Genomes and Genes
Summary: A barbituric acid derivative that acts as a nonselective central nervous system depressant. It promotes binding to inhibitory GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID subtype receptors, and modulates chloride currents through receptor channels. It also inhibits glutamate induced depolarizations.
Publications339 found, 100 shown here
- Phenobarbital indirectly activates the constitutive active androstane receptor (CAR) by inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor signalingShingo Mutoh
Pharmacogenetics Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Sci Signal 6:ra31. 2013b>Phenobarbital is a central nervous system depressant that also indirectly activates nuclear receptor constitutive active androstane receptor (CAR), which promotes drug and energy metabolism, as well as cell growth (and death), in the ..
- The orphan nuclear receptor constitutive active/androstane receptor is essential for liver tumor promotion by phenobarbital in miceYukio Yamamoto
Laboratories of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology and Experimental Pathology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research TrianglePark, NC, USA
Cancer Res 64:7197-200. 2004Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is known to progress through a step often called tumor promotion. Phenobarbital (PB) is the prototype of nongenotoxic cacinogens that promote HCC in rodents...
- A comparison of Drosophila melanogaster detoxification gene induction responses for six insecticides, caffeine and phenobarbitalLee Willoughby
Centre for Environmental Stress and Adaptation Research CESAR, Department of Genetics, Bio21 Molecular Science and Biotechnology Institute, The University of Melbourne, VIC 3010, Australia
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 36:934-42. 2006..in contrast to induction responses we observed for the natural plant compound caffeine and the barbituate drug phenobarbital, both of which highly induced a number of P450 and GST genes under the same short exposure regime...
- Selective pressure during tumor promotion by phenobarbital leads to clonal outgrowth of beta-catenin-mutated mouse liver tumorsH Aydinlik
, , Wilhelmstr. 56, , Germany
Oncogene 20:7812-6. 2001..b>Phenobarbital (PB) is an antiepileptic drug which promotes hepatocarcinogenesis in rodents when administered subsequent to ..
- P-Glycoprotein-mediated efflux of phenobarbital, lamotrigine, and felbamate at the blood-brain barrier: evidence from microdialysis experiments in ratsHeidrun Potschka
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Pharmacy, School of Veterinary Medicine, Bunteweg 17, D 30559, Hannover, Germany
Neurosci Lett 327:173-6. 2002..In the present study, the effect of PGP inhibition by verapamil on brain access of the AEDs phenobarbital, lamotrigine, and felbamate was investigated by in vivo microdialysis in rats...
- Cell shape, cell-cell contact, cell-extracellular matrix contact and cell polarity are all required for the maximum induction of CYP2B1 and CYP2B2 gene expression by phenobarbital in adult rat cultured hepatocytesHiroaki Oda
Laboratory of Nutritional Biochemistry, Department of Applied Molecular Biosciences, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Biochem Pharmacol 75:1209-17. 2008The effect of cell shape, cell density, contact with extracellular matrix and cell polarity on the phenobarbital (PB)-induced gene expression of CYP2B1 and CYP2B2 (CYP2B1/2B2) in adult rat hepatocytes was investigated...
- Comparison of phenobarbital with bromide as a first-choice antiepileptic drug for treatment of epilepsy in dogsDawn Merton Boothe
Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Pharmacology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 240:1073-83. 2012To compare efficacy and safety of treatment with phenobarbital or bromide as the first-choice antiepileptic drug (AED) in dogs.
- β-Catenin loss in hepatocytes promotes hepatocellular cancer after diethylnitrosamine and phenobarbital administration to micePrince Kwaku Awuah
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e39771. 2012..Administration of phenobarbital (PB) containing water (0...
- Formation of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine and cell-cycle arrest in the rat liver via generation of oxidative stress by phenobarbital: association with expression profiles of p21(WAF1/Cip1), cyclin D1 and Ogg1Anna Kinoshita
First Department of Pathology, Osaka City University Medical School, Abeno Ku, Asahi machi 1 4 3, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
Carcinogenesis 23:341-9. 2002..and alteration to cellular proliferation and apoptosis in the rat liver were investigated during 2 weeks of phenobarbital (PB) administration at a dose of 0.05%...
- Dynamic changes in 5-hydroxymethylation signatures underpin early and late events in drug exposed liverJohn P Thomson
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 41:5639-54. 2013..with short (1 day) and prolonged (7, 28 and 91 days) exposure to the rodent liver non-genotoxic carcinogen, phenobarbital (PB)...
- Overexpression of glutamine synthetase is associated with beta-catenin-mutations in mouse liver tumors during promotion of hepatocarcinogenesis by phenobarbitalSandra Loeppen
Institut fur Toxikologie, Universitat Tubingen, Germany
Cancer Res 62:5685-8. 2002b>Phenobarbital (PB) is an antiepileptic drug that promotes hepatocarcinogenesis in rodents when administered subsequent to an initiating carcinogen like N-nitrosodiethylamine (DEN)...
- The repressed nuclear receptor CAR responds to phenobarbital in activating the human CYP2B6 geneT Sueyoshi
Pharmacogenetics Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 274:6043-6. 1999The endogenous CYP2B6 gene becomes phenobarbital (PB) inducible in androstenol-treated HepG2 cells either transiently or stably transfected with a nuclear receptor CAR expression vector...
- Antiepileptic drugs and apoptotic neurodegeneration in the developing brainPetra Bittigau
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Children s Hospital, Charite Virchow Clinics, Humboldt University, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:15089-94. 2002..The cause of unwanted effects of therapy with AEDs is unknown. Here we reveal that phenytoin, phenobarbital, diazepam, clonazepam, vigabatrin, and valproate cause apoptotic neurodegeneration in the developing rat brain ..
- Differences in cortical versus subcortical GABAergic signaling: a candidate mechanism of electroclinical uncoupling of neonatal seizuresJoseph Glykys
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02144, USA
Neuron 63:657-72. 2009..Uncoupling increases after treatment with Phenobarbital, which enhances the GABA(A) receptor (GABA(A)R) conductance...
- Disease-modifying effects of phenobarbital and the NKCC1 inhibitor bumetanide in the pilocarpine model of temporal lobe epilepsyClaudia Brandt
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Pharmacy, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, D 30559 Hannover, Germany
J Neurosci 30:8602-12. 2010..The antiepileptic drug phenobarbital, either alone or in combination, was used for comparison...
- Inducibility of the Drosophila melanogaster cytochrome P450 gene, CYP6A2, by phenobarbital in insecticide susceptible or resistant strainsA Brun
Laboratoire de Biologie des Invertébrés, Institut National de la Recherche, Antibes, France
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 26:697-703. 1996..the expression of this cytochrome P450 gene in the Canton(s) strain (wild type) to be under the control of phenobarbital. In adults treated with phenobarbital, this gene is transcribed in the midgut, the pericuticular fat bodies ..
