Genomes and Genes
Summary: A penicillin derivative commonly used in the form of its sodium or potassium salts in the treatment of a variety of infections. It is effective against most gram-positive bacteria and against gram-negative cocci. It has also been used as an experimental convulsant because of its actions on GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID mediated synaptic transmission.
Publications226 found, 100 shown here
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities of 40 isolates of Bacillus anthracis isolated in TurkeyDuygu Esel
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:70-2. 2003Forty clinical isolates of Bacillus anthracis were studied. The MIC(90) values of penicillin G, doxycycline, ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, and levofloxacin were 0.016, 0.03, 0.06, 0.06 and 0.12 mg/l, respectively...
- Genome sequencing and analysis of the filamentous fungus Penicillium chrysogenumMarco A van den Berg
DSM Anti Infectives, PO Box 425, 2600 AK Delft, The Netherlands
Nat Biotechnol 26:1161-8. 2008....
- Comparison of phenotypic and genotypic detection of penicillin G resistance of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from bovine intramammary infectionM Haveri
Department of Clinical Veterinary Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, P O Box 57, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Vet Microbiol 106:97-102. 2005Resistance of Staphylococcus aureus to penicillin G is common among isolates from bovine mastitis. We determined phenotypic resistance to penicillin G for 151 S...
- Molecular identification and characterization of novel members of the human organic anion transporter (OATP) familyI Tamai
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, 920 0934, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 273:251-60. 2000..OATP-B, -C, -D and -E exhibited transport activity for [(3)H]estrone-3-sulfate as a common substrate. OATP-C has a high transport activity with broad substrate specificity...
- Resolving phenylalanine metabolism sheds light on natural synthesis of penicillin G in Penicillium chrysogenumTânia Veiga
Industrial Microbiology Section, Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Julianalaan 67, Delft, The Netherlands
Eukaryot Cell 11:238-49. 2012The industrial production of penicillin G by Penicillium chrysogenum requires the supplementation of the growth medium with the side chain precursor phenylacetate. The growth of P...
- Impact of velvet complex on transcriptome and penicillin G production in glucose-limited chemostat cultures of a β-lactam high-producing Penicillium chrysogenum strainTânia Veiga
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
OMICS 16:320-33. 2012..The correct PcvelA and PclaeA deletion strains revealed a small reduction of penicillin G productivity relative to the reference strain, which is a much smaller reduction than previously reported for ..
- An investigation into the role of surfactants in controlling particle size of polymeric nanocapsules containing penicillin-G in double emulsionSepideh Khoee
Polymer Chemistry Department, School of Science, University of Tehran, P O Box 14155 6455, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Med Chem 44:2392-9. 2009..Under optimum formulation conditions, the encapsulation of penicillin-G can reach up to 60% and the burst release can also fall below 45%. In this case, the fact that the nanocapsules have only 130 nm diameter will be important...
- Exploring and dissecting genome-wide gene expression responses of Penicillium chrysogenum to phenylacetic acid consumption and penicillinG productionDiana M Harris
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 10:75. 2009..The recent sequencing of Penicillium chrysogenum strain Wisconsin1255-54 and the availability of genomics tools such as DNA-microarray offer new perspective...
- Pharmacokinetics of penicillin G in infants with a gestational age of less than 32 weeksAnouk E Muller
Medical Centre Haaglanden MCH, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Lijnbaan 32, 2512 VA, The Hague, The Netherlands
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3720-5. 2007The pharmacokinetics of penicillin G were studied in 20 preterm neonates with a gestational age of less than 32 weeks on day 3 of life by using a population approach performed with the nonlinear mixed effects modeling program NONMEM...
- Bacterial resistance to penicillin G by decreased affinity of penicillin-binding proteins: a mathematical modelL Temime
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 444, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 9:411-7. 2003Streptococcus pneumoniae and Neisseria meningitidis have very similar mechanisms of resistance to penicillin G. Although penicillin resistance is now common in S. pneumoniae, it is still rare in N. meningitidis...
- Organic anion transporter 3 (Oat3/Slc22a8) knockout mice exhibit altered clearance and distribution of penicillin GAdam L VanWert
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F1332-41. 2007..Therefore, this investigation was designed to elucidate the in vivo role of Oat3 in the disposition of penicillin G and prototypical substrates using an Oat3 knockout mouse model...
- Effects of penicillin G on morphology and certain physiological parameters of Lactobacillus acidophilus ATCC 4356M Khaleghi
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, Kerman, Iran
J Microbiol Biotechnol 21:822-9. 2011..Therefore, this study investigated the effects of penicillin G (0.015, 0.03, and 0...
- Duration of intrapartum prophylaxis and concentration of penicillin G in fetal serum at deliveryEmma L Barber
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Obstet Gynecol 112:265-70. 2008Intrapartum penicillin G prophylaxis aims to prevent early-onset group B streptococci (GBS) sepsis by interrupting vertical transmission...
- Analysis of gene expression in penicillin G induced persistence of Chlamydia pneumoniaeM Di Pietro
Department of Public Health and Infectious Diseases, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 26:277-84. 2012..associated with the development of Chlamydial persistence in a cell culture system in the presence of penicillin G. Chlamydia-infected HEp 2 cells were incubated with or without penicillin G for up to 72 hours...
