Genomes and Genes
Summary: Colorless to yellow dye that is reducible to blue or black formazan crystals by certain cells; formerly used to distinguish between nonbacterial and bacterial diseases, the latter causing neutrophils to reduce the dye; used to confirm diagnosis of chronic granulomatous disease.
Publications233 found, 100 shown here
- Application of the nitroblue tetrazolium-reduction method for studies on the production of reactive oxygen species in insect haemocytesV V Glupov
Insect Pathology Laboratory, Institute of Animal Systematics and Ecology, Siberian Branch Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk
Cytobios 106:165-78. 2001..sibiricus, Aglais urticae (Lepidoptera) and Gryllus bimaculatus (Orthoptera), was studied by the method of nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction...
- Production of superoxide anion by head-kidney leucocytes of Indian major carps immunised with bacterins of Aeromonas hydrophilaM Basheera John
Department of Animal Science, School of Life Sciences, Bharathidasan University, Tamil Nadu, India
Fish Shellfish Immunol 12:201-7. 2002..D. values for nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction reaction, reflecting an increase in superoxide anion production, from day 1 post ..
- Chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and oxidative metabolism in bovine macrophages exposed to a novel interdigital phlegmon (foot rot) lesion isolate, Porphyromonas leviiMichaela R V Walter
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, AB, Canada
Am J Vet Res 63:757-62. 2002..To examine the host response toward Porphyromonas levii, by evaluating chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and oxidative burst of bovine macrophages in vitro...
- Evaluation of the polymorphonuclear cell functions of bottlenose dolphinsKatsura Noda
Department of Veterinary Surgery, Veterinary Science, Graduate School of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University, Osaka, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 65:727-9. 2003..077; superoxide production was assessed by nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test (NBT) and phagocytosis was tested by using polystyrene latex beads...
- A quantitative nitroblue tetrazolium assay for determining intracellular superoxide anion production in phagocytic cellsHyung Sim Choi
Laboratory of Cell Signaling, Inha University College of Medicine, Incheon, Korea
J Immunoassay Immunochem 27:31-44. 2006Conventionally, a semi-quantitative microscopic nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) assay is used to determine the production of superoxide anion (O2(-)) in various phagocytic cells...
- Use of the nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test for the evaluation of Domperidone effects on the neutrophilic function of healthy dogsPablo Gómez-Ochoa
Animal Pathology Department, University of Zaragoza, Miguel Servet 177, CP 50013 Zaragoza, Spain
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 146:97-9. 2012The nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test (NBT) is an assay based on the activation percentage of neutrophils in peripheral blood, that has been proposed for the follow up of canine leishmaniosis owing to the narrow relationship between ..
- The nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test in canine leishmaniasisPablo Gómez-Ochoa
Animal Pathology Department, University of Zaragoza, Miguel Servet 177, CP 50013 Zaragoza, Spain
Vet Parasitol 172:135-8. 2010The nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test (NBT) is a quick, easy and cheap assay based on the activation percentage of neutrophils in peripheral blood...
- The reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium by total blood in periodontitis patients and the agedJuozas Zilinskas
Department of Dental and Maxillar Orthopedics, Kaunas University of Medicine Mickevièiaus 9, Kaunas, Lithuania
Stomatologija 9:105-8. 2007..The aim of the current study was to investigate the reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) by the total blood in persons with periodontitis and aged subjects...
- The reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium by red blood cells: a measure of Red Cell membrane antioxidant capacity and hemoglobin-membrane binding sitesA A Demehin
Molecular Dynamics Section, Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology, National Institute on Aging, Gerontology Research Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Free Radic Res 34:605-20. 2001The reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) with intact Red Blood Cells (RBCs) is biphasic with an initial rapid reduction followed by a slower second phase...
- In-gel detection of urease with nitroblue tetrazolium and quantification of the enzyme from different crop plants using the indophenol reactionC P Witte
Unit of Plant Biochemistry, Scottish Crop Research Institute, Invergowrie, DD2 5DA, United Kingdom
Anal Biochem 290:102-7. 2001..The quantification of less than 5 mU/ml extract is possible...
- Utility of the nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test for assessment of reactive oxygen species production by seminal leukocytes and spermatozoaNavid Esfandiari
IVF and Andrology Laboratories, Toronto Center for ART, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Androl 24:862-70. 2003..the ability of spermatozoa and leukocytes in semen to produce reactive oxygen species (ROS) by using nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) staining and to examine the association between NBT staining and levels of ROS as measured by ..
- A convenient assay of glycoserum by nitroblue tetrazolium with iodoacetamideYa jie Xu
Laboratory of Visual Information Processing, Centre for Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 15 Da Tun Rd, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, China
Clin Chim Acta 325:127-31. 2002To determine glycoserum, the nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) assay is quick, economical, convenient and easily automated. This method, however, is vulnerable to interference by thiol group, which should not be ignored during the analysis.
- Superoxide-superoxide oxidoreductase activity of the captopril-copper complexDavid Jay
Departamento de Biomedicina Cardiovascular, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Juan Badiano 1, 14080 Mexico City, D F, Mexico
Arch Med Res 33:115-22. 2002..Results may help to explain the interaction of captopril with reactive oxygen species in the stunned myocardium where substantial mobilization of copper and iron in the coronary flow following ischemia has been reported...
