Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme that oxidizes an aldehyde in the presence of NAD+ and water to an acid and NADH. EC 184.108.40.206. Before 1978, it was classified as EC 220.127.116.11.
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- ALDH1 is a marker of normal and malignant human mammary stem cells and a predictor of poor clinical outcomeChristophe Ginestier
Department of Internal Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Cell Stem Cell 1:555-67. 2007..in vivo experimental systems, we show that normal and cancer human mammary epithelial cells with increased aldehyde dehydrogenase activity (ALDH) have stem/progenitor properties...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 is a marker for normal and malignant human colonic stem cells (SC) and tracks SC overpopulation during colon tumorigenesisEmina H Huang
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Cancer Res 69:3382-9. 2009..Accordingly, aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) was investigated as a possible marker for identifying colonic SC and for tracking them during ..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1-positive cancer stem cells mediate metastasis and poor clinical outcome in inflammatory breast cancerEmmanuelle Charafe-Jauffret
Department of Molecular Oncology, Institut Paoli Calmettes UMR891 Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille Cancer Research Center, Marseille, France
Clin Cancer Res 16:45-55. 2010..To examine the role of cancer stem cells (CSC) in mediating metastasis in inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) and the association of these cells with patient outcome in this aggressive type of breast cancer...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 is a tumor stem cell-associated marker in lung cancerFeng Jiang
Department of Pathology, Greenbaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201 1192, USA
Mol Cancer Res 7:330-8. 2009..Isolated cancer cells with relatively high aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) activity display in vitro features of CSCs, including capacities for proliferation, self-renewal,..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase: its role as a cancer stem cell marker comes down to the specific isoformPaola Marcato
Departments of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Novia Scotia, Canada
Cell Cycle 10:1378-84. 2011Recent evidence suggests that enhanced aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity is a hallmark of cancer stem cells (CSC) measurable by the aldefluor assay...
- Single-marker identification of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cancer stem cells with aldehyde dehydrogenaseMatthew R Clay
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Head Neck 32:1195-201. 2010..We previously reported that CD44 isolates tumorigenic cells from head and neck squamous cell cancer (HNSCC). Recent studies indicate that aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity may represent a more specific marker of CSCs.
- The role of human aldehyde dehydrogenase in normal and cancer stem cellsIrene Ma
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Stem Cell Rev 7:292-306. 2011..Currently, it would appear that certain isoenzymes of the aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) superfamily may be able to fulfill this role as a marker for both normal and cancer stem cells...
- High aldehyde dehydrogenase activity identifies tumor-initiating and metastasis-initiating cells in human prostate cancerChristel van den Hoogen
Department of Urology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 70:5163-73. 2010..In this study, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity was used as a basis to isolate and compare subpopulations of primary human prostate cancer ..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity selects for lung adenocarcinoma stem cells dependent on notch signalingJames P Sullivan
Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Cancer Res 70:9937-48. 2010b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) is a candidate marker for lung cancer cells with stem cell-like properties...
- Targeting aldehyde dehydrogenase cancer stem cells in ovarian cancerCharles N Landen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:3186-99. 2010b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase-1A1 (ALDH1A1) expression characterizes a subpopulation of cells with tumor-initiating or cancer stem cell properties in several malignancies...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase in combination with CD133 defines angiogenic ovarian cancer stem cells that portend poor patient survivalInes A Silva
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Cancer Res 71:3991-4001. 2011..CD133 is a reported marker of ovarian CSC. Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity is a reported CSC marker in several solid tumors, but it has not been studied in ovarian ..
- Association of breast cancer stem cells identified by aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 expression with resistance to sequential Paclitaxel and epirubicin-based chemotherapy for breast cancersTomonori Tanei
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 15:4234-41. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate whether cancer stem cells were clinically significant for resistance to chemotherapy in human breast cancers...
- Prospective identification of tumorigenic osteosarcoma cancer stem cells in OS99-1 cells based on high aldehyde dehydrogenase activityLin Wang
Department of Neurosurgery, Spine Research Laboratory, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Int J Cancer 128:294-303. 2011High aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity has recently been used to identify tumorigenic cell fractions in many cancer types...
- HER2 regulates the mammary stem/progenitor cell population driving tumorigenesis and invasionH Korkaya
Department of Internal Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Oncogene 27:6120-30. 2008..cells as demonstrated by in vitro mammosphere assays and the expression of stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) as well as by generation of hyperplastic lesions in humanized fat pads of NOD (nucleotide-binding ..
- Inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase and retinoid signaling induces the expansion of human hematopoietic stem cellsJohn P Chute
Division of Cellular Therapy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:11707-12. 2006b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) is an enzyme that is expressed in the liver and is required for the conversion of retinol (vitamin A) to retinoic acids...
- Non-P450 aldehyde oxidizing enzymes: the aldehyde dehydrogenase superfamilySatori A Marchitti
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Molecular Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences Program, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, C238, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 4:697-720. 2008..While several non-P450 enzyme systems participate in their metabolism, one of the most important is the aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) superfamily, composed of NAD(P)+-dependent enzymes that catalyze aldehyde oxidation.
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity of breast cancer stem cells is primarily due to isoform ALDH1A3 and its expression is predictive of metastasisPaola Marcato
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Stem Cells 29:32-45. 2011..Cancer stem cells (CSCs) are proposed to initiate cancer and propagate metastasis. Breast CSCs identified by aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity are highly tumorigenic in xenograft models...
- Breast cancer cell lines contain functional cancer stem cells with metastatic capacity and a distinct molecular signatureEmmanuelle Charafe-Jauffret
Centre de Recherche en Cancerologie de Marseille, Laboratoire d Oncologie Moleculaire, UMR891 Inserm Institut Paoli Calmettes, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Cancer Res 69:1302-13. 2009..We have used the expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase as assessed by the ALDEFLUOR assay to isolate and characterize cancer stem cell (CSC) populations in 33 ..
- ALDH1A1 is a marker for malignant prostate stem cells and predictor of prostate cancer patients' outcomeTing Li
Department of Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201 1192, USA
Lab Invest 90:234-44. 2010..Increased aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1) activity has been found in the stem cell populations of leukemia and some solid tumors...
