- Estimating GFR using serum cystatin C alone and in combination with serum creatinine: a pooled analysis of 3,418 individuals with CKD
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington St, Box 391, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 51:395-406. 2008
Serum cystatin C was proposed as a potential replacement for serum creatinine in glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimation...
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate
Andrew S Levey
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:604-12. 2009
..Equations to estimate glomerular filtration rate (GFR) are routinely used to assess kidney function. Current equations have limited precision and systematically underestimate measured GFR at higher values...
- Acute renal failure - definition, outcome measures, animal models, fluid therapy and information technology needs: the Second International Consensus Conference of the Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative (ADQI) Group
Department of Intensive Care and Medicine, Austin Health, Melbourne, Australia
Crit Care 8:R204-12. 2004
..Accordingly, we sought to review the available evidence, make recommendations and delineate key questions for future studies...
- Microalbuminuria in the US population: third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
Camille A Jones
Division of Genetics and Epidemiology, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA, 02215, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 39:445-59. 2002
..Untimed urinary albumin concentrations (UACs) and creatinine concentrations were evaluated in a nationally representative sample of 22,244 participants aged 6 years and ..
- Neutrophil-independent mechanisms of caspase-1- and IL-18-mediated ischemic acute tubular necrosis in mice
Vyacheslav Y Melnikov
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, 4200 East 9th Avenue, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Clin Invest 110:1083-91. 2002
..mice with ischemic ARF treated with OPH-001 had a marked (100%) reduction in blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and serum creatinine and a highly significant reduction in morphological acute tubular necrosis (ATN) score compared with vehicle-..
- A more accurate method to estimate glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Group
A S Levey
New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Ann Intern Med 130:461-70. 1999
Serum creatinine concentration is widely used as an index of renal function, but this concentration is affected by factors other than glomerular filtration rate (GFR).
- Using standardized serum creatinine values in the modification of diet in renal disease study equation for estimating glomerular filtration rate
Andrew S Levey
Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Ann Intern Med 145:247-54. 2006
..rate (GFR) estimates facilitate detection of chronic kidney disease but require calibration of the serum creatinine assay to the laboratory that developed the equation...
- Revised equations for estimated GFR from serum creatinine in Japan
Department of Nephrology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 53:982-92. 2009
Estimation of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is limited by differences in creatinine generation among ethnicities...
- Assessing kidney function--measured and estimated glomerular filtration rate
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
N Engl J Med 354:2473-83. 2006
- Association of estimated glomerular filtration rate and albuminuria with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in general population cohorts: a collaborative meta-analysis
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2024 E Monument, Suite 2 630, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Lancet 375:2073-81. 2010
..We undertook a meta-analysis to assess the independent and combined associations of eGFR and albuminuria with mortality...
- Modified glomerular filtration rate estimating equation for Chinese patients with chronic kidney disease
Ying Chun Ma
Division of Nephrology and Institute of Nephrology, The First Hospital, Peking University, No 8 Xishiku Street, Xicheng District, Beijing 100034, PR China
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:2937-44. 2006
..original MDRD equations across CKD stages in a multicenter, cross-sectional study of GFR estimation from plasma creatinine, demographic data, and clinical characteristics...
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine and cystatin C
Lesley A Inker
Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center, 800 Washington St, Box 391, Boston, MA 02111, USA
N Engl J Med 367:20-9. 2012
Estimates of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) that are based on serum creatinine are routinely used; however, they are imprecise, potentially leading to the overdiagnosis of chronic kidney disease...
- New equations to estimate GFR in children with CKD
George J Schwartz
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:629-37. 2009
..GFR as measured by plasma disappearance of iohexol, likely a result of a change in methods used to measure creatinine. Here, we developed equations to estimate GFR using data from the baseline visits of 349 children (aged 1 to 16 ..
- Urinary creatinine concentrations in the U.S. population: implications for urinary biologic monitoring measurements
Dana B Barr
National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:192-200. 2005
..Urinary biomonitoring data typically are adjusted to a constant creatinine concentration to correct for variable dilutions among spot samples...
