Genomes and Genes
Summary: A XANTHINE OXIDASE inhibitor that decreases URIC ACID production. It also acts as an antimetabolite on some simpler organisms.
Publications324 found, 100 shown here
- Allopurinol is the most common cause of Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in Europe and IsraelSima Halevy
Department of Dermatology, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
J Am Acad Dermatol 58:25-32. 2008..Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) are rare severe cutaneous adverse reactions...
- Effect of allopurinol in chronic kidney disease progression and cardiovascular riskMarian Goicoechea
Servicio de Nefrologia, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1388-93. 2010Hyperuricemia is associated with hypertension, inflammation, renal disease progression, and cardiovascular disease. However, no data are available regarding the effect of allopurinol in patients with chronic kidney disease.
- Use of allopurinol in slowing the progression of renal disease through its ability to lower serum uric acid levelYui Pong Siu
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Am J Kidney Dis 47:51-9. 2006Hyperuricemia is associated strongly with the development of hypertension, renal disease, and progression. Allopurinol decreases serum uric acid levels by inhibiting the enzyme xanthine oxidase...
- Effect of allopurinol on blood pressure of adolescents with newly diagnosed essential hypertension: a randomized trialDaniel I Feig
Department of Pediatrics, Renal Section, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
JAMA 300:924-32. 2008..Experimentally increasing uric acid levels using a uricase inhibitor causes systemic hypertension in animal models...
- A randomized study of allopurinol on endothelial function and estimated glomular filtration rate in asymptomatic hyperuricemic subjects with normal renal functionMehmet Kanbay
Alparslan Mahallesi, Umit sokak, No 25 14, Melikgazi, Kayseri, Turkey
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:1887-94. 2011..We hypothesized that lowering uric acid in subjects with asymptomatic hyperuricemia with allopurinol might improve endothelial dysfunction, BP, estimated GFR (eGFR), and inflammatory markers.
- Uric acid is a danger signal activating NALP3 inflammasome in lung injury inflammation and fibrosisPamela Gasse
University of Orleans and CNRS, Orleans, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179:903-13. 2009..The molecular mechanisms by which lung injury triggers IL-1beta production, inflammation, and fibrosis remain poorly understood...
- Effect of treatment of hyperuricemia with allopurinol on blood pressure, creatinine clearence, and proteinuria in patients with normal renal functionsMehmet Kanbay
35 Sokak, 81 5, Bahcelievler, Ankara, 06490, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 39:1227-33. 2007..We therefore conducted a prospective study to investigate the benefits of allopurinol treatment in hyperuricemic patients with normal renal function.
- The urate-lowering efficacy and safety of febuxostat in the treatment of the hyperuricemia of gout: the CONFIRMS trialMichael A Becker
The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, MC0930, University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 S, Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R63. 2010The purpose of this study was to compare urate-lowering (UL) efficacy and safety of daily febuxostat and allopurinol in subjects with gout and serum urate (sUA) > or = 8.0 mg/dL in a six-month trial.
- Mechanistic insights into the therapeutic use of high-dose allopurinol in angina pectorisNarasimharajapura S Rajendra
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Medical School, Dundee, UK
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:820-8. 2011The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of high-dose allopurinol on vascular oxidative stress (OS) and endothelial function in subjects with stable coronary artery disease (CAD).
- N-acetylcysteine and allopurinol synergistically enhance cardiac adiponectin content and reduce myocardial reperfusion injury in diabetic ratsTingting Wang
Department of Anaesthesiology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
PLoS ONE 6:e23967. 2011..It is unknown whether or not antioxidant treatment with N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and/or allopurinol (ALP) can attenuate APN deficiency and myocardial ischemia reperfusion (MI/R) injury in the early stage of ..
- Effect of allopurinol on clinical outcomes in inflammatory bowel disease nonresponders to azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurineMiles P Sparrow
Section of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:209-14. 2007..We describe the use of allopurinol in AZA/6-MP nonresponders to deliberately shunt metabolism of 6-MP toward 6-thioguanine (6-TGN) and improve ..
- Meta-analysis: allopurinol in the prevention of postendoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitisY Bai
Department of Gastroenterology, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:557-64. 2008Several clinical trials evaluating the prophylactic effect of allopurinol on postendoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) pancreatitis have been published; however, there is no consensus on whether prophylactic allopurinol ..
- Strong association between HLA-B*5801 and allopurinol-induced Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in a Thai populationWichittra Tassaneeyakul
Departments of Pharmacology, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Pharmacogenet Genomics 19:704-9. 2009b>Allopurinol, a uric acid lowering drug commonly used for hyperuricemia and gouty arthritis, has been reported as a common cause of severe cutaneous adverse drug reactions (SCAR) including Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic ..
- Xanthine oxidase is involved in free radical production in type 1 diabetes: protection by allopurinolMarí Carmen Desco
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Diabetes 51:1118-24. 2002..This is completely inhibited by allopurinol, an inhibitor of xanthine oxidase...
- High-dose allopurinol improves endothelial function by profoundly reducing vascular oxidative stress and not by lowering uric acidJacob George
Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Circulation 114:2508-16. 2006b>Allopurinol has been shown to improve endothelial function in chronic heart failure. This study aimed to establish its mechanism of action and to construct a dose-response curve for the effect of allopurinol.
- HLA-B*5801 allele as a genetic marker for severe cutaneous adverse reactions caused by allopurinolShuen Iu Hung
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei 11529, Taiwan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:4134-9. 2005b>Allopurinol, a commonly prescribed medication for gout and hyperuricemia, is a frequent cause of severe cutaneous adverse reactions (SCAR), which include the drug hypersensitivity syndrome, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and toxic epidermal ..
- Gout epidemiology: results from the UK General Practice Research Database, 1990-1999T R Mikuls
Department of Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center and Omaha VA Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 64:267-72. 2005..To examine the epidemiology of gout and gout treatment in the United Kingdom using a large national practice based population...
- Effect of long-term and high-dose allopurinol therapy on endothelial function in normotensive diabetic patientsAli Dogan
Department of Cardiology, Erciyes University, Faculty of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Blood Press 20:182-7. 2011..Xanthine oxidase inhibition with allopurinol decreases uric acid levels and oxidative stress and improves endothelial function...
