- Olmesartan for the delay or prevention of microalbuminuria in type 2 diabetes
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
N Engl J Med 364:907-17. 2011
..We investigated whether treatment with an angiotensin-receptor blocker (ARB) would delay or prevent the occurrence of microalbuminuria in patients with type 2 diabetes and normoalbuminuria...
- Identification of telmisartan as a unique angiotensin II receptor antagonist with selective PPARgamma-modulating activity
Stephen C Benson
Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Hayward, USA
Hypertension 43:993-1002. 2004
- Effects of candesartan in patients with chronic heart failure and preserved left-ventricular ejection fraction: the CHARM-Preserved Trial
McMaster Clinic, Room 252, Hamilton General Hospital, 237 Barton Street East, ON, L8L 2X2, Hamilton, Canada
Lancet 362:777-81. 2003
..We investigated the effect of addition of an angiotensin-receptor blocker to current treatments...
- Renoprotective effect of the angiotensin-receptor antagonist irbesartan in patients with nephropathy due to type 2 diabetes
E J Lewis
Department of Medicine, Rush-Presbyterian-St Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
N Engl J Med 345:851-60. 2001
..CONCLUSIONS: The angiotensin-II-receptor blocker irbesartan is effective in protecting against the progression of nephropathy due to type 2 diabetes. This protection is independent of the reduction in blood pressure it causes...
- Angiotensin type 1 receptor blockers induce peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma activity
Center for Cardiovascular Research, Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Campus Charite Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Circulation 109:2054-7. 2004
..The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPARgamma) is the central regulator of insulin and glucose metabolism improving insulin sensitivity. We investigated the regulation of PPARgamma function by ARBs...
- Ginkgo biloba extract enhances antiplatelet and antithrombotic effects of cilostazol without prolongation of bleeding time
Keun Ho Ryu
Pharmacology Team, Life Science R and D Center, SK Chemicals, Korea
Thromb Res 124:328-34. 2009
..With these studies, we suggest that combinative therapy of GB and cilostazol might offer enhanced anti-thrombotic efficacies without increasing side-effects...
- Irbesartan in patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction
Barry M Massie
University of California, San Francisco, and San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco 94121, USA
N Engl J Med 359:2456-67. 2008
..Therefore, we studied the effects of irbesartan in patients with this syndrome...
- Oxidative stress and nitric oxide synthase in rat diabetic nephropathy: effects of ACEI and ARB
Maristela Lika Onozato
Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Kidney Int 61:186-94. 2002
..We tested the hypothesis that Ang II subtype 1 (AT1) receptor activation enhances oxidative stress and nitrotyrosine deposition in the kidneys of rats with diabetes mellitus (DM)...
- Differential effects between a calcium channel blocker and a diuretic when used in combination with angiotensin II receptor blocker on central aortic pressure in hypertensive patients
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Jichi Medical University School of Medicine, 3311 1 Yakushiji, Shimotsuke, Tochigi, Japan
Hypertension 54:716-23. 2009
..0 mg) and hydrochlorothiazide (12.5 mg), despite the lack of a significant difference in brachial systolic BP reduction between the 2 treatments...
- The effect of irbesartan on the development of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes
H H Parving
Steno Diabetes Center, Copenhagen, Denmark
N Engl J Med 345:870-8. 2001
..02). CONCLUSIONS: Irbesartan is renoprotective independently of its blood-pressure-lowering effect in patients with type 2 diabetes and microalbuminuria...
- Rationale, study design, baseline characteristics and blood pressure at 16 weeks in the HONEST Study
Keio University Health Center, Kanagawa, Japan
Hypertens Res 36:177-82. 2013
..The HONEST Study is expected to provide evidence showing the relationship between baseline and on-treatment CBP and HBP levels (both first and second measurements) and CV events...
- Angiotensin II AT1 receptor blockade prevents the hypothalamic corticotropin-releasing factor response to isolation stress
Section on Pharmacology, Division of Intramural Research Programs, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Brain Res 1142:92-9. 2007
..Inhibition of central AT(1) receptors limits the CRF response to stress and should be considered as a therapeutic tool to preserve homeostasis under chronic stress conditions...
- Clazosentan, an endothelin receptor antagonist, in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage undergoing surgical clipping: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial (CONSCIOUS-2)
R Loch MacDonald
St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lancet Neurol 10:618-25. 2011
..We investigated whether clazosentan reduced vasospasm-related morbidity and all-cause mortality...