- High aldehyde dehydrogenase and expression of cancer stem cell markers selects for breast cancer cells with enhanced malignant and metastatic abilityAlysha K Croker
London Regional Cancer Program, London, Ontario, Canada
J Cell Mol Med 13:2236-52. 2009..MCF-7) for expression of prospective CSC markers CD44/CD24 and CD133, and for functional activity of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), an enzyme involved in stem cell self-protection...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase as a marker for stem cellsJan S Moreb
Department of Medicine, University of Florida, 1600 SW Archer Road, PO Box 100277, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 3:237-46. 2008Multiple aldehyde dehydrogenase genes have been identified in many tissues...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 is a putative marker for cancer stem cells in head and neck squamous cancerYu Chih Chen
Institute of Clinical Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 385:307-13. 2009b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) has been considered to be a marker for cancer stem cells. However, the role of ALDH1 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) has yet to be determined...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase-expressing colon stem cells contribute to tumorigenesis in the transition from colitis to cancerJoseph E Carpentino
McKnight Brain Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32609, USA
Cancer Res 69:8208-15. 2009..We recently showed that epithelial cells with the increased expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase in sporadic colon cancer correlate closely with tumor-initiating ability...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase discriminates the CD133 liver cancer stem cell populationsStephanie Ma
Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Mol Cancer Res 6:1146-53. 2008..profiles between CD133(+) and CD133(-) subpopulations isolated from Huh7 and PLC8024 and identified aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 as one of the proteins that are preferentially expressed in the CD133(+) subfraction...
- High ALDH activity identifies chemotherapy-resistant Ewing's sarcoma stem cells that retain sensitivity to EWS-FLI1 inhibitionOla Awad
Division of Pediatric Oncology, Department of Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e13943. 2010....
- Mesenchymal glioma stem cells are maintained by activated glycolytic metabolism involving aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A3Ping Mao
Department of Neurological Surgery, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:8644-9. 2013..The glycolytic pathway, comprising aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) family genes and in particular ALDH1A3, were enriched in Mes GSCs...
- Post-translational modifications of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase and biomedical implicationsByoung Joon Song
Section of Molecular Pharmacology and Toxicology, Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, MD 20892 9410, USA
J Proteomics 74:2691-702. 2011....
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 A1-positive cell population is enriched in tumor-initiating cells and associated with progression of bladder cancerYun Su
Department of Surgery, Zhongda Hospital, The School of Clinical Medicine, Southeast University, Nanjing, China
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:327-37. 2010b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 A1 (ALDH1A1) has recently been suggested as a marker for cancer stem or stem-like cancer cells of some human malignancies...
- The activity of class I, II, III, and IV alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) isoenzymes and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) in esophageal cancerWojciech Jelski
Department of Biochemical Diagnostics, Medical University, Waszyngtona 15 A, 15 269, Bialystok, Poland
Dig Dis Sci 54:725-30. 2009..Alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) are the main enzymes involved in ethanol metabolism, which leads to generation of acetaldehyde...
- Common single nucleotide polymorphisms in Japanese patients with essential hypertension: aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 gene as a risk factor independent of alcohol consumptionPeng Hui
Division of Molecular Diagnostics, Advanced Medical Research Center, Nihon University School of Medicine, Ooyaguchi Kamimachi, Tokyo, Japan
Hypertens Res 30:585-92. 2007..based on their functions, including: obesity (adrenergic, beta-3-, receptor: ADRB3), alcohol consumption (aldehyde dehydrogenase 2: ALDH2), water-electrolyte metabolism (guanine nucleotide binding protein [G protein], beta polypeptide ..
- Expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) is associated with basal-like markers and features of aggressive tumours in African breast cancerH Nalwoga
Section for Pathology, The Gade Institute, University of Bergen, Haukeland University Hospital, N 5021, Bergen, Norway
Br J Cancer 102:369-75. 2010Putative breast cancer stem cells might express surface markers such as aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) and BMI-1 proteins...
- Inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity reduces chemotherapy and radiation resistance of stem-like ALDHhiCD44⁺ human breast cancer cellsAlysha K Croker
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 133:75-87. 2012..identified a subpopulation of cells in human breast cancer cell lines that demonstrate high activity of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) and high expression of CD44...
- Endothelial cell-initiated signaling promotes the survival and self-renewal of cancer stem cellsSudha Krishnamurthy
Angiogenesis Research Laboratory, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Cancer Res 70:9969-78. 2010..Here, we used aldehyde dehydrogenase activity and CD44 expression to sort putative stem cells from primary human HNSCC...
- Human aldehyde dehydrogenases: potential pathological, pharmacological, and toxicological impactNorman E Sládek
Department of Pharmacology, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 17:7-23. 2003..Seventeen enzymes are currently viewed as belonging to the human aldehyde dehydrogenase superfamily...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity in leukemic blasts defines a subgroup of acute myeloid leukemia with adverse prognosis and superior NOD/SCID engrafting potentialA M S Cheung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Leukemia 21:1423-30. 2007b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity is used to define normal hematopoietic stem cell (HSC), but its link to leukemic stem cells (LSC) in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is currently unknown...
- Overview of the role of alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase and their variants in the genesis of alcohol-related pathologyDavid W Crabb
Indiana University School of Medicine and Roudebush VA Medical Center, Emerson Hall Room 317, 545 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Proc Nutr Soc 63:49-63. 2004Alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) are responsible for metabolizing the bulk of ethanol consumed as part of the diet and their activities contribute to the rate of ethanol elimination from the ..
- Associations of ADH and ALDH2 gene variation with self report alcohol reactions, consumption and dependence: an integrated analysisStuart Macgregor
Genetic Epidemiology, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 18:580-93. 2009..The absence of study-wide significant effects on AD results from the low P-value required when testing multiple single nucleotide polymorphisms and phenotypes...
- The aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys polymorphism interacts with alcohol drinking in the risk of stomach cancerKeitaro Matsuo
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Carcinogenesis 34:1510-5. 2013The impact of alcohol on the risk of stomach cancer is controversial. Although aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys (rs671) polymorphism has a strong effect on acetaldehyde metabolism, little is known about its impact on stomach ..
- Randomized, double-blind pilot study of transendocardial injection of autologous aldehyde dehydrogenase-bright stem cells in patients with ischemic heart failureEmerson C Perin
Stem Cell Center at the Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX, USA
Am Heart J 163:415-21, 421.e1. 2012..population of bone marrow-derived hematopoietic cells has been isolated by the presence of the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase and comprises a multilineage mix of stem and progenitor cells...