- Promethazine renders Escherichia coli susceptible to penicillin G: real-time measurement of bacterial susceptibility by fluoro-luminometryJanne Lehtinen
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, Arcanum, Vatselankatu 2, Turku 20014, Finland
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:44-51. 2007Gram-negative bacteria are resistant to many hydrophobic antibiotics (such as penicillin G) owing to the highly hydrophilic saccharide part of lipopolysaccharide in the cell membrane, whilst most hydrophilic antibiotics (such as ..
- Comparison of oral amoxicillin and intravenous benzyl penicillin for community acquired pneumonia in children (PIVOT trial): a multicentre pragmatic randomised controlled equivalence trialMaria Atkinson
Division of Child Health, University of Nottingham, University Hospital Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Thorax 62:1102-6. 2007..To ascertain whether therapeutic equivalence exists for the treatment of paediatric community acquired pneumonia by the oral and intravenous (IV) routes...
- Quantitative PCR study on the mode of action of oligosaccharide elicitors on penicillin G production by Penicillium chrysogenumR Nair
Applied Biotechnology Research Group, Department of Molecular and Applied Biosciences, University of Westminster, London, UK
J Appl Microbiol 107:1131-9. 2009To investigate the effects of single and multiple additions of the oligosaccharide elicitors, obtained from alginate and locust bean gum, on penicillin G production and the transcript level of penicillin G biosynthetic genes.
- Ceftriaxone compared with sodium penicillin g for treatment of severe leptospirosisThanachai Panaphut
Department of Medicine, Khon Kaen Hospital, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Clin Infect Dis 36:1507-13. 2003..was conducted from July 2000 through December 2001 to compare the clinical efficacies of ceftriaxone and sodium penicillin G for the treatment of severe leptospirosis...
- Tobramycin once versus three times daily, given with penicillin G, to febrile neutropenic cancer patients in Norway: a prospective, randomized, multicentre trialDag Torfoss
Cancer Clinic, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Center, Oslo, Norway
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:711-7. 2007b>Penicillin G with an aminoglycoside is the standard initial empirical treatment in febrile neutropenia in Norway...
- Replacement of asparagine with arginine at the extracellular end of the second transmembrane (M2) region of insect GABA receptors increases sensitivity to penicillin GAlastair M Hosie
Department of Pharmacology, University College, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Invert Neurosci 6:75-9. 2006..The A301S mutation that confers resistance to dieldrin did not significantly affect the antagonism by PCG...
- Target gene sequencing to characterize the penicillin G susceptibility of Neisseria meningitidisMuhamed Kheir Taha
Neisseria Unit, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2784-92. 2007Clinical isolates of Neisseria meningitidis with reduced susceptibility to penicillin G (intermediate isolates, Pen(I)) harbor alterations in the penA gene encoding the penicillin binding protein 2 (PBP2)...
- Correlation between alterations of the penicillin-binding protein 2 and modifications of the peptidoglycan structure in Neisseria meningitidis with reduced susceptibility to penicillin GAude Antignac
Unité des Neisseria and Centre National de Référence des Méningocoques, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Biol Chem 278:31529-35. 2003Reduced susceptibility to penicillin G in Neisseria meningitidis is directly correlated with alterations in the penA gene, which encodes the penicillin-binding protein 2 (PBP2)...
- Determination of penicillin G and its degradation products in a penicillin production wastewater treatment plant and the receiving riverDong Li
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Aquatic Chemistry, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100085, China
Water Res 42:307-17. 2008To investigate the fate of penicillin G (PEN G) in the wastewater from a PEN G production facility and the receiving river, an analytical method was developed for the simultaneous detection of PEN G and five degradation products using ..
- Evaluation of penicillin G potassium troches in the treatment of minor recurrent aphthous ulceration in a Chinese cohort: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo and no-treatment-controlled, multicenter clinical trialYu Zhou
State Key Laboratory of Oral Disease, West China College of Stomatology, Sichuan University, Sichuan, China
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109:561-6. 2010The aim of this study was to explore the effectiveness and safety of topical application of 50 mg penicillin G potassium troches in the treatment of minor recurrent aphthous ulcerations (MiRAU) in a Chinese cohort.
- A new biocatalyst: Penicillin G acylase immobilized in sol-gel micro-particles with magnetic propertiesSusana M S A Bernardino
ESTM Escola Superior de Turismo e Tecnologia do Mar, Instituto Politécnico de Leiria, Peniche, Portugal
Biotechnol J 4:695-702. 2009The present work focuses on the development and basic characterization of a new magnetic biocatalyst, namely penicillin G acylase (PGA), immobilized in sol-gel matrices with magnetic properties, ultimately aimed for application in ..
- Direct extraction of penicillin G and derivatives from aqueous samples using a stoichiometrically imprinted polymerJavier L Urraca
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
Anal Chem 79:695-701. 2007A molecularly imprinted polymer (MIP) prepared using penicillin G procaine salt as the template (PENGp) and a stoichiometric quantity of urea-based functional monomer to target the single oxyanionic species in the template molecule has ..
- Chloramphenicol versus benzylpenicillin and gentamicin for the treatment of severe pneumonia in children in Papua New Guinea: a randomised trialTrevor Duke
Department of Paediatrics, Goroka Base Hospital, PO Box 392, Goroka, Papua New Guinea
Lancet 359:474-80. 2002..We aimed to establish whether the combination of benzylpenicillin and gentamicin or chloramphenicol would be better as first-line treatment in children with severe pneumonia in Papua New Guinea...
