Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pyrimidine inhibitor of dihydrofolate reductase, it is an antibacterial related to PYRIMETHAMINE. The interference with folic acid metabolism may cause a depression of hematopoiesis. It is potentiated by SULFONAMIDES and the TRIMETHOPRIM-SULFAMETHOXAZOLE COMBINATION is the form most often used. It is sometimes used alone as an antimalarial. TRIMETHOPRIM RESISTANCE has been reported.
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- Resistance to trimethoprim and sulfonamidesO Skold
Division of Microbiology, Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Sweden
Vet Res 32:261-73. 2001Sulfonamides and trimethoprim have been used for many decades as efficient and inexpensive antibacterial agents for animals and man. Resistance to both has, however, spread extensively and rapidly...
- Molecular characterisation of trimethoprim resistance in Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae during a two year intervention on trimethoprim useAlma Brolund
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, Division of Clinical Microbiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS ONE 5:e9233. 2010b>Trimethoprim resistance is increasing in Enterobacteriaceae. In 2004-2006 an intervention on trimethoprim use was conducted in Kronoberg County, Sweden, resulting in 85% reduction in trimethoprim prescriptions...
- Integrons and gene cassettes in the enterobacteriaceaeP A White
Virology Division, Department of Microbiology, SEALS, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney NSW 2031, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:2658-61. 2001..PCR sequencing analysis of the cassette arrays revealed a predominance of cassettes that confer resistance to the aminoglycosides and trimethoprim.
- Live-cell super-resolution imaging with trimethoprim conjugatesRichard Wombacher
Department of Chemistry, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Nat Methods 7:717-9. 2010..This label allowed us to image the dynamics of human histone H2B protein in living cells at approximately 20 nm resolution...
- Multiresidue determination of fluoroquinolone, sulfonamide, trimethoprim, and chloramphenicol antibiotics in urban waters in ChinaXianzhi Peng
State Key Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, Guangzhou Institute for Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, People s Republic of China
Environ Toxicol Chem 27:73-9. 2008..optimized to simultaneously determine multiclass antibiotic residues, including sulfonamides, fluoroquinolones, trimethoprim, and chloramphenicol in urban riverine water and wastewater by off-line solid phase extraction and high-..
- Cranberry or trimethoprim for the prevention of recurrent urinary tract infections? A randomized controlled trial in older womenMarion E T McMurdo
Ageing and Health, Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:389-95. 2009To compare the effectiveness of cranberry extract with low-dose trimethoprim in the prevention of recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs) in older women.
- Trimethoprim and ciprofloxacin resistance and prescribing in urinary tract infection associated with Escherichia coli: a multilevel modelAkke Vellinga
Discipline of Bacteriology, NUI Galway, Galway, Ireland
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:2523-30. 2012..Individual and group level factors associated with the probability of antimicrobial resistance of uropathogenic Escherichia coli were analysed in a multilevel model...
- Little evidence for reversibility of trimethoprim resistance after a drastic reduction in trimethoprim useM Sundqvist
Department of Medical Sciences, Section of Infectious Diseases, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala University, S 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:350-60. 2010..Resistance may thus be reversible if antibiotic use is discontinued or reduced. To examine this concept, we performed a 24 month voluntary restriction on the use of trimethoprim-containing drugs in Kronoberg County, Sweden.
- Regional dissemination of a trimethoprim-resistance gene cassette via a successful transposable elementAmy S Labar
Department of Biology, Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e38142. 2012Antimicrobial resistance is a growing international problem. We observed a 50% increase in the prevalence of trimethoprim resistance among fecal Escherichia coli from healthy Nigerian students between 1998 and 2005, a trend to increase ..
- A naturally occurring gene amplification leading to sulfonamide and trimethoprim resistance in Streptococcus agalactiaeMathieu Brochet
Unité de Génomique des Microorganismes Pathogènes, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Bacteriol 190:672-80. 2008..5-kb tandem amplification carried the five genes required for dihydrofolate biosynthesis and led to both trimethoprim (TMP) and sulfonamide (SU) resistance...
- A general chemical method to regulate protein stability in the mammalian central nervous systemMari Iwamoto
Department of Chemical and Systems Biology, Stanford University, CA 94305, USA
Chem Biol 17:981-8. 2010..A small-molecule ligand trimethoprim (TMP) stabilizes the destabilizing domain in a rapid, reversible, and dose-dependent manner, and protein levels ..
- Prospective, randomized, multicentric, open, comparative study on the efficacy of a prophylactic single dose of 500 mg levofloxacin versus 1920 mg trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole versus a control group in patients undergoing TUR of the prostateF M E Wagenlehner
Urologic Clinic, Hospital St Elisabeth, St Elisabeth Str 23, D 94315 Straubing, Germany
Eur Urol 47:549-56. 2005..The efficacy of a prophylactic single dose of levofloxacin vs. trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMZ) vs...
- Multiple mutations modulate the function of dihydrofolate reductase in trimethoprim-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniaeJ P Maskell
Department of Medical Microbiology, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London E1 2AD, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:1104-8. 2001b>Trimethoprim resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae can be conferred by a single amino acid substitution (I100-L) in dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), but resistant clinical isolates usually carry multiple DHFR mutations...
- Distribution of macrolides, sulfonamides, and trimethoprim in tropical waters: ubiquitous occurrence of veterinary antibiotics in the Mekong DeltaSatoshi Managaki
Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, Institute of Symbiotic Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8509, Japan
Environ Sci Technol 41:8004-10. 2007We investigated the distributions of 12 antibiotics (viz., sulfonamides, macrolides, and trimethoprim) in the water from the Mekong Delta, Vietnam, and compared them with those in the Tamagawa River, Japan...
- In vitro efficacy of new antifolates against trimethoprim-resistant Bacillus anthracisEsther W Barrow
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, 250 McElroy, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:4447-52. 2007Bacillus anthracis is innately resistant to trimethoprim (TMP), a synthetic antifolate that selectively inhibits several bacterial dihydrofolate reductases (DHFRs) but not human DHFR...
- The association of DNA damage response and nucleotide level modulation with the antibacterial mechanism of the anti-folate drug trimethoprimDipen P Sangurdekar
Lewis Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics, Princeton University, 132 Carl C Icahn Laboratory, Princeton University, Washington Road, Princeton NJ 08540, USA
BMC Genomics 12:583. 2011b>Trimethoprim is a widely prescribed antibiotic for a variety of bacterial infections. It belongs to a class of anti-metabolites - antifolates - which includes drugs used against malarial parasites and in cancer therapy...
- Susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim and their combination over a 12 year period in TaiwanTsi Shu Huang
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:633-7. 2012..was designed to determine the susceptibility of clinical isolates of multidrug-resistant (MDR) and non-MDR Mycobacterium tuberculosis to sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole over a 12 year period in Taiwan.
- The BpeEF-OprC efflux pump is responsible for widespread trimethoprim resistance in clinical and environmental Burkholderia pseudomallei isolatesNicole L Podnecky
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 57:4381-6. 2013b>Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (co-trimoxazole) is the primary drug used for oral eradication therapy of Burkholderia pseudomallei infections (melioidosis)...
- Massive overproduction of dihydrofolate reductase in bacteria as a response to the use of trimethoprimJ Flensburg
Eur J Biochem 162:473-6. 1987..of chromosomal dihydrofolate reductase as a cause of resistance to high concentrations of the antifolate drug trimethoprim, in clinically isolated bacteria, one is described here of a strain of Escherichia coli overproducing ..
- Evaluating the biodegradability of sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfathiazole, and trimethoprim at different stages of sewage treatmentSandra Perez
The State University of New York at Buffalo, Chemistry Department, 611 Natural Sciences Complex, Buffalo, New York 14260 3000, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:1361-7. 2005The aerobic biodegradability of four antimicrobials (sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfathiazole, and trimethoprim) was investigated in sewage collected at four treatment stages (primary treatment, activated sludge treatment, aerobic ..
- Infectious keratitis after photorefractive keratectomyEric D Donnenfeld
Department of Ophthalmology, Nassau University Medical Center, East Meadow, New York, USA
Ophthalmology 110:743-7. 2003..To elucidate risk factors, microbial culture results, and visual outcomes for infectious keratitis after photorefractive keratectomy (PRK)...
- Crystal structures of wild-type and mutant methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus dihydrofolate reductase reveal an alternate conformation of NADPH that may be linked to trimethoprim resistanceKathleen M Frey
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Connecticut, 69 N Eagleville Rd, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
J Mol Biol 387:1298-308. 2009..b>Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMZ) is an alternative treatment for methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) infections...
- Identification of a novel trimethoprim resistance gene, dfrK, in a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST398 strain and its physical linkage to the tetracycline resistance gene tet(L)Kristina Kadlec
Institute of Farm Animal Genetics, Friedrich Loeffler Institute, Neustadt Mariensee, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:776-8. 2009A novel trimethoprim resistance gene, designated dfrK, was detected in close proximity to the tetracycline resistance gene tet(L) on the ca...
- A multilevel analysis of trimethoprim and ciprofloxacin prescribing and resistance of uropathogenic Escherichia coli in general practiceAkke Vellinga
Discipline of General Practice, School of Medicine, NUI Galway, Ireland
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:1514-20. 2010A retrospective analysis of databases was performed to describe trimethoprim and ciprofloxacin prescribing and resistance in Escherichia coli within general practices in the West of Ireland from 2004 to 2008.
- Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-induced hyperkalemia in patients receiving inhibitors of the renin-angiotensin system: a population-based studyTony Antoniou
Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 170:1045-9. 2010b>Trimethoprim therapy can cause hyperkalemia and is often coprescribed with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs) or angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs)...
- Characterization of a novel trimethoprim resistance gene, dfrA28, in class 1 integron of an oligotrophic Acinetobacter johnsonii strain, MB52, isolated from River Mahananda, IndiaArvind Kumar
Microbial Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology, University of North Bengal, Siliguri, India
Microb Drug Resist 16:29-37. 2010..4% amino acid identity with DfrA1. A gene for streptomycin resistance, aminoglycoside adenyl transferase aadA1, was located downstream of dfrA28. Phylogenetic analysis of MB52 identified it as a strain of Acinetobacter johnsonii...
- Textural properties and surface chemistry of lotus stalk-derived activated carbons prepared using different phosphorus oxyacids: adsorption of trimethoprimHai Liu
Shandong Key Laboratory of Water Pollution Control and Resource Reuse, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Shandong University, Jinan 250100, China
J Hazard Mater 235:367-75. 2012..Batched sorption studies were performed to compare adsorptive properties of the carbons toward trimethoprim (TMP)...
- Increased treatment failure after 3-days' courses of nitrofurantoin and trimethoprim for urinary tract infections in women: a population-based retrospective cohort study using the PHARMO databaseWim G Goettsch
PHARMO Institute, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Clin Pharmacol 58:184-9. 2004..To assess determinants of treatment failure after antimicrobial therapy of urinary tract infections in women...
- The efficacy of trimethoprim in wound healing of patients with epidermolysis bullosa: a feasibility trialIrene Lara-Corrales
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Am Acad Dermatol 66:264-70. 2012..There are no systemic therapies known to facilitate wound healing in patients with recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (RDEB)...
- Prospective randomized trial of empiric therapy with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or doxycycline for outpatient skin and soft tissue infections in an area of high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusMary Jo Cenizal
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2628-30. 2007To evaluate empirical therapy with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or doxycycline for outpatient skin and soft tissue infections in an area of high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a randomized, prospective, open-..
- Cholestatic hepatitis with severe systemic reactions induced by trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazoleG Kouklakis
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Department, 424 Army Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Ann Hepatol 6:63-5. 2007b>Trimethoprim-Sulfomethoxazole (TMP-SMX) related hepatotoxicity and associated severe systemic reaction are not frequent and documented only in case reports...
- Functional cloning of Bacillus anthracis dihydrofolate reductase and confirmation of natural resistance to trimethoprimEsther W Barrow
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4643-9. 2004Bacillus anthracis is reported to be naturally resistant to trimethoprim (TMP), a drug that inhibits dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), a key enzyme in the folate pathway. A microdilution broth assay established that the MIC of TMP for B...
- Inclusion complex of trimethoprim with beta-cyclodextrinNing Li
College of Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology, Tianjin University, Tianjin 300072, PR China
J Pharm Biomed Anal 39:824-9. 2005The complexation of trimethoprim (TMP) with beta-cyclodextrin (beta-CD) was studied...
- Extraction and determination of sulfonamides, macrolides, and trimethoprim in sewage sludgeAnke a Göbel
Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology EAWAG, Dubendorf, Switzerland
J Chromatogr A 1085:179-89. 2005..PLE) was optimized and validated for the determination of sulfonamide and macrolide antimicrobials and trimethoprim in sewage sludge samples...