- Severe clinical forms of cytochrome b-negative chronic granulomatous disease (X91-) in 3 brothers with a point mutation in the promoter region of CYBBMarie José Stasia
GREPI EA 2938, Laboratoire d Enzymologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Grenoble, France
J Infect Dis 188:1593-604. 2003..It was concluded that the O(2)(-) production in the neutrophils of these patients was not sufficient to protect them against infections, and this X91(-) CGD phenotype must be considered to be a severe clinical form of CGD...
- Antioxidative constituents from Lycopus lucidusEun Rhan Woo
College of Pharmacy, Chosun University, Gwangju 501 759, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 27:173-6. 2004..The IC50 values for compounds 1-5 were 2.59, 1.42, 0.78, 2.83, and 3.05 microg/mL respectively. In addition, five compounds were isolated from this plant for the first time...
- Delayed differentiation of HL-60 cells following exposure to hypoxiaXiaosong Song
Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, 07103, USA
J Surg Res 108:243-9. 2002..In this study, we examined if this defect is at the stage of terminal differentiation with the myelomonocytic cell line HL-60...
- Madhucosides A and B, protobassic acid glycosides from Madhuca indica with inhibitory activity on free radical release from phagocytesRahul S Pawar
Department of Natural Products, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Sector 67, SAS Nagar, Punjab 160062, India
J Nat Prod 67:668-71. 2004....
- Discovery of novel inducers of cellular differentiation using HL-60 promyelocytic cellsE Mata-Greenwood
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Anticancer Res 21:1763-70. 2001..We conclude that the HL-60 cell model is a useful system for the discovery of novel pharmacophores with potential to suppress the process of carcinogenesis, and that flavonoids may be especially useful in this capacity...
- Comparative study of the heterophil phagocytic function in young and old ring doves (Streptopelia risoria) and its relationship with melatonin levelsM P Terron
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Science, University of Extremadura, Avda Elvas s n, 06071, Badajoz, Spain
J Comp Physiol B 174:421-7. 2004....
- Porphyromonas endodontalis binds, reduces and grows on human hemoglobinM Zerr
Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 16:229-34. 2001..endodontalis grew when supplied only hemoglobin. Therefore, we conclude that hemoglobin appears to serve as a sole carbon and nitrogen source, and that these bacteria reduce extracellular compounds at the expense of oxidized substrates...
- Experimental evidence that flavonoid metal complexes may act as mimics of superoxide dismutaseV A Kostyuk
Byelorussian State University, Minsk, Belarus
Arch Biochem Biophys 428:204-8. 2004..The findings directly demonstrate superoxide scavenging activity of metal ions in complexes with flavonoids and support earlier suggestions that flavonoid metal complexes may exhibit superoxide dismuting activity...
- Arachidonic acid triggers an oxidative burst in leukocytesC Pompeia
National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Braz J Med Biol Res 36:1549-60. 2003..The oxidative burst was assessed by nitroblue tetrazolium reduction...
- Potential cidal activity of neutrophilic granulocytes in rabbits immunised with Chlamydia psittaci-Gocaltovo strainM Pawlikowska
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Szczecin, Felczaka 3a, 71 412 Szczecin, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 6:28-30. 2003..The results obtained indicated that immunization of rabbits with Ch. psittaci-Gocaltovo strain induced increased cidal activity of neutrophilic granulocytes four weeks earlier than the augmented titers of specific antibodies...
- Violacein and its beta-cyclodextrin complexes induce apoptosis and differentiation in HL60 cellsPatricia S Melo
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, CP 6109, CEP 13083 970 Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Toxicology 186:217-25. 2003..In addition, caspases seem to play an important role in the activation of the executioner phase of apoptosis induced by violacein and its derivatives...
- Costunolide induces differentiation of human leukemia HL-60 cellsJung Hye Choi
College of Pharmacy, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 25:480-4. 2002..These results, accompanied by a decline in the expression of c-myc protein, suggest that costunolide induces differentiation of human leukemia cells to granulocytes and monocytes/macrophages lineage...
- Effects of antioxidants on surfactant peroxidation by stimulated human polymorphonuclear leukocytesRabea K L Bouhafs
Department of Immunology, Microbiology and Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, S 14186 Stockholm, Sweden
Free Radic Res 36:727-34. 2002..The superoxide production of neutrophils activated by Candida albicans was measured with the nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) test...
- NAD(P)H oxidase participates in the signaling events in high glucose-induced proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cellsHyun Seung Lee
Department of Pharmacology and Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Pusan National University, 10 Ami dong 1 ga, Seo Gu, Busan 602 739, South Korea
Life Sci 72:2719-30. 2003..The nitroblue tetrazolium staining in the HG-exposed VSMC was more prominent than that of VSMC under normal glucose (5...
- Head kidney neutrophils of carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) are functionally modulated by the haemoflagellateTrypanoplasma borreliJ P Scharsack
Fish Disease Research Unit, School of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, P O Box 711180, D 30545, Hannover, Germany
Fish Shellfish Immunol 14:389-403. 2003....
- Superoxide anion production during Anaplasma phagocytophila infectionTian Wang
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Infect Dis 186:274-80. 2002..Mutations in gp91(phox) result in chronic granulomatous disease (CGD), which is diagnosed by use of the nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) and Fc-Oxyburst assays that examine whether cells produce O2-...