- The genetics of alcohol metabolism: role of alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase variantsHoward J Edenberg
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Alcohol Res Health 30:5-13. 2007The primary enzymes involved in alcohol metabolism are alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). Both enzymes occur in several forms that are encoded by different genes; moreover, there are variants (i.e...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1--a new mediator of resistance to temozolomide in glioblastomaAndrea Schäfer
Division of Neuropathology, Institute of Pathology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
Neuro Oncol 14:1452-64. 2012..The objective of this work was to analyze the role of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) 1A1 in mediating temozolomide resistance and its value as a predictor of clinical outcome in GBM ..
- Alpha lipoic acid protects heart against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury through a mechanism involving aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 activationLan He
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Eur J Pharmacol 678:32-8. 2012Recent studies demonstrate that alpha lipoic acid can prevent nitroglycerin tolerance by restoring aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) activity and ALDH2-mediated detoxification of aldehydes is thought as an endogenous mechanism against ..
- The cellular basis of corneal transparency: evidence for 'corneal crystallins'J V Jester
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
J Cell Sci 112:613-22. 1999..Additionally, two water-soluble proteins, transketolase (TKT) and aldehyde dehydrogenase class 1 (ALDH1), isolated from rabbit keratocytes showed unexpectedly abundant expression ( approximately ..
- Successful isolation of liver progenitor cells by aldehyde dehydrogenase activity in naïve miceLaurent Dollé
Liver Cell Biology Laboratory, Vrije Universiteit Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Hepatology 55:540-52. 2012..this issue, we developed an easy and reproducible liver progenitor cell (LPC) isolation strategy based on aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity, a common feature shared by many progenitor cells...
- Inhibition of telomerase activity preferentially targets aldehyde dehydrogenase-positive cancer stem-like cells in lung cancerDiego Serrano
Laboratory of Novel Therapeutic Targets, Oncology Division, Center for Applied Medical Research CIMA, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Mol Cancer 10:96. 2011..We have isolated and characterized CSCs from non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) cell lines and measured their telomerase activity, telomere length, and sensitivity to the novel telomerase inhibitor MST312...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity is a biomarker of primitive normal human mammary luminal cellsPeter Eirew
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Stem Cells 30:344-8. 2012Elevated aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) expression/activity has been identified as an important biomarker of primitive cells in various normal and malignant human tissues...
- Genome-wide identification and analysis of grape aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) gene superfamilyYucheng Zhang
College of Horticulture, Northwest A and F University, Key Laboratory of Horticultural Plant Biology and Germplasm Innovation in Northwest China, Ministry of Agriculture, Yangling, Shaanxi, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e32153. 2012..Although ALDHs have been systematically investigated in several plant species including Arabidopsis and rice, our knowledge concerning the ALDH genes, their evolutionary relationship and expression patterns in grape has been limited...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase is essential for both adult and larval ethanol resistance in Drosophila melanogasterJames D Fry
Department of Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627, USA
Genet Res 87:87-92. 2006The enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) is essential for ethanol metabolism in mammals, converting the highly toxic intermediate acetaldehyde to acetate...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) rescues myocardial ischaemia/reperfusion injury: role of autophagy paradox and toxic aldehydeHeng Ma
Department of Physiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, 710032, China
Eur Heart J 32:1025-38. 2011The present study was designed to examine the mechanism involved in mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2)-induced cardioprotection against ischaemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury with a focus on autophagy.
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 positive glioblastoma cells show brain tumor stem cell capacityMichael Rasper
Division of Neuropathology, Institute of Pathology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Str 22, Munchen, Bavaria D 81675, Germany
Neuro Oncol 12:1024-33. 2010..We suggest aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) as a novel stem cell marker in human GBM...
- Retinoid signaling regulates breast cancer stem cell differentiationChristophe Ginestier
Centre de Recherche en Cancerologie de Marseille, UMR891 Inserm Institut Paoli Calmettes, Marseilles, France
Cell Cycle 8:3297-302. 2009..These pathways regulate breast CSCs biology and their inhibition may provide novel therapeutic approaches to target breast CSCs...
- Double-negative feedback loop between reprogramming factor LIN28 and microRNA let-7 regulates aldehyde dehydrogenase 1-positive cancer stem cellsXiaojun Yang
Center for Research on Early Detection and Cure of Ovarian Cancer, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Cancer Res 70:9463-72. 2010A relatively rare aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1)-positive "stem cell-like" subpopulation of tumor cells has the unique ability to initiate and perpetuate tumor growth; moreover, it is highly resistant to chemotherapy and significantly ..
- Characterization of cells with a high aldehyde dehydrogenase activity from cord blood and acute myeloid leukemia samplesDaniel J Pearce
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Laboratory, Cancer Research UK, London Research Institute, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
Stem Cells 23:752-60. 2005b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) is a cytosolic enzyme that is responsible for the oxidation of intracellular aldehydes...
- Metabolic remodeling induced by mitochondrial aldehyde stress stimulates tolerance to oxidative stress in the heartJin Endo
Department of Regenerative Medicine and Advanced Cardiac Therapeutics, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Circ Res 105:1118-27. 2009..Aldehyde accumulation is regarded as a pathognomonic feature of oxidative stress-associated cardiovascular disease...
- Genotypes for aldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency and alcohol sensitivity. The inactive ALDH2(2) allele is dominantD W Crabb
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46223
J Clin Invest 83:314-6. 1989Many Orientals lack the mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) activity responsible for the oxidation of acetaldehyde produced during ethanol metabolism...
- Identification of a primitive brain-derived neural stem cell population based on aldehyde dehydrogenase activityStefania Corti
Dino Ferrari Centre, Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Milan, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere, Scientifco Foundation Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Mangiagalli and Regina Elena, Italy
Stem Cells 24:975-85. 2006..common characteristics such as the presence of ATP-binding cassette transporter G2 and high telomerase and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity, raising the hypothesis of a set of universal stem cell markers...
- Circulating progenitor cells can be reliably identified on the basis of aldehyde dehydrogenase activityThomas J Povsic
Division of Cardiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 50:2243-8. 2007Our objective was to develop and assess a novel endogenous progenitor cell (EPC) assay based on aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity, and to define the relationship of ALDH-bright (ALDH(br)) cells with previously defined EPCs, patient ..
