Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes that catalyze the hydrolysis of a phenol sulfate to yield a phenol and sulfate. Arylsulfatase A, B, and C have been separated. A deficiency of arylsulfatases is one of the causes of metachromatic leukodystrophy (LEUKODYSTROPHY, METACHROMATIC). EC 18.104.22.168.
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- The glutathione peroxidase homologous gene from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii is transcriptionally up-regulated by singlet oxygenU Leisinger
Department of Environmental Microbiology and Molecular Ecotoxicology, Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology (EAWAG, Duebendorf
Plant Mol Biol 46:395-408. 2001..Within this region a regulatory sequence homologous to the mammalian cAMP response element (CRE) and activator protein 1 (AP-1) binding site was identified within a 16 bp palindrome...
- Cloning and characterization of two extracellular heparin-degrading endosulfatases in mice and humansMegumi Morimoto-Tomita
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
J Biol Chem 277:49175-85. 2002..Taken together, our results establish that the mammalian Sulfs are extracellular endosulfatases with strong potential for modulating the interactions of heparan sulfate proteoglycans in the extracellular microenvironment...
- Molecular cloning and initial characterization of three novel human sulfatasesAlvaro J Obaya
Departamento de Biologia Funcional, Area de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Instituto Universitario de Oncologia, Universidad de Oviedo, 33006 Oviedo, Spain
Gene 372:110-7. 2006..Interestingly, initial characterization of two of them showed that their expression pattern was mainly restricted to embryonic tissues and some cancer cell lines...
- Steroid sulfatase, arylsulfatases A and B, galactose-6-sulfatase, and iduronate sulfatase in mammary cells and effects of sulfated and non-sulfated estrogens on sulfatase activitySumit Bhattacharyya
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, United States Jesse Brown VAMC, Chicago, IL, United States
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 103:20-34. 2007..The study findings demonstrated marked variation in sulfatase activity and in effects of exogenous estrogens on sulfatase activity among the different mammary cell types...
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. Inhibition of cytosolic isozymes I and II and transmembrane, tumor-associated isozyme IX with sulfamates including EMATE also acting as steroid sulfatase inhibitorsJean Yves Winum
Universite Montpellier II, Laboratoire de Chimie Biomoleculaire, UMR 5032, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Chimie de Montpellier, 8 rue de l Ecole Normale, 34296 Montpellier Cedex, France
J Med Chem 46:2197-204. 2003..The antitumor properties of the ES/DHEAS inhibitors in clinical trials may on the other hand also be due to their potent inhibitory properties of CA isozymes involved in tumorigenicity, such as CA II and CA IX...
- Novel D-ring modified steroid derivatives as potent, non-estrogenic, steroid sulfatase inhibitors with in vivo activityDelphine S Fischer
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath, Claverton Down, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 84:343-9. 2003..They were also devoid of estrogenic activity in the uterine weight gain assay, indicating that these two leads have therapeutic potential for the treatment of hormone-dependent breast cancer...
- In vitro and in vivo models for the evaluation of new inhibitors of human steroid sulfatase, devoid of residual estrogenic activityJ Shields-Botella
Preclinical R and D Department, Théramex, 6 Avenue Prince Hereditaire Albert, 98000 Monaco
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 84:327-35. 2003..Preliminary studies indicated that other non-steroid compounds in the Théramex series were potent in vitro and in vivo inhibitors of estrone sulfatase in rats and further studies are in progress...
- Microsomal steroid sulfatase: interactions with cytosolic steroid sulfotransferasesF C Kauffman
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Chem Biol Interact 109:169-82. 1998..in intact hepatocytes is regulated, in part, by substrate cycling between sulfotransferases (SULT) and arylsulfatases (ARS)...
- Glucocorticoid deficiency delays stratum corneum maturation in the fetal mouseK Hanley
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0316, USA
J Invest Dermatol 111:440-4. 1998..These data demonstrate that fetal glucocorticoid deficiency delays SC maturation, and suggests that normal levels of glucocorticoids are not absolutely required for SC development...
- Expression of steroid sulfatase during embryogenesisN A Compagnone
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Endocrinology 138:4768-73. 1997..The sites of expression of STS were similar to those of P450c17, suggesting that these two enzymes may have concerted actions in similar functional processes...
- 3Beta-sulfamate derivatives of C19 and C21 steroids bearing a t-butylbenzyl or a benzyl group: synthesis and evaluation as non-estrogenic and non-androgenic steroid sulfatase inhibitorsLiviu C Ciobanu
Medicinal Chemistry Division, Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec CHUQ Pavillon CHUL 2705 Boulevard Laurier and Laval University, Quebec, QC, G1V 4G2, Canada
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 18:15-26. 2003....
