Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme catalyzing the oxidation of 2 moles of glutathione in the presence of hydrogen peroxide to yield oxidized glutathione and water. EC 220.127.116.11.
Publications390 found, 100 shown here
- Antioxidant enzymes and human diseasesJ M Mates
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Malaga, Spain
Clin Biochem 32:595-603. 1999To describe the importance of the antioxidant enzymes superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, and catalase working together in human cells against toxic reactive oxygen species, their relationship with several pathophysiologic ..
- Glutathione peroxidase activity in selenium-deficient rat liverR A Lawrence
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 71:952-8. 1976
- Targeted mutation of the gene for cellular glutathione peroxidase (Gpx1) increases noise-induced hearing loss in miceK K Ohlemiller
Fay and Carl Simons Center for the Biology of Hearing and Deafness, Central Institute for the Deaf, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1:243-54. 2000..We examined whether genetically based deficiency of cellular glutathione peroxidase, a major antioxidant enzyme, increases noise-induced hearing loss in mice...
- An Arabidopsis glutathione peroxidase functions as both a redox transducer and a scavenger in abscisic acid and drought stress responsesYuchen Miao
Henan Key Laboratory of Plant Stress Biology, Department of Biology, Henan University, Kaifeng 475001, China
Plant Cell 18:2749-66. 2006....
- Role of selenium on calcium signaling and oxidative stress-induced molecular pathways in epilepsyMustafa Naziroglu
Department of Biophysics, Medical Faculty, Suleyman Demirel University, Morfoloji Binasi, Cunur, 32260 Isparta, Turkey
Neurochem Res 34:2181-91. 2009..drug therapies such as valproic acid, deplete the total body selenium level and selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) activity although therapy with a new epileptic drug, topiramate, activated GSH-Px activity in ..
- Increased infarct size and exacerbated apoptosis in the glutathione peroxidase-1 (Gpx-1) knockout mouse brain in response to ischemia/reperfusion injuryP J Crack
Centre for Functional Genomics and Human Disease, Monash Institute of Reproduction and Development, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Neurochem 78:1389-99. 2001b>Glutathione peroxidase is an antioxidant enzyme that is involved in the control of cellular oxidative state...
- Cellular glutathione peroxidase in human brain: cellular distribution, and its potential role in the degradation of Lewy bodies in Parkinson's disease and dementia with Lewy bodiesJohn H T Power
Department of Human Physiology, School of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA, 5042, Australia
Acta Neuropathol 117:63-73. 2009b>Glutathione peroxidase (GPx-1) is regarded as one of the mammalian cell's main antioxidant enzymes inactivating hydrogen peroxide and protecting against oxidative stress...
- Associations between GPX1 Pro198Leu polymorphism, erythrocyte GPX activity, alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk in a prospective cohort studyGitte Ravn-Haren
Department of Toxicology and Risk Assessment, Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research, Søborg, Denmark
Carcinogenesis 27:820-5. 2006..The purpose of the present nested case-control study was to determine whether GPX1 Pro198Leu and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) activity in prospectively collected blood samples are associated with breast cancer risk among ..
- Glutathione peroxidases in different stages of carcinogenesisRegina Brigelius-Flohe
Department Biochemistry of Micronutrients, German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam Rehbruecke, Arthur Scheunert Allee 114 116, D 14558 Nuthetal, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:1555-68. 2009..Metastasis, but also apoptosis, is inhibited by all GPxs. GPx-mediated regulation of COX/LOX activities may be relevant to early stages of inflammation-mediated carcinogenesis...
- Mice deficient in both Mn superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase-1 have increased oxidative damage and a greater incidence of pathology but no reduction in longevityYiqiang Zhang
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 15355 Lambda Drive, San Antonio, TX 78245, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 64:1212-20. 2009..deficiency in two mitochondrial-localized antioxidant enzymes, Mn superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) and glutathione peroxidase-1 (Gpx-1)...
- Glutathione peroxidase 1 activity and cardiovascular events in patients with coronary artery diseaseStefan Blankenberg
Department of Medicine II, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
N Engl J Med 349:1605-13. 2003Cellular antioxidant enzymes such as glutathione peroxidase 1 and superoxide dismutase have a central role in the control of reactive oxygen species...
- Genetic polymorphisms of superoxide dismutases, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase in age-related cataractYi Zhang
Eye Hospital, The First Affiliated Hospital, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Mol Vis 17:2325-32. 2011..Therefore, we investigate the possible association between polymorphisms of Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase (SOD1), catalase (CAT), and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) genes and age -related cataract development.
- Catalase and glutathione peroxidase mimicsBrian J Day
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Health, Departments of Medicine, Immunology and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 77:285-96. 2009..This review will focus on recent development of catalytic scavengers of peroxides and their potential use as therapeutic agents for pulmonary, cardiovascular, neurodegenerative and inflammatory disorders...
- Gene x Gene interaction between MnSOD and GPX-1 and breast cancer risk: a nested case-control studyDavid G Cox
Program in Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology, Epidemiology Department, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
BMC Cancer 6:217. 2006..Polymorphisms in the manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX-1) genes have been proposed as low penetrance alleles, and have not been clearly associated with ..
- The glutathione peroxidasesJ R Arthur
Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Cell Mol Life Sci 57:1825-35. 2000..Additionally, cellular glutathione peroxidase knockout mice have been used to investigate the functions of this protein...
- Tumor suppressor function of the plasma glutathione peroxidase gpx3 in colitis-associated carcinomaCaitlyn W Barrett
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Cancer Res 73:1245-55. 2013..The glutathione peroxidase GPX3 is the only extracellular member of this family, suggesting it may defend cells against ROS in the ..
- Lack of the antioxidant glutathione peroxidase-1 does not increase atherosclerosis in C57BL/J6 mice fed a high-fat dietJudy B de Haan
Oxidative Stress Group, Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
J Lipid Res 47:1157-67. 2006Oxidative stress is thought to contribute to the initiation and progression of atherosclerosis. As glutathione peroxidase-1 (Gpx1) is an antioxidant enzyme that detoxifies lipid hydroperoxides, we tested the impact of Gpx1 deficiency on ..
- A comparison of thiol peroxidase mechanismsLeopold Flohe
Otto von Guericke Universität and MOLISA GmbH, Magdeburg, Germany
Antioxid Redox Signal 15:763-80. 2011..Diversity combined with structural variability predestines thiol peroxidases for redox regulation via ROOH sensing and direct or indirect transduction of oxidant signals to specific protein targets...
- Antagonistic interactions between yeast [PSI(+)] and [URE3] prions and curing of [URE3] by Hsp70 protein chaperone Ssa1p but not by Ssa2pChristine Schwimmer
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Genetics, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0851, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:3590-8. 2002..Our data also suggest that differences in how [PSI(+)] and [URE3] interact with Hsp104 and Hsp70 may contribute to their antagonistic interactions...
