Genomes and Genes
Summary: A synthetic 1,8-naphthyridine antimicrobial agent with a limited bacteriocidal spectrum. It is an inhibitor of the A subunit of bacterial DNA GYRASE.
Publications205 found, 100 shown here
- Comparison of the prevalence and changing resistance to nalidixic acid and ciprofloxacin of Shigella between Europe-America and Asia-Africa from 1998 to 2009Bing Gu
Department of Laboratory Medicine, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Guangzhou Road No 300, Nanjing 210029, China
Int J Antimicrob Agents 40:9-17. 2012..Statistical analyses were performed using STATA 10.0. In the area of Asia-Africa, resistance rates to nalidixic acid and ciprofloxacin were 33.6% [95% confidence interval (CI) 21.8-46.6%] and 5.0% (95% CI 2.8-7...
- Two distinct mutations in gyrA lead to ciprofloxacin and nalidixic acid resistance in Campylobacter coli and Campylobacter jejuni isolated from chickens and beef cattleT W Jesse
Bacterial Epidemiology and Antimicrobial Resistance Research Unit, U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Athens, GA 30605 2720, USA
J Appl Microbiol 100:682-8. 2006..point mutations in the gyrA quinolone resistance determining region (QRDR) of Campylobacter coli (n = 27) and Campylobacter jejuni (n = 26) that confer nalidixic acid (NAL) resistance without conferring resistance to ciprofloxacin (CIP).
- Suitable disk antimicrobial susceptibility breakpoints defining Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi isolates with reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolonesChristopher M Parry
The Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, 190 Ben Ham Tu, Quan 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:5201-8. 2010..We examined 816 isolates of S. Typhi from seven Asian countries. Screening for nalidixic acid resistance (MIC ≥ 16 μg/ml) identified isolates with an ofloxacin MIC of ≥0...
- Mutations in gyrA and parC genes in nalidixic acid-resistant Escherichia coli strains from food products, humans and animalsYolanda Sáenz
Área de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Universidad de La Rioja, Madre de Dios 51, 26006, Logrono, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:1001-5. 2003Mutations in quinolone targets were analysed in 80 unrelated nalidixic acid-resistant (NALR) Escherichia coli strains whose nalidixic acid and ciprofloxacin MICs ranged from 32 to >256 mg/L and 0.03-64 mg/L, respectively...
- Isolation and molecular characterization of nalidixic acid-resistant extraintestinal pathogenic Escherichia coli from retail chicken productsJames R Johnson
Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2161-8. 2003..Paul area (1999 to 2000) were screened for nalidixic acid (Nal)-resistant E. coli. Sixty-two (37%) products yielded Nal-resistant E. coli...
- Distribution and possible transmission of ampicillin- and nalidixic acid-resistant Escherichia coli within the broiler industryValeria Bortolaia
Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Vet Microbiol 142:379-86. 2010..coli resistant to ampicillin and nalidixic acid were frequently isolated, while resistance to ciprofloxacin was detected at a very low frequency, and ..
- Predictive efficacy of nalidixic acid resistance as a marker of fluoroquinolone resistance in Salmonella enterica var TyphiPallab Ray
Department of Medical Microbiology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Indian J Med Res 124:105-8. 2006..Typhi, not detectable by disc diffusion (DD) tests, may result in delayed response and serious complications. Nalidixic acid (NA) resistance has been used as an indirect evidence of increased ciprofloxacin MIC in S. Typhi...
- Antibacterial activity of methyl gallate isolated from Galla Rhois or carvacrol combined with nalidixic acid against nalidixic acid resistant bacteriaJang Gi Choi
Department of Oriental Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Wonkwang University, Wonkwang Oriental Medicines Research Institute, Jeonbuk, Korea
Molecules 14:1773-80. 2009..This study investigated the antibacterial activities of nalidixic acid in combination with methyl gallate and carvacrol against nalidixic acid resistant bacteria...
- The acquisition of full fluoroquinolone resistance in Salmonella Typhi by accumulation of point mutations in the topoisomerase targetsArthur K Turner
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:733-40. 2006..To determine the contribution to fluoroquinolone resistance of point mutations in the gyrA and parC genes of Salmonella Typhi...
- Typhoid fever: a massive, single-point source, multidrug-resistant outbreak in NepalMichael D Lewis
Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Infect Dis 40:554-61. 2005....
- In vitro efficacy of the combination of ciprofloxacin and cefotaxime against nalidixic acid-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype TyphiDong Min Kim
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Chosun University College of Medicine, Clinical Research Institute, Gwangju, South Korea
Int J Antimicrob Agents 36:155-8. 2010..The emergence and spread of nalidixic acid-resistant S...
- Sorption of acetaminophen, 17alpha-ethynyl estradiol, nalidixic acid, and norfloxacin to silica, alumina. and a hydrophobic mediumOranuj Lorphensri
National Research Center for Environmental and Hazardous Waste Management, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Water Res 40:1481-91. 2006..sorption of four pharmaceuticals, acetaminophen (analgesic), 17alpha-ethynyl estradiol (synthetic hormone), nalidixic acid (antibiotic), and norfloxacin (antibiotic), was evaluated with silica, alumina, and Porapak P (a hydrophobic ..
