Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes of the transferase class that catalyze the conversion of L-aspartate and 2-ketoglutarate to oxaloacetate and L-glutamate. EC 220.127.116.11.
Publications275 found, 100 shown here
- The prevalence and etiology of elevated aminotransferase levels in the United StatesJeanne M Clark
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:960-7. 2003..Unexplained aminotransferase elevation was strongly associated with adiposity and other features of the metabolic syndrome, and thus may represent nonalcoholic fatty liver disease...
- Liver enzyme alteration: a guide for cliniciansEdoardo G Giannini
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
CMAJ 172:367-79. 2005....
- FIB-4: an inexpensive and accurate marker of fibrosis in HCV infection. comparison with liver biopsy and fibrotestAnais Vallet-Pichard
Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Hepatology 46:32-6. 2007..45 or >3.25 (kappa = 0.561, P < 0.01). A FIB-4 value <1.45 or >3.25 (64.6% of the cases) was concordant with FibroTest results in 92.1% and 76%, respectively...
- Liver enzymes, the metabolic syndrome, and incident diabetes: the Mexico City diabetes studyMonica Nannipieri
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa School of Medicine, Via Roma, 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Diabetes Care 28:1757-62. 2005..To test the hypothesis that enzymes conventionally associated with liver dysfunction (aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase, gamma-glutamyltransferase [GGT], and alkaline phosphatase) may predict diabetes...
- High alanine aminotransferase is associated with decreased hepatic insulin sensitivity and predicts the development of type 2 diabetesBarbora Vozarova
Clinical Diabetes and Nutrition Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes 51:1889-95. 2002..Our findings indicate that high ALT is a marker of risk for type 2 diabetes and suggest a potential role of the liver in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes...
- Liver enzymes and risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease: results of the Firenze Bagno a Ripoli (FIBAR) studyMatteo Monami
Geriatric Unit, Department of Critical Care and Surgery, University of Florence, Florence 50141, Italy
Metabolism 57:387-92. 2008..5-28.1]), but not diabetes. Elevated gamma-GT or AST is an independent predictor of CVD. An increase of gamma-GT levels above the reference range, or also in the upper reference range, is an independent predictor of incident diabetes...
- Serum alanine aminotransferase in skeletal muscle diseasesRahul A Nathwani
Division of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, Department of Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Hepatology 41:380-2. 2005..In conclusion, this difference in half-life accounts for the comparable AST and ALT levels in our cases with chronic muscle injury...
- Indirubin-3'-oxime prevents hepatic I/R damage by inhibiting GSK-3beta and mitochondrial permeability transitionAna T Varela
Center for Neurosciences and Cell Biology, Department of Zoology, University of Coimbra, 3004 517 Coimbra, Portugal
Mitochondrion 10:456-63. 2010..Pre-treatment with indirubin-3'-oxime in conditions of hepatic I/R, protects the liver by maintaining mitochondrial function and hepatic energetic balance...
- Resting and post-exercise serum biomarkers of cardiac and skeletal muscle damage in adolescent runnersJ Nie
School of Physical Education and Sports, Macao Polytechnic Institute, Macao, China
Scand J Med Sci Sports 21:625-9. 2011..In conclusion, a 21 km run in adolescent runners increased post-exercise biomarkers of cardiac and skeletal muscle damage...
- Correlation of liver biochemistry with liver stiffness in chronic hepatitis B and development of a predictive model for liver fibrosisJames Fung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, Hong Kong
Liver Int 28:1408-16. 2008..Abstract Aim: To correlate liver stiffness with demographical factors and routine liver biochemistry and to assess the predictive value of these as potential markers of fibrosis...
- Thyroid hormone preconditioning: protection against ischemia-reperfusion liver injury in the ratVirginia Fernandez
Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology Program, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Hepatology 45:170-7. 2007....
- Potential hepatoprotective effects of fullerenol C60(OH)24 in doxorubicin-induced hepatotoxicity in rats with mammary carcinomasRade Injac
Faculty of Pharmacy, The Chair of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Ljubljana, Askerceva 7, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Biomaterials 29:3451-60. 2008..We can conclude that fullerenol has cytotoxic effects on HepG2 by itself, but when the oxidative stress is too high the cytotoxic effects of fullerenol are overcome by its protective role as a strong antioxidant compound...
- Liver function abnormalities and outcome in patients with chronic heart failure: data from the Candesartan in Heart Failure: Assessment of Reduction in Mortality and Morbidity (CHARM) programLarry A Allen
Division of Cardiology, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA
Eur J Heart Fail 11:170-7. 2009..The prevalence and importance of liver function test (LFT) abnormalities in a large contemporary cohort of heart failure patients have not been systematically evaluated...
- Comparison of FIB-4 and APRI in Chinese HBV-infected patients with persistently normal ALT and mildly elevated ALTH Wang
Department of Infectious Diseases, Zhejiang People s Provincial Hospital, Zhejiang, China
J Viral Hepat 20:e3-10. 2013..93. Both FIB-4 and APRI are useful for identification of those without significant fibrosis. However, because they have poor PPV, LB will continue to be used for assessment of HBV-infected patients with normal ALT and mildly elevated ALT...
- Development and validation of a simple index system to predict nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseYoung Jin Park
Department of Family Medicine, Busan Medical Center, Busan, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 17:19-26. 2011..The aims of this study were to establish a predictive model for the selection of subjects for abdominal ultrasonography for the diagnosis of NAFLD and to assess validity of the model...
- Prospective comparison of transient elastography, Fibrotest, APRI, and liver biopsy for the assessment of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CLaurent Castera
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Hopital Haut Leveque, C H U Bordeaux, Pessac, France
Gastroenterology 128:343-50. 2005....
