Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme which catalyzes the hydrolysis of an aryl-dialkyl phosphate to form dialkyl phosphate and an aryl alcohol. It can hydrolyze a broad spectrum of organophosphate substrates and a number of aromatic carboxylic acid esters. It may also mediate an enzymatic protection of LOW DENSITY LIPOPROTEINS against oxidative modification and the consequent series of events leading to ATHEROMA formation. The enzyme was previously regarded to be identical with Arylesterase (EC 220.127.116.11).
Publications388 found, 100 shown here
- Paraoxonase inhibits high-density lipoprotein oxidation and preserves its functions. A possible peroxidative role for paraoxonaseM Aviram
The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences and Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel, 31096
J Clin Invest 101:1581-90. 1998..The presence of PON in HDL may thus be a major contributor to the antiatherogenicity of this lipoprotein...
- Mechanisms underlying adverse effects of HDL on eNOS-activating pathways in patients with coronary artery diseaseChristian Besler
Cardiology, Cardiovascular Center, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Invest 121:2693-708. 2011....
- Plasma paraoxonase, health, inflammatory conditions, and liver function in transition dairy cowsM Bionaz
Istituto di Zootecnica, Facolta di Agraria, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Via Emilia Parmense 84, Piacenza, Italy
J Dairy Sci 90:1740-50. 2007..3 +/- 7.7 kg of milk/d during the first 30 DIM. A reduction in the ability of the liver to cope with the increased metabolic demand near parturition in dairy cows can be diagnosed using changes in baseline plasma PON...
- Prenatal exposure to organophosphates, paraoxonase 1, and cognitive development in childhoodStephanie M Engel
Department of Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:1182-8. 2011..Prenatal exposure to organophosphate pesticides has been shown to negatively affect child neurobehavioral development. Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is a key enzyme in the metabolism of organophosphates...
- Paraoxonases 1, 2, and 3, oxidative stress, and macrophage foam cell formation during atherosclerosis developmentMichael Aviram
The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences and Rambam Medical Center, 31096 Haifa, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 37:1304-16. 2004..Intervention to increase the paraoxonases (cellular and humoral) by dietary or pharmacological means can reduce macrophage foam cell formation and attenuate atherosclerosis development...
- Oxidized LDL and HDL: antagonists in atherothrombosisA Mertens
Center for Experimental Surgery and Anesthesiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
FASEB J 15:2073-84. 2001..Both enzymes actively protect hypercholesterolemic mice against atherosclerosis. Oxidized LDL inhibits these enzymes. Thus, oxidized LDL and HDL are indeed antagonists in the development of cardiovascular disease...
- Structure-reactivity studies of serum paraoxonase PON1 suggest that its native activity is lactonaseOlga Khersonsky
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Biochemistry 44:6371-82. 2005..These, and the relatively high rates measured with several lactone substrates (k(cat)/K(M) approximately 10(6) M(-)(1) s(-)(1)) imply that PON1 is in fact a lactonase...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of paraoxonases-1 and 3 in human atheromatous plaquesJudit Marsillach
Centre de Recerca Biomedica, Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan, Institut d Investigacions Sanitaries Pere Virgili, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Reus, Catalunya, Spain
Eur J Clin Invest 41:308-14. 2011..The paraoxonase (PON) enzyme family comprising PON1, PON2 and PON3 are antioxidant enzymes that degrade bioactive oxidised lipids and are thus antiatherogenic...
- Modulation of paraoxonase (PON1) activityLucio G Costa
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, 4225 Roosevelt Way NE, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 69:541-50. 2005....
- The three-gene paraoxonase family: physiologic roles, actions and regulationLouis Philippe Precourt
Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Atherosclerosis 214:20-36. 2011....
- Pharmacological and dietary modulators of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity and expression: the hunt goes onLucio G Costa
Dept of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, 4225 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 81:337-44. 2011....
- The human serum paraoxonase/arylesterase gene (PON1) is one member of a multigene familyS L Primo-Parmo
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, R5036 Kresge II Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48109 0572, USA
Genomics 33:498-507. 1996..The expanded number of PON genes will have important implications for future experiments designed to discover the individual functions, catalytic properties, and physiological roles of the paraoxonases...
- Relationship of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) gene polymorphisms and functional activity with systemic oxidative stress and cardiovascular riskTamali Bhattacharyya
Department of Cell Biology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
JAMA 299:1265-76. 2008..The relationship between PON1 genotypes and functional activity with systemic measures of oxidative stress and cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk in humans has not been systematically investigated...
- Low paraoxonase activity predicts coronary events in the Caerphilly Prospective StudyBharti Mackness
University Department of Medicine, Manchester Royal Infirmary, University of Manchester, Oxford Rd, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Circulation 107:2775-9. 2003..The hypothesis that paraoxonase (PON1) has a role in preventing atherosclerosis is based on experimental, transgenic, and case-control studies but has not previously been tested prospectively...
- Bovine paraoxonase 1 activities in serum and distribution in lipoproteinsToru Miyamoto
Department of Production Disease, National Institute of Animal Health, 3 1 5 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0856, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 67:243-8. 2005..The different distributions of PON1 among HDL subpopulations might be concerned to the function and metabolism of bovine HDL...
- Discordance in human paraoxonase-1 gene between phenotypes and genotypes in chronic kidney diseaseGyorgy Paragh
1st Department of Medicine, Faculty of Public Health, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Nephron Clin Pract 113:c46-53. 2009..Moreover, significantly reduced PON1 activity was found in chronic kidney disease (CKD) and renal transplant patients...
- The role of paraoxonase 1 in the detoxification of homocysteine thiolactoneHieronim Jakubowski
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Life Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Adv Exp Med Biol 660:113-27. 2010..This article outlines Hcy-thiolactone pathobiology and reviews evidence documenting the role of PON1 in minimizing Hcy-thiolactone and N-Hcy-protein accumulation...
