Genomes and Genes
Summary: Quaternary salts derived from tetrazoles. They are used in tests to distinguish between reducing sugars and simple aldehydes, for detection of dehydrogenase in tissues, cells, and bacteria, for determination of corticosteroids, and in color photography. (From Mall's Dictionary of Chemistry, 5th ed, p455)
Publications220 found, 100 shown here
- In vitro effects of the BH3 mimetic, (-)-gossypol, on head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cellsChristopher L Oliver
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0312, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:7757-63. 2004..Gossypol, the levorotatory isomer of a natural product isolated from cottonseeds and roots, was recently discovered to bind to the BH3 binding groove of Bcl-xL and Bcl-2...
- Tetrazolium dyes as tools in cell biology: new insights into their cellular reductionMichael V Berridge
Malaghan Institute of Medical Research, PO Box 7060, Wellington, New Zealand
Biotechnol Annu Rev 11:127-52. 2005b>Tetrazolium salts have become some of the most widely used tools in cell biology for measuring the metabolic activity of cells ranging from mammalian to microbial origin...
- Limitations of MTT and MTS-based assays for measurement of antiproliferative activity of green tea polyphenolsPiwen Wang
Center for Human Nutrition, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10202. 2010..Although the susceptibility to EGCG treatment is largely dependent on cancer cell type, the particular cell viability and proliferation assays utilized may significantly influence quantitative results reported in the literature...
- Mitochondrial and nonmitochondrial reduction of MTT: interaction of MTT with TMRE, JC-1, and NAO mitochondrial fluorescent probesTytus Bernas
Laboratory of Confocal Microscopy and Image Analysis, Department of Biophysics, Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Cytometry 47:236-42. 2002Bioreduction of water-soluble tetrazolium salts (e.g., MTS, XTT, and MTT) to their respective formazans is generally regarded as an indicator of cell "redox activity...
- An improved 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide (MTT) reduction assay for evaluating the viability of Escherichia coli cellsHengwei Wang
Newworld Institute of Biotechnology, State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, 130 Meilong Road, Shanghai 200237, China
J Microbiol Methods 82:330-3. 2010..5-mL centrifuge tubes and formazan dissolution in test tubes. Our study is helpful in developing protocols for measuring the viability of other gram-negative bacteria...
- Comparison of alamar blue and MTT assays for high through-put screeningR Hamid
Discovery Support, Purdue Pharma L P, 444 Saw Mill River Road, Ardsley, NY 10502, USA
Toxicol In Vitro 18:703-10. 2004....
- Estimation of cell number based on metabolic activity: the MTT reduction assayLaszlo Kupcsik
Genetics Unit, Shriners Hospital for Children, Montreal, QC, Canada
Methods Mol Biol 740:13-9. 2011..If the metabolic rate is constant, the technique can be employed to count living cells in a sample. Once it is set up, the method is very robust, and can be automatized to be applied on a large number of samples...
- Resveratrol inhibits beta-amyloid oligomeric cytotoxicity but does not prevent oligomer formationYing Feng
Tsinghua University School of Medicine, Haidian District, Beijing 100084, China
Neurotoxicology 30:986-95. 2009....
- Neuroregenerative effects of BMP7 after stroke in ratsJenny Chou
National Institute on Drug Abuse, IRP, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Neurol Sci 240:21-9. 2006..These BrdU-positive cells co-labeled with nestin and NeuN. Our behavioral and anatomical data suggest that BMP7 promotes neuroregeneration in stroke animals, possibly through the proliferation of new neuronal precursors after ischemia...
- Measurement of cellular 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) reduction activity and lactate dehydrogenase release using MTTK Abe
Laboratory of Chemical Pharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Neurosci Res 38:325-9. 2000..Our method is economical and convenient especially for measuring cellular MTT reduction and LDH release in the same culture...
- Tetrazolium-based colorimetric assay for the detection of HIV replication inhibitors: revisited 20 years laterChristophe Pannecouque
Rega Institute for Medical Research, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 10, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Nat Protoc 3:427-34. 2008..The use of this method can be extended to antiviral testing of compounds against other cyto-destructive viruses...
- Inactivation of NF-kappaB by genistein is mediated via Akt signaling pathway in breast cancer cellsLijie Gong
Department of Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
Oncogene 22:4702-9. 2003....
- A study of some variables in a tetrazolium dye (MTT) based assay for cell growth and chemosensitivityP R Twentyman
MRC Clinical Oncology and Radiotherapeutics Unit, Cambridge, UK
Br J Cancer 56:279-85. 1987..Comparative chemosensitivity data for EMT6 mouse tumour cells show good agreement between results obtained using the MTT assay and results based on total cell count after a fixed period of growth...
- Development of a modified MTT assay for screening antimonial resistant field isolates of Indian visceral leishmaniasisAvijit Dutta
Dept of Immunobiology, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, 4 Raja S C Mullick Road, Kolkata 700 032, India
Parasitol Int 54:119-22. 2005..Considering the growing problem of antimonial unresponsiveness in the Indian subcontinent, this modified MTT assay is a useful tool for Leishmania research...
- A novel marine compound xyloketal B protects against oxidized LDL-induced cell injury in vitroWen Liang Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, 74 Zhongshan Road II, Guangzhou, 510080, PR China
Biochem Pharmacol 78:941-50. 2009....
- Nrf2 signaling, a mechanism for cellular stress resistance in long-lived miceScott F Leiser
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:871-84. 2010..Augmented activity of Nrf2 and ARE-responsive genes may coordinate many of the stress resistance traits seen in cells from these long-lived mutant mice...
- Potent anti-amyloidogenic and fibril-destabilizing effects of polyphenols in vitro: implications for the prevention and therapeutics of Alzheimer's diseaseKenjiro Ono
Department of Neurology and Neurobiology of Aging, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa 920 8640, Japan
J Neurochem 87:172-81. 2003....
- Evaluation of a colorimetric assay based on 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide (MTT) for rapid detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisG Abate
Department of Mycobacteriology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2:1011-6. 1998....
- An inclined plane system with microcontroller to determine limb motor function of laboratory animalsMing Wen Chang
Department of Electrical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan
J Neurosci Methods 168:186-94. 2008..It is found that the system is stable, accurate and easily used by investigators...
