, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:764-72. 2004..were challenged with dilator stimuli under control conditions and after blockade of alpha-adrenoreceptors with prazosin, phentolamine, or yohimbine...
- Endothelial NOS is main mediator for shear stress-dependent angiogenesis in skeletal muscle after prazosin administrationOliver Baum
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Universitatsklinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Königin Luise Str 15, D 14195 Berlin Dahlem, Germany
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H2300-8. 2004..increase of wall shear stress in capillaries by oral administration of the alpha1-adrenergic receptor antagonist prazosin induces angiogenesis in skeletal muscles...
- Prazosin: a pharmacological antidote for scorpion envenomationV Gupta
J Trop Pediatr 52:150-1. 2006
- Suppression of human prostate cancer cell growth by alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonists doxazosin and terazosin via induction of apoptosisN Kyprianou
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and University of Maryland Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Cancer Res 60:4550-5. 2000..This evidence provides the rationale for targeting both drugs, already in clinical use and with established adverse-effect profiles, against prostatic tumors for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer...
- Prazosin effects on objective sleep measures and clinical symptoms in civilian trauma posttraumatic stress disorder: a placebo-controlled studyFletcher B Taylor
Northwest Network VISN 20 Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Biol Psychiatry 63:629-32. 2008b>Prazosin, a central nervous system (CNS) active alpha-1 adrenoreceptor antagonist, has reduced nightmares and sleep disturbance in placebo-controlled studies of combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Prazosin displays anticancer activity against human prostate cancers: targeting DNA and cell cycleSsu Chia Lin
School of Pharmacy, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Neoplasia 9:830-9. 2007..However, there are few studies elucidating the effect of prazosin. In this study, prazosin displayed antiproliferative activity superior to that of other alpha1-blockers, ..
- Differences in the subcellular localization of alpha1-adrenoceptor subtypes can affect the subtype selectivity of drugs in a study with the fluorescent ligand BODIPY FL-prazosinTatsuo Sugawara
Department of Molecular, Cell Pharmacology, National Children s Medical Research Center, Tokyo, Japan
Life Sci 70:2113-24. 2002..In the present study, we used flow cytometry analysis with the fluorescent ligand, BODIPY FL-prazosin, to study the relationship between the subcellular distribution of subtype receptors and the subtype-selective ..
- The alpha1-adrenergic antagonist prazosin improves sleep and nightmares in civilian trauma posttraumatic stress disorderFletcher Taylor
Rainier Associates, Tacoma, WA 98467, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:82-5. 2002..b>Prazosin is an alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonist commonly used as an antihypertensive agent...
- Enhancer aided in vitro permeation of atenolol and prazosin hydrochloride through mice skinL H Reddy
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, V.L. College of Pharmacy, Raichur, India
Indian J Exp Biol 39:47-51. 2001Effect of penetration enhancers were studied on the permeation of antihypertensive drugs prazosin hydrochloride and atenolol through full thickness skin of swiss albino mice...
- Prazosin reduces trauma-related nightmares in older men with chronic posttraumatic stress disorderElaine R Peskind
Department of Veterans Affairs Northwest Network Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 16:165-71. 2003..PTSD secondary to military or Holocaust trauma were prescribed the lipophilic alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist prazosin for treatment-resistant trauma-related nightmares...
- Preparation and characterization of inclusion complexes of prazosin hydrochloride with beta-cyclodextrin and hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrinLongxiao Liu
Zhejiang University, College of Pharmaceutical Science, Hangzhou 310027, People s Republic of China
J Pharm Biomed Anal 40:122-7. 2006The slightly water-soluble drug prazosin hydrochloride (PRH) and its inclusion with either beta-cyclodextrin (betaCD) or hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin (HPbetaCD) were investigated...
- Addition of a signal peptide sequence to the alpha1D-adrenoceptor gene increases the density of receptors, as determined by [3H]-prazosin binding in the membranesRamona Petrovska
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Unit of Pharmacology, Uppsala University, Box 591, BMC, Uppsala SE 751 24, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 144:651-9. 2005..We show that the density of alpha1D-adrenoceptors, observed by [3H]-prazosin binding, gradually increased with longer truncations of the N-terminus...
