Genomes and Genes
Summary: A vitamin-like antioxidant.
Publications331 found, 100 shown here
- Alpha-lipoic acid as a dietary supplement: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potentialKate Petersen Shay
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331 6512, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:1149-60. 2009..Current trials are investigating whether these beneficial properties of LA make it an appropriate treatment not just for diabetes, but also for the prevention of vascular disease, hypertension, and inflammation...
- Lipoic acid - biological activity and therapeutic potentialAnna Goraca
Department of Cardiovascular Physiology, Medical University of Lodz, Mazowiecka 6 8, PL 92 215 Łódź, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 63:849-58. 2011..This review was undertaken to gather the most recent information regarding the therapeutic properties of LA and its possible utility in disease treatment...
- Toxoplasma gondii scavenges host-derived lipoic acid despite its de novo synthesis in the apicoplastMichael J Crawford
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
EMBO J 25:3214-22. 2006..Our studies thus reveal an unexpected metabolic deficiency in T. gondii and raise the question whether the close interaction of host mitochondria with the parasitophorous vacuole is connected to lipoate supply by the host...
- Irbesartan and lipoic acid improve endothelial function and reduce markers of inflammation in the metabolic syndrome: results of the Irbesartan and Lipoic Acid in Endothelial Dysfunction (ISLAND) studySrikanth Sola
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Circulation 111:343-8. 2005..We evaluated the ability of irbesartan, an angiotensin receptor blocker, and lipoic acid, an antioxidant, to affect endothelial function and inflammation in patients with the metabolic syndrome...
- Anti-obesity effects of alpha-lipoic acid mediated by suppression of hypothalamic AMP-activated protein kinaseMin Seon Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 138 736 Poongnap dong, Songpa Ku, Seoul 138 736, Korea
Nat Med 10:727-33. 2004..Our findings indicate that hypothalamic AMPK is important in the central regulation of food intake and energy expenditure and that alpha-LA exerts anti-obesity effects by suppressing hypothalamic AMPK activity...
- The pharmacology of the antioxidant lipoic acidG P Biewenga
Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Vrije Universiteit, Department of Pharmacochemistry, The Netherlands
Gen Pharmacol 29:315-31. 1997..10. Within drug-related antioxidant pharmacology, lipoic acid is a model compound that enhances understanding of the mode of action of antioxidants in drug therapy...
- Lipoic acid prevents high-fat diet-induced dyslipidemia and oxidative stress: a microarray analysisRui Li Yang
State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, Jiangsu, China
Nutrition 24:582-8. 2008..To elucidate the molecular mechanisms of that effect, we carried out experiments aimed at analyzing biochemical parameters and gene expression profiles...
- Lipoic acid as an anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective treatment for Alzheimer's diseaseAnnette Maczurek
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney, Australia
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60:1463-70. 2008....
- A novel two-gene requirement for the octanoyltransfer reaction of Bacillus subtilis lipoic acid biosynthesisNatalia Martin
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Rosario IBR CONICET, Facultad de Ciencias Bioquimicas y Farmaceuticas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Suipacha 531, 2000 Rosario, Argentina
Mol Microbiol 80:335-49. 2011..coliΔlipB strain can be complemented with lipM, but not lipL. These data together with those of the companion article provide evidence that LipM and LipL catalyse sequential reactions in a novel pathway for lipoic acid biosynthesis...
- Direct and indirect antioxidant properties of α-lipoic acid and therapeutic potentialLuc Rochette
Inserm UMR866, Laboratoire de Physiopathologie et Pharmacologie Cardio Métaboliques, Universite de Bourgogne, Facultés de Médecine et Pharmacie, 21000 Dijon, France
Mol Nutr Food Res 57:114-25. 2013..The complex and intimate association between increased oxidative stress and increased inflammation in related disorders such as diabetes, makes it difficult to establish the temporal sequence of the relationship...
- Assembly of the covalent linkage between lipoic acid and its cognate enzymesXin Zhao
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Chem Biol 10:1293-302. 2003..coli strain devoid of LipA activity. The labeled octanoyl domain was converted to lipoylated domain upon restoration of LipA. Moreover, octanoyl domain and octanoyl-PDH were substrates for sulfur insertion in vitro...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of α-lipoic acid in the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathyTingting Han
Department of Endocrinology, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, 200127 Shanghai, China
Eur J Endocrinol 167:465-71. 2012..To evaluate the effects and safety of 300-600 mg α-lipoic acid (ALA) given i.v. for diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN)...
- Ameliorating effect of DL-α-lipoic acid against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and cardiotoxicity in experimental animalsAsmma Hussein
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Omar Al Mukhtar University, Al Bayda, Libya
Drug Discov Ther 6:147-56. 2012..In conclusion, LA is suggested to be a potential candidate to ameliorate cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and cardiotoxicity without altering the antitumor efficacy of cisplatin...
- Neuroprotection of lipoic acid treatment promotes angiogenesis and reduces the glial scar formation after brain injuryB Rocamonde
Facultad Ciencias de Salud, Universidad CEU Cardenal Herrera, Moncada, Valencia, Spain
Neuroscience 224:102-15. 2012..These findings open new possibilities for restorative strategies after brain injury, stroke or related disorders...
- Beneficial effects of alpha-lipoic acid plus vitamin E on neurological deficit, reactive gliosis and neuronal remodeling in the penumbra of the ischemic rat brainO Gonzalez-Perez
Division de Neurociencias, Centro de Investigación Biomédica de Occidente CIBO del Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social IMSS, Sierra Mojada 800, Guadalajara Jalisco 44340, Mexico
Neurosci Lett 321:100-4. 2002..The beneficial effects of this antioxidant mixture suggest that it may be valuable for the treatment of cerebral ischemia in humans...