- Comparative cytotoxicity evaluation of lanthanide nanomaterials on mouse and human cell lines with metabolic and DNA-quantification assaysBoon Chin Heng
School of Materials Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Block N4 1, 50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798, Singapore
Biointerphases 5:FA88-97. 2010..Hence, the Pico-Green assay could have an advantage over the WST-8 assay because it is not skewed by the differential effects of nanomaterials on cellular metabolism...
- Appraisal of the MTT-based assay as a useful tool for predicting drug chemosensitivity in leukemiaTamar Hayon
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel
Leuk Lymphoma 44:1957-62. 2003The MTT-based assay relies upon the cellular reduction of tetrazolium salts to their intensely colored formazans...
- Experimental conditions affect the site of tetrazolium violet reduction in the electron transport chain of Lactococcus lactisSybille Tachon
INRA, UR 477 Biochimie Bactérienne, F 78350 Jouy en Josas, France
Microbiology 155:2941-8. 2009The reduction of tetrazolium salts to coloured formazans is often used as an indicator of cell metabolism during microbiology studies, although the reduction mechanisms have never clearly been established in bacteria...
- MTT assays cannot be utilized to study the effects of STI571/Gleevec on the viability of solid tumor cell linesJonathan T Sims
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Pharmacology, University of Kentucky School of Medicine, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 64:629-33. 2009..This study will determine whether MTT assays accurately assess the effect of STI571 (Gleevec; Abl kinase inhibitor) on the viability of cancer cells containing highly active Abl kinases...
- Utility of MTT assay in three-dimensional cultured human skin model as an alternative for draize skin irritation test: approach using diffusion law of irritant in skin and toxicokinetics-toxicodynamics correlationTetsuya Watanabe
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, Sakado, Saitama, Japan
Pharm Res 19:669-75. 2002..A relation between the cytotoxicity and calculated concentration of an irritant in skin was also evaluated...
- Comparison of Er,Cr:YSGG laser and hand instrumentation on the attachment of periodontal ligament fibroblasts to periodontally diseased root surfaces: an in vitro studySema S Hakki
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Periodontol 81:1216-25. 2010....
- Spectrophotometric assay of yeast vitality using 2,3,5,6-tetramethyl-1,4-benzoquinone and tetrazolium saltsTadayuki Tsukatani
Biotechnology and Food Research Institute, Fukuoka Industrial Technology Center, Kurume 839 0861, Japan
Anal Sci 19:659-64. 2003..the spectrophotometric assay of yeast vitality was developed using 2,3,5,6-tetramethyl-1,4-benzoquinone and tetrazolium salts. The metabolic efficiency of 2,3,5,6-tetramethyl-1,4-benzoquinone by yeast cells was used as an index of ..
- Interference of plant extracts, phytoestrogens and antioxidants with the MTT tetrazolium assayRegina Bruggisser
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Planta Med 68:445-8. 2002..These results indicate that the MTT tetrazolium assay may lead to false positive results when testing natural compounds with intrinsic reductive potential...
- Induction of apoptosis by disturbing mitochondrial-membrane potential and cleaving PARP in Jurkat T cells through treatment with acetoxyscirpenol mycotoxinsDong Hee Lee
Department of Life Sciences, University of Seoul, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 29:648-54. 2006..These data indicate that the Jurkat T cells that were treated with ASMs underwent typical cascades of apoptotic cell death...
- Metabolic activity of cultured rat brainstem, hippocampal and spinal cord slicesC A Connelly
Departments of Surgery Transplantation Research, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Burns and Allen Research Institute and UCLA School of Medicine, 8635 W 3rd Street, Suite 590W, 90048, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Neurosci Methods 99:1-7. 2000....
- Comparison of the usefulness of the MTT, ATP, and calcein assays to predict the potency of cytotoxic agents in various human cancer cell linesHenrik Mueller
Pharmaceutical Institute, University of Bonn, An der Immenburg 4, D 53121 Bonn, Germany
J Biomol Screen 9:506-15. 2004..In conclusion, this study provides improved microplate reader-based cell viability assays and sets a statistically solid basis for a future comparison of data obtained in different laboratories by any of the 3 assays...
- Synergistic action of doxorubicin and sulindac in human cervix carcinoma cells - studies on possible mechanismsBeata Maria Gruber
Department of Biochemistry and Biopharmaceuticals, National Medicines Institute, Warsaw, Poland
Med Sci Monit 16:BR45-51. 2010..The aim of the current work was to study the mechanisms of synergistic action noted in HeLa cervical carcinoma cells under doxorubicin (DOX) and sulindac (SUL) co-treatment...
- Applicability of tetrazolium salts for the measurement of respiratory activity and viability of groundwater bacteriaPaul B Hatzinger
Envirogen, Inc, 4100 Quakerbridge Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648, USA
J Microbiol Methods 52:47-58. 2003..aerobic respiration by indigenous bacteria in a sand and gravel aquifer on western Cape Cod, MA using tetrazolium salts and by direct oxygen consumption using gas chromatography (GC)...
- A multifunctional peptide rescues memory deficits in Alzheimer's disease transgenic mice by inhibiting Aβ42-induced cytotoxicity and increasing microglial phagocytosisDi Xue
Tsinghua University School of Medicine, Haidian District, Beijing 100084, China
Neurobiol Dis 46:701-9. 2012..The results of the present study indicate that this peptide, which specifically targets Aβ, may be a promising new therapy for patients exhibiting cognitive impairment and increased Aβ burden...
- Determination of viability of Phytophthora capsici oospores with the tetrazolium bromide staining test versus a plasmolysis methodAitzol Etxeberria
NEIKER Tecnalia, Basque Institute of Agricultural Research and Development, Derio, Spain
Rev Iberoam Micol 28:43-9. 2011..Oospores are the most persistent propagules of Phytophthora capsici. The viability of oospores is determined by staining methods such as the tetrazolium bromide (MTT) test...
- Generic delivery of payload of nanoparticles intracellularly via hybrid polymer capsules for bioimaging applicationsHaider Sami
Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
PLoS ONE 7:e36195. 2012..The proposed hybrid delivery system can be potentially developed to avoid a series of biological barriers and deliver multiple cargoes (both simultaneous and individual delivery) without the need of individual cargo design/modification...
