- Mechanism and control of meiotic recombination initiation
Molecular Biology Program, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, and Weill Graduate School of Medical Sciences of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Curr Top Dev Biol 52:1-53. 2001
- Chromosome synapsis defects and sexually dimorphic meiotic progression in mice lacking Spo11
Cell Biology Program Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center New York, NY 10021, USA
Mol Cell 6:989-98. 2000
..Our results also support the view that mammalian checkpoint responses to meiotic recombination and/or synapsis defects are sexually dimorphic...
- SPO11 is required for sex-body formation, and Spo11 heterozygosity rescues the prophase arrest of Atm-/- spermatocytes
Marina A Bellani
Genetics and Biochemistry Branch, NIDDK, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Cell Sci 118:3233-45. 2005
- The effect of piperonyl butoxide on pyrethroid-resistance-associated esterases in Helicoverpa armigera (Hübner) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)
Susan J Young
Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ, UK
Pest Manag Sci 61:397-401. 2005
..Biochemical studies have shown that pyrethroid-resistance-associated esterases in H armigera are inhibited by the insecticide synergist piperonyl butoxide (PBO)...
- Synaptonemal complex assembly in C. elegans is dispensable for loading strand-exchange proteins but critical for proper completion of recombination
MONICA P COLAIACOVO
Department of Developmental Biology, Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Dev Cell 5:463-74. 2003
..Our data also suggest that early prophase barriers to utilization of sister chromatids as repair templates do not depend on central region assembly...
- Microbial carbohydrate esterases deacetylating plant polysaccharides
Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 845 38 Bratislava, Slovakia
Biotechnol Adv 30:1575-88. 2012
..The acetyl groups became targets of microbial carbohydrate esterases that evolved to overcome the complexity of the plant cell walls and that cooperate with glycoside hydrolases in ..
- A single amino acid substitution converts a carboxylesterase to an organophosphorus hydrolase and confers insecticide resistance on a blowfly
R D Newcomb
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Division of Entomology, G P O Box 1700, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:7464-8. 1997
..Modeling of Asp137 in the homologous position in acetylcholinesterase suggests that Asp137 may act as a base to orientate a water molecule in the appropriate position for hydrolysis of the phosphorylated enzyme intermediate...
- Identification of two novel esterases from a marine metagenomic library derived from South China Sea
Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at Microscale and School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui, 230027, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 80:615-25. 2008
..were isolated from a marine microbial metagenomic library by functional screening, and the corresponding esterases EstA and EstB were biochemically characterized...
- The same amino acid substitution in orthologous esterases confers organophosphate resistance on the house fly and a blowfly
Division of Entomology, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Canberra, Australia
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 29:675-86. 1999
..The data indicate identical catalytic mechanisms have evolved in orthologous Md alpha E7 and Lc alpha E7 molecules to endow diazinon-type resistance on the two species of higher Diptera...
- Recombinational DNA double-strand breaks in mice precede synapsis
S K Mahadevaiah
Division of Developmental Genetics, National Institute for Medical Research, London, UK
Nat Genet 27:271-6. 2001
..Loss of gamma-H2AX staining (which in irradiated somatic cells is temporally linked with DSB repair) is temporally and spatially correlated with synapsis, even when this synapsis is 'non-homologous'...
- A thermostable esterase from Thermoanaerobacter tengcongensis opening up a new family of bacterial lipolytic enzymes
Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Biochim Biophys Acta 1814:1695-702. 2011
..Based on the enzymatic properties and sequence alignment we concluded that the esterase EstA3 represented a novel bacterial lipolytic enzyme group and in chronological order this group was assigned as Family XIV...
- Identification and characterization of novel esterases from a deep-sea sediment metagenome
College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Arch Microbiol 194:207-14. 2012
..The characterization of Est6 revealed that it was a cold-active esterase and exhibited the highest activity toward p-nitrophenyl butyrate (C4) at 20°C and pH 7.5...
- Overexpressed esterases in a fenvalerate resistant strain of the cotton bollworm, Helicoverpa armigera
Department of Entomology, College of Plant Protection, Nanjing Agricultural University, Key Laboratory of Monitoring and Management of Crop Diseases and Pest Insects Ministry of Agriculture, Nanjing 210095, China
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 41:14-21. 2011
..with four putative carboxylesterase genes, all of which clustered within a phylogenetic clade of secreted midgut esterases. Quantitative PCR on these four genes showed several-fold greater expression in tissues of YGF compared to SCD ..
- Self-interaction, nucleic acid binding, and nucleic acid chaperone activities are unexpectedly retained in the unique ORF1p of zebrafish LINE
Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Midori ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 32:458-69. 2012
..From this discovery, we propose that LINE ORF1ps play a general role in LINE integration by forming a complex with LINE RNA and rearranging its conformation...
