Genomes and Genes
Summary: A methyl xanthine derivative from tea with diuretic, smooth muscle relaxant, bronchial dilation, cardiac and central nervous system stimulant activities. Theophylline inhibits the 3',5'-CYCLIC NUCLEOTIDE PHOSPHODIESTERASE that degrades CYCLIC AMP thus potentiates the actions of agents that act through ADENYLATE CYCLASE and cyclic AMP.
Publications325 found, 100 shown here
- Production of piglets derived from in vitro-produced blastocysts fertilized and cultured in chemically defined media: effects of theophylline, adenosine, and cysteine during in vitro fertilizationKoji Yoshioka
National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0856, Japan
Biol Reprod 69:2092-9. 2003..fertilization (IVF) and in vitro culture (IVC) of in vitro-matured porcine oocytes, we evaluated the effects of theophylline, adenosine, and cysteine in a chemically defined medium during IVF...
- Histone acetylation and deacetylation: importance in inflammatory lung diseasesP J Barnes
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, London SW3 6LY, UK
Eur Respir J 25:552-63. 2005..The reduction in histone deacetylase activity can be restored by theophylline, which may be able to reverse steroid resistance in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and other ..
- Direct effects of caffeine and theophylline on p110 delta and other phosphoinositide 3-kinases. Differential effects on lipid kinase and protein kinase activitiesLazaros C Foukas
Department of Physiology, National Institute of Occupational Health, 0033 Oslo, Norway
J Biol Chem 277:37124-30. 2002..IC(50) = 75 microm for p110 delta, 400 microm for p110 alpha and p110 beta, and 1 mm for p110 gamma), and theophylline has similar effects (IC(50) = 75 microm for p110 delta, 300 microm for p110 alpha, and 800 microm for p110 beta ..
- Salmeterol plus theophylline combination therapy in the treatment of COPDR L ZuWallack
Section of Pulmonary Medicine, St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, CT 06105, USA
Chest 119:1661-70. 2001..Salmeterol and theophylline are indicated for the treatment of COPD, but the use of these agents in combination has not been extensively ..
- Free energy calculations for theophylline binding to an RNA aptamer: Comparison of MM-PBSA and thermodynamic integration methodsHiroaki Gouda
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Biopolymers 68:16-34. 2003..120, pp. 9401-9409) to study the interaction of an RNA aptamer with theophylline and its analogs...
- TheophyllinePeter J Barnes
1 National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 188:901-6. 2013b>Theophylline (dimethylxanthine) has been used to treat airway diseases for more than 80 years...
- Engineering naturally occurring trans-acting non-coding RNAs to sense molecular signalsLei Qi
The UC Berkeley and UCSF Graduate Program in Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 40:5775-86. 2012....
- Zero-order release of aspirin, theophylline and atenolol in water from novel methylcellulose glutarate matrix tabletsA Khairuzzaman
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Long Island University, University Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
Int J Pharm 318:15-21. 2006..Aspirin, theophylline and atenolol tablets were compacted on a Carver press using the wet granulation method...
- Differential expression of genes encoding constitutive and inducible 20S proteasomal core subunits in the testis and epididymis of theophylline- or 1,3-dinitrobenzene-exposed ratsMark W Tengowski
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Biol Reprod 76:149-63. 2007b>Theophylline (THP) and 1,3-dinitrobenzene (DNB) are thought to induce infertility by incapacitating the nurturing Sertoli cells and causing germ cell apoptosis in the testicular seminiferous epithelium, respectively...
- Adaptive recognition by nucleic acid aptamersT Hermann
Cellular Biochemistry and Biophysics Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 287:820-5. 2000..These basic principles of discriminatory molecular interactions in aptamer complexes parallel recognition events central to many cellular processes involving nucleic acids...
- A molecular mechanism of action of theophylline: Induction of histone deacetylase activity to decrease inflammatory gene expressionKazuhiro Ito
Thoracic Medicine, Imperial College School of Science, Technology, and Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8921-6. 2002The molecular mechanism for the anti-inflammatory action of theophylline is currently unknown, but low-dose theophylline is an effective add-on therapy to corticosteroids in controlling asthma...
- Higher-order cellular information processing with synthetic RNA devicesMaung Nyan Win
Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 1200 East California Boulevard, MC 210 41, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Science 322:456-60. 2008..RNA devices process and transmit molecular inputs to targeted protein outputs, linking computation to gene expression and thus the potential to control cellular function...
- Characteristics of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Spain from a gender perspectivePilar Carrasco-Garrido
School of Health Sciences, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
BMC Pulm Med 9:2. 2009..The objective of this study was to analyze the clinical and management characteristics of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in men and women, to determine possible gender-associated differences between the two groups of patients...
- Theophylline restores histone deacetylase activity and steroid responses in COPD macrophagesBorja G Cosio
Thoracic Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, Dovehouse St, London SW3 6LY, England, UK
J Exp Med 200:689-95. 2004..Histone deacetylase (HDAC) activity is reduced in cells of cigarette smokers, and low concentrations of theophylline can increase HDAC activity...
- Alteration of the pharmacokinetics of theophylline by rutaecarpine, an alkaloid of the medicinal herb Evodia rutaecarpa, in ratsYune Fang Ueng
National Research Institute of Chinese Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
J Pharm Pharmacol 57:227-32. 2005..The cytochrome P450 (CYP) 1A2 substrate, theophylline, is an important therapeutic agent for the treatment of asthma, but has a narrow therapeutic index...
- Differential effects of non-selective and selective phosphodiesterase inhibitors on human eosinophil functionsA Hatzelmann
Byk Gulden, Department of Biochemistry, Konstanz, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 114:821-31. 19951. The effect of non-selective (3-isobutyl-1-methylxanthine, IBMX; theophylline) and type IV- or type III/IV-selective (rolipram, RP 73401; zardaverine, tolafentrine) phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors on human eosinophil functions was ..
- Engineering ligand-responsive RNA controllers in yeast through the assembly of RNase III tuning modulesAndrew H Babiskin
Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, 1200 E California Blvd, MC 210 41, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 39:5299-311. 2011..The modularity and tunability of the Rnt1p switch platform will allow for rapid optimization and tailoring of this gene control device, thus providing a useful tool for the design of complex genetic networks in yeast...
- Anti-inflammatory effects and clinical efficacy of theophylline and tulobuterol in mild-to-moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMasashi Kanehara
Department of Molecular and Internal Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Science, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 21:874-8. 2008..However, long-acting beta(2)-agonists and low-dose theophylline are reported to have a possible anti-inflammatory effect in COPD...