- A cobalt-based tetrazolium salts reduction test to assay polyphenolsErez Koren
The Faculty of Dental Medicine, Institute for Dental Sciences, Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Agric Food Chem 57:7644-50. 2009..was developed to measure the capacity of polyphenols to chelate cobalt(II) by using the reduction of the tetrazolium salts, NBT (nitroblue tetrazolium chloride), MTT (methylthiazolyldiphenyl-tetrazolium bromide), and XTT (2,3-bis[2-..
- Growth inhibition and induction of differentiation by panaxydol in rat C6 glioma cellsJian Hai
Department of Neurosurgery, Tongji Hospital, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
Neurol Res 30:99-105. 2008..In this study, we aimed to investigate the effects of panaxydol on growth inhibition and its mechanisms in C6 rat glioma cells...
- Tetrazolium salts for MIC determination in microplates: why? Which salt to select? How?Marion Grare
SRSMC, Nancy University, CNRS, France
J Microbiol Methods 75:156-9. 2008..Our results made us postulate that the use of such indicators was unnecessary for MIC determination in routine microdilution method...
- Nucleation-dependent polymerization is an essential component of amyloid-mediated neuronal cell deathMark Wogulis
Elan Pharmaceuticals, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
J Neurosci 25:1071-80. 2005..Our findings indicate that ongoing amyloid fibrillogenesis may be an essential mechanistic process underlying the pathogenesis associated with protein aggregation in amyloid disorders...
- Evaluation of cell cycle arrest in estrogen responsive MCF-7 breast cancer cells: pitfalls of the MTS assayEileen M McGowan
Translational Cancer Research Group, School of Medical and Molecular Biosciences, Faculty of Science, University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS ONE 6:e20623. 2011..These experiments demonstrate how the combined measurement of metabolic activity and DNA labeling provides a more reliable interpretation of cancer cell response to treatment regimens...
- Characterization of the cellular reduction of 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT): subcellular localization, substrate dependence, and involvement of mitochondrial electron transport in MTT reductionM V Berridge
Malaghan Institute of Medical Research, Wellington School of Medicine, New Zealand
Arch Biochem Biophys 303:474-82. 1993..We conclude that most cellular reduction of MTT occurs extramitochondrially and probably involves the pyridine nucleotide cofactors NADH and NADPH...
- Neuroprotective effects of green and black teas and their catechin gallate esters against beta-amyloid-induced toxicityStephane Bastianetto
Douglas Hospital Research Centre, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, 6875 Blvd LaSalle, Verdun, Quebec, Canada H4H 1R3
Eur J Neurosci 23:55-64. 2006..These data also support the hypothesis that not only green but also black teas may reduce age-related neurodegenerative diseases, such as AD...
- Lysozyme amyloid oligomers and fibrils induce cellular death via different apoptotic/necrotic pathwaysAnna L Gharibyan
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
J Mol Biol 365:1337-49. 2007..An abundance of lysozyme highlights a universal feature of this phenomenon, indicating that amyloid toxicity should be assessed in all clinical applications involving proteinaceous materials...
- Induction of G2/M phase arrest and apoptosis by a novel enediyne derivative, THDB, in chronic myeloid leukemia (HL-60) cellsYu Jhang Lu
Faculty of Medicinal and Applied Chemistry, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100 Shi Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan, ROC
Toxicol In Vitro 21:90-8. 2007..These molecular alterations provide an insight into THDB-caused growth inhibition, G2/M arrest and apoptotic death of HL-60 cells...
- Synergistic protection of PC12 cells from beta-amyloid toxicity by resveratrol and catechinAngela Conte
Department of Agricultural Science, University of Modena e Reggio Emilia, Via Kennedy 17, 42100, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Brain Res Bull 62:29-38. 2003....
- Uses and limitations of the XTT assay in studies of Candida growth and metabolismD M Kuhn
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:506-8. 2003..Also, significant signal was often missed in the absence of dimethyl sulfoxide extraction...
- WST-1-based cell cytotoxicity assay as a substitute for MTT-based assay for rapid detection of toxigenic Bacillus species using CHO cell linePuriya Ngamwongsatit
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Microbiol Methods 73:211-5. 2008....
- Fibril fragmentation enhances amyloid cytotoxicityWei Feng Xue
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:34272-82. 2009....
- Comparison of spectrophotometric and visual readings of NCCLS method and evaluation of a colorimetric method based on reduction of a soluble tetrazolium salt, 2,3-bis [2-methoxy-4-nitro-5-[(sulfenylamino) carbonyl]-2H-tetrazolium-hydroxide], for antifungaJ Meletiadis
Department of Medical Microbiology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 39:4256-63. 2001..The XTT method and spectrophotometric readings can increase the sensitivity and the precision, respectively, of in vitro susceptibility testing of Aspergillus species...
- An evaluation of three new-generation tetrazolium salts for the measurement of respiratory activity in activated sludge microorganismsC McCluskey
School of Biology and Biochemistry and QUESTOR Centre, The Queen s University of Belfast, Northern Ireland
Microb Ecol 49:379-87. 2005..inner salt), and WST-1 (4-(3-4-iodophenyl)-2-(4-nitrophenyl)-2H-5-tetrazolio)-1,3-benzenedisulfonate) are tetrazolium salts that have become commercially available only in relatively recent years; they differ from earlier such ..
- Effect of natural and synthetic estrogens on a549 lung cancer cells: correlation of chemical structures with cytotoxic effectsSilvana Andreescu
Department of Chemistry, State University of New York Binghamton, P O Box 6000, Binghamton, New York 13902, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 18:466-74. 2005..The cytotoxic effect of the estrogens was directly related to their structural and conformational characteristics including chain length, number, and position of hydroxyl groups and degree of saturation...
- Combining the rapid MTT formazan exocytosis assay and the MC65 protection assay led to the discovery of carbazole analogs as small molecule inhibitors of Abeta oligomer-induced cytotoxicityHyun Seok Hong
M I N D Institute and Department of Pathology, UC Davis Cancer Center, University of California Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Brain Res 1130:223-34. 2007..Both assays are simple, suitable for rapid screening of a large number of medicinal libraries, and amenable for automation...