- Neurotoxicity and metabolism of the catecholamine-derived 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetaldehyde and 3,4-dihydroxyphenylglycolaldehyde: the role of aldehyde dehydrogenaseSatori A Marchitti
Molecular Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences Program, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Pharmacol Rev 59:125-50. 2007..To date, 19 aldehyde dehydrogenase genes have been identified in the human genome...
- Stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase 1-positive breast cancers are characterized by negative estrogen receptor, positive human epidermal growth factor receptor type 2, and high Ki67 expressionKoji Morimoto
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita City, Osaka, Japan
Cancer Sci 100:1062-8. 2009Recently, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) 1 has been identified as a reliable marker for breast cancer stem cells...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitors: a comprehensive review of the pharmacology, mechanism of action, substrate specificity, and clinical applicationVindhya Koppaka
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Denver, 12850 East Montview Blvd, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Pharmacol Rev 64:520-39. 2012....
- BMP-2 inhibits the tumorigenicity of cancer stem cells in human osteosarcoma OS99-1 cell lineLin Wang
Spine Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 11:457-63. 2011..BMP-2 or BMP-2-mimetic drugs, if properly delivered to tumor and combined with traditional therapies, may therefore provide a new therapeutic option for treatment of osteosarcoma...
- Measurement of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 expression defines a group with better prognosis in patients with non-small cell lung cancerAnastasios Dimou
Department of Pathology, Yale Cancer Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8023, USA
Am J Pathol 181:1436-42. 2012b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) has been suggested as a surrogate biomarker for cancer stem cells in breast cancer and other tumors...
- Mammary epithelial-specific ablation of the focal adhesion kinase suppresses mammary tumorigenesis by affecting mammary cancer stem/progenitor cellsMing Luo
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Cancer Res 69:466-74. 2009..Using mammary stem/progenitor markers, including aldehyde dehydrogenase, CD24, CD29, and CD61, we further revealed that ablation of FAK reduced the pool of cancer stem/progenitor ..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1a1 is dispensable for stem cell function in the mouse hematopoietic and nervous systemsBoaz P Levi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, and Center for Stem Cell Biology, Life Sciences Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2216, USA
Blood 113:1670-80. 2009High levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity have been proposed to be a common feature of stem cells...
- The soybean aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) protein superfamilySimeon O Kotchoni
Department of Biology, Rutgers University, Camden, NJ 08102, USA
Gene 495:128-33. 2012..In addition, we describe the biochemical requirements and cellular metabolic pathways of selected members of ALDHs in soybean responses to environmental stress conditions...
- Transplanted human bone marrow progenitor subtypes stimulate endogenous islet regeneration and revascularizationGillian I Bell
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Krembil Centre for Stem Cell Biology, Robarts Research Institute, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Stem Cells Dev 21:97-109. 2012..human progenitor cell types that stimulate islet regeneration, we purified human BM based on high-aldehyde dehydrogenase activity (ALDH(hi)), an enzymatic function conserved in hematopoietic, endothelial, and mesenchymal ..
- Inhibition effects of furfural on alcohol dehydrogenase, aldehyde dehydrogenase and pyruvate dehydrogenaseTobias Modig
Department of Chemical Engineering II, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 22100, Lund, Sweden
Biochem J 363:769-76. 2002The kinetics of furfural inhibition of the enzymes alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH; EC 18.104.22.168), aldehyde dehydrogenase (AlDH; EC 22.214.171.124) and the pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) complex were studied in vitro...
- Moving forward in human mammary stem cell biology and breast cancer prognostication using ALDH1Danuta Balicki
Department of Medicine and Research Centre, Hôtel Dieu du Centre hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, 3850, rue Saint Urbain, Montreal, QC H2W 1T7, Canada
Cell Stem Cell 1:485-7. 2007
- Concise review: aldehyde dehydrogenase bright stem and progenitor cell populations from normal tissues: characteristics, activities, and emerging uses in regenerative medicineAndrew E Balber
Cicada Biopharmaceutical Consulting, Durham, North Carolina 27707, USA
Stem Cells 29:570-5. 2011Flow cytometry has been used to detect cells that express high levels of the aldehyde dehydrogenase activity in normal tissues...
- The prognostic significance of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1) and CD133 expression in early stage non-small cell lung cancerMuhammad Alamgeer
Department of Medical Oncology, Monash Medical Centre, East Bentleigh, Melbourne, Australia
Thorax 68:1095-104. 2013Expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1) and CD133 has been functionally associated with a stem cell phenotype in normal and malignant cells...
- MicroRNA-200c attenuates tumour growth and metastasis of presumptive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma stem cellsWen Liang Lo
Department of Dentistry and Institute of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Pathol 223:482-95. 2011..Restoration of miR200c in HNSCC and CSCs may be a promising therapeutic approach...
- ALDH1A1 is a novel EZH2 target gene in epithelial ovarian cancer identified by genome-wide approachesHua Li
Women s Cancer Program and Epigenetics and Progenitor Cell Keystone Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 5:484-91. 2012..Thus, we identified a list of 60 EZH2 target genes and established that ALDH1A1 is a novel EZH2 target gene in EOC cells. Our results suggest a role for EZH2 in regulating EOC stem cell equilibrium via regulation of ALDH1A1 expression...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity does not select for cells with enhanced aggressive properties in malignant melanomaLina Prasmickaite
Department of Tumour Biology, Oslo University Hospital Radiumhospitalet, Oslo, Norway
PLoS ONE 5:e10731. 2010..Rather, it is suggested that multiple cell populations are implicated in initiation and progression of the disease, making it of importance to identify subpopulations with elevated aggressive properties...
- Monensin is a potent inducer of oxidative stress and inhibitor of androgen signaling leading to apoptosis in prostate cancer cellsKirsi Ketola
Medical Biotechnology, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, PL 106, 20521 Turku, Finland
Mol Cancer Ther 9:3175-85. 2010..Moreover, our data suggest a general strategy by which the effects of antiandrogens could be enhanced by combinatorial administration with agents that increase oxidative stress in prostate cancer cells...
- Mitochondrial import of PKCepsilon is mediated by HSP90: a role in cardioprotection from ischaemia and reperfusion injuryGrant R Budas
Department of Chemical and Systems Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5174, USA
Cardiovasc Res 88:83-92. 2010..Heat shock protein 90 (HSP90) is a cytoprotective protein chaperone that participates in mitochondrial import of a number of proteins. Here, we investigated the role of HSP90 in mitochondrial import of PKCepsilon...