- Distinction between esterases and lipases: a kinetic study with vinyl esters and TAG
Laboratoire de Lipolyse Enzymatique, CNRS, Marseille, France
Lipids 37:653-62. 2002
..carboxyl ester bonds (carboxyl ester hydrolases), we have compared the kinetic behavior of various lipases and esterases against solutions and emulsions of vinyl esters and TAG...
- Identification of genes encoding microbial glucuronoyl esterases
Xin Liang Li
National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, USDA ARS, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
FEBS Lett 581:4029-35. 2007
..jecorina. The product of the cip2 gene was purified to homogeneity and shown to exhibit glucuronoyl esterase activity...
- The esterase and PHD domains in CR1-like non-LTR retrotransposons
Vladimir V Kapitonov
Genetic Information Research Institute, Mountain View, California, USA
Mol Biol Evol 20:38-46. 2003
..Unexpectedly, ES links together non-LTR retrotransposons and single-stranded RNA viruses like influenza C and coronaviruses, which are known to depend on their own ES...
- Carbohydrate-active enzymes from the zygomycete fungus Rhizopus oryzae: a highly specialized approach to carbohydrate degradation depicted at genome level
Microbiology and Kluyver Centre for Genomics of Industrial Fermentation, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 12:38. 2011
..Rhizopus oryzae is a zygomycete filamentous fungus, well-known as a saprobe ubiquitous in soil and as a pathogenic/spoilage fungus, causing Rhizopus rot and mucomycoses...
- Molecular and biochemical characterization of a sand fly population from Sri Lanka: evidence for insecticide resistance due to altered esterases and insensitive acetylcholinesterase
S N Surendran
Department of Zoology, University of Jaffna, Jaffna, Sri Lanka
Bull Entomol Res 95:371-80. 2005
..There was preliminary evidence for elevated esterases and altered acetylcholinesterase in this population, the first report of these resistance mechanisms in sand ..
- Synapsis-dependent and -independent mechanisms stabilize homolog pairing during meiotic prophase in C. elegans
Amy J MacQueen
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5329, USA
Genes Dev 16:2428-42. 2002
- Multiple biochemical and morphological factors underlie the production of methylketones in tomato trichomes
Robert H Smith Institute of Plant Sciences and Genetics in Agriculture, Faculty of Agriculture, Food, and Environment, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Plant Physiol 151:1952-64. 2009
..Furthermore, heterologous expression of MKS2 in Escherichia coli resulted in the production of methylketones in this host...
- Endonucleolytic processing of covalent protein-linked DNA double-strand breaks
Matthew J Neale
Molecular Biology Programs, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nature 436:1053-7. 2005
..Our findings suggest a general mechanism for repair of protein-linked DSBs...
- Multiple insecticide resistance mechanisms involving metabolic changes and insensitive target sites selected in anopheline vectors of malaria in Sri Lanka
M Devika B Perera
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Malar J 7:168. 2008
- cDNA cloning, tissue distribution, and identification of the catalytic triad of monoglyceride lipase. Evolutionary relationship to esterases, lysophospholipases, and haloperoxidases
Section for Molecular Signalling, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Lund University, P O Box 94, S 221 00 Lund, Sweden
J Biol Chem 272:27218-23. 1997
..Northern blot analysis revealed that monoglyceride lipase is ubiquitously expressed among tissues, with a transcript size of about 4 kilobases...
- Structural and biochemical studies identify tobacco SABP2 as a methyl salicylate esterase and implicate it in plant innate immunity
Department of Biological Sciences, Northeast Structural Genomics Consortium, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:1773-8. 2005
..Our results suggest that SABP2 may be required to convert MeSA to SA as part of the signal transduction pathways that activate systemic acquired resistance and perhaps local defense responses as well...
- Pseudo-enzymatic hydrolysis of 4-nitrophenyl acetate by human serum albumin: pH-dependence of rates of individual steps
Interdepartmental Laboratory of Electron Microscopy, University Roma Tre, Via della Vasca Navale 79, I 00146 Roma, Italy
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 424:451-5. 2012
..0 ± 0.1 in the substrate-free HSA to 8.1 ± 0.1 in the HSA:NphOAc complex. Accordingly, diazepam inhibits competitively the HSA-catalyzed hydrolysis of NphOAc by binding to Tyr411...
- Current progress on esterases: from molecular structure to function
Biomedical Research Institute, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
Drug Metab Dispos 30:488-93. 2002
..This article covers mechanisms of regulation of gene expression of the various esterases by developmental factors and xenobiotics, as well as the interplay between physiological and chemical regulation ..