- A flow cytometry-based assay for quantitative analysis of cellular proliferation and cytotoxicity in vitroYan Yi Wang
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Zhejiang University Yuquan Campus, Hangzhou 310027, PR China
J Immunol Methods 268:179-88. 2002..We have also used this method to evaluate mitogen-induced proliferation and cytotoxicity. The results indicated that this method might yield high sensitivity and reliability...
- Colorimetric assay for antifungal susceptibility testing of Aspergillus speciesJ Meletiadis
Department of Medical Microbiology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 39:3402-8. 2001..Under these settings, the formazan production correlated linearly with the fungal biomass and less-variable concentration effect curves for amphotericin B and itraconazole were obtained...
- Utility of 2,3-bis(2-methoxy-4-nitro-5-sulfophenyl)-5-[(phenyl-amino)carbonyl]-2H-tetrazolium hydroxide (XTT) and minimum effective concentration assays in the determination of antifungal susceptibility of Aspergillus fumigatus to the lipopeptide class coS P Hawser
Aventis, F-93235 Romainville, France
J Clin Microbiol 39:2738-41. 2001..fumigatus is susceptible to mulundocandin. Thus, the XTT-based assay might be useful for determination of the susceptibilities of molds to echinocandins. Further evaluation is warranted...
- Evaluation of the broth microdilution method using 2,3-diphenyl-5-thienyl-(2)-tetrazolium chloride for rapidly growing mycobacteria susceptibility testingSun Min Lee
Department of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 22:784-90. 2007..fortuitum and M. abscessus susceptibility testing. The modified colorimetric MIC testing method using STC was proven to be a useful surrogate for RGM antibiotic susceptibility testing...
- Cediranib (recentin, AZD2171) reverses ABCB1- and ABCC1-mediated multidrug resistance by inhibition of their transport functionLi Yang Tao
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Cancer Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 64:961-9. 2009..Here we investigate the ability of cediranib to reverse tumor multidrug resistance (MDR) due to overexpression of ABCB1 (P-glycoprotein) and ABCC1 (MRP1) transporters...
- Evaluation of a colorimetric antifungal susceptibility test by using 2,3-diphenyl-5-thienyl-(2)-tetrazolium chlorideJeong Hwan Shin
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Pusan National University College of Medicine, Seo Gu Ami Dong 1 Ga 10, Busan 602 739, Korea
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4457-9. 2004..In 22 and 20 strains, the MICs obtained in the colorimetric assay were within two dilutions of those obtained by the National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards method for ketoconazole and itraconazole, respectively...
- Reversal of the malignant phenotype of gastric cancer cells by inhibition of RhoA expression and activityNa Liu
Institute of Digestive Diseases, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi Province, Peoples Republic of China
Clin Cancer Res 10:6239-47. 2004..In the present study, we have analyzed the expression status of the RhoA protein in human gastric cancer cells and tissues and investigated the possible involvement of RhoA in regulating the malignant phenotype of gastric cancer cells...
- Fluorinated 2-(4-amino-3-methylphenyl)benzothiazoles induce CYP1A1 expression, become metabolized, and bind to macromolecules in sensitive human cancer cellsEileen Brantley
Biological Testing Branch, Developmental Therapeutics Program, Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, National Institutes of Health, Frederick, MD 21701, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 32:1392-401. 2004..These data are concordant with the antiproliferative activity of fluorinated benzothiazoles deriving from their ability to become metabolized and bind to macromolecules within sensitive cells...
- The MTS assay as an indicator of chemosensitivity/resistance in malignant gynaecological tumoursSharon A O'Toole
Trinity College Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Dublin, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Cancer Detect Prev 27:47-54. 2003..A randomised prospective trial should be carried out to validate chemosensitivity/resistance testing...
- Effects of interactions of EGCG and Cd(2+) on the growth of PC-3 cells and their mechanismsHai ning Yu
College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Zhejiang University of Technology, Hangzhou 310032, PR China
Food Chem Toxicol 45:244-9. 2007..Results from the distribution coefficient determination and UV-Vis spectroscopy analysis indicated that Cd(2+) might affect conformation of EGCG, while no complex of EGCG with Cd(2+) was observed in the system...
- RACK-1 overexpression protects against goniothalamin-induced cell deathS H Inayat-Hussain
Toxicology and Biocompatibility Laboratory, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
Toxicol Lett 191:118-22. 2009..2 cells. This data demonstrate that RACK-1 plays a crucial role in regulating cell death signalling pathways induced by goniothalamin...
- Evaluation of in vitro proliferative activity of human fetal neural stem/progenitor cells using indirect measurements of viable cells based on cellular metabolic activityYonehiro Kanemura
Tissue Engineering Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Amagasaki, Hyogo, Japan
J Neurosci Res 69:869-79. 2002..Our findings indicated that indirect measurements of viable cells based on metabolic activity, especially the ATP assay, are very effective and reproducible ways to determine the numbers of viable human NSPCs in intact neurospheres...
- Wide therapeutic time window for nimesulide neuroprotection in a model of transient focal cerebral ischemia in the ratEduardo Candelario-Jalil
Department of Pharmacology, University of Havana CIEB IFAL, Apartado Postal 6079, Havana City 10600, Cuba
Brain Res 1007:98-108. 2004....
- A three amino acid peptide, Gly-Pro-Arg, protects and rescues cell death induced by amyloid beta-peptideMarina Ioudina
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Exp Neurol 184:923-9. 2003..Our findings suggest that GPR can rescue cultured rat hippocampal neurons from Abeta-induced neuronal death by inhibiting caspase-3/p53-dependent apoptosis...
- Comparative evaluation of 2,3-bis [2-methyloxy-4-nitro-5-sulfophenyl]-2H-tetrazolium-5-carboxanilide (XTT) and 2-(2-methoxy-4-nitrophenyl)-3-(4-nitrophenyl)-5-(2, 4-disulfophenyl)-2H-tetrazolium, monosodium salt (WST-8) rapid colorimetric assays for antimAaron J Brady
Clinical and Practice Research Group, School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast Medical Biology Centre, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast, BT9 7BL United Kingdom
J Microbiol Methods 71:305-11. 2007A new generation of water soluble tetrazolium salts have recently become available and in this study we compared a colorimetric assay developed using one of these salts, 2-(2-methoxy-4-nitrophenyl)-3-(4-nitrophenyl)-5-(2, 4-disulfophenyl)..
