Genomes and Genes
Summary: Semi-synthetic derivative of penicillin that functions as an orally active broad-spectrum antibiotic.
Publications283 found, 100 shown here
- Comparative role of antibiotic and proton pump inhibitor in experimental Clostridium difficile infection in miceSukhminderjit Kaur
Department of Gastroenterology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Microbiol Immunol 51:1209-14. 2007..The C. difficile count, toxin A and B titres and myeloperoxidase activity were significantly higher (P>0.05) in ampicillin and lansoprazole receiving groups as compared to the control and the C. difficile receiving groups...
- Molecular simulations reveal the mechanism and the determinants for ampicillin translocation through OmpFAmit Kumar
Department of Physics, University of Cagliari and Istituto Officina dei Materiali CNR UOS SLACS, I 09042 Monserrato Ca, Italy
J Phys Chem B 114:9608-16. 2010..approach, combining molecular dynamics simulations with metadynamics, to simulate the translocation of ampicillin through OmpF from Escherichia coli (E. coli)...
- High-throughput sequencing reveals the incomplete, short-term recovery of infant gut microbiota following parenteral antibiotic treatment with ampicillin and gentamicinFiona Fouhy
Teagasc Food Research Centre, Fermoy, Cork, Ireland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:5811-20. 2012..PCR to compare the gut microbiota of nine infants who underwent parenteral antibiotic treatment with ampicillin and gentamicin (within 48 h of birth), 4 and 8 weeks after the conclusion of treatment, relative to that of nine ..
- Genome-wide identification of ampicillin resistance determinants in Enterococcus faeciumXinglin Zhang
Department of Medical Microbiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS Genet 8:e1002804. 2012..In particular, resistance to the β-lactam antibiotic ampicillin has become ubiquitous among clinical isolates...
- hipA, a newly recognized gene of Escherichia coli K-12 that affects frequency of persistence after inhibition of murein synthesisH S Moyed
J Bacteriol 155:768-75. 1983..is to inhibition of murein synthesis at early or late steps by antibiotics (phosphomycin, cycloserine, and ampicillin) or by metabolic block (starvation for diaminopimelic acid)...
- Killing by ampicillin and ofloxacin induces overlapping changes in Escherichia coli transcription profileNiilo Kaldalu
Department of Biology, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:890-6. 2004..profiles of log-phase Escherichia coli treated with bactericidal concentrations of two unrelated antibiotics: ampicillin and ofloxacin...
- Analysis of PBP5 of early U.S. isolates of Enterococcus faecium: sequence variation alone does not explain increasing ampicillin resistance over timeJessica R Galloway-Peña
Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, Center for the Study of Emerging and Re Emerging Pathogens, University of Texas Medical School, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:3272-7. 2011Recent studies have shown that ampicillin resistance has increased steadily over the past 3 decades within U.S. Enterococcus faecium isolates...
- Role of nutrient limitation and stationary-phase existence in Klebsiella pneumoniae biofilm resistance to ampicillin and ciprofloxacinJeff N Anderl
Center for Biofilm Engineering, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717 3980, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:1251-6. 2003Biofilms formed by Klebsiella pneumoniae resisted killing during prolonged exposure to ampicillin or ciprofloxacin even though these agents have been shown to penetrate bacterial aggregates...
- Community-acquired pneumonia in Ugandan adults: short-term parenteral ampicillin therapy for bacterial pneumoniaH Yoshimine
Department of Internal Medicine and Information and Reference Center, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, Japan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 64:172-7. 2001..We evaluated microbiological etiologies, clinical features and effectiveness of short-term parenteral ampicillin followed by oral amoxicillin for these patients in relation to HIV-status...
- Comparison of BACTEC 460 and MGIT 960 systems for the culture of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis S strain and observations on the effect of inclusion of ampicillin in culture media to reduce contaminationS Gumber
The University of Sydney, Private Bag 3, Camden 2570, NSW, Australia
Vet Microbiol 119:42-52. 2007..The contamination rate of BACTEC cultures was 9.7% compared to 14.3% for MGIT. The effect of 100 microg/ml ampicillin on the S strain of the M...
- Genetic and molecular characterization of beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant Haemophilus influenzae with unusually high resistance to ampicillinFrank S Kaczmarek
Department of Immunology and Infectious Disease, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:1630-9. 2004Previous studies with beta-lactamase-negative, ampicillin-resistant (BLNAR) Haemophilus influenzae from Japan, France, and North America indicate that mutations in ftsI encoding PBP3 confer ampicillin MICs of 1 to 4 micro g/ml...
- Unexpected inhibition of peptidoglycan LD-transpeptidase from Enterococcus faecium by the beta-lactam imipenemJean Luc Mainardi
INSERM, U872, LRMA Pôle 4, Equipe 12 F 75006 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 282:30414-22. 2007..dd-transpeptidases by the LD-transpeptidase of Enterococcus faecium (Ldt(fm)) leads to high level resistance to ampicillin. Ldt(fm) is specific for the L-lysyl(3)-D-alanine(4) bond of peptidoglycan precursors containing a tetrapeptide ..
- Effect of single-dose prophylactic ampicillin and sulbactam on wound infection after tension-free inguinal hernia repair with polypropylene mesh: the randomized, double-blind, prospective trialM A Yerdel
Department of General Surgery, Ankara University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
Ann Surg 233:26-33. 2001To assess the value of single-dose, intravenous, prophylactic ampicillin and sulbactam (AS) in the prevention of wound infections during open prosthetic inguinal hernia repair by a double-blind, prospective, randomized trial.
- Association of amino acid substitutions in penicillin-binding protein 3 with beta-lactam resistance in beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant Haemophilus influenzaeK Ubukata
Pharmaceutical Research Center, Meiji Seika Kaisha, Ltd, 760 Morookacho, Kohoku Ku, Yokohama, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:1693-9. 2001..for penicillin-binding protein (PBP) 3A was reduced in 25 clinical isolates of beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin (AMP)-resistant (BLNAR) Haemophilus influenzae for which the AMP MIC was > or =1.0 microg/ml...
- Genetic characteristics and clonal dissemination of beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant Haemophilus influenzae strains isolated from the upper respiratory tract of patients in JapanMuneki Hotomi
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama Shi, Wakayama, 641 8509, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3969-76. 2007..influenzae to ampicillin (AMP), the isolates were distributed as follows: 161 (61...
- Acquisition and epidemiology of antibiotic-resistant Escherichia coli in a cohort of newborn calvesDeborah V Hoyle
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:867-71. 2004..The acquisition of antibiotic-resistant commensal Escherichia coli was examined in a cohort of newborn calves...