- Serum paraoxonase 1 (PON1) lactonase activity is lower in end-stage renal disease patients than in healthy control subjects and increases after hemodialysisAlejandro Gugliucci
Glycation, Oxidation and Disease Laboratory, Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Touro University California, Mare Island, Vallejo, CA 94592, USA
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:61-7. 2011..The mechanism of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) atheroprotective remains elusive. The lactonizing/lactonase activity of PON1 is gaining favor as the most significant in physiology...
- Paraoxonase 1 arylesterase activity and mass are reduced and inversely related to C-reactive protein in patients on either standard or home nocturnal hemodialysisJ Kannampuzha
Keenan Research Center, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, Ontario, Canada
Clin Nephrol 73:131-8. 2010..We determined serum PON1 mass and arylesterase activities in a group of HNHD patients and compared them to SHD patients and a group of healthy controls (HC)...
- Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) gene variants are not associated with clopidogrel responseJ P Lewis
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 90:568-74. 2011..01, P = 0.78). None of 49 additional PON1 variants evaluated was associated with post-clopidogrel platelet aggregation. These findings do not support a role for PON1 as a determinant of clopidogrel response...
- Human and murine paraoxonase 1 are host modulators of Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorum-sensingEgon A Ozer
Department of Internal Medicine Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 253:29-37. 2005..Thus, paraoxonase interruption of bacterial communication represents a novel mechanism to modulate quorum-sensing by bacteria. The consequences for host immunity are yet to be determined...
- Paraoxonase 2 is down-regulated by the Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorumsensing signal N-(3-oxododecanoyl)-L-homoserine lactone and attenuates oxidative stress induced by pyocyaninSven Horke
Department of Pharmacology, University Medicine Mainz, Obere Zahlbacher Strasse 67, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Biochem J 426:73-83. 2010..These findings support a key role for PON2 in the defence against Ps. aeruginosa virulence, but also reveal a mechanism by which the bacterium may subvert the protection afforded by PON2...
- Functional genomic of the paraoxonase (PON1) polymorphisms: effects on pesticide sensitivity, cardiovascular disease, and drug metabolismLucio G Costa
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Annu Rev Med 54:371-92. 2003..A more recent area of investigation, the role of PON1 in drug metabolism, is also discussed. We emphasize the importance of considering both PON1 isoforms and PON1 levels in disease/sensitivity association studies...
- Opposite regulation of the human paraoxonase-1 gene PON-1 by fenofibrate and statinsCédric Gouédard
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 490, Centre Universitaire des Saints Peres, Paris, France
Mol Pharmacol 63:945-56. 2003..Regarding the toxicological aspects, the induction achieved with fenofibric acid, although limited, could increase organophosphate metabolism and may be relevant in certain conditions for protective treatments...
- Paraoxonase (PON1) deficiency is associated with increased macrophage oxidative stress: studies in PON1-knockout miceOrit Rozenberg
Lipid Research Laboratory, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences and Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 34:774-84. 2003....
- Human serum paraoxonase (PON 1) is inactivated by oxidized low density lipoprotein and preserved by antioxidantsM Aviram
The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences and Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 26:892-904. 1999..e. prevention of its formation, and removal of Ox-LDL associated oxidized lipids which are generated during LDL oxidation...
- Paraoxonase activity in high-density lipoproteins: a comparison between healthy and obese femalesG Ferretti
Istituto di Biochimica, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Via Ranieri, 60131 Ancona, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1728-33. 2005..The lower paraoxonase activity and the compositional changes in HDL and LDL could contribute to the greater risk of cardiovascular disease associated with obesity...
- Anti-inflammatory properties of paraoxonase-1 in atherosclerosisBharti Mackness
Universitat Rovari i Virgili, Center de Recerca Biomedica Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan, 43201, Reus, Spain
Adv Exp Med Biol 660:143-51. 2010....
- No association of paraoxonase-1 Q192R genotypes with platelet response to clopidogrel and risk of stent thrombosis after coronary stentingDirk Sibbing
Deutsches Herzzentrum München and 1 Medizinische Klinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Lazarettstrasse 36, Munich, Germany
Eur Heart J 32:1605-13. 2011..The aim of this study was to assess the impact of the PON1 Q192R genotype in parallel to that of CYP2C19*2 on the antiplatelet effect of clopidogrel and the risk of ST in clopidogrel-treated patients...
- Paraoxonase 1 polymorphisms and ischemic stroke risk: A systematic review and meta-analysisIssa J Dahabreh
Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Genet Med 12:606-15. 2010..We performed a meta-analysis of published studies investigating the association between ischemic stroke and two nonsynonymous PON1 polymorphisms, rs662 (p.Q192R) and rs854560 (p.L55M) in humans...
- The 'evolvability' of promiscuous protein functionsAmir Aharoni
Department of Biological Chemistry, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Nat Genet 37:73-6. 2005..Thus, an evolving protein can initially acquire increased fitness for a new function without losing its original function. Gene duplication and the divergence of a completely new protein may then follow...
- Paraoxonase-2 reduces oxidative stress in vascular cells and decreases endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced caspase activationSven Horke
Department of Pharmacology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Obere Zahlbacher Strasse 67, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Circulation 115:2055-64. 2007..Here, we analyzed the ROS-reducing capability of paraoxonase-2 (PON2) in different vascular cells and its involvement in the endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway known as the unfolded protein response...
- Human serum paraoxonases (PON1) Q and R selectively decrease lipid peroxides in human coronary and carotid atherosclerotic lesions: PON1 esterase and peroxidase-like activitiesM Aviram
Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Circulation 101:2510-7. 2000..PON1 protects LDL from oxidation, and during LDL oxidation, PON1 is inactivated...
- Paraoxonase-2 deficiency enhances Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorum sensing in murine tracheal epitheliaDavid A Stoltz
Department of Internal Medicine, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, 440 EMRB, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 292:L852-60. 2007..In summary, these results show that loss of PON2 impairs 3OC12-HSL degradation by airway epithelial cells and suggests that diffusion of 3OC12-HSL into the airway cells can be the rate-limiting step for degradation of the molecule...