- Multicenter study of MTT and resazurin assays for testing susceptibility to first-line anti-tuberculosis drugsA Martin
Mycobacteriology Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:901-6. 2005..5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide) and resazurin assays, for testing the susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to the first-line anti-tuberculosis drugs rifampicin (RMP), isoniazid (INH), ethambutol (EMB) and streptomycin (SM)...
- Indanocine, a microtubule-binding indanone and a selective inducer of apoptosis in multidrug-resistant cancer cellsL M Leoni
Department of Medicine and The Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging, University of California San Diego, La Jolla 92093, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 92:217-24. 2000..In this study, we characterized the activity of this new antimitotic drug toward malignant cells...
- Accurate assessment of the bioactivities of redox-active polyphenolics in cell cultureKimberly N Wisman
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:7831-7. 2008....
- Appraisal of the MTT assay as a rapid test of chemosensitivity in acute myeloid leukaemiaJ M Sargent
Department of Haematology, Pembury Hospital, Kent, UK
Br J Cancer 60:206-10. 1989..The test can be repeated throughout the course of the disease to help identify any change in tumour sensitivity. This technique appears to give useful information to assist in the management of acute myeloid leukaemia...
- The effects of glutamate receptor antagonists on cerebellar granule cell survival and developmentLinda Klimaviciusa
Faculty of Medicine, University of Latvia, Sarlotes iela 1a, LV 1001, Riga, Latvia
Neurotoxicology 29:101-8. 2008..324. In conclusion, the results of the present study demonstrate that only nonselective channel blocker MK-801 decreases cell viability, induces apoptosis and inhibits neurite outgrowth of CGC in a development-dependent manner...
- Early phase of amyloid beta42-induced cytotoxicity in neuronal cells is associated with vacuole formation and enhancement of exocytosisMeng Lu Liu
Department of Microbiology and Research Center for Industrial Development of Biofood Materials, Chonbuk National University Medical School, Jeonju 561 756, Korea
Exp Mol Med 37:559-66. 2005..The early Abeta42-induced vacuolated morphology and later chronic cytotoxic effect in neuronal cell might be linked to the chronic neurodegeneration caused by the accumulation of Abeta42 in AD patients' brain...
- Evaluation of a modified antimycobacterial susceptibility test using Middlebrook 7H10 agar containing 2,3-diphenyl-5-thienyl-(2)-tetrazolium chlorideS Lee
Seoul Medical Science Institute, Seoul Clinical Laboratories, Seoul, South Korea
J Microbiol Methods 66:548-51. 2006..A modification of the agar proportion method using STC resulted in a reliable and more easily interpretable data, and detected most of resistant strains a week earlier than conventional method...
- Colorimetric cell proliferation assay for microorganisms in microtiter plate using water-soluble tetrazolium saltsTadayuki Tsukatani
Biotechnology and Food Research Institute, Fukuoka Industrial Technology Center, Kurume 839 0861, Japan
J Microbiol Methods 75:109-16. 2008..method to assay cell proliferation of microorganisms in 96-well microtiter plates using water-soluble tetrazolium salts and electron mediators was developed...
- Antifungal resistance of candidal biofilms formed on denture acrylic in vitroJ Chandra
Center for Medical Mycology, University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University, OH 44106-5028, USA
J Dent Res 80:903-8. 2001..In conclusion, results obtained by means of our biofilm model show that biofilm-associated C. albicans cells, compared with cells grown in planktonic form, are resistant to antifungals used to treat denture stomatitis...
- Anti-tumor effect of Coriolus versicolor methanol extract against mouse B16 melanoma cells: in vitro and in vivo studyLj Harhaji
Department of Immunology, Institute for Biological Research Sinisa Stankovic, Belgrade University, Belgrade, Serbia
Food Chem Toxicol 46:1825-33. 2008..versicolor methanol extract exerts pronounced anti-melanoma activity, both directly through antiproliferative and cytotoxic effects on tumor cells and indirectly through promotion of macrophage anti-tumor activity...
- Effects of anthocyanidin on the inhibition of proliferation and induction of apoptosis in human gastric adenocarcinoma cellsPing Hsiao Shih
Department of Food Science, National Chung Hsing University, 250 Kuokuang Road, Taichung 40227, Taiwan
Food Chem Toxicol 43:1557-66. 2005..These findings suggest that growth inhibition and cytotoxicity of AGS cells by malvidin is involved in the induction of apoptosis rather than necrosis...
- Isatin, an endogenous monoamine oxidase inhibitor, triggers a dose- and time-dependent switch from apoptosis to necrosis in human neuroblastoma cellsN Igosheva
Weston Laboratory, Institute of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital Campus, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK
Neurochem Int 47:216-24. 2005..This death occurred as a continuum of survival, apoptosis and necrosis. Our results re-emphasise that caution should be exercised when considering high doses of isatin as a putative anti-Parkinson's disease therapeutic...
- Rho/ROCK pathway as a target of tumor therapyR Rattan
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci Res 83:243-55. 2006....
- Differential effects of diallyl disulfide on neuronal cells depend on its concentrationJun Gyou Kim
Department of Toxicological Research, National Institute of Toxicological Research, KFDA, Seoul, South Korea
Toxicology 211:86-96. 2005..Therefore, some specific optimum concentration of DADS may be a new potential therapeutic strategy for oxidative stress-injury in vitro model of neurodegenerative diseases...
- Fluoride induces endoplasmic reticulum stress in ameloblasts responsible for dental enamel formationKaori Kubota
Department of Cytokine Biology, Forsyth Institute, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 280:23194-202. 2005..Ire1 levels appeared induced by fluoride treatment, indicating that ER stress may play a role in dental fluorosis. Low dose fluoride, such as that present in fluoridated drinking water, did not induce ER stress...
- Dexamethasone inhibits the HSV-tk/ ganciclovir bystander effect in malignant glioma cellsPierre A Robe
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
BMC Cancer 5:32. 2005..Since dexamethasone is a frequently used symptomatic treatment for malignant gliomas, its interaction with the bystander effect and the overall efficacy of HSV-TK gene therapy ought to be assessed...