- Effect of theophylline on contrast material-nephropathy in patients with chronic renal insufficiency: controlled, randomized, double-blinded studyWolfgang Huber
II Medizinische Klinik, Klinische Chemie, Technical University of Munich, Germany
Radiology 223:772-9. 2002To investigate whether the adenosine antagonist theophylline reduces the incidence of contrast material-induced nephropathy (serum creatinine level increase of at least 0.5 mg/dL [44...
- Theophylline regulates inflammatory and neurotrophic factor signals in functional recovery after C2-hemisection in adult ratsL P Singh
Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Exp Neurol 238:79-88. 2012..activity in an upper cervical hemisection model (C2H) of spinal cord injury (SCI) can be induced by systemic theophylline administration 24-48 h after injury...
- Further studies on the hypothesis of PARP-1 inhibition as a strategy for lessening the long-term effects produced by perinatal asphyxia: effects of nicotinamide and theophylline on PARP-1 activity in brain and peripheral tissue : nicotinamide and theophylC Allende-Castro
Programme of Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology, ICBM, BNI, Medical Faculty, University of Chile, P O Box 70 000, Santiago 7, Chile
Neurotox Res 22:79-90. 2012..We studied the effects of nicotinamide and theophylline on PARP-1 activity assayed in brain and peripheral (heart) rat tissue 1-24 h after birth, as well as on ..
- Adenosine receptor inhibition with theophylline attenuates the skin blood flow response to local heating in humansSarah M Fieger
Department of Kinesiology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Exp Physiol 95:946-54. 2010..to receive one of the following four treatments: (1) lactated Ringer solution to serve as a control; (2) 4 mM theophylline, a competitive, non-selective A(1)/A(2) adenosine receptor antagonist; (3) 10 mM Nomega(-)-nitro-L-arginine ..
- Prophylaxis of contrast material-induced nephropathy in patients in intensive care: acetylcysteine, theophylline, or both? A randomized studyWolfgang Huber
II Medizinische Klinik, Institut für Medizinische Statistik und Epidemiologie, Universitaetsklinik Tuebingen, Kinderkardiologie, Munich, Germany
Radiology 239:793-804. 2006To prospectively compare the protective effect of acetylcysteine, theophylline, and both agents combined in patients who are admitted to the intensive care unit with at least one risk factor for contrast material-induced nephropathy and ..
- Efficacy of theophylline compared to methylphenidate for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents: a pilot double-blind randomized trialM R Mohammadi
Psychiatric Research Center, Roozbeh Psychiatric Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Clin Pharm Ther 29:139-44. 2004..b>Theophylline is a psychomotor stimulant most widely used as a broncodilator...
- Theophylline in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: new horizonsPeter J Barnes
Department of Thoracic Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, UK
Proc Am Thorac Soc 2:334-9; discussion 340-1. 2005Although theophylline has side effects when used in bronchodilator doses, increasing evidence shows that it has significant antiinflammatory effects in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at lower plasma concentrations...
- Enhancement of transdermal delivery of theophylline using microemulsion vehicleX Zhao
Department of Pharmaceutics, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 210038, PR China
Int J Pharm 327:58-64. 2006A microemulsion vehicle had been studied as a possible matrix for transdermal delivery of theophylline. The existence of microemulsion regions were investigated in pseudo-ternary phase diagrams, and various microemulsion formulations were ..
- Theophylline for COPDP J Barnes
Thorax 61:742-4. 2006
- A theophylline responsive riboswitch based on helix slipping controls gene expression in vivoBeatrix Suess
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Staudtstrasse 5, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 32:1610-4. 2004..We created a translational control element by combining the theophylline aptamer with a helical communication module for which a ligand-dependent one-nucleotide slipping mechanism had ..
- Evaluation of the anticoagulants EDTA and citrate, theophylline, adenosine, and dipyridamole (CTAD) for assessing platelet activation on the ADVIA 120 hematology systemMarion Macey
Department of Haematology, The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, London E1 1BB, United Kingdom
Clin Chem 48:891-9. 2002..Monitoring of platelet activation by the ADVIA 120 Hematology System requires an anticoagulant and protocol that ensures that platelets are sphered and their activation status is not altered artifactually in vitro...
- Targeting phosphoinositide-3-kinase-delta with theophylline reverses corticosteroid insensitivity in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseYasuo To
Airway Disease Section, NHLI Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:897-904. 2010Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) show a poor response to corticosteroids. This has been linked to a reduction of histone deacetylase-2 as a result of oxidative stress and is reversed by theophylline.
- Low-dose theophylline reduces eosinophilic inflammation but not exhaled nitric oxide in mild asthmaS Lim
Department of Thoracic Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:273-6. 2001b>Theophylline is well-established in the management of asthma, and there is some evidence of an antiinflammatory effect in asthma...
- Riboswitches in unexpected places--a synthetic riboswitch in a protein coding regionShana Topp
Department of Chemistry and the Center for Fundamental and Applied Molecular Evolution, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
RNA 14:2498-503. 2008..Furthermore, evidence that a riboswitch can function in the translated region of a gene suggests that future efforts to identify natural riboswitches should consider this possibility...
- Modulating endogenous gene expression of mammalian cells via RNA-small molecule interactionNazgul Tuleuova
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California Davis, 451 Health Sciences Drive, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 376:169-73. 2008..We designed and constructed a theophylline aptamer-fused short hairpin RNA (shRNA) expression vector targeting albumin mRNA in hepatic (HepG2) cells...
- Effect of low-dose theophylline plus beclometasone on lung function in smokers with asthma: a pilot studyM Spears
Faculty of Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Eur Respir J 33:1010-7. 2009..The present authors hypothesised that treating smokers with asthma with low-dose theophylline added to inhaled corticosteroids would enhance steroid sensitivity and thereby improve lung function and ..
- Caffeine intake and small-for-gestational-age birth: modifying effects of xenobiotic-metabolising genes and smokingClaire Infante-Rivard
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 21:300-9. 2007..The studied polymorphisms did not modify the effect of caffeine. Caffeine consumption is unlikely to be a major risk factor for SGA or low birthweight in pregnant women...
- Maternal serum caffeine metabolites and small-for-gestational age birthMark A Klebanoff
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics and Prevention Research, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 7510, USA
Am J Epidemiol 155:32-7. 2002..07. The authors conclude that maternal third-trimester serum paraxanthine concentration, which reflects caffeine consumption, was associated with a higher risk of reduced fetal growth, particularly among women who smoked...