- Microbiological and chemical detection of incurred penicillin G, oxytetracycline, enrofloxacin and ciprofloxacin residues in bovine and porcine tissuesA L Myllyniemi
Department of Food Microbiology, National Veterinary and Food Research Institute, P O Box 368 Hämeentie 57, 00231 Helsinki, Finland anna liisa
Food Addit Contam 17:991-1000. 2000Incurred penicillin G, oxytetracycline, enrofloxacin and ciprofloxacin residues in bovine and porcine muscle and kidney samples were analysed by microbiological and chemical methods, the former using Bacillus subtilis BGA as a test ..
- Reduction of antibiotic use in the community reduces the rate of colonization with penicillin G-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniaeDidier Guillemot
Centre de Resource en Biostatistiques, Epidémiologie et Pharmacoépidemiologie, Institut Pasteur, Unit 657, INSERM, France
Clin Infect Dis 41:930-8. 2005There is a lack of evidence documenting the impact of optimized antibiotic use on the rates of colonization with penicillin G-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae (PNSP) in children...
- Formate as an auxiliary substrate for glucose-limited cultivation of Penicillium chrysogenum: impact on penicillin G production and biomass yieldDiana M Harris
Delft University of Technology, Department of Biotechnology, Julianalaan 67, Delft, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5020-5. 2007..The present study has investigated whether penicillin G yields on glucose can be enhanced by cofeeding of an auxiliary substrate that acts as an energy source but not ..
- Cytosolic NADPH metabolism in penicillin-G producing and non-producing chemostat cultures of Penicillium chrysogenumRoelco J Kleijn
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Julianalaan 67, 2628 BC Delft, The Netherlands
Metab Eng 9:112-23. 2007..chrysogenum was obtained by comparing the PPP fluxes from the gluconate-tracer experiment to oxidative PPP fluxes derived via metabolic flux analysis, using different assumptions for the stoichiometry of NADPH consumption and production...
- Uptake of phenylacetic acid by two strains of Penicillium chrysogenumS H Eriksen
Department of General Microbiology, Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Copenhagen, Solvgade 83H, DK 1307 K, Copenhagen, Denmark
Biotechnol Bioeng 60:310-6. 1998..chrysogenum Wisconsin 54-1255. At high concentrations of phenylacetic acid, contribution to uptake by this carrier is minor in comparison to simple diffusion and therefore, of no importance in the industrial production of penicillin...
- Application of metabolic flux analysis for the identification of metabolic bottlenecks in the biosynthesis of penicillin-GW M van Gulik
Delft University of Technology, Kluyver Laboratory for Biotechnology, Julianalaan 67, 2628 BC Delft, The Netherlands
Biotechnol Bioeng 68:602-18. 2000..This clearly shows that, in penicillin fermentation, possible limitations in primary metabolism reside in the supply/regeneration of cofactors (NADPH) rather than in the supply of carbon precursors...
- A process to produce penicillin G acylase by surface-adhesion fermentation using Mucor griseocyanus to obtain 6-aminopenicillanic acid by penicillin G hydrolysisJosé Luis Martínez-Hernández
Department of Biotechnology, Chemistry School, Universidad Autonoma de Coahuila, Blvd Venustiano Carranza, Col República, PO Box 252, 25000 Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 160:2045-53. 2010The production of extracellular and mycelia-associated penicillin G acylase (maPGA) with Mucor griseocyanus H/55.1.1 by surface-adhesion fermentation using Opuntia imbricata, a cactus, as a natural immobilization support was studied...
- Experiences with an identification and quantification program for inhibitor-positive milk samplesClaudia Kress
Dairy Sciences, Institute of Veterinary Food Science, Justus Liebig University, Ludwigstr 21, 35390 Giessen, Germany
Anal Chim Acta 586:275-9. 2007..b>Penicillin G (mostly together with benzylpenicilloyl metabolites) could be identified in 74.6% of all samples...
- Galbanic acid from Ferula szowitsiana enhanced the antibacterial activity of penicillin G and cephalexin against Staphylococcus aureusAhmad Reza Shahverdi
Department of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology and Medicinal Plant Research Center, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran 1417614411, Iran
Biol Pharm Bull 30:1805-7. 2007..this study the enhancement effect of Ferula szowitsiana roots' acetone extract on the antibacterial activity of penicillin G and cephalexin was evaluated against Staphylococcus aureus...
- Synthesis and screening of a molecularly imprinted polymer library targeted for penicillin GJosefine Cederfur
Biomedical Polymer Technology, Section for Cell and Matrix Biology, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Biomedical Center, Lund University, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
J Comb Chem 5:67-72. 2003..imprinted polymers (MIPs) was synthesized by radical bulk polymerization using the beta-lactam antibiotic penicillin G as the template...
- Penicillin G-resistant viridans group streptococcal endocarditis and interpretation of the American Heart Association's Guidelines for the Treatment of Infective EndocarditisShigeki Fujitani
University of California Los Angeles UCLA Affiliated Infectious Diseases Fellowship Training Program, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:1064-6. 2008....