- Ondansetron attenuates hepatic injury via p38 MAPK-dependent pathway in a rat haemorrhagic shock modelFu Chao Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Resuscitation 82:335-40. 2011..In this study, we hypothesized that ondansetron administration in male rats, after haemorrhagic shock, decreases cytokine production and protects against hepatic injury through a p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway...
- Comparison and validation of simple noninvasive tests for prediction of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CCarolin Lackner
Department of Pathology, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
Hepatology 41:1376-82. 2005..In conclusion, simple fibrosis tests may render liver biopsy unnecessary only in a minority of patients with chronic HCV. Improved serum fibrosis markers with greater sensitivity for severe fibrosis or cirrhosis are needed...
- Simple non-invasive fibrosis scoring systems can reliably exclude advanced fibrosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseStuart McPherson
Liver Unit, Level 6, Freeman Hospital, Freeman Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Gut 59:1265-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to compare the diagnostic performance of simple non-invasive tests in identifying advanced fibrosis among patients with biopsy-proven NAFLD...
- Serum miR-122 as a biomarker of necroinflammation in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infectionVerena Bihrer
Department of Medicine I, University of Frankfurt M, Frankfurt, Germany
Am J Gastroenterol 106:1663-9. 2011..Here, we investigated if the serum levels of miR-122 might be useful as disease parameter in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection...
- High AST/ALT ratio may indicate advanced alcoholic liver disease rather than heavy drinkingH Nyblom
The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Alcohol Alcohol 39:336-9. 2004..To assess the place of AST/ALT ratio (the ratio of serum aspartate aminotransferase to serum alanine aminotransferase) as a diagnostic marker in medical populations...
- Role of Akt-dependent up-regulation of hemeoxygenase-1 in resveratrol-mediated attenuation of hepatic injury after trauma hemorrhageHuang Ping Yu
Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Surgery 148:103-9. 2010..The aim of this study is to elucidate whether Akt/HO-1 plays any role in resveratrol-mediated attenuation of hepatic injury after trauma hemorrhage...
- Use of AST platelet ratio index (APRI Score) as an alternative to liver biopsy for treatment indication in chronic hepatitis CMônica Salum Valverde Borsoi Viana
Hospital do Servidor Público Estadual Francisco Morato de Oliveira, Campo Belo CEP 04618 020 Sâo Paulo SP Brasil
Ann Hepatol 8:26-31. 2009....
- The role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in liver toxicity, inflammation, and fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachlorideP P Simeonova
Toxicology and Molecular Biology Branch, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1095 Willowdale Road, Morgantown, West Virginia 26505, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 177:112-20. 2001..Taken together, these results indicate that TNFalpha is responsible for regulating products that induce inflammation and fibrosis but not direct hepatocyte damage in CCl(4)-induced hepatotoxicity...
- The 148M allele of the PNPLA3 gene is associated with indices of liver damage early in lifeStefano Romeo
Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
J Hepatol 53:335-8. 2010..In this study we add further insight into the role of PNPLA3 by exploring whether this association begins early in life in obese children or becomes manifest only in adulthood...
- Blood chemistry measurements and D-Dimer levels associated with fatal and nonfatal outcomes in humans infected with Sudan Ebola virusPierre E Rollin
Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 196:S364-71. 2007..This study has identified levels of analytes with prognostic value, which can also be used to target therapeutic interventions, and expands on the findings of prior blood tests conducted on this group of patients...
- Delayed ischemic preconditioning protects against liver ischemia-reperfusion injury in vivoP Romanque
Universidad de Chile, Facultad de Medicina, Santiago, Chile
Transplant Proc 42:1569-75. 2010..Ischemic preconditioning (IP) affords resistance to liver ischemia-reperfusion (IR) injury, providing an early phase of protection. Development of delayed IP against IR injury was assessed using partial IR in rat liver...
- Serial metabolic measurements and conversion to type 2 diabetes in the west of Scotland coronary prevention study: specific elevations in alanine aminotransferase and triglycerides suggest hepatic fat accumulation as a potential contributing factorNaveed Sattar
Department of Vascular Biochemistry, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
Diabetes 56:984-91. 2007....
- Comparative toxicity evaluation of cyanobacterial cyclic peptide toxin microcystin variants (LR, RR, YR) in miceNidhi Gupta
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Defence Research and Development Establishment, Jhansi Road, 474002, Gwalior, India
Toxicology 188:285-96. 2003..Based on biochemical and histological studies, MC-LR was found to be the most potent toxin followed by MC-YR and MC-RR...
- Coffee, cirrhosis, and transaminase enzymesArthur L Klatsky
Division of Research, Department of Medicine, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, Oakland, Calif 94611, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:1190-5. 2006..A minority of persons at risk develop liver cirrhosis, but knowledge of risk modulators is sparse. Several reports suggest that coffee drinking is associated with lower cirrhosis risk...
- Acute viral hepatitis increases liver stiffness values measured by transient elastographyUmberto Arena
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Università degli Studi di Firenze Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi Firenze, Italy
Hepatology 47:380-4. 2008..LSM does not represent a reliable instrument to detect the presence of advanced fibrosis and cirrhosis in patients presenting with a clinical picture of acute hepatitis...
- Increase in the prevalence of fatty liver in Japan over the past 12 years: analysis of clinical backgroundSei ichiro Kojima
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Tokai University School of Medicine, 259 1193, Isehara, Bohseidai, Japan
J Gastroenterol 38:954-61. 2003..The aim of this investigation was to elucidate the time-course of changes in the prevalence of fatty liver, and to analyze its clinical backgrounds over the previous 12-year period...
- Pretransplant screening and evaluation of liver graft viability using machine perfusion preservation in porcine transplantationH Obara
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Tokyo, Japan
Transplant Proc 44:959-61. 2012..These findings corresponded to the cumulative release of enzymes. The findings of our study suggest that monitoring of the pressure drop rate in the hepatic artery during machine perfusion can be used to evaluate liver graft viability...