- Caffeine metabolites in umbilical cord blood, cytochrome P-450 1A2 activity, and intrauterine growth restrictionLaura M Grosso
Yale Center for Perinatal, Pediatric and Environmental Epidemiology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Am J Epidemiol 163:1035-41. 2006..21, 95% confidence interval: 1.07, 1.37), suggesting that CYP1A2 activity, and not the absolute levels of paraxanthine, influences fetal growth. No associations were observed between caffeine or any metabolites and preterm delivery...
- Low-dose theophylline enhances the anti-inflammatory effects of steroids during exacerbations of COPDB G Cosio
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Hospital Universitario Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Thorax 64:424-9. 2009..It was hypothesised that HDAC activity is further reduced during ECOPD and that theophylline, an HDAC activator, potentiates the anti-inflammatory effect of steroids in these patients...
- Can β2-adrenoceptor agonists, anticholinergic drugs, and theophylline contribute to the control of pulmonary inflammation and emphysema in COPD?Wen Hui Zhang
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 26:118-34. 2012..The anti-inflammatory effects of theophylline at low doses have also been identified...
- Release of theophylline and carbamazepine from matrix tablets--consequences of HPMC chemical heterogeneityAnna Viridén
Dept of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 78:470-9. 2011The release of theophylline and carbamazepine from matrix tablets composed of microcrystalline cellulose, lactose and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC) was studied...
- Structure-affinity relationship in the interactions of human organic anion transporter 1 with caffeine, theophylline, theobromine and their metabolitesMitsuru Sugawara
Department of Pharmacy, Hokkaido University Hospital, Kita 14 jo, Nishi 5 chome, Kita ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060 8648, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1714:85-92. 2005..The main determinant of the affinity of xanthine-related compounds is the position of the methyl group. On the other hand, lipophilicity is the main determinant of the affinity of uric acid-related compounds...
- Prediction of theophylline clearance in CCl4-treated rats using in vivo CYP1A2 and CYP3A2 contents assessed with the PKCYP testNoriko Kose
Department of Pharmaceutics, Kyoritsu University of Pharmacy, Tokyo, Japan
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 20:168-76. 2005..We applied the results to predict the clearance of theophylline as a model drug with a physiologically based pharmacokinetic model...
- Effects of theophylline on radioiodide uptake in MCF-7 breast cancer and NIS gene-transduced SNU-C5 colon cancer cellsJoon Kee Yoon
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 24:201-8. 2009We investigated whether theophylline has the potential to increase radioiodide uptake in nonthyroidal cancer cells.
- The additive effect of theophylline on a combination of formoterol and tiotropium in stable COPD: a pilot studyMario Cazzola
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Unit of Pneumology and Allergology, A Cardarelli Hospital, Naples, Italy
Respir Med 101:957-62. 2007We explored the additive effect of titrated oral theophylline in patients with stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) who received both tiotropium, 18mug od, and formoterol, 12mug bid...
- Theophylline improves esophageal chest pain--a randomized, placebo-controlled studySatish S C Rao
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 102:930-8. 2007..A previous uncontrolled study suggested that theophylline may be useful...
- Low dose theophylline showed an inhibitory effect on the production of IL-6 and IL-8 in primary lung fibroblast from patients with COPDJing Zhang
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Zhongshan Hospital, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, China
Mediators Inflamm 2012:492901. 2012..hypothesized that lung fibroblasts could contribute to the local inflammation and investigated whether low dose theophylline had a beneficial effect on fibroblasts inflammation...
- Effectiveness of theophylline in preventing contrast-induced nephropathy after coronary angiographic proceduresMohammed Elshawadfy M Bilasy
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
J Interv Cardiol 25:404-10. 2012..The use of theophylline for prevention of CIN has yielded conflicting results...
- Ignoring pharmacokinetics may lead to isoboles misinterpretation: illustration with the norfloxacin-theophylline convulsant interaction in ratsMiren Cadart
Equipe Emergente Medicaments et BHE, Faculté de Médecine and Pharmacie, Poitiers, France
Pharm Res 19:209-14. 2002To investigate the norfloxacin-theophylline convulsant interaction in vivo, with an experimental approach distinguishing between pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics contributions to the observed effect.
- Spectral analysis of naturally occurring methylxanthines (theophylline, theobromine and caffeine) binding with DNAIrudayam Maria Johnson
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e50019. 2012..We studied the interaction of naturally occurring methylxanthines such as theophylline, theobromine and caffeine with DNA, using UV absorption and Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopic ..
- Simultaneous determination of artificial sweeteners, preservatives, caffeine, theobromine and theophylline in food and pharmaceutical preparations by ion chromatographyQ C Chen
China Import and Export Commodity Inspection Technology Institute, Beijing
J Chromatogr A 937:57-64. 2001..saccharin, aspartame, acesulfame-K), preservatives (benzoic acid, sorbic acid), caffeine, theobromine and theophylline. The separation was performed on an anion-exchange analytical column operated at 40 degrees C within 45 min by ..
- The effect of erosion and swelling on the dissolution of theophylline from low and high viscosity sodium alginate matricesManuel Efentakis
Centre for Materials Science, School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AX, UK
Pharm Dev Technol 7:69-77. 2002The extent of dissolution of theophylline from sodium alginate matrices has been studied in water and HCl...
- Simultaneous HPLC determination of caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline in food, drinks, and herbal productsBranislava Srdjenovic
Medical Faculty, Department of Pharmacy, University of Novi Sad, Hajduk Veljkova 3, 21000 Novi Sad, Serbia
J Chromatogr Sci 46:144-9. 2008..chromatographic (HPLC) method is developed for the separation and determination of caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. The chromatography is performed on a Zorbax Eclipse XDB-C8 column (4.6x150 mm i.d...
- Anti-fibrotic effects of theophylline on lung fibroblastsYukihiro Yano
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Allergy and Rheumatic Diseases, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 341:684-90. 2006b>Theophylline has been used in the management of bronchial asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease for over 50 years...
- Determination of theobromine, theophylline, and caffeine in by-products of cupuacu and cacao seeds by high-performance liquid chromatographyF Lo Coco
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Area Ambientale ed Agroalimentare, Universita Degli Studi di Udine, Via Tomadini 30 A, 33100 Udine, Italy
J Chromatogr Sci 45:273-5. 2007Theobromine, theophylline, and caffeine are determined simultaneously by a rapid and selective reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) method with UV detection in by-products of cupuacu and cacao seeds...