- α-lipoic acid prevents non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in OLETF ratsTae Sik Jung
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University School of Medicine, Jinju, Gyeongnam, Republic of Korea
Liver Int 32:1565-73. 2012..The powerful antioxidant α-lipoic acid (ALA) has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and suppress inflammatory responses. This study explores how ALA administration protects against NAFLD...
- The oxidative stress and the mitochondrial dysfunction caused by endotoxemia are prevented by alpha-lipoic acidVirginia Vanasco
Laboratory of Free Radical Biology, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Free Radic Res 42:815-23. 2008..The treatment with LA prevented the oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction observed in this model...
- Nrf2-dependent induction of proteasome and Pa28αβ regulator are required for adaptation to oxidative stressAndrew M Pickering
Ethel Percy Andrus Gerontology Center of the Davis School of Gerontology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
J Biol Chem 287:10021-31. 2012..Thus, immunoproteasome appears to be (at most) minimally regulated by the Nrf2 signal transduction pathway...
- Dietary fructose accelerates the development of diabetes in UCD-T2DM rats: amelioration by the antioxidant, alpha-lipoic acidBethany P Cummings
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, One Shields Ave, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R1343-50. 2010..In conclusion, dietary fructose accelerates the onset of T2DM in UCD-T2DM rats, and LA ameliorates the effects of fructose by improving glucose homeostasis, possibly by preserving beta-cell function...
- A fatal mitochondrial disease is associated with defective NFU1 function in the maturation of a subset of mitochondrial Fe-S proteinsAleix Navarro-Sastre
Division of Inborn Errors of Metabolism, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Hospital Clinic, Instituto de Investigación Biomédica Pi Sunyer, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Am J Hum Genet 89:656-67. 2011..Importantly, yeast Nfu1 protein carrying the individuals' missense mutation was functionally impaired. We conclude that NFU1 functions as a late-acting maturation factor for a subset of mitochondrial Fe-S proteins...
- Lipoic acid metabolism in microbial pathogensMaroya D Spalding
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe St, Room E5132, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 74:200-28. 2010..This review surveys the role of lipoate metabolism in bacterial, fungal, and protozoan pathogens and how these organisms have employed this metabolism to adapt to niche environments...
- Function, attachment and synthesis of lipoic acid in Escherichia coliJohn E Cronan
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Adv Microb Physiol 50:103-46. 2005..Homologues of the lipoic acid metabolism proteins are found in all branches of life, save the Archea, and thus these findings seem to have wide biological relevance...
- Pathogenesis of ganglion "cell death" in glaucoma and neuroprotection: focus on ganglion cell axonal mitochondriaNeville N Osborne
Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology, University of Oxford, Walton Street, Oxford OX2 6AW, UK
Prog Brain Res 173:339-52. 2008....
- Beneficial effects of creatine, CoQ10, and lipoic acid in mitochondrial disordersM Christine Rodriguez
Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Muscle Nerve 35:235-42. 2007..Future studies with larger sample sizes in relatively homogeneous groups will be required to determine whether such combination therapies influence function and quality of life...
- Oral administration of RAC-alpha-lipoic acid modulates insulin sensitivity in patients with type-2 diabetes mellitus: a placebo-controlled pilot trialS Jacob
Hypertension and Diabetes Research Unit, Max Grundig Clinic, Bühl and City Hospital, Baden Baden, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 27:309-14. 1999..The results suggest that oral administration of alpha-lipoic acid can improve insulin sensitivity in patients with type-2 diabetes. The encouraging findings of this pilot trial need to be substantiated by further investigations...
- Lipoic acid synthesis and attachment in yeast mitochondriaMelissa S Schonauer
Department of Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
J Biol Chem 284:23234-42. 2009..We propose a model for protein lipoylation in which Lip2, Lip3, Lip5, and Gcv3 function in a complex, which may be regulated by the availability of acetyl-CoA, and which in turn may regulate mitochondrial gene expression...
- Lipoic acid - the drug of the future?Anna Bilska
Institute of Medical Biochemistry, Medical College, Jagiellonian University, Kopernika 7, PL 31 034 Kraków, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 57:570-7. 2005..Moreover, analysis of literature data suggests participation of lipoic acid in processes of cell growth and differentiation. This fact can be crucial to clinical practice, however, this problem requires further studies...
- Reactive oxygen species mediate caspase activation and apoptosis induced by lipoic acid in human lung epithelial cancer cells through Bcl-2 down-regulationJirapan Moungjaroen
West Virginia University, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:1062-9. 2006..Together, our findings indicate a novel pro-oxidant role of LA in apoptosis induction and its regulation by Bcl-2, which may be exploited for the treatment of cancer and related apoptosis disorders...
- Alpha-lipoic acid attenuates LPS-induced inflammatory responses by activating the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt signaling pathwayWei Jian Zhang
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, 571 Weniger Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331 6512
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:4077-82. 2007..Lipoic acid may be useful in the prevention of sepsis and inflammatory vascular diseases...
- Alpha-lipoic acid increases insulin sensitivity by activating AMPK in skeletal muscleWoo Je Lee
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:885-91. 2005..These results suggest that ALA-induced improvement of insulin sensitivity is mediated by activation of AMPK and reduced triglyceride accumulation in skeletal muscle...
- Protective effect of lipoic acid on oxidative and peroxidative damage in cyclosporine A-induced renal toxicityGanapathy Amudha
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Dr ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Chennai, 600 113, India
Int Immunopharmacol 7:1442-9. 2007..These results indicate that the antioxidant LA might have a protective effect against CsA-induced peroxidative changes and cellular damage of the renal tissue of the rat...
- Lipoic acid and N-acetyl cysteine decrease mitochondrial-related oxidative stress in Alzheimer disease patient fibroblastsPaula I Moreira
Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Coimbra, 3004 517 Coimbra, Portugal
J Alzheimers Dis 12:195-206. 2007..These data suggest mitochondria are important in oxidative damage that occurs in AD. As such, antioxidant therapies based on lipoic acid and N-acetyl cysteine supplementation may be promising...