- Bacterial persistence as a phenotypic switchNathalie Q Balaban
Laboratory of Living Matter and Center for Studies in Physics and Biology, Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 305:1622-5. 2004..Inherent heterogeneity of bacterial populations may be important in adaptation to fluctuating environments and in the persistence of bacterial infections...
- High prevalence of antimicrobial resistance among Shigella isolates in the United States tested by the National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System from 1999 to 2002Sumathi Sivapalasingam
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:49-54. 2006..4%) were Shigella dysenteriae. Overall, 1,251 (78%) were resistant to ampicillin and 744 (46%) were resistant to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX)...
- Trends in antimicrobial resistance among urinary tract infection isolates of Escherichia coli from female outpatients in the United StatesJames A Karlowsky
Focus Technologies, Inc, 13665 Dulles Technology Drive, Suite 200, Herndon, VA 20171 4603, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2540-5. 2002..To determine trends in the activities of SXT, ampicillin, ciprofloxacin, and nitrofurantoin among urine isolates of Escherichia coli from female outpatients, ..
- Beta-lactamases in ampicillin-resistant Escherichia coli isolates from foods, humans, and healthy animalsLaura Brinas
Área de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Universidad de La Rioja, 26006 Logrono, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3156-63. 2002TEM-, SHV-, and OXA-type beta-lactamases were studied by PCR with 124 ampicillin-resistant (AMP(r)) Escherichia coli isolates recovered from foods of animal origin (n = 20) and feces of humans (n = 49) and healthy animals (n = 55)...
- Chitosan-alginate multilayer beads for controlled release of ampicillinAnil K Anal
Bioprocess Technology Program, Asian Institute of Technology, Klong Luang, Bangkok 12120, Thailand
Int J Pharm 290:45-54. 2005..of this study is to develop multilayer beads with improved properties for controlled delivery of the antibiotic ampicillin. Ionotropic gelation was applied to prepare single and multilayer beads using various combinations of chitosan ..
- LytM-domain factors are required for daughter cell separation and rapid ampicillin-induced lysis in Escherichia coliTsuyoshi Uehara
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Bacteriol 191:5094-107. 2009..cells, mutants lacking LytM-domain factors were delayed in the onset of cell lysis after treatment with ampicillin. Moreover, rather than lysing from midcell lesions like wild-type cells, LytM(-) cells appeared to lyse through ..
- Canadian beta-lactamase-negative Haemophilus influenzae isolates showing decreased susceptibility toward ampicillin have significant penicillin binding protein 3 mutationsMichelle L Shuel
Vaccine Preventable Bacterial Diseases, National Microbiology Laboratory, Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 63:379-83. 2009Nineteen beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant (BLNAR) and 2 beta-lactamase-positive amoxicillin-clavulanic acid-resistant Canadian Haemophilus influenzae strains were characterized...
- Laser interferometric and cultivation methods for measurement of colistin/ampicilin and saponin interactions with smooth and rough of Proteus mirabilis lipopolysaccharides and cellsMichał Arabski
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Biology, The Jan Kochanowski University in Kielce, ul Swietokrzyska 15, 25 406, Kielce, Poland
J Microbiol Methods 77:178-83. 2009..In conclusion, the laser interferometric method is a useful tool for studies of lipopolysaccharide-antibiotic interactions even if the tested substances are not fully soluble in water...
- Empiric use of ampicillin and cefotaxime, compared with ampicillin and gentamicin, for neonates at risk for sepsis is associated with an increased risk of neonatal deathReese H Clark
Pediatrix Obstetrix Center for Research and Education, Sunrise, Florida, USA
Pediatrics 117:67-74. 2006..As a result, we recommended that ampicillin and gentamicin be used as empiric coverage for early-onset neonatal sepsis while culture results are awaited.
- Distribution and possible transmission of ampicillin- and nalidixic acid-resistant Escherichia coli within the broiler industryValeria Bortolaia
Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Vet Microbiol 142:379-86. 2010..coli resistant to ampicillin and nalidixic acid were frequently isolated, while resistance to ciprofloxacin was detected at a very low ..
- Secondary CD8+ T-cell responses are controlled by systemic inflammationThomas C Wirth
Department of Microbiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Eur J Immunol 41:1321-33. 2011....
- Manipulation of the gut microbiota in C57BL/6 mice changes glucose tolerance without affecting weight development and gut mucosal immunityGunilla Veslemøy Bech-Nielsen
Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Grønnegårdsvej 18, DK 1870 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Res Vet Sci 92:501-8. 2012..When compared to mice treated with erythromycin or the controls, treatment for five weeks with ampicillin improved glucose tolerance without significantly affecting the weight or the number of gut mucosal regulatory T ..
- Identification of transmembrane protein in prostate cancer by the Escherichia coli ampicillin secretion trap: expression of CDON is involved in tumor cell growth and invasionTetsutaro Hayashi
Department of Molecular Pathology, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima, Japan
Pathobiology 78:277-84. 2011..The aim of this study was to identify genes that encode transmembrane proteins present in PCa...
- Aptasensor for ampicillin using gold nanoparticle based dual fluorescence-colorimetric methodsKyung Mi Song
Department of Chemistry, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, Gyungbuk, South Korea
Anal Bioanal Chem 402:2153-61. 2012A gold nanoparticle based dual fluorescence-colorimetric method was developed as an aptasensor to detect ampicillin using its single-stranded DNA (ssDNA) aptamer, which was discovered by a magnetic bead-based SELEX technique...
- Presence of the resistance genes vanC1 and pbp5 in phenotypically vancomycin and ampicillin susceptible Enterococcus faecalisKarin Schwaiger
Technische Universitat Munchen, Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
Microb Drug Resist 18:434-9. 2012b>Ampicillin and vancomycin are important antibiotics for the therapy of Enterococcus faecalis infections. The ampicillin resistance gene pbp5 is intrinsic in Enterococcus faecium...
- New insights in the production of aerosol antibiotics. Evaluation of the optimal aerosol production system for ampicillin-sulbactam, meropenem, ceftazidime, cefepime and piperacillin-tazobactamPaul Zarogoulidis
Pulmonary Department Oncology Unit, G Papanikolaou General Hospital, Aristotle Univesrity of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Pharm 455:182-8. 2013..Several aerosol antibiotics are on the market and several others are currently being evaluated. Aim of the study was to evaluate the aerosol droplet size of five different antibiotics for future evaluation as an aerosol administration...
- Balance between two transpeptidation mechanisms determines the expression of beta-lactam resistance in Enterococcus faeciumJean Luc Mainardi
INSERM EMI U 0004 Laboratoire de Recherche Moléculaire sur les Antibiotiques, UFR Broussais Hotel Dieu, Universite Paris VI, 75270 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 277:35801-7. 2002..phase high performance liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry revealed that stepwise selection for ampicillin resistance led to the gradual replacement of the usual cross-links generated by the PBPs (d-Ala(4) --> d-Asx-..