- Characterization of phenobarbital-inducible mouse Cyp2b10 gene transcription in primary hepatocytesP Honkakoski
Pharmacogenectics Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Development Toxicology, NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 271:9746-53. 1996The mouse phenobarbital (PB)-inducible Cyp2b10 gene promoter has been isolated and sequenced, and control of its expression has been characterized...
- Treatment with phenobarbital and monitoring of epileptic patients in rural MaliK Nimaga
Sante Sud, Bamako, Mali
Bull World Health Organ 80:532-7. 2002To assess the efficacy of phenobarbital treatment for epileptic patients in rural Mali.
- A physiological role of AMP-activated protein kinase in phenobarbital-mediated constitutive androstane receptor activation and CYP2B inductionSawako Shindo
Department of Biochemical Toxicology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Showa University, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa, Tokyo 142 8555, Japan
Biochem J 401:735-41. 2007..It has been reported recently that AMPK (AMP-activated protein kinase) is involved in phenobarbital-mediated CYP2B induction in a particular culture system...
- Mimicry in primary rat hepatocyte cultures of the in vivo perivenous induction by phenobarbital of cytochrome P-450 2B1 mRNA: role of epidermal growth factor and perivenous oxygen tensionT Kietzmann
Institut fur Biochemie und Molekulare Zellbiologie, Gottingen, Germany
Mol Pharmacol 56:46-53. 1999Treatment of male rats with phenobarbital (PB) results in a perivenous and mid-zonal pattern of cytochrome P-450 (CYP)2B1 mRNA expression within the liver acinus. The mechanism of this zonated induction is still poorly understood...
- Availability and costs of antiepileptic drugs and quality of phenobarbital in Vientiane municipality, Lao PDRPeter Odermatt
Institut de la Francophonie pour la Médecine Tropicale, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Neuroepidemiology 28:169-74. 2007..This study investigated the availability and costs of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), and the quality of phenobarbital in Vientiane Municipality, Lao PDR.
- Phenobarbital response elements of cytochrome P450 genes and nuclear receptorsT Sueyoshi
Pharmacogenetics Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 41:123-43. 2001b>Phenobarbital (PB) response elements are composed of various nuclear receptor (NR)-binding sites...
- Role for mitogen-activated protein kinases in phenobarbital-induced expression of cytochrome P450 2B in primary cultures of rat hepatocytesFlorence Joannard
INSERM UMR 620, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Rennes 1, 2 av Prof Léon Bernard, 35043 Rennes Cedex, France
Toxicol Lett 161:61-72. 2006b>Phenobarbital (PB) alters expression of numerous hepatic genes, including genes of cytochrome P450 2B1 and 2B2 (CYP2B). However, the intracellular mechanisms remain to be fully elucidated...
- Striking differences in individual anticonvulsant response to phenobarbital in rats with spontaneous seizures after status epilepticusClaudia Brandt
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Pharmacy, School of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Epilepsia 45:1488-97. 2004..In the present study, we used a post-status epilepticus model of TLE to examine whether rats with spontaneous recurrent seizures (SRSs) differ in their individual responses to phenobarbital (PB).
- Modulation of mouse and human phenobarbital-responsive enhancer module by nuclear receptorsJanne Mäkinen
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Mol Pharmacol 62:366-78. 2002..CAR) regulates mouse and human CYP2B genes through binding to the direct repeat-4 (DR4) motifs present in the phenobarbital-responsive enhancer module (PBREM)...
- Dephosphorylation of threonine 38 is required for nuclear translocation and activation of human xenobiotic receptor CAR (NR1I3)Shingo Mutoh
Laboratories of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 284:34785-92. 2009..using an anti-phospho-threonine 38 peptide antibody has, in fact, demonstrated that the classic CAR activator phenobarbital dephosphorylates the corresponding threonine 48 of mouse CAR in the cytoplasm of mouse liver and translocates ..
- Pregabalin as an adjunct to phenobarbital, potassium bromide, or a combination of phenobarbital and potassium bromide for treatment of dogs with suspected idiopathic epilepsyCurtis W Dewey
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 235:1442-9. 2009To assess tolerability and short-term efficacy of oral administration of pregabalin as an adjunct to phenobarbital, potassium bromide, or a combination of phenobarbital and potassium bromide for treatment of dogs with poorly controlled ..
- Comparison of the in vitro mutagenicity and metabolism of dimethylnitrosamine and benzo[a]pyrene in tissues from inbred mice treated with phenobarbital, 3-methylcholanthrene or polychlorinated biphenylsJ J Hutton
Mutat Res 66:75-94. 1979..of strains CF1, AKR/J, AU/SsJ, DBA/2J, SWR/J, A/J, C3H/HeJ, and C57BL/6J were either untreated or received phenobarbital (PB), 3-methylcholanthrene (MC) or polychlorinated biphenyls (AR) to induce drug-metabolizing enzymes...
- Comparative pharmacokinetics between a microdose and therapeutic dose for clarithromycin, sumatriptan, propafenone, paracetamol (acetaminophen), and phenobarbital in human volunteersGraham Lappin
Xceleron Ltd, The Biocentre, Innovation Way, York YO10 5NY, UK
Eur J Pharm Sci 43:141-50. 2011..PK) following a therapeutic dose of clarithromycin, sumatriptan, propafenone, paracetamol (acetaminophen) and phenobarbital, both within the study and by reference to the existing literature on these compounds and to explore the ..
- Tumor formation in liver of conditional β-catenin-deficient mice exposed to a diethylnitrosamine/phenobarbital tumor promotion regimenBenjamin Rignall
Department of Toxicology, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Tubingen, Germany
Carcinogenesis 32:52-7. 2011The antiepileptic drug phenobarbital (PB) is a potent tumor promoter in mouse liver, where it stimulates the selective outgrowth of tumor populations harboring activating mutations in Ctnnb1, encoding β-catenin...
- Pharmacokinetics and clinical efficacy of phenobarbital in asphyxiated newborns treated with hypothermia: a thermopharmacological approachM P H van den Broek
Division of Laboratory Medicine and Pharmacy, Department of Clinical Pharmacy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Pharmacokinet 51:671-9. 2012..We studied the effect of therapeutic hypothermia on the pharmacokinetics of phenobarbital in asphyxiated neonates, and the clinical efficacy and the effect of phenobarbital on the continuous amplitude-..
- Neonatal exposure to phenobarbital potentiates schizophrenia-like behavioral outcomes in the ratS K Bhardwaj
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Neuropharmacology 62:2337-45. 2012..However, because early-life seizures are commonly treated with antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) such as phenobarbital, the possibility that drug treatment may affect later-life psychiatric outcomes needs to be evaluated...
- Activation of beta-catenin provides proliferative and invasive advantages in c-myc/TGF-alpha hepatocarcinogenesis promoted by phenobarbitalDiego F Calvisi
Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4262, USA
Carcinogenesis 25:901-8. 2004Previously, we have found that phenobarbital (PB) enhanced cell survival and facilitated tumor growth in our c-myc/transforming growth factor (TGF)-alpha transgenic mouse model of liver cancer...
