Genomes and Genes
Summary: A METHYLXANTHINE derivative that inhibits phosphodiesterase and affects blood rheology. It improves blood flow by increasing erythrocyte and leukocyte flexibility. It also inhibits platelet aggregation. Pentoxifylline modulates immunologic activity by stimulating cytokine production.
Publications273 found, 100 shown here
- Successful treatment of refractory mucosal leishmaniasis with pentoxifylline plus antimonyH A Lessa
, , Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador-Bahia, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:87-9. 2001..an open-label study was performed to evaluate the efficacy of the treatment with an inhibitor of TNF-alpha (pentoxifylline) associated to antimony therapy in 10 patients with refractory mucosal leishmaniasis...
- Minocycline and pentoxifylline attenuate allodynia and hyperalgesia and potentiate the effects of morphine in rat and mouse models of neuropathic painJoanna Mika
Department of Pain Pharmacology, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 12 Smetna Street, 31 343 Cracow, Poland
Eur J Pharmacol 560:142-9. 2007..In mice, i.p., administration of minocycline (30 mg/kg) or pentoxifylline (20 mg/kg) according to the same schedule also significantly decreased allodynia and hyperalgesia on day 7 ..
- Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of combined pentoxifylline and tocopherol for regression of superficial radiation-induced fibrosisSylvie Delanian
service d oncologie radiothérapie, Hopital Saint Louis 1, Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 21:2545-50. 2003..RIF treatment with a combination of pentoxifylline (PTX) and alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E; Vit E) was recently prompted by the good results of a clinical trial ..
- Pentoxifylline decreases oxidized lipid products in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: new evidence on the potential therapeutic mechanismClaudia O Zein
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Digestive Disease Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44915, USA
Hepatology 56:1291-9. 2012b>Pentoxifylline (PTX) improved the histological features of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) in a recent randomized placebo-controlled trial...
- Pilot study of pentoxifylline in hepatopulmonary syndromeRajasekhar Tanikella
Liver Center, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0005, USA
Liver Transpl 14:1199-203. 2008..tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) overproduction contributes to vasodilatation, which is improved by pentoxifylline, a TNF-alpha inhibitor. The effectiveness of pentoxifylline in humans is unknown...
- Pentoxifylline improves nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a randomized placebo-controlled trialClaudia O Zein
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Digestive Disease Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44915, USA
Hepatology 54:1610-9. 2011The primary aim of this study was to compare the effects of pentoxifylline (PTX) versus placebo on the histological features of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)...
- Therapy of ischemic cardiomyopathy with the immunomodulating agent pentoxifylline: results of a randomized studyKaren Sliwa
Department of Cardiology, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
Circulation 109:750-5. 2004..We sought to determine whether the immunomodulating agent pentoxifylline enhances left ventricular function in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy...
- Pentoxifylline enhances the radioprotective properties of γ-tocotrienol: differential effects on the hematopoietic, gastrointestinal and vascular systemsMaaike Berbee
Division of Radiation Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Radiat Res 175:297-306. 2011..a) determine whether the efficacy of GT3 can be enhanced by the addition of the phosphodiesterase inhibitor pentoxifylline (PTX) and (b) to obtain information about the mechanism of action...
- Immunological mechanisms of pentoxifylline in chronic heart failureSteven M Shaw
The Transplant Centre, University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M23 9LT, UK
Eur J Heart Fail 11:113-8. 2009..Conversely, a possible exception is pentoxifylline (PTX), a putative TNF-alpha inhibitor with possible (but ill-defined) vasodilatory properties...
- Prevention and treatment of functional and structural radiation injury in the rat heart by pentoxifylline and alpha-tocopherolMarjan Boerma
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72:170-7. 2008Radiation-induced heart disease (RIHD) is a severe side effect of thoracic radiotherapy. This study examined the effects of pentoxifylline (PTX) and alpha-tocopherol on cardiac injury in a rat model of RIHD.
- Pentoxifylline sensitizes human cervical tumor cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis by suppressing NF-kappa B and decreased cell senescenceGeorgina Hernandez-Flores
División de Inmunología, Centro de Investigacion Biomedica de Occidente, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
BMC Cancer 11:483. 2011..In some types of cancers pentoxifylline (PTX) sensitizes these cells to the toxic action of chemotherapeutics drugs such as adriamycin, inducing ..
- Oral pentoxifylline combined with pentavalent antimony: a randomized trial for mucosal leishmaniasisPaulo R L Machado
Servico de Imunologia, Hospital Universitario Prof Edgard Santos, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador Bahia, Brazil
Clin Infect Dis 44:788-93. 2007..We previously showed that an inhibitor of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (pentoxifylline) combined with Sb(v) cured 90% patients refractory to monotherapy with Sb(v).
- Sensitization of cervix cancer cells to Adriamycin by Pentoxifylline induces an increase in apoptosis and decrease senescenceAlejandro Bravo-Cuellar
División de Inmunología, Centro de Investigacion Biomedica de Occidente, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Sierra Mojada 800, Colonia Independencia, Guadalajara, Jalisco, CP 44340, Mexico
Mol Cancer 9:114. 2010..The methylxantine drug Pentoxifylline (PTX) used routinely in the clinics setting for circulatory diseases has been recently described to have ..
- Effects of tranilast and pentoxifylline in a mouse model of chronic asthma using house dust mite antigenSeung Joon Kim
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul 137 040, Korea
J Asthma 46:884-94. 2009..b>Pentoxifylline (PTX), a methylxanthine derivative, is a potent anti-inflammatory drug that is known to manifest its effect ..
- Kinetics of response to long-term treatment combining pentoxifylline and tocopherol in patients with superficial radiation-induced fibrosisSylvie Delanian
service d oncologie radiothérapie, Hopital Saint Louis, 1 Ave Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 23:8570-9. 2005Significant regression of radiation (RT) -induced fibrosis (RIF) has been achieved after treatment combining pentoxifylline (PTX) and alpha-tocopherol (vitE)...
- Effect of pentoxifylline on the healing of ischemic colorectal anastomosesPablo Parra-Membrives
Department of General and Digestive Surgery, Hospital Universitario de Valme, Seville, Spain
Dis Colon Rectum 50:369-75. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of pentoxifylline on the healing of experimental ischemic colorectal anastomoses.
- Clinical use of pentoxifylline for activation of immotile testicular sperm before ICSI in patients with azoospermiaBorut Kovacic
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Gynecologic Endocrinology, Maribor Teaching Hospital, Ljubljanska 5, SI 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
J Androl 27:45-52. 2006..study was to assess the effect of short exposure of testicular samples with only immotile sperm to pentoxifylline (PF)-sperm motility stimulator. In 77 of 294 (26...