- Hospital and community ampicillin-resistant Enterococcus faecium are evolutionarily closely linked but have diversified through niche adaptationMarieke J A de Regt
Department of Medical Microbiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e30319. 2012b>Ampicillin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (ARE) has emerged as a nosocomial pathogen. Here, we quantified ARE carriage in different community sources and determined genetic relatedness with hospital ARE.
- Pilot study of ampicillin-ceftriaxone combination for treatment of orthopedic infections due to Enterococcus faecalisG Euba
Infectious Diseases Department, IDIBELL, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4305-10. 2009..The ampicillin-ceftriaxone combination has recently been accepted as alternative therapy for enterococcal endocarditis...
- Ionotropic cross-linked chitosan microspheres for controlled release of ampicillinAnil K Anal
Riddet Centre, Massey University, Private Bag 11222, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Int J Pharm 312:166-73. 2006..tripolyphosphate cross-linked chitosan microspheres with higher acid resistance for controlled release of ampicillin. The microspheres were prepared by two different microencapsulation procedures (by emulsification and by spray-..
- Gut microbiota modulation with norfloxacin and ampicillin enhances glucose tolerance in miceMathieu Membrez
Nestle Research Center, P O Box 44, CH 1000 Lausanne, Switzerland
FASEB J 22:2416-26. 2008..Results from dose-determination studies showed that a combination of norfloxacin and ampicillin, at a dose of 1 g/L, maximally suppressed the numbers of cecal aerobic and anaerobic bacteria in ob/ob mice...
- Nucleotide sequence of the ampicillin resistance gene of Escherichia coli plasmid pBR322J G Sutcliffe
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 75:3737-41. 1978I have determined the nucleotide sequence of the ampicillin resistance gene of pBR322, an Escherichia coli plasmid that encodes a penicillin beta-lactamase. This gene codes for a protein of 286 amino acid residues...
- In vitro and in vivo synergistic effects of cryptdin 2 and ampicillin against SalmonellaPraveen Rishi
Department of Microbiology, Basic Medical Sciences Block, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4176-82. 2011..present study was aimed at evaluating the synergism between cryptdin 2 (a Paneth cell antimicrobial peptide) and ampicillin (Amp) against Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium...
- Analysis of outer membrane proteome of Escherichia coli related to resistance to ampicillin and tetracyclineChangxin Xu
Center for Proteomics, Department of Biology, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian, PR China
Proteomics 6:462-73. 2006..coli K-12 responded to tetracycline and ampicillin resistance for understanding of universal pathways that form barriers for antimicrobial agents...
- Rapid flow cytometric assessment of mecillinam and ampicillin bacterial susceptibilityM Walberg
Department of Biophysics, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo, Norway
J Antimicrob Chemother 37:1063-75. 1996..increase in cellular DNA as well as size was recorded after 20 and 40 min of incubation with the MIC of ampicillin and mecillinam, respectively...
- Efficacy and safety of high-dose ampicillin/sulbactam vs. colistin as monotherapy for the treatment of multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumoniaAlex P Betrosian
3rd Department of Critical Care, Athens University, Evgenidion Hospital, Papadiamantopoulou 20, Athens, Greece
J Infect 56:432-6. 2008To compare the safety and efficacy of ampicillin/sulbactam (Amp/Sulb) and colistin (COL) in the treatment of multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP).
- Novel mechanism of beta-lactam resistance due to bypass of DD-transpeptidation in Enterococcus faeciumJ L Mainardi
L R M A, UFR Broussais Hotel Dieu, Universite Paris VI, 75270 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 275:16490-6. 2000The peptidoglycan structure of in vitro selected ampicillin-resistant mutant Enterococcus faecium D344M512 and of the susceptible parental strain D344S was determined by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography and mass ..
- Measurement of ampicillin, vancomycin, linezolid and gentamicin activity against enterococcal biofilmsJonathan A T Sandoe
Department of Microbiology, The General Infirmary at Leeds, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:767-70. 2006..We measured an alternative endpoint, the minimum biofilm inhibitory concentration (MBIC) and compared the results with MIC and MBC...
- New aspect of the synergistic antibacterial action of ampicillin and gentamicinA I Barnes
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Haya de la Torre y Medina Allende, Ciudad Universitaria, 5000 Cordoba, Argentina
Int J Antimicrob Agents 26:146-51. 2005A new aspect in the action of ampicillin and gentamicin was detected in Enterococcus faecalis...
- Outbreak of ampicillin/piperacillin-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU): investigation and control measuresGiuliana Fabbri
Health Care Management, Bologna Local Health Trust, Via Castiglione 29, 40124 Bologna, Italy
Int J Environ Res Public Health 10:808-15. 2013..Six cases of primary bloodstream infections sustained by ampicillin/piperacillin-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae were observed over a two-month period...
- Improving the diastereoselectivity of penicillin G acylase for ampicillin synthesis from racemic substratesAndria L Deaguero
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Protein Eng Des Sel 25:135-44. 2012..of rac-phenylglycine methyl ester (rac-PGME) when it is coupled with 6-aminopenicillanic acid to synthesize ampicillin. Therefore, we sought to improve the diastereoselectivity of PGA by targeting residues for site-saturation based ..
- Prevalence of beta-lactamases among ampicillin-resistant Escherichia coli and Salmonella isolated from food animals in DenmarkInger Olesen
Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research, DK 1790 Copenhagen V, Denmark
Microb Drug Resist 10:334-40. 2004..for beta-lactamase-mediated resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics was examined by PCR and sequencing in 160 ampicillin-resistant isolates (109 Escherichia coli and 51 Salmonella) obtained from healthy and diseased food animals in ..
- Nanoparticles functionalized with ampicillin destroy multiple-antibiotic-resistant isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Enterobacter aerogenes and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusAshley N Brown
Department of Biological Sciences, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:2768-74. 2012..AgNP) were intrinsically antibacterial, whereas gold nanoparticles (AuNP) were antimicrobial only when ampicillin was bound to their surfaces...
- Nosocomial multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii bloodstream infection: risk factors and outcome with ampicillin-sulbactam treatmentR Smolyakov
Infectious Disease Institute, Soroka University Medical Centre and the Faculty for Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
J Hosp Infect 54:32-8. 2003..baumannii bloodstream infection (BSI) and the efficacy of ampicillin-sulbactam (A/S) in its treatment. Of 94 nosocomial A...
- Moxifloxacin versus ampicillin + gentamicin in the therapy of experimental Listeria monocytogenes meningitisOguz Resat Sipahi
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:670-3. 2008This study aimed to compare the antibacterial activity of moxifloxacin and ampicillin + gentamicin in the treatment of Listeria monocytogenes meningitis in a rabbit meningitis model.
