Summary: A broad-spectrum penicillin antibiotic used orally in the treatment of mild to moderate infections by susceptible gram-positive organisms.
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- Penicillin for acute sore throat: randomised double blind trial of seven days versus three days treatment or placebo in adultsS Zwart
Julius Center for General Practice and Patient Oriented Research, University Medical Center Utrecht, 3584 CG Utrecht, Netherlands
BMJ 320:150-4. 2000..To assess whether treatment with penicillin for three days and the traditional treatment for seven days were equally as effective at accelerating resolution of symptoms in patients with sore throat compared with placebo...
- Do general practitioners' consultation rates influence their prescribing patterns of antibiotics for acute respiratory tract infections?Svein Gjelstad
Department of General Practice Family Medicine, Institute of Health and Society, University of Oslo, PO Box 1130, Blindern, N 0318 Oslo, Norway
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:2425-33. 2011..To examine general practitioners' (GPs') antibiotic prescribing patterns for acute respiratory tract infections (ARTIs) as compared with national guidelines. We also wanted to explore possible predictors of antibiotic prescription patterns...
- GPs' antibiotic prescription patterns for respiratory tract infections--still room for improvementSvein Gjelstad
Department of General Practice and Community Medicine, Antibiotic Centre for Primary Care, University of Oslo, Norway
Scand J Prim Health Care 27:208-15. 2009..The article describes and analyses antibiotic prescription patterns by general practitioners in Vestfold, Norway...
- Prophylactic antibiotics for the prevention of cellulitis (erysipelas) of the leg: results of the UK Dermatology Clinical Trials Network's PATCH II trialKim Thomas
Centre of Evidence Based Dermatology, University of Nottingham, King s Meadow Campus, Lenton Lane, Nottingham NG7 2N, UK
Br J Dermatol 166:169-78. 2012..Cellulitis (erysipelas) of the leg is a common, painful infection of the skin and underlying tissue. Repeat episodes are frequent, cause significant morbidity and result in high health service costs...
- Among developmental regulators, StuA but not BrlA is essential for penicillin V production in Penicillium chrysogenumClaudia Sigl
Anti Infectives Microbiology, Sandoz GmbH, Biochemiestrasse 10, 6250 Kundl, Austria
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:972-82. 2011..In agreement, penicillin V production was wild-type-like in brlA-deficient strains but 99% decreased in stuA-deficient strains during ..
- Pharmacodynamic analysis and clinical trial of amoxicillin sprinkle administered once daily for 7 days compared to penicillin V potassium administered four times daily for 10 days in the treatment of tonsillopharyngitis due to Streptococcus pyogenes in chM E Pichichero
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 672, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2512-20. 2008....
- Development of fast Fourier transformation continuous cyclic voltammetry as a highly sensitive detection system for ultra trace monitoring of penicillin VParviz Norouzi
Center of Excellence in Electrochemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Anal Biochem 360:175-81. 2007Fast continuous cyclic voltammetry was used as a detection method for penicillin V in a flow injection system...
- Decrease of selective immunoglobulin E response to amoxicillin despite repeated administration of benzylpenicillin and penicillin VT Fernandez
Research Laboratory for Allergic Diseases, Carlos Haya Hospital, Malaga, Spain
Clin Exp Allergy 35:1645-50. 2005..After the reaction, however, the hapten induces a boosting phenomenon, which may increase the titre and the affinity of the antibody, with the resulting risk of developing allergic reactions to other penicillins...
- Penicillin V-conjugated PEG-PAMAM star polymersHu Yang
Department of Chemical Engineering, Olson, Room 302, The University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325 0302, USA
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 14:1043-56. 2003..b>Penicillin V was used as a model carboxylic group containing drug to conjugate with full- and half-generation PAMAM ..
- Azithromycin versus penicillin V for treatment of acute group A streptococcal pharyngitisUrs B Schaad
University Children s Hospital of Basel, Zurich, Switzerland
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:304-8. 2002To compare a 3-day azithromycin vs. a 10-day penicillin V regimen for treatment of acute group A streptococcal (GAS) pharyngitis in children and to determine whether viral infection and/or pharyngeal GAS carriage in patients and adult ..
- Unexplained reduced microbiological efficacy of intramuscular benzathine penicillin G and of oral penicillin V in eradication of group a streptococci from children with acute pharyngitisE L Kaplan
Department of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Reference and Research on Streptococci, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Pediatrics 108:1180-6. 2001To evaluate the efficacy of oral penicillin V and intramuscular benzathine penicillin G (BPG) in eradicating group A streptococci from the upper respiratory tract.
