Genomes and Genes
Summary: A group of carbon-oxygen lyases. These enzymes catalyze the breakage of a carbon-oxygen bond in polysaccharides leading to an unsaturated product and the elimination of an alcohol. EC 4.2.2.
Publications208 found, 100 shown here
- Expression and characterization of minican, a recombinant syndecan-1 with extensively truncated core proteinLeif Viklund
Turku Centre for Biotechnology, University of Turku and Abo Akademi University, Tykistokatu 6, BioCity, FIN 20520, Turku, Finland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 290:146-52. 2002..Our data suggest that recombinant syndecan-1 with a minimal protein component is biologically active. This information may provide useful in further design of proteoglycan-like antitumor molecules...
- Understanding the biological rationale for the diversity of cellulose-directed carbohydrate-binding modules in prokaryotic enzymesAnthony W Blake
Centre for Plant Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 281:29321-9. 2006....
- Cloning and characterization of pectate lyases expressed in the esophageal gland of the pine wood nematode Bursaphelenchus xylophilusTaisei Kikuchi
Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8687, Japan
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 19:280-7. 2006..This study suggests that pectate lyases are widely distributed in plant-parasitic nematodes and play an important role in plant-nematode interactions...
- Convergent evolution sheds light on the anti-beta -elimination mechanism common to family 1 and 10 polysaccharide lyasesSimon J Charnock
York Structural Biology Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5YW, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12067-72. 2002....
- Heparan sulfate proteoglycan is a mechanosensor on endothelial cellsJeffry A Florian
Biomolecular Transport Dynamics Laboratory, Department of Chemical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Circ Res 93:e136-42. 2003..The full text of this article is available online at http://www.circresaha.org...
- Pectate lyase 10A from Pseudomonas cellulosa is a modular enzyme containing a family 2a carbohydrate-binding moduleI E Brown
School of Sciences, University of Sunderland, Sunderland SR1 3SD
Biochem J 355:155-65. 2001..cellulosa rhamnogalacturonan lyase 11A, in the accompanying article [McKie, Vincken, Voragen, van den Broek, Stimson and Gilbert (2001) Biochem. J. 355, 167-177], are the first CBM-containing pectinases described to date...
- Arabidopsis thaliana expresses multiple lines of defense to counterattack Erwinia chrysanthemiMathilde Fagard
Laboratoire Interactions Plantes Pathogènes, UMR 217 INRA INA P G Universitè Paris 6 and CNRS, 16 rue Claude Bernard, Paris 75005, France
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 20:794-805. 2007..Our study shows the differential role played by pectate lyases isoenzymes in this process and highlights the complexity of the host immune network, which is finely controlled by the bacterium...
- Unsaturated glucuronyl hydrolase of Bacillus sp. GL1: novel enzyme prerequisite for metabolism of unsaturated oligosaccharides produced by polysaccharide lyasesW Hashimoto
Research Institute for Food Science, Kyoto University, Uji, 611 0011, Japan
Arch Biochem Biophys 368:367-74. 1999..it is considered that the unsaturated glucuronyl hydrolase plays specific and ubiquitous roles in the degradation of oligosaccharides with unsaturated uronic acid at the nonreducing terminal produced by polysaccharide lyases.
- Polysaccharide lyases from gellan-producing Sphingomonas sppI W Sutherland
Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, Edinburgh University, UK
Microbiology 142:867-72. 1996..The enzymes had negligible activity against the natural, acylated gellan and rhamsan polysaccharides from bacteria now designated as strains of Sphingomonas...
- Initial interaction of herpes simplex virus with cells is binding to heparan sulfateD WuDunn
Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637
J Virol 63:52-8. 1989..Consistent with their broad host ranges, the two HSV serotypes use as primary receptors ubiquitous cell surface components known to participate in interactions with the extracellular matrix and with other cell surfaces...
- Pectate lyase gene expression and enzyme activity in ripening banana fruitM C Marín-Rodríguez
Horticulture Research International, Plant Genetics and Biotechnology Department, Wellesbourne, Warwickshire, CV35 9EF, UK
Plant Mol Biol 51:851-7. 2003..The enhanced levels of enzyme activity corresponded with an increase in soluble polyuronides from banana pulp...
- Breakdown of oligosaccharides by the process of eliminationVivian L Y Yip
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Curr Opin Chem Biol 10:147-55. 2006..A common feature emerging from studies on disparate syn-eliminating enzymes is the use of a single catalytic residue, often tyrosine, as both general acid and base...
- Cloning and characterization of an esophageal-gland-specific pectate lyase from the root-knot nematode Meloidogyne javanicaElizabeth A Doyle
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 15:549-56. 2002..The root-knot nematode migrates through the middle lamella of the plant root; therefore, MJ-PEL-1 may be an important enzyme early in the infection process...
- A novel structural fold in polysaccharide lyases: Bacillus subtilis family 11 rhamnogalacturonan lyase YesW with an eight-bladed beta-propellerAkihito Ochiai
Laboratory of Basic and Applied Molecular Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan
J Biol Chem 282:37134-45. 2007..with a deep cleft in the center as a basic scaffold, and its structural fold has not been seen in polysaccharide lyases analyzed thus far...
