Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes that catalyze the exohydrolysis of 1,4-alpha-glucosidic linkages with release of alpha-glucose. Deficiency of alpha-1,4-glucosidase may cause GLYCOGEN STORAGE DISEASE TYPE II. EC 18.104.22.168.
Publications218 found, 100 shown here
- [Efficacy of combination therapy of alpha-glucosidase inhibitor and insulin sensitizer in patients with type 2 diabetes]Haruko Kitaoka
Department of Internal Medicine, Seikeikai Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 60:464-9. 2002
- alpha-Glucosidase inhibitory activity of some Sri Lanka plant extracts, one of which, Cassia auriculata, exerts a strong antihyperglycemic effect in rats comparable to the therapeutic drug acarboseKanthi J M Abesundara
Division of Food Biotechnology, Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture, Graduate School of Kyushu University, 6 10 1 Hakozaki, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 52:2541-5. 2004..The ED(50) of the extract (4.9 mg/kg) clearly indicated that the antihyperglycemic effect was as potent as that of therapeutic drug, acarbose (ED(50) 3.1 mg/kg)...
- Comparison of maltose and acarbose as inhibitors of maltase-glucoamylase activity in assaying acid alpha-glucosidase activity in dried blood spots for the diagnosis of infantile Pompe diseaseHaoyue Zhang
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27709, USA
Genet Med 8:302-6. 2006....
- Anti-hyperglycemic activity of an aqueous extract from flower buds of Cleistocalyx operculatus (Roxb.) Merr and PerryTruong Tuyet Mai
Department of Food and Nutrition, Japan Women s University, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 71:69-76. 2007..Consequently, CO is considered to be a promising material for preventing and treating diabetes...
- [Alpha glucosidase inhibitor]Hidenori Katsuta
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kyorin University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 64:637-45. 2006
- Arabidopsis glucosidase I mutants reveal a critical role of N-glycan trimming in seed developmentM Boisson
Laboratoire de Biologie des Semences, INRA-INAPG, Route de St-Cyr, 78026 Versailles, France
EMBO J 20:1010-9. 2001..These results demonstrate the importance of N-glycan trimming for the accumulation of seed storage proteins, the formation of protein bodies, cell differentiation and embryo development...
- Acarbose treatment and the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: the STOP-NIDDM trialJean Louis Chiasson
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal Hôtel Dieu and Department of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JAMA 290:486-94. 2003..The worldwide explosive increase in type 2 diabetes mellitus and its cardiovascular morbidity are becoming major health concerns...
- Alpha-glucosidase I is required for cellulose biosynthesis and morphogenesis in ArabidopsisC Stewart Gillmor
Carnegie Institution, Department of Plant Biology, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Cell Biol 156:1003-13. 2002..Thus in Arabidopsis cells, like yeast, N-glycan trimming is apparently required for the function of only a small subset of N-glycoproteins...
- Cloning and expression of glucosidase I from human hippocampusB Kalz-Fuller
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Bonn, Germany
Eur J Biochem 231:344-51. 1995....
- Plant N-glycan processing enzymes employ different targeting mechanisms for their spatial arrangement along the secretory pathwayClaude Saint-Jore-Dupas
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 6037, IFRMP 23, GDR 2590, UFR des Sciences, Universite de Rouen, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan Cedex, France
Plant Cell 18:3182-200. 2006..We conclude that the localization of N-glycan processing enzymes corresponds to an assembly line in the early secretory pathway and depends on both TMD length and signals in the cytoplasmic tail...
- Isomaltose formed by alpha-glucosidases triggers amylase induction in Aspergillus nidulansNaoki Kato
Department of Biological Mechanisms and Functions, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Japan
Curr Genet 42:43-50. 2002..Probably any alpha-glucosidases having isomaltose-forming activity, including AgdA and AgdB, may participate in amylase induction by maltose...
- Cloning and characterization of the glucosidase II alpha subunit gene of Trichoderma reesei: a frameshift mutation results in the aberrant glycosylation profile of the hypercellulolytic strain Rut-C30Steven Geysens
Fundamental and Applied Molecular Biology, Department for Molecular Biomedical Research, Ghent University and VIB Flemish Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Ghent Zwijnaarde, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:2910-24. 2005..While the mRNA levels were clearly upregulated upon tPA production or BFA treatment, no such enhancement was observed after DTT addition...
