- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
M D Cappellini
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Policlinico, Mangiagalli, Regina Elena Foundation IRCCS, Via F Sforza 35, Milan, Italy
Lancet 371:64-74. 2008
..The most effective management of G6PD deficiency is to prevent haemolysis by avoiding oxidative stress. Screening programmes for the disorder are undertaken, depending on the prevalence of G6PD deficiency in a particular community...
- X-linked G6PD deficiency protects hemizygous males but not heterozygous females against severe malaria
Malaria Research and Training Center, Faculty of Medicine, Pharmacy, and Odontostomatology, University of Bamako, Mali
PLoS Med 4:e66. 2007
..These proposals are paradoxical, and they are not consistent with currently hypothesized mechanisms of protection...
- Positively selected G6PD-Mahidol mutation reduces Plasmodium vivax density in Southeast Asians
Institut Pasteur, Laboratoire de la Génétique de la réponse aux infections chez l homme, 75724 Paris, France
Science 326:1546-9. 2009
..We found that the G6PD-Mahidol(487A) variant reduces vivax, but not falciparum, parasite density in humans, which indicates that Plasmodium vivax has been a driving force behind the strong selective advantage conferred by this mutation...
- Targeted disruption of the housekeeping gene encoding glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD): G6PD is dispensable for pentose synthesis but essential for defense against oxidative stress
P P Pandolfi
Department of Haematology, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, London, UK
EMBO J 14:5209-15. 1995
..Their markedly impaired cloning efficiency is restored by reducing the oxygen tension. We conclude that G6PD activity is dispensable for pentose synthesis, but is essential to protect cells against even mild oxidative stress...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) mutations database: review of the "old" and update of the new mutations
Laboratory of Clinical Molecular Diagnostics, Institute of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, Catholic University of Rome, Italy
Blood Cells Mol Dis 48:154-65. 2012
..Finally, for the "old" mutations, we tried to verify features previously reported and, when subsequently modified, we updated the specific information using the latest literature data...
- G6PD deficiency: the genotype-phenotype association
Philip J Mason
Division of Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, Campus Box 8125, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Blood Rev 21:267-83. 2007
..The severe mutations mostly affect residues at the dimer interface or those that interact with a structural NADP molecule that stabilizes the enzyme...
- Impact of the method of G6PD deficiency assessment on genetic association studies of malaria susceptibility
Marla K Johnson
Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7246. 2009
..Analyses have been complicated by varied methods used to diagnose G6PD deficiency...
- Consideration of ethics in primaquine therapy against malaria transmission
J Kevin Baird
Eijkman Oxford Clinical Research Unit, Jakarta, Indonesia
Trends Parasitol 27:11-6. 2011
..The early clinical work does not seem to afford an adequate assessment of safety in G6PDd patients. Potential risk of harm without clinical benefit to the patient raises ethical questions that should be examined...
- Allelic heterogeneity of G6PD deficiency in West Africa and severe malaria susceptibility
Taane G Clark
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 17:1080-5. 2009
..Our results highlight some of the consequences of allelic heterogeneity, particularly the increased type I error. They also suggest that G6PD-deficient male hemizygotes and female heterozygotes are protected from severe malaria...
- Failure to increase glucose consumption through the pentose-phosphate pathway results in the death of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase gene-deleted mouse embryonic stem cells subjected to oxidative stress
IGB Adriano Buzzati Traverso CNR, Via G Marconi 12, 80125 Napoli, Italy
Biochem J 370:935-43. 2003
..Moreover, bacterial G6PD can substitute for the human enzyme, strongly suggesting that a relatively simple mechanism of enzyme kinetics underlies this phenomenon...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency enhances enterovirus 71 infection
Hung Yao Ho
Graduate Institute of Medical Biotechnology and Department of Medical Biotechnology and Laboratory Science, Chang Gung University, Kwei San, Tao Yuan, Taiwan, ROC
J Gen Virol 89:2080-9. 2008
..These findings support the notion that G6PD status, and thus redox balance, is an important determinant of enteroviral infection...