- The 192R/Q polymorphs of serum paraoxonase PON1 differ in HDL binding, lipolactonase stimulation, and cholesterol effluxLeonid Gaidukov
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
J Lipid Res 47:2492-502. 2006....
- Dietary determinants of serum paraoxonase activity in healthy humansPaivi Kleemola
Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology Nutrition, University of Helsinki, PO Box 27, FW 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Atherosclerosis 160:425-32. 2002..Malondialdehyde levels showed conflicting associations with diet. The results suggest that the significantly lower PON activity associated with high vegetable intake needs to be studied further...
- Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) status in gastroesophageal malignancies and associated paraneoplastic syndromes - connection with inflammationMalgorzata Krzystek-Korpacka
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Wroclaw Medical University, Wroclaw, Poland
Clin Biochem 41:804-11. 2008..To evaluate the status and diagnostic utility of antioxidant paraoxonase 1 (PON1) in gastroesophageal cancers...
- Butyrylcholinesterase, paraoxonase, and albumin esterase, but not carboxylesterase, are present in human plasmaBin Li
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Eppley Institute, Omaha, NE 68198 6805, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 70:1673-84. 2005..Since human plasma contains no carboxylesterase, only BChE, PON1, and albumin esterases need to be considered when evaluating hydrolysis of an ester drug in human plasma...
- Leptin decreases plasma paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity and induces oxidative stress: the possible novel mechanism for proatherogenic effect of chronic hyperleptinemiaJerzy Bełtowski
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University, ul Jaczewskiego 8, 20 090 Lublin, Poland
Atherosclerosis 170:21-9. 2003..These mechanisms may be involved in atherogenesis in hyperleptinemic obese individuals...
- Circulating endothelial cells are elevated in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitusEbru Asicioglu
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Marmara University School of Medicine, Tophanelioglu Caddesi, No 15 10, Altunizade, Uskudar, Istanbul 32622, Turkey
Eur J Endocrinol 162:711-7. 2010..Since type 1 diabetes is associated with vascular damage, we hypothesized high CEC numbers in this patient population...
- New markers of early cardiovascular risk in multiple sclerosis patients: oxidized-LDL correlates with clinical stagingFilipe Palavra
Neurology Department, General Hospital, University and Hospital Centre of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Dis Markers 34:341-8. 2013....
- Oxidative inactivation of lactonase activity of purified human paraoxonase 1 (PON1)Su Duy Nguyen
Laboratory of Lipid Biochemistry and Protein Interactions, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, KU Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:155-60. 2009..In addition, we have showed that radical-induced inactivation of lactonase activity is prevented by some lipids...
- CYP2C19 but not PON1 genetic variants influence clopidogrel pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and clinical efficacy in post-myocardial infarction patientsJean Sebastien Hulot
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, INSERM UMR S 956, Pharmacology Department, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, Paris, France
Circ Cardiovasc Interv 4:422-8. 2011..We tested the effects of PON1 polymorphisms on clopidogrel pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics and the occurrence of cardiovascular outcomes in young post-myocardial infarction (MI) patients treated with clopidogrel...
- HDL-paraoxonase and membrane lipid peroxidation: a comparison between healthy and obese subjectsGianna Ferretti
Department of Biochemistry, Biology and Genetics, Marche Polytechnic University, Ancona, Italy
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:1079-84. 2010..In conclusion, the decrease of HDL-PON activity and the lower HDL protective action against membrane peroxidation in obese patients could contribute to accelerate the cellular oxidative damage and arteriosclerosis in obesity...
- Paraoxonase-1 status in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitisDorota Boehm
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Wroclaw Medical University, Wroclaw, Poland
Inflamm Bowel Dis 15:93-9. 2009..Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is an extracellular enzyme, which in the gastrointestinal tract may act as a local detoxifier, antioxidant, immunomodulator, and/or quorum-quenching factor. There are no data on PON1 activity in Crohn's disease (CD)...
- PON1 and oxidative stress in human sepsis and an animal model of sepsisDragomir Draganov
Head of Toxicokinetics, Metabolism Department, WIL Research Laboratories, LLC, Ashland, OH 44805, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 660:89-97. 2010..Persistently low PON1 activity in plasma was associated with lethal outcome in human and murine sepsis...
- Modulation of paraoxonase 1 and protein N-homocysteinylation by leptin and the synthetic liver X receptor agonist T0901317 in the ratJerzy Beltowski
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University, 20 090 Lublin, Poland
J Endocrinol 204:191-8. 2010..LXR agonists normalize Hcy-thiolactonase levels and decrease protein N-homocysteinylation, especially under conditions associated with excess leptin such as metabolic syndrome...
- Effect of homocysteinylation on high density lipoprotein physico-chemical propertiesGianna Ferretti
Dipartimento di Biochimica, Biologia e Genetica, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Via Ranieri, 60131 Ancona, Italy
Chem Phys Lipids 163:228-35. 2010....
- Human PON1, a biomarker of risk of disease and exposureC E Furlong
University of Washington, Department of Medicine Div of Medical Genetics, Seattle, WA, United States
Chem Biol Interact 187:355-61. 2010..Immunolocalization studies of PONs 1, 2 and 3 in nearly all mouse tissues suggest that the functions of PONs 1 and 3 extend beyond the plasma and the HDL particle...
- Prenatal pesticide and PCB exposures and birth outcomesMary S Wolff
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Pediatr Res 61:243-50. 2007..In summary, we found suggestive relationships between prenatal environmental biomarkers and birth outcomes in this population. Maternal susceptibility factors including PON1 and maternal weight contributed to the observed effects...
- Paraoxonase 2 attenuates macrophage triglyceride accumulation via inhibition of diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1Mira Rosenblat
Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
J Lipid Res 50:870-9. 2009..We thus conclude that PON2 attenuates macrophage triglyceride accumulation and foam cell formation via inhibition of microsomal DGAT1 activity, which appears to be sensitive to oxidative state...