- ALDH2 in alcoholic heart diseases: molecular mechanism and clinical implicationsYingmei Zhang
Department of Cardiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, China
Pharmacol Ther 132:86-95. 2011..Findings from our group and others have revealed that the mitochondrial isoform of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), which metabolizes acetaldehyde, governs the detoxification of acetaldehyde formed following ..
- Association of aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 gene polymorphism with multiple oesophageal dysplasia in head and neck cancer patientsM Muto
Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology and Gastroenterology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Japan
Gut 47:256-61. 2000..Acetaldehyde, the first metabolite of ethanol, is thought to play an important role in the carcinogenesis of the upper aerodigestive tract...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase activation prevents reperfusion arrhythmias by inhibiting local renin release from cardiac mast cellsKenichiro Koda
Department of Pharmacology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
Circulation 122:771-81. 2010..This exacerbates norepinephrine release and reperfusion arrhythmias (ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation), making RAS a new therapeutic target in myocardial ischemia...
- Ras activation contributes to the maintenance and expansion of Sca-1pos cells in a mouse model of breast cancerRan Ju Kim
Laboratory of Tumor Suppressor, Lee Gil Ya Cancer and Diabetes Research Institute, Gachon University of Medicine and Science, Incheon, South Korea
Cancer Lett 287:172-81. 2010..The Ras farnesylation inhibitor (FTI-277) suppressed the maintenance and expansion of CSCs. Therefore, selective inhibition of Ras activation may be useful for stem-specific cancer therapy...
- Polymorphisms of alcohol dehydrogenase-1B and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 and the blood and salivary ethanol and acetaldehyde concentrations of Japanese alcoholic menAkira Yokoyama
National Hospital Organization Kurihama Alcoholism Center, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 34:1246-56. 2010The effects of genetic polymorphism of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) on alcohol metabolism are striking in nonalcoholics, and the effects of genetic polymorphism of alcohol dehydrogenase-1B (ADH1B) are modest at most, whereas genetic ..
- Isolation and characterization of progenitor-like cells from human renal proximal tubulesDavid Lindgren
Center for Molecular Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, SUS Malmö, Malmo, Sweden
Am J Pathol 178:828-37. 2011..Herein, we demonstrate that aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity may be used for isolation of cells with progenitor characteristics from adult human renal ..
- Overexpression of a stress-inducible aldehyde dehydrogenase gene from Arabidopsis thaliana in transgenic plants improves stress toleranceRamanjulu Sunkar
Institute of Botany, University of Bonn, Kirschallee 1, Bonn 53115, Germany
Plant J 35:452-64. 2003..We suggest that Ath-ALDH3 could be used to obtain plants with tolerance to diverse environmental stresses...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 7A1 (ALDH7A1) is a novel enzyme involved in cellular defense against hyperosmotic stressChad Brocker
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Biol Chem 285:18452-63. 2010..ALDH7A1 protein was found in the cytosol, nucleus, and mitochondria, making it unique among the aldehyde dehydrogenase enzymes...
- Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase and cardiac diseasesChe Hong Chen
Department of Chemical and Systems Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5174, USA
Cardiovasc Res 88:51-7. 2010....
- Revascularization of ischemic limbs after transplantation of human bone marrow cells with high aldehyde dehydrogenase activityBenjamin J Capoccia
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Blood 113:5340-51. 2009..the vascular regenerative potential of transplanted human bone marrow (BM) cells purified by high aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH(hi)) activity, a progenitor cell function conserved between several lineages...
- Attenuation of acetaldehyde-induced cell injury by overexpression of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) transgene in human cardiac myocytes: role of MAP kinase signalingShi Yan Li
Center for Cardiovascular Research and Alterative Medicine, Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 40:283-94. 2006..was designed to examine the impact of facilitated acetaldehyde metabolism using transfection of human aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) transgene on acetaldehyde- and ethanol-induced cell injury...
- ALDH activity indicates increased tumorigenic cells, but not cancer stem cells, in prostate cancer cell linesChunyan Yu
Department of Urology, University of Michigan Medical School, 5111 CCGC, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0940, USA
In Vivo 25:69-76. 2011..The enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) has been found to identify hematopoietic stem cells and our aim was to determine the utility of ..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 in cardiac protection: a new therapeutic target?Grant R Budas
Department of Chemical and Systems Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5174, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 19:158-64. 2009Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) is emerging as a key enzyme involved in cytoprotection in the heart...
- Inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 by oxidative stress is associated with cardiac dysfunction in diabetic ratsJiali Wang
Department of Emergency, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, China
Mol Med 17:172-9. 2011..b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) has been considered a key cardioprotective enzyme susceptible to oxidative inactivation...
- Breast cancer chemoresistance: emerging importance of cancer stem cellsSuebwong Chuthapisith
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Surg Oncol 19:27-32. 2010..Overexpression of ABC transporters, detoxification enzymes (aldehyde dehydrogenase), low cell turn over rate and the ability to activate the DNA check point response are possibly all ..
- Pooled analysis of alcohol dehydrogenase genotypes and head and neck cancer: a HuGE reviewPaul Brennan
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Am J Epidemiol 159:1-16. 2004..fast metabolizing alleles for alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH), ADH1B*2 and ADH1C*1, and the null allele for aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), ALDH2*2, results in increased acetylaldehyde levels and is hypothesized to increase the risk of ..
- Targeting breast stem cells with the cancer preventive compounds curcumin and piperineMadhuri Kakarala
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, 2150 Cancer Center, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 122:777-85. 2010..the effects of these compounds on mammosphere formation, expression of the breast stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), and Wnt signaling...
- High aldehyde dehydrogenase activity: a novel functional marker of murine prostate stem/progenitor cellsPatricia E Burger
Division of Immunology, Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Stem Cells 27:2220-8. 2009..We now report that high levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity are present in a subset of prostate epithelial cells that coexpress a number of antigens ..
- Heterogeneity for stem cell-related markers according to tumor subtype and histologic stage in breast cancerSo Yeon Park
Department of Pathology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Clin Cancer Res 16:876-87. 2010..To evaluate the expression of stem cell-related markers at the cellular level in human breast tumors of different subtypes and histologic stage...
- ALDH1A1 and ALDH3A1 expression in lung cancers: correlation with histologic type and potential precursorsMiten Patel
Department of Medicine, University of Florida, FL, USA
Lung Cancer 59:340-9. 2008We hypothesize that aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) isozymes may be upregulated in lung tissue as a result of exposure to carcinogenic aldehydes found in cigarette smoke...
- Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) protects against streptozotocin-induced diabetic cardiomyopathy: role of GSK3β and mitochondrial functionYingmei Zhang
Department of Cardiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, 710032, China
BMC Med 10:40. 2012Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) displays some promise in the protection against cardiovascular diseases although its role in diabetes has not been elucidated.
- The combined use of Hoechst efflux ability and aldehyde dehydrogenase activity to identify murine and human hematopoietic stem cellsDaniel J Pearce
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Laboratory, Cancer Research UK, London Research Institute, London, UK
Exp Hematol 35:1437-46. 2007..Elevated levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) have been demonstrated in murine and human progenitor cells when compared to other hematopoietic ..
- Genotypic and phenotypic spectrum of pyridoxine-dependent epilepsy (ALDH7A1 deficiency)Philippa B Mills
Institute of Child Health, University College London with Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, National Health Service Trust, London, UK
Brain 133:2148-59. 2010..These findings support the use of biochemical and DNA tests for antiquitin deficiency and a clinical trial of pyridoxine in infants and children with epilepsy across a broad range of clinical scenarios...
- Inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase expands hematopoietic stem cells with radioprotective capacityGarrett G Muramoto
Division of Cellular Therapy, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Stem Cells 28:523-34. 2010Hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) are enriched for aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity and ALDH is a selectable marker for human HSCs. However, the function of ALDH in HSC biology is not well understood...
- Wine yeast sirtuins and Gcn5p control aging and metabolism in a natural growth mediumHelena Orozco
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Instituto de Agroquimica y Tecnologia de Alimentos CSIC, Av Agustin Escardino 7, Paterna 46980, Spain
Mech Ageing Dev 133:348-58. 2012..We discovered that gcn5Δ mutant strain displays strongly increased aldehyde dehydrogenase Ald6p activity, caused by blocking of Ald6p degradation by autophagy under nitrogen limitation conditions, ..
- Role of insulin-like growth factor-1 signaling pathway in cisplatin-resistant lung cancer cellsYunguang Sun
Department of Radiation Oncology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232 5671, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:e563-72. 2012..We aimed to identify some of the molecular mechanisms that underlie cisplatin resistance using microarray expression analysis...
- Role of ALDH7A1 in Ethanol-Induced Oxidative DamageCHAD NICHOLAS BROCKER; Fiscal Year: 2011..The long term goal of this study aims to elucidate the protective functions of aldehyde dehydrogenase 7A1 (ALDH7A1) during ethanol-induced oxidative stress...
- Role of Mitochondrial Aldehyde Dehydrogenases in Ethanol Metabolism and ToxicityVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2010..Impaired acetaldehyde metabolism is associated with polymorphisms in the human aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) enzymes;these may influence drinking behavior and risk for developing alcoholic liver disease...
- Histamine Receptor Norepinephrine in Cardiac DysfunctionRoberto Levi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The contribution of adenosine A2b/A3-receptors, protein kinase C5 (PKC5) and aldehyde dehydrogenase type-2 (ALDH2) to preconditioning-mediated anti-RAS effects will be studied in isolated guinea- pig and ..
- A Novel Therapy for Radiation-Induced Xerostomia Using Human Salivary Stem CellsQUYNH THU XUAN LE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Efforts are needed to improve their isolation, survival in culture and engraftment in vivo. Aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes (ALDH) are well-known stem cell markers whose activity levels correlate with the ability of ..
- BDADs for Male ContraceptionJohn K Amory; Fiscal Year: 2013..The disulfiram reaction is now known to be caused by the inhibition of the liver enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), normally involved in the metabolism of alcohol...
- Bifunctional Nitric Oxide Donor Refractory to Nitrate ToleranceGARRY JOHN SOUTHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..is limited in efficacy due to the rapid induction of tachyphylaxis, via its inactivation of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase. The introduction of a nitrate therapy free of tolerance induction would represent a significant ..
- Detoxification of Biogeneic Aldehydes in Parkinson's DiseaseRandy Strong; Fiscal Year: 2013..linked to dopaminergic dysfunction;we created two lines of mice, one with homozygous mutations in the two aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes, Aldh1a1 and Aldh2, that are known to be present in midbrain dopamine neurons, and the other a ..
- Defining Molecular Determinants of Type 2 Diabetes Using Quantitative ProteomicsPaul A Grimsrud; Fiscal Year: 2013..A parallel hypothesis I will test is that induction of aldehyde dehydrogenase 3A2 (Aldh3a2) expression and phosphorylation is a compensatory response in obesity for detoxifying ..
- PKC Epsilon in Vascular DysfunctionWei Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..approach and determine whether a novel PKC-[unreadable]-mediated molecular interaction, mitochondria aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), is involved in resistin- induced cellular dysfunction (SA2c)...
- Activation and Inhibition of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 2Thomas D Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2013The mitochondrial form of aldehyde dehydrogenase participates in multiple metabolic pathways in humans, including the metabolism of endogenous and biogenic aldehydes, most notably acetaldehyde during ethanol metabolism, and as the ..
- In vivo model of hypoxia in Ewing SarcomaJoanna B Kitlinska; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have also shown hypoxia-induced enrichment in ESFT cells with a high activity of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), characterized as cancer stem cells, as well as identified neuropeptide Y (NPY), an EWS-FLI1 target ..
- MECHANISMS OF ETHANOL-INDUCED CARDIAC PROTECTIONDaria Mochly-Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the past funding period, we found that activation of the mitochondrial enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase 2, ALDH2, appears to be required and sufficient for ethanol-induced cardiac protection from ischemia...
- Exploring Sarcoma Metastatic PotentialKURT RICHARD WEISS; Fiscal Year: 2013..He has recently discovered that stem cell-associated factors, specifically aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) and Notch1, are differentially expressed in OS cells with different metastatic phenotypes...
- Anthrax Toxin Receptor as a marker and target of breast cancer stem cellsHarikrishna Nakshatri; Fiscal Year: 2012..cancer cells with the cell surface marker expression profile of CD44? or expressing higher levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 are described as cancer stem cells (CSCs)...
- Mechanism of Peroxiredoxin 3 in a Model of Pesticide-Mediated NeurodegenerationJAMES R ROEDE; Fiscal Year: 2012..To examine MB-mediated effects, aldehyde dehydrogenase activity and intracellular copper accumulation will be measured...