- Glutathione peroxidase-1 in health and disease: from molecular mechanisms to therapeutic opportunitiesEdith Lubos
Department of Medicine II, University Medical Center, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Antioxid Redox Signal 15:1957-97. 2011..Left unchecked, these reactive species can cause oxidative damage to DNA, proteins, and membrane lipids. Glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPx-1) is an intracellular antioxidant enzyme that enzymatically reduces hydrogen peroxide to water to ..
- Glutathione peroxidases and redox-regulated transcription factorsRegina Brigelius-Flohe
German Institute of Human Nutrition, Potsdam Rehbrucke, Arthur Scheunert Allee 114 116, D 14558 Nuthetal, Germany
Biol Chem 387:1329-35. 2006..Redox sensing and redox regulation of metabolic events have become attractive paradigms to unravel the specific and in part still enigmatic roles of GPxs...
- Oxidative stress caused by inactivation of glutathione peroxidase and adaptive responsesYasuhide Miyamoto
Department of Biochemistry, Osaka University Medical School, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
Biol Chem 384:567-74. 2003..This review focuses on oxidative stress caused by the inactivation of glutathione peroxidase (GPx), a major peroxide scavenging enzyme...
- Daily rhythm of glutathione peroxidase activity, lipid peroxidation and glutathione levels in tissues of pinealectomized ratsGiyasettin Baydas
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig 213119, Turkey
Neurosci Lett 323:195-8. 2002..In the present study, we aimed to investigate the endogenous rhythm of antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) activity, oxidized glutathione (GSSG) and lipid peroxidation levels in tissues of pinealectomized ..
- Intracellular pro-oxidant activity of melatonin deprives U937 cells of reduced glutathione without affecting glutathione peroxidase activityMaria Cristina Albertini
Istituto di Chimica Biologica G Fornaini, Via Saffi 2, 61029 Urbino, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1091:10-6. 2006..The activity of glutathione peroxidase is not modified by melatonin treatment as it does occur in other experimental models.
- Measurement of superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase in cultured cells and tissueChristine J Weydert
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Nat Protoc 5:51-66. 2010..are described to measure the antioxidant enzyme activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase and glutathione peroxidase. The SODs convert superoxide radical into hydrogen peroxide and molecular oxygen, whereas the catalase and ..
- Methods of assessment of selenium status in humans: a systematic reviewKate Ashton
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, The University of East Anglia, Norwich, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 89:2025S-2039S. 2009..To understand the effect of selenium intake on health, it is important to identify sensitive and population-specific biomarkers of selenium status...
- GPX1 Pro198Leu polymorphism and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysisJia Hu
Department of Oncology, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, 168 Changhai Road, Shanghai, 200433, People s Republic of China
Breast Cancer Res Treat 124:425-31. 2010A genetic polymorphism at codon 198 in the human glutathione peroxidase 1 gene was reported to be associated with several cancers. However, this relationship remains controversial, especially in breast cancer...
- A thiol peroxidase is an H2O2 receptor and redox-transducer in gene activationAgnes Delaunay
Laboratoire Stress Oxydants et Cancers, SBGM, DBJC, CEA Saclay, 91191 Gif sur Yvette, Cedex, France
Cell 111:471-81. 2002..We show that Yap1 is not directly oxidized by hydroperoxide. We identified the glutathione peroxidase (GPx)-like enzyme Gpx3 as a second component of the pathway, serving the role of sensor and transducer of ..
- Protective effect of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE) administration on cisplatin-induced oxidative damage to liver in ratMustafa Iraz
Inonu University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Malatya, Turkey
Cell Biochem Funct 24:357-61. 2006..Liver tissue was removed to study the activities of catalase (CAT), superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), myeloperoxidase (MPO), xanthine oxidase (XO), adenosine deaminase (ADA), and the levels of ..
- Glutathione peroxidase 1 activity dictates the sensitivity of glioblastoma cells to oxidative stressIvana Dokic
INSERM U701, German Cancer Research Centre, Program Infection and Cancer, INF 242, Heidelberg, Germany
Glia 60:1785-800. 2012..species (ROS/RNS) detoxification mechanisms include superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, and glutathione peroxidase (GPx)...
- Aorta of ApoE-deficient mice responds to atherogenic stimuli by a prelesional increase and subsequent decrease in the expression of antioxidant enzymesPeter A C 't Hoen
Division of Biopharmaceutics of the Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden, The Netherlands
Circ Res 93:262-9. 2003..The expression of catalase-1 and various isoforms of superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, and glutathione S-transferase alpha was significantly increased in the aortic arch, but not in the ..
- Aging decreases expression and activity of glutathione peroxidase-1 in human endothelial progenitor cellsTongrong He
Department of Anesthesiology and Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Microvasc Res 78:447-52. 2009..In EPCs of old subjects, the levels of glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPX1) protein and enzymatic activity were significantly reduced...
- Glutathione peroxidase-2 and selenium decreased inflammation and tumors in a mouse model of inflammation-associated carcinogenesis whereas sulforaphane effects differed with selenium supplySusanne Krehl
Department of Biochemistry of Micronutrients, German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam Rehbruecke, Arthur Scheunert Allee 114 116, D 14558 Nuthetal, Germany
Carcinogenesis 33:620-8. 2012..Similarly, SFN requires selenium but not GPx2 for being protective...
- Expression, characterization, and tissue distribution of a new cellular selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase, GSHPx-GIF F Chu
Department of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics Research, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, California 91010
J Biol Chem 268:2571-6. 1993We have characterized a new selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase, GSHPx-GI, by expressing a GSHPx-GI cDNA isolated from human hepatoma HepG2 cells in human mammary carcinoma MCF-7 cells, which have virtually undetectable expression ..
- Regulation of antioxidant enzymes: a significant role for melatoninCarmen Rodriguez
Departamento de Morfologia y Biologia Celular, Facultad de Medicina, c Julian Claveria, Oviedo, Spain
J Pineal Res 36:1-9. 2004..which document the influence of melatonin on the activity and expression of the antioxidative enzymes glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutases and catalase both under physiological and under conditions of elevated oxidative ..
- Mice with combined disruption of Gpx1 and Gpx2 genes have colitisR S Esworthy
Department of Medical Oncology, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 281:G848-55. 2001b>Glutathione peroxidase (GPX)-1 and gastrointestinal (GI) epithelium-specific GPX (GPX-GI), encoded by Gpx1 and Gpx2, provide most GPX activity in GI epithelium...
- A yeast-based assay to isolate drugs active against mammalian prionsStephane Bach
CNRS, Station Biologique, UPS2682, Place G Teissier, 29680 Roscoff, Bretagne, France
Methods 39:72-7. 2006..These results strongly argue in favor of common prion controlling mechanisms conserved in eukaryotes, thus validating our yeast-based assay and also the use of budding yeast to identify antiprion compounds and to study the prion world...