- Irbesartan and lipoic acid improve endothelial function and reduce markers of inflammation in the metabolic syndrome: results of the Irbesartan and Lipoic Acid in Endothelial Dysfunction (ISLAND) study
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Circulation 111:343-8. 2005
..We evaluated the ability of irbesartan, an angiotensin receptor blocker, and lipoic acid, an antioxidant, to affect endothelial function and inflammation in patients with the metabolic syndrome...
- Randomized comparison of adjunctive cilostazol versus high maintenance dose clopidogrel in patients with high post-treatment platelet reactivity: results of the ACCEL-RESISTANCE (Adjunctive Cilostazol Versus High Maintenance Dose Clopidogrel in Patients W
Young Hoon Jeong
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Gyeongsang National University Hospital, Jinju, Korea
J Am Coll Cardiol 53:1101-9. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to determine the impact of adjunctive cilostazol in patients with high post-treatment platelet reactivity (HPPR) undergoing coronary stenting...
- A phosphodiesterase inhibitor, cilostazol, prevents the onset of silent brain infarction in Japanese subjects with Type II diabetes
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita City, Japan
Diabetologia 45:188-94. 2002
..This study aimed to evaluate the effect of a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, cilostazol, on the prevention of silent brain infarction in diabetic patients without symptoms of vascular events...
- Effects of the angiotensin receptor blocker azilsartan medoxomil versus olmesartan and valsartan on ambulatory and clinic blood pressure in patients with stages 1 and 2 hypertension
William B White
Division of Hypertension and Clinical Pharmacology, Calhoun Cardiology Center, University of Connecticut Health Center, 263 Farmington Ave, Farmington, CT 06030 3940, USA
Hypertension 57:413-20. 2011
..Azilsartan medoxomil could provide higher rates of hypertension control within the ARB class...
- The angiotensin-receptor blocker candesartan for treatment of acute stroke (SCAST): a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial
Else Charlotte Sandset
Department of Internal Medicine, Oslo University Hospital Ulleval, Oslo, Norway
Lancet 377:741-50. 2011
..We aimed to examine whether careful blood-pressure lowering treatment with the angiotensin-receptor blocker candesartan is beneficial in patients with acute stroke and raised blood pressure...
- Tetrazine ligation: fast bioconjugation based on inverse-electron-demand Diels-Alder reactivity
Melissa L Blackman
Brown Laboratories, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:13518-9. 2008
..The rate of the ligation between trans-cyclooctene and 3,6-di-(2-pyridyl)-s-tetrazine is very rapid (k2 2000 M-1 s-1). This fast reactivity enables protein modification at low concentration...
- Mature adipocytes inhibit in vitro differentiation of human preadipocytes via angiotensin type 1 receptors
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, HELIOS Klinikum Berlin, Franz Volhard Clinic, Medical Faculty of the Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Diabetes 51:1699-707. 2002
..Because AGT secretion and Ang II generation are characteristic features of adipogenesis, we postulate a paracrine negative-feedback loop that inhibits further recruitment of preadipocytes by maturing adipocytes...
- Improved islet morphology after blockade of the renin- angiotensin system in the ZDF rat
Danielle Alberti Memorial Centre for Diabetic Complications, Baker Medical Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Diabetes 53:989-97. 2004
..These findings provide a possible mechanism for the reduced incidence of new-onset diabetes that has been observed in clinical trials of RAS blockade...
- Clinical characteristics of patients with asymptomatic recurrences of atrial fibrillation in the Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Sopravvivenza nell'Infarto Miocardico-Atrial Fibrillation (GISSI-AF) trial
Department of Cardiology, Santa Chiara Hospital, Trento, Italy
Am Heart J 162:382-9. 2011
..In a consistent percentage of cases, AF recurrences are asymptomatic, thus making its clinical management difficult in relation to both therapeutic efficacy and thromboembolic risk...
- Antibiotic sensitization using biphenyl tetrazoles as potent inhibitors of Bacteroides fragilis metallo-beta-lactamase
J H Toney
Department of Biochemistry, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Rahway, NJ 07065 0900, USA
Chem Biol 5:185-96. 1998
..Co-administration of metallo-beta-lactamase inhibitors to resistant bacteria is expected to restore the antibacterial activity of carbapenems...