- Effects of the tumour necrosis factor-alpha inhibitors pentoxifylline and thalidomide in short-term experimental oral mucositis in hamstersV Lima
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Ceara, Rua Coronel Nunes de Melo 1127, Rodolfo Teófilo CEP 60430 270, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Eur J Oral Sci 113:210-7. 2005..A definitive method of prophylaxis or treatment is not yet available. As pentoxifylline (PTX) and thalidomide (TLD) have been shown to inhibit cytokine synthesis, we studied the effects of these ..
- Effect of pentoxifylline and tocopherol on radiation proctitis/enteritisAndrea Hille
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiation Oncology, University of Goettingen, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 181:606-14. 2005..There is some evidence that the combined treatment with pentoxifylline and tocopherol might alter the pathogenesis of radiation-induced fibrosis...
- The use of a combination of pentoxifylline and tocopherol in women with a thin endometrium undergoing assisted conception therapies--a report of 20 casesSantanu Acharya
Reproductive Medicine Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 12:198-203. 2009..We conclude that a combination of pentoxyfylline and tocopherol may improve endometrial growth in resistant cases that are unresponsive to conventional therapy...
- Pentoxifylline in ischemic, hypertensive and idiopathic-dilated cardiomyopathy: effects on left-ventricular function, inflammatory cytokines and symptomsPhilipp Bahrmann
Clinic of Internal Medicine I, Friedrich Schiller University, Erlanger Allee 101, 07740 Jena, Germany
Eur J Heart Fail 6:195-201. 2004..b>Pentoxifylline, a xanthin-derived agent, is known to inhibit the production of TNF-alpha and IL-6...
- Striking regression of chronic radiotherapy damage in a clinical trial of combined pentoxifylline and tocopherolS Delanian
service d oncologie radiothérapie, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 17:3283-90. 1999..RIF treatment with combined pentoxifylline (PTX) and tocopherol (Vit E) was prompted by recent advances in cellular and molecular biology that have ..
- Preclinical evaluation of the antimetastatic efficacy of Pentoxifylline on A375 human melanoma cell lineMohammed Zahid Kamran
Gude Lab, Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer ACTREC, Tata Memorial Centre, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Biomed Pharmacother 66:617-26. 2012..b>Pentoxifylline (PTX), a non-specific phosphodiesterase inhibitor, has shown to have radiosensitizing properties for a variety ..
- Radiation-induced enteropathy: molecular basis of pentoxifylline-vitamin E anti-fibrotic effect involved TGF-β1 cascade inhibitionSaad Hamama
Molecular Radiotherapy, Universite Paris Sud XI, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Radiother Oncol 105:305-12. 2012Radiation-induced fibrosis is a serious late complication of radiotherapy. Pentoxifylline-vitamin E has proven effective and safe in clinical trials in the treatment of fibrosis, while the molecular mechanism of its activity is yet ..
- Periungual leishmaniasisCiro Martins Gomes
University Hospital of Brasilia, University of Brasilia, DF, Brazil
An Bras Dermatol 87:148-9. 2012..failed to respond to treatment with antimony, but achieved clinical cure after this was associated with pentoxifylline. The case highlights the rarity of the periungual location of the leishmanial lesion and the difficulties ..
- Preventive effect of pentoxifylline on renal scarring in rat model of pyelonephritisAydin Yagmurlu
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Ankara School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 61:1037-41. 2003To evaluate the efficiency of pentoxifylline (PTX), a methyl xanthine derivative, in preventing renal scar formation after the induction of pyelonephritis in an experimental rat model with delayed antimicrobial therapy.
- Pentoxifylline in hepatopulmonary syndromeHamid Reza Kianifar
Allergy Research Center, Ghaem Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
World J Gastroenterol 18:4912-6. 2012To determine the effects of pentoxifylline (PTX) on clinical manifestations and evaluate arterial blood gas data in hepatopulmonary syndrome (HPS) in children.
- Effect of pentoxifylline on preventing acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery by measuring urinary neutrophil gelatinase - associated lipocalinKhosro Barkhordari
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Tehran Heart Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
J Cardiothorac Surg 6:8. 2011..b>Pentoxifylline (PTX), a non-specific phosphodiesterase inhibitor, can suppress the production of some factors of inflammatory ..
- Pretreatment with pentoxifylline has antidepressant-like effects in a rat model of acute myocardial infarctionThierno Madjou Bah
Biomedecine Center, Hôpital Sacré Cœur of Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Behav Pharmacol 22:779-84. 2011..that, after myocardial infarction (MI), rats display apoptosis in the limbic system that can be prevented by pentoxifylline (PTX), a proinflammatory cytokine inhibitor...
- Pentoxifylline alleviates vascular impairment in insulin resistance via TNF-α inhibitionHany M El-Bassossy
Hypertension and Vascular Center, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, USA
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 384:277-85. 2011Deterioration of vascular reactivity plays a pivotal role in vascular complications. Pentoxifylline (PTX) is a well-tolerated drug used to treat vascular insufficiency...
- Pentoxifylline ameliorates lithium-pilocarpine induced status epilepticus in young ratsMohammad Tariq
Neuroscience Research Group, Research Center, Riyadh Military Hospital, W 912, PO Box 7897, Riyadh 11159, Saudi Arabia
Epilepsy Behav 12:354-65. 2008The neuroprotective effects of pentoxifylline (PTX) against lithium-pilocarpine (Li-Pc)-induced status epilepticus (SE) in young rats are described...
- Pentoxifylline inhibits melanoma tumor growth and angiogenesis by targeting STAT3 signaling pathwayMohammad Zahid Kamran
Gude Lab, Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer ACTREC, Tata Memorial Centre, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai 410210, Maharastra, India
Biomed Pharmacother 67:399-405. 2013b>Pentoxifylline (PTX), a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, has been shown to have anti-metastatic or anti-angiogenic activity against many human cancers. However, the underlying mechanisms are unknown...
- Systematic review on the treatment of pentoxifylline in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseWenjun Li
Department of Endocrinology, Shanghai Tenth People s Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200072, China
Lipids Health Dis 10:49. 2011As an anti-TNF agent that targets inflammatory process directly, Pentoxifylline has been investigated for treatment of NASH in individual studies and pilot trials for years...
- Effects of pentoxifylline treatment before freezing on motility, viability and acrosome status of poor quality human spermatozoa cryopreserved by the liquid nitrogen vapor methodS C Esteves
Laboratório de Reprodução Humana, Disciplina de Urologia, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 40:985-92. 2007The objective of the present study was to investigate the effects of the direct addition of pentoxifylline (PF) to the ejaculates of men with poor sperm quality before freezing on post-thaw sperm motility, viability, acrosome integrity, ..
