Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pyridoxal-phosphate protein, believed to be the rate-limiting compound in the biosynthesis of polyamines. It catalyzes the decarboxylation of ornithine to form putrescine, which is then linked to a propylamine moiety of decarboxylated S-adenosylmethionine to form spermidine. EC 22.214.171.124.
Publications262 found, 100 shown here
- Polyamines and cancer: old molecules, new understandingEugene W Gerner
University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 4:781-92. 2004..Clinical trials, with well-defined goals, are now underway to evaluate the chemopreventive efficacy of inhibitors of polyamine synthesis in a range of tissues...
- Regulation of ornithine decarboxylaseAnthony E Pegg
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 281:14529-32. 2006b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) initiates the polyamine biosynthetic pathway. The amount of ODC is altered in response to many growth factors, oncogenes, and tumor promoters and to changes in polyamine levels...
- Ornithine decarboxylase, kidney size, and the tubular hypothesis of glomerular hyperfiltration in experimental diabetesS C Thomson
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology Hypertension, University of California at San Diego and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, California 92161 9151, USA
J Clin Invest 107:217-24. 2001..This growth is linked to ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Expression of a novel human ornithine decarboxylase-like protein in the central nervous system and testesL T Pitkänen
Department of Pathology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 287:1051-7. 2001b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the key enzyme of polyamine synthesis. The physiological activity of ODC is associated with cell proliferation, and high ODC activities are encountered in rapidly growing cancer cells...
- Polyamine sensing by nascent ornithine decarboxylase antizyme stimulates decoding of its mRNALeo Kurian
Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, Cologne Biocenter, Zülpicher Strasse 47a, D 50674 Cologne, Germany
Nature 477:490-4. 2011..Regulation of polyamine synthesis is mainly achieved by controlling the activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) through an unusual mechanism involving ODC antizyme, the binding of which disrupts homodimeric ODC ..
- ODC1 is a critical determinant of MYCN oncogenesis and a therapeutic target in neuroblastomaMichael D Hogarty
Division of Oncology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4318, USA
Cancer Res 68:9735-45. 2008....
- The ornithine decarboxylase gene is essential for cell survival during early murine developmentH Pendeville
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell Biol 21:6549-58. 2001Overexpression and inhibitor studies have suggested that the c-Myc target gene for ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the enzyme which converts ornithine to putrescine, plays an important role in diverse biological processes, including cell ..
- Polyamine depletion increases cytoplasmic levels of RNA-binding protein HuR leading to stabilization of nucleophosmin and p53 mRNAsTongtong Zou
Cell Biology Group, Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 281:19387-94. 2006..Depletion of cellular polyamines by inhibiting ornithine decarboxylase with alpha-difluoromethylornithine dramatically enhanced the cytoplasmic abundance of HuR, whereas ..
- Brain neurons express ornithine decarboxylase-activating antizyme inhibitor 2 with accumulation in Alzheimer's diseaseLaura T Mäkitie
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Brain Pathol 20:571-80. 2010..Antizyme inhibitors (AZINs) regulate the cellular uptake of polyamines and activate ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate-limiting enzyme of polyamine synthesis...
- Polyamines in microorganismsC W Tabor
Microbiol Rev 49:81-99. 1985
- Cytoplasmic accumulation of the RNA-binding protein HuR stabilizes the ornithine decarboxylase transcript in a murine nonmelanoma skin cancer modelShannon L Nowotarski
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 285:31885-94. 2010b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the first and usually rate-limiting enzyme in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway. Under normal physiological conditions, polyamine content and ODC enzyme activity are highly regulated...
- Antizyme and antizyme inhibitor, a regulatory tangoChaim Kahana
Department of Molecular Genetics, The Weizmann Institute of Science, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:2479-88. 2009..Antizymes are themselves regulated at the translational level by the level of polyamines. Antizymes bind ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) subunits and target them to ubiquitin-independent degradation by the 26S proteasome...
- Central role for ornithine decarboxylase in beta-adrenoceptor mediated hypertrophyK D Schluter
Physiologisches Institut, Justus Liebig Universitat, Giessen, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 45:410-7. 2000TGF-beta stimulation of cardiac myocytes induces a hypertrophic responsiveness to beta-adrenoceptor stimulation. This study investigates whether this beta-adrenoceptor mediated effect depends on induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC).
- Regulation of cell proliferation by the antizyme inhibitor: evidence for an antizyme-independent mechanismSonia W Kim
Program in Vascular Biology and Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Cell Sci 119:2583-91. 2006..binds to the regulatory protein antizyme and inhibits the ability of antizyme to interact with the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Relation of skin polyamines to the hairless phenotype in transgenic mice overexpressing spermidine/spermine N-acetyltransferaseM Pietila
A I Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
J Invest Dermatol 116:801-5. 2001..the finding that doubly transgenic mice overexpressing, both spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase and ornithine decarboxylase and with extremely high levels of putrescine in the skin, showed distinctly more severe skin changes ..
- The antizyme family: polyamines and beyondUrsula Mangold
Program in Vascular Biology, Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
IUBMB Life 57:671-6. 2005..They have been shown to inhibit cell proliferation and possess anti-tumor activity. Antizymes bind ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the key enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis...
- Critical factors determining dimerization of human antizyme inhibitorKuo Liang Su
Department of Life Sciences and Institute of Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung
J Biol Chem 284:26768-77. 2009b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the first enzyme involved in polyamine biosynthesis, and it catalyzes the decarboxylation of ornithine to putrescine...
- Ornithine decarboxylase prevents methotrexate-induced apoptosis by reducing intracellular reactive oxygen species productionC C Huang
Tzu Hui Institute of Technology, Pingtung, Taiwan, ROC
Apoptosis 10:895-907. 2005..However, the drug resistance of MTX in malignancies remains poorly understood. Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) plays an important role in diverse biological functions, including cell development, ..
- Generation of destabilized green fluorescent protein as a transcription reporterX Li
Laboratories, Inc, Palo Alto, California 94303, USA
J Biol Chem 273:34970-5. 1998..destabilized GFP for use in such studies by fusing amino acids 422-461 of the degradation domain of mouse ornithine decarboxylase (MODC) to the C-terminal end of an enhanced variant of GFP (EGFP)...