- Manipulation of strawberry fruit softening by antisense expression of a pectate lyase geneSilvia Jiménez-Bermúdez
Departamento de Biologia Vegetal, Universidad de Malaga, 29071 Malaga, Spain
Plant Physiol 128:751-9. 2002..The postharvest softening of Apel fruit was also diminished. Our results indicate that pectate lyase gene is an excellent candidate for biotechnological improvement of fruit softening in strawberry...
- Expression profiling of auxin-treated Arabidopsis roots: toward a molecular analysis of lateral root emergenceMarta Laskowski
Biology Department, Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH 44074, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 47:788-92. 2006..Differences in the degree of pectin methylation in lateral and parent roots may explain why lateral roots are not degraded themselves...
- Organ-specific, developmental, hormonal and stress regulation of expression of putative pectate lyase genes in ArabidopsisSaiprasad Goud Palusa
Department of Biology and Program in Molecular Plant Biology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1878, USA
New Phytol 174:537-50. 2007..The stability of transcripts of PLLs varied considerably among different genes. Our results indicate a complex regulation of expression of PLLs and involvement of PLLs in some of the hormonal and stress responses...
- Modulation of the degree and pattern of methyl-esterification of pectic homogalacturonan in plant cell walls. Implications for pectin methyl esterase action, matrix properties, and cell adhesionW G Willats
Centre for Plant Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:19404-13. 2001..These findings have important implications for our understanding of both the action of pectin methyl esterases on matrix properties and mechanisms of intercellular adhesion and its loss in plants...
- Viral and cellular requirements for entry of herpes simplex virus type 1 into primary neuronal cellsL C Immergluck
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Gen Virol 79:549-59. 1998..Taken together, these findings suggest cell-type differences in virus binding and entry and a different role for gC in neuronal cell infection...
- PMR6, a pectate lyase-like gene required for powdery mildew susceptibility in ArabidopsisJohn P Vogel
Department of Plant Biology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Plant Cell 14:2095-106. 2002..Thus, pmr6 resistance represents a novel form of disease resistance based on the loss of a gene required during a compatible interaction rather than the activation of known host defense pathways...
- Developmental expression and molecular analysis of two Meloidogyne incognita pectate lyase genesGuozhong Huang
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Georgia, Athens, 30602 7274, USA
Int J Parasitol 35:685-92. 2005..These results indicated that these pectate lyases, like cellulases, could be secreted into plant tissues to facilitate the penetration and intercellular migration of M. incognita during the early stages of plant parasitism...
- Cloning and characterization of two ripening-related strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa cv. Chandler) pectate lyase genesAntonio Benítez-Burraco
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Edificio Severo Ochoa Edificio C 6, Campus Universitario de Rabanales, Universidad de Cordoba, 14071 Cordoba, Spain
J Exp Bot 54:633-45. 2003..The role of pl genes in cell-wall disassembly and fruit ripening softening is discussed...
- Pectate lyases, cell wall degradation and fruit softeningM Celia Marín-Rodríguez
Horticulture Research International, Plant Genetics and Biotechnology Department, Wellesbourne, Warwickshire CV35 9EF, UK
J Exp Bot 53:2115-9. 2002..The abundance of ESTs for these genes in tomato and the presence of pectate lyase-like transcripts in many other fruits may indicate that these enzymes have a more important role in ripening than previously suspected...
- Determination of pathogen-related enzyme action by mass spectrometry analysis of pectin breakdown products of plant cell wallsHyun Joo An
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Anal Biochem 338:71-82. 2005..This analytical technique provides a simple and rapid method to characterize the pectin-derived oligosaccharides produced by in vivo digestion during pathogen infection...
- A new model for the domain structure of heparan sulfate based on the novel specificity of K5 lyaseKevin J Murphy
Cancer Research UK and University of Manchester, Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:27239-45. 2004..K5 lyase provides a means of excision of these composite sulfated regions for structural and functional analyses...
- Cloning and expression of a pectate lyase from the oral spirochete Treponema pectinovorum ATCC 33768Stephen G Walker
Department of Oral Biology and Pathology, School of Dental Medicine, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8702, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 226:385-90. 2003..coli. The recombinant enzyme has characteristics common to other bacterial pectate lyases such as an alkaline pH optimum, dependence on calcium ions for activity, and inhibition by zinc ions...
- The oligogalacturonate-specific porin KdgM of Erwinia chrysanthemi belongs to a new porin familyNicolas Blot
Unité de Microbiologie et Génétique, Composante INSA, UMR CNRS 5122, INSA, Batiment Louis Pasteur, 11 Avenue Jean Capelle, 69621 Villeurbanne Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 277:7936-44. 2002..KdgM has no homology with currently known porins, but proteins similar to KdgM are present in several bacteria. Therefore, these proteins might constitute a new family of porin channels...
- cDNA cloning of an alginate lyase from abalone, Haliotis discus hannaiEri Shimizu
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Fisheries Sciences, Hokkaido University, Hakodate, Hokkaido 041 8611, Japan
Carbohydr Res 338:2841-52. 2003....