- Quantitative determination of penicillin V and amoxicillin in feed samples by pressurised liquid extraction and liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detectionE Benito-Peña
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Pharm Biomed Anal 49:289-94. 2009A rapid and simple method is proposed for the routine determination of amoxicillin (AMOX) and penicillin V (PENV) in swine feedingstuffs...
- Studying a disease with no home--lessons in trial recruitment from the PATCH II studyKim S Thomas
Centre of Evidence Based Dermatology, University of Nottingham, King s Meadow Campus, Nottingham NG7 2NR, UK
Trials 11:22. 2010..This was the first trial to be undertaken by the UK Dermatology Clinical Trials Network. As such, it was the first to test a recruitment model that involved many busy clinicians each contributing just a few patients...
- Two dosages of clarithromycin for five days, amoxicillin/clavulanate for five days or penicillin V for ten days in acute group A streptococcal tonsillopharyngitisGeorge A Syrogiannopoulos
Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Pediatrics, University of Patras, Greece
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:857-65. 2004..Short course antimicrobial therapy is suggested for group A streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis...
- Multi-objective optimization of an industrial penicillin V bioreactor train using non-dominated sorting genetic algorithmFook Choon Lee
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, National University of Singapore, Engineering Drive 4, Singapore 117576, Republic of Singapore
Biotechnol Bioeng 98:586-98. 2007..In the present paper, an industrial penicillin V bioreactor train is optimized for multiple objectives simultaneously...
- [Simultaneous determination of five penicillins in muscle, liver and kidney from slaughtered animals using liquid chromatography coupled with electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry]Kazuhiro Hatano
Fukuoka City Institute for Hygiene and Environment 2 1 34, Jigyohama, Chuo Ku, Fukuoka 810 0065, Japan
Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi 44:1-6. 2003A simple and rapid method for the simultaneous determination of five penicillins (ampicillin, penicillin G, penicillin V, oxacillin and cloxacillin) in muscle, liver and kidney tissues using high-performance liquid chromatography-..
- [Use of antibiotics in colorectal surgery in Denmark]Søren Salomon
Langelinie 59, DK 5230 Odense M
Ugeskr Laeger 169:920-5. 2007..The aim of the study was to investigate the use of antibiotics in scheduled and acute colorectal surgery in Denmark and on the basis of this and a literature research, to recommend possible antibiotic strategies...
- Acute streptococcal infection of the gingiva, lower lip, and pharynx--a case reportJoseph Katz
Division of Oral Medicine, Department of Oral Surgery and Diagnostic Sciences, University of Florida, College of Dentistry, Gainesville, FL 32610 0416, USA
J Periodontol 73:1392-5. 2002..The early use of penicillin is essential in preventing a cascade of events, resulting in severe fasciitis, destruction of tissues, and subsequent rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease...
- Failure to eradicate Group A beta-haemolytic streptococci (GABHS) from the upper respiratory tract after antibiotic treatmentDimitris A Kafetzis
Second Department of Paediatrics, University of Athens, P and A Kyriakou Children s Hospital, Athens 11527, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 23:67-71. 2004..All three antibiotics were administered in the recommended doses; penicillin V q8 hourly and clarithromycin q12 hourly were given for 10 days and cefprozil q12 hourly for 5 days...
- Streptococcal-A tonsillopharyngitis: a 5-day course of cefuroxime axetil versus a 10-day course of penicillin V. results depending on the children's ageHorst Scholz
Institute for Infectious Diseases, Microbiology and Hygienics, Municipal Hospital of Berlin Buch, Berlin, Germany
Chemotherapy 50:51-4. 2004..of antibiotic treatment of tonsillopharyngitis caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococci (GABHS) with penicillin V (PenV) is mostly 10 days. However, compliance with 10-day courses is bad...
- Comment on: comparison of 5 days of ER clarithromycin versus 10 days of penicillin V for the treatment of streptococcal pharyngitis/tonsillitisElliot V Hersh
Curr Med Res Opin 20:451-2. 2004
- Childhood pustular psoriasis elicited by the streptococcal antigen: a case report and review of the literatureMarya Cassandra
Department of Dermatology, Sun Coast Hospital, NOVA NSU College of Osteopathic Medicine, Largo, Florida 33770, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 20:506-10. 2003..We suggest that if pustular psoriasis is suspected clinically, an elevated serum antistreptolysin antibody titer may help identify the causative antigen...