- Clinical case series: the use of Prazosin for combat-related recurrent nightmares among Operation Iraqi Freedom combat veteransChristine Maura Daly
Department of Psychiatry, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA 98431, USA
Mil Med 170:513-5. 2005..On the basis of reports that the brain-accessible alpha1-adrenergic antagonist Prazosin substantially reduced chronic combat-related nightmares among Vietnam War veterans, we evaluated Prazosin effects ..
- Prazosin reduces nightmares in combat veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderMurray A Raskind
Northwest Network Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington, Seattle 98108, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 63:565-8. 2002Preclinical and clinical observations suggest that the centrally active alpha1-adrenergic antagonist prazosin might alleviate trauma content nightmares and other symptoms in combat veterans with chronic posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Urodynamic effects of terazosin treatment for Japanese patients with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasiaYoshinori Tanaka
Department of Urology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Urol 167:2492-5. 2002..terazosin hydrochloride daily has been routinely used in North America and Europe. We investigated the urodynamic effects of 2 mg. terazosin daily on Japanese patients with symptomatic BPH using pressure flow study...
- Combined terazosin and verapamil therapy in essential hypertension. Hemodynamic and pharmacokinetic interactionsM L Lenz
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Hypertens 8:133-45. 1995..The orthostasis seen in some patients appears to be due to the combined vasodilatory effects rather than negative ionotropic or chronotropic effects...
- Truncated isoforms inhibit [3H]prazosin binding and cellular trafficking of native human alpha1A-adrenoceptorsF Coge
Institut de Recherches Servier, Division de Pharmacologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, 125 Chemin de Ronde, 78 290 Croissy sur Seine, France
Biochem J 343:231-9. 1999..The 7TMalpha(1A)-AR isoforms transiently expressed in COS-7 cells bound [(3)H]prazosin with high affinity (K(d) 0...
- Noradrenaline acting on alpha1-adrenoceptor mediates REM sleep deprivation-induced increased membrane potential in rat brain synaptosomesGitanjali Das
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110067, India
Neurochem Int 52:734-40. 2008....
- Cocaine-induced hypophagia and hyperlocomotion in rats are attenuated by prazosinPaul Wellman
Department of Psychology, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4235, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 455:117-26. 2002The present studies examined the effects of antagonizing alpha(1)-adrenoceptors via systemic administration of prazosin on the behavioral actions of cocaine in rats, including induction of locomotion and suppression of eating...
- The functional alpha-adrenoceptor in dog caudal vesical arteries is mainly an alpha1A subtypeM Nakazawa
Department of Pharmacology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 22:253-9. 2002..3 Prazosin at 0.01 microM and rauwolscine at 0.1 microM failed to affect the NA-induced vasoconstriction. Prazosin at 0...
- Effects of imipramine on the expression and development of morphine dependence in miceMohammad Reza Zarrindast
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 13145 784, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Pharmacol 473:19-25. 2003..The alpha2-adrenoceptor antagonist, yohimbine (4 mg/kg), itself but not the alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonist, prazosin (1 mg/kg), increased jumping and decreased the imipramine effect...
- Immunohistochemical and functional evidence for a noradrenergic regulation in the horse penile deep dorsal veinP Recio
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Int J Impot Res 16:486-91. 2004..channel-blockers (guanethidine and tetrodotoxin, respectively) and of alpha1- and alpha2-adrenergic antagonists (prazosin and rauwolscine, respectively)...
- Effect of clonidine on colonic motility in ratsTeruyasu Umezawa
Department of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, Showa University, Hatanodai 1 5 8, Shinagawa, Tokyo 142 8555, Japan
Auton Neurosci 107:32-6. 2003..by pre-administration of yohimbine, an alpha(2)-adrenoceptor antagonist, but not by pre-administration of prazosin, an alpha(1)-adrenoceptor antagonist...
- Potentiation by yohimbine of alpha-adrenoceptor-mediated vasoconstriction in response to clonidine in the rabbit ear veinDing Zhao
School of Pharmacy, Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, Hebei, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 589:201-5. 2008..94+/-11.18% and 88.78+/-11.54% of the maximum response to noradrenaline, respectively. Prazosin 0...