- Reduction of liver ischemia-reperfusion injury via glutamine pretreatmentRita Stangl
1 st Department of Surgery, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Surg Res 166:95-103. 2011..Much research work has been done to develop possible protective techniques. We aimed to investigate the effectivity of L-alanyl-L-glutamine dipeptide pretreatment in an animal model of hepatic I-R injury...
- Proteomic analysis of interactions between a deep-sea thermophilic bacteriophage and its host at high temperatureDahai Wei
Key Laboratory of Marine Biogenetic Resources, Third Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, Xiamen, People s Republic of China
J Virol 84:2365-73. 2010..E263. The results showed that the AST protein was essential in virus infection. Thus, transcriptional and proteomic analyses and functional analysis revealed previously unknown host responses to deep-sea thermophilic virus infection...
- The molecular mechanisms of the hepatoprotective effect of gomisin A against oxidative stress and inflammatory response in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced acute liver injuryRyutaro Teraoka
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Musashino University, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 35:171-7. 2012..These results suggest that gomisin A inhibits the oxidative stress and activation of NF-κB, leading to down-regulation of pro-inflammatory mediators and amelioration of fibrogenesis...
- Genetic variation in PNPLA3 but not APOC3 influences liver fat in non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseJenni Hyysalo
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 27:951-6. 2012..Our aim was to determine the contribution of genetic variation in APOC3 on liver fat content and plasma triglyceride and apoC3 concentrations in a larger European cohort...
- Real-time tissue elastography versus FibroScan for noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis in chronic liver diseaseM Friedrich-Rust
Department of Internal Medicine 1, J W Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Ultraschall Med 30:478-84. 2009..The aim of the present study was to validate real-time elastography using the formulas calculated in previous studies and to compare the results to transient elastography and FibroTest for the noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis...
- Beneficial effects of gaseous hydrogen sulfide in hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injuryEelke M Bos
Department of Pathology and Medical Biology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Transpl Int 25:897-908. 2012..Gaseous H2 S is therefore a very promising treatment for reducing IRI during hepatic transplantation...
- Over-expression of aspartate aminotransferase genes in rice resulted in altered nitrogen metabolism and increased amino acid content in seedsYing Zhou
National Center of Plant Gene Research, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China
Theor Appl Genet 118:1381-90. 2009..No significant changes were found in leaf AAT activity, seed amino acid content or protein content in OsAAT3 over-expressed plants. The expression patterns of the three OsAAT genes and their different functions are also discussed...
- Mechanism of salutary effects of astringinin on rodent hepatic injury following trauma-hemorrhage: Akt-dependent hemeoxygenase-1 signaling pathwaysFu Chao Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 6:e25907. 2011..These findings collectively suggest that the salutary effects of astringinin administration on attenuation of hepatic injury after trauma-hemorrhage are likely mediated via Akt dependent HO-1 up-regulation...
- Real time elastography for noninvasive diagnosis of liver fibrosisMami Kanamoto
Department of Surgery, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School of Medicine, 3 18 15 Kuramoto, Tokushima, 770 8503, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 16:463-7. 2009..This study aimed to evaluate the usefulness of real-time tissue elastography for the preoperative assessment of liver fibrosis stage...
- Liver function test results and outcomes in children with acute liver failure due to dengue infectionVoranush Chongsrisawat
Center of Excellence in Clinical Virology, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University and Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 40:47-53. 2009..There were no significant differences in the duration of jaundice before the onset of encephalopathy and liver function between dengue patients who died and those who survived...
- Evaluation of seven noninvasive models in staging liver fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infectionJing Ma
Department of Hepatitis Diseases, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410011, People s Republic of China
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:428-34. 2013..In this study, we evaluated the ability of seven noninvasive models in staging liver fibrosis in a large cohort of CHB...
- Osthole attenuates hepatic injury in a rodent model of trauma-hemorrhageHuang Ping Yu
Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 8:e65916. 2013..These results suggest that the protective effect of osthole administration on alleviation of hepatic injury after trauma-hemorrhage, which is, at least in part, through p38 MAPK-dependent pathway...
- Hepatoprotective effects of apple polyphenols on CCl4-induced acute liver damage in miceJingyu Yang
Department of Pharmacology, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 103 Wenhua Road, Shenyang 110016, China
J Agric Food Chem 58:6525-31. 2010....
- AST-platelet ratio index in the prediction of significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in patients with chronic hepatitis BFatih Güzelbulut
Haydarpafla Numune Education and Research Hospital, Department of Gastroenterology, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 23:353-8. 2012..We aimed to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of AST-platelet ratio index in the prediction of significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis B patients by comparison with liver biopsy...
- Relation of coffee consumption and serum liver enzymes in Japanese men and women with reference to effect modification of alcohol use and body mass indexMizuko Ikeda
Department of Preventive Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 70:171-9. 2010..We examined the association of coffee and green tea consumption with serum activities of liver enzymes in free-living Japanese men and women, focusing on sex difference and effect modifications of alcohol and obesity...
- Hepatoprotective activity of Amaranthus spinosus in experimental animalsHussain Zeashan
Pharmacognosy and Ethnopharmacology Division, National Botanical Research Institute Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Rana Pratap Marg, Post Box No 436, Lucknow 226 001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3417-21. 2008..This study suggests that possible mechanism of this activity may be due to the presence of flavonoids and phenolics compound in the ASE which may be responsible to hepatoprotective activity...
- Prevalence and long-term course of macro-aspartate aminotransferase in childrenMaria Caropreso
Department of Pediatrics, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Pediatr 154:744-8. 2009..To investigate the prevalence, association with clinical conditions, and long-term course of macro-aspartate aminotransferase (macro-AST)...