- Pentoxifylline modulates intracellular signalling of TGF-beta in cultured human peritoneal mesothelial cells: implications for prevention of encapsulating peritoneal sclerosisKuan Yu Hung
Department of Internal Medicine, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Pan Chiao, Taiwan, ROC
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:670-6. 2003..reported previously that TGF-beta stimulates collagen gene expression in cultured HPMC, and is attenuated by pentoxifylline (PTX)...
- Effects of pentoxifylline on cytokine profiles and left ventricular performance in patients with decompensated congestive heart failure secondary to idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathyKaren Sliwa
Heart Failure Research Unit, Department of Cardiology, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, P O Bertsham, 2013 Johannesburg, South Africa
Am J Cardiol 90:1118-22. 2002..Although pentoxifylline, an immunomodulatory agent that inhibits tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) production, improves pump ..
- Pentoxifylline attenuates nociceptive sensitization and cytokine expression in a tibia fracture rat model of complex regional pain syndromeTzuping Wei
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Eur J Pain 13:253-62. 2009....
- Effects of pentoxifylline on peritoneal fibroblasts and silica-induced peritoneal fibrosisCheng Chung Fang
Department of Emergency Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Perit Dial Int 23:228-36. 2003..Up to now, the treatment of peritoneal fibrosis in patients with CAPD remains unsatisfactory. Pentoxifylline (PTX) is a xanthine derivative and is used in the treatment of peripheral vascular and cerebrovascular ..
- Pentoxifylline modulates cell surface integrin expression and integrin mediated adhesion of B16F10 cells to extracellular matrix componentsAparna Ratheesh
Gude Lab, Cancer Research Institute, Advanced Centre for Treatment Research and Education in Cancer, Tata Memorial Centre, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India
Cancer Biol Ther 6:1743-52. 2007Our previous studies demonstrated that Pentoxifylline (PTX), a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, could inhibit the lung homing of B16-F10 melanoma cells in C57BL/6 mice...
- Pentoxifylline and antioxidants improve sperm quality in male patients with varicoceleAlejandro Oliva
Unidad de Andrologia, Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Italiano de Rosario, Rosario, Argentina
Fertil Steril 91:1536-9. 2009We examined the effect of 12 weeks of daily oral administration of pentoxifylline with zinc and folic acid on the semen quality of 36 men with varicocele-associated infertility in an open, uncontrolled study...
- Pentoxifylline modulates intestinal tight junction signaling after burn injury: effects on myosin light chain kinaseTodd W Costantini
Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma, Surgical Critical Care, and Burns, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, California 92103 8896, USA
J Trauma 66:17-24; discussion 24-5. 2009..We have previously shown that pentoxifylline (PTX) decreases both TNF-alpha synthesis and NF-kappaB activation in models of shock...
- C60 fullerene-pentoxifylline dyad nanoparticles enhance autophagy to avoid cytotoxic effects caused by the β-amyloid peptideChi Ming Lee
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Nanomedicine 7:107-14. 2011..In this study, PEG-C(60)-3, a C(60) fullerene derivative incorporating poly(ethylene glycol), and its pentoxifylline-bearing hybrid (PTX-C(60)-2) were investigated against β-amyloid (Aβ)(25-35)-induced toxicity toward Neuro-..
- Pentoxifylline attenuates tubulointerstitial fibrosis by blocking Smad3/4-activated transcription and profibrogenic effects of connective tissue growth factorShuei Liong Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:2702-13. 2005b>Pentoxifylline (PTX) is a potent inhibitor of connective tissue growth factor (CTGF), but its underlying mechanism is poorly understood...
- Combined itraconazole-pentoxifylline treatment promptly reduces lung fibrosis induced by chronic pulmonary paracoccidioidomycosis in miceTonny W Naranjo
Unidad de Micología Médica y Experimental, Corporacion para Investigaciones Biologicas, Medellin, Colombia
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 24:81-91. 2011..In this study, was propose the pentoxifylline as complementary treatment in the pulmonary PCM due to its immunomodulatory and anti-fibrotic properties ..
- Pentoxifylline prevents spontaneous brain ischemia in stroke-prone ratsCristina Banfi
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 310:890-5. 2004Anti-inflammatory properties of pentoxifylline (PTX) have recently been described...
- Multiple pathological events in exercised dystrophic mdx mice are targeted by pentoxifylline: outcome of a large array of in vivo and ex vivo testsRosa Burdi
Unit of Pharmacology, Department of Pharmaco Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1311-24. 2009The phosphodiesterases inhibitor pentoxifylline gained attention for Duchenne muscular dystrophy therapy for its claimed anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antifibrotic action...
- Therapeutic options in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). Are all agents alike? Results of a preliminary studyEugen Florin Georgescu
Department of Internal Medicine 2, Filantropia University Hospital, Str Constantin Brancusi 3, 200136 Craiova, Romania
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 16:39-46. 2007The evaluation of the efficacy of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), pentoxifylline, losartan, and atorvastatin in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) treatment.
- Immunomodulatory properties of pentoxifylline are mediated via adenosine-dependent pathwaysSimone Kreth
Department of Anaesthesiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Shock 34:10-6. 2010The phosphodiesterase inhibitor pentoxifylline (PTX) exerts multiple beneficial immunomodulatory effects in states of hyperinflammation...
- Pentoxifylline downregulates profibrogenic cytokines and procollagen I expression in rat secondary biliary fibrosisC Raetsch
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Free University of Berlin, Germany
Gut 50:241-7. 2002The trisubstituted methylxanthine derivative pentoxifylline inhibits hepatic stellate cell proliferation and collagen synthesis in vitro...
- Pentoxifylline attenuated the renal disease progression in rats with remnant kidneyShuei Liong Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, No 7 Chung Shan South Road, Taipei, Taiwan
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2916-29. 2002Previous studies have reported that pentoxifylline, a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, attenuates experimental mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis...
- Renal pro-inflammatory cytokine gene expression in diabetic nephropathy: effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition and pentoxifylline administrationJuan F Navarro
Nephrology Service, University Hospital Nuestra Senora de Candelaria, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Am J Nephrol 26:562-70. 2006..In addition, we also investigated the effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition and pentoxifylline (PTF) administration on these parameters.