- Pharmacokinetic interaction of fimasartan, a new angiotensin II receptor antagonist, with amlodipine in healthy volunteers
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, Seoul National University College of Medicine and Hospital, Jongno gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 57:682-9. 2011
..The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of the coadministration of fimasartan and amlodipine on the steady-state pharmacokinetics of each drug...
- I-COMBINE study: assessment of efficacy and safety profile of irbesartan/amlodipine fixed-dose combination therapy compared with amlodipine monotherapy in hypertensive patients uncontrolled with amlodipine 5 mg monotherapy: a multicenter, phase III, prosp
Department of Hypertension, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Clin Ther 34:1705-19. 2012
..Newer antihypertensive treatment combinations include fixed-dose combinations of an angiotensin receptor blocker and a calcium channel blocker...
- Real-life safety and effectiveness of amlodipine/valsartan combination in the treatment of hypertension
Irina E Chazova
Department of Systemic Hypertensions, Russian Cardiology Scientific Industrial Complex, Moscow, Russia
Adv Ther 28:134-49. 2011
..The aim of our study was to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the free combination of amlodipine/valsartan in patients with arterial hypertension in a real-life setting...
- Mechanical stress activates angiotensin II type 1 receptor without the involvement of angiotensin II
Department of Cardiovascular Science and Medicine, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Nat Cell Biol 6:499-506. 2004
..All of these events are inhibited by the AT1 receptor blocker candesartan. Thus, mechanical stress activates AT1 receptor independently of angiotensin II, and this activation can be inhibited by an inverse agonist of the AT1 receptor...
- RhoA activation in vascular smooth muscle cells from stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats
First Department of Internal Medicine, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu, Japan
Hypertens Res 27:263-70. 2004
..These results suggest that the possible mechanisms underlying RhoA activation in VSMC from SHRSP are autocrine/paracrine regulation by Ang II and/or cGKIalpha downregulation...
- Efficacy and safety of fixed combinations of irbesartan/hydrochlorothiazide in hypertensive women: the inclusive trial
Elizabeth O Ofili
Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30310, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 17:931-8. 2008
- Impact of olmesartan on progression of coronary atherosclerosis a serial volumetric intravascular ultrasound analysis from the OLIVUS (impact of OLmesarten on progression of coronary atherosclerosis: evaluation by intravascular ultrasound) trial
Sakakibara Heart Institute of Okayama, Okayama, Japan
J Am Coll Cardiol 55:976-82. 2010
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the impact of olmesartan on progression of coronary atherosclerosis...
- Blockade of Angiotensin II type-1 receptor reduces oxidative stress in adipose tissue and ameliorates adipocytokine dysregulation
Department of Metabolic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
Kidney Int 70:1717-24. 2006
..Ang II signaling and subsequent oxidative stress in adipose tissue may be potential targets for the prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in metabolic syndrome and also in metabolic syndrome-based CKD...
- A centrally acting, anxiolytic angiotensin II AT1 receptor antagonist prevents the isolation stress-induced decrease in cortical CRF1 receptor and benzodiazepine binding
Juan M Saavedra
Section on Pharmacology, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:1123-34. 2006
..We propose that AT1 receptor antagonists can be considered as compounds with possible therapeutic anti-stress and anti-anxiety properties...
- High-glucose-induced regulation of intracellular ANG II synthesis and nuclear redistribution in cardiac myocytes
Vivek P Singh
Division of Molecular Cardiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Texas A and M Health Science Center, College of Medicine, Temple, TX 76504, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H939-48. 2007
..Significantly, NRVM synthesized and retained ANG II intracellularly, which redistributed to the nucleus under high-glucose conditions, suggesting a role for an intracrine mechanism in diabetic conditions...
- The efficacy and safety of low- and high-dose fixed combinations of irbesartan/hydrochlorothiazide in patients with uncontrolled systolic blood pressure on monotherapy: the INCLUSIVE trial
Joel M Neutel
Orange County Research Center, Tustin, CA 92780, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 7:578-86. 2005
..Treatments were well tolerated. This irbesartan/HCTZ treatment regimen achieved SBP goals in more than 75% of patients uncontrolled on monotherapy...