- Haplotype diversity and linkage disequilibrium at human G6PD: recent origin of alleles that confer malarial resistance
S A Tishkoff
Department of Biology, Biology Psychology Building, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Science 293:455-62. 2001
..These results support the hypothesis that malaria has had a major impact on humans only since the introduction of agriculture within the past 10,000 years and provide a striking example of the signature of selection on the human genome...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase laboratory assay: How, when, and why?
Laboratory of Clinical Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, Catholic University of Rome, Rome, Italy
IUBMB Life 61:27-34. 2009
..Finally, this review is aimed to give a flow-chart for the complete diagnostic approach of G6PD-deficiency...
- In Tanzania, hemolysis after a single dose of primaquine coadministered with an artemisinin is not restricted to glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase-deficient (G6PD A-) individuals
Seif A Shekalaghe
Department of Medical Microbiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1762-8. 2010
..PQ may cause moderate anemia when coadministered with artemisinins, and excluding individuals based on G6PD status alone may not be sufficient to prevent PQ-induced hemolysis...
- Maternally transmitted severe glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency is an embryonic lethal
Department of Human Genetics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
EMBO J 21:4229-39. 2002
..Most importantly, G6PD is indispensable for survival when the embryo is exposed to oxygen through its blood supply...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and malaria: cytochemical detection of heterozygous G6PD deficiency in women
Anna L Peters
Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam
J Histochem Cytochem 57:1003-11. 2009
..For women, the cytochemical assay is recommended. However, this assay is more expensive and difficult to perform and should be simplified into a kit for use in developing countries...
- Genetic predictors for stroke in children with sickle cell anemia
Jonathan M Flanagan
Department of Hematology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Blood 117:6681-4. 2011
..Further investigation at these genetic regions may help define mutations that confer stroke risk or protection in children with SCA...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency enhances human coronavirus 229E infection
Yi Hsuan Wu
Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chang Gung University, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
J Infect Dis 197:812-6. 2008
..All experimental data indicated that oxidative stress in host cells is an important factor in HCoV 229E infectivity...
- Novel steroid inhibitors of glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase
Niall M Hamilton
Cancer Research UK Drug Discovery Unit, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4 BX, UK
J Med Chem 55:4431-45. 2012
..These derivatives may be useful for examining the role of G6PD inhibition in cells and will assist the future design of more potent steroid inhibitors with potential therapeutic utility...
- Aldosterone impairs vascular reactivity by decreasing glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity
Jane A Leopold
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, 700 Albany Street, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Nat Med 13:189-97. 2007
..These findings demonstrate that aldosterone induces a G6PD-deficient phenotype to impair endothelial function; aldosterone antagonism or gene transfer of G6pd improves vascular reactivity by restoring G6PD activity...
- Bovine blastocyst development rate in vitro is influenced by selection of oocytes by brillant cresyl blue staining before IVM as indicator for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity
Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals, 18196 Dummerstorf, Germany
Theriogenology 63:2194-205. 2005
..In addition, G6PDH activity may be useful as a marker for oocyte quality in future studies on factors affecting developmental competence...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity and NADPH/NADP+ ratio in liver and pancreas are dependent on the severity of hyperglycemia in rat
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, IMSS Mexico, Mexico
Life Sci 78:2601-7. 2006
..NADPH/NADP+ is regulated by glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in the liver and pancreas, whereas levels of reduced glutathione are mainly dependent on the NADPH supply...
- Selection of developmentally competent oocytes through brilliant cresyl blue stain enhances blastocyst development rate after bovine nuclear transfer
Research Unit Reproductive Biology, Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals, Wilhelm Stahl Allee 2, D 18196 Dummerstorf, Germany
Theriogenology 67:341-5. 2007
..In addition, G6PDH activity could prove to be a useful marker for determining the oocyte quality in future...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase plays a crucial role in protection from redox-stress-induced apoptosis
Institute of Genetics and Biophysics, Adriano Buzzati Traverso, CNR, Via Marconi 10, Naples 80125, Italy
Cell Death Differ 11:823-31. 2004
..We show that this phenomenon can be regulated by the cellular GSH level...