- Moringa oleifera Lam prevents acetaminophen induced liver injury through restoration of glutathione levelS Fakurazi
Pharmacology Unit, Department of Human Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Food Chem Toxicol 46:2611-5. 2008..The histological hepatocellular deterioration was also evidenced. The results from the present study suggested that the leaves of MO can prevent hepatic injuries from APAP induced through preventing the decline of glutathione level...
- Neutral sphingomyelinase-induced ceramide accumulation by oxidative stress during carbon tetrachloride intoxicationIkuyo Ichi
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Nara Women s University, Nara 630 8506, Japan
Toxicology 261:33-40. 2009..These results suggested that the excess accumulation of ceramide causes damage in other organs including the kidney and brain during fulminant hepatic failure...
- Hepatoprotective effect of curcumin in lipopolysaccharide/-galactosamine model of liver injury in rats: relationship to HO-1/CO antioxidant systemDalibor Cerný
Institute of Pharmacology, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
Fitoterapia 82:786-91. 2011..4-fold, p=0.001), but reduced NOS-2 (4.1-fold, p=0.01) expressions. In conclusion, the tuning of CO/NO pathways is important in shedding light on curcumin's cytoprotective effects in this model...
- Study of the hepatotoxicity induced by Dioscorea bulbifera L. rhizome in miceJunming Wang
The MOE Key Laboratory for Standardization of Chinese Medicines and The SATCM Key Laboratory for New Resources and Quality Evaluation of Chinese Medicines, Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai, China
Biosci Trends 4:79-85. 2010..bulbifera rhizome. Taken together, our results indicate that the EF contains the main toxic ingredients of D. bulbifera rhizome, and the mechanism of hepatotoxicity induced by it may be due to liver oxidative stress injury in mice...
- Protection of centrilobular necrosis by Curcuma comosa Roxb. in carbon tetrachloride-induced mice liver injuryJittima Weerachayaphorn
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rachatewee, Bangkok, Thailand
J Ethnopharmacol 129:254-60. 2010..To investigate the protective effect and possible mechanism of Curcuma comosa hexane extract on CCl(4)-induced liver injury in adult male mice...
- Ischemic preconditioning attenuates morphological and biochemical changes in hepatic ischemia/reperfusion in ratsLi Ming Jin
Key Laboratory of Combined Multiorgan Transplantation, Ministry of Public Health, Division of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China
Pathobiology 77:136-46. 2010..We aimed to evaluate whether the reduction of apoptotic sinusoidal endothelial cells (SECs), induced by IPC, contributes to its protective effect...
- Protective effect of selenium-enriched Lactobacillus on CCl4-induced liver injury in mice and its possible mechanismsLong Chen
College of Life Sciences, Nanjing Normal University, Nanjing 210097, Jiangsu Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:5795-800. 2005..To study the protective effects and mechanisms of Se-enriched lactobacillus on liver injury caused by carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) in mice...
- Role of AST to platelet ratio index in the detection of liver fibrosis in patients with recurrent hepatitis C after liver transplantationPierluigi Toniutto
DPMSC, Medical Liver Transplant Unit, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1904-8. 2007..No data are available in the literature on the usefulness of non-invasive liver fibrosis tests in liver transplanted patients with recurrent HCV infection...
- Assessment of liver fibrosis progression in patients with chronic hepatitis C and normal alanine aminotransferase values: the role of AST to the platelet ratio indexCarlo Fabris
DPMSC Medical Liver Transplantation Unit, University of Udine, Italy
Clin Biochem 39:339-43. 2006..To verify the value of indirect serum markers in the non-invasive assessment of liver fibrosis in patients with persistently normal or near normal alanine aminotransferases levels (NALT)...
- Diagnostic accuracy of the aspartate aminotransferase-to-platelet ratio index for the prediction of hepatitis C-related fibrosis: a systematic reviewAbdel Aziz M Shaheen
Liver Unit, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hepatology 46:912-21. 2007..Future studies of novel markers should demonstrate improved accuracy and cost-effectiveness compared with this economical and widely available index...
- A simple noninvasive index (APRI) predicts advanced liver fibrosis in children with chronic hepatitis BDariusz M Lebensztejn
Hepatology 41:1434-5. 2005
- Evaluation of diagnostic accuracy of APRI for prediction of fibrosis in hepatitis C patientsDilshad Ahmad Khan
Department of Pathology, Army Medical College, National University of Sciences and Technology, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 20:122-6. 2008..We evaluated Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) to platelet ratio index (APRI) in comparison with Metavir scoring for assessing the severity of hepatic fibrosis in the CHC patients in district Rawalpindi...
- Noninvasive serum markers in the diagnosis of structural liver damage in chronic hepatitis C virus infectionEdison R Parise
Department of Gastroenterology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Liver Int 26:1095-9. 2006....
- Aspartate aminotransferase-to-platelet ratio index for fibrosis and cirrhosis prediction in chronic hepatitis C patientsRoberto Gomes da Silva Jr
Federal University of Sergipe, Federal University of Sergipe, Sao Cristovao, SE, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 12:15-9. 2008..APRI could identify significant fibrosis and cirrhosis at a high degree of accuracy in studied patients...
- Novel role for amphiregulin in protection from liver injuryCarmen Berasain
Division of Hepatology and Gene Therapy, Centro de Investigación Médica Aplicada, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Navarra, Pio XII, 55, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
J Biol Chem 280:19012-20. 2005..These results show that amphiregulin is a protective factor induced in response to liver damage and that it may be therapeutic in liver diseases...
- Comparison of noninvasive markers of fibrosis in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseAmy G Shah
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:1104-12. 2009..We compared the performance of the FIB4 index (based on age, aspartate aminotransferase [AST] and alanine aminotransferase [ALT] levels, and platelet counts) with 6 other non-invasive markers of fibrosis in patients with NAFLD...