- [Struggle against infectious risk in splenectomized subjects. Certitude and questions]H Portier
Service des maladies infectieuses Hôpital d Enfants, Dijon 21
Presse Med 32:S29-30. 2003
- [Management of splenectomized patients]J P Chambon
CHU Lille 59
Presse Med 32:S20-3. 2003..Special care is recommended concerning complications, particularly respiratory disorders (pleural effusion, atelectasia) and acute pancreatitis...
- Relief of symptoms in patients with group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus tonsillopharyngitis: comparison between telithromycin and penicillin VS Ragnar Norrby
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Solna, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 35:223-5. 2003..streptococcus tonsillopharyngitis treated with 5 d of telithromycin 800 mg once daily, or 10 d of penicillin V 500 mg 3 times daily...
- [Investigation of penicillin allergy. Procedures and retrospective statement of results for the period 1997 to 2001]Jakob E Borch
Odense Universitetshospital, Allergicentret, Dermatologisk Afdeling I, Sdr Boulevard 29, DK 5000 Odense C
Ugeskr Laeger 165:3157-61. 2003....
- Comparison of 5 days of extended-release clarithromycin versus 10 days of penicillin V for the treatment of streptococcal pharyngitis/tonsillitis: results of a multicenter, double-blind, randomized study in adolescent and adult patientsUrmas Takker
Curr Med Res Opin 19:421-9. 2003This study compared a short-course of clarithromycin with a standard course of penicillin V in patients with tonsillopharyngitis caused by Streptococcus pyogenes...
- Short-course antimicrobial therapy of streptococcal pharyngitisStan L Block
Kentucky Pediatric Research, Bardstown, Kentucky, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 42:663-71. 2003..In light of recent reports regarding the high rate of failure with azithromycin and increasing macrolide resistance, clinicians should prescribe standard doses of this drug for 5 days with caution...
- Successful desensitization to penicillin after diagnostic reassessmentV Soriano
Sección de Alergia Hospital General Universitario de Alicante Alicante Spain
Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 31:94-6. 2003....
- Penicillin degradation catalysed by Zn(II) ions in methanolPilar Gutiérrez Navarro
Department of Physical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Granada, Granada E 18071, Spain
Int J Biol Macromol 33:159-66. 2003..The methanolysis of penicillin V occurs with the formation of a single intermediate substrate-metal complex (SM), whereas the degradations of ..
- [Asplenia and hyposplenism]J Beytout
Service des Maladies Infectieuses, Hotel Dieu, CHU de Clermont Ferrand 63
Presse Med 32:S5-9. 2003..Anti-pneumococcal vaccination and antibiotic prophylaxis using penicillin V considerably reduces the incidence of pneumococcal infection in splenectomized subjects.
- Antibiotic susceptibility of bacteria associated with endodontic abscessesJ Craig Baumgartner
Department of Endodontology, Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry, Portland 97201, USA
J Endod 29:44-7. 2003..The antibiotics were penicillin V, amoxicillin, amoxicillin + clavulanic acid, clindamycin, metronidazole, and clarithromycin...
- CellulitisHernan R Chang
N Engl J Med 350:2522-4; author reply 2522-4. 2004
- Evaluation of 5-day therapy with telithromycin, a novel ketolide antibacterial, for the treatment of tonsillopharyngitisS R Norrby
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Solna, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:615-23. 2004..two double-blind, multicentre, Phase III studies compared oral telithromycin 800 mg once-daily for 5 days with penicillin V 500 mg three-times-daily or clarithromycin 250 mg twice-daily for 10 days in the treatment of Streptococcus ..
- Recurrent acute rheumatic fever: a forgotten diagnosis?Isaac S Kadir
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Ann Thorac Surg 78:699-701. 2004..We briefly discuss the diagnostic dilemma of patients suffering from this condition and in differentiating it from acute endocarditis...
- Antibiotic treatment of children with erythema migransMaja Arnez
Clin Infect Dis 44:1133-4; author reply 1137-9. 2007
- Aminopenicillin-induced exanthema allows treatment with certain cephalosporins or phenoxymethyl penicillinJiri Trcka
Department of Dermatology, Venerology and Allergology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:107-11. 2007..The aim of the study is to demonstrate that patients with aminopenicillin-induced exanthema may receive specific beta-lactams for future antibiotic therapy...
- [Clinical symptoms and treatment of cervicofacial actinomycosis. Literature survey and case report]Mihály Orosz
Semmelweis Egyetem, Fogorvostudominyi Kar, Oktatdsi Rdszleg, Szajsebdszet, Budapest
Fogorv Sz 100:135-40. 2007..As a result of the treatment the healing process was completed successfully and without complications...