- The classification of esterases: an important gene family involved in insecticide resistance--a review
Isabela Reis Montella
Laboratório de Fisiologia e Controle de Artrópodes Vetores, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 107:437-49. 2012
..Historically, insecticide resistance has driven research on insect esterases and schemes for their classification...
- Heterologous expression and biochemical characterisation of fourteen esterases from Helicoverpa armigera
Mark G Teese
CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences, Canberra, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e65951. 2013
b>Esterases have recurrently been implicated in insecticide resistance in Helicoverpa armigera but little is known about the underlying molecular mechanisms...
- Cloning, recombinant expression and biochemical characterisation of novel esterases from Bacillus sp. associated with the marine sponge Aplysina aerophoba
Institut für Technische Biochemie, Universitat Stuttgart, Allmandring 31, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 67:59-69. 2005
Two novel esterases (EstB1 and EstB2) were isolated from a genomic library of Bacillus sp. associated with the marine sponge Aplysina aerophoba...
- Identification of human cytochrome P450 isoforms and esterases involved in the metabolism of mirabegron, a potent and selective β3-adrenoceptor agonist
Drug Metabolism Research Laboratories, Astellas Pharma Inc, Osaka, Japan
Xenobiotica 42:957-67. 2012
1. Human cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes and esterases involved in the metabolism of mirabegron, a potent and selective human β(3)-adrenoceptor agonist intended for the treatment of overactive bladder, were identified in in vitro studies...
- Esterase-mediated resistance to pyrethroids in field populations of Helicoverpa armigera (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) from Central Africa
IRAD, PRASAC ARDESAC, Cotton Programme, Garoua, Cameroon
Pest Manag Sci 65:1147-54. 2009
..Dose-response bioassays were conducted on area-wide collection of bollworm populations from major host plants, while biochemical techniques were used to evaluate basic mechanisms underlying resistance...
- Identification of a new subfamily of salt-tolerant esterases from a metagenomic library of tidal flat sediment
Jeong Ho Jeon
Marine Biotechnology Research Center, Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute, P O Box 29, Ansan, 425 600, South Korea
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 93:623-31. 2012
..In this study, we demonstrated that the metagenomic approach using marine tidal flat sediment as a DNA source expanded the diversity of lipolytic enzyme-encoding genes...
- Biochemical characterization and relative expression levels of multiple carbohydrate esterases of the xylanolytic rumen bacterium Prevotella ruminicola 23 grown on an ester-enriched substrate
Mirjam A Kabel
Royal Nedalco, Bergen op Zoom, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:5671-81. 2011
We measured expression and used biochemical characterization of multiple carbohydrate esterases by the xylanolytic rumen bacterium Prevotella ruminicola 23 grown on an ester-enriched substrate to gain insight into the carbohydrate ..
- Catalytic promiscuity in the alpha/beta-hydrolase superfamily: hydroxamic acid formation, C--C bond formation, ester and thioester hydrolysis in the C--C hydrolase family
Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Chembiochem 9:71-6. 2008
..family of alpha/beta-hydrolases contains enzymes of several different catalytic activities, including esterases, C--C hydrolases and cofactor-independent haloperoxidases (perhydrolases), but the molecular basis of this ..
- Isolation and characterization of cold-active family VIII esterases from an arctic soil metagenome
Eun Young Yu
Chemical Biotechnology Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, P O Box 107, Sinseongno 19, Yuseong, Daejeon 305 600, South Korea
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 90:573-81. 2011
Functional screening for lipolytic enzymes at low temperatures resulted in the isolation of the novel cold-active esterases, EstM-N1 and EstM-N2, from a metagenomic DNA library of arctic soil samples...
- Screening and its potential application of lipolytic activity from a marine environment: characterization of a novel esterase from Yarrowia lipolytica CL180
Jun Tae Kim
Marine Biotechnology Center, Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute, Ansan, South Korea
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 74:820-8. 2007
..This study represents a novel esterase of type B1 carboxylesterase/lipase family from a marine isolate, showing a potential usage as a biocatalyst because of enantioselectivity toward racemic ofloxacin ester...
- Novel lipolytic genes from the microbial metagenomic library of the South China Sea marine sediment
Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 72:228-37. 2010
..Furthermore, the whole sequence of fosmid pFL18 containing FLS18C and FLS18D was shotgun sequenced, and a total of 26 ORFs on it were analyzed and annotated...
- Growth-phase-dependent expression of the lipolytic system of Acinetobacter calcoaceticus BD413: cloning of a gene encoding one of the esterases
R G Kok
Department of Microbiology, E C Slater Institute, BioCentrum Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Gen Microbiol 139:2329-42. 1993
..0 kDa. The amino acid sequence of this protein shows homology to a number of lipolytic enzymes, most notably to esterases. Deletion of estA only partially abolished cell-bound esterase activity in A...