- Role of ABC transporter MRPA, gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase and ornithine decarboxylase in natural antimony-resistant isolates of Leishmania donovaniAngana Mukherjee
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110 067, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:204-11. 2007..The present work investigates the mechanism of resistance to SAG in parasites isolated from patients who are unresponsive to SAG...
- The ornithine decarboxylase gene is a transcriptional target of c-MycC Bello-Fernandez
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:7804-8. 1993..cycle arrest, promotes entry into S phase, and results in the growth factor-independent expression of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC; EC 126.96.36.199). The ODC gene contains a conserved repeat of the Myc binding site, CACGTG, in intron 1...
- Polyamine metabolism and cancerThresia Thomas
Department of Environmental and Community Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
J Cell Mol Med 7:113-26. 2003..The biosynthetic enzymes are ornithine decarboxylase, S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase, spermidine synthase, and spermine synthase...
- Targeting the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes: a promising approach to therapy of African sleeping sickness, Chagas' disease, and leishmaniasisO Heby
Department of Molecular Biology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Amino Acids 33:359-66. 2007..Consequently, enzymes involved in spermidine synthesis and utilization, i.e. arginase, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC), spermidine synthase, trypanothione synthetase (TryS)..
- Targeting ornithine decarboxylase in Myc-induced lymphomagenesis prevents tumor formationJonas A Nilsson
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Cancer Cell 7:433-44. 2005..Here, we report that disabling one of these Myc targets, Ornithine decarboxylase (Odc), abolishes Myc-induced suppression of the Cdk inhibitors p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1), thereby impairing ..
- Crystal structure of human ornithine decarboxylase at 2.1 A resolution: structural insights to antizyme bindingJ J Almrud
Department of Chemistry, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 78712, USA
J Mol Biol 295:7-16. 2000..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC, EC 4.1.1...
- Determinants of proteasome recognition of ornithine decarboxylase, a ubiquitin-independent substrateMingsheng Zhang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
EMBO J 22:1488-96. 2003b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is regulated by its metabolic products through a feedback loop that employs a second protein, antizyme 1 (AZ1). AZ1 accelerates the degradation of ODC by the proteasome...
- Long-range interactions in the dimer interface of ornithine decarboxylase are important for enzyme functionD P Myers
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390-9041, USA
Biochemistry 40:13230-6. 2001b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a pyridoxal 5'-phosphate dependent enzyme that catalyzes the first committed step in the biosynthesis of polyamines. ODC is a proven drug target for the treatment of African sleeping sickness...
- An endosymbiont positively modulates ornithine decarboxylase in host trypanosomatidsMariana Lins Frossard
Laboratorio de Ultraestrutura Celular Hertha Meyer, Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 21941 590 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 343:443-9. 2006..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) promotes polyamine biosynthesis and contributes to cell proliferation...
- The cellular localization of the L-ornithine decarboxylase/polyamine system in normal and diseased central nervous systemsH G Bernstein
Department of Psychiatry, University of Magdeburg, Germany
Prog Neurobiol 57:485-505. 1999..localization of polyamines and the polyamine-synthesizing enzymatic machinery (and especially of L-ornithine decarboxylase) may help to better understand the functional interplay between polyamines and other endogenous agents (..
- Development of difluoromethylornithine (DFMO) as a chemoprevention agentF L Meyskens
Department of Medicine Hematology Oncology, and Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Irvine, Orange 92668 2675, USA
Clin Cancer Res 5:945-51. 1999..It was hoped that this enzyme-activated, irreversible inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase, the first enzyme in polyamine synthesis, would be effective as a chemotherapy for hyperproliferative ..
- Salix caprea inhibits skin carcinogenesis in murine skin: inhibition of oxidative stress, ornithine decarboxylase activity and DNA synthesisSarwat Sultana
Department of Medical Elementology and Toxicology, Section of Chemoprevention and Nutrition Toxicology, Faculty of Science, Hamdard University, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi 110 062, India
J Ethnopharmacol 91:267-76. 2004..Phorbol esters are known to induce the tumor promotion by increasing rate of DNA synthesis, ornithine decarboxylase activity (ODC), and xanthine oxidase activity...
- Ornithine decarboxylase is upregulated by the androgen receptor in skeletal muscle and regulates myoblast proliferationNicole K L Lee
Department of Medicine, Austin Health, University of Melbourne, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 301:E172-9. 2011The aim of this study is to determine if the Odc1 gene, which encodes ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, is directly regulated by the androgen receptor (AR) in skeletal muscle myoblasts and ..
- The influence of Lactobacillus brevis on ornithine decarboxylase activity and polyamine profiles in Helicobacter pylori-infected gastric mucosaMichele Linsalata
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Scientific Institute for Digestive Diseases IRCCS Saverio de Bellis, Bari, Italy
Helicobacter 9:165-72. 2004..brevis (CD2) affects H. pylori survival in the human gastric mucosa; 2, to evaluate the effects of L. brevis (CD2) on polyamine biosynthesis in gastric biopsies from H. pylori-positive patients...
- Topoisomerase II is nonfunctional in polyamine-depleted cellsK Alm
Department of Animal Physiology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Cell Biochem 75:46-55. 1999..Using the single cell gel electrophoresis assay, we also found that spermine depletion itself caused DNA strand breaks...
- Ornithine decarboxylase is a target for chemoprevention of basal and squamous cell carcinomas in Ptch1+/- miceXiuwei Tang
Department of Dermatology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 113:867-75. 2004Solar ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation induces cutaneous ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in the polyamine-biosynthesis pathway, which drives continued proliferation and clonal expansion of initiated (mutated) cells, leading ..
- Structural requirements for novel coenzyme-substrate derivatives to inhibit intracellular ornithine decarboxylase and cell proliferationFang Wu
Department of Biochemistry, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
FASEB J 23:565-74. 2009..diverse coenzyme-substrate derivatives mimicking this type for pyridoxal 5'-phosphate-dependent human ornithine decarboxylase (hODC), a potential anticancer target, were designed, synthesized, and tested to elucidate the structural ..
- Loss of p27Kip1 from cyclin E/cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) 2 but not from cyclin D1/CDK4 complexes in cells transformed by polyamine biosynthetic enzymesK Ravanko
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Finland
Cancer Res 60:5244-53. 2000Cancer cells are known to display up-regulation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC), the key enzymes in the biosynthesis of polyamines that are essential for cellular proliferation...