- Toxic effects of recombinant tissue plasminogen activator on cultured human corneal endothelial cellsEfdal Yoeruek
Department of Ophthalmology, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:1392-7. 2008..This study was undertaken to investigate the toxicity of rtPA on cultured HCECs to determine its safety for clinical use...
- In vitro cytotoxicity of nanoparticles in mammalian germline stem cellsLaura Braydich-Stolle
Department of Biology, The University of Dayton, OH 45469, USA
Toxicol Sci 88:412-9. 2005..Our results suggest that this cell line provides a valuable model with which to assess the cytotoxicity of nanoparticles in the germ line in vitro...
- Protective effect of green tea polyphenols on the SH-SY5Y cells against 6-OHDA induced apoptosis through ROS-NO pathwayShuhong Guo
Laboratory of Visual Information Processing, Center of Brain and Cognitive Science, Institute of Biophysics, Academia Sinica, Beijing 100101, People s Republic of China
Free Radic Biol Med 39:682-95. 2005..Our results show that the protective effects of GTP on SH-SY5Y cells are mediated, at least in part, by controlling the ROS-NO pathway...
- Multiple antiapoptotic targets of the PI3K/Akt survival pathway are activated by epoxyeicosatrienoic acids to protect cardiomyocytes from hypoxia/anoxiaAnuradha Dhanasekaran
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H724-35. 2008..Understanding the targets of action of EET-mediated protection will promote the development of these fatty acids as therapeutic agents against cardiac ischemia-reperfusion...
- Responses of microglia in vitro to the gram-positive bacterial component, lipoteichoic acidYa Fen Jiang-Shieh
Department of Anatomy, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Tainan, Taiwan
J Neurosci Res 82:515-24. 2005..In conclusion, staphylococcal LTA can exert an immunomodulatory effect on microglial morphology, cell cycle, and immunomolecules, including its receptors...
- A structurally optimized celecoxib derivative inhibits human pancreatic cancer cell growthJunan Li
Departments of Surgery and Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, 410 West 10th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 10:207-14. 2006..Further analyses indicate that OSU-03012 induces both proapoptotic and antiproliferative effects in these cells. Taken together, these data suggest that OSU-03012 has potential value as a novel therapy for pancreatic cancer...
- In vitro photodynamic therapy of childhood rhabdomyosarcomaGuido Seitz
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Children s Hospital, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 1, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Int J Oncol 30:615-20. 2007..In fibroblasts, PDT was less effective compared to tumor cells. Our data suggest hypericin as a novel tool for visualization and photodynamic therapy of childhood rhabdomyosarcoma...
- The mitogen-activated/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase 1/2 inhibitor U0126 induces glial fibrillary acidic protein expression and reduces the proliferation and migration of C6 glioma cellsC R P Lind
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Neuroscience 141:1925-33. 2006..These results suggest that the ERK pathway regulates glioma cell proliferation, migration and differentiation...
- Curcumin suppresses growth of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaMaria M LoTempio
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California at Los Angeles, 90095 1624, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:6994-7002. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine whether curcumin would trigger cell death in the head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) cell lines CCL 23, CAL 27, and UM-SCC1 in a dose-dependent fashion...
- Aldo-keto reductase 1C2 is essential for 1-nitropyrene's but not for benzo[a]pyrene's induction of p53 phosphorylation and apoptosisJyan Gwo J Su
Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, College of Life Sciences, National Chiayi University, Chiayi 600, Taiwan
Toxicology 244:257-70. 2008..The metabolic and signaling pathways for the toxic effects of both 1-NP and B[a]P are similar except that AKR1C2 plays differential role between them. The results provide valuable information for further investigations on AKRs...
- The effects of solvents on embryonic stem cell differentiationS Adler
ECVAM, Joint Research Centre, Institute for Health and Consumer Protection, via E Fermi 1, 21020 Ispra VA, Italy
Toxicol In Vitro 20:265-71. 2006..The ES cells were the most sensitive towards the cytotoxic effects of the solvent DMSO while the EC cells were more sensitive when treated with the solvent ethanol...
- Involvement of proinflammatory factors, apoptosis, caspase-3 activation and Ca2+ disturbance in microglia activation-mediated dopaminergic cell degenerationXijin Wang
Department of Neurology and Institute of Neurology, Clinical and Research Center for Parkinson Disease, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200025, PR China
Mech Ageing Dev 126:1241-54. 2005..Understanding the mechanism for microglia activation-mediated dopaminergic neurodegeneration may contribute to the development of new neuroprotective strategies against PD...
- Induction of caspase-independent apoptosis in H9c2 cardiomyocytes by adriamycin treatmentHo Joong Youn
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Mol Cell Biochem 270:13-9. 2005....
- Evidence that receptor activator of nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB ligand can suppress cell proliferation and induce apoptosis through activation of a NF-kappaB-independent and TRAF6-dependent mechanismAlok C Bharti
Cytokine Research Section, Department of Bioimmunotherapy, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 279:6065-76. 2004..Thus, overall, our studies indicate that RANKL can inhibit cell proliferation and induce apoptosis through a TRAF-6-dependent but NF-kappaB-independent mechanism...
- Down-regulation of sphingosine kinase-1 by DNA damage: dependence on proteases and p53Tarek A Taha
Division of General Internal Medicine, Ralph H Johnson Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Charleston, SC 29401, USA
J Biol Chem 279:20546-54. 2004..These studies demonstrate that SK1 is down-regulated by genotoxic stress, and that basal SK1 function may be necessary for the maintenance of tumor cell growth...
- Potential efficacy of p16 gene therapy for EBV-positive nasopharyngeal carcinomaAnna Aihua Li
Ontario Cancer Institute, University Health Network, Ontario, Canada
Int J Cancer 110:452-8. 2004..p16 gene therapy for NPC, mediated through multimodal mechanisms of cytotoxicity. Future evaluations will examine strategies to increase in vivo tumor transduction with a view towards future clinical applications...