- [Unexpected immediate allergy to amoxicillin]T Geffriaud
Ann Dermatol Venereol 134:867-8. 2007
- Unexpected individual clinical site variation in eradication rates of group a streptococci by penicillin in multisite clinical trialsEdward L Kaplan
The World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Reference and Research on Streptococci, Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:1110-6. 2007..The reasons for such variation have never been adequately examined. We performed statistical analyses of site variation in eradication rates to assess the potential effect on reported reduced penicillin efficacy...
- Thoracopulmonary actinomycosis: the masqueraderS Prabhu
Department of Skin and STD, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Udupi, Karnataka, India
Clin Exp Dermatol 33:262-5. 2008..He showed good response to injection crystalline penicillin, which was later changed to oral amoxicillin...
- Skin testing and oral penicillin challenge in patients with a history of remote penicillin allergyArnon Goldberg
Allergy and Clinical Immunology Unit, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 100:37-43. 2008..Penicillin administration is usually contraindicated in penicillin-allergic patients with positive skin test results...
- Hyperkalemia caused by penicillinA Thiele
Am J Med 121:e1-2. 2008
- Acute pharyngitis: no reliability of rapid streptococcal tests and clinical findingsJan Matthys
Arch Intern Med 166:2285; author reply 2285-6. 2006
- Poststreptococcal reactive arthritisDaniel Logan
Section of Foot and Ankle, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 96:362-6. 2006..A review of the literature, distinguishing poststreptococcal reactive arthritis from acute rheumatic fever, and treatment options are discussed here. A case report is also presented...
- Immunological response to antioxidant vitamin supplementation in rural Bangladeshi school children with group A streptococcal infectionJasimuddin Ahmed
National Centre for Control of Rheumatic Fever and Heart Diseases, Sher E Bangla Nagar, Dhaka 1207, Bangladesh
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 13:226-30. 2004..Group 1 (N=258) was treated with phenoxymethyl penicillin V and group 2 (N=258) was treated with penicillin V plus antioxidant vitamins (beta carotene, alpha tocopherol ..
- [Five days ceftibuten versus 10 days penicillin in the treatment of 2099 patients with A-streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis]D Adam
, Dr. von Haunersches Kinderspital, ,
Fortschr Med Orig 119:63-70. 2001..g. cephalosporins. Since the beginning of the 1950s oral penicillin V given three times daily in a dose of 50,000 IU daily has been the drug of choice against Group A streptococcal ..
- Chest pain and arthritisMichael Levine
Division of Emergency Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Emerg Med 29:91-5. 2005
- Penicillin V, loracarbef and clindamycin in tonsillar surface fluid during acute group A streptococcal pharyngotonsillitisArne Orrling
From the Departments of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 37:429-35. 2005..CRP and orosomucoid were of limited value in differing between bacterial and viral pharyngtonsillitis and a correlation between antibiotic concentration and CRP/orosomucoid levels was not found...
- A randomized prospective controlled trial of antibiotic prophylaxis in intraoral bone-grafting procedures: preoperative single-dose penicillin versus preoperative single-dose clindamycinJ A Lindeboom
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:433-6. 2006..No significant difference was found between prophylactic single doses of phenethicillin and clindamycin with regard to postoperative infection in patients undergoing local bone augmentation procedures...
- Management of acute pharyngitis in adults: reliability of rapid streptococcal tests and clinical findingsJean Paul Humair
Medical Outpatient Clinic, Department of Community Medicine, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Arch Intern Med 166:640-4. 2006..How to use clinical score, the rapid streptococcal antigen test (RSAT), and culture results is uncertain for efficient management of acute pharyngitis in adults...
- [Penicillin V is the first choice in the treatment of erythema migrans]Louise Bennet
Lakartidningen 103:1454; author reply 1455. 2006
- Clinical relevance of different IgG and IgM serum antibody responses to Borrelia burgdorferi after antibiotic therapy for erythema migrans: long-term follow-up study of 113 patientsMartin Glatz
Department of Dermatology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Arch Dermatol 142:862-8. 2006..To investigate the kinetics of anti-Borrelia burgdorferi antibodies for a minimum of 1 year after antibiotic therapy in patients with erythema migrans (EM) and to correlate antibody titer kinetics with clinical variables...
- [Management of adult patients with community-acquired pneumonia. Evidence-based guidelines from the Swedish Infectious Diseases Association]Kristoffer Stralin
Infektionskliniken, Universitetssjukhuset, Orebro
Lakartidningen 105:2582-7. 2008
- Comparison of two dosages of azithromycin for three days versus penicillin V for ten days in acute group A streptococcal tonsillopharyngitisRobert Cohen
Association Clinique et Thérapeutique Infantile du Val de Marne, Paris, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:297-303. 2002..This study investigates the efficacy and tolerability of two dosages of 3-day azithromycin (20 mg/kg/day and 10 mg/kg/day) compared with 10-day penicillin V.