- Theophylline induces changes in the electro-olfactogram of the mouseVolker Gudziol
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Dresden Medical School, Fetscherstr 74, 01307 Dresden
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 267:239-43. 2010..The aim of the present study was to investigate whether theophylline, an unspecific PDE-I, evokes changes in the electro-olfactogram (EOG) which would support the hypothesis of a ..
- Influence of hydroxyethylcellulose on the drug release properties of theophylline pellets coated with Eudragit RS 30 DWeijia Zheng
College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 59:147-54. 2005..investigate the influence of a hydrophilic polymer, hydroxyethylcellulose (HEC), on the release properties of theophylline from pellets coated with Eudragit RS 30 D, and the physicochemical properties of Eudragit RS 30 D cast films...
- Randomized trial of inhaled beclomethasone dipropionate versus theophylline for moderate asthma during pregnancyMitchell P Dombrowski
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Mich, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:737-44. 2004This study was undertaken to compare the efficacy of inhaled beclomethasone dipropionate to oral theophylline for the prevention of asthma exacerbation(s) requiring medical intervention.
- Development of enteric-coated pectin-based matrix tablets for colonic delivery of theophyllinePaola Mura
Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Via Gino Capponi 9, 50121 Firenze, Italy
J Drug Target 11:365-71. 2003..b>Theophylline (TP) was used as model drug due to its suitable pharmacokinetic properties for colonic delivery and good ..
- Efficacy of 2 weeks' application of theophylline ointment in psoriasis vulgarisE Papakostantinou
Department of Dermatology, University of Athens, A Sygros Hospital, Kessariani, Athens, Greece
J Dermatolog Treat 16:169-70. 2005
- N-acetylcysteine versus N-acetylcysteine + theophylline for the prevention of contrast nephropathyM Baskurt
Institute of Cardiology, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Clin Invest 39:793-9. 2009The use of N-acetylcysteine or theophylline in specific subgroups of patients has been suggested to reduce the incidence of contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN) in patients undergoing angiographic procedures...
- Pharmacokinetic changes of unbound theophylline are due to plasma protein binding displacement and CYP1A2 activity inhibition by baicalin in ratsNa Gao
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou 450052, China
J Ethnopharmacol 150:477-84. 2013..Baicalin is one of the major bioactive constituents of Scutellariae Radix, the root of Scutellariae baicalensis Georgi and possesses a wide variety of pharmacological properties...
- Effects of theophylline on human eosinophil functions: comparative study with neutrophil functionsK Yasui
Department of Pediatrics, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Leukoc Biol 68:194-200. 2000The understanding of theophylline as a bronchodilator has been reconsidered in recent years. We undertook to determine its immunomodulatory actions in granulocytes and elucidate their mechanism...
- Are phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitors just more theophylline?Victoria Boswell-Smith
The Sackler Institute of Pulmonary Pharmacology, King s College London School of Biomedical, Health and Life Sciences, King s College London
J Allergy Clin Immunol 117:1237-43. 2006b>Theophylline has been relegated to a second- or even third-line therapy in the treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), behind glucocorticosteroids and beta2-agonists, although recent findings have suggested ..
- Functional assay of NF-kappaB translocation into nuclei by laser scanning cytometry: inhibitory effect by dexamethasone or theophyllineK Tomita
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 359:249-55. 1999..Preincubation with dexamethasone for 24 h or 30 min, or with theophylline for 30 min before TNF-alpha stimulation attenuated the nuclear translocation of Rel A and p50...
- Unusually short RNA sequences: design of a 13-mer RNA that selectively binds and recognizes theophyllinePeter C Anderson
School of Pharmacy and Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:5290-1. 2005..A 13-mer RNA truncation of a 33-mer aptamer for theophylline preserves the ability to bind to theophylline and to discriminate against the structurally similar compound ..
- Correlation between the release characteristics of theophylline and the free volume of polyvinylpyrrolidoneRomána Zelkó
University Pharmacy, Institute of Pharmacy Administration, Semmelweis University, Hogyes E Street 7 9, H 1092 Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Pharm Sci 24:351-4. 2005..The active material chosen for the release study was theophylline. An exponential relationship was found, with good correlation, between the relative humidity of the storage ..
- Demonstrating the effect of theophylline treatment on diaphragmatic movement in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients by MR-fluoroscopyOmer Etlik
Department of Radiology, Yuzuncu Yil University, Faculty of Medicine, Van 65200, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 51:150-4. 2004..to determine the increase in diaphragmatic excursion of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) treated with theophylline by MR-fluoroscopy which is an innovative method to demonstrate effectiveness of this treatment.
- Effect of theophylline and aminophylline on transmitter release at the mammalian neuromuscular junction is not mediated by cAMPTravis J Nickels
Center for Neuroscience, Department of Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056, USA
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 33:465-70. 20061. Theophylline and aminophylline have been widely used as inhibitors of phosphodiesterase when examining the role of cAMP in regulating cell function...
- Theophylline and acetazolamide reduce sleep-disordered breathing at high altitudeR Fischer
Dept of Medicine, Division of Pneumology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur Respir J 23:47-52. 2004A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted to evaluate the effects of theophylline and acetazolamide in the treatment of sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) after fast ascent to high altitude (3,454 m)...
- Antagonism of adenosine receptors by caffeine and caffeine metabolites in equine forebrain tissuesChi Chung Chou
Department of Physiological Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0144, USA
Am J Vet Res 64:216-24. 2003..To determine the presence of adenosine receptor subtypes A1 and A2a in equine forebrain tissues and to characterize the interactions of caffeine and its metabolites with adenosine receptors in the CNS of horses...
- Phenotype-genotype analysis of CYP1A2 in Japanese patients receiving oral theophylline therapyKeiji Takata
Division of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Science, Kumamoto University, and Department of Medicine, Kumamoto City Hospital, Japan
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 62:23-8. 2006....
- Lack of renoprotective effect of theophylline during aortocoronary bypass surgeryBernhard K Krämer
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Innere Medizin II, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:910-5. 2002..The adenosine receptor antagonist theophylline has been shown to confer some benefit in experimental and clinical ARF due to ischaemia, contrast media and ..
