Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pharmaceutical agent that displays activity as a central nervous system and respiratory stimulant. It is considered a non-competitive GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID antagonist. Pentylenetetrazole has been used experimentally to study seizure phenomenon and to identify pharmaceuticals that may control seizure susceptibility.
Publications300 found, 100 shown here
- Single injection of a low dose of pentylenetetrazole leads to epileptogenesis in an animal model of cortical dysplasiaRoger O Oghlakian
Cleveland Clinic, Neurological Institute, Epilepsy Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Epilepsia 50:801-10. 2009..of this study is to further characterize the animal model of in utero radiation-induced CD and to illustrate the effect of a late postnatal second hit (low dose of pentylenetetrazole, PTZ) on the development of spontaneous seizures.
- Loss of zebrafish lgi1b leads to hydrocephalus and sensitization to pentylenetetrazol induced seizure-like behaviorYong Teng
GHSU Cancer Center, School of Medicine, Georgia Health Sciences University, Augusta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24596. 2011..As shown for the lgi1a morphants, however, lgi1b morphants are also sensitized to PTZ-induced hyperactivity. The different phenotypes between the two lgi1 morphants support a subfunctionalization model for the two paralogs...
- Pentylenetetrazole induced changes in zebrafish behavior, neural activity and c-fos expressionS C Baraban
Epilepsy Research Laboratory, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, Box 0520, 503 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Neuroscience 131:759-68. 2005..g. zebrafish larvae (Danio rerio). Exposure to a common convulsant agent (pentylenetetrazole, PTZ) induced a stereotyped and concentration-dependent sequence of behavioral changes culminating in clonus-..
- Chronic pentylenetetrazole but not donepezil treatment rescues spatial cognition in Ts65Dn mice, a model for Down syndromeN Rueda
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Neurosci Lett 433:22-7. 2008..experimental models, the acetylcholinesterase inhibitor donepezil and the non-competitive GABA(A) antagonist pentylenetetrazole (PTZ), to improve the cognitive deficits found in TS mice. The drugs were administered p.o...
- Voltage-dependent calcium channel and NMDA receptor antagonists augment anticonvulsant effects of lithium chloride on pentylenetetrazole-induced clonic seizures in miceMehdi Ghasemi
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 13145 784, Tehran, Iran
Epilepsy Behav 18:171-8. 2010..In the present study, using a model of clonic seizures induced with pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) in male Swiss mice, we investigated whether there is any interaction between lithium and either ..
- Timed pentylenetetrazol infusion test: a comparative analysis with s.c.PTZ and MES models of anticonvulsant screening in miceSanjay N Mandhane
Sun Pharma Advanced Research Centre, Tandalja, Vadodara 390 020, India
Seizure 16:636-44. 2007..v.PTZ test as an acute seizure model for screening of antiepileptic drugs. This model can identify molecules with varied mechanism of action and broad clinical utility in the treatment of epilepsy...
- Recording the adult zebrafish cerebral field potential during pentylenetetrazole seizuresRicardo Pineda
Department of Neuroscience, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Neurosci Methods 200:20-8. 2011..The purpose of this paper is to introduce a readily implementable technique for recording pentylenetetrazole seizures in the adult zebrafish...
- Effects of epigallocatechin-3-gallate on pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling, cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in ratsTao Xie
Key Laboratory of Neurology of Hebei Province, The Second Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, Hebei 050000, China
Neurosci Lett 516:237-41. 2012..to assess the effect of EGCG against seizures, seizure-induced oxidative stress and cognitive impairment in pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling...
- Caffeic acid phenethyl ester exerts a neuroprotective effect on CNS against pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures in miceAtilla Ilhan
Inonu University Medical Faculty, Department of Neurology, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Malatya, Turkey
Neurochem Res 29:2287-92. 2004..to play a critical role, we explored the effects of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE) administration in pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizure in mice...
- Pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures cause acute, but not chronic, mTOR pathway activation in ratBo Zhang
Department of Neurology and the Hope Center for Neurological Disorders, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Epilepsia 53:506-11. 2012..To isolate the direct effects of seizures on the mTOR pathway, the time course and mechanisms of mTOR activation were investigated with acute seizures induced by pentylenetetrazole (PTZ), which does not lead to chronic epilepsy.
- The effect of L-arginine and L-NAME on pentylenetetrazole induced seizures in ovariectomized rats, an in vivo studyMahmoud Hosseini
Dept of Physiology, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Seizure 18:695-8. 2009..study carried out to evaluate the effect of chronic administration of L-arginine (LA) and L-NAME (LN) on pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) induced epilepsy in ovariectomized (OVX) and naïve female rats...
- A large-scale mutagenesis screen to identify seizure-resistant zebrafishScott C Baraban
Epilepsy Research Laboratory in the Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Epilepsia 48:1151-7. 2007..Here we describe a novel strategy to isolate seizure-resistant zebrafish mutants from a large-scale mutagenesis screen...
- Pentylenetetrazole-induced inhibition of recombinant gamma-aminobutyric acid type A (GABA(A)) receptors: mechanism and site of actionR Q Huang
Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, Texas 76107, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 298:986-95. 2001b>Pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) is a central nervous system convulsant that is thought, based on binding studies, to act at the picrotoxin (PTX) site of the gamma-aminobutyric acid type A (GABA(A)) receptor...
- Anticonvulsant effects of thymoquinone, the major constituent of Nigella sativa seeds, in miceH Hosseinzadeh
Pharmaceutical Research Center, Department of Pharmacodynamy and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, IR Iran
Phytomedicine 11:56-64. 2004..effects of thymoquinone, the major constituent of Nigella sativa seeds, were investigated using pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)- and maximal electroshock (MES)-induced seizure models...
- Effects of tianeptine on onset time of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in mice: possible role of adenosine A1 receptorsTayfun I Uzbay
Department of Medical Pharmacology, Psychopharmacology Research Unit, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:412-6. 2007..This study was organized to investigate the effects of tianeptine, an atypical antidepressant, on pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizure in mice. A possible contribution of adenosine receptors was also evaluated...
- Protective effect of curcumin against seizures and cognitive impairment in a pentylenetetrazole-kindled epileptic rat modelJogender Mehla
Neuropharmacology Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Life Sci 87:596-603. 2010..Hence, this study was conducted to evaluate the effect of curcumin against seizures, cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling in rats.
