Genomes and Genes
Summary: Compounds based on 5,6,7,8-tetrahydrofolate.
Publications186 found, 100 shown here
- Cellular folate vitamer distribution during and after correction of vitamin B12 deficiency: a case for the methylfolate trapY M Smulders
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Cardiovascular Research ICaR VU, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Haematol 132:623-9. 2006..This is the first time that virtually all features of the methylfolate trap hypothesis have been demonstrated in a human with vitamin B12 deficiency...
- Tetrahydrofolate and tetrahydromethanopterin compared: functionally distinct carriers in C1 metabolismB E Maden
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Life Sciences Building, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 7ZB, U K
Biochem J 350:609-29. 2000....
- Cerebral folate deficiencyKeith Hyland
Medical Neurogenetics, Atlanta, GA 30338, USA
J Inherit Metab Dis 33:563-70. 2010....
- Embryonic folate metabolism and mouse neural tube defectsA Fleming
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Science 280:2107-9. 1998..These data support a direct normalization of neurulation by folic acid in humans and suggest a metabolic basis for folate action...
- Cofactor-dependent pathways of formaldehyde oxidation in methylotrophic bacteriaJulia A Vorholt
Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire des relations Plantes Microorganismes, INRA CNRS, BP27, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Arch Microbiol 178:239-49. 2002..The pathways are in part also used by other organisms to provide C(1) units for biosynthetic reactions (e.g., H(4)F-dependent enzymes) or detoxification of formaldehyde (e.g., GSH-dependent enzymes)...
- [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate increases plasma folate more effectively than folic acid in women with the homozygous or wild-type 677C-->T polymorphism of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductaseR Prinz-Langenohl
Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Human Nutrition II, Pathophysiology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 158:2014-21. 2009..The metabolism of [6S]-5-MTHF and FA was evaluated by measuring plasma folate derivatives...
- Autoantibodies to folate receptors in the cerebral folate deficiency syndromeVincent T Ramaekers
Division of Pediatric Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Aachen, Aachen, Germany
N Engl J Med 352:1985-91. 2005..Cerebral folate deficiency is a disorder in which autoantibodies can prevent the transfer of folate from the plasma to the cerebrospinal fluid...
- Chloromethane: tetrahydrofolate methyl transfer by two proteins from Methylobacterium chloromethanicum strain CM4A Studer
, ETH-Zentrum, , Switzerland
Eur J Biochem 268:2931-8. 2001..27 microM and a Vmax of 0.45 U x mg(-1). This contrasts with sequence-related systems for methyl transfer from methanogens, which involve methyltransferase and corrinoid protein components in well-defined stoichiometric ratios...
- The methylation, neurotransmitter, and antioxidant connections between folate and depressionAlan L Miller
Thorne Research, PO Box 25, Dover, ID 83825, USA
Altern Med Rev 13:216-26. 2008..Correcting the insufficiency by dosing folate along with the SSRI results in a significantly better antidepressant response...
- 5,10-Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase genotype determines the plasma homocysteine-lowering effect of supplementation with 5-methyltetrahydrofolate or folic acid in healthy young womenIris P Fohr
Department of Pathophysiology of Human Nutrition, Institute of Nutritional Science, University of Bonn, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 75:275-82. 2002..Supplementation with folic acid (FA) decreases plasma tHcy, but limited data are available on the effect of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (MTHF)...
- Rescue of embryonic lethality in reduced folate carrier-deficient mice by maternal folic acid supplementation reveals early neonatal failure of hematopoietic organsR Zhao
Departments of Medicine and Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 276:10224-8. 2001..In addition, there was some impairment of renal and seminiferous tubule development. These data indicate that in the absence of RFC1 function, neonatal animals die due to failure of hematopoietic organs...
- Reduced folate transport to the CNS in female Rett patientsV T Ramaekers
Division of Pediatric Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Aachen, Germany
Neurology 61:506-15. 2003..Because diminished turnover may result from CNS folate depletion, the authors studied transport of folate across the blood-brain barrier...
- Brief report: autistic symptoms, developmental regression, mental retardation, epilepsy, and dyskinesias in CNS folate deficiencyPaolo Moretti
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 38:1170-7. 2008..These findings demonstrate that autistic features are salient in CFD and suggest that a subset of children with developmental regression, mental retardation, seizures, dyskinesia, and autism may have CNS folate abnormalities...
