Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of L-alanine and 2-oxoglutarate to pyruvate and L-glutamate. (From Enzyme Nomenclature, 1992) EC 188.8.131.52.
Publications338 found, 100 shown here
- Updated definitions of healthy ranges for serum alanine aminotransferase levelsDaniele Prati
Centro Trasfusionale e di Immunologia dei Trapianti, Laboratorio di Epidemiologia, Divisione di Ematologia, Istituto di Statistica Medica e Biometria, Cattedra di Gastroenterologia, Milan, Italy
Ann Intern Med 137:1-10. 2002..Current standards for "normal" ALT level were defined by using populations that included persons with subclinical liver disease...
- Risk of hepatocellular carcinoma across a biological gradient of serum hepatitis B virus DNA levelChien Jen Chen
Graduate Institute of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
JAMA 295:65-73. 2006..Serum hepatitis B virus (HBV) DNA level is a marker of viral replication and efficacy of antiviral treatment in individuals with chronic hepatitis B...
- The prevalence and etiology of elevated aminotransferase levels in the United StatesJeanne M Clark
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:960-7. 2003..Unexplained aminotransferase elevation was strongly associated with adiposity and other features of the metabolic syndrome, and thus may represent nonalcoholic fatty liver disease...
- The current state of serum biomarkers of hepatotoxicityJosef Ozer
Safety Assessment, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA, USA
Toxicology 245:194-205. 2008..Since these biomarkers are found in the serum/plasma of treated humans and rats, they have potential to be utilized as bridging markers to monitor acute drug-induced liver injury in early clinical trials...
- Liver enzyme alteration: a guide for cliniciansEdoardo G Giannini
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
CMAJ 172:367-79. 2005....
- Noninvasive diagnosis and monitoring of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: present and futureAnna Wieckowska
Department of Gastroenterology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Hepatology 46:582-9. 2007..They will not only help in the diagnosis of NASH, but also be useful for assessment of treatment response and prognosis and remain a research priority in the NAFLD field...
- Alanine aminotransferase, gamma-glutamyltransferase, and incident diabetes: the British Women's Heart and Health Study and meta-analysisAbigail Fraser
Departmentof Social Medicine, Medical Research Council Centre for Causal Analysis in Translational Epidemiology, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Diabetes Care 32:741-50. 2009..To estimate and compare associations of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT) with incident diabetes...
- Clinical and histologic spectrum of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease associated with normal ALT valuesPouneh Mofrad
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Hepatology 37:1286-92. 2003....
- Alanine aminotransferase predicts coronary heart disease events: a 10-year follow-up of the Hoorn StudyRoger K Schindhelm
Department of Endocrinology, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Atherosclerosis 191:391-6. 2007..Further studies should confirm these findings and elucidate the pathophysiological mechanisms...
- FIB-4: an inexpensive and accurate marker of fibrosis in HCV infection. comparison with liver biopsy and fibrotestAnais Vallet-Pichard
Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Hepatology 46:32-6. 2007..45 or >3.25 (kappa = 0.561, P < 0.01). A FIB-4 value <1.45 or >3.25 (64.6% of the cases) was concordant with FibroTest results in 92.1% and 76%, respectively...
- Prolonged therapy of advanced chronic hepatitis C with low-dose peginterferonAdrian M Di Bisceglie
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 3635 Vista Ave, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
N Engl J Med 359:2429-41. 2008..Whether long-term antiviral therapy can prevent progressive liver disease in such patients remains uncertain...
- Prevalence of elevated alanine aminotransferase among US adolescents and associated factors: NHANES 1999-2004Abigail Fraser
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, England
Gastroenterology 133:1814-20. 2007..Study aims were to estimate the prevalence of elevated alanine aminotransferase (ALT, as a marker of NAFLD) in a general contemporary adolescent population and to identify leading risk factors for ALT elevation (>30 U/L)...
- How can we enhance the performance of liver stiffness measurement using FibroScan in diagnosing liver cirrhosis in patients with chronic hepatitis B?Seung Up Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:66-71. 2010....
- Determinants of the association of overweight with elevated serum alanine aminotransferase activity in the United StatesConstance E Ruhl
Social and Scientific Systems, Inc, 8757 Georgia Avenue, 12th Floor, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Gastroenterology 124:71-9. 2003..We examined whether central adiposity and metabolic markers explain the association of body mass index (BMI as kg/m(2)) with abnormal serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) activity in a national, population-based study...
- Transient elastography: a new surrogate marker of liver fibrosis influenced by major changes of transaminasesB Coco
UO Gastroenterologia ed Epatologia Ospedaliera, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Pisa, Italy
J Viral Hepat 14:360-9. 2007....
- Risk of severe liver disease in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease with normal aminotransferase levels: a role for insulin resistance and diabetesAnna Ludovica Fracanzani
Department of Internal Medicine, Scientific Institute of Recovery and Cure Foundation IRCCS, Hospital Maggiore Policlinico, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 48:792-8. 2008..07; 95% CI, 1.02-1.14), and diabetes (OR, 1.8; 95% CI, 1.4-2.3) in the overall series, serum ferritin and diabetes in those with increased ALT, and only HOMA-IR (OR, 1.97; 95% CI, 1.2-3.7) in patients with normal ALT...
- Influence of gender, race, and ethnicity on suspected fatty liver in obese adolescentsJeffrey B Schwimmer
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, University of California, 200 W Arbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92103 8450, USA
Pediatrics 115:e561-5. 2005..Obesity and insulin resistance are major established risk factors for NAFLD. The role of gender, race, and ethnicity on the prevalence of fatty liver in obese children is unknown...