- Suppression of experimental systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in mice via TNF inhibition by an anti-TNFalpha monoclonal antibody and by pentoxiphyllineR Segal
Department of Immunology, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Lupus 10:23-31. 2001..Abrogation of TNFalpha and IL-1 production in the early stages of experimental SLE by an anti-TNFalpha mAb or by PTX improves the clinical status of mice afflicted with this autoimmune disease...
- Prophylactic effect of pentoxifylline on radiotherapy complications: a clinical studyErdinc Aygenc
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Numune Research and Educational Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:351-6. 2004The purpose of this study was to assess the prophylactic effect of pentoxifylline (Ptx) on complications related to radiation.
- Pentoxifylline attenuates TNF-α protein levels and brain edema following temporary focal cerebral ischemia in ratsAbedin Vakili
Department and Research Center of Physiology, School of Medicine, Semnan University of Medical Sciences, Semnan, Iran
Brain Res 1377:119-25. 2011..To further investigate whether TNF-α would play a role in brain edema formation, we examined the effects of pentoxifylline (PTX, an inhibitor of TNF-α synthesis) on the brain edema and TNF-α levels in a model of transient focal ..
- Role of cytokines (TNF-alpha, IL-1beta and KC) in the pathogenesis of CPT-11-induced intestinal mucositis in mice: effect of pentoxifylline and thalidomideMaria Luisa P Melo
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Ceara, Rua Cel Nunes de Melo, 1127, CEP 60 430 270 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 61:775-84. 2008..A major toxic effect of CPT-11 is delayed diarrhea; however, the exact mechanism by which the drug induces diarrhea has not been established...
- Pentoxifylline for treatment of venous leg ulcers: a systematic reviewAndrew Jull
Centre for Evidence Based Nursing Aotearoa, Auckland Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Lancet 359:1550-4. 2002..We did a systematic review of randomised controlled trials that compared pentoxifylline (with and without compression treatment) with placebo, or other treatments, in patients with venous leg ulcers.
- Double-blind placebo-controlled trial of pentoxifylline added to risperidone: effects on aberrant behavior in children with autismShahin Akhondzadeh
Psychiatric Research Centre, Roozbeh Psychiatric Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, South Kargar Street, Tehran 13337, Iran
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 34:32-6. 2010..The objective of this study was to access the effects of pentoxifylline plus risperidone in the treatment of autistic disorder.
- Pentoxifylline reduces biochemical markers of ischemia-reperfusion induced spinal cord injury in rabbitsS Savas
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Suleyman Demirel University Medical School, Isparta, Turkey
Spinal Cord 40:224-9. 2002Occlusion of the infrarenal abdominal aorta with administration of pentoxifylline was applied to adult rabbits, followed by removal of aortic clamp and reperfusion...
- Pentoxifylline after conservative surgery for endometriosis: a randomized, controlled trialHuse Kamencic
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15:62-6. 2008To compare outcomes after conservative surgery for endometriosis with and without pentoxifylline and to assess the efficacy of pentoxifylline in preventing recurrence of endometriosis after conservative surgery.
- Influence of pentoxifylline and interferon-alpha on prevention of stricture due to corrosive esophagitis. An experimental study in the ratB B Apaydin
Department of Surgery, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty of Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Surg Res 33:225-31. 2001The effects of pentoxifylline (PTX) and interferon alpha (IFN-alpha) in the prevention of strictures due to corrosive esophagitis in rats were investigated. Forty rats were randomly divided into four equal groups...
- Pentoxifylline aggravates fatty liver in obese and diabetic ob/ob mice by increasing intestinal glucose absorption and activating hepatic lipogenesisJ Massart
INSERM, U991, Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes, France
Br J Pharmacol 165:1361-74. 2012b>Pentoxifylline is in clinical trials for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and diabetic nephropathy. Metabolic and hepatic effects of pentoxifylline were assessed in a murine model of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Unravelling the antimetastatic potential of pentoxifylline, a methylxanthine derivative in human MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cellsPeeyush N Goel
Gude Lab, Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer, Tata Memorial Centre, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai 410210, India
Mol Cell Biochem 358:141-51. 2011b>Pentoxifylline (PTX), a methylxanthine derivative is a non-steroidal immunomodulating agent with unique hemorheologic properties...
- The use of pentoxifylline as adjuvant therapy with praziquantel downregulates profibrogenic cytokines, collagen deposition and oxidative stress in experimental schistosomiasis mansoniNaglaa El-Lakkany
Pharmacology Department, Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Warrak el Hadar, Imbaba, P O Box 30, Giza 12411, Egypt
Exp Parasitol 129:152-7. 2011This study investigates the possible use of pentoxifylline (PTX), with antifibrotic and anti-inflammatory properties, as adjuvant in treatment of schistosomal liver fibrosis through determination of some profibrogenic cytokines, oxidative ..
- Effects of pentoxifylline on inflammatory parameters in chronic kidney disease patients: a randomized trialMarian Goicoechea
Nephrology Unit, University Hospital Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
J Nephrol 25:969-75. 2012b>Pentoxifylline (PTF) is a potential therapeutic agent in chronic kidney disease due to its antiinflammatory and antiproteinuric effects that may influence the progression of renal disease.
- Pentoxifylline and prevention of hyperoxia-induced lung -injury in neonatal ratsBeatriz Almario
Department of Pediatrics, Batchelor Children s Research Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Pediatr Res 71:583-9. 2012..The phosphodiesterase inhibitor pentoxifylline (PTX) has anti-inflammatory and antifibrotic effects in multiple organs...
- The efficacy of pentoxifylline in the treatment of vascular dementia: a systematic reviewMichael C Sha
Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 17:46-54. 2003This systematic review seeks to (1) summarize the pharmacologic effects of pentoxifylline on the cerebrovasculature and (2) review critically the studies evaluating pentoxifylline in the treatment of vascular dementia...
- Systematic review: pentoxifylline for the treatment of severe alcoholic hepatitisR Parker
NIHR Centre for Liver Research and Biomedical Research Unit, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 37:845-54. 2013Acute alcoholic hepatitis (AH) is a severe manifestation of alcoholic liver disease with a grave prognosis. Pentoxifylline, an oral antitumour necrosis factor agent, has been reported to reduce mortality and incidence of hepatorenal ..
- American cutaneous leishmaniasis unresponsive to antimonial drugs: successful treatment using combination of N-methilglucamine antimoniate plus pentoxifyllineAndre Bafica
Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade Federal da Bahia, Brazil
Int J Dermatol 42:203-7. 2003..Cytokines, among other factors, have been shown to influence lesion development and tumoral necrosis factor-alpha is a major cytokine implicated in pathogenesis of ulcers...