- In vitro selection of mutants of Streptococcus pneumoniae resistant to macrolides and linezolid: relationship with susceptibility to penicillin G or macrolidesH Carsenti-Dellamonica
Infectious Disease Department, Archet Hospital, route Saint Antoine de Ginestiere, Nice 06202, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:633-42. 2005..To evaluate the rate of acquisition of resistance to linezolid and macrolides in Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates with different levels of susceptibility to penicillin and erythromycin...
- Post-traumatic Streptococcus salivarius meningitis in a childMehmet Arif Aladag
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical School, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Pediatr Int 49:112-4. 2007
- Penicillin degradation catalysed by Zn(II) ions in methanolPilar Gutiérrez Navarro
Department of Physical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Granada, Granada E 18071, Spain
Int J Biol Macromol 33:159-66. 2003..of a single intermediate substrate-metal complex (SM), whereas the degradations of amoxicillin, ampicillin and penicillin G occur with the initial formation of two complexes with different stoichiometry, SM and S(2)M, both in ..
- Neisseria meningitidis strains isolated from invasive infections in France (1999-2002): phenotypes and antibiotic susceptibility patternsAude Antignac
Unité des Neisseria and Centre National de Référence des Méningocoques, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 37:912-20. 2003..Such strains were heterogeneous and accounted for approximately 30% of isolates during this period, warranting continued surveillance of this phenomenon...
- Antimicrobial drug susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from bovine and ovine mammary glandsA Pengov
Institute for Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 1000 Ljubljana, Gerbiceva 60, Slovenia
J Dairy Sci 86:3157-63. 2003..Analyzing the results of the MIC endpoints and the zone diameter values, very major errors, according to the error rate bounded method of Metzler and DeHaan, occurred at an error rate of 3.3% for penicillin and 3.8% for ampicillin...
- Activity of telithromycin against penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates recovered from French children with invasive and noninvasive infectionsEdouard Bingen
Service de Microbiologie, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2345-7. 2003We compared the activities of telithromycin, erythromycin, azithromycin, josamycin, penicillin G, amoxicillin, cefpodoxime, and ceftriaxone against invasive and noninvasive non-penicillin-susceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates ..
- Group A streptococcal pharyngitis and penicillin GGene H Stollerman
Clin Infect Dis 44:763; author reply 763-4. 2007
- [Survey of nasopharyngeal carriage of Haemophilus influenzae and Streptococcus pneumoniae in infants at day care centers]Koichi Hashida
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 109:821-9. 2006..Further prospective studies are needed to determine upper respiratory tract infection in infants at day care centers and to evaluate carriage, epidemiology, and the drug-resistance rates of these pathogens...
- Oral streptococcal strains isolated from odontogenic infections and their susceptibility to antibioticsGabriela Bancescu
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy C Davila Bucharest School of Dental Medicine
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 110:1012-5. 2006..at species level using the Rapid ID 32 STREP system and their susceptibility was testing by the Etest, against: penicillin G, ampicillin, erythromycin, clindamycin and tetracycline...
- [Antibiotic sensitivity of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Tunisia: results of a multicenter study (1998-1999)]Faouzia Mahjoubi-Rhimi
Laboratoire de Microbiologie, Hopital d Enfants de Tunis
Tunis Med 81:167-71. 2003..No vancomycin resistant strain was found. The acquire resistance rates of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Tunisia are worrying, essentially for penicillin and erythomycin. Amoxicillin and cefotaxime have conserved a good activity...
- Leuconostoc species-associated endocarditisJessica A Starr
Auburn University Harrison School of Pharmacy, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:766-70. 2007..The patient received an aortic valve replacement and was treated with penicillin G and gentamicin; he experienced no further complications.
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of community-acquired respiratory tract pathogens in North America in 1999-2000: findings of the PROTEKT surveillance studyDaryl Hoban
Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 45:251-9. 2003..Overall, 21.3% of pneumococci (n = 687) were penicillin G-resistant (Canada, 10.3%; USA, 32.6%). Corresponding rates of erythromycin resistance were 16.3% and 31.5%...
- Postantibiotic and sub-MIC effects of benzylpenicillin against Streptococcus pneumoniae with different susceptibilities for penicillinInga Odenholt
Antibiotic Research Unit, Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Chemotherapy 49:287-93. 2003..The purpose of the study was to examine whether penicillin-susceptible and nonsusceptible strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae exhibited different pharmacodynamic responses to benzylpenicillin...
- Total variation in the penA gene of Neisseria meningitidis: correlation between susceptibility to beta-lactam antibiotics and penA gene heterogeneitySara Thulin
National Reference Laboratory for Pathogenic Neisseria, Department of Clinical Microbiology, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3317-24. 2006..Good correlation between elevated MICs and the presence of penA mosaic structures was found especially for penicillin G and ampicillin. The Pen(i) isolates comprised an MIC of >0...
- Presence of a mutation in ponA1 of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in numerous clinical samples resistant to various beta-lactams and other, structurally unrelated, antimicrobialsKatsumi Shigemura
Division of Urology, Department of Organs Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
J Infect Chemother 11:226-30. 2005..gonorrhoeae strains. We measured the MICs of penicillin G, other beta-lactams, and other kinds of antimicrobials against 53 clinical N...