- Liver enzymes, the metabolic syndrome, and incident diabetes: the Mexico City diabetes studyMonica Nannipieri
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa School of Medicine, Via Roma, 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Diabetes Care 28:1757-62. 2005..To test the hypothesis that enzymes conventionally associated with liver dysfunction (aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase, gamma-glutamyltransferase [GGT], and alkaline phosphatase) may predict diabetes...
- Determinants of viral clearance and persistence during acute hepatitis C virus infectionR Thimme
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Exp Med 194:1395-406. 2001....
- Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in Latino and non-Latino whites with hepatitis CMaribel Rodriguez-Torres
Fundacion de Investigacion de Diego, San Juan, Puerto Rico
N Engl J Med 360:257-67. 2009..We evaluated the effect of Latino ethnic background on the response to treatment with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in patients infected with HCV genotype 1 who had not been treated previously...
- A large population study of spontaneous HBeAg seroconversion and acute exacerbation of chronic hepatitis B infection: implications for antiviral therapyM F Yuen
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Gut 52:416-9. 2003..In the present study we examined the clinical features and significance of HBeAg seroconversion and acute exacerbation in 3063 Chinese CHB patients...
- High alanine aminotransferase is associated with decreased hepatic insulin sensitivity and predicts the development of type 2 diabetesBarbora Vozarova
Clinical Diabetes and Nutrition Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes 51:1889-95. 2002..Our findings indicate that high ALT is a marker of risk for type 2 diabetes and suggest a potential role of the liver in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes...
- Hepatoprotective effect of syringic acid and vanillic acid on concanavalin a-induced liver injuryAyano Itoh
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University
Biol Pharm Bull 32:1215-9. 2009..Together, these findings indicate that the phenolic compounds in L.E.M. are hepatoprotective through their suppression of immune-mediated liver inflammation...
- Alanine aminotransferase as a marker of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in relation to type 2 diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular diseaseRoger K Schindhelm
Department of Endocrinology Diabetes Centre, VU University Medical Centre, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 22:437-43. 2006..In addition, treatment strategies to ameliorate NAFLD and the associated risks are discussed...
- Estimation of the healthy upper limits for serum alanine aminotransferase in Asian populations with normal liver histologyJae Keun Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Hepatology 51:1577-83. 2010..The mean ALT concentrations for subjects within the Prati criteria were significantly lower than for those outside the criteria (16.7 versus 19.5 IU/L for men, 12.8 versus 14.9 IU/L for women; P < 0.001)...
- Liver enzymes and incident diabetes: findings from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Potsdam StudyEarl S Ford
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Diabetes Care 31:1138-43. 2008We sought to examine the association between plasma concentrations of liver enzymes gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT) and alanine transaminase (ALT) and incident diabetes, prospectively.
- Liver enzymes are associated with hepatic insulin resistance, insulin secretion, and glucagon concentration in healthy men and womenFabrice Bonnet
Service endocrinologie diabétologie, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire CHU Rennes, University Rennes 1, Inserm UMR 991, Rennes, France
Diabetes 60:1660-7. 2011..We explored the association of liver enzymes with peripheral and hepatic insulin resistance, insulin secretion, insulin clearance, and glucagon concentration...
- Elevation of liver enzymes within the normal limits and metabolic syndromeMing Feng Xia
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 38:373-9. 2011..Revision of the current normal limits for liver enzymes is advisable so that patients with potential metabolic disorders can be identified...
- Prognostic determinants for chronic hepatitis B in Asians: therapeutic implicationsM F Yuen
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Rd, Hong Kong, China
Gut 54:1610-4. 2005..Identifying risk factors for the development of complications of chronic hepatitis B (CHB) is important for setting up treatment criteria...
- Accuracy of b-GGT fraction for the diagnosis of non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseMaria Franzini
Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Pz Martiri della Libertà 33, Pisa, Italy
Liver Int 32:629-34. 2012..Serum gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT) activity is a sensitive but non-specific marker of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Recently, four GGT fractions (big-, medium-, small-, free-GGT) were described in humans...
- Direct comparison of diagnostic performance of transient elastography in patients with chronic hepatitis B and chronic hepatitis CAna Carolina Cardoso
Service d Hépatologie and INSERM U773 CRB3, Hopital Beaujon, APHP, University of Paris 7, Clichy, France
Liver Int 32:612-21. 2012..A secondary analysis was performed to assess whether or not alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels would impact on the accuracy of TE...
- Potential hepatoprotective effects of fullerenol C60(OH)24 in doxorubicin-induced hepatotoxicity in rats with mammary carcinomasRade Injac
Faculty of Pharmacy, The Chair of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Ljubljana, Askerceva 7, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Biomaterials 29:3451-60. 2008..We can conclude that fullerenol has cytotoxic effects on HepG2 by itself, but when the oxidative stress is too high the cytotoxic effects of fullerenol are overcome by its protective role as a strong antioxidant compound...
- Epidemiological, clinical, and biochemical characteristics of Saudi patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a hospital-based studyWaleed Al-Hamoudi
Department of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 32:288-92. 2012..We aimed to determine the characteristics of Saudi NAFLD patients attending a university hospital, and study factors affecting alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels...
- Serum activity of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) as an indicator of health and diseaseW Ray Kim
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Hepatology 47:1363-70. 2008
- Resting and post-exercise serum biomarkers of cardiac and skeletal muscle damage in adolescent runnersJ Nie
School of Physical Education and Sports, Macao Polytechnic Institute, Macao, China
Scand J Med Sci Sports 21:625-9. 2011..In conclusion, a 21 km run in adolescent runners increased post-exercise biomarkers of cardiac and skeletal muscle damage...
- Updated thresholds for serum alanine aminotransferase level in a large-scale population study composed of 34 346 subjectsW C Wu
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 36:560-8. 2012..The sensitivity of current upper limit of normal (ULN) of serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels for detecting chronic liver disease has been challenged recently...