- Monitoring of genes that respond to overproduction of an insoluble recombinant protein in Escherichia coli glucose-limited fed-batch fermentationsB Jürgen
Institute of Microbiology, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, F L Jahnstrasse 15, D 17487 Greifswald, Germany
Biotechnol Bioeng 70:217-24. 2000..Host stress proteins, like DnaK, GroEL, IbpA, IbpB, and OmpT, have been found to be associated with the alpha-glucosidase protein aggregates...
- The Lec23 Chinese hamster ovary mutant is a sensitive host for detecting mutations in alpha-glucosidase I that give rise to congenital disorder of glycosylation IIb (CDG IIb)Yeongjin Hong
Department of Cell Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 279:49894-901. 2004..The Lec23 Chinese hamster ovary mutant represents a sensitive host for detecting a wide range of mutations in human GCS1 that give rise to CDG IIb...
- A selective differential medium for Enterobacter sakazakii, a preliminary studyCarol Iversen
School of Science, The Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Lane, Nottingham, NG11 8NS, UK
Int J Food Microbiol 96:133-9. 2004..In addition, the common use of API20E to check yellow pigmented colonies on TSA may lead to false negative results and consequently the acceptance of a batch of infant formula milk (IFM) that contains Ent. sakazakii...
- A novel alpha-glucosidase from the acidophilic archaeon Ferroplasma acidiphilum strain Y with high transglycosylation activity and an unusual catalytic nucleophileManuel Ferrer
Department of Microbiology, German Research Centre for Biotechnology GFB, Mascheroder Weg 1, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany
Biochem J 391:269-76. 2005..These results suggest that the metalloenzyme alphaGluFa is a new member of the glycosyl hydrolase family that uses a novel mechanism for sugar glycosylation and/or transglycosylation...
- Crystal structure of GH13 alpha-glucosidase GSJ from one of the deepest sea bacteriaTsuyoshi Shirai
Department of Bioscience, Nagahama Institute of Bioscience and Technology, 1266 Tamura, Nagahama 526 0829, Japan
Proteins 73:126-33. 2008..This structural feature of GSJ would explain the ability of this enzyme to accept a wide variety of nonsugar molecules as acceptors in the transglycosylation reaction...
- Purification and biochemical characterisation of a membrane-bound alpha-glucosidase from the parasite Entamoeba histolyticaJosé C Bravo-Torres
Facultad de Quimica, Instituto de Investigacion en Biologia Experimental, Universidad de Guanajuato, Apartado Postal No 187, Guanajuato, Gto 36000, Mexico
Int J Parasitol 34:455-62. 2004..Results are discussed in terms of the possible involvement of this glycosidase in N-glycan processing...
- Cell wall 1,6-beta-glucan synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae depends on ER glucosidases I and II, and the molecular chaperone BiP/Kar2pJ F Simons
Department of Cell Biology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8002, USA
EMBO J 17:396-405. 1998..We concluded that glucose trimming in S.cerevisiae is necessary for proper cell wall synthesis, and that the glucosidases function synergistically with BiP/Kar2p in this process...
- Overexpression, purification, and partial characterization of Saccharomyces cerevisiae processing alpha glucosidase IRanjani Dhanawansa
Food, Nutrition and Health, University of British Columbia, 6650 NW Marine Drive, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4, Canada
Glycobiology 12:229-34. 2002..Soluble glucosidase I was sensitive to diethyl pyrocarbonate and not affected by N-ethylmaleimide, suggesting that mechanistically it is more similar to the plant than the mammalian form of the enzyme...
- Carboxyl group of residue Asp647 as possible proton donor in catalytic reaction of alpha-glucosidase from Schizosaccharomyces pombeM Okuyama
Division of Applied Bioscience, Graduate School of Agriculture, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Eur J Biochem 268:2270-80. 2001..Studies with the chemical modifier conduritol B epoxide suggested that the carboxylate group (-COO-) of the Asp481 residue was the catalytic nucleophile, although the role of the Glu484 residue remains obscure...
- Phlebotomus papatasi and Leishmania major parasites express alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidaseR L Jacobson
Department of Parasitology, The Kuvin Center for the Study of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, 91120, Jerusalem, Israel
Acta Trop 78:41-9. 2001..In this study, we demonstrate that P. papatasi and L. major possess the enzymes for hydrolyzing starch grains that are included in the plant tissue-diet of the sand flies...
- Structure and expression of a gene coding for thermostable alpha-glucosidase with a broad substrate specificity from Bacillus sp. SAM1606M Nakao
Institute for Biomedical Research, Suntory Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Eur J Biochem 220:293-300. 1994..The thermostability of these three alpha-glucosidases could be correlated with the increase in the number of proline residues, whose occurrence was predicted at beta turns and coils in the enzymes...