- GM1 ganglioside prevents seizures, Na+,K+-ATPase activity inhibition and oxidative stress induced by glutaric acid and pentylenetetrazoleMichele Rechia Fighera
Laboratório de Psicofarmacologia e Neurotoxicologia, Departamento de Fisiologia e Farmacologia, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, 97105 900 Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Neurobiol Dis 22:611-23. 2006..GM1 also decreased pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced (1...
- Behavioral characterization of pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures in the marmosetJoão C Bachiega
Department of Physiology, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Epilepsy Behav 13:70-6. 2008..The present study describes the PTZ model of seizures in marmosets with a drug-response profile similar to that of the rodent model, thus bringing to a well-known model (PTZ in rodents) the complexity of a nonhuman primate brain...
- Block of spontaneous termination of paroxysmal depolarizations by forskolin (buccal ganglia, Helix pomatia)Atik Ure
Institute of Experimental Epilepsy Research, University of Munster, Hüfferstrabe 68, Germany
Neurosci Lett 392:10-5. 2006..Results suggest that forskolin blocks an endogenous antiepileptic process and that activation of PKA can maintain epileptic activity and induce status epilepticus...
- Changes in the blood-brain barrier permeability and in the brain tissue trace element concentrations after single and repeated pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in ratsD Sahin
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kocaeli University, Derince 41900 Kocaeli, Turkey
Pharmacol Res 48:69-73. 2003..For this purpose, animals were treated with either single or repeated doses of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ). As a marker of blood-brain barrier (B-BB) permeability changes, Evans Blue (EB) dye was used...
- Anticonvulsant effect of flutamide on seizures induced by pentylenetetrazole: involvement of benzodiazepine receptorsAbolhassan Ahmadiani
Neuroscience Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 13164, Iran
Epilepsia 44:629-35. 2003..There is some structural similarity between the androgen receptor antagonist, flutamide (Flut) and benzodiazepines (BZDs). We evaluated the possible anticonvulsant effect and interaction of Flut with BZD receptors in common seizure models...
- Metformin protects against seizures, learning and memory impairments and oxidative damage induced by pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling in miceRan Ran Zhao
Key Laboratory of Neurology of Hebei Province, The Second Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, Hebei 050071, PR China Department of Emergency, The First Hospital of Handan, Handan, Hebei 056002, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 448:414-7. 2014..effects of metformin on seizures, cognitive impairment and brain oxidative stress markers observed in pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling animals...
- Seizures induced by pentylenetetrazole in the adult zebrafish: a detailed behavioral characterizationBen Hur M Mussulini
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
PLoS ONE 8:e54515. 2013b>Pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) is a common convulsant agent used in animal models to investigate the mechanisms of seizures...
- Assessment of the convulsant liability of antidepressants using zebrafish and mouse seizure modelsKatia Vermoesen
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Drug Analysis, Center for Neuroscience, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Epilepsy Behav 22:450-60. 2011..proconvulsant effects of three antidepressants (citalopram, reboxetine, bupropion) against pilocarpine- and pentylenetetrazole-induced acute seizures in larval zebrafish and mice...
- Effects of sildenafil on pentylenetetrazol-induced convulsions in mice and amygdala-kindled seizures in ratsDorota Nieoczym
Department of Animal Physiology, Institute of Biology, Maria Curie Skłodowska University, Akademicka 19, PL 20 033 Lublin, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 62:383-91. 2010..Based on these data and in view of the clinical observations, sildenafil should be used in patients suffering from epilepsy with caution and only based on a careful individual risk/benefit evaluation...
- Anticonvulsant activity of bisabolene sesquiterpenoids of Curcuma longa in zebrafish and mouse seizure modelsAdriana Monserrath Orellana-Paucar
Laboratory for Molecular Biodiscovery, Department of Pharmaceutical and Pharmacological Sciences, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Epilepsy Behav 24:14-22. 2012..Here, we present the first report of the anticonvulsant properties of bisabolene sesquiterpenoids and provide evidence which warrants further investigation toward the mechanistic understanding of their neuromodulatory activity...
- The fruit essential oil of Pimpinella anisum L. (Umblliferae) induces neuronal hyperexcitability in snail partly through attenuation of after-hyperpolarizationMahyar Janahmadi
Neuroscience Research Center and Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University Medical Campus, P O Box 19615 1178, Evin, Tehran, Iran
J Ethnopharmacol 120:360-5. 2008..We determined whether the fruit essential oil of anise affect the bioelectrical activity of snail neurons in control condition or after pentylenetetrazol (PTZ) induced epileptic activity...
- Proteomic identification of the involvement of the mitochondrial rieske protein in epilepsyHeike Junker
Institutes of Biochemistry, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Epilepsia 46:339-43. 2005....
- Improvement of pentylenetetrazol-induced learning deficits by valproic acid in the adult zebrafishYunkyoung Lee
Department of Biological Sciences, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Inha University, Incheon, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 643:225-31. 2010..Collectively, our data show the antiepileptic effects of VPA in the adult zebrafish, which coincides with reduced hsp70 mRNA expression, rescued learning impairment under PTZ-treated conditions...
- Antiepileptic effects of ghrelin on pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in ratsBasra Deniz Obay
Dicle University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Physiology, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Peptides 28:1214-9. 2007..study we aimed to investigate the antiepileptic effect of ghrelin in an acute experimental epilepsy model in pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) injected rats...
- The cannabinoid anticonvulsant effect on pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure is potentiated by ultra-low dose naltrexone in miceArash Bahremand
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Epilepsy Res 81:44-51. 2008..antagonist naltrexone and a combination of ACEA and naltrexone doses in a model of clonic seizure induced by pentylenetetrazole (PTZ). Systemic injection of ultra-low doses of naltrexone (1pg/kg to 1ng/kg, i.p...
- Effects of novel 6-desfluoroquinolones and classic quinolones on pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in miceA De Sarro
Chair of Chemotherapy, Institute of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:1729-36. 1999..proconvulsant effects exhibited by a novel series of 6-desfluoroquinolones and some classic quinolones on pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures in mice were evaluated and compared...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 contributes to kindled seizure development in pentylenetetrazole-treated mice by converting pro-BDNF to mature BDNF in the hippocampusHiroyuki Mizoguchi
Futuristic Environmental Simulation Center, Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
J Neurosci 31:12963-71. 2011..Here, we investigated the role of MMP-9 in the development of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced kindled seizure in mice...