- Additive antiproteinuric effect of pentoxifylline in patients with type 2 diabetes under angiotensin II receptor blockade: a short-term, randomized, controlled trialJuan F Navarro
Servicio de Nefrologia, Hospital Nuestra Señora de Candelaria, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife 38010, Spain
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:2119-26. 2005..This study tested the hypothesis that the combination of pentoxifylline (PTF) with angiotensin II receptor blockers in normotensive patients with type 2 diabetes produces an additive ..
- Potentiation of antimetastatic activity of pentoxifylline in B16F10 and B16F1 melanoma cells through inhibition of glutathione contentVivek Shukla
Chemotherapy Division, Tata Memorial Centre, Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer, Navi Mumbai, India
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 18:559-64. 2003The aim of this work is to evaluate the antioxidative activity of antimetastatic agent pentoxifylline (PTX) in B16F10 and B16F1 melanoma cells.
- Treatment of vascular inner ear disease in vascular patients with pentoxifylline: a controlled, randomized trialM R Cesarone
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Chieti University and San Valentino Vascular Screening Project, PE, Italy
Angiology 53:S23-6. 2002The efficacy of Pentoxifylline in vascular inner ear disease (VIED) was studied comparing PXF and placebo in a 4-week study; 40 patients with vascular disease and monolateral loss of hearing, vertigo, dizziness, tinnitus (analyzed with an ..
- Prevention of hepatopulmonary syndrome and hyperdynamic state by pentoxifylline in cirrhotic ratsB Sztrymf
Laboratoire de Chirurgie Experimentale, Unité Propre de Recherche de l Enseignement Supérieur Equipe d Accueil 2705, Centre Chirurgical Marie Lannelongue, Universite Paris Sud, Paris, France
Eur Respir J 23:752-8. 2004..TNF-alpha was inhibited by 5 weeks of pentoxifylline (10 mg x kg body weigh(-1) x day(-1)) in rats with cirrhosis induced by common bile duct ligation...
- Effect of pentoxifylline on proteinuria, markers of tubular injury and oxidative stress in non-diabetic patients with chronic kidney disease - placebo controlled, randomized, cross-over studyMarcin Renke
Department of Nephrology, Transplantology and Internal Medicine, Medical University of Gdansk, Gdansk, Poland
Acta Biochim Pol 57:119-23. 2010..However, there is no universal therapy that can stop progression of CKD. Pentoxifylline (PTE) is a non-specific phosphodiesterase inhibitor with anti-inflammatory properties...
- May pentoxifylline improve lung function after one-lung flooding?S Klinzing
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Germany
Res Exp Med (Berl) 200:69-76. 2001..A study was made on four animals to determine whether administration of pentoxifylline--a potent inhibitor of granulocyte adhesion to the endothelium--improves lung function after one-lung flooding...
- Combination therapy including pentoxifylline for entero-BehÃ§et's diseaseT Hisamatsu
Department of Internal Medicine, Ichikawa General Hospital, Tokyo Dental College, 5-11-13, Sugano, Ichikawa, Chiba 272-8513, Japan
Bull Tokyo Dent Coll 42:169-76. 2001..We utilized a combination therapy including 600 mg of pentoxifylline per day, in two doses, to treat three female patients and observed the subsequent changes in clinical symptoms,..
- Pentoxifylline inhibits integrin-mediated adherence of 12(S)-HETE and TNFalpha-activated B16F10 cells to fibronectin and endothelial cellsMeenakashi Jain
Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer, Tata Memorial Centre, Navi Mumbai, India
Chemotherapy 56:82-8. 2010b>Pentoxifylline (PTX), a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, inhibits homing of metastatic B16F10 melanoma cells to the lung...
- Pentoxifylline therapy after laparoscopic surgery for different stages of endometriosis: a prospective, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled studySaeed Alborzi
Division of Infertility and Endoscopic Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14:54-8. 2007To evaluate the effects of pentoxifylline administration on patients with different stages of endometriosis on whom laparoscopy was performed.
- Attenuation of morphine tolerance by minocycline and pentoxifylline in naive and neuropathic miceJoanna Mika
Department of Pain Pharmacology, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 12 Smetna Street, 31 343 Krakow, Poland
Brain Behav Immun 23:75-84. 2009..This study explores the effects of two glial activation inhibitors, minocycline and pentoxifylline, on the development of tolerance to morphine in naive and chronic constriction injury (CCI)-exposed mice...
- Pentoxifylline for diabetic kidney diseaseDan Shan
Department of Geriatrics, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2:CD006800. 2012..b>Pentoxifylline is a methylxanthine phosphodiesterase inhibitor with favourable anti-inflammatory effects and immunoregulatory ..
- The effect of pentoxifylline on ultrastructure and antioxidant potential during cyclophosphamide-induced liver injuryM Sulkowska
Department of Pathological Anatomy, Medical University of Bialystok, Poland
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 31:413-22. 1999The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of pentoxifylline (PTXF) (30 mg/kg b.w. for 10 days) on the antioxidant potential in the rat liver after single intraperitoneal (i.p.) cyclophosphamide (CP) administration (150 mg/kg b.w...
- Alleviation of mutagenic effects of polycyclic aromatic agents (quinacrine mustard, ICR-191 and ICR-170) by caffeine and pentoxifyllineJacek Piosik
Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology, University of Gdansk and Medical University of Gdansk, Kladki 24, 80 822 Gdansk, Poland
Mutat Res 530:47-57. 2003..Here we demonstrate that caffeine and another xanthine, pentoxifylline (PTX), effectively alleviate mutagenic action of polycyclic aromatic agents (exemplified by quinacrine mustard ..
- Preservation of peritoneal morphology and function by pentoxifylline in a rat model of peritoneal dialysis: molecular studiesKuan Yu Hung
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:3831-40. 2008High-glucose (HG) content of dialysate accelerated peritoneal fibrosis. We investigated in vitro mechanisms and the in vivo potential of pentoxifylline (PTX) to prevent this fibrogenic process.
- Pentoxifylline improves circulatory failure and survival in murine models of endotoxaemiaC C Wu
Department of Pharmacology, National Defense Medical Centre, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur J Pharmacol 373:41-9. 1999b>Pentoxifylline, a methylxanthine derivative, has been widely used to improve erythrocyte deformability and capillary blood circulation in patients with claudication and cerebrovascular disorders as well as in animals with sepsis...
- Effects of the non-selective phosphodiesterase inhibitor pentoxifylline on regional cerebral blood flow and large arteries in healthy subjectsC Kruuse
Department of Neurology, Glostrup Hospital, University of Copenhagen, DK 2600 Glostrup Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Neurol 7:629-38. 2000The vasodilating properties of the non-selective phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitor pentoxifylline were evaluated. Pentoxifylline has been reported to increase cerebral blood flow (CBF) and improve recovery rate of stroke patients...