- Brain abscess due to Capnocytophaga species, Actinomyces species, and Streptococcus intermedius in a patient with cyanotic congenital heart diseaseK Engelhardt
University Hospital Innsbruck, Department of Neurology, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 21:236-7. 2002
- Penicillin failures?!Bryan L Burke
Pediatrics 109:1189; author reply 1190-2. 2002
- Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis. Infectious Diseases Society of AmericaAlan L Bisno
Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, FL 33125, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:113-25. 2002
- Variables influencing bacteriological outcome in patients with streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis treated with penicillin VPhilippe Ovetchkine
Department of Paediatrics, Créteil Hospital, Paris, France
Eur J Pediatr 161:365-7. 2002Despite the fact that group A streptococci (GAS) remain susceptible to penicillin V (pen V), an increasing rate of bacteriological treatment failures has occurred...
- Once-daily amoxicillin versus twice-daily penicillin V in group A beta-haemolytic streptococcal pharyngitisD R Lennon
Department of Paediatrics, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Arch Dis Child 93:474-8. 2008..Rheumatic fever is a preventable chronic disease preceded by group A beta-haemolytic streptococcal (GABHS) pharyngitis...
- Azithromycin. A review of its use in paediatric infectious diseasesH D Langtry
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 56:273-97. 1998..Azithromycin was also as effective as either phenoxymethylpenicillin (penicillin V), erythromycin, clarithromycin or cefaclor against streptococcal pharyngitis or tonsillitis in children, but ..
- Cefdinir: a review of its use in the management of mild-to-moderate bacterial infectionsCaroline M Perry
Adis International Limited, 41 Centorian Drive, Private Bag 65901, Mairangi Bay, Auckland 1311, New Zealand
Drugs 64:1433-64. 2004..In addition, it was at least as effective as penicillin V (phenoxymethylpenicillin) in streptococcal pharyngitis/tonsillitis and as effective as cefalexin in ..
- Cefpodoxime proxetil: a review of its use in the management of bacterial infections in paediatric patientsB Fulton
Adis International Limited, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand
Paediatr Drugs 3:137-58. 2001..administered in 2 divided doses) for 5 to 10 days was at least as effective as standard 10-day regimens of penicillin V in the treatment of children with pharyngitis and/or tonsillitis...
- Tolerability of aztreonam in patients with IgE-mediated hypersensitivity to beta-lactamsG Patriarca
Allergy Unit, Policlinico Gemelli, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Largo Gemelli 8, Rome, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 21:375-9. 2008..semisynthetic penicillins, cephalosporins, aztreonam and imipenem; detection of specific IgE to penicillin G, penicillin V, ampicillin, amoxicillin, cefaclor and ceftriaxone...
- Incidence of beta-lactam-induced delayed hypersensitivity and neutropenia during treatment of infective endocarditisL Olaison
Department of Infectious Diseases, Institute of Internal Medicine, Goteborg University, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Sweden
Arch Intern Med 159:607-15. 1999..Long-term parenteral beta-lactam treatment is often complicated by adverse reactions that necessitate drug withdrawal...
- A comprehensive in vitro and in silico analysis of antibiotics that activate pregnane X receptor and induce CYP3A4 in liver and intestineKazuto Yasuda
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 36:1689-97. 2008..4-fold) by nafcillin, cefaclor, sulfisoxazole, and (> 2-fold) cefadroxil and penicillin V. Similar although not identical results were obtained in DPX-2 cells...
- Liquid chromatographic determination of ampicillin residues in porcine muscle tissue by a multipenicillin analytical method: European Collaborative StudyEric Verdon
French Food Safety Agency Afssa, Community Reference Laboratory for Antimicrobial Residues in Food from Animal Origin, Department for Technical Innovations on Drug Contaminants and Disinfectants, Fougeres
J AOAC Int 85:889-900. 2002..Investigations regarding the basis of interlaboratory testing studies will further demonstrate the suitability of multiresidue methodology for detecting and quantitating other compounds in the family of penicillin antibiotics...
- Treatment in Kenyan rural health facilities: projected drug costs using the WHO-UNICEF integrated management of childhood illness (IMCI) guidelinesL L Boulanger
Division of Applied Public Health Training, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Bull World Health Organ 77:852-8. 1999....
