Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of urate and unidentified products. It is a copper protein. The initial products decompose to form allantoin. EC 18.104.22.168.
Publications209 found, 100 shown here
- Efficacy and safety of rasburicase (recombinant urate oxidase) for the prevention and treatment of hyperuricemia during induction chemotherapy of aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of the GRAAL1 (Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte Trial on RBertrand Coiffier
Hematologie, CH Lyon Sud, 69495 Pierre Benite, France
J Clin Oncol 21:4402-6. 2003..This study was designed to evaluate the efficacy and the safety of rasburicase (recombinant urate oxidase) in adult patients with aggressive NHL during their first cycle of chemotherapy.
- Discovery of an alternate metabolic pathway for urea synthesis in adult Aedes aegypti mosquitoesPatricia Y Scaraffia
Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 0088, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:518-23. 2008..Ae. aegypti express all three genes in this pathway, namely, urate oxidase, allantoinase, and allantoicase...
- General base catalysis in the urate oxidase reaction: evidence for a novel Thr-Lys catalytic diadRebecca D Imhoff
Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Biochemistry 42:4094-100. 2003b>Urate oxidase catalyzes the oxidation of urate without the involvement of any cofactors. The gene encoding urate oxidase from Bacillus subtilis has been cloned and expressed, and the enzyme was purified and characterized...
- PEG-uricase in the management of treatment-resistant gout and hyperuricemiaMERRY R SHERMAN
Mountain View Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 3475 S Edison Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60:59-68. 2008..Unlike most mammals, humans lack the enzyme uricase (urate oxidase) that catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid to a more soluble product...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of intravenous PEGylated recombinant mammalian urate oxidase in patients with refractory goutJohn S Sundy
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Arthritis Rheum 56:1021-8. 2007To evaluate the efficacy, immunogenicity, and tolerability of intravenous (IV) PEGylated recombinant mammalian urate oxidase (PEG-uricase) for the treatment of severe gout.
- Loss of urate oxidase activity in hominoids and its evolutionary implicationsMasako Oda
Department of Biosystems Science, Graduate University for Advanced Studies SOKENDAI, Hayama, Kanagawa 240 0193, Japan
Mol Biol Evol 19:640-53. 2002We have determined and compared the promoter, coding, and intronic sequences of the urate oxidase (Uox) gene of various primate species...
- Two independent mutational events in the loss of urate oxidase during hominoid evolutionX W Wu
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030
J Mol Evol 34:78-84. 1992b>Urate oxidase was lost in hominoids during primate evolution. The mechanism and biological reason for this loss remain unknown...
- Structural and mechanistic studies of HpxO, a novel flavin adenine dinucleotide-dependent urate oxidase from Klebsiella pneumoniaeKatherine A Hicks
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Biochemistry 52:477-87. 2013HpxO is a flavin-dependent urate oxidase that catalyzes the hydroxylation of uric acid to 5-hydroxyisourate and functions in a novel pathway for purine catabolism found in Klebsiella pneumoniae...
- Complexed and ligand-free high-resolution structures of urate oxidase (Uox) from Aspergillus flavus: a reassignment of the active-site binding modePascal Retailleau
LURE, Centre Universitaire Paris Sud, Batiment 209d, BP 34, 91898 Orsay Cedex, France
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 60:453-62. 2004High-resolution X-ray structures of the complexes of Aspergillus flavus urate oxidase (Uox) with three inhibitors, 8-azaxanthin (AZA), 9-methyl uric acid (MUA) and oxonic acid (OXC), were determined in an orthorhombic space group (I222)...
- X-ray, ESR, and quantum mechanics studies unravel a spin well in the cofactor-less urate oxidaseLaure Gabison
LCRB, UMR 8015 CNRS, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Descartes, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Proteins 79:1964-76. 2011b>Urate oxidase (EC 22.214.171.124 or UOX) catalyzes the conversion of uric acid using gaseous molecular oxygen to 5-hydroxyisourate and hydrogen peroxide in absence of any cofactor or transition metal...
- Intrinsic reactivity of uric acid with dioxygen: Towards the elucidation of the catalytic mechanism of urate oxidaseMuhannad Altarsha
Theoretical Chemistry and Biochemistry Group, SRSMC, Nancy University, CNRS, F 54506 Vandoeuvre Les Nancy, France
Bioorg Chem 37:111-25. 2009b>Urate oxidase catalyzes the transformation of uric acid in 5-hydroxyisourate, an unstable compound which is latter decomposed into allantoïn...
- Characterization, stabilization and activity of uricase loaded in lipid vesiclesQ Y Tan
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Daping Hospital and Research Institute of Surgery, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400042, China
Int J Pharm 384:165-72. 2010..Lastly, in vitro study explicitly indicated that the uricase entrapped by UOXLVs possessed higher uricolytic activity than that of native uricase solution...
- SIRT5 deacetylates and activates urate oxidase in liver mitochondria of miceYasuhiko Nakamura
Department of Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
FEBS Lett 586:4076-81. 2012We identified urate oxidase (UOX) as a target of SIRT5 by comparing mitochondrial proteins in livers of SIRT5-overexpressing transgenic (SIRT5 Tg) and wild-type mice by using two-dimensional electrophoresis...