- The lipid droplet enzyme Tgl1p hydrolyzes both steryl esters and triglycerides in the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, SFB Biomembrane Research Center, University of Graz, Schubertstr 1, A8010 Graz, Austria
Biochim Biophys Acta 1735:50-8. 2005
..cerevisiae. In a tgl1 deletion mutant, the mobilization of steryl esters in vivo was delayed, but not abolished, suggesting the existence of additional enzymes involved in steryl ester mobilization...
- Identification of residues in yeast Spo11p critical for meiotic DNA double-strand break formation
Robert L Diaz
Molecular Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:1106-15. 2002
..These results are consistent with a multimeric structure for Spo11p in vivo but may also indicate that the amount of Spo11 protein is not a limiting factor for DSB formation in normal cells...
- Enzymes from extremophiles
D C Demirjian
ThermoGen, Inc, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 5:144-51. 2001
..This has also led to a greater understanding of stability factors involved in adaptation of these enzymes to their unusual environments...
- C. elegans HIM-17 links chromatin modification and competence for initiation of meiotic recombination
Kirthi C Reddy
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Cell 118:439-52. 2004
..Furthermore, DSB levels and incidence of chiasmata can be modulated by loss of LIN-35/Rb. These and other data suggest that chromatin state governs the timing of DSB competence...
- Paraoxonase active site required for protection against LDL oxidation involves its free sulfhydryl group and is different from that required for its arylesterase/paraoxonase activities: selective action of human paraoxonase allozymes Q and R
Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences and Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 18:1617-24. 1998
- Plasma esterases and inflammation in ageing and frailty
Ruth E Hubbard
Department of Geriatric Medicine, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, 3rd Floor, Academic Centre, Llandough Hospital, Penarth, UK
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 64:895-900. 2008
b>Esterases are enzymes of drug metabolism known to be reduced in frail older people and during acute illness. The mechanism for this is unknown. The aim of this study was to examine esterase activity and inflammation in ageing and frailty.
- Structural reorganization and preorganization in enzyme active sites: comparisons of experimental and theoretically ideal active site geometries in the multistep serine esterase reaction cycle
Adam J T Smith
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:15361-73. 2008
..The results provide a useful guiding principle for de novo design of enzymes with multistep mechanisms...
- Molecular mechanisms of metabolic resistance to synthetic and natural xenobiotics
Department of Entomology and BIO5, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Annu Rev Entomol 52:231-53. 2007
..e., cytochrome P450 monooxygenases (P450s), esterases, and glutathione-S-transferases (GSTs), are the focus of this review...
- Identification of a novel alkaliphilic esterase active at low temperatures by screening a metagenomic library from antarctic desert soil
Department of Biotechnology, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:4657-9. 2009
..The enzyme was active over a temperature range of 7 to 54 degrees C and at alkaline pH levels and is a potential candidate for industrial application...
- A survey of mutations in the Cochliomyia hominivorax (Diptera: Calliphoridae) esterase E3 gene associated with organophosphate resistance and the molecular identification of mutant alleles
Renato Assis de Carvalho
Laboratório de Genética Animal, Centro de Biologia Molecular e Engenharia Genética CBMEG, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, 13083 875 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 140:344-51. 2006
..Further bioassays to determine the association of this mutation with OP resistance in C. hominivorax should allow the development of more effective strategies for managing this species...
- A family of serine esterases in lytic granules of cytolytic T lymphocytes
Cell 49:679-85. 1987
..CTLs) contain, in addition to the pore-forming protein perforin, a family of highly homologous serine esterases, granzymes A-H...
- Sex increases the efficacy of natural selection in experimental yeast populations
Matthew R Goddard
NERC Centre for Population Biology and Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, Silwood Park Campus, Ascot SL5 7PY, UK
Nature 434:636-40. 2005
..We show that, as predicted by the theory, sex increases the rate of adaptation to a new harsh environment but has no measurable effect on fitness in a new benign environment where there is little selection...
- Ectopic expression of an esterase, which is a candidate for the unidentified plant cutinase, causes cuticular defects in Arabidopsis thaliana
Department of Botany, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 51:123-31. 2010
..Our findings suggest that CDEF1 is a candidate gene for the unidentified plant cutinase...
- A new esterase EstD2 isolated from plant rhizosphere soil metagenome
Myung Hwan Lee
Department of Applied Biology, Dong A University, Busan, Republic of Korea
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 88:1125-34. 2010
..Our results suggest that the other hypothetical protein homologs of EstD2 might also be members of this novel family...