- Leptin inhibits 4-aminopyridine- and pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures and AMPAR-mediated synaptic transmission in rodentsLin Xu
Department of Neurology and Hope Center for Neurological Disorders, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Clin Invest 118:272-80. 2008..of leptin produced elevated brain and serum leptin levels and delayed the onset of chemical convulsant pentylenetetrazole-induced generalized convulsive seizures. Leptin also reduced neuronal spiking in an in vitro seizure model...
- Effect of Centella asiatica on pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling, cognition and oxidative stress in ratsY K Gupta
Neuropharmacology Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, 110029, New Delhi, India
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 74:579-85. 2003..on the course of kindling development, kindling-induced learning deficit and oxidative stress markers in pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) kindled rats...
- Enhanced susceptibility to the GABA antagonist pentylenetetrazole during the latent period following a pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus in ratsMarta Rattka
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Pharmacy, University of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Neuropharmacology 60:505-12. 2011..Timed intravenous infusion of the GABA(A) receptor antagonist pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) was used for this purpose...
- Long-term L-NAME treatment potentiates the blood-brain barrier disruption during pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in ratsRivaze Kalayci
Research Institute for Experimental Medicine, Istanbul University, Capa 34390, Istanbul, Turkey
Life Sci 79:16-20. 2006We investigated whether the severity of blood-brain barrier disruption caused by pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures is modified by long-term nitric oxide synthase inhibition in rats...
- The effects of pentylenetetrazole-induced status epilepticus on behavior, emotional memory, and learning in ratsFusun Erdogan
Neurology Department, Medical Faculty, Erciyes University, Kayseri 38039, Turkey
Epilepsy Behav 5:388-93. 2004..SE was induced in 50- to 60-day-old rats (P50-P60) using intraperitoneal injections of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ, n = 20); control rats received saline (n = 10)...
- Isobolographic characterization of the anticonvulsant interaction profiles of levetiracetam in combination with clonazepam, ethosuximide, phenobarbital and valproate in the mouse pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure modelMonika Dudra-Jastrzebska
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Lublin, Jaczewskiego 8, PL 20 090 Lublin, Poland
Seizure 18:607-14. 2009..drugs (AEDs) clonazepam (CZP), ethosuximide (ETS), phenobarbital (PB), and valproate (VPA) in suppressing pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced clonic seizures in mice by use of type II isobolographic analysis...
- Levetiracetam decreases the seizure activity and blood-brain barrier permeability in pentylenetetrazole-kindled rats with cortical dysplasiaCandan Gurses
Department of Neurology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Turkey
Brain Res 1281:71-83. 2009..effects of levetiracetam (LEV) on the functional and structural properties of blood-brain barrier (BBB) in pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-kindled rats with cortical dysplasia (CD)...
- Time course of changes in the concentrations of monoamines in the brain structures of pentylenetetrazole-kindled ratsJanusz Szyndler
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Warsaw, 26 28 Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street, 00 927 Warsaw, Poland
J Neural Transm 117:707-18. 2010This work attempted to "biochemically" map the brain structures that are recruited at the different stages of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) kindling (in a model of temporal lobe epilepsy induced by a repeated, systemic administration of PTZ, ..
- Effects of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures on metabolomic profiles of rat brainStacey Carmody
UCD School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, UCD Conway Institute, University College Dublin UCD, Dublin 4, Ireland
Neurochem Int 56:340-4. 2010..Using a pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) kindling model of epilepsy metabolomic analysis of brain extracts from the cerebellum, brain stem, ..
- Electroencephalographic characterisation of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in mice lacking the alpha 4 subunit of the neuronal nicotinic receptorC D McColl
Neurosciences Group, Department of Medicine, Monash University, 5th Floor E Block, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia
Neuropharmacology 44:234-43. 2003..the untreated state and for 1 h following administration of the gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) antagonist, pentylenetetrazole (PTZ, 80 mg/kg)...
- Possible involvement of PPAR-gamma receptor and nitric oxide pathway in the anticonvulsant effect of acute pioglitazone on pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in miceRazieh Adabi Mohazab
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Epilepsy Res 101:28-35. 2012..In the present study, the effects of acutely administered pioglitazone on pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures and involvement of NO were evaluated in mice...
- Reduction of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure activity in awake rats by seizure-triggered trigeminal nerve stimulationE E Fanselow
Departments of Neurobiology and Biomedical Engineering, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 20:8160-8. 2000..Seizure activity induced by intraperitoneal injection of pentylenetetrazole was recorded from microwire electrodes in the thalamus and cortex of awake rats while the infraorbital ..
- Gender difference in the influence of antioxidants on the blood-brain barrier permeability during pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures in hyperthermic rat pupsBaria Oztas
Department of Physiology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Capa, Istanbul, 34390, Turkey
Biol Trace Elem Res 118:77-83. 2007..05). Treatment with selenium or vitamin E has beneficial effects on the BBB breakdown during convulsions. But gender differences are very important in BBB permeability under pathological conditions and antioxidant treatments...
- BDNF-TrkB signaling pathway is involved in pentylenetetrazole-evoked progression of epileptiform activity in hippocampal neurons in anesthetized ratsXu Liu
Neurology Department, Zhongshan Hospital, Institutes of Brain Science and State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Fudan University, Shanghai, 200032, China
Neurosci Bull 29:565-75. 2013b>Pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) is a widely-used convulsant used in studies of epilepsy; its subcutaneous injection generates an animal model with stable seizures...
- Changes in the Egr1 and Arc expression in brain structures of pentylenetetrazole-kindled ratsJanusz Szyndler
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Warsaw, Krakowskie Przedmiescie 26 28, PL 00 927 Warszawa, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 65:368-78. 2013..Some of immediate early genes (IEGs) as egr1 (zif268) or arc (arg3.1) are believed to play an important role in the process of epileptogenesis. However, how these genes are engaged in epilepsy is not fully elucidated...
- Anticonvulsant effects of Fuzi total alkaloid on pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure in miceBingjin Li
National Engineering Laboratory for Druggable Gene and Protein Screening, Northeast Normal University, China
J Pharmacol Sci 123:195-8. 2013..anticonvulsant effect of acute Fuzi total alkaloid (FTA) in seizure induced by the GABAA-receptor antagonist pentylenetetrazole (PTZ). FTA significantly increased the seizure latency and decreased the mortality in PTZ-treated mice...