- Disrupted and transgenic urate oxidase alter urate and dopaminergic neurodegenerationXiqun Chen
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:300-5. 2013..is the end product of purine metabolism in humans, owing to the evolutionary disruption of the gene encoding urate oxidase (UOx). Elevated urate can cause gout and urolithiasis and is associated with cardiovascular and other diseases...
- X-ray scattering studies of Aspergillus flavus urate oxidase: towards a better understanding of PEG effects on the crystallization of large proteinsD Vivares
Laboratoire de Minéralogie Cristallographie, UMR 7590 CNRS, Universités Paris 6 Paris 7 IPG, case 115, 4 place Jussieu, F 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 58:472-9. 2002..The present study, by small-angle X-ray scattering, of urate oxidase from Aspergillus flavus, a homotetrameric enzyme of 128kDa, allowed the extension of the results to the ..
- Preliminary investigations on a new disposable potentiometric biosensor for uric acidCheng Wei Liao
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Chung Yuan Christian University, Taiwan 320, ROC
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:1401-8. 2006..Moreover, the recorded voltage was relatively constant during the first 28 days of measurement. Consequently, a potentiometric uric acid biosensor was realized with the advantages of low cost and simple fabrication...
- Biopharmaceutical properties of uricase conjugated to neutral and amphiphilic polymersP Caliceti
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padova, Via F Marzolo 5, 35131 Padova, Italy
Bioconjug Chem 10:638-46. 1999..7) Finally, all the enzyme forms slowly disposed in kidneys with higher levels for the poly(N-acryloilmorpholine) derivative (15% after 2880 min) and unmodified uricase (14% after 1440 min)...
- Purification and characterization of extracellular Pseudomonas aeruginosa urate oxidase enzymeHesham M Saeed
Institute for Graduate Studies and Research, University of Alexandria, Chatby 21526, Alexandria, Egypt
Pol J Microbiol 53:45-52. 2004b>Urate oxidase (uricase) was isolated and purified from Pseudomonas aeruginosa to apparent homogeneity using ammonium sulphate precipitation followed by ion exchange and gel filtration chromatography...
- Immunological properties of uricase conjugated to neutral soluble polymersP Caliceti
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padua, Via F Marzolo, 5 Padova, Italy
Bioconjug Chem 12:515-22. 2001....
- Pathogenesis of goutHyon K Choi
Arthritis Research Centre of Canada, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Ann Intern Med 143:499-516. 2005
- Generation of cDNA probes directed by amino acid sequence: cloning of urate oxidaseC C Lee
Institute for Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030
Science 239:1288-91. 1988b>Urate oxidase (E.C. 126.96.36.199) catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid to allantoin in most mammals except humans and certain primates...
- Structure-based characterization of canine-human chimeric uricases and its evolutionary implicationsChun Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, Newworld Institute of Biotechnology, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, PR China
Biochimie 94:1412-20. 2012..The loss of hominoid uricase should be caused by progressive multistep mutations rather than a single mutation event...
- Molecular characterization of the Drosophila melanogaster urate oxidase gene, an ecdysone-repressible gene expressed only in the malpighian tubulesL L Wallrath
Graduate Program in Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824
Mol Cell Biol 10:5114-27. 1990The urate oxidase (UO) gene of Drosophila melanogaster is expressed during the third-instar larval and adult stages, exclusively within a subset of cells of the Malpighian tubules...
- Characterization, efficacy, pharmacokinetics, and biodistribution of 5kDa mPEG modified tetrameric canine uricase variantChun Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, Newworld Institute of Biotechnology, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai 200237, PR China
Int J Pharm 430:307-17. 2012..Non-specific tissue distribution was observed after administration of (125)I-labeled mPEG-UHC in rats, and elimination by the kidneys into the urine is the primary excretion route...
- Treating gout with pegloticase, a PEGylated urate oxidase, provides insight into the importance of uric acid as an antioxidant in vivoMichael S Hershfield
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14351-6. 2010A high plasma urate concentration (PUA), related to loss of urate oxidase in evolution, is postulated to protect humans from oxidative injury...
- Degradation of low molecular weight uremic solutes by oral delivery of encapsulated enzymesJill A O'Loughlin
Center for Biomedical Engineering, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
ASAIO J 50:253-60. 2004..This is the first study using a combination of enzymes in a single delivery vehicle to degrade multiple uremic toxins...
- Site-specific incorporation of unnatural amino acids into urate oxidase in Escherichia coliMingjie Chen
School of Life Science and Technology, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, 210009, People s Republic of China
Protein Sci 17:1827-33. 2008b>Urate oxidase catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid with poor solubility to produce 5-hydroxyisourate and allantoin. Since allantoin is excreted in vivo, urate oxidase has the potential to be a therapeutic target for the treatment of gout...