- Metabolic investigations in patients with hepatitis B and CAbdul Aziz Mastoi
Institute of Chemistry, University of Sind, Jamshoro 75000, Pakistan
World J Gastroenterol 16:603-7. 2010..To investigate the similarities and dissimilarities in patients with hepatitis B and hepatitis C, clinically and metabolically...
- Early detection in routine clinical practice of cirrhosis and oesophageal varices in chronic hepatitis C: comparison of transient elastography (FibroScan) with standard laboratory tests and non-invasive scoresLaurent Castera
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Hopital Haut Leveque, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU de Bordeaux, Pessac, France
J Hepatol 50:59-68. 2009....
- Prevalence and etiology of abnormal liver tests in an adult population in Jilin, ChinaHong Zhang
Department of Hepatology, First Hospital, Jilin University, Changchun 130021, China
Int J Med Sci 8:254-62. 2011..We determined the prevalence and etiologies of abnormal LTs in an adult population in Jilin, China...
- Role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in the development of spontaneous hepatic toxicity in Long-Evans Cinnamon ratsRodolfo Niño Fong
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C1
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 200:121-30. 2004..Thus, these results suggest a major role for TNF-alpha on the pathogenesis of Cu-induced acute hepatitis in LEC rats...
- The effects of NMDA receptor antagonists over intestinal ischemia/reperfusion injury in ratsCarlos Rodrigo Cámara-Lemarroy
Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Medicina, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Eur J Pharmacol 621:78-85. 2009..In conclusion, ketamine's protective effects over ischemia/reperfusion do not appear to be NMDA mediated, but they could be playing a role in protecting the intestine against ischemia-induced functional changes...
- Mildly elevated liver transaminase levels in the asymptomatic patientPaul T Giboney
Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am Fam Physician 71:1105-10. 2005..If elevations persist after an appropriate period of observation, further testing may include ultrasonography and other serum studies. In some cases, biopsy may be indicated...
- Hematology and serum biochemistry of Holstein dairy calves: age related changes and comparison with blood composition in adultsM Mohri
Department of Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Res Vet Sci 83:30-9. 2007....
- CDT, GGT, and AST as markers of alcohol use: the WHO/ISBRA collaborative projectKatherine M Conigrave
Drug and Alcohol Department, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, NSW 2050, Sydney, Australia
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:332-9. 2002..The WHO/ISBRA Collaborative Study allows assessment and comparison of CDT, GGT, and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) as markers of drinking in a large, well-characterized, multicenter sample...
- The potential protective role of alpha-lipoic acid against acetaminophen-induced hepatic and renal damageAhmed O Abdel-Zaher
Department of Pharmacolog, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
Toxicology 243:261-70. 2008..These results provide evidence that inhibition of NO overproduction and maintenance of intracellular antioxidant status may play a pivotal role in the protective effects of alpha-LA against APAP-induced hepatic and renal damage...
- Novel CXCR2-dependent liver regenerative qualities of ELR-containing CXC chemokinesC M Hogaboam
Department of Pathology, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0602, USA
FASEB J 13:1565-74. 1999..These observations demonstrate that ELR-CXC chemokines represent novel hepatic regenerative factors that exhibit prolonged therapeutic effects after acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Liver damage underlying unexplained transaminase elevation in human immunodeficiency virus-1 mono-infected patients on antiretroviral therapyPatrick Ingiliz
Hepatology Department, AP HP, GH Pitié Salpétrière, Paris, France
Hepatology 49:436-42. 2009..The presence of NASH was correlated with high fasting glycemia and insulin levels, not with liver mitochondrial function or mitochondrial DNA content...
- Vitamin C protects against in vitro cytotoxicity of cypermethrin in rat hepatocytesPatricia Grajeda-Cota
Research Center for Food and Development CIAD, Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
Toxicol In Vitro 18:13-9. 2004..These results suggest that AA in a 1:33 (CM:AA) ratio can modulate up to 90% of the damage caused to the cells by CM. It also demonstrates that AA can act as a primary antioxidant and hepatoprotector in rat hepatocytes...
- Hepatoprotective effects of rubiadin, a major constituent of Rubia cordifolia LinnGuntupalli M Mohana Rao
Pharmacognosy and Ethnopharmacology Division, National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow 226 001, Uttarpradesh, India
J Ethnopharmacol 103:484-90. 2006..The results of this study strongly indicate that rubiadin has a potent hepatoprotective action against carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic damage in rats...
- The association between non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and insulin resistance in 20 obese children and adolescentsIris Ciba
Division of Nutrition and Metabolism, Department of Paediatrics, Vienna Medical University, Wien, Austria
Acta Paediatr 96:109-12. 2007..For the first time, we present clinical data of 20 obese children with NAFLD, including an oral glucose tolerance test...
- Use of simple laboratory features to distinguish the early stage of severe acute respiratory syndrome from dengue feverAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Clin Infect Dis 39:1818-23. 2004..Misdiagnosis may have serious public health consequences. We aimed to determine simple laboratory features to differentiate SARS from dengue...
- Prolonged treatment with N-acetylcystine delays liver recovery from acetaminophen hepatotoxicityRunkuan Yang
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical School, 3550 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Crit Care 13:R55. 2009..Therefore, we hypothesize that prolonged treatment with NAC impairs liver regeneration in ALI induced by APAP...
- Molecular and physiological analysis of Arabidopsis mutants defective in cytosolic or chloroplastic aspartate aminotransferaseBarbara H Miesak
Department of Biology, 100 Washington Square East, New York University, New York, NY 10003, USA
Plant Physiol 129:650-60. 2002..As such, the cytosolic AAT2 isoenzyme appears to serve a nonredundant function in plant nitrogen metabolism of Asp and Asp-derived amino acids...