- uORFs with unusual translational start codons autoregulate expression of eukaryotic ornithine decarboxylase homologsIvaylo P Ivanov
Biosciences Institute, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10079-84. 2008..Here, conserved uORFs in numerous ornithine decarboxylase homologs are identified from yeast to mammals...
- Chemically induced oxidative stress increases polyamine levels by activating the transcription of ornithine decarboxylase and spermidine/spermine-N1-acetyltransferase in human hepatoma HUH7 cellsOlga A Smirnova
Engelhardt Institute of Molecular Biology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Vavilov str 32, 119991 Moscow, Russia
Biochimie 94:1876-83. 2012..metabolism, specifically the expression and activities of enzymes catalyzing polyamine synthesis (ornithine decarboxylase; ODC) and degradation (spermidine/spermine-N(1)-acetyltransferase; SSAT), in human hepatoma cells...
- Induction of gastric ornithine decarboxylase in early weaning ratsC H Lin
Department of Pediatrics, Wayne State University and Children s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Mich, USA
Digestion 63:214-9. 2001Early weaning has been shown to induce intestinal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activities and cell proliferation in rats. No information is available about the effect of early weaning on ODC activity in the stomach.
- Identification of the ornithine decarboxylase gene in the putrescine-producer Oenococcus oeni BIFI-83Angela Marcobal
Depto de Microbiologia, Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales, CSIC, Juan de la Cierva 3, 28006 Madrid, Spain
FEMS Microbiol Lett 239:213-20. 2004We report here the identification of an ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene in the putrescine-producer Oenococcus oeni BIFI-83 strain...
- Associations of a polymorphism in the ornithine decarboxylase gene with colorectal cancer survivalJason A Zell
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:6208-16. 2009Activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in polyamine synthesis, is required for normal growth and is elevated in many cancers, including colorectal cancer...
- Bursera fagaroides, effect of an ethanolic extract on ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity in vitro and on the growth of Entamoeba histolyticaPaulina Rosas-Arreguín
Instituto de Investigacion en Biologia Experimental, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad de Guanajuato, Apartado Postal No 187, Guanajuato, Gto 36000, Mexico
Exp Parasitol 119:398-402. 2008The effect of an ethanolic extract from the stem bark of Bursera fagaroides on ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity in vitro and on the growth of Entamoeba histolytica was evaluated...
- Studies on the regulation of ornithine decarboxylase in yeast: effect of deletion in the MEU1 geneManas K Chattopadhyay
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Genetics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Building 8, Room 223, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16158-63. 2005..As the cell density increases, there is a marked fall in the level of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in the MEU1(+) cells, which we show is caused by an antizyme-requiring degradation system...
- Recurrent emergence of catalytically inactive ornithine decarboxylase homologous forms that likely have regulatory functionIvaylo P Ivanov
Biosciences Institute, University College Cork, Ireland
J Mol Evol 70:289-302. 2010b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) catalyzes the first and rate limiting step in the biosynthesis of polyamines in most eukaryotes...
- Staphylococcus pseudolugdunensis sp. nov., a pyrrolidonyl arylamidase/ornithine decarboxylase-positive bacterium isolated from blood culturesYi Wei Tang
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 60:351-9. 2008..staphylococcal isolates recovered from blood cultures with positive pyrrolidonyl arylamidase and ornithine decarboxylase reactions were identified as Staphylococcus lugdunensis by the clinical microbiology laboratory...
- X-ray structure determination of Trypanosoma brucei ornithine decarboxylase bound to D-ornithine and to G418: insights into substrate binding and ODC conformational flexibilityLaurie K Jackson
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, TX 75390 9041, USA
J Biol Chem 278:22037-43. 2003b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP)-dependent enzyme that catalyzes the rate-determining step in the biosynthesis of polyamines. ODC is a proven drug target to treat African sleeping sickness...
- Increasing ornithine decarboxylase activity is another way of prolactin preventing methotrexate-induced apoptosis: crosstalk between ODC and BCL-2P C Hsu
Department of Medicine, Da Chien General Hospital, Miao Li, Taiwan, ROC
Apoptosis 11:389-99. 2006..studies, prolactin induced Bcl-2 expression to prevent apoptosis and also provoked the activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Ornithine decarboxylase prevents tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced apoptosis by decreasing intracellular reactive oxygen speciesG Y Liu
Institute of Immunology, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Apoptosis 10:569-81. 2005b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) plays an essential role in various biological functions, including cell proliferation, differentiation and cell death. However, how it prevents the cell apoptotic mechanism is still unclear...
- Proteasomes begin ornithine decarboxylase digestion at the C terminusMingsheng Zhang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Biol Chem 279:20959-65. 2004..We used the labile enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), which is recognized by the proteasome via a 37-residue C-terminal tag, to answer this question...
- Targeting ornithine decarboxylase impairs development of MYCN-amplified neuroblastomaRobert J Rounbehler
Department of Cancer Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, Scripps Florida, Jupiter, Florida 33458, USA
Cancer Res 69:547-53. 2009..A key downstream target of Myc oncoproteins in tumorigenesis is ornithine decarboxylase (Odc), the rate-limiting enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis...
- Discovery of potent and selective inhibitors of Trypanosoma brucei ornithine decarboxylaseDavid C Smithson
Department of Chemical Biology and Therapeutics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
J Biol Chem 285:16771-81. 2010..The only validated molecular target for treatment of human African trypanosomiasis is ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), which catalyzes the first step in polyamine metabolism...
- Increased frequency of spontaneous skin tumors in transgenic mice which overexpress ornithine decarboxylaseL Megosh
Lankenau Medical Research Center, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania 19096, USA
Cancer Res 55:4205-9. 1995b>Ornithine decarboxylase, a critical regulatory enzyme for polyamine biosynthesis, is highly inducible by growth-promoting stimuli in mouse epidermis but the enzyme level is only transiently elevated due to rapid turnover of the protein...
- Docking of antizyme to ornithine decarboxylase and antizyme inhibitor using experimental mutant and double-mutant cycle dataOri Cohavi
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
J Mol Biol 390:503-15. 2009..It has the ability to bind and inhibit ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), targeting it for degradation. Az inhibitor (AzI) impairs the activity of Az...