- Theophylline improves functional recovery of isolated rat lungs after hypothermic preservationR L Featherstone
Cardiovascular Research, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London, England
Ann Thorac Surg 67:798-803. 1999Raising intracellular cyclic adenosine monophosphate levels protects lungs from ischemia-reperfusion injury. We hypothesized that the phosphodiesterase inhibitor theophylline would protect lungs during storage.
- The effect of CYP1A2 gene polymorphisms on Theophylline metabolism and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Turkish patientsAhmet Uslu
Department of Chest Diseases, Medical Park Hospital, Antalya, Turkey
BMB Rep 43:530-4. 2010Cytochrome P450 (CYP) 1A2 gene polymorphisms are thought to be involved in the metabolism of theophylline (TP)...
- The effect of ethylcellulose molecular weight on the properties of theophylline microspheresA Dashevsky
Kiev Institute of Postgraduate Advance for Physicians, Ukraine
J Microencapsul 14:273-80. 1997Microspheres of theophylline, with both ethylcellulose of high and low molecular weight and also their mixtures as a coating material, were prepared using the solvent evaporation technique...
- Ultrafast dynamics show that the theophylline and 3-methylxanthine aptamers employ a conformational capture mechanism for binding their ligandsSang Won Lee
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, The University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, Texas 75080 3021, USA
Biochemistry 49:2943-51. 2010..time-resolved fluorescence spectroscopic experiments were used here to probe picosecond dynamics of the theophylline-binding RNA aptamer...
- Theophylline treatment improves mitochondrial function after upper cervical spinal cord hemisectionMaik Huttemann
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Exp Neurol 223:523-8. 2010..In an animal model of cervical spinal cord hemisection (C2HS) respiratory dysfunction, we have shown that theophylline improves respiratory function...
- Formulation study and drug release mechanism of a new theophylline sustained-release preparationTetsuo Hayashi
Central Research Laboratories, SSP Co, Ltd, Nanpeidai 1143, Narita shi, Chiba, and School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, 52 1 Yada, Shizuoka shi, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
Int J Pharm 304:91-101. 2005Two matrix theophylline tablets with different release mechanisms were compared...
- Evaluation of absorption kinetics of orally administered theophylline in rats based on gastrointestinal transit monitoring by gamma scintigraphyS Haruta
Department of Hospital Pharmacy, Central Research Laboratories, Miyazaki Medical College, 5200 Kihara, Kiyotake-cho, Miyazaki 889-1692, Japan
J Pharm Sci 90:464-73. 2001The gastrointestinal (GI) transit and absorption of orally administered theophylline, a highly absorbable drug without presystemic elimination, were investigated under fasted and fed conditions using three rats in a crossover study...
- In vitro and in vivo sustained-release characteristics of theophylline matrix tablets and novel cluster tabletsTetsuo Hayashi
Life Science Institute, SSP Co, Ltd, Nanpeidai 1143, Narita shi, Chiba 286 1511, Japan
Int J Pharm 341:105-13. 2007We compared the in vitro/in vivo properties of theophylline between two sustained-release preparations, which are administered once a day...
- Theophylline-improved swallowing reflex in elderly nursing home patientsTakae Ebihara
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:1787-8. 2004
- [Case of an 81-year-old woman with theophylline-associated seizures followed by partial seizures due to vitamin B6 deficiency]Hiroya Kuwahara
Department of Neurology, Yokosuka Kyosai Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 48:125-9. 2008We report an 81-year-old woman who suffered from theophylline-associated seizures followed by partial seizures due to vitamin B6 deficiency. She developed complex partial seizures...
- Xanthan and galactomannan (from M. scabrella) matrix tablets for oral controlled delivery of theophyllineC W Vendruscolo
Curso de Farmácia, Núcleo de Investigações Químico Farmacêuticas, Universidade do Vale do Itajai UNIVALI, CP 360, CEP 88302 202, Itajaí SC, Brazil
Int J Pharm 296:1-11. 2005Directly compressed theophylline tablets, containing commercial xanthan (X) (Keltrol) and a highly hydrophilic galactomannan (G) from the seeds of Mimosa scabrella (a brazilian leguminous tree called bracatinga) as release-controlling ..
- Vitamin B6 nutritional status in asthma: the effect of theophylline therapy on plasma pyridoxal-5'-phosphate and pyridoxal levelsR Delport
Department of Chemical Pathology, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 58:67-72. 1988..Plasma pyridoxal levels in the two groups were not different. Theophylline was administered to a group of 17 volunteers and resulted in large reductions in plasma pyridoxal-5'-phosphate ..
- Theophylline-induced apoptosis is paralleled by protein kinase A-dependent tissue transglutaminase activation in cancer cellsMichele Caraglia
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Second University of Naples, Via Costantinopoli, Naples, Italy
J Biochem 132:45-52. 2002It has been reported that theophylline induces growth inhibition and apoptosis in tumour cells. We report that theophylline induces growth inhibition and apoptosis of several human epithelial tumour cells with an IC:50 of 2...
- A randomized open-label comparative study of montelukast versus theophylline added to inhaled corticosteroid in asthmatic childrenNaomi Kondo
Department of Pediatrics, Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu University, Gifu, Japan
Allergol Int 55:287-93. 2006..The efficacy and the safety of montelukast added to low-dose ICS therapy were compared with those of sustained-release theophylline added to low-dose ICS therapy in asthmatic children in the present study.
- Treatment effects of low-dose theophylline combined with an inhaled corticosteroid in COPDPaul A Ford
Airways Disease Section, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, England
Chest 137:1338-44. 2010..However, previous studies indicate that low doses of theophylline enhance the activity of a key corticosteroid-associated corepressor protein, histone deacetylase (HDAC)2, which ..
- Reduced incidence of radiocontrast-induced nephropathy in ICU patients under theophylline prophylaxis: a prospective comparison to series of patients at similar riskW Huber
Department of Internal Medicine II, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University Munich, Germany
Intensive Care Med 27:1200-9. 2001To investigate whether the adenosine-antagonist theophylline reduces the incidence of contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN).
- Low-dose theophylline does not exert its anti-inflammatory effects in mild asthma through upregulation of interleukin-10 in alveolar macrophagesB Oliver
ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Allergy 56:1087-90. 2001BACKGROUND: There is accumulating evidence that theophylline has anti-inflammatory or immunomodulatory effects. This may be, in part, mediated via an upregulation in the production of the anti-inflammatory cytokine interleukin (IL)-10...