- Activation of the intracellular renin-angiotensin system in cardiac fibroblasts by high glucose: role in extracellular matrix production
Vivek P Singh
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Texas A and M HSC, Temple, TX 76504, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H1675-84. 2008
- Health care resources and costs for treating peripheral artery disease in a managed care population: results from analysis of administrative claims data
HealthCore, Inc, Wilmington, DE 19801 1366, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 11:727-34. 2005
- Effects of candesartan compared with amlodipine in hypertensive patients with high cardiovascular risks: candesartan antihypertensive survival evaluation in Japan trial
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Hypertension 51:393-8. 2008
..We disclosed that candesartan-based and amlodipine-based regimens produced no statistical differences in terms of the primary cardiovascular end point, whereas candesartan prevented new-onset diabetes more effectively than amlodipine...
- Efficacy and tolerability of fimasartan, a new angiotensin receptor blocker, compared with losartan (50/100 mg): a 12-week, phase III, multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, dose escalation clinical trial with an optional 12-w
Sang Eun Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Clin Ther 34:552-568, 568.e1-9. 2012
..Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) is an effective and well tolerated first-line antihypertensive drug. Fimasartan is a newly developed ARB that has not been compared with other ARBs with regard to its efficacy and tolerability...
- Inhibition of diet-induced atherosclerosis and endothelial dysfunction in apolipoprotein E/angiotensin II type 1A receptor double-knockout mice
Klinik fur Innere Medizin III, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar, Germany
Circulation 110:3062-7. 2004
..Angiotensin II type 1 (AT1) receptor activation is potentially involved in the multifactorial pathogenesis of atherosclerosis...
- The Study on COgnition and Prognosis in the Elderly (SCOPE)--recent analyses
Department of Internal Medicine, Starnberg Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich, Starnberg, Germany
J Hypertens Suppl 24:S107-14. 2006
..Results in other subgroups were generally consistent with those in the entire SCOPE study population. In patients with slightly low cognitive function at baseline, the MMSE score declined less in the candesartan group...
- Cilostazol reduces atherosclerosis by inhibition of superoxide and tumor necrosis factor-alpha formation in low-density lipoprotein receptor-null mice fed high cholesterol
Jeong Hyun Lee
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 313:502-9. 2005
- Dissociation of vasospasm and secondary effects of experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage by clazosentan
Division of Neurosurgery, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5B 1W8
Stroke 42:1454-60. 2011
- Patient age and vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage
Department of Neuroscience, Section for Neurosurgery, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Neurosurgery 67:911-7. 2010
..Subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) from a ruptured intracranial aneurysm is a devastating disease with high mortality and morbidity. The incidence of SAH increases with advancing age...
- Effects of monotherapy of temocapril or candesartan with dose increments or combination therapy with both drugs on the suppression of diabetic nephropathy
Division of Nephrology, Endocrinology and Vascular Medicine, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Hypertens Res 30:325-34. 2007
..Even among patients treated with an ACEI and/or ARB, lowering BP is important...
- The antihyperalgesic activity of a selective P2X7 receptor antagonist, A-839977, is lost in IL-1alphabeta knockout mice
Abbott Laboratories, Neuroscience Research, Abbott Park, IL 60064, USA
Behav Brain Res 204:77-81. 2009
- Effect of Renin-Angiotensin system blockade on insulin resistance and inflammatory parameters in patients with impaired glucose tolerance
Department of Nephrology and Diabetology, KlinikumTraunstein, Traunstein, Germany
Diabetes Care 33:914-9. 2010
..The study investigated the effect of angiotensin receptor blockers (ARB) on glucose homeostasis and inflammatory parameters in patients with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)...
- Cilostazol in secondary prevention of stroke: impact of the Cilostazol Stroke Prevention Study
Department of Clinical Neuroscience and Therapeutics, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Atheroscler Suppl 6:33-40. 2005
..These findings indicate that cilostazol may have a role as a vascular neuroprotectant, but the clinical implications are limited by the fact that patients were randomized to placebo instead of aspirin, which is the standard of care...
- A titrate-to-goal study of switching patients uncontrolled on antihypertensive monotherapy to fixed-dose combinations of amlodipine and olmesartan medoxomil ± hydrochlorothiazide
Matthew R Weir
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 13:404-12. 2011
- Secondary prevention of stroke and transient ischemic attack: is more platelet inhibition the answer?
