Summary: A nicotinic antagonist most commonly used as an experimental tool. It has been used as a ganglionic blocker in the treatment of hypertension but has largely been supplanted for that purpose by more specific drugs.
- Pharmacological evaluation of the antagonism of nicotine's central effects by mecamylamine and pempidineT J Martin
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 254:45-51. 1990The nature of mecamylamine's and pempidine's antagonism of nicotine in the central nervous system has not been defined clearly...
- Distinct presynaptic control of dopamine release in striosomal- and matrix-enriched areas of the rat striatum by selective agonists of NK1, NK2, and NK3 tachykinin receptorsL Tremblay
Laboratoire de Neuropharmacologie, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 114, College de France, Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:11214-8. 1992....
- Mathematical assessment of qualitative diagnostic calibration for respiratory inductive plethysmographyA De Groote
Biomedical Physics Laboratory, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
J Appl Physiol (1985) 90:1025-30. 2001..More generally, physiological conclusions based on QDC should be critically evaluated on a case-by-case basis...
- Understanding channel blocking in the nicotinic acetylcholine receptorM O Ortells
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquímicas CONICET, CC 857, 8000 Bahia Blanca, Argentina
Receptors Channels 7:273-88. 2001..This represents a strong support for the validity of the predictions made for those molecules for which no experimental data is available and also for the models and methods on which are based...
- Images in clinical medicine. Massive air embolism in a neonate with pulmonary hypoplasiaGim H Tan
Miami Children s Hospital, Miami, FL 33155, USA
N Engl J Med 346:751. 2002
- Comparison of three nonlinear and spline regression models for describing chicken growth curvesS E Aggrey
Poultry Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Poultry Science, The University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602 2772, USA
Poult Sci 81:1782-8. 2002..Carcass yields among the different growth trajectories (m) were similar within sexes. However, the proportions of the major breast muscle and abdominal fat differed according to the m a bird followed...
- Dronedarone for prevention of atrial fibrillation: a dose-ranging studyPaul Touboul
Division of Cardiology, Hopital Cardiologique, Lyon, France
Eur Heart J 24:1481-7. 2003..This study was designed to determine the most appropriate dose of dronedarone for prevention of atrial fibrillation (AF) after cardioversion...
- Late-onset ureteric urinoma with intermittent jet flow as a complication of ureterolithotomyBirsen Unal
Department of Radiology, Kirikkale University School of Medicine, , Kirikkale, Turkey
J Clin Ultrasound 32:264-6. 2004..The urinoma was surgically resected and ureteroneocystostomy was performed...
- Racial differences in adipocyte size and relationship to the metabolic syndrome in obese womenThomas J Tittelbach
Baltimore VA Medical Center, Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center BT GR 18, 10 N Greene Street, MD 21201, USA
Obes Res 12:990-8. 2004..To determine whether racial differences exist in the relationship of the abnormalities defining the metabolic syndrome (MS) to regional adiposity and fat cell size (FCS) in obese postmenopausal women...
- Comparison of outcomes between Burch colposuspension with and without concomitant abdominal hysterectomySang Wook Bai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 45:665-70. 2004..2% (73/80) in the hysterectomy groups. The results showed that there were no adverse effects on the 1 year follow-up outcomes or complications in patients who underwent a Burch colposuspension with an abdominal hysterectomy...
- Corticosterone implants to the amygdala and type 1 CRH receptor regulation: effects on behavior and colonic sensitivityDean A Myers
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73014, USA
Behav Brain Res 161:39-44. 2005..These results provide further evidence for the role of the CRH type 1 receptor to ameliorate both behavioral and physiological functions...
- Visceral adiposity, not abdominal subcutaneous fat area, is associated with an increase in future insulin resistance in Japanese AmericansTomoshige Hayashi
Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System S 152E, 1660 S Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Diabetes 57:1269-75. 2008..We sought to determine whether greater visceral adiposity directly measured by computed tomography (CT) is associated with increased future insulin resistance independent of other adipose depots...
- The relevance of image quality indices for dose optimization in abdominal multi-detector row CT in children: experimental assessment with pediatric phantomsH J Brisse
Imaging Department, Institut Curie, 26 rue d Ulm 75005 Paris, France
Phys Med Biol 54:1871-92. 2009..g., to get a constant 7 mm rLCD(1%) for abdominal diameters of 10, 13, 16, 20 and 25 cm, tube current-time product should be adjusted in order to obtain CTDIvol(16) values of 6.2, 7.2, 8.8, 11.6 and 17.7 mGy, respectively)...
- Practical and highly enantioselective ring opening of cyclic meso-anhydrides mediated by cinchona alkaloidsC Bolm
Institut fur Organische Chemie der RWTH Aachen, Prof Pirlet Strasse 1, D 52056 Aachen, Germany
J Org Chem 65:6984-91. 2000..Additionally, a catalytic protocol which permits the substoichiometric use of quinidine in the presence of easily accessible pentamethylpiperidine (pempidine) is presented.