- Antimicrobial resistance of Staphylococcus aureus and oral streptococci strains from high-risk endocarditis patientsFrancisco Carlos Groppo
Department of Physiological Sciences, Dentistry School of Piracicaba, UNICAMP, Brazil
Gen Dent 53:410-3. 2005..Of the Staphylcoccus aureus strains, 50% were resistant to ampicillin, 53.3% to amoxicillin, 60.0% to penicillin G, 13.3% to amoxicillin/clavulanate, 20.0% to azithromycin, 27.6% to clarithromycin, 23.3% to erythromycin, 3...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of Haemophilus influenzae and Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in a Beirut general university hospital between 2000 and 2004Z Daoud
University of Balamand and Clinical Microbiology Laboratory of the Saint George University Hospital, Beirut, Lebanon
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:86-90. 2006..Only 40.6-50% of S. pneumoniae isolates were susceptible to penicillin G. Susceptibility to clindamycin and erythromycin decreased from 94.1% and 89...
- Serotype distribution and antibiotic susceptibility of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae disease isolates from children in Turkey, 2001-2004Isik Yalcin
Department of Paediatrics, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr 165:654-7. 2006
- A rapid screening method for detecting active compounds against erythromycin-resistant bacterial strains of Finnish originK Kreander
Drug Discovery and Development Technology Center, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, Finland
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 50:487-93. 2005..The described method is a rapid, homogeneous, cost-effective and easy-to-perform system for screening of new potential antimicrobial agents in drug discovery...
- [Sensitivity to penicillin G of isolates of pneumococci meningitis and therapeutic implication in CHU of Treichville, Abidjan]V Edoh
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie virologie, CHU de Treichville, BP V03 Abidjan, Cote d lvoire
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 98:9-10. 2005To determine the frequency of pneumococci meningitis with reduced sensitivity to penicillin G isolated from cerebrospinal fluid, 539 strains were studied between 1996 to 2000...
- Anti-microbial susceptibility of Streptococcus spp. isolated from bovine mastitis in ArgentinaG Denamiel
Microbiologia, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Chorroain 280 1427 Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 52:125-8. 2005The in vitro susceptibility to penicillin G, erythromycin and clindamycin was determined by the disc diffusion test and by E-test for a total of 47 streptococcal strains (three Streptococcus uberis, 36 Streptococcus agalactiae, eight ..
- Subclinical mastitis and antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus caprae and Staphylococcus epidermidis isolated from two Italian goat herdsP Moroni
Department of Animal Pathology, Hygiene, and Veterinary Public Health, University of Milan, Milan 20133, Italy
J Dairy Sci 88:1694-704. 2005..Amoxicillin and the combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid were only slightly less effective. Tetracycline (62.5 microg/mL) and tilmicosin (500 microg/mL) were the least effective treatments for SEPI and SCAP, respectively...
- Mechanisms of macrolide resistance in clinical pneumococcal isolates in a university hospital, Ankara, TurkeyB Sener
Hacettepe University Medical Faculty, Dept of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
J Chemother 17:31-5. 2005..The minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) of penicillin G, erythromycin A and clindamycin were determined by the agar dilution method according to NCCLS guidelines...
- Relationship between the original multiply resistant South African isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae from 1977 to 1978 and contemporary international resistant clonesRalf Rene Reinert
Institute for Medical Microbiology, National Reference Center for Streptococci, University Hospital, RWTH, Pauwelsstrasse 30, Aachen, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 43:6035-41. 2005High-level penicillin G-resistant as well as multidrug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates were first described in South Africa in 1977...
- [Activity of ertapenem and 19 other antimicrobial agents against beta-lactam-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae respiratory tract isolates]Jose Luis Gómez-Garcés
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital de Mostoles, Instituto Madrileño de la Salud, Rio Jucar s n, 28935 Móstoles, Madrid, Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 23:67-70. 2005..Although, clinically indicated for the treatment of the polymicrobial abdominal infection, other uses are possible, due to the broad spectrum of action of this antimicrobial agent...
- Antibiotic resistance testing of the total implant-associated micro-flora and its pure isolatesJ Karbach
Department for Oral Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Eur J Med Res 12:120-8. 2007..The aim of the present study was to examine antibiotic resistant strains among the implant-associated microorganisms in vitro, first as mixed cultures and again as pure isolates for resistance to one of five antibiotics...
- Antibiotic resistance in Staphylococci isolated from the vaginas of captive female Leontopithecus (Callitrichidae-Primates)Walter Lilenbaum
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi RJ, Brazil
Am J Primatol 68:825-31. 2006..from 25 adult lion tamarins, processed to isolate Staphylococcus species, and tested for susceptibility to penicillin G, gentamicin, chloramphenicol, tetracycline, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, streptomycin, ampicillin, and ..
- Characterization of Bacillus anthracis-like bacteria isolated from wild great apes from Cote d'Ivoire and CameroonSilke R Klee
Robert Koch Institut, Centre for Biological Safety 2, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Bacteriol 188:5333-44. 2006..the following criteria: motility, resistance to the gamma phage, and, for isolates from Cameroon, resistance to penicillin G. A capsule was expressed not only after induction by CO(2) and bicarbonate but also under normal growth ..
- [Moraxella catarrhalis in chronic and relapsing respiratory tract infections in children]I K Volkov
Antibiot Khimioter 49:43-7. 2004..In such patients the bronchoobstructive syndrome was more frequent (46.6%). High frequency of the affection of the upper respiratory tracts in the examined children was stated (62.1%)...