- Effects of modification of amino groups with poly(ethylene glycol) on a recombinant uricase from Bacillus fastidiosusChun Zhang
Unit for Biotransformation and Protein Biotechnology, Chongqing Key Laboratory of Biochemical and Molecular Pharmacology, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing, China
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:1298-301. 2010..Thus, this uricase can be formulated via modification with monomethoxyl-poly(ethylene glycol)...
- Human urate oxidase gene: cloning and partial sequence analysis reveal a stop codon within the fifth exonA V Yeldandi
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 171:641-6. 1990Using the cDNA and selected genomic probes of rat urate oxidase, we have screened the human genomic library and isolated seven clones; one clone (clone 13) contained exonic regions which correspond to the exons 5, 6, and 7 of rat urate ..
- Completing the uric acid degradation pathway through phylogenetic comparison of whole genomesIleana Ramazzina
Dipartimento di Biochimica e Biologia Molecolare, Universita di Parma, 43100 Parma, Italy
Nat Chem Biol 2:144-8. 2006..Until recently, it had long been thought that urate oxidase was the only enzyme responsible for this conversion...
- Uricase formulated with polyethylene glycol (uricase-PEG 20): biochemical rationale and preclinical studiesJohn S Bomalaski
Department of Biology, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40506, USA
J Rheumatol 29:1942-9. 2002Humans have a non-sense codon inserted into the 5 prime end of the open reading frame of urate oxidase, and thus express an enzymatically inactive fragment of this enzyme; and consequently are unable to metabolize uric acid into ..
- Biochemical and biopharmaceutical properties of PEGylated uricaseDébora da Silva Freitas
Department of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Technology, Pharmaceutical Sciences School, University of Sao Paulo, Av Prof Lineu Prestes, Bloco 16, CEP 05508 000, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Int J Pharm 387:215-22. 2010..This indicates sufficient reduction of the immunogenicity this enzyme by mPEG-pNP or mPEG-CN conjugation, making it suitable for a possible therapeutical use...
- Characterization of a uricase from Bacillus fastidious A.T.C.C. 26904 and its application to serum uric acid assay by a patented kinetic uricase methodYunsheng Zhao
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Molecular Engineering, Chongqing University of Medical Sciences, Chongqing 400016, People s Republic of China
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 45:75-80. 2006..These results indicated that this kinetic uricase method using this uricase was reliable for serum uric acid assay with enhanced resistance to xanthine besides other common errors...
- Rasburicase represents a new tool for hyperuricemia in tumor lysis syndrome and in goutLisa Cammalleri
Dept of Senescence, Urological and Neurological Sciences, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Int J Med Sci 4:83-93. 2007..these consequences, a new therapeutic option is represented by rasburicase, a recombinant form of an enzyme, urate oxidase. This enzyme converts hypoxanthine and xanthine into allantoin, a more soluble molecule, easily cleared by ..
- Determination of urate in undiluted whole blood by enzyme electrodeF H Keedy
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Medical School, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Biosens Bioelectron 6:491-9. 1991..Electrode steady state and dynamic response were found to be dependent upon the amount of enzyme loading, and could be further optimised by the incorporation of catalase in the enzyme layer...
- Elitek-rasburicase: an effective means to prevent and treat hyperuricemia associated with tumor lysis syndrome, a Meeting Report, Dallas, Texas, January 2002P M Navolanic
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Leukemia 17:499-514. 2003..Allopurinol, a xanthine analogue, blocks xanthine oxidase and formation of uric acid. Urate oxidase converts uric acid to allantoin, which is 5-10 times more soluble than uric acid...
- Procatalytic ligand strain. Ionization and perturbation of 8-nitroxanthine at the urate oxidase active siteCharles Doll
Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Biochemistry 44:11440-6. 2005The binding of the inhibitor 8-nitroxanthine to urate oxidase has been investigated by Raman and UV-visible absorption spectroscopy...
- Protective effect of urate oxidase on uric acid induced-monocyte apoptosisValeria Bordoni
Department of Nephrology, San Bortolo Hospital, Vicenza, Italy
Curr Drug Discov Technol 2:29-36. 2005..Rasburicase is a new recombinant urate oxidase developed to prevent and treat hyperuricaemia in patients with cancer or renal failure; it degrades uric acid ..
- Pressure-response analysis of anesthetic gases xenon and nitrous oxide on urate oxidase: a crystallographic studyGuillaume Marassio
Equipe de Recherche Technologique Interne ERTi 1083, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, Centre Cyceron, Caen, France
FASEB J 25:2266-75. 2011..poorly known, we performed both crystallography under a large range of gas pressure and biochemical studies on urate oxidase, a prototype of globular gas-binding proteins whose activity is modulated by inert gases...
- Immobilization of uricase within polystyrene using polymaleimidostyrene as a stabilizer and its application to uric acid sensorXiuyun Wang
Department of Materials and Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Saitama Institute of Technology, 1690 Fusaiji Fukaya, Saitama 369 0293, Japan
Anal Chim Acta 587:41-6. 2007..The concentration of uric acid was determined at a negative potential based on the decrease in the reduction current of oxygen and the interference of l-ascorbic acid can be completely eliminated...