- Genetic polymorphisms in the human selenoprotein P gene determine the response of selenoprotein markers to selenium supplementation in a gender-specific manner (the SELGEN study)Catherine Méplan
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences and Human Nutrition Research Centre, The Medical School, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH UK
FASEB J 21:3063-74. 2007..Plasma Se, SePP, and glutathione peroxidase 3 (GPx3) levels increased with supplementation...
- Mice deficient in cellular glutathione peroxidase develop normally and show no increased sensitivity to hyperoxiaY S Ho
Institute of Chemical Toxicology and Department of Biochemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 272:16644-51. 1997b>Glutathione peroxidase, a selenium-containing enzyme, is believed to protect cells from the toxicity of hydroperoxides...
- Controlled elimination of intracellular H(2)O(2): regulation of peroxiredoxin, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase via post-translational modificationSue Goo Rhee
Laboratory of Cell Signaling, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 7:619-26. 2005..Similarily, GPx1 is activated by c-Abl- and Arg-mediated phosphorylation. The tyrosine phosphorylation is critical for ubiquitination-dependent degradation of catalase...
- Mice with a homozygous null mutation for the most abundant glutathione peroxidase, Gpx1, show increased susceptibility to the oxidative stress-inducing agents paraquat and hydrogen peroxideJ B de Haan
Molecular Genetics and Development Group, Institute of Reproduction and Development, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
J Biol Chem 273:22528-36. 1998....
- Glutathione peroxidase-deficient mice are more susceptible to neutrophil-mediated hepatic parenchymal cell injury during endotoxemia: importance of an intracellular oxidant stressH Jaeschke
Department of Pharmacology, Pharmacia and Upjohn, Inc, Kalamazoo, MI, USA
Hepatology 29:443-50. 1999..In glutathione peroxidase-deficient mice (Gpx1(-/-)), Gal/ET or Gal/tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) caused more severe ..
- Plasma lipid peroxidation and antioxidant levels in patients with rheumatoid arthritisAyhan Kamanli
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical Faculty, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Cell Biochem Funct 22:53-7. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate plasma concentrations of vitamin E, beta-carotene, activities of glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) and catalase, levels of lipid peroxidation (MDA) and reduced glutathione (GSH) in 36 patients ..
- Glutathione peroxidase family - an evolutionary overviewRogerio Margis
Centro de Biotecnologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
FEBS J 275:3959-70. 2008..Some glutathione peroxidase isozymes have a selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase activity and present a selenocysteine encoded by ..
- Resveratrol reduces endothelial oxidative stress by modulating the gene expression of superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1), glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPx1) and NADPH oxidase subunit (Nox4)G Spanier
Department of Pharmacology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Physiol Pharmacol 60:111-6. 2009..are the predominant producers of superoxide in the vasculature, whereas superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPx1) are the major enzymes responsible for the inactivation of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide, ..
- Low antioxidant enzyme gene expression in pancreatic islets compared with various other mouse tissuesS Lenzen
Institute of Clinical Biochemistry, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 20:463-6. 1996..Northern blot hybridization technique, gene expression of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, and glutathione peroxidase was studied in pancreatic islets and for comparison in various other mouse tissues (liver, kidney, brain, ..
- A role for glutathione peroxidase in protecting pancreatic beta cells against oxidative stress in a model of glucose toxicityYoshito Tanaka
Pacific Northwest Research Institute and the Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 98122, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12363-8. 2002..shown to increase intracellular oxidant load in islets, nor have the effects of increasing or inhibiting glutathione peroxidase (GPx) activity on islet resistance to sugar-induced oxidant stress been studied...
- Lack of the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase-1 accelerates atherosclerosis in diabetic apolipoprotein E-deficient micePaul Lewis
Oxidative Stress Group, JDRF Diabetes and Metabolism Division, Baker Heart Research Institute, PO Box 6492, St Kilda Rd Central, Melbourne, VIC 8008, Australia
Circulation 115:2178-87. 2007Recent clinical studies have suggested a major protective role for the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPx1) in diabetes-associated atherosclerosis...
- Aberrant expression of selenoproteins in the progression of colorectal cancerYoshiyuki Murawaki
Division of Medicine and Clinical Science, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Japan
Cancer Lett 259:218-30. 2008..cancer, the aim of the present study is to clarify the role of antioxidant seleonoproteins including glutathione peroxidase (GPx), thioredoxin reductase (TXR) and selenoprotein P (SePP), and the effect of oxidative stress on the ..
- The effect of whole-body cryostimulation on the prooxidant-antioxidant balance in blood of elite kayakers after trainingAlina Wozniak
Collegium Medicum, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Department and Clinic of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology, Karłowicza 24, 85 092, Bydgoszcz, Poland
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:533-7. 2007..001) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx) by 68% (P<0...
- Chronic oxidative stress as a mechanism for glucose toxicity of the beta cell in type 2 diabetesR Robertson
Pacific Northwest Research Institute, Seattle, WA, USA
Cell Biochem Biophys 48:139-46. 2007..These observations suggest that the ancillary treatment with antioxidants may improve outcomes of standard therapy of type 2 diabetes in humans...
- Cytosolic glutathione peroxidase from liver of pacu (Piaractus mesopotamicus), a hypoxia-tolerant fish of the PantanalV L F Cunha Bastos
Department of Biochemistry, UERJ, Av Professor Manuel de Abreu, 444, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Biochimie 89:1332-42. 2007..Accordingly, we found that cytosol from liver of pacu has the highest antioxidant glutathione peroxidase activity so far reported for fish and murine species...
- Nucleotide exchange factors for Hsp70s are required for [URE3] prion propagation in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeDmitry Kryndushkin
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Genetics, National Institute of Diabetes Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0830, USA
Mol Biol Cell 18:2149-54. 2007..Sse1p and Fes1p are nucleotide exchange factors for Ssa1p. Interestingly, deletion of either SSE1 or FES1 completely blocked [URE3] propagation. In addition, deletion of SSE1 also interfered with [PSI(+)] propagation...
- Bacteria-induced intestinal cancer in mice with disrupted Gpx1 and Gpx2 genesFong Fong Chu
Department of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics Research, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, California, USA
Cancer Res 64:962-8. 2004Two glutathione peroxidase (GPX) isozymes, GPX-1 and GPX-2 (GPX-GI), are the major enzymes that reduce hydroperoxides in intestinal epithelium...
- Epithelium-specific glutathione peroxidase, Gpx2, is involved in the prevention of intestinal inflammation in selenium-deficient miceR Steven Esworthy
Department of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics Research, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, CA 91010 3000, USA
J Nutr 135:740-5. 2005..The results show that a trace amount of Gpx2 is protective against ileocolitis, and Se-deficient young Gpx1(+/-)Gpx2(-/-) mice will develop pathology and symptoms similar to Se-adequate Gpx1(-/-)Gpx2(-/-) mice...
- Role of glutathione peroxidase 1 in breast cancer: loss of heterozygosity and allelic differences in the response to seleniumYa Jun Hu
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Cancer Res 63:3347-51. 2003A role for allelic variation within the gene for the antioxidant selenoprotein glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPx-1) in the risk or etiology of breast cancer was investigated...