- Improved trimethoprim-resistance cassette for prokaryotic selectionsYoung Bae Kim
Center for Computational and Integrative Biology CCIB, Massachusetts General Hospital and Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Biosci Bioeng 108:441-5. 2009..here the construction of a Type IIa dfr prokaryotic expression cassette that confers strong resistance against trimethoprim (Tmp), a bactericidal dfr inhibiting antibiotic...
- Trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole are selective inhibitors of CYP2C8 and CYP2C9, respectivelyXia Wen
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Drug Metab Dispos 30:631-5. 2002To evaluate the inhibitory effects of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole on cytochrome P450 (P450) isoforms, selective marker reactions for CYP1A2, CYP2A6, CYP2C8, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP2E1, and CYP3A4 were examined in human liver ..
- Comparative study of the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine-trimethoprim versus artemether-lumefantrine in the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Cameroon, Ivory Coast and SenegalHerve Menan
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Cocody, Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
Malar J 10:185. 2011..The combination of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine phosphate-trimethoprim (Artecom®, Odypharm Ltd), which involves treatment over two days, appears to be a good alternative, ..
- First detection of the staphylococcal trimethoprim resistance gene dfrK and the dfrK-carrying transposon Tn559 in enterococciMaria Lopez
Area Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Universidad de La Rioja, Logrono, Spain
Microb Drug Resist 18:13-8. 2012The trimethoprim resistance gene dfrK has been recently described in Staphylococcus aureus, but so far has not been found in other bacteria. A total of 166 enterococci of different species (E. faecium, E. faecalis, E. hirae, E. durans, E...
- New insights into DHFR interactions: analysis of Pneumocystis carinii and mouse DHFR complexes with NADPH and two highly potent 5-(omega-carboxy(alkyloxy) trimethoprim derivatives reveals conformational correlations with activity and novel parallel ring sVivian Cody
Department of Structural Biology, Hauptman Woodward Medical Research Institute, Buffalo, New York 14203, USA
Proteins 65:959-69. 2006..A unique His174-His187 parallel ring stacking interaction was also observed only in the structure of pcDHFR. These ring stacking interactions are rarely found in any other protein families and may serve to enhance protein stability...
- Distribution of integron-associated trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance determinants among Escherichia coli from humans and food-producing animalsP L Ho
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Microbiology and Centre of Infection, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Lett Appl Microbiol 49:627-34. 2009To compare the distribution of integrons and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance genes among Escherichia coli isolates from humans and food-producing animals.
- Prophylactic trimethoprim-sulfadiazine during chemotherapy in dogs with lymphoma and osteosarcoma: a double-blind, placebo-controlled studyJ D Chretin
Harrington Oncology Program, Tufts University, North Grafton, MA, USA
J Vet Intern Med 21:141-8. 2007..The administration of chemotherapy is associated with risk for morbidity. Management of chemotherapy-related morbidity in veterinary oncology has been primarily supportive...
- Dosing regimens of cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) for melioidosisAllen C Cheng
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4193-9. 2009..A pharmacokinetic (PK) simulation study was performed to determine the optimal dosing of cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole [TMP-SMX]) used in current eradication regimens in Thailand and Australia...
- Crystal structure of Bacillus anthracis dihydrofolate reductase with the dihydrophthalazine-based trimethoprim derivative RAB1 provides a structural explanation of potency and selectivityChristina R Bourne
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:3065-73. 2009Bacillus anthracis possesses an innate resistance to the antibiotic trimethoprim due to poor binding to dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR); currently, there are no commercial antibacterials that target this enzyme in B. anthracis...
- Bilateral acute anterior uveitis as a side effect of trimethoprimS Pathak
Eye (Lond) 21:252-3. 2007
- H-point standard additions method for simultaneous determination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim in pharmaceutical formulations and biological fluids with simultaneous addition of two analytesM H Givianrad
Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, Department of Chemistry, Tehran, Iran
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 78:1196-200. 2011..additions method (HPSAM) to the resolving of overlapping spectra corresponding to the sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is verified by UV-vis spectrophotometry...
- The combination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, and isoniazid or rifampin is bactericidal and prevents the emergence of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisCatherine Vilcheze
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:5142-8. 2012..To overcome these issues, we reexamined two FDA-approved antibacterial drugs, sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and trimethoprim (TMP), for use in TB treatment...
- Solid phase microextraction of macrolide, trimethoprim, and sulfonamide antibiotics in wastewatersEvelyn L McClure
Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2G2, Canada
J Chromatogr A 1169:53-62. 2007..microextraction (SPME) method for the simultaneous collection of antibiotics (sulfonamides, macrolides, and trimethoprim) present in wastewaters...
- CV8, a new combination of dihydroartemisinin, piperaquine, trimethoprim and primaquine, compared with atovaquone-proguanil against falciparum malaria in VietnamPhan T Giao
Division of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine and AIDS, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trop Med Int Health 9:209-16. 2004..To study a new combination, based on dihydroartemisinin and piperaquine (CV8) and atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone) for treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Vietnam...
- Shoot bud regeneration from different explants of Bacopa monniera (L.) Wettst. by trimethoprim and bavistinVaibhav Tiwari
Faculty of Sciences, School of Biotechnology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, 221005, UP, India
Plant Cell Rep 25:629-35. 2006..by culturing internode and leaf explants on Murashige and Skoog's (MS) medium supplemented with an antibiotic (trimethoprim) or a fungicide (bavistin)...
- Trimethoprim as adjuvant treatment in schizophrenia: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trialTeshome Shibre
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Schizophr Bull 36:846-51. 2010..and at least moderately severe schizophrenia from Butajira, in rural Ethiopia, were randomly allocated to trimethoprim or placebo, which were added on to participants' regular antipsychotic treatments...
- [Colonic malacoplakia treated with sulfamethizole and trimethoprim]Mikkel Christensen
Medicinsk afdeling, Amager Hospital, Denmark
Ugeskr Laeger 173:509-10. 2011..The condition resolved during three months of antibiotic treatment with sulfamethizole and trimethoprim.
- Determination of six sulfonamide antibiotics, two metabolites and trimethoprim in wastewater by isotope dilution liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometryNhat Le-Minh
UNSW Water Research Centre, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of New South Wales, NSW 2052, Australia
Talanta 89:407-16. 2012..N(4)-acetyl sulfamethazine and N(4)-acetyl sulfamethoxazole) and the commonly co-applied antibiotic trimethoprim was developed for the analysis of complex wastewater samples...
- Evidencing generation of persistent ozonation products of antibiotics roxithromycin and trimethoprimJ Radjenovic
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IDAEA CSIC, c Jordi irona 18 26, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 43:6808-15. 2009..two widely used antimicrobial agents, macrolide roxithromycin and inhibitor of dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) trimethoprim was studied in laboratory-scale experiments with two types of matrix: distilled water and secondary wastewater ..