- A novel oligoalginate lyase from abalone, Haliotis discus hannai, that releases disaccharide from alginate polymer in an exolytic mannerHarumasa Suzuki
Laboratory of Marine Biotechnology and Microbiology, Graduate School of Fisheries Sciences, Hokkaido University, Hakodate, Japan
Carbohydr Res 341:1809-19. 2006..To our knowledge, HdAlex is the first exolytic oligoalginate lyase belonging to PL14...
- Pectin degrading enzymes in yeasts involved in fermentation of Coffea arabica in East AfricaWafa Masoud
Department of Food Science, Food Microbiology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Int J Food Microbiol 110:291-6. 2006..High amounts of PG were produced by two strains of P. anomala and P. kluyveri. It is therefore likely that strains of those two species may be involved in the degradation of pectin during coffee fermentation...
- Biochemical analysis of the processive mechanism for epimerization of alginate by mannuronan C-5 epimerase AlgE4Cristiana Campa
Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Macromolecular Chemistry, University of Trieste, Italy
Biochem J 381:155-64. 2004..A hexameric oligomer is the minimum size to accommodate activity. For hexa-, hepta- and octameric substrates the third M residue from the non-reducing end is epimerised first...
- Analysis of Erwinia chrysanthemi EC16 pelE::uidA, pelL::uidA, and hrpN::uidA mutants reveals strain-specific atypical regulation of the Hrp type III secretion systemJong Hyun Ham
Department of Plant Pathology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853 4203, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 17:184-94. 2004..chrysanthemi in witloof chicory leaves. Overexpression of hrpN in E. chrysanthemi resulted in approximately 50% reduction of lesion size on chicory leaves without an effect on infection initiation...
- Pectate lyase C from Bacillus subtilis: a novel endo-cleaving enzyme with activity on highly methylated pectinMargarita Soriano
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Barcelona, Av Diagonal 645, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Microbiology 152:617-25. 2006..PelC and PelA showed high homology to a few recently identified pectate lyases of family 3 and form with them a cluster of small-sized pectate lyases from non-pathogenic micro-organisms...
- Molecular characterization and expression profile of pectin-lyase-encoding genes from Penicillium griseoroseumDenise S Bazzolli
Departamento de Microbiologia BIOAGRO, Universidade Federal de Vicosa, Vicosa, Brazil
Can J Microbiol 52:1070-7. 2006..The differential expression of these genes may provide means for the fungus to adapt to various growth conditions...
- Cloning of the pelA gene from Bacillus licheniformis 14A and biochemical characterization of recombinant, thermostable, high-alkaline pectate lyaseS Berensmeier
Department for Carbohydrates, Technical University Braunschweig, Langer Kamp 5, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 64:560-7. 2004..The yields of unsaturated trigalacturonic acids were further examined for the substrates polygalacturonic acid, citrus pectin and sugar-beet pectin...
- Enzymatic properties of the highly thermophilic and alkaline pectate lyase Pel-4B from alkaliphilic Bacillus sp. strain P-4-N and the entire nucleotide and amino acid sequencesY Hatada
Tochigi Research Laboratories of Kao Corporation, Haga, Japan
Extremophiles 5:127-33. 2001..strains KSM-P7 and KSM-P103 and the fungi Aspergillus nidulans and Colletotrichum gloeosporioides f. sp. malvae...
- Isolation and characterization of psychrophilic yeasts producing cold-adapted pectinolytic enzymesT Nakagawa
Department of Food Science and Technology, Faculty of Bioindustry, Tokyo University of Agriculture, Yasaka, Abashiri, Hokkaido, Japan
Lett Appl Microbiol 38:383-7. 2004..The present study was conducted to screen for psychrophilic yeasts that are able to degrade pectin compounds at low temperature, and to examine the cold-active pectinolytic enzymes produced by the isolated psychrophilic yeasts...
- Rhamnogalacturonan lyase reveals a unique three-domain modular structure for polysaccharide lyase family 4Michael A McDonough
Centre for Crystallographic Studies, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 5, 2100 Copenhagen Ø, DK, Denmark
FEBS Lett 565:188-94. 2004..The 508-amino acid polypeptide displays a unique arrangement of three distinct modular domains. Each domain shows structural homology to non-catalytic domains from other carbohydrate active enzymes...
- Coupling of iron assimilation and pectinolysis in Erwinia chrysanthemi 3937Thierry Franza
Laboratoire de Pathologie Végétale UMR 217 INRA INA PG Université Paris 6, France
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 15:1181-91. 2002..These important pathogenicity functions are coregulated by responding to common signals encountered in planta...
- Rhamnogalacturonate lyase RhiE is secreted by the out system in Erwinia chrysanthemiMinna Laatu
Unité Microbiologie et Génétique, UMR CNRS INSA UCB 5122, Domaine Universitaire de la DOUA, 69622 Villeurbanne, France
J Bacteriol 185:1642-9. 2003..However, the reduced virulence of the rhiE mutant indicates that degradation of the RG-I region of pectin is important for full virulence of E. chrysanthemi...