- Characteristic of theophylline imprinted monolithic column and its application for determination of xanthine derivatives caffeine and theophylline in green teaHan Wen Sun
College of Chemistry and Environmental Science, Hebei University, Baoding 071002, China
J Chromatogr A 1134:194-200. 2006b>Theophylline imprinted monolithic columns were designed and prepared for rapid separation of a homologous series of xanthine derivatives, caffeine, and theophylline by an in situ thermal-initiated copolymerization technique...
- Caffeine, pentoxifylline and theophylline form stacking complexes with IQ-type heterocyclic aromatic aminesAnna Woziwodzka
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology UG and MUG, Kładki 24, Gdansk, Poland
Bioorg Chem 39:10-7. 2011..Here we demonstrate that CAF and other MTX, pentoxifylline (PTX) and theophylline (TH), form stacking complexes with carcinogenic imidazoquinoline-type (IQ-type) food-borne heterocyclic ..
- RNA binding efficacy of theophylline, theobromine and caffeineI Maria Johnson
Department of Genetics, Dr ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Taramani, Chennai 600 113, India
J Biomol Struct Dyn 20:687-92. 2003The binding of naturally occurring methylxanthines such as theophylline, theobromine and caffeine to nucleic acids are reckoned to be pivotal as they are able to modulate the cellular activities...
- Two distinct pathways for metabolism of theophylline and caffeine are coexpressed in Pseudomonas putida CBB5Chi Li Yu
Center for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Bacteriol 191:4624-32. 2009..not only caffeine, theobromine, paraxanthine, and 7-methylxanthine as sole carbon and nitrogen sources but also theophylline and 3-methylxanthine...
- Study of in vitro and in vivo dissolution of theophylline from film-coated pelletsZ Muskó
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Szeged, Eötvös str 6, Szeged, Hungary
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 51:143-6. 2001..on the influence of polymer coating films on the rates and the extents of in vitro and in vivo liberation of theophylline from pellets. Uncoated and coated pellets were used in the experiments...
- [Depression of serum pyridoxal levels in theophylline-related seizures]T Seto
Department of Pediatrics, Osaka City University Medical School
No To Hattatsu 32:295-300. 2000In order to study whether a theophylline-related seizure is caused by a decrease in serum vitamin B6, serum pyridoxal (PAL) levels were measured in children with bronchial asthma treated with theophylline...
- A prospective clinical study of theophylline safety in 3810 elderly with asthma or COPDKen Ohta
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Teikyo University, 2 11 1 Kaga, Itabashi ku, Tokyo, Japan
Respir Med 98:1016-24. 2004..with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) who had been treated with sustained-release theophylline tablets (THEODUR) at a dose of 400 mg/day for 1-6 months, in principle...
- Purity determination and uncertainty evaluation of theophylline by mass balance method, high performance liquid chromatography and differential scanning calorimetryKang Ma
Division of Chemical Metrology and Analytical Science, National Institute of Metrology, Beijing 100013, China
Anal Chim Acta 650:227-33. 2009..A mass balance method was employed to determine the purity of theophylline certified reference materials (CRM), compared with high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and ..
- Liver dysfunction markedly decreases the inhibition of cytochrome P450 1A2-mediated theophylline metabolism by fluvoxamineRocco Orlando
Department of Pharmacology and Anesthesiology, University of Padua, Italy
Clin Pharmacol Ther 79:489-99. 2006..1) to evaluate the effect of liver cirrhosis on the inhibition by fluvoxamine of the metabolic disposition of theophylline, a CYP1A2 substrate with a low-extraction ratio, to assess whether decreased sensitivity to CYP1A2 inhibition ..
- Preparation of ethylcellulose microcapsules containing theophylline by using emulsion non-solvent addition methodH Chen
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Central University, Chung Li, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Microencapsul 12:137-47. 1995A new technique in which ethylcellulose microcapsules containing theophylline (a water-soluble drug), prepared using the O/W emulsion non-solvent addition method, was developed...
- Formulation, characterization and in vitro evaluation of theophylline-loaded Eudragit RS 100 microspheres prepared by an emulsion-solvent diffusion/evaporation techniqueMitra Jelvehgari
Drug Applied Research Center and Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Pharm Dev Technol 16:637-44. 2011The aim was to prepare theophylline-loaded Eudragit RS 100 microsphere to achieve sustained release pattern with relatively high production yield...
- Liquisolid compacts: the effect of cosolvent and HPMC on theophylline releaseAli Nokhodchi
Chemistry and Drug Delivery Group, Medway School of Pharmacy, Universities of Kent and Greenwich, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TB, UK
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 79:262-9. 2010..The interaction between excipients and theophylline was investigated by differential scanning calorimetry...
- Abnormal Bladder Epithelial Cell Gene Expression in BPS/ICSUSAN F KEAY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, the ability of a readily availabl, relatively nontoxic HDAC stimulator (theophylline) to normalize gene expression in BPS/IC cells will also be established...
- 1st Tier Drugs+Theophylline in Pediatric Severe AsthmaJERRY JOHN ZIMMERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Previously, theophylline and various congeners were utilized as front-line therapy for asthma, both chronically and for status ..
- Cancer Immunotherapy by Targeting A2 Adenosine ReceptorMichail Sitkovsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..protocols of cancer patients with 40% or 60% oxygen breathing and treatment with the natural A2AR antagonist theophylline. The aims of this proposal are to establish the role of the hypoxia-A2AR-adenosinergic pathway in molecular and ..
- Targeting Central A1 Adenosine Receptors Induces Hypothermia for StrokeKelly L Drew; Fiscal Year: 2013..adverse effects caused by stimulation of A1AR in the heart and other peripheral organs using 8-(p-sulfophenyl) theophylline (8-SPT), an adenosine receptor antagonist that does not penetrate the brain...
- FUNCTIONAL PLASTICITY IN THE MAMMALIAN SPINAL CORDHarry G Goshgarian; Fiscal Year: 2013..to test our basic science work at the clinical level, we conducted 3 clinical studies using the methylxanthine, theophylline. The results of these theophylline studies were mixed...
- Smoking in Asthmatics Pilot StudyJOE WESLEY RAMSDELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The ultimate goal of the Smoking Asthmatics Pilot Study (SAPS) is a successful completion of the Theophylline/Tiotropium or Montelukast as Add-On Therapy in Smokers with Asthma Not Controlled with Combination ICS/LABA (..