- Epidermal steroid sulfatase and cholesterol sulfotransferase are regulated during late gestation in the fetal ratK Hanley
Department of Dermatology, University of California San Francisco, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, USA
J Invest Dermatol 108:871-5. 1997....
- Cloning and expression of the mouse pseudoautosomal steroid sulphatase gene (Sts)E C Salido
Department of Pediatrics, UCSF School of Medicine, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Nat Genet 13:83-6. 1996..Sts was also mapped physically to the distal end of the mouse sex chromosomes, and our backcross studies placed Sts distal to the 'obligatory' cross-over in male meiosis...
- High frequency de novo alterations in the long-range genomic structure of the mouse pseudoautosomal regionD Kipling
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Nat Genet 13:78-80. 1996..New alleles, often several hundred kilobases different in size, occur at a sex-averaged rate of approximately 30% per allele. Such frequent large-scale germline genome arrangements are without precedent in mammals...
- Cloning of the rat steroid sulfatase gene (Sts), a non-pseudoautosomal X-linked gene that undergoes X inactivationX M Li
UCSF School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics 94143, USA
Mamm Genome 7:420-4. 1996..Rat Sts is only 8.2 kb long, while the human STS spans over 146 kb...
- Estrogen sulfotransferase and steroid sulfatase in human breast carcinomaTakashi Suzuki
Departments of Pathology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, 980 8575, Japan
Cancer Res 63:2762-70. 2003....
- First dual aromatase-steroid sulfatase inhibitorsL W Lawrence Woo
Medicinal Chemistry, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology and Sterix Ltd, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
J Med Chem 46:3193-6. 2003..82-100 nM (cf. letrozole, 0.89 nM). One dual inhibitor was potent against both enzymes in vivo, validating the concept...
- Alleles of the microsomal steroid sulfatase gene (Sts) in the pseudoautosomal region of the heterosomes of the mouseP L Roubertoux
Genetique, Neurogenetique et Comportement, URA 1294 CNRS, UFR Biomedicale, Universite Paris V, France
C R Acad Sci III 317:523-7. 1994..A complex mechanism, involving the gene responsible for the enzyme located on the pseudoautosomal region and autosomal locus or loci which regulate(s) its activity, is suggested as being responsible for the results obtained with the F1s...
- Solid-phase parallel synthesis of 17alpha-substituted estradiol sulfamate and phenol libraries using the multidetachable sulfamate linkerLiviu C Ciobanu
Medicinal Chemistry Division, Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec CHUQ, Pavillon CHUL, Sainte Foy Québec, G1V 4G2, Canada
J Comb Chem 5:429-40. 2003..The present work also demonstrated the efficiency and the cleavage versatility of the sulfamate linker to generate libraries of compounds with relevant biological importance, phenols and sulfamates...
- Induction of selected lipid metabolic enzymes and differentiation-linked structural proteins by air exposure in fetal rat skin explantsL G Kömüves
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Invest Dermatol 112:303-9. 1999....
- CYP3A4 and CYP3A7-mediated carbamazepine 10,11-epoxidation are activated by differential endogenous steroidsHiroyoshi Nakamura
Division of Pharmacy, Chiba University Hospital Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8677, Japan
Drug Metab Dispos 31:432-8. 2003..In conclusion, CYP3A4 and CYP3A7-mediated CBZ 10,11-epoxidations are activated by different types of endogenous steroids. This is the first report regarding CYP3A7 cooperativity...
- Systemic distribution of steroid sulfatase and estrogen sulfotransferase in human adult and fetal tissuesYasuhiro Miki
Department of Pathology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8575, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5760-8. 2002..We speculate that EST may play an important role in protecting peripheral tissues from possible excessive estrogenic effects...
- Synthesis and steroid sulphatase inhibitory activity of C19- and C21-steroidal derivatives bearing a benzyl-inhibiting groupL C Ciobanu
Medicinal Chemistry Division, Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, , Pavillon CHUL, , G1V 4G2, Sainte-Foy, Canada
Eur J Med Chem 36:659-71. 2001..Inhibitors 7, 9, 15 and 16 did not induce any proliferative effect on androgen-sensitive Shionogi cells. However, when tested on oestrogen-sensitive ZR-75-1 cells, a proliferative effect was observed for 7 and 9, but not for 15 and 16...
- Aggressive behavior induced by the steroid sulfatase inhibitor COUMATE and by DHEAS in CBA/H miceL B Nicolas
, , Comportement, , , , France
Brain Res 922:216-22. 2001..These results confirm the correlation between aggressive behavior and STS concentration in mice. In addition, we confirm that the steroid metabolism can modulate the behavior in rodents...
- M31 and macroH2A1.2 colocalise at the pseudoautosomal region during mouse meiosisJ M Turner
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics, National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill London, NW7 1AA, UK
J Cell Sci 114:3367-75. 2001....