- A multimedia activity model for ionizable compounds: validation study with 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid, aniline, and trimethoprimAntonio Franco
Department of Environmental Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Miljoevej, Building 113, DK 2800 Kgs Lyngby, Denmark
Environ Toxicol Chem 29:789-99. 2010..molecules (MAMI) was developed and tested for 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid and the bases aniline and trimethoprim. The model features pH and ionic strength dependence and species-specific estimations of partition coefficients ..
- Simultaneous analysis of 16 sulfonamide and trimethoprim antibiotics in environmental waters by liquid chromatography-electrospray tandem mass spectrometryHong Chang
College of Urban and Environmental Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
J Chromatogr A 1190:390-3. 2008..combined with solid-phase extraction and silica cartridge cleanup was established for 16 sulfonamides and trimethoprim in various water matrices...
- Preparation of alumina-coated magnetite nanoparticle for extraction of trimethoprim from environmental water samples based on mixed hemimicelles solid-phase extractionLei Sun
College of Chemistry, Jilin University, 2699 Qianjin Street, Changchun 130012, China
Anal Chim Acta 638:162-8. 2009..by the surfactant sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) has been successfully synthesized and applied for extraction of trimethoprim (TMP) from environmental water samples based on mixed hemimicelles solid-phase extraction (MHSPE)...
- Analysis of mutational resistance to trimethoprim in Staphylococcus aureus by genetic and structural modelling techniquesAnna A Vickers
Antimicrobial Research Centre and Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Leeds, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:1112-7. 2009This study sought to expand knowledge on the molecular mechanisms of mutational resistance to trimethoprim in Staphylococcus aureus, and the fitness costs associated with resistance.
- Relative sensitivity of fish and mammalian cells to the antibiotic, trimethoprim: cytotoxic and genotoxic responses as determined by neutral red retention, Comet and micronucleus assaysElena Papis
School of Biomedical and Biological Sciences, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, PL4 8AA, UK
Ecotoxicology 20:208-17. 2011Relative cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of a widely used antibiotic, trimethoprim (TRIMP) was evaluated under in vitro conditions using rainbow trout gonad-2 (RTG-2) and Chinese hamster ovary-K1 (CHO-K1) cells...
- Trimethoprim-induced hyperkalaemia: clinical data, mechanism, prevention and managementM A Perazella
Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8029, USA
Drug Saf 22:227-36. 2000Cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) is a combination antimicrobial that is frequently used to treat a wide variety of infections...
- Occurrences and ecological risks of roxithromycin, trimethoprim, and chloramphenicol in the Han River, KoreaKyungho Choi
School of Public Health, Seoul National University, Seoul 110 799, Korea
Environ Toxicol Chem 27:711-9. 2008We evaluated the occurrence of three antibiotics (roxithromycin, trimethoprim, and chloramphenicol) in surface water and effluents from several sewage treatment plants (STPs) on the Han River, Korea...
- The effect of trimethoprim on potassium and uric acid metabolism in normal human subjectsB R Don
Division of Nephrology, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento 95817, USA
Clin Nephrol 55:45-52. 2001b>Trimethoprim used in combination with other antibiotics, has been implicated in causing hyperkalemia and hypouricemia in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS)...
- Trimethoprim and enterococci in urinary tract infections: new perspectives on an old issueKarin Tegmark Wisell
Department of Antibiotic Resistance and Hospital Hygiene, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, 17182 Solna, Sweden
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:35-40. 2008..oral treatment alternatives for enterococcal urinary tract infections (UTIs) has led to a renewed interest in trimethoprim. Enterococci can incorporate exogenously produced folates and thereby reverse the effect of trimethoprim...
- Ciprofloxacin and trimethoprim cause phage induction and virulence modulation in Staphylococcus aureusChristiane Goerke
Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, Elfriede Aulhorn Str 6, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:171-7. 2006..Here, we analyzed the effects of ciprofloxacin and trimethoprim on phage induction and expression of phage-encoded virulence factors by using isolates from patients with ..
- Effect of mutations in Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene on outcome of P carinii pneumonia in patients with HIV-1: a prospective studyT R Navin
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious, Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, United States Public Health Service, Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA, USA
Lancet 358:545-9. 2001..Our results suggest that presence of a DHPS mutation should be only one of several criteria guiding the choice of initial drug treatment of P carinii pneumonia in patients with HIV-1 infection...
- NMR-based solution structure of the complex of Lactobacillus casei dihydrofolate reductase with trimethoprim and NADPHVladimir I Polshakov
J Biomol NMR 24:67-70. 2002
- Simultaneous determination of dexamethasone and trimethoprim by liquid chromatographyJ M Lemus Gallego
Department of Analytical Chemistry and Food Technology, Facultad de Ciencias Qui micas, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, 13071, Ciudad Real, Spain
J Pharm Biomed Anal 30:1255-61. 2002A reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) method to determine dexamethasone phosphate and trimethoprim is described in this paper...
- Antifolate-induced depletion of intracellular glycine and purines inhibits thymineless death in E. coliYun Kyung Kwon
Department of Chemistry and Lewis Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics, Princeton University, New Jersey 08544, USA
ACS Chem Biol 5:787-95. 2010..Here we employ metabolomics to examine the complete metabolic effects of the antibiotic trimethoprim in E. coli. In rich media, trimethoprim treatment causes thymineless death...
- New integron-associated gene cassette encoding a trimethoprim-resistant DfrB-type dihydrofolate reductaseRenee S Levings
New South Wales Department of Primary Industries, Elizabeth Macarthur Agricultural Institute, Camden, NSW, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2863-5. 2006..This array was isolated from several multiply antibiotic-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Infantis strains that appear to be clonally related. The DfrB6 dihydrofolate reductase conferred resistance to trimethoprim.
- Class I integrons containing a dhfrI trimethoprim resistance gene cassette in aquatic Acinetobacter sppA Petersen
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Stigbojlen 4, DK 1870, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
FEMS Microbiol Lett 182:73-6. 2000..Each isolate contained a dhfrI gene cassette encoding resistance to trimethoprim and an open reading frame orfC of unknown function identical to the content of an integron previously found in ..
- Method for regulated expression of single-copy efflux pump genes in a surrogate Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain: identification of the BpeEF-OprC chloramphenicol and trimethoprim efflux pump of Burkholderia pseudomallei 1026bAyush Kumar
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1682, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3460-3. 2006..Using this method, the Burkholderia pseudomallei bpeEF-oprC operon was shown to encode a chloramphenicol and trimethoprim efflux pump.