- Reduction of uric acid levels with allopurinol treatment improves endothelial function in patients with chronic kidney diseaseBerna Yelken
Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Nephrol 77:275-82. 2012..In this prospective study, we aimed to evaluate the effects of treatment of hyperuricemia with allopurinol on ED and changes in the serum reactive oxygen species in patients with CKD.
- High-dose allopurinol reduces left ventricular mass in patients with ischemic heart diseaseSushma Rekhraj
Division of Cardiovascular and Diabetes Medicine, Medical Research Institute, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:926-32. 2013This study sought to ascertain if high-dose allopurinol regresses left ventricular mass (LVM) in patients with ischemic heart disease (IHD).
- Allopurinol benefits left ventricular mass and endothelial dysfunction in chronic kidney diseaseMichelle P Kao
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, United Kingdom
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:1382-9. 2011b>Allopurinol ameliorates endothelial dysfunction and arterial stiffness among patients without chronic kidney disease (CKD), but it is unknown if it has similar effects among patients with CKD...
- N-Acetylcysteine and allopurinol up-regulated the Jak/STAT3 and PI3K/Akt pathways via adiponectin and attenuated myocardial postischemic injury in diabetesTingting Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Free Radic Biol Med 63:291-303. 2013N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) and allopurinol (ALP) synergistically reduce myocardial ischemia reperfusion (MI/R) injury in diabetes. However, the mechanism is unclear...
- A prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of prednisone and allopurinol in the prevention of ERCP-induced pancreatitisA Budzynska
Dept of Gastroenterology, Silesian Medical Academy, Katowice, Poland
Endoscopy 33:766-72. 2001..Corticosteroids, potent anti-inflammatory drugs, and allopurinol--a xanthine oxidase inhibitor that blocks the generation of oxygen-derived free radicals--may be potentially ..
- Effect of high-dose allopurinol on exercise in patients with chronic stable angina: a randomised, placebo controlled crossover trialAwsan Noman
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Lancet 375:2161-7. 2010..We ascertained whether high-dose allopurinol prolongs exercise capability in patients with chronic stable angina.
- N-acetylcysteine and allopurinol confer synergy in attenuating myocardial ischemia injury via restoring HIF-1α/HO-1 signaling in diabetic ratsXiaoWen Mao
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
PLoS ONE 8:e68949. 2013To determine whether or not the antioxidants N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and allopurinol (ALP) confer synergistic cardioprotection against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion (MI/R) injury by stabilizing hypoxia inducible factor 1α (HIF-1α)/..
- Allopurinol, quercetin and rutin ameliorate renal NLRP3 inflammasome activation and lipid accumulation in fructose-fed ratsQing Hua Hu
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
Biochem Pharmacol 84:113-25. 2012..The restoration of fructose-induced hyperuricemia and dyslipidemia by the treatment of allopurinol, quercetin and rutin blocked the NLRP3 inflammasome activation to improve the signaling impairments and reduce ..
- Allopurinol as a cardiovascular drugAnita Kelkar
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Cardiol Rev 19:265-71. 2011..Although traditionally the cornerstone therapy for gout, allopurinol's ability to be a competitive inhibitor of the key enzyme, xanthine oxidase, needed for uric acid formation, ..
- Quercetin and allopurinol ameliorate kidney injury in STZ-treated rats with regulation of renal NLRP3 inflammasome activation and lipid accumulationChuang Wang
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e38285. 2012..Although dietary flavonoid quercetin and allopurinol alleviate hyperuricemia, dyslipidmia and inflammation, their nephroprotective effects are currently unknown...
- Efficacy of combined therapy with liposome-encapsulated meglumine antimoniate and allopurinol in treatment of canine visceral leishmaniasisSydnei M da Silva
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:2858-67. 2012..In order to improve treatment with LMA, the present study aimed to evaluate its efficacy in combination with allopurinol. Mongrel dogs naturally infected with Leishmania infantum were treated with six doses of LMA (6...
- Allopurinol attenuates left ventricular dysfunction in rats with early stages of streptozotocin-induced diabetesXia Gao
Department of Endocrinology, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital Affiliated to Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 28:409-17. 2012..We hypothesized that xanthine oxidase-inhibitor allopurinol (ALP) may decrease hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress, ameliorate cardiomyocyte hypertrophy and fibrosis, ..
- Allopurinol, rutin, and quercetin attenuate hyperuricemia and renal dysfunction in rats induced by fructose intake: renal organic ion transporter involvementQing Hua Hu
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F1080-91. 2009..Lowering serum uric acid levels with allopurinol, rutin, and quercetin increased the urinary uric acid/creatinine ratio and FE(ur) and attenuated other fructose-..
- Allopurinol hypersensitivity syndrome: a preventable severe cutaneous adverse reaction?H Y Lee
Dermatology Unit, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608
Singapore Med J 49:384-7. 2008b>Allopurinol is a widely-prescribed urate-lowering agent. Allopurinol hypersensitivity syndrome, a severe form of cutaneous adverse reaction, is associated with significant mortality and morbidity...
- Allopurinol in rat chronic pancreatitis: effects on pancreatic stellate cell activationIlker Tasci
Department of Internal Medicine, Gulhane School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Pancreas 35:366-71. 2007..We here searched the in vivo effects of allopurinol on PSC activation and its relation to tissue oxidative stress and histological findings in rat CP.
- Serum uric acid as a new player in the development of diabetic nephropathyPeter Hovind
Department of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Glostrup Hospital, Nordre Ringvej 57, Glostrup, Denmark
J Ren Nutr 21:124-7. 2011....
- Effects of allopurinol on cardiac function and oxidant stress in chronic intermittent hypoxiaAntoinette L Williams
Department of Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, SC, USA
Sleep Breath 14:51-7. 2010Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with left ventricular (LV) dysfunction, oxidant stress, and chronic intermittent hypoxia (CIH). Allopurinol (ALLO) is a xanthine oxidase inhibitor that also scavenges free radicals.
- Meta-analysis of prophylactic allopurinol use in post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitisMinghua Zheng
Department of Infection and Liver Diseases, The First Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, China
Pancreas 37:247-53. 2008The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness and the safety of allopurinol in the prophylaxis of post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) pancreatitis.
- Apoptosis versus necrosis during cold storage and rewarming of human renal proximal tubular cellsA K Salahudeen
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216-4505, USA
Transplantation 72:798-804. 2001..Inclusion of antioxidants in the storage solution confers protection against both cold storage and rewarming-induced necrosis and apoptosis...