- Scrambled prion domains form prions and amyloidEric D Ross
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Genetics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0830, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:7206-13. 2004....
- Effects of estrogens and androgens on erythrocyte antioxidant superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase activities during the menstrual cycleC Massafra
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
J Endocrinol 167:447-52. 2000..changes in estrogens and androgens on the erythrocyte antioxidant superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase enzyme activities during the menstrual cycle were investigated in healthy eumenorrheic women...
- Glutathione peroxidase 7 protects against oxidative DNA damage in oesophageal cellsDunfa Peng
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Gut 61:1250-60. 2012..This study investigated the functions of glutathione peroxidase 7 (GPX7), frequently silenced in OAC, and its capacity in regulating ROS and its associated oxidative DNA ..
- Rapeseed oil fortified with micronutrients reduces atherosclerosis risk factors in rats fed a high-fat dietJiqu Xu
Oil Crops Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Wuhan, PR China
Lipids Health Dis 10:96. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of rapeseed oil fortified with these micronutrients on the atherosclerosis risk factors in rats fed a high-fat diet...
- Whole-body cryostimulation in kayaker women: a study of the effect of cryogenic temperatures on oxidative stress after the exerciseC Mila-Kierzenkowska
Department of Medical Biology, Collegium Medicum, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Bydgoszcz, Poland
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 49:201-7. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of whole-body cryostimulation on the activity of selected antioxidant enzymes and the concentration of lipid peroxidation products in kayaker women in the course of training...
- Eukaryotic initiation factor 4a3 is a selenium-regulated RNA-binding protein that selectively inhibits selenocysteine incorporationMichael E Budiman
Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Mol Cell 35:479-89. 2009..Our results support a model in which eIF4a3 links selenium status with differential selenoprotein expression...
- Associations between glutathione peroxidase-1 Pro198Leu polymorphism, selenium status, and DNA damage levels in obese women after consumption of Brazil nutsCristiane Cominetti
Department of Food and Experimental Nutrition, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nutrition 27:891-6. 2011..The Pro198Leu polymorphism at the glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPx1) gene is supposed to be functional...
- Molecular consequences of genetic variations in the glutathione peroxidase 1 selenoenzymePin Zhuo
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Cancer Res 69:8183-90. 2009Accumulating data have implicated the selenium-containing cytosolic glutathione peroxidase, GPx-1, as a determinant of cancer risk and a mediator of the chemopreventive properties of selenium...
- Redox homeostasis, antioxidant defense, and methylglyoxal detoxification as markers for salt tolerance in Pokkali riceHattem El-Shabrawi
Plant Molecular Biology, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology ICGEB, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi, 110 067, India
Protoplasma 245:85-96. 2010..In addition, status of reactive oxygen species and oxidative DNA damage can serve as a quick and sensitive biomarker for screening against salt and other abiotic stresses in crop plants...
- 12/15-lipoxygenase-derived lipid peroxides control receptor tyrosine kinase signaling through oxidation of protein tyrosine phosphatasesMarcus Conrad
Helmholtz Center Munich, Institute of Clinical Molecular Biology and Tumor Genetics, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:15774-9. 2010..This study demonstrates that increases in cellular lipid peroxides, induced by disruption of glutathione peroxidase 4, induce cellular PTP oxidation and reduce the activity of PDGF receptor targeting PTPs...
- The Mn-superoxide dismutase single nucleotide polymorphism rs4880 and the glutathione peroxidase 1 single nucleotide polymorphism rs1050450 are associated with aging and longevity in the oldest oldMette Soerensen
Danish Aging Research Center, Epidemiology, Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, J B Winsloews Vej 9B, 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Mech Ageing Dev 130:308-14. 2009..The rs4880 and rs1050450 SNPs in the manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) and glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPX1) genes, respectively, are associated with age-related diseases and appear to affect the activities ..
- Functional and physical interaction between the selenium-binding protein 1 (SBP1) and the glutathione peroxidase 1 selenoproteinWenfeng Fang
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Carcinogenesis 31:1360-6. 2010..Another selenium-containing protein, glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPX1), has been associated with cancer risk and development...
- Mechanism of protective effects of Danshen against iron overload-induced injury in miceYonggang Gao
Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medicine, Hebei Medical University, 326, Xinshi South Road, Shijiazhuang, 050091 Hebei, China
J Ethnopharmacol 145:254-60. 2013..Danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza) has been widely prescribed in traditional folk medicine for treatment of hepatic and cardiovascular diseases in China and other Asian countries for several hundred years...
- Diphenyl ditelluride targets brain selenoproteins in vivo: inhibition of cerebral thioredoxin reductase and glutathione peroxidase in mice after acute exposureBruna Comparsi
Departamento de Quimica, Centro de Ciencias Naturais e Exatas, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Mol Cell Biochem 370:173-82. 2012..cerebral antioxidant enzymes (catalase (CAT), superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione reductase (GR), glutathione peroxidase (GPx), and thioredoxin reductase (TrxR)...
- The involvement of Arabidopsis glutathione peroxidase 8 in the suppression of oxidative damage in the nucleus and cytosolAhmed Gaber
Department of Advanced Bioscience, Kinki University, 3327 204 Nakamachi, Nara, 631 8505 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 53:1596-606. 2012A family of eight genes with homology to mammalian glutathione peroxidase (GPX) isoenzymes, designated AtGPX1-AtGPX8, has been identified in Arabidopsis thaliana...
- Selenium status highly regulates selenoprotein mRNA levels for only a subset of the selenoproteins in the selenoproteomeRoger A Sunde
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Biosci Rep 29:329-38. 2009Gpx (glutathione peroxidase)-1 enzyme activity and mRNA levels decrease dramatically in Se (selenium) deficiency, whereas other selenoproteins are less affected by Se deficiency...
- Protective role of selenium against renal toxicity induced by cadmium in ratsA S el-Sharaky
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
Toxicology 235:185-93. 2007..a significant decrease in the antioxidant systems such as reduced glutathione levels and the activities of glutathione peroxidase (GPx) and thioredoxin reductase (TrxR)...
- Glutathione peroxidase 4 senses and translates oxidative stress into 12/15-lipoxygenase dependent- and AIF-mediated cell deathAlexander Seiler
Institute of Clinical Molecular Biology and Tumor Genetics, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen German Research Center for Environmental Health, Marchioninistrasse 25, 81377 Munich, Germany
Cell Metab 8:237-48. 2008..oxidation of essential biomolecules, we now demonstrate that oxidative stress is sensed and transduced by glutathione peroxidase 4 (GPx4) into a-yet-unrecognized cell-death pathway...
- Antioxidant effect of trans-resveratrol in cultured human retinal pigment epithelial cellsAdela Pintea
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine, Cluj Napoca, Romania
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 27:315-21. 2011..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the potential protective effect of resveratrol against hydrogen peroxide induced oxidative stress in cultured human RPE cells...