- Nuclear receptor CAR represses TNFalpha-induced cell death by interacting with the anti-apoptotic GADD45BYukio Yamamoto
Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10121. 2010b>Phenobarbital (PB) is the most well-known among numerous non-genotoxic carcinogens that cause the development of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Phenobarbital/Lamotrigine coadministration-induced blood dyscrasia in a patient with epilepsyAntonio Siniscalchi
Neurology Division, Annunziata Hospital, Cosenza, Italy
Ann Pharmacother 44:2031-4. 2010To report on a patient with epilepsy who developed leukopenia and thrombocytopenia during phenobarbital/lamotrigine treatment.
- Differential induction of glutathione S-transferase subunits by phenobarbital, 3-methylcholanthrene and ethoxyquin in rat liver and kidneyM Derbel
Laboratory of Biochemical Pharmacology and Biotoxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1158:175-80. 1993The inducibility of Glutathione S-transferase (GST) in male Sprague-Dawley rats, treated with phenobarbital (PB), 3-methyl-cholanthrene (MC) and ethoxyquin (ETQ), was examined in detail...
- Phenobarbital mediates an epigenetic switch at the constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) target gene Cyp2b10 in the liver of B6C3F1 miceHarri Lempiäinen
Investigative Toxicology, Preclinical Safety, Translational Sciences, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 6:e18216. 2011..Here, we evaluate the sensitivity and specificity of genome-wide epigenomic and transcriptomic profiling in phenobarbital (PB)-treated B6C3F1 mice, a well-characterized rodent model of non-genotoxic liver carcinogenesis...
- Genome-wide analysis of phenobarbital-inducible genes in Drosophila melanogasterW Sun
Department of Entomology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1158, USA
Insect Mol Biol 15:455-64. 2006An oligoarray analysis was conducted to determine the differential expression of genes due to phenobarbital exposure in Drosophila melanogaster (w(1118) strain) third instar larvae...
- The effects of carbamazepine, valproic acid and phenobarbital on the oxidative and antioxidative balance in epileptic childrenAli Aycicek
Sanliurfa Children s Hospital, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Eur Neurol 57:65-9. 2007..We studied the effect of antiepileptic monotherapy on serum level of total antioxidant capacity, lipid hydroperoxide, total peroxide, oxidative stress index, and individual serum antioxidants such as albumin, bilirubin and uric acid...
- Effects of lamotrigine alone and in combination with MK-801, phenobarbital, or phenytoin on cell death in the neonatal rat brainIrina Katz
Departments of Pediatrics, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 322:494-500. 2007..This study evaluated lamotrigine alone or in combination with phenobarbital, phenytoin, or the glutamate antagonist (+)-5-methyl-10,11-dihydro-5H-dibenzo[a,d]cyclohepten-5,10-imine ..
- Mechanisms of impaired biliary excretion of acetaminophen glucuronide after acute phenobarbital treatment or phenobarbital pretreatmentHao Xiong
Division of Drug Delivery and Disposition, School of Pharmacy, CB 7360, Beard Hall, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7360, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 30:962-9. 2002Previous studies have demonstrated that phenobarbital (PB) significantly impairs the biliary excretion of acetaminophen glucuronide (AG) in rats...
- Neuronal chloride accumulation and excitatory GABA underlie aggravation of neonatal epileptiform activities by phenobarbitalRomain Nardou
INSERM U 901, Marseille, 13009, France
Brain 134:987-1002. 2011b>Phenobarbital produces its anti-epileptic actions by increasing the inhibitory drive of γ-aminobutyric acid...
- Bumetanide enhances phenobarbital efficacy in a neonatal seizure modelVolodymyr I Dzhala
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Ann Neurol 63:222-35. 2008..to a greater seizure propensity and poor electroencephalographic response to GABAergic anticonvulsants such as phenobarbital and benzodiazepines...
- Human constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) and pregnane X receptor (PXR) support the hypertrophic but not the hyperplastic response to the murine nongenotoxic hepatocarcinogens phenobarbital and chlordane in vivoJillian Ross
CXR Biosciences Ltd, 2 James Lindsay Place, Dundee DD1 5JJ, UK
Toxicol Sci 116:452-66. 2010Mouse nongenotoxic hepatocarcinogens phenobarbital (PB) and chlordane induce hepatomegaly characterized by hypertrophy and hyperplasia. Increased cell proliferation is implicated in the mechanism of tumor induction...
- Enhanced biosynthetic gene expressions and production of ganoderic acids in static liquid culture of Ganoderma lucidum under phenobarbital inductionCui Xia Liang
Molecular Biochemical Engineering Group, Key Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism Ministry of Education, School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 800 Dong Chuan Road, Shanghai, 200240, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 86:1367-74. 2010..In this work, the addition of phenobarbital, a P450 inducer, was used to enhance the production of total and individual ganoderic acids in a two-stage ..
- Phenobarbital compared with phenytoin for the treatment of neonatal seizuresM J Painter
Department of Pediatrics and Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
N Engl J Med 341:485-9. 1999Seizures occur in 1 to 2 percent of neonates admitted to an intensive care unit. The treatment is usually with either phenobarbital or phenytoin, but the efficacy of the two drugs has not been compared directly.
- Phenobarbital augments hypothermic neuroprotectionJohn D Barks
Departments of Pediatrics and Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Pediatr Res 67:532-7. 2010..We hypothesized that early administration of the anticonvulsant phenobarbital after cerebral hypoxia ischemia could enhance the neuroprotective efficacy of delayed-onset hypothermia...
- Orphan nuclear receptor constitutive active/androstane receptor-mediated alterations in DNA methylation during phenobarbital promotion of liver tumorigenesisJennifer M Phillips
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 96:72-82. 2007..mechanism that plays a key role in the carcinogenesis process, and the nongenotoxic rodent hepatocarcinogen phenobarbital (PB) alters the methylation status of DNA in mouse liver...
- The Drosophila cytochrome P450 gene Cyp6a2: structure, localization, heterologous expression, and induction by phenobarbitalB C Dunkov
Department of Entomology, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721 0036, USA
DNA Cell Biol 16:1345-56. 1997..b>Phenobarbital treatment of flies leads to a rapid increase in the level of CYP6A2 mRNA and to an increased production of the ..
- Phenobarbital for the treatment of epilepsy in the 21st century: a critical reviewPatrick Kwan
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Epilepsia 45:1141-9. 2004Summary: Phenobarbital (PB) is the most widely used antiepileptic drug (AED) in the developing world and remains a popular choice in many industrialized countries...
- The constitutive active/androstane receptor facilitates unique phenobarbital-induced expression changes of genes involved in key pathways in precancerous liver and liver tumorsJennifer M Phillips
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 110:319-33. 2009..is to elucidate progressive changes, in expression and methylation status, of genes which play key roles in phenobarbital (PB)-induced liver tumorigenesis, with an emphasis on their potential to affect signaling through critical ..