- Characterization of iodothyronine sulfatase activities in human and rat liver and placentaMonique H A Kester
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical School, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 143:814-9. 2002..we investigated the hydrolysis of iodothyronine sulfates by homogenates of V79 cells expressing the human arylsulfatases A (ARSA), B (ARSB), or C (ARSC; steroid sulfatase), as well as tissue fractions of human and rat liver and ..
- Nonsteroidal compounds designed to mimic potent steroid sulfatase inhibitorsLiviu Constantin Ciobanu
Medicinal Chemistry Division, Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec CHUQ, Pavillon CHUL T3 67, 2705 Laurier Boulevard, Sainte Foy, Que, Canada G1V 4G2
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 80:339-53. 2002..Such results suggest that compound from this later category better mimic the steroidal inhibitor...
- Regulation of estrogen activity in human endometrium: effect of IL-1beta on steroid sulfatase activity in human endometrial stromal cellsRyu Matsuoka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Showa University School of Medicine, 1 5 8, Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8666, Japan
Steroids 67:655-9. 2002..This initial demonstration of IL-1beta regulation of STS implies that IL-1beta may control the steroid microenvironment in human uterine endometrium by reducing biologic action of estrogen...
- 4,4'-Benzophenone-O,O'-disulfamate: a potent inhibitor of steroid sulfatasePeter Nussbaumer
Novartis Research Institute, Brunnerstrasse 59, A 1235, Vienna, Austria
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 12:2093-5. 2002..With an IC(50) value of 190 nM the 4,4'-derivative is the first small monocyclic STS inhibitor coming close to the potency of the steroidal standard estrone sulfamate...
- Sterolsulphate sulphohydrolase from human placenta microsomes--30 kDa molecular weight form of cholesterol sulphate sulphohydrolaseMarzenna Norkowska
Biochemistry Department, Institute of Biology and Molecular Biology, Mikołaj Kopernik University, Gagarina, Poland
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 81:263-71. 2002..The effects of steroids, -SH reacting agents and sulphohydrolase inhibitors on the enzyme activity were tested...
- 2-Substituted 4-(thio)chromenone 6-O-sulfamates: potent inhibitors of human steroid sulfatasePeter Nussbaumer
Novartis Research Institute Vienna, Brunnerstrasse 59, A 1235 Vienna, Austria
J Med Chem 45:4310-20. 2002..As with 1, all chromenone sulfamates are irreversible inhibitors of STS with a biphasic time course of inactivation...
- Constitutive expression of the steroid sulfatase gene supports the growth of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivoM R James
Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Endocrinology 142:1497-505. 2001..These studies directly demonstrate that intratumor STS activity can support estrogen-dependent tumorigenicity in an experimental model and may contribute to the promotion of human breast tumors...
- Inhibition of steryl sulfatase activity in LNCaP human prostate cancer cellsKyle W Selcer
Department of Biological Sciences, Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA 15282, USA
Steroids 67:821-6. 2002..Steryl sulfatase inhibitors may be useful as an adjuvant to androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer...
- Sex steroid metabolism in the tibial growth plate of the ratB C J van der Eerden
Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 143:4048-55. 2002..Our data suggest that intracrinology in the rat growth plate can occur and may be a major source of local sex steroid delivery...
- Organic anion-transporting polypeptide B (OATP-B) and its functional comparison with three other OATPs of human liverG A Kullak-Ublick
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Medicine, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Gastroenterology 120:525-33. 2001..We aimed to characterize the novel OATP-B with respect to tissue distribution and hepatocellular localization and to compare its substrate specificity with those of OATP-A, OATP-C, and OATP8...
- Sulfamoyloxy-substituted 2-phenylindoles: antiestrogen-based inhibitors of the steroid sulfatase in human breast cancer cellsThomas Golob
Institut fur Pharmazie, Universitat Regensburg, D 93040 Regensburg, Germany
Bioorg Med Chem 10:3941-53. 2002..With some of the new sulfamates an additional direct antiestrogenic effect was noticed which might be due to a partial hydrolysis during incubation and would improve the growth inhibitory effect on estrogen-sensitive breast cancer cells...
- Low or absent unconjugated estriol in pregnancy: an indicator for steroid sulfatase deficiency detectable by fluorescence in situ hybridization and biochemical analysisCatherine D Kashork
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Prenat Diagn 22:1028-32. 2002..Postnatal FISH confirmation of the STS deletion was performed in 1/7 cases. Clinical follow-up was available for 4/9 cases following birth...
- Steroid sulfatase and estrogen sulfotransferase in the atherosclerotic human aortaYasuhiro Nakamura
Department of Pathology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Am J Pathol 163:1329-39. 2003....