- Comparative study of regulatory mechanisms for pectinase production by Erwinia carotovora subsp. carotovora and Erwinia chrysanthemiHiroyuki Matsumoto
United Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Gifu University Shizuoka University, 836 Ohya, Shizuoka 422 8529, Japan
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 16:226-37. 2003..carotovora subsp. carotovora was not identified in this study, though these proteins of E. chrysanthemi were functional on the promoter regions of the pectinase genes of E. carotovora subsp. carotovora...
- [Genetic regulation of pathogenicity and virulence factors in bacteria Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica: phenotypic characteristic of bacteria with the mutant kduD gene]V E Miamin
Genetika 40:1194-9. 2004..Genes involved in the intracellular catabolism of pectin substances and induced by both low and high DK2 concentrations in the cultivation medium are not repressed by this metabolite...
- Exopolygalacturonate lyase from Thermotoga maritima: cloning, characterization and organic synthesis applicationJudicaël Parisot
Unité de Recherches en Biocatalyse FRE CNRS 2230, Faculte des Sciences et des Techniques, 2, Rue de la Houssiniere, BP 92208, F 44322, Nantes, France
Carbohydr Res 337:1427-33. 2002..5 and T> or=95 degrees C. The highly thermostable enzyme constitutes a useful catalyst for a simplified synthesis of 4,5-unsaturated trigalacturonic acid 3, a trisaccharide which is extremely difficult to obtain via chemical synthesis...
- A novel thermophilic pectate lyase containing two catalytic modules of Clostridium stercorarium- Si Si Hla
Faculty of Bioresources, Mie University, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:2138-45. 2005..The mature form of Pel9A is a modular enzyme composed of two family-9 catalytic modules of polysaccharide lyases, CM9-1 and CM9-2, in order from the N terminus...
- Application of mass spectrometry to determine the activity and specificity of pectin lyase AKudzai E Mutenda
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK 5230, M, Odense, Denmark
Carbohydr Res 337:1217-27. 2002..It also demonstrates the suitability of ESI ion-trap mass spectrometry in determining enzyme specificities...
- Unusual structural features of the bacteriophage-associated hyaluronate lyase (hylp2)Parul Mishra
Division of Molecular and Structural Biology, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow 226 001, India
J Biol Chem 281:7143-50. 2006....
- Molecular and biochemical characterization of the thermoactive family 1 pectate lyase from the hyperthermophilic bacterium Thermotoga maritimaLeon D Kluskens
Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen University, Hesselink van Suchtelenweg 4, NL 6703, CT, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Biochem J 370:651-9. 2003..The unique exo-acting mode of action was supported by progression profiles of PelA on oligogalacturonides (degree of polymerization, 3-8) and the examination of the bond cleavage frequencies...
- An exotype alginate lyase in Sphingomonas sp. A1: overexpression in Escherichia coli, purification, and characterization of alginate lyase IV (A1-IV)Osamu Miyake
Division of Food and Biological Science, Department of Basic and Applied Molecular Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Protein Expr Purif 29:33-41. 2003....
- Structure and function of a hypothetical Pseudomonas aeruginosa protein PA1167 classified into family PL-7: a novel alginate lyase with a beta-sandwich foldMasayuki Yamasaki
Division of Agronomy and Horticultural Science, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:31863-72. 2004..Crystal structures of polysaccharide lyases determined so far indicate that they can be assigned to three folding groups having parallel beta-helix, ..
- Effect of mutations in the T1.5 loop of pectate lyase A from Erwinia chrysanthemi EC16Seameen J Dehdashti
University of Missouri Kansas City, School of Biological Sciences, 5100 Rockhill Road, Kansas City, Missouri 64111 2499, USA
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 59:1339-42. 2003..5 loop in PelA was mutated to the homologous sequence in PelE. The crystal structure of the PelA T1.5 mutant has been solved to 1.6 and 2.9 A resolution. The enzymatic and structural properties of the T1.5 mutant are discussed...
- Cloning of two pectate lyase genes from the marine Antarctic bacterium Pseudoalteromonas haloplanktis strain ANT/505 and characterization of the enzymesL V Truong
Institute of Biotechnology, National Center of Natural Science and Technology, Tu Liem, Hanoi, Vietnam
Extremophiles 5:35-44. 2001..These two enzymes represent the first pectate lyases isolated and characterized from a cold-adapted marine bacterium...
- Nucleotide sequence and expression of a novel pectate lyase gene (pel-3) and a closely linked endopolygalacturonase gene (peh-1) of Erwinia carotovora subsp. carotovora 71Y Liu
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Missouri, Columbia 65211
Appl Environ Microbiol 60:2545-52. 1994..Pel-3 also is unusual in that it is predicted to contain an ATP- and GTP-binding site motif A (P-loop) not found in the other Pels...
- The Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato HrpW protein has domains similar to harpins and pectate lyases and can elicit the plant hypersensitive response and bind to pectateA O Charkowski
Department of Plant Pathology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853 4203, USA
J Bacteriol 180:5211-7. 1998..These features of hrpW and its product suggest that P. syringae produces multiple harpins and that the target of these proteins is in the plant cell wall...