- Differential hippocampal pharmacokinetics of phenobarbital and carbamazepine in repetitive seizures induced by 3-mercaptopropionic acidChristian Hocht
Catedra de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Junin 956, C1113AAD Buenos Aires, Argentina
Neurosci Lett 453:54-7. 2009..The aim of the present work was to assess the involvement of P-glycoprotein in carbamazepine and phenobarbital hippocampal pharmacokinetics in an experimental model of epilepsy, induced by repetitive MP administration...
- Induction of human CYP2C9 by rifampicin, hyperforin, and phenobarbital is mediated by the pregnane X receptorYuping Chen
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 308:495-501. 2004..Several studies have reported that certain drugs such as rifampicin and phenobarbital induce CYP2C9, but the molecular basis for this induction remains unknown...
- Identification of the nuclear receptor CAR:HSP90 complex in mouse liver and recruitment of protein phosphatase 2A in response to phenobarbitalKouichi Yoshinari
Pharmacogenetics Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
FEBS Lett 548:17-20. 2003The nuclear receptor CAR, a phenobarbital (PB)-responsive transcription factor, translocates into the nucleus of hepatocytes after PB induction...
- A KCNQ channel opener for experimental neonatal seizures and status epilepticusYogendraSinh H Raol
Division of Neurology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Ann Neurol 65:326-36. 2009..This study tests the hypothesis that selective openers of KCNQ channels may be effective for treatment of neonatal seizures...
- Generation-dependent encapsulation/electrostatic attachment of phenobarbital molecules by poly(amidoamine) dendrimers: Evidence from 2D-NOESY investigationsYiyun Cheng
Laboratory of Functional Membranes, Department of Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230026, China
Eur J Med Chem 44:2219-23. 2009The interactions of phenobarbital with different generations of amine-terminated poly(amidoamine) (PAMAM) dendrimers were investigated by using two dimensional-nuclear Overhauser effect spectroscopic (2D-NOESY) investigations...
- Involvement of phenobarbital and SKF 525A in the hepatotoxicity of antifungal drugs itraconazole and fluconazole in ratsN Somchit
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia
Drug Chem Toxicol 29:237-53. 2006..The purpose of this study was to investigate the role of phenobarbital (PB), an inducer of cytochrome P450 (CYP), and SKF 525A, an inhibitor of CYP, in the mechanism of ..
- Phenobarbital induces progressive patterns of GC-rich and gene-specific altered DNA methylation in the liver of tumor-prone B6C3F1 miceAmmie N Bachman
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 91:393-405. 2006Altered DNA methylation contributes to tumorigenesis by affecting gene expression in a heritable fashion. Phenobarbital (PB) is a nongenotoxic rodent carcinogen which induces global hypomethylation and regions of hypermethylation in ..
- Dose- and time-dependent effects of phenobarbital on gene expression profiling in human hepatoma HepaRG cellsCarine B Lambert
INSERM U620 and Université de Rennes 1, 35043 Rennes, France
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 234:345-60. 2009b>Phenobarbital (PB) induces or represses a wide spectrum of genes in rodent liver. Much less is known about its effects in human liver...
- Side effects of phenobarbital and carbamazepine in childhood epilepsy: randomised controlled trialSelina H Banu
Child Development and Neurology Unit, Dhaka Shishu Children s Hospital, Bangladesh Institute of Child Health, Sher E Bangla Nagar, Dhaka 1207, Bangladesh
BMJ 334:1207. 2007To compare the behavioural side effects associated with two commonly used antiepilepsy drugs-phenobarbital and carbamazepine-in children in Bangladesh.
- Inhibitory effect of vanadium on rat liver carcinogenesis initiated with diethylnitrosamine and promoted by phenobarbitalA Bishayee
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India
Br J Cancer 71:1214-20. 1995..by a single intraperitoneal injection of diethylnitrosamine (DENA; 200 mg kg-1) followed by promotion with phenobarbital (0.05%) in the diet. Supplementary vanadium (0.5 p.p.m...
- Clinical pharmacokinetics of phenobarbital in neonatesD J Touw
Department of Pharmacy, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, De Boelelaan 1117, NL 1081 HV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Pharm Sci 12:111-6. 2000..and clinical pharmacokinetic data collected from term and preterm neonates who were treated with intravenous phenobarbital have been analysed to evaluate the role of patient characteristics in pharmacokinetic parameters...
- Differential display in rat livers treated for 13 weeks with phenobarbital implicates a role for metabolic and oxidative stress in nongenotoxic carcinogenicityMollisa M Elrick
Pfizer Corporation, Worldwide Safety Sciences, St Louis, Missouri 63167, USA
Toxicol Pathol 33:118-26. 2005Hepatic enzyme inducers such as phenobarbital are often nongenotoxic rodent hepatocarcinogens. Currently, nongenotoxic hepatocarcinogens can only be definitively identified through costly and extensive long-term, repeat-dose studies (e.g...
- Antiepileptic drug-resistant rats differ from drug-responsive rats in hippocampal neurodegeneration and GABA(A) receptor ligand binding in a model of temporal lobe epilepsyHolger A Volk
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Pharmacy, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Neurobiol Dis 21:633-46. 2006..these seizures was recorded by continuous video/EEG monitoring before, during, and after daily treatment with phenobarbital, which was given at maximum tolerated doses for 2 weeks...
- Isobolographic characterization of the anticonvulsant interaction profiles of levetiracetam in combination with clonazepam, ethosuximide, phenobarbital and valproate in the mouse pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure modelMonika Dudra-Jastrzebska
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Lublin, Jaczewskiego 8, PL 20 090 Lublin, Poland
Seizure 18:607-14. 2009..levetiracetam (LEV) and the conventional antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) clonazepam (CZP), ethosuximide (ETS), phenobarbital (PB), and valproate (VPA) in suppressing pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced clonic seizures in mice by use of ..
- Phenobarbital responsiveness as a uniquely sensitive indicator of hepatocyte differentiation status: requirement of dexamethasone and extracellular matrix in establishing the functional integrity of cultured primary rat hepatocytesJaspreet S Sidhu
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Exp Cell Res 292:252-64. 2004..extracellular matrix (ECM) coordinate cell differentiation and transcriptional responsiveness to the inducer, phenobarbital (PB)...
- Efficacy of clonidine versus phenobarbital in reducing neonatal morphine sulfate therapy days for neonatal abstinence syndrome. A prospective randomized clinical trialB Surran
1 Division of Newborn Medicine, Baystate Children s Hospital, Springfield, MA, USA 2 Department of Neurology, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
J Perinatol 33:954-9. 2013To compare the efficacy of clonidine versus phenobarbital in reducing morphine sulfate treatment days for neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS).
- Sequence of a chicken phenobarbital-inducible cytochrome P450 cDNA: regulation of two P450 mRNAs transcribed from different genesA J Hansen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Adelaide, South Australia
DNA 8:179-91. 1989The nucleic acid and derived amino acid sequences of a chicken phenobarbital-inducible cytochrome P450 cDNA clone, pCHP7, are presented...