- Biological actions of lipoic acid associated with sulfane sulfur metabolismAnna Bilska
The Chair of Medical Biochemistry, Jagiellonian University, Collegium Medicum, Kopernika 7, PL 31 034 Kraków, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 60:225-32. 2008..It demonstrated for the first time in vivo that biological activity of lipoate might be connected with anaerobic cysteine metabolism to S(*) and with rhodanese activity...
- Age-associated mitochondrial oxidative decay: improvement of carnitine acetyltransferase substrate-binding affinity and activity in brain by feeding old rats acetyl-L- carnitine and/or R-alpha -lipoic acidJiankang Liu
Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:1876-81. 2002..Thus, feeding old rats high levels of key mitochondrial metabolites can ameliorate oxidative damage, enzyme activity, substrate-binding affinity, and mitochondrial dysfunction...
- Lipoic acid metabolism in Escherichia coli: the lplA and lipB genes define redundant pathways for ligation of lipoyl groups to apoproteinT W Morris
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign 61801
J Bacteriol 177:1-10. 1995..These results support a two-pathway/two-ligase model of lipoate metabolism in E. coli...
- Antioxidant and prooxidant activities of alpha-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acidHadi Moini
Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, PB 56 Viikki Biocenter, FIN 00014, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 182:84-90. 2002..Whether alpha-lipoic acid and/or dihydrolipoic acid-induced oxidative protein modifications contribute to their versatile effects observed in vivo warrants further investigation...
- Anti-apoptotic and neuroprotective effects of α-lipoic acid on spinal cord ischemia-reperfusion injury in rabbitsHakan Emmez
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Polikliniği Kat 1, Ankara 06500, Turkey
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 152:1591-600; discussion 1600-1. 2010..The aim of this study is to investigate the neuroprotective and anti-apoptotic effects of alpha-lipoic acid on spinal cord ischemia-reperfusion...
- Chronic dietary alpha-lipoic acid reduces deficits in hippocampal memory of aged Tg2576 miceJoseph F Quinn
Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, P3 R and D Portland, OR, United States
Neurobiol Aging 28:213-25. 2007..These data indicate that chronic dietary ALA can reduce hippocampal-dependent memory deficits of Tg2576 mice without affecting beta-amyloid levels or plaque deposition...
- Lipoic acid and vitamin C potentiate nitric oxide synthesis in human aortic endothelial cells independently of cellular glutathione statusFrancesco Visioli
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon, USA
Redox Rep 7:223-7. 2002..Thus, vitamin C and lipoic acid potentiate endothelial NO synthesis and bioactivity by mechanisms that appear to be independent of cellular GSH levels and redox environment...
- The contributions of antioxidant activity of lipoic acid in reducing neurogenerative progression of Parkinson's disease: a reviewDayane Pessoa De Araújo
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Ceara, Brazil
Int J Neurosci 121:51-7. 2011..Therefore, this antioxidant has been used in the treatment of many diseases, including a new perspective for the treatment of Parkinson's disease...
- Alpha-lipoic acid-induced heme oxygenase-1 expression is mediated by nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in human monocytic cellsRichard M Ogborne
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Elsie Widdowson Laboratory, Cambridge, CB1 9NL, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:2100-5. 2005..This study examined the effects of ALA on HO-1 expression in human monocytic cells...
- Burning mouth syndrome (BMS): controlled open trial of the efficacy of alpha-lipoic acid (thioctic acid) on symptomatologyF Femiano
Stomatology Clinic II, University of Medicine and Surgery, Napoli, Italy
Oral Dis 6:274-7. 2000Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), is a potent antioxidant mitochondrial coenzyme, the trometamol salt of thioctic acid that has been shown in clinical studies to be neuroprotective...
- Protective effect of α-lipoic acid on oxidized low density lipoprotein-induced human umbilical vein endothelial cell injuryYan Xia Liu
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, Dalian Medical University, 9 west section, Lvshun South Road, Lvshunkou District, Dalian 116044, Liaoning Province, China
Pharmacol Rep 63:1180-8. 2011..The cytoprotective effects are not thought to be due to inhibited C-reactive protein (CRP) protein expression in HUVECs...
- Acute reversal of endothelial dysfunction in the elderly after antioxidant consumptionD Walter Wray
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Salt Lake City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Hypertension 59:818-24. 2012....
- Cap-independent Nrf2 translation is part of a lipoic acid-stimulated detoxification stress responseKate Petersen Shay
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1823:1102-9. 2012..Thus, translational control of Nrf2 synthesis, rather than reliance solely on pre-existing protein, may mediate the rapid burst of Nrf2 nuclear accumulation following stress stimuli...
- Thioctic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine in the treatment of sciatic pain caused by a herniated disc: a randomized, double-blind, comparative studyAntonio Memeo
Ortopedia Pediatrica, Istituto Ortopedico Gaetano Pini, Milan, Italy
Clin Drug Investig 28:495-500. 2008..b>Thioctic acid, a key compound in oxidative metabolism, has antioxidant properties that may help the recovery of nerve ..
- The impact of lipoic acid on endothelial function and proteinuria in quinapril-treated diabetic patients with stage I hypertension: results from the QUALITY studySyed T Rahman
Emory University School of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 17:139-45. 2012....
- Thioredoxin and dihydrolipoic acid are required for 3-mercaptopyruvate sulfurtransferase to produce hydrogen sulfideYoshinori Mikami
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, National Institute of Neuroscience, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Ogawa Higashi, Kodaira, Tokyo, Japan
Biochem J 439:479-85. 2011..We also show that 3MST produces H2S from thiosulfate. The present study provides a new insight into a mechanism for the production of H2S by 3MST...
- Lipoic acid administration prevents nonalcoholic steatosis linked to long-term high-fat feeding by modulating mitochondrial functionM Pilar Valdecantos
Department of Nutrition, Food Science, Physiology and Toxicology, University of Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
J Nutr Biochem 23:1676-84. 2012..The reduction in mitochondrial energy efficiency could also explain, at least in part, the beneficial effects of lipoic acid not only in fatty liver but also in preventing excessive body weight gain...