- Poor durability of lamivudine effectiveness despite stringent cessation criteria: a prospective clinical study in hepatitis B e antigen-negative chronic hepatitis B patientsFeng Liu
Department of Infectious Diseases and Hepatology, the Second Hospital of Shandong University, Shanghai, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:456-60. 2011..This study was designed to assess the durability of lamivudine treatment with stringent cessation criteria in hepatitis B e antigen (HBeAg)-negative patients and to explore potential predictive factors...
- Factors that predict response of patients with hepatitis B e antigen-positive chronic hepatitis B to peginterferon-alfaErik H C J Buster
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 137:2002-9. 2009..We analyzed data from the 2 largest global trials of hepatitis B e antigen (HBeAg)-positive patients with chronic hepatitis B to determine which are most likely to respond to PEG-IFN-alfa therapy...
- Comparison of FIB-4 and APRI in Chinese HBV-infected patients with persistently normal ALT and mildly elevated ALTH Wang
Department of Infectious Diseases, Zhejiang People s Provincial Hospital, Zhejiang, China
J Viral Hepat 20:e3-10. 2013..93. Both FIB-4 and APRI are useful for identification of those without significant fibrosis. However, because they have poor PPV, LB will continue to be used for assessment of HBV-infected patients with normal ALT and mildly elevated ALT...
- Correlation of liver biochemistry with liver stiffness in chronic hepatitis B and development of a predictive model for liver fibrosisJames Fung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, Hong Kong
Liver Int 28:1408-16. 2008..Abstract Aim: To correlate liver stiffness with demographical factors and routine liver biochemistry and to assess the predictive value of these as potential markers of fibrosis...
- Relation between elevated serum alanine aminotransferase and metabolic syndrome in Korean adolescentsHye Soon Park
Department of Family Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Am J Clin Nutr 82:1046-51. 2005..Unexplained elevations in aminotransferase concentrations have been strongly associated with adiposity and thus may represent nonalcoholic fatty liver disease...
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease's prevalence and impact on alanine aminotransferase associated with metabolic syndrome in the ChineseXu Hong Hou
Shanghai Clinical Center of Diabetes, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Affiliated Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:722-30. 2011....
- Development and validation of a simple index system to predict nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseYoung Jin Park
Department of Family Medicine, Busan Medical Center, Busan, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 17:19-26. 2011..The aims of this study were to establish a predictive model for the selection of subjects for abdominal ultrasonography for the diagnosis of NAFLD and to assess validity of the model...
- Liver enzymes and risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease: results of the Firenze Bagno a Ripoli (FIBAR) studyMatteo Monami
Geriatric Unit, Department of Critical Care and Surgery, University of Florence, Florence 50141, Italy
Metabolism 57:387-92. 2008..5-28.1]), but not diabetes. Elevated gamma-GT or AST is an independent predictor of CVD. An increase of gamma-GT levels above the reference range, or also in the upper reference range, is an independent predictor of incident diabetes...
- Efficacy and safety of prolonged 3-year telbivudine treatment in patients with chronic hepatitis BEdward J Gane
New Zealand Liver Unit, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Liver Int 31:676-84. 2011..In the GLOBE trial, telbivudine demonstrated superior efficacy to lamivudine at 2 years in patients with chronic hepatitis B (CHB)...
- Emergence of entecavir-resistant mutations in nucleos(t)ide-naive Japanese patients infected with hepatitis B virus: virological breakthrough is also dependent on adherence to medicationHidehiro Kamezaki
Department of Medicine and Clinical Oncology, Chiba University, Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Scand J Gastroenterol 46:1111-7. 2011....
- Comparison of alanine aminotransferase, white blood cell count, and uric acid in their association with metabolic syndrome: a study of Korean adultsYang Ho Kang
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Endocr J 55:1093-102. 2008..Among three markers, in overlap the multiple risk factors, ALT might have a strong association with metabolic syndrome in Korean adults...
- Morbid obesity exposes the association between PNPLA3 I148M (rs738409) and indices of hepatic injury in individuals of European descentS Romeo
Institute of Metabolic Science, Addenbrooke s Hospital, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Int J Obes (Lond) 34:190-4. 2010..Intriguingly, initial findings in cohorts with a mean body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg m(-2) also suggested that it is associated with elevated liver enzymes but not with insulin resistance and dyslipidaemia...
- Abnormal liver function tests in patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus: prevalence, clinical correlations and underlying pathologiesJ S Leeds
Departments of Gastroenterology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Diabet Med 26:1235-41. 2009To determine the prevalence of elevated alanine transaminase (ALT) in a large cohort of patients with Type 1 diabetes and to examine the clinical correlations and causes...
- Elevated alanine aminotransferase predicts new-onset type 2 diabetes independently of classical risk factors, metabolic syndrome, and C-reactive protein in the west of Scotland coronary prevention studyNaveed Sattar
Division of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, Universityof Glasgow, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow G31 2ER, Scotland, UK
Diabetes 53:2855-60. 2004..The simplicity of ALT measurement and its availability in routine clinical practice suggest that this enzyme activity could be included in future diabetes prediction algorithms...
- Protective effect of recombinant human IL-1Ra on CCl4-induced acute liver injury in miceRun Zhi Zhu
Shanghai Municipality Key Laboratory of Veterinary Biotechnology, School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:2771-9. 2010..To evaluate the effects of positive regulation of recombinant human interleukin 1 receptor antagonist (rhIL-1Ra) on hepatic tissue recovery in acute liver injury in mice induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))...