- GDSL family of serine esterases/lipases
Casimir C Akoh
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 7610, USA
Prog Lipid Res 43:534-52. 2004
GDSL esterases and lipases are hydrolytic enzymes with multifunctional properties such as broad substrate specificity and regiospecificity...
- Cold-active esterase from Psychrobacter sp. Ant300: gene cloning, characterization, and the effects of Gly-->Pro substitution near the active site on its catalytic activity and stability
Laboratory of Microbial Biochemistry, Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto fu, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1696:59-65. 2004
- Relationship between age and plasma esterases
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Academic Centre, Llandough Hospital, Penarth, UK
Age Ageing 30:41-5. 2001
..RESULTS: we found no correlation between the activities of any of the enzymes measured and advancing age. CONCLUSION: age per se is not associated with reductions in the activities of esterase enzymes...
- Paraoxonase 192 Gln-->Arg polymorphism: an independent risk factor for nonfatal arterial ischemic stroke among young adults
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02118, USA
Stroke 33:1459-64. 2002
..The association of these polymorphisms with the risk of AIS remains controversial...
- High-resolution structure of ybfF from Escherichia coli K12: a unique substrate-binding crevice generated by domain arrangement
Suk Youl Park
Department of Chemistry and Institute of Basic Sciences, Chonnam National University, 300 Yongbong Dong, Buk Gu, Gwangju 500 757, Korea
J Mol Biol 376:1426-37. 2008
b>Esterases are one of the most common enzymes and are involved in diverse cellular functions...
- Functional expression and refolding of new alkaline esterase, EM2L8 from deep-sea sediment metagenome
Hyo Jung Park
Division of Biotechnology, The Catholic University of Korea, 43 1 Yokkok 2 dong, Wonmi gu, Bucheon, Gyeonggido 420 743, South Korea
Protein Expr Purif 52:340-7. 2007
..Moreover, it was found to have an optimum pH of 10-11, thus revealing that it is an alkaline enzyme. In this paper, the new esterase EM2L8 buried in a deep-sea sediment became known on the surface and was characterized biochemically...
- Cloning, expression and characterization of a halotolerant esterase from a marine bacterium Pelagibacterium halotolerans B2T
College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, 866 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou, 310058, Zhejiang, China
Extremophiles 16:427-35. 2012
..With this halotolerance property, PE10 could be a candidate for industrial use...
- High-throughput assays for lipases and esterases
Institute of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Department of Technical Chemistry and Biotechnology, Greifswald University, Soldmannstr 16, D 17487 Greifswald, Germany
Biomol Eng 22:51-6. 2005
..a considerable number of high-throughput screening (HTS) systems have been developed, especially for lipases and esterases. In this review, a range of HTS methods for the directed evolution of these hydrolases are covered...
- NTE and non-NTE esterases in brain membrane: kinetic characterization with organophosphates
Unidad de Toxicología, Instituto de Bioingenieria, Universidad Miguel Hernandez de Elche, Avda Universidad s n ES 03202, Elche, Alicante, Spain
Toxicology 297:17-25. 2012
..inhibition") of two model compounds: paraoxon (non-neuropathy-inducer) and mipafox (neuropathy-inducer), with esterases of chicken brain membranes, an animal model, tissue and fractions, where neuropathy target esterase (NTE) was ..
- The Serratia marcescens bioH gene encodes an esterase
Discovery Research Laboratory, Tanabe Seiyaku Co, Ltd, Kawagishi 2 chome, Toda, 335 8505, Saitama, Japan
Gene 302:185-92. 2003
..which belongs to the alpha/beta hydrolase-fold family comprising a wide variety of hydrolases including esterases. A catalytic triad composed of a nucleophilic residue (Ser80), an acidic residue (Asp206), and histidine (His234)..
- Multiple mutations and gene duplications conferring organophosphorus insecticide resistance have been selected at the Rop-1 locus of the sheep blowfly, Lucilia cuprina
Richard D Newcomb
Gene Technologies Sector, The Horticulture and Food Research Institute of New Zealand, Private Bag 92169 Auckland, New Zealand
J Mol Evol 60:207-20. 2005
..Four new sequence haplotypes, not sampled in the survey of extant haplotypes, were obtained that are all associated with susceptibility. This is suggestive of a higher historical level of susceptible allelic diversity at this locus...
- A new family of carbohydrate esterases is represented by a GDSL hydrolase/acetylxylan esterase from Geobacillus stearothermophilus
Department of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
J Biol Chem 286:41993-2001. 2011
Acetylxylan esterases hydrolyze the ester linkages of acetyl groups at positions 2 and/or 3 of the xylose moieties in xylan and play an important role in enhancing the accessibility of xylanases to the xylan backbone...