- Alginate synthesis in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: the role of AlgL (alginate lyase) and AlgXS R Monday
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside 92521 0121, USA
J Bacteriol 178:625-32. 1996..These studies demonstrate that AlgX, whose biochemical function remains to be defined, and AlgL, which has alginate lyase activity, are both involved in alginate production by P. aeruginosa...
- Crystal structure of polygalacturonase from Erwinia carotovora ssp. carotovoraR Pickersgill
Institute of Food Research, Reading Laboratory, Earley Gate, Whiteknights Road, Reading RG6 6BZ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 273:24660-4. 1998..A similarity in overall electrostatic properties of the substrate-binding clefts of polygalacturonase and pectate lyase, which bind and cleave the same substrate, polygalacturonic acid, is also revealed...
- Thermodynamic characterization of a highly thermoactive extracellular pectate lyase from a new isolate Bacillus pumilus DKS1Snehasish Basu
Department of Biochemistry, University College of Science, Calcutta University, 35 Ballygunge Circular Road, West Bengal, Kolkata 700 019, India
Bioresour Technol 99:8088-94. 2008..The thermal inactivation studies revealed an entropy-enthalpy compensation pattern below a critical temperature. The alkaliphilicity and high thermostability of this pectate lyase may have potential implications in fibre degumming...
- Substrate recognition by family 7 alginate lyase from Sphingomonas sp. A1Kohei Ogura
Division of Food Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
J Mol Biol 380:373-85. 2008..This is, to our knowledge, the first report on the structure and function relationship in family 7...
- Rhamnogalacturonase B from Aspergillus aculeatus is a rhamnogalacturonan alpha-L-rhamnopyranosyl-(1-->4)-alpha-D-galactopyranosyluronide lyaseM Mutter
Wageningen Agricultural University, Department of Food Chemistry, The Netherlands
Plant Physiol 110:73-7. 1996..The cleavage site and mechanism differ from that of the previously described rhamnogalacturonase A, which is a hydrolase and can now be termed rhamnogalacturonan alpha-D-galactopyranosyluronide-(1-->2)-alpha-L-rhamnopyranosyl hydrolase...
- Restoration of mature etiolated cucumber hypocotyl cell wall susceptibility to expansin by pretreatment with fungal pectinases and EGTA in vitroQingxin Zhao
Jiangsu Key Laboratory for Biodiversity and Biotechnology, College of Life Science, Nanjing Normal University, Nanjing 210046, People s Republic of China
Plant Physiol 147:1874-85. 2008....
- Two crystal structures of pectin lyase A from Aspergillus reveal a pH driven conformational change and striking divergence in the substrate-binding clefts of pectin and pectate lyasesO Mayans
Department of Food Macromolecular Science, Institute of Food Research, Earley Gate, Whiteknights Road, Reading, RG6 6BZ, UK
Structure 5:677-89. 1997..Protein engineering of lyases specific for particular patterns of methylation, will yield modified pectins of high value to the food and pharmaceutical industries...
- The repB gene required for production of extracellular enzymes and fluorescent siderophores in Pseudomonas viridiflava is an analog of the gacA gene of Pseudomonas syringaeC H Liao
Eastern Regional Research Center, U S Department of Agriculture, Philadelphia, PA 19118, USA
Can J Microbiol 42:177-82. 1996..fluorescens, and P. syringae included in the study. The data presented here and earlier indicate that the repA/repB gene regulatory system of P. viridiflava is analogous to the lemA/gacA system of P. syringae and P. fluorescens...
- Molecular polymorphism of the syndecans. Identification of a hypo-glycanated murine syndecan-1 splice variantM Romaris
Laboratory for Glycobiology and Developmental Genetics, Center for Human Genetics, University of Leuven and Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Biol Chem 274:18667-74. 1999..Biol. Chem. 270, 27127-27135) and imply that alternative splicing mechanisms may in part control the molecular polymorphism of syndecan-1 and, therefore, the efficiency and versatility of this protein in its co-receptor functions...
- Molecular characterization of two gene loci required for production of the key pathogenicity factor pectate lyase in Pseudomonas viridiflavaC H Liao
Plant Science and Technology Research Unit, U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Philadelphia, PA 19118
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 7:391-400. 1994..Mutants of P. viridiflava strain SF312A deficient in production of Pel, Prt, and the exopolysaccharide alginate also were identified.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Molecular cloning and nucleotide sequence of the gene encoding phosphate-inducible pectin lyase of Bacillus subtilisT Sakamoto
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, College of Agriculture, Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai, Japan
FEBS Lett 398:269-73. 1996..Regulation of the gene expression seemed to be quite different from that of other bacterial PNL genes previously reported...
- 10E4 antigen of Scrapie lesions contains an unusual nonsulfated heparan motifC Leteux
Glycosciences Laboratory, Imperial College School of Medicine, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:12539-45. 2001....
- A new family of rhamnogalacturonan lyases contains an enzyme that binds to celluloseV A McKie
Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Biochem J 355:167-77. 2001..lyase and, together with the homologous Bacillus and Streptomyces proteins, comprise a new family of polysaccharide lyases. The presence of a family 2a CBM in Rgl11A, and in a P...