- Effects of losartan on renal and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy
B M Brenner
Renal Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 345:861-9. 2001
..We assessed the role of the angiotensin-II-receptor antagonist losartan in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy...
- Recommendations for improving serum creatinine measurement: a report from the Laboratory Working Group of the National Kidney Disease Education Program
Gary L Myers
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Clin Chem 52:5-18. 2006
Reliable serum creatinine measurements in glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimation are critical to ongoing global public health efforts to increase the diagnosis and treatment of chronic kidney disease (CKD)...
- Creatine and creatinine metabolism
F Hoffmann La Roche, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, Basel, Switzerland
Physiol Rev 80:1107-213. 2000
The goal of this review is to present a comprehensive survey of the many intriguing facets of creatine (Cr) and creatinine metabolism, encompassing the pathways and regulation of Cr biosynthesis and degradation, species and tissue ..
- Cystatin C versus creatinine in determining risk based on kidney function
Michael G Shlipak
Division of General Internal Medicine, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
N Engl J Med 369:932-43. 2013
Adding the measurement of cystatin C to that of serum creatinine to determine the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) improves accuracy, but the effect on detection, staging, and risk classification of chronic kidney disease ..
- Factors influencing serum cystatin C levels other than renal function and the impact on renal function measurement
Eric L Knight
Channing Laboratory, Renal Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 65:1416-21. 2004
It is well known that serum creatinine may be used as a marker of renal function only if taking into account factors that influence creatinine production, such as age, gender, and weight...
- Renoprotective effect of the angiotensin-receptor antagonist irbesartan in patients with nephropathy due to type 2 diabetes
E J Lewis
Department of Medicine, Rush-Presbyterian-St Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
N Engl J Med 345:851-60. 2001
..the groups with regard to the time to the primary composite end point of a doubling of the base-line serum creatinine concentration, the development of end-stage renal disease, or death from any cause...
- Performance of creatinine and cystatin C GFR estimating equations in an HIV-positive population on antiretrovirals
Lesley A Inker
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 61:302-9. 2012
To evaluate the performance of Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) creatinine, cystatin C, and creatinine-cystatin C estimating equations in HIV-positive patients.
- Accuracy of the MDRD (Modification of Diet in Renal Disease) study and CKD-EPI (CKD Epidemiology Collaboration) equations for estimation of GFR in the elderly
Hannah S Kilbride
The Kent Kidney Care Centre, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust, Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom
Am J Kidney Dis 61:57-66. 2013
..filtration rate (GFR) is a measure of kidney function, commonly estimated using equations that adjust serum creatinine concentration for age, race, and sex...
- Endocytic delivery of lipocalin-siderophore-iron complex rescues the kidney from ischemia-reperfusion injury
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
J Clin Invest 115:610-21. 2005
..We reveal what we believe to be a novel pathway of iron traffic that is activated in human and mouse renal diseases, and it provides a unique method for their treatment...
- Low-grade albuminuria and incidence of cardiovascular disease events in nonhypertensive and nondiabetic individuals: the Framingham Heart Study
Framingham Heart Study, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Circulation 112:969-75. 2005
..Data are limited with regard to the relations of low-grade albuminuria (below the microalbuminuria threshold) and incidence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) events in nondiabetic, nonhypertensive individuals...
- Effect of treatment of hyperuricemia with allopurinol on blood pressure, creatinine clearence, and proteinuria in patients with normal renal functions
35 Sokak, 81 5, Bahcelievler, Ankara, 06490, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 39:1227-33. 2007
..We therefore conducted a prospective study to investigate the benefits of allopurinol treatment in hyperuricemic patients with normal renal function...
- International comparison of the relationship of chronic kidney disease prevalence and ESRD risk
Stein I Hallan
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, St Olav University Hospital, N 7006 Trondheim, Norway
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:2275-84. 2006
..In conclusion, CKD prevalence in Norway was similar to that in the United States, suggesting that lower progression to ESRD rather than a smaller pool of individuals at risk accounts for the lower incidence of ESRD in Norway...