- The role of glucosidase I (Cwh41p) in the biosynthesis of cell wall beta-1,6-glucan is indirectC Abeijon
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Mol Biol Cell 9:2729-38. 1998..These results demonstrate that the role of glucosidase I (Cwh41p) in the biosynthesis of cell wall beta-1,6-glucan is indirect and that dolichol-P-glucose is not an intermediate in this pathway...
- (Arg)3 within the N-terminal domain of glucosidase I contains ER targeting information but is not required absolutely for ER localizationBirgit Hardt
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universität Bonn Nussallee 11, 53115 Bonn, Germany
Glycobiology 13:159-68. 2003..This structural information appears to direct ER localization by retention rather than by retrieval, as concluded from N-linked Man9-GlcNAc2 being the major glycan released from the wild-type enzyme...
- Cloning and sequencing of an alpha-glucosidase gene from Aspergillus niger and its expression in A. nidulansA Nakamura
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Japan
J Biotechnol 53:75-84. 1997....
- Novel alpha-glucosidase from Aspergillus nidulans with strong transglycosylation activityNaoki Kato
Department of Biological Mechanisms and Functions, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:1250-6. 2002..However, AgdB was phylogenetically distinct from any other alpha-glucosidases. We propose here that AgdB is a novel alpha-glucosidase with unusually strong transglycosylation activity...
- Long-term ingestion of a fermented soybean-derived Touchi-extract with alpha-glucosidase inhibitory activity is safe and effective in humans with borderline and mild type-2 diabetesH Fujita
Research and Development Department, Nippon Supplement, Inc, Kita ku, Osaka, 531 0076, Japan
J Nutr 131:2105-8. 2001..Thus, the alpha-glucosidase inhibitory TE demonstrated an antihyperglycemic effect and may prove useful for improving glycemic control in subjects suffering from borderline and type-2 diabetes mellitus...
- A new protocol for the detection of Enterobacter sakazakii applied to environmental samplesM C Kandhai
Wageningen University, Laboratory of Food Microbiology, P O Box 8129, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Food Prot 67:1267-70. 2004..The method is useful for routine screening of environmental samples for the presence of E. sakazakii...
- A simple and rapid cultural method for detection of Enterobacter sakazakii in environmental samplesO Guillaume-Gentil
Nestle Research Centre, Quality and Safety Department, CH 1000 Lausanne 26, Switzerland
J Food Prot 68:64-9. 2005..This selective method can be very useful for the rapid and reliable detection of E. sakazakii in environmental samples...
- Inhibition of recombinant human maltase glucoamylase by salacinol and derivativesElena J Rossi
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Canada
FEBS J 273:2673-83. 2006..These results provide information on the inhibitory profile of MGAnt that will guide the development of new compounds having antidiabetic activity...
- Anti-hyperglycemic effect of diacylated anthocyanin derived from Ipomoea batatas cultivar Ayamurasaki can be achieved through the alpha-glucosidase inhibitory actionToshiro Matsui
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Division of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Graduate School of Kyushu University, 6 10 1 Hakozaki, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 50:7244-8. 2002....
- [Indication and side effect of alpha glucosidase inhibitor]Hiroshi Katahira
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kyorin University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 60:399-408. 2002
- [alpha-Glucosidase inhibitor, its structure and mechanism of antidiabetic action]Hiroyuki Odaka
Pharmacology Research Laboratories II, Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd
Nihon Rinsho 60:393-8. 2002
- Blood glucose-lowering activity of colestimide in patients with type 2 diabetes and hypercholesterolemia: a case-control study comparing colestimide with acarboseTatsuya Suzuki
Department of Functional Pathophysiology for Human Organs, Nippon Medical School Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 73:277-84. 2006..An anion exchange resin has been reported to lower blood glucose levels in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Dose-dependent efficacy of miglitol, an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor, in type 2 diabetic patients on diet alone: results of a 24-week double-blind placebo-controlled studyM L Drent
Department of Endocrinology, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Nutr Metab 15:152-9. 2002..i.d. vs placebo t.i.d. in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus on diet only...
- Novel alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, CKD-711 and CKD-711a produced by Streptomyces sp. CK-4416. II. Biological propertiesYoung In Kwon
CKD Research Institute, Chonan, Korea
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 55:462-6. 2002..07 and 1.15 mg/kg, respectively, and acarbose had ED50s of 1.94 and 1.15 mg/kg, respectively. CKD-711 and CKD-711a also showed antibacterial activity against Comamonas terrigena...