- Frequency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in malaria patients from six African countries enrolled in two randomized anti-malarial clinical trials
ID MDC Biomedical Data Sciences, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Stockley Park West, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB11 1BT, UK
Malar J 10:241. 2011
..G6PD genotype and phenotype were determined for malaria patients enrolled in the chlorproguanil-dapsone-artesunate (CDA) phase III clinical trial programme...
- Genetic association analysis highlights new loci that modulate hematological trait variation in Caucasians and African Americans
Ken Sin Lo
Montreal Heart Institute, 5000 Belanger Street, Montreal, QC, H1T 1C8, Canada
Hum Genet 129:307-17. 2011
..Our results show similarities but also differences in the genetic regulation of hematological traits in European- and African-derived populations, and highlight the role of natural selection in shaping these differences...
- Mitochondria directly influence fertilisation outcome in the pig
Shahinaz H El Shourbagy
The Mitochondrial and Reproductive Genetics Group, The Medical School, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Reproduction 131:233-45. 2006
- Mouse heat shock transcription factor 1 deficiency alters cardiac redox homeostasis and increases mitochondrial oxidative damage
Liang Jun Yan
Department of Internal Medicine, Molecular Cardiology Research Laboratories, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8573, USA
EMBO J 21:5164-72. 2002
- Functional analyses of cytosolic glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenases and their contribution to seed oil accumulation in Arabidopsis
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Plant Physiol 146:277-88. 2008
- Evidence for balancing selection from nucleotide sequence analyses of human G6PD
Brian C Verrelli
Department of Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Am J Hum Genet 71:1112-28. 2002
..The present study demonstrates that nucleotide sequence analyses can reveal signatures of both historical and recent selection in the genome and may elucidate the impact that infectious disease has had during human evolution...
- G6PD--an old bottle with new wine
Hung Yao Ho
Graduate Institute of Medical Biotechnology and Department of Medical Biotechnology and Laboratory Science, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 28:606-12. 2005
..Recently, numerous studies have shown the importance of G6PD in cell growth, development and disease progression...
- Association of G6PD with lower haemoglobin concentration but not increased haemolysis in patients with sickle cell anaemia
Center for Sickle Cell Disease, Howard University, Washington, DC 20060, USA
Br J Haematol 150:218-25. 2010
..007), and increased severe pain episodes (P < 0.001). In conclusion, G6PD(202A,376G) may be associated with lower haemoglobin concentration in sickle cell anaemia by a mechanism other than increased haemolysis...
- Impaired dephosphorylation renders G6PD-knockdown HepG2 cells more susceptible to H(2)O(2)-induced apoptosis
Chang Jun Lin
Graduate Institute of Medical Biotechnology, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Free Radic Biol Med 49:361-73. 2010
..Taken together, these findings suggest that G6PD knockdown enhances the magnitude and duration of H(2)O(2)-induced MAPK signaling through inhibition of cellular PTPs, and the resultant anomalous signaling may lead to cell demise...
- Diabetes causes inhibition of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase via activation of PKA, which contributes to oxidative stress in rat kidney cortex
Renal Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F1040-7. 2005
..In conclusion, chronic hyperglycemia caused inhibition of G6PD activity via decreased expression and increased phosphorylation of G6PD, which therefore led to increased oxidative stress...
- Catechin gallates are NADP+-competitive inhibitors of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and other enzymes that employ NADP+ as a coenzyme
Eui Seok Shin
R and D Center, AmorePacific Corporation, 314 1 Bora dong, Giheung gu, Yongin, Gyeonggi 446 729, Republic of Korea
Bioorg Med Chem 16:3580-6. 2008
- Red cell glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase status and pyruvate kinase activity in a Nigerian population
Institute for Tropical Medicine, Medical Faculty Charité, Humboldt University Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 5:119-23. 2000
..As a consequence, the reduced life span of red cells leads to an impaired diagnosis of G6PD heterozygosity when applying routine biochemical methods...