- Three-dimensional structures of sulfatasesDebashis Ghosh
Department of Structural Biology, Hauptman Woodward Medical Research Institute, Buffalo, New York, USA
Methods Enzymol 400:273-93. 2005..Crystal structures of three human sulfatases, arylsulfatases A and B (ARSA and ARSB) and C, also known as steroid sulfatase or estrone/dehydroepiandrosterone sulfatase (ES)..
- X-inactivation of the Sts locus in the mouse: an anomaly of the dosage compensation mechanismJ Jones
Genet Res 53:193-9. 1989..The difference may indicate incomplete inactivation of the locus. Linkage data verifying the location of Sts on the distal end of the X chromosome are provided.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- An Xp22 microdeletion associated with ocular albinism and ichthyosis: approximation of breakpoints and estimation of deletion size by using cloned DNA probes and flow cytometryR E Schnur
Department of Human Genetics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6072
Am J Hum Genet 45:706-20. 1989..If a contiguous gene deletion is responsible for the observed XI/OA1 phenotype, it localizes OA1 to the Xp22.3 region...
- Secretory pattern of growth hormone regulates steroid sulfatase activity in rat liverL Eriksson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
J Steroid Biochem 33:413-6. 1989..It is concluded that liver microsome sulfatase activity in the non-pregnant rat is regulated by the sexually dimorphic secretory pattern of GH...
- Lack of effect of insulin or insulin-like growth factor I on the steroid sulfatase activity of human placental cytotrophoblastsJ E Nestler
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
Horm Metab Res 21:258-60. 1989..These observations suggest that the decline in serum DHEA-S levels during hyperinsulinemia is not mediated via an insulin-induced increase in steroid sulfatase activity...
- Human glucosamine-6-sulfatase cDNA reveals homology with steroid sulfataseD A Robertson
Department of Chemical Pathology, Adelaide Children s Hospital, South Australia
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 157:218-24. 1988..The glucosamine-6-sulfatase sequence reveals homology with steroid sulfatase, a microsomal enzyme...
- The human X-linked steroid sulfatase gene and a Y-encoded pseudogene: evidence for an inversion of the Y chromosome during primate evolutionP H Yen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Laboratories, UCLA School of Medicine, Torrance 90509
Cell 55:1123-35. 1988..These results provide additional insight into the evolution of the sex chromosomes and into the nature of this interesting portion of the human genome...
- Association of steroid sulfatase with one of the arylsulfatase C isozymes in human fibroblastsP L Chang
J Biol Chem 261:14443-7. 1986..In addition, a novel form of genetic heterogeneity of isozymes in human fibroblasts is demonstrated...
- Tissue-specific expression of human arylsulfatase-C isozymes and steroid sulfataseD G Munroe
Am J Hum Genet 40:102-14. 1987..STS, measured as estrone sulfatase and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfatase, did not show similar variations. This provides further evidence that ARC activity is not necessarily identical to that of STS...
- The use of specific DNA probes to analyse the Sxr mutation in the mouseC E Bishop
Unité d Immunogénétique Humaine INSERM U276, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Development 101:167-75. 1987..Finally, using an Sxr-specific probe we can define multiple Y-chromosome haplotypes in the mouse showing that the region is evolving very rapidly...
- Isolation of a new gene from the distal short arm of the human X chromosome that escapes X-inactivationP H Yen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Torrance, CA
Hum Mol Genet 1:47-52. 1992....
- Dependence on surface pH and surface substrate concentration of activity of microsome-bound arylsulfatase C and the surface charge density in the vicinity of the enzymeK Masamoto
J Biochem 95:715-9. 1984..This suggests that the anion concentration in the vicinity of the enzyme on microsomes is lower than that in the bulk aqueous phase and is higher than the average value at the microsomal surface when the salt concentration is low...
- Transmembranous disposition of arylsulfatase C in microsomal membranes of rat liverM Moriyasu
J Biochem 92:1197-204. 1982..We conclude that microsomal arylsulfatase C is a transmembranous protein and exposed on both outer and inner surfaces of the membrane...
- Cloning and expression of human steroid-sulfatase. Membrane topology, glycosylation, and subcellular distribution in BHK-21 cellsC Stein
Universitat Gottingen, Abteilung Biochemie II, Federal Republic of Germany
J Biol Chem 264:13865-72. 1989..In spite of its similarity with these two lysosomal sulfatases, STS does not contain mannose 6-phosphate residues and is transported to lysosomes by a mannose 6-phosphate receptor-independent mechanism...
- A monoclonal antibody to rat liver arylsulfatase C and its application in immunohistochemistryJ Kawano
Department of Anatomy, Miyazaki Medical College, Japan
J Histochem Cytochem 37:683-90. 1989..These immunohistochemical findings agree with the localization demonstrated by an enzyme-histochemical method which we had previously developed...