- Detection of chronic kidney disease with creatinine, cystatin C, and urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio and association with progression to end-stage renal disease and mortality
Carmen A Peralta
Department of Medicine, San Francisco VA Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
JAMA 305:1545-52. 2011
..A triple-marker approach for chronic kidney disease (CKD) evaluation has not been well studied...
- Measured GFR does not outperform estimated GFR in predicting CKD-related complications
Chi yuan Hsu
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0532, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:1931-7. 2011
..the cross-sectional associations between known complications of CKD and iGFR, eGFR estimated from serum creatinine (eGFR_Cr), and eGFR estimated from cystatin C (eGFR_cysC)...
- Epidemiology and prognostic significance of chronic kidney disease in the elderly--the Three-City prospective cohort study
Inserm U1018, CESP, Villejuif, France
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:3286-95. 2011
..Little is known about normal kidney function level and the prognostic significance of low estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) in the elderly...
- Relative performance of the MDRD and CKD-EPI equations for estimating glomerular filtration rate among patients with varied clinical presentations
Mayo Clinic Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:1963-72. 2011
..The objective of our study was to compare the accuracy of the MDRD and CKD-EPI equations for estimating GFR in a large group of patients having GFR measurements for diverse clinical indications...
- Urinary creatinine excretion, an indirect measure of muscle mass, is an independent predictor of cardiovascular disease and mortality in the general population
Leendert H Oterdoom
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Atherosclerosis 207:534-40. 2009
..We aimed to determine whether muscle mass, as reflected by 24h urinary creatinine excretion, is associated with CVD and whether this depends on insulin resistance.
- Early intervention with erythropoietin does not affect the outcome of acute kidney injury (the EARLYARF trial)
Zoltan H Endre
Christchurch Kidney Research Group, Department of Medicine, University of Otago, Christchurch, New Zealand
Kidney Int 77:1020-30. 2010
..3, with a primary outcome of relative average plasma creatinine increase from baseline over 4 to 7 days. Of 529 patients, 162 were randomized within an average of 3...
- Normalization of urinary biomarkers to creatinine during changes in glomerular filtration rate
Sushrut S Waikar
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Kidney Int 78:486-94. 2010
..such as albumin and other markers of kidney injury, are frequently reported as a normalized ratio to urinary creatinine (UCr) concentration [UCr] to control for variations in urine flow rate...
- Acute kidney injury, mortality, length of stay, and costs in hospitalized patients
Glenn M Chertow
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 94118 1211, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:3365-70. 2005
..of 19,982 adults who were admitted to an urban academic medical center, including 9210 who had two or more serum creatinine (SCr) determinations, was evaluated...
- Renal function equations before and after living kidney donation: a within-individual comparison of performance at different levels of renal function
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1960-8. 2010
..Whether this is due to the level of GFR as such or to differences in individual characteristics between healthy individuals and patient with chronic kidney disease (CKD) is unknown...
- Effects of chronic lithium treatment on renal function
MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, Department of Psychological Medicine and Neurology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
J Affect Disord 126:436-40. 2010
..A review of the literature suggests that ESRD is a very rare side effect, caused after very long-term lithium treatment, and that it might be preventable if lithium is stopped early...
- Autologous mesenchymal stromal cells and kidney transplantation: a pilot study of safety and clinical feasibility
Transplant Research Center Chiara Cucchi de Alessandri e Gilberto Crespi, Department of Immunology and Transplantation, Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Centro Anna Maria Astori, Parco Scientifico Tecnologico Kilometro Rosso, via Stezzano 87, 24126 Bergamo, Italy
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:412-22. 2011
..Mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) abrogate alloimmune response in vitro, suggesting a novel cell-based approach in transplantation. Moving this concept toward clinical application in organ transplantation should be critically assessed...
- Nonrecovery of kidney function and death after acute on chronic renal failure
Chi yuan Hsu
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0532, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:891-8. 2009
..Relatively little is known about clinical outcomes, especially long-term outcomes, among patients who have chronic kidney disease (CKD) and experience superimposed acute renal failure (ARF; acute on chronic renal failure)...