- Overexpression of G6PD is associated with poor clinical outcome in gastric cancer
Department of General Surgery, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Xiangya Road, Changsha, 410008 Hunan, China
Tumour Biol 33:95-101. 2012
..013). In conclusion, overexpression of G6PD is closely related to progression of gastric cancer, and might be regarded as an independent predictor of poor prognosis for gastric cancer...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase-derived NADPH fuels superoxide production in the failing heart
Sachin A Gupte
Department of Physiology, BSB Room 626, New York Medical College, Valhalla, 10595, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 41:340-9. 2006
..We conclude that the activation of myocardial G6PD is a novel mechanism that enhances NADPH availability and fuels superoxide-generating enzymes in heart failure...
- Hemolysis and Mediterranean G6PD mutation (c.563 C>T) and c.1311 C>T polymorphism among Palestinians at Gaza Strip
Associated Regional and University Pathologists, Inc, ARUP Laboratories and University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 2408, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 48:203-8. 2012
..We then established the prevalence of c.563T Mediterranean mutation and its linkage to c.1311 C>T polymorphism in this population...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase status and severity of malarial anaemia in Nigerian children
Adebola Emmanuel Orimadegun
Institute of Child Health, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan Nigeria
J Infect Dev Ctries 5:792-8. 2011
..We hypothesised that, being a haemolytic factor, Gd- makes severe malarial anaemia (SMA) more common and even more severe...
- Positive control of a global antioxidant defense regulon activated by superoxide-generating agents in Escherichia coli
J T Greenberg
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87:6181-5. 1990
..These latter changes confer resistance to a variety of antibiotics. The soxR regulon may thus operate as an inducible defense against xenobiotics in general...
- Glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency increases redox stress and moderately accelerates the development of heart failure
Peter A Hecker
Division of Cardiology and Department of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Circ Heart Fail 6:118-26. 2013
..Therefore, G6PD deficiency might prevent heart failure by decreasing NADPH and reactive oxygen species production...
- Identification of the structural gene for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in yeast. Inactivation leads to a nutritional requirement for organic sulfur
Laboratoire d Enzymologie du CNRS, Gif sur Yvette, France
EMBO J 10:547-53. 1991
..That AdoMet controls a part of the pentose phosphate pathway sheds new light on mechanisms regulating the relative fluxes of carbon utilization through the pentose phosphate pathway and glycolysis...
- Effect of zwf gene knockout on the metabolism of Escherichia coli grown on glucose or acetate
Metabolome Unit, Institute for Advanced Biosciences, Keio University, Tsuruoka, Japan
Metab Eng 6:164-74. 2004
- Dietary regulation of expression of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase
L M Salati
Department of Biochemistry, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 21:121-40. 2001
..Understanding the mechanisms by which nutrients alter nuclear posttranscriptional events will help uncover new information on the breadth of mechanisms involved in gene regulation...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and antimalarial drug development
The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:779-89. 2007
..Additionally, the issues important for conducting larger clinical trials in populations in which G6PD deficiency is prevalent are examined, with a particular focus on antimalarial drug development...
- Host erythrocyte polymorphisms and exposure to Plasmodium falciparum in Papua New Guinea
Freya J I Fowkes
The Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, UK
Malar J 7:1. 2008
..If this were the case, variable levels of parasitaemia and rates of seroconversion to infected-erythrocyte variant surface antigens (VSA) should be seen in different host genotypes...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase modulates cytosolic redox status and contractile phenotype in adult cardiomyocytes
Cardiac Muscle Research Laboratory, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute and Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass, USA
Circ Res 93:e9-16. 2003
..The full text of this article is available online at http://www.circresaha.org...
- Genome-wide analysis of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenases in Arabidopsis
Genetics Program and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Plant J 41:243-56. 2005
..Genomic data, gene expression, and in vivo enzyme activity data were integrated with in vitro biochemical data to propose in vivo roles for individual G6PDH isoforms in Arabidopsis...