- Acetylcholinesterase/paraoxonase interactions increase the risk of insecticide-induced Parkinson's diseaseLiat BenMoyal-Segal
The Life Sciences Institute, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
FASEB J 19:452-4. 2005..Our findings suggest that inherited interactive weakness of AChE and PON1 expression increases the insecticide-induced occurrence of Parkinson's disease...
- Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) inhibits monocyte-to-macrophage differentiationMira Rosenblat
The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Atherosclerosis 219:49-56. 2011..To analyze paraoxonase 1 (PON1) effect on monocyte-to-macrophage differentiation...
- Paraoxonase 1, quorum sensing, and P. aeruginosa infection: a novel modelM L Estin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 660:183-93. 2010..This work demonstrates the value of a D. melanogaster model for investigating the specific functions of members of the paraoxonase family in vivo, and suggests that PON1 plays a role in innate immunity...
- Diminished antioxidant activity of high-density lipoprotein-associated proteins in systolic heart failureW H Wilson Tang
Center for Cardiovascular Diagnostics and Prevention, Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Circ Heart Fail 4:59-64. 2011..In the present study, we sought to determine the prognostic role of serum arylesterase activity in subjects with systolic heart failure, particularly in relation to established cardiac biomarkers...
- The importance of high-density lipoproteins for paraoxonase-1 secretion, stability, and activityRichard W James
Clinical Diabetes Unit, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, University Hospital, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Free Radic Biol Med 37:1986-94. 2004..Finally, we highlight questions concerning the HDL-PON1 association that remain unanswered but are of particular importance in defining PON1 efficiency...
- Association of organophosphate pesticide exposure and paraoxonase with birth outcome in Mexican-American womenKim G Harley
Center for Environmental Research and Children s Health, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e23923. 2011..We explored whether paraoxonase (PON1), a key enzyme involved in detoxification of OPs, could be an effect modifier in this association...
- The roles of PON1 and PON2 in cardiovascular disease and innate immunityDiana M Shih
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1679, USA
Curr Opin Lipidol 20:288-92. 2009..In this review, we summarize studies published within the last year, elucidating involvement of PON1 and PON2 in oxidative stress, CVD, and innate immune responses...
- Adenovirus mediated expression of human paraoxonase 2 protects against the development of atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient miceCarey J Ng
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, 47 123 CHS, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Mol Genet Metab 89:368-73. 2006....
- Genetic variation in the paraoxonase-3 (PON3) gene is associated with serum PON1 activityDharambir K Sanghera
Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Ann Hum Genet 72:72-81. 2008..To our knowledge, this is the first study reporting the association of the PON3 gene variants with PON1 activity...
- The Gln-Arg191 polymorphism of the human paraoxonase gene (HUMPONA) is not associated with the risk of coronary artery disease in FinnsM Antikainen
National Public Health Institute, Department of Biochemistry, Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Invest 98:883-5. 1996..In conclusion, we found no association between the Gln-Arg 191 polymorphism of the human paraoxonase gene and coronary artery disease in Finns...
- Maternal exposure to floricultural work during pregnancy, PON1 Q192R polymorphisms and the risk of low birth weightG Moreno-Banda
Population Health Research Center, National Institute of Public Health, Avenida Universidad 655, Colonia Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, 62508 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Sci Total Environ 407:5478-85. 2009..Paraoxonase (PON1) detoxifies organophosphates by cleavage of active oxons. Some PON1 gene polymorphisms could reduce the enzyme activity and increase susceptibility to OP toxicity...
- Drosophila are protected from Pseudomonas aeruginosa lethality by transgenic expression of paraoxonase-1David A Stoltz
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Clin Invest 118:3123-31. 2008....
- One enzyme, two functions: PON2 prevents mitochondrial superoxide formation and apoptosis independent from its lactonase activitySebastian Altenhöfer
Department of Pharmacology, University Medical Center, Johannes Gutenberg University, Obere Zahlbacher Strasse 67, 55131 Mainz, Germany
J Biol Chem 285:24398-403. 2010..Collectively, our study provides detailed mechanistic insight into the functions of PON2, which is important for its role in innate immunity, atherosclerosis, and cancer...
- Studies on protective effects of human paraoxonases 1 and 3 on atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E knockout miceC Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Life Science School, Nanjing University, Nanjing, PR China
Gene Ther 17:626-33. 2010..In conclusion, hPON1 and hPON3 exhibited similar potentials in reducing arterial lesion size, but they exerted antiatherogenic effects in distinct ways...
- Relation of PON1 and CYP1A1 genetic polymorphisms to clinical findings in a cross-sectional study of a Greek rural population professionally exposed to pesticidesA M Tsatsakis
Centre of Toxicology Sciences and Research, Medical School, University of Crete, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, Voutes, Heraklion, 71409 Crete, Greece
Toxicol Lett 186:66-72. 2009....
- Calcium-dependent human serum homocysteine thiolactone hydrolase. A protective mechanism against protein N-homocysteinylationH Jakubowski
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Biol Chem 275:3957-62. 2000..By detoxifying homocysteine thiolactone, the thiolactonase/paraoxonase would protect proteins against homocysteinylation, a potential contributing factor to atherosclerosis...
- Association of paraoxonase gene cluster polymorphisms with ALS in France, Quebec, and SwedenP N Valdmanis
Center of Excellence in Neuromics, University of Montreal, CHUM Research Center, Notre Dame Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Neurology 71:514-20. 2008..In addition, PON variants were shown to be associated with susceptibility to ALS in several North American and European populations...
- HDL-associated paraoxonase-1 can redistribute to cell membranes and influence sensitivity to oxidative stressSara P Deakin
Clinical Diabetes Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Free Radic Biol Med 50:102-9. 2011..The observations may be of relevance to tissues exposed to oxidative stress and/or bacterial infection...
- The role of paraoxonase 1 activity in cardiovascular disease: potential for therapeutic interventionMichael I Mackness
University Department of Medicine, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 4:211-7. 2004....