- Calibration of serum creatinine in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (NHANES) 1988-1994, 1999-2004
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 50:918-26. 2007
The calibration of serum creatinine values to standardized creatinine and the commutability of serum creatinine across surveys are essential to the correct use of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) data for kidney ..
- Acute kidney injury and outcomes in acute decompensated heart failure: evaluation of the RIFLE criteria in an acutely ill heart failure population
Division of Intensive Care Unit, Chiba Hokusoh Hospital, Nippon Medical School, 1715 Kamagari, Inbamura, Inbagun, Chiba 270 1694, Japan
Eur J Heart Fail 12:32-7. 2010
..We therefore investigated the relationship between the prognosis of ADHF and acute kidney injury (AKI) evaluated using the risk, injury, failure, loss, end stage (RIFLE) criteria...
- Serum cystatin C as a new marker for noninvasive estimation of glomerular filtration rate and as a marker for early renal impairment
Services of Nephrology, Biochemistry, Statistics, and Nuclear Medicine, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Am J Kidney Dis 36:29-34. 2000
..mass, it has been postulated to be an improved marker of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) compared with serum creatinine level...
- Urinary IL-18 is an early predictive biomarker of acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery
C R Parikh
Section of Nephrology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Kidney Int 70:199-203. 2006
..immunosorbent assay for IL-18 in 20 patients who developed AKI (defined as a 50% or greater increase in serum creatinine after CPB) and 35 controls (age, race, and gender-matched patients who did not develop AKI after CPB)...
- Urine NGAL predicts severity of acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: a prospective study
Nephrology and Hypertension, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati School of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:665-73. 2008
..In this study, whether an NGAL immunoassay developed for a standardized clinical platform (ARCHITECT analyzer, Abbott Diagnostics Division, Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, IL) can predict AKI after CPB was tested...
- Evaluation of the modification of diet in renal disease study equation in a large diverse population
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Box 391, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2749-57. 2007
..a cross-sectional analysis of 5504 participants in 10 studies that included measurements of standardized serum creatinine and urinary clearance of iothalamate. At eGFR <60 ml/min per 1...
- Diagnostic accuracy of cystatin C compared to serum creatinine for the estimation of renal dysfunction in adults and children--a meta-analysis
Juliana F Roos
School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Clin Biochem 40:383-91. 2007
..To perform a systematic review comparing the diagnostic accuracy of CysC with SCr...
- Increased urinary albumin excretion, endothelial dysfunction, and chronic low-grade inflammation in type 2 diabetes: progressive, interrelated, and independently associated with risk of death
Coen D A Stehouwer
Department of Internal Medicine and Institute for Cardiovascular Research, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes 51:1157-65. 2002
..determined by baseline levels of and the longitudinal development of BMI, systolic blood pressure, serum creatinine, glycated hemoglobin and plasma von Willebrand factor (baseline only), soluble E-selectin (baseline only), ..
- Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in the Japanese general population
Department of Nephrology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 13:621-30. 2009
..We re-estimated the prevalence of CKD by measuring proteinuria using a dipstick test and by calculating the GFR using a new equation that estimates GFR based on data from the Japanese annual health check program in 2005...
- The effect of irbesartan on the development of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes
H H Parving
Steno Diabetes Center, Copenhagen, Denmark
N Engl J Med 345:870-8. 2001
..02). CONCLUSIONS: Irbesartan is renoprotective independently of its blood-pressure-lowering effect in patients with type 2 diabetes and microalbuminuria...
- A comparison between cystatin C, plasma creatinine and the Cockcroft and Gault formula for the estimation of glomerular filtration rate
Frans J Hoek
Academic Medical Center, Department of Clinical Chemistry, Room F1 219, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:2024-31. 2003
In clinical practice, the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is often estimated from plasma creatinine. Several studies have shown cystatin C (cys C) to be a better parameter for the diagnosis of impaired renal function...
- Serum cystatin C is superior to serum creatinine as a marker of kidney function: a meta-analysis
Vikas R Dharnidharka
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 0296, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 40:221-6. 2002
..However, there are conflicting reports regarding the superiority of Cys C over serum creatinine (Cr), with a few studies suggesting no significant difference.