- Successful treatment with rasburicase of a tophaceous gout in a patient allergic to allopurinolPascal Richette
Department of Rheumatology, Centre Viggo Petersen, Lariboisiere Hospital, University Paris VII, France
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 2:338-42; quiz 343. 2006..She also had numerous small subcutaneous tophi in her hands. The patient was intolerant to allopurinol and had mild renal insufficiency attributed to uric-acid nephrolithiasis and interstitial nephropathy...
- Recombinant urate oxidase (rasburicase) for the prevention and treatment of tumor lysis syndrome in patients with hematologic malignanciesLin Yen Wang
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Haematol 115:35-8. 2006..In this multicenter, nonrandomized, open-label clinical trial conducted from July 2003 to July 2004, recombinant urate oxidase (rasburicase) was administered to patients at risk for tumor lysis syndrome before or during the initiation of ..
- An amperometric uric acid biosensor based on multiwalled carbon nanotube-gold nanoparticle compositeNidhi Chauhan
Department of Biochemistry, Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak, Haryana 124 001, India
Anal Biochem 413:97-103. 2011..A number of serum substances had practically no interference. The sensor was used in more than 200 assays and had a storage life of 120 days at 4°C...
- Improved performance of polyaniline-uricase biosensorKavita Arora
Biomolecular Electronics and Conducting Polymer Research Group, National Physical Laboratory, Dr K S Krishnan Marg, New Delhi 110012, India
Anal Chim Acta 594:17-23. 2007..These PANI-uricase electrodes can be used for about 30 times for electrochemical measurements while retaining about 90% of its activity indicating improved performance...
- Incidence of tumor lysis syndrome in children with advanced stage Burkitt's lymphoma/leukemia before and after introduction of prophylactic use of urate oxidaseW Wössmann
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Justus Liebig University, 35385 Giessen, Germany
Ann Hematol 82:160-5. 2003To evaluate the clinical benefit of the prophylactic use of urate oxidase in children with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL), we analyzed the incidence and complications of tumor lysis syndrome (TLS) in children with B-cell acute ..
- Modification of a reactive cysteine explains differences between rasburicase and Uricozyme, a natural Aspergillus flavus uricaseAlain Bayol
Analysis and Quality Control Unit, Sanofi Synthelabo Recherche, Innopole, Voie No 1, BP 137, 31676 Labège Cedex, France
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 36:21-31. 2002b>Urate oxidase is used in humans for the control of uric acid in patients receiving chemotherapy...
- An amperomertic uric acid biosensor based on immobilization of uricase onto polyaniline-multiwalled carbon nanotube composite filmManu Bhambi
Department of Biochemistry and Genetics, MD University, Rohtak, India
Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol 38:178-85. 2010..Efficiency of the present amperometric uric acid biosensor was validated by quantitative estimation of uric acid level in biological serum of healthy individuals and the persons suffering from hyperuricemia and gout...
- Rasburicase treatment in severe tophaceous gout: a novel therapeutic optionJ D Moolenburgh
Department of Rheumatology, Medical Centre Alkmaar, Wilhelminalaan 12, 1815JD Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Clin Rheumatol 25:749-52. 2006..In modern medicine, potent urate-debulking medication with urate oxidase (uricase) derivatives is at our disposal, and it is a challenge for rheumatologists to install the right ..
- A randomized comparison between rasburicase and allopurinol in children with lymphoma or leukemia at high risk for tumor lysisS C Goldman
Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at North Texas Hospital for Children at Medical City, Dallas, TX, USA
Blood 97:2998-3003. 2001..b>Urate oxidase catalyzes the enzymatic oxidation of uric acid to a 5 times increased urine soluble product, allantoin...
- Single-dose rasburicase 6 mg in the management of tumor lysis syndrome in adultsAnne M McDonnell
Department of Pharmacy Services, Medical University Hospital, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Pharmacotherapy 26:806-12. 2006..These results warrant further investigation of a single 6-mg dose of rasburicase in adults with TLS or at high-risk for developing TLS...
- Gout: on the brink of novel therapeutic options for an ancient diseaseJeffry D Bieber
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of California San Diego, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:2400-14. 2004
- Control of hyperuricemia in subjects with refractory gout, and induction of antibody against poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG), in a phase I trial of subcutaneous PEGylated urate oxidaseNancy J Ganson
Division of Rheumatology, Box 3049, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R12. 2006PEG-modified recombinant mammalian urate oxidase (PEG-uricase) is being developed as a treatment for patients with chronic gout who are intolerant of, or refractory to, available therapy for controlling hyperuricemia...
- Reduced-dose rasburicase (recombinant xanthine oxidase) in adult cancer patients with hyperuricemiaS Trifilio
Pharmacy Department, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 37:997-1001. 2006Recombinant urate oxidase (rasburicase) lowers uric acid levels rapidly to very low levels at the labeled dose of 0.15-0.2 mg/kg daily for 5 days...
- Production of a thermostable uricase by a novel Bacillus thermocatenulatus strainWalid A Lotfy
Microbiology Department, Faculty of Science, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
Bioresour Technol 99:699-702. 2008..Pretreated cane molasses and corn steep liquor were the most promising carbon and nitrogen sources, respectively. When the strain was cultured at 30 degrees C at pH 7.0 for 30-36h, the uricase activity peaked at 1.25U/ml...