- A new G6PD knockdown tumor-cell line with reduced proliferation and increased susceptibility to oxidative stress
Department of Biochemistry, Kunming Medical University, 191 West Renmin Road, Kunming, People s Republic of China
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 24:81-90. 2009
..Together, our data support the important functions of G6PD in the regulation of cell growth and antioxidative capacity of tumor cells...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) mutations in Thailand: G6PD Viangchan (871G>A) is the most common deficiency variant in the Thai population
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Hum Mutat 19:185. 2002
..With the data from other Southeast Asian ethnic groups such as Laotians, G6PD Viangchan (871G>A) is probably the most common variant in non-Chinese Southeast Asian population...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase--from oxidative stress to cellular functions and degenerative diseases
Hung Yao Ho
Graduate Institute of Medical Biotechnology and Department of Medical Biotechnology and Laboratory Science, Chang Gung University, Kwei San, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Redox Rep 12:109-18. 2007
..The present review covers recent developments in this field. Additionally, molecular characterization of G6PD variants, especially those frequently found in Taiwan and Southern China, is also addressed...
- Reduced prevalence of Plasmodium falciparum infection and of concomitant anaemia in pregnant women with heterozygous G6PD deficiency
Frank P Mockenhaupt
Institut für Tropenmedizin Berlin, Charite, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 8:118-24. 2003
..This advantage, even if confined to multigravid women, may contribute to the selection of G6PD variants in malaria-endemic regions...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and ferredoxin-NADP(H) reductase contribute to damage repair during the soxRS response of Escherichia coli
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Rosario IBR, CONICET, División Biología Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Bioquimicas y Farmaceuticas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Suipacha 531, 2000 Rosario, Argentina
Microbiology 152:1119-28. 2006
- Fatty acid synthesis and the oxidative pentose phosphate pathway in developing embryos of oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.)
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, 3 614 Stopford Building, Oxford Street, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
J Exp Bot 56:577-85. 2005
- Cloning and characterization of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa zwf gene encoding glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, an enzyme important in resistance to methyl viologen (paraquat)
J F Ma
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio 45267 0524, USA
J Bacteriol 180:1741-9. 1998
..Since one by-product of G6PDH activity is NADPH, the latter data suggest that this cofactor is essential for the activity of enzymes critical in defense against paraquat toxicity...
- Glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency: from genotype to phenotype
Haematologica 91:1303-6. 2006
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase is the target for the trypanocidal action of human steroids
Research Unit for Tropical Diseases, de Duve Institute, TROP 74 39, Avenue Hippocrate 74, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Mol Biochem Parasitol 176:112-5. 2011
..Therefore, the compounds offer promise for use in development of parasite-selective drugs...
- Quantifying interactions within the NADP(H) enzyme network in Drosophila melanogaster
Thomas J S Merritt
Department of Ecology and Evolution, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Genetics 182:565-74. 2009
..melanogaster using naturally occurring alleles. The interactions between all three enzymes indicate functional interdependence and underscore the importance of examining enzymes as components of a network...
- Diagnosis of red cell G6PD deficiency in rural Burkina Faso: comparison of a rapid fluorescent enzyme test on filter paper with polymerase chain reaction based genotyping
Peter E Meissner
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, Ruprecht Karls University, Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Haematol 131:395-9. 2005
..2% (95.8-99.6%) and the specificity was 97.1% (94.2-99.2%). In conclusion, the NFP assay is a reliable and inexpensive method for large-scale G6PD deficiency screening in rural West Africa...
- Developmental competence of heifer oocytes selected using the brilliant cresyl blue (BCB) test
Departament de Ciencia Animal i dels Aliments, Facultat de Veterinaria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Barcelona 08193, Spain
Theriogenology 61:735-44. 2004
..However, fewer heifer oocytes selected using the BCB test develop to blastocyst stage compared to cow oocytes...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase modulates vascular endothelial growth factor-mediated angiogenesis
Jane A Leopold
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute and Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Biol Chem 278:32100-6. 2003
..These findings demonstrate that G6PD modulates angiogenesis and may represent a novel angiogenic regulator...
- Peroxynitrite protects neurons against nitric oxide-mediated apoptosis. A key role for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in neuroprotection
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Universidad de Salamanca, Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, Spain
J Biol Chem 278:864-74. 2003
..In light of these results, we suggest that G6PD activation represents a novel role for peroxynitrite in neuroprotection against nitric oxide-mediated apoptosis...