- Detection and visualization of oxidase activity in phagocytesMaurice B Hallett
University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Methods Mol Biol 225:61-7. 2003
- Reduction of mercuric ion in vitro by superoxide anionHiromi Aikoh
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Okayama University of Science, 1 1 Ridai cho, Okayama City 700 0005, Japan
Physiol Chem Phys Med NMR 34:185-9. 2002..The reduction rate of mercuric ion by a superoxide anion in the presence of nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) was proportional to the concentration of NBT...
- Nod factor induction of reactive oxygen species production is correlated with expression of the early nodulin gene rip1 in Medicago truncatulaSenthil K Ramu
Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843 2132, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 15:522-8. 2002..Taken together, these results suggest that ROS production is a consequence of specific Nod factor perception and implicate H2O2 produced during this response as a mediator of Nod factor-induced rip1 expression...
- Superoxide dismutase activity and electrochemical study of the binuclear [Cu(TSA)2py]2 complexBeatriz Susana Parajón Costa
Centro de Química Inorgánica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, UNLP, La Plata, Argentina
J Trace Elem Med Biol 16:183-6. 2002..The complex exhibits a marked SOD activity in the nitroblue tetrazolium assay...
- Effects of chronic administration of the novel endothelin antagonist J-104132 on endothelial dysfunction in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratNoriyasu Kanie
Department of Physiology and Morphology, Institute of Medicinal Chemistry, Hoshi University, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8501, Japan
Br J Pharmacol 135:1935-42. 2002..7. These results suggest that in STZ-induced diabetic rats, ET-1 may be directly involved in impairing endothelium-dependent relaxation via increased superoxide-anion production...
- Effects of secretory products of activated neutrophils on morphological composition and functional activity of peritoneal exudation cells during inflammation of staphylococcal originI E Tretyakova
Institute of Immunology, Chelyabinsk State Medical Academy
Bull Exp Biol Med 137:175-8. 2004....
- Inhibition of oxidative burst and chemotaxis in human phagocytes by Legionella pneumophila zinc metalloproteaseN N Sahney
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of Louisville, KY 40292, USA
J Med Microbiol 50:517-25. 2001..ZAP-induced chemiluminescence by PMNLs and mononuclear cells and fMLP-induced PMNL nitroblue tetrazolium dye reduction were both significantly inhibited...
- The effects of heavy metals on common carp white blood cells in vitroMałgorzata Witeska
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Podlasie, Siedlce, Poland
Altern Lab Anim 35:87-92. 2007..lymphocytes was determined after Trypan blue staining, and phagocyte activity was measured by using the nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction test...
- Trypanosoma lewisi-induced immunosuppression: the effects on alveolar macrophage activities against Cryptococcus neoformansNorma Teresa Gross
Centro de Investigaciones en Enfermedades Tropicales CIET, Facultad de Microbiologia, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Pedro Mts de Oca, Costa Rica
Exp Parasitol 113:262-6. 2006..Phagocytosis was assessed with a fluorescence method. Superoxide anion production was evaluated with the nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) test. The survival of cryptococci was estimated by counting colony-forming units...
- A fast and easy nitroblue tetrazolium method for carrier screening and prenatal detection of chronic granulomatous diseaseMaryam Ayatollahi
Transplant Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 71935 1119, Shiraz, Iran
Arch Iran Med 9:335-8. 2006..It has long been established that stimulated polymorphonuclear leukocytes reduce nitroblue tetrazolium. Application of a simple and reliable nitroblue tetrazolium method that clearly differentiates the chronic ..
- Effect of quercitrin gallate on zymosan A-induced peroxynitrite production in macrophagesByung Hak Kim
College of Pharmacy and Research Center for Bioresource and Health, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju 361 763, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 30:733-8. 2007..Finally, this study could provide a pharmacological potential of QGR in the oxidative stress-implicated disorders...
- Effects of glutathione and ascorbic acid on streptomycin sensitivity of Escherichia coliManish Goswami
Molecular Biology Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Trombay, Mumbai 400085, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:1119-22. 2007..We concluded that reduced streptomycin sensitivity in the presence of glutathione and ascorbic acid is not due to the antioxidant-mediated scavenging of ROS...
- Hydrogen peroxide mediates a transient vasorelaxation with tempol during oxidative stressYifan Chen
Cardiovascular Kidney Hypertension Institute, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Georgetown Univ, 4000 Reservoir Road, NW, Bldg D 399, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H2085-92. 2007..Tempol and nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) both metabolize superoxide in vascular smooth muscle cells, but only tempol generates H(2)O(2)...
- Disruption of skeletal myocytes initiates superoxide release: contribution of NADPH oxidaseUta Kerkweg
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstr 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Shock 27:552-8. 2007..This suggests a decisive role of ROS in the pathogenesis of tissue trauma, with superoxide being an initiator of the signaling mechanism from injured myocytes to the surrounding tissue and, potentially, to the whole body...
- Phenolic compounds, organic acids profiles and antioxidative properties of beefsteak fungus (Fistulina hepatica)Barbara Ribeiro
REQUIMTE Servico de Farmacognosia, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade do Porto, R Anibal Cunha, 164, 4050 047 Porto, Portugal
Food Chem Toxicol 45:1805-13. 2007..Little ability for iron chelation was also observed. Beefsteak fungus showed a weak protective effect against hypochlorous acid...