- Absence of glutathione peroxidase-1 exacerbates cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury by reducing post-ischemic microvascular perfusionConnie H Y Wong
Centre for Functional Genomics and Human Disease, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
J Neurochem 107:241-52. 2008Mice deficient in the anti-oxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase-1 (Gpx1) have a greater susceptibility to cerebral injury following a localized ischemic event...
- Salidroside promotes erythropoiesis and protects erythroblasts against oxidative stress by up-regulating glutathione peroxidase and thioredoxinErin Wei Qian
Department of Biochemistry, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
J Ethnopharmacol 133:308-14. 2011..Rhodiola rosea is commonly used in China and Tibet folk medicine for the treatment of high altitude sickness, anoxia and mountain malhypoxia...
- Oxidative stress markers in bipolar disorder: a meta-analysisAna C Andreazza
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Affect Disord 111:135-44. 2008..In the present investigation, we conducted a meta-analysis of studies that evaluated markers of oxidative stress in individuals with BD, as compared to healthy controls...
- Decreased selenium-binding protein 1 enhances glutathione peroxidase 1 activity and downregulates HIF-1α to promote hepatocellular carcinoma invasivenessCheng Huang
Liver Cancer Institute, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Clin Cancer Res 18:3042-53. 2012..We aimed to characterize the role of selenium-binding protein 1 (SBP1) in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) invasiveness and underlying clinical significance...
- Effect of short-term cryostimulation on antioxidative status and its clinical applications in humansElzbieta Miller
Rehabilitation Ward, III General Hospital in Lodz, Milionowa 14, Lodz, Poland
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:1645-52. 2012..001). It was concluded that expositions to extremely low temperatures use in cryostimulation improve the antioxidant capacity of organism...
- Deficiency of glutathione peroxidase-1 accelerates the progression of atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient miceMichael Torzewski
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Johannes Gutenberg University, 55101 Mainz, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:850-7. 2007We have recently demonstrated that activity of red blood cell glutathione peroxidase-1 is inversely associated with the risk of cardiovascular events in patients with coronary artery disease...
- Role of glutathione peroxidase in protecting mammalian spermatozoa from loss of motility caused by spontaneous lipid peroxidationJ G Alvarez
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104 6080
Gamete Res 23:77-90. 1989..The enhancement of lipid peroxidation, the rate of reaction of H2O2 with the cells, the activity of sperm glutathione peroxidase, and the endogenous glutathione content are highest in mouse sperm, intermediate in human sperm, and very ..
- Mice deficient in cellular glutathione peroxidase show increased vulnerability to malonate, 3-nitropropionic acid, and 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,5,6-tetrahydropyridineP Klivenyi
Neurology Service, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Neurosci 20:1-7. 2000b>Glutathione peroxidase (GSHPx) is a critical intracellular enzyme involved in detoxification of hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) to water...
- HIV-1 gp120-induced injury to the blood-brain barrier: role of metalloproteinases 2 and 9 and relationship to oxidative stressJean Pierre Louboutin
Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 69:801-16. 2010..Prior administration of rSV40 vectors carrying the antioxidant enzymes Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase or glutathione peroxidase protected from gp120-induced BBB damage...
- Antioxidant enzyme activities and oxidative stress in affective disordersM Erkan Ozcan
Department of Psychiatry, Inonu University Medical School, Malatya, Turkey
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 19:89-95. 2004..For this purpose, we measured superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) and catalase (CAT) activities, as well as malondialdehyde (MDA) and nitric oxide (NO) levels in ..
- Functional effects of a common single-nucleotide polymorphism (GPX4c718t) in the glutathione peroxidase 4 gene: interaction with sexCatherine Méplan
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, The Medical School, Newcastle University, Newcastle, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1019-27. 2008..Selenium is present as selenocysteine in selenoproteins such as the glutathione peroxidases (GPx). Selenocysteine incorporation requires specific structures in the 3'untranslated region (3'UTR) of selenoprotein mRNAs...
- Effects of organic and inorganic selenium supplementation on selenoenzyme activity in blood lymphocytes, granulocytes, platelets and erythrocytesK M Brown
Rowett Research Institute, Division of Micronutrient and Lipid Metabolism, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, U K
Clin Sci (Lond) 98:593-9. 2000..organic selenomethionine and inorganic sodium selenite (50 microg of Se daily for 28 days) in modulating glutathione peroxidase activities in blood cells from 45 healthy men and women, from a U.K. population...
- Antioxidant status in the serum of persons with intellectual disability and hypothyroidism: a pilot studyEli Carmeli
Department of Physical Therapy, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Res Dev Disabil 29:431-8. 2008..The following antioxidative defense were examined: superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), and glutathione reductase (GR) as well as two biochemical parameters creatinine and albumin...
- Effectiveness of selenium supplements in a low-selenium area of ChinaYiming Xia
Institute of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Beijing, China
Am J Clin Nutr 81:829-34. 2005..Although there is no evidence of selenium deficiency in the United States, people in many other areas of the world are selenium deficient, with the consequence that they are unable to express their selenoproteins fully...
- Zerumbone, a tropical ginger sesquiterpene, activates phase II drug metabolizing enzymesYoshimasa Nakamura
Laboratory of Food and Biodynamics, Nagoya University Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
FEBS Lett 572:245-50. 2004..of several Nrf2/ARE-dependent phase II enzyme genes, including gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase, glutathione peroxidase, and hemeoxygenase-1...
- Inflammatory response and glutathione peroxidase in a model of strokeNobuya Ishibashi
Department of Biochemistry, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, and Neurotoxicology Laboratories, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Immunol 168:1926-33. 2002..damage observed in transgenic mice overexpressing human antioxidant enzymes (particularly intracellular glutathione peroxidase) involves the modulation of inflammatory response as well as reduced sensitivity of neurons to cytotoxic ..
- Assessment of requirements for selenium and adequacy of selenium status: a reviewC D Thomson
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:391-402. 2004..From this evidence, attempts have been made to define levels of plasma selenium and dietary selenium intake, which could be used for the assessment of deficiency or adequacy of selenium status...
- Induction of oxidative stress by bisphenol A in the epididymal sperm of ratsK C Chitra
School of Life Sciences, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry 605 014, India
Toxicology 185:119-27. 2003..The activities of superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione reductase and glutathione peroxidase were decreased while the levels of H(2)O(2) and lipid peroxidation increased significantly in the treated ..
- Catalytic mechanisms and specificities of glutathione peroxidases: variations of a basic schemeStefano Toppo
Department of Biological Chemistry, Viale G Colombo, 3, University of Padova, I 35121 Padova, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:1486-500. 2009..Heterodimer formation of yeast GPx with a transcription factor is discussed as paradigm of a redox sensing that might also be valid in vertebrates...