- Co-inhibition of Plasmodium falciparum S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase/ornithine decarboxylase reveals perturbation-specific compensatory mechanisms by transcriptome, proteome, and metabolome analysesAnna C van Brummelen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, Gauteng 0002, South Africa
J Biol Chem 284:4635-46. 2009..an anti-malarial strategy, cytostasis caused by the co-inhibition of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase/ornithine decarboxylase in Plasmodium falciparum was studied with a comprehensive transcriptome, proteome, and metabolome ..
- Oral putrescine restores virulence of ornithine decarboxylase-deficient Leishmania donovani in miceTamara Olenyik
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 176:109-11. 2011..putrescine as a 1% solution in the drinking water ameliorated the profound loss of virulence exhibited by ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) deficient Leishmania donovani in mice...
- Ornithine decarboxylase overexpression is a sufficient condition for tumor promotion in mouse skinT G O'Brien
The Lankenau Medical Research Center, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania 19096, USA
Cancer Res 57:2630-7. 1997In multistage tumorigenesis models, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is usually dysregulated at some point during tumor promotion, an early stage of carcinogenesis...
- Altering the reaction specificity of eukaryotic ornithine decarboxylaseL K Jackson
Department of Pharmacology and Department of Biochemistry, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9041, USA
Biochemistry 39:11247-57. 2000b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) catalyzes the first committed step in the biosynthesis of polyamines, and it has been identified as a drug target for the treatment of African sleeping sickness, caused by Trypanosoma brucei...
- Xanthorrhizol inhibits 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-induced acute inflammation and two-stage mouse skin carcinogenesis by blocking the expression of ornithine decarboxylase, cyclooxygenase-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase through mitogen-actiWon Yoon Chung
Department of Oral Biology, Yonsei University, College of Dentistry, Seodaemoon Gu, Seoul, Korea
Carcinogenesis 28:1224-31. 2007..underlying the antitumor-promoting activity of xanthorrhizol, its effect on the TPA-induced expression of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and the upstream signaling ..
- The polyamine metabolism genes ornithine decarboxylase and antizyme 2 predict aggressive behavior in neuroblastomas with and without MYCN amplificationDirk Geerts
Department of Human Genetics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cancer 126:2012-24. 2010High polyamine (PA) levels and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) overexpression are well-known phenomena in many aggressive cancer types...
- Pronounced reduction in adenoma recurrence associated with aspirin use and a polymorphism in the ornithine decarboxylase geneMaria Elena Martinez
Arizona Cancer Center, Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:7859-64. 2003..APC influences the expression of several genes, including the c-myc oncogene and its antagonist Mad1. Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in polyamine synthesis, is a transcriptional target of c-myc and a modifier of ..
- Polyamines in cell growth and cell death: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic applicationsT Thomas
Department of Environmental and Community Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick 08903, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 58:244-58. 2001..Inhibitors of biosynthesis, polyamine analogues as well as oligonucleotide/polyamine analogue combinations are promising drug candidates for chemoprevention and/or treatment of cancer...
- Ubiquitin-free routes into the proteasomeM A Hoyt
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0414, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 61:1596-600. 2004..Examples include ornithine decarboxylase, p21/Cip1, TCRalpha, IkappaBalpha, c-Jun, calmodulin and thymidylate synthase...
- Induced JunD in intestinal epithelial cells represses CDK4 transcription through its proximal promoter region following polyamine depletionLan Xiao
Cell Biology Group, Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Biochem J 403:573-81. 2007..These results indicate that induced JunD in IECs represses CDK4 transcription through its proximal promoter region following polyamine depletion...
- Ornithine decarboxylase inhibition by alpha-difluoromethylornithine activates opposing signaling pathways via phosphorylation of both Akt/protein kinase B and p27Kip1 in neuroblastomaDana Lynn T Koomoa
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Cancer Res 68:9825-31. 2008b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a key enzyme in mammalian polyamine biosynthesis that is up-regulated in various types of cancer...
- Multiple evolutionary origin of pyridoxal-5'-phosphate-dependent amino acid decarboxylasesE Sandmeier
Biochemisches Institut der Universitat Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Biochem 221:997-1002. 1994....
- Ornithine decarboxylase antizyme finder (OAF): fast and reliable detection of antizymes with frameshifts in mRNAsMichael Bekaert
School of Biology and Environmental Science, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
BMC Bioinformatics 9:178. 2008b>Ornithine decarboxylase antizymes are proteins which negatively regulate cellular polyamine levels via their affects on polyamine synthesis and cellular uptake...
- Crystallographic and biochemical studies revealing the structural basis for antizyme inhibitor functionShira Albeck
The Israel Structural Proteomics Center, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Protein Sci 17:793-802. 2008..homeostasis by binding to the polyamine-induced protein, Antizyme (Az), with greater affinity than ornithine decarboxylase (ODC). AzI is highly homologous to ODC but is not enzymatically active...
- Arabidopsis polyamine biosynthesis: absence of ornithine decarboxylase and the mechanism of arginine decarboxylase activityC Hanfrey
Division of Food Safety Science, Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, NR4 7UA, Norwich, UK
Plant J 27:551-60. 2001..decarboxylation of ornithine could be detected in Arabidopsis extracts; however, we could not detect ornithine decarboxylase (ODC; EC 4. 1.1.17) enzymatic activity or any activity inhibitory to the ODC assay...
- Oral feeding of pomegranate fruit extract inhibits early biomarkers of UVB radiation-induced carcinogenesis in SKH-1 hairless mouse epidermisFarrukh Afaq
Department of Dermatology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Photochem Photobiol 86:1318-26. 2010..3) infiltration of leukocytes; (4) lipid peroxidation; (5) hydrogen peroxide generation; (6) ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity; and (7) ODC, cyclooxygenase-2 and proliferating cell nuclear antigen protein expression...
- Polyamine depletion in human melanoma cells leads to G1 arrest associated with induction of p21WAF1/CIP1/SDI1, changes in the expression of p21-regulated genes, and a senescence-like phenotypeD L Kramer
Grace Cancer Drug Center, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Cancer Res 61:7754-62. 2001..Treatment of MALME-3M cells with either the ornithine decarboxylase inhibitor alpha-difluoromethylornithine or the S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase inhibitor MDL-73811 ..
- Key role for p27Kip1, retinoblastoma protein Rb, and MYCN in polyamine inhibitor-induced G1 cell cycle arrest in MYCN-amplified human neuroblastoma cellsChristopher J Wallick
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1236 Lauhala Street, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Oncogene 24:5606-18. 2005Alpha-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO) inhibits the proto-oncogene ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and is known to induce cell cycle arrest...