- Mechanism and prevention of cold storage-induced human renal tubular cell injuryA K Salahudeen
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Transplantation 70:1424-31. 2000..The objective was, therefore, to seek direct evidence for the free radical production during the cold storage of human renal tubular cells, and to define the roles of extrinsic and intrinsic antioxidants in cold-induced cell injury...
- Gout, allopurinol use, and heart failure outcomesGeorge Thanassoulis
Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Center, 687 Pine Ave W, Room A4 23, Montreal, QC H3A 1A1, Canada
Arch Intern Med 170:1358-64. 2010..A recent randomized trial suggested that allopurinol may reduce adverse outcomes among patients with hyperuricemia and HF...
- Real-time PCR in dogs treated for leishmaniasis with allopurinolM G Pennisi
Department of Veterinary Medical Science, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Messina, Polo Universitario dell Annunziata, 98168, Messina, Italy
Vet Res Commun 29:301-3. 2005
- Prevalence of contraindications and prescription of pharmacologic therapies for goutRobert T Keenan
Section of Rheumatology of the New York Harbor Health Care System, New York Campus of the US Department of Veterans Affairs, New York, USA
Am J Med 124:155-63. 2011..Patients with gout have comorbidities, but the impact of these comorbidities on treatment has not been studied...
- Mechanism of free radical production in exhaustive exercise in humans and rats; role of xanthine oxidase and protection by allopurinolJ Vina
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Valencia
IUBMB Life 49:539-44. 2000..caused an increase in blood xanthine oxidase activity in rats but also that inhibiting xanthine oxidase with allopurinol prevented exercise-induced oxidation of glutathione in both rats and in humans...
- Allopurinol improves endothelial dysfunction in chronic heart failureColin A J Farquharson
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Circulation 106:221-6. 2002..Xanthine oxidase produces oxidative stress and therefore we examined whether allopurinol improved endothelial dysfunction in chronic heart failure.
- Impact of allopurinol use on urate concentration and cardiovascular outcomeLi Wei
Medicines Monitoring Unit MEMO, Division of Medical Sciences, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Br J Clin Pharmacol 71:600-7. 2011To characterize patients with urate measurements by urate-lowering therapy (ULT) use and to study the impact of allopurinol treatment on cardiovascular and mortality outcomes.
- Suboptimal physician adherence to quality indicators for the management of gout and asymptomatic hyperuricaemia: results from the UK General Practice Research Database (GPRD)T R Mikuls
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, 510 20th Street South, FOT 8th Floor, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:1038-42. 2005To examine adherence to validated quality indicators assessing the quality of allopurinol use in the treatment of gout and asymptomatic hyperuricaemia.
- Treatment of chronic gout. Can we determine when urate stores are depleted enough to prevent attacks of gout?J Li-Yu
Department of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, USA
J Rheumatol 28:577-80. 2001..To determine if lowering of serum uric acid (SUA) concentrations below 6 mg/dl or longer duration of lowered SUA will result in depletion of urate crystals from the knee joints and prevent further attacks of gout...
- Therapeutic effects of xanthine oxidase inhibitors: renaissance half a century after the discovery of allopurinolPal Pacher
Laboratory of Physiological Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Aabuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, 5625 Fishers Lane MSC 9413, Room 2N 17, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 9413, USA
Pharmacol Rev 58:87-114. 2006The prototypical xanthine oxidase (XO) inhibitor allopurinol, has been the cornerstone of the clinical management of gout and conditions associated with hyperuricemia for several decades...
- Concordance of the management of chronic gout in a UK primary-care population with the EULAR gout recommendationsEdward Roddy
Academic Rheumatology, University of Nottingham, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1311-5. 2007..To assess concordance of the management of chronic gout in UK primary care with the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) gout recommendations...
- Uric acid lowering therapy: prescribing patterns in a large cohort of older adultsD H Solomon
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 1620 Tremont Street, Suite 3030, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 67:609-13. 2008..Uric acid lowering therapy (UALT) is considered a chronic treatment for gout. Relatively little is known about adherence to UALT...
- Determinants of the clinical outcomes of gout during the first year of urate-lowering therapyMichael A Becker
Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 27:585-91. 2008..The complex relationship between urate-lowering and clinical outcome early in treatment has implications for both clinical and investigative approaches to urate-lowering management...
- Oxidative stress in distant organs and the effects of allopurinol during experimental acute pancreatitisL Czako
First Department of Medicine, Albert Szent Gyorgyi Medical University, Attila Jozsef University, Szeged, Hungary
Int J Pancreatol 27:209-16. 2000..the role of oxygen-derived free radicals in the development of local and systemic manifestations of L-arginine (Arg)-induced acute pancreatitis and at an evaluation of the protective effect of the xanthine oxidase inhibitor allopurinol.
- Allopurinol attenuates L-NAME induced cardiomyopathy comparable to blockade of angiotensin receptorD A B Kasal
Laboratory of Morphometry and Cardiovascular Morphology, Biomedical Center, Institute of Biology, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Histol Histopathol 23:1241-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the contribution of xanthine oxidase (XO) to these phenomena using allopurinol, isolated or associated with olmesartan...
- Effects of the anti-ICAM-1 monoclonal antibody, allopurinol, and methylene blue on intestinal reperfusion injuryHuseyin Ilhan
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Osmangazi University, School of Medicine, Eskisehir, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 38:1591-5. 2003The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of allopurinol, methylene blue, and a monoclonal antibody to the adhesion molecule ICAM-1 in intestinal ischemia and reperfusion injury.
- Hypothermic storage of isolated human hepatocytes: a comparison between University of Wisconsin solution and a hypothermosol platformAlina Ostrowska
Wroclaw University of Environmental and Life Sciences, Wrocław, Poland
Arch Toxicol 83:493-502. 2009..Moreover, the use of HTS-FRS eliminates the need for serum in preservation solutions. HTS-FRS represents an improved solution compared to HTS-Base and UW for extending the shipping/storage time of human hepatocytes...
- Clinical Pharmacogenetics Implementation Consortium guidelines for human leukocyte antigen-B genotype and allopurinol dosingM S Hershfield
Department of Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 93:153-8. 2013b>Allopurinol is the most commonly used drug for the treatment of hyperuricemia and gout...