- Febrile urinary tract infection in children: ampicillin and trimethoprim insufficient as empirical mono-therapyMartina Prelog
Department of Pediatrics, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Pediatr Nephrol 23:597-602. 2008..coli against trimethoprim (TMP), trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (SXT) or ampicillin (AMP)...
- No pharmacokinetic interaction between paliperidone extended-release tablets and trimethoprim in healthy subjectsAn Thyssen
Johnson and Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Beerse, Belgium
Hum Psychopharmacol 24:532-9. 2009The effect of trimethoprim, a potent organic cation transport inhibitor, on the pharmacokinetics (PK) of paliperidone extended-release tablets (paliperidone ER), an organic cation mainly eliminated via renal excretion, was assessed.
- Directed evolution of trimethoprim resistance in Escherichia coliMorgan Watson
Research School of Chemistry, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
FEBS J 274:2661-71. 2007..It is used in this study to investigate the means by which resistance to the antibiotic trimethoprim develops in dihyrofolate reductase from Escherichia coli...
- Trimethoprim and the CYP2C8*3 allele have opposite effects on the pharmacokinetics of pioglitazoneAleksi Tornio
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Drug Metab Dispos 36:73-80. 2008We studied the effects of the CYP2C8 inhibitor trimethoprim and CYP2C8 genotype on the pharmacokinetics of the antidiabetic pioglitazone...
- dfrA20, A novel trimethoprim resistance gene from Pasteurella multocidaCorinna Kehrenberg
Institut für Tierzucht, Bundesforschungsanstalt für Landwirtschaft, Höltystr 10, 31535 Neustadt Mariensee, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:414-7. 2005A novel trimethoprim resistance gene, designated dfrA20, was detected on the 11-kb plasmid pCCK154 from Pasteurella multocida. The dfrA20 gene codes for a dihydrofolate reductase of 169 amino acids...
- Effects of co-operative ligand binding on protein amide NH hydrogen exchangeVladimir I Polshakov
Division of Molecular Structure, National Institute for Medical Research The Ridgeway, Mill Hill London NW7 1AA, UK
J Mol Biol 356:886-903. 2006..rates measured on assigned signals from Lactobacillus casei apo-DHFR and its binary and ternary complexes with trimethoprim (TMP), folinic acid and coenzymes (NADPH/NADP(+))...
- New gene cassettes for trimethoprim resistance, dfr13, and Streptomycin-spectinomycin resistance, aadA4, inserted on a class 1 integronP V Adrian
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of the Witwatersrand, and the South African Institute for Medical Research, Johannesburg, South Africa
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:355-61. 2000In a previous survey of 357 trimethoprim-resistant isolates of aerobic gram-negative bacteria from commensal fecal flora, hybridization experiments showed that 25% (90 of 357) of the isolates failed to hybridize to specific ..
- Trace analysis of trimethoprim and sulfonamide, macrolide, quinolone, and tetracycline antibiotics in chlorinated drinking water using liquid chromatography electrospray tandem mass spectrometryZhengqi Ye
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7431, USA
Anal Chem 79:1135-44. 2007..determination of 24 antibiotics including 7 sulfonamides, 3 macrolides, 7 quinolones, 6 tetracyclines, and trimethoprim in chlorine-disinfected drinking water using a single solid-phase extraction method coupled to liquid ..
- Resistance to tetracycline, macrolide-lincosamide-streptogramin, trimethoprim, and sulfonamide drug classesMarilyn C Roberts
Department of Pathobiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Mol Biotechnol 20:261-83. 2002..In this article, we will examine the genes which confer resistance to tetracycline, macrolide-lincosamide-streptogramin (MLS), trimethoprim, and sulfonamide.
- Trimethoprim: novel reactive intermediates and bioactivation pathways by cytochrome p450sMicaela C Damsten
LACDR Division of Molecular Toxicology, Department of Pharmacochemistry, Vrije Universiteit, De Boelelaan 1083, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Chem Res Toxicol 21:2181-7. 2008b>Trimethoprim (TMP) is a widely used antibacterial agent that is usually considered as a safe drug. TMP has, however, been implicated in rare adverse drug reactions (ADRs) in humans...
- Solution structure of human dihydrofolate reductase in its complex with trimethoprim and NADPHNadezhda V Kovalevskaya
Center for Drug Chemistry, Moscow, 119815, Russia
J Biomol NMR 33:69-72. 2005
- Occurrence and sorption behavior of sulfonamides, macrolides, and trimethoprim in activated sludge treatmentAnke Göbel
Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology EAWAG, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 39:3981-9. 2005The occurrence of sulfonamide and macrolide antimicrobials, as well as trimethoprim, was investigated in conventional activated sludge treatment...
- A multicenter comparison of polymyxin B sulfate/trimethoprim ophthalmic solution and moxifloxacin in the speed of clinical efficacy for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitisDavid B Granet
Ratner Children s Eye Center, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 45:340-9. 2008To compare the speed of clinical efficacy for two currently available topical antibiotics: polymyxin B sulfate/trimethoprim (polymyxin/trimethoprim) and 0.5% moxifloxacin ophthalmic solution.
- Oral ciprofloxacin or trimethoprim reduces bacteriuria after flexible cystoscopyMark I Johnson
Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
BJU Int 100:826-9. 2007....
- An orthogonal dexamethasone-trimethoprim yeast three-hybrid systemSarah S Gallagher
Department of Chemistry, Columbia University, Havemeyer Hall, MC 3111, 3000 Broadway, New York, NY 10027, USA
Anal Biochem 363:160-2. 2007
- Behavior of fluoroquinolones and trimethoprim during mechanical, chemical, and active sludge treatment of sewage water and digestion of sludgeRichard H Lindberg
Environmental Chemistry, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Environ Sci Technol 40:1042-8. 2006..of three fluoroquinolones (norfloxacin, ofloxacin, and ciprofloxacin), one sulfonamide (sulfamethoxazole), and trimethoprim were investigated at a sewage treatment plant in Umeå, Sweden, in 2004...
- Fate of sulfonamides, macrolides, and trimethoprim in different wastewater treatment technologiesAnke Göbel
Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology EAWAG, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Sci Total Environ 372:361-71. 2007The elimination of sulfonamides, macrolides and trimethoprim from raw wastewater was investigated in several municipal wastewater treatment plants. Primary treatment provided no significant elimination for the investigated substances...