- Metabolic Imaging of the Cardioprotective Effects of Alcohol and ALDH2 ActivatorsDaniel M Spielman; Fiscal Year: 2013..effects of ethanol proceeds through a direct preconditioning-like mechanism ultimately activating aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), the major mitochondrial enzyme for removing toxic aldehydes arising from oxidative stress...
- Human Breast Cancer Stem Cell SurrogatesWendy A Woodward; Fiscal Year: 2012..are positive for the expression of cancer stem cell markers of tumor initiating capacity;CD44+CD24- and aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1)...
- Eliciting protective mechanisms against alcoholismEmanuel Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2010..A dominant negative allele of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) found in East Asians codes for an inactive ALDH2*2 that does not metabolize acetaldehyde ..
- Role and Molecular Mechanisms of Corneal Aldehyde DehydrogenaseVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is anticipated that the information gleaned from these studies will lead to novel approaches for the prevention and treatment of eye diseases in the human population. ..
- Mitochondrial Acetylation Modification in Regulating Drug-Induced Liver Zhongping Lu; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have identified sereral npvel SIRT3 dpape^yjatipn targets, including niitpchpridrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2), apoptosisririducing factpli(AlF), ATP synthetase arsubunit (ATRa) and heat shock protein 10 (..
- Organochlorine-Mediated Generation of a Dopamine Derived NeurotoxinJonathan A Doorn; Fiscal Year: 2012..DA is metabolized to the toxic intermediate, DOPAL, which is oxidized via mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (mALDH) to 3,4-dihydroxyphenyl acetic acid (DOPAC) using the cofactor NAD...
- Mechanisms of In Vivo Ethanol-Induced Mitochondrial DepolarizationZhi Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Aim 2, we will evaluate the role of alcohol dehydrogense (ADH)-, CYP2E1- and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH)-dependent alcohol metabolism on ethanol-induced mitochondrial depolarization using pharmacological ..
- ALCOHOL PHARMACOGENETICS IN MEXICAN AMERICANSYU JUI WAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..These include (1) extremely low allele frequency for both ALDH2*2 (aldehyde dehydrogenase) and ADH2*2 (alcohol dehydrogenase);(2) a relatively high rate of ADH3*2 and CYP2E1 c2 (cytochrome P4502E1)..
- THE CHEMISTRY OF NEW IMAGING AGENTSDEAN SHERRY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Hematopoietic stem cells and progenitors express high levels of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1) and this has become a popular target for identifying and purifying these cells...
- Isolation and small molecule targeting of Ewing's Sarcoma stem cellsJeffrey A Toretsky; Fiscal Year: 2012..employ a variety of assays that have been proposed to identify cancer stem cells, including expression of aldehyde dehydrogenase, dye efflux, the ability to form spherical aggregates under nonadherent conditions, and the expression of ..
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase: A novel regulator of melanin biogenesisAnand K Ganesan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Two validated gene targets identified in this analysis, aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 and aldehyde dehydrogenase 9, are cellular genes involved in metabolizing byproducts of lipid ..
- Novel Role of Corneal Crystallins as Modulators of Cell Growth and TransparencyVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase 3A1 (ALDH3A1) was the first abundantly expressed corneal protein identified and since then several ..
- Cord Blood Biomarkers for EngraftmentKRISTIN PAGE-CHARTRAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..0001), but this assay is lengthy and hard to standardize. Cellular expression of the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) is a marker of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells that can be measured in a segment from a ..
- Mechanisms For Estrogen-Dependent Myocardial Depressant Effect Of EthanolAbdel A Abdel-Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will focus on myocardial catalase and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (mit-ALDH2) because E2 enhancement of their physiological activity confers cardioprotection and both ..
- Autoinflammation in Human MelanomaMayumi Fujita; Fiscal Year: 2013..we identified a subpopulation of human melanoma cells that possess CSC properties and express high aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity...
- Novel Treatment &Screening Strategies in Gamma-Hydroxybutyric AciduriaK Michael Gibson; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Human succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase (SSADH;aldehyde dehydrogenase 5a1 (Aldh5a1)) deficiency is a rare neurogenetic disorder affecting the GABA neurotransmitter system...
- Center for Gene Environment in Parkinson's DiseaseMARIE FRANCOISE S CHESSELET; Fiscal Year: 2012..on the proteasome, these pesticides to varying extent interfere with microtubule assembly, and/or inhibit aldehyde dehydrogenase, a key detoxification enzyme...
- Tumor Hypoxia: Molecular Studies and Clinical ExploitationAmato J Giaccia; Fiscal Year: 2013..and submandibular glands through the exploitation of the PHD/VHL/HIF pathway and metabolic activation of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH3A2)...
- Developmental Signaling Pathways in Pancreatic CancerAnirban Maitra; Fiscal Year: 2013..putative cancer stem cell (CSC) compartment in PDAC, delineated by high levels of expression of the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase. This minor subpopulation of ALDH "bright" cells is capable of self-renewal and tumor initiation, and is ..
- HNO-donating Prodrugs for Use as Pharmaceuticals and Biomedical Research ToolsDebra J Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Bioactivation of cyanamide produces the metabolite nitroxyl (HNO), which acts as an inhibitor of aldehyde dehydrogenase (AIDH) via thiol modification...
- Real-Time Assessment of Alcohol Use Across ALDH2 GenotypesSusan E Luczak; Fiscal Year: 2010..alcohol involvement assessment protocol that will make it possible to test the mechanistic pathway of the aldehyde dehydrogenase gene ALDH2...
- Centroacinar progenitors in mouse and zebrafish pancreasSteven D Leach; Fiscal Year: 2013..strategy involves isolating cells based upon high expression of the retinoic acid-synthesizing enzyme, Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1)...
- Enzymology and Molecular Biology of Carbonyl Metabolism XVHenry Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2010..The three enzyme families discussed at the meeting are alcohol dehydrogenase, aldehyde dehydrogenase and carbonyl reductase...
- Cellular diversity and clinical relevance of stem cells in pancreatic cancerWilliam H Matsui; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have found that pancreatic cancer cells with increased tumorigenic potential express aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), a detoxifying enzyme expressed by many normal stem cells...
- ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASE AND PATHOGENESIS OF ALCOHOLISMREGINA PIETRUSZKO; Fiscal Year: 1993..metabolism of ethanol with that of biogenic amines (such as dopamine and serotonin) occurs at the level of aldehyde dehydrogenase. In this proposal additional evidence is discussed which suggests that metabolism of plutrescine and ..
- GENETICS OF ALCOHOLISM IN AMERICAN INDIANSRichard Deitrich; Fiscal Year: 1993..The mutation is a single base pair substitution that renders the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) inactive...
- Ichthyosis in Sjogren-Larsson SyndromeWilliam B Rizzo; Fiscal Year: 2010..SLS) is an inherited neurocutaneous disorder caused by mutations in the ALDH3A2 gene that encodes fatty aldehyde dehydrogenase (FALDH)...
- GENETIC DISSECTION OF ALCOHOL/RETINOL METABOLIC PATHWAYSGregg Duester; Fiscal Year: 2002..Likewise, there exists an aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) family containing members preferring retinal, the aldehyde form of vitamin A, as a substrate over ..
- RESPONSE TO ALCOHOL IN ASIAN MEN AND WOMENTAMARA WALL; Fiscal Year: 2000..factors, such as polymorphisms of the alcohol metabolizing enzymes, alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), as responsible for alcohol-induced flushing, differences in alcohol and acetaldehyde degradation, ..
- GENETIC AND DIETARY CONTROL OF ALCOHOL METABOLISMBILLY GEER; Fiscal Year: 1992..Whether ADH or an aldehyde dehydrogenase catalyzes the acetaldehyde-to acetate step of the ADH pathway of ethanol degradation will be examined and ..
- NEW ISOPHOSPHORAMIDE MUSTARD PRODRUGSDavid Farquhar; Fiscal Year: 2005..Although several resistance mechanisms have been identified, elevated aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) levels plays a prominent role in many murine and human tumor cell lines...
- Protein Modification by 3,4-DihydroxyphenylacetaldehydeJONATHAN DOORN; Fiscal Year: 2006..yield 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetaldehyde (DOPAL), which is metabolized primarily to an acid via mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) but also to an alcohol by aldehyde reductase (ALR)...
- Endothelial Metabolism of Atherogenic AldehydesSanjay Srivastava; Fiscal Year: 2005..pathways of aldehyde metabolism due to phospholipases, platelet activating factor-acetylhydrolase and aldehyde dehydrogenase. To assess the toxicological significance of the aldose reductase-catalyzed pathway, we will examine ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS AND CORNEAL ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASEVasilis Vasiliou; Fiscal Year: 2002..of this project is to elucidate the molecular mechanisms of expression and the role of the corneal Class 3 aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH3c; mouse AHD4)...
- DISPOSITION METABOLISM & TOXICITY OF HALOALDEHYDESDEAN CARTER; Fiscal Year: 1992..Inhibitors of the alcohol dehydrogenase, aldehyde dehydrogenase, mixed function oxidases, and the glutathione synthesis enzymes will be administered prior to the ..
- Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 3B1: Characterization and Role in Oxidative StressSatori Marchitti; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) enzymes play a major role in cell survival by detoxifying these products...
- Combinatorial inhibitors of aldehyde dehydrogenaseELENI ANNI; Fiscal Year: 2005..is based on blocking the metabolism of ethanol-derived acetaldehyde by disulfiram, an inhibitor of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH)...
- CULTURED HEPATOCYTES AS A MODEL OF ALCOHOL METABOLISMBarry Potter; Fiscal Year: 1990..Regulation of acetaldehyde metabolism and the effect of prolonged exposure to ethanol on alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenase activities will be investigated...
- PHARMACOLOGY OF DISULFIRAMJames Lipsky; Fiscal Year: 1999..This drug interferes with the metabolism of ethanol by the inhibition of the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH)...
- Carbamathione, A Novel Disulfiram Metabolite for Cocaine DependenceMORRIS FAIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Inhibition of liver mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), the pharmacological basis for its use in alcoholism treatment, is due to S-methyl N, N-..
- MECHANISMS OF ETHANOL-INDUCED CARDIAC PROTECTIONDaria Mochly Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the past funding period, we found that activation of the mitochondrial enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase 2, ALDH2, appears to be required and sufficient for ethanol-induced cardiac protection from ischemia...
- Effect of ethanol on retinoid metabolism and signaling in zebrafish embryosWILLIAM BOSRON; Fiscal Year: 2007..the content of alcohol metabolizing enzymes and variants (initially alcohol dehydrogenase and eventually aldehyde dehydrogenase and microsomal ethanol oxidizing CYP isoenzymes) in human tissues (liver and esophagus)...
- Enumeration & Isolation of Human Hematopoietic Stem CellANDREW BALBER; Fiscal Year: 2002..banks to use flow cytometers to enumerate HSP cells that express high levels of the intracellular enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase ["ALDH bright cells"] This research program will demonstrate one important advantage of the StemCo ..
- HUMAN ALCOHOL & ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASESTing Kai Li; Fiscal Year: 1999..Alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) are the principal enzymes responsible for ethanol metabolism in the liver...
- HUMAN ALCOHOL AND ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASESTing Kai Li; Fiscal Year: 1990..Alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) are the principal enzymes responsible for ethanol metabolism in the liver...
- HUMAN ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASE & ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASEAkira Yoshida; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- STRUCTURAL CHARACTERIZATION OF ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASEJohn Hempel; Fiscal Year: 2000APPLICANT'S ABSTRACT: Our objective is to understand the molecular basis of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) function. Liver ALDHs act in human alcohol metabolism, to clear ethanol-derived acetaldehyde...
- NMR DETERMINATION OF STRUCTURE OF ALDH SIGNAL PEPTIDEHenry Weiner; Fiscal Year: 1991Liver mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase is coded by a nuclear gene and after being synthesized on a ribosome must be transported across the two mitochondrial membranes...
- COVALENT MODIFICATION OF PROTEINS BY DISULFIRAMLISA ZIMMERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..will determine the site and structure of the covalent modifications produced on proteins, including aldehyde dehydrogenase, by disulfiram and its metabolites using in vitro and in vivo systems...
- INTERACTION OF ALDH WITH MITOCHONDRIAL IMPORT APPARATUSHenry Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2000..during the metabolism of ethanol is oxidized in the matrix space of the mitochondria by the action of aldehyde dehydrogenase. The nuclear coded enzyme, after being synthesized on free ribosomes, must be translocated into the ..