- Inhibitory effects of mulberry leaf extract on postprandial hyperglycemia in normal ratsChieko Miyahara
Department of Food and Drug, Kanagawa Prefectural Public Health Laboratories, 1 1 1 Nakao, Asahi ku, Yokohama 241 0815, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 50:161-4. 2004..The inhibitory activity of ME in a-amylase was weak. These results suggest that ME strongly suppresses postprandial hyperglycemia after carbohydrate loading by inhibiting the activity of disaccharidases in the small intestine of rats...
- [Postprandial hypoglycemia]Yutaka Mori
Department of Internal Medicine, National Hospital Organization, Utsunomiya National Hospital
Nihon Rinsho . 2006
- The use of acarbose inhibition in the measurement of acid alpha-glucosidase activity in blood lymphocytes for the diagnosis of Pompe diseaseRhona M Jack
Department of Laboratories, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Genet Med 8:307-12. 2006....
- Clinical effect of combination therapy of pioglitazone and an alpha-glucosidase inhibitorHiroaki Seino
Internal Medicine Diabetes Center, Ohta Nishinouchi Hospital, 2 5 20 Nishinouchi Kooriyama shi Fukushima ken, 963 8558, Japan
Curr Med Res Opin 19:675-82. 2003..Our findings also suggest that leptin levels could be useful for assessing responders to pioglitazone...
- Reduction of postprandial hyperglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes reduces NF-kappaB activation in PBMCsG Rudofsky
Department of Medicine I, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Horm Metab Res 36:630-8. 2004....
- alpha-Glucosidase inhibition (acarbose) fails to enhance secretion of glucagon-like peptide 1 (7-36 amide) and to delay gastric emptying in Type 2 diabetic patientsK Hucking
Medizinische Universitatsklinik, Knappschaftskrankenhaus Bochum Langendreer Germany
Diabet Med 22:470-6. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate the possible influence of acarbose on GLP-1 release and gastric emptying in Type 2 diabetic patients after a mixed test meal...
- Oral antihyperglycemic therapy for type 2 diabetes mellitusAlice Y Y Cheng
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 172:213-26. 2005....
- Anti-diabetic and anti-hypertensive potential of sprouted and solid-state bioprocessed soybeanPatrick McCue
Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:145-52. 2005....
- Inhibition of postprandial hyperglycemia by acarbose is a promising therapeutic strategy for the treatment of patients with the metabolic syndromeS Yamagishi
Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67 Asahi Machi, Kurume 830 0011, Japan
Med Hypotheses 65:152-4. 2005....
- [Selection of oral antidiabetic drugs]Yasuhiko Iwamoto
Diabetes Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University
Nihon Rinsho 63:428-32. 2005
- [Effects of acarbose, alpha-glucosidase inhibitor in treatment of impaired glucose tolerance]Noriko Sakamoto
Division of Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:451-6. 2005
- [The Study TO Prevent Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus trial (acarbose)]Rimei Nishimura
Division of Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:478-82. 2005
- [Prevention by life style intervention and medication. To run away from type 2 diabetes]Ulrike Wepner
MMW Fortschr Med 146:16. 2004
- Questioning the clinical significance of Salacia oblongaRoger A Clemens
J Am Diet Assoc 105:1201; author reply 1201-2. 2005
- [Pharmacological treatment of postprandial hyperglycemia in hypertensive patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus]Kentaro Yamada
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Kurume University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 61:1219-23. 2003..These drugs may protect pancreatic beta-cells from postprandial glucose toxicity and prevent the progression of diabetes...
- [Acarbose--an effective drug for the prevention of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases?]Markku Laakso
Duodecim 119:1921-3. 2003
- Effect of two alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, voglibose and acarbose, on postprandial hyperglycemia correlates with subjective abdominal symptomsTomomi Fujisawa
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Metabolism 54:387-90. 2005..Subjective symptoms may be a predictor of the divergent clinical response to each agent...
- [Continuation 50. Type 2 diabetes: possibilities and limitations of pharmacological therapy]M Kellerer
Marienhospital Zentrum für Innere Medizin I, Böheimstr 37, D 70199 Stuttgart
MMW Fortschr Med 145:I-X; quiz XI-XII. 2003
- Starch digestion, large-bowel fermentation and intestinal mucosal cell proliferation in rats treated with the alpha-glucosidase inhibitor acarboseMahshid Dehghan-Kooshkghazi
Human Nutrition Research Centre, School of Clinical Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK
Br J Nutr 91:357-65. 2004..In conclusion, apart from the increased faecal loss of starch, there was no evidence of adverse effects of acarbose on the aspects of large-bowel function investigated...