- Rapid antibiotic sensitivity testing and trimethoprim-mediated filamentation of clinical isolates of the Enterobacteriaceae assayed on a novel porous culture supportColin J Ingham
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infection Control, Jeroen Bosch Hospital, Nieuwstraat 34, 5211 NL s Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
J Med Microbiol 55:1511-9. 2006..the growth of clinical isolates, with the primary focus on testing the response of the Enterobacteriaceae to trimethoprim, but with the method supporting a wider applicability in terms of strains and antibiotics...
- Clinical relevance of laboratory-reported antibiotic resistance in acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection in primary careC A M McNulty
Health Protection Agency Primary Care Unit, Microbiology Department, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Great Western Road, Gloucester, and Microbiology Department, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust, Norwich, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:1000-8. 2006..patients with an uncomplicated community-acquired urinary tract infection (UTI) and an isolate resistant to trimethoprim had worse clinical outcomes following empirical treatment with trimethoprim 200 mg twice daily for 3 days than ..
- Increased rates of trimethoprim resistance in uncomplicated urinary tract infection: cause for concern?Dee Mangin
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Christchurch, New Zealand
N Z Med J 118:U1726. 2005To assess changes in trimethoprim resistance over 2 years in bacteria causing uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTIs) presenting to a representative group of general practitioners (GPs) in Christchurch.
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia resistant to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole: an increasing problemAsma Marzouq Al-Jasser
Department of Microbiology, Armed Forces Hospital, Box X 966, P O Box 7897, Riyadh 11159, Saudi Arabia
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 5:23. 2006..b>Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP - SXT) is recommended as the agent of choice for the treatment of S...
- In vivo protein labeling with trimethoprim conjugates: a flexible chemical tagLawrence W Miller
Department of Chemistry, Columbia University, New York 10027, USA
Nat Methods 2:255-7. 2005..Here we demonstrate that trimethoprim derivatives can be used to selectively tag Escherichia coli dihydrofolate reductase (eDHFR) fusion proteins in ..
- Dihydrofolate reductase and dihydropteroate synthase genotypes associated with in vitro resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to pyrimethamine, trimethoprim, sulfadoxine, and sulfamethoxazoleInsaf Khalil
Center for Medical Parasitology, Institute of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Copenhagen, Panum Institute, Denmark
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:586-9. 2003A total of 70 Plasmodium falciparum isolates were tested in vitro against pyrimethamine (PYR), trimethoprim (TRM), sulfadoxine (SDX), and sulfamethoxazole (SMX), and their dihydrofolate reductase (dhfr) and dihydropteroate synthase (dhps) ..
- Evaluation of the effect of sulphametoxazole and trimethoprim in patients with Machado-Joseph diseaseM Correia
Neurology Department, , Porto, Portugal
Rev Neurol 23:632-4. 1995..reporting some improvement in spasticity and gait in two patients with MJD treated with sulphamethoxazole and trimethoprim (Bactrim), we carried out a double-blind, placebo controlled cross-over trial in eight patients...
- Prevalence of dfr genes associated with integrons and dissemination of dfrA17 among urinary isolates of Escherichia coli in KoreaHak Sun Yu
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, 101, Dongin Dong, Jung Gu, Daegu, 700 422, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:445-50. 2004The association of trimethoprim-resistant dfr genes with integrons was investigated in urinary Escherichia coli isolates in Korea from the last two decades.
- Prior trimethoprim use and trimethoprim-resistant urinary tract infection: a nested case-control study with multivariate analysis for other risk factorsD T Steinke
Medicines Monitoring Unit MEMO, Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Level 7, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 47:781-7. 2001b>Trimethoprim resistance is increasingly prevalent in community-acquired urinary infections...
- Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole-induced toxic epidermal necrolysisS See
St John s University College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, Jamaica, NY, USA
Ann Pharmacother 35:694-7. 2001To report a case of toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) associated with trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX).
- Comparative clinical trial of two-fixed combinations dihydroartemisinin-napthoquine-trimethoprim (DNP) and artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem/Riamet) in the treatment of acute uncomplicated falciparum malaria in ThailandS Krudsood
Department of Tropical Hygiene, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Ratchadewee, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 34:316-21. 2003..DNP, a combination of dihydroartemisinin with napthoquine and trimethoprim developed recently in China, has been evaluated in China, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand...
- The prevalence of trimethoprim-resistance-conferring dihydrofolate reductase genes in urinary isolates of Escherichia coli in KoreaJ C Lee
Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, Seonam University, Namwon, Chunpook 590 711, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 47:599-604. 2001One-hundred and twenty-two urinary isolates of Escherichia coli were studied for trimethoprim resistance. Seventy-seven (63.1%) of the 122 isolates were found to be resistant to trimethoprim...
- Topical bactrim versus trimethoprim and sulfonamide against nocardia keratitisL H Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, Westchester Medical Center, New York Medical College, Valhalla 10595, USA
Cornea 20:179-82. 2001The conventional treatment of Nocardia keratitis is with topical sulfonamides. Recently, topical trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) has been suggested as treatment...
- Trace determination of macrolide and sulfonamide antimicrobials, a human sulfonamide metabolite, and trimethoprim in wastewater using liquid chromatography coupled to electrospray tandem mass spectrometryAnke Göbel
Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology EAWAG, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Anal Chem 76:4756-64. 2004..of four macrolide antibiotics, six sulfonamides, the human metabolite N4-acetylsulfamethoxazole, and trimethoprim in wastewater...
- Molecular Basis of E. coli Adhesins in Bladder DisordersScott J Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indiscriminate use of antibiotics is leading to increased resistance to first-line empiric therapie such as trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole and the undesirable use of fluoroquinolones for empiric treatment of UTI...
- Pneumocystis jirovecii Targeted Antiopportunistic AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is particularly important with the leading OI, pneumonia (PCP), caused by Pneumocystis jirovecii. Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX), the combination of a dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) inhibitor (TMP) and a ..
- Multigenerational FamIlial and Environmental Risk for Autism (MINERvA) NetworkAbraham Reichenberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., sulfonamides and Trimethoprim. Aim 4: Using genomic DNA extracted from archived neonatal blood-spot samples, examine epigenetic changes in ..
- An Integrated Diagnostic System for Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility TestingVINCENT JEN JR GAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..An example of the problem was the rapid emergence of trimethoprim- sulfamethoxazole (SXT) resistant E. coli, which accounts for 85-90% of the UTIs in the community setting...
- Patient-Oriented Research and Mentoring in PneumocystisLaurence Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..in Kampala will investigate the non-invasive diagnosis of Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) and TB and will examine trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole drug resistance in Pneumocystis...