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of periodontopathogenic bacteriaEva M Kulik
Institute for Preventive Dentistry and Oral Microbiology, Dental School, University of Basel, Hebelstrasse 3, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:1087-91. 2008....
- Removal of antibiotics from wastewater by sewage treatment facilities in Hong Kong and Shenzhen, ChinaA Gulkowska
Centre for Coastal Pollution and Conservation, Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Water Res 42:395-403. 2008..ERY-H(2)O); trimethoprim (TMP); tetracycline (TET); norfloxacin (NOR); penicillin G (PEN G); penicillin V (PEN V); cefalexin (CLX); cefotaxim (CTX); and cefazolin (CFZ)] were measured in influent and effluent samples ..
- Determination of eight penicillin antibiotics in pharmaceuticals, milk and porcine tissues by nano-liquid chromatographyShih Huan Hsieh
Department of Chemistry and Center for Nanotechnology, Chung Yuan Christian University, Chung Li, 320, Taiwan
J Chromatogr A 1216:7186-94. 2009..the simultaneous determination of eight common penicillin antibiotics (amoxicillin, ampicillin, penicillin G, penicillin V, oxacillin, cloxacillin, nafcillin and dicloxacillin) in commercial samples (pharmaceuticals, milk, porcine ..
- Tick-borne infections in children: epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and optimal management strategiesSteven C Buckingham
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Disease, University of Tennessee Health Science Center and Children s Foundation Research Center at Le Bonheur Children s Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Paediatr Drugs 7:163-76. 2005..Doxycycline, penicillin V (phenoxymethylpenicillin) or penicillin G (benzylpenicillin) preparations, and erythromycin are all effective ..
- Cefdinir: an advanced-generation, broad-spectrum oral cephalosporinDavid R P Guay
Institute for the Study of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Clin Ther 24:473-89. 2002....
- Tick-borne encephalopathies : epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment and preventionGöran Günther
Infectious Diseases, Department of Medical Sciences, Akademiska sjukhuset, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
CNS Drugs 19:1009-32. 2005..Localised early disease can be treated with oral phenoxymethylpenicillin (penicillin V), doxycycline or amoxicillin...
- Direct extraction of penicillin G and derivatives from aqueous samples using a stoichiometrically imprinted polymerJavier L Urraca
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
Anal Chem 79:695-701. 2007..2-9.1%, n = 3) for river water fortified with 30 or 60 microg L-1 (50 mL samples) penicillin G, penicillin V, nafcillin, oxacillin, cloxacillin, and dicloxacillin, suggesting that this MIP can be successfully applied to ..
- Defining the optimum treatment regimen for azithromycin in acute tonsillopharyngitisRobert Cohen
Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal de Creteil, Creteil, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:S129-34. 2004..b>Penicillin V for 10 days is the standard therapy and is effective in the management of GABHS pharyngitis...
- [ISKRA guidelines on sore throat: diagnostic and therapeutic approach--Croatian national guidelines]Arjana Tambic Andrasevic
Zavod za klinicku mikrobiologiju, Klinika za infektivne bolesti Dr Fran Mihaljević, Mirogojska 8, 10000 Zagreb
Lijec Vjesn 131:181-91. 2009..drug of choice for the treatment of streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis is oral penicillin taken for ten days (penicillin V) or in case of poor patient compliance benzathine penicillin G can be administered parenterally in a single ..
- Compliance with penicillin prophylaxis in patients with sickle cell diseaseS J Teach
Department of Pediatrics, State University of New York at Buffalo School of Medicine, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 152:274-8. 1998..To assess factors related to compliance with penicillin prophylaxis among patients with sickle cell disease...
- Sample stacking for the analysis of penicillins by microemulsion electrokinetic chromatographyHsi Ya Huang
Department of Chemistry and Center for Nanotechnology, Chung Yuan Christian University, Chung Li, Taiwan
Electrophoresis 29:3905-15. 2008..to detect and analyze eight common penicillin antibiotics (nafcillin, dicloxacillin, ampicillin, oxacillin, penicillin V, cloxacillin, penicillin G, and amoxicillin)...
- [Isolation of group A beta-hemolytic Streptococcus in children with perianal dermatitis]M Echeverría Fernández
Departamento de Pediatria, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
An Pediatr (Barc) 64:153-7. 2006..Clinical manifestations include erythema, edema, and perianal pruritus associated with vulvovaginitis or balanitis, painful defecation, constipation, anal fissures, purulent discharge, and/or rectal bleeding...