- Tail arteries from chronically spinalized rats have potentiated responses to nerve stimulation in vitroMelanie Yeoh
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
J Physiol 556:545-55. 2004..At both stages, the alpha-adrenoceptor antagonists prazosin (10 nm) and idazoxan (0.1 microm) produced less blockade of nerve-evoked contraction in spinalized arteries...
- Effect of the vascular endothelium on contractions induced by noradrenaline and phenylephrine in perforating branch of the human internal mammary arterySrdan Pesic
Department of Pharmacology, Medical Faculty, 81 Braće Tasković, 18000 Nis, Yugoslavia
Pol J Pharmacol 55:581-93. 2003..The effects of selective alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonist, prazosin and selective alpha2-adrenoceptor antagonist, rauwolscine were concentration-dependent, and they induced a ..
- Norepinephrine activates extracellular-regulated kinase in cortical neuronsLara M Tolbert
Departments of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06508, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:983-93. 2003..The influence of norepinephrine on the phosphorylation of extracellular-regulated protein kinase is characterized...
- Carvedilol blockade of rat myocardial alpha1-adrenoceptorsEirik Qvigstad
Department of Pharmacology, University of Oslo, P O Box 1057 Blindern, N 0316 Oslo, Norway
Eur J Pharmacol 481:83-9. 2003..Thus, carvedilol antagonizes the myocardial alpha(1)-adrenoceptors with a 9-fold lower potency than the beta-adrenoceptors. Antagonism of myocardial alpha(1)-adrenoceptor evoked effects may contribute to clinical effects of carvedilol...
- Evidence that alpha(1B)-adrenoceptors are involved in noradrenaline-induced contractions of rat tail arterySven Jähnichen
Institute of Pharmacy, Free University of Berlin, Konigin Luise Str 2 4, Berlin 14195, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 488:157-67. 2004..55) were antagonized in a competitive manner by prazosin (pK(B) 9.24), tamsulosin (pK(B) 8...
- Alpha-1 adrenoceptor agonists generate a "fast" NMDA receptor-independent motor rhythm in the neonatal rat spinal cordH Gabbay
Dept of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The Hebrew University Medical School, P O Box 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Neurophysiol 92:997-1010. 2004..The fast rhythm was blocked by 1 microM of the alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonist prazosin but not by 1-20 microM of the alpha2-adrenoceptor blocker yohimbine, it could be initiated and maintained by ..
- Activation of subfornical organ neurons in rats through pre- and postsynaptic alpha-adrenoceptorsEiko Honda
Department of Biosciences, Kyushu Dental College, 2 6 1 Manazuru, Kokurakitaku, Kitakyushu 803 8580 Japan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R1646-53. 2006..The phenylephrine-induced inward currents were inhibited by the alpha1-antagonist prazosin. The alpha2-agonist clonidine decreased the frequency of spontaneous GABAergic inhibitory postsynaptic currents (..
- Noradrenergic stimulation within midbrain raphe increases electrolyte excretion in ratsP L Cedraz-Mercez
Department of Physiological Sciences, Biology Institute, Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro, BR465, Km 7, 23890 000, Seropedica, RJ, Brazil
Exp Physiol 92:923-31. 2007..42 and 4.2 nmol in 0.2 microl) or the alpha(1)-adrenergic antagonist prazosin (PRZ, 0.24 and 2.4 nmol in 0.2 microl). (2) Intra-MRN microinjections of saline, IDZ (4.2 nmol in 0...
- Potential vascular alpha1-adrenoceptor blocking properties of an array of 5-HT receptor ligands in the ratDavid Centurión
Departamento de Farmacobiologia, Cinvestav Coapa, Czda de los Tenorios 235, Col Granjas Coapa, 14330 Mexico D F, Mexico
Eur J Pharmacol 535:234-42. 2006..The adrenoceptor antagonist properties of prazosin (alpha1) and yohimbine (alpha2) were also analysed for comparison...