- PON1 and neurodevelopment in children from the CHAMACOS study exposed to organophosphate pesticides in uteroBrenda Eskenazi
Center for Environmental Research and Children s Health, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94602, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:1775-81. 2010....
- Paraoxonases role in the prevention of cardiovascular diseasesMira Rosenblat
The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Biofactors 35:98-104. 2009....
- Molecular basis for the polymorphic forms of human serum paraoxonase/arylesterase: glutamine or arginine at position 191, for the respective A or B allozymesS Adkins
Department of Environmental and Industrial Health, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0572
Am J Hum Genet 52:598-608. 1993..Pedigree analysis showed both polymorphisms to be inherited in the expected Mendelian manner and confirmed that only the 191 polymorphism showed concordance with the serum paraoxonase/arylesterase phenotypes...
- Anti-oxidant properties of high-density lipoprotein and atherosclerosisEugene A Podrez
Department of Molecular Cardiology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 37:719-25. 2010..4. The focus of the present review is on the anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory functions of HDL and its individual components in relation to protection from atherosclerosis...
- The paraoxonase gene family and atherosclerosisCarey J Ng
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 38:153-63. 2005....
- Paraoxonase-1 is a major determinant of clopidogrel efficacyHeleen J Bouman
Department of Cardiology, St Antonius Hospital Nieuwegein, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Nat Med 17:110-6. 2011..Thus, we identified PON1 as a key factor for the bioactivation and clinical activity of clopidogrel. These findings have therapeutic implications and may be exploited to prospectively assess the clinical efficacy of clopidogrel...
- Paraoxonase-2 is a ubiquitously expressed protein with antioxidant properties and is capable of preventing cell-mediated oxidative modification of low density lipoproteinC J Ng
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1679, USA
J Biol Chem 276:44444-9. 2001..However, in contrast to PON1 and PON3, PON2 may exert its antioxidant functions at the cellular level, joining the host of intracellular antioxidant enzymes that protect cells from oxidative stress...
- Human paraoxonases (PON1, PON2, and PON3) are lactonases with overlapping and distinct substrate specificitiesDragomir I Draganov
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Lipid Res 46:1239-47. 2005..None of the recombinant PONs protected low density lipoprotein against copper-induced oxidation in vitro...
- Oxidative inactivation of paraoxonase1, an antioxidant protein and its effect on antioxidant actionSu Duy Nguyen
College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University, Yuseong Ku, Taejon 305 764, South Korea
Free Radic Res 37:1319-30. 2003....
- Human apolipoprotein A-II enrichment displaces paraoxonase from HDL and impairs its antioxidant properties: a new mechanism linking HDL protein composition and antiatherogenic potentialVicent Ribas
Institut de Recerca de l Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Circ Res 95:789-97. 2004..Further, the displacement of PON1 by apoA-II could explain in part why PON1 is mostly found in HDL particles with apoA-I and without apoA-II, as well as the poor antiatherogenic properties of apoA-II-rich HDL...
- Combined serum paraoxonase knockout/apolipoprotein E knockout mice exhibit increased lipoprotein oxidation and atherosclerosisD M Shih
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Biol Chem 275:17527-35. 2000..These data demonstrate that PON1 deficiency promotes LDL oxidation and atherogenesis in apoE KO mice...
- Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is present in postprandial chylomicronsBianca Fuhrman
The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences and Rambam Medical Center, Haifa 31096, Israel
Atherosclerosis 180:55-61. 2005..We conclude that postprandial chylomicrons contain PON1, which may function in the removal of atherogenic oxidized lipids...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of paraoxonases-1, 2, and 3 expression in normal mouse tissuesJudit Marsillach
Centre de Recerca Biomedica, Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan, Institut d Investigacions Sanitaries Pere Virgili, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Reus, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 45:146-57. 2008..This study provides an experimental model to investigate the role played by these enzymes as antioxidants and their relationship with the development of a variety of diseases...
- Paraoxonase gene variants are associated with autism in North America, but not in Italy: possible regional specificity in gene-environment interactionsM D'Amelio
Laboratory of Molecular Psychiatry and Neurogenetics, University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Mol Psychiatry 10:1006-16. 2005....
- Dominant role of paraoxonases in inactivation of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorum-sensing signal N-(3-oxododecanoyl)-L-homoserine lactoneJohn F Teiber
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Epidemiology, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 8874, USA
Infect Immun 76:2512-9. 2008..These findings suggest that PONs, particularly PON2, could be an important mechanism by which 3OC12-HSL is inactivated in mammals...
- Paraoxonase-1 promoter haplotypes and serum paraoxonase: a predominant role for polymorphic position - 107, implicating the Sp1 transcription factorSara Deakin
Clinical Diabetes Unit, Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Medical Faculty, University Hospital, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Biochem J 372:643-9. 2003..A potential role for the transcription factor Sp1 has been demonstrated, which is consistent with the disruption of an Sp1 recognition sequence by the -107 polymorphism...
- Assessment of serum paraoxonase and arylesterase activity in patients with endometrial cancerD T Arioz
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Afyonkarahisar Kocatepe University, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 30:679-82. 2009..The aim of this study was to compare the serum levels of paraoxonase and arylesterase activity in patients with endometrial cancer to those of healthy controls...
- Distribution spectrum of paraoxonase activity in HDL fractionsChristoph Bergmeier
Labor für angewandte Biochemie, Gustav Embden Zentrum für Biologische Chemie, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Clin Chem 50:2309-15. 2004..However, because HDL is not a homogeneous fraction, it is important to investigate in which subgroups of HDL active PON1 is located. It would also be useful to determine density profiles of the HDL apolipoproteins (Apo) E and J...