- Group-beneficial traits, frequency-dependent selection and genotypic diversity: an antibiotic resistance paradigmLee Alan Dugatkin
Department of Biology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40208, USA
Proc Biol Sci 272:79-83. 2005..In pairwise competition experiments between the SLAR strain and ampicillin-sensitive strains, only the SLAR strain survived in the presence of ampicillin...
- Pharmacokinetics of ampicillin/sulbactam in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury undergoing extended dialysisJohan M Lorenzen
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:385-90. 2012The fixed antibacterial combination of ampicillin and sulbactam is frequently used for various infections. Intact kidneys eliminate approximately 71% of ampicillin and 78% of sulbactam...
- Ampicillin enhances daptomycin- and cationic host defense peptide-mediated killing of ampicillin- and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faeciumGeorge Sakoulas
University of California San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, California, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:838-44. 2012We studied an ampicillin- and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (VRE) isolate from a patient with endocarditis and bacteremia refractory to treatment with daptomycin (6 mg/kg of body weight) plus linezolid...
- Epigallocatechin gallate synergy with ampicillin/sulbactam against 28 clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusZ Q Hu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:361-4. 2001Compared with ampicillin, oxacillin, cefmetazole and imipenem, the combination of ampicillin and sulbactam at a constant ratio of 2:1 showed the greatest effect against 28 clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (..
- Pharmacodynamic comparisons of levofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, and ampicillin against Streptococcus pneumoniae in an in vitro model of infectionM K Lacy
Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7231, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:672-7. 1999..In this study, the bactericidal characteristics and pharmacodynamic profiles of levofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, and ampicillin against four isolates of S. pneumoniae were compared by using an in vitro model of infection...
- Increasing prevalence of ampicillin- resistant, non-beta-lactamase-producing strains of Haemophilus influenzae in children in JapanH Seki
Department of Nursing, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Chemotherapy 45:15-21. 1999Among Haemophilus influenzae isolated from children with respiratory tract infections, the evolution of ampicillin resistance was investigated during 1996 and 1997 in Japan...
- Chloramphenicol versus ampicillin plus gentamicin for community acquired very severe pneumonia among children aged 2-59 months in low resource settings: multicentre randomised controlled trial (SPEAR study)Rai Asghar
Rawalpindi General Hospital, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
BMJ 336:80-4. 2008To evaluate whether five days' treatment with injectable ampicillin plus gentamicin compared with chloramphenicol reduces treatment failure in children aged 2-59 months with community acquired very severe pneumonia in low resource settings...
- Ampicillin-improved glucose tolerance in diet-induced obese C57BL/6NTac mice is age dependentI Rune
Section of Experimental Animal Models, Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Thorvaldsensvej 57, 1870 Frederiksberg, Denmark
J Diabetes Res 2013:319321. 2013b>Ampicillin has been shown to improve glucose tolerance in mice. We hypothesized that this effect is present only if treatment is initiated prior to weaning and that it disappears when treatment is terminated...
- Importance of amino acid alterations and expression of penicillin-binding protein 5 to ampicillin resistance of Enterococcus faecium in TaiwanSue Er Hsieh
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, Central Taiwan University of Science and Technology, no 11, Buzih Lane, Beitun District, Taichung City 40601, Taiwan, Republic of China
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:514-9. 2006..sequence in the C-terminal domain of penicillin-binding protein 5 (PBP5) and the levels of PBP5 expression to ampicillin resistance of Taiwan clinical isolates of Enterococcus faecium were studied...
- P1A recombinant beta-lactamase prevents emergence of antimicrobial resistance in gut microflora of healthy subjects during intravenous administration of ampicillinAnn Mari Tarkkanen
Ipsat Therapies, Viikinkaari 4, FI 00790 Helsinki, Finland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:2455-62. 2009..In an open-label, single-center controlled trial, 36 healthy subjects were randomized to receive (i) ampicillin (1 g intravenously [i.v.] every 6 h [q6h]), (ii) oral P1A recombinant beta-lactamase (8...
- Administration of ampicillin elevates hepatic primary bile acid synthesis through suppression of ileal fibroblast growth factor 15 expressionMasaaki Miyata
Division of Drug Metabolism and Molecular Toxicology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, 6 3, Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba ku, Sendai, 980 8578, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 331:1079-85. 2009Administration of the antibacterial drug ampicillin (ABPC) significantly increased hepatic bile acid concentrations. In the present study, we investigated the mechanisms for the elevation of bile acid levels in ABPC-treated mice...
- Prevalence and genotypic characteristics of beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant Haemophilus influenzae in AustraliaElizabeth A Witherden
School of Human Life Sciences, University of Tasmania, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1013-5. 2011To determine the prevalence of β-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant (BLNAR) Haemophilus influenzae in Australia and characterize the associated amino acid substitutions in penicillin-binding protein 3.
- Quantitative PCR assay to evaluate ampicillin, ofloxacin, and doxycycline for treatment of experimental leptospirosisJohann Truccolo
Leptospira Laboratory, Institut Pasteur de Nouvelle Caledonie, 98845 Nouméa cedex, New Caledonia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:848-53. 2002..interrogans serovar icterohaemorrhagiae strain Verdun to selected antibiotics used in medical practice (ampicillin, doxycycline, and ofloxacin) was evaluated in a Syrian hamster model, to determine the efficacy of these ..
- Treatment of enteric fever in children on the basis of current trends of antimicrobial susceptibility of Salmonella enterica serovar typhi and paratyphi AV Manchanda
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Chacha Nehru Children Hospital, Geeta Colony, New Delhi 110 031, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 24:101-6. 2006..in children and reports therapeutic failure to ciprofloxacin and evaluates the possible use of chloramphenicol, ampicillin, ciprofloxacin and third generation cephalosporins as first line therapy in the treatment of enteric fever in ..
- High ampicillin resistance in different biotypes and serotypes of Haemophilus influenzae colonizing the nasopharynx of healthy school-going Indian childrenAmita Jain
Department of Microbiology, King George s Medical University, Lucknow, UP, 226003, India
J Med Microbiol 55:133-7. 2006..causes of otitis media, sinusitis, meningitis, pneumonia and septicaemia in children, and the development of ampicillin resistance in H. influenzae is a cause of serious concern...
- Colonization dynamics of ampicillin-resistant Escherichia coli in the infantile colonic microbiotaNahid Karami
Department of Clinical Bacteriology and Virology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:703-8. 2008To compare the colonization dynamics of ampicillin-resistant and ampicillin-susceptible Escherichia coli strains in the infantile intestinal microbiota.