- Prevention of radiographic-contrast-agent-induced reductions in renal function by acetylcysteine
Medizinische Klinik I, Universitatsklinik Marienhospital, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Herne, Germany
N Engl J Med 343:180-4. 2000
..Radiographic contrast agents can cause a reduction in renal function that may be due to reactive oxygen species. Whether the reduction can be prevented by the administration of antioxidants is unknown...
- Serum creatinine level, a surrogate of muscle mass, predicts mortality in peritoneal dialysis patients
Harold Simmons Center for Kidney Disease Research and Epidemiology, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University of California Irvine, School of Medicine, Orange, CA, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 28:2146-55. 2013
In hemodialysis patients, higher serum creatinine (Cr) concentration represents larger muscle mass and predicts greater survival. However, this association remains uncertain in peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients.
- Meta-analysis: serum creatinine changes following contrast enhanced CT imaging
Department of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, LUMC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Radiol 81:2554-61. 2012
..Secondly, we aimed to identify subgroups at increased risk for CIN...
- N-acetylcysteine and contrast-induced nephropathy in primary angioplasty
Centro Cardiologico Monzino, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Institute of Cardiology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
N Engl J Med 354:2773-82. 2006
..We investigated the antioxidant N-acetylcysteine for the prevention of contrast-medium-induced nephropathy in patients undergoing primary angioplasty...
- The association of albuminuria, arterial stiffness, and blood pressure status in nondiabetic, nonhypertensive individuals
Byung Jin Kim
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Hypertens 29:2091-8. 2011
..Although several studies have reported an association between microalbuminuria and pulse wave velocity in patients with hypertension or diabetes, there have been no reports of their significance in apparently healthy individuals...
- Lower serum creatinine is a new risk factor of type 2 diabetes: the Kansai healthcare study
Department of Preventive Medicine and Environmental Health, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Diabetes Care 32:424-6. 2009
..Serum creatinine is a possible surrogate marker of skeletal muscle mass...
- Serum creatinine improves body mass index survival prediction in hemodialysis patients: a 1-year prospective cohort analysis from the ARNOS study
Département de Hémodialyse, Agduc Porte de Provence, Montelimar, France
J Ren Nutr 21:369-75. 2011
This study sought to better characterize the relationships between body mass index (BMI) and lean body mass (LBM) as assessed by serum creatinine (SCr) and mortality.
- Factors other than glomerular filtration rate affect serum cystatin C levels
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Clinical Care Research, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 75:652-60. 2009
..The serum cystatin C and creatinine levels were related to clinical and biochemical parameters and errors-in-variables models were used to account ..
- Evaluation of serum creatinine- and cystatin C-based equations for the estimation of glomerular filtration rate in a Chinese population
Xiao hua Pei
Division of Nephrology, Department of Geriatrics, School of Public Health, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, PR China
Scand J Urol Nephrol 46:223-31. 2012
This study aimed to evaluate the applicability of a selection of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimating equations based on serum creatinine (SCr) and serum cystatin C in a Chinese population.
- Evaluating the performance of equations for estimating glomerular filtration rate
Lesley A Stevens
Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, 800 Washington Street, Box 391 Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nephrol 21:797-807. 2008
..on distinction between bias, precision and accuracy, and with reference to examples of published evaluations of creatinine- and cystatin C-based equations; explanation of errors in GFR estimates; and challenges and questions in ..
- Creatinine, diet, micronutrients, and arsenic methylation in West Bengal, India
Arsenic Health Effects Research Group, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:1308-13. 2011
..Methylation may have an important role in arsenic toxicity, because the monomethylated trivalent metabolite [MMA(III)] is highly toxic...
- Kidney function estimated from serum creatinine and cystatin C and peripheral arterial disease in NHANES 1999-2002
Department of Epidemiology and the Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Eur Heart J 30:1918-25. 2009
Serum cystatin C, a novel marker of kidney function, is reported to be superior to serum creatinine as a risk factor for atherosclerotic disease, but associations may vary across vascular beds.