- [Sensitivity surveillance of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates for several antibiotics in Gifu prefecture (2004)]- Working Group of Tokai Anti-biogram study group
Research Laboratories of Toyama Chemical Co, Ltd
Jpn J Antibiot 59:137-51. 2006..13 microg/mL for flomoxef, 6.25 microg/mL for cefdinir and cefotiam, 12.5 microg/mL for norfloxacin and minocycline, 25 microg/mL for cefixime, and 100 microg/mL for clarithromycin...
- In vitro antimicrobial and resistance-modifying activities of aqueous crude khat extracts against oral microorganismsNezar Al-hebshi
Laboratory of Oral Microbiology, Department of Oral Sciences Oral Microbiology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Bergen, Armauer Hansens Hus, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
Arch Oral Biol 51:183-8. 2006..To assess antimicrobial activities of aqueous crude khat (Catha edulis) extracts against a panel of oral microorganisms and to test their ability to modify bacterial resistance to tetracycline and penicillin in vitro...
- High-level gentamicin-resistant isolates of oral streptococci and Aerococcus from blood specimensIntetsu Kobayashi
Chemotherapy Division, Mitsubishi Kagaku Bio Clinical Laboratories, Inc, 3 30 1 Shimura, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 174 8555, Japan
J Infect Chemother 9:21-4. 2003..faecalis, whereas no polymerase chain reaction (PCR) products were obtained in the other two isolates that were tested. The mechanism of gentamicin resistance in these two isolates is unknown...
- Primary actinomycotic endocarditis: a case report and literature reviewAnupop Jitmuang
Internal Medicine Unit, Nan Hospital, Nan, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:931-6. 2008..However the optimal duration of therapy is still unknown. Prognosis is good with early detection and proper management...
- Sequencing of Neisseria meningitidis penA gene: the key to success in defining penicillin G breakpointsLuisa Arreaza
Reference Laboratory for Meningococci, National Center of Microbiology, Institute of Health Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:358-9. 2004Testing of susceptibility to penicillin G by E-test and sequencing of an internal fragment of the penA gene were done for 43 meningococcal strains. Those strains for which the MIC was >/=0.094 micro g/ml showed mosaic alleles, so 0...
- Method for estimation of low outer membrane permeability to beta-lactam antibioticsBernard Lakaye
Laboratoire d Enzymologie and Centre d Ingénierie des Protéines, Universite de Liege, Institut de Chimie, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2901-7. 2002..2 x 10(-9) cm/s). Using these values, the MICs for a beta-lactamase-overproducing strain of E. cloacae were successfully predicted, demonstrating the validity of the method...
- Acute otitis media caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae in children's hospitals between 1994 and 1997E R Wald
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:34-9. 2001..Previous antibiotic use remains the most predictive factor for the recovery of isolates resistant to penicillin and ceftriaxone...
- Sensitivity of Borrelia burgdorferi strains isolated in the Czech RepublicD Janovska
Centre of Preventive Medicine, Department of Epidemiology, 3rd Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Cent Eur J Public Health 9:38-40. 2001..of 5 strains of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, isolated from patients in the Czech Republic, to penicillin G, ceftriaxone, cefotaxime, doxycycline and amoxycillin combined with clavulanic acid by broth macrodilution ..
- Multiple actinomyces brain abscesses: case reportM S Tsai
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan
J Clin Neurosci 8:183-6. 2001..Using proper therapy to control infection and intracranial pressure is important. A lon g term follow up with frequent computerised tomography evaluation has been conducted and the patient outcome has been successful recovery...
- Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis. Infectious Diseases Society of AmericaAlan L Bisno
Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, FL 33125, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:113-25. 2002
- [A case of penicillin-resistant pneumococcal meningitis and antibiotic susceptibility of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated from children]K Himi
Department of Pediatrics, Chiba University School of Medicine
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 64:725-33. 1990..Minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) of penicillin G or S. pneumoniae isolated from cerebrospinal fluid and blood was 0.6 micrograms/ml...
- Usefulness of betalactam therapy for community-acquired pneumonia in the era of drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae: a randomized study of amoxicillin-clavulanate and ceftriaxoneB Roson
Infectious Disease, Ciutat Sanitària i Universi aria de Bellvitge, University of Barcelona, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain
Microb Drug Resist 7:85-96. 2001..The use of appropriate betalactams in patients with penumococcal pneumonia and in the overall CAP population, is reliable at the current level of resistance...
- Role of mexA-mexB-oprM in antibiotic efflux in Pseudomonas aeruginosaX Z Li
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 39:1948-53. 1995..These results support the notion that these proteins contribute to the intrinsic resistance of P. aeruginosa through the multidrug active efflux process...
- [Borrelia burgdorferi Group: in-vitro antibiotic sensitivity]Jens Peter Henneberg
Department of Dermatology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munchen, Germany
Orv Hetil 143:1195-8. 2002..Analyses of the antibiotic susceptibility patterns of borreliae may help to understand the causes of such treatment failures and to develop new therapeutic regimens...