- Cloning, sequencing, and expression of the gene from bacillus circulans that codes for a heparinase that degrades both heparin and heparan sulfateEiichi Yoshida
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Shizuoka University, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:1873-9. 2002..that the deduced amino acid sequence has partial similarity with enzymes belonging to the family of acidic polysaccharide lyases that degrade chondroitin sulfate and hyaluronic acid. Recombinant mature heparinase (111...
- Synergism between Erwinia pectate lyase isoenzymes that depolymerize both pectate and pectinS Bartling
Carlsberg Laboratory, Department of Physiology, Copenhagen, Denmark
Microbiology 141:873-81. 1995..These data suggest that the combination of PL isoenzymes extends the range of pectic substrates which the bacterium can degrade...
- rsmC of the soft-rotting bacterium Erwinia carotovora subsp. carotovora negatively controls extracellular enzyme and harpin(Ecc) production and virulence by modulating levels of regulatory RNA (rsmB) and RNA-binding protein (RsmA)Y Cui
Plant Sciences Unit, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
J Bacteriol 181:6042-52. 1999..betavasculorum, and E. carotovora subsp. carotovora. These findings collectively support the idea that rsmA and rsmB expression in these plant pathogenic Erwinia species is controlled by RsmC or a functional homolog of RsmC...
- Isolation and characterization of extracellular pectin lyase from Penicillium canescensO A Sinitsyna
Chemical Faculty, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow 119992, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 72:565-71. 2007..In the course of the laboratory trials, it was demonstrated that pectin lyase A from P. canescens could be successfully applied to production and clarification of juice...
- Characterization of alginate lyase from Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringaeL A Preston
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, California 92521, USA
J Bacteriol 182:6268-71. 2000..Site-directed mutagenesis of histidine and tryptophan residues at positions 204 and 207, respectively, indicated that these amino acids are critical for lyase activity...
- Enzymes with new biochemical properties in the pectinolytic complex produced by Aspergillus niger MIUG 16Diana Dinu
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biology, University of Bucharest, 91 95 Splaiul Independentei, Bucharest 050095, Romania
J Biotechnol 131:128-37. 2007..The capacity of the fungus A. niger to produce pectate lyases with optimum pH in acidic domain was reported for the first time...
- Regulation of the production of extracellular pectinase, cellulase, and protease in the soft rot bacterium Erwinia carotovora subsp. carotovora: evidence that aepH of E. carotovora subsp. carotovora 71 activates gene expression in E. carotovora subsp. carH Murata
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Missouri Columbia 65211
Appl Environ Microbiol 60:3150-9. 1994..We conclude that aepH-mediated activation of exoprotein gene expression is a feature common to most strains of E. carotovora...
- Cloning, sequence analysis and expression of gene alyVI encoding alginate lyase from marine bacterium Vibrio sp. QY101Feng Han
Key Laboratory of Marine Drugs, Ocean University of China, Ministry of Education, P R China
DNA Seq 15:344-50. 2004..However, AlyVI could degrade both M block and G block. These results indicate that a novel alginate lyase-encoding gene has been cloned...
- Sequence of the algL gene of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and purification of its alginate lyase productA Boyd
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago 60612
Gene 131:1-8. 1993..Thus, the algL gene is located within a region of the alginate biosynthetic gene cluster that appears to be non-essential for alginate production...
- Action pattern of polysaccharide lyases on glycosaminoglycansK A Jandik
Division of Medicinal and Natural Products Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242
Glycobiology 4:289-96. 1994The action pattern of polysaccharide lyases on glycosaminoglycan substrates was examined using viscosimetric measurements and gradient polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (PAGE). Heparin lyase I (heparinase, EC 4.2.2...
- Transfer of carbohydrate-active enzymes from marine bacteria to Japanese gut microbiotaJan Hendrik Hehemann
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Nature 464:908-12. 2010..by the human gut symbiont Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron, which contains 261 glycoside hydrolases and polysaccharide lyases, as well as 208 homologues of susC and susD-genes coding for two outer membrane proteins involved in ..
- Substrate specificity of streptococcal unsaturated glucuronyl hydrolases for sulfated glycosaminoglycanYukie Maruyama
Laboratory of Basic and Applied Molecular Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:18059-69. 2009..which are produced from mammalian extracellular matrices through the beta-elimination reaction of polysaccharide lyases. Here, we show enzyme characteristics of pathogenic streptococcal UGLs and structural determinants for the ..
- Diversity and strain specificity of plant cell wall degrading enzymes revealed by the draft genome of Ruminococcus flavefaciens FD-1Margret E Berg Miller
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6650. 2009....
- The CAZyome of Phytophthora spp.: a comprehensive analysis of the gene complement coding for carbohydrate-active enzymes in species of the genus PhytophthoraManuel D Ospina-Giraldo
Biology Department, Lafayette College, Easton, PA 18042, USA
BMC Genomics 11:525. 2010..metabolism include Carbohydrate esterases (CE), Glycoside hydrolases (GH), Glycosyl transferases (GT), and Polysaccharide lyases (PL), commonly referred to as carbohydrate-active enzymes (CAZymes)...