- Allopurinol and xanthine use different translocation mechanisms and trajectories in the fungal UapA transporterGeorge Diallinas
Faculty of Biology, Department of Botany, University of Athens, Panepistimioupolis, Athens 15784, Greece
Biochimie 95:1755-64. 2013..Here, genetic and physiological evidence is provided showing that allopurinol is a high-affinity, low-capacity, substrate for UapA...
- Effects of allopurinol on coronary microvascular and left ventricular function in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathyDogan Erdogan
Suleyman Demirel University, Faculty of Medicine, Cardiology Department, Isparta, Turkey
Can J Cardiol 28:721-7. 2012..The present study aimed to investigate the effect of allopurinol on left ventricular (LV) function and coronary microvascular integrity in patients with idiopathic dilated ..
- Experimental small bowel preservation using Polysol: a new alternative to University of Wisconsin solution, Celsior and histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solution?Lai Wei
House of Experimental Therapy, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 13:3684-91. 2007....
- Changes in uric acid levels and allopurinol use in chronic heart failure: association with improved survivalIsrael Gotsman
Heart Institute, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
J Card Fail 18:694-701. 2012..We evaluated the effect of UA and allopurinol use on clinical outcome in patients with HF.
- Sequential combined treatment with allopurinol and benznidazole in the chronic phase of Trypanosoma cruzi infection: a pilot studyD E Perez-Mazliah
Instituto Nacional de Parasitologia Dr Mario Fatala Chaben, Av Paseo Colon 568, Buenos Aires 1063, Argentina
J Antimicrob Chemother 68:424-37. 2013..Herein, a pilot study was conducted to evaluate the tolerance and side effects of a sequential combined treatment of two antiparasitic drugs, allopurinol and benznidazole, in the chronic phase of Trypanosoma cruzi infection.
- Does allopurinol prevent post endoscopic retrograde cholangio- pancreatography pancreatitis? A randomized double blind trialMohammad Abbasinazari
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Acta Med Iran 49:579-83. 2011..A number of pharmacological agents have been tried for prevention or alleviation of the complication. Allopurinol with free radical scavenger property has been considered as an effective prophylactic agent in some clinical ..
- Early treatment with allopurinol in familial juvenile hyerpuricaemic nephropathy (FJHN) ameliorates the long-term progression of renal diseaseL D Fairbanks
Purine Research Unit GKT, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
QJM 95:597-607. 2002The efficacy of allopurinol in autosomal dominant familial juvenile hyperuricaemic nephropathy (FJHN) has been disputed.
- Infectivity to Phlebotomus perniciosus of dogs naturally parasitized with Leishmania infantum after different treatmentsGuadalupe Miró
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Parasit Vectors 4:52. 2011..most dogs with clinical leishmaniosis are treated with leishmanicides, typically antimonials combined with allopurinol and good clinical recovery is observed in a high number of these dogs...
- Allopurinol hypersensitivity: a systematic review of all published cases, 1950-2012Sheena N Ramasamy
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, St Vincent s Hospital, 390 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW, 2010, Australia
Drug Saf 36:953-80. 2013b>Allopurinol is the primary therapy for the management of chronic gout. Utilization of allopurinol has increased in tandem with the growing prevalence of gout globally...
- Apocynin but not allopurinol prevents and reverses adrenocorticotropic hormone-induced hypertension in the ratYi Zhang
High Blood Pressure Research Unit, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory, Canberra, Australia
Am J Hypertens 18:910-6. 2005..Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)-induced hypertension in the rat is accompanied by increased oxidative stress. This study examines the enzymatic source of reactive oxygen species in ACTH-hypertension...
- Accelerated tissue aging and increased oxidative stress in broiler chickens fed allopurinolH Klandorf
Division of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, West Virginia University, 26506 6108, Morgantown, WV, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 129:93-104. 2001..Study 1 was designed to quantitatively manipulate the plasma concentrations of uric acid using hemin and allopurinol while study 2 determined their effects on skin pentosidine, the shear force value of Pectoralis major muscle, ..
- Using allopurinol above the dose based on creatinine clearance is effective and safe in patients with chronic gout, including those with renal impairmentLisa K Stamp
University of Otago, Christchurch, New Zealand
Arthritis Rheum 63:412-21. 2011To determine the efficacy and safety of increasing the allopurinol dose above the proposed creatinine clearance-based dose in patients with gout.
- Chronic kidney disease in gout in a managed care settingMahesh J Fuldeore
OptumInsight, Clinical Services, 22533 Jameson Drive, Calabasas, CA 91302, USA
BMC Nephrol 12:36. 2011To study the prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and its impact on allopurinol dosing and uric acid control among patients with gout.
- Allopurinol attenuates oxidative stress and cardiac fibrosis in angiotensin II-induced cardiac diastolic dysfunctionNan Jia
Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Institute of Hypertension, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Medical School, Shanghai, PR China
Cardiovasc Ther 30:117-23. 2012Oxidative stress and fibrosis is implicated in cardiac remodeling and failure. We tested whether allopurinol could decrease myocardial oxidative stress and attenuate cardiac fibrosis and left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in ..
- Role of urate, xanthine oxidase and the effects of allopurinol in vascular oxidative stressJacob George
Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Vasc Health Risk Manag 5:265-72. 2009..b>Allopurinol, a xanthine oxidase inhibitor, has been in clinical use for over 40 years in the treatment of chronic gout...
- Reduction of acute cisplatin ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity in rats by oral administration of allopurinol and ebselenEric D Lynch
Sound Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Research and Development, 4010 Stone Way N, Suite 120, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Hear Res 201:81-9. 2005..bolster the innate oxidative stress defenses of the cochlea, we tested individual and combined formulations of allopurinol, a xanthine oxidase inhibitor, and ebselen, a glutathione peroxidase mimic...
- Effect of the treatment with allopurinol on the endothelial function in patients with hyperuricemiaGabriela Meléndez-Ramírez
Department of Magnetic Resonance, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia, Ignacio Chavez, Mexico City, Mexico
Endocr Res 37:1-6. 2012..The role of uric acid (UA) on vascular damage is still controversial because previous studies have included patients with other risk factor for ED...
- A whole-genome association study of major determinants for allopurinol-related Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in Japanese patientsM Tohkin
Department of Medicinal Safety Science, National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Pharmacogenomics J 13:60-9. 2013..Genetic biomarkers for allopurinol-related SJS/TEN in Japanese were examined in a genome-wide association study in which Japanese patients (n=14) ..