- [A comparative study of the central H-cholinergic-blocking and NMDA-blocking actions of MK-801, memantin, amantadine, pyrilen and IEM-1754 in experiments on intact rats]V E Gmiro
Anichkov Department of Neuropharmacology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, St Petersburg, Russia
Eksp Klin Farmakol 63:16-20. 2000....
- Functional heterogeneity of the matrix compartment in the cat caudate nucleus as demonstrated by the cholinergic presynaptic regulation of dopamine releaseM L Kemel
College de France, INSERM U114, Paris, France
Neuroscience 50:597-610. 1992..stimulation of [3H]dopamine release was transformed into a long-lasting response in the presence of pempidine (50 microM), in matrix 2 but not in matrix 1 while prolonged responses were seen in both matrix areas in the ..
- Ultrastructural changes of crop-sac and lactotrophs after systemic or intraventricular administration of drugs enhancing cholinergic transmission in pigeonsD Rotiroti
Institute of Veterinary Pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Messina, Italy
Anat Anz 173:199-208. 1991..lactotrophs stimulatory effects were prevented by an atropine pretreatment, but not by mecamylamine and pempidine pretreatments...
- Effects of nicotinic agonists and antagonists on N-methyl-D-aspartate-induced 3H-norepinephrine release and 3H-(1-[1-(2-thienyl)cyclohexyl]-piperidine) binding in rat hippocampusL D Snell
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77550
Synapse 3:129-35. 1989..Binding studies indicated that MECA and the related nicotinic antagonist pempidine produced an inhibition of NMDA-stimulated NE release by an action at the PCP receptor that is known to be linked ..
- Distinct presynaptic control of dopamine release in striosomal and matrix areas of the cat caudate nucleusM L Kemel
Laboratoire de Neuropharmacologie, College de France, Paris
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86:9006-10. 1989..The latter effect was completely abolished by the nicotinic antagonist pempidine (10(-5) M)...
- Enhancement of naturally occurring cell death in the sympathetic and parasympathetic ganglia of the chicken embryo following blockade of ganglionic transmissionJ L Maderdrut
Department of Anatomy, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27103
Brain Res 444:189-94. 1988..These results indicate that the decreased number of healthy ganglion cells that followed ganglionic blockade was the result of enhanced naturally occurring cell death...
- Surgical and pharmacological reductions in sympathetic nerve activity increase the neuropeptide Y-immunoreactivity content of the rat iris but not the vas deferensC Maccarrone
University of Melbourne, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Unit, Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Life Sci 42:2633-8. 1988..the iris was increased by decentralization (+40%) 3 days post-surgery, and treatment with clonidine (+43%), and pempidine (+82%)...
- Antagonism of the nicotine-induced changes of the striatal dopamine metabolism in mice by mecamylamine and pempidineH Haikala
University of Helsinki, Department of Pharmacy, Finland
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 338:169-73. 1988The ability of nicotinic receptor blockers, mecamylamine and pempidine, to antagonize the changes in striatal dopamine (DA) metabolism induced by repeated nicotine administration was studied...
- Pharmacological characterization of a nicotinic autoreceptor in rat hippocampal synaptosomesG I Wilkie
School of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, United Kingdom
Neurochem Res 21:1141-8. 1996..was Ca(2+)-dependent, and blocked by the nicotinic antagonists dihydro-beta-erythroidine, mecamylamine, and pempidine. The alpha 7-selective antagonist methyllycaconitine did not inhibit nicotine-evoked release when tested at 1 ..
- [3H]benzylpempidine, a new radioligand for probing a putative channel site on nicotinic cholinergic receptorsD X Wang
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Rochester Medical Center, NY 14642, USA
Life Sci 60:1271-7. 1997..Although the K(i) values for pempidine and mecamylamine were 1-2 orders of magnitude greater than any of the arylpempidines, the dose required to ..
- Nicotinic antagonists (piperidines and quinuclidines) reduce the susceptibility of early sea urchin embryos to agents evoking calcium shockG A Buznikov
N K Koltzov Institute of Developmental Biology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Gen Pharmacol 29:49-53. 1997..3. Early sea urchin embryos have nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChR) or nAChR-like structures localized on the cell surface that, apparently, take part in the control of Ca2+ influx...
- [Effects of drugs on re-excitability of synapses of isolated frog ganglia]K M Sándorné
Szent Gyórgyi Albert Orvostudományi Egyetem Gyógyszerhatástani Intézete, Szeged
Acta Pharm Hung 66:259-64. 1996..Using paired stimulation we demonstrated that hexamethonium, magnesium, pempidine, tetraethylammonium (TEA) and d-tubocurarine chlorides significantly prolonged both NEP and REP at ganglion ..
- Magnetic "fishing" assay to screen small-molecule mixtures for modulators of protein-protein interactionsMeghan J McFadden
Chemical Biology Graduate Program, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4M1, Canada
Anal Chem 82:9850-7. 2010..activity, and two newly identified modulators of the CaM-Mel interaction, methylbenzethonium and pempidine tartrate...