- Evaluation of clonal herbs of Lamiaceae species for management of diabetes and hypertensionYoung In I Kwon
Laboratory of Food Biotechnology, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:107-18. 2006..5 %) and lemon balm (0.5 %). Among the standard phenolics only resveratrol (24.1 %), hydroxybenzoic acid (19.3 %) and coumaric acid (2.3 %) had ACE inhibitory activity...
- Glucose tetrasaccharide as a biomarker for monitoring the therapeutic response to enzyme replacement therapy for Pompe diseaseYan An
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham and RTP, North Carolina, USA
Mol Genet Metab 85:247-54. 2005..These results suggest that urinary Glc4 and plasma Hex4 could serve as a valuable adjunct to clinical endpoints for monitoring the efficacy of therapeutic interventions such as rhGAA ERT in Pompe disease...
- Perturbation of free oligosaccharide trafficking in endoplasmic reticulum glucosidase I-deficient and castanospermine-treated cellsChristelle Durrant
Unité de Glycobiologie et Signalisation Cellulaire, U504, Batiment INSERM, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94807 Villejuif Cedex, France
Biochem J 365:239-47. 2002..The possibility that these abnormalities contributed to the severe and rapidly progressive pathology in a patient with congenital disorders of glycosylation type IIb (glucosidase I deficiency) is discussed...
- Potential pharmacokinetics interference between alpha-glucosidase inhibitors and other oral antidiabetic agentsAndre J Scheen
Diabetes Care 25:247-8. 2002
- Discovery and biological evaluation of novel alpha-glucosidase inhibitors with in vivo antidiabetic effectHwangseo Park
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Sejong University, 98 Kunja dong, Kwangjin ku, Seoul 143 747, Republic of Korea
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:3711-5. 2008..Structural features relevant to the interactions of the newly identified inhibitors with the active site residues of alpha-glucosidase are discussed in detail...
- In vitro alpha-glucosidase and alpha-amylase enzyme inhibitory effects of Andrographis paniculata extract and andrographolideRammohan Subramanian
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
Acta Biochim Pol 55:391-8. 2008..paniculata extract to exert antidiabetic activity and indicates that AP extract can be considered as a potential candidate for the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Comparison of efficacies of a dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor and alpha-glucosidase inhibitors in oral carbohydrate and meal tolerance tests and the effects of their combination in miceKazuto Yamazaki
Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Eisai Co, Ltd, Ibaraki, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 104:29-38. 2007....
- alpha-Glucosidase inhibitory activity of the methanolic extract from Tournefortia hartwegiana: an anti-hyperglycemic agentR R Ortiz-Andrade
Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos, Avenida Universidad 1001, Col Chamilpa, 62209 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
J Ethnopharmacol 109:48-53. 2007....
- Ileus after administration of cold remedy in an elderly diabetic patient treated with acarboseK Oba
The Division of Geriatric Medicine, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 68:61-4. 2001..These finding indicate the possibility that the ileus was triggered by drugs with anticholinergic properties in this elderly diabetic patient treated with alpha-glucosidase inhibitors...
- [Adverse effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors]Kazuhiko Sakaguchi
Division of Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 65:183-7. 2007
- Who should benefit from the use of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?Ariane Godbout
Division of Endocrinology Nutrition and Metabolism, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Curr Diab Rep 7:333-9. 2007..AGIs should be considered whenever postprandial hyperglycemia is the dominant metabolic abnormality...
- Antiobesity effects and improvement of insulin sensitivity by 1-deoxynojirimycin in animal modelsWon Ho Kong
Biomedical Engineering Interdisciplinary Course, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Agric Food Chem 56:2613-9. 2008..Its antiobesity effect and improvement of insulin sensitivity are other possible antidiabetic effects of DNJ...
- Characteristics of type 2 diabetic patients responding to voglibose administration as an adjunct to sulfonylureaT Hirose
Department of Internal Medicine, Nishinomiya Municipal Central Hospital, Nishinomiya-city, Hyogo, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 54:9-15. 2001..These results indicate that baseline FPG and HOMA-%beta are useful clinical markers to predict the effectiveness of the adjunct therapy of voglibose in sulfonylurea-treated type 2 diabetic patients...
- The alpha-glucosidase inhibitor acarbose reduces the net electronegative charge of low-density lipoprotein in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetesGoji Hasegawa
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Clin Chim Acta 390:110-4. 2008..The present study was conducted in order to compare the effects of acarbose and glimepiride treatment on serum lipoprotein profiles in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Rapid diagnosis of late-onset Pompe disease by fluorometric assay of alpha-glucosidase activities in dried blood spotsHelmut Kallwass
Genzyme Corporation, One The Mountain Road, Framingham, MA 01701, USA
Mol Genet Metab 90:449-52. 2007..Here we demonstrate that this method efficiently detects late-onset Pompe patients who are frequently misdiagnosed by conventional methods due to residual GAA activity in other tissue types...