- Lipoic acid improves mitochondrial function in nonalcoholic steatosis through the stimulation of sirtuin 1 and sirtuin 3M Pilar Valdecantos
Department of Nutrition, Food Science, Physiology and Toxicology, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:1974-83. 2012....
- Evaluation of anti-oxidant treatments in an in vitro model of alkaptonuric ochronosisDaniela Braconi
Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare, Universita degli Studi di Siena, Via Fiorentina 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:1975-83. 2010....
- Antioxidant properties of an endogenous thiol: Alpha-lipoic acid, useful in the prevention of cardiovascular diseasesStéliana Ghibu
University Cluj Napoca, Romania
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 54:391-8. 2009..A more complete understanding of cellular biochemical events that influence oxidative damage is required to guide future therapeutic advances...
- Efficacy of DL-alpha lipoic acid against systemic inflammation-induced mice: antioxidant defense systemE Philip Jesudason
Bio organic and Neurochemistry Laboratory, Central Leather Research Institute, Adyar, Chennai 600 020, India
Mol Cell Biochem 313:113-23. 2008....
- alpha-lipoic acid inhibits endotoxin-stimulated expression of iNOS and nitric oxide independent of the heat shock response in RAW 264.7 cellsVincent G Demarco
Department of Child Health, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Free Radic Res 38:675-82. 2004..Likewise, no effect of LA on HSF-1 protein expression was detected. These data suggest that LA inhibits LPS-induced activation of iNOS in macrophages independent of the heat shock response...
- The comparison of antioxidant and hematological properties of N-acetylcysteine and alpha-lipoic acid in physically active malesA Zembron-Lacny
University of Physical Education Poznan, Faculty of Physical Culture Gorzow Wlkp, Department of Biochemistry, Gorzow Wlkp, Poland
Physiol Res 58:855-61. 2009..Our study has shown that both N-acetylcysteine and alpha-lipoic acid intake reveal an antioxidant action, but only N-acetylcysteine improves the haematological response...
- Dietary lipoic acid-dependent changes in the activity and mRNA levels of hepatic lipogenic enzymes in ratsDoan Thi Thanh Huong
Laboratory of Nutritional Function, Division of Food Function, National Food Research Institute, 2 1 12 Kannondai, Tsukuba 305 8642, Japan
Br J Nutr 100:79-87. 2008..Lipoic acid appeared to reduce hepatic lipogenesis and hence decreases serum and liver lipid levels. Alterations in serum concentrations of insulin and (or) adiponectin may trigger this consequence...
- The mitochondrial cocktail: rationale for combined nutraceutical therapy in mitochondrial cytopathiesM A Tarnopolsky
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, McMaster University, 1200 Main St W, HSC 2H26, Hamilton, Ontario L8N3Z5, Canada
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60:1561-7. 2008....
- Alpha lipoic acid protects heart against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury through a mechanism involving aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 activationLan He
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Eur J Pharmacol 678:32-8. 2012..The regulatory effect of lipoic acid on ALDH2 activity is dependent on PKCε signaling pathway...
- Cellular mechanisms by which lipoic acid confers protection during the early stages of cerebral ischemia: a possible role for calciumMarc J P Richard
Department of Biomedical Science, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 4P3, Canada
Neurosci Res 69:299-307. 2011..In summary, these findings suggest that LA does not affect neuronal physiology under normal conditions, but can protect cells from an ischemic event...
- Dietary alpha-lipoic acid supplementation lowers blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive ratsS Vasdev
Department of Medicine, Health Sciences Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Canada
J Hypertens 18:567-73. 2000....
- R-alpha-lipoic acid action on cell redox status, the insulin receptor, and glucose uptake in 3T3-L1 adipocytesHadi Moini
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 397:384-91. 2002....
- A novel amidotransferase required for lipoic acid cofactor assembly in Bacillus subtilisQuin H Christensen
Departments of Microbiology Biochemistry Chemistry Biology Interface Training Program, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Mol Microbiol 80:350-63. 2011..Thus, these two homologous enzymes have convergent architectures...
- The effect of alpha-lipoic acid on symptoms and skin blood flow in diabetic neuropathyH Y Jin
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Chonbuk National University, Medical School, Jeon Ju, South Korea
Diabet Med 24:1034-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of alpha-lipoic acid on skin blood flow in patients with diabetic neuropathy...
- Long-term safety of alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) consumption: A 2-year studyD R Cremer
Degussa Food Ingredients GmbH, Lise Meitnerstr 34 D 85354 Freising, Germany
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 46:193-201. 2006Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) (CAS RN 1077-28-7), also referred to as thioctic acid, has been demonstrated to exhibit strong anti-oxidant properties...
- Alpha lipoic acid: a new treatment for neuropathic pain in patients with diabetes?G S Mijnhout
Department of Internal Medicine, Isala Clinics, Zwolle, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 68:158-62. 2010..Neuropathic pain is difficult to treat. We identified those studies in the literature in which the effectiveness of alpha lipoic acid as a treatment for neuropathic pain was evaluated...
- Heme oxygenase-1 contributes to the cytoprotection of alpha-lipoic acid via activation of p44/42 mitogen-activated protein kinase in vascular smooth muscle cellsPao Yun Cheng
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Free Radic Biol Med 40:1313-22. 2006..This study demonstrated that ALA increases the expression of HO-1, a critical cytoprotective molecule, and identified a novel pleiotropic effect of ALA on cardiovascular protection...
- Burning mouth syndrome (BMS): double blind controlled study of alpha-lipoic acid (thioctic acid) therapyF Femiano
Stomatology Clinic II, University of Medicine and Surgery, Napoli, Italy
J Oral Pathol Med 31:267-9. 2002..Alpha-lipoic acid is an antioxidant able to increase the levels of intracellular glutathione and eliminate free radicals. This study aimed to examine the effectiveness of alpha-lipoic acid in the therapy of BMS...