- Using serum creatinine to estimate glomerular filtration rate: accuracy in good health and in chronic kidney disease
Andrew D Rule
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Intern Med 141:929-37. 2004
..Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate (GFR) from serum creatinine measurements in clinical laboratories...
- Expressing the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study equation for estimating glomerular filtration rate with standardized serum creatinine values
Andrew S Levey
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Clin Chem 53:766-72. 2007
We sought to reexpress the 4-variable Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) Study equation for estimation of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) using serum creatinine (S(cr)) standardized to reference methods.
- Creatinine fluctuation has a greater effect than the formula to estimate glomerular filtration rate on the prevalence of chronic kidney disease
Simon de Lusignan
Division of Community Health Sciences, St George s, University of London, London, UK
Nephron Clin Pract 117:c213-24. 2011
..This study set out to promote a systematic approach to reporting CKD prevalence...
- Kidney injury molecule-1 outperforms traditional biomarkers of kidney injury in preclinical biomarker qualification studies
Vishal S Vaidya
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Biotechnol 28:478-85. 2010
..Whereas histopathology remains the gold standard for nephrotoxicity in animal systems, serum creatinine (SCr) and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) are the primary options for monitoring kidney dysfunction in humans...
- Cystatin C: current position and future prospects
Departement de Biologie Clinique, Institut Claudius Regaud, Universite Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
Clin Chem Lab Med 46:1664-86. 2008
..C is a low-molecular-weight protein which has been proposed as a marker of renal function that could replace creatinine. Indeed, the concentration of cystatin C is mainly determined by glomerular filtration and is particularly of ..
- Does the ID-MS traceable MDRD equation work and is it suitable for use with compensated Jaffe and enzymatic creatinine assays?
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, East Kent Hospitals NHS Trust, Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Canterbury, Kent CT1 3NG, UK
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:2439-45. 2006
International recommendations suggest that measurement of serum creatinine should be supplemented with an estimate of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) using the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) study equation...
- Monitoring of glomerular filtration rate in lithium-treated outpatients--an ambulatory laboratory database surveillance
Réseau Néphropar and Nephrology Department, AP HP, Necker Hospital, Paris, France
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:562-5. 2008
..The long-term risk of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in lithium (Li)-treated patients has been well established in the recent years...
- Risk factors for end-stage renal disease: 25-year follow-up
Chi yuan Hsu
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 521 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0532, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:342-50. 2009
..Few cohort studies have focused on risk factors for end-stage renal disease (ESRD). This investigation evaluated the prognostic value of several potential novel risk factors for ESRD after considering established risk factors...
- Estimating equations for glomerular filtration rate in the era of creatinine standardization: a systematic review
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Ann Intern Med 156:785-95, W-270, W-271, W-272, W-273, W-274, W-275, W-276, W-277, W-278. 2012
Clinical laboratories are increasingly reporting estimated glomerular filtration rate (GFR) by using serum creatinine assays traceable to a standard reference material.
- Cystatin C: an improved estimator of glomerular filtration rate?
Omar F Laterza
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Pathology and Immunology, Division of Laboratory Medicine, Box 8118, 660 S Euclid Ave, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin Chem 48:699-707. 2002
..assessed by measuring the concentrations of endogenous serum markers such as blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine (SCr)...
- Glomerular filtration rate estimated by cystatin C among different clinical presentations
A D Rule
Division of Nephrology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Kidney Int 69:399-405. 2006
Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimates from serum creatinine has not been generalizable across all populations. Cystatin C has been proposed as an alternative marker for estimating GFR...
- Long-term prognosis of acute kidney injury after acute myocardial infarction
Chirag R Parikh
Department of Medicine, Clinical Epidemiology Research Center, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:987-95. 2008
..Acute kidney injury (AKI) is a common complication during hospitalization and is an accepted risk factor for in-hospital mortality. However, the association of severity of AKI with the long-term risk of death is not well defined...
- Comparison of serum creatinine and cystatin C for early diagnosis of contrast-induced nephropathy after coronary angiography and interventions
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Clin Chem 58:458-64. 2012
The diagnostic accuracy of serum creatinine and cystatin C (Cys) as early predictors of contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN) has been debated...