- Efficacy and safety of voglibose in comparison with acarbose in type 2 diabetic patientsApichati Vichayanrat
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 55:99-103. 2002..At these dose levels, voglibose was associated with less gastrointestinal side effects and slightly less efficacy for postprandial glucose reduction...
- Protective effects of dietary chamomile tea on diabetic complicationsAtsushi Kato
Department of Hospital Pharmacy, University of Toyama, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 56:8206-11. 2008..These results clearly suggested that daily consumption of chamomile tea with meals could contribute to the prevention of the progress of hyperglycemia and diabetic complications...
- Oral antihyperglycemic therapy for type 2 diabetes: scientific reviewSilvio E Inzucchi
Endocrinology, TMP 534, Yale School of Medicine, Box 208020, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
JAMA 287:360-72. 2002..Deciphering which agent to use in certain clinical situations is a new dilemma facing the primary care physician...
- Acarbose feeding increases pancreatic islet blood flow in obese glucose-intolerant Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima fatty ratsMasanori Iwase
Pancreas 37:228-30. 2008
- Hypoglycemic effect of 13-membered ring thiocyclitol, a novel alpha-glucosidase inhibitor from Kothala-himbutu (Salacia reticulata)Hiromi Oe
Research Institute, Fuji Sangyo Co, Ltd, Kagawa, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:1962-4. 2008..The inhibitory activity was investigated by maltose- and sucrose-loading on Wistar rats. This study found significant lowering of postprandial glucose levels, and the potency of 13-membered ring thiocyclitol was confirmed in vivo...
- Alpha-glucosidase inhibitory activity of Syzygium cumini (Linn.) Skeels seed kernel in vitro and in Goto-Kakizaki (GK) ratsJayantrao Shinde
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, St John s University, 8000 Utopia Parkway, Jamaica, NY 11439, United States
Carbohydr Res 343:1278-81. 2008..Therefore, these results point to the inhibition of alpha-glucosidase as a possible mechanism by which this herb acts as an anti-diabetic agent...
- Role of N-linked polymannose oligosaccharides in targeting glycoproteins for endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradationR G Spiro
Departments of Biological Chemistry and Medicine, Harvard Medical School and the Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 61:1025-41. 2004....
- Importance of glycosidases in mammalian glycoprotein biosynthesisA Herscovics
McGill Cancer Centre, McGill University, 3655 Drummond Street, Montreal, Que, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1473:96-107. 1999..Cloning of the remaining alpha-mannosidases will be required to evaluate their specific functions in glycoprotein maturation...
- Disaccharidase activities in camel small intestine: biochemical investigations of maltase-glucoamylase activitySaleh A Mohamed
Molecular Biology Department, National Research Centre, Cairo, Egypt
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 146:124-30. 2007..The effect of different inhibitors on MG4 and MG6 indicated that the two enzymes had a cysteine residue...
- The membrane-bound intestinal enzymes of waxwings and thrushes: adaptive and functional implications of patterns of enzyme activityM C Witmer
Department of Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 74:584-93. 2001....
- Genes malh and pagl of Clostridium acetobutylicum ATCC 824 encode NAD+- and Mn2+-dependent phospho-alpha-glucosidase(s)John Thompson
Microbial Biochemistry and Genetics Unit, Oral Infection and Immunity Branch, NIDCR, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 279:1553-61. 2004..Of the two putative operons, our findings suggest that only proteins encoded by the mal operon participate in the dissimilation of maltose and related O-alpha-linked glucosides by C. acetobutylicum 824...
- Inhibition of bacterial alpha-glucosidases by castanospermine in pure cultures and activated sludgeN Mustafa
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Goteborg University, P O Box 462, 40530 Goteborg, Sweden
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 59:68-71. 2002..However, the assay should not be used for quantitative measurements of such activity...
- Epididymis expresses the highest 5'-deiodinase activity in the male reproductive system: kinetic characterization, distribution, and hormonal regulationBrenda Anguiano
Departamento de Neurobiologia Celular y Molecular, Instituto de Neurobiologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Queretaro 76230, Mexico
Endocrinology 149:4209-17. 2008..Further studies are necessary to analyze the possible physiological relevance of 5'-D in the male reproductive system...