- Importance of the Hsp70 ATPase domain in yeast prion propagationHarriet M Loovers
Department of Biology, National University of Ireland, Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland
Genetics 175:621-30. 2007..Analysis of the effects of Hsp70 mutants upon propagation of a second yeast prion [URE3] further classifies these mutants as having general or prion-specific inhibitory properties...
- Is the prion domain of soluble Ure2p unstructured?Michael M Pierce
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Genetics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0830, USA
Biochemistry 44:321-8. 2005..These results suggest that the N-terminal prion domain is unstructured in the soluble protein and does not have a specific interaction with the C-terminus...
- Increased expression of glutathione peroxidase 4 strongly protects retina from oxidative damageLili Lu
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 9277, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 11:715-24. 2009..In contrast, RPE cells with increased expression of glutathione peroxidase 1 (Gpx1) or Gpx4 did not show an increase in constitutive oxidative damage...
- Promoter polymorphisms in the plasma glutathione peroxidase (GPx-3) gene: a novel risk factor for arterial ischemic stroke among young adults and childrenBarbara Voetsch
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute and Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Stroke 38:41-9. 2007Plasma glutathione peroxidase (GPx-3)-deficiency increases extracellular oxidant stress, decreases bioavailable nitric oxide, and promotes platelet activation...
- A probable causative factor for an old problem: selenium and glutathione peroxidase appear to play important roles in epilepsy pathogenesisMahmoud Reza Ashrafi
Children s Medical Center, Department of Pediatric Neurology, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Epilepsia 48:1750-5. 2007..Se) and selenoproteins against oxidative damage and the ability to promote neuronal cell survival, we compared serum selenium level and red blood cell Glutathione peroxidase activity (RBC GPx) between epileptic and healthy children.
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in non-metastatic prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasiaAhmet Aydin
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Department of Toxicology, 06018 Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Biochem 39:176-9. 2006..We undertook the present study to investigate the possible alteration of oxidant/antioxidant status in the circulation of patients with prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Selenium and high dose vitamin E administration protects cisplatin-induced oxidative damage to renal, liver and lens tissues in ratsMustafa Naziroglu
Department of Physiology, Veterinary Faculty, Firat University, TR 23119, Elazig, Turkey
Toxicology 195:221-30. 2004..b>Glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), vitamin E and beta-carotene levels in the kidney, lens and liver, vitamin A and reduced ..
- Arsenic Trioxide and Acute Myeloid LeukemiaYongkui Jing; Fiscal Year: 2012..ROS generated as a byproduct of mitochondrial respiration are detoxified by glutathione-enzymes, glutathione peroxidase (GPx), glutathione-s-transferase ? (GST?) and glutathione reductase (GR)...
- The Effects of PP2A on TNF Signaling and Smoke-Induced Lung InjuryRobert F Foronjy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Further studies in our laboratory demonstrate that the transgenic expression of human SOD1 and glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPX1) decreases JNK activation and AP-1 signaling within the lungs of mice...
- Targeted investigation of tissue specific oxidative stress in the etiology of ALSHolly Van Remmen; Fiscal Year: 2013..lipid hydroperoxides, a conditional knockout mouse carrying floxed alleles for phospholipid hydroperoxide glutathione peroxidase (Gpx4flfl mice). Gpx4 plays a critical role in protecting membranes by removal of lipid hydroperoxides...
- Timing of Exposure to Selenium and Isoflavones and Prostate Cancer PreventionEDWIN DOUGLAS LEPHART; Fiscal Year: 2010..Se-dependent glutathione peroxidase and 5alpha-reductase activities will be assayed. AR and NF-:B activation will be determined by EMSA...
- Molecular Epidemiology of Chronic Liver DiseasesManal Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., catalase, glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutases, TNF- alpha, and TGF beta1, IL-11, COX2) and genes of DNA repair (i.e...
- Identification of small molecule inhibitors of protein disulfide isomeraseROBERT C FLAUMENHAFT; Fiscal Year: 2012..using a fluorescence-based assay of insulin aggregation, remove non-specific oxidase inhibitors using a glutathione peroxidase assay, and determine the specificity of inhibitors using alternative oxidoreductases, including ERp5, ..
- Respiratory and Metabolic Adaptation to HypoxiaPaul T Schumacker; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that Phospholipid Hydroperoxide Glutathione Peroxidase (PHGPx) functions as a signal transduction messenger in the ROS-HIF-1a pathway, transmitting the hypoxia-..
- Mechanistic Studies of Alkyl Hydroperoxide Reductase and Related Redox ProteinsLeslie B Poole; Fiscal Year: 2013..Catalase and glutathione peroxidase have long been viewed as the major enzymes degrading peroxide in cells, however, over the past few years, ..
- Mitochondrial Proteins in Parkinson's DiseaseJ Timothy Greenamyre; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hastings (Project 4) will study the roles of mitochondrial selenoproteins, such as glutathione peroxidase 4 and thioredoxin reductase 2, in neurodegeneration in PD...
- Biological Mechanisms of Arterial Stiffening With Age and Estrogen DeficiencyKERRIE MOREAU; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., NADPH) and antioxidant (e.g., glutathione peroxidase) enzymes, vasoconstrictors (endothelin- 1), and estrogen receptor alpha (ERalpha)...
- PATHOGENIC MECHANISMS OF CUTANEOUS LEISHMANIASISLynn Soong; Fiscal Year: 2012..their contributions, we will use mice deficient in the oxidative stress pathways (NADPH oxidase, glutathione peroxidase, and superoxide dismutase)...
- Antioxidative role of GPX1 in transgenic mice.XINGEN LEI; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Cellular glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPX1) is the first identified selenium-dependent protein and a major intracellular antioxidant enzyme in mammals...
- Molecular Pathobiology of Barrett's TumorigenesisWael El-Rifai; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using integrated analysis approaches, we have identified silencing of glutathione peroxidase 7 (GPX7) in two-thirds of BACs. GPX7 is a recently identified member of the GPX family...
- Oxidant Mechanisms in Neonatal Brain InjuryDonna M Ferriero; Fiscal Year: 2013..regulated by H2O2 to generate a cytoprotective response through the use of HIF conditional knockouts and glutathione peroxidase transgenics and knockouts...
- ADENOSINE AND ANTIOXIDANT ENZYMESVickram Ramkumar; Fiscal Year: 1999..of the cell from free radicals and comprises enzymes such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase CAT), glutathione peroxidase (GSH...
- Selenium Colorectal Cancer Chemoprevention TrialsPATRICIA ANN THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..a mechanism for Se-related T2D in human is obscure, animal studies suggest that chronic activation of glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPX1), a potent anti-oxidant selenoprotein, may lead to the development of hyperinsulinemia, ..
- Cardiovascular Disease Biomarkers and Mediation of Hormone Therapy EffectsRoss L Prentice; Fiscal Year: 2012..For CHD these are alpha-1-acid glycoprotein 1, thrombospondin 1, complement factor D preprotein, glutathione peroxidase 3, and insulin-like binding protein 1 (IGFBP1)...