- Amygdala-kindled and pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in glutamate transporter GLAST-deficient miceT Watanabe
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa Medical University, 1750 1, Miki cho, Kita gun, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Brain Res 845:92-6. 1999..role of the astroglial glutamate transporter GLAST in epileptogenesis, we examined amygdala (AM)-kindled and pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures in GLAST-deficient mice (GLAST(-/-)) and compared them to those observed in wild-type ..
- Anti-convulsant action and amelioration of oxidative stress by Glycyrrhiza glabra root extract in pentylenetetrazole- induced seizure in albino ratsBimalendu Chowdhury
Department of Pharmacology, Roland Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Khodasingi, Berhampur, Odisha, India
Indian J Pharmacol 45:40-3. 2013..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the anti-convulsant potential of aqueous and ethanol e xtract of Glycyrrhiza glabra (AEGG and EEGG) and its action on markers of oxidant stress in albino rats...
- Role of ATP-sensitive potassium channels in the biphasic effects of morphine on pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure threshold in miceHamed Shafaroodi
Department of Pharmacology, Tehran Medical Unit, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Epilepsy Res 75:63-9. 2007..K(ATP) channel opener cromakalim, the possible involvement of K(ATP) channels in the effects of morphine on pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizure threshold in mice was investigated...
- Zebrafish offer the potential for a primary screen to identify a wide variety of potential anticonvulsantsStephane Berghmans
DanioLabs Ltd, 7330 Cambridge Research Park, Cambridge CB25 9TN, UK
Epilepsy Res 75:18-28. 2007..These results suggest zebrafish may be a useful high throughput primary screen to pick up potential novel AEDs...
- Neurohypophyseal hormones protect against pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in zebrafish: role of oxytocin-like and V1a-like receptorDaniela Braida
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie mediche e Medicina traslazionale, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Vanvitelli 32, Milan, Italy
Peptides 37:327-33. 2012..We attempted to determine whether non-mammalian homologues like isotocin (IT) and vasotocin (AVT) affected pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures in adult zebrafish in comparison with OT/AVP...
- Anticonvulsant and antioxidative activity of hydroalcoholic extract of tuber of Orchis mascula in pentylenetetrazole and maximal electroshock induced seizures in ratsMonika Pahuja
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Ethnopharmacol 142:23-7. 2012..Orchis mascula tuber is used in many polyherbal formulations as a nerve tonic in India...
- Effects of compounds acting on GABA(B) receptors in the pentylenetetrazole kindling model of epilepsy in miceG De Sarro
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Catanzaro Magna Grecia, Policlinico Mater Domini, Via T Campanella, 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
Neuropharmacology 39:2147-61. 2000..discharges occurring in chemical kindling induced by repeated treatments with a subconvulsant dose of pentylenetetrazole (25 mg/kg i.p.) has been investigated in CD1 mice...
- Anticonvulsant and antioxidant actions of trimetazidine in pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling model in miceSeema Jain
Department of Pharmacology, University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi, Delhi, 110095, India
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 383:385-92. 2011The present study was carried out to investigate the effect of trimetazidine on the course of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced chemical kindling and oxidative stress markers in PTZ-kindled mice...
- Do proconvulsants modify or halt epileptogenesis? Pentylenetetrazole is ineffective in two rat models of temporal lobe epilepsyMarta Rattka
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy, University of Veterinary Medicine, Bunteweg 17, D 30559 Hannover, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 36:2505-20. 2012..present study, we evaluated this provocative hypothesis by experiments with the GABA(A) receptor antagonist pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) in two TLE models, the intrahippocampal kainate model and the lithium-pilocarpine model in rats...
- Effects of WIN 55,212-2 mesylate (a synthetic cannabinoid) on the protective action of clonazepam, ethosuximide, phenobarbital and valproate against pentylenetetrazole-induced clonic seizures in miceJarogniew J Luszczki
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Lublin, Jaczewskiego 8, PL 20 090 Lublin, Poland
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 35:1870-6. 2011..drugs (AEDs: clonazepam [CZP], ethosuximide [ETS], phenobarbital [PB], and valproate [VPA]) in the mouse pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced clonic seizure model. WIN (15 mg/kg, i.p...
- The interaction of sildenafil with the anticonvulsant effect of diazepamTaha Gholipour
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Pharmacol 617:79-83. 2009..effect of diazepam on a mouse model of clonic seizures induced by intravenous infusion of GABA antagonist, pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)...
- Endogenous pacemaker potentials develop into paroxysmal depolarization shifts (PDSs) with application of an epileptogenic drugUlrich Altrup
Institut für Experimentelle Epilepsieforschung, University of Munster, Hüfferstrasse 68, 48149 Munster, Germany
Brain Res 975:73-84. 2003..Results demonstrate that, in the used model nervous systems, pacemaker potentials which are generated by the single neurons are the physiologic basis of epileptic activity...
- Pentylenetetrazole as an unconditioned stimulus for olfactory and contextual fear conditioning in ratsJuliana Cavalli
Departamento de Farmacologia, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC 88040 900, Brazil
Neurobiol Learn Mem 92:512-8. 2009..The present study sought to investigate whether the systemic administration of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ; 3.75-15 mg/kg) would turn the coffee odor in a conditioned stimulus in the fear conditioning paradigm...
- Effects of antiepileptics on behavioral and electroencephalographic seizure induced by pentetrazol in miceYusuke Watanabe
Department of Medicinal Pharmacology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 112:282-9. 2010..Moreover, it is supposed that employing an index of EEG activity in addition to that of behavioral activity is desirable for objectivity...
- Dietary supplementation with acetyl-l-carnitine in seizure treatment of pentylenetetrazole kindled miceOlav B Smeland
Dept of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Neurochem Int 61:444-54. 2012..To our knowledge, this is the first study of ALCAR's effect on metabolism in pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) kindled mice...
- Roles of metabotropic glutamate receptor subtypes in modulation of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure activity in miceC Thomsen
Novo Nordisk A S, Health Care Discovery, Måløv, Denmark
Neuropharmacology 37:1465-73. 1998..of ligands at metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluRs) were examined in a chemoconvulsant model using pentylenetetrazole (PTZ). Mice received mGluR ligands by intracerebroventricular (i.c.v...