- Unusual clinical presentation in two cases of multiple sulfatase deficiencyM E Blanco-Aguirre
, , Facultad de Medicina, UNAM, Mexico DF
Pediatr Dermatol 18:388-92. 2001..In this study we present two unusual cases of MSD with variable enzymatic deficiency of arylsulfatases A, B, and C...
- Riding the sulfur cycle--metabolism of sulfonates and sulfate esters in gram-negative bacteriaM A Kertesz
Institute of Microbiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Zentrum, CH 8092, Zurich, Switzerland
FEMS Microbiol Rev 24:135-75. 2000..Bacterial utilization of aromatic sulfate esters is catalyzed by arylsulfatases, most of which are related to human lysosomal sulfatases and contain an active-site formylglycine group that ..
- Morquio disease: isolation, characterization and expression of full-length cDNA for human N-acetylgalactosamine-6-sulfate sulfataseS Tomatsu
Department of Pediatrics, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 181:677-83. 1991..sequence of N-acetylgalactosamine-6-sulfate sulfatase showed a high degree of homology with those of other sulfatases such as human arylsulfatases A, B or C, glucosamine-6-sulfatase, iduronate-2-sulfatase and sea urchin arylsulfatase.
- A new member of the alkaline phosphatase superfamily with a formylglycine nucleophile: structural and kinetic characterisation of a phosphonate monoester hydrolase/phosphodiesterase from Rhizobium leguminosarumStefanie Jonas
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, 80 Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB21GA, UK
J Mol Biol 384:120-36. 2008..The 1.42 A crystal structure shows structural homology to arylsulfatases with conservation of the core alpha/beta-fold, the mononuclear active site and most of the active-site ..
- Developmental profiles of arylsulfatases A and B in rat cerebral cortex and spinal cordR H van der Pal
Laboratory of Veterinary Biochemistry, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1081:315-20. 1991b>Arylsulfatases A (EC 22.214.171.124) and B (EC 126.96.36.199) are lysosomal enzymes that can remove sulfate groups from sulfatides and sulfo-glycosaminoglycans, respectively...
- Rat submandibular gland during the maturation process: changes in enzyme activities, protein and lectin-binding profilesM Przybyło
Department of Animal Physiology, Institute of Zoology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Physiol Res 53:317-26. 2004..The specific activity of lysosomal hydrolases (i.e. acid phosphatase, arylsulfatases A and B, beta-N-acetyl-D-glucosaminidase, beta-galactosidase and beta-glucuronidase) decreased in parallel to ..
- 6-(2-adamantan-2-ylidene-hydroxybenzoxazole)-O-sulfamate: a potent non-steroidal irreversible inhibitor of human steroid sulfataseErwin P Schreiner
Novartis Forschungsinstitut, Brunner Strasse 59, A 1235 Vienna, Austria
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 13:4313-6. 2003..inhibitor of purified human steroid sulfatase (STS) and specific for this enzyme relative to human arylsulfatases A and B...
- Intestinal absorption and excretion of troglitazone sulphate, a major biliary metabolite of troglitazoneK Kawai
Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics Research Laboratories, Sankyo Co, Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
Xenobiotica 30:707-15. 2000..4. Enterohepatic circulation may prolong the pharmacological effects of troglitazone...
- Crystal structure of an enzyme-substrate complex provides insight into the interaction between human arylsulfatase A and its substrates during catalysisR von Bülow
Lehrstuhl für Strukturchemie Institut für Anorganische Chemie, Universitat Gottingen, Tammannstrasse 4, Gottingen, 37077, Germany
J Mol Biol 305:269-77. 2001..The crystal structures of two arylsulfatases, ASA and ASB, and kinetic studies on ASA mutants led to different proposals for the catalytic mechanism in the ..
- Activity of some hepatic enzymes in schistosomiasis and concomitant alteration of arylsulfatase BMahmoud Balbaa
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
J Biochem Mol Biol 37:223-8. 2004The levels of arylsulfatases A and B, alpha-amylase, aspartate transcarbamylase, and gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase were investigated during the infection of mice with schistosoma mansoni. This infection caused a significant (p < 0...
- Cytochemical localisation of lysosomal enzymes and acidic mucopolysaccharides in the salivary glands of Aplysia depilans (Opisthobranchia)A Lobo-da-Cunha
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences and CIIMAR, Oporto University, Portugal
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 34:217-25. 2002..Iron particles were also found in the trans-face cisternae of the U-shaped Golgi stacks, but were not seen in the cis-face cisternae or in the rough endoplasmic reticulum...
- Pharmacokinetics of the estrogen receptor subtype-selective ligands, PPT and DPN: quantification using UPLC-ES/MS/MSEstatira Sepehr
National Center for Toxicological Research, U S Food and Drug Administration, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
J Pharm Biomed Anal 71:119-26. 2012....