- NOX4 activity is determined by mRNA levels and reveals a unique pattern of ROS generationLena Serrander
Foundation for Medical Research, University of Geneva, 64 av de la Roseraie, 1205, Geneva, Switzerland
Biochem J 406:105-14. 2007..In conclusion, NOX4 has a distinct pharmacology and pattern of ROS generation. The close correlation between NOX4 mRNA and ROS generation might hint towards a function as an inducible NOX isoform...
- Effects of physical exercise and aging on ascorbic acid and superoxide anion levels in peritoneal macrophages from mice and guinea pigsM de la Fuente
Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
J Comp Physiol B 165:315-9. 1995..In old animals the exhaustive exercise did not change the O2- levels. The results suggest in general a lack of correlation between the intracellular ascorbate and O2- levels in relation to both physical exercise and aging...
- Radical scavenging activities of Rio Red grapefruits and Sour orange fruit extracts in different in vitro model systemsG K Jayaprakasha
Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center, Department of Horticultural Sciences, Texas A and M University, 1500 Research Parkway, Suite 120A, College Station, TX 77845, USA
Bioresour Technol 99:4484-94. 2008..using in vitro model systems such as 1,1-diphenyl-2-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH), phosphomolybdenum method and nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction at different concentrations...
- Antioxidant property of an active component purified from the leaves of paraquat-tolerant Rehmannia glutinosaSo Soon Kim
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Department of Orthodontics, Institute of Oral Biosciences, Chonbuk National University, Chonju, Korea
Redox Rep 10:311-8. 2005..of acteoside differ from those of ascorbic acid in that the superoxide anion-mediated reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium was actively inhibited by acteoside but not by ascorbic acid...
- Mechanism, measurement, and prevention of oxidative stress in male reproductive physiologyAshok Agarwal
Center for Advanced Research in Human Reproduction, Infertility, and Sexual Function, Glickman Urological Institute, and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio, 44195, USA
Indian J Exp Biol 43:963-74. 2005..We have also provided information on oxidative stress in other systems of the body, which may be applied to future research in the field of reproductive biology...
- Rac2 is an essential regulator of neutrophil nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase activation in response to specific signaling pathwaysC Kim
The Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Department of Pediatrics, The James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Immunol 166:1223-32. 2001..The effect of Rac2 deficiency on superoxide production is probably exerted through multiple pathways, including those independent of mitogen-activated protein kinase activation...
- Differing phagocytic function of monocytes and neutrophils in Chagas' cardiopathy according to the presence or absence of congestive heart failureMaria Imaculada Muniz-Junqueira
Laboratório de Imunologia Celular da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Brasília, Brasilia, DF, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:447-53. 2004..Balanced opposite effects of cardiovascular and immune disturbances may be acting in Chagas' disease subjects with heart failure paradoxically recovering the altered phagocytic function...
- The isolation and antioxidative effects of vitexin from Acer palmatumJin Hwa Kim
R and D Center, Hanbul Cosmetics Co Ltd, 72 7 Yongsung ri, Samsung myun, Umsung kun, Chungbuk, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 28:195-202. 2005..In conclusion, our findings suggest that vitexin can be effectively used for the prevention of UV-induced adverse skin reactions such as free radical production and skin cell damage...
- [Effect of smoking on neutrophil oxidative metabolism]Darius Zasimauskas
Kauno medicinos universiteto Dantu ir zandikauliu ortopedijos klinika
Medicina (Kaunas) 44:195-200. 2008..The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of smoking on neutrophil oxidative metabolism...
- Specific anticancer activity of a new bisabolane sesquiterpene against human leukemia cells inducing differentiation in vitroHuan Wang
School of Life Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, P R China
Pharmazie 62:699-704. 2007..b>Nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction, phagocytosis of latex beads, and cell electrophoresis all demonstrated that this ..
- Selective inhibition of IgG-mediated phagocytosis in gelsolin-deficient murine neutrophilsL Serrander
Divison of Infectious Diseases, University of Geneva, Switzerland
J Immunol 165:2451-7. 2000..Our data suggest that gelsolin is part of the molecular machinery that distinguishes complement and IgG-mediated phagocytosis. The latter requires a more dynamic reorganization of the cytoskeleton...
- Effects of propolis on cell growth and gene expression in HL-60 cellsSatoshi Mishima
Nagaragawa Research Center, API Co Ltd, 692 3 Nagara, Gifu 502 0071, Japan
J Ethnopharmacol 99:5-11. 2005..Propolis-induced growth inhibition in HL-60 cells was, at least in part, due to differentiation with gene expression profiles, which are similar to those induced by all-trans retinoic acid...
- Caloric restriction augments ROS defense in S. cerevisiae, by a Sir2p independent mechanismShruti Agarwal
Department of Biotechnology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education, and Research Sector 67, S A S Nagar, Punjab 160062, India
Free Radic Res 39:55-62. 2005..No marked difference was found in CR mediated activation of SOD and catalase in the absence of Sir2. Our results suggest that in CR scavenging enzymes are activated by a Sir2 independent manner...
- Phagocytic function of human blood polymorphonuclear leukocytes in the presence of carrageenan, a potential vaginal microbicideStephen E Malawista
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, 300 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Inflammation 30:131-5. 2007..Moreover, PMN move at normal speeds, respond chemotactically, and reduce nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) to formazan on stimulation...