- Minimal changes of serum creatinine predict prognosis in patients after cardiothoracic surgery: a prospective cohort study
Department of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital of Vienna, Waehrihger Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:1597-605. 2004
..Thus, the association between small serum creatinine changes after surgery and mortality, independent of other established perioperative risk indicators, was ..
- Central obesity, incident microalbuminuria, and change in creatinine clearance in the epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complications study
Ian H De Boer
Division of Nephrology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:235-43. 2007
..Whether waist circumference is associated with incident microalbuminuria and change in creatinine clearance was examined among 1279 participants who had type 1 diabetes and were enrolled in the Epidemiology of ..
- Risk factors and clinical outcomes for contrast-induced nephropathy after percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with normal serum creatinine
Alexandra Hospital Cardiac Department National University Heart Centre, National University Hospital, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 39:374-80. 2010
..We aim to examine the risk predictors of contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN) in patients with normal baseline serum creatinine (Cr). CIN is an important complication postpercutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)...
- Performance of creatinine-based equations compared in older patients
Nephrology Department, Hospital E Herriot, HCL, Lyon, France
J Nephrol 26:716-23. 2013
- Biomarkers predict progression of acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery
Jay L Koyner
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Illinois, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:905-14. 2012
..Biomarkers included urinary IL-18, urinary albumin to creatinine ratio (ACR), and urinary and plasma neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL); each measurement was on ..
- AKI in the ICU: definition, epidemiology, risk stratification, and outcomes
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Clinical Research, Investigation, and Systems Modeling of Acute Illness Center, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Kidney Int 81:819-25. 2012
..Even small changes in serum creatinine concentrations are associated with a substantial increase in the risk of death...
- Use of multiple imputation method to improve estimation of missing baseline serum creatinine in acute kidney injury research
Edward D Siew
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 116121st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37232 2372, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 8:10-8. 2013
Baseline creatinine (BCr) is frequently missing in AKI studies. Common surrogate estimates can misclassify AKI and adversely affect the study of related outcomes...
- Trends in the prevalence of reduced GFR in the United States: a comparison of creatinine- and cystatin C-based estimates
Morgan E Grams
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 62:253-60. 2013
The US prevalence of reduced estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) based on serum creatinine level increased during the decade ending in 2002...
- Estimation of the age-dependent decline of glomerular filtration rate from formulas based on creatinine and cystatin C in the general elderly population
Division of Nephrology and Transplantation, Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden Anders christensson med lu se
Nephron Clin Pract 117:c40-50. 2011
To evaluate the performance of estimation formulas for glomerular filtration rate (GFR) based on creatinine and cystatin C in elderly.
- Comparison of urinary albumin-creatinine ratio and albumin excretion rate in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications study
Biostatistics Center, George Washington University, 6110 Executive Boulevard, Suite 700, Rockville, MD 20852 USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1235-42. 2010
The objective of this study was to compare random urine albumin-creatinine ratio (ACR) with timed urine albumin excretion rate (AER) in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Using mathematical algorithms to modify glomerular filtration rate estimation equations
Division of Nephrology, Department of Geriatrics, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
PLoS ONE 8:e57852. 2013
..Thus, this study was designed to modify the three equations, and compare the diagnostic accuracy of the equations modified before and after...
- A longitudinal study of urinary creatinine and creatinine clearance in normal subjects. Race, sex, and age differences
G D James
Cardiovascular Center, New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical College, NY 10021
Am J Hypertens 1:124-31. 1988
The purpose of this study was to examine the variability of 24-hour urinary and serum creatinine levels and creatinine clearance in normal subjects and to develop nomograms for assessing the adequacy of 24-hour urine collections...
- The risk of developing end-stage renal disease in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy: the RENAAL study
William F Keane
Department of Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Kidney Int 63:1499-507. 2003
..We examined the risk factors that predict loss of kidney function (doubling of serum creatinine) or ESRD (dialysis or transplantation) in patients with type 2 diabetes in whom blood pressure was controlled.