- Pharmacodynamics of pentoxifylline and/or praziquantel in murine schistosomiasis mansoniNaglaa El-Lakkany
Department of Pharmacology, Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Guiza, Egypt
APMIS 115:184-94. 2007b>Pentoxifylline (PTX) was proved to exert both anti-inflammatory and anti-fibrotic effects, and was used therapeutically in this experimental model to investigate its role alone or with praziquantel (PZQ) in Schistosoma mansoni-infected ..
- Severe ischemia of the glans penis following circumcision: a successful treatment via pentoxifyllineAdnan Aslan
Akdeniz University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Antalya, Turkey
Int J Urol 12:705-7. 2005..This was successfully treated with pentoxifylline injection for 5 days, and while the black color of the glans penis changed to brownish at 48 h, appearances ..
- Pentoxifylline is as effective as captopril in the reduction of microalbuminuria in non-hypertensive type 2 diabetic patients--a randomized, equivalent trialM Rodriguez-Moran
Medical Research Unit in Clinical Epidemiology of the Mexican Social Security Institute, and Research Group on Diabetes and Chronic Illnesses, Durango, Mexico
Clin Nephrol 64:91-7. 2005To compare the efficacy of pentoxifylline and captopril on urinary albumin excretion (UAE) rate in non-hypertensive diabetic patients with microalbuminuria.
- Pentoxifylline fails to attenuate fibrosis in dystrophic (mdx) diaphragm muscleLuc E Gosselin
Department of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, 405 Kimball Tower, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
Muscle Nerve 33:820-3. 2006..The purpose of this study was to determine whether pentoxifylline (PTX) treatment for 4 weeks (16 mg/kg/day) could significantly attenuate the process of fibrosis in diaphragm ..
- Inhibition of tumor necrosis factor alpha gene transcription by pentoxifylline reduces normothermic liver ischemia-reperfusion injury in ratsA El-Ghoneimi
Laboratoire de Recherches Chirurgicales, IFR 50, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Nice, France
Transplant Proc 39:1761-4. 2007b>Pentoxifylline (PTX) has been shown to protect the liver against normothermic ischemia-reperfusion (I-R) injury...
- [Malignant atrophic papulosis (Köhlmeier-Degos disease). Failure to respond to interferon alpha-2a, pentoxifylline and aspirin]B Melnik
Dermatologie, Umweltmedizin und Gesundheitstheorie, Universitat Osnabruck, Germany
Hautarzt 53:618-21. 2002..Furthermore, we could not confirm the effectiveness of a recently reported treatment modality with pentoxifylline and aspirin administered to our patient over a period of 5 months.
- Pentoxifylline modifies three-dimensional collagen lattice model contraction and expression of collagen types I and III by human fibroblasts derived from post-burn hypertrophic scars and from normal skinCesar Isaac
Faculty of Medicine, Cell Culture and Wound Healing Research Laboratory, Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Doutor Arnaldo 455 sala 1360, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Burns 35:701-6. 2009..model we subjected hypertrophic scar and non-cicatricial fibroblasts to the antifibrogenic agent pentoxifylline (PTF - 1mg/mL) in order to reduce proliferation, collagen types I and III synthesis and model contraction...
- In vitro antioxidant properties of pentoxifylline, piracetam, and vinpocetineBeata Horvath
First Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Pecs School of Medicine, Pecs, Hungary
Clin Neuropharmacol 25:37-42. 2002....
- Effects of pentoxifylline on the hepatic content of TGF-beta1 and collagen in Schistosomiasis japonica mice with liver fibrosisLi juan Xiong
Department of Infectious Diseases, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022, Hubei Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:152-4. 2003To study the effects of pentoxifylline (PTX) on the content of hepatic TGF-beta1, type I and type III collagen in schistosomiasis japonica mice with liver fibrosis and its mechanism of anti-fibrosis.
- Pentoxifylline treatment improves neurological and neurochemical deficits in rats subjected to transient brain ischemiaRenata de Barros Bruno
Department of Biophysiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine of Juazeiro do Norte FMJ, Av Tenente Raimundo Rocha s n, Juazeiro do Norte, 63040 000, Brazil
Brain Res 1260:55-64. 2009The possible neuroprotector effects of pentoxifylline (P), a methylxanthine derivative and phosphodiesterase inhibitor, were studied on male Wistar rats subjected to a model of transient brain ischemia...
- A comparison of heat-induced hyperactivation in patients' sperm after colloid or pentoxifylline wash methodsV L Miller
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, California 92350, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 184:1057-9. 2001..STUDY DESIGN: Sperm specimens (N = 169 cases) were washed by either colloid or pentoxifylline wash methods, and the motility parameters were measured at either 37 degrees C or 40 degrees C at baseline (0 ..
- Antioxidant and radical scavenging properties of 8-oxo derivatives of xanthine drugs pentoxifylline and lisofyllineV B Bhat
Department of Organic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560 012, India
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 288:1212-7. 2001The antioxidant and radical scavenging properties of 8-oxo derivatives of pentoxifylline, lisofylline, enprofylline (3-propyl xanthine), and 1,7-dimethyl enprofylline were studied in vitro...
- Inhibition of tubulointerstitial fibrosis by pentoxifylline is associated with improvement of vascular endothelial growth factor expressionQiu Gen Zhou
Division of Nephrology, Southern Medical University Nanfang Hospital, Guangzhou 510515, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 30:98-106. 2009Recent information indicates that pentoxifylline (PTX) has the ability to suppress inflammation and profibrotic cell proliferation...
- Inhibition of homologous recombination repair with Pentoxifylline targets G2 cells generated by radiotherapy and induces major enhancements of the toxicity of cisplatin and melphalan given after irradiationLothar Bohm
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pretoria P O Box 2034, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Radiat Oncol 1:12. 2006The presentation reviews the modus operandi of the dose modifying drug Pentoxifylline and the dose enhancement factors which can be achieved in different cell types...
- The effects of pentoxifylline on the myocardial inflammation and ischemia-reperfusion injury during cardiopulmonary bypassHasim Ustunsoy
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Gaziantep University Medical Faculty, Gaziantep, Turkey
J Card Surg 21:57-61. 2006b>Pentoxifylline (Ptx) decreases necessity of cell energy and inflammatory reactions via inhibition of 5'-nucleotidase (5'-NT)...