- Oligo-3-hydroxybutyrates as potential carriers for drug deliveryValeria Piddubnyak
Department of Tumor Biology, Maria Skl odowska Curie Memorial Institute, Centre of Oncology, Branch Gliwice, Armii Krajowej 15, Gliwice 44 101, Poland
Biomaterials 25:5271-9. 2004..These data show for the first time that tailor-made biodegradable and biocompatible oligomers of 3-hydroxybutyric acid can be taken into consideration as effective, non-toxic vectors for delivery of drugs in a conjugated form...
- Caspase-2 can function upstream of bid cleavage in the TRAIL apoptosis pathwayKlaus W Wagner
Department of Cancer Biology, Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation, 10675 John Jay Hopkins Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
J Biol Chem 279:35047-52. 2004....
- Regulation of Fibroblast Survival in the Collagen MatrixMark Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Loss of matrix anchorage is hypothesized to reverse these effects and induce apoptosis. The involvement of each protein will be probed with mutated isoforms. ..
- TRANSGLUTAMINASE PROMOTES CPPD DISEASE IN AGING JOINTSAnn Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will contribute to our understanding of CPPD deposition disease, so that effective therapies for this common and disabling form of arthritis can be designed. ..
- Matrix proteins promote matrix vesicle mineralizationAnn Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal of this work is to understand the pathogenesis of calcium crystal formation in articular cartilage, so that specific therapies for this disabling disease can be designed. ..
- Discovery of novel fluorescent reporter genesMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2004..Reporters with spectral properties that can be used for whole-body imaging of tumors in the lung and their metastases will be candidates for further development for numerous applications of multi-color imaging. ..
- Vanadocenes as a New Class of Spermicidal DrugsOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Microarray analysis of neuronal ischemic preconditioningPiyush Patel; Fiscal Year: 2007..A substantial benefit of the research will be the identification of novel therapeutic targets upon which future drug development can be based. ..
- Role of Programmed Necrosis in Immune ResponsesFrancis Chan; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moreover, controlling cell death may offer a novel approach to treating autoimmune diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Imageable tumor-targeting bacteriaMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Iron regulation in candida albicansSimon Knight; Fiscal Year: 2006..Extracts prepared from iron starved and iron replete C. albicans cells will be examined for their ability to bind DNA elements identified in Aim1. ..
- Apoptotic Mechanisms of Tocotrienols in Mammary CancerPaul Sylvester; Fiscal Year: 2004..Although caspase-8 activation is associated with death receptor signaling, the exact receptor/ligand signaling mechanism(s) mediating tocotrienol-induced caspase-8 activation has not been determined. ..
- Transport of neurotrophic cytokines after spinal cord injuryWeihong Pan; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the mechanisms of cytokine transport at this regulatory interface would help in the design of new approaches to treat SCI. ..
- Diesel Exhaust Particle Modulation of InflammationJeanclare Seagrave; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- A-1 Adenosine Receptor Action in Developing HeartScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will identify Rho and ROCK as critical signaling molecules in heart development and reveal that cardiac GTPase activity transduces the effects of adenosine. ..
- Phase II SBIR: WHI-07: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Regulation of TRAIL-induced apoptosisFrancis Chan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our experiments may also provide a useful diagnostic tool to determine response of cancers to treatments involving TRAIL or agonist TRAIL antibodies. ..
- Radioactive Iodide Therapy of Pediatric Graves' DiseaseScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Structure-activity analysis of enolpyruvyl transferasesErnst Schonbrunn; Fiscal Year: 2009..Moreover, they will provide a solid basis for the rational design of novel broad-spectrum antimicrobial drugs targeting these important enzymes. ..
- Dedifferentiation Following Renal Cell InjuryShougang Zhuang; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will increase our knowledge of the mechanisms of RPTC dedifferentiation after injury and may contribute to the development of novel treatment for patients with ARF. ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF NERVE GROWTH FACTOR/NEUROTROPHINSKENNETH NEET; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- ENHANCED APOPTOSIS BY TARGETING PROTEIN REDOX STATUSMohan Natarajan; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Growth factor effects on dental pulp cellsDOUGLAS LOBNER; Fiscal Year: 2008..As a method of maintaining the viability of these cells we are proposing studying the effects of naturally occurring substances called growth factors on dental pulp cells. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adolescent ethanol exposure and NMDA receptor maturation in cerebellumMary Lou Vallano; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our results will serve as a basis for future functional studies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Redox Effects of Selenium for Prostate Cancer PreventionWeixiong Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Antibody in Defense Against Neonatal Candida InfectionsJOSEPH BLISS; Fiscal Year: 2008..As such, he will be in an ideal position to orchestrate the translation of basic science to the benefit of patients. ..
- Transport of TNFalpha across the BBBWeihong Pan; Fiscal Year: 2008..These transporters could be novel drug targets and therefore provide promising therapeutic potential. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Therapeutic hair follicle-derived neurospheresMeng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Human hair- follicle bulge cells will be further characterized and developed for therapeutic potential for nerve regeneration in Phase III. [unreadable]..
- Identification of Green Tea Polyphenol-Targeted GenesStephen Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data generated from this proposal may reveal novel drug targets for treatment of head and neck cancer. ..
- REACTIVE NITROGEN & CEREBRAL ISCHEMIC INJURYMUSH KHAN; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Pre-association and Signaling by TNF-like ReceptorsFrancis Chan; Fiscal Year: 2003..The second part of this proposal attempts to elucidate the mechanism by which TNFR coordinates the recruitment of these signaling proteins. ..
- Human Tissue Model For Heterosexual HIV TransmissionMitchell Klausner; Fiscal Year: 2003..Protocols for irritation studies will be finalized and the mechanisms of HIV infection and transmission in the tissue will be delineated. Finally, methodology for testing HIV microbicides will be developed. ..
- TRAINING IN ALCOHOL AND NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASEMARIETA HEATON; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- A1-ADENOSINE RECEPTOR ACTION IN HIPPOCAMPUSScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate these studies will lead to new insights into the mechanisms of A1AR action. We also anticipate that these studies will identify A1ARs as an important regulator of axon growth. ..
- Highly Differentiated Tissue Culture Models of MelanomaMitchell Klausner; Fiscal Year: 2002..The tissues will be characterized in terms of morphology, tumor progression, and adhesion receptors. Finally, reproducibility of the tissue models will be investigated. ..