- A novel liver stiffness measurement-based prediction model for cirrhosis in hepatitis B patientsBeom Kyung Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Liver Int 30:1073-81. 2010..We developed a new LSM-based prediction model for cirrhosis and estimated the thresholds for different ALT levels...
- Ondansetron attenuates hepatic injury via p38 MAPK-dependent pathway in a rat haemorrhagic shock modelFu Chao Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Resuscitation 82:335-40. 2011..In this study, we hypothesized that ondansetron administration in male rats, after haemorrhagic shock, decreases cytokine production and protects against hepatic injury through a p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway...
- Molecular forms of HMGB1 and keratin-18 as mechanistic biomarkers for mode of cell death and prognosis during clinical acetaminophen hepatotoxicityDaniel J Antoine
Department of Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
J Hepatol 56:1070-9. 2012..The study aim was to assess their mechanistic utility to establish the balance between apoptosis, necrosis, and immune cell activation throughout the time course of clinical APAP hepatotoxicity...
- Serum aminotransferase levels are associated with markers of hypoxia in patients with obstructive sleep apneaDaniel Norman
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA 92103 8383, USA
Sleep 31:121-6. 2008....
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease prevalence among school-aged children and adolescents in Iran and its association with biochemical and anthropometric measuresSeyed Moayed Alavian
Baqiyatallah Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases BRCGL, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran Hepatitis Center, Tehran, Iran
Liver Int 29:159-63. 2009..To investigate the prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) as well as the determination of associated metabolic abnormalities in Iranian school-aged children and adolescents...
- Delayed anti-HCV antibody response in HIV-positive men acutely infected with HCVEmma C Thomson
Department of Virology, Wright Fleming Institute, Imperial College, London, UK
AIDS 23:89-93. 2009....
- Thyroid hormone preconditioning: protection against ischemia-reperfusion liver injury in the ratVirginia Fernandez
Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology Program, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Hepatology 45:170-7. 2007....
- High AST/ALT ratio may indicate advanced alcoholic liver disease rather than heavy drinkingH Nyblom
The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Alcohol Alcohol 39:336-9. 2004..To assess the place of AST/ALT ratio (the ratio of serum aspartate aminotransferase to serum alanine aminotransferase) as a diagnostic marker in medical populations...
- Aminotransferase elevations in healthy adults receiving 4 grams of acetaminophen daily: a randomized controlled trialPaul B Watkins
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
JAMA 296:87-93. 2006..During a clinical trial of a novel hydrocodone/acetaminophen combination, a high incidence of serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) elevations was observed...
- Joint effects of body weight and alcohol on elevated serum alanine aminotransferase in the United States populationConstance E Ruhl
Social and Scientific Systems, Inc, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:1260-8. 2005..We examined the relationship of alcohol drinking and binge drinking with abnormal serum aminotransferase activity in normal weight, overweight, and obese persons in a national, population-based study...
- Role of Akt-dependent up-regulation of hemeoxygenase-1 in resveratrol-mediated attenuation of hepatic injury after trauma hemorrhageHuang Ping Yu
Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Surgery 148:103-9. 2010..The aim of this study is to elucidate whether Akt/HO-1 plays any role in resveratrol-mediated attenuation of hepatic injury after trauma hemorrhage...
- Simple non-invasive fibrosis scoring systems can reliably exclude advanced fibrosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseStuart McPherson
Liver Unit, Level 6, Freeman Hospital, Freeman Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Gut 59:1265-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to compare the diagnostic performance of simple non-invasive tests in identifying advanced fibrosis among patients with biopsy-proven NAFLD...
- The role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in liver toxicity, inflammation, and fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachlorideP P Simeonova
Toxicology and Molecular Biology Branch, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1095 Willowdale Road, Morgantown, West Virginia 26505, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 177:112-20. 2001..Taken together, these results indicate that TNFalpha is responsible for regulating products that induce inflammation and fibrosis but not direct hepatocyte damage in CCl(4)-induced hepatotoxicity...
- The roles of iNOS in liver ischemia-reperfusion injuryV G Lee
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Shock 16:355-60. 2001..These data suggest that systemic as well as local sources of iNOS regulate reperfusion, and local iNOS contributes to hepatic injury, while eNOS is protective in warm hepatic ischemia-reperfusion...
- Serum miR-122 as a biomarker of necroinflammation in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infectionVerena Bihrer
Department of Medicine I, University of Frankfurt M, Frankfurt, Germany
Am J Gastroenterol 106:1663-9. 2011..Here, we investigated if the serum levels of miR-122 might be useful as disease parameter in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection...
- Purification and characterization of the alanine aminotransferase from the hyperthermophilic Archaeon pyrococcus furiosus and its role in alanine productionD E Ward
Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen Agricultural University, NL 6703 CT Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Bacteriol 182:2559-66. 2000..The coordinated control found for the aat and gdh genes is in good agreement with these enzymes acting in a concerted manner to form an electron sink in P. furiosus...
- Improved nonalcoholic steatohepatitis after 48 weeks of treatment with the PPAR-gamma ligand rosiglitazoneBrent A Neuschwander-Tetri
University Liver Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 3635 Vista Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Hepatology 38:1008-17. 2003....
- Higher concentrations of alanine aminotransferase within the reference interval predict nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseYoosoo Chang
Health Screening Center, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Clin Chem 53:686-92. 2007..We performed a prospective study to examine the association between ALT within its reference interval and risk for subsequent development of NAFLD...
- Glycolysis and the tricarboxylic acid cycle are linked by alanine aminotransferase during hypoxia induced by waterlogging of Lotus japonicusMarcio Rocha
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, Energy and Central Metabolism Research Groups, D 14476 Potsdam Golm, Germany
Plant Physiol 152:1501-13. 2010..The importance of alanine metabolism is discussed with respect to its ability to regulate the level of pyruvate, and this and all other changes are discussed in the context of current models concerning the regulation of plant metabolism...