- Rapid kidney function decline and mortality risk in older adults
Dena E Rifkin
Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center, 750 Washington St, Box 391, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:2212-8. 2008
..It remains unknown, however, whether longitudinal declines in kidney function are independently associated with increased cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in older adults...
- Monitoring renal function: measured and estimated glomerular filtration rates - a review
J V Salgado
Departamento de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade de Brasilia, DF, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 43:528-36. 2010
..Blood creatinine clearance, the most widely used clinical marker of kidney function, is now recognized as an unreliable measure ..
- Selective renal overexpression of human heat shock protein 27 reduces renal ischemia-reperfusion injury in mice
Departments of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10032 3784, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 299:F347-58. 2010
..Mice with kidney-specific reconstitution of huHSP27 had significantly lower plasma creatinine, renal necrosis, apoptosis, and inflammation as demonstrated by decreased proinflammatory cytokine mRNA ..
- Comparison of plasma clearance of iohexol and urinary clearance of inulin for measurement of GFR in children
Ulla B Berg
Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Kidney Dis 57:55-61. 2011
..Very few studies have been published that compare plasma clearance of iohexol (Cio) with renal clearance of inulin (Cin)...
- Urine C-peptide creatinine ratio is an alternative to stimulated serum C-peptide measurement in late-onset, insulin-treated diabetes
A G Jones
Peninsula NIHR Clinical Research Facility, Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK
Diabet Med 28:1034-8. 2011
..Urine C-peptide creatinine ratio may be a non-invasive practical alternative...
- Focusing on the clinical impact of standardization of creatinine measurements: a report by the EFCC Working Group on Creatinine Standardization
Joris R Delanghe
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:977-82. 2011
The recent campaign for standardization of creatinine measurements has been promoted to allow the widespread use of formulas for estimating the glomerular filtration rate (GFR)...
- High activity of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase is associated with renal insufficiency in Puumala hantavirus induced nephropathia epidemica
Tuula K Outinen
Department of Internal Medicine, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
J Med Virol 83:731-7. 2011
..Serum kynurenine, tryptophan, creatinine, CRP, and blood cell count were measured for up to 5 consecutive days after admission...
- Elevated admission serum creatinine predicts poor myocardial blood flow and one-year mortality in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention
Department of Cardiology, Beijing Friendship Hospital, Capital Medical University, No 95 Yong an Road, Xuanwu District, Beijing, 100050, China
J Invasive Cardiol 21:493-8. 2009
..However, data regarding admission serum creatinine and coronary and myocardial flow are scant...
- Performance of the Cockcroft-Gault, MDRD, and new CKD-EPI formulas in relation to GFR, age, and body size
Wieneke Marleen Michels
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1003-9. 2010
- Is the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration four-level race equation better than the cystatin C equation?
Department of Nephrology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Nephrology (Carlton) 17:407-14. 2012
..rate (GFR) in Chinese people with chronic kidney disease (CKD), which was published in 2011, compared with the cystatin C-based GFR estimation equation (CysC GFR) and the combination of CysC and serum creatinine equation (CysC-Scr GFR).
- Reference values for serum creatinine in children younger than 1 year of age
Dirk P Boer
Department of Paediatric Nephrology, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, Erasmus University Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 60, 3015 GJ, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Nephrol 25:2107-13. 2010
Reliable reference values of enzymatically assayed serum creatinine categorized in small age intervals are lacking in young children...
- A simplified method for HPLC determination of creatinine in mouse serum
Peter S T Yuen
Renal Diagnostics and Therapeutics Unit, NIDDK, NIH, 10 Center Dr, Rm 3N108, Bethesda, MD 20892 1268, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F1116-9. 2004
..However, mouse serum contains chromagens that interfere with standard picric acid-based assays for serum creatinine. Several alternative methods exist for serum creatinine measurements, including assay by high-performance liquid ..
- Environmental lead exposure and progressive renal insufficiency
J L Lin
Poison Center and Division of Nephrology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 199, Tung Hwa North Road, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Arch Intern Med 161:264-71. 2001
Several recent studies show that serum creatinine level or creatinine clearance is inversely associated with blood lead levels. However, the studies did not allow direct inferences about causality.