- Alpha1L-adrenoceptors mediate contractions of the isolated mouse prostateKatherine T Gray
Prostate Research Co operative, Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University, 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria, 3052, Australia
Eur J Pharmacol 540:155-61. 2006..Concentration-response curves to noradrenaline of the prostatic smooth muscle were antagonised by prazosin, N-[2-(2-cyclopropylmethoxyphenoxy)ethyl]-5-chloro-alpha, alpha-dimethyl-1H-indole-3-ethanamine (RS-17053), 2-(2,..
- Selective agonists reveal alpha(1A)- and alpha(1B)-adrenoceptor subtypes in caudal artery of the young ratJ Pares-Hipolito
Departamento de Farmacobiologia, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados Sede Sur, Mexico, D F
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 26:371-8. 2006..methanesulfonamide) or to phenylephrine and to prazosin (alpha(1)-adrenoceptor antagonist), or the selective alpha(1A)-adrenoceptor antagonists 5-methylurapidil, RS ..
- Characterization of the postjunctional alpha 2C-adrenoceptor mediating vasoconstriction to UK14304 in porcine pulmonary veinsT Görnemann
Institut fur Pharmazie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 151:186-94. 2007..Therefore, we characterized the alpha(2)-adrenoceptor subtypes mediating contraction in isolated porcine pulmonary veins...
- Alpha1-adrenergic receptor stimulation induces the expression of receptor activator of nuclear factor kappaB ligand gene via protein kinase C and extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathways in MC3T3-E1 osteoblast-like cellsToshihiro Nishiura
Section of Biochemistry, Department of Functional Bioscience, Fukuoka Dental College, 2 15 1 Tamura, Sawara ku, Fukuoka 814 0193, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 52:778-85. 2007..Osteoblastic cells have been demonstrated to express alpha(1)-adrenergic receptors...
- Adolescent Alcohol,Dysregulated Stress System, and PTSD VulnerabilityGERHARD H SCHULTEIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim 3 will examine whether systemically active CRF (e.g. MPZP) and NE (e.g. prazosin) antagonists can reverse PTSD-like consequences in the social defeat trauma model refined in Aim 1, and any ..
- Does doxazosin attenuate stress-induced smoking and improve clinical outcomes?SHERRY ANN MCKEE; Fiscal Year: 2012..preliminary data on stress reactivity in the laboratory with a selective alpha-1 adrenergic receptor antagonist, prazosin, supporting a role for alpha-1 adrenergic receptors in stress-induced tobacco relapse...
- Rodent Model of PTSD-like conditions-Role of Noradrenergic SystemSHANAZ MOHAMMEDALI TEJANI BUTT; Fiscal Year: 2010..noradrenergic activity in the prefrontal cortex, amygdala and hippocampus;2) to evaluate whether treatments with prazosin or propranolol will differentially ameliorate the behavioral and neuroanatomical outcomes measured in Aim 1 in ..
- Center for Neuroregulation in Alcohol Dependence (CeNiAD)Andrew J Saxon; Fiscal Year: 2010..CeNiAD) grew from the clinical observation that the CNS active generic CM adrenoreceptor (AR) antagonist prazosin reduced or eliminated alcohol drinking in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and comorbid alcohol ..
- Noradrenergic Agents As Potential New Pharmacotherapies for Alcohol DrinkingDennis D Rasmussen; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Our recent studies suggest that prazosin - a safe, well-characterized, well-tolerated, orally active, inexpensive, FDA-approved 11-adrenergic receptor antagonist - may provide a much-needed ..
- Doxazosin an a1 Antagonist for Alcohol DependenceGEORGE ANTHONY KENNA; Fiscal Year: 2012..a new pharmacological target for AD, recent studies have shown that the prototype a1 NE receptor antagonist prazosin reduces alcohol drinking in different animal models...
- Effect of Prazosin on Alcohol Craving, Stress Dysregulation and Alcohol RelapseRajita Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2013..double blind, placebo-controlled combined laboratory and clinical outcome study to test the efficacy of Prazosin (PZ) in decreasing alcohol craving, anxiety, stress dysregulation and alcohol use outcomes in treatment seeking ..
- Neural Mechanisms of Change During Alcohol Use DisorderTreatment with PrazosinCLAIRE WILCOX; Fiscal Year: 2013..utilize fMRI and other measures to investigate the mechanisms of effect (and explore predictors of effect) of prazosin, an alpha 1 antagonist, on drinking...