- Synergistic effects of the combination of 20-hydroxyecdysone with ampicillin and gentamicin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusEun Sook Kim
Vestibulocochlear Research Center and Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, Iksan 570 749, South Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 19:1576-81. 2009..was found to be active methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), either alone or in combination with ampicillin (AM) or gentamicin (GM), vis checkerboard assay...
- Antibacterial activity against β- lactamase producing Methicillin and Ampicillin-resistants Staphylococcus aureus: Fractional Inhibitory Concentration Index (FICI) determinationKiessoun Konaté
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Chimie Appliquées LABIOCA, UFR SVT, Universite de Ouagadougou, Ouagadougou 09, 09 BP 848, Burkina Faso
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 11:18. 2012The present study reports the antibacterial capacity of alkaloid compounds in combination with Methicillin and Ampicillin-resistants bacteria isolated from clinical samples...
- Optimization of Fenton process for treatment of amoxicillin, ampicillin and cloxacillin antibiotics in aqueous solutionEmad Elmolla
Dept of Civil Engineering, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS UTP, Bandar Seri Iskander, 31750 Tronoh, Perak, Malaysia
J Hazard Mater 170:666-72. 2009..of operating conditions of the Fenton process on biodegradability improvement and mineralization of amoxicillin, ampicillin and cloxacillin antibiotics in aqueous solution...
- Relatedness of Escherichia coli strains with different susceptibility phenotypes isolated from swine feces during ampicillin treatmentD Bibbal
UMR181 Physiopathologie et Toxicologie Expérimentales, INRA, ENVT, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire de Toulouse, 23 Chemin des Capelles, BP 87 614, 31076 Toulouse Cedex 3, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:2999-3006. 2009..the dynamics of the development of resistance in fecal Escherichia coli populations during treatment with ampicillin for 7 days in pigs...
- Gut decontamination with norfloxacin and ampicillin enhances insulin sensitivity in miceChieh Jason Chou
Nestle Research Center, Lausanne, Switzerland
Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program 62:127-37; discussion 137-40. 2008..Treatment with norfloxacin and ampicillin for 2 weeks reduced the cecal bacterial DNA below the level of detection in ob/ob, diet-induced obese and ..
- Treatment of experimental endocarditis due to Enterococcus faecalis using once-daily dosing regimen of gentamicin plus simulated profiles of ampicillin in human serumJ Gavalda
Infectious Diseases Research Laboratory, Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 40:173-8. 1996We compared the efficacy of ampicillin, both alone and in combination with gentamicin given once a day (q.d.) or three times a day (t.i.d.), in the treatment of experimental enterococcal endocarditis...
- Comparison of the antibacterial activities of ampicillin, ciprofloxacin, clarithromycin, telithromycin and quinupristin/dalfopristin against intracellular non-typeable Haemophilus influenzaeIrini Lazou Ahrén
Department of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital Malmo, Lund University, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Antimicrob Chemother 50:903-6. 2002..Of the antibiotics tested, ciprofloxacin and quinupristin/dalfopristin were the most potent agents, followed by clarithromycin and telithromycin. Ampicillin was not active against intracellularly localized, non-typeable H. influenzae.
- Attachment of ampicillin to expanded poly(tetrafluoroethylene): surface reactions leading to inhibition of microbial growthNattharika Aumsuwan
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, School of Polymers and High Performance Materials, Shelby F Thames Polymer Science Research Center, The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi 39406, USA
Biomacromolecules 9:1712-8. 2008The broad spectrum antibiotic, ampicillin (AM), was reacted to expanded poly (tetrafluoroethylene) (ePTFE) surfaces and resulted in the formation of antimicrobial surfaces effective against gram-positive, Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus ..
- Rational antibiotic therapy and the position of ampicillin/sulbactamHartmut M Lode
Research Centre for Medical Studies, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hohenzollerndamm 2, Berlin, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 32:10-28. 2008..This review focuses on the efficacy of the beta-lactam ampicillin co-administered with the beta-lactamase inhibitor sulbactam, either parenterally (ampicillin/sulbactam) or ..
- Success of ampicillin plus ceftriaxone rescue therapy for a relapse of Enterococcus faecalis native-valve endocarditis and in vitro data on double beta-lactam activityJose M Miro
Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital Clinic, Helios Building, Desk no 26, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Scand J Infect Dis 40:968-72. 2008..a patient with Enterococcus faecalis native-valve endocarditis who relapsed after 4 weeks of treatment with ampicillin plus gentamicin...
- Molecular characterization of ampicillin-resistant Enterococcus faecium isolates from hospitalized patients in NorwayRoland Jureen
Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
J Clin Microbiol 41:2330-6. 2003The genetic relationship of 81 ampicillin-resistant and 21 ampicillin-susceptible Enterococcus faecium isolates from clinical infections and rectal screening in hospitalized patients in Norway was studied by pulsed-field gel ..
- Effects of antibiotics that inhibit the bacterial peptidoglycan synthesis pathway on moss chloroplast divisionNami Katayama
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, 860 8555 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 44:776-81. 2003..b>Ampicillin and D-cycloserine caused a rapid decrease in the number of chloroplasts per cell...
- Antimicrobial activities of piperacillin-tazobactam against Haemophilus influenzae isolates, including beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant and beta-lactamase-positive amoxicillin-clavulanate-resistant isolates, and mutations in their quinolone reYoichi Hirakata
Department of Infection Control and Laboratory Diagnostics, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Aoba ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8574, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4225-30. 2009Beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant (BLNAR) isolates of Haemophilus influenzae have been emerging in some countries, including Japan...
- Effect of sodium fluoride, ampicillin, and chlorhexidine on Streptococcus mutans biofilm detachmentJia Liu
Institute of Stomatological Research, Guanghua School of Stomotology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:4532-5. 2012..b>Ampicillin at all concentrations tested inhibited detachment and reduced the percentage of viable biofilm-detached cells...
- Reclamation of ampicillin sensitivity for the genetic manipulation of Legionella pneumophilaMolly C Sutherland
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:5457-9. 2012..pneumophila lacking loxA, a chromosomally encoded β-lactamase, that has enhanced sensitivity to ampicillin. Also described are a method for converting Legionella strains to ampicillin sensitivity and conditions for ..
- Proteomic analysis of ampicillin-resistant oral Fusobacterium nucleatumM Al-Haroni
Department of Oral Sciences Oral Microbiology, Faculty of Dentistry, and Centre of International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Oral Microbiol Immunol 23:36-42. 2008..Penicillin-resistant F. nucleatum have been isolated from intra- and extraoral infections. This study aimed to assess ampicillin resistance in F. nucleatum by investigating the synthesis of resistance-associated proteins.