- Differential inhibitory effects of thiopental, thiamylal and phenobarbital on both voltage-gated calcium channels and NMDA receptors in rat hippocampal slicesR Z Zhan
Department of Anaesthesiology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
Br J Anaesth 81:932-9. 1998..We have compared the effects of thiopental, thiamylal and phenobarbital on both voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCC) and N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors in rat hippocampal ..
- Functional analysis of the cis-acting elements responsible for the induction of the Cyp6a8 and Cyp6g1 genes of Drosophila melanogaster by DDT, phenobarbital and caffeineR Morra
Department of Biology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Insect Mol Biol 19:121-30. 2010Many Drosophila cytochrome P450 or Cyp genes are induced by caffeine and phenobarbital (PB)...
- Hormone receptor-like in 96 and Broad-Complex modulate phenobarbital induced transcription of cytochrome P450 CYP6D1 in Drosophila S2 cellsG G H Lin
Department of Entomology, Comstock Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Insect Mol Biol 20:87-95. 2011b>Phenobarbital (PB) is a prototypical inducer for studies of xenobiotic responses in animals...
- Dupuytren's contracture as result of prolonged administration of phenobarbitalM Tripoli
Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery, Dipartimento di Discipline Chirurgiche ed Oncologiche, Palermo University, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 15:299-302. 2011..In literature, there are different opinions regarding the phenobarbital, a common antiepileptic drug, and its effective role in the genesis and development of Dupuytren's disease...
- P-glycoprotein-mediated efflux of phenobarbital at the blood-brain barrier evidence from transport experiments in vitroZhi Hong Yang
Key Lab of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, China
Epilepsy Res 78:40-9. 2008The purpose of the present studies was to investigate characteristics of phenobarbital (PB) transport across the blood-brain barrier (BBB). Cultured rat brain microvascular endothelial cells (rBMECs) were used as an in vitro BBB model...
- The nuclear receptors constitutive active/androstane receptor and pregnane x receptor activate the Cyp2c55 gene in mouse liverYoshihiro Konno
Pharmacogenetics Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 38:1177-82. 2010..We have now found that CYP2C55 is induced by phenobarbital (PB) and pregnenolone 16alpha-carbonitrile (PCN) in both mouse kidney and liver...
- Midazolam in neonatal seizures with no response to phenobarbitalJ R Castro Conde
Neonatology Service, University Hospital of the Canary Islands, Ofra s n, La Laguna 28230, Spain
Neurology 64:876-9. 2005..ESz persisted in 17 of 32 neonates receiving phenobarbital/phenytoin (13 had a poor outcome, 4 died)...
- Side effects of phenobarbital in epilepsy: a systematic reviewLing Li Zhang
Department of Pharmacy, West China Second University Hospital, China
Epileptic Disord 13:349-65. 2011In recent years, phenobarbital, as an antiepileptic drug, has become less popular based on adverse events, especially cognitive and behavioural side effects...
- EEG wavelet analyses of the striatum-substantia nigra pars reticulata-superior colliculus circuitry: audiogenic seizures and anticonvulsant drug administration in Wistar audiogenic rats (War strain)Franco Rossetti
Physiology Department, Ribeirao Preto School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Bandeirantes 3900, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Epilepsy Res 72:192-208. 2006..and electroencephalographic (EEG) data were collected from WARs under no treatment or injection with systemic (phenobarbital) or intracerebral (intranigral) drugs (muscimol and phenobarbital)...
- In vitro concentration dependent transport of phenytoin and phenobarbital, but not ethosuximide, by human P-glycoproteinChunbo Zhang
School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
Life Sci 86:899-905. 2010..We evaluated AEDs as P-gp substrates using cell monolayers...
- HPLC assay of acetylsalicylic acid, paracetamol, caffeine and phenobarbital in tabletsJ T Franeta
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Drug Analysis, Faculty of Pharmacy, Belgrade, Serbia, Yugoslavia
Farmaco 57:709-13. 2002..paper present a HPLC method for simultaneous determination of acetylsalicylic acid, paracetamol, caffeine and phenobarbital in tablets, using chromatographic system consisting a Bio Rad 18 01 solvent pump, Rheodine 71 25 injector and ..
- Transcriptional activation of PPARalpha by phenobarbital in the absence of CAR and PXRViola Tamasi
Genome Scale Biology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Mol Pharm 6:1573-81. 2009..nuclear receptors CAR (constitutive androstane receptor) and PXR (pregnane X receptor) mediate the effects of phenobarbital on gene transcription...
- Effects of phenobarbital and multiple-dose corticosteroids on developmental outcome at age 7 yearsJames A Thorp
Regional Perinatal Center, Sacred Heart Women s Hospital, Pensacola, Florida 32513, USA
Obstet Gynecol 101:363-73. 2003To determine the effects of phenobarbital and repeated antenatal steroid use on the primary outcome (intelligence and achievement) and secondary outcomes (behavior and head circumference) at age 7 years.
- [Pigmented hepatocellular adenoma of the liver caused by long-term use of phenobarbital]A Ferko
Katedra válecné chirurgie, Vojenská lékarská akademie Jana Evangelisty Purkynĕ v Hradci Králové
Rozhl Chir 82:192-5. 2003..The authors discuss the possible development of adenomas of the liver as a result of long-term use of phenobarbital. As a basis they use experimental observations where this drug acts as a strong promotor of DNA synthesis and ..
- Quality of phenobarbital solid-dosage forms in the urban community of Nouakchott (Mauritania)Marie Laure Laroche
Institute of Neuroepidemiology and Tropical Neurology EA 3174, Faculty of Medicine, Limoges, France
Epilepsia 46:1293-6. 2005..The aim of this study was to describe the proportion of poor-quality phenobarbital (PB) solid-dosage forms and evaluate the factors associated with its quality in Nouakchott (Mauritania).
- Bumetanide augments the neuroprotective efficacy of phenobarbital plus hypothermia in a neonatal hypoxia-ischemia modelYiQing Liu
Department of Pediatrics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Pediatr Res 71:559-65. 2012..a clinically available diuretic, inhibits this chloride transporter and augments the antiepileptic effects of phenobarbital (PB) in neonatal rodents...
- Microdialysis sampling of carbamazepine, phenytoin and phenobarbital in subcutaneous extracellular fluid and subdural cerebrospinal fluid in humans: an in vitro and in vivo study of adsorption to the sampling deviceMartin Lindberger
Department of Neurology, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, S 14186 Huddinge, Sweden
Pharmacol Toxicol 91:158-65. 2002..to the sampling equipment during microdialysis would influence the results for carbamazepine, phenytoin and phenobarbital. In vitro experiments with microdialysis catheters and separate parts of catheters were performed to estimate ..