- Cloning and biochemical characterization of a novel carbendazim (methyl-1H-benzimidazol-2-ylcarbamate)-hydrolyzing esterase from the newly isolated Nocardioides sp. strain SG-4G and its potential for use in enzymatic bioremediation
CSIRO Entomology, Clunies Ross St, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:2940-5. 2010
..1 muM and 170 min(-1), respectively, for MBC. Radiation-killed, freeze-dried SG-4G cells showed strong and stable MBC detoxification activity suitable for use in enzymatic bioremediation applications...
- Limited utility of acetoxymethyl (AM)-based intracellular delivery systems, in vivo: interference by extracellular esterases
Paul D Jobsis
Laboratory of Cardiac Energetics, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Microsc 226:74-81. 2007
..We tested the hypothesis that extracellular esterases rapidly cleave the acetoxymethyl groups preventing the probes from entering cells, in vivo...
- Bivalve esterases as biomarker: identification and characterization in European cockles (Cerastoderma edule)
Laboratory of Marine Ecotoxicology, Instituto de Ciências do Mar LABOMAR, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Fortaleza, Ceara, 60165 081, Brazil
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 88:707-11. 2012
..edule tissues using different substrates and specific inhibitors and identified the tissue distribution of esterases in this species...
- Histochemical determination of stereoselectivity of esterases in normal pancreas and pancreatic tubular adenocarcinoma of hamsters
National Institute of Bioscience and Human Technology, Agency of Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Biotech Histochem 73:23-31. 1998
b>Esterases in normal hamster pancreas and pancreatic tubular adenocarcinoma of ductal origin induced by N-nitrosobis(2-oxopropyl)amine were stained in cryostat sections with mixtures of a diazonium salt (fast blue RR) and with each of the ..
- The role of esterases in the metabolism of ciclesonide to desisobutyryl-ciclesonide in human tissue
Toxicology Unit, Clinical and Laboratory Sciences, The University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Biochem Pharmacol 73:1657-64. 2007
Ciclesonide (CIC) is an inhaled glucocorticosteroid. This study aimed to identify esterases involved in the metabolism of CIC to the active metabolite desisobutyryl-ciclesonide (des-CIC), and to measure hydrolysis rates in human liver, ..
- Molecular cloning, purification, and biochemical characterization of a novel pyrethroid-hydrolyzing esterase from Klebsiella sp. strain ZD112
Pei C Wu
State Key Laboratory of Biocontrol, School of Life Science, Zhongshan University, Guangzhou 510275, People s Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 54:836-42. 2006
..were found by a database homology search using the nucleotide and deduced amino acid sequences of the esterases and lipases. EstP was heterologously expressed in E. coli and purified...
- Characterization and heterologous gene expression of a novel esterase from Lactobacillus casei CL96
Young J Choi
Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry, McGill University, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, H9X 3V9, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:3213-21. 2004
..0 and 37 degrees C, respectively. Among the pNP (p-nitrophenyl) esters tested, the most selective substrate was pNP-caprylate (C(8)), with K(m) and k(cat) values of 14 +/- 1.08 microM and 1,245 +/- 42.3 S(-1), respectively...
- Mutational analysis of N-linked glycosylation of esterase 6 in Drosophila melanogaster
M A Myers
CSIRO Division of Entomology, Canberra, Australia
Biochem Genet 34:201-18. 1996
..The latter effect may compromise the role of the transferred enzyme in stimulating egg-laying and delaying receptivity to remating...
- Lipases or esterases: does it really matter? Toward a new bio-physico-chemical classification
Yassine Ben Ali
Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Genie Enzymatique des Lipases, ENIS, University of Sfax, Sfax, Tunisia
Methods Mol Biol 861:31-51. 2012
Carboxylester hydrolases, commonly named esterases, consist of a large spectrum of enzymes defined by their ability to catalyze the hydrolysis of carboxylic ester bonds and are widely distributed among animals, plants, and microorganisms...
- The active site of a carbohydrate esterase displays divergent catalytic and noncatalytic binding functions
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University, The Medical School, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
PLoS Biol 7:e71. 2009
..exhibits a noncatalytic cellulose-binding function but also shares sequence identity with the CE2 family of esterases. Here we show that, unlike other CE2 members, the CtCE2 domain displays divergent catalytic esterase and ..
- Improving the ex vivo stability of drug ester compounds in rat and dog serum: inhibition of the specific esterases and implications on their identity
INSERM U850, Universite de Limoges, Faculte de Medecine, 2 rue du Dr Marcland, 87025 Limoges, France
J Pharm Biomed Anal 51:664-78. 2010
..Furthermore, we found indications of the identity of the drug-specific esterases by means of their inhibitor sensitivity as well as by protein purification and identification...