- SAFETY study: alanine aminotransferase cutoff values are set too high for reliable detection of pediatric chronic liver diseaseJeffrey B Schwimmer
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Department of Pediatrics University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, California 92103 8450, USA
Gastroenterology 138:1357-64, 1364.e1-2. 2010..The appropriate alanine aminotransferase (ALT) threshold value to use for diagnosis of chronic liver disease in children is unknown. We sought to develop gender-specific, biology-based, pediatric ALT thresholds...
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal association of serum alanine aminotransaminase and γ-glutamyltransferase with metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and elderly Chinese peopleYu Xu
Shanghai Clinical Center for Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases, Shanghai Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism, The State Key Laboratory of Medical Genomics, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Diabetes 3:38-47. 2011....
- Response to long-term lamivudine treatment (up to 5 years) in patients with severe chronic hepatitis B, role of genotype and drug resistanceD N Moskovitz
University Health Network, Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Viral Hepat 12:398-404. 2005..Cirrhosis was more prevalent with specific genotypes. We found no influence of HBV genotype on the development of resistance to lamivudine, however liver disease severity was influenced by genotype...
- Chronic hepatitis C in patients with persistently normal alanine transaminase levelsMitchell L Shiffman
Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA, and Hospital General de Valencia, Spain
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:645-52. 2006Many patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) have persistently normal serum alanine transaminase (ALT) levels...
- The 148M allele of the PNPLA3 gene is associated with indices of liver damage early in lifeStefano Romeo
Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
J Hepatol 53:335-8. 2010..In this study we add further insight into the role of PNPLA3 by exploring whether this association begins early in life in obese children or becomes manifest only in adulthood...
- Contribution of metabolic factors to alanine aminotransferase activity in persons with other causes of liver diseaseGeorge N Ioannou
Gastroenterology, Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington USA
Gastroenterology 128:627-35. 2005....
- Comparison between clevudine and entecavir treatment for antiviral-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis BHong Joo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Liver Int 30:834-40. 2010..There has been no study comparing the clinical efficacy of clevudine and entecavir in antiviral-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis B (CHB)...
- Alanine aminotransferase-based algorithms of liver stiffness measurement by transient elastography (Fibroscan) for liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis BH L Y Chan
Institute of Digestive Disease, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Viral Hepat 16:36-44. 2009..In conclusion, transient elastography is a reasonable noninvasive tool to substitute liver biopsy among the lowest and highest risk patients for the assessment of liver fibrosis...
- Blood chemistry measurements and D-Dimer levels associated with fatal and nonfatal outcomes in humans infected with Sudan Ebola virusPierre E Rollin
Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 196:S364-71. 2007..This study has identified levels of analytes with prognostic value, which can also be used to target therapeutic interventions, and expands on the findings of prior blood tests conducted on this group of patients...
- Long-term outcome of hepatitis B e antigen-negative hepatitis B surface antigen carriers in relation to changes of alanine aminotransferase levels over timeDar In Tai
Liver Research Unit, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chung Gung University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatology 49:1859-67. 2009....
- Prospective comparison of two algorithms combining non-invasive methods for staging liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CLaurent Castera
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Hopital Haut Leveque, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire C H U de Bordeaux, Pessac, France
J Hepatol 52:191-8. 2010..The aim of this prospective study was to compare the performance of these two algorithms for diagnosing significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in 302 CHC patients...
- A novel panel of blood markers to assess the degree of liver fibrosisPaul Cales
Laboratoire HIFIH, UPRES 3859, IFR 132, Universite, Angers, France
Hepatology 42:1373-81. 2005..Whereas the Fibrometer has a high diagnostic accuracy for clinically significant fibrosis, blood tests for the area of liver fibrosis provide a quantitative estimation of the amount of fibrosis, which is especially useful in cirrhosis...
- Circulating and liver resident CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells actively influence the antiviral immune response and disease progression in patients with hepatitis BDongping Xu
Beijing Institute of Infectious Diseases, Beijing 302 Hospital, 100 Xi Si Huan Middle Road, Beijing 100039, China
J Immunol 177:739-47. 2006..Together, our findings suggest that CD4+CD25+ Treg play an active role not only in modulating effectors of immune response to HBV infection, but also in influencing the disease prognosis in patients with hepatitis B...
- Comparison and validation of simple noninvasive tests for prediction of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CCarolin Lackner
Department of Pathology, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
Hepatology 41:1376-82. 2005..In conclusion, simple fibrosis tests may render liver biopsy unnecessary only in a minority of patients with chronic HCV. Improved serum fibrosis markers with greater sensitivity for severe fibrosis or cirrhosis are needed...
- Delayed ischemic preconditioning protects against liver ischemia-reperfusion injury in vivoP Romanque
Universidad de Chile, Facultad de Medicina, Santiago, Chile
Transplant Proc 42:1569-75. 2010..Ischemic preconditioning (IP) affords resistance to liver ischemia-reperfusion (IR) injury, providing an early phase of protection. Development of delayed IP against IR injury was assessed using partial IR in rat liver...
- Comparative toxicity evaluation of cyanobacterial cyclic peptide toxin microcystin variants (LR, RR, YR) in miceNidhi Gupta
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Defence Research and Development Establishment, Jhansi Road, 474002, Gwalior, India
Toxicology 188:285-96. 2003..Based on biochemical and histological studies, MC-LR was found to be the most potent toxin followed by MC-YR and MC-RR...
- Population-based genome-wide association studies reveal six loci influencing plasma levels of liver enzymesXin Yuan
Genetics Division, GlaxoSmithKline, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Am J Hum Genet 83:520-8. 2008..The specific associations with ALP levels may point to genes for bone or intestinal diseases...