- Reducing infections among women undergoing cesarean section in Colombia by means of continuous quality improvement methodsM Weinberg
Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Intern Med 161:2357-65. 2001..04). CONCLUSION: Simple quality improvement methods can be used to optimize obstetric services and improve outcomes of care in resource-limited settings...
- [Standardization of the Neisseria meningitidis antibiogram. Detection of strains relatively resistant to penicillin]P Nicolas
Bull World Health Organ 76:393-400. 1998..Based on our results and literature data on pharmacokinetics, we propose critical concentrations for these various antibiotics as well as critical diameters for chloramphenicol and rifampicin discs...
- [Distribution and characteristics of Bacillus bacteria associated with hydrobionts and the waters of the Peter the Great Bay, Sea of Japan]I A Beleneva
Mikrobiologiia 77:558-65. 2008..In the Bacillus strains obtained, DNase, RNase, phosphatase, elastolytic, chitinase, and agarolytic activity was detected. Bacilli strains with hydrolytic activity occurred in invertebrates more often than in seawater...
- [Anthrax in the era of biowarfare]Philippe Bossi
Service de maladies infectieuses et tropicales Groupe hospitalier Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris
Presse Med 32:167-73. 2003..The cutaneous and digestive forms are also possible...
- The efficacy of an antibiotic protocol for community-acquired pneumoniaC J Dobbin
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 174:333-7. 2001..Treating a patient according to the protocol saved an average of $77.44 in drug costs. CONCLUSION: One year after implementation, our protocol for treating CAP is proving efficacious, although levels of adherence could improve...
- Fulminant liver failure in a child with invasive group A streptococcal infectionM N Biesel-Desthieux
Department of Pediatrics and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 162:245-7. 2003..On antibiotics, he recovered rapidly without liver transplantation...
- Susceptibility of strains of Streptococcus agalactiae to macrolides and lincosamides, phenotype patterns and resistance genesB Aracil
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital de Mostoles, Mostoles, Madrid Servicio, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:745-8. 2002..We therefore studied the susceptibility of clinical isolates of S. agalactiae to penicillin G, erythromycin, azithromycin and clindamycin using National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards ..
- [Prevalence of antimicrobial resistance among clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae in a children's hospital]A Nakamura
Division of Infectious Diseases, Chiba Children's Hospital
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 71:421-9. 1997..Close surveillance of pneumococcal antimicrobial susceptibility including panipenem is necessary...
- Comparative in vitro activity of penicillin G, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, telithromycin, pristinamycin, quinupristin-dalfopristin and linezolid against ofloxacin-intermediate and -resistant Streptococcus pneumoniaeI Fredenucci
Laboratoire de Microbiologie, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, 165 Chemin du Grand Revoyet, 69310 Pierre Benite, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:680-3. 2002..out on 1158 strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae in order to investigate the in vitro bacteriostatic activity of penicillin G, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, telithromycin, linezolid, pristinamycin and quinupristin-dalfopristin against ..
- Natural antibiotic susceptibility of Proteus spp., with special reference to P. mirabilis and P. penneri strainsI Stock
Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelm Universität Bonn, Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Immunologie, Pharmazeutische Mikrobiologie, Bonn, Germany
J Chemother 15:12-26. 2003..P. mirabilis and P. penneri were naturally resistant to penicillin G, oxacillin, all tested macrolides, lincosamides, streptogramins, glycopeptides, rifampicin and fusidic acid...
- Laboratory detection methods for methicillin resistance in coagulase negative Staphylococcus isolated from ophthalmic infectionsAdália Dias Dourado Oliveira
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 70:667-75. 2007....
- [Identification of anaerobic bacteria isolated from various clinical specimens and determination of antibiotic susceptibilities]Metin Dogan
Karaman Devlet Hastanesi, Mikrobiyoloji Laboratuvari, Karaman
Mikrobiyol Bul 44:211-9. 2010..b>Penicillin G, clindamycin, cefoxitin, metronidazole, piperacillin/tazobactam and imipenem susceptibility tests were ..
- In vitro activity of gemifloxacin (SB 265805) against anaerobesE J Goldstein
R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica University of California at Los Angeles Medical Center, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:2231-5. 1999..tested included trovafloxacin, levofloxacin, grepafloxacin, sparfloxacin, sitafloxacin (DU-6859a), penicillin G, amoxicillin clavulanate, imipenem, cefoxitin, clindamycin, and metronidazole...
- Tolerability of aztreonam in patients with IgE-mediated hypersensitivity to beta-lactamsG Patriarca
Allergy Unit, Policlinico Gemelli, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Largo Gemelli 8, Rome, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 21:375-9. 2008..mixture, semisynthetic penicillins, cephalosporins, aztreonam and imipenem; detection of specific IgE to penicillin G, penicillin V, ampicillin, amoxicillin, cefaclor and ceftriaxone...
- Comparison of antimicrobial in vitro activities against Streptococcus pneumoniae independent of MIC susceptibility breakpoints using MIC frequency distribution curves, scattergrams and linear regression analysesR J Fass
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:609-15. 2001..In this study, MICs of penicillin G, ampicillin/sulbactam, ceftriaxone, cefuroxime, erythromycin, tetracycline, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, ..