- Application of ion-exchange cartridge clean-up in food analysis IV. Confirmatory assay of benzylpenicillin, phenoxymethylpenicillin, oxacillin, cloxacillin, nafcillin and dicloxacillin, in bovine tissues by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization taY Ito
Aichi Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Nagoya, Japan
J Chromatogr A 911:217-23. 2001..The limits of confirmation satisfy the maximum residue limits for each of the penicillins established by the World Health Organization, US Food and Drug Administration, European Union and Japan...
- Actinomyces associated with persistent vaginal granulation tissueClifford Y Wai
Division of Urogynecology Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9032, USA
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 13:53-5. 2005..We report a case of symptomatic actinomycosis associated with vaginal suture erosion and granulation tissue refractory to conservative management, in an outpatient setting...
- Characterization of a Bifidobacterium longum BORI dipeptidase belonging to the U34 familyJeong Min Seo
School of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Agricultural Biomaterials, Seoul National University, 56 1 Sillim Dong, Gwanak Gu, Seoul 151 921, Republic of Korea
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5598-606. 2007..longum BORI dipeptidase is a type of cysteine-type N-terminal nucleophile hydrolase and has a beta-hairpin motif similar to that of penicillin V acylase, which is activated by autoproteolytic processing.
- Clindamycin vs penicillin for anaerobic lung infections. High rate of penicillin failures associated with penicillin-resistant Bacteroides melaninogenicusF Gudiol
Infectious Disease Unit, Hospital of Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Intern Med 150:2525-9. 1990..Treatment was continued orally with clindamycin, 300 mg every 6 hours, or penicillin V, 750 mg every 6 hours, until completing a minimum of 4 weeks...
- Development and validation of an HPLC method for the determination of seven penicillin antibiotics in veterinary drugs and bovine blood plasmaVictoria F Samanidou
Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Sep Sci 32:1302-11. 2009..Amoxicillin (AMO), ampicillin (AMP), penicillin G (PENG), penicillin V (PENV), oxacillin (OXA), cloxacillin (CLO) and dicloxacillin (DICLO) were separated on a Perfectsil ODS-2 (250 ..
- Development and validation of an HPLC method for the determination of penicillin antibiotics residues in bovine muscle according to the European Union Decision 2002/657/ECVictoria F Samanidou
Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Sep Sci 30:3193-201. 2007..liquid chromatographic method was developed for the determination of five penicillins: penicillin G (PENG), penicillin V (PENV), oxacillin (OX), cloxacillin (CLO), and dicloxacillin (DICLO), in bovine muscle...
- Penicillin-binding protein 1B from Escherichia coli contains a membrane association site in addition to its transmembrane anchorR A Nicholas
University of North Carolina, Department of Pharmacology, Chapel Hill 27599 7365
J Biol Chem 268:5632-41. 1993..Floated vesicles contained > 95% of total 125I-penicillin V binding, indicating that PBP 1Bper directly associates with lipid membranes...
- Cloning and characterization of a conjugated bile acid hydrolase gene from Clostridium perfringensJ P Coleman
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27828 4354, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 61:2514-20. 1995..is related to two previously characterized amidases, a CBAH from Lactobacillus plantarum (40% identity) and a penicillin V amidase from Bacillus sphaericus (34% identity). The product is apparently unrelated to a CBAH from C...
- Application of ion-exchange cartridge clean-up in food analysis. VI. Determination of six penicillins in bovine tissues by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometryYuko Ito
Aichi Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Tsuji machi, Kita ku, Nagoya 462 8576, Japan
J Chromatogr A 1042:107-11. 2004..7 to 4.2% (n = 5). The limits of quantification for the six penicillins were 2-10 microg/kg in bovine muscle, liver and kidney (S/N ratio >10)...
- QSRR analysis of β-lactam antibiotics on a penicillin G targeted MIP stationary phaseHenrik Kempe
Biomedical Polymer Technology, Department of Experimental Medical Science, Biomedical Center, D11, Lund University, 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Anal Bioanal Chem 398:3087-96. 2010The imprinting factors of the β-lactam antibiotics penicillin V, methicillin, nafcillin, oxacillin, cloxacillin, dicloxacillin, and piperacillin on a poly(methacrylic acid-co-trimethylolpropane trimethacrylate) molecularly imprinted ..
- Respiratory tract infections in Greenland: results of an audit projectBente Gahm-Hansen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Odense University Hospital, Denmark
Int J Circumpolar Health 63:209-13. 2004..To elucidate and improve quality of diagnosis and treatment of respiratory tract infections in Greenland...