- Trypanosoma brucei: expression of multiple purine transporters prevents the development of allopurinol resistanceManal J Natto
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Joseph Black Building, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
Exp Parasitol 109:80-6. 2005b>Allopurinol is a hypoxanthine analogue used to treat Leishmania infections that also displays activity against the related parasite Trypanosoma brucei...
- Cold induces catalytic iron release of cytochrome P-450 origin: a critical step in cold storage-induced renal injuryHong Huang
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Am J Transplant 2:631-9. 2002..In the clinical setting, sequestering free iron released during cold storage is possible and may prove to be useful in limiting organ injury...
- Oral allopurinol to prevent hyperamylasemia and acute pancreatitis after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographyHector Martinez-Torres
Department of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy, UMAE Hospital de Especialidades del Centro Medico Nacional de Occidente IMSS, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
World J Gastroenterol 15:1600-6. 2009To assess the efficacy of allopurinol to prevent hyperamylasemia and pancreatitis after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (PEP).
- Effects of allopurinol, a xanthine oxidase inhibitor, on renal injury in hypercholesterolemia-induced hypertensive ratsMayumi Minami
Department of Nephrology and Endocrinology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo Metropolitan Police Hospital, Tokyo, Japan mayuminami aol com
Blood Press 14:120-5. 2005..is involved in hypercholesterolemia-induced hypertension and renal injury, we examined the effects of allopurinol, a xanthine oxidase inhibitor, on these conditions...
- Inhibition of xanthine oxidase reduces oxidative stress and improves skeletal muscle function in response to electrically stimulated isometric contractions in aged miceMichael J Ryan
Laboratory of Muscle Biology and Sarcopenia, Division of Exercise Physiology, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 51:38-52. 2011..5mg/day) allopurinol pellet, 7 days before the start of in situ electrically stimulated isometric contractions...
- Allopurinol reduces neointimal hyperplasia in the carotid artery ligation model in spontaneously hypertensive ratsYasutaka Yamamoto
Division of Regenerative Medicine and Therapeutics, Department of Genetic Medicine and Regenerative Therapeutics, Tottori University Graduate School of Medical Science, Yonago, Japan
Hypertens Res 29:915-21. 2006..The aim of the current study was to investigate whether allopurinol, an inhibitor of xanthine oxidase activity, affects vascular remodeling and vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) ..
- Allopurinol-induced DRESS syndrome in an adolescent patientAshvin K Dewan
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Division of Emergency Medicine, Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 27:270-3. 2010..male patient, with a history of essential hypertension enrolled in an experimental drug protocol using allopurinol, presented to our emergency department with a 10-day history of fever...
- Adherence with urate-lowering therapies for the treatment of goutLeslie R Harrold
Department of Medicine, The Meyers Primary Care Institute, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 11:R46. 2009..Adherence to urate-lowering drugs (ULDs) has not been well evaluated among those with gout. Our aim was to assess the level and determinants of non-adherence with ULDs prescribed for gout...
- Allopurinol to prevent pancreatitis after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a randomized placebo-controlled trialJoseph Romagnuolo
Digestive Disease Center, Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, South Carolina 29425, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:465-71; quiz 371. 2008..Animal studies suggest that (single-dose) allopurinol (xanthine oxidase inhibitor with high oral bioavailability and long-lasting active metabolites) may reduce this ..
- Role of purine nucleoside phosphorylase in interactions between 2',3'-dideoxyinosine and allopurinol, ganciclovir, or tenofovirAdrian S Ray
Gilead Sciences, Inc, Foster City, California 94404, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:1089-95. 2004..level of systemic exposure to 2',3'-dideoxyinosine (ddI) is increased 40 to 300% when it is coadministered with allopurinol (Allo), ganciclovir (GCV), or tenofovir. However, the mechanism for these drug interactions remains undefined...
- Oral allopurinol does not prevent the frequency or the severity of post-ERCP pancreatitisPatrick Mosler
Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, 46202, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 62:245-50. 2005..The aim of this trial was to determine whether prophylactic allopurinol, an inhibitor of oxygen-derived free radical production, would reduce the frequency and severity of post-ERCP ..
- Accumulation of crystal deposits in abdominal organs following perfusion with defrosted University of Wisconsin solutionsStefan G Tullius
Department of Surgery, Charite Virchow Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 2:627-30. 2002..UW solutions can reach subzero temperatures under commonly used transportation conditions. Under these conditions, visible crystals accumulate and can be detected in abdominal organs of an experimental system...
- [Allopurinol-induced hypersensitivity syndrome resulting in death]Sören Laurisch
Klinik für Kardiologie und Angiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Med Klin (Munich) 105:262-6. 2010The present report describes the case of a 67-year-old patient who developed an allopurinol-induced hypersensitivity syndrome (AHS) with toxic epidermal necrolysis and subsequently died of septic multiorgan failure...
- Combination of thiopurines and allopurinol: adverse events and clinical benefit in IBDShail M Govani
University of Michigan, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Medicine, United States
J Crohns Colitis 4:444-9. 2010b>Allopurinol has been presented as a safe and effective adjunct to thiopurine therapy in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)...
- Follow-up of Leishmania infantum naturally infected dogs treated with allopurinol: immunofluorescence antibody test, ELISA and Western blotFrancis Vercammen
Veterinary Department, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Trop 84:175-81. 2002Fourteen dogs naturally infected with Leishmania infantum and treated with allopurinol were monitored clinically and serologically with immunofluorescent antibody test (IFAT, amastigotes and promastigotes), enzyme linked-immunosorbent-..
- Impact of pancreatic cold preservation on rat islet recovery and functionAntonello Pileggi
Cell Transplant Center, Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami Leonard M Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Transplantation 87:1442-50. 2009..Islet transplantation success depends on the number and quality of islets transplanted. This study aimed at exploring the molecular mechanisms associated with cold pancreas preservation and their impact on islet cell survival and function...
- Allopurinol improves cardiac dysfunction after ischemia-reperfusion via reduction of oxidative stress in isolated perfused rat heartsYoshiharu Kinugasa
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
Circ J 67:781-7. 2003It has been reported that the xanthine oxidase inhibitor, allopurinol, has a protective effect on ischemia - reperfusion injury, but the precise mechanism of its action is still unclear...