- R192Q paraoxonase gene variant is associated with a change in HDL-cholesterol level during dietary caloric restriction in nondiabetic healthy males
First Department of Internal Medicine, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 10:57-62. 2003
..PON R192Q polymorphism could affect HDL-C levels after caloric restriction presumably due to decreased HL activity and altered insulin resistance...
- The role of paraoxonase (PON1) in the detoxication of organophosphates and its human polymorphism
L G Costa
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle 98105, USA
Chem Biol Interact 119:429-38. 1999
..These observations underline the importance of considering both genetic variability of enzyme isoform as well as enzyme level (PON1 status) and the developmental time course of appearance of PON1 in developing risk assessment models...
- Single residues dictate the co-evolution of dual esterases: MCP hydrolases from the α/β hydrolase family
Spanish National Research Council CSIC, Institute of Catalysis, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Biochem J 454:157-66. 2013
..The results may open up new research avenues into comparative catalytic models, structural and mechanistic studies, and biotechnological applications of MCP hydrolases. ..
- A thermostable feruloyl-esterase from the hemicellulolytic bacterium Thermobacillus xylanilyticus releases phenolic acids from non-pretreated plant cell walls
UMR614 Fractionnement des AgroRessources et Environnement, INRA, 51686 Reims, France
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 90:541-52. 2011
..4 kDa, similar to feruloyl-esterases from cellulolytic bacteria and fungi...
- Characterization of digestive gland esterase-lipase activity of juvenile redclaw crayfish Cherax quadricarinatus
Laboratorio de Fisiología y Bioquímica Comparada, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas del Noroeste, Mar Bermejo 195, Col Playa Palo Santa Rita, La Paz, BCS 23090, Mexico
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 135:337-47. 2003
..The enzyme activity diminished as the length of the fatty acid chain of substrates increased. Molecular masses for four isozymes were 43, 46, 63 and 118 kDa, respectively, as determined by PAGE...
- Purification and cloning of an esterase from the weed black-grass (Alopecurus myosuroides), which bioactivates aryloxyphenoxypropionate herbicides
School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, University of Durham, Durham DH1 3LE, UK
Plant J 39:894-904. 2004
- Functions of the siderophore esterases IroD and IroE in iron-salmochelin utilization
Mikrobiologie Membranphysiologie, Universitat Tubingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 28, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Microbiology 151:2363-72. 2005
..It is suggested that homologues in other bacteria are also periplasmic IroE-type esterases of siderophores.
- Isolation and characterization of the early nodule-specific protein homologue (Hev b 13), an allergenic lipolytic esterase from Hevea brasiliensis latex
Siti Arija M Arif
Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Biol Chem 279:23933-41. 2004
..The purified protein showed lipase and esterase activities and may be involved in plant defense...
- Esterases from Bacillus subtilis and B. stearothermophilus share high sequence homology but differ substantially in their properties
Institute of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Department of Technical Chemistry and Biotechnology, Greifswald University, Soldmannstrasse 16, 17487 Greifswald, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 60:320-6. 2002
..Despite the high homology, both esterases revealed remarkable differences in their properties...
- Functional expression of an ajmaline pathway-specific esterase from Rauvolfia in a novel plant-virus expression system
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology, Institute of Pharmacy, Johannes Gutenberg University, Staudinger Weg 5, 55128, Mainz, Germany
Planta 222:888-98. 2005
..This expression allowed molecular analysis of AAE for the first time and increased the number of functionally expressed alkaloid genes from Rauvolfia now to eight, and the number of ajmaline pathway-specific cDNAs to a total of six...
- Purification of ENOD8 proteins from Medicago sativa root nodules and their characterization as esterases
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Plant Physiol Biochem 42:73-9. 2004
..Considering ENOD8 protein sequence similarity to an exopolygalacturonase/EP4/iEP4 and lanatoside 15'-O-acetylesterase with the results presented here predicts that ENOD8 substrates could be acetylated oligo- or polysaccharides...
- Effects of four host plants on susceptibility of Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) larvae to five insecticides and activities of detoxification esterases
Department of Entomology, College of Plant Protection, Shandong Agricultural University, Taian, Shandong, China
Pest Manag Sci 66:1273-9. 2010
..The susceptibility of S. litura larvae reared on tobacco, Chinese cabbage, cowpea and sweet potato to phoxim, chlorfenapyr, methomyl, fenvalerate and emamectin benzoate under laboratory conditions was determined...
- Characterization and its potential application of two esterases derived from the arctic sediment metagenome
Jeong Ho Jeon
Marine Biotechnology Research Centre, Korean Ocean Research and Development Institute, Ansan, South Korea
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 11:307-16. 2009
..The esterases genes were overexpressed in Escherichia coli by co-expressing GroEL-GroES chaperonine, and the recombinant ..