- Validity and clinical utility of the aspartate aminotransferase-alanine aminotransferase ratio in assessing disease severity and prognosis in patients with hepatitis C virus-related chronic liver diseaseEdoardo Giannini
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Viale Benedetto XV, No 6, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Arch Intern Med 163:218-24. 2003..We previously demonstrated that progressive liver functional impairment is associated with an increase in the AST/ALT ratio...
- Effect of human stem cells labeled with ferumoxides-poly-L-lysine on hematologic and biochemical measurements in ratsGene T Yocum
Experimental Neuroimaging Section, Laboratory of Diagnostic Radiology Research, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Radiology 235:547-52. 2005....
- Targeted disruption of metallothionein I and II genes increases sensitivity to cadmiumB A Masters
Laboratory of Reproductive Physiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:584-8. 1994..This proves that these widely expressed MTs are not essential for development but that they do protect against cadmium toxicity. These mice provide a means for testing other proposed functions of MT in vivo...
- Morbid obesity exposes the association between PNPLA3 I148M (rs738409) and indices of hepatic injury in individuals of European descentS Romeo
Institute of Metabolic Science, Addenbrooke s Hospital, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Int J Obes (Lond) 34:190-4. 2010..Intriguingly, initial findings in cohorts with a mean body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg m(-2) also suggested that it is associated with elevated liver enzymes but not with insulin resistance and dyslipidaemia...
- [Value of transient elastography in noninvasive assessment in children's hepatic fibrosis]E Breton
Unité des nourrissons et explorations fonctionnelles digestives, pôle médicochirurgical de pédiatrie et de génétique clinique, CHU de Rennes, 16, boulevard de Bulgarie, BP 90347, 35203 Rennes Cedex 2, France
Arch Pediatr 16:1005-10. 2009..This study aimed to determine the feasibility and reliability of liver stiffness measurement in children with liver diseases...
- APRI: an easy and validated predictor of hepatic fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CNed Snyder
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:535-42. 2006..To evaluate the aspartate aminotransferase/platelet ratio index (APRI) as a predictor of the presence or absence of significant fibrosis on liver biopsy of patients with chronic hepatitis C (HCV)...
- The role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1beta in ischemia-reperfusion injury of the rat small intestineS Yamamoto
Department of Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinanomachi 35, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8582, Japan
J Surg Res 99:134-41. 2001..05). CONCLUSIONS: Dual inhibition of TNF and IL-1 effectively alleviated intestinal I-R injury, suggesting the key role of TNF and IL-1 in this pathophysiology...
- Oxidative stress and thyroid hormones in patients with liver diseasesAbdel Halim A Moustafa
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, Egypt
Eur J Intern Med 20:703-8. 2009..The objective of this study was to investigate serum levels of oxidative stress and antioxidant in liver diseases as prognostic markers and know the importance of these antioxidants level in relation to thyroid hormones...
- Open-labeled pilot study of cysteine-rich whey protein isolate supplementation for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis patientsTaned Chitapanarux
Division of Gastrohepatology, Department of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Thailand
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1045-50. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of oral supplementation with whey protein on patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)...
- Prediction of oesophageal varices in hepatic cirrhosis by simple serum non-invasive markers: Results of a multicenter, large-scale studyGiada Sebastiani
Department of Digestive Diseases, Hepatology and Clinical Nutrition, Dell Angelo Hospital, Venice, Italy
J Hepatol 53:630-8. 2010..Preliminary data suggest that non-invasive methods could be useful to assess presence of oesophageal varices (OV) in cirrhotic patients. We aimed to further investigate simple serum non-invasive markers for diagnosing and grading OV...
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in an area of southern Italy: main clinical, histological, and pathophysiological aspectsC Loguercio
Gastroenterology School, Faculty of Medicine, 2nd University of Naples, Via Foria, 58, 80137 Naples, Italy
J Hepatol 35:568-74. 2001..Our investigation was held to observe the main clinical, histological, and pathophysiological aspects of NAFLD in patients not exposed to any known cause of chronic liver disease...
- Propolis prevents aluminium-induced genetic and hepatic damages in rat liverHasan Turkez
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Ataturk University, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Food Chem Toxicol 48:2741-6. 2010..Moreover, simultaneous treatments with propolis significantly modulated the toxic effects of AlCl(3). It can be concluded that propolis has beneficial influences and could be able to antagonize AlCl(3) toxicity...
- Aspartate aminotransferase to platelet ratio index (APRI) can predict liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis BW G Shin
Department of Internal Medicine, Hallym University Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Dig Liver Dis 40:267-74. 2008..There have been still few valuable markers that can be used as indirect markers of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B...
- Oral administration of diphenyl diselenide protects against cadmium-induced liver damage in ratsLysandro Pinto Borges
Departamento de Quimica, Centro de Ciencias Naturais e Exatas, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria CEP 97105 900, RS, Brazil
Chem Biol Interact 171:15-25. 2008..The proposed mechanisms by which (PhSe)(2) acts in this experimental protocol are its antioxidant properties and its capacity to form a complex with cadmium...
- Gamma glutamyltranspeptidase activity and viral hepatitis in dialysis populationF Fabrizi
Division of Nephrology and Dialysis, Maggiore Hospital, IRCCS, Milan, Italy, and Division of Liver Diseases, Mount Sinai Medical School, New York City, NY, USA
Int J Artif Organs 30:6-15. 2007..However, scarce information exists on the activity of gamma glutamyltranspeptidase (GGTP) in dialysis patients with infection by hepatotropic viruses...
- Hepatoprotective effect of Curcuma longa L. in D-galactosamine induced liver injury in mice: evidence of antioxidant activityO A Adaramoye
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Unit, Department of Biochemistry, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 39:27-34. 2010..p.). Integrity of liver from the animals was assessed by determining the levels of serum alanine and aspartate aminotransferases (ALT and AST) and alkaline phosphatase (ALP)...
- Ringer's lactate improves liver recovery in a murine model of acetaminophen toxicityRunkuan Yang
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical School, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 11:125. 2011..Therefore, we tested whether RLS therapy improves liver recovery after APAP overdose...