- Ineffective GSH regeneration enhances G6PD-knockdown Hep G2 cell sensitivity to diamide-induced oxidative damage
Li Ping Gao
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, People s Republic of China
Free Radic Biol Med 47:529-35. 2009
..Consistent with this finding, N-acetylcysteine mitigated diamide-induced oxidative stress and cell death. Our findings suggest that G6PD confers protection against oxidant-induced cytotoxicity through effective glutathione regeneration...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) mutations in Cambodia: G6PD Viangchan (871G>A) is the most common variant in the Cambodian population
Department of Medical Zoology, Jichi Medical School, 3311 1 Yakushij, Minami Kawachi, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
J Hum Genet 50:468-72. 2005
..All G6PD Viangchan cases were linked to two other mutations of 1311C>T and IVS-11 nt93T>C in the G6PD gene...
- Metabolic control analysis aimed at the ribose synthesis pathways of tumor cells: a new strategy for antitumor drug development
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Mol Biol Rep 29:7-12. 2002
- The role of the G6PD AEth376G/968C allele in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in the seerer population of Senegal
Carla De Araujo
Haematologica 91:262-3. 2006
..Here, we show that, the prevalence of G6PD deficiency is 12% in the Sereer ethnic group from Senegal ant that the 376G/968C genotype is predominant; the frequency of the 376G/202A genotype is very low in this ethnic group...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in male premature and term neonates
Department of Neonatology, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Haifa and The Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Science Institute, Israel
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 89:F555-7. 2004
..Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) activity is higher in term neonates than in adults. Some studies have suggested that activity may be even higher in preterm infants...
- Effect of primaquine standard dose (15 mg/day for 14 days) in the treatment of vivax malaria patients in Thailand
Department of Tropical Hygiene, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 32:720-6. 2001
..Daily doses of 15 mg of primaquine for 14 days following a full course of chloroquine when prescribed to Thai G6PD deficient patients where Mahidol variant is predominant, are relatively safe...
- Hepatic hyperplasia and cancer in rats: metabolic alterations associated with cell growth
K N Rao
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania 15213 2582, USA
Gastroenterology 113:238-48. 1997
..The aim of this study was to identify metabolic changes associated with cell growth during hyperplasia and HCC...
- Magnetic resonance angiography-defined intracranial vasculopathy is associated with silent cerebral infarcts and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase mutation in children with sickle cell anaemia
Department of Neurology and Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO, USA
Br J Haematol 159:352-9. 2012
..Intracranial vasculopathy was observed in a minority of children with SCA, and when present, was associated with G6PD status in males and SCI...
- Evaluation of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in two different ethnic groups using a kit employing the haemoglobin normalization procedure
George J Reclos
R and D Diagnostics Ltd, 41 El Venizelou Street, 15561 Holargos, Greece
Clin Biochem 36:393-5. 2003
..Correct evaluation of Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) activity of two ethnic groups using a fully quantitative kit with a simultaneous Hemoglobin Normalization (Hb Normalization) procedure...
- Re-evaluation of methaemoglobin reduction as a screening procedure for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD)
C E Amiwero
Department of Pathology, Specialist Hospital, Bauchi, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 36:177-81. 2007
..With sensitivity and specificity each of 93.3%, the simple qualitative test is dependable and therefore suitable for screening for G6PD...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in term and near-term, male African American neonates
Department of Neonatology, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Clin Chim Acta 355:113-7. 2005
..We determined values for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) activity in African American neonates...
- Diurnal fluctuation of leukocyte G6PD activity. A possible explanation for the normal neutrophil bactericidal activity and the low incidence of pyogenic infections in patients with severe G6PD deficiency in Israel
Deparment of Pediatrics, Central Laboratories and the Laboratory for Leukocyte Function, Meir General Hospital, Sapir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, The Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Pediatr Res 55:807-13. 2004
- Testis-specific expression of a functional retroposon encoding glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in the mouse
P J Hendriksen
Department of Endocrinology and Reproduction, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Genomics 41:350-9. 1997
..G6pd-2 is one of the very few known expressed retroposons encoding a functional protein, and the presence of this gene is probably related to X chromosome inactivation during spermatogenesis...