- Ceftriaxone versus ampicillin/cloxacillin as antibiotic prophylaxis in elective caesarean sectionE T S Ahmed
University of Gezira, Wad Medani, Sudan
East Mediterr Health J 10:277-88. 2004..out a prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial to evaluate the clinical efficacy of ceftriaxone and ampicillin/cloxacillin prophylaxis in decreasing the frequency of post-caesarean section infection-related morbidity...
- Staphylococcal strains adapted to epigallocathechin gallate (EGCG) show reduced susceptibility to vancomycin, oxacillin and ampicillin, increased heat tolerance, and altered cell morphologyTamar Bikels-Goshen
Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, The Robert H Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment, The Hebrew University, Rehovot, Israel
Int J Food Microbiol 138:26-31. 2010..of cross-resistance, showing a 2, 4 and 8-fold increase in resistance towards vancomycin, oxacillin and ampicillin respectively...
- Orally administered targeted recombinant Beta-lactamase prevents ampicillin-induced selective pressure on the gut microbiota: a novel approach to reducing antimicrobial resistanceJaana Harmoinen
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Clinical Veterinary Sciences, 00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:75-9. 2004..show that an orally administered targeted recombinant beta-lactamase enzyme eliminates the portion of parenteral ampicillin that is excreted into the small intestine, preventing ampicillin-induced changes to the fecal microbiota without ..
- Antibacterial activity of sophoraflavanone G isolated from the roots of Sophora flavescensJeong Dan Cha
Institute of Oral Bioscience and Department of Oral Microbiology School of Dentistry, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju 361 763, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 17:858-64. 2007..The sophoraflavanone G+ampicillin (AM) combination was found to have a synergistic effect against S. mutans, S. sanguinis, S. sobrinus, S...
- Risk of underdosing of ampicillin/sulbactam in patients with acute kidney injury undergoing extended daily dialysis--a single caseJan T Kielstein
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:2283-5. 2009The fixed antibacterial combination of ampicillin and sulbactam is frequently used for various infections. The normal kidneys eliminate approximately 60% of ampicillin (371.39 Da) and sulbactam (255.22 Da)...
- Diverse mutations in the ftsI gene in ampicillin-resistant Haemophilus influenzae isolates from pediatric patients with acute otitis mediaKozue Kishii
Laboratory of Molecular Epidemiology for Infectious Agents, Kitasato Institute for Life Sciences, Kitasato University, 5 9 1 Shirokane, Minato ku, Tokyo, 108 8641, Japan
J Infect Chemother 16:87-93. 2010To clarify molecular changes in beta-lactamase-nonproducing, ampicillin-resistant (BLNAR) Haemophilus influenzae, which is increasing in pediatric patients with acute otitis media (AOM) in Japan, we identified amino acid (aa) ..
- Second-derivative spectrophotometric assay of mixtures of dicloxacillin sodium and ampicillin sodium in pharmaceuticalsB Morelli
Universita degli Studi Bari, Dipartimento di Chimica, Italy
J Pharm Sci 77:1042-6. 1988..Zero-crossing' derivative spectrophotometry has been used for determining binary mixtures of dicloxacillin Na and ampicillin Na, which are penicillins with closely overlapping absorption spectra...
- ampC beta-lactamase hyperproduction in Escherichia coli: natural ampicillin resistance generated by horizontal chromosomal DNA transfer from ShigellaO Olsson
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 80:7556-60. 1983Six ampicillin-resistant clinical isolates of Escherichia coli that hyperproduced the chromosomal ampC beta-lactamase were studied...
- In vitro prevention of the emergence of daptomycin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus and enterococci following combination with amoxicillin/clavulanic acid or ampicillinJose M Entenza
Department of Fundamental Microbiology, Biophore Building, University of Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Int J Antimicrob Agents 35:451-6. 2010..aureus or enterococci could be prevented in vitro by combining daptomycin with amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, ampicillin, gentamicin or rifampicin. Six strains of S...
- Synergistic effect of emodin in combination with ampicillin or oxacillin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusYoung Seob Lee
College of Pharmacy and Wonkwang Oriental Medicines Research Institute, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Jeonbuk, Republic of Korea
Pharm Biol 48:1285-90. 2010..From those results we performed the checkerboard test to determine the synergism of EM in combination with ampicillin (AM) or oxacillin (OX) against all strains...
- Inhibition of plastid division by ampicillin in the pteridophyte Selaginella nipponica Fr. et SavYoshihiro Izumi
Faculty of Education and Welfare Science, Oita University, Dannoharu, Oita, 870 1192 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 44:183-9. 2003We investigated the effect of the beta-lactam antibiotic, ampicillin, on plastid division in the pteridophyte Selaginella nipponica...
- Group B streptococci exposed to rifampin or clindamycin (versus ampicillin or cefotaxime) stimulate reduced production of inflammatory mediators by murine macrophagesKevin C Brinkmann
Department of Pediatrics, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Children s Foundation Research Center at Le Bonheur Children s Medical Center, Memphis, 38103, USA
Pediatr Res 57:419-23. 2005..We stimulated RAW 264.7 murine macrophages with a type-Ia GBS isolate in the presence of ampicillin, cefotaxime, rifampin, clindamycin, or gentamicin, singly or in combination...
- Molecular epidemiology of antimicrobial-resistant commensal Escherichia coli strains in a cohort of newborn calvesDeborah V Hoyle
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland EH25 9RG, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:6680-8. 2005Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) was used to investigate the dissemination and diversity of ampicillin-resistant (Amp(r)) and nalidixic acid-resistant (Nal(r)) commensal Escherichia coli strains in a cohort of 48 newborn calves...
- Directed evolution of ampicillin-resistant activity from a functionally unrelated DNA fragment: A laboratory model of molecular evolutionT Yano
Department of Biochemistry, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Osaka 569-8686, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:903-7. 2001To establish an experimental system to directly observe molecular evolution, a DNA fragment that confers ampicillin resistance on Escherichia coli was cloned from an archaeal genomic DNA...
- Simultaneous determination of carvedilol and ampicillin sodium by first-derivative fluorometry in the presence of human serum albuminHuai You Wang
College of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Shandong Normal University, Jinan 250014, People s Republic of China
Anal Sci 21:537-40. 2005A sensitive and selective method for the simultaneous determination of carvedilol and ampicillin sodium (AS) in the presence of human serum albumin (HSA) is described...
- Characterization of tetracycline- and ampicillin-resistant Escherichia coli isolated from the feces of feedlot cattle over the feeding periodParasto Mirzaagha
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada Research Centre, Lethbridge, AB T1J 4B1, Canada
Can J Microbiol 55:750-61. 2009The objective of this study was to investigate tetracycline and ampicillin resistance in Escherichia coli isolated from the feces of 50 crossbred steers housed in 5 feedlot pens...