- Streamlining methodology for the multiresidue analysis of beta-lactam antibiotics in bovine kidney using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryKaterina Mastovska
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Eastern Regional Research Center, 600 East Mermaid Lane, Wyndmoor, PA 19038, USA
J Chromatogr A 1202:118-23. 2008..desfuroylceftiofur cysteine disulfide (DCCD), deacetylcephapirin, dicloxacillin, nafcillin, oxacillin, and penicillin G) in bovine kidney has been further streamlined...
- Antimicrobial resistance of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated from healthy children in day-care centers: results of a multicenter study in RussiaL S Stratchounski
Smolensk State Medical Academy, Russia
Pediatr Infect Dis J 19:196-200. 2000..healthy children attending day-care centers in Moscow, Smolensk and Yartsevo, Russia, and in vitro activity of penicillin G, amoxicillin/clavulanate, cefaclor, erythromycin, roxithromycin, clarithromycin and trimethoprim-..
- Therapeutic options for pneumococcal pneumonia in TurkeySerkan Oncu
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty, Aydin, Turkey
Clin Ther 27:674-83. 2005..Community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. Streptococcus pneumoniae continues to be the most important causative agent in CAP...
- Kinetics of beta-lactam interactions with penicillin-susceptible and -resistant penicillin-binding protein 2x proteins from Streptococcus pneumoniae. Involvement of acylation and deacylation in beta-lactam resistanceW P Lu
Anti infective Research, Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Health Care Research Center, Mason, Ohio 45040, USA
J Biol Chem 276:31494-501. 2001..These data indicate that the deacylation step also plays a role, which is much more important than previously thought, in PBP2x(R) resistance to beta-lactams...
- Molecular epidemiology of clinical and carrier strains of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in the hospital settings of north IndiaJavid A Dar
Microbiology Division, Institute of Ophthalmology, J, N, Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 5:22. 2006....
- Functional Consequence of Macrolide Resistance Mutations in T. pallidumSheila A Lukehart; Fiscal Year: 2012..Benzathine penicillin G, used to treat syphilis for the past 50 years, has many disadvantages, including pain at injection sites, the ..
- Duration of Intrapartum Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Group B StreptococcusJessica L Illuzzi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Current protocols from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that intrapartum penicillin G prophylaxis be administered at least 4 hours prior to delivery...
- Lumbar Puncture and Syphilis OutcomeChristina M Marra; Fiscal Year: 2013..Treponema pallidum invades the central nervous system (CNS) early in disease, and benzathine penicillin G (BPG), the recommended treatment for uncomplicated syphilis, does not achieve treponemacidal CSF drug levels...
- NEW METHODS IN SOLID STATE CRYOENZYMOLOGYJeremy Evans; Fiscal Year: 1990..Initial studies will focus on small molecules (e.g. penicillin G) examined by solid-state NMR spectroscopy under a wide range of conditions...
- Enteropathogenic and Toxigenic E.coli InteractionsJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Host Cell Killing by EPEC: Central Role in PathogenesisJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..coli (RDEC-1) and rabbit EPEC (REPEC). ..
- Trafficking/signaling of P2Y receptors in polarized epithelial cellsRobert A Nicholas; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our studies will provide novel and important information on the cellular mechanisms of P2Y receptor targeting and the regulation of P2Y receptor signaling activity in epithelial cells. ..
- Effect of Zinc in Enteropathogenic E. coli InfectionJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- GABAa receptor regulation and trafficking in C. elegansBruce Bamber; Fiscal Year: 2003..Because cellular processes are generally well-conserved between C. elegans and humans, insights from these studies could lead to improved treatments for anxiety disorders based on modulating GABAA receptor abundance at synapses. ..
- Mechanisms of antibiotic action in Neisseria gonorrhoeae.Robert A Nicholas; Fiscal Year: 2010..Together, these projects utilize genetic, biochemical, biophysical, and proteomics approaches to generate new insights into the mechanisms of antibiotic action in N. gonorrhoeae. ..
- In Situ Detection of Host-Spirochete Interaction by Iso*Ruth Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2002..burgdorferi. In summary, this proposal employs a novel and powerful technique to address several possible mechanisms of spirochetal evasion of the immune system. ..
- REGULATION OF SECRETION FROM HUMAN BASOPHILSDonald MacGlashan; Fiscal Year: 2009..A population of subjects will be examined for this relationship. ..
- Chemopreventive Activity of Selenium-Derivatives of Celecoxib in MelanomaKUMBLE SANDEEP PRABHU; Fiscal Year: 2008..Studies proposed here will be needed to adequately support the specific aims of a large grant application. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanism of Vector Saliva Inhibition of Innate ImmunityRuth Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Zeiss LSM 510 Confocal Microscope for Medical ResearchRuth Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus this confocal microscope would be the basis of a core facility to assure that these investigators will have adequate access to state-of-the-art imaging techniques. ..
- Population-based Surveillance for Zoonotic Influenza AGregory Gray; Fiscal Year: 2005..We are particularly well suited to conduct this work as we have extensive experience conducting both epidemiological and laboratory-based studies of respiratory pathogens. ..
- Human Metapneumovirus in High Risk PopulationsGregory Gray; Fiscal Year: 2005..These data will facilitate the development of more comprehensive epidemiological studies, and guide future intervention studies in reducing HMPV morbidity. ..
- MODELS FOR TESTING CANDIDATE TOPICAL MICROBICIDES FOR CYTOTOXICITY AND ACTIVITY AMary Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..