- Association between allopurinol and mortality in heart failure patients: a long-term follow-up studyL Wei
Medicines Monitoring Unit MEMO, Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Int J Clin Pract 63:1327-33. 2009The aim of the study was to explore the long-term effect of allopurinol on mortality and cardiovascular hospitalisations in heart failure (HF) patients.
- Positive and negative associations of HLA class I alleles with allopurinol-induced SCARs in KoreansHye Ryun Kang
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Pharmacogenet Genomics 21:303-7. 2011Recent investigations suggest genetic susceptibility of allopurinol-induced severe cutaneous adverse reactions (SCARs). However, the strength of association was variable according to phenotypes and ethnic backgrounds...
- Interferon-gamma (INF-gamma), IL4 expression levels and Leishmania DNA load as prognostic markers for monitoring response to treatment of leishmaniotic dogs with miltefosine and allopurinolLaura Manna
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche Veterinarie, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via F Delpino, N 1, 80137 Napoli, Italy
Cytokine 44:288-92. 2008..in the tissues of Leishmaniainfantum naturally infected dogs and the efficacy of treatment with miltefosine and allopurinol. To this purpose, we exploited a real-time PCR system to detect Leishmania load and the expression levels of ..
- Multicentric, controlled clinical study to evaluate effectiveness and safety of miltefosine and allopurinol for canine leishmaniosisGuadalupe Miró
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Vet Dermatol 20:397-404. 2009The aim of this trial was to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of miltefosine-allopurinol combination therapy vs. the current reference combination therapy, meglumine antimoniate-allopurinol, for canine leishmaniosis...
- Effects of allopurinol treatment on the progression of chronic nephritis in Canine leishmaniosis (Leishmania infantum)K Plevraki
Clinic of Companion Animal Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
J Vet Intern Med 20:228-33. 2006..dogs with canine leishmaniosis (CL) participated in this study, which was designed to investigate the effect of allopurinol on the progression of the renal lesions associated with this disease. The animals were allocated into 5 groups...
- Characterization of circulating lymphocyte subpopulations in canine leishmaniasis throughout treatment with antimonials and allopurinolSonia Miranda
Departament de Medicina i Cirurgia Animals, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
Vet Parasitol 144:251-60. 2007..with CL and submitted to conventional treatment with meglumine antimoniate (Glucantime) for 1 month and with allopurinol (Zyloric) for 1 year, in order to evaluate the usefulness of these parameters as indicators of the ..
- Study of efficacy of miltefosine and allopurinol in dogs with leishmaniosisLaura Manna
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche Veterinarie, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Napoli, Italy
Vet J 182:441-5. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of miltefosine and allopurinol for the control of human leishmaniosis using the dog as a model...
- HLA-B locus in Japanese patients with anti-epileptics and allopurinol-related Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysisNahoko Kaniwa
Division of Medicinal Safety Science, National Institute of Health Sciences, 1 18 11 Kamiyoga, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo
Pharmacogenomics 9:1617-22. 2008..Recently, strong associations of HLA-B*1502 and HLA-B*5801 with carbamazepine- and allopurinol-induced severe cutaneous adverse reactions were found in Han Chinese patients, respectively, but ethnic ..
- Human leukocyte antigens and drug hypersensitivityWen Hung Chung
Molecular Medicine Program of Taiwan International Graduate Program, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica and School of Life Sciences, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 7:317-23. 2007..The present article reviews the recent literature on the identification of human leukocyte antigen (HLA) alleles as major susceptible genes for drug hypersensitivity and discusses the clinical implications...
- Successful treatment of non-healing cases of cutaneous leishmaniasis, using a combination of meglumine antimoniate plus allopurinolAli Z Momeni
Aminjavaheri Medical Lab P O Box 1191, 81465 Isfahan, Iran
Eur J Dermatol 13:40-3. 2003..Recently strains resistant to these drugs have been reported. Allopurinol (AL) has also been suggested for treatment of CL...
- Thiazide diuretics exacerbate fructose-induced metabolic syndromeSirirat Reungjui
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Transplantation, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2724-31. 2007..Potassium supplementation improves their insulin resistance and hypertension, whereas allopurinol reduces serum levels of uric acid and ameliorates hypertension, hypertriglyceridemia, hyperglycemia, and ..
- Pharmacologic Interventions for Cardiovascular Disease in Obstructive Sleep ApneaBarbara J Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2013..application are: 1) Determine if treatment with losartan, an angiotensin type I receptor (AT1R) antagonist, or allopurinol, a XO inhibitor, normalize chemoreflex control of sympathetic outflow and ventilation and improve local ..
- A multicenter clinical trial of allopurinol to prevent GFR loss in T1DS MICHAEL MAUER; Fiscal Year: 2012..placebo- controlled, randomized clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of the urate-lowering drug allopurinol, as compared to placebo, in reducing kidney function loss among subjects with T1D...
- Design of a Multicenter Clinical Trial of Allopurinol to Prevent GFR Loss in T1DS MICHAEL MAUER; Fiscal Year: 2011..double- blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial evaluating the efficacy of the urate-lowering drug allopurinol, as compared to placebo, in reducing kidney function loss among subjects with T1D...
- PERL: A multicenter clinical trial of allopurinol to prevent GFR loss in T1DS MICHAEL MAUER; Fiscal Year: 2013..randomized clinical trial with the specific aim of evaluating the efficacy of the urate-lowering drug allopurinol, as compared to placebo, in reducing kidney function loss among subjects with T1D...
- Local Vasoconstriction in Postural Tachycardia SyndromeJulian M Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2013..measure Ang-II and Ang-(1-7) in the skin, and to examine the effects of NADPH oxidase/XO blockade with apocynin/allopurinol, and superoxide/H2O2 reduction with tempol/ebselen...
- MODifiable Effectors of Renin System Activation: Treatment EvaluationJohn P Forman; Fiscal Year: 2013..units/week of vitamin D supplementation to placebo for 8 weeks, or comparing uric acid lowering with either allopurinol 300 mg/day or probenecid 500 mg/day (both with a dose titration at 4 weeks to 600 mg/day or 1000 mg/day, ..
- XOR Regulation of Endothelial Cell Apoptosis in the Model of VALIBO SOO KIM; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have shown that pharmacologic inhibition of XOR with allopurinol abrogates HVT- induced increase in vascular leakage indicating that signaling through this pathway is necessary ..