- Interaction of nalidixic acid and ciprofloxacin with wild type and mutated quinolone-resistance-determining region of DNA gyrase AJitendra Vashist
Department of Biochemistry, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Indian J Biochem Biophys 46:147-53. 2009..of GyrA with respect to quinolone binding, we have studied the interaction of mutated QRDR of GyrA with nalidixic acid and ciprofloxacin by molecular modeling using GLIDE v4...
- Nalidixic acid-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi presenting as a primary psoas abscess: case report and review of the literatureWilliam A Shakespeare
University of Utah School of Medicine, University of Hospitals and Clinics, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:996-8. 2005..The isolate tested susceptible to ciprofloxacin but resistant to nalidixic acid in vitro, a pattern associated with fluoroquinolone therapeutic failures...
- Nalidixic acid resistance in Salmonella strains with decreased susceptibility to ciprofloxacin isolated from humans in TurkeySerpil Ercis
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 59:117-9. 2006The aim of this study was to evaluate the value of nalidixic acid resistance as an indicator of decreased susceptibility to ciprofloxacin (MIC = 0.125 - 1 mg/L) in Salmonella isolates from humans (n = 620) in Turkey...
- Clinical outcomes in typhoid fever: adverse impact of infection with nalidixic acid-resistant Salmonella typhiTamilarasu Kadhiravan
Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
BMC Infect Dis 5:37. 2005..These strains are identifiable by their nalidixic acid-resistance. We studied the impact of infection with nalidixic acid-resistant S...
- The epsilon subunit of DNA polymerase III Is involved in the nalidixic acid-induced SOS response in Escherichia coliJennifer Reineke Pohlhaus
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Bacteriol 190:5239-47. 2008Quinolone antibacterial drugs such as nalidixic acid target DNA gyrase in Escherichia coli...
- Characterization of the quinolone resistance mechanism in foodborne Salmonella isolates with high nalidixic acid resistanceKoo Youn Kim
Food Safety and Evaluation Laboratory, Department of Food Bioscience and Technology, Korea University, Anam Dong 5 Ga, Seongbuk gu, Seoul 136 713, Republic of Korea
Int J Food Microbiol 146:52-6. 2011Sixteen Salmonella strains resistant to nalidixic acid isolated from kimbab, the most popular ready-to-eat (RTE) food in Korea, and chicken meat were selected for this study...
- Effect of nalidixic acid on the morphology and protein expression of Pseudomonas aeruginosaSaif Al Bahry
Department of Biology, College of Science, P O Box 36, P C 123, Sultan Qaboos University, Sultanate of Oman
Asian Pac J Trop Med 5:265-9. 2012To determine the effect of nalidixic acid on the morphology and protein expression of Pseudomonas aeruginosa (P. aeruginosa).
- Synthesis of novel nalidixic acid-based 1,3,4-thiadiazole and 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives as potent antibacterial agentsNisha Aggarwal
Division of Agricultural Chemicals, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa Campus, New Delhi 110 012, India
Chem Biol Drug Des 79:384-97. 2012Novel nalidixic acid-based 1,3,4-thia(oxa)diazoles, their thio ethers, sulfones, bis mercapto, and Mannich bases were synthesized and characterized by Infrared spectra, (1) H NMR, (13) C NMR, and elemental analysis...
- Schiff bases of indoline-2,3-dione (isatin) derivatives and nalidixic acid carbohydrazide, synthesis, antitubercular activity and pharmacophoric model buildingTarek Aboul-Fadl
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, P O Box 2457 Riyadh 14511, Saudi Arabia
Eur J Med Chem 45:4578-86. 2010..Accordingly, the current work involved design and synthesis of Schiff bases of nalidixic acid carbohydrazide and isatin derivatives (5,6a-f and 7,8a-c)...
- Emergence of nalidixic acid resistance in Shigella sonnei isolated from patients having acute diarrheal disease: report from eastern province of Saudi ArabiaBodh Raj Panhotra
Division of Microbiology, Postgraduate Department of Medicine, King Fahad Hospital and Tertiary Care Center, Al Hasa 31982, Saudi Arabia
Jpn J Infect Dis 57:116-8. 2004..Shigella sonnei phase 1 was the most prevalent (88/110, 80.0%) serotype. Resistance to nalidixic acid was not encountered from 1999-2002. Nalidixic acid resistance was observed in 6/13 (46.1%) of the S...