- Update on emerging urate-lowering therapiesSaima Chohan
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Illinois, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 21:143-9. 2009..To discuss currently available urate-lowering therapeutic options for gout in the United States and newer therapeutic initiatives in development...
- Rasburicase prevents tumor lysis syndrome despite extreme hyperleukocytosisRobyn J Macfarlane
Dalhousie University Medical School, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 19:924-7. 2004..Rasburicase (recombinant urate oxidase) is very effective for the prophylaxis and treatment of hyperuricemia, but its efficacy in marked ..
- Purine-induced expression of urate oxidase and enzyme activity in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Cloning of urate oxidase liver cDNA from three teleost species and the African lungfish Protopterus annectensØivind Andersen
AKVAFORSK, Institute of Aquaculture Research AS, As, Norway
FEBS J 273:2839-50. 2006The peroxisomal enzyme urate oxidase plays a pivotal role in the degradation of purines in both prokaryotes and eukaryotes. However, knowledge about the purine-induced expression of the encoding gene is lacking in vertebrates...
- Efficacy and safety of rasburicase, a recombinant urate oxidase (Elitek), in the management of malignancy-associated hyperuricemia in pediatric and adult patients: final results of a multicenter compassionate use trialS Jeha
St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 3432 N Lauderdale, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Leukemia 19:34-8. 2005The recombinant urate oxidase, rasburicase (Elitek, Sanofi-Synthelabo, Inc.), has recently received regulatory approval for the prevention and treatment of hyperuricemia in children with leukemia, lymphoma, and solid tumors...
- Treatment and prevention of tumor lysis syndrome in children. Experience of Associazione Italiana Ematologia Oncologia PediatricaAndrea Pession
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Dipartimento di Scienze Pediatriche Mediche e Chirurgiche, Universita di Bologna, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Contrib Nephrol 147:80-92. 2005..Clinical trials have shown rasburicase, a recombinant urate oxidase to be more effective than allopurinol for the prevention and treatment of malignancy-associated hyperuricemia...
- Exclusion of urate oxidase as a candidate gene for hyperuricosuria in the Dalmatian dog using an interbreed backcrossN Safra
Department of Population Health and Reproduction, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Hered 96:750-4. 2005..Whereas high levels of uric acid are known to be caused by the silencing of the urate oxidase (uox) gene in humans and higher primates, the molecular basis for the Dalmatian defect is unknown...
- Transthyretin-related proteins function to facilitate the hydrolysis of 5-hydroxyisourate, the end product of the uricase reactionYoura Lee
Systemic Proteomics Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, 52 Oun Dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 333, South Korea
FEBS Lett 579:4769-74. 2005..Based on these results, we propose that transthyretin-related proteins present in diverse organisms are not functionally related to transthyretin but actually function as a hydroxyisourate hydrolase...
- An intraspecific gene duplication polymorphism of the urate oxidase gene of Drosophila virilis: a genetic and molecular analysisS Lootens
Genetics Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824
Mol Biol Evol 10:635-46. 1993..locations were examined by genetic and molecular analyses, revealing (a) 12 strains with a single copy of the urate oxidase (UO) gene per haploid genome and (b) 7 strains with a tandem duplication of the UO locus. The D...
- Urate oxidase from Aspergillus flavus: new crystal-packing contacts in relation to the content of the active sitePascal Retailleau
LURE, Centre Universitaire Paris Sud, Batiment 209d, BP 34, 91898 Orsay Cedex, France
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 61:218-29. 2005b>Urate oxidase from Aspergillus flavus (uricase or Uox; EC 188.8.131.52) is a 135 kDa homotetramer with a subunit consisting of 301 amino acids. It catalyses the first step of the degradation of uric acid into allantoin...
- A single dose of rasburicase is sufficient for the treatment of hyperuricemia in patients receiving chemotherapyChin Y Liu
Department of Pharmacy, Karmanos Cancer Institute Harper University Hospital, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Leuk Res 29:463-5. 2005..The levels remained below 4 mg/dL throughout the administration of chemotherapy for up to 96 h. Utilizing the guidelines resulted in a significant cost savings of 100,000 US dollars...
- Urate oxidase (rasburicase) for treatment of severe tophaceous goutBruno Vogt
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Inselspital, University of Berne, Freiburgstrasse 15, 3010, Berne, Switzerland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:431-3. 2005
- Recombinant urate oxidase (Rasburicase) for the treatment of hyperuricemia in pediatric patients with hematologic malignancies: Results of a compassionate prospective multicenter study in KoreaHee Young Shin
Department of Pediatrics, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Pediatr Blood Cancer 46:439-45. 2006..To confirm the efficacy of recombinant urate oxidase (rasburicase) and its safety profile, a phase IV compassionate use prospective study was performed in Korean ..