- Nucleosome exclusion from the interspecies-conserved central AT-rich region of the Ars insulatorHaruna Takagi
Department of Mathematical and Life Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima 739 8526, Japan
J Biochem 151:75-87. 2012..These results suggest that the central AT-rich nucleosome-free region plays an important role in the function of the Ars insulator...
- A canine Arylsulfatase G (ARSG) mutation leading to a sulfatase deficiency is associated with neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosisMarie Abitbol
Unité Mixte de Recherche 955 de Génétique Fonctionnelle et Médicale, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, and Unité Propre de Recherche de Neurobiologie, Universite Paris Est, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, F 94700 Maisons Alfort, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14775-80. 2010..Our results uncover a protein involved in neuronal homeostasis, identify a family of candidate genes to be screened in patients with Kufs' disease, and suggest that a deficiency in sulfatase is part of the NCL pathogenesis...
- Impact of PAH on biological health parameters of soils of an Indian refinery and adjoining agricultural area--a case studyPriyanka Chaudhary
Division of Microbiology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi, 110012, India
Environ Monit Assess 184:1145-56. 2012..Available phosphorus, potassium and nitrogen was also exceptionally high in this sample, indicating maximum microbial bioconversion due to presence of nutrients stimulating potent PAH-degrading microorganisms...
- A prospective study of brachytelephalangic chondrodysplasia punctata: identification of arylsulfatase E mutations, functional analysis of novel missense alleles, and determination of potential phenocopiesClaudia Matos-Miranda
Department of Human Genetics, Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Genet Med 15:650-7. 2013..Historically, ARSE mutations have been identified in only 50% of male patients, and it was proposed that the remainder might represent phenocopies due to maternal-fetal vitamin K deficiency and maternal autoimmune diseases...
- [Arylsulfatase activity in the blood of men with malignat melanoma. Preliminary reports]Rafał Kuźniewski
Uniwersytet Mikołaja Kopernika w Toruniu, Katedra i Zakład Farmakognozji Collegium Medicum w Bydgoszczy
Pol Merkur Lekarski 34:329-31. 2013..The aim of the study was decided to determine the usefulness of arylsulfatase activity in patients with melanoma of men for diagnostic purposes and for monitoring of the disease course...
- Assessing the relative importance of the biophysical properties of amino acid substitutions associated with human genetic diseaseBent N Terp
Institute of Medical Genetics, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
Hum Mutat 20:98-109. 2002..However, since the proteins examined here were unrelated, and our findings consistent, it may nevertheless prove possible to extrapolate to other proteins whose dysfunction underlies inherited disease...
- Enzyme activities and arylsulfatase protein content of dust and the soil source: biochemical fingerprints?V Acosta-Martinez
USDA ARS, Plant Stress and Water Conservation Laboratory, 3810 Fourth Street, Lubbock, TX 79416, USA
J Environ Qual 33:1653-61. 2004..The results indicated that the enzyme activities of dust will aid in providing better characterization of dust properties and expanding our understanding of soil and air quality impacts related to wind erosion...
- Metabolic enzyme activities and drug excretion in the small intestine and in the liver in the ratA Almasi
University of Pécs Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Medical Faculty Pécs Hungary
Acta Physiol Hung 100:478-88. 2013..It can be concluded that no direct correlation exists between the activity of metabolic enzymes and the excretion rate of PNP-metabolites in the liver and in the jejunal segment of the small intestine. ..
- Microbial populations and enzyme activities in soil in situ under transgenic corn expressing cry proteins from Bacillus thuringiensisI Icoz
Lab of Microbial Ecology, Dep of Biology, New York Univ, New York, NY 10003, USA
J Environ Qual 37:647-62. 2008..chain reaction-denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis) techniques and for the activities of some enzymes (arylsulfatases, acid and alkaline phosphatases, dehydrogenases, and proteases) involved in the degradation of plant biomass...
- Clinical and molecular analysis of arylsulfatase E in patients with brachytelephalangic chondrodysplasia punctataMichelle Nino
NIDA, Johns Hopkins Bayview, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Med Genet A 146:997-1008. 2008..This study supports heterogeneity for CDPX1-like phenotypes and sorting these out will help to define the biological pathway and genetic contributors...
- The Otx binding site is required for the activation of HpOtxL mRNA expression in the sea urchin, Hemicentrotus pulcherrimusYasunori Hayashibara
Department of Mathematical and Life Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University, Kagamiyama, Higashi Hiroshima 739 8526, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 46:61-7. 2004..These results suggest that the Otx binding site within the HpOtxL enhancer is required for the activation of HpOtxL mRNA expression. The promoter preference of the HpOtxL enhancer is also discussed...