- Psychomotor retardation, spastic paraplegia, cerebellar ataxia and dyskinesia associated with low 5-methyltetrahydrofolate in cerebrospinal fluid: a novel neurometabolic condition responding to folinic acid substitutionV T Ramaekers
Division of Paediatric Neurology, Department of Paediatrics, University Hospital Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Neuropediatrics 33:301-8. 2002..The folate receptor-1 (FR 1) protein is localized at the basolateral surface of the choroid plexus, which is characterized by a high binding affinity for circulating 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF)...
- Cerebral folate deficiency with developmental delay, autism, and response to folinic acidP Moretti
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neurology 64:1088-90. 2005..Folate and B12 levels were normal in peripheral tissues, suggesting cerebral folate deficiency. Treatment with folinic acid corrected CSF abnormalities and improved motor skills...
- Characterization of folate uptake by choroid plexus epithelial cells in a rat primary culture modelJan B Wollack
Department of Pediatrics, Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
J Neurochem 104:1494-503. 2008..This is consistent with the role we have proposed for proton-coupled folate transporter in FRalpha-mediated transport as the mechanism of export of folates from the endocytic compartment containing FRalpha...
- Juvenile onset central nervous system folate deficiency and rheumatoid arthritisMary Kay Koenig
University of Texas Medical School at Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Child Neurol 23:106-7. 2008..Whereas her serum folate exceeded 21 ng/mL, her spinal fluid contained 3.2 ng/mL of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate as a consequence of the autoantibodies diminishing the uptake of this folate...
- Methenyltetrahydrofolate cyclohydrolase is rate limiting for the enzymatic conversion of 10-formyltetrahydrofolate to 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate in bifunctional dehydrogenase-cyclohydrolase enzymesP D Pawelek
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biochemistry 37:1109-15. 1998..These results imply that essentially all of the methenylH4folate produced by the cyclohydrolase in the reverse reaction is channeled to the dehydrogenase...
- Binding and interconversion of tetrahydrofolates at a single site in the bifunctional methylenetetrahydrofolate dehydrogenase/cyclohydrolaseJ N Pelletier
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biochemistry 34:12673-80. 1995..The results of the binding and kinetic studies indicate that the bifunctional nature of the methyleneH4folate dehydrogenase/methenylH4folate cyclohdrolase domain is designed to optimize the overall reverse reactions in vivo...
- Functional promiscuity of the COG0720 familyGabriela Phillips
Department of Microbiology and Cell Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, 32611, United States
ACS Chem Biol 7:197-209. 2012..This study reveals an expanded versatility of the COG0720 family members and illustrates that for certain protein families extensive comparative genomic analysis beyond homology is required to correctly predict function...
- Characterization of Plasmodium falciparum serine hydroxymethyltransferase-A potential antimalarial targetSomchart Maenpuen
Department of Biochemistry and Center for Excellence in Protein Structure and Function, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rama 6 Road, Bangkok, Thailand
Mol Biochem Parasitol 168:63-73. 2009..Kinetic data in combination with expression result support the proposal of SHMT reaction being a regulatory step for dTMP cycle. This finding suggests that PfSHMT can be a potential target for antimalarial chemotherapy...
- Catalytic and ligand-binding characteristics of Plasmodium falciparum serine hydroxymethyltransferaseCullen K T Pang
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 168:74-83. 2009..coli but found to be inactive. This protein, nor DHFR-TS, enhanced the catalytic activity of PfSHMT. The present results set the stage for developing specific, potent inhibitors of SHMT from P. falciparum...
- Tetrahydrofolate-specific enzymes in Methanosarcina barkeri and growth dependence of this methanogenic archaeon on folic acid or p-aminobenzoic acidBärbel Buchenau
Max Planck Institut für Terrestrische Mikrobiologie and Laboratorium für Mikrobiologie, Fachbereich Biologie, Philipps Universitat, Karl von Frisch Strasse, Marburg, Germany
Arch Microbiol 182:313-25. 2004..The presence of both H4SPT and H4F in M. barkeri is in agreement with earlier isotope labeling studies indicating that there are two separate C1 pools in these methanogens...
- Mitochondrial complex I encephalomyopathy and cerebral 5-methyltetrahydrofolate deficiencyV T Ramaekers
Division of Pediatric Neurology, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Germany
Neuropediatrics 38:184-7. 2007..Treatment with folinic acid in addition to supplementation with radical scavengers and cofactors of deficient respiratory enzymes can result in partial clinical improvement and reversal of abnormal myelination patterns on neuro-imaging...
- Folate receptor autoimmunity and cerebral folate deficiency in low-functioning autism with neurological deficitsV T Ramaekers
Division of Child Neurology, University Hospital Liege, Belgium
Neuropediatrics 38:276-81. 2007..Early detection of FR autoantibodies may be a key factor in the prevention and therapeutic intervention among this subgroup of patients with autism...