- The antiepileptic drugs phenobarbital and carbamazepine reduce transport of methotrexate in rat choroid plexus by down-regulation of the reduced folate carrierSandra Halwachs
Institute of Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, An den Tierkliniken 15, University of Leipzig, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Mol Pharmacol 80:621-9. 2011..MTX neurotoxicity usually manifests as seizures requiring therapy with antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) such as phenobarbital (PB)...
- Characterization of drug-specific T cells in phenobarbital-induced eruptionHideo Hashizume
Department of Dermatology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handa yama, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
J Immunol 168:5359-68. 2002b>Phenobarbital has a high potential to elicit adverse reactions including severe skin eruptions and systemic involvements among the worldwide-prescribed drugs...
- Multiple organ toxicity, including hypochromic anemia, following repeated dose oral administration of phenobarbital (PB) in ratsSayuri Kojima
The Institute of Environmental Toxicology, Joso shi, Ibaraki, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 34:527-39. 2009A 4-week repeated dose oral toxicity study of phenobarbital (PB) sodium was conducted in F344 rats of both sexes at PB doses of 0.8, 8, and 80 mg/kg/day to fully elucidate its general toxicity including hematological changes...
- Acute exposure to caffeine decreases the anticonvulsant action of ethosuximide, but not that of clonazepam, phenobarbital and valproate against pentetrazole-induced seizures in miceJarogniew J Luszczki
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Lublin, Jaczewskiego 8, PL 20 090 Lublin, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 58:652-9. 2006..anticonvulsant action of four conventional antiepileptic drugs (AEDs: clonazepam - CZP, ethosuximide - ETS, phenobarbital - PB and valproate - VPA) against pentetrazole (PTZ)-induced clonic seizures in mice...
- Induction of cytochrome P450 isozymes by phenobarbital in pregnant rat and fetal livers and placentaNoriko Ejiri
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Exp Mol Pathol 78:150-5. 2005..in the expression of CYP proteins in the pregnant rat and fetal livers and placenta after treatment with phenobarbital (PB), one of the antiepileptic drugs which is well known to induce several phase I and phase II drug ..
- Validation of (-)-N-3-benzyl-phenobarbital as a selective inhibitor of CYP2C19 in human liver microsomesXiaoxin Cai
Department of Drug Metabolism, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 32:584-6. 2004N-3-Benzyl-phenobarbital (NBPB) was reported to be a potent and selective inhibitor of CYP2C19...
- Transcriptional activation of cytochrome P450 CYP2C45 by drugs is mediated by the chicken xenobiotic receptor (CXR) interacting with a phenobarbital response enhancer unitManuel Baader
Department of Pharmacology Neurobiology, Biozentrum of the University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 277:15647-53. 2002..6 kb of its 5'-flanking region. Exposure of LMH cells to phenobarbital or metyrapone led to a 95- or 210-fold increase in CYP2C45 mRNA and a 140- or 290-fold increase in reporter ..
- Induction of hepatic cytochrome P-450 by phenobarbital in semi-aquatic frog (Rana pipiens)M A Khan
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago 60607 7060, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 244:737-44. 1998..It is hypothesized that the evolution of true terrestrialness, and not the evolution of air-breathing lungs alone, is required for the transcriptional activation of CYPIIB gene by PB...
- Chromatin assembly enhances binding to the CYP2B1 phenobarbital-responsive unit (PBRU) of nuclear factor-1, which binds simultaneously with constitutive androstane receptor (CAR)/retinoid X receptor (RXR) and enhances CAR/RXR-mediated activation of the PBJ Kim
Departments of Molecular and Integrative Physiology and Cell and Structural Biology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 61801, USA
J Biol Chem 276:7559-67. 2001b>Phenobarbital induction of CYP2B genes is mediated by a complex phenobarbital-responsive enhancer (PBRU), which contains a binding site for nuclear factor-1 (NF-1) flanked by two DR-4 nuclear receptor (NR) binding sites for a heterodimer ..
- A randomized, triple-blind, placebo-controlled trial of prophylactic oral phenobarbital to reduce the need for phototherapy in G6PD-deficient neonatesSrinivas Murki
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Perinatol 25:325-30. 2005..The role of enzyme inducers, like phenobarbital, in G6PD deficiency is unclear...
- Effect of the co-administration of phenobarbital, quercetin and mancozeb on nitrosomethylurea-induced pancreatic tumors in ratsM A Valentich
2 a Cátedra de Biología Celular, Histología y Embriología, Instituto de Biologia Celular, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
Food Chem Toxicol 44:2101-5. 2006..This work studies the effect of oral administration of phenobarbital (PB) on this model of pancreatic carcinogenesis...
- Phenobarbital for neonatal seizures in hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy: a pharmacokinetic study during whole body hypothermiaLuca Filippi
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Department of Perinatal Medicine, A Meyer University Children s Hospital, Florence, Italy
Epilepsia 52:794-801. 2011..b>Phenobarbital is widely used to treat neonatal seizures, but it is unknown whether its pharmacokinetics is affected by ..
- Neonatal N-(-2-chloroethyl)-N-ethyl-2-bromobenzylamine (DSP-4) treatment modifies the vulnerability to phenobarbital- and ethanol-evoked sedative-hypnotic effects in adult ratsAleksandra Bortel
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of Silesia, H Jordana 38, PL 41 808 Zabrze, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 60:331-8. 2008..weeks, loss of the righting reflex (LORR) was used as an index to study the acute sedative-hypnotic effects of phenobarbital (100 mg/kg ip) and ethanol (4 g/kg ip, 25% v/v)...
- A conserved nuclear receptor consensus sequence (DR-4) mediates transcriptional activation of the chicken CYP2H1 gene by phenobarbital in a hepatoma cell lineC Handschin
Department of Pharmacology Neurobiology, Biozentrum of the University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 275:13362-9. 2000b>Phenobarbital-responsive DNA elements were identified in the 5'-flanking region of the chicken CYP2H1 gene by in reporter gene assays in a chicken hepatoma cell line (leghorn male hepatoma (LMH))...
- Congenital abnormalities of 88 children born to mothers who attempted suicide with phenobarbital during pregnany: the use of a disaster epidemiological model for the evaluation of drug teratogenicityGábor Timmermann
Foundation for the Community Control of Hereditary Diseases, Budapest, Hungary
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:815-25. 2009To study the effect of large doses of phenobarbital used for a suicide attempt during pregnancy for fetuses to estimate the teratogenic potential of phenobarbital.
- Werner's syndrome helicase participates in transcription of phenobarbital-inducible CYP2B genes in rat and mouse liverAntoine Amaury Lachaud
Centre de recherche en cancérologie de l Université Laval, L Hôtel Dieu de Québec, CHUQ, Quebec, Canada
Biochem Pharmacol 79:463-70. 2010..The rat CYP2B2 gene and its closely related mouse homolog, Cyp2b10, are both strongly induced in liver by phenobarbital. We found that there is phenobarbital-dependent recruitment of WRN to the promoter of the CYP2B2 gene as ..