- Effect of DL-alpha-lipoic acid on the status of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in various brain regions of aged ratsP Arivazhagan
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Dr AL Mudaliar Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Chennai 600 113, India
Exp Gerontol 37:803-11. 2002....
- Effects of alpha-lipoic Acid on body weight in obese subjectsEun Hee Koh
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Am J Med 124:85.e1-8. 2011..We previously reported that alpha-lipoic acid markedly reduced body weight gain in rodents. The purpose of this study was to determine whether alpha-lipoic acid reduces body weight in obese human subjects...
- Pro-oxidant actions of alpha-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acidUfuk Cakatay
Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Central Laboratory of Biochemistry, Capa 34390, Istanbul, Turkey
Med Hypotheses 66:110-7. 2006..This aspect remains to be elucidated. In further studies, careful evaluation will be necessary for the decision in the biological system whether LA administration is beneficial or harmful...
- Alpha-lipoic acid improves vascular endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes: a placebo-controlled randomized trialB B Heinisch
Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Clin Invest 40:148-54. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) treatment on endothelium-dependent and -independent vasodilatation, assessed by forearm blood flow (FBF), in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- The potential protective role of alpha-lipoic acid against acetaminophen-induced hepatic and renal damageAhmed O Abdel-Zaher
Department of Pharmacolog, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
Toxicology 243:261-70. 2008..These results provide evidence that inhibition of NO overproduction and maintenance of intracellular antioxidant status may play a pivotal role in the protective effects of alpha-LA against APAP-induced hepatic and renal damage...
- Alpha-lipoic acid preconditioning reduces ischemia-reperfusion injury of the rat liver via the PI3-kinase/Akt pathwayChristian Muller
Dept of Pharmacy, Center of Drug Research, Univ of Munich, Germany
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G769-78. 2003..This study shows for the first time that the PI3-kinase/Akt pathway plays a central protective role in IRI of the rat liver and that LA administration attenuates IRI via this pathway...
- Alpha-lipoic acid: a multifunctional antioxidant that improves insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetesJ L Evans
Medical Research Institute, San Bruno, California 94066, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 2:401-13. 2000..If the limitations of oral therapy can be overcome, LA could emerge as a safe and effective adjunctive antidiabetic agent with insulin sensitizing activity...
- Mitochondrial fatty acid synthesis and respirationJ Kalervo Hiltunen
Department of Biochemistry and Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, PO Box 3000, FI 90014 Oulu, Finland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1797:1195-202. 2010..The linkage of FAS II genes to published animal models for human disease supports the hypothesis that mitochondrial FAS dysfunction leads to the development of disorders in mammals...
- The effects and mechanisms of mitochondrial nutrient alpha-lipoic acid on improving age-associated mitochondrial and cognitive dysfunction: an overviewJiankang Liu
Institute for Brain Aging and Dementia, University of California, 1261 Gillespie Neuroscience Research Facility, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Neurochem Res 33:194-203. 2008....
- Improvement of insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus after oral administration of alpha-lipoic acidPetya Kamenova
Department of Diabetology, University Hospital of Endocrinology, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Hormones (Athens) 5:251-8. 2006..Amelioration of insulin resistance could improve both glycaemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Alpha-lipoic acid has been shown to improve insulin action after parenteral administration...
- Increased ROS generation and p53 activation in alpha-lipoic acid-induced apoptosis of hepatoma cellsG Simbula
Department of Toxicology, Oncology and Molecular Pathology Unit, Italy
Apoptosis 12:113-23. 2007..In conclusion, this study provides evidence that alpha-LA induces apoptosis in hepatoma cells, describes a possible sequence of molecular events underlying its lethal effect, and suggests that it may prove useful in liver cancer therapy...
- Treatment of symptomatic diabetic polyneuropathy with the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid: a meta-analysisD Ziegler
German Diabetes Research Institute, Leibriz Institute at the Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Diabet Med 21:114-21. 2004..To determine the efficacy and safety of 600 mg of alpha-lipoic acid given intravenously over 3 weeks in diabetic patients with symptomatic polyneuropathy...
- The antihyperglycemic drug alpha-lipoic acid stimulates glucose uptake via both GLUT4 translocation and GLUT4 activation: potential role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in GLUT4 activationD Konrad
Programme in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X8, Canada
Diabetes 50:1464-71. 2001..Instead, it is likely that regulation of transporter activity is sensitive to these inhibitors...
- Attenuation of myocardial apoptosis by alpha-lipoic acid through suppression of mitochondrial oxidative stress to reduce diabetic cardiomyopathyChun jun Li
The Ministry of Health Key Laboratory of Hormone and Development, Department of Endocrinology, Metabolic Disease Hospital of Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin 300070, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 122:2580-6. 2009..This study aimed to test whether the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid (alpha-LA) could attenuate mitochondrion-dependent myocardial apoptosis through suppression of mitochondrial oxidative stress to reduce diabetic cardiomyopathy...
- Thioctic acid for patients with symptomatic diabetic polyneuropathy: a critical reviewDan Ziegler
German Diabetes Clinic, German Diabetes Research Institute, Leibniz Institute at the Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Treat Endocrinol 3:173-89. 2004..diabetic neuropathy, oxygen free-radical activity in the sciatic nerve is increased, and treatment with thioctic acid, a potent lipophilic antioxidant, results in prevention or improvement of the diabetes-induced neurovascular ..
- Is alpha-lipoic acid a scavenger of reactive oxygen species in vivo? Evidence for its initiation of stress signaling pathways that promote endogenous antioxidant capacityKate Petersen Shay
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
IUBMB Life 60:362-7. 2008..This would promote a sustained improvement in cellular resistance to pathologies where oxidative stress is involved, which would not be forthcoming if LA solely acted as a transient ROS scavenger...