- Effect of an efflux pump inhibitor on the MIC of nalidixic acid for Acinetobacter baumannii and Stenotrophomonas maltophilia clinical isolatesAnna Ribera
J Antimicrob Chemother 49:697-8. 2002
- In vivo selection during ofloxacin therapy of Escherichia coli with combined topoisomerase mutations that confer high resistance to ofloxacin but susceptibility to nalidixic acidVincent Cattoir
Service de Bactériologie Virologie Hygiène, AP HP CHU, Henri Mondor Université Paris XII, 51 Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil Cedex, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:1054-7. 2006To investigate quinolone resistance mechanisms in an Escherichia coli clinical isolate (Ar2) resistant to ofloxacin but susceptible to nalidixic acid selected after 10 days of ofloxacin therapy in a patient with prostatitis.
- High level of resistance to nalidixic acid in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi in Central IndiaYashwant Kumar
National Salmonella and Escherichia Centre, Central Research Institute, Himachal Pradesh, India
J Infect Dev Ctries 3:467-9. 2009..b>Nalidixic acid resistance has been used as an indirect evidence of increased minimum inhibitory concentration for ..
- Treatment failure in a typhoid patient infected with nalidixic acid resistant S. enterica serovar Typhi with reduced susceptibility to ciprofloxacin: a case report from CameroonNjinkeng J Nkemngu
St John s Maternity and Hospital, Fiango, Kumba, Cameroon
BMC Infect Dis 5:49. 2005..Treatment failure with fluoroquinolones has been reported in Asia and Europe. We report a case of ciprofloxacin treatment failure in typhoid fever in Cameroon...
- Nalidixic acid susceptibility test to screen ciprofloxacin resistance in Salmonella typhiArti Kapil
Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Indian J Med Res 115:49-54. 2002..We explored the possibility of testing S. typhi strains for their susceptibility to nalidixic acid by disc diffusion method as a marker for high MIC to ciprofloxacin.
- Increasing prevalence of quinolone resistance in human nontyphoid Salmonella enterica isolates obtained in Spain from 1981 to 2003José M Marimón
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Donostia, Paseo Dr Beguiristain s n, 20014 San Sebastian, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3789-93. 2004From January 1981 to December 2003, susceptibility to nalidixic acid was tested in 10,504 nontyphoid Salmonella enterica isolates from patients with acute enteric disease in Gipuzkoa, Spain...
- Epidemiological study of resistance to nalidixic acid and other antibiotics in clinical Yersinia enterocolitica O:3 isolatesS Capilla
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Zaragoza, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 41:4876-8. 2003Forty-six Yersinia enterocolitica O:3 clinical isolates resistant to nalidixic acid were studied...
- Differential effects of temperature on natural transformation to erythromycin and nalidixic acid resistance in Campylobacter coliJoo Sung Kim
North Carolina State University, Department of Food Science, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:6121-5. 2008..coli to erythromycin and nalidixic acid resistance...
- Clonal dissemination of Yersinia enterocolitica strains with various susceptibilities to nalidixic acidJavier Sanchez-Cespedes
Servei de Microbiologia, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, IDIBAPS, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 41:1769-71. 2003Ten epidemiologically related Yersinia enterocolitica clinical isolates were studied. Six isolates were nalidixic acid resistant (MIC > 512 microg/ml), with mutations in the quinolone resistance-determining region (QRDR) of the gyrA gene, ..
- Reduced fluoroquinolone susceptibility in Salmonella enterica serotypes in travelers returning from Southeast AsiaA Hakanen
Antimicrobial Research Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, Turku, Finland
Emerg Infect Dis 7:996-1003. 2001..These isolates were tested for susceptibility by determining MICs to ciprofloxacin, nalidixic acid, and seven additional antimicrobial agents...
- Emerging quinolone-resistant Salmonella in the United StatesH Herikstad
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Gerogia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 3:371-2. 1997..States during this period was tested for resistance to 12 antimicrobial agents, including two quinolones, nalidixic acid, and ciprofloxacin. Emerging quinolone resistance was detected; of 4,008 isolates tested, 21 (0...
- The treatment of multidrug-resistant and nalidixic acid-resistant typhoid fever in Viet NamChristopher M Parry
Oxford University Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 98:413-22. 2004..and isolates with reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolones (indicated by resistance to nalidixic acid, NaR) have caused epidemics and become endemic in southern Viet Nam during the 1990s...
- Nalidixic acid-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi with decreased susceptibility to ciprofloxacin caused treatment failure: a report from BangladeshS M Zahurul Haque Asna
Department of Microbiology, Chittagong Medical College, Chittagong, Bangladesh
Jpn J Infect Dis 56:32-3. 2003
- Validity of nalidixic acid screening in fluoroquinolone-resistant typhoid salmonellaeTariq Butt
Department of Pathology, Combined Military Hospital, Peshawar, Pakistan
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 16:31-4. 2006To validate the screening of low-level fluoroquinolone resistance in typhoid salmonellae by using nalidixic acid (30 mg) disk providing an acceptable zone of inhibition.