- Isobolographic characterisation of interactions among selected newer antiepileptic drugs in the mouse pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure modelJarogniew J Luszczki
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Lublin, Jaczewskiego 8, 20 090, Lublin, Poland
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 372:41-54. 2005..of combinations of GBP and TGB with other AEDs at fixed ratios of 1:3, 1:1 and 3:1 were investigated in pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures and the chimney test (as a measure of motor impairment) in mice so as to identify ..
- Nitric oxide content measured by ESR-spectroscopy in the rat brain is increased during pentylenetetrazole-induced seizuresV Bashkatova
Institute of Pharmacology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow
J Mol Neurosci 14:183-90. 2000..A nearly fivefold elevation in NO content was found at the peak time of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures...
- Pharmacodynamic interaction studies with topiramate in the pentylenetetrazol and maximal electroshock seizure modelsGraeme J Sills
Epilepsy Unit, Clinical Pharmacology Section, University Division of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, Western Infirmary, Glasgow G11 6NT, Scotland, UK
Seizure 13:287-95. 2004....
- Acute exposure to caffeine decreases the anticonvulsant action of ethosuximide, but not that of clonazepam, phenobarbital and valproate against pentetrazole-induced seizures in miceJarogniew J Luszczki
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Lublin, Jaczewskiego 8, PL 20 090 Lublin, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 58:652-9. 2006..In conclusion, the acute exposure to CAF may diminish the antiseizure protection offered by ETS in epileptic patients. Therefore, patients treated with ETS should avoid CAF...
- Effect of the calcium channel blockers nifedipine and diltiazem on pentylenetetrazole kindling-provoked amnesia in ratsM G Genkova-Papazova
Laboratory of CNS Pharmacology, Institute of Physiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Acad G Bonchev Str, bl 23, 1113, Sofia, Bulgaria
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 11:91-6. 2001..Deficit in various behaviour tasks has been found in rats subjected to experimental epilepsy-pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) kindling...
- A role for opioid system in the proconvulsant effects of sildenafil on the pentylenetetrazole-induced clonic seizure in miceLaleh Montaser-Kouhsari
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 13145 784, Tehran, Iran
Seizure 20:409-13. 2011..We previously have shown that sildenafil had proconvulsant effects in a model of clonic seizure induced by pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) or bicuculline...
- Seizure tests distinguish intermittent fasting from the ketogenic dietAdam L Hartman
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Epilepsia 51:1395-402. 2010..We challenged this assumption by profiling the effects of these dietary regimens in mice subjected to a battery of acute seizure tests...
- The proconvulsant effect of sildenafil in mice: role of nitric oxide-cGMP pathwayKiarash Riazi
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Poursina Street, P O Box 13145 784, Tehran, Iran
Br J Pharmacol 147:935-43. 2006..mg kg(-1)) was investigated on clonic seizures induced by intravenous administration of GABA antagonists pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) and bicuculine and on generalized tonic seizures induced by intraperitoneal administration of high ..
- Amiloride protects against pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling in miceAtif Ali
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard University, New Delhi 110062, India
Br J Pharmacol 145:880-4. 2005..or not amiloride, a sodium-hydrogen exchanger (NHE) inhibitor, can protect against seizure development of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced kindling in mice.Kindling was induced by once every 2 days treatment with PTZ (25 mg kg(-1) i...
- Progestins in the hippocampus of female rats have antiseizure effects in a pentylenetetrazole seizure modelMadeline E Rhodes
Department of Psychology, The University at Albany SUNY, Albany, New York 12222, USA
Epilepsia 45:1531-8. 2004..The present studies were designed to characterize the effects of progestins to modulate pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures in female rats.
- PTZ-induced seizures inhibit adenosine deamination in adult zebrafish brain membranesAnna Maria Siebel
Laboratório de Neuroquímica e Psicofarmacologia, Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular, Programa de Pós Graduação em Biologia Celular e Molecular, Faculdade de Biociencias, Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Rio Grande do Sul, Avenida Ipiranga, 6681, 90619 900 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Brain Res Bull 86:385-9. 2011..In this study, we tested the effect of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures on ectonucleotidase and ADA activities in adult zebrafish brain...
- Modulation of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures and oxidative stress parameters by sodium valproate in the absence and presence of N-acetylcysteineP Uma Devi
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hamdard University, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, India
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 20:247-53. 2006..b>Pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures were used to evaluate the anticonvulsant effect of drugs...
- FK506 facilitates chemical kindling induced by pentylenetetrazole in ratsK Suzuki
Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 20-1 Handayama 1-chome, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 431-3192, Japan
Epilepsy Res 46:279-82. 2001..development, we examined the effects of pretreatment with FK506, a selective calcineurin inhibitor, on pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) kindling in rats...
- Pharmacological and behavioral characteristics of interactions between vigabatrin and conventional antiepileptic drugs in pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures in mice: an isobolographic analysisJarogniew J Luszczki
Department of Pathophysiology, Skubiszewski Medical University, Lublin, Poland
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:958-73. 2005..antiepileptic drugs (valproate (VPA), ethosuximide (ESM), phenobarbital (PB), and clonazepam (CZP)) in pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures in mice, the isobolographic analysis for three fixed-ratio combinations of 1 : 3, 1 : ..
- Antiepileptic activity of Panax ginseng against pentylenetetrazole induced kindling in ratsY K Gupta
Neuropharmacology Lab, Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi-110 029
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 45:502-6. 2001In the present study, Panax ginseng was evaluated for its antiepileptic activity against pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) induced chemical kindling in rats. PTZ was injected at the dose of 30 mg/kg, i.p...
- Development of a pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure model to evaluate kinase inhibitor efficacy in the central nervous systemLouise Morgan
Eisai London Research Laboratories Ltd, Bernard Katz Building, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Neurosci Lett 395:143-8. 2006..To that end, a pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure model was explored...
- Hyperthermic seizures enhance responsiveness to pentylenetetrazole and induce cognitive dysfunction: protective effect of 3-alkynyl selenopheneEthel Antunes Wilhelm
Laboratorio de Sintese, Reatividade e Avaliação Farmacológica e Toxicológica de Organocalcogênios, Centro de Ciencias Naturais e Exatas, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Brazil
Life Sci 90:666-72. 2012..the effect of pre-treatment with 3-alkynyl selenophene (3-ASP) against the increase in responsiveness to pentylenetetrazole [PTZ seizure threshold] and cognitive dysfunction induced by experimental febrile seizures (FS)...