- Paraoxonase Gln-Arg(192) and Leu-Met(55) gene polymorphisms and enzyme activity in a population with a low rate of coronary heart diseaseNatalia Ferre
Centre de Recerca Biomedica, Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan, Reus, Spain
Clin Biochem 35:197-203. 2002..To assess whether paraoxonase (PON1) polymorphisms at positions 55 and 192 and/or their phenotypic expressions influence the risk of myocardial infarction (MI) in Spanish population...
- Effect of paraoxonase-1 polymorphism on clinical outcomes in patients treated with clopidogrel after an acute myocardial infarctionT Simon
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris APHP, Hopital St Antoine, URC EST, Paris, France
Clin Pharmacol Ther 90:561-7. 2011..87, 95% CI 2.52-18.72 and adjusted HR 3.06, 95% CI 1.47-6.41). Unlike CYP2C19 polymorphism, PON1 (Q192R) polymorphism is not a major pharmacogenetic contributor of clinical response to clopidogrel in AMI patients...
- Four genetic polymorphisms of paraoxonase gene and risk of coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis based on 88 case-control studiesMingsong Wang
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, 168 Changhai Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Atherosclerosis 214:377-85. 2011..Many studies have examined the association between polymorphisms in the PON gene and risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), but the results have been inconsistent...
- Serum paraoxonase levels in gastric cancerM N Akçay
Ataturk University Medical Faculty, Department of General Surgery, Erzurum, Turkey
Hepatogastroenterology 50:cclxxiii-cclxxv. 2003..So, we intended to measure serum PON, HDL, LDL and very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) levels and to investigate the relation of serum PON to plasma lipoproteins in the patients with gastric cancer...
- Chromogenic and fluorogenic assays for the lactonase activity of serum paraoxonasesOlga Khersonsky
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Chembiochem 7:49-53. 2006
- Paraoxonase 1 protects against protein N-homocysteinylation in humansJoanna Perla-Kajan
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, International Center for Public Health, 225 Warren St Newark, NJ 07101 1709, USA
FASEB J 24:931-6. 2010..Perła-Kaján, J., Jakubowski, H. Paraoxonase 1 protects against protein N-homocysteinylation in humans...
- Role of paraoxonase (PON1) status in pesticide sensitivity: genetic and temporal determinantsClement E Furlong
Genome Sciences and Medicine, Division of Medical Genetics, University of Washington, Box 357720, Seattle, WA 98195 7720, USA
Neurotoxicology 26:651-9. 2005..Our studies indicate that children less than 2 years old, especially those homozygous for PON1Q192, would be predicted to be particularly susceptible to CPO toxicity...
- Impaired high density lipoprotein antioxidant activity in healthy postmenopausal womenValeria Zago
Laboratory of Lipids and Lipoproteins, Departament of Clinical Biochemistry, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Junin 956 C1113AAD, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Atherosclerosis 177:203-10. 2004..In turn, this was related to triglyceride enrichment of HDL particles. All these alterations were independent from HDL cholesterol plasma levels...
- Markers of increased cardiovascular risk in postmenopausal women: focus on oxidized-LDL and HDL subpopulationsFilipa Mascarenhas-Melo
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, IBILI, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, 3000 548 Coimbra, Portugal
Dis Markers 35:85-96. 2013..To evaluate the effect of gender and menopause in cardiovascular risk (CVR) in a healthy population based on both classical and nontraditional markers...
- Proinflammatory cytokines but not acute phase serum amyloid A or C-reactive protein, downregulate paraoxonase 1 (PON1) expression by HepG2 cellsYoshitaka Kumon
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Japan
Amyloid 9:160-4. 2002..These findings suggested that the decrease in serum PON activity after abdominal surgery in our previous clinical study may be ascribed to a decrease in steady state PON1 mRNA expression by liver with proinflammatory cytokines...
- Paraoxonase 2 (PON2) expression is upregulated via a reduced-nicotinamide-adenine-dinucleotide-phosphate (NADPH)-oxidase-dependent mechanism during monocytes differentiation into macrophagesMaayan Shiner
Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences and Rambam Medical Center, Haifa 31096, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 37:2052-63. 2004..PON2 stimulation may represent a compensatory mechanism against the increase in cellular superoxide anion production and atherogenesis...
- Protective effect of soy isoflavones and activity levels of plasma paraoxonase and arylesterase in the experimental nonalcoholic steatohepatitis modelBilal Ustundag
Department of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Firat Euphrates University, Elazig, Turkey
Dig Dis Sci 52:2006-14. 2007..They stimulate and increase the activity of the antioxidative paraoxanase enyzme while decreasing the total cholesterol and triglyceride levels...
- Human paraoxonase-1 activity in childhood obesity and its relation to leptin and adiponectin levelsPeter Koncsos
First Department of Medicine, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Pediatr Res 67:309-13. 2010..Altered levels of leptin, adiponectin and PON1 activities may be useful markers beside the general risk factors in childhood obesity...
- Effect of exposure to organochlorine compounds on the development of obesity andGEORGE E HOWELL; Fiscal Year: 2011..This research will determine if exposure to these compounds is a risk factor for development of T2D and if so will provide mechanisms through which these compounds precipitate this disease. ..
- RISK FACTORS FOR CVD IN WOMENJOANN ELISABETH MANSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..These promising biochemical and genetic markers may have implications for improving prevention strategies, enhancing treatment options, and generating additional testable hypotheses for heart disease research. ..
- Air pollution and the brain: gender as an important determinant of susceptibilityLucio G Costa; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Novel mechanisms by which aspirin might protect against atherosclerosisSampath Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this application, we propose that the actions of aspirin might be mediated by salicylate. We also explore the mechanisms by which PON 1 could be induced by aspirin. ..
- Regulation of PTH-induced Osteoanabolism by Inflammatory LipidsYin Tintut; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Multicenter ALS Cohort Study of Oxidative Stress and Disease ProgressionHiroshi Mitsumoto; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Biophysics of HDL DysfunctionMary G Sorci-Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..Development of these novel assays will make it possible, for the first time, to perform large clinical studies to fully test the idea that dysfunctional HDL is better indicator of atherosclerotic risk. ..