- Synthesis and evaluation of new quinazolone derivatives of nalidixic acid as potential antibacterial and antifungal agentsGaurav Grover
Clinical Research and Medical Services, LG Life Sciences India Pvt Ltd, LG House, AB 3, Safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi 110069, India
Eur J Med Chem 41:256-62. 2006..on synthesis of biheterocycles carrying the biodynamic heterocyclic systems at position 3, a series of new nalidixic acid derivatives having quinazolones moiety were synthesised to achieve enhanced biological activity and wide ..
- Predictive value of nalidixic acid resistance for detecting salmonellae with decreased ciprofloxacin susceptibilityF Albayrak
Ankara University Medical Faculty Clinical Bacteriology and Infectious Diseases Department, Ilkadim Mahallesi Seçkin Sokak No 18 4, 06450 Dikmen, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Antimicrob Agents 23:332-6. 2004..when using the criteria of the National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards were studied for nalidixic acid (NA) resistance...
- Increase in nalidixic acid resistance among non-Typhi Salmonella enterica isolates in the United States from 1996 to 2003Jennifer E Stevenson
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mailstop D63, 1600 Clifton Rd, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:195-7. 2007..Fluoroquinolone treatment has failed for persons infected with nalidixic acid-resistant Salmonella...
- Genetic analysis of the requirements for SOS induction by nalidixic acid in Escherichia coliKathryn G Newmark
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Gene 356:69-76. 2005b>Nalidixic acid, the prototype antibacterial quinolone, induces the SOS response by a mechanism that requires the RecBCD nuclease/helicase...
- Emergence of nalidixic acid-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi resistant to ciprofloxacin in IndiaHayath Kownhar
J Med Microbiol 56:136-7. 2007
- Detection of decreased fluoroquinolone susceptibility in Salmonellas and validation of nalidixic acid screening testA Hakanen
Antimicrobial Research Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, Turku University, Turku, Finland
J Clin Microbiol 37:3572-7. 1999..according to the National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards guidelines for susceptibility to nalidixic acid and three fluoroquinolones...
- Randomized controlled comparison of ofloxacin, azithromycin, and an ofloxacin-azithromycin combination for treatment of multidrug-resistant and nalidixic acid-resistant typhoid feverChristopher M Parry
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:819-25. 2007..ampicillin, and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) and have reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolones (nalidixic acid resistant, Na(r)) are common in Asia...
- Lon protease is essential for paradoxical survival of Escherichia coli exposed to high concentrations of quinoloneMuhammad Malik
Public Health Research Institute, New Jersey Medical School, UMDNJ, 225 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:3103-5. 2009A deficiency of the Escherichia coli Lon protease blocked paradoxical survival occurring at very high nalidixic acid concentrations. The absence of Lon also blocked a parallel increase in cell lysate viscosity likely to reflect DNA size...
- Toxicity and SOS-response to ELF magnetic fields and nalidixic acid in E. coli cellsIgor Belyaev
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Cancer Research Institute, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Mutat Res 722:56-61. 2011..The genotoxic agent nalidixic acid (NAL) was used as a positive control and in combination with ELF-MF...
- Positive adaptive state: microarray evaluation of gene expression in Salmonella enterica Typhimurium exposed to nalidixic acidScot E Dowd
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Livestock Issues Research Unit, Lubbock, Texas 79403, USA
Foodborne Pathog Dis 4:187-200. 2007..6 microg/mL of nalidixic acid. The results showed a significant (P < 0.02) difference (fold expression differences >2...
- Is nalidixic acid resistance linked to clinical virulence in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi infections?Tamilarasu Kadhiravan
J Med Microbiol 57:1046-8. 2008
- Comparison of pivmecillinam and nalidixic acid in the treatment of acute shigellosis in childrenA N Alam
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Scand J Gastroenterol 29:313-7. 1994The efficacy of oral pivmecillinam was compared with nalidixic acid in the treatment of acute shigellosis in children 1-8 years of age...
- Ciprofloxacin resistance in non-typhoidal Salmonella serotypes in Scotland, 1993-2003A Murray
Scottish Salmonella Reference Laboratory, Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:110-4. 2005..To determine the levels of resistance to ciprofloxacin among non-typhoidal salmonellae in Scotland...
- Increasing incidence of resistance to nalidixic acid in shigellas from humans in England and Wales: implications for therapyT Cheasty
Health Protection Agency, Specialist and Reference Microbiology Division, Laboratory of Enteric Pathogens, London, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:1033-5. 2004..and Wales in 2002, 10% of subgroups A, B and C, and 13% of subgroup D (Shigella sonnei), were resistant to nalidixic acid. As a consequence, should antimicrobial therapy be indicated, the efficacy of nalidixic acid as the preferred ..
- Reevaluating fluoroquinolone breakpoints for Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi and for non-Typhi salmonellaeJohn A Crump
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Div of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, MS A 38, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:75-81. 2003..Recently, resistance to nalidixic acid has emerged among both Typhi and non-Typhi Salmonella serotypes...
- Nalidixic acid-resistant mutations of the gyrB gene of Escherichia coliJ Yamagishi
Mol Gen Genet 204:367-73. 1986DNA fragments of 3.4 kb containing the gyrB gene were cloned from Escherichia coli KL-16 and from spontaneous nalidixic acid-resistant mutants...
- Synthesis of nalidixic acid based hydrazones as novel pesticidesNisha Aggarwal
Department of Chemistry, University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007, India
J Agric Food Chem 58:3056-61. 2010Thirty-one substituted hydrazones of nalidixic acid hydrazide were synthesized and characterized by spectral techniques...
- Laboratory detection of Haemophilus influenzae with decreased susceptibility to nalidixic acid, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and moxifloxacin due to GyrA and ParC mutationsMaría Pérez-Vázquez
Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 42:1185-91. 2004..Collection reference strains of Haemophilus influenzae to ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, and nalidixic acid by the microdilution and disk diffusion methods. The ciprofloxacin MICs for 34 of the isolates were >/=0...
- Emergence of nalidixic acid-resistant Shigella sonnei in acute-diarrhea patients on Andaman and Nicobar Islands, IndiaAsit R Ghosh
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:1483. 2003
- Nalidixic acid-resistant strains of Salmonella showing decreased susceptibility to fluoroquinolones in the mid-west region of the Republic of IrelandRachel Gorman
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:1047-9. 2003
- Detection of ciprofloxacin resistance in Haemophilus influenzae using nalidixic acid and BSAC methodologyNigel P Brenwald
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:1311-2. 2003
- Molecular epidemiology of nalidixic acid-resistant campylobacter isolates from humans and poultry by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and flagellin gene analysisT L Wu
Department of Clinical Pathology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Epidemiol Infect 129:227-31. 2002..of human infections associated with quinolone-resistant campylobacters, 140 human and 75 poultry isolates of nalidixic acid-resistant campylobacters were collected between 1996 and 1998, and analysed by two molecular typing methods...
- New quinolone resistance phenomenon in Salmonella enterica: nalidixic acid-susceptible isolates with reduced fluoroquinolone susceptibilityAntti J Hakanen
Antimicrobial Research Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, P O Box 57, 20521 Turku, Finland
J Clin Microbiol 43:5775-8. 2005..These isolates are susceptible to nalidixic acid but exhibit reduced susceptibility to ciprofloxacin...
- A 2'-acylamido cap that increases the stability of oligonucleotide duplexesO P Kryatova
Departments of Chemistry, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts 02155, and University of Constance, D-78457 Konstanz, Germany
Org Lett 3:987-90. 2001..In the case of (5'-ACGCGU-NA-2')2, where NA denotes a nalidixic acid residue, the melting point increase is up to 22 degrees C over that of (ACGCGT)2.
- Suboptimal clinical response to ciprofloxacin in patients with enteric fever due to Salmonella spp. with reduced fluoroquinolone susceptibility: a case seriesRobert Slinger
Division of Infectious Disease, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 4:36. 2004..Delayed treatment response to fluoroquinolones has been noted, especially in cases of enteric fever due to such strains. We reviewed the ciprofloxacin susceptibility and clinical outcome of our recent enteric fever cases...
- In vitro activity of gemifloxacin against clinical isolates of Neisseria gonorrhoeae with and without mutations in the gyrA geneJoaquim Ruiz
Servei de Microbiologia, Institut Clinic d Infeccions i Immunologia, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:73-6. 2003..Only seven strains were resistant to nalidixic acid due to a mutation in the gyrA gene but not in the parC gene, with six and two considered intermediate to ..
- Prevalence of quinolone resistance mechanisms and associations to minimum inhibitory concentrations in quinolone-resistant Escherichia coli isolated from humans and swine in DenmarkLina Maria Cavaco
Research Group for Antimicrobial Resistance and Molecular Epidemiology, Department for Microbiology and Risk Assessment, National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen V, Denmark
Microb Drug Resist 14:163-9. 2008Prevalence of quinolone resistance mechanisms and associations to minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) of nalidixic acid (NAL) and ciprofloxacin (CIP) were investigated in 124 Escherichia coli isolated from humans (n=85) and swine (n=..
- Drug-resistant nontyphoidal Salmonella bacteremia, ThailandWanla Kulwichit
Emerg Infect Dis 13:501-2. 2007
- Emergence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance in Escherichia coli in EuropeHedi Mammeri
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital de Bicetre, 78 rue du General Leclerc, 94275 Le Kremlin Bicetre cedex, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:71-6. 2005..This is the first report of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance in Europe associated with an unknown level of plasmid-mediated multidrug resistance in Enterobacteriaceae...
- Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi with decreased susceptibility to ciprofloxacin--an emerging problem in BangladeshM Mushfequr Rahman
Int J Antimicrob Agents 25:345-6. 2005
- Ciprofloxacin treatment failure in a case of typhoid fever caused by Salmonella enterica serotype Paratyphi A with reduced susceptibility to ciprofloxacinTzonyo Dimitrov
Department of Medical Laboratories, Microbiology Section, Infectious Diseases Hospital, and Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat 13048, Kuwait
J Med Microbiol 56:277-9. 2007..The organism showed reduced susceptibility to ciprofloxacin (MIC 0.75 microg ml-1) and was resistant to nalidixic acid. The patient was then placed on intravenous ceftriaxone (1 g every 12 h) and responded within 3 days...
- Characterization of Salmonella spp. mutants with reduced fluoroquinolone susceptibility: importance of efflux pump mechanismsLaura Cebrian
S Microbiología, Hospital General Universitario de Elche, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Elche, Espana
Chemotherapy 51:40-3. 2005..We studied the importance of the efflux pump mechanisms in Salmonella spp. mutants with reduced fluoroquinolone susceptibility generated in vitro...
- Campylobacter coli isolates derived from chickens in Senegal: Diversity, genetic exchange with Campylobacter jejuni and quinolone resistanceAlfred Dieudonné Kinana
Laboratoire de Biologie Medicale, Institut Pasteur de Dakar, 36, avenue Pasteur, Dakar, Senegal
Res Microbiol 158:138-42. 2007..In addition, we assessed the resistance of the isolates to ciprofloxacin and nalidixic acid, and their gyrA sequences. MLST revealed a low level of diversity and the absence of lineages among C...
- Quinolone-resistant uropathogenic Escherichia coli strains from phylogenetic group B2 have fewer virulence factors than their susceptible counterpartsJuan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 43:2962-4. 2005The prevalence of 31 virulence factors was analyzed among nalidixic acid-susceptible and -resistant Escherichia coli strains from phylogenetic group B2...
- Mechanism of drug resistance in clonally related clinical isolates of Vibrio fluvialis isolated in Kolkata, IndiaVijaya Bharathi Srinivasan
Institute of Microbial Technology, Molecular Biology Division, Sector 39A, Chandigarh 160036, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2428-32. 2006..In the presence of carbonyl cyanide m-chlorophenylhydrazone or reserpine, all nalidixic acid- and ciprofloxacin-resistant strains became sensitive, suggesting that drug efflux plays a major role in ..
- Genetic diversity and quinolone resistance in Campylobacter jejuni isolates from poultry in SenegalAlfred Dieudonné Kinana
Laboratoire de Biologie Medicale, Institut Pasteur de Dakar, 36 Avenue Pasteur, Dakar, Senegal
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:3309-13. 2006..Based on silent mutations, different variants of the gyrA gene were shown to exist for the same ST. These data provide useful information for understanding the epidemiology of C. jejuni in Senegal...
- Complete nucleotide sequence of the gyrA gene of Helicobacter pullorum and identification of a point mutation leading to ciprofloxacin resistance in poultry isolatesFrédérique Pasquali
Department of Food Science, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, San Giacomo 9, 40127 Bologna, Italy
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:222-8. 2007To assess the molecular basis of nalidixic acid and ciprofloxacin resistance in Helicobacter pullorum, the gyrA gene of H. pullorum CIP 104787T was sequenced...
- qnrA in CTX-M-producing Escherichia coli isolates from FranceJean Philippe Lavigne
Laboratoire Universitaire d Antibiologie, UFR de Medecine, Avenue Kennedy, 30908 NIMES Cedex 02, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:4224-8. 2006..For the first time, 7.7% of CTX-M-producing E. coli isolates presented a plasmid-mediated resistance to quinolones. All strains harbored a qnrA gene located on a sul1-type class 1 integron with similar structure to the In36 integron...
- Genetic characterization and antibiotic resistance of Campylobacter spp. isolated from poultry and humans in SenegalE Cardinale
Programme Productions Animales, CIRAD EMVT, Campus International de Baillarguet, Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Appl Microbiol 100:209-17. 2006..The main objectives of this study were to investigate the diversity of Campylobacter genotypes circulating in Senegal and to determine the frequency of antibiotic resistance...
- Salmonella enterica serovar typhi: molecular analysis of strains with decreased susceptibility and resistant to ciprofloxacin in India from 2001-2003Malini R Capoor
Department of Microbiology, Vardhman Mahaveer Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
Braz J Infect Dis 11:423-5. 2007..Routine antimicrobial surveillance, coupled with molecular analysis of fluoroquinolone resistance, is crucial for revision of enteric fever therapeutics...
- Effect of anaerobic growth on quinolone lethality with Escherichia coliMuhammad Malik
Public Health Research Institute, 225 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:28-34. 2007..b>Nalidixic acid, norfloxacin, ciprofloxacin, and PD161144 were lethal for cultures growing aerobically, and the bacteriostatic ..
- Spontaneous conversion to quinolone and fluoroquinolone resistance among wild-type Escherichia coli isolates in relation to phylogenetic background and virulence genotypeJames R Johnson
Medical Service, VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:4739-44. 2005..20 Israeli cystitis isolates) were subjected to serial selective passaging to obtain derivatives resistant to nalidixic acid (NA) and ciprofloxacin (C)...
- Relation between induction of the mar operon and cyclohexane tolerance and reduction in fluoroquinolone susceptibility in Salmonella sppIsabel Escribano
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital General Universitario de Elche, Camí de l Almazara s n, 03203 Elche, Alicante, Spain
J Infect Chemother 12:177-80. 2006....
- Increasing incidence of quinolone resistance in human non-typhoid Salmonella enterica isolates in Korea and mechanisms involved in quinolone resistanceSang Ho Choi
Division of Infectious Diseases, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:1111-4. 2005We investigated the trends of nalidixic acid resistance in human non-typhoid Salmonella enterica in a Korean population, and examined some possible mechanisms involved in this resistance.
- Mutant prevention concentration of ciprofloxacin, enrofloxacin and nalidixic acid against Campylobacter jejuniFrédérique Pasquali
Int J Antimicrob Agents 31:500-2. 2008
- Emergence of Vibrio cholerae O1 Biotype El Tor serotype Inaba in north IndiaNeelam Taneja
Department of Medical Microbiology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Jpn J Infect Dis 58:238-40. 2005..All strains were resistant to nalidixic acid and trimethoprim, and showed moderate sensitivity to amoxycillin...
- Antimicrobial resistance patterns of Campylobacter from feedlot cattle*M D Englen
USDA ARS, Bacterial Epidemiology and Antimicrobial Resistance Research Unit, Richard B Russell Agricultural Research Center, Athens, GA 30605 2720, USA
J Appl Microbiol 99:285-91. 2005..This study examined 448 Campylobacter strains isolated in 1999 and 2000 from US feedlot cattle for resistance to 12 antimicrobials...
- Nalidixic acid-susceptible, ciprofloxacin-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae strain in the UKP L Ragunathan
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:437. 2005
- Antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of Salmonella enterica serotype typhi in eastern NepalBasudha Khanal
Department of Microbiology, B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
J Health Popul Nutr 25:82-7. 2007..23%) showed reduced susceptibility (MIC >0.25 mg/L). Of 112 strains tested for nalidixic acid susceptibility, 86 (76%) were resistant...
- Characterization of high-level fluoroquinolone resistance in Escherichia coli O78:K80 isolated from turkeysE Giraud
Station de Pathologie Aviaire et de Parasitologie, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Recherche de Tours-Nouzilly, 37380 Monnaie, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 47:341-3. 2001..This indicated that at least two independent selection events may have occurred...
- In vitro fluoroquinolone-resistant mutants of Salmonella enterica serotype Enteritidis: analysis of mechanisms involved in resistanceSara M Soto
Department of Functional Biology, University of Oviedo, Julian Claveria s n, 33006, Oviedo, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:537-40. 2003..Two nalidixic acid-resistant (minimal inhibitory concentrations, MIC>256 mg/l), ciprofloxacin-susceptible (MIC 0...
- [Mutations of gyrA in ciprofloxacin resistant Escherichia coli strains]B Erac
Dokuz Eylul Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Mikrobiyoloji ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Izmir
Mikrobiyol Bul 37:125-30. 2003..The strain in which only Ser 83 Leu mutation was observed, showed high level nalidixic acid resistance (MIC > 256 mg/L)...
- Patterns of mutations in target genes in septicemia isolates of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae with resistance or reduced susceptibility to ciprofloxacinF Fendukly
Clinical Microbiology MTC, Karolinska Institute and Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
APMIS 111:857-66. 2003..Such isolates were also resistant to nalidixic acid. Isolates with borderline susceptibility to ciprofloxacin, on the other hand, behaved differently in the two ..
- Characterisation of Salmonella spp. mutants produced by exposure to various fluoroquinolonesL Cebrian
Seccion de Microbiologia, Hospital General Universitario de Elche, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Camí de L Almazara, no 11, 03203 Elche Alicante, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:134-9. 2003We repeatedly exposed six Salmonella spp. strains of different serotypes (three susceptible to nalidixic acid and three resistant) to constant low concentrations of various fluoroquinolones with the aim of characterising the mutations ..
- Activity of faropenem and imipenem for ciprofloxacin-resistant bacteriaLaura J V Piddock
Antimicrobial Agents Research Group, Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:500-2. 2003..To determine whether an association exists between ciprofloxacin and faropenem resistance in bacteria including multiply drug-resistant isolates...
- Determination of ciprofloxacin and nalidixic acid resistance in Campylobacter jejuni with a fluorogenic polymerase chain reaction assayPawin Padungtod
Population Medicine Center, A109 Veterinary Clinical Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 1314, USA
J Food Prot 66:319-23. 2003..jejuni to ciprofloxacin and nalidixic acid. Sixty of the 84 C. jejuni isolates tested carried the Thr-86 mutation in the gyrA gene...
- Bacterial resistance to quinolone antibiotics in PolandZ Roliński
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Agricultural University, Lublin, Poland
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 49:160-2. 2002..The highest resistance of Escherichia coli was found to be against nalidixic acid (NA), 49.1% and flumequine (FLU), 38.2%. The sensitivity of the strains were: ciprofloxacin (CIP; 81...
- In vivo selection of Campylobacter isolates with high levels of fluoroquinolone resistance associated with gyrA mutations and the function of the CmeABC efflux pumpNaidan Luo
Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, The Ohio State University, Wooster, Ohio 44691, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:390-4. 2003..These results reveal that Campylobacter is hypermutable in vivo under the selection pressure of FQ and highlight the need for the prudent use of FQ antibiotics...
- Resistance to quinolones in Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli from Danish broilers at farm levelK Pedersen
Danish Veterinary Institute, Department of Poultry, Fish and Fur Animals, Aarhus, Denmark
J Appl Microbiol 94:111-9. 2003..To investigate the prevalence of quinolone resistance among Campylobacter jejuni and Camp. coli isolates from Danish poultry at the farm level, as well as for the whole country...
- High prevalence of nalidixic acid resistant, ciprofloxacin susceptible phenotype among clinical isolates of Escherichia coli and other EnterobacteriaceaeJoaquim Ruiz
Departament de Microbiologia, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 42:257-61. 2002..In this study the prevalence of the nalidixic acid resistant, ciprofloxacin susceptible phenotype among Enterobacteriaceae was analyzed...
- Comparison of gyrA mutations, cyclohexane resistance, and the presence of class I integrons in Salmonella enterica from farm animals in England and WalesErnesto Liebana
Department of Bacterial Diseases, Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK
J Clin Microbiol 40:1481-6. 2002..The isolates were selected on the basis of resistance to nalidixic acid, representing a variety of the most prevalent serotypes in England and Wales...
- Single or double mutational alterations of gyrA associated with fluoroquinolone resistance in Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coliR Bachoual
, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Henri Mondor, , France
Microb Drug Resist 7:257-61. 2001..Three of the five isolates of C. jejuni and the two isolates of C. coli had high-level resistance to nalidixic acid (MICs 128-256 microg/ml) and ciprofloxacin (MICs 32 microg/ml)...
- Quinolone resistance in potentially pathogenic and non-pathogenic Escherichia coli strains isolated from healthy ruminantsJ A Orden
, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:421-4. 2001..In cattle, 5.9% of the strains were resistant to nalidixic acid and 4.9% were resistant to enrofloxacin and ciprofloxacin, whereas in sheep and goats only 0.5% and 1...
- Epidemiology of nalidixic acid resistance and TEM-1- and TEM-52-mediated ampicillin resistance of Shigella sonnei isolates obtained in Korea between 1980 and 2000Young Sook Jeong
Department of Microbiology, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine, Taegu 700 422, Korea
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:3719-23. 2003The resistance to ampicillin and nalidixic acid in Shigella sonnei isolates obtained in Korea during the period 1998 to 2000 was characterized. Recently (J. Y. Oh, H. S. Yu, S. K. Kim, S. Y. Seol, D. T. Cho, and J. C. Lee, J. Clin...
- Analysis of the gyrA gene of clinical Yersinia ruckeri isolates with reduced susceptibility to quinolonesAlicia Gibello
Departamento Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:599-602. 2004..formed a separate cluster with lower levels of susceptibility to all the quinolones tested, especially nalidixic acid (NA) and oxolinic acid (OA), compared with the isolates recovered between 1994 and 1998...
- Microporidiosis in AIDSELIZABETH DIDIER; Fiscal Year: 2004..This model will provide a better understanding of how the immune response functions to control microsporidia that replicate in different sites within a host cell. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Community-Associated MRSASANJAY SHUKLA; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will determine the presence or absence of 40 different virulence factor genes in all 320 isolates listed in aim 2 and determine evolution of virulence factor genes in contemporary CA-MRSA. ..
- IN VIVO PATHOGENESIS OF HELICOBACTER PYLORIJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2009..pylori pathogenesis and specifically evaluate the role of regulatory T cells in limiting H. pylori-induced gastric pathology. ..
- HUS Pathogenesis & clinical Outcome in an in vivo modelJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will use this model to study the pathogenesis of HUS and importantly to develop therapeutic regimens to prevent and treat EHEC disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Helicobacter induced hepatitis and tumorigenesisJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2009..A more complete understanding of the etiopathogenesis of hepatobiliary disease and hepatocellular carcinoma is likely to result in new strategies for treatment and prevention of these important human diseases. ..
- DEVELOPING AND IMPROVING INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCESJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Microecology-murine gut-initiation & progression of IBDJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2005..prior and subsequent to oral vaccination with Helicobacter spp. antigens and mucosal adjuvants, elucidate how these vaccine strategies influence microflora dynamics and impact gut cytokine responses. ..
- Pathogenesis of a novel Hantavirus from laboratory ratsJOE SIMMONS; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Resistant E.coli in Humans and PoultryJames Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Does the research address a current and compelling problem of antimicrobial resistance that is of high public health importance and for which research is needed? [yes]. ..