- The cerebroprotective effects of pentoxifylline and aprotinin during cardiopulmonary bypass in dogsKadir Durgut
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Meram School of Medicine, University of Selcuk, Konya, Turkey
Perfusion 19:101-6. 2004The purpose of this study was to investigate the cerebroprotective effects of pentoxifylline (PNX) and aprotinin in dogs using cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB).
- Steroid-sparing effects of pentoxifylline in pulmonary sarcoidosisM K Park
Translational Medicine Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1434, USA
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 26:121-31. 2009..Agents that target pro-inflammatory cytokines may be useful in pulmonary sarcoidosis...
- Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium (ROC) Regional Clinical Center-Seattle-KingPETER JAMES KUDENCHUK; Fiscal Year: 2013..injury, 2) intravenous estrogen to decrease the magnitude of reperfusion injury, and 3) intravenous pentoxifylline to reduce release of inflammatory mediators and reactive oxidants after reperfusion...
- Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium (ROC) Regional Clinical Centers-MilwaukeeTOM PAUL AUFDERHEIDE; Fiscal Year: 2013..injury, 2) intravenous estrogen to decrease the magnitude of reperfusion injury, and 3) intravenous pentoxifylline to reduce release of inflammatory mediators and reactive oxidants after reperfusion...
- Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium (ROC) Regional Clinical Center-PittsburghClifton W Callaway; Fiscal Year: 2013..injury, 2) intravenous estrogen to decrease the magnitude of reperfusion injury, and 3) intravenous pentoxifylline to reduce release of inflammatory mediators and reactive oxidants after reperfusion...
- Novel therapies in alcoholic hepatitis University of LouisvilleCraig J McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..The most widely-used (off-label) drug therapies for AH are glucocorticoids and pentoxifylline. Both agents have anti-inflammatory activities and downregulate proinflammatory cytokines such as tumor ..
- Obesity and Pancreatic Cancer: The Role of IGF-1Susan M Fischer; Fiscal Year: 2012..To determine the importance of cytokines to pancreatic tumorigenesis, an inhibitor of cytokine synthesis, pentoxifylline, will be administered to K5.COX-2 mice on CR, normal or obesity-inducing diets...
- Novel Therapies for Alcoholic HepatitisGyongyi Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2013..The most commonly used off-label drugs for AH are corticosteroids and pentoxifylline. Unfortunately, even patients with AH treated with corticosteroids have a 6 month mortality of 40%...
- PAIN EVOKED RELEASE OF AMINO ACIDS AND PROSTANOIDSTony L Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2012..3) Given the role of microglia, spinal blockade of activation using agents such as minocycline or pentoxifylline will block: P38 activation, evoked release of spinal PG, COX2 upregulation and hyperalgesia...
- Clincal Research Network in Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH CRN)Arthur Joseph McCullough; Fiscal Year: 2013..the specific aims stated above and additionally conduct 2 clinical trials using S adenosyl L-methionine and pentoxifylline, based on sound pathophysiological rationale developed during the initial funding period...
- Gut Microbiota and Atherosclerosis in ESRDDOMINIC S RAJ; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Pentoxifylline (PTX) blocks cytokine generation in response to endotoxemia at the tissue level, and hence complements the ..
- HIV, Inflammation, and Endothelial DysfunctionSamir Kumar Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our novel preliminary data suggest that the anti-inflammatory drug pentoxifylline (PTX) may significantly improve flow-mediated dilation of the brachial artery, an in vivo measure of ..
- Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium (ROC) Regional Clinical Center-Toronto RegionalLaurie Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2013
- Peptide Vaccine for Experimental Autoimmune MyocarditisDaniel Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Other recent reports also have show a role for IL-10 in disease control in EAM, including use of pentoxifylline which was reported as being used in the human condition...
- NUTRITION AND DRUGS REDUCE PROTEIN LOSS IN SEPSISROLAND DICKERSON; Fiscal Year: 1992..Four anti-catabolic agents (propranolol, phentolamine, octreotide, and pentoxifylline) with different pharmacologic actions will be studied...
- ORTHOPEDIC SEPSIS: PATHOGENESIS, DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENTRobert Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 1991..4) concomittant therapy of antimicrobials with substances that enhance cell membrane fluidity such as pentoxifylline which locally increases chemotaxis and phagocytosis can be currative of A.H.O...
- Phosphodiesterase-inhibitors, vascular integrity and SCIRaymond J Grill; Fiscal Year: 2010..acute treatment with 2 PDE-ls, a specific PDE4a-inhibitor called rolipram and a non- selective PDE-I known as pentoxifylline reduce protein extravasation following SCI;protecting the BSCB and promoting improved neurological outcome...
- Hepatopulmonary Syndrome Investigative GroupMichael Fallon; Fiscal Year: 2005..for exploring specific genetic polymorphisms as contributors to susceptibility and for defining whether pentoxifylline ameliorates gas exchange abnormalities...
- GROWTH PLATE RADIATION RESPONSE--MECHANISMS AND THERAPYRandy Rosier; Fiscal Year: 2000..2C) We will study pentoxifylline as an additinal response modifier to: decrease cytosolic calcium and TNFalpha expression; and to stimulate ..
- WEAR DEBRIS OSTEOLYSIS--NEW STRATEGIES FOR PREVENTIONREGIS O KEEFE; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since some of these agents, including the phosphodiesterase inhibitor ciprofloxacin and pentoxifylline have possible clinical significance, the potential of these various agents to inhibit bone resorption will be ..
- MODULATION OF HEPATOCELLULAR FUNCTION IN EARLY SEPSISPing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2000..TNF and IL-6 with TNF- binding proteins and anti-IL-6 antibody prevents hepatocellular dysfunction; 2) whether pentoxifylline, ATP-MgC1/2, or chemically modified heparin decreases TNF and IL-6 and subsequently prevents hepatocellular ..
- MODULATION OF HEPATOCELLULAR FUNCTION IN EARLY SEPSISPing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2000..e., soluble TNF receptors ) and anti-IL-6 antibody prevents hepatocellular dysfunction; 2) whether pentoxifylline, ATP-MgC12, chemically modified heparin downregulates TNF and Il-6 and subsequently prevents hepatocellular ..
- INFLAMMATION AND MULTISTAGE CARCINOGENESISFredika Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2000..the following Specific Aims are proposed: 1) Examine the ability of the cytokine synthesis inhibitor Pentoxifylline to inhibit infiltration of leukocyte populations, inhibit cytokine gene expression, inhibit DNA damage and ..