- Vasopressin-induced protein kinase C-dependent superoxide generation contributes to atp-sensitive potassium channel but not calcium-sensitive potassium channel function impairment after brain injuryW M Armstead
Departments of Anesthesia and Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Stroke 32:1408-14. 2001..We tested whether vasopressin generates O(2)(-) in a protein kinase C (PKC)-dependent manner, which could link vasopressin release to impaired K(ATP) and K(Ca) channel-induced pial artery dilation after FPI...
- [Anti-inflammatory constituents, aloesin and aloemannan in Aloe species and effects of tanshinon VI in Salvia miltiorrhiza on heart]Akira Yagi
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuyama University, 985 Gakuen cho, Fukuyama 729 0292, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 123:517-32. 2003..In preclinical study, aloe extract was investigated using phagocytosis and nitroblue tetrazolium chloride (NBT) reduction in adult bronchial asthma, and high molecular-weight materials, such as ..
- Inhibition of oxygen radical formation by methylene blue, aspirin, or alpha-lipoic acid, prevents bacterial-lipopolysaccharide-induced feverWalter Riedel
Max Planck Institute for Physiological and Clinical Research, W G Kerckhoff Institute, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Mol Cell Biochem 247:83-94. 2003..Incubation of human blood with nitroblue tetrazolium and LPS increased the number of formazan-positive neutrophils from 10 +/- 5 to 52 +/- 9%...
- Vaccination of brushtail possums, Trichosurus vulpecula, with Bacille Calmette-Guerin induces T lymphocytes that reduce Mycobacterium bovis replication in alveolar macrophages via a contact-dependent/nitric oxide-independent mechanismMichel Denis
AgResearch, Wallaceville Animal Research Centre, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Immunol Cell Biol 83:57-66. 2005..the ability of possum macrophages to generate reactive oxygen intermediates, measured by the reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium, which is indicative of an activation process...
- Anti-collagenase, anti-elastase and anti-oxidant activities of extracts from 21 plantsTamsyn S A Thring
School of Life Sciences, Kingston University, London, KT1 2EE, UK
BMC Complement Altern Med 9:27. 2009..Owing to their roles in tissue remodelling in health and disease, several studies have reported investigations on plant extracts as inhibitors of proteinases and as anti-oxidants...
- Paraquat induces apoptosis in human lymphocytes: protective and rescue effects of glucose, cannabinoids and insulin-like growth factor-1Marlene Jimenez Del Rio
Department of Internal Medicine, Neuroscience Research Program, School of Medicine, University of Antioquia UdeA, Medellin, Colombia
Growth Factors 26:49-60. 2008..Further evaluation included (i) superoxide radicals, reflected by nitroblue tetrazolium reduction to formazan, (ii) the production of hydrogen peroxide, reflected by rhodamine-positive ..
- Catalytic enzyme histochemistry and biochemical analysis of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase/oxidase and succinate dehydrogenase in mammalian tissues, cells and mitochondriaM Loffler
Institute for Physiological Chemistry, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 105:119-28. 1996..rat tissues, and tissue samples of human skin and kidney, was visualized by light microscopy using the nitroblue tetrazolium technique...
- Superoxide generation links protein kinase C activation to impaired ATP-sensitive K+ channel function after brain injuryW M Armstead
Departments of Anesthesia and Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania and The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Stroke 30:153-9. 1999..Superoxide dismutase-inhibitable nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction was determined as an index of O2- generation...
- Enumeration of subgingival species on primary isolation plates using colony liftsM Gunaratnam
Forsyth Dental Center, Boston
Oral Microbiol Immunol 7:14-8. 1992..antibody conjugated to alkaline phosphatase and revealed by bromo-chloro-indolyl phosphate and nitroblue tetrazolium. Cross-reactions were not observed for 13/14 probes, but 2 strains of Streptococcus mitis reacted with the ..
- Vasopressin induced cyclooxygenase dependent superoxide generation contributes to K(+) channel function impairment after brain injuryW M Armstead
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Brain Res 910:19-28. 2001..Superoxide dismutase (SOD) inhibitable nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction was determined as an index of O2(-) generation...
- Endotoxins of enteric pathogens are chemotactic factors for human neutrophilsLaila N Islam
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Biochem Mol Biol 35:482-7. 2002..Phagocytic activity, adhesion, chemokinetic locomotion, and nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) dye-reduction ability measured the later activation of the cells...
- Contribution of food deprivation to the immune response in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) vaccinated against Cryptobia salmositica and Aeromonas salmonicidaSaeid Reza Nourollahi-Fard
School of Veterinary Medicine, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, Kerman, Iran
Acta Vet Hung 56:197-206. 2008..The numbers of activated neutrophils increased [nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) assay] after immunisation with both Cryptobia and Aeromonas vaccines and they remained high ..
- Application of an oligonucleotide array assay for rapid detecting and genotyping of Chlamydia trachomatis from urogenital specimensHe Ping Zheng
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510089, China
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 57:1-6. 2007..trachomatis were hybridized to the membrane array. Hybridization signals were read by the nitroblue tetrazolium/5-bromo-4-chloro-3-indolylphosphate color development...
- Purification and characterization of a NADH oxidase from the thermophile Thermus thermophilus HB8H J Park
Laboratorium fur Biochemie, Universitat Bayreuth, Federal Republic of Germany
Eur J Biochem 205:881-5. 1992..catalyze electron transfer from NADH to various other electron acceptors (methylene blue, cytochrome c, p-nitroblue tetrazolium, 2,6-dichloroindophenol and potassium ferricyanide), even in the absence of flavin shuttles...