James K Liao
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 65 Landsdowne St, Rm 275, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Circulation 115:1615-21. 2007
- Valsartan lowers brain beta-amyloid protein levels and improves spatial learning in a mouse model of Alzheimer disease
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3393-402. 2007
..These preclinical studies suggest that certain antihypertensive drugs may have AD-modifying activity and may protect against progressive Abeta-related memory deficits in subjects with AD or in those at high risk of developing AD...
- Incidence and predictors of hyperkalemia in patients with heart failure: an analysis of the CHARM Program
Akshay S Desai
Department of Cardiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 50:1959-66. 2007
..We explored the incidence and predictors of hyperkalemia in a broad population of heart failure patients...
- Outcomes in hypertensive patients at high cardiovascular risk treated with regimens based on valsartan or amlodipine: the VALUE randomised trial
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Lancet 363:2022-31. 2004
- Angiotensin II type 2 receptor-mediated vasodilation in human coronary microarteries
Wendy W Batenburg
Department of Pharmacology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Circulation 109:2296-301. 2004
..In contrast, AT2 receptor-mediated vasodilation could not be observed in large human coronary arteries. We studied Ang II-induced vasodilation of human coronary microarteries (HCMAs)...
- Angiotensin AT2 receptors: cardiovascular hope or hype?
Robert E Widdop
Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria 3800, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 140:809-24. 2003
- Cilostazol inhibits cytokine-induced nuclear factor-kappaB activation via AMP-activated protein kinase activation in vascular endothelial cells
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Mibu, Tochigi 321 0293, Japan
Cardiovasc Res 81:133-9. 2009
..We hypothesized that cilostazol may prevent inflammatory cytokine induced-nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB activation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in vascular endothelial cells...
- Identification of a retinal aldosterone system and the protective effects of mineralocorticoid receptor antagonism on retinal vascular pathology
Jennifer L Wilkinson-Berka
Department of Immunology, Monash University, Commercial Rd, Prahran, Victoria, Australia, 3004
Circ Res 104:124-33. 2009
..We make the first report that MR and aldosterone influence retinal vasculopathy, which may involve inflammatory and G6PD mechanisms. MR antagonism may be relevant when developing treatments for retinopathies that target the RAAS...
- PPARgamma-activating angiotensin type-1 receptor blockers induce adiponectin
Center for Cardiovascular Research, Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Charite Campus Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Hypertension 46:137-43. 2005
..ARB-induced adiponectin stimulation is likely to be mediated via PPARgamma activation involving a post-transcriptional mechanism...
- Irbesartan in patients with atrial fibrillation
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 364:928-38. 2011
..The risk of cardiovascular events among patients with atrial fibrillation is high. We evaluated whether irbesartan, an angiotensin-receptor blocker, would reduce this risk...
- Candesartan but not ramipril pretreatment improves outcome after stroke and stimulates neurotrophin BNDF/TrkB system in rats
Center for Cardiovascular Research CCR Institute of Pharmacology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Hypertens 26:544-52. 2008
- A new pharmacological treatment for intermittent claudication: results of a randomized, multicenter trial
H G Beebe
Jobst Vascular Center, Toledo, Ohio 43606, USA
Arch Intern Med 159:2041-50. 1999
..Effective medication is limited for the relief of intermittent claudication, a common manifestation of arterial occlusive disease. Cilostazol is a potent inhibitor of platelet aggregation with vasodilation effects...
- Activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase by cilostazol via a cAMP/protein kinase A- and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt-dependent mechanism
Research Institute of Pharmacological and Therapeutical Development, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, 463 10 Kagasuno, Kawauchi cho, Tokushima 771 0192, Japan
Atherosclerosis 189:350-7. 2006
..These results suggest that cilostazol induces NO production by eNOS activation via a cAMP/PKA- and PI3K/Akt-dependent mechanism and that this effect is involved in capillary-like tube formation in HAEC...
- Prolonged endoplasmic reticulum stress in hypertrophic and failing heart after aortic constriction: possible contribution of endoplasmic reticulum stress to cardiac myocyte apoptosis
Ken ichiro Okada
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Circulation 110:705-12. 2004
..The ER responds to stress by upregulating ER chaperones, but prolonged and/or excess ER stress leads to apoptosis. However, the potential role of ER stress in pathophysiological hearts remains unclear...
- Irbesartan prevents metabolic syndrome in rats via activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ
Department of Pharmacology, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Osaka, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 116:309-15. 2011
..These findings suggest that through PPARγ stimulation along with angiotensin II inhibition, irbesartan may be an optimal treatment option in the prevention of metabolic syndrome as well as hypertension...