- Propionibacterium acnes: an under-appreciated cause of post-neurosurgical infectionM Nisbet
Infectious Disease Department, Auckland City Hospital, Private Bag 92024, Auckland, New Zealand
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1097-103. 2007..This review of patients with P. acnes neurosurgical infection was carried out in order to determine clinical characteristics and outcomes in relation to duration of antimicrobial treatment...
- Screening and mass spectral confirmation of beta-lactam antibiotic residues in milk using LC-MS/MSD M Holstege
California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System, Toxicology Laboratory, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:406-11. 2002..The antibiotics studied were ampicillin, amoxicillin, penicillin G, penicillin V, cloxacillin, cephapirin, and ceftiofur...
- Multiresidue determination of penicillins in environmental waters and chicken muscle samples by means of capillary electrophoresis-tandem mass spectrometryM Isabel Bailón-Pérez
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, Granada, Spain
Electrophoresis 30:1708-17. 2009..and veterinary use (nafcillin, dicloxacillin, cloxacillin, oxacillin, ampicillin, penicillin G, amoxicillin, penicillin V and piperacillin), whose levels are regulated by the EU Council regulation No. 2377/90 in animal edible tissues...
- Kinetic parameters of efflux of penicillins by the multidrug efflux transporter AcrAB-TolC of Escherichia coliSiew Ping Lim
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3202, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1800-6. 2010..In the present study we extended this approach to the study of a wide range of penicillins, from ampicillin and penicillin V to ureidopenicillins and isoxazolylpenicillins, by combining efflux with hydrolysis with the OXA-7 ..
- Trace determination of 10 beta-lactam antibiotics in environmental and food samples by capillary liquid chromatographyM I Bailón-Pérez
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, Campus Fuentenueva, S N, E 18071 Granada, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1216:8355-61. 2009..The analytes included ampicillin, amoxicillin, penicillin V, penicillin G, cloxacillin, oxacillin, dicloxacillin, nafcillin, piperacillin and clavulanic acid...
- Incidence of antibiotic prescribing in dental practice in Norway and its contribution to national consumptionMohammed Al-Haroni
Department of Oral Sciences, Oral Microbiology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Bergen, Norway
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:1161-6. 2007....
- Treatment of lichen sclerosus with antibioticsWalter B Shelley
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Medical University of Ohio, Ohio 43614 5809, USA
Int J Dermatol 45:1104-6. 2006..women, four men) received penicillin, including intramuscular penicillin G benzathine suspension and/or oral penicillin V potassium, amoxicillin, or amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium...
- Decreased Streptococcus pneumoniae susceptibility to oral antibiotics among children in rural Vietnam: a community studyNguyen Quynh Hoa
Division of Global Health IHCAR, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Nobels väg 9, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Infect Dis 10:85. 2010..This study investigated the prevalence of antibiotic resistance in isolated strains of S. pneumoniae and relationship with antibiotic use and demographic factors of children under five in rural Vietnam in 2007...
- Rhodotorula aurantiaca penicillin V acylase: active site characterization and fluorometric studiesAtul Kumar
Division of Biochemical Sciences, National Chemical Laboratory, Dr Homi Bhabha Road, Pune 411 008, India
J Photochem Photobiol B 97:109-16. 2009b>Penicillin V acylase (PVA), a member of newly evolved Ntn-hydrolase superfamily, is a pharmaceutically important enzyme to produce 6-aminopenicillanic acid...
- [Comparison of 3 antibiotics, cefaclor, josamycin and penicillin V in the treatment of acute throat infections. A multicenter study: 581 cases]P Elbaz
Fondation Rothschild, Paris
Pathol Biol (Paris) 35:847-52. 1987..Cefaclor was administered to the first group (C), josamycin to the second group (J) and penicillin V to the third group (V); duration of therapy was practically the same, respectively 8.41, 8.20 and 8.14 days...
- Spirituality and Will to Live in Patients with HIV/AIDSJoel Tsevat; Fiscal Year: 2004..We anticipate that such information will be of great benefit to patients with HIV/AIDS in their quest to make the best of a potentially devastating illness. ..
- University of Cincinnati CTSA Planning GrantJoel Tsevat; Fiscal Year: 2006..We anticipate that the Institutional CTSA process will transform the way that clinical and translational science and training is carried out both locally and nationally. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mentorship and Research in Spirituality and HealthJoel Tsevat; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Univ. of Cincinnati Clinical Curriculum AwardJoel Tsevat; Fiscal Year: 2008..Coupled with the very strong financial support and enthusiasm of the leadership of the University, we anticipate that the CRCA will have a huge impact on clinical research training in Cincinnati. ..