- The methionine salvage pathway compound 4-methylthio-2-oxobutanate causes apoptosis independent of down-regulation of ornithine decarboxylaseBaiqing Tang
Division of Population Science, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 72:806-15. 2006..MTOB treatment causes apoptosis and reduction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity but not ODC mRNA...
- Polyamine biosynthetic enzymes as drug targets in parasitic protozoaO Heby
Department of Molecular Biology, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Biochem Soc Trans 31:415-9. 2003Molecular, biochemical and genetic characterization of ornithine decarboxylase, S -adenosylmethionine decarboxylase and spermidine synthase establishes that these polyamine-biosynthetic enzymes are essential for growth and survival of ..
- Ornithine decarboxylase promotes catalysis by binding the carboxylate in a buried pocket containing phenylalanine 397Laurie K Jackson
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9041, USA
Biochemistry 42:2933-40. 2003b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP) dependent enzyme that catalyzes the decarboxylation of l-Orn to putrescine, a rate-limiting step in the formation of polyamines...
- Structural elements of the ubiquitin-independent proteasome degron of ornithine decarboxylaseJunko Takeuchi
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Biochem J 410:401-7. 2008Mouse ODC (ornithine decarboxylase) is quickly degraded by the 26S proteasome in mammalian and fungal cells...
- Characterization of the Entamoeba histolytica ornithine decarboxylase-like enzymeAnupam Jhingran
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e115. 2008..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first and rate-limiting enzyme in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway, is a highly regulated ..
- Antizyme inhibitor is rapidly induced in growth-stimulated mouse fibroblasts and releases ornithine decarboxylase from antizyme suppressionJ Nilsson
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Division of Physiology, Umea University, S 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Biochem J 346:699-704. 2000b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) catalyses the first step in the synthesis of the polyamines putrescine, spermidine and spermine...
- Targeting polyamines of Aspergillus nidulans by siRNA specific to fungal ornithine decarboxylase geneMadhu Khatri
Department of Genetics, University of Delhi South Campus, New Delhi, India
Med Mycol 45:211-20. 2007..by RNAi strategy, we have examined the effect of siRNA specific to a key polyamine biosynthesis gene ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) on the in vitro germinating spores of A...
- Regulation of all members of the antizyme family by antizyme inhibitorUrsula Mangold
Center for Functional Genomics, Aventis Pharma GmbH, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Biochem J 385:21-8. 2005ODC (ornithine decarboxylase) is the rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis. Polyamines are essential for cellular growth and differentiation but enhanced ODC activity is associated with cell transformation...
- HSG cells differentiated by culture on extracellular matrix involves induction of S-adenosylmethione decarboxylase and ornithine decarboxylaseKirby Lam
Division of Tumour Biology, Northeastern Ontario Regional Cancer Centre, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada P3E 5J1
J Cell Physiol 203:353-61. 2005..polyamine pathway biosynthetic enzyme S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (SAM-DC) and the related enzyme, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), on HSG cell differentiation during culture on extracellular matrix...
- Helicobacter pylori CagA induces ornithine decarboxylase upregulation via Src/MEK/ERK/c-Myc pathway: implication for progression of gastric diseasesXia Xu
Department of Microbiology, Key Laboratory for Experimental Teratology of Chinese Ministry of Education, Shandong University, Jinan 250012, PR China
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 237:435-41. 2012..Meanwhile, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a key enzyme that catalyzes the formation of polyamines which are critical for cell growth...
- AMXT-1501, a novel polyamine transport inhibitor, synergizes with DFMO in inhibiting neuroblastoma cell proliferation by targeting both ornithine decarboxylase and polyamine transportKatherine Samal
Center for Translational Medicine, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, USA
Int J Cancer 133:1323-33. 2013..MYCN is linked to a number of genes including ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis...
- Entamoeba histolytica: purification and characterization of ornithine decarboxylasePablo Arteaga-Nieto
Instituto de Investigacion en Biologia Experimental, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad de Guanajuato, Mexico
Exp Parasitol 101:215-22. 2002b>Ornithine decarboxylase, a rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis in eukaryotes, was stabilized and purified from trophozoites of the parasite protozoan E. histolytica...
- The induction of cardiac ornithine decarboxylase by β2 -adrenergic agents is associated with calcium channels and phosphorylation of ERK1/2Andrés J López-Contreras
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology B and Immunology, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
J Cell Biochem 114:1978-86. 2013The role that the induction of cardiac ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a key enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, by beta-adrenergic agents may have in heart hypertrophy is a controversial issue...
- Minimal antizyme peptide fully functioning in the binding and inhibition of ornithine decarboxylase and antizyme inhibitorJu Yi Hsieh
Department of Life Sciences and Institute of Bioinformatics, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 6:e24366. 2011Antizyme (AZ) is a protein with 228 amino acid residues that regulates ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) by binding to ODC and dissociating its homodimer, thus inhibiting its enzyme activity...
- A prolonged and exaggerated wound response with elevated ODC activity mimics early tumor developmentCandace S Hayes
Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, Wynnewood, PA 19096, USA
Carcinogenesis 32:1340-8. 2011Induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a key enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, in ODC transgenic skin stimulates epidermal proliferation but not hyperplasia, activates underlying stromal cells and promotes skin tumorigenesis ..
- Bulk segregant analysis followed by high-throughput sequencing reveals the Neurospora cell cycle gene, ndc-1, to be allelic with the gene for ornithine decarboxylase, spe-1Kyle R Pomraning
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2011 ALS Bldg, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331 7305, USA
Eukaryot Cell 10:724-33. 2011..The single T-to-C point mutation maps to the gene encoding ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), spe-1 (NCU01271), and changes a Phe to a Ser residue within a highly conserved motif next to the ..
- Hydroxydibenzoylmethane induces apoptosis through repressing ornithine decarboxylase in human promyelocytic leukemia HL-60 cellsMing Fu Wang
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Exp Mol Med 43:189-96. 2011b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis and a target for chemoprevention. Hydroxydibenzoylmethane (HDB), a derivative of dibenzoylmethane of licorice, is a promising chemopreventive agent...