- The plasma pharmacokinetics of R-(+)-lipoic acid administered as sodium R-(+)-lipoate to healthy human subjectsDavid A Carlson
GeroNova Research, Inc, 4677 Meade St, Richmond, California 94804, USA
Altern Med Rev 12:343-51. 2007..Rac-LA and the natural form, R-lipoic acid (RLA), are widely available as nutritional supplements, marketed as antioxidants. Rac-LA sodium salt (NaLA) or rac-LA potassium salt (KLA) has been used to improve the aqueous solubility of LA...
- Lipoic acid effects on established atherosclerosisZhekang Ying
Davis Heart Lung Research Institute, College of Medicine, and Division of Environmental Health Sciences, College of Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210 1252, USA
Life Sci 86:95-102. 2010..We investigated the mechanisms by which LA may confer protection in models of established atherosclerosis...
- Evidence that α-lipoic acid inhibits NF-κB activation independent of its antioxidant functionZhekang Ying
Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, Colleges of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Room 110, 473W 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210 1252, USA
Inflamm Res 60:219-25. 2011..It is postulated that the anti-inflammatory function of LA results from its antioxidant function. In this study we tested whether inhibition of NF-κB by LA is dependent on its antioxidant function...
- New metabolic pathways of alpha-lipoic acidH Schupke
Department of Metabolism and Development, elbion AG, Radebeul, Germany
Drug Metab Dispos 29:855-62. 2001..Furthermore, new data are presented that suggest conjugation with glycine occurred as a separate metabolic pathway in competition with beta-oxidation, predominantly in mice...
- Distribution study of orally administered lipoic acid in rat brain tissuesH T Chng
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore, 18 Science Drive 4, 117543 Singapore
Brain Res 1251:80-6. 2009..01, respectively. Our results demonstrate for the first time that LA does not cross the blood-brain barrier readily and suggest that the antioxidant effect of LA in brain may not be due to its direct effect in the central nervous system...
- The natural antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid induces p27(Kip1)-dependent cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in MCF-7 human breast cancer cellsElena Dozio
Department of Human Morphology and Biomedical Sciences Citta Studi, Via L Mangiagalli 31, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 641:29-34. 2010..Thus, the anti-tumor activity of alpha-lipoic acid observed in MCF-7 cells further stresses the role of redox state in regulating cancer initiation and progression...
- A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of thioctic acid in migraine prophylaxisDelphine Magis
Headache Research Unit, Neurology Department, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Headache 47:52-7. 2007..b>Thioctic acid (-lipoic acid) is another substance known to enhance energy metabolism in mitochondria and to be beneficial in ..
- Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase is involved in AMP-activated protein kinase activation by alpha-lipoic acid in C2C12 myotubesQingwu W Shen
Department of Animal Science, Interdepartmental Molecular and Cellular Life Science Program, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C1395-403. 2007..These data show that CaMKK is the kinase responsible for ALA-induced AMPK activation in C2C12 myotubes...
- Antiplatelet activity of alpha-lipoic acidYuan Shu Lai
Taipei City Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Agric Food Chem 58:8596-603. 2010..Moreover, inhibition of ROS formation and increase of platelet membrane fluidity may also involve its actions...
- [Effects of α-lipoic acid and vitamin C on oxidative stress in rat exposed to chronic arsenic toxicity]Chong bin Liu
Institute of Nutrition and Health Ecology, School of Basic Medicine, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325035, China
Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 28:891-4. 2010..To explore arsenic-induced oxidative stress and the protective efficacy of α-lipoic acid and vitamin c...
- Alpha-lipoic acid rebalances redox and immune-testicular milieu in septic ratsAbdelkader E Ashour
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Chem Biol Interact 189:198-205. 2011..Pretreatment with ALA ameliorated all these effects by its immune-modulator and antioxidant mechanisms suggesting a protective role against male infertility in septic or severely infected patients...
- Alpha-lipoic acid prevents lipotoxic cardiomyopathy in acyl CoA-synthase transgenic miceYoung Lee
Gifford Laboratories, Touchstone Center for Diabetes Research, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8854, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 344:446-52. 2006..Since food restriction did not prevent lipotoxicity, we conclude that alpha-LA treatment, like hyperleptinemia, protects the heart of ACS-transgenic mice from lipotoxicity...
- Effect of alpha-lipoic acid on visual evoked potentials in rats exposed to sulfiteNarin Derin
Department of Biophysics, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
Neurotoxicol Teratol 31:34-9. 2009..Though not significant, a similar increase in GSH:GSSG ratio was also observed in the retina of SL group. This study showed that LA is protective against sulfite-induced VEP alterations and oxidative stress in the brain and retina...
- Intervention of alpha-lipoic acid ameliorates methotrexate-induced oxidative stress and genotoxicity: A study in rat intestineV P Dadhania
Johnson and Johnson Limited, L B S Marg, Mulund W, Mumbai 400080, India
Chem Biol Interact 183:85-97. 2010....
- Dietary lipoic acid supplementation attenuates hypertension in Dahl salt sensitive ratsSudesh Vasdev
Department of Medicine, Room H 4310, Health Sciences Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem 275:135-41. 2005..Dietary lipoic acid supplementation attenuated the increase in systolic blood pressure and associated biochemical and histopathological changes...
- Lipid stability and antioxidant profile of microsomal fraction of broiler meat enriched with α-lipoic acid and α-tocopherol acetateMuhammad S Arshad
National Institute of Food Science and Technology, Faisalabad, Pakistan
J Agric Food Chem 59:7346-52. 2011..63 ± 0.008 μg/mg of protein), in which the only oxidized oil was used. Oxidized oil in feed reduced weight gain and increased TBARS, whereas TPC, DPPH, ALA, and ATA values decreased in both leg and breast meat...