- Pharmacological treatment of acute renal failure in intensive care unit patientsDelphine Moreau
Medical Intensive Care Unit, CHU Gabriel Montpied, Clermont Ferrand, France
Contrib Nephrol 147:161-73. 2005..The purpose of this chapter is to review the pharmacological tools currently available and their optimal use in the treatment of patients admitted in intensive care unit with hyperuricemia and severe acute renal failure...
- Recombinant urate oxidase for the prophylaxis or treatment of hyperuricemia in patients With leukemia or lymphomaC H Pui
St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
J Clin Oncol 19:697-704. 2001..hyperuricemia in patients with leukemia or lymphoma, we tested a newly developed uricolytic agent, recombinant urate oxidase (SR29142; Rasburicase; Sanofi-Synthelabo, Inc, Paris, France), which catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid to ..
- Recombinant urate oxidase (rasburicase) in the prevention and treatment of malignancy-associated hyperuricemia in pediatric and adult patients: results of a compassionate-use trialC H Pui
St Jude Children's Research Hospital and the University of Tennessee, Memphis 38105, USA
Leukemia 15:1505-9. 2001To confirm the efficacy of recombinant urate oxidase (rasburicase) and to establish its safety profile, we reviewed the data on 173 children and 72 adults with malignancy who were treated with this new uricolytic agent in a compassionate-..
- Urate oxidase: primary structure and evolutionary implicationsX W Wu
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86:9412-6. 1989b>Urate oxidase, or uricase (EC 184.108.40.206), is a peroxisomal enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid to allantoin in most mammals. In humans and certain other primates, however, the enzyme has been lost by some unknown mechanism...
- Uric acid, hominoid evolution, and the pathogenesis of salt-sensitivitySusumu Watanabe
Division of Nephrology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Hypertension 40:355-60. 2002Humans have elevated serum uric acid as a result of a mutation in the urate oxidase (uricase) gene that occurred during the Miocene...
- Pan-European multicentre economic evaluation of recombinant urate oxidase (rasburicase) in prevention and treatment of hyperuricaemia and tumour lysis syndrome in haematological cancer patientsL Annemans
HEDM Health Economics and Disease Management, Brusselsesteenweg 91, 1860, Meise, Belgium
Support Care Cancer 11:249-57. 2003..The objective was to assess incremental cost-effectiveness ratios (ICER) of preventing/treating HU and TLS with recombinant urate oxidase, rasburicase (Fasturtec/Elitek).
- Recombinant urate oxidase for prevention of hyperuricemia and tumor lysis syndrome in lymphoid malignanciesRaul C Ribeiro
The Department of Hematology Oncology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
Clin Lymphoma 3:225-32. 2003..Rasburicase, a recombinant form of the enzyme urate oxidase, has recently become available and may further reduce the morbidity of hyperuricemia and TLS...
- High pressure macromolecular crystallography: the 140-MPa crystal structure at 2.3 A resolution of urate oxidase, a 135-kDa tetrameric assemblyNathalie Colloc'h
Centre Cyceron, UMR 6185 Université de Caen CNRS, Bd Becquerel, 14074 Caen, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1764:391-7. 2006..determined by high-pressure macromolecular crystallography (HPMX) of a 135-kDa homo-tetrameric enzyme, urate oxidase from Aspergillus flavus complexed with its potent inhibitor 8-azaxanthin...
- Hyperuricemia and urate nephropathy in urate oxidase-deficient miceX Wu
Institute for Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:742-6. 1994b>Urate oxidase, or uricase (EC 220.127.116.11), is a purine metabolic enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of uric acid to allantoin in most mammals except humans and certain other primates...
- Towards a new T-fold protein?: the coproporphyrinogen III oxidase sequence matches many structural features from urate oxidaseNathalie Colloc'h
Universite de Caen, CNRS UMR6551, Bd Henri Becquerel, BP5229, 14074 Caen Cedex, France
FEBS Lett 526:5-10. 2002b>Urate oxidase (UOX) and coproporphyrinogen III oxidase (CPO) are two unusual oxidases as they accomplish their catalytic act with no co-factor nor metal ion...
- Oxygen pressurized X-ray crystallography: probing the dioxygen binding site in cofactorless urate oxidase and implications for its catalytic mechanismNathalie Colloc'h
CI NAPS, UMR 6232 UCBN CNRS CEA, Centre Cyceron, 14074 Caen Cedex, France
Biophys J 95:2415-22. 2008..An application is given on urate oxidase (UOX), a cofactorless enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid to 5-hydroxyisourate in the presence of ..
- Recapture of [S]-allantoin, the product of the two-step degradation of uric acid, by urate oxidaseLaure Gabison
Laboratoire de Cristallographie et RMN Biologiques UMR 8015 CNRS, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris V, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
FEBS Lett 580:2087-91. 2006b>Urate oxidase from Aspergillus flavus catalyzes the degradation of uric acid to [S]-allantoin through 5-hydroxyisourate as a metastable intermediate...