- Effect of Anacyclus pyrethrum on pentylenetetrazole-induced kindling, spatial memory, oxidative stress and rho-kinase II expression in miceMonika Pahuja
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 110029, India
Neurochem Res 38:547-56. 2013..In the present study, the effect of hydro-alcoholic extract of A. pyrethrum root (HEAP) on pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) induced kindling, spatial memory, oxidative stress and rho kinase (ROCK II) was assessed...
- Effect of naproxen, a non-selective cyclo-oxygenase inhibitor, on pentylenetetrazol-induced kindling in miceAshish Dhir
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32:574-84. 2005..In the present study, kindling was induced in mice by chronic administration of a subconvulsive dose of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ; 40 mg/kg) on every other day for a period of 15 days...
- Delayed and blunted induction of mRNA for tissue plasminogen activator in the brain of old rats following pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure activityA Popa-Wagner
Department of Neurology, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat, Greifswald, Germany
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 55:B242-8. 2000..The intraperitoneal administration of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) to rats of various ages evoked tonic-clonic seizures...
- Levetiracetam in submaximal subcutaneous pentylentetrazol-induced seizures in ratsGiangennaro Coppola
Clinic of Child Neuropsychiatry, Second University of Naples, Via Pansini 5, Naples, Italy
Seizure 19:296-9. 2010..02). In conclusion, LEV plays a role against seizures triggered by subcutaneous PTZ injection given at submaximal doses in rats, as demonstrated by a significant increase in duration of the seizure type 2 (threshold seizure)...
- Involvement of nitric oxide-cGMP pathway in the anticonvulsant effects of lithium chloride on PTZ-induced seizure in miceArash Bahremand
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, P O Box 13145 784, Tehran, Iran
Epilepsy Res 89:295-302. 2010..mechanisms of action of lithium are not yet exactly understood, we used a model of clonic seizure induced by pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) in male NMRI mice to investigate whether the anticonvulsant effect of lithium is mediated via NO-cGMP ..
- Additive anticonvulsant effects of agmatine and lithium chloride on pentylenetetrazole-induced clonic seizure in mice: involvement of α₂-adrenoceptorArash Bahremand
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Iran
Eur J Pharmacol 666:93-9. 2011..1) to investigate whether agmatine and lithium show an additive effect against clonic seizures induced by pentylenetetrazole; 2) to assess whether this additive effect is mediated through the α(2)-adrenoceptor or not...
- Anti-epileptogenic effect of beta-carotene and vitamin A in pentylenetetrazole-kindling model of epilepsy in miceMohammad Sayyah
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Institute Pasteur of Iran, Pasteur Avenue, Tehran 13164, Iran
Epilepsy Res 63:11-6. 2005..the possible effect of Vit A and its precursor, beta-carotene on acute seizure and kindling, induced by pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) was assessed...
- [Pentylenetetrazole kindling induces caspase-3 activation in rat brain]T V Pavlova
Institute of Higher Nervous Activity, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova 53:110-2. 2003b>Pentylenetetrazole kindling (but not a single pentylenetetrazole injection) induced caspase-3 activation in the cerebral cortex, hippocampus, and cerebellum of rats as well as neurodegeneration in the hippocampus...
- The pentylenetetrazole-induced activity in the hippocampus can be inhibited by the conversion of L-kynurenine to kynurenic acid: an in vitro studyEva Rozsa
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Neuroscience, University of Szeged, POB 533, H 6701 Szeged, Hungary
Brain Res Bull 76:474-9. 2008..examine the conversion of L-kynurenine to kynurenic acid and to investigate the effects of kynurenic acid on pentylenetetrazole-treated rat brain slices, and in parallel to draw attention to the fact that a well-designed in vitro model ..
- Changes in the concentration of amino acids in the hippocampus of pentylenetetrazole-kindled ratsJanusz Szyndler
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Warsaw, 26 28 Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street, 00 927 Warsaw, Poland
Neurosci Lett 439:245-9. 2008..study, we have examined changes in the hippocampal steady state concentrations of amino acids involved in pentylenetetrazole-kindled and freely moving rats...
- Evaluation of the modulatory role of nimodipine in seizures induced by kainic acid and pentylenetetrazole in miceR Shitak
Department of Pharmacology, Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 29:11-7. 2007..CD50 and CD99 doses along with complete dose-response profile of two convulsants, namely, kainic acid and pentylenetetrazole (PTZ), in mice and evaluating the modulatory role of the cerebroselective dihydropyridine calcium channel ..
- Kindling status in sprague-dawley rats induced by pentylenetetrazole: involvement of a critical development periodHarald Schmoll
Department of Neurology, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Am J Pathol 162:1027-34. 2003..We show that highly efficient kindling can be achieved with only two subconvulsive doses of pentylenetetrazole so long as they are given 25 days apart...
- Effects of lipopolysaccharide on blood-brain barrier permeability during pentylenetetrazole-induced epileptic seizures in ratsNadir Arican
Department of Forensic Medicine, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Capa 34390, Istanbul, Turkey
Life Sci 79:1-7. 2006..of lipopolysachharide (LPS) on functional and structural properties of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) during pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced epileptic seizures in rats...
- Attenuating 5alpha-pregnane-3alpha-ol-20-one formation in the hippocampus of female rats increases pentylenetetrazole-induced seizuresMadeline E Rhodes
Department of Psychology, The University at Albany SUNY, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222, USA
Epilepsy Behav 6:140-6. 2005..These data suggest that formation of 3alpha,5alpha-THP in the hippocampus is important for progesterone's antiseizure effects...
- Protective effect of resveratrol against pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures and its modulation by an adenosinergic systemY K Gupta
Neuropharmacology Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Pharmacology 65:170-4. 2002..resveratrol), a polyphenolic compound with potent antioxidant activity, was investigated against pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) induced seizures in rats. Resveratrol (20, 40, and 80 mg/kg i.p...
- Amlodipine enhances the activity of antiepileptic drugs against pentylenetetrazole-induced seizuresR M Kaminski
Isotope Laboratory, Institute of Agricultural Medicine, Lublin, Poland
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 68:661-8. 2001..b>Pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced clonic and tonic convulsions in mice were significantly reduced by administration of AML at 10 ..