- Increase in the prevalence of fatty liver in Japan over the past 12 years: analysis of clinical backgroundSei ichiro Kojima
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Tokai University School of Medicine, 259 1193, Isehara, Bohseidai, Japan
J Gastroenterol 38:954-61. 2003..The aim of this investigation was to elucidate the time-course of changes in the prevalence of fatty liver, and to analyze its clinical backgrounds over the previous 12-year period...
- Biochemical and histological effects of 26 weeks of glycyrrhizin treatment in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized phase II trialHans Orlent
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Hepatol 45:539-46. 2006..Our aim was to determine the dose frequency of glycyrrhizin required to maintain the ALT response beyond 4 weeks and evaluate its effect on liver histology and quality of life...
- Predominant role of sterol response element binding proteins (SREBP) lipogenic pathways in hepatic steatosis in the murine intragastric ethanol feeding modelCheng Ji
USC UCLA Research Center for Alcoholic Liver and Pancreatic Diseases, Department of Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, HMR 101, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Hepatol 45:717-24. 2006..The contribution of SREBP-1c to alcohol-induced fatty liver and injury was studied...
- Mildly elevated liver transaminase levels in the asymptomatic patientPaul T Giboney
Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am Fam Physician 71:1105-10. 2005Mild elevations in liver chemistry tests such as alanine transaminase and aspartate transaminase can reveal serious underlying conditions or have transient and benign etiologies...
- Liver damage underlying unexplained transaminase elevation in human immunodeficiency virus-1 mono-infected patients on antiretroviral therapyPatrick Ingiliz
Hepatology Department, AP HP, GH Pitié Salpétrière, Paris, France
Hepatology 49:436-42. 2009..The presence of NASH was correlated with high fasting glycemia and insulin levels, not with liver mitochondrial function or mitochondrial DNA content...
- Weight loss and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: falls in gamma-glutamyl transferase concentrations are associated with histologic improvementJohn B Dixon
Centre for Obesity Research and Education, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Obes Surg 16:1278-86. 2006..The ability for aminotransferase levels to track histological features of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) with weight loss has not been examined...
- Pegylated interferon-alpha-2a plus ribavirin for treatment-naive Asian patients with hepatitis C virus genotype 1 infection: a multicenter, randomized controlled trialChen Hua Liu
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Infect Dis 47:1260-9. 2008..Whether a 48-week course of combination therapy shows a better SVR rate than a 24-week course of such therapy among Asian patients with HCV-1 infection has not been confirmed in multicenter, randomized studies...
- Serial metabolic measurements and conversion to type 2 diabetes in the west of Scotland coronary prevention study: specific elevations in alanine aminotransferase and triglycerides suggest hepatic fat accumulation as a potential contributing factorNaveed Sattar
Department of Vascular Biochemistry, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
Diabetes 56:984-91. 2007....
- Entecavir treatment in patients with severe acute exacerbation of chronic hepatitis BVincent Wai Sun Wong
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Hepatol 54:236-42. 2011..Lamivudine was used in most previous studies, but the drug was limited by the development of resistance. Our objective is to study the safety and efficacy of entecavir in patients with severe acute exacerbation...
- Real-time tissue elastography versus FibroScan for noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis in chronic liver diseaseM Friedrich-Rust
Department of Internal Medicine 1, J W Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Ultraschall Med 30:478-84. 2009..The aim of the present study was to validate real-time elastography using the formulas calculated in previous studies and to compare the results to transient elastography and FibroTest for the noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis...
- Evaluation of seven noninvasive models in staging liver fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infectionJing Ma
Department of Hepatitis Diseases, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410011, People s Republic of China
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:428-34. 2013..In this study, we evaluated the ability of seven noninvasive models in staging liver fibrosis in a large cohort of CHB...
- Prevalence and risk factors of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the elderly: results from the Rotterdam studyEdith M Koehler
Dept of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Hepatol 57:1305-11. 2012..However, limited data are available concerning the prevalence of NAFLD in the elderly. Our aim was to determine the prevalence and risk factors of NAFLD in an elderly population...
- Kupffer cell-dependent hepatitis occurs during influenza infectionNoelle K Polakos
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 626, Rochester, NY 14642 8609, USA
Am J Pathol 168:1169-78; quiz 1404-5. 2006..Such hepatic collateral damage may be a general consequence of expanding CD8(+) T-cell populations during many extrahepatic viral infections, yielding important implications for liver pathobiology...
- CDDO-Im protects from acetaminophen hepatotoxicity through induction of Nrf2-dependent genesScott A Reisman
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutics, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160 7417, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 236:109-14. 2009..Collectively, the present study shows that CDDO-Im pretreatment induces Nrf2-dependent cytoprotective genes and protects the liver from acetaminophen-induced hepatic injury...
- Liver cancer risk and prevention among persons living with HIV/AIDSLESLEY SUEJEAN PARK; Fiscal Year: 2013..FIB-4, an established marker of liver fibrosis and cirrhosis, is calculated from routine labs (alanine transaminase, aspartate transaminase, platelet count) and age...
- Novel Small-molecule TNF-a Modulators as Chemoprotective AgentsJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2012..has been shown to reduce levels of blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, aspartate transaminase (AST), and alanine transaminase (ALT) elevated by cisplatin, indicating the protection of kidney and liver by UTL-5g...
- ART PHARMACOKINETICS IN SEVERELY MALNOURISHED HIV-INFECTED CHILDRENEricka Hayes; Fiscal Year: 2009..peroxidase, and oxidized serum proteins), hepatic function and integrity (quantified by albumin, alanine transaminase and aspartate transaminase), renal function (measured by serum cystatin C) and immunologic function (..