- Clinical and laboratory aspects of chronic granulomatous disease in description of eighteen patientsEugénia Grilo Carnide
Pediatrics Department, Children s Institute, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 16:5-9. 2005..Relevant laboratory data were hypergammaglobulinemia and nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test of 0% in 14 patients...
- Effect of dietary supplementation of inulin and vitamin C on the growth, hematology, innate immunity, and resistance of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)Mai D Ibrahem
Department of Fish Diseases and Management, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University, 12211 Giza, Egypt
Fish Shellfish Immunol 29:241-6. 2010..tilapia, one and two months from the onset of the experiment to measure the hematocrit (HCT) values, nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT), and lysozyme activity...
- Comparison of isoniazid oxidation catalyzed by bacterial catalase-peroxidases and horseradish peroxidaseA Hillar
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Arch Biochem Biophys 323:438-46. 1995..and EcHPI, mediated the isoniazid- and H2O2-dependent production of radical species, as detected by nitroblue tetrazolium reduction. A constant flux of H2O2, generated in situ from glucose oxidase and glucose was used...
- Endothelin-Induced cyclooxygenase-dependent superoxide generation contributes to K+ channel functional impairment after brain injuryW M Armstead
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Neurotrauma 18:1039-48. 2001..Superoxide dismutase (SOD)-inhibitable nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction was determined as an index of O2- generation...
- Polysaccharides from Astragalus membranaceus promote phagocytosis and superoxide anion (O2-) production by coelomocytes from sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus in vitroYongxin Sun
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, 116024, People s Republic of China
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 147:293-8. 2008..Phagocytic activity against yeast cells was quantified by direct visualization, and O(2)(-) production by nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction assay...
- Immunomodulatory potential of rhizome and seed extracts of Nelumbo nucifera GaertnDebajyoti Mukherjee
School of Natural Product Studies, Jadavpur University, Kolkata 700 032, India
J Ethnopharmacol 128:490-4. 2010..Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn. (Nymphaeaceae) is a well-known aquatic plant which has been used for the treatment of several disorders including skin disease, cough, inflammation, fever and many other disorders...
- Tetrazolium reduction methods for assessment of substrate oxidation and strain differentiation among mycoplasmas, with particular reference to Mycoplasma bovigenitalium and some members of the Mycoplasma mycoides clusterY C Lin
Department of Life Sciences, King s College London, Franklin, London, UK
J Appl Microbiol 105:492-501. 2008To apply a rapid nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction assay of substrate metabolism by mycoplasmas that would help to differentiate Mycoplasmas.
- Microbial levan in the diet of Labeo rohita Hamilton juveniles: effect on non-specific immunity and histopathological changes after challenge with Aeromonas hydrophilaS K Gupta
Department of Fish Nutrition and Biochemistry, Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai, India
J Fish Dis 31:649-57. 2008..was increased, there was a gradual increase in serum lysozyme activity and respiratory burst activity [nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) assay] reduction values...
- Selective indices on non-specific cell-mediated immunity in rabbits immunized with Chlamydophila psittaciMałgorzata Pawlikowska
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Szczecin, Felczaka 3c, 71 412 Szczecin, Poland
Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 53:534-9. 2005..Psittaci in static experimental models showed changes in parameters of this immunity. The aim of this study was to evaluate selected parameters of non-specific immunity in rabbits immunized with Chl. Psittac...
- Identification of immune cells interacting with Vibrio spp. and its in vitro post-phagocytic killing mechanism of haemocytes in the penaeid shrimp, Penaeus indicus H. Milne EdwardsS Jayasree
Department of Zoology, Mercy College, Palakkad, India
J Fish Dis 32:359-65. 2009..A spectrophotometric nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction assay was used to demonstrate the production of superoxide anions (O2(-)) by shrimp ..
- HL60 cells halted in G1 or S phase differentiate normallyGeoffrey Brown
Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Exp Cell Res 281:28-38. 2002..of granulocyte-colony stimulating factor responsiveness, capacities to phagocytose yeast and reduce nitroblue tetrazolium, and down-regulation of CD30 and transferrin receptor expression...
- Antisense CD11b integrin inhibits the development of a differentiated monocyte/macrophage phenotype in human leukemia cellsIgor Prudovsky
Engelhardt Institute of Molecular Biology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Eur J Cell Biol 81:36-42. 2002..differentiation markers such as the activity of alpha-naphthyl acetate esterase, the capacity to reduce nitroblue tetrazolium and the expression of the vimentin gene was much lower in antisense transfectants than in control U937 ..
- NAD(P)H nitroblue tetrazolium reductase levels in apparently normoxic tissues: a histochemical study correlating enzyme activity with binding of radiolabelled misonidazoleL M Cobb
MRC Radiobiology Unit, Didcot, Oxfordshire, UK
Br J Cancer 61:524-9. 1990Hack and Helmy's method for the histochemical identification of NAD(P)H nitroblue tetrazolium reductase activity was employed to pinpoint reductase activity in certain cells in the mouse...
- A novel and potent biological antioxidant, Kinobeon A, from cell culture of safflowerTsutomu Kanehira
Department of Applied Chemistry, Tokai University Graduate School of Engineering, Hiratsuka, Kanagawa 259 1292, Japan
Life Sci 74:87-97. 2003..Employing the xanthine/xanthine oxidase/nitroblue tetrazolium system and the KO2/XTT system, the superoxide anion scavenging activity of kinobeon A was greater than ..