- A colorimetric 96-well microtiter plate assay for the determination of urate oxidase activity and its kinetic parametersLaurent Fraisse
Biochemistry Unit, Sanofi Synthelabo Recherche, Innopole, Voie No 1, BP 137, 31676 Labège Cedex, France
Anal Biochem 309:173-9. 2002b>Urate oxidase (E.C.18.104.22.168; uricase, urate oxygen oxidoreductase) is an enzyme of the purine breakdown pathway that catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid in the presence of oxygen to allantoin and hydrogen peroxide...
- Urate-oxidase in the prevention and treatment of metabolic complications in patients with B-cell lymphoma and leukemia, treated in the Société Française d'Oncologie Pédiatrique LMB89 protocolC Patte
Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Ann Oncol 13:789-95. 2002....
- Urate oxidase in the prophylaxis or treatment of hyperuricemia: the United States experienceC H Pui
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and Department of Pediatrics, University of Tennessee, College of Medicine, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Semin Hematol 38:13-21. 2001Nonrecombinant urate oxidase (Uricozyme, Sanofi-SynthÃ©labo, Inc, Paris, France) is a highly effective uricolytic agent, but its use is associated with hypersensitivity reaction manifested mainly by bronchospasm in approximately 5% of ..
- European experience in the treatment of hyperuricemiaC Patte
Pediatric Oncology Department, Institut Gustave-Roussy, Villejuif, France
Semin Hematol 38:9-12. 2001The nonrecombinant form of urate oxidase has been routinely used in France since 1975 as standard practice in the initial management of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) and acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), and for prevention of tumor ..
- High-level expression, purification, and characterization of non-tagged Aspergillus flavus urate oxidase in Escherichia coliJianmin Li
State Key Laboratory of Pathogens and Biosecurity, Laboratory of Applied Molecular Biology, Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, 20 FengTai Dongdajie Street, Beijing 100071, PR China
Protein Expr Purif 49:55-9. 2006..A scalable process aimed to produce and purify multi-gram quantities of highly pure, recombinant urate oxidase (rUox) from E. coli was developed...
- The urate oxidase gene of Drosophila pseudoobscura and Drosophila melanogaster: evolutionary changes of sequence and regulationT B Friedman
Graduate Program in Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824
J Mol Evol 34:62-77. 1992The urate oxidase (UO) transcription unit of Drosophila pseudoobscura was cloned, sequenced, and compared to the UO transcription unit from Drosophila melanogaster...
- Catalase deficiency may complicate urate oxidase (rasburicase) therapyLászló Góth
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Molecular Pathology and Clinical Analytical Chemistry, Medical College, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Free Radic Res 41:953-5. 2007..Blood catalase activity should be measured for patients at risk of tumour lysis syndrome prior to uric acid oxidase treatment...
- Urate oxidase: single-turnover stopped-flow techniques for detecting two discrete enzyme-bound intermediatesPeter A Tipton
Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Methods Enzymol 354:310-9. 2002
- Modified high amylose starch for immobilization of uricase for therapeutic applicationJérôme Mulhbacher
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, C P 8888, Succ A, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3P8
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 36:163-70. 2002b>Urate oxidase (uricase) was immobilized on carboxymethyl high amylose starch cross-linked 35 (CM-HASCL-35), on aminoethyl high amylose starch cross-linked 35, as well as on commercial supports, CNBr-activated Sepharose and ..
- Newer therapeutic approaches: goutH Ralph Schumacher
Division of Rheumatology, Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 32:235-44, xii. 2006..New agents under investigation include pegylated formulations of uricase and a new potent xanthine oxidase inhibitor, febuxostat. Some cardiovascular drugs have been shown to be uricosuric...
- Rasburicase (recombinant urate oxidase) for the management of hyperuricemia in patients with cancer: report of an international compassionate use studyAndre Bosly
Cliniques Universitaires, Avenue Dr Therasse 1, B 5530 de Mont Godinne, Belgium
Cancer 98:1048-54. 2003..Rasburicase, a recombinant urate oxidase that converts uric acid (UA) into the soluble compound allantoin, has been shown to control hyperuricemia ..
- Rasburicase: a potent uricolytic agentChing Hon Pui
St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 N Lauderdale, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 3:433-42. 2002Rasburicase (Fasurtec, Elitek, Sanofi-Synthelabo) is a new recombinant urate oxidase developed for the prevention and treatment of hyperuricaemia...
- Hemolysis and methemoglobinemia secondary to rasburicase administrationLinda A Browning
Department of Pharmacy Services, Detroit Receiving Hospital, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI 48201 2403, USA
Ann Pharmacother 39:1932-5. 2005..To report a case of hemolytic anemia and methemoglobinemia developing after rasburicase administration to a patient with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency...
- Management of tumor lysis syndrome in adultsBertrand Coiffier
Centre Hospital Lyon Sud, Department of Hematology, 69310 Pierre Benite, France
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 7:233-9. 2007..Unlike allopurinol, urate oxidase promptly reduces the existing uric acid pool, prevents accumulation of xanthine and hypoxanthine and does not ..
- Diabetes insipidus in uricase-deficient mice: a model for evaluating therapy with poly(ethylene glycol)-modified uricaseS J Kelly
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 12:1001-9. 2001..PEG-uricase could provide an effective therapy for uric acid nephropathy and refractory gout in human patients...