- CLINICAL TRIALS OF BIOLOGICAL RESPONSE MODIFIERSMICHAEL LOTZE; Fiscal Year: 1999..of cytokines (preclinical studies of NO synthase inhibitors such as amino guanidine, TNF inhibitors such as pentoxifylline), adoptive immunotherapies using antibodies (R24, Bec2) or cellular reagents (TIL, ANK), and cytokine gene ..
- ACTIVATION OF HIV-1 BY SMOKING AND TUBERCULOSISZahra Toossi; Fiscal Year: 2000..The antioxidant N-acetylacysteine and the tumor necrosis factor alpha(TNF) inhibitor pentoxifylline inhibit HIV production in AM from smokers...
- CHEMOKINE REGULATION IN PULMONARY OXYGEN INJURYCARL D ANGIO; Fiscal Year: 2001..Interference with IL-1Beta and TNFalpha activity by the addition of IL-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1ra) and pentoxifylline, respectively, will test their necessity to the response in oxygen-exposed cells from the human U937 ..
- PEDIATRIC DRUG EVALUATION RESOURCEJohn Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Notable are pediatric therapeutic advances in a thermo-regulatory basis for antipyretic drug action, pentoxifylline for sickle cell disease, and clinical trial efficacy and safety data for a new formulation of acetaminophen ..
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Clinical Research NetworkJay Ryu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The first study will examine the effects of combined imatinib and pentoxifylline regimen compared to placebo in the treatment of IPF...
- REGULATION LYMPHOCYTE PROLIFERATION AND DIFFERENTIATIOJOAN PRESS; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will also seek a mechanism for the inhibition of AICD by the drug pentoxifylline. Lastly, phosphorylation of IK-Ba and its effects on c-Rel versus p65 association will be analyzed by ..
- Induction of suppression for Islet TransplantationZandong Yang; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will provide an experimental strategy of using AAV vlL-10 gene therapy to investigate immunosuppression induction in islet transplantation. ..
- KIDNEY RESPONSE TO RADIATION AND CHEMOTHERAPYJOHN MOULDER; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] 4) Complete the randomized, prospective, trial of the use of ACE inhibitors to prevent the development of radiation nephropathy in BMT patients. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV-Related Proteinuria and Endothelial DysfunctionSamir Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dub6) in the fields of HIV metabolic and renal complications, renal vascular and glomerular pathology, and clinical trials design and implementation. ..
- Beneficial Effects of Chemokines in LiverJACQUELYN MAHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..If chemokines have significant cytoprotective effects, then anti-chemokine therapy may be complicated by unwanted side effects. ..
- PERINATAL ESTROGEN, OXIDATIVE DAMAGES & UTERINE LESIONSDeodutta Roy; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Effect of Alcohol on HIV-1 Immune Responses & BBB DamageYuri Persidsky; Fiscal Year: 2004..The ability to use an in vitro BBB and an in vivo animal model will help in defining mechanisms of disease progression in the setting of alcohol abuse. ..
- Role of inflammation in manganese-induced neurotoxicityNIKOLAY FILIPOV; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal of the proposed studies is to understand the role of microglia and environmental contaminants in neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- BLOOD FACTORS AND PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE OUTCOMESMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE AND FUNCTIONAL OUTCOMESMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2001..They further state that the results of this study will be used to develop subsequent intervention studies designed to improve quality of life and prevent functional decline among men and women with PAD. ..
- MECHANISM AND ROLE OF MICROSOMAL ETHANOL OXIDATIONCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2001..Such information is aimed at elucidating key aspects of alcohol mediated pathology in a way which may eventually affect alcohol related medical complications, their prevention and treatment. ..
- Mechanisms of Disability in Peripheral Arterial DiseaseMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results will be used to develop interventions designed to improve lower extremity functioning and prevent functional decline in persons with PAD. ..
- NONHISTONE PROTEINS AND HORMONAL CARCINOGENESISDeodutta Roy; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Magnetic Resonance in Peripheral Arterial DiseaseMary Mcgrae McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2010..This knowledge, in subsequent studies, is expected to lead to new therapies for PAD-related functional impairment and functional decline. ..
- Antiviral/Antifibrotic Liver Therapy of Hepatitis C positive Alcohol DrinkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accordingly, support is requested for the completion of this novel approach for the treatment of HCV+ patients who become abstinent or who continue to consume alcohol moderately. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANTIVIRAL & ANTIFIBROTIC LIVER THERAPY OF HCV+ DRINKERSCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2005..Funds are requested for special laboratory tests, study nurses, travel to meetings, patient monitoring expenses and a core office. ..
- Candida-endothelial interactions under conditions of flowMartin Thornhill; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy & Venlafaxine Treatments For Anxiety In AlcoholismDomenic Ciraulo; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Improving Functioning in Peripheral Arterial DiseaseMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2007..By identifying the optimal exercise program for improving functioning in PAD patients with and without IC, our findings will have substantial clinical and public health implications for millions of patients with PAD. ..
- Inflammation and Insulin Resistance in PADMark Creager; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is anticipated that the findings from this investigation will uncover novel pathophysiologic mechanisms and foster a new paradigm for the treatment of PAD. ..
- Inflammation and Peripheral Arterial Disease OutcomesMary McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results will be used to develop interventions to improve functioning and prevent functional decline in PAD. ..
- Low Cost Production of the Malaria Drug ArtemetherBrooks Hybertson; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project seeks to develop, validate, and commercialize a new, cheaper method for producing the highly effective malaria drug artemether from the Sweet Wormwood plant. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Calcification of Elastin: Mechanisms and PreventionNaren Vyavahare; Fiscal Year: 2008..Long-term objective of our program is to understand the mechanistic pathways of elastin calcification so that it can be prevented or reversed. The following specific aims will be pursued in this continuation program. ..
- TRAINING GRANT IN MOLECULAR CARDIOLOGYMark Entman; Fiscal Year: 2008..This integrated design has consistently proven to be effective in providing successful independent and competitive investigators in molecular biology of cardiovascular medicine. ..
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Oxidative Nutrition in Dialysis PatientsKamyar Kalantar Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2008..The appetite stimulating arm will include pentoxifylline 800 mg thrice weekly or its placebo...
- Targeting Inflammation to Improve Endothelial Function in Type 2 Diabetes: A SubsMark A Creager; Fiscal Year: 2010..End of Abstract) ..
- The Role of TIMP-1 in Uterine PhysiologyWarren Nothnick; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will broaden our understanding on the role of TIMP-1 in uterine physiology and may help to develop new strategies to treat uterine disorders such as infertility, endometriosis and uterine cancer. ..
- The Effect of Statins on Skeletal Muscle FunctionPAUL DAVIS THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Liver Fibrosis, Inflammation & Oxidative Stress MarkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..