- Redox Mechanisms of Chemoprevention in Lung by Selenium SupplementationROBYN POERSCHKE; Fiscal Year: 2010..antioxidant response element (ARE) genes, including the selenoproteins thioredoxin reductase 1 (TrxRI) and glutathione peroxidase 2 (GPx2)...
- Selenium as an adjuvant to imatinib therapyAlan Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2010..has been shown that imatinab also inhibits the activating phosphorylation of the selenium-dependent enzyme glutathione peroxidase (GPx-1)...
- GPx-3 and Peroxide Flux in the Endothelial CellJoseph Loscalzo; Fiscal Year: 2013..The central hypothesis of this award is that glutathione peroxidase-3 (GPx-3) is a principal determinant of extracellular hydrogen peroxide flux from the endothelial cell, ..
- Peroxiredoxin 6 as an Anti-oxidant EnzymeAron B Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This project will evaluate the properties of a novel glutathione peroxidase enzyme that is considerably enriched in lungs and plays an important role in lung antioxidant defense and lung surfactant ..
- Glutathione Peroxidase & Redox State in AtherosclerosisFrancis Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..Glutathione (GSH) is the most abundant redox buffer in the cell. The cytosolic enzyme glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPx-1) protects the cell against oxidant stress by utilizing GSH to reduce hydrogen peroxide and lipid ..
- Modeling Prostate TumorigenesisSarki A Abdulkadir; Fiscal Year: 2012..1 dysregulates the expression of pro- and anti-oxidant enzymes (including peroxiredoxin 6, glutathione peroxidase 3 and sulfhydryl oxidase 6) resulting in loss of protection against oxidative damage...
- Arterial Dysfunction: Basic and Clinical MechanismsThomas Michel; Fiscal Year: 2013..J. Loscaizo leads Project 4, "Glutathione peroxidase-1, mitochondrial function, and endothelial phenotype", and also is Co-Director of the Redox Biochemistry ..
- An unexpected role for elF4a3 in regulating GPx1 selenoprotein expressionMICHAEL EVEREST BUDIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, when selenium are limiting, expression of phospholipid hydroperoxide glutathione peroxidase (PhGPx) in the rat liver is preserved in the expense of glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPx1) and other ..
- Gpx3 Targeting and Extracellular Oxidative StressRaymond F Burk; Fiscal Year: 2012Extracellular glutathione peroxidase (Gpx3) is produced primarily by the proximal convoluted tubule (PCT) cells of the kidney. Gpx3 catabolizes H2O2 and other hydroperoxides outside cells using GSH as its reducing substrate...
- Anemia in the Elderly: PathogenesisJeffrey S Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2010..and red cell hexokinase activity;oxidative damage to erythrocytes will be assessed by estimating GSSG/GSH, glutathione peroxidase, carbonyl proteins, TEARS;exposure of phosphatidylserine on erythrocyte membranes will be documented...
- Toxicant, oxidative injury, dopamine & synuclein in PDKATHLEEN ANNE MAGUIRE ZEISS; Fiscal Year: 2011..overexpress human wild type a-synuclein in dopaminergic cells (SYN+/+) on the background of glial depleted glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPX-/-) and an antioxidant promoter-reporter...
- OXIDANT MECHANISMS IN MEMBRANOUS NEPHROPATHYSudhir Shah; Fiscal Year: 1993..I plan to examine: 1. The specific activity of SOD, catalase and glutathione peroxidase in glomeruli, tubules and renal cortex in normal and in anti-Fx1A-treated rats. ii...
- EFFECTS OF ADRIAMYCIN AND BCNU ON GLUTATHIONEHenry Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 1980..At the same time ADR inhibits glutathione peroxidase, the mjaor defense against lipid peroxides...
- LIPID PEROXIDATION IN COLORECTAL CANCERManuela Gago Dominguez; Fiscal Year: 2009..endothelial cell nitric oxide synthase (ecNOS), manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase (GPX1), catalase (CAT), glutathione S- transferase A1 (GSTA1), glutathione S-transferase M1 (GSTM1), ..
- Metals in exhaled breath condensate as COPD biomarkersAntonio Mutti; Fiscal Year: 2005..that some trace elements (Mn, Cu, Zn, Se, and Mo) are components of metalloproteins (superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, xanthine oxidase) known to modulate the response to toxic substances, possibly accounting for the limited ..
- ART PHARMACOKINETICS IN SEVERELY MALNOURISHED HIV-INFECTED CHILDRENEricka Hayes; Fiscal Year: 2009..in monocytes), antioxidant capacity (assessed by whole blood glutathione, red cell superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, and oxidized serum proteins), hepatic function and integrity (quantified by albumin, alanine transaminase ..
- Mitochondrial SOD & Breast Cancer Risk-MechanismJAMES YAGER; Fiscal Year: 2003..The activity of mitochondrial glutathione peroxidase and GSH/GSSL levels will also be determined...
- OXIDATION OF MACROMOLECULES IN SPINAL CORD INJURYDanxia Liu; Fiscal Year: 2001..2. To apply free radical suppressors (superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase), a nitric oxide synthase inhibitor (nitro-L-arginine), and an iron chelator (desferrioxamine) into the ..
- OXYGEN RADICAL-ENZYME SCAVENGING IN ONCHOCERCAEric James; Fiscal Year: 1990..This study will look at the presence of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase and glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) principally in mf but also in adult worms and third stage larvae (L3s) of Onchocerca cervicalis, ..
- TRANSGENIC MICE, AGING, CANCER, AND OXIDATIVE DAMAGEArlan Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2001..mice that show reduced expression of either Mn-SOD (Sod2+/-) or both Mn-SOD and the selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase (Sod2+/-XGpx1+/-F1) will be used to test the following hypothesis: An imbalance between prooxidants and ..
- OXIDATIVE CELL INJURY: FIRST-EPISODE PSYCHOTIC PATIENTSSahebarao Mahadik; Fiscal Year: 2002..Activities of antioxidant enzymes (superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, and catalase) will be determined in red blood cells and in lymphocyte mitochondria...
- MODELS FOR EXPLORING FREE RADICAL DAMAGEJulie Andersen; Fiscal Year: 1999..enzyme superoxide dismutase reduces superoxide to hydrogen peroxide, which is in turn reduced by either glutathione peroxidase or catalase to H20...
- OXIDATIVE DAMAGE TO CRYOPRESERVED SPERMBAYARD STOREY; Fiscal Year: 1992..loss, lipid peroxidation rate, and inactivation of the protectant enzymes, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) in human sperm samples in the fresh state and after freeze-thaw, under aerobic and anerobic ..
- Preventing NIHL by enhancing glutathione pathwaysRichard Kopke; Fiscal Year: 2002..by the ratio of reduced to oxidized glutathione and the affiliated enzymes glutathione reductase (GR) and glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) during the first 6 hours of noise exposure and that these changes will correlate with the level ..