- Structural and functional profile of the carbohydrate esterase gene complement in Phytophthora infestansManuel D Ospina-Giraldo
Biology Department, Lafayette College, 29 Kunkel, Easton, PA 18042, USA
Curr Genet 56:495-506. 2010..assortment of cell wall-degrading enzymes including carbohydrate esterases, glycoside hydrolases, and polysaccharide lyases. We characterized the full complement of carbohydrate esterase-coding genes in three Phytophthora species ..
- Transcriptome and secretome analyses of Phanerochaete chrysosporium reveal complex patterns of gene expressionAmber Vanden Wymelenberg
Department of Bacteriology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 53706, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:4058-68. 2009..Among these were six members of the glycoside hydrolase family 61, as well as several polysaccharide lyases and carbohydrate esterases...
- A census of carbohydrate-active enzymes in the genome of Arabidopsis thalianaB Henrissat
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques, UMR 6098, CNRS and Universités d Aix Marseille I and II, France
Plant Mol Biol 47:55-72. 2001..glycosyltransferases), modification (carbohydrate esterases) and breakdown (glycoside hydrolases and polysaccharide lyases)...
- Structural and mutational characterization of the catalytic A-module of the mannuronan C-5-epimerase AlgE4 from Azotobacter vinelandiiHenriette J Rozeboom
Laboratory of Biophysical Chemistry, GBB, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 4, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 283:23819-28. 2008..right-handed parallel beta-helix structure originally found in pectate lyase C and subsequently in several polysaccharide lyases and hydrolases...
- Structural and mechanistic classification of uronic acid-containing polysaccharide lyasesMarie Line Garron
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1Y6
Glycobiology 20:1547-73. 2010b>Polysaccharide lyases (PLs) have been assigned to 21 families based on their sequences, with ~ 50 singletons awaiting further classification. For 19 of these families, the structure of at least one protein is known...
- A hierarchical classification of polysaccharide lyases for glycogenomicsVincent Lombard
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques, UMR6098, CNRS, Universite de la Mediterranee, Case 932, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Biochem J 432:437-44. 2010..In the present paper, a classification of polysaccharide lyases (the enzymes that cleave polysaccharides using an elimination instead of a hydrolytic mechanism) is shown ..
- Development of an assay and determination of kinetic parameters for chondroitin AC lyase using defined synthetic substratesCarl S Rye
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, 2036 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z1
Anal Biochem 308:77-82. 2002Many techniques have been developed for the assay of polysaccharide lyases; however, none have allowed the measurement of defined and reproducible k(cat) and K(m) values due to the inhomogeneous nature of the polymeric substrates...
- Potential physiological role of plant glycosidase inhibitorsDaniela Bellincampi
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1696:265-74. 2004Carbohydrate-active enzymes including glycosidases, transglycosidases, glycosyltransferases, polysaccharide lyases and carbohydrate esterases are responsible for the enzymatic processing of carbohydrates in plants...
- Localisation of sulphated glycoconjugates during hyaline layer formation in rat molars by ultrastructural cytochemistrySusana A Tomazela-Herndl
Department of Histology and Embryology, Laboratory of Mineralised Tissue Biology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, 05508 900 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Mol Histol 35:63-8. 2004..We conclude that the hyaline layer only contains sulphated glycoconjugates prior to mineralisation, and that they may play a role in the regulation of the mineralisation...
- Structure and functional properties of ulvan, a polysaccharide from green seaweedsMarc Lahaye
INRA, BIA, BP 71627, 44316 Nantes, France
Biomacromolecules 8:1765-74. 2007..The original physicochemical, rheological, and biological properties recently unraveled for this complex sulfated aldobiouronan open the way for novel potential applications...
- Crystal structures of a family 8 polysaccharide lyase reveal open and highly occluded substrate-binding cleft conformationsZainab H Elmabrouk
Department of Biomedical Sciences, School of Life Sciences, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8ST, United Kingdom
Proteins 79:965-74. 2011Bacterial enzymatic degradation of glycosaminoglycans such as hyaluronan and chondroitin is facilitated by polysaccharide lyases. Family 8 polysaccharide lyase (PL8) enzymes contain at least two domains: one predominantly composed of α-..
- Characterization and mode of action of an exopolygalacturonase from the hyperthermophilic bacterium Thermotoga maritimaLeon D Kluskens
Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
FEBS J 272:5464-73. 2005..The physiological role of PelB and the previously characterized exopectate lyase PelA is discussed...
- On the catalytic mechanism of polysaccharide lyases: evidence of His and Tyr involvement in heparin lysis by heparinase I and the role of Ca2+Carolina R Córdula
Disciplina de Biologia Molecular, Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Rua Tres de Maio, 100, CEP 04044 020, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Mol Biosyst 10:54-64. 2014....
- Effect of ammonia production by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides on pelB activation, pectate lyase secretion, and fruit pathogenicityH Kramer-Haimovich
Department of Postharvest Science of Fresh Produce, Agricultural Research Organization, The Volcani Center, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:1034-9. 2006..gloeosporioides. These data suggest that alkalinization during C. gloeosporioides infection is important for its transformation from the quiescent biotrophic stage to the necrotrophic stage of fungal colonization in the fruit host...