- Hepatoprotective activity of Clerodendrum inerme against CCl4 induced hepatic injury in ratsN Gopal
Balaji Institute of PharmaceuticalSciences, Laknaepally, Narsampet, Warnagal 561 331, Andhra Pradesh, India
Fitoterapia 79:24-6. 2008..Silymarin (25 mg/kg), a known hepatoprotective drug used for comparison exhibited significant activity (P<0.001). The extract did not shown any mortality up to a dose of 2000 g/kg bw...
- NOVEL THERAPIES FOR ACETAMINOPHEN TOXICITYLaura James; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluation of a Biomarker for Acetaminophen ToxicityLaura James; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data generated from this study will lead to enhanced recognition of APAP hepatotoxicity, thus allowing for better identification of "at risk" populations and the creation of prevention strategies. ..
- Breast Cancer Prevention and Treatment with Noni juiceMian Ying Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..The latency, multiplicity, volume of tumors, and the survivor rate of animals at the end of experiment will be evaluated in different groups. ..
- Alcohol Dependence in General Medical SettingsScott Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- FURANOCOUMARINS AND DRUGS EFFECT ON CYP3A4Paul Watkins; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of HLA and KIR genotype on HIV and HCVHoward Strickler; Fiscal Year: 2006..WlHS is a large, racially and geographically diverse cohort of HIV(+) (n=2761 with - 40% HCV(+)), and HIV(-) women who share similar risk factors (n=942 with - 25%HCV(+)). ..
- THE ROLE OF PLACENTAL LACTOGEN IN FETAL DEVELOPMENTMichael Freemark; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of our studies should provide new insist into the roles of pituitary and placental hormones in adipose development and function. ..
- Quality of Life in patients with severe Cystic FibrosisChristopher Goss; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Racial Disparities in Diabetes in the US and the UKArch Mainous; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Proteomics and Biomarkers for Hepatocellular CancerNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies may lead to identification of more specific and sensitive biomarkers for HCC in HCV which can then be validated further in prospective clinical trials. ..
- Role of SLc11a1 Gen in Warm Ischemia-Reperfusion InjurySamuel Wyllie; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will identify molecular mechanisms by which Slc11a1 modulates liver I/R injury, and will provide a novel target for therapeutic intervention in I/R-mediated organ injury. ..
- REACTION SPECIFICITY OF PYRIDOXAL PHOSPHATE ENZYMESMICHAEL TONEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PROGESTOGENS VS PHYTOESTROGENS-- AN ADJUNCT TO ERTJames Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Insulin-like growth factor axis influence on HIV and HPV pathogenesis in womenHoward Strickler; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Environmental Effects on Lung Function in Cystic Fibrosis PatientsChristopher Goss; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our proposal will also enhance our understanding of lung growth in CF and represents the initial phase of a program to understand environmental effects on CF lung disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alcoholism risk and protective factors in TrinidadCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2006..Study findings can be compared to similar studies being conducted in the US. We believe these studies will allow for the identification of risk and protective factors for alcoholism in these islands. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dysbiosis in Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseEce Mutlu; Fiscal Year: 2008..ALH may enable a real-time survey of microfloral changes for the first time in medicine and may provide the first evidence linking IBD with specific microbial patterns. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Relationship of metabolic abnormalities to hepatic steatosis in HIVRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2008..If our hypothesis is correct, this work could result in a dramatic change in the long-term care of the over 1 million HIV infected individuals in the US. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Enigma of Placebo Adherence and Health OutcomesAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this investigation will shed important light on powerful biomedical and non-biomedical determinants of health outcomes that, at present, are insufficiently documented and poorly understood. ..
- U.T. SOUTHWESTERN ADULT AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS UNITMamta Jain; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular mechanisms of pancreatic fibrogenesisBrent Neuschwander Tetri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accomplishing these aims will fill significant gaps in the understanding of chronic pancreatitis and this new knowledge may help identify effective treatment approaches to this disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISM OF GLUTATHIONE CONJUGATE DEPENDENT TOXICITYArthur Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ENDOTHELIAL PROGENITOR CELLS FOR ENGINEERING VESSELSJames Williams; Fiscal Year: 2008..As such, these studies are an exciting and unique direction of research for Dr. Williams in collaboration with his colleagues at WFIRM. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Taking Community Action Against PainMANNEY REID; Fiscal Year: 2008..g., senior centers). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Liver Regeneration in the Transplant SettingKIM MARIE OLTHOFF; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding the mechanistic biology of graft recovery and pathways of liver regeneration will provide important data for designing treatment modalities that will prevent injury and enhance recovery and regeneration. ..
- ADOLESCENT MARIJUANA USE IN NATIVE AMERICANSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Dietary Treatment of Crohn's DiseaseEce Mutlu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Significance. This study could provide information to suggest diet as a safe therapy for IBD and lay the groundwork for more definitive, randomized, controlled trials. ..
- HCV-HIV Coinfection: Impact of Immune DysfunctionRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2007..The K-23 award will protect this candidates time and help him mature into a senior investigator in Hepatology. ..
- Neurobehavioral Consequences of Adolescent AlcoholCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2008..AIM 3: To investigate the neurochemical substrates underlying the lasting neurobehavioral consequences of adolescent ethanol exposure, with a focus on NMDA systems ..
- Pulmonary Hypertension and the Hypoxic Response in SCDVictor Gordeuk; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 3. Using micro array analysis and high throughput genotyping, examine patterns of gene expression and candidate gene polymorphisms of the HIF-mediated hypoxic response in SCD and CP patients with and without PHTN. ..
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERS ANNUAL MEETINGPaul Watkins; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- RISK FACTORS FOR ALCOHOLISM IN NATIVE AMERICANSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2006..The identification of such variables may potentially be useful in the development of specific prevention and treatment programs for this population as well as other Native American tribes. ..