- The Rosetta Enzyme ReDesign: Targeting PON1 as OP ScavengerJennifer M Bui; Fiscal Year: 2012..This proposal thus has direct relevance impact in environmental protections and biotechnologies. ..
- Pesticides, Paraoxonase and Alzheimer's DiseaseMark S Kindy; Fiscal Year: 2010..The focus of this proposal is to understand the function of organophosphates (OPs as symbolic ETs) and interrelationship between ETs and paraoxonase (PON- 1) in oxidative stress and inflammation associated with AD. ..
- Pc4 PDT for PsoriasisElma D Baron; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our findings may identify the first direct link between psoriasis, inflammation and cardiovascular risk. ..
- Center of Catalytic Bioscanvenger Medical Defense Research II: Discovery, FormulaDan S Tawfik; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this regard, we will examine the potential of co-administration of conventional therapy with enzymes to protect against GB;synergy may provide unexpectedly high levels of protection against GB. ..
- Relationship of Blood Esterases, Pesticide Exposure and Cardiovascular DiseaseJanice Chambers; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, we anticipate that we will develop more simplified assay methods for PON1 and CaE that will be more amenable for use as a clinical biomarker. ..
- Role of High Density Lipoprotein Particles in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisTeepu Siddique; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results from this work will open paths to therapies that seek to rescue potential dysfunctional HDL states found not only in neurodegenerative disease such as ALS but also in more common cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. ..
- Moving Beyond HDL Cholesterol, HDL Function as a Coronary Disease BiomarkerANAND KUMAR ROHATGI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Helen Hobbs, the Center for Nutrition led by Dr. Scott Grundy, and the Department of Clinical Sciences led by Dr. Milton Packer. ..
- Paraoxonase-2 S311C Polymorphism Alters Glycosylation and Lactonase ActivityDavid A Stoltz; Fiscal Year: 2011..Findings from the proposed project will hopefully uncover new therapeutic options for P. aeruginosa infections. ..
- LIPID PEROXIDATION IN COLORECTAL CANCERManuela Gago Dominguez; Fiscal Year: 2009..4. To conduct a case-case association study to determine if morphological markers of apoptosis in tumor and surrounding free tissue differ among cases with varying exposure levels of a given putative environmental/genetic risk factor. ..
- Neurological Outcomes Among Pesticide ApplicatorsFredric Gerr; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Exploring Gene-Environment Factors in Child Brain TumorsBeth Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ACTION OF ALCOHOL & QUERCETIN ON ANTI-ATHEROGENIC FACTORS & ATHEROGENESISRaj Lakshman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Therefore, this mechanistic and clinically releyent study on the actions of alcohol/quercetin has the potential to effectively protect against cardiovascular diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Enzyme Activity Enhancement in Functionalized Nanoporous SupportChenghong Lei; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- PRESERVATION OF HDL FUNCTION DURING EARLY ATHEROGENESISJOHN BIELICKI; Fiscal Year: 2002..Moreover, the research will uncover novel mechanisms for preserving HDL/LCAT function that can be utilized therapeutically to fight the onset of cardiovascular disease. ..
- DIET, ENDOTHELIAL FUNCTION AND PEDIATRIC HYPERLIPIDEMIAMarguerite Engler; Fiscal Year: 2004..Preventive nursing strategies aimed at early detection of endothelial dysfunction and dietary modification may restore endothelial function in children and adolescents at high risk for CHD. ..
- PON1 and Developmental Sensitivity to OP PesticidesNina T Holland; Fiscal Year: 2010..These data will support planning for the National Children's Study, identify subpopulations susceptible to chemical warfare agents, and inform policy decisions for implementation of the Food Quality Protection Act. ..
- Genetics of Oxidative Stress in Ventricular RemodelingVasan Ramachandran; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF LIPOPROTEIN/LIPID LEVELSM Kamboh; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- INTIMAL THICKENING & ANTITOXIDANTS IN HISPANICS & ANGLOSJames Dwyer; Fiscal Year: 2003..These additional measures, together with those in the original protocol, will allow investigation of relations between longitudinal change in Ath and dietary antioxidants, antioxidant enzymes, and genetic polymorphisms. ..
- Targeted Paraoxonase Fusion Protein as a Neurotherapeutic for Nerve Gas AgentsRUBEN BOADO; Fiscal Year: 2009..The present work will genetically engineer a novel OP hydrolase fusion protein that is able to cross the BBB in humans by receptor-mediated transport. ..
- Lipid Regulation of Vascular and Bone OsteoclastogenesisLinda Demer; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- OXIDATION RISK FACTORS AND IMT PROGESSION IN FHPaul Hopkins; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our major hypothesis is that IMT progression will be strongly related to the balance of pro-oxidant and antioxidant factors. The newly added imaging techniques will allow us to compare and contrast results using these endpoints as well. ..
- Genetic & Structure-Function Studies: Paraoxonase In SLEM Kamboh; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will systematically screen the three PON genes for new mutations (Aim 1) and, in conjunction with known PON potymorphisms, we will evaluate their genetic and functional significances (Aims 2-4). ..
- MODERATE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION AND HDLWILLEM DEVILLIERS; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will be done by measuring the bioactivity of paraoxonase and determining the ability of HDL from human subjects exposed to alcohol to protect against macrophage-mediated LDL. ..
- GENETICS OF ATHEROSCLEROSIS--ROLE OF INSULIN RESISTANCEWilla Hsueh; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Atherogenic Effects of Ambient PM In Susceptible AnimalsAndre Nel; Fiscal Year: 2007..These mice will be exposed to CAPs as discussed in Aims 1 and 2, and select endpoints used to demonstrate the effect on atherosclerotic inflammation and apoptosis. ..
- Innate Immunity and Bacterial Quorum SensingHattie Gresham; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the contribution of these innate effectors to quorum quenching and how pathogens avoid it could augment drug design that targets virulence pheromones for inactivation. ..