- Overexpression of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase extends the life span of Drosophila melanogaster
Susan K Legan
Department of Biological Sciences, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas 75275 0376, USA
J Biol Chem 283:32492-9. 2008
..Collectively, the results demonstrate that enhancement of the NADPH biosynthetic capability can extend the life span of a relatively long-lived strain of flies, which supports the oxidative stress hypothesis of aging...
- Cytosolic NADPH may regulate differences in basal Nox oxidase-derived superoxide generation in bovine coronary and pulmonary arteries
Sachin A Gupte
Department of Physiology, Basic Sciences Bldg, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288:H13-21. 2005
..Because both arteries have similar levels of Nox expression and activity, elevated levels of cytosolic NADPH may contribute to increased superoxide in BPA...
- Reversible pulmonary trunk banding. VI: Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in rapid ventricular hypertrophy in young goats
Renato S Assad
Heart Institute, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 142:1108-13, 1113.e1. 2011
..Increased myocardial glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) activity occurs in heart failure. This study compared G6PD activity in 2 protocols of right ventricle (RV) systolic overload in young goats...
- Selection of developmentally competent buffalo oocytes by brilliant cresyl blue staining before IVM
B M Manjunatha
Department of Animal Reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Veterinary College, KVAFSU, Hebbal, Bangalore 560024, India
Theriogenology 68:1299-304. 2007
..0%, P<0.05); blastocyst development was lowest in BCB- oocytes (5.2%). In conclusion, staining of buffalo oocytes with BCB before IVM may be used to select developmentally competent oocytes for increased in vitro embryo production...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase is a regulator of vascular smooth muscle contraction
Rakhee S Gupte
Department of Biochemistry, University of South Alabama, College of Medicine, Mobile, Alabama 36688, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 14:543-58. 2011
..Our findings demonstrate that G6PD activity and NADPH is increased in activated CA in a PKCδ-dependent manner and that G6PD modulates Ca(2+) entry and CA contractions evoked by membrane depolarization...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) screening in Pakistani neonates: to be or not to be
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, The Aga Khan University, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 57:618-20. 2007
- Upregulation of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and NAD(P)H oxidase activity increases oxidative stress in failing human heart
Rakhee S Gupte
Department of Physiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
J Card Fail 13:497-506. 2007
..Therefore, we tested whether G6PD activity is elevated and enhances NADPH level and increases NAD(P)H oxidase-derived superoxide production in the myocardium from patients with heart failure from ischemic cardiomyopathy...
- Mononuclear leukocytes from obese patients with type II diabetes have reduced activity of hexokinase, 6-phosphofructokinase and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase
Department of Metabolic Diseases, University of Verona, Italy
Horm Metab Res 25:160-4. 1993
..This multiple enzymatic defect is correlated with the impairment of in vivo insulin action...
- Complete molecular characterisation of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency in a group of Malaysian Chinese neonates
Haematology Unit, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Malays J Pathol 26:89-98. 2004
..In conclusion we have completely characterized the molecular defects of a group of Chinese G6PD deficiency in Malaysia. The mutation distribution reflects the original genetic pool and limited ethnic admixture with indigenous Malays...
- DNA sequence abnormalities of human glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase variants
Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California 92037
J Biol Chem 266:4145-50. 1991
..The results confirm our earlier results suggesting that the NADP-binding site is in a small region of exon 10 and suggest the possibility that this area is also concerned with the binding of glucose-6-P...
- G6PD is indispensable for erythropoiesis after the embryonic-adult hemoglobin switch
Istituto di Genetica e Biofisica Adriano Buzzati Traverso CNR, Via G Marconi 12, 80125 Napoli, Italy
Blood 104:3148-52. 2004
..This apoptotic death is delayed by reducing agents and by a caspase inhibitor, but it is prevented only by the restoration of G6PD activity. Thus, G6PD proves indispensable for definitive erythropoiesis...
- Regulation of the oxidative NADP-enzyme tissue levels in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Modulation by dietary carbohydrate and lipid
B W Geer
J Exp Zool 195:15-32. 1976
..Thus, larvae effectively utilized dietary lipid for lipid synthesis and as a supplementary energy source to carbohydrate...