- GENE MANIPULATION & H202 DEGRADATION IN THE OCULAR LENSAbraham Spector; Fiscal Year: 2001..knockout mice for a number of the key enzymes that are involved in metabolizing H2O2 including catalase, glutathione peroxidase and glutathione reductase...
- CATALASE EFFECT ON ADRIAMYCIN CARDIOTOXICITYY Kang; Fiscal Year: 1999..The other important H202 detoxification enzyme glutathione peroxidase also exhibits lower activity in the heart than in the liver in most strains of mice...
- BIOLOGY OF GLUTATHIONE PEROXIDASE IN DOPAMINE NEURONSGerald Cohen; Fiscal Year: 1993..H202 is detoxified mainly by glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), which produces glutathione disulfide (GSSG)...
- GPx-3, Vascular Oxidant Stress, and ThrombosisJoseph Loscalzo; Fiscal Year: 2006..Extracellular antioxidant enzymes, including extracellular superoxide dismutase and plasma glutathione peroxidase, limit the inactivation of endothelial nitric oxide by reactive oxygen species...
- Selenium, Glutathione Peroxidase-1, and Homocysteine-induced Cardiac RemodelingJacob Joseph; Fiscal Year: 2009..fibrosis, since a major cellular defense against oxidant stress is the selenium requiring enzyme glutathione peroxidase- 1 (GPx-1)...
- GLUTATHIONE PEROXIDASE ACTION AND INHIBITIONPETER GETTINS; Fiscal Year: 1990..essential nutrient for man, in large part through the crucial part it plays in the mechanism of action of glutathione peroxidase. This enzyme seems to serve an important role in protecting cell membranes from oxidative damage by ..
- MYOCARDIAL OXIDANT INJURY--KESHAN DISEASE AS A MODELRaymond Burk; Fiscal Year: 1992..Defenses against oxidant stress such as Se (acting through glutathione peroxidase), vitamin E, glutathione, and taurine would be expected to protect the myocardium...
- MODERATE ALCOHOL USE--CARDIOVASCULAR RISKS AND BENEFITSThomas Giles; Fiscal Year: 2001..Chronic ingestion of ETOH decreases antioxidants (e.g. NO, SO dismutase [SOD], glutathione peroxidase [GP]) and up regulates SO and hydrogen peroxide (H202)...
- DRUG METABOLISM IN THE EYEHitoshi Shichi; Fiscal Year: 2001..The ciliary body contains a novel selenium - independent glutathione peroxidase (GPX). The PI will determine its primary structure by molecular cloning...
- SELENIUM AND LUNG CANCER RISKHenry Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2004..asbestos exposed individuals differ based on polymorphisms in manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) that have been associated with lung cancer risk, and assess whether the effects of selenium are ..
- NEONATAL HEME OXYGENASE EXPRESSION--EFFECTS OF HYPEROXIAPhyllis Dennery; Fiscal Year: 1999..oxidant stress involves the increase in antioxidant enzymes such as superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase in the latter 10% to 15% of gestation...
- Thioredoxin Peroxidases, Oxidative Stress, and AgingWilliam Orr; Fiscal Year: 2006..These ubiquitous species are thought to play a particularly critical role in insects, given the lack of glutathione peroxidase activity in these animals...
- HOMOCYST(E)INE, OXIDATIVE STRESS, AND NITRIC OXIDEJoseph Loscalzo; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also focus, in particular, on a critical enzymatic determinant of cellular redox state, cellular glutathione peroxidase. The expression of this selenocysteine-containing antioxidant enzyme is uniquely suppressed by homocyst(e)..
- INDICES OF OXYRADICAL METABOLISM IN SCHIZOPHRENIASUKDEB MUKHERJEE; Fiscal Year: 1992..erythrocyte activities of three critical enzymes of the antioxidant defence system (superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, and catalase) has been reported in schizophrenic patients...
- Chronic Alcohol and Liver Oxidative StressShannon Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2003..reactive oxygen species production primarily within the mitochondrion, (2) decreases the activity of glutathione peroxidase-1 by irreversible oxidation of the active site selenocysteine residue or depressing liver selenium ..
- GENE EXPRESSION INDICES ASSOCIATED WITH CHEMORESISTANCEJames Willey; Fiscal Year: 2001..with chemoresistance revealed that glutathione transferase (GST) P1, Bax alpha, GADD45, ERCC3, and glutathione peroxidase, mGST genes are expressed at 100, 20, 10, 6, 5, and 4-fold higher levels respectively in H1435...
- OXIDATION OF MITOCHONDRIAL PROTEINS BY ETHANOLShannon Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2000..mitochondrion; (2) oxidatively modify and subsequently inactivate the selenium-dependent mitochondrial glutathione peroxidase enzyme; (3) depress hepatic mitochondrial protein synthesis by oxidative modification of the hepatic ..
- TOXICITY OF O2- AND H2O2Robert Lynch; Fiscal Year: 1993..of O2- or H2O2 cultured cells will be enriched with superoxide dismutase, with catalase, and with glutathione peroxidase by transcription of transfected cDNAs...
- FUNCTIONS OF GLUTATHIONE PEROXIDASE IN THE BRAINTRENT BUCKMAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..discovery over 30 years ago, there has been increasing awareness of the central role played by the enzyme glutathione peroxidase (GPx) in the cellular antioxidant system...
- Genetics of Oxidative Stress in Ventricular RemodelingVasan Ramachandran; Fiscal Year: 2003..SNPs) have been identified in genes for several oxidant (antioxidants: superoxide dismutases, glutathione peroxidase, catalase, paraoxonase, heme oxygenase; prooxidants: myeloperoxidases, NAD(P)H oxidases) and nitrosant (..
- ENOS & THE RADICAL MECHANISM OF ANTITUMOR ANTHRACYCLINESBalaraman Kalyanaraman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aims: First, we will investigate the effect of glutathione peroxidase (GPxI) overexpression on DOX-induced apoptosis in myocytes and endothelial cells...
- Regulation of Oxidative Stress Response by c-Abl and ArgDonald Kufe; Fiscal Year: 2007..H202 is also converted to water by cytosolic and mitochondrial glutathione peroxidase in a reaction which oxidizes glutathione...
- Selenoprotein Targeting in Prostate CarcinogenesisDavid Menter; Fiscal Year: 2004..g. glutathione peroxidase, GPx and thioredoxin reductase, TxR)...
- Hepatitis Virus, Alcohol Exposure and Oxidative StressManal Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2002..Interestingly, a recent study has reported that HCV encodes a selenium (Se)-dependent antioxidant enzyme, glutathione peroxidase, GPx, and GPx may have a regulatory role in HCV replication...
- NUTRITIONAL REGULATION OF SELENOENZYMES AND PROTEINSROGER SUNDE; Fiscal Year: 1992This application proposes to study the nutritional regulation of selenium- containing enzymes and proteins. Glutathione peroxidase (GPX) is the best characterized selenoenzyme present in animals, and thus this research will have a major ..