- Monitoring of antimicrobial resistance in healthy dogs: first report of canine ampicillin-resistant Enterococcus faecium clonal complex 17Peter Damborg
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Stigbøjlen 4, 1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Vet Microbiol 132:190-6. 2008..Interestingly, two dogs were found to shed Enterococcus faecium resistant to ampicillin. Multilocus sequence typing of these isolates indicated that the two isolates belonged to sequence types ..
- Presence of vancomycin and ampicillin-resistant Enterococcus faecium of epidemic clonal complex-17 in wastewaters from the south coast of EnglandJonathan L Caplin
Schools of Environment and Technology, University of Brighton, Brighton BN2 4GJ, UK
Environ Microbiol 10:885-92. 2008..Enterococcus faecium belonging to the CC17 group contained the purK-1 allele, were resistant to ampicillin and frequently ciprofloxacin, and usually contained the esp gene...
- POSITIVE SELECTION SYSTEMS USING MARKER GENESJohn Naleway; Fiscal Year: 2005..activators, for administration to animal cells or bacteria that contain either the beta-galactosidase (lacZ) or ampicillin resistance (Beta-lactamase, amp) genes as gene fusion markers...
- A Novel Drug for Septicemia Targets A1 ARsConstance Neely Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2010..In combination with antibiotics (gentamicin + ampicillin) administered as single doses, L- 97-1 significantly increased survival to 50-70% in a dose-dependent manner...
- Cell wall synthesis enzymes and beta-lactam resistance in Enterococcus faeciumLouis B Rice; Fiscal Year: 2013..and perform whole genome sequencing to identify all of the mutations leading to expression of high levels of ampicillin and vancomycin resistance through the Ldtfm pathway...
- Novel gene-silencing therapeutics for multidrug-resistant gram-negative pathogensDAVID ELIHU GREENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..PPMOs are more potent than many traditional antibiotics such as ampicillin. The goal of this project is to develop PPMOs for therapeutic use against the multidrug resistant pathogens ..
- New composite material design based on studies of tooth-composite and microbial iJ Paul Santerre; Fiscal Year: 2013..Anti-microbial resin will be synthesized using covalently coupled drugs (metronidazole, or Clavulanic acid and ampicillin)...
- An Integrated Diagnostic System for Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility TestingVINCENT JEN JR GAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..coli, which accounts for 85-90% of the UTIs in the community setting. Prior to the 1990s, beta-lactams such as ampicillin (AMP) were the standard antimicrobial regimen for acute uncomplicated UTIs, but was replaced with SXT when E...
- Molecular Mechanisms Of Daptomycin Resistance In EnterococciCESAR AUGUSTO ARIAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..the use of DAP for VRE by testing the effect of escalating doses of DAP and combination therapies of DAP with i) ampicillin (for VREfs), and ii) with tigecycline or rifampin (for VREfm), in preventing emergence of DAP-R using a murine ..
- Does ampicillin resistance or clade type determine GI colonization by E. faecium?KAVINDRA SINGH; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., >80% of nosocomial Efm are vancomycin resistant (VRE), almost all of which are ampicillin resistant, the traditional drugs of choice)...
- Aminoglycoside-Enabled Elucidation of Persister MetabolismMark P Brynildsen; Fiscal Year: 2013..populations: exponential phase persisters tolerant to ofloxacin, exponential phase persisters tolerant to ampicillin, and stationary persisters tolerant to ofloxacin...
- Mechanisms of Adaption: Genotype to Molecular Phenotype to Growth RateJennifer L Knies; Fiscal Year: 2010..The model system is a single strain of E.coli and 16 alleles of beta-lactamase that confer resistance to ampicillin. Specific Aim 1...
- H. INFLUENZAE: PENICILLIN BINDING PROTEINS & CELL WALLPaul Mendelman; Fiscal Year: 1991..The isolation of naturally occurring strains of ampicillin- resistant-non-beta-lactamase producing H...
- Experimentally-determined fitness landscape of beta-lactamase inhibitory proteinCOURTNEY ELAINE GONZALEZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..to inhibit TEM-1 beta-lactamase (an antibiotic resistance enzyme that hydrolyzes beta-lacam antibiotics, such as ampicillin). E...
- STRUCTURE AND GENETIC CONTROL OF COLICINESDonald Helinski; Fiscal Year: 2005..Plasmid RK2 specifies resistance to the antibiotics ampicillin, tetracycline and kanamycin, and will replicate and is stably maintained in a wide range of Gram-negative ..
- VIRULENCE IN COXIELLA BURNETTIIHERBERT THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 1999..In aim 1, organisms will be transformed to ampicillin resistance using a mixture of plasmids en masse via electroporation. These plasmids carry the C...
- Antibiotic Hypersusceptibility Mutations in BacteriaAlexander Mankin; Fiscal Year: 2005..of this strategy will identify multiple mutations increasing bacterial susceptibility to beta-lactams (ampicillin, ceftazidime, imipenem), translational inhibitors (erythromycin, linezolid, tetracycline, and chloramphenicol) ..
- Antibiotic Potentiators Targeting SOS InductionTimothy Opperman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Several antibiotics that are currently used to treat bacterial infections, such as ampicillin, amoxacillin, and ciprofloxacin, activate the production of a set of proteins collectively referred to as the ..
- NEW MECHANISMS OF MULTIDRUG RESISTANCE IN CANCER CELLSErasmus Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2001..and topotecan resistant clones were isolated from the transfected cells and pREP3 plasmids were rescued by ampicillin selection of bacteria transformed with total cellular DNA...
- VIRULENCE OF VANCOMYCIN RESISTANT AND OTHER E FAECIUMBarbara Murray; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract): For serious infections due to vancomycin resistant Enterococcus faecium that are also highly ampicillin resistant, there is no known, effective therapy. Surprisingly little is known about E...
- MUTAGENIC AND RECOMBINOGENIC EFFECTS OF GAMMA RAYSWilliam Taylor; Fiscal Year: 1990..Lethality will be determined from the loss of tetracycline or ampicillin resistant colonies depending on which plasmid is used...
- A Unified Reporter Gene for Multi-Modality ImagingJianghong Rao; Fiscal Year: 2005..An ampicillin resistance gene (encoding a bacterial enzyme, beta-lactamase) is an outstanding reporter for optical measurement ..
- GENETIC STRATEGIES FOR DRUG TARGETINGJohn Naleway; Fiscal Year: 1999..for administration to animal cells or bacteria that contain either the beta- galactosidase (lac Z) or ampicillin resistance (beta-lactamase, amp) genes as gene fusion markers...
- Microbial altruists: Helping cohorts survive lethal drugsMichael Perlin; Fiscal Year: 2005..we will use competitions between near-isogenic Escherichia coli strains that are either sensitive to ampicillin or are resistant, by virtue of a plasmid-encoded ?-lactamase...