- Recombinant urate oxidase (rasburicase) in the prophylaxis and treatment of tumor lysis syndromeSima Jeha
St Jude Children s Research Hospital and University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Contrib Nephrol 147:69-79. 2005..Unlike allopurinol, urate oxidase promptly reduces the existing uric acid pool, prevents accumulation of xanthine and hypoxanthine, and does not ..
- Tumor lysis syndrome: current perspectiveJessica Hochberg
Haematologica 93:9-13. 2008
- Genetic factors associated with gout and hyperuricemiaAnthony J Bleyer
Department of Internal Medicine, Section on Nephrology, The Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1053, USA
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 13:124-30. 2006....
- Recent developments in our understanding of the renal basis of hyperuricemia and the development of novel antihyperuricemic therapeuticsRobert Terkeltaub
San Diego VAMC Rheumatology Section, and University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 8:S4. 2006..For this reason, our discussion focuses on the development of the novel xanthine oxidase inhibitor febuxostat and modified recombinant uricase preparations...
- [How do we set the standard value of serum uric acid levels?]Toshihiro Hamada
Division of Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, Tottori University, Faculty of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 66:723-7. 2008..In contrast, hyperglycemia and excess salt ingestion are conductive to accelerate urate excretion. Physicians should notice representative factors fluctuating serum uric acid levels as described above...
- Is rasburicase an effective alternative to allopurinol for management of hyperuricemia in renal failure patients? A double blind-randomized studyS De Angelis
Division of Nephrology, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 11:179-84. 2007..Aim of our study was to assess the effect of low dosage of recombinant urate oxidase on hyperuricemia in renal failure patients that already receiving allopurinol...
- Population pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic analysis of pegloticase in subjects with hyperuricemia and treatment-failure goutCorinne Seng Yue
Universite de Montreal, Faculte de Pharmacie, Pavillon Jean Coutu, 2940 Chemin de la polytechnique, Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1J4 Canada
J Clin Pharmacol 48:708-18. 2008..No covariates affected pharmacodynamics. Simulation suggests pegloticase administered at 8 mg every 2 or 4 weeks as 2-hour intravenous infusions will maintain uric acid levels well under 6 mg/dL...
- Rasburicase for tophaceous gout not treatable with allopurinol: an exploratory studyPascal Richette
Universite Paris 7, UFR médicale, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Federation de rhumatologie, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
J Rheumatol 34:2093-8. 2007..2 mg/kg (monthly vs daily) in patients with tophaceous gout not treatable by allopurinol. Rasburicase could be useful for patients with gout that is unresponsive to allopurinol or who cannot tolerate the therapy...
- Role of urate in protecting mitochondrial function in the brainDavid K Simon; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Multiple inactivating mutations of the urate oxidase (UOx) gene of humans and apes account for our markedly elevated urate levels compared to all other mammals, and have been hypothesized to confer a ..
- Uric Acid and Hypertension in African-AmericansMark Segal; Fiscal Year: 2008..In Aim 3 we test the hypothesis that prevention of chlorthalidone induced hyperuricemia with allopurinol improves renal blood flow and GFR and prevents microalbumineria. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Endothelial Cell in Progressive Renal DiseaseRichard Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Nonablative AlloSCT in Refractory Autoimmune DiseaseMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- First Int'l Symposium on Childhood and Adolescent NHLMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF PURINE NUCLEOTIDE SYNTHESIS IN HUMANSMichael Becker; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUPYaddanapudi Ravindranath; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- A LYMPHOBLAST MODEL FOR DISEASES OF PURINE METABOLISMMichael Hershfield; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Preclinical Development of PEG-TNFJOHN BOMALASKI; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data from these studies will provide the final information enabling the filing of an IND with the FDA to support human Phase I clinical testing. ..
- MECHANISMS OF INTESTINAL IRON ABSORPTIONMatthias Hediger; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PEGylated Prolactin Receptor Antagonists as Cancer DrugsMERRY SHERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Tumor growth or shrinkage will be monitored non-invasively, using tumors derived from cells transfected to contain luciferase, in collaboration with Robert S. Negrin...
- Preclinical Development of Uricase-PEG 20JOHN BOMALASKI; Fiscal Year: 2002..uric acid levels (hyperuricemia) do not develop in most mammals because they have the gene which encodes urate oxidase which metabolizes the less soluble uric acid into a much more soluble metabolite, allantoin...
- ANK and Joint Ankylosis in SpondylitisRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will identify novel targets for enthesopathic bone fusion in spondyloarthritis. ..
- Chondrocyte S100/Calgranulins and RAGE in OsteoarthritisRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2009..Completion of the work will reveal new potential targets for therapeutic intervention in OA by disconnecting inflammation from deleterious alteration of chondrocyte differentiation and function. ..
- PTHRP 1 to 173 IN CHONDROCYTESRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2005..Completion of these studies will indicate not only how PTHrP 1-173 can modulate OA, but also how functional properties of the PTHrP 1-173 C-terminal 140-173 domain can be harnessed to promote cartilage repair. ..