- Use of non-radioactive DNA probes for detection of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli in stool specimensD E Taylor
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Mol Cell Probes 4:261-71. 1990..of alkaline phosphatase conjugated anti-digoxigenin antiserum and 5-bromo-4-chloro-3-indoyl phosphate with nitroblue tetrazolium as the colour substrate, which gives a purple colour for positive hybridization, was used to test 140 ..
- Lupus erythematosus tumidus and chronic discoid lupus erythematosus in carriers of X-linked chronic granulomatous diseaseR A Rupec
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Frauenblobstr 9 11, D 80337 Munich, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 10:184-9. 2000..The diagnosis of CGD was based on measurement of oxidative burst activity by nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) slide test and by flow cytometry using dihydrorhodamine 123 (DHR)...
- Selective antibacterial and apoptosis-modulating activities of masticHiroshi Sakagami
Division of Pharmacology, Department of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Sciences, Meikai University School of Dentistry, Sakado, Saitama 350 0283, Japan
In Vivo 23:215-23. 2009..Mastic did not induce the differentiation of myelogenous leukemic cells into maturing cells with higher nitroblue tetrazolium-reducing activity, but induced apoptotic cell death, characterized by internucleosomal DNA fragmentation, ..
- Wogonin induces the granulocytic differentiation of human NB4 promyelocytic leukemia cells and up-regulates phospholipid scramblase 1 gene expressionKun Zhang
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Carcinogenesis and Intervention, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 210009, China
Cancer Sci 99:689-95. 2008..The results of the nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) reduction test (with 67...
- Evaluation of neutrophil oxidative metabolism in canine monocytic ehrlichiosisMarcia Y Hasegawa
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Vet Clin Pathol 34:213-7. 2005..This infection can result in a chronic and life-threatening disease. Thrombocytopenia, mild anemia, and leukopenia are the most common hematologic findings in CME...
- A novel method to quantify in vivo transferrin glycation: applications in diabetes mellitusAnn Van Campenhout
Laboratory of Endocrinology, Antwerp Metabolic Research Unit, University of Antwerp, T 4 37, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610 Wilrijk Antwerp, Belgium
Clin Chim Acta 370:115-23. 2006..In vitro glycation of transferrin leads to increased oxidative stress by impairing iron-binding antioxidant capacity. The aim of this study is to develop a method to evaluate in vivo transferrin glycation in diabetes...
- Genistein inhibits expressions of NADPH oxidase p22phox and angiotensin II type 1 receptor in aortic endothelial cells from stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive ratsJin Wen Xu
Frontier Health Science, School of Human Environmental Science, Mukogawa Women s University, Nishinomiya, Japan
Hypertens Res 27:675-83. 2004..Treatment with genistein also remarkably reduced the Ang II-induced superoxide by the reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium, inhibited nitrotyrosine formation, and attenuated endothelin-1 production by ELISA via the stimulation of ..
- Histochemical localization of formaldehyde dehydrogenase in the ratD A Keller
Chemical Industry Institute of Toxicology, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 106:311-26. 1990..sections were incubated in a reaction mixture containing formaldehyde (HCHO), glutathione (GSH), NAD+, nitroblue tetrazolium, pyrazole, and disulfiram. A blue formazan precipitate was formed at the site of FDH activity...
- [Mechanisms of Chinese herbs combined with ischemic postconditioning in protecting myocardium of rats from ischemia-reperfusion injury]Da Wu Zhang
Department of Cardiology, Xiyuan Hospital, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100091, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 8:465-71. 2010....
- [A study on the cell differentiation induced by tanshinone IIA and its molecular mechanism in retinoic acid: resistant acute promyelocytic leukemia]Yong Liang
Department of Hematology and Tumor, Tianjin Medical Univeisity Hospital, Tianjin 300052, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 44:366-9. 2005..To investigate retinoic acid-resistant acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) cell differentiation induced by tanshinone IIA (Tan IIA) and its molecular mechanism...
- Targeted removal of PML-RARalpha protein is required prior to inhibition of histone deacetylase for overcoming all-trans retinoic acid differentiation resistance in acute promyelocytic leukemiaYongkui Jing
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029 6547, USA
Blood 100:1008-13. 2002..or by hexamethylene bisacetamide (HMBA), a non-HDACI tRA-differentiation inducer, as determined by nitroblue tetrazolium reduction...
- Polymorphonuclear neutrophil dysfunctions in streptozotocin-induced type 1 diabetic ratsA H M Nurun Nabi
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Biochem Mol Biol 38:661-7. 2005..tests that include: polarization assay, phagocytosis of baker\'s yeasts (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and nitroblue tetrazolium (NBT) dye reduction...
- Growth inhibition and differentiation induction in human monoblastic leukaemia cells by 1alpha-hydroxyvitamin D derivatives and their enhancement by combination with hydroxyureaM Makishima
Department of Chemotherapy, Saitama Cancer Center Research Institute, Kita adachi, Japan
Br J Cancer 77:33-9. 1998..HU and cytarabine effectively enhanced nitroblue tetrazolium-reducing activity induced by 1,25(OH)2D3...