- SAW PALMETTO EXTRACT IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2003..Numerous laboratory parameters will measured at intervals throughout the trial and symptomatic side effects will be assessed. ..
- ROLE OF MELATONIN IN SECONDARY INSOMNIA IN THE ELDERLYNalaka Gooneratne; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Suppression of Hepatoma Cell Growth by CelecoxibKe Qin Hu; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Role of 10-formyldihydrofolate in purine biosynthesisTsunenobu Tamura; Fiscal Year: 2004..If this pathway is proven, derivatives of 10-HCO-H2folate could be used to inhibit de novo purine biosynthesis for developing new anticancer drugs. ..
- SEVERE MALARIAL ANEMIA AND ALTERED IMMUNE FUNCTIONVictor Gordeuk; Fiscal Year: 2004..The nutritional status, underlying parasitic infections, and genotypes and numbers of infecting P. falciparum strains will also be characterized. ..
- Naltrexone Treatment in Pathologic Gambling DisorderSUCK KIM; Fiscal Year: 2004..S. The implications of our study expand from PGD to other impulse control disorders, including compulsive shopping, kleptomania and possible alcoholism. ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF HEREDITARY TRANSTHYRETIN AMYLOIDOSISMerrill Benson; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Alcohol Associated Outcomes Among HIV+/-Aging VeteransAmy Justice; Fiscal Year: 2002..After completing baseline enrollment, follow up will occur at 6-month intervals and new patients will be enrolled as they present for care. ..
- MEDIATORS OF AGE ASSOCIATED OUTCOMES IN HIV INFECTIONAmy Justice; Fiscal Year: 2002..By virtue of the requested support, the applicant believes she will gain the experience and insight needed to conduct multidisciplinary interventional studies to improve outcomes for middle-aged and older people with HIV. ..
- PROTEIN LIPID INTERACTIONS IN GALLSTONE PATHOGENESISNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may lead to strategies for the prevention and non-surgical therapy of this very common disease. ..
- TUMOR NECROSIS FACTOR INVOLVEMENT IN FUMONISIN TOXICITYRAGHUBIR SHARMA; Fiscal Year: 2001..Results will help in defining the mechanism(s) of fumonisin toxicity, causes of species-specificity, and provide a better appraisal of risk in humans, including modification of fumonisin response by gram-negative infections. ..
- Insulin and IGF In female colon, breast, uterine cancerHoward Strickler; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Nutritional/Inflammatory Evaluation of Dialysis PatientsKamyar Kalantar Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Overexpression of CYP2E1 and Alcohol Liver DiseaseJingxiang Bai; Fiscal Year: 2006..We hope this study could make a significant contribution to the prevention and therapy for alcohol liver disease, benefiting millions of such patients worldwide. ..
- Single Molecule Studies of Enzyme CatalysisGordon Hammes; Fiscal Year: 2005..These experiments are directed at understanding better how enzymes catalyze physiological reactions. A better understanding of enzyme mechanisms is essential for understanding the physiology of disease and the development of new drugs. ..
- Melatonin Randomized Trial in Insomnia in the ElderlyNalaka Gooneratne; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Antiviral Therapy in African Americans with HCVNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specimens of liver tissue and serum will be collected for basic studies on viral resistance. These studies should help determine the best therapy for AA with HCV. ..
- TWO X-LINKED GENES THAT REGULATE MINERAL HOMEOSTASISMichael Whyte; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Hepatoxicity in an African HIV Treatment CohortChristopher Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2008..It will be conducted within a large and on-going ARV cohort established as a collaborative project between a South African industrial conglomerate and Johns Hopkins University. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Acupuncture to aid post-colectomy recovery in colorectal cancer patientsGary Deng; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SAMe Inhibits Inflammatory-mediated Enhanced ToxicityJANE MADDOX; Fiscal Year: 2003..Moreover, they may provide evidence for development of related therapeutic compounds. ..
- Implementing a Cognitive/Exercise Therapy for Back Pain in The Community SettingMANNEY REID; Fiscal Year: 2008..Elaine Wethington), and geriatric physical therapy and instructional development and evaluation (Dr.Katherine Beissner), and are highly qualified to conduct the planned research. ..
- Mouse model of oral infection with virulent FrancisellaWangxue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..tularensis infection so that future hypothesis-driven studies with more focused research objectives can be designed and developed. ..
- Howard-CNMC Sickle Cell Disease Clinical CenterVictor Gordeuk; Fiscal Year: 2008..A major feature of both sickle cell programs has always been continuity of care and participation in collaborative research. ..
- Evaluation of an Abusive Head Trauma Prevention ProgramWendy Lane; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition rates of risk factors including poverty, teenage pregnancy, late prenatal care, low birth weight, and single parenthood among cases and controls will be compared. ..
- Immunobiology of Heparin-Induced ThrombocytopeniaSuresh Shelat; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] (End of Abstract) [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene Expression in Leptin-Regulated PathwaysANTHONY FERRANTE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, the proposed project will provide him with new molecules and pathways to investigate, as he begins his independent career studying the molecular genetics of energy homeostasis and obesity. ..
- NALTREXONE IN DRINKERS SMOKING RESPONSEAndrea King; Fiscal Year: 2002..Examining a targeted treatment combining pharmacotherapy and behavioral treatment for this subgroup is of great importance, as alcohol abusers show increased mortality more due to tobacco than alcohol-related illness. ..
- Efficacy of Naltrexone in Women's Smoking CessationAndrea King; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Alcohol Effects on Smoking Urge and BehaviorAndrea King; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Archaeal gene recruitment by the ChlamydialesDavid Graham; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from these experiments will support future microbiological studies of the role of this system in chlamydial infection and survival in the host cell. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..