- Properties of an alginate-degrading Flavobacterium sp. strain LXA isolated from rotting algae from coastal ChinaQing Da An
Department of Chemical and Material Engineering, Dalian College of Light Industry, Dalian 116034, People s Republic of China
Can J Microbiol 54:314-20. 2008..strain LXA...
- Role of ionic interactions and linker in the domain interaction and modulation of functional activity of hyaluronate lyasesMd Sohail Akhtar
Molecular and Structural Biology Division, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow 226 001, India
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 353:286-92. 2007..The role of linker connecting alpha-domain to C-terminal domain was found to hold the C-terminal domain in a conformation suitable for achieving maximum activity...
- Quantification of the major allergen from cypress (Cupressus arizonica) pollen, Cup a 1, by monoclonal antibody-based ELISAM C Arilla
Research and Development Department, Bial Aristegui, Bilbao, Spain
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 134:10-6. 2004..The aim of this study is to develop a sandwich ELISA for the quantification of Cup a 1, the major allergen of cypress (Cupressus arizonica) pollen extract...
- Specific capture of mammalian cells by cell surface receptor binding to ligand immobilized on gold thin filmsDora Peelen
Department of Chemistry, 1101 University Avenue, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1396, USA
J Proteome Res 5:1580-5. 2006..This approach can simultaneously probe a large number of receptor-ligand interactions in cell populations and has potential for targeting and isolating cells from mixtures according to the receptors expressed on their surface...
- Crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of an exotype alginate lyase Atu3025 from Agrobacterium tumefaciens strain C58, a member of polysaccharide lyase family 15Akihito Ochiai
Laboratory of Basic and Applied Molecular Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 62:486-8. 2006..Preliminary X-ray analysis showed that the Atu3025 crystal belonged to space group P2(1) and diffracted to 2.8 angstroms resolution, with unit-cell parameters a = 107.7, b = 108.3, c = 149.5 angstroms, beta = 91.5 degrees...
- Overexpression of the plg1 gene encoding pectin lyase in Penicillium griseoroseumPatrícia Gomes Cardoso
Departamento de Biologia Setor de Microbiologia, Universidade Federal de Lavras, Lavras, MG, Brazil
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35:159-66. 2008..The enzyme yields reported here demonstrate that the system we developed is able to express pectin lyase at levels comparable to, or exceeding, previously reported data...
- Superchannel of bacteria: biological significance and new horizonsKousaku Murata
Laboratory of Basic and Applied Molecular Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:265-77. 2008....
- STRUCTURAL STUDIES OF BACTERIAL HYALURONATE LYASE ENZYMEMARK JEDRZEJAS; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will enhance our knowledge about mechanisms involved in the action of the enzyme and in the pathogenesis of S. pneumoniae bacteria. ..
- Molecular Approaches to Understanding Global Regulation in Paclitaxel AccumulatioElsbeth L Walker; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because production of paclitaxel in the U.S. and world depends on plant cell culture technology, this research will directly impact future paclitaxel supply for both current and emerging applications. ..
- BIOCHEMICAL MECHANISM OF HIV DNA INTEGRATIONAlan Engelman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Group B Strep Alp Protein-Epithelial Cell InteractionMIRIAM BARON BARSHAK; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic Modifiers of Cystic FibrosisMichael Boyle; Fiscal Year: 2007..Last, we will evaluate three of the strongest current CF candidate modifier genes to determine if the distribution of their functional alleles segregates with severity of lung disease in our CF clinic population. ..
- Structural biology of cedar pollen allergyTerumi Midoro Horiuti; Fiscal Year: 2007..Midoro by incorporating expertise from diverse fields. Completion of this project should greatly enhance Dr. Midoro's chances of an independent research carrier. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- B. anthracis Peptidoglycan Deacetylase as a Drug TargetDavid Pritchard; Fiscal Year: 2005..anthracis, by inhibiting the deacetylases which specifically render their cell wall peptidoglycans resistant to the action of lysozyme. ..
- LEDGF-Integrase Structural BiologyAlan Engelman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Inhibition of GBS Carriage by Engineered LactobacilliDavid Pritchard; Fiscal Year: 2004..If successful, this approach might also be used to protect against other genital, oral, and intestinal pathogens, especially those to which no effective mucosal immunity appears to develop. ..
- CHONDROCYTES MECHANICAL-HORMONAL MEDIATED RESPONSEKIMBERLY FORSTEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..This support is critical for the initiation of our long-term studies regarding mechanical-hormonal synergism in regulating normal cartilage and, by extension, what is lacking in OA cartilage. ..
- MECHANISM OF NON-INTEGRASE-MEDIATED HIV-1 REPLICATIONAlan Engelman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Further aims are to develop gene therapy vectors based on non-integrating retroviruses. ..
- VIRULENCE FACTORS OF GROUP B STREPTOCOCCIJohn Bohnsack; Fiscal Year: 2001..This approach will ultimately contribute to understanding the molecular basis of disease caused by GBS, and help devise strategies for preventing and treating this important cause of serious human neonatal bacterial infection. ..