- Irbesartan/hydrochlorothiazide for the treatment of isolated systolic hypertension: a subgroup analysis of the INCLUSIVE trial
Steven G Chrysant
Oklahoma Cardiovascular and Hypertension Center and the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine, 5850 W Wilshire Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73132, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 101:300-7. 2009
..Fixed-dose irbesartan/HCTZ combination treatment provided effective and well-tolerated BP lowering in a diverse population of patients with isolated systolic hypertension...
- Effects of an N-type calcium antagonist on angiotensin II-renin feedback
Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories, Ajinomoto Co, Inc, Kawasaki, Japan
Am J Nephrol 33:168-75. 2011
- Beneficial effects of combination of valsartan and amlodipine on salt-induced brain injury in hypertensive rats
Yi Fei Dong
Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Therapeutics, Kumamoto University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 1 1 1 Honjyo, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 339:358-66. 2011
..Our results suggest that the combination of valsartan and amlodipine may be a promising strategy for the prevention of salt-related brain injury in hypertensive patients...
- Endothelial dysfunction and oxidative stress during estrogen deficiency in spontaneously hypertensive rats
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Innere Medizin III, , Homburg/Saar, Germany
Circulation 103:435-41. 2001
..Therefore, estrogen deficiency-induced AT(1) receptor overexpression and oxidative stress may play an important role in cardiovascular diseases associated with menopause...
- A French cost-consequence analysis of the renoprotective benefits of irbesartan in patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension
Andrew J Palmer
CORE Center for Outcomes Research, Allschwil Basel, Switzerland
Curr Med Res Opin 22:2095-100. 2006
..We performed a cost-consequence analysis in a French setting of the renoprotective benefit of irbesartan in hypertensive type 2 diabetes patients over a 25-year period...
- Triple therapy with olmesartan medoxomil, amlodipine besylate, and hydrochlorothiazide in adult patients with hypertension: The TRINITY multicenter, randomized, double-blind, 12-week, parallel-group study
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0007, USA
Clin Ther 32:1252-69. 2010
..Patients with hypertension may require a combination of > or =2 antihypertensive agents to achieve blood pressure (BP) control...
- Selective angiotensin II receptor antagonism reduces insulin resistance in obese Zucker rats
E J Henriksen
Muscle Metabolism Laboratory, Department of Physiology, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ, USA
Hypertension 38:884-90. 2001
- Health economic implications of irbesartan plus conventional antihypertensive medications versus conventional blood pressure control alone in patients with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and renal disease in Switzerland
Andrew J Palmer
Center for Outcomes Research CORE, Binningen Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 136:346-52. 2006
- Comparison of amlodipine/valsartan fixed-dose combination therapy and conventional therapy
Mark A Malesker
Creighton University, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, 2500 California Plaza, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
Manag Care 19:36-42. 2010
- Early antihypertensive efficacy of olmesartan medoxomil
Keio University Health Center, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 10:930-5. 2008
..3% at 2 weeks in the standard BP determination group (P=NS). Rates of adverse drug reactions in the 2 groups were similar. The present study suggests that OM is safe and effective in reducing BP at an early time point of treatment...
- The use of olmesartan medoxomil as monotherapy or in combination with other antihypertensive agents in elderly hypertensive patients in Japan
Health Center, Keio University, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 10:272-9. 2008
..Treatment was well tolerated in all groups. In conclusion, the medication was safe and effective in reducing BP levels in ISH patients aged 75 years and older, as well as in other elderly hypertensive patients...
- Comparison of real-world adherence, healthcare resource utilization and costs for newly initiated valsartan/amlodipine single-pill combination versus angiotensin receptor blocker/calcium channel blocker free-combination therapy
The University of Michigan and STATinMED Research, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
J Med Econ 14:576-83. 2011
- Cilostazol inhibits oxidative stress-induced premature senescence via upregulation of Sirt1 in human endothelial cells
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:1634-9. 2008
..The purpose of the present study was to clarify the molecular mechanisms underlying the preventive effect of treatment with cilostazol on oxidative stress-induced premature senescence in human endothelial cells...
- The collecting duct is the major source of prorenin in diabetes
Jung J Kang
Department of Physiology, Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Hypertension 51:1597-604. 2008
..These novel findings suggest that, in a rat model of diabetes, prorenin content and release from the CD may be more important than the juxtaglomerular apparatus in contrast to the existing paradigm...