- Real-time detection of cancer biomarkers using a self-sustained aptazymeCharles Olea; Fiscal Year: 2013..The aptazyme has been shown to interchangeably detect theophylline and flavin mononucleotide (FMN) within physiological ranges...
- An Asthma Adherence Telehealth System to Improve Asthma ManagementANDREW GEORGE WEINSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..study of children in the ER with asthma found that only 2% had therapeutic levels of the controller medicine theophylline. Only 8%-13% of patients continue to fill prescriptions after 1 year...
- DIARRHEAL DISEASES: CALCIUM AND PHOSPHORYLATIONGEOFFREY SHARP; Fiscal Year: 1991..g. ionophore A23187, carbachol, serotonin; calcium deprivation, EGTA (acutely), verapamil, dopamine; theophylline, 8-bromo cyclic AMP; and other drugs (as mentioned for the broken cell studies)...
- Understanding the Persistence of Immune-mediated Chronic DiseasesVaiva Vezys; Fiscal Year: 2009..Manipulation of newly produced T cells through drugs or removal of the thymus may result in a uniform treatment to interfere with multiple diseases and chronic infections. ..
- WATER AND ELECTROLYTE TRANSPORT BY THE INTESTINEKENNETH HUBEL; Fiscal Year: 1990..coli ST toxin and theophylline)...
- Functional activation during cerebral ischemiaJoel H Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..of pathophysiological conditions including mild and severe ischemia and pharmacological modulation of CBF with theophylline, acetazolamide, and CO2...
- EFFECT OF DIETARY METHYLXANTHINES ON FLUORIDE METABOLISMJARVIS CHAN; Fiscal Year: 1990..Furthermore, children being treated with theophylline r other MX may need to adjust the F intake...
- ADENOSINE RECEPTORS AND THE PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF SIDSH Zielke; Fiscal Year: 1990..b>Theophylline, an antagonist of adenosine receptors, prevents both the PIA stimulated apnea in an animal model as well as ..
- ALCOHOL-INDUCED HEPATIC P450s IN HCV/HIV OXIDATE INJURYSTEVEN SHEDLOFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2003..P450 activities will be determined using the drug probes chlorzoxazone for CYP2EI and midazolam for CYP3A4. Theophylline will be used for CYP1A2...
- Airway sensory nerves and dyspnea in human subjectsNausherwan Burki; Fiscal Year: 2004..of adenosine in normal subjects and stable asthmatics; 2) to evaluate the effects of pretreatment with theophylline, and adenosine receptor antagonist, on the intensity of dyspnea and the ventilatory effects of intravenous ..
- NOD-H2H4 MICE AS A SENTINEL MODEL FOR AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDC Burek; Fiscal Year: 2001..as an example of a polyaromatic hydrocarbon, KBr will be used as an example of a polybrominated biphenyl, and theophylline will be used as an example of a drug which can increase iodine uptake...
- FETAL LUNG MATURATION: PREVENTION OF RDSJohn Johnston; Fiscal Year: 1992..and glycerophospholipids will be quantitated in lung lavage obtained from low birth weight infants treated with theophylline. The goal of Project 4 is to define the developmental expression and immunocytochemical localization of the low ..
- Swellable Templated CopolymersRUDOLF SEITZ; Fiscal Year: 2006..provided by applicant): We have prepared a swellable templated copolymer that selectively recognizes theophylline in the presence of caffeine, a compound that differs from theophylline by a single methyl group...
- ADENOSINE RECEPTOR MODULATION OF SEIZURE SUSCEPTIBILITYThomas Murray; Fiscal Year: 1990..the seizure suppressant effects of adenosine analogs were antagonized by the adenosine receptor antagonist, theophylline. This proposal describes the use of the PTZ seizure threshold model in combination with other pharmacological, ..
- DIASTOLIC PROPERTIES OF DEVELOPING MYOCARDIUMKent Thornburg; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Antagonists of A2B Adenosine Receptors for AsthmaRobert Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The desired outcome will be the identification of a therapeutic candidate to replace theophylline, a non-selective adenosine receptor antagonist that is effective in treating asthma, but limited by side ..
- Simple Biosensors for Pseudouridine and 1-Methyladenosine Based on RNA AptamersThomas Shields; Fiscal Year: 2006..As an example of the diagnostic potential of RNA aptamers, the RNA aptamer specific for theophylline (an asthmatic drug) binds to this drug 10,000-fold better than to caffeine, even though theophylline and ..
- BENZODIAZEPINE OVERINDULGENCE AND DRUG INTERACTIONSJOHN FALK; Fiscal Year: 1992..Also, the effect of BZs on theophylline's behavioral effects will be noted in relation to tremor produced by therapeutic doses of theophylline, ..
- Alcohol and Acetaminophen HepatotoxicityJacqueline Sinclair; Fiscal Year: 2006..The widely consumed chemicals caffeine and theophylline enhance the activity of CYP3A, and thus have the potential to augment alcohol-mediated APAP hepatotoxicity if ..
- BENZODIAZEPINE OVERINDULGENCE AND DRUG INTERACTIONSCHYAN LAU; Fiscal Year: 2000..Also, the effect of BZs on theophylline's behavioral effects will be noted in relation to tremor produced by therapeutic doses of theophylline, ..
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF COMMONLY USED DRUGSARTHUR ATKINSON; Fiscal Year: 1990..In Project 2, we will determine whether theophylline distribution is flow limited in humans, as we have shown in dogs, and will further analyze changes in the ..
- IMMUNOPATHOLOGY OF UVEITISROBERT PRENDERGAST; Fiscal Year: 1990..lymphocyte to produce lymphokine mediators, using the local infusion of pharmacological agents including theophylline to effectively block the amplifying effects emanating from these cells...
- DETERMINANTS OF COGNITIVE FUNCTION IN COPDDavid Bowton; Fiscal Year: 1990..Neuropsychological dysfunction has been described in 35% of asthmatic children receiving theophylline and up to 40% of patients with COPD in a variety of medical regimens...
- ADENOSINE AND CARDIOVASCULAR HOMEOSTASIS IN MANDavid Robertson; Fiscal Year: 1990..and determine the nature and extent of its shift by concomitantly administered antagonists (caffeine and theophylline) and adenosine uptake blockade (dipyridamole)...
- QUANTITATIVE TEST FOR THEOPHYLLINE IN SALIVAJames Johnston; Fiscal Year: 1993..the feasibility of constructing a quantitative instrument independent diagnostic device for determination of theophylline in human saliva...