- Ultra-low dose cannabinoid antagonist AM251 enhances cannabinoid anticonvulsant effects in the pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure in miceShervin Gholizadeh
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences, University of Tehran, P O Box 13145 784, Tehran, Iran
Neuropharmacology 53:763-70. 2007..CB1 antagonist AM251 and a combination of ACEA and AM251 doses in a model of clonic seizure induced by pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)...
- Changes in AMPA receptor binding and subunit messenger RNA expression in hippocampus and cortex in the pentylenetetrazole-induced 'kindling' model of epilepsyA Ekonomou
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Patras, 265 00, Patras, Greece
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 95:27-35. 2001..and their subunits (GluR-A, -B, -C and -D) to the acquisition and maintenance of the kindled state in the pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced 'kindling' mouse model, by using quantitative autoradiography and in situ hybridization...
- A pentylenetetrazole-induced generalized seizure in early life enhances the efficacy of muscarinic receptor coupling to G-protein in hippocampus and neocortex of adult ratSoizic Potier
Ste Justine Hospital Research Centre and Department of Pediatrics, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 21:1828-36. 2005..in the CA3 area of hippocampal slices from adult rats in which a generalized seizure has been induced by pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) when immature (at 20 days)...
- Microdialysis Studies of Seizure-Induced Oxidative StressCraig E Lunte; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Novel Treatment Strategies for Targeting Posttraumatic EpilepsyHelen M Bramlett; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this series of studies, a subthreshold dose of the seizure-inducing agent pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) will be given at several post-traumatic time points to determine if injury severity- dependent changes ..
- QUANTITATIVE GENETIC STUDY OF SEIZURESThomas N Ferraro; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Suprachiasmatic Nucleus Output Pathway for Learning and MemoryH Craig Heller; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our studies show that systemic injections of the GABAA receptor antagonist, pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) completely restore object recognition and spatial memory in arrhythmic hamsters...
- AGE RELATED SEIZURE SUPPRESSIONSolomon L Moshe; Fiscal Year: 2011..acid or pilocarpine, intracranial microinfusions of GABAA agents and seizure testing using flurothyl or pentylenetetrazole, immunohistochemistry, qRT-PCR, in situ hybridization, in vivo and in vitro electrophysiological recordings...
- Translating innovative research discoveries to a potential therapeutic for Down SELIZABETH KEITH MESSERSMITH; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Goal: The long term goal is determine whether pentylenetetrazole (PTZ), a previously approved drug with over 30 years of human use, can be a safe and efficacious therapy for patients with DS...
- GABA(A) Receptor Complex In Alcohol DependenceRichard W Olsen; Fiscal Year: 2012..The amounts, locations, and functions of the GABA receptors are related to the behavioral changes seen in alcohol dependence such as hyperexcitability, increased anxiety, sleep disturbances, and seizure susceptibility. ..
- Anticonvulsant effects of novel concentric ring electrode electrical stimulationWALTER GRANT BESIO; Fiscal Year: 2010..on electrographic activity, behavioral manifestations, severity, latency to onset, and threshold of pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizures in rats...
- Characterization of a novel animal model of epilepsy, the Kv12.2 -/- mouseTimothy J Jegla; Fiscal Year: 2013..The research will provide valuable new insights into the control of neuronal firing and will provide a critical assessment of the value of Kv12.2 as a therapeutic target for antiepileptic drugs. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF BENZODIAZEPINE DEPENDENCEMICHAEL OGLESBY; Fiscal Year: 1991..In addition, this set of experiments may provide insight into brain areas involved in the modulation of anxiogenic/anxiolytic actions of drugs...
- ABUSE LIABILITY OF DRUG ADJUNCTS FOR COCAINE WITHDRAWLFrank Holloway; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- Complementary treatment approach to epilepsySiegward Elsas; Fiscal Year: 2009..At the end of the award period, Dr. Elsas will have completed a clinical trial of a botanical and will be well positioned to obtain independent research funding. ..
- LITHIUM POTENTIATED STATUS EPILEPTICUSRICHARD JOPE; Fiscal Year: 1990..lithium lowers the seizure threshold to other convulsive stimuli, including ECS, bicuculline, picrotoxin, pentylenetetrazole, kainic acid and chemical (carbachol) and electrical kindling...
- GLYCINE POTENTIATION OF ANTICONVULSANT DRUGSSteven Peterson; Fiscal Year: 1991..The results will also contribute to the understanding of the role of glycine in the mechanisms of convulsions and the neuropharmacology of anticonvulsant drugs, particularly in relation to GABA mechanisms in the substantia nigra...
- BEHAVIORAL PHARMACOLOGY OF ABUSED SOLVENTSRobert Balster; Fiscal Year: 1992..Overall, these studies will provide information on the abuse potential of inhalants and on the mechanisms for their behavioral effects...
- Neurotoxin interactions with ligand-gated ion channelsGLENN DILLON; Fiscal Year: 2004..for three neurotoxins: 1) picrotoxin, 2) the insecticide dieldrin, and 3) the widely used CNS convulsant pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)...
- ADENOSINE RECEPTOR MODULATION OF SEIZURE SUSCEPTIBILITYThomas Murray; Fiscal Year: 1990..A further understanding of the biochemical and neuroanatomical mechanisms responsible for the effects of adenosine analogs on seizure susceptibility may provide insight into one of the basic mechanisms of seizure disorders in man...
- MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR BASIS OF EPILEPTOGENESISSylvia Christakos; Fiscal Year: 1992..In addition, changes in CaM kinase II gene expression will also be examined in these structures after pentylenetetrazole induced seizures...
- TRACING SEIZURE PATHWAYS USING QUANTITATIVE EEGDavid Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF ETHANOL WITHDRAWALHarbans Lal; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- ANTIEPILEPTIC DRUG EFFECTS ON CA2+ AND GABA C1 CURRENTKevin Kelly; Fiscal Year: 1992..Emphasis will be placed on the characterization of expressed receptors' responses to benzodiazepines, barbiturates, and convulsant drugs and on the analysis of kinetic properties...
- CHRONIC BENZODIAZEPINES: BEHAVIOR AND NEUROCHEMISTRYDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005..post-infusion withdrawal period, the following outcomes are determined: computerized ambulatory activity; pentylenetetrazole seizure threshold; in vivo benzodiazepine receptor occupancy; in vitro receptor binding; GABA(A) receptor ..