- HTS ASSAYS FOR INHIBITORS OF PROTEIN INTERACTIONS INCLUDING MLCK1-FKBP8Jerrold R Turner; Fiscal Year: 2012..This hypothesis rests on strong preliminary data showing that i) luminescent trimethoprim-terbium complex conjugates specifically label E...
- Molecular bssis of mef-mediated antibiotic resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniaeDavid S Stephens; Fiscal Year: 2010..pneumoniae has been facilitated through ORFs 3-5 by competence induction and by agents, e.g., trimethoprim-sulfa, fluoroquinolones, that induce an SOS stress response in pneumococci...
- Epidemic CA-MRSA: Molecular Epidemiology and ImmunologyRobert S Daum; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies utilizing the patients enrolled in the DMID-funded "Randomized, Double-Blind Trial of Clindamycin, Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole, or Placebo for Uncomplicated Skin and Soft Tissue Infections Caused by Community-Associated ..
- IMPDH-targeted antibiotics for select agentsLIZBETH K HEDSTROM; Fiscal Year: 2013..a rich source of drug targets such as dihydrofolate reductase, the target of the widely used antibacterial drug trimethoprim. IMP dehydrogenase (IMPDH) presents a similar therapeutic opportunity...
- Cranberry: Interactions with Anti-infectious AgentsGail Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The bacterial pathogens in UTI are typically responsive to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, quinolones, and the beta-lactams (penicillins, cephalosporins)...
- Mechanisms of risk for sulfoniamide hypersensitivityLauren A Trepanier; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sulfamethoxazole (SMX), in combination with trimethoprim (TMP), can lead to fever, skin rash and multi-organ toxicity, and is the leading cause of life-threatening ..
- Differences in infecting and colonizing Enterobacteriaceae from short-course vs sScott J Weissman; Fiscal Year: 2013..to receive either standard (10-day) or short-course (5-day) therapy with one of three antibiotic regimens: trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX);amoxicillin-clavulanate (AMC);or cefixime (CFX)/cefdinir (CFD)...
- Small molecule inhibitors of bacterial iron acquisition systemsHarry L Mobley; Fiscal Year: 2013..Infections are routinely treated with antibiotics including trimethoprim- sulfamethoxazole or quinolones...
- Clinical trial of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or chloroquine in adults on ARTMiriam K Laufer; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Targeting Bacillus DHFR: Structural Studies and Synthesis of InhibitorsAmy C Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Inhibitors of dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) have been used for decades to treat bacterial infections, however, trimethoprim, a clinically used DHFR inhibitor, is ineffective against B...
- Targeted lanthanide contrast agents for in cellulo single molecule imagingLawrence Miller; Fiscal Year: 2011..discoideium. In parallel, we propose (in Aim 4) to synthetically couple lanthanide probes to a ligand (trimethoprim) that is known to target small molecules to E. coli dihydrofolate reductase (eDHFR) fusion proteins...
- RIVUR StudyTej K Mattoo; Fiscal Year: 2012..the study hypotheses, a total of 600 children will be randomly assigned to daily antimicrobial prophylaxis (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) or placebo (300 in each group) and followed for a 2-year period...
- TS PROPHYLAXIS AND DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIA IN MALAWICHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: Two recent studies found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) prophylaxis reduced hospitalizations and mortality among HIV-infected persons in Cote d'Ivoire, and policies of widespread TS prophylaxis for HIV-infected ..
- Clinical Trial for CA-MRSA InfectionsDENISE TRITT; Fiscal Year: 2011..Efficacy determined at a Test of Cure Visit: [unreadable] To compare the efficacy of clindamycin and trimethoprim-sulfmethoxazole in conjunction with surgical drainage for suppurative uncomplicated skin and soft tissue ..
- CRYPTOSPORIDIUM DHFR AS A CHEMOTHERAPEUTIC TARGETRichard Nelson; Fiscal Year: 1992..However, DHFR also varies greatly among protozoa and the available inhibitors (pyrimethamine, trimethoprim, proguanil) bind poorly to some protozoan DHFRs (Leishmania, Trypanosoma, and Eimeria) and very well to others (..
- Randomized Intervention for Vesico-Ureteral Reflux (RIVUR) TrialMing Hsien Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..as having VUR using voiding cystourethrography (VCU), are randomized to antimicrobial prophylaxis with trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMZ) or placebo...
- IMPACT OF TS PROPHYLAXIS ON ANTIFOLATE RESISTANT MALARIAJames Kublin; Fiscal Year: 2000..Two recent studies found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) prophylaxis benefited HlV-infected persons in Cote d'lvoire...
- Protein Dynamics in Dihydrofolate Reductase CatalysisPETER EDWIN WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2013..DHFR is the target for anti-folate drugs such as the anticancer agent methotrexate and the antibacterials trimethoprim and iclaprim...
- Pharmacogenetics of sulfamethoxazole in HIV/AIDS patientsDanxin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Cotrimoxazole (Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, TMP-SMX) is the agent of choice for prophylaxis against opportunistic infections associated with HIV/AIDS and other immuno-compromised states...
- TS PROPHYLAXIS AND DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIA IN MALAWICHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Studies in Cote D'lvoire found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) reduced hospitalizations and mortality among HIV-infected persons who were not receiving antiretroviral therapy...
- REACTIONS TO TRIMETHOPRIM-SULFAMETHOXAZOLE IN AIDSManuel Lopez; Fiscal Year: 1990..infections commonly includes sulfonamide drugs, and especially the combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. AIDS patients, despite their severely depressed Immune function, frequently experience adverse reactions to ..
- POLYAMINE METABOLISM AND AIDS ASSOCIATED PNEUMONIAALLEN CLARKSON JR; Fiscal Year: 1992..opportunistic infections, is routinely based on only two drug therapies; pentamidine and a combination of trimethoprim with sulfamethoxazole...
- METABOLIC BASIS OF SULFONAMIDE TOXICITY IN AIDS PATIENTSCRAIG SVENSSON; Fiscal Year: 1999The use of sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (TMP-SMX) is associated with idiosyncratic/hypersensitivity reactions which significantly limit its use, and the frequency of these reactions is increased in HIV infected patients...
- S-Adenosylmethionine and Pneumocystis treatmentSalim Merali; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will study the ability of nicotine to treat rat model of PCP: We will look for synergism using nicotine and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, the primary drug for treatment of PCP...