- Protective effect of acetyl-l-carnitine and α-lipoic acid against the acute toxicity of diepoxybutane to human lymphocytesFilipa Ponte
REQUIMTE, Laboratory of Toxicology, Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Porto, Rua Anibal Cunha, 164, 4099 030 Porto, Portugal
Toxicology 289:52-8. 2011....
- Lipoic acid stimulates cAMP production in T lymphocytes and NK cellsR V Schillace
Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 354:259-64. 2007..This novel mechanism of action is highly relevant to the immunomodulatory effects of LA and provides further support for the study of LA as a therapeutic agent for multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases...
- Prevention of Complications in ThalassemiaElliott P Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..Ourmissionalsoincludesmonitorinbgloodsafety amongtransfusion-dependtehnatlassemipaatientsa,ndprovidingoutreachand educationservicestoallat-riskpopulationtshroughoutht estate. ..
- Dose Ranging study of the Effects of Alpha Acid on Oxidative StressPamela Ouyang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will determine the effective dose that should be studied in future larger studies powered to evaluate whether alpha lipoic acid therapy improves vascular function. ..
- Anti-Inflammatory Interventions in Maintenance Hemodialysis PatientsTalat Alp Ikizler; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Alpha Lipoic Acid Derivatives for Treatment of HypertensionDESIKAN RAJAGOPAL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The outcomes of this study will help to further advance the commercial development of such molecules. ..
- Multifunctional PEG Hydrogel Nano/Microparticles for Targeted Treatment of NSCLCPatrick J Sinko; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Suppression of Mutagenesis with AntioxidantsWILFREDO HERNANDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will test the protection against mutations and DNA damage, which is a precursor to mutations. If antioxidants work, they may be used to reduce risk of cancer and other diseases typical of old age. ..
- RICKETTSIA RICKETTSII IN HUMAN ENDOTHELIAL CELLSDavid Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- REACTIVE NITROGEN & CEREBRAL ISCHEMIC INJURYMUSH KHAN; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- VASCULAR DISEASE IN DIABETIC NEUROPATHYMark Yorek; Fiscal Year: 2003..In summary, these studies will provide us with a better understanding of the etiology of DN and improved treatments for preventing the diabetes-induced changes in vascular and neural function. ..
- Painful HIV Neuropathy: Treatment with Alpha-Lipoic AcidJ Mann; Fiscal Year: 2004..Possible benefits of the study to patients with HIV-associated painful neuropathy include reduction in pain and disability, reduced use of medications and enhanced cellular metabolism. ..
- THERAPEUTIC ROLE OF ANTIOXIDANTS IN LEAD POISONINGNuran Ercal; Fiscal Year: 2000..In addition, the proposal may offer insights into our understanding of the mechanisms of enantiomeric selectivity of thiols in general. ..
- Oxidant Stress and Antioxidants during HIV TherapyTodd Hulgan; Fiscal Year: 2007..The candidate's long-term goal is to develop into an independent clinical investigator in this field of study. ..
- GLOBOID CELL LEUKODYSTROPHYAvtar Singh; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMNATASHA NESBITT; Fiscal Year: 2005Lipoic acid, 6,8,-thioctic acid, is a key component of many multienzyme complexes that are essential in primary metabolism. It is found in most prokaryotes and eukaryotes as well as plant and animal tissue...
- Lipoic Acid and Insulin ResistanceIra Goldfine; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Targeting Antioxidant Therapy to Cardiac MitochondriaEVAN ABEL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Once efficacy is determined, promising reagents can then be subjected to pharmacokinetic and toxicological analysis following systemic administration. ..
- SBIR TOPIC NCCAM: 001 R AND RS-ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID ANALYTICAL METHODS VALIDATIONDeanna Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- Fish oil & alpha lipoic acid in mild Alzheimer's diseaseLynne Shinto; Fiscal Year: 2004..Compliance of fish oil supplementation will be assessed by red blood cell membrane fatty acid analysis. ..
- Immune restoration by lipoic acid in AIDSRAXIT JARIWALLA; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed research will show whether GSH augmentation by ALA increases CD4+ cell number and T cell function and reduces viral load in subjects unresponsive to antiretroviral therapy. ..
- Glycogen Synthase Kinase-3 and Muscle Insulin ResistanceERIK HENRIKSEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Antioxidant Functions of Lipoic AcidJames May; Fiscal Year: 2004..Despite the widespread use of lipoic acid, these studies are necessary to establish the biological basis and rationale for the clinical use of the agent. ..
- DELAYING MITOCHONDRIAL DECAY WITH CARNITINE AND LIPOATEBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- QUANTITATIVE METALLOPROTEOMICS: THE HUMAN ERYTHROCYTEBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- MALDI-TOF MASS SPECTROMETERBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Antioxidant vitamins in models of Alzheimer's DiseaseJames May; Fiscal Year: 2008..If antioxidant vitamins ameliorate toxicity in cell and animal models of Alzheimer's disease, then oxidant stress is involved in disease progression, and antioxidant vitamin supplements may be beneficial. ..
- Lipoic Acid, Endothelial Activation and AtherosclerosisWeijian Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Mitochondrial Nutrients Protect RPE from Oxidant DamageBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2006..This in vitro analysis of mitochondrial nutrients may provide the basis for the development of therapeutic agents that can prevent and/or reduce the retinal and RPE pathophysiology observed in AMD. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Antioxidant Interaction of Selenium and Vitamins C & EJames May; Fiscal Year: 2008..Using this approach, it will be possible to relate the crucial, mitochondrial functions of selenium and vitamins C and E to the antioxidant defenses of the whole animal. ..
- DO HIGH DOSE B VITAMINS DELAY AGE-RELATED DECAYBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Mitochondrial Metabiolites to Treat Parkinson's DiseaseBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2005..This project on PD is a new direction for our work on preventing mitochondrial decay and could lead to an effective and cost efficient prevention /therapy for PD. ..