- Maroteaux-Lamy syndromeSiddharth Lakhotia
Department of Surgery, SS Medical College, Associated GM and SGM Hospitals, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh, India
Indian J Pediatr 71:933-5. 2004..We present an 8-year-old male child with MPS-VI syndrome, confirmed by enzyme assay...
- Inhibition of MCF-7 breast cancer cell proliferation and in vivo steroid sulphatase activity by 2-methoxyoestradiol-bis-sulphamateBindumalini Raobaikady
Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Sterix Ltd, Imperial College, St Mary s Hospital, London W2 1NY, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 84:351-8. 2003..The anti-proliferative and STS inhibitory properties of 2-MeOE2bisMATE suggest that it has considerable potential for development as a novel anti-cancer drug...
- Genetic variations in ATP2B1, CSK, ARSG and CSMD1 loci are related to blood pressure and/or hypertension in two Korean cohortsK W Hong
Department of Biomedical Engineering, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Hum Hypertens 24:367-72. 2010....
- Regulation of the alternative oxidase Aox1 gene in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Role of the nitrogen source on the expression of a reporter gene under the control of the Aox1 promoterDenis Baurain
Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Life Sciences, B22, University of Liege, Sart Tilman, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Plant Physiol 131:1418-30. 2003..The observed pattern of AOX regulation points to the possible interaction between chloroplast and mitochondria in relation to a potential increase of photogenerated ATP when nitrate is used as a nitrogen source...
- X-linked recessive chondrodysplasia punctata: spectrum of arylsulfatase E gene mutations and expanded clinical variabilityNicola Brunetti-Pierri
Department of Pediatrics, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Am J Med Genet A 117:164-8. 2003..One patient showed an insertion (T616ins). In three patients we found deletions of the ARSE gene: in one the deletion involved only the 3' end of the gene, while in two the ARSE gene was completely deleted...
- Biochemical characterization of two (C300F, P425T) arylsulfatase a missense mutationsAna Marcao
Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
Am J Med Genet A 116:238-42. 2003..Addition of the cysteine protease inhibitor leupeptin increases the amount of ARSA activity in cells expressing the P425T substituted enzyme, whereas no increase in activity was seen with C300F substituted ARSA...
- Ultrastructural localization of Trypanosoma cruzi lysosomes by aryl sulphatase cytochemistryCamila M Adade
Laboratório de Biologia Celular de Microrganismos, Departamento de Ultra estrutura e Biologia Celular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil 4365, 21040 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Micron 38:252-6. 2007..cruzi epimastigotes and trypomastigotes. Positive reaction in cytoplasmic vesicles of C. fasciculata choanomastigotes confirmed the specificity of the reaction for lysosomes in other trypanosomatid species...
- Functional analysis of the sea urchin-derived arylsulfatase (Ars)-element in mammalian cellsSatoshi Watanabe
Aminal Genome Research Unit, Division of Animal Science, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Ikenodai 2, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305 8602, Japan
Genes Cells 11:1009-21. 2006..Luc activities were well maintained even after 12 weeks in culture. Our observations demonstrate that the Ars-element has also a barrier activity. These results indicated that the Ars-element act as an insulator in mammalian cells...
- The effect of whole-body cryostimulation on lysosomal enzyme activity in kayakers during trainingAlina Wozniak
The Chair of Medical Biology, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun, Collegium Medicum, Karłowicza 24, 85 092 Bydgoszcz, Poland
Eur J Appl Physiol 100:137-42. 2007..05) than after the sixth day of training without cryostimulation. The results support that preceding training with whole-body cryostimulation alleviates exertion stress by a stabilisation of lysosomal membranes...
- [Effect of immunosuppressors cyclophosphane and 5-fluorouracil on natural cytotoxicity and activity of lysosomal enzymes of splenocytes in C3HA mice]O N Pogodina
Institute of Cytology RAS, St Petersburg
Tsitologiia 45:74-80. 2003....
- Emergence of a virulent clade of Vibrio vulnificus and correlation with the presence of a 33-kilobase genomic islandAna Luisa V Cohen
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5553-65. 2007..b>Arylsulfatases and the sulfate reduction system, along with performing a scavenging role, have been hypothesized to play a ..
- Metachromatic leukodystrophy: consequences of sulphatide accumulationV Gieselmann
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat, Bonn, Germany
Acta Paediatr Suppl 92:74-9; discussion 45. 2003..Here we review data, largely based on an arylsulphatase A knock-out mouse model of metachromatic leukodystrophy...
- Novel point mutations in the steroid sulfatase gene in patients with X-linked ichthyosis: transfection analysis using the mutated genesN Oyama
Department of Dermatology, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 114:1195-9. 2000..In vitro steroid sulfatase cDNA expression using site-directed mutagenesis revealed that these mutations are in fact pathogenic and reflect the levels of steroid sulfatase enzyme activities in each of the X-linked ichthyosis patients...