- Chronic nonspherocytic hemolytic anemia due to glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency: report of two families with novel mutations causing G6PD Bangkok and G6PD Bangkok Noi
Voravarn S Tanphaichitr
Hematology Oncology Division, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, 2 Pran Nok Road, Bangkok Noi, Bangkok, 10700, Thailand
Ann Hematol 90:769-75. 2011
..The first mutation was 1376 G→T predicting 459 Arg→Leu (known as G6PD Canton) and the second one was 1502 T→G predicting 501 Phe→Cys. We designated the resulting novel G6PD variant, G6PD Bangkok Noi...
- A new lease of life for an old enzyme
Istituto Internazionale di Genetica e Biofisica di Napoli, Italy
Bioessays 18:631-7. 1996
..Because of the high prevalence of G6PD deficiency in many populations, it is expected that these findings will prompt further studies to ascertain the putative role of G6PD deficiency in conditions such as carcinogenesis and ageing...
- Role of pentose phosphate pathway-derived NADPH in hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction
Sachin A Gupte
Departments of Physiology and Respiratory Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Tokyo 113, Japan
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 19:303-9. 2006
..ODQ, a sGC inhibitor, potentiated HPV. These results suggest that while PPP-derived NADPH may play a significant role in HPV, it may also moderate the magnitude of HPV through activation of the NO-sGC-cGMP vasodilation pathway...
- Changes in incidence and sex ratio of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency by population drift in Taiwan
Yin Hsiu Chien
Department of Medical Genetics, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 39:154-61. 2008
..G6PD deficiency screening has confirmed a subtle genetic flow in Taiwan. Besides the psychosocial effects, medical issues caused by population movements should be carefully watched in the future in Taiwan...
- Isolation and characterisation of a full-length genomic clone encoding a plastidic glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase from Nicotiana tabacum
J S Knight
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
Planta 212:499-507. 2001
..Plastidic G6PDH mRNA levels did not appear to respond to light...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in barley roots: kinetic properties and localisation of the isoforms
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale, Universita di Napoli, Federico II, Naples, Italy
Planta 212:627-34. 2001
- An autosomal glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (hexose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) polymorphism in human saliva
S G Tan
Hum Hered 26:113-23. 1976
..Three phenotypes were found. Family and population studies suggested that these phenotypes are the products of an autosomal locus with two alleles Sgd-1 and Sgd-2...
- Glutamate synthesis in barley roots: the role of the plastidic glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via Foria 223, 80139 Naples, Italy
Planta 216:639-47. 2003
- [In silico cloning of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase cDNA from rice (Oryza sativa L.)]
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetics and Germplasm Enhancement, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, China
Yi Chuan Xue Bao 29:1012-6. 2002
..It was also discussed in this paper that the application of in silico cloning in the isolation of functional genes from rice...
- Hexose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in the endoplasmic reticulum
Department of Pathophysiology, Experimental Medicine and Public Health, University of Siena, I 53100 Siena, Italy
Biol Chem 391:1-8. 2010
..This review summarizes recent advances related to the functions of H6PD...
- Is G6PD A- deficiency associated with recurrent stillbirths in The Gambia?
Am J Med Genet A 128:104-5. 2004
- Glutamate synthase activities and protein changes in relation to nitrogen nutrition in barley: the dependence on different plastidic glucose-6P dehydrogenase isoforms
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via Foria, 223, I 80139 Naples, Italy
J Exp Bot 56:55-64. 2005
..The effects of light on Fd-GOGAT is discussed, together with the possibility for P2-G6PDH to sustain nitrogen assimilation upon illumination...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase plays a central role in modulating reduced glutathione levels in reed callus under salt stress
Key Laboratory of Arid and Grassland Agroecology Ministry of Education, School of Life Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou Gansu 730000, People s Republic of China
Planta 227:611-23. 2008
..Taken together, G6PDH activity involved in GSH maintenance and H2O2 accumulation under salt stress. And H2O2 regulated G6PDH, GR, and GPX activities to maintain GSH levels. In the process, G6PDH plays a central role...