- A cobalt-based tetrazolium salts reduction test to assay polyphenolsErez Koren
The Faculty of Dental Medicine, Institute for Dental Sciences, Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Agric Food Chem 57:7644-50. 2009..the capacity of polyphenols to chelate cobalt(II) by using the reduction of the tetrazolium salts, NBT (nitroblue tetrazolium chloride), MTT (methylthiazolyldiphenyl-tetrazolium bromide), and XTT (2,3-bis[2-methoxy-4-nitro-5-..
- Redox of plastoquinone pool regulates the expression and activity of NADPH dehydrogenase supercomplex in Synechocystis sp. strain PCC 6803Weimin Ma
College of Life and Environment Sciences, Shanghai Normal University, Guilin Road 100, Shanghai 200234, China
Curr Microbiol 56:189-93. 2008..glucose (Glc) or 3-(3,4-dichlorophenyl)-1,1-dimethylurea (DCMU); subsequently, active staining of NADPH-nitroblue tetrazolium oxidoreductase, western blot, and the initial rate of P700+ dark reduction were assessed in the ..
- OXIDATIVE DAMAGE AND IRON REQUIREMENTS OF THE BLASTOCYSTCOLE MANES; Fiscal Year: 1991..Cyanide-resistant reduction of nitroblue tetrazolium is readily demonstrable in rabbit blastocysts, as it is in activated phagocytes which are known to be ..
- CEREBRAL ISCHEMIA AND FREE OXYGEN RADICALSJeffrey Kirsch; Fiscal Year: 1991..From our data we will be able to determine whether oxygen derived free radical mechanisms are associated with cerebral ischemia or hypoxia...
- REGULATION--COPPER-ZINC SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE EXPRESSIONJeffrey Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 1990..Ontogenic regulation will be analyzed at the protein level by ELISA and at an activity level using the nitroblue tetrazolium assay...
- VASCULAR RESPONSES DURING CORTICAL SPREADING DEPRESSIONDavid Busija; Fiscal Year: 2001..microspheres; and superoxide anion detection using an assay involving superoxide dismutase inhibitable nitroblue tetrazolium reduction...
- MICROCIRCULATORY PROTECTION IN LATE PRECONDITIONINGWei Wang; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, the cremaster will be processed for Nitroblue Tetrazolium Staining measurement of cremaster muscle necrosis...
- FUNCTION OF 13-CIS-RETINOIC ACID IN HL-60 CELLSMalford Cullum; Fiscal Year: 1992..original differentiation positive HL60D+ that is characterized by proliferative capacity, alteration in nitroblue tetrazolium reduction capacity, by karyotypic and two dimensional electrophoretic analysis and compare it to HL-60D+; ..
- RETINAL DEGENERATION: A NEW ANIMAL MODELPaul Hargrave; Fiscal Year: 1991..Oxidative metabolism and visual pigment bleaching will be examined by the nitroblue tetrazolium histochemical reaction and the early receptor potential, respectively...
- Breast Cancer Prevention and Treatment with Noni juiceMian Ying Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..The latency, multiplicity, volume of tumors, and the survivor rate of animals at the end of experiment will be evaluated in different groups. ..
- Death Receptor Signaling and Mercury ImmunotoxicityMichael McCabe; Fiscal Year: 2006..A third specific aim will employ a mouse model to test whether disruption of CD95-mediated cell death by Hg intoxication in vivo enhances the survival of autoreactive T lymphocytes. ..
- STATS in Bryostatin 1 induced differentiation of CLLTraci Battle; Fiscal Year: 2003..particularly when combined with other antileukemia drugs. ..
- Intercellular Signaling in Obstructive NephropathyROBERT CHEVALIER; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will lead to improved outcomes in adulthood. ..
- Therapeutic effect of boswellin in prostate cancerYongkui Jing; Fiscal Year: 2005..We hope our proposal will lead to the discovery of a novel complementary agent for prostate cancer treatment. ..
- TGF-beta superfamily in neonatal obstructive nephropathy and recoveryRobert L Chevalier; Fiscal Year: 2010..A new animal (mouse) model is proposed to study the major cellular mechanisms for injury to the newborn kidney, as well as to evaluate new therapies to enhance recovery. ..
- NEUROSCIENCE TRAINING IN DRUG ABUSEDONALD KUHN; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Neurobiology of Drug AbuseDONALD KUHN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Kuhn will remain extensively engaged in scientific mentoring activities. ..
- MICROARRAY ANALYSIS OF HUMAN COCAINE ADDICTSDONALD KUHN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Microarray-based scanning of the human genome has the potential to establish those genes or gene clusters that define the addictive phenotype, leading the way to proteomic-based studies of the bases of addiction. ..
- Resolution of Gouty InflammationSTEPHEN MALAWISTA; Fiscal Year: 2008..We suggest further that this reprogramming of lipid mediators may explain in part the action of therapeutic agents such as colchicine, and could lead to better treatment for this condition. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Methamphetamine Neurotoxicity and Microglial ActivationDONALD KUHN; Fiscal Year: 2009..A better understanding of the mechanisms by which METH causes persistent damage to the DA neuronal system could lead to more targeted therapies and would open newer lines of investigation into this and other neurotoxic drugs of abuse. ..
- PKC SIGNALING AND THE TREATMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDERDONALD KUHN; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- LYME DISEASE--HOST PARASITE INTERACTIONSSTEPHEN MALAWISTA; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies may provide the technical and conceptual basis for improvements in diagnostic and prognostic aspects of inflammatory diseases. ..