- Involvement of the ornithine decarboxylase/polyamine system in precondition-induced cardioprotection through an interaction with PKC in rat heartsYa jun Zhao
Department of Pathophysiology, Harbin Medical University, 150086, Harbin, China
Mol Cell Biochem 332:135-44. 2009..Protein kinase C (PKC) stimulates polyamine biosynthesis through the induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis...
- Effect of retinoic acid on transglutaminase and ornithine decarboxylase activities during liver regenerationYosuke Ohtake
Department of Radiopharmacy, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, 4 4 1 Komatsushima, Aoba ku, Sendai, Miyagi 981 8558, Japan
Cell Biochem Funct 26:359-65. 2008..It is suggested that transglutaminase 2 (TG2) and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) are involved in liver regeneration...
- Ornithine decarboxylase activity of L929 cells after exposure to continuous wave or 50 Hz modulated radiofrequency radiation--a replication studyA Höytö
Department of Environmental Science, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Bioelectromagnetics 28:501-8. 2007A replication study with some extensions was made to confirm enhancement of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity in murine L929 fibroblasts after radiofrequency (RF) field exposure reported in earlier studies...
- Altered nitric oxide synthase, arginase and ornithine decarboxylase activities, and polyamine synthesis in response to ischemia of the rabbit detrusorKeizo Kawano
Departments of Urology and Reproductive Medicine and Biosystem Regulation, Institute of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bynkyo ward, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
J Urol 176:387-93. 2006..We examined the changes in nitric oxide synthase, arginase and ornithine decarboxylase activity, polyamine biosynthesis and the ability to produce nitric oxide following ischemia of the rabbit ..
- Local inhibition of ornithine decarboxylase reduces vascular stenosis in a murine model of carotid injuryAmalia Forte
Dept of Experimental Medicine, Second University of Naples, Italy Excellence Research Centre for Cardiovascular Diseases, Second University of Naples, Italy
Int J Cardiol 168:3370-80. 2013..We aimed to test the effect of α-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), an inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase, on vascular cell pathophysiology in vitro and in a rat model of carotid arteriotomy-induced (re)stenosis.
- Polyamines regulate gap junction communication in connexin 43-expressing cellsL Shore
CRC Beatson Laboratories, Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Switchback Road, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1BD, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 357:489-95. 2001..We show here that increasing the activity of ornithine decarboxylase, or adding polyamines to the outside of cells, increases the level of gap junction communication between ..
- Agmatine suppresses proliferation by frameshift induction of antizyme and attenuation of cellular polyamine levelsJ Satriano
Division of Nephrology Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, La Jolla, California 92161, USA
J Biol Chem 273:15313-6. 1998..through induction of antizyme, which represses both the rate-limiting polyamine biosynthetic enzyme ornithine decarboxylase and cellular polyamine transport...
- Upregulation of ornithine decarboxylase mRNA expression in Barrett's esophagus and Barrett's-associated adenocarcinomaJ Brabender
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Research Center, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 5:174-81; discussion 182. 2001..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the first enzyme in the biosynthesis of polyamines...
- Multiple active conformers of mouse ornithine decarboxylaseS E Tsirka
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco 94143
Biochem J 293:289-95. 1993Purified recombinant mouse ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) was denatured with urea or with guanidinium chloride. Enzymic activity was efficiently recovered upon dilution of the denaturing agent...
- A gene coding for ornithine decarboxylase (odcA) is differentially expressed during the Mucor circinelloides yeast-to-hypha transitionJosé L Blasco
Departamento de Microbiologia y Genetica, Universidad de Salamanca, Spain
Res Microbiol 153:155-64. 2002..Sequence analysis and database searches of this fragment revealed high similarity to ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) encoding genes. The odcA gene of M...
- Ornithine decarboxylase attenuates leukemic chemotherapy drugs-induced cell apoptosis and arrest in human promyelocytic HL-60 cellsPei Chen Hsu
Department of Life Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Leuk Res 32:1530-40. 2008b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate-limiting enzyme of the polyamine biosynthetic pathway, plays an important role in cell cycle, tumor promotion and anti-apoptosis...
- Select nutrients in the ovine uterine lumen. IX. Differential effects of arginine, leucine, glutamine, and glucose on interferon tau, ornithine decarboxylase, and nitric oxide synthase in the ovine conceptusJinYoung Kim
Center for Animal Biotechnology and Genomics, Texas A and M University, College Station, USA
Biol Reprod 84:1139-47. 2011....
- Angiotensin Adrenergic Interactions in the KidneyRoland C Blantz; Fiscal Year: 2013..kidney gluconeogenesis, 4) kidney cell proliferation due to growth stimuli using DFMO, inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase, 5) NADPH oxidase and ROS, 6) decreased efficiency of Na reabsorption using micropuncture and ..
- Arginine Availability and Metabolism in the Immune Evasion of H. pyloriKeith T Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..and arginase II (Arg2) that generate L-ornithine, which is the substrate for polyamine synthesis by ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- H. pylori induced DNA Damage and Immune DysregulationKeith T Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..H. pylori induces ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate limiting enzyme for polyamine synthesis, in macrophages...
- MAMMALIAN POLYAMINE METABOLISMDavid J Feith; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Elevated cellular polyamine levels and increased activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, are hallmarks of tumor development in epithelial tissues...
- Polyamine Metabolism in LeishmaniaBuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The polyamine biosynthetic pathway of Leishmania consists of four enzymes: arginase (LdARG), ornithine decarboxylase (LdODC), S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (LdADOMETDC), and spermidine synthase (LdSPDSYN)...
- Immunomodulatory effects of arginine supplementation in colitis and colon cancerKeith T Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..utilization of L-Arg by arginase that generates L-ornithine (L-Orn), which can be metabolized by either ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) to generate polyamines, or ornithine aminotransferase (OAT) to generate L-proline (L-Pro)...
- Regulation and Role of Ornithine Decarboxylase in Cell Proliferation and CancerJohn L Cleveland; Fiscal Year: 2013..Remarkably, this pathway strictly relies on a single Myc transcription target, ornithine decarboxylase (Odc), the rate limiting enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis...
- Epidermal stem cell properties in mice with altered polyaminesLisa M Shantz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our previous work demonstrates that the polyamine metabolizing enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is downstream of MEK, and induction of ODC activity is necessary for skin tumor development...