- Novel TIRF microscopy analyzing trafficking & signaling at the cell cortexDerek Toomre; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consistent with the recovery act's goal, this funding will provide full-time summer employment for 4 undergraduate students and accelerate scientific achievement of the parent DP2 award...
- Nanoparticle Coupled Antioxidants for Respiratory Illness in VeteransRODNEY JON SCHLOSSER; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use a murine model of allergic fungal rhinosinusitis with exacerbation by smoke or DEP exposure to determine the efficacy of antiMUC1-SOD/CAT-NPs. ..
- Hydrodynamic forces modulate renal tubular functionRajeev Rohatgi; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Molecular Basis of E. coli Adhesins in Bladder DisordersScott J Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Understanding Pain of Gastrointestinal Origin in Women that Serve in OEF/OIFBeverley Greenwood-Van Meerveld; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, we will examine whether rats exposed to ELS show altered behavioral responses to chronic stress in adulthood compared to age-matched controls ..
- Improved Adventitial Sirolimus Therapy for Peripheral Artery RestenosisKIRK SEWARD; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Colitis Induced by immune responses to luminal bacteria-mouseRyan B Sartor; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- ROLE OF GUT PEPTIDES IN INTESTINAL PERISTALSISJohn R Grider; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results would open a new field of study and point the way to new avenues of investigation for pharmacological agents to treat diarrhea and/or constipation. ..
- Dietary Risk for Colon Cancer in the MouseLeonard H Augenlicht; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF GASTROINTESTINAL GROWTH AND TRANSFORMATIONJuanita L Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2013..Collectively, these studies will establish a link between ZBP-89 and pATMS1981, in the biosynthesis and function of 5HT in response to luminal butyrate. ..
- Control of Drug Delivery to the CNS: Modulating P-glycoprotein ActivityWilliam A Banks; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- EPICARDIAL ADIPOSE TISSUE, OBESITY AND INFLAMMATION IN ATHEROSCLEROSISDevendra K Agrawal; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed studies will provide conceptual support of our hypothesis and position us to translate our investigation into a clinical study in obese patients with coronary artery disease. ..
- Evaluation of novel FoxM1 inhibitors against liver cancerAndrei L Gartel; Fiscal Year: 2012..to test the anticancer properties of the thiazole antibiotics we will use a Diethylnitrosamine (DEN)/Phenobarbital (PB) liver tumor induction protocol in male mice and a new ARF-/- Rosa-26 FoxM1b TG mouse model of aggressive ..
- Effect of bisphenol A exposure on mammary stem cell function and transformationLuzhe Sun; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Role of Integrins in Bladder UrotheliumWarren G Hill; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project will provide new knowledge of the mechanisms by which the bladder senses filling and responds and in so doing may suggest new therapeutic options for bladder disease. ..
- Redox regulation of intestinal T cellsALAN DAVID LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2010..We can then target this molecule for 'correction'and in the future determine whether this type of treatment is an effective therapy for mucosal infections, vaccine development, or mucosal autoimmune-like diseases. ..
- Probiotic-Induced Elimination of Oxalate to treat HyperoxaluriaMarguerite Hatch; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Drug Transport at the Blood-Testis BarrierNathan J Cherrington; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Transcriptional Networks Regulating Luminal Environment in the EpididymisAnn Harris; Fiscal Year: 2013..Through modulation of this environment we may also be able to inhibit normal sperm maturation and thereby develop novel methods of birth control. ..
- Role of Neutrophil-Platelet Interactions in Vascular Occlusive DisordersNauder Faraday; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Route of Nutrition and Enteric Nervous System Effects on Innate Mucosal DefenseKenneth A Kudsk; Fiscal Year: 2013..We expect these studies will provide advances in our understanding of mucosal defenses and be highly relevant to critically injured and critically ill Veterans. ..
- Developmental Physiology of Ciliated EpitheliaCHRISTOPHER ROBERT KINTNER; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Central Mechanisms Modulating Visceral SensitivityBeverley Greenwood-Van Meerveld; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our findings may identify targets for the development of novel therapeutic strategies directed at the brain, to improve the treatment or even reduce the risk for the development of anxiety-linked visceral pain in Veterans. ..
- Calcium-sensing receptor signaling in the regulation of colonic epithelial cellsJUAN ENRIQUE ROZENGURT; Fiscal Year: 2012..The completion of the proposed studies will provide a robust intellectual framework for targeting the colonic CaSR in the chemoprevention of CRC in US veterans as well as in the US population at large. ..
- Mammary Gland Morphogenesis and Breast CancerIan G Macara; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have developed methods that facilitate the rapid analysis of gene function in mammary gland development and cancer. We will use these methods to identify new cancer genes, and to understand how breast cancers develop and metastasize. ..
- Regulation of Intestinal Epithelial Tight Junction BarrierThomas Y Ma; Fiscal Year: 2011..The purpose of this grant application is to elucidate the pathogenic mechanisms involved in bacterial antigen induced disruption of intestinal barrier (or development of leaky gut). ..
- Targeted epigenetic therapy of triple-negative breast cancerSamuel Waxman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Successful SID decoy development offers other therapeutic options for triple negative breast cancer and also novel drugable targets. ..
- Extracellular Replication of Listeria in VivoChristopher H Contag; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to use molecular imaging techniques to learn how this bacterium colonizes the gallbladder, constituting the only current animal model of the human carrier state of typhoid fever. ..
- Keratin Biology and Disease Aspects in Simple EpitheliaBishr Omary; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our ultimate goal is to better understand the function of keratins and their human disease relevance in digestive organs, and to provide fundamental knowledge on how the keratins family regulates normal digestive organ physiology. ..
- ROLE OF GUT PEPTIDES IN INTESTINAL PERISTALSISJOHN GRIDER; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Blood Pressure Regulation: Novel Roles for the KidneyPablo A Ortiz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus it will accelerate acquisition of knowledge of the novel mechanisms by which the kidney regulates blood pressure, and may provide new targets for anti-hypertensive drugs. ..
- Effects of apoptotic epithelial cell engulfment on mucosal inflammationPeter B Ernst; Fiscal Year: 2010..This new information may have therapeutic applications for the prevention or treatment of digestive diseases triggered by infection including inflammatory bowel diseases and infectious diarrhea. ..
- Mechanisms of abnormal enterochromaffin cell secretion in Crohn's diseaseMark S Kidd; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, it may provide the potential for novel therapeutic targets in Crohn's disease and possibly other forms of inflammatory bowel disease. ..
- Regulation of colitis by orphan nuclear receptor Nur77Dezheng Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our studies have high impact by linking Nur77 to IBD pathogenesis and indicate vascular components of inflammation that could serve as therapeutic targets. ..
- Molecular Profiles and Lifestyle Factors in Breast Cancer PrognosisBette J Caan; Fiscal Year: 2013..This population-based cohort is uniquely positioned to address several important gaps in our knowledge about cancer survivorship. ..