- PNEUMOCYSTIS CARINII IN CONTINOUS AXENIC CULTUREALLEN CLARKSON JR; Fiscal Year: 2001..carinii pneumonia. These isolates will be studied in vitro for sensitivity to the combination of trimethoprim + sulfamethoxazole (the mainstay for both treatment of and prophylaxis against P...
- CHITIN SYNTHESIS IN PNEUMOCYSTISMichael Horst; Fiscal Year: 1990..Only two pharmacological agents, trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole and pentamidine are currently used to treat P...
- STRUCTURE SELECTIVITY RELATIONSHIPS OF ANTIBACTERIAL AGECYNTHIA SELASSIE; Fiscal Year: 1992..of this research is twofold - primarily to synthesize antifolates that are more potent and more selective than Trimethoprim and also to address the resistance problem by designing and synthesizing lipophilic dihydrofolate reductase (..
- Rebound Malaria Following Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole Prophylaxis in ChildrenTaylor Sandison; Fiscal Year: 2010..Per WHO recommendations, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) prophylaxis is used throughout Africa in all HIV- infected and exposed (uninfected ..
- In vitro culture and transformation of Wolbachia from mosquitoesAnn Fallon; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will transform Wolbachia to express trimethoprim resistance and green fluorescent protein using homologous and transposon-based approaches...
- DRUG TARGETS OF OPPORTUNISTIC PATHOGENS IN AIDSDANIEL SANTI; Fiscal Year: 1993..The targets that have been selected are dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR; the target of trimethoprim), dihydropteroate synthetase (DHPS; the sulfonamide target), and thymidylate synthase (TS; the likely target of ..
- TENTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON PTERIDINESMadhavan Nair; Fiscal Year: 1992..Folate antagonists such as Methotrexate and Trimethoprim are widely used therapeutically, the former for cancer, and the latter for infectious diseases...
- BIOLOGY AND TREATMENT OF AIDS LYMPHOMASRichard Fisher; Fiscal Year: 1993..aggressive AIDS-lymphomas with a reduced dose and shortened course of ProMACE-CytaBOM accompanied by low dose trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, AZT, and GCSF; b) primary CNS lymphomas with irradiation followed by the previously described ..
- TRANSPOSITION OF TN7Nancy Craig; Fiscal Year: 1999..of a recombination reaction, the transposition of the bacterial transposition Tn7 which encodes resistances to trimethoprim and to streptomycin and spectinomycin...
- ANALOGUES AND HOMOLOGUES OF TRIMETHOPRIM AND EPIROPRIMAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 1999..from Applicant's Abstract): The object of this application is the synthesis of analogues and homologues of trimethoprim (TMP) and its P...
- SECOND SITE REVERSION STUDIES OF DIHYDROFOLATE REDUCTASEElizabeth Howell; Fiscal Year: 1992..The cancer chemotherapeutic agent, methotrexate, and the antibacterial agent, trimethoprim, are potent inhibitors of intracellular DHFR and are used in clinical treatments of cancer and bacterial ..
- STRUCTURE,DYNAMICS & FUNCTION OF DIHYDROFOLATE REDUCTASETai Huang Huang; Fiscal Year: 1990..Initially we will focus on the antibacteria drug, trimethoprim (TMP), and the smallest DHFR, the type II enzyme from E. coli R67 plasmid (M.W. approximately 8500)...
- Randomized, controlled trial of daily trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or weekly chlCHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2008unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A daily regimen of the antibacterial drug trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) reduces disease and death among people living with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa by preventing opportunistic ..
- Antitumor Antimitotics That Reverse Tumor ResistanceAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study will also further define the mechanism of action of the novel series and could afford agents for clinical use. ..
- STRUCTURE BASED ANALOGS AS ANTIOPPORTUNISTIC AGENTSAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2001..The analogues synthesized will also be submitted for screening against tuberculosis (NIAID) parasitic diseases (WHO) and tumor cells in culture (NCI). ..
- Third Generation Antiopportunistic AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2003..Screening against tuberculosis (NIAID) and tumor cells in culture (NCI) is also proposed. ..
- Novel Single, Dual and Multitargeted Inhibitors of RTKsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Alpha Folate Receptor Mediated GARFTase Inhibitors as Selective Antitumor AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Single Agents with Designed Combination Chemotherapy PotentialAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Novel, P. jirovecii Specific Antipneumocystis AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole the combination of a dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) inhibitor trimethoprim and a ..
- NOVEL NONINDUCIBLE THYMIDYLATE SYNTHASE INHIBITORSAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Resistant E.coli in Humans and PoultryJames Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Goals: Assess poultry contact and consumption as risk factors for human colonization with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS)-, fluoroquinolone (FQ)-, and extended-spectrum cephalosporin (ESC)-resistant E. coli (i.e...
- Structural Studies of AIDS-Responsive DrugsVivian Cody; Fiscal Year: 2010..Current treatment for PcP combines sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim, targeting folate biosynthesis. Up to 50% of AIDS patients do not tolerate this treatment long term...
- LIPOPHILIC ANTIFOLATES AND AIDS OPPORTUNISTIC INFECTIONSAndre Rosowsky; Fiscal Year: 2004..hope will combine the high potency of trimetrexate (TMQ) and piritrexim (PTX) with the species selectivity of trimethoprim (TMP) and pyrimethamine (PM) against Pc, Tg, or Cp dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) versus rodent or human DHFR...
- NOVEL APPROACHES TO ANTIFOLATE CHEMOTHERAPYAndre Rosowsky; Fiscal Year: 2003..The focus will be on enhancing polyglutamation of the lead compound dmAMT by modification of the B-ring and/or pABA moiety. ..
- New Approaches for Development of PcP TherapyMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2006..The most widely utilized therapy is trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX)...
- PNEUMOCYSTIS GENOME PROJECTMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, there is but a single aim to this proposal: 1. To finish sequencing the genome of pneumocystis carinii and provide a completed assembly. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Human P. carinii PneumoniaLaurence Huang; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- TRANSMISSION OF PNEUMOCYSTIS INFECTIONMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will result in a clearer understanding of the biology leading to infection with Pc and will provide a rational basis for clinical management and therapeutic intervention. ..
- Eighth International Workshops on Opportunistic ProtistsMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2003..Mead's and Cushion's ancestors include native Americans; Marciano-Cabral is Hispanic; Kaneshiro has Pacific-Asian ancestry; Lindsay, Weiss are white. Lindsay is a physically handicapped individual. ..
- A Case Control Study of Interstitial CystitisJohn Warren; Fiscal Year: 2006..4) That patients with IC have remissions and that certain clinical features, e.g., bacterial cystitis at disease onset, are prognostic factors for remissions. ..