- Risk reduction through polyamine inhibition among colorectal carcinoma patientsJASON ZELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..to arginine and polyamine metabolism among CRC cases through analysis of the polyamine-regulatory genes ornithine decarboxylase-1(Odc1, involved in polyamine synthesis) and spermidine spermine acetyltransferase (Ssat, involved in ..
- Polyamine and trypanothione metabolism in Trypanosoma bruceiMargaret A Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2013..The polyamine biosynthetic enzymes, including ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) are essential to the parasite and have been the ..
- Deguelin in therapy of triple negative breast cancerRajendra G Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2013..skin carcinogenesis, suppressed tumor multiplicity in MNU-induced mammary carcinogenesis and suppressed ornithine decarboxylase activity...
- Inhibiting Multiple Molecular Targets for Preventing Non-Melanoma Skin CancerMohammad Athar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Solar ultraviolet B (UVB) induces the expression and activities of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2)...
- TAS::75 0849::TASWenlin Deng; Fiscal Year: 2011..that polyamine inhibition by a-difluoromethylornithine orDFMO, a selective and irreversible inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC, the primary rate-limiting enzyme in the production of polyamines) significantly protects the ..
- HMG-CoA Reductase and Polyamine Inhibitors for Prevention of Colorectal CancerChinthalapally V Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Colon tumor cells produce high levels of polyamines endogenously through the activation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- The 26S Proteasome in Cancer Stem CellsFrank Pajonk; Fiscal Year: 2013..specifically through the 26S proteasome by virtue of the addition of a carboxy-terminal degron of ornithine decarboxylase. We have used this system to trace CICs in glioblastoma cell lines and to study their response to cancer ..
- Curcumin chemoprevention in familial adenomatous polyposisFrancis M Giardiello; Fiscal Year: 2013..b) Sequentially assess in flat and polypoid rectal-ileal mucosa markers of epithelial proliferation (ornithine decarboxylase, polyamines and immunohistochemistry for proliferating cell nuclear antigen), apoptosis (apoptotic index ..
- Targeting S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase for HAT drug discoveryMargaret A Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2013..The polyamine biosynthetic enzymes, including ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) are essential to the parasite...
- Involvement of opiorphins and polyamine synthesis in the development of priapismKelvin P Davies; Fiscal Year: 2013..tissue of retired breeder rats results in the up-regulation of arginine catabolism through activation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and polyamine synthesis...
- Colon Cancer Prevention with Phospho-SulindacBasil Rigas; Fiscal Year: 2013..DFMO inhibits ornithine decarboxylase, which catalyzes the rate-limiting step in polyamine synthesis, while sulindac stimulates polyamine ..
- REACTION SPECIFICITY OF PYRIDOXAL PHOSPHATE ENZYMESMICHAEL TONEY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Comparative studies on the reaction specificity of diaminopimelate decarboxylase and ornithine decarboxylase initiated during the last granting period will be expanded to determine the origins of reaction ..
- Proteomic analysis of eukaryotic protein synthesisAndrew J Link; Fiscal Year: 2010..The essential cell-cycle gene ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and the oncogene c- myc are translated through a cap-independent mechanism using internal ribosomal ..
- Hippocamppal neurotoxicity induced by ethanol withdrawalMark A Prendergast; Fiscal Year: 2013..manner by: (1) stimulating the synthesis of polyamines via upregulation of the synthetic enzyme ornithine decarboxylase, an effect dependent upon glucocorticoid receptor (GR) activation;and (2) upregulating the expression of ..
- Developing new ornithine decarboxylase inhibitors to prevent skin &colon cancerZigang Dong; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is highly expressed in many cancer cell types and promotes growth and tumor formation...
- MDC-1231 for cancer preventionBasil Rigas; Fiscal Year: 2010..DFMO);sulindac stimulates polyamine acetylation and export from the cell and DFMO inhibits the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase, which catalyzes the rate-limiting step in polyamine synthesis...
- DIET METHIONINE--S-ADO, POLYAMINES AND MAMMARY TUMORSERVIN HAWRYLEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 1993..Induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and increased polyamine synthesis (putrescine, spermidine and spermine) is associated with ..
- Proteasome substrate processingPhilip Coffino; Fiscal Year: 2012..and genetic strategies will be used to identify the receptor for the degron, the degradation signal, of ornithine decarboxylase. Aim 2...
- Role of Polyamines in MYCN-Amplified NeuroblastomaANDRE BACHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2009..polyamine inhibitors, DFMO and SAM486A, which specifically inhibit the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC), respectively...
- REGULATION OF ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASE ACTIVITYJohn Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 1980..essential to tissue growth and proliferation, is sensitively controlled by the activity of the enzyme, ornithine decarboxylase. The object of this study is to elucidate, in detail, the mechanism of regulation of ornithine ..
- FACSVantage SE UpgradeRAYMOND HESTER; Fiscal Year: 2004..neuropathy, ataxia, retinitis pigmentosa) and MILS (maternally inherited Leigh Syndrome), 9) role of ornithine decarboxylase in the endothelial cell toxin, monocrotaline, 10) role of activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule and ..
- ROLE OF POLYAMINES IN POSTNATAL COCHLEAR DEVELOPMENTCharles Henley; Fiscal Year: 1993..The proposed research will test the hypothesis that the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)-polyamine system plays a crucial role in cochlear development and that inhibition of the ODS-..
- CANCER CHEMOPREVENTION BY SILYMARINRajesh Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 1999..inhibits 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA)- and other skin tumor promoter-induced epidermal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity, and TPA-induced epidermal ODC mRNA expression...
- NUTRITIONAL MODIFICATION OF CANCER CELL GROWTHCRAIG BYUS; Fiscal Year: 1990..Ornithine is decarboxylated by the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase to form putrescine, which in turn is converted to spermidine and spermine...
- POLYAMINE METABOLISM AND AIDS ASSOCIATED PNEUMONIAALLEN CLARKSON JR; Fiscal Year: 1992..DFMO is a highly specific inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), key enzyme for the biosynthesis of polyamines (small molecules having multiple essential functions ..
- ODC AS A THERAPEUTIC TARGET--GENE FUNCTION ANALYSISGordon Luk; Fiscal Year: 1992The project seeks to define the regulation of ornithine decarboxylase (DDC), a potential therapeutic target for neoplasia, at the level of gene expression...