- Anti-Inflammatory effect of Cholinergic Pathway:IschemiaElahe Crockett; Fiscal Year: 2005..The liver injury will be evaluated by liver histopathology and changes of the plasma alanine transaminase (ALT) levels. II...
- Novel ALT Isoenzymes and Their Diagnositc ApplicationDa Wei Gong; Fiscal Year: 2003For nearly fifty years, alanine transaminase (ALT) has been a widely used clinical diagnostic marker of acute and chronic hepatic injury...
- Breast Cancer Prevention and Treatment with Noni juiceMian Ying Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..The latency, multiplicity, volume of tumors, and the survivor rate of animals at the end of experiment will be evaluated in different groups. ..
- Alcohol Dependence in General Medical SettingsScott Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- HEPATITIS C VIRAL QUASISPECIES WITHIN THE LIVERAdrian Di Bisceglie; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies have great potential significance for understanding of viral clearance, development of persistent infection and for the development of a vaccine against HCV. ..
- Adipose and Fatty Liver in the Metabolic SyndromeJeffrey Schwimmer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- HCV-HIV Coinfection: Impact of Immune DysfunctionRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2007..The K-23 award will protect this candidates time and help him mature into a senior investigator in Hepatology. ..
- A MULTI-CENTER THERAPY TRIAL FOR ACUTE LIVER FAILUREWilliam Lee; Fiscal Year: 2004..The overall goal is to apply modern clinical, epidemiological and virological techniques to the study of this rare but devastating illness. ..
- Relationship of metabolic abnormalities to hepatic steatosis in HIVRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2008..If our hypothesis is correct, this work could result in a dramatic change in the long-term care of the over 1 million HIV infected individuals in the US. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Immunity in Early Syphillis: Pathway to HIV CoinfectionJuan Salazar; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Aim 2 we will study the effect of secondary syphilis on viral load (VL) in HIV co-infected individuals. In this aim we will compare VL between HIV patients with and without syphilis and determine the effect of penicillin on VL. ..
- FURANOCOUMARINS AND DRUGS EFFECT ON CYP3A4Paul Watkins; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Liver innate immunity in drug-induced liver diseaseZhang Xu Liu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Kaplowitz and the center members at the outstanding environment of USC Research Center for Liver Diseases. ..
- Development of UTL-5b for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Mechanism of ActionJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2007..This phase 1 study will focus on a comprehensive collagen-induced arthritis animal study. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Treatment of PTSD in Cardiac PatientsEyal Shemesh; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will evaluate the safety as well as the potential benefits of this approach. A full efficacy trial is expected to follow this pilot study if the results are encouraging. ..
- HIV Protective Immunity and Perinatal ExposureLouise Kuhn; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- EFFECTS OF SAM IN PATIENTS WITH ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASECharles Halsted; Fiscal Year: 2007..By confirming the relationship of abnormal methionine metabolism to clinical, biochemical, and pathologic disease severity, the study will establish a metabolic basis for determining the efficacy of SAM intervention in ALD. ..
- Zinc Therapy in Zinc Deficient HIV+ Drug UsersMarianna Baum; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- TNF-alpha modulator as a radioprotector in liverJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ultimate goal is to develop a radioprotective drug to be used in conjunction with radio therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RECURRENT HEPATITIS B AFTER LIVER TRANSPLANTATIONAnna Lok; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Pathogenesis of Essential Tremor: Cerebellar MetabolismElan Louis; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Efficacy of Naltrexone in Women's Smoking CessationAndrea King; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- MPT INHIBITOR IND 50,820 IN FAMILIAL HYPERCHOLESTEROLEM*Marina Cuchel; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study would serve as basis for approval of BMS-201038 for hoFH. ..
- Modafinil Treatment for Fatigue in HIV+ PatientsJudith Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..The major aims concern modafinil efficacy for fatigue compared to placebo, safety in terms of effects on immunologic/virologic measures, and impact on depressive symptoms when present at baseline. ..
- HIV Disease, Drug Abuse, & Nutrient Therapy in BotswanaMarianna Baum; Fiscal Year: 2007..Since antiretroviral therapies are not readily available to HIV infected adults in most countries in Africa, this study may provide an alternative approach to retard HIV progression. ..
- Mechanistic study of CHD risk in subjects with high HDLCMarina Cuchel; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Pulmonary Hypertension and the Hypoxic Response in SCDVictor Gordeuk; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 3. Using micro array analysis and high throughput genotyping, examine patterns of gene expression and candidate gene polymorphisms of the HIF-mediated hypoxic response in SCD and CP patients with and without PHTN. ..
- Clinical Relevance of Transient Nevirapine ResistanceLouise Kuhn; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and Cytochrome P450 EnzymesNaga P Chalasani; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, we examine the relationship between this enzyme activity and the degree of insulin resistance and lipid peroxidation. ..
- T reg Cells in MyocarditisSally A Huber; Fiscal Year: 2010..Determine whether the T reg cells are antigen specific (virus), cardiovascular specific (autoimmunity), or non-antigen specific. ..
- Melatonin Randomized Trial in Insomnia in the ElderlyNalaka Gooneratne; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Cell type gene delivery and alcoholic liver diseaseMichael Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, through didactic training, and interactions with his mentor and key faculty, the applicant will acquire new skills that will allow him to become a successful member of the alcohol research community. ..
- Antiviral Therapy in African Americans with HCVNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specimens of liver tissue and serum will be collected for basic studies on viral resistance. These studies should help determine the best therapy for AA with HCV. ..
- Studies of Human Folate HydrolaseCharles Halsted; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DHEA EFFECTS ON MOOD IN DEPRESSED HIV+ PATIENTSJudith Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will permit the investigators to assess potential underlying mechanisms for the putative therapeutic effects of DHEA on mood, libido, and body composition. ..