- Genetic control of heat sensitivity and activity level of murine arylsulfatase BW L Daniel
Biochem Genet 14:1003-18. 1976..Twentyfold-purified kidney arylsulfatases B from these two strains have similar Michaelis constants, electrophoretic mobilities, pH optima, and ..
- [X-linked recessive chondrodysplasia punctata. Cytogenetic study and role of molecular biology]E Malou
, Centre Hospitalier, , BP 40319, 60021 Beauvais, France
Arch Pediatr 8:176-80. 2001..CONCLUSION: In case of chondrodysplasia punctata with dysmorphy, it is important to execute a chromosomal chart in the search for a chromosomal reorganization on the X and a study in molecular biology...
- Inhibition of steroid sulphatase activity by tricyclic coumarin sulphamatesB Malini
Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, Praed Street, W2 1NY, London, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 75:253-8. 2000..1 and 1 mg/kg doses. E1-STS activity in brain tissue and white blood cells was also found to be inhibited when selected drugs were tested. These studies have identified a number of tricyclic COUMATEs with therapeutic potential...
- Diagnosis of arylsulfatase A deficiencyZ G Li
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Med Genet 43:976-82. 1992..It will likely become the preferred choice for diagnosis of genetic disease in the future as more variant-specific mutations are identified at the molecular level...
- X-linked recessive chondrodysplasia punctata due to a new point mutation of the ARSE geneG Parenti
Department of Pediatrics, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Am J Med Genet 73:139-43. 1997..The clinical description of patients with CDPX due to known mutation of the ARSE is of interest for the precise delineation of the clinical spectrum of the disease...
- Identification by shotgun sequencing, genomic organization, and functional analysis of a fourth arylsulfatase gene (ARSF) from the Xp22.3 regionA A Puca
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine TIGEM, San Raffaele Biomedical Science Park, Milan, Italy
Genomics 42:192-9. 1997....
- Murine steroid sulfatase (mSTS): purification, characterization and measurement by ELISAS Mortaud
URA CNRS 1294 Génétique, Neurogenetique et Comportement, U F R biomédicale des Saints Pères, université Paris V René Descartes, France
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 52:91-6. 1995..Results in ELISA confirmed the polymorphism previously demonstrated for an enzymatic mSTS activity assay in two inbred mouse strains...
- Sulfation of thyroid hormone and dopamine during human development: ontogeny of phenol sulfotransferases and arylsulfatase in liver, lung, and brainK Richard
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom DD1 9SY
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2734-42. 2001....
- Structure and tissue-specific developmental expression of a sea urchin arylsulfatase geneQ Yang
Department of Biology, University of Rochester, New York 14627
Dev Biol 135:53-65. 1989b>Arylsulfatases are a group of enzymes that remove sulfate moieties from a diverse set of substrates including glycoproteins, steroids, and cerebrosides...
- Effects and risk assessment of linear alkylbenzene sulfonates in agricultural soil. 2. Effects on soil microbiology as influenced by sewage sludge and incubation timeL Elsgaard
Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Crop Physiology and Soil Science, Tjele
Environ Toxicol Chem 20:1664-72. 2001..In conclusion, the short-term inhibitory effects of LAS on soil microbiology were decreased in the presence of sewage sludge and by a prolonged (two to eight weeks) laboratory incubation period...
- Effects of the hormone relaxin on the metabolism of the glycosaminoglycans in the mouse symphysis pubisB Viell
II. Chirurgischer Lehrstuhl, , Germany
Horm Metab Res 19:415-8. 1987..The data demonstrate that relaxin treatment induces some changes in the GAG metabolism...
- Characterization of arylsulfatase C isozymes from human liver and placentaR Shankaran
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1078:251-7. 1991..However, they are distinct proteins with different substrate specificity, pH optima, heat-lability and antigenic properties. Only the s form is confirmed to be steroid sulfatase...
- PHOTOCHEMISTRY OF ARYL HALIDES AND ITS APPLICATIONSNIEN CHUN YANG; Fiscal Year: 1993..with scientists both at the University of Chicago and elsewhere, systems proposed include chymotrypsin, arylsulfatases, Trp repressor, retinoid binding proteins and insulin:receptor interaction...
- New Approaches to Schistosome vaccine antigen discoveryChristopher King; Fiscal Year: 2008..An effective vaccine could transform control programs for schistosomiasis by reducing the costs of repeated treatment, and the risk of developing drug resistance. ..
- Developing a Measure of Brain Insults In Kenyan ChildrenPenny Holding; Fiscal Year: 2004..The longer-term objective is to provide scientists in East Africa with a rigorously developed methodology for the investigation of the sequelae of brain disorders of pre-natal and peri-natal origin. ..
- Structure of Microsomal Enzymes in Estrogen BiosynthesisDebashis Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2005....