- POLYAMINES AND MONOCROTALINE PNEUMOTOXICITY (AHR-F1)JACK OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1999..The proposed research addresses the applicant's working hypothesis that ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) regulation is a central convergence point for the multiple signaling pathways driving vascular ..
- C-MYC EXPRESSION AND APOPTOSIS IN B CELLSGAIL SONENSHEIN; Fiscal Year: 2007..7) inhibition of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) promotes apoptosis...
- POLYAMINES IN CELL GROWTH AND RESPONSES TO STRESSEugene Gerner; Fiscal Year: 1992..and that one coordinately regulated pathway includes enzymes involved in polyamine biosynthesis, such as ornithine decarboxylase, certain stress-induced proteins, such as the Mr=70,000 heat shock protein, and specific growth-..
- ODC, THE CYTOSKELETON, AND CELL GROWTHRocky Tuan; Fiscal Year: 1999..Overexpression of the growth-related enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) causes cellular transformation and is central to TPA-induced papilloma formation in mouse skin...
- ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASE AND ISCHEMIC BRAIN EDEMARobert Dempsey; Fiscal Year: 1999..is improved therapy for incomplete cerebral ischemia based on a better understanding of the role of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and its polyamine products in the pathophysiology of cerebral ischemia...
- POLYAMINE METABOLISM IN DIABETESJon Levine; Fiscal Year: 1980This application will continue to study the alterations which occur in the activity of the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), thought to be the rate-limiting enzyme in the biosynthesis of the polyamines putrescine, spermidine and ..
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF BRAIN ARGININE DECARBOXYLASESoundar Regunathan; Fiscal Year: 2003..known properties of mammalian (rat brain) ADC clearly distinguishes it from other isoforms and mammalian ornithine decarboxylase, a closely related enzyme...
- NERVE GROWTH FACTOR MODULATION OF THE EGF RECEPTORAlice Brown; Fiscal Year: 1992..Short-term responses to EGF, such as the induction of ornithine decarboxylase, are also blocked by a brief pre-treatment with NGF at a concentration whish is insufficient to cause a ..
- EFFECTS OF A POLYAMINE INHIBITOR ON MURINE LUPUST Thomas; Fiscal Year: 1990..DFMO is an irreversible inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a key enzyme involved in polyamine biosynthesis...
- Evaluation of mTOR as a chemoprevention target in skin cancerLisa Shantz; Fiscal Year: 2009..reduction of mTOR in the skin of mTOR mice decreases 4EBP1 phosphorylation and blunts the induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in response to the tumor promoter TPA...
- FUNCTIONAL ANATOMY OF ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASEPhilip Coffino; Fiscal Year: 1990b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity is central to a major biochemical pathway, undergoes complex regulation, and is the target of drugs with potential therapeutic utility, but little is known of the enzyme's structure...
- REGULATION OF ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASE BY PHORBOL ESTERSAndrew Butler; Fiscal Year: 2002Induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is one of the earliest changes in gene expression elicited by phorbol ester tumor promoters such as 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA), and is a common feature of multiple classes of ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF PROSTATE CANCER--ODC AND AR GENOTYPESKathy Helzlsouer; Fiscal Year: 2001..of prostate cancer we plan to focus on the association between a new polymorphism found on the ornithine decarboxylase gene (ODC) and the development of prostate cancer...
- ODC-Az as a Tumor Suppressor by DNA DemethylationTakanori Tsuji; Fiscal Year: 2006This is a four-year proposal to examine novel anti-tumor activities of ornithine decarboxylase-antizyme (ODC-Az) in carcinogenesis by a DNA demethylation mechanism...
- PHASE I CHEMOPREVENTION USING DFMO TO MODULATE ODCGordon Luk; Fiscal Year: 1991..chemoprevention trial is proposed utilizing difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), a specific inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), to modulate odc and related enzymes and markers of colonic mucosal proliferation...
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF ORNITHINE DECARBOXYLASE ALLELESTHOMAS O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2000Recent work in animal models of carcinogenesis have demonstrated that ornithine decarboxylase (Odc) is a susceptibility gene for skin cancer...
- POLYAMINES AND CHEMICAL CARCINOGENESISTHOMAS O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using a transgenic mouse model, we have previously demonstrated that the ornithine decarboxylase (Ode) gene is a susceptibility gene for nonmelanoma skin cancer in the mouse...
- EARLY BIOCHEMICAL EVENTS IN TUMOR NECROSIS FACTOR ACTIONNicholas Donato; Fiscal Year: 1993..In addition, enzymes involved in cellular growth regulation such as ornithine decarboxylase are also affected with TNF treatment...
- Role of ornithine decarboxylase in Ras transformationLisa Shantz; Fiscal Year: 2006..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The goal of this work is to understand the mechanism by which ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity is induced during carcinogenesis by oncogenic ras, andto define the role of ODC in this ..
- Polyamines and Breast Cancer BiologyAndrea Manni; Fiscal Year: 2005..The rationale for the proposed studies derives from our preliminary finding that inhibition of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first and rate-limiting enzyme in PA biosynthesis, suppresses pulmonary metastasis from human ..
- POLYAMINE INVOLVEMENT IN MAMMARY CARCINOGENESISAndrea Manni; Fiscal Year: 2001..Specifically: (1) He will determine the influence of overexpression of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) (the first rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis) individually and in combination with ..
- Modulation of Diabetic Kidney Growth/ HypertrophyJoseph Satriano; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gordon Research Conference of PolyamineEugene Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Agmatine Mediated Arrest of ProliferationJoseph Satriano; Fiscal Year: 2003..Az inhibits both the first and rate-limiting enzyme of PA biosynthesis, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), and PA transport...
- APOPTOSIS IN COLON CANCER CHEMOPREVENTIONEugene Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Tool to Define the Antiproliferative Effects of AgmatineJoseph Satriano; Fiscal Year: 2006..The rate-limiting enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis is ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a proto-oncogene required for growth and significantly elevated in tumors...
- Arginine and Ovine Model for Fetal Growth RestrictionGuoyao Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will ultimately promote favorable pregnancy outcomes while saving billions of healthcare dollars in the U.S. and worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chemoprevention of Oral Cancer with BBICFrank Meyskens; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PanAmerican Society for Pigment Cell Research (PASPCR)Frank Meyskens; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- INVESTIGATIONS OF MAMMALIAN AMINOPROPYLTRANSFERASESANTHONY PEGG; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..