- Mitochondrial diseases associated with cerebral folate deficiencyA Garcia-Cazorla
Neurology Department, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, Universitat de Barcelona, Passeig Sant Joan de Deu, 2, 08950 Esplugues, Barcelona, Spain
Neurology 70:1360-2. 2008
- Cerebral folate deficiency: life-changing supplementation with folinic acidFlemming Juul Hansen
Division of Pediatric Neurology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mol Genet Metab 84:371-3. 2005..This report demonstrates the importance of CSF investigation in the diagnosis of cerebral folate deficiency and efficiency of folinic acid (5-formyltetrahydrofolate) supplementation...
- Comparison of the effect of low-dose supplementation with L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate or folic acid on plasma homocysteine: a randomized placebo-controlled studyBernard J Venn
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Am J Clin Nutr 77:658-62. 2003..Synthetic L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate (L-MTHF) may be more appropriate than folic acid as a fortificant because it is unlikely to mask the hematologic indicators of vitamin B-12 deficiency...
- Use of the affinity/HPLC method for quantitative estimation of folic acid in enriched cereal-grain productsRosalia Póo-Prieto
Vitamin Metabolism Laboratory and Nutritional Epidemiology Program, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA
J Nutr 136:3079-83. 2006..0 and 5.7% and, run over 5 consecutive days, was 7.2 and 7.3%, respectively. Total folate values in 45 samples of fortified food measured by HPLC and by the traditional microbiological assay demonstrated a high correlation (r(2) = 0.986)...
- Reduced levels of folate transporters (PCFT and RFC) in membrane lipid rafts result in colonic folate malabsorption in chronic alcoholismNissar Ahmad Wani
Department of Biochemistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Cell Physiol 226:579-87. 2011..Hence, we propose that downregulation in the expression of the PCFT and the RFC in colon results in reduced levels of these transporters in colon apical membrane LR as a mechanism of folate malabsorption during chronic alcoholism...
- Interaction of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate and tetrahydrobiopterin on endothelial functionMathew Eric Hyndman
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 282:H2167-72. 2002..superoxide) production and improve endothelial function. 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate may represent an important strategy for intervention aimed at improving tetrahydrobiopterin bioavailability...
- Folic acid reverts dysfunction of endothelial nitric oxide synthaseE S Stroes
Department of Vascular Medicine, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Circ Res 86:1129-34. 2000....
- Cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase mediates competition between folate-dependent deoxyribonucleotide and S-adenosylmethionine biosynthesesKatherine Herbig
Cornell University, Division of Nutritional Sciences, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Biol Chem 277:38381-9. 2002..These results indicate that cSHMT is a metabolic switch that, when activated, gives dTMP synthesis higher metabolic priority than SAM synthesis...
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae expresses two genes encoding isozymes of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductaseR K Raymond
The Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, 78712, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 372:300-8. 1999..Assays for MTHFR in crude extracts and expression of the yeast proteins in Escherichia coli verified that both MET12 and MET13 encode functional MTHFR isozymes...
- Folate malabsorption is associated with down-regulation of folate transporter expression and function at colon basolateral membrane in ratsNissar Ahmad Wani
Department of Biochemistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160 012, India
Br J Nutr 107:800-8. 2012..Moreover, folate transporters were associated with lipid rafts (LR) of colon BLM, and chronic alcoholism decreased the association of these transporters with LR...
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase from Escherichia coli: elucidation of the kinetic mechanism by steady-state and rapid-reaction studiesE E Trimmer
Department of Biological Chemistry and Biophysics Research Division, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1055, USA
Biochemistry 40:6205-15. 2001..We conclude that studies of individual half-reactions catalyzed by E. coli MTHFR may be used to probe mechanistic questions relevant to the overall oxidoreductase reactions...
- Effect of folate derivatives on the activity of antifolate drugs used against malaria and cancerEunice Nduati
Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Collaborative Research Program, PO Box 230, 80108 Kilifi, Kenya
Parasitol Res 102:1227-34. 2008..For instance, the combination of 5-Me-THF with a low dose of TMX could be used to treat malaria. In addition, the safety of a low dose of MTX in the treatment of arthritis indicates that this drug could be used alone to treat malaria...
- Mutagenesis of folylpolyglutamate synthetase indicates that dihydropteroate and tetrahydrofolate bind to the same siteYi Sheng
Department of Medical Genetics and Microbiology, University of Toronto, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Biochemistry 47:2388-96. 2008..This suggests that the 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate binding site identified in the L. casei ternary structure may bind diglutamate and polyglutamate folate derivatives...