- Efficacy and tolerability of a single-pill combination of amlodipine/valsartan in Asian hypertensive patients not adequately controlled with valsartan monotherapy
The First Affiliated Hospital with Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Clin Exp Hypertens 33:179-86. 2011
..1-58.6%) monotherapies. The combination was well tolerated. In conclusion, single-pill combination with Aml/Val provided significant additional BP reduction and control in hypertensive patients not responding to Val 80 mg...
- Cardioprotective effects mediated by angiotensin II type 1 receptor blockade and enhancing angiotensin 1-7 in experimental heart failure in angiotensin-converting enzyme 2-null mice
Vaibhav B Patel
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hypertension 59:1195-203. 2012
- Novel mechanism and role of angiotensin II induced vascular endothelial injury in hypertensive diastolic heart failure
Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Therapeutics, Kumamoto University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 1 1 1 Honjyo, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:2569-75. 2007
..We examined the molecular mechanism of angiotensin (AII)-induced vascular endothelial injury and its significance for hypertensive diastolic heart failure...
- Efficacy and safety of a single-pill combination of amlodipine/valsartan in Asian hypertensive patients inadequately controlled with amlodipine monotherapy
China Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, China
Curr Med Res Opin 26:1705-13. 2010
..This multicentre, randomised, double-blind study assessed the efficacy and safety of a single-pill combination of amlodipine/valsartan versus amlodipine in Asian hypertensive patients...
- Progress report on the first sub-Saharan Africa trial of newer versus older antihypertensive drugs in native black patients
Augustine N Odili
Studies Coordinating Centre, Division of Hypertension and Cardiovascular Rehabilitation, Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Leuven Campus Sint Rafaël, Kapucijnenvoer 35, Block D, Box 7001, Leuven BE 3000, Belgium
Trials 13:59. 2012
- Antihypertensive efficacy and safety of olmesartan medoxomil and ramipril in elderly patients with mild to moderate essential hypertension: the ESPORT study
Department of Internal Medicine, Ospedale L Sacco, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Hypertens 28:2342-50. 2010
..To compare the efficacy and safety of the angiotensin II antagonist olmesartan medoxomil (O) and the ACE inhibitor ramipril (R) in elderly patients with essential arterial hypertension...
- An Asian regional analysis of cost-effectiveness of early irbesartan treatment versus conventional antihypertensive, late amlodipine, and late irbesartan treatments in patients with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and nephropathy
Ghent University and IMS Health, Bruxelles, Belgium, and IMS Health, Bruxelles, Belgium
Value Health 11:354-64. 2008
..This treatment has proven to be cost-effective in Western countries. This study assessed the cost-effectiveness of early irbesartan treatment in Asian settings...
- UVB radiation induces apoptosis in keratinocytes by activating a pathway linked to "BLT2-reactive oxygen species"
Ho Cheol Ryu
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
J Invest Dermatol 130:1095-106. 2010
..Taken together, our results demonstrate that a "BLT2-Nox1"-linked pathway has a crucial role in UVB-induced ROS generation and mediates apoptosis in human keratinocytes...
- Efficacy of various antihypertensive agents as evaluated by indices of vascular stiffness in elderly hypertensive patients
Clinic Jinguumae, Kashihara, Japan
Hypertens Res 26:609-14. 2003
- Cilostazol activates function of bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cell for re-endothelialization in a carotid balloon injury model
Group of Vascular Regeneration Research, Institute of Biomedical Research and Innovation, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e24646. 2011
..We have investigated the hypothesis that CLZ might accelerate re-endothelialization with EPCs...
- Valsartan, captopril, or both in myocardial infarction complicated by heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction, or both
Marc A Pfeffer
Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1893-906. 2003
..In a double-blind trial, we compared the effect of the angiotensin-receptor blocker valsartan, the ACE inhibitor captopril, and the combination of the two on mortality in this population of patients...
- Chronic angiotensin II receptor blockade reduces (intra)renal vascular resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School Hannover, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:1135-40. 2005
..In addition, it significantly reduces oxidative stress. These effects of angiotensin II receptor antagonists may contribute to their beneficial long-term renal effects in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Cilostazol increases tissue blood flow in contracting rabbit gastrocnemius muscle
Otsuka Maryland Medicinal Laboratories, Inc, Rockville, MD, USA
Circ J 74:181-7. 2010
..In the present study the effect of cilostazol on blood flow and interstitial adenosine concentration was compared with that of the PDE3 inhibitor, milrinone, and the adenosine uptake inhibitor, draflazine...