- Purification and characterization of the cell-wall-associated and extracellular alpha-glucosidases from Saccharomycopsis fibuligeraV Reiser
Institute of Molecular Biology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Biochem J 308:753-60. 1995..The amino acid sequences of six peptides from both forms show marked similarity to those of Schwanniomyces occidentalis glucoamylase...
- Homonojirimycin isomers and N-alkylated homonojirimycins: structural and conformational basis of inhibition of glycosidasesN Asano
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokuriku University, Kanazawa 920 11, Japan
J Med Chem 41:2565-71. 1998..These data imply that inhibition of HIV by glycosidase inhibitors can be due to factors other than simply inhibition of processing alpha-glucosidase I...
- Congenital maltase-glucoamylase deficiency associated with lactase and sucrase deficienciesBuford L Nichols
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 35:573-9. 2002..Multiple enzyme deficiencies have been reported in some cases of congenital glucoamylase, sucrase, or lactase deficiency. Here we describe such a case and the investigations that we have made to determine the cause of this deficiency...
- Time-to-ejaculation and the quality of semen produced by masturbation at a clinicSaad Elzanaty
Centre of Reproductive Medicine, Scanian Andrology Centre, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Urology 71:883-8. 2008..To investigate the association between the length of time-to-ejaculation and semen parameters...
- Hypoglycaemic effects of myrtle oil in normal and alloxan-diabetic rabbitsAylin Sepici
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Besevler, Ankara 6230, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 93:311-8. 2004....
- Lysosomal storage of oligosaccharide and glycosphingolipid in imino sugar treated cellsStephanie D Boomkamp
Oxford Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QU, UK
Glycoconj J 27:297-308. 2010..Using a chemically induced gangliosidosis phenotype that can be modulated with substrate lowering drugs, the critical role of GM2 ganglioside in the progression of inflammatory disease is also demonstrated...
- Structure of the Sulfolobus solfataricus alpha-glucosidase: implications for domain conservation and substrate recognition in GH31Heidi A Ernst
Biophysical Chemistry Group, Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 5, DK 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
J Mol Biol 358:1106-24. 2006..It reveals Arg400, Asp87, Trp284, Met321 and Phe327 as invariant residues forming the +1 subsite in the GH31 alpha-glucosidases. Structural comparisons with other GH families suggest that the GH31 enzymes belong to clan GH-D...
- Val216 decides the substrate specificity of alpha-glucosidase in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeKeizo Yamamoto
Department of Chemistry, Nara Medical University, Japan
Eur J Biochem 271:3414-20. 2004....
- Is there a role for alpha-glucosidase inhibitors in the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus?Andre J Scheen
Division of Diabetes, Nutrition and Metabolic Disorders, Department of Medicine, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege, Belgium
Drugs 63:933-51. 2003..However, the best dosage of acarbose for this specific indication remains to be specified, especially when all three important parameters, efficacy, tolerance and cost, are taken into consideration...
- Effects of ejaculation-to-analysis delay on levels of markers of epididymal and accessory sex gland functions and sperm motilitySaad Elzanaty
Reproductive Medicine Center, Scanian Andrology Center, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Androl 28:847-52. 2007..There were negative associations between the ejaculation-to-analysis interval and sperm motility and levels of PSA and zinc. In male infertility assessments, semen analysis should be performed within 60 minutes of ejaculation...
- Alpha-glucoside formation of xenobiotics by rat liver alpha-glucosidasesH Kamimura
Department of Biopharmaceutics, Meiji College of Pharmacy
Drug Metab Dispos 20:309-15. 1992..Several other diol structure-bearing compounds were found in vitro to give rise to alpha-glucoside conjugates, and the mechanism of alpha-glucoside formation is discussed...
- Properties of maltose-inducible alpha-glucosidase MalL (sucrase-isomaltase-maltase) in Bacillus subtilis: evidence for its contribution to maltodextrin utilizationS Schönert
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Res Microbiol 150:167-77. 1999..Furthermore, MalL expression varies temporally, showing a second induction in the stationary growth phase...
- Enzymatically modified isoquercitrin, alpha-oligoglucosyl quercetin 3-O-glucoside, is absorbed more easily than other quercetin glycosides or aglycone after oral administration in ratsToshiaki Makino
Department of Pharmacognosy, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science, Nagoya City University, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 32:2034-40. 2009....