- APOPTOSIS IN NORMAL AND MALIGNANT LYMPHOCYTESAdam Lerner; Fiscal Year: 2003..leukemia (CLL) cells were shown to undergo apoptosis following exposure to the nonspecific PDE inhibitor theophylline. The applicant recently identified murine PDE4B as an enzyme upregulated during the induction of thymocyte ..
- PHARYNGEAL RESISTANCE IN SLEEPING PREMATURE INFANTSMARTHA MILLER; Fiscal Year: 1993..studies will investigate alteration in pharyngeal stability in apneic infants, and the mechanism of action of theophylline in obstructive apnea...
- ANTAGONIST OF A2B ADENOSINE RECEPTORS FOR ASTHMAROBERT FIGLER; Fiscal Year: 2001..A2B adenosine receptors are blocked by theophylline, a xanthine that is effective in treating asthma...
- AGE-RELATED CARDIAC RESPONSE TO THEOPHYLLINE IN MANRobert Vestal; Fiscal Year: 1992..b>Theophylline is a widely-used bronchodilator drug with significant cardiac effects, including increased heart rate and ..
- NEW ENZYMATIC STRIP-TEST FOR THEOPHYLLINEAURORA DE CASTRO; Fiscal Year: 1992DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from the applicant's abstract) Theophylline, a drug used by 6-10 million patients, needs to be monitored closely in blood for effective management of asthmatic, allergic, and other bronchospastic conditions...
- Drug therapy for preventing COPD exacerbationsDennis Niewoehner; Fiscal Year: 2007..in this application is a proposal for two separate randomized clinical trials to determine whether low-dose theophylline or inhaled corticosteroids will reduce the frequency of severe COPD exacerbations...
- THE CHARACTERIZATION OF HUMAN LIVER CYTOCHROMES P-450JOHN LECH; Fiscal Year: 1991..In addition, the two isozymes that metabolize theophylline will be purified...
- NIA ACADEMIC AWARD--AGING AND CARDIAC REGULATIONSTEPHEN MONTAMAT; Fiscal Year: 1992..Study of Age-Related Cardiac Response to Theophylline in Man: Preliminary studies suggest an increased inotropic response to theophylline in elderly men compared to ..
- MEMBRANE-MEDIATED SORPTIVE HEMOPERFUSIONEdward Davis; Fiscal Year: 2000..b>Theophylline will be used as the test drug and the proposed hemoperfusion system will be employed to safely and rapidly ..
- AIRWAY REACTIVITY TO SUGGESTION AND STRESS IN ASTHMAPaul Lehrer; Fiscal Year: 1992..Other studies will evaluate the validity of respiratory sinus arrhythmia as a measure of vagal tone among asthmatics, and the effects of theophylline medication on the dependent measures taken in the second experiment.
- LEUKOTRIENE POLYMORPHISMS & MONTELUKAST RESPONSEJohn Lima; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will collect DNA from patients participating in a parent clinical trial entitled: Effectiveness of Low Dose Theophylline as Add-On Therapy in the Treatment of Asthma (LoDo Trial)...
- Adenosine receptors and hypoglycemic responsesCharles Mobbs; Fiscal Year: 2007..A2a receptors mediate hypoglycemia-induced vasodilation, possibly accounting for the effects of caffeine and theophylline to enhance counterregulation...
- Ventilatory Control after Sleep FragmentationLiming Ling; Fiscal Year: 2009..1) the SF-impaired LTF and chemo-reflexes are restored by the A1 receptor antagonist 8-CPT (8-cyclo-pentyl-theophylline, i.p...
- THEOPHYLLINE: AGE-DEPENDENT DISPOSITION AND EFFECTSLORNE GARRETTSON; Fiscal Year: 1980The distribution, kinetics of effect, and age dependent rate and pathway of elimination of Theophylline is under investigation. Theophylline dependent asthmatic children and apneic infants are subjects...
- THE SUPPRESSOR OF T CELL IN HUMAN ALLERGYSTEPHEN MCGEADY; Fiscal Year: 1980..be on the basis of cell surface receptors for sheep erythrocytes, for the Fc portions of IgG and IgM, and for theophylline and histamine...
- SIDS-RESPIRATORY CONTROL DEVELOPMENTDANIEL SHANNON; Fiscal Year: 1980..In a subset, I will evaluate the effects of theophylline on demonstrated abnormalities in breathing pattern and regulation...
- MRI Diffusion Correlates of Neuronal ActivityJAMES MAC FALL; Fiscal Year: 2005..in the ADC signal by blocking vascular response in the pial arterioles using an infusion of a drug such as theophylline or caffeine to block vascular adenosine receptors and nitric oxide synthase inhibitors to block nitric oxide ..
- Drug-Induced Motor Recovery After Spinal Cord InjuryKwaku Nantwi; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will address clinically-relevant issues attendant to the use of theophylline in spinal cord injured patients...
- Fetal & Adolescent Nicotine Effects on CNS 5HT SystemsTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF CHLORPYRIFOS DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROTOXICITYTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Molecular mechanisms of developmental neurotoxicity can be determined and linked to eventual alterations in behavioral performance. ..
- DRUGS AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE ADRENERGIC NERVOUS SYSTEMTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- DEVELOPING CIRCADIAN RHYTHMICITYScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may also lead to the development of new care practices in Neonatal Intensive Care Units and extend the field of developmental chronobiology to the bedside. ..
- Vaccine therapy of congenital adrenal HyperplasiaScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also anticipate being able to extend this novel approach to the treatment of other receptor-mediated endocrine disorders, such as hyperthyroidism. ..
- A1-ADENOSINE RECEPTOR ACTION IN HIPPOCAMPUSScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate these studies will lead to new insights into the mechanisms of A1AR action. We also anticipate that these studies will identify A1ARs as an important regulator of axon growth. ..
- Preclin. model for prevention of NSCLC in former smokersHILDEGARD SCHULLER; Fiscal Year: 2006..in a preclinical setup, our specific aims are as follows: 1) We will characterize the effects of green tea, theophylline, beta-carotene, retinol, glucocorticoid beta- blockers, cAMP antaogonists, and inhibitors of cyclooxygenase-2 (..
- The Role of Adenosine in Hypoglycemic Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate that these studies will yield new insights into the mechanisms of hypoglycemic brain injury and may lead to the development of practical strategies for reducing hypoglycemic brain injury. ..