- Clazosentan, an endothelin receptor antagonist, prevents early hypoperfusion during the acute phase of massive experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage: a laser Doppler flowmetry study in rats
Gerrit A Schubert
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
J Neurosurg 109:1134-40. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to further determine the role of ET in the first minutes to hours after massive experimental SAH induced by prophylactic treatment with the ET receptor antagonist clazosentan...
- Biomedical applications of tetrazine cycloadditions
Neal K Devaraj
Center for Systems Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 185 Cambridge Street, CPZN 5206, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Acc Chem Res 44:816-27. 2011
..Future work with tetrazine cycloadditions will undoubtedly lead to optimized protocols, improved probes, and additional biomedical applications...
- Serum levels of the advanced glycation end products Nepsilon-carboxymethyllysine and pentosidine are not influenced by treatment with the angiotensin receptor II type 1 blocker irbesartan in patients with type 2 diabetic nephropathy and hypertension
Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Jena, Jena, Germany
Nephron Clin Pract 108:c291-7. 2008
- Pharmacotherapy for peripheral arterial disease: emerging therapeutic options
Michael R Jaff
The Vascular Ultrasound Core Laboratory, Morristown NJ 07960, USA
Angiology 53:627-33. 2002
..Revascularization procedures, including nonsurgical and surgical techniques, can thus be reserved to improve patency and reduce the risk of limb loss in patients with PAD and IC with more severe impairment...
- The effects of irbesartan and telmisartan on metabolic parameters and blood pressure in obese, insulin resistant, hypertensive patients
Department of Endocrinology, AUSL LE 1, P O V Fazzi, Piazza F Muratore, 73100, Lecce, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 29:957-61. 2006
- An AT1-receptor antagonist and an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor protect against hypoxia-induced apoptosis in human aortic endothelial cells through upregulation of endothelial cell nitric oxide synthase activity
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto, 602 0841, Japan
Shock 19:547-52. 2003
..Both CS and TC can ameliorate hypoxia-induced apoptosis in HAEC through inhibiting caspase-3 activation by enhancing ecNOS activity, via the accumulation of BK...
- Effects of Azelnidipine plus OlmesaRTAn versus amlodipine plus olmesartan on central blood pressure and left ventricular mass index: the AORTA study
Department of Internal Medicine, Clinic Jingumae, Kashihara, Japan
Vasc Health Risk Manag 7:383-90. 2011
..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of olmesartan combined with either azelnidipine or amlodipine on central blood pressure (CBP) and left ventricular mass index (LVMI) in hypertensive patients...
- Effect of candesartan monotherapy on lipid metabolism in patients with hypertension: a retrospective longitudinal survey using data from electronic medical records
Division of Genomic Epidemiology and Clinical Trials, Advanced Medical Research Center, Nihon University School of Medicine, 30 1 Oyaguchi Kamimachi, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8610, Japan
Cardiovasc Diabetol 9:38. 2010
..Our aims were to survey the changes in plasma lipid profile in patients with hypertension over a one-year period, and to examine the correlations between these values and the time after the start of ARB monotherapy with candesartan...
- 24-Hour ambulatory blood pressure control with triple-therapy amlodipine, valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide in patients with moderate to severe hypertension
Hypertension Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Quebec, Canada
J Hum Hypertens 25:615-22. 2011
..Once-daily treatment with amlodipine/valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide (10/320/25 mg) reduces ABP to a significantly greater extent than component-based dual therapy and maintains its effectiveness over the entire 24-h dosing period...
- Cilostazol in the management of atherosclerosis
Department of Neuroscience, Stroke Unit, University of Tor Vergata, 00133 Rome, Italy
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 8:363-72. 2010
..This review will focus on the pharmacological properties of cilostazol and its use in the management of atherothrombotic vascular diseases...
- Rationale and design of the Newer Versus Older Antihypertensive Agents in African Hypertensive Patients (NOAAH) trial
Augustine N Odili
Studies Coordinating Centre, Division of Hypertension and Cardiovascular Rehabilitation, Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Blood Press 20:256-66. 2011