- Bacteriophage-based probiotic preparations and their effect on the gut microfloraAlexander Sulakvelidze; Fiscal Year: 2007..monocytogenes colonization in experimentally-infected mice; SA #3: Compare the in vivo effects of LMP-102 and ampicillin on the intestinal microflora of healthy mice and mice experimentally-infected with L monocytogenes...
- DNA-MEDIATED TRANSFER OF LECTIN-RESISTANCETIEN WEN WIEDMANN; Fiscal Year: 1990..coli, and select for recombinant clones with ampicillin. (4) Carry out secondary transfection by transfecting the WGA-sensitive parental mouse melanoma cells with the ..
- LISTERIA HEMOLYSIN AND INTRACELLULAR GROWTHDaniel Portnoy; Fiscal Year: 1992..Mutants will be selected inside tissue culture cells in the presence of ampicillin, an antibiotic that kills only growing bacteria.
- Study design importance in analyzing emerging pathogensAnthony Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..The second aim will be done by combining epidemiological relatedness and molecular relatedness through pulse-field gel electrophoresis of ESBL cultures to quantify the importance of patient to patient transmission. ..
- New Nosocomial Interventions to Decrease Antimicrobial Resistance TransmissionAnthony Harris; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Novel Virus that Infects & Sterilizes Insect Vectors of Human DiseaseDrion Boucias; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Enterococcus faecium virulence: A molecular and therapeutic approachCesar Arias; Fiscal Year: 2008..A translational approach using the mentor's laboratory established animal models (mouse peritonitis and rat infective endocarditis) will be utilized to explore therapeutic approaches. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hospital-Acquired Infections in the ElderlyKeith Kaye; Fiscal Year: 2008..The risk factor identified for SSI and MDRB and the impact of SSI and MDRB on health outcomes will be used to design and implement future preventive interventions. ..
- POPULATION GENETICS & EVOLUTION OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCEBruce Levin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- The Nature of Bacterial UncultivabilityKim Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2008..Unculturable bacteria are an enormous untapped source of potentially useful pharmaceutical compounds. Unculturable bacteria also make up most of the human oral and intestinal microflora. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A VACCINE FOR MORAXELLA CATARRHALISTimothy Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2009..catarrhalis surface, the identification of surface antigens expressed specifically during human infection and critical information about the human immune response to surface antigens of M. catarrhalis. ..
- SCREEN DEVELOPMENT FOR ANTIMICROBIAL PRODRUGSKim Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2009..RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- Synergism Between Influenza Virus and PneumococcusJonathan McCullers; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Novel imaging biomarkers to address fundamental controversies in TB pathogenesisSanjay Jain; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- MULTIPLE ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE (MAR) REGULONStuart Levy; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Interferometric Nano-sensing for Biochemical AnalysisDarryl Bornhop; Fiscal Year: 2008..This proposal expands on these results, culminating a multiplexed OCIBD for homogeneous (free-solution) molecular interaction assays. ..
- RNA editing and its inhibition of HIV-1 replication in human macrophageYoshihiko Hoshino; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will establish if ADAR1 impacts on viral replication and mutation and will be the basis of further investigation on the impact of drug abuse on the expression of ADAR1. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biofilm growth and detachment of an oral pathogenJeffrey Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Recurrent otitis media and COPD: immunity and vaccinesTimothy Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed studies will advance the field of vaccine development to prevent otitis media and respiratory tract infections in COPD. ..
- Influenza-pneumococcal synergism: role of neuraminidaseJonathan McCullers; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- 2nd Orthomyxoviruses Research ConferenceJonathan McCullers; Fiscal Year: 2003..The purpose of this proposal is to provide funds that will allow promising young investigators to interact with their peers and develop a commitment to this area of research. ..
- FREE SOLUTION MOBILITY AS A PROBE OF DNA ELECTROSTATICSNancy Stellwagen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Further work entails an examination of the interaction between DNA and commonly used buffers in electrophoresis experiments. ..
- EFFLUX-MEDIATED RESISTANCE TO TETRACYCLINESStuart Levy; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Lethal synergism between influenza and pneumococcusJonathan McCullers; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- NATURAL SUBSTRATES AND INHIBITORS OF MICROBIAL MDR PUMPSKim Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2002..MDR inhibitors will potentiate the action of conventional antibiotics, aiding eradication of multidrug resistant human pathogens. ..
- POPULATION BIOLOGY OF BACTERIAL VIRUSES AND PLASMIDSBruce Levin; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- NOVEL METHODS FOR DISCOVERY OF ANTI-MICROBIALSKim Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2005..Determination of chemical structure will be performed by a combination of MS and NMR methods. ..
- BIODEFENSE THERAPEUTICS FROM UNCULTURED MICROORGANISMSKim Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2005..Determination of chemical structure will be performed by a combination of MS and NMR methods. ..
- EFFLUX-MEDIATED RESISTANCE TO TETRACYCLINESStuart Levy; Fiscal Year: 2006..Such understanding will also enhance[unreadable] efforts to reverse efflux of other antibiotics and drugs used to treat infectious diseases, including[unreadable] bacteria, fungi and parasites, and cancer. ..
- Rural Trial of Clinic Order Entry with Decision SupportMatthew Samore; Fiscal Year: 2006..The cost impact of the intervention will be measured to allow a comprehensive assessment of the value of this HIT. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms of Tandem Repeat Deletion in Group B StrepKAREN PUOPOLO; Fiscal Year: 2006..The training goal of this project is to prepare the applicant for a career in bacterial genetic research by providing didactic education and the opportunity to develop laboratory expertise in this rapidly evolving field. ..
- Postsynthetic Modifications of Bacterial Membrane LipidsJohn Cronan; Fiscal Year: 2006..These processes will be studied by a combination of biochemical, genetic, and molecular biological approaches including tests of pathogenesis in a mouse model system ..
- 3rd Orthomyxoviruses Research ConferenceJonathan McCullers; Fiscal Year: 2005..The purpose of this proposal is to provide funds that will allow promising young investigators to interact with their peers and develop a commitment to this area of research. ..
- Female mate choice and cultural transmissionLEE DUGATKIN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Here, I propose to continue my work with Dr. Cunningham, and examine mate copying in an experimental scenario that moves away from a written survey, and provides a more realistic evaluation of human mate copying. ..
- Resistant E.coli in Humans and PoultryJames Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Does the research address a current and compelling problem of antimicrobial resistance that is of high public health importance and for which research is needed? [yes]. ..
- EXPERIMENTAL MODEL FOR CHORIOAMNIONITIS AND PREMATURITYMichael Gravett; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will clarify the pathophysiology of infection-associated preterm labor and will suggest effective interventional strategies. ..