- Mechanisms of Increased Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Intradialytic HypertensionPeter Noel Van Buren; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>prazosin on ambulatory blood pressure, vascular resistance, and mediators of vascular resistance in patients with ..
- Clinical Trials of the Adrenergic a-1 Antagonist Prazosin for Alcohol DependenceTracy L Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Neuropharmacology of alcohol and prazosin: Emerging pre-clinical evidence shows that noradrenergic systems are involved in brain processes relevant to AD, ..
- Stimulant Pharmacotherapy: Noradrenergic TargetsTHOMAS RICHARD KOSTEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..2. To conduct two clinical trials of agents modulating NE activity through alpha 1-NE blockade (prazosin and carvedilol) or NE reduction by inhibiting dopamine beta hydroxylase (Proj 2 &3). 3...
- BAROREFLEX AND POSTERIOR HYPOTHALAMIC NEUROPEPTIDE-YJohn Martin; Fiscal Year: 1991..in sympathetic and/or parasympathetic nerve activity, the effect of pretreatment of animals with propranolol, prazosin, and/or methylatropine on the NPY- and CCH-induced changes in the cardiovascular system will be evaluated...
- NEUROCHEMICALS IN HYPOTHALAMIC SIGNALING AFTER COITUSK Y Pau; Fiscal Year: 2000..NET) mRNAs occurs by 15-min postcoitus in locus coeruleus (LC), while intrahypothalamic infusion of either prazosin (alpha1 adrenergic blocker) or desipramine (NET blocker) alters the GnRH/LH surge. The P.I...
- Medication Development for Protracted Abstinence in AlcoholismBarbara J Mason; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim 4-human) we have identified 5 drugs (aprepitant, levetiracetam, zonisamide, oxcarbazepine, prazosin) hypothesized to normalize the dysregulated brain systems related to the negative emotional states and craving ..
- Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative StudyPaul S Aisen; Fiscal Year: 2013..early results supporting an adrenergic approach amelioration of behavioral symptoms with a multicenter trial of prazosin. Aim 3: Design new instruments for use in clinical trials...
- MEDICAL THERAPY IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAMichael Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2001..Both of these drugs as well as other alpha blockers, such as doxazosin and prazosin, now are being used widely in the United States and around the world, both by urologists and primary care ..
- Clinical Pharmacology of 3,4-Methylenedioxy AmphetaminesJohn E Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Experiment 5 we will investigate the effect of the alpha-blocker prazosin on the response to MDMA. Alpha-blockers may attenuate MDMA actions in humans...
- SYSTEMIC AND LOCAL REGULATION OF MYOMETRIAL ACTIVITYJorge Figueroa; Fiscal Year: 1993..the effects of continuous local administration of oxytocin, phenylephrine and the alpha 1 adrenergic antagonist prazosin on: myometrial activity; uterine oxytocin responsiveness; and myometrial oxytocin and alpha adrenergic receptors...
- ALPHA-ADRENOCEPTOR SUBTYPE & CL CURRENT IN PAROTID ACINICHARLES BOCKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..of whole-cell Ca2+-dependent Cl- currents in the presence and absence of 5-methylurapidil, WB-4101, and prazosin will be used to determine the alpha1-AR subtype coupled to Cl- efflux and fluid secretion...
- COCAINE ABUSE & EXERCISE INDUCED HEATSTROKEPETER LOMAX; Fiscal Year: 1990..Drugs which modify central adrenergic function (prazosin and clonidine) will be tested for their ability to prevent the onset of hyperthermia and to ameliorate ..
- ALPHA ADRENERGIC REGULATION OF THE VASCULAR NA+ PUMPStephen Navran; Fiscal Year: 1992..by monitoring ouabain-sensitive 86Rb uptake, 22Na influx and numbers of alpha 1 and alpha 2 receptors by (3H) prazosin and (3H) yohimbine binding...
- Methamphetamine Pharmacotherapy Development CenterJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2009..that we propose examining are the alpha-2 agonist clonidine, the beta-blocker carvedilol, the alpha-l antagonist prazosin, and the norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor atomoxetine...