- PLACENTAL VITAMIN TRANSPORT-MOLECULAR & CELLULAR ASPECTSPuttur Prasad; Fiscal Year: 2003..Proposed studies will also investigate the regulation of SVCT2 expression in rat placenta and BeWo cells in response to substrate availability and ontogenic development of SVCT2 in rat placenta. ..
- Tuning-Up Human MetabolismBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2005..Previous results showed that high doses of key mitochondrial metabolites delay mitochondrial decay and involve Km. 4) Minimizing DNA damage and cancer by optimizing micronutrient levels, particularly in the elderly. ..
- Metalloproteome of the Aging Rat Brain MitochondriaBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, this work has significant potential to integrate numerous aspects of mitochondrial metabolism and physiology and reveal novel opportunities for combating aging-related decline. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EPIGALLOCATECHIN GALLATE AS A NEUROPROTECTANT IN A MODEL OF MULTIPLE SCLEROSISGail Marracci; Fiscal Year: 2007..The purpose of this research is to provide the groundwork necessary to develop EGCG as a novel neuroprotective treatment for the human disease, multiple sclerosis. ..
- Can dynamic pupillography and/or spectral analysis of heart rate variability provSolomon Tesfaye; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Taurine and Painful Diabetic NeuropathyMartin Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will test a novel mechanistically based therapeutic approach to a common disabling and often-refractory complication of diabetes. ..
- DYSREGULATION OF THE TAURINE TRANSPORTER IN DIABETESMartin Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2002..As an alternative, if in aim 1 little correlation between hTT mRNA abundance and hTT activity is found, then glucose mediated post-translational modifications will be examined. ..
- Use of host derived lipoate by Listeria monocytogenesMARY O RIORDAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, the characterization of Lm mutants that are defective in intracellular growth will provide new candidates for live vaccine development and may identify new targets for anti-microbial therapeutics. ..
- Retinal Oxygenation in Diabetic RetinopathyBRUCE BERKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these studies could lead to the development of a non-invasive real time method for the early evaluation of diabetic retinopathy and its treatment. ..
- Redox Control of Radiation ResponseJohn Biaglow; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, we hope to develop specific strategies for modifying thiol redox homeostasis in vivo, to make human tumors more sensitive to ionizing radiation. ..
- ALUMINUM/IRON INTERACTIONS IN NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASEStephen Bondy; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together, these five objectives delineate a research strategy that will allow resolution of the seemingly contradictory evidence relating aluminum to neurological degeneration. ..
- Adjuvant Therapy for Vascular Inflammation in DiabetesSushil Jain; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Reducing Renal TGF-B in Diabetic GlomerulosclerosisMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- AGE RELATED NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES IN MICRONESIADouglas Galasko; Fiscal Year: 2006..Subproject by Lee: 'PHF-tau in neurodegenerative diseases of Guam' will assess oxidative markers related to brain lesions in ALS, PDC and dementia. ..
- Evaluation of Antioxidant Suppl in Focal CNS IschemiaWayne Clark; Fiscal Year: 2003..The information obtained from this project will be critical in planning future clinical stroke trials involving these agents. ..
- North Carolina Needs Assessment for Oral Cancer ControlLauren Patton; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Point-of-Care Measurement of Glycated HemoglobinMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Anti-Trypanosomal Agents from a Neotropical CloudforestWILLIAM SETZER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term benefit of this research project is the development of new medicines to treat patients with Chagas disease. ..
- Ketosis, Vascular Inflammation and Its Therapy in Type 1 Diabetic PatientsSushil K Jain; Fiscal Year: 2010..The long-term goal is to understand the role of ketosis in CVD and to discover a relatively low-cost dietary supplement that could be used as an adjuvant therapy for CVD prevention in type 1 diabetes. ..
- MECHANISM OF E. COLI PYRUVATE DEHYDROGENASE COMPLEX-E1Frank Jordan; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MR STUDIES OF EXPERIMENTAL RETINOPATHY OF PREMATURITYBRUCE BERKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..This work may have broad impact beyond ROP since abnormal blood vessel growth is a common pathobiologic event for other blinding disorders, such as diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Localized Bioimpedance in Neuromuscular DiseaseSEWARD RUTKOVE; Fiscal Year: 2006..As part of this aim, a prototype device for easy use will be developed and tested in the clinical setting. ..
- Oxidative Damage in Smokers and Passive SmokersGladys Block; Fiscal Year: 2003..smokers 6) To determine the level of vitamin C required by smokers to attain the plasma vitamin C levels of non-smokers 7) To study the effect of supplemental vitamin C or antioxidant cocktail on other plasma antioxidants ..
- Alzheimer's Disease in Down Syndrome: Antioxidant TrialIra Lott; Fiscal Year: 2005..The pilot trial should also contribute information as to the possible role of antioxidants in the treatment or prevention of AD in the general population. ..
- Manganese-enhanced MRI Studies of Retinal NeovascularizationBRUCE BERKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2008..The novel methods in this application will also contribute to the advancement of functional MRI for the study of retinal diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HPLC DETECTION OF RADICAL INTERMEDIATESDetcho Stoyanovsky; Fiscal Year: 2002..The method is expected to display several orders of magnitude higher sensitivity than then traditional ESR spin trapping technique and may be a new approach in assays of oxidative stress. ..
- Spanish Translation and Validation of Sleep MeasuresCarol Baldwin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ambulatory Foot Temperature in Diabetic NeuropathySEWARD RUTKOVE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, the results obtained in this work may justify the use of ambulatory foot temperature monitoring in DN clinical trials, both as a screening tool for early disease and as an outcome measure. ..
- Development of a Diagnostic Test for Alzheimer's DiseaseMark Lovell; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LDL Modification in Diabetic ComplicationsMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neurodegenration and Mitochnodrial Dysfunction in AgingStephen Bondy; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is also likely to be relevant to slowing the onset of, and reducing the incidence of, several neurodegenerative diseases where age is a major co-factor. [unreadable] [unreadable]..