- Prediction and Progression of Carotid Artery DiseaseGAIL JARVIK; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 3: Pathway evaluation of oxidative loci and phenotypes in prediction of CAAD. ..
- Inflammatory Genomics in Human Carotid Artery DiseaseGAIL JARVIK; Fiscal Year: 2006..Genes that are implicated in disease may eventually allow targeted therapy. ..
- Maternal overnutrition and offspring fat mass, metabolic and vascular function.Debbie Lawlor; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROTOXICITY OF OP INSECTICIDESJanice Chambers; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Pesticide Toxicity to the Nervous and Endocrine SystemsJanice Chambers; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Metabolism and Age-Related Organophosphate ToxicityJanice Chambers; Fiscal Year: 2005..These results will indicate the contribution of detoxication to toxicity level, and will allow more accurate predictions of age-related differences in toxicity. ..
- Identifying targets for diagnosing oral candidiasisDavid Schofield; Fiscal Year: 2005..Since Candida species are the most important fungal pathogen of the oral cavity, the rapid and accurate diagnosis of oral candidiasis using novel disease biomarkers will significantly improve oral health. ..
- Folate Polymorphisms, Dietary Folate and Prostate CancerVictoria Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study are expected to indicate the importance of folate for prostate cancer and whether changing folate consumption can modify the risk associated with genetic variants in the pathway for folate metabolism. ..
- Siblings With Ischemic Stroke Study (SWISS)JAMES MESCHIA; Fiscal Year: 2009..DNA banking and the creation of permanent lymphoblastoid cell lines will be done to permit future collaborative efforts to study the genetic basis for stroke risk. ..
- INNOVATIVE BIOMONITORING FOR LEAD IN SALIVACharles Timchalk; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is reasonable to speculate that once this model system has been adequately validated it can readily be employed to screen sensitive populations (e.g. children) that are at greatest risk from chronic Pb exposure. ..
- ISGS: The Ischemic Stroke Genetics StudyJAMES MESCHIA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The application and SWISS share the same definitions for the present and absence of phenotype and key enrollment criteria. ..
- Mixture Modeling: Pesticide Drug InteractionsCharles Timchalk; Fiscal Year: 2009..It is fully anticipated that this approach will facilitate the understanding of a variety of complex chemical interactions as it relates to the occupational health implications of working with insecticides. ..
- Development of Selective Nanoporous Sorbents for Radionuclide DecorporationCharles Timchalk; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Inflammatory Mechanisms of AtherosclerosisPeter Libby; Fiscal Year: 2006..5. We will explore a putative functional role of a novel prostaglandin E2 receptor EP4 interacting protein (EPRAP) in endogenous anti-inflammatory pathways. ..
- Coenzyme Q10 in Aging: A Planning GrantBeatrice Golomb; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus there is strong conceptual as well as clinical rationale for assessing whether Q10 provides QOL & functional benefits in aging and whether it protects against untoward events associated with age. ..
- Apolipoprotein-mediated cholesterol effluxW Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2008..This understanding will form a basis for new interventions designed to enhance apolipoprotein-mediated cholesterol efflux from cells, particularly those within the atherosclerotic vessel wall. ..
- BIOLOGY OF PROTEOLYTIC DERIVATIVES OF LP(A)ANGELO SCANU; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of the proposed studies should shed light on whether ox-PL adducts play a role in the cardiovascular pathogenicity of Lp(a). ..
- Retrograde Dystrophic Influence of IFN-gamma on NeuronsPamela Lein; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Light & Heavy Alcohol, Paraoxonase & Oxidized LDL StatusRaj Lakshman; Fiscal Year: 2008..These investigations are likely to lead to new insights in our understanding of the cardioprotective effects of ligh drinking and proatherogenic effects of heavy drinking both at clinical and at molecular levels. ..
- Haplotyping for Environmental GenomicsJames Wetmur; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- INTERACTIONS OF LP(A) WITH VASCULAR EXTRACELLULAR MATRIXANGELO SCANU; Fiscal Year: 2002..Underlying these studies is the hypothesis, that the MMP-mediated changes in Lp(a)/apo(a) are favored by the inflammatory milieu of the human atheroma. ..
- Extracellular matrix in chloracetanilide carcinogenesisMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF ACTIONS OF ALCOHOL AND OMEGA 3-FATTY ACIDSRaj Lakshman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- CONFERENCE ON ARTERIOSCLEROSIS AND VASCULAR BIOLOGYTrudy Forte; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- fMRI Assessment of Organophosphate NeurotoxicitySteven Bird; Fiscal Year: 2008..Bird with the facilities, equipment and expertise necessary to achieve the goals set forth in this proposal. ..
- ApoA-I Helical Domains and Cardiovascular AgingJOHN BIELICKI; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies are relevant for devising novel strategies to combat cardiovascular aging. ..
- PATHOBIOLOGY OF MACROVASCULAR DISEASE IN DIABETESAlan Chait; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Alcohol-Metabolizing Gene Variation, Lipids, Hemostatic Factors and CVDKelly Volcik; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Use of an Organophosphorus (OP) Hydrolase for Acute OP PoisoningSteven Bird; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our central hypothesis is that OpdA is safe and improves survival after poisoning with parathion. ..
- The roles of apolipoprotein A-IV structure and lipid affinity in its functionW Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Heavy Drinking & Coronary Disease: Acute/Chronic EffectsKenneth Mukamal; Fiscal Year: 2006..These results may prove to have important biological, clinical, and public health implications for the care of CHD. ..
- Multi-ethnic Genome-wide Alzheimer association studyLindsay A Farrer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Oxidation Hypothesis--Paradoxes and PitfallsSampath Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2006..Exercise is also recommended for other diseases such as diabetes and hypertension, diseases in which oxidative stress is also implicated. Thus the outcome of this study will have far reaching implications. ..
- PBDEs, DDT and Neurodevelopment in School-Aged Mexican-American ChildrenBrenda Eskenazi; Fiscal Year: 2010....