- Design and evaluation of oral bioadhesive controlled release formulations of miglitol, intended for prolonged inhibition of intestinal alpha-glucosidases and enhancement of plasma glucagon like peptide-1 levelsMangesh C Deshpande
Integrated Product Development, Dr Reddy s Laboratories Ltd, Bachupally, Qutubullapur, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Int J Pharm 380:16-24. 2009..2+/-0.82) and postprandial glucose values due to both the formulations were rather similar despite their differences in in vitro release as well as pharmacokinetic profiles (plasma miglitol AUC of CR1=16.17+/-4.11 and CR4=27.17+/-4.33)...
- Low-dose acarbose does not delay digestion of starch but reduces its bioavailabilityR E Wachters-Hagedoorn
Department of Paediatrics and Department of Medical Biomics, University of Groningen Medical Centre, Groningen, The Netherlands
Diabet Med 24:600-6. 2007..We tested the hypothesis that a low dose of acarbose delays the rate of digestion of rapidly digestible starch without reducing its bioavailability and thereby increasing resistant starch flux into the colon...
- Sugar digestion in mosquitoes: identification and characterization of three midgut alpha-glucosidases of the neo-tropical malaria vector Anopheles aquasalis (Diptera: Culicidae)Jayme A Souza-Neto
Laboratório de Entomologia Molecular, Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Rubiao Junior, Botucatu, SP, 18618 000, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 147:993-1000. 2007..Together, all data suggest that sugar is an essential component of A. aquasalis female diet. In addition, alpha-glucosidases are synthesized in the same place where sucrose is digested and absorbed, the midgut...
- Visco-elasticity of seminal fluid in relation to the epididymal and accessory sex gland function and its impact on sperm motilityS ELzanaty
Scanian Andrology Center, Fertility Center, Malmo University Hospital, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Int J Androl 27:94-100. 2004..020, respectively). Our study demonstrated the interplay between the regulatory effect of post-testicular organs on semen visco-elasticity. Hyper-visco-elasticity was associated with asthenozoospermia and lower levels of VCL, VAP and ALH...
- REGULATION OF INTESTINAL DEVELOPMENTSUSAN HENNING; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such a combination of approaches is proposed as the most efficient way to reveal the multiple steps involved in this complex aspect of intestinal development. ..
- MULTIPLEX ANALYSIS OF INBORN ERRORS OF METABOLISMMichael Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Electrogenic glucose sensor of neuromuscular junctionAndrew Voss; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Cortisol Metabolism and Fat PatterningJonathan Purnell; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- STUDY OF INTESTINAL CELL DIFFERENTIATION IN VITROAndrea Quaroni; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MINIMAL ENTERAL NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS IN NEONATESDouglas Burrin; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Sex steroid, HPA regulation, and fat patterningJonathan Purnell; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Structure and Regulation of Ghrelin in ObesityJonathan Q Purnell; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results from these studies will broaden our understanding of the brain-gut axis involved in body weight regulation by clarifying the regulation of ghrelin levels and structure in lean and obese individuals. ..
- Conference on Drug Against Tropical Protozoan ParasitesMichael Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2002..We consider the poster sessions that occur throughout our meeting to be just as important as the collection of lecture presentations. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF PROTEIN PRENYLATIONMichael Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Hypothalamic fMRI response to nutrientsJonathan Purnell; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will help us to better understand why changes in the diet might lead to weight gain or loss. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOCHEMICAL STUDIES OF 14 KDA PHOSPHOLIPASES A2Michael Gelb; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will contribute to our fundamental understanding of how mammalian cells initiate the eicosanoid cascade. ..
- GLYCOGEN METABOLISM AND SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN YEASTPeter Roach; Fiscal Year: 2005..Yeast has proven to be a useful experimental system to study vesicular trafficking and such may be true for the study of autophagy and its relationship to glycogen metabolism (aim iii). ..
- HORMONAL CONTROL OF GLYCOGEN METABOLISMPeter Roach; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also attempt to assess in animal models the roles of phosphorylation and G6P activation of GS in controlling glycogen synthesis ..
- CORTISOL, CENTRAL OBESITY, AND INSULIN RESISTANCEJonathan Purnell; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Phenylalanine Hydroxylase Deficiency: Response to BH4Reuben Matalon; Fiscal Year: 2002..Treatment with BH4 should lead to a better outcome for PKU patients and for maternal PKU. ..
- KNOCKOUT MODEL FOR CANAVAN DISEASEReuben Matalon; Fiscal Year: 2001..5) The knock-out mouse will be used in future studies for determining the metabolic role of NAA in brain, for experimentation with enzyme therapy and gene therapy. ..
- RESPONSE OF PHENYLKETONURIA TO TETRAHYDROBIOPTERIN (BH4)Reuben Matalon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Abstract Not Provided ..