- ALPHA 1-ADRENERGIC RECEPTORS & SMOOTH MUSCLE RESPONSESRobert Brown; Fiscal Year: 1992..will be detergent solubilized from DDT-1 smooth muscle cells and purified using derivatives of the antagonist prazosin as ligands for affinity chromatography. Endogenous G proteins will also be identified and purified DDT-1 cells...
- ABNORMAL SODIUM CHANNEL REGULATION IN HUMAN HYPERTENSIONJAMES BUBIEN; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, the efficacy of amiloride, triamterene, prazosin, and terazosin on abnormal lymphocyte ASSCs will be evaluated...
- VASOPRESSIN & ALPHA-ADRENOCEPTORS--ELDERLY HYPERTENSIONHaralambos Gavras; Fiscal Year: 1990..by blood pressure responses to a V1 inhibitor) after salt loading or sympathetic inhibiton (by clonidine or prazosin) and to test the effect of salt-loading on alpha2-adrenoceptors of salt-sensitive and salt-resistant ..
- Psychostimulants and Alpha-1 Adrenoceptor SubtypesPaul Wellman; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will advance our understanding of the behavioral functions of brain a l-AR subtypes and may lead to the identification of new drugs that inhibit eating without activating brain reinforcement systems. ..
- Prazosin for Noncombat Trauma PTSDMurray Raskind; Fiscal Year: 2008..a double-blind placebo-controlled augmentation trial of the generically available alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist prazosin in chronic posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) caused by noncombat ("civilian") trauma...
- Psychopathology of Alzheimer's: APOE and the HPA AxisMurray Raskind; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aim 3. To determine the effect of CSF cortisol concentrations on cognitive decline and on incidence of mild cognitive impairment and probable AD among nondemented older persons with the APOE-E4 allele followed longitudinally. ..
- Heavy Metal and Drug Self-Administration: MechanismsPAUL JEFFERSON WELLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..e., lead contamination and cocaine use. Based on the available literature, there is reason to believe that environmental pollutants may increase vulnerability to drug addiction. ..
- Aging Effects on a-Adrenergic Activity in Female BladderNatalia Dmitrieva; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of these studies will be the basis for developing a longer research program. ..
- Hyperthermia: Uncoupling the agony from EcstasyJON SPRAGUE; Fiscal Year: 2007..thyrotoxic [unreadable] crisis). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Vascular tone and blood pressure control during exerciseJohn Buckwalter; Fiscal Year: 2005..This is an issue of fundamental importance that may have important implications for individuals with peripheral vascular disease. ..
- Ecstasy's neurotoxicity: role of hyperthermiaJON SPRAGUE; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- EXTRAHYPOTHALAMIC AVP: SYNTHESIS AND SECRETIONAdam Chodobski; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will form the basis for development of pathological models and, consequently, effective therapies for the treatment of CNS disorders, such as trauma, SAH, and stroke. ..
- Cholinergic and GABAergic Mechanisms in the Septohippocampal PathwayMeenakshi Alreja; Fiscal Year: 2010..The above hypothesis will be tested using electrophysiological, immunohistochemical and NO visualization techniques in rodent brain slices. ..
- Organic Nitrate Metabolism, Tolerance and ActionHo Leung Fung; Fiscal Year: 2010..believe that our studies can provide new and meaningful data that will contribute to the establishment of a unifying mechanism for organic nitrate action and deleterious effects, and lead to their better therapeutic use ..
- NTS Adenosine Receptors in Cardiovascular ControlDONAL S O apos LEARY; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- CARDIOVASCULAR CONCOMITANTS OF ULTRASONIC VOCALIZATIONSMark Blumberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..Through these approaches, an integrated view of the varied mechanisms by which infant and adult mammals regulate cardiovascular function during physiological and behavioral challenges will emerge. ..
- ALCOHOL AND MESOLIMBIC DOPAMINE PATHWAYQINGSHAN YAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will elucidate the relative contribution of 5-HT2 receptors to the regulation of ethanol-induced DA release and help to explain the effects of 5-HT2 antagonists on alcohol consumption reported in the literature. ..