- Two glucuronoyl esterases of Phanerochaete chrysosporium
Institute of Chemistry, Center for Glycomics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 845 38, Bratislava, Slovakia
Arch Microbiol 191:133-40. 2009
..Comparison of the amino acid sequences of identified and putative glucuronoyl esterases to other types of carbohydrate esterases (CE) confirmed that they form a separate family of CEs...
- A novel esterase from Bacillus subtilis (RRL 1789): purification and characterization of the enzyme
Regional Research Laboratory, Canal Road, Jammu Tawi 180001, India
Protein Expr Purif 45:262-8. 2006
..The N-terminal amino acid sequence of BSE determined, as Met-Thr-Pro-Glu-Iso-Val-Thr-Thr-Glu-Tyr-Gly- revealed similarity with the N-terminal amino acid sequence of p-nitrobenzylesterase of B. subtilis...
- Characterization of two metagenome-derived esterases that reactivate chloramphenicol by counteracting chloramphenicol acetyltransferase
Department of Medical Bioscience, Dong A University, Busan 604 714, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 21:1203-10. 2011
..we investigated lipolytic enzymes selected from an alluvial soil metagenomic library, and identified two novel esterases, EstDL26 and EstDL136...
- Indication for a new lipolytic enzyme family: isolation and characterization of two esterases from a metagenomic library
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Leipzig, Germany
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 18:181-7. 2010
..EstGK1 and EstZ3 have only minor overall sequence similarity to known esterases. We propose that, together with other hypothetical enzymes, they constitute a new family of lipolytic enzymes...
- Functional proteomic analysis of lipases and esterases in cultured human adipocytes
Institute of Biochemistry, Graz University of Technology, Graz, Austria
J Proteome Res 9:6334-44. 2010
..Both of them showed pronounced hydrolytic activities on hydrophobic acylglycerols and therefore may be considered lipases. The physiological functions of the novel lipolytic proteins in vivo are currently subject to investigation...
- Gene cloning and characterization of a novel thermophilic esterase from Fervidobacterium nodosum Rt17-B1
Jilin University, Changchun, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 42:288-95. 2010
..high with a half-life of 80 min at 70 degrees C, but less stable compared with some other hyperthermophilic esterases. A structural model was constructed using acetylesterase from Aspergillus aculeatus as a template...
- Characterization of novel esterases in insecticide-resistant mosquitoes
State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 37:1131-7. 2007
..detected Ester alleles, Ester(B10) and Ester(11) (including associated Ester(A11) and Ester(B11)), coding for esterases B10 and A11-B11, respectively, are characterized qualitatively and quantitatively...
- Production and characterization of two N-terminal truncated esterases from Thermus thermophilus HB27 in a mesophilic yeast: effect of N-terminus in thermal activity and stability
Department of Analytical and Food Chemistry, University of Vigo, Campus of Ourense, As Lagoas, 32004 Ourense, Spain
Protein Expr Purif 78:120-30. 2011
..Minor differences were observed in the substrate specificity. Our results suggest that the N-terminal segment is critical for maintaining the hyperthermophilic function and stability...
- Biochemical and physiological studies of soluble esterases from Drosophila melanogaster
M J Healy
CSIRO Division of Entomology, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Biochem Genet 29:365-88. 1991
Twenty-two soluble esterases have been identified in D. melanogaster by combining the techniques of native polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and isoelectric focusing...
- MRI cerebral white matter lesions and paraoxonase PON1 polymorphisms : three-year follow-up of the austrian stroke prevention study
Department of Neurology, Karl Franzens University, Graz, Austria
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20:1811-6. 2000
..05/mm Hg), and LL paraoxonase genotype (odds ratio, 2. 65) to be significant predictors of WML progression. These data suggest that the LL PON1 genotype at position 54 influences the extent and progression of WMLs in elderly subjects...
- Identification and biochemical characterization of a GDSL-motif carboxylester hydrolase from Carica papaya latex
CNRS, Aix Marseille Universite, Enzymologie Interfaciale et Physiologie de la Lipolyse, Marseille, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1791:1048-56. 2009
- The SGNH-hydrolase of Streptomyces coelicolor has (aryl)esterase and a true lipase activity
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Division of Molecular Biology, Ruder Boskovic Institute, Bijenicka 54, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Biochimie 91:390-400. 2009
..coelicolor SGNH-hydrolase generated three distinct groups consisting of proteins from Actinomycetales, Ascomycota and Nematoda. At present it seems that these enzymes are most conserved among soil inhabiting organisms...