- Uric Acid as a Mediator of Endothelial Dysfunction in Patients with CKDDiana I Jalal; Fiscal Year: 2013..patients with stage III CKD and serum uric acid levels acid >7mg/dL will be randomized to either placebo or allopurinol for 3 months. The specific aims of the proposal include: 1...
- Patient Centered Outcomes Research in RheumatologyDANIEL HAL SOLOMON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Strong epidemiologic data link hyperuricemia with CVD, but there have been no large studies examining whether treatments such as allopurinol, febuxostat, probenecid, or pegloticase may play a role in reducing CVD.
- New Plasmodium Strategies to Modulate InflammationAna Rodriguez; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, we observed that hypoxanthine was only active when it is degraded into uric. Addition of allopurinol, an inhibitor of hypoxanthine degradation, inhibited the production of cytokines induced by P...
- Investigation of the role of DAMP molecules in the pathogenesis of Liver InjuryBRITTANY V MURPHY; Fiscal Year: 2012..stimulation of KC will be determined using neutralizing anti-HMGB-1 and anti-HSP-70 antibodies, as well as allopurinol and uricase...
- Natural Substance Derivative DHNB is A Novel Xanthine Oxidase InhibitorChangyi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Current drugs targeting XO include Allopurinol and Febuxostat, which have many side effects...
- Centers of Research Translation (CoRT)Kenneth G Saag; Fiscal Year: 2013..inflammation (CRP), vascular disease (endothelial function), and blood pressure changes associated with the ULT allopurinol (Project 2);examine factors associated with suboptimal gout care and factors influencing effective and safer ..
- Data Coordinating Center for Pilot Studies of Candidate Therapies for CKDJennifer J Gassman; Fiscal Year: 2013..selected and finalized by the Steering Committee, the DCC would coordinate a 36-month pilot clinical trial of allopurinol vs placebo, with 12 months of randomization and a minimum of 24 months follow up per patient...
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ISCHEMIA-REPERFUSION LUNG INJURYAUBREY TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 1992..ischemia- reperfusion versus hypoxia-reoxygenation, determination of the effect of blocking xanthine oxidase (allopurinol, or a tungsten- enriched diet) and removing neutrophils from the perfusate...
- Xanthine oxidase inhibitor for congestive heart failureAlex Nivorozhkin; Fiscal Year: 2002..and many of the classic features of CHF, XO activity is 4-fold increased and the weak XO inhibitor allopurinol increases dP/dt(max), preload-recruitable stroke work, and ventricular elastance...
- OXIDATIVE STRESS IN SEIZURE INDUCED NEURONAL INJURYWOLF DIETRICH DETTBARN; Fiscal Year: 1999..and injury such as the endogenous vitamin E and glutathione, inhibitors of xanthine oxidase such as allopurinol, N-Methyl-D-Aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonists, and inhibitors of lipid peoxidation such as lazaroids, and (..
- Novel xanthine oxidase inhibitor for hemorrhagic shockPal Pacher; Fiscal Year: 2001..we have invented a novel ultrapotent XO inhibitor (entitled "AHPP-IV") that is three logs more potent than allopurinol and oxypurinol...
- Novel xanthine oxidase inhibitor for arthritisZsuzsanna Zsengeller; Fiscal Year: 2004..XO to the pathogenesis of arthritis is demonstrated in numerous rodent models of autoimmune arthritis in which allopurinol, a prototypic XO inhibitor, profoundly reduces joint injury...
- Treatment of Calcium Nephrolithiasis Sodium ThiosulfateJohn Asplin; Fiscal Year: 2006..proven effective in prospective placebo controlled trials, thiazide diuretics, potassium citrate salts, and allopurinol. Sodium thiosulfate is a generic drug that is considered to be safe for use in humans...
- PRESERVATION OF THE ISCHEMIC/REPERFUSED MYOCARDIUMMichael Hess; Fiscal Year: 1990..or inhibitors of free radical generation (indomethacin and ibuprofen for the cyclooxygenase system and allopurinol for the xanthine oxidase system) will protect myocardial hemodynamic, mechanical, sarcolemmal and sarcoplasmic ..
- MOLECULAR GENETIC STUDIES OF UREA CYCLE DISORDERSJANICE FINKELSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 1990..DNA haplotype analysis will then be used to assess the accuracy of allopurinol-induced orotidinuria in the detection of OTS deficiency-carrier females...
- ATP DEGRADATION SYSTEM IN ACUTE TISSUE INJURYCyril Grum; Fiscal Year: 1991..I will determine the degree of ATP degradation, the amount of H202 production and the effect of allopurinol administration of these mechanisms...
- HYPOTHERMIC CARDIAC ARREST AND PERINATAL BRAIN DAMAGEROBERT VANNUCCI; Fiscal Year: 1992..thiopental sodium), calcium channel blockers (flunarazne and/or nimodipin) and the xanthine oxidase inhibitor allopurinol. It is anticipated that these investigations will provide important insight into the physicochemical mechanism(..
- ETIOLOGY OF BLOOD DYSCRASIAS--ANALYSIS OF THE IAAAS DATADavid Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 1990..categories such as psychotropics, antihistamines, and cardiovascular drugs, and individual drugs such as allopurinol. Factors other than drugs will also be evaluated, including exposure to radiation and chemicals such as benzene ..
- Xanthine Oxidase, Myocardial Genomics and Heart FailureThomas Cappola; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Aim 3, the applicant will test the hypothesis that XO inhibition with allopurinol attenuates the expression of hypertrophy genes in serial endomyocardial biopsies, and prevents an increase in ..
- INBORN ERRORS OF A PURINE SALVAGE PATHWAYJay Tischfield; Fiscal Year: 2000..The therapeutic effects of allopurinol, hypoxanthine, and diet modifications will be evaluated...
- HEMODYNAMIC PROBLEMS IN ARRHYTHMIA SURGERYHENRY SPOTNITZ; Fiscal Year: 1990..The effects of EP testing on LV function will be studied and interventions, including hypothermia, allopurinol and nitrates, will be investigated in an effort to minimize injury...
- ALLOPURINOL MODIFICATION OF 5-FLUOROURACIL TOXICITYPAULINE SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 1980..uncovered a unique approach for increasing the therapeutic index of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) by combining it with allopurinol (HPP)...