- REGULATION OF CEREBRAL ARTERY DILATIONMark T Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Toxicokinetics and Toxicodynamics of GHB and PrecursorsHo Leung Fung; Fiscal Year: 2004..A pharmacogenetic mapping of the pharmacological effects of GHB will be obtained. The effects of tolerance development, withdrawal, gender, receptor blockade on these effects will be examined. ..
- GABA Medications for Tobacco AddictionMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of this study will provide valuable information to develop new pharmacotherapies for smoking cessation. ..
- ALCOHOL EFFECTS ON OPIOMELANOCORTINERGIC REGULATIONDENNIS RASMUSSEN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Mechanisms of altered venous tone in hypertensionALEX PEREZ RIVERA; Fiscal Year: 2005..Answers to these questions will provide a basic understanding of venous function that could lead to better pharmacological approaches not only for hypertension treatment but also for any disease in which there is a vein dysfunction. ..
- TNF Alters Renal Tubular Function in DiabetesFrank Gesek; Fiscal Year: 2005..Complementary techniques are used to examine alterations in vivo and at the cellular level. Our studies provide insights into the earliest changes that occur in DT due to the cytokine TNF. ..
- AMPHETAMINE-LIKE STIMULANTS: NOREPINEPHRINE & BEHAVIORCRAIG BERRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Information obtained in these studies may provide insight into mechanisms subserving, and treatment of, stimulant drug abuse. ..
- Neurobiology of Orexin/Hypocretin-Induced ArousalCRAIG BERRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide a better understanding of the neurobiology of orexin, the neurobiology of sleep and waking, and the potential role of orexin in narcolepsy and other disorders of arousal. ..
- Dopamine Mechanisms and Receptors in Raphe 5-HT NeuronsSamir Haj Dahmane; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Conference--Smooth MuscleMark Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2003..The extensive opportunities for informal interactions will allow investigators at all levels to meet new colleagues, explore new ideas and techniques, and develop new collaborations. ..
- IS NON-ADHERENCE A REVEALED PREFERENCELeslie Lenert; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will also use an expert panel to assess the clinical match between patients' regimens and their preferences. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF MDR REVERSING POLYENESMERRITT ANDRUS; Fiscal Year: 2003..This is an important first step toward a molecular understanding of the unique recognition properties, transport mechanism of Pgp, and will further facilitate the design of new, more potent reversal agents. ..
- Toxicokinetics and Toxicodynamics of Nitrite InhalantsHo Leung Fung; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe that our proposal represents novel approaches toward the understanding of nitrite inhalant toxicity in vivo. ..
- Antisense Antiviral Agent for West Nile InfectionsPatrick Iversen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 3: Investigate cellular drug transport, protein binding, and physical characteristics, as well as establish a formulation for future animal pharmacokinetic and toxicology studies. ..
- Mechanism of Disulfiram-Induced Cocaine AbstinenceDavid Weinshenker; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Long-Term Neural Determinants of Cardiovascular DiseasesJohn Osborn; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Approaches for Burn Injury Cardiac DysfunctionAtsuko Yatani; Fiscal Year: 2009..D. The name of the principal investigator/program director must be provided at the top of each printed page and each continuation page. RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- NEUROCHEMISTRY OF AMPHETAMINE INDUCED AROUSALCRAIG BERRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Information obtained in these studies may provide insight into mechanisms underlying, and future treatment of, stimulant drug abuse, ADHD and narcolepsy. ..
- Vascular Structure and Function with AgingBrad Behnke; Fiscal Year: 2008..No page numbering necessary. Not to exceed 3 publications; 2 for predoctoral candidates.) E Check if Appendix is included ..
- Regulation of the Endothelial Cell GlycocalyxBrian Duling; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experiments offer the potential for understanding a new level of microvascular regulation, and for developing strategies to understand the intracellular signaling that leads to modification of the glycocalyx. ..
- Mechanisms of Peripheral Microvascular DiseaseDavid Stepp; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanism of Ca2+ Sensitization in Smooth MuscleToshio Kitazawa; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- CORONARY ARTERY REGULATION BY CA2+SIGNALING & ESTROGENMark Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2003..This work should also suggest novel mechanisms for therapeutic interventions to mimic the beneficial effects of estrogen and nitric oxide on calcium signaling in coronary arteries. ..