- ETHANOL METABOLISM IN PREGNANCY--ROLE OF DIETMartin Ronis; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- CHRONIC HEPATITIS C: MOLECULAR & CELLULAR MARKERSGeoffrey Farrell; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will also allow the design of adjunctive treatments more appropriately targeted towards the key pathogenic processes that determine disease progression. ..
- NOVEL THERAPIES FOR ACETAMINOPHEN TOXICITYLaura James; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- DYING AT HOME OF AIDS & CANCER: PREFERENCES & OUTCOMESJudith Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..The data collected in the preliminary study will be used in the full-scale study. ..
- Feasibility Study of Three NCEs for Rheumatoid ArthritisJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2004..Ultimately, the successful drug candidate will provide a significantly improved therapy for patients suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis. ..
- Alcohol Associated Outcomes Among HIV+/-Aging VeteransAmy Justice; Fiscal Year: 2002..After completing baseline enrollment, follow up will occur at 6-month intervals and new patients will be enrolled as they present for care. ..
- ROLE OF MELATONIN IN SECONDARY INSOMNIA IN THE ELDERLYNalaka Gooneratne; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MEDIATORS OF AGE ASSOCIATED OUTCOMES IN HIV INFECTIONAmy Justice; Fiscal Year: 2002..By virtue of the requested support, the applicant believes she will gain the experience and insight needed to conduct multidisciplinary interventional studies to improve outcomes for middle-aged and older people with HIV. ..
- ALCOHOL EFFECTS ON LIVER DISEASE IN HCV AND HIV COINFECTWarren Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2002..It will also provide an increased understanding of progressive liver disease in this population that will aid in future management and antiviral therapy. ..
- PROTEIN LIPID INTERACTIONS IN GALLSTONE PATHOGENESISNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may lead to strategies for the prevention and non-surgical therapy of this very common disease. ..
- Evaluation of a Biomarker for Acetaminophen ToxicityLaura James; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data generated from this study will lead to enhanced recognition of APAP hepatotoxicity, thus allowing for better identification of "at risk" populations and the creation of prevention strategies. ..
- ERYTHROCYTAPHERESIS TO LOWER IRON LOADING IN THALASSEMIAAlan Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- PTSD and nonadherence in pediatric transplant patientsEyal Shemesh; Fiscal Year: 2005..This proposal will therefore allow the principal investigator to develop into an independent investigator performing clinical research into the phenomenology and treatment of co-morbid psychiatric and medical illness in children. ..
- Non-parenteral transmission of hepatitis CChia Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CD4+ T CELLS PROMOTE EARLY ATHEROSCLEROSISSally Huber; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specific Aim 3 will investigate the role of CD4+ T cells in atherogenesis and evaluate whether these cells promote Th1 cell dominance. ..
- NALTREXONE IN DRINKERS SMOKING RESPONSEAndrea King; Fiscal Year: 2002..Examining a targeted treatment combining pharmacotherapy and behavioral treatment for this subgroup is of great importance, as alcohol abusers show increased mortality more due to tobacco than alcohol-related illness. ..
- Acupuncture to aid post-colectomy recovery in colorectal cancer patientsGary Deng; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERS ANNUAL MEETINGPaul Watkins; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- VIRAHEP-C Clinical CenterAnna Lok; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISM OF GLUTATHIONE CONJUGATE DEPENDENT TOXICITYArthur Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hepatoxicity in an African HIV Treatment CohortChristopher Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2008..It will be conducted within a large and on-going ARV cohort established as a collaborative project between a South African industrial conglomerate and Johns Hopkins University. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Proteomics and Biomarkers for Hepatocellular CancerNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies may lead to identification of more specific and sensitive biomarkers for HCC in HCV which can then be validated further in prospective clinical trials. ..
- Sex in Viral MyocarditisSally Huber; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies may provide new insights as to how viruses affect developing host defense responses and how hormones can modulate this initial response. ..
- Howard-CNMC Sickle Cell Disease Clinical CenterVictor Gordeuk; Fiscal Year: 2008..A major feature of both sickle cell programs has always been continuity of care and participation in collaborative research. ..
- Suppression of Hepatoma Cell Growth by CelecoxibKe Qin Hu; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HER2/neu and dietary fat: interactions in breast cancerLisa Yee; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Immunobiology of Heparin-Induced ThrombocytopeniaSuresh Shelat; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] (End of Abstract) [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PI3K in LPS-induced coagulation and inflammationJames Luyendyk; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, characterization of the involvement of this pathway in LPS-induced inflammation may allow for development of novel strategies that can be used to treat sepsis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Poly (ADP-Ribose) synthetase in expression of endotheliaBasilia Zingarelli; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- FATTY ACIDS AND PPARS IN BREAST CANCER PREVENTIONLisa Yee; Fiscal Year: 2005..Yee the training required to become an independent clinician scientist in the field of preventive oncology. ..
- Molecular mechanisms of pancreatic fibrogenesisBrent Neuschwander Tetri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accomplishing these aims will fill significant gaps in the understanding of chronic pancreatitis and this new knowledge may help identify effective treatment approaches to this disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Evaluation of an Abusive Head Trauma Prevention ProgramWendy Lane; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition rates of risk factors including poverty, teenage pregnancy, late prenatal care, low birth weight, and single parenthood among cases and controls will be compared. ..
- VACCINE EFFICACY IN CHILDREN WITH SICKLE CELL DISEASEThomas Adamkiewicz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Gene Expression in Leptin-Regulated PathwaysANTHONY FERRANTE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, the proposed project will provide him with new molecules and pathways to investigate, as he begins his independent career studying the molecular genetics of energy homeostasis and obesity. ..