- SEIZURE SUSCEPTIBILITY--NEUROGENETIC ANALYSISCRAIG APPLEGATE; Fiscal Year: 1993..This information will be of considerable value to our future approaches to defining seizure disorders and to our conceptualization of the epilepsies. ..
- EPILEPSY RESEARCH CENTERPETER KELLAWAY; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- THALAMIC REGULATION OF EXPERIMENTAL GENERALIZED SEIZURESJohn Miller; Fiscal Year: 1990....
- CONDITIONING MECHANISMS UNDERLYING ALCOHOL ABUSEDONALD OVERTON; Fiscal Year: 1990..The experiments are designed to elucidate the mechanisms which initiate and maintain the abuse of alcohol, and specifically the role of drugs as conditioned stimuli...
- Northeast Under/Grad Research Organization for NeuroscienceCheryl Frye; Fiscal Year: 2008..Both of these outcomes are congruous with the Public Health Service's mission to ensure that there is a resource of well-trained scientists and health-care providers in the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Evaluation of models of pharmacoresistant epilepsy.H White; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Validation of rat models for resistant epilepsy therapyWolfgang Loscher; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our goal is to establish standard assays that can be employed by researchers to continue the search for treatments of drug resistant epilepsy. ..
- CIRCADIAN RHYTHM ENTRAINMENTNORMAN RUBY; Fiscal Year: 2004..We chose to focus on melatonin because its effects on the circadian system of Siberian hamsters suggest a role for this hormone in entrainment. ..
- Neuroactive Steroid Therapy of Catamenial EpilepsyDOODIPALA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- KETOGENIC DIET AND BRAIN AMINO ACID METABOLISMMarc Yudkoff; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- PHARMACOGENOMIC STUDY OF ANTICONVULSANT THERAPYTHOMAS FERRARO; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Hilar Granule Cells & Synaptic Remodeling After SeizureJoseph Pierce; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of these studies will elucidate mechanisms underlying increased excitability in the DG, advancing our understanding of the pathophysiology of TLE. ..
- Excessive Alcohol Intake Induced By WithdrawalDeborah Finn; Fiscal Year: 2005..Not only will this information help in furthering our understanding of the interaction between ethanol intake and withdrawal, but it also would aid in the development of new strategies for the treatment of alcoholism. ..
- Measuring the Aversive Effects of Alcohol WithdrawalJULIA CHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Studies using this place conditioning technique are likely to provide important information that will lead to the development of novel behavioral and pharmacological treatments for alcoholism. ..
- Blood-brain barrier gene delivery in knock-out mice.EAIN CORNFORD; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- NEUROTERATOGENIC MECHANISM OF LCM VIRUS INFECTIONDaniel Bonthius; Fiscal Year: 2005..The importance of a-DG in influencing the tropism and infectivity of LCMV will be examined by blocking alpha-DG with an antibody prior to exposure of brain slices to LCMV. ..
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGICAL STUDY OF CA1 SYNAPTIC REORGANIZATIONJOSE CAVAZOS; Fiscal Year: 2003..Steven Mifflin as my new mentor owing to his extensive experience in brain slice neurophysiology. I will devote at least 75% of effort to research, and the remaining effort for clinical care in Epilepsy. ..
- VOLTAGE SENSITIVE CALCIUM CHANNELS IN BRAIN INJURYRobert Berman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Ethanol Withdrawal, Stress and Polyamine NeuroprotectionPatrick Mulholland; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- LONG TERM EFFECTS OF SEIZURES ON THE DEVELOPING BRAINGregory Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of this study should provide additional insights into our understanding of the long- term consequences of seizures on the developing brain. ..
- PET AND THE BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER IN HUMAN EPILEPSYEAIN CORNFORD; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- COCAINE INDUCED BEHAVIORAL SENSITIZATION AND SEIZURESMarc Abel; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is anticipated that these studies will provide important new information regarding mechanisms of sensitization and seizure initiation in cocaine abuse, which may suggest new approaches in intervention in cocaine toxicity. ..
- EEG Abnormalities and Cognitive ImpairmentGregory L Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition to learning much about the cognitive impairment in epilepsy, our studies will provide enormous insight into processes involved in normal encoding and consolidation of memory. ..
- GLUTAMATE RECEPTORS IN FLURAZEPAM-TOLERANT HIPPOCAMPUSBRADLEY VAN SICKLE; Fiscal Year: 2003..Tolerance occurs with many drugs of abuse, so a better understanding of EAAR regulation after chronic BZ may have broader implications in the area of drug abuse research. ..
- Seizure resistance in zebrafishSCOTT BARABAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results promise to provide new information about the genetics of seizure resistance and may lead to the design of novel anticonvulsant treatments designed to prevent epilepsy. ..
- Predictors of Seizure-Induced Memory ImpairmentGregory Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2007..Taken together these studies will provide insight into the mechanisms of seizure-induced cognitive dysfunction which will be critical as we attempt to develop novel therapeutic interventions. ..
- Rapid seizure-induced changes in dendritic spinesMichael Wong; Fiscal Year: 2007..The time course and effect of kainate and pentylenetetrazole-induced in vivo seizures on dendrites will be examined in fixed brain sections...
- Kv2.1 Channel Modulation of Ethanol WithdrawalPatrick Mulholland; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings from these studies may implicate a novel therapeutic target for possible drug design to treat the severity of alcohol withdrawal and, potentially, relapse. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MGE Progenitor Cell Grafts and EpilepsySCOTT BARABAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Viral vector-based RNAi therapy for Alexander DiseaseDaniel Bonthius; Fiscal Year: 2008..The disease is due to an abnormal gene. This research aims to develop a form of gene therapy to prevent and reverse the brain dysfunction of Alexander Disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A TOXIN BASED DROSOPHILA PARKINSON'S DISEASE MODELGeoffrey Stilwell; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Small Molecules for the Neuropeptide S Receptor SystemSCOTT RUNYON; Fiscal Year: 2008..This approach will provide small molecule probes of NPS receptor function and may ultimately lead to drug-like entities capable of treating anxiety, narcolepsy, asthma, obesity, or schizophrenia. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Effects of Neuroactive Steroids on Acute Ethanol Withdrawal in MiceKATHERINE GILILLAND; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetics of Seizure Resistance: A Mutagenesis StrategySCOTT BARABAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this unique collaboration promise to provide new insights into the genetic factors that influence epilepsy, and will, perhaps, lead to a cure for this devastating neurological disorder. ..