- Controlled comparison of L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate versus folic acid for the treatment of hyperhomocysteinemia in hemodialysis patientsA G Bostom
Division of General Internal Medicine, Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island, Pawtucket 02860, USA
Circulation 101:2829-32. 2000..We evaluated whether a high-dose L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate-based regimen provided improved total homocysteine (tHcy)-lowering efficacy in chronic hemodialysis patients...
- Genetic and metabolic analysis of folate salvage in the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparumPing Wang
Department of Biomolecular Sciences, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, P O Box 88, Manchester M60 1QD, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 135:77-87. 2004..This would mirror earlier studies indicating that the DHFR activity of HB3 is also compromised relative to other variants...
- Folate administration increases n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in rat plasma and tissue lipidsM L Pita
Departamento de Bioquimica Medica y Biologia Molecular, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
Thromb Haemost 84:420-3. 2000..It is well known that n-3 PUFA show antithrombotic properties. Thus, the increase of n-3 PUFA observed after MTHF administration might contribute to the prevention of vascular disorders...
- Red blood cell folate concentrations increase more after supplementation with [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate than with folic acid in women of childbearing ageYvonne Lamers
Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Pathophysiology of Nutrition, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 84:156-61. 2006..The biologically active derivate [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate ([6S]-5-MTHF) could be an alternative to folic acid...
- Can 5-methyltetrahydrofolate modify the phospholipid fatty acid pattern in cystic fibrosis pediatric patients?Cinzia Scambi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Verona, Chair of Internal Medicine B, 37134 Verona, Italy
J Cyst Fibros 5:197-9. 2006..We describe a CF child with an unusual clinical course presenting high molar percentage of DHA in plasma and red cells membrane during supplementation with 5-methyltetrahydrofolate and vitamin B12...
- A mathematical model of the folate cycle: new insights into folate homeostasisH Frederik Nijhout
Departments of Biology and Mathematics, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Biol Chem 279:55008-16. 2004..In the presence of folate binding and allosteric inhibition, the velocities show a remarkable constancy as total folate is decreased...
- A role for tetrahydrofolates in the metabolism of iron-sulfur clusters in all domains of lifeJeffrey C Waller
Horticultural Sciences, Food Science and Human Nutrition, Microbiology and Cell Science Departments, and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, and McKnight Brain Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:10412-7. 2010..lacking pterins and depleted in dihydrofolate) and gcvP glyA mutants (lacking one-carbon tetrahydrofolates) had intermediate MiaB activities...
- 6-pyruvoyltetrahydropterin synthase paralogs replace the folate synthesis enzyme dihydroneopterin aldolase in diverse bacteriaAnne Pribat
Horticultural Sciences Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
J Bacteriol 191:4158-65. 2009....
- Tetrahydrofolate and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate are folates with high antioxidant activity. Identification of the antioxidant pharmacophoreBashir M Rezk
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiteit Maastricht, P O Box 616, NL 6200 MD, Maastricht, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 555:601-5. 2003..A similar electron donating effect is probably important for the antioxidant activity of THF and 5-MTHF...
- Effect of folic Acid supplementation on the folate status of buccal mucosa and lymphocytesGraham P Basten
Human Nutrition Unit, University of Sheffield, Coleridge House, Northern General Hospital, United Kingdom
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:1244-9. 2004..Methods have been developed for the rapid measurement of lymphocyte and buccal mucosal total folate. Lymphocyte folate is sensitive to folate intake and is reflected by plasma 5-MeTHF...
- Folate: in vitro and in vivo effects on VLDL and LDL oxidationJane McEneny
Nutrition and Metabolism Group, Centre for Clinical and Population Sciences, Queen s University, Belfast, UK
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 77:66-72. 2007..These findings provide further support for the use of folic acid supplements to aid in the prevention of atherosclerosis...
- [6S]5-methyltetrahydrofolate or folic acid supplementation and absorption and initial elimination of folate in young and middle-aged adultsK de Meer
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Institute for Cardiovascular Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:1409-16. 2005..To assess the effects of supplementation with the diastereoisomer of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate ([6S]5-methylTHF), as an alternative supplement for folic acid, on folate absorption and elimination, in two age groups...
- Hyperproliferation of homocysteine-treated colon cancer cells is reversed by folate and 5-methyltetrahydrofolateBora Akoglu
2nd Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Nutr 43:93-9. 2004..Hyperhomocysteinemