Genomes and Genes
benzathine penicillin g
Summary: Semisynthetic antibiotic prepared by combining the sodium salt of penicillin G with N,N'-dibenzylethylenediamine.
Publications255 found, 100 shown here
- Syphilis in pregnancy in Tanzania. II. The effectiveness of antenatal syphilis screening and single-dose benzathine penicillin treatment for the prevention of adverse pregnancy outcomesDeborah Watson-Jones
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 186:948-57. 2002..4-1.4) or low-titer active syphilis (OR, 0.95; 95% CI, 0.6-1.5), compared with seronegative women. Single-dose treatment is effective in preventing adverse pregnancy outcomes attributable to maternal syphilis...
- A phase III equivalence trial of azithromycin versus benzathine penicillin for treatment of early syphilisEdward W Hook
University of Alabama at Birmingham and Jefferson County Department of Health, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1729-35. 2010..Because of hesitation to use penicillin for fear of anaphylaxis, there is a need for an effective, well-tolerated alternative to penicillin for syphilis therapy...
- Maternal and congenital syphilis in Shanghai, China, 2002 to 2006Liping Zhu
Shanghai First Maternity and Infant Hospital Tongji University, Shanghai Women s Health Institute, Shanghai, China
Int J Infect Dis 14:e45-8. 2010..To assess the trends and determinants of maternal and congenital syphilis in Shanghai, China...
- A randomized, comparative pilot study of azithromycin versus benzathine penicillin G for treatment of early syphilisEdward W Hook
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine and Jefferson County Department of Health, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0007, USA
Sex Transm Dis 29:486-90. 2002..Penicillin is the only medication currently recommended for treatment of early syphilis in non-penicillin-allergic patients. Preliminary data suggest that azithromycin may be effective for syphilis therapy...
- Efficacy of treatment for syphilis in pregnancyJ M Alexander
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9032, USA
Obstet Gynecol 93:5-8. 1999..To evaluate prospectively the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended regimens for the treatment of antepartum syphilis and prevention of congenital syphilis...
- Lives Saved Tool supplement detection and treatment of syphilis in pregnancy to reduce syphilis related stillbirths and neonatal mortalityHannah Blencowe
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
BMC Public Health 11:S9. 2011..Globally syphilis is an important yet preventable cause of stillbirth, neonatal mortality and morbidity...
- Antenatal syphilis screening in sub-Saharan Africa: lessons learned from TanzaniaDeborah Watson-Jones
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 10:934-43. 2005....
- Challenging perceptions of non-compliance with rheumatic fever prophylaxis in a remote Aboriginal communityZinta Harrington
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT, Australia
Med J Aust 184:514-7. 2006..To identify factors that affect rheumatic fever prophylaxis for remote-living Aboriginal patients, and to determine the proportion who received adequate prophylaxis...
- Assessment of a register-based rheumatic heart disease secondary prevention program in an Australian Aboriginal communitySabry Eissa
Royal Free and University College London Medical School, University College London, United Kingdom
Aust N Z J Public Health 29:521-5. 2005....
- Acute rheumatic fever: adherence to secondary prophylaxis and follow up of Indigenous patients in the Katherine region of the Northern TerritoryTanya Stewart
Katherine District Hospital, Katherine, NT, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 15:234-40. 2007..We aimed to assess the rate of adherence with penicillin prophylaxis and follow-up guidelines in patients with previous ARF and the effect of factors such as age, sex, disease severity and clinic attendance...
- Treatment of syphilis in pregnancy and prevention of congenital syphilisGeorge D Wendel
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75390 9032, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:S200-9. 2002..They lacked uniformity in diagnostic criteria and study design. Currently recommended doses of benzathine penicillin G are effective in preventing congenital syphilis in most settings, although studies are needed regarding ..
- Syphilis management in St. Petersburg, Russia: 1995-2001Andrew Yakubovsky
Department of Dermatology and Venereal Diseases, Pavlov State Medical University, St Petersburg, Russia
Sex Transm Dis 33:244-9. 2006..The objectives of this study were to describe the recent syphilis epidemic in St. Petersburg, Russia; and to document the syphilis management practices in Russia to help inform the best way forward for a system in transition...
- One-stop service for antenatal syphilis screening and prevention of congenital syphilis in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: a cluster randomized trialBayalag Munkhuu
Department of Human Reproduction and Medical Genetics, State Research Center on Maternal and Child Health, Bayangol District, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Sex Transm Dis 36:714-20. 2009..This cluster randomized trial was performed to test whether one-stop service could better prevent congenital syphilis than the conventional antenatal screening service in Mongolia...
- Syphilis in pregnancyMeghan O'Connor
Yale University, School of Nursing, PO Box 9740, New Haven, CT 06536 0740, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 53:e17-21. 2008
- Single-dose azithromycin versus penicillin G benzathine for the treatment of early syphilisGabriele Riedner
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London
N Engl J Med 353:1236-44. 2005..4-MU intramuscular dose of penicillin G benzathine in the prevention and treatment of syphilis. We evaluated the efficacy of treatment with azithromycin in a developing country...
- Symptomatic relapse of neurologic syphilis after benzathine penicillin G therapy for primary or secondary syphilis in HIV-infected patientsT Walter
Department of Hepatogastroenterology, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Hotel Dieu Hospital, Lyon, France
Clin Infect Dis 43:787-90. 2006..Because HIV infection may alter the natural history and response of neurologic syphilis to treatment, scrupulous follow-up and repeated cycles of therapy are warranted...
- Treatment of maternal syphilis in rural South Africa: effect of multiple doses of benzathine penicillin on pregnancy lossLandon Myer
School of Public Health and Family Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Trop Med Int Health 9:1216-21. 2004..We examined the effect of various doses of benzathine penicillin on pregnancy loss among women with a positive Rapid Plasma Reagin (RPR) test result in a rural South African district...
- Treatment for syphilis in antenatal care: compliance with the three dose standard treatment regimenS Mullick
Population Council, Frontiers in Reproductive Health, Hyde Park Lane Manor, EG001 Edinburgh Gate, Hyde Park, Box 411744, Craighall 2024, Johannesburg, South Africa
Sex Transm Infect 81:220-2. 2005..4 MU at weekly intervals are recommended for treating syphilis in pregnancy. Limited information is available on compliance with the recommended regimen, in terms of time to starting treatment, number of doses, and timing of treatment...
- Failure of penicillin treatment of yaws on Karkar Island, Papua New GuineaJ L Backhouse
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 59:388-92. 1998..Treatment failure was most likely to have been due to reduced susceptibility to penicillin of Treponema pallidum subsp. pertenue...
- Lidocaine as a diluent for administration of benzathine penicillin GJ Amir
Department of Pediatrics C, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tikva
Pediatr Infect Dis J 17:890-3. 1998b>Benzathine penicillin G is recommended for secondary prophylaxis of rheumatic fever. Its main disadvantage is local pain and discomfort associated with the injection. Lidocaine as a diluent may reduce this discomfort...
- The Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction and fetal monitoring changes in pregnant women treated for syphilisT D Myles
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Obstet Gynecol 92:859-64. 1998..To estimate the incidence of the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction in pregnant women undergoing treatment of syphilis and the incidence of changes in uterine activity or fetal heart rate (FHR)...
- Colloidal carriers for benzathine penicillin G: nanoemulsions and nanocapsulesN S Santos-Magalhães
Laboratório de Tecnologia Químico Farmacêutica LTQF, Departamento de Farmacia, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Av Prof Artur Sá, S N, Cidade Universitaria, 50740 520, PE, Recife, Brazil
Int J Pharm 208:71-80. 2000The main purpose of this work is to formulate benzathine penicillin G nanoemulsion and nanocapsules, to evaluate their physicochemical and stabilising characteristics, and to determine their antimicrobial activity and penicillin in vitro ..
- Unexplained reduced microbiological efficacy of intramuscular benzathine penicillin G and of oral penicillin V in eradication of group a streptococci from children with acute pharyngitisE L Kaplan
Department of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Reference and Research on Streptococci, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Pediatrics 108:1180-6. 2001To evaluate the efficacy of oral penicillin V and intramuscular benzathine penicillin G (BPG) in eradicating group A streptococci from the upper respiratory tract.
- [A painful swelling of the tongue]X H de Vries
Uit de afdeling Keel Neusen Oorheelkunde en Hoofd Halschirurgie van het VU Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 112:65-7. 2005..The patient was treated with benzathine benzylpenicillin and his complaints disappeared. In view of the increasing incidence of this disease remains an important consideration in case of ulcerative or other lesions in the oral cavity...
- Mucous patches and arthralgiaVijay Zawar
Department of Dermatology, NDMVPS Medical College and Research Centre, Nashik 422002, Maharashtra State, India
J R Soc Med 97:79-80. 2004
- [Therapy of syphilis]M Hartmann
Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Heidelberg
Hautarzt 55:215-6. 2004
- Secondary syphilis clinically mimicking pseudolymphoma of the faceArfan ul Bari
Combined Military Hospital Muzaffarabad, Pakistan
Dermatol Online J 12:20. 2006..She also had alopecia of eyebrows. Both the alopecia as well as nodular lesions clinically resembling pseudolymphoma responded to and completely recovered with antisyphilitic treatment...
- The rash of secondary syphilisJoseph Dylewski
Department of Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 176:33-5. 2007
- [Malignant syphilis in patient with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV): case report and literature review]M J Romero-Jiménez
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas de Medicina Interna Hospital Infanta Elena, Huelva, Spain
An Med Interna 20:373-6. 2003..The first choice of treatment is penicillin and in case of penicillin allergy, a third generation cefalosporine should be used...
- Syphilitic cervical lymphadenopathyJ Sato
Department of Otolaryngology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, S 1W 16 Chuo ku, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 260:283-5. 2003..Syphilis should still be a factor for consideration in the differential diagnosis of cervical lymphadenopathy...
- Intramuscular versus intravenous administration of benzathine penicillinHenry F Chambers
Clin Infect Dis 44:151; author reply 151-2. 2007
- Syphilitic retinitis with focal inflammatory accumulationsShantan Reddy
Department of Ophthalmology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 37:429-31. 2006..The patient appeared to have developed an exaggerated response to the ocular syphilitic infection that may be related to the augmentation of his impaired immune system by highly active antiretroviral therapy...
- Congenital syphilis in the 21st centuryJ Christopher Carey
Maricopa Medical Center, Second Floor Administration, 2601 E Roosevelt Street, Phoenix, AZ 85009, USA
Curr Womens Health Rep 3:299-302. 2003..Maternal serum screening is the mainstay of diagnosis. Maternal treatment will prevent most, but not all, cases of congenital syphilis. Access to prenatal care is critical to further reduce the rate of congenital syphilis...
- Tabetic arthropathy. A report of 43 casesFadoua Allali
Rheumatology Department, El Ayachi Hospital, Rabat Sale University, Rabat, Morocco
Clin Rheumatol 25:858-60. 2006..Radiological exam showed atrophic and hypertrophic forms. The frequency and severity of TA in our study may be explained by the frequency of atypical forms of syphilitis and the absence of penicillin in Morocco in the 1950s...
- Azithromycin versus penicillin G benzathine for early syphilisKing K Holmes
N Engl J Med 353:1291-3. 2005
- [Plaques opalines: a rare form of secondary syphilis of the oral mucous membrane]A Stepanova
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Dermatologie und Venerologie, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale
Hautarzt 57:514-7. 2006....
- [The unusual wandering of lues. Did the patient infect himself by tongue kissing?]Barbara Lindner-Löwer
MMW Fortschr Med 147:15. 2005
- With this eruption, there is not a second to luesSteven D Burdette
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45428, USA
Skinmed 4:179-82. 2005..The patient was diagnosed as having secondary syphilis and treated with 2.4 million units of IM benzathine penicillin for 3 weeks. His eruption resolved after the initial treatment and he did not experience a Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction...
- Evaluation of syphilis in patients with HIV infection in NigeriaE N Nnoruka
Department of Dermatology, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
Trop Med Int Health 10:58-64. 2005..To document the manifestations of syphilis among patients with concurrent HIV infection over a 12-month period...
- Pustulocrustaceous secondary syphilisKamal Aggarwal
Acta Derm Venereol 85:378-9. 2005
- Effectiveness of syphilis treatment using azithromycin and/or benzathine penicillin in Rakai, UgandaMohammed G Kiddugavu
Rakai Health Science Program, Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe, Uganda
Sex Transm Dis 32:1-6. 2005..The goal of this study was to assess azithromycin and/or benzathine penicillin for treatment of syphilis...
- Macrolide resistance in Treponema pallidum in the United States and IrelandSheila A Lukehart
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
N Engl J Med 351:154-8. 2004
- Syphilis control--a continuing challengeEdward W Hook
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
N Engl J Med 351:122-4. 2004
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 39-2005. A 63-year-old woman with a positive serologic test for syphilis and persistent eosinophiliaEdward T Ryan
Tropical and Geographic Medicine Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
N Engl J Med 353:2697-705. 2005
- Azithromycin versus penicillin for early syphilisRicardo F Savaris
N Engl J Med 354:203-5; author reply 203-5. 2006
- Doxycycline compared with benzathine penicillin for the treatment of early syphilisKhalil G Ghanem
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:e45-9. 2006..We compared the serological responses of patients with early syphilis treated with doxycycline with the responses of patients treated with benzathine penicillin G (BPG).
- Western blotting as the confirmatory test for syphilis in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosusErika Gaines Levine
Arch Dermatol 140:490-1. 2004
- Relapse of secondary syphilis after benzathine penicillin G: molecular analysisMichael Myint
Department of Medicine Infectious Diseases, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Sex Transm Dis 31:196-9. 2004..It is difficult to distinguish between relapse and reinfection in patients who develop a second episode of syphilis after treatment...
- [Current syphilis therapies and serological control. Commentary on the article by M. Hartmann in Hautarzt, Volume 2 (2004)]H Heise
Klinik und Poliklinik für Dermatologie und Venerologie der Universität Rostock
Hautarzt 55:1087-9. 2004..Treatment with doxycyline or ceftriaxone is also conceivable. Suitable serological methods are necessary to control the safety of the therapy...
- Efficacy of intramuscular penicillin in the eradication of group B streptococcal colonization at deliveryMichael G Pinette
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine 04102, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 17:333-5. 2005..We sought to determine if long acting intramuscular penicillin given after a positive culture result would be efficacious in eradicating group B streptococcal colonization at the time of delivery...
- Picture of the month. Acquired secondary syphilisMarta Ferran
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161:199-200. 2007
- Congenital syphilis after maternal treatment for syphilis during pregnancyJeanne S Sheffield
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9032, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 186:569-73. 2002..The purpose of this study was to characterize pregnancies that were complicated by maternal syphilis that had been treated before delivery in which the newborn infant was diagnosed with congenital syphilis...
- Tertiary syphilisTeresa M Pereira
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Hospital de São Marcos, Braga, Portugal
Int J Dermatol 46:1192-5. 2007
- Primary syphilis: serological treatment response to doxycycline/tetracycline versus benzathine penicillinTom Wong
Centre for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Med 121:903-8. 2008b>Benzathine penicillin G is the treatment of choice for infectious syphilis, but tetracycline and doxycycline are believed to be effective second-line treatments...
- Syphilis in the United States: an update for clinicians with an emphasis on HIV coinfectionNicola M Zetola
STD Prevention and Control Services, San Francisco Department of Public Health, 1360 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 82:1091-102. 2007..Of particular consequence is the effect of human immunodeficiency virus on the clinical diagnosis, prevalence, and course of neurosyphilis, one of the most serious consequences of syphilis infection...
- Early syphilis: a cause of mono-arthritis of the kneeJ Aderinto
Department of Orthopaedic Trauma, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 90:W1-3. 2008..The condition responded to antibiotic therapy. Orthopaedic surgeons should be aware of the diagnosis and consider it in patients with an acute arthropathy...
- Pseudotumoral primary syphilis on the tongue in an HIV positive patientM Yébenes
Clin Exp Dermatol 33:509-11. 2008
- Extensive nodular secondary syphilis with prozone phenomenonMaxime Battistella
Arch Dermatol 144:1078-9. 2008
- Azithromycin vs. benzathine penicillin G for early syphilis: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trialsZheng Gang Bai
Evidence Based Medicine Centre of Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, People s Republic of China
Int J STD AIDS 19:217-21. 2008..Azithromycin achieved a higher cure rate than penicillin G benzathine in a long follow-up...
- Otosyphilis in HIV-coinfected individuals: a case series from Toronto, CanadaSharmistha Mishra
Division of Infectious Diseases, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
AIDS Patient Care STDS 22:213-9. 2008..Increased awareness of uncommon manifestations of syphilis in high-risk individuals is warranted to prompt appropriate investigation and treatment...
- [Cardiovascular syphilis: diagnosis, treatment]Teodoro Carrada-Bravo
Infectólogo, Jefe Regional de Educación Médica e Investigación, Hospital General de Zona y Medicina Familiar 2, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico
Arch Cardiol Mex 76:S189-96. 2006..Understanding of the pathology and pathophysiology of the disease, is most important for its prompt recognition and subsequent management. This paper reviews the natural history, diagnosis and therapy of cardiovascular syphilis...
- Psoriasiform eruption and pharyngitisImara Periti
Parma University, Parma, Italy
Arch Dermatol 144:255-60. 2008
- [Anamnesis is supported by diagnostic tests]S Machin Hamalainen
Médico de Familia Centro de Salud Los Angeles Madrid, Spain
Aten Primaria 29:580-1. 2002
- Detection of treponema pallidum DNA in the serum of an adequately treated patient with latent syphilisVladana Woznicová
Acta Derm Venereol 87:379-80. 2007
- Characterization of hydrocarbons, halocarbons and carbonyls in the atmosphere of Hong KongH Guo
Research Centre for Urban Environmental Technology and Management, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom Kowloon, Hong Kong
Chemosphere 57:1363-72. 2004..On the other hand, VOCs from vehicles and gasoline evaporation were predominant with respect to reactions with OH radical...
- Comparative study of regulated and unregulated air pollutant emissions before and after conversion of automobiles from gasoline power to liquefied petroleum gas/gasoline dual-fuel retrofitsHsi Hsien Yang
Department of Environmental Engineering and Management, Chaoyang University of Technology, Wufong, Taichung 413, Taiwan
Environ Sci Technol 41:8471-6. 2007..The average reduction percentages were 78%, 61%, 57%, and 58% for benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene, respectively...
- Trichinella infection in wild animals from endemic regions of ArgentinaMabel Ribicich
Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, UBA, Av Chorroarin 280, C1427CWO, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Parasitol Res 107:377-80. 2010....
- Adverse effects associated with inadvertent intravenous penicillin G procaine-penicillin G benzathine administration in two dogs and a catMegan I Kaplan
Section of Emergency and Critical Care, Department of Clinical Studies, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 238:507-10. 2011..One dog and the cat required hospitalization because of severe neurologic impairment and cardiopulmonary arrest (cat); the remaining dog did not develop any clinical signs...
- Improving indoor air quality for poor families: a controlled experiment in BangladeshS DasGupta
World Bank Research DECRG Ru, 1818 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20433, USA
Indoor Air 19:22-32. 2009..The analysis concludes that if cooking with clean fuels is not possible, then building the kitchen with permeable construction material and providing proper ventilation in cooking areas will yield a better indoor health environment...
- Nematode parasites of adult dairy cattle in the NetherlandsF H Borgsteede
Institute for Animal Science and Health ID Lelystad, P O Box 65, 8200 AB, Lelystad, Netherlands
Vet Parasitol 89:287-96. 2000..The same pattern, although not so pronounced, was observed for the serum pepsinogen values. No clear seasonal pattern was found for the Cooperia specific antibodies. Antibodies against D. viviparus were detected in seven cows (6%)...
- [Effect of pregnancy on the immune response against Trichinella spiralis infection in mice]Yan juan Wang
Department of Parasitology, Medical College, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou 450052, China
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 27:46-50. 2009..To study the effect of pregnancy on the immune response against Trichinella spiralis infection in mice...
- Trichomonas vaginalis lipophosphoglycan triggers a selective upregulation of cytokines by human female reproductive tract epithelial cellsRaina N Fichorova
Laboratory of Genital Tract Biology, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 221 Longwood Avenue, RF468, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Infect Immun 74:5773-9. 2006..These effects were dose dependent and sustained in the absence of cytotoxicity and IL-1beta release and utilized, at least in part, a signaling pathway independent from the Toll-like/IL-1 receptor adaptor protein MyD88...
- Fetal syphilis: clinical and laboratory characteristicsL M Hollier
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Obstet Gynecol 97:947-53. 2001..To examine the pathophysiology of fetal syphilis and correlate hematologic, immunologic, and sonographic findings...
- Prices & availability of common medicines at six sites in India using a standard methodologyAnita Kotwani
Department of Pharmacology, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, India
Indian J Med Res 125:645-54. 2007..Data on prices and availability of common medicines in public and private sector in different States of India are scarce. Hence, surveys were undertaken in different States of India to evaluate these metrics...
- Relationships among fecal lungworm loads, fecal glucocorticoid metabolites, and lamb recruitment in free-ranging Rocky Mountain bighorn sheepElise J Goldstein
Wildlife Science Group, University of Washington, Box 352100, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Wildl Dis 41:416-25. 2005..Other factors, including contagious ecthyma, were more important for determining lamb mortality than LPG and FGM levels during our study. We suggest further experimental work over a longer duration to address these relationships...
- Hypertension with elevated levels of oxidized low-density lipoprotein and anticardiolipin antibody in the circulation of premenopausal Indian women chronically exposed to biomass smoke during cookingA Dutta
Department of Experimental Hematology, Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute, Kolkata, India
Indoor Air 21:165-76. 2011..After controlling potential confounders, the changes were positively associated with PM(10) and PM(2.5) in indoor air, suggesting a positive association between IAP and increased cardiovascular risk...
- Albendazole stimulates the excretion of strongyloides stercoralis Larvae in stool specimens and enhances sensitivity for diagnosis of strongyloidiasisWitthaya Anamnart
Department of Medical Technology, School of Allied Health Sciences and Public Health, Walailak University, Thasala, Nakhon Si Thammarat 80160, Thailand
J Clin Microbiol 48:4216-20. 2010..Thus, MFECT can be effectively used for diagnosis of strongyloidiasis with prior administration of albendazole to the subject...
- Analysis of cell membrane characteristics of in vitro-selected daptomycin-resistant strains of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusNagendra N Mishra
Division of Infectious Diseases, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor University of California at Los Angeles Medical Center, 1124 West Carson St, Torrance, California 90502, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:2312-8. 2009....
- [ISKRA guidelines on sore throat: diagnostic and therapeutic approach--Croatian national guidelines]Arjana Tambic Andrasevic
Zavod za klinicku mikrobiologiju, Klinika za infektivne bolesti Dr Fran Mihaljević, Mirogojska 8, 10000 Zagreb
Lijec Vjesn 131:181-91. 2009..is oral penicillin taken for ten days (penicillin V) or in case of poor patient compliance benzathine penicillin G can be administered parenterally in a single dose...
- Virulent and attenuated lines of Leishmania major: DNA karyotypes and differences in metalloproteinase GP63Jovana Sadlova
Department of Parasitology, Charles University, Vinicna 7, 128 44 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 53:81-90. 2006..On the other hand, linear minichromosomes of about 200 kb found in some lines of the LV561 strain are associated with development in vitro and in the vector but they are not essential for the infection of the vertebrate host...
- Sylvatic trichinellosis in southwestern SpainJ E Pérez-Martín
J Wildl Dis 36:531-4. 2000..We suspect the existence of a paranthropic or sylvatic cycle in large areas of this region; given the ease of transfer between sylvatic and domestic or semi-domestic animals, this implies a high epidemiological risk...
- Analysis of multiyear studies in horses in Kentucky to ascertain whether counts of eggs and larvae per gram of feces are reliable indicators of numbers of strongyles and ascarids presentM K Nielsen
Department of Large Animal Sciences, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 5 Højbakkegård Alle, DK 2630 Taastrup, Denmark
Vet Parasitol 174:77-84. 2010..This supports usage of cutoffs for treatment in the 0-500 EPG range. Altogether, the present study yields unique and useful information of widely used methods for parasite surveillance and diagnosis in equine establishments...
- Chemical composition of major VOC emission sources in the Seoul atmosphereKwangsam Na
Department of Chemical Engineering, Yonsei University, Seodaemun Ku, Shinchon Dong 134, Seoul 120 749, South Korea
Chemosphere 55:585-94. 2004..It was found that Ethane and propane were the most abundant compounds accounting for 95% of the natural gas composition. LPG was largely composed of propane and ethane and the remaining components were minor contributors...
- Glycosylation defects and virulence phenotypes of Leishmania mexicana phosphomannomutase and dolicholphosphate-mannose synthase gene deletion mutantsA Garami
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Abteilung Membranbiochemie, 72076 Tubingen, Federal Republic of Germany
Mol Cell Biol 21:8168-83. 2001..Our results define Man activation leading to GDP-Man as a virulence pathway in Leishmania...
- Effect of indoor air pollution on the respiratory system of women using different fuels for cooking in an urban slum of PondicherryD Dutt
Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Natl Med J India 9:113-7. 1996..To reduce pollutant exposures we recommend the use of smokeless chullas or cleaner fuels such as charcoal, biogas and kerosene...
- UK National Audit of Early Syphilis Management. Case notes audit: diagnosis and treatmentHugo McClean
The Royal Society of Medicine, 1 Wimpole Street, London W1G 0AE, UK
Int J STD AIDS 17:334-9. 2006..Nationally, 527 (67%) treatments were parenteral, with almost equal use of benzathine penicillin G for 262 (50%, range 0-97%) cases and procaine penicillin G (PPG) for 260 cases (49%, range 3-100%)...
- Leishmania major glycosylation mutants require phosphoglycans (lpg2-) but not lipophosphoglycan (lpg1-) for survival in permissive sand fly vectorsAnna Svarovska
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e580. 2010..The sand fly species used were the permissive species Phlebotomus perniciosus and P. argentipes, and the specific vector P. duboscqi, a species resistant to L. infantum development...
- High tolerance to repeated cycles of freezing and thawing in different Trichinella nativa isolatesRebecca K Davidson
Section for Wildlife Diseases, National Veterinary Institute, Postboks 750, Sentrum, 0106, Oslo, Norway
Parasitol Res 103:1005-10. 2008..It was concluded that bioassay in mice was the only suitable method currently available for assessing larval viability...
- Galectin-1 on cervical epithelial cells is a receptor for the sexually transmitted human parasite Trichomonas vaginalisCheryl Y M Okumura
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell Microbiol 10:2078-90. 2008..Our data are consistent with the presence of multiple host cell receptors for T. vaginalis of which gal-1 is the first to be identified and highlight the importance of glycoconjugates in host-pathogen interactions...
- Complement membrane attack complex formation and infectivity of Trichinella spiralis and T. nativa in ratsAnu Näreaho
Department of Basic Veterinary Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Vet Parasitol 159:263-7. 2009..nativa have efficient mechanisms to protect themselves against complement attack. The difference in infectivity for rats between the two species, however, is not due to a differential resistance to complement membrane attack complex...
- Membrane permeability parameters for freezing of stallion sperm as determined by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopyHarriette Oldenhof
Clinic for Horses Unit for Reproductive Medicine, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Germany
Cryobiology 61:115-22. 2010..FTIR allows for direct assessment of membrane properties at subzero temperatures in intact cells. The derived biophysical membrane parameters are dependent on intrinsic cell properties as well as freezing extender composition...
- On-road vehicle emission control in Beijing: past, present, and futureYe Wu
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, PR China
Environ Sci Technol 45:147-53. 2011..Beijing has been considered a pioneer in controlling vehicle emissions within China, similar to the role of California to the U.S. The continued rapid growth of vehicles, however, is challenging Beijing's policy-makers...
- Pharyngeal colonization prevalence rates for Streptococcus pyogenes and Streptococcus pneumoniae in a respiratory chemoprophylaxis intervention study using azithromycinS D Putnam
Department of Preventive Medicine and Environmental Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52241 1008, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 6:2-8. 2000..In addition, the minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) for all streptococcal isolates, for azithromycin, penicillin, erythromycin and cefotaxime are reported...
- Differential midgut attachment of Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis in the sand flies Lutzomyia (Nyssomyia) whitmani and Lutzomyia (Nyssomyia) intermediaRodrigo P Soares
Laboratory of Medical Entomology, Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou Fiocruz, 30190 002 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
J Biomed Biotechnol 2010:439174. 2010..whitmani than in L. intermedia. The epidemiological relevance of L. whitmani as a vector of American Cutaneous Leishmaniasis (ACL) in Brazil is discussed...
- Partial liquid ventilation with perfluorocarbon in the treatment of rats with lethal pneumococcal pneumoniaE W Dickson
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester 01655, USA
Anesthesiology 88:218-23. 1998..The current study was undertaken to determine the efficacy of partial liquid ventilation with a perfluorocarbon (FC-77) in the treatment of pneumococcal pneumonia in rats...
- Monocyte cytokine and costimulatory molecule expression in patients infected with Leishmania mexicanaG Carrada
Departamento de Medicina Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico D F, Mexico
Parasite Immunol 29:117-26. 2007..These data suggest that the diminished ability of the monocytes from DCL patients to produce cell-activating innate proinflammatory cytokines when stimulated with LPG is a possible cause for disease progression...
- Efficacy and safety of emodepside 2.1%/praziquantel 8.6% spot-on formulation in the treatment of feline aelurostrongylosisDonato Traversa
Department of Comparative Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Teramo, Italy
Parasitol Res 105:S83-9. 2009..Future practical perspectives in feline medicine and the major advantages of the spot-on product compared to the oral paste are discussed...
- Indoor air pollution from biomass combustion and acute respiratory illness in preschool age children in ZimbabweVinod Mishra
Population and Health Studies, East West Center, 1601 East West Road, Honolulu, HI 96848 1601, USA
Int J Epidemiol 32:847-53. 2003..This study investigated the association between household use of biomass fuels for cooking and acute respiratory infections (ARI) in preschool age children (<5 years) in Zimbabwe...
- Uterine mast cells and immunoglobulin-E antibody responses during clearance of Tritrichomonas foetusL B Corbeil
Department of Pathology, UCSD Medical Center, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103 8416, USA
Vet Pathol 42:282-90. 2005..Released cytokines may account for production of predominantly Th2 (IgG1 and IgE) and IgA antibody responses, which are related to clearance of the infection...
- The Sinorhizobium medicae WSM419 lpiA gene is transcriptionally activated by FsrR and required to enhance survival in lethal acid conditionsWayne G Reeve
Centre for Rhizobium Studies, School of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Murdoch University, Murdoch 6150, Western Australia
Microbiology 152:3049-59. 2006..Although acid-activated lpiA transcription was not required for cell growth, its expression was crucial in enhancing the viability of cells subsequently exposed to lethal acid (pH 4.5) conditions...
- Leishmania donovani-derived lipophosphoglycan plus BCG induces a Th1 type immune response but does not protect Syrian golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) and BALB/c mice against Leishmania donovaniW K Tonui
Centre for Biotechnology Research and Development, Kenya Medical Research Institute, PO Box 54840, Nairobi, Kenya
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 70:255-63. 2003..These data nevertheless suggest that it may be rewarding to further evaluate the potential of LPG as a vaccine candidate in leishmaniosis using other adjuvants, which may enhance its immunogenicity...
- Glycobiology of LeishmaniaSalvatore Turco; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. to determinate the relationship of a chaperone with galactosylation of PG repeat units. 4. to examine the proteins involved in controlling LPG length and side chain sugar modifications ..
- Functional Consequence of Macrolide Resistance Mutations in T. pallidumSheila A Lukehart; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Benzathine penicillin G, used to treat syphilis for the past 50 years, has many disadvantages, including pain at injection sites, ..
- GLYCOSYLATION MUTANTS OF LEISHMANIASalvatore J Turco; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our ultimate goal is a comprehensive understanding of the genes and gene products responsible for synthesizing Leishmania surface and secreted molecules, and their individual and specific roles in parasite virulence. ..
- Lumbar Puncture and Syphilis OutcomeChristina M Marra; Fiscal Year: 2013..Treponema pallidum invades the central nervous system (CNS) early in disease, and benzathine penicillin G (BPG), the recommended treatment for uncomplicated syphilis, does not achieve treponemacidal CSF drug ..
- Molecular T. vaginalis-host interactions in relevance to inflammatory sequelaeRaina N Fichorova; Fiscal Year: 2012..vaginalis-host interactions in relevance to inflammatory sequelae" is to unveil molecular mechanisms of parasite-host interactions associated with inflammatory symptoms and susceptibility to infection. ..
- Role of pathogen-derived capping carbohydrates in altering immunityChristine A Petersen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Due to the important function of carbohydrates in directing anti-pathogen immune responses, it is necessary to determine the specific role of pathogen-derived cap sugars in altering the in vivo and in vitro immune response. ..
- Multi-analyte Biosensor for Emerging Cardiac MarkersCHARLES PENNINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2001..The Phase I program has been designed to demonstrate orthogonal confirmation of sensor performance, thus building customer confidence in this novel sensing technology. ..
- GLYCOCONJUGATES INVOLVED IN HOST/PARASITE INTERACTIONSBIBHUTI SINGH; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will help to define the mechanisms of T. vaginalis pathogenicity, which will ultimately lead to better treatments for trichomoniasis. ..
- Innate Immunity Driven Th1/Th2 bias in LeishmaniasisKeith Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Vaccine Development in LeishmaniasisPhillip Scott; Fiscal Year: 2006..Overall, these experiments will establish the parameters for using LPG2 KO parasites as a vaccine in non-human primates, and provide basic information of wider importance in developing a leishmanial vaccine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MACROPHAGE RECEPTORS FOR LEISHMANIADavid Mosser; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- GLYCOCONJUGATES OF LEISHMANIASalvatore Turco; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS IN ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION IN HIV 1John Ho; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS FOR VASCULAR CELL DEACTIVATIONWarren Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- Remote Sensor for Continuous In-Vivo Glucose MonitoringMICHAEL DANILICH; Fiscal Year: 2003..This proposal will provide the necessary funding to demonstrate this sensing platform with the appropriate sensitivity and specificity for glucose monitoring. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION & CLONING OF LEISHMANIA ANTIGENSEmanuela Handman; Fiscal Year: 1992..These results will have direct relevance to the rational design of cocktail vaccines against Leishmania for eventual human use comprising soluble and membrane proteins and glycolipid antigens...
- Ice Nucelation in Biological Tissues - Implications to CryopreservationRam Devireddy; Fiscal Year: 2007..SA2: Extension of the technique to measure ice nucleation kinetics in whole tissues. SA3: Modeling and prediction of ice nucleation kinetics in whole tissue sections. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Human Metapneumovirus in High Risk PopulationsGregory Gray; Fiscal Year: 2005..These data will facilitate the development of more comprehensive epidemiological studies, and guide future intervention studies in reducing HMPV morbidity. ..
- MOLECULAR CHARACTERIZATION OF FAMILIAL LYMPHEDEMAMansoor Sarfarazi; Fiscal Year: 2003..Depending on these results, they may embark on another round of a genome-wide search at 5-cM intervals in order to identify the chromosomal location of as yet unknown other POL loci. ..
- MOLECULAR IMMUNOLOGY OF SYPHILISSheila Lukehart; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF CHRONIC OPEN-ANGLE GLAUCOMAMansoor Sarfarazi; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ATTENDED CITY SCHOOLYARDS TO INCREASE PHYSICAL ACTIVITYThomas Farley; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Molecular Genetics of Primary Congenital GlaucomaMansoor Sarfarazi; Fiscal Year: 2010..This may also provide further insight for development of a more effective therapy for this pediatric ocular condition. ..
- DRUG RESISTANCE AND PTERIDINE METABOLISM IN LEISHMANIAStephen M Beverley; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have yielded new opportunities for chemotherapeutic attack and new directions for future study of pteridine metabolism and biology. [unreadable] ..
- Trichomonas Lipophosphoglycan in Regulation Immune ResponsesRaina Fichorova; Fiscal Year: 2008..vaginalis infections and complications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Functional Analysis of Optineurin in GlaucomaMansoor Sarfarazi; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ISEA 2004 ConferenceJunfeng Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- INTERACTION OF ORAL SPIROCHETES WITH GINGIVAL EPITHELIUMSheila Lukehart; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will further our understanding of the pathogenesis of periodontal disease by providing a more complete understanding of how T. denticola and other oral spirochetes evade the innate immune response. ..
- Population-based Surveillance for Zoonotic Influenza AGregory Gray; Fiscal Year: 2005..We are particularly well suited to conduct this work as we have extensive experience conducting both epidemiological and laboratory-based studies of respiratory pathogens. ..