- PURINE ANALOG METABOLISM IN AFRICAN TRYPANOSOMESRANDOLPH BERENS; Fiscal Year: 1990..Other analogs, such as allopurinol riboside and thiopurinol riboside, are much less effective against the former parasites when their ..
- HYPERTHERMIC LIVER INJURY AND LIPID PEROXIDATIONJOSEPH SKIBBA; Fiscal Year: 1991Hypothesis: Inhibition of xanthine oxidase by allopurinol, and chelation of available iron by desferrioxamine can substantially ameliorate the oxidative stress incurred during hyperthermic liver perfusion...
- IDENTIFYING TOR'S MODE OF ACTIONSiegfried Detke; Fiscal Year: 2002..Similar problems occur with the drugs used for the other Trypanosomes. The purine analogs allopurinol and allopurinol riboside, on the other hand, are toxic to these organisms but relatively benign to humans and ..
- Vascular responses in transgenic sickle cell miceBeatrice Gee; Fiscal Year: 2007..To examine the effects of xanthine oxidase, hydrogen peroxide, and allopurinol on in vitro sickle erythrocyte interactions with human brain microvascular cells (HBEC), and to characterize ..
- HEART ISCHEMIC DAMAGE: MODULATING OXYGEN METABOLITESMARSHAL SHLAFER; Fiscal Year: 1992..AIM 3 is to assess biochemical mechanisms by which allopurinol acts in hearts that are allegedly devoid of its target enzyme, xanthine oxidase, either to produce beneficial ..
- LENS PROTEINS & FLUORESCENCE: IN VIVO AND IN VITRO STUDYSIDNEY LERMAN; Fiscal Year: 1990..continuing our investigations on (UV) photosensitized damage as exemplified by our work on the Psoralens and Allopurinol. The biophysical (fluorescence) in vivo approach is being applied to such patients, and our in vitro ..
- REGULATION OF PURINE NUCLEOTIDE SYNTHESIS IN HUMANSMichael Becker; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- First Int'l Symposium on Childhood and Adolescent NHLMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Nonablative AlloSCT in Refractory Autoimmune DiseaseMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Polyamine Metabolism in LeishmaniaBuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 2008..donovani. We propose, therefore, to ascertain whether the disparity in the abilities of ?lmarg L. mexicana and ?ldodc L. donovani to infect mice can be ascribed to species or gene differences. ..
- Cyclooxygenase Pathway and Diabetic NeuropathyRodica Pop Busui; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Hypertonic Modulation of Inflammation following InjuryEileen M Bulger; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies will provide valuable information to determine the ultimate therapeutic use of the resuscitation strategy. ..
- MECHANISM-BASED DRUG SELECTION AND DESIGN: NUCLEOTIDE SABuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Concurrent experiments will determine how NTPase functions in AK HGXPRT-, and AT parasites, identify the protein(s) which regulate NTPase enzymatic activity, and evaluate the impact of abrogating NTPase expression on parasite viability. ..
- Diabetes and Drug-Associated Hyperkalemia: Effect of Laboratory MonitoringMarsha Raebel; Fiscal Year: 2008..The findings will also assist in developing a framework for future studies to evaluate the effects and costs of medication-laboratory monitoring among patients with diabetes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center CCOP*Dean Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2007..Affiliations with Minority Based CCOPs have been forged to enhance recruitment of underserved minorities. ..
- Cancer Prevention: Translation of Molecular RevolutionDean Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- PTHRP 1 to 173 IN CHONDROCYTESRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2005..Completion of these studies will indicate not only how PTHrP 1-173 can modulate OA, but also how functional properties of the PTHrP 1-173 C-terminal 140-173 domain can be harnessed to promote cartilage repair. ..
- Preclinical Development of PEG-TNFJOHN BOMALASKI; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data from these studies will provide the final information enabling the filing of an IND with the FDA to support human Phase I clinical testing. ..
- The Effect of Hypertonic Resuscitation for Blunt TraumaEileen Bulger; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Primary Prevention of Hypertension in Obese AdolescentsDaniel Feig; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the R21 feasibility phase, subjects age 11-18 with uric acid > 5.0mg/dl will be randomized to placebo, allopurinol or probenecid, for 2 months and screened for improvements in endothelial function (total nitrates, SVR, ..
- Preclinical Development of Uricase-PEG 20JOHN BOMALASKI; Fiscal Year: 2002..uricase-PEG 20 is formulated with polyethylene glycol (PEG), a technology known to reduce the antigenicity of heterologous proteins. ..
- Osteoporosis in Women with Rheumatoid ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..This epidemiologic data will inform future trials of osteoporosis treatments among patients with RA. As well, the study cohort will comprise one of the largest RA registries with an explicit plan to examine osteoporosis. ..
- R13 travel grant for Polyamine/parasite conference in Portland, ORBuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF PURINE METABOLISM IN LEISHMANIA DONOBuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 2007..if not essential, nutritional function[unreadable] for the parasite, and that initiates the metabolism of allopurinol, a drug[unreadable] that exhibits therapeutic efficacy in both leishmaniasis and Chagas[unreadable] disease...
- Role of SLc11a1 Gen in Warm Ischemia-Reperfusion InjurySamuel Wyllie; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will identify molecular mechanisms by which Slc11a1 modulates liver I/R injury, and will provide a novel target for therapeutic intervention in I/R-mediated organ injury. ..
- Uric Acid in Childhood HypertensionDaniel Feig; Fiscal Year: 2007..We propose to test whether the use of the xanthine oxidase inhibitor allopurinol, a uric acid lowering drug, will (1) ameliorate primary hypertension in children and (2) control hypertension ..
- Sixth Annual Meeting of the Internatioanl Society for the Prevention of Tobacco IParimal Chowdhury; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, this meeting will be a resource to decrease the huge sociological and economic burden the world faces regarding addiction to tobacco. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANK and Joint Ankylosis in SpondylitisRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will identify novel targets for enthesopathic bone fusion in spondyloarthritis. ..
- Translational Research in Cancer PreventionDean Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nitric Oxide/cGMP/Endotoxin-Induced Myocardial DysfunctFumito Ichinose; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Pain Medication Use & Risk Factors for Opioid DependenceDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our goal is to use the results of the proposed research to inform a future intervention to improve opioid prescribing within this large pharmacy benefits program. ..