- Inhibitors of 5alpha-reductase for acne therapyLingna Li; Fiscal Year: 2002..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS: Liposomal 4-MA will be developed as a topical selectively targeted therapeutic for acne for which they should be a very market. ..
- KINASE-MEDIATED SIGNALING PATHWAYS IN NEURONAL APOPTOSISMARY VALLANO; Fiscal Year: 2003..A third goal in this application is to compare the expression levels of bc1-2 and bax rnRNAs under culture conditions promoting survival or apoptosis. ..
- FLP-102: Rationally Engineered Antiviral ProteinOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The preclinical data on FLP-102 will be essential to further explore the utility of this novel recombinant PAP mutant for Phase II. ..
- NOVEL CONTRACEPTIVES WITH ANTI-HIV ACTIVITYOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..The preclinical data on in vivo efficacies of WHI-05 and WHI-07 will be essential to further explore the utility of these novel drugs for clinical studies in human patients. ..
- METVAN: A Novel Anticancer AgentOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The knowledge gained from these studies described under Specific Aims 1-2 is expected to facilitate the design of innovative treatment regimens employing METVAN for metastatic breast cancer and brain tumor patients. ..
- Simultaneous dual isotope SPECTPaul Acton; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- The Role of Adenosine in Hypoglycemic Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate that these studies will yield new insights into the mechanisms of hypoglycemic brain injury and may lead to the development of practical strategies for reducing hypoglycemic brain injury. ..
- INHIBITION OF ANGIOGENESIS BY TRUNCATED FGF RECEPTORSAnne Hanneken; Fiscal Year: 2001..Specific Aim 5 is designed to determine how conditions which alter the levels of truncated FGFRs in the extracellular matrix modulate the biological activity of the extracellular matrix stores of FGF- 2. ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF TRK RECEPTORS FOR NEUROTROPHINSKENNETH NEET; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- PHI-443: Novel Non-Spermicidal Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of PHI-443 in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- Anti-Adenosine Therapy of Neonatal Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is anticipated that these studies will lead to novel and practical strategies for directly preventing brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Crosstalk between oncoprotein and chemokine signalingAndrzej Ptasznik; Fiscal Year: 2007..The analogous Src kinases-targeted strategy may have application to solid tumors. ..
- MicroCT for Imaging Small AnimalsPaul Acton; Fiscal Year: 2003..In conclusion, a microCT system would provide essential structural data to complement functional SPECT data in small animals, and will greatly strengthen the quantitative aspects of this emerging molecular imaging technique. ..
- Orthotopic models of tumor angiogenesis and blood flowMeng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adenoviral GFP targeting of metastatic human tumors using multiple delivery routeHiroyuki Kishimoto; Fiscal Year: 2008..Having obtained these results, we can move forward in the Phase II grant application with experiments to bring OBP-401 to the clinic for use in cancer surgery in human patients. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- In Vitro Skin Model for Percutaneous Absorption StudiesMitchell Klausner; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, the methodology developed will likely improve cultured skin graft material since it has ben reported that skin tissue with improved barrier properties increases the efficacy of such grafts. ..
- PHI 346: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Following successful completion of the Phase I in vivo efficacy studies, gel formulation of PHI-346 will be further explored as a vaginal dual-function microbicide in Phase II. ..
- Reconstruction of skin model containing Langerhans cellsSeyoum Ayehunie; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, based on these studies, an assay kit to predict whether a material is likely to act as a contact allergen will be developed. ..
- Vaccine therapy of congenital adrenal HyperplasiaScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also anticipate being able to extend this novel approach to the treatment of other receptor-mediated endocrine disorders, such as hyperthyroidism. ..
- HORMONAL MODULATION OF TAXOL ACTION IN SOLID TUMORSWeimin Fan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The information obtained from this proposed research may prove valuable for improving in the clinical application of this class of antineoplastic agents. ..
- Enzyme therapy for hyperhomocysteinemiaYuying Tan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Phase II results will lead to an IND for MEGC-PEG-rMETase for end stage renal disease patients and other patients with intractable hyperhomocysteinemia and high cardiovascular disease mortality. ..
- Cerebal Ischemia During Anesthesia and SurgeryPiyush Patel; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long term goals of the research are to prevent the occurrence of isehemic brain injury in patients undergoing anesthesia and surgery. ..
- CB1 Receptor Action on the Developing HippocampusScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will result in new insights into the potential effects of cannabinoid action on the developing brain. ..
- Stampidine: A Novel Broad-Spectrum Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of STAMP in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- Functions of BPAG1nBRIAN PIERCHALA; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ALCOHOL AND MESOLIMBIC DOPAMINE PATHWAYQINGSHAN YAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will elucidate the relative contribution of 5-HT2 receptors to the regulation of ethanol-induced DA release and help to explain the effects of 5-HT2 antagonists on alcohol consumption reported in the literature. ..
- Targeted tumoricidal bacteriaMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2007..Future human trials of the tumor-killing bacteria can be held after the Phase I and Phase II grant periods are completed. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- In Vitro Tissue Model of PsoriasisSeyoum Ayehunie; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Validation of Organotypic Vaginal Tissue Based Assay for Endocrine DisruptorsSeyoum Ayehunie; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed human organotypic tissue based assay will provide a sensitive and specific assay method to screen a large number of endocrine disrupting chemicals at a reduced cost. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Validation of a Human In Vitro Vaginal Irritation TestSeyoum Ayehunie; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed human tissue based assay will provide a sensitive and specific time-efficient method to screen a large number of chemicals/formulations at a reduced cost. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Immortized Human Langerhans CellsSeyoum Ayehunie; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, a skin model containing immunologically competent cells would be extremely valuable to a large number of companies in evaluating whether their products are likely to cause allergic contact dermatitis...
- GENETICS OF AGE SENSITIVE TRAITS IN MICERichard Miller; Fiscal Year: 2003..At best, the program may permit the localization of loci that influence multiple age-sensitive domains and are thus plausible candidates for genes that regulate the rate of aging per se. ..
- MODELS FOR TESTING CANDIDATE TOPICAL MICROBICIDES FOR CYTOTOXICITY AND ACTIVITY AMary Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetics of Longevity and Age-Sensitive Traits in MiceRichard Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- WILD DERIVED MOUSE STOCKS--NEW MODELS FOR AGING RESEARCHRichard Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004....