- V-ATPase H+ PUMP REGULATION IN FUEL ENERGY SELECTIONKarlett J Parra; Fiscal Year: 2013..As pathophysiology of the glucose-fatty acid cycle results in metabolic disorders including diabetes and chronic kidney disease, our studies will also contribute towards their understanding. ..
- MECHANISMS OF ARTERIAL GRAFT HEALINGAlexander W Clowes; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- CD36 and Intestinal Fat AbsorptionNada A Abumrad; Fiscal Year: 2013..We should learn whether targeting intestinal CD36 may be beneficial in disorders like obesity, insulin resistance and gallstone formation. ..
- Development and Functional Analysis of Components of the Zebrafish Serotonin SignKenneth N Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2012..Genetic defects identified in this research will contribute to understanding these conditions. ..
- Cholecystokinin - Role in postprandial gastric motilityHelen E Raybould; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Milk oligosaccharides, bifidobacteria and intestinal epithelium.Maciej Chichlowski; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Regulation of Genomic Instability in Early Breast CancerThea D Tlsty; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Specific Contribution of a New IG Isotype (IGT) in Teleost Fish Immune ResponsesJ Oriol Sunyer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore, a better knowledge of the fish immune system is essential to the development of new therapeutic agents and vaccines to prevent fish diseases. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF PEPTIDE AMIDATIONELIZABETH ANNE EIPPER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both enzymatic activities of PAM have been extensively studied and their enzymology and biology, along with the biological consequences of inadequate ability to perform peptide amidation, form the basis of this work. ..
- VITAMIN D AND IMMUNOMODULATION IN CORONARY ARTERY DISEASEDevendra K Agrawal; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- In vivo mechanisms of methamphetamine-induced neuronal necrosisDenson G Fujikawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..a calpain substrate, to document calpain I activation;(5) parentera administration of diazepam and phenobarbital after METH administration to stop electrographic seizures, which we predict will also provide neuroprotection ..
- Effects of gastric bypass on the gut microbiota and energy balanceAlice Liou; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Axial Flow Effects in Proximal TubuleTONG WANG WANG; Fiscal Year: 2012..Possible benefits include identification of target molecules, which may be blocked or modified in order to modulate sodium reabsorption by the kidney. ..
- Microbial Invasion of the Intestine at the Cell Extrusion Zone of the Villus TipManuel R Amieva; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose to study a new paradigm that explains how Listeria monocytogenes, and perhaps also other invasive enteropathogens, breach the intestinal barrier. ..
- Intercellular networks and luminal acidification in the male reproductive tractSylvie Breton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Data generated here will provide novel insights into the male reproductive tract in particular, as well as the physiology of acid/base transporting epithelia in general. ..
- A her-2/neu Pulsed DC1 Vaccine for Patients with DCISBRIAN JOSEPH CZERNIECKI; Fiscal Year: 2012..It is anticipated that the production of chemokines and cytokines by DC1 will lead to accelerated accumulation of specific and non-specific effectors in the area of DCIS and further clinical responses. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms Regulating Intestinal HomeostasisVincent W Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Calcium Regulation in Airway Smooth MuscleGary C Sieck; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will the foundation for better understanding of airway diseases, and potential development of new therapeutic targets. ..
- Aldehydes in Alcohol-Induced Organ InjuryZhanxiang Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..Effects of ALDH2-recombinant L. acidophilus, zinc and resveratrol on aldehyde clearance and alcohol-induced organ injury will be determined. PHS 398/2590 (Rev. 06/09) Page Continuation Format Page ..
- Gut L-Histidine Metabolism and Histamine Signaling in Colonic NeoplasiaJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies may point the way towards an improved understanding of how diet and the microbiome affect cancer risk in human populations. ..
- Embryonic Development of the Mammalian EpididymisBarry T Hinton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically they will provide an understanding as to how the regulation of growth of the epididymis during development is important clinically. ..
- Novel Roles of Intracrine Angiotensin II in Proximal Tubule CellsJia Zhuo; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will provide new insights into important roles of intracellular or intracrine Ang II in the regulation of salt and fluid transport in proximal tubules of the kidney and in the pathogenesis of hypertension. ..
- A Novel Brachytherapy Agent for GBMFRANK CALZONE; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have assembled a unique team of experts including: a neurosurgeon, disintegrin/integrin specialist, molecular biologist, radiation oncologist, medical physicist, animal model specialist and biostatistician. ..
- Mechanisms of Fatty Acid Metabolism in Prostate Differentiation and DiseaseDOUGLAS WILLIAM STRAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on preliminary data, it is expected that prostate insulin insensitivity increases PDK4 levels and fatty acid flux, leading to hyperplasia, inflammation and resistance to therapy in BPH. ..
- 3-Dimensional modeling of basal cell function in pseudostratified epitheliaSylvie Breton; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Human Intestinal Microbiota on Success of Surgical Weight Loss ProceduresBRUCE EDWARD RITTMANN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The ultimate goal is to find microorganisms that help weight loss following bariatric surgery. ..
- A Luminal Vascular Coating to Prevent Intimal Hyperplasia Following Creation of aKate Stuart; Fiscal Year: 2013..Successful completion of this project will lead to a potential novel therapy to reduce the incidence of failure in vascular access for hemodialysis patients ..
- ENDOTHELIAL INJURY AND CYTOPROTECTIONJACK HAWIGER; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Novel minimally invasive assessment of gastrointestinal inflammation in food alleGlenn Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Mucus Penetrating Nanoparticles for Vaginal Drug DeliveryJustin Hanes; Fiscal Year: 2009..If successful, this project could lead to the development of sustained drug delivery systems that are more convenient, and more effective, for preventing and treating diseases than methods now available. ..
- Apical Chloride/Bicarbonate Exchangers in Small Intestine and KidneyManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- BACTERIAL INDUCED COLITIS IN HLA-B27 RATSLEVINUS DIELEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..This expertise will foster the development of an independent investigator with skills in both clinical and basic science. ..
- Fractional flow reserve measurement based on coronary angiographic imagesSABEE Y MOLLOI; Fiscal Year: 2010..This quantification technique could be used to measure fractional flow reserve in patients undergoing standard coronary arteriography. ..
- COMPARISON OF RAT & TROUT HEPATIC P450 INDUCTIONJOHN LECH; Fiscal Year: 1993The broad, long-term objective in this proposal is to gain insight into the mechanism by which phenobarbital and phenobarbital-type (e.g...
- REGULATION OF AUTOREACTIVE T CELLS IN IL10 KNOCKOUT MICEPeter Ernst; Fiscal Year: 1999..Clarifying the role of these cytokines controlling auto-reactive T cells will define the pathogenesis of colitis and identify therapeutic strategies that can be applied to these intestinal diseases. ..
- BRAIN PHOSPHOINOSITIDES AND BARBITURATESDIWAKAR DESHMUKH; Fiscal Year: 1993..of anesthetics and anticonvulsants is not yet clarified although the most useful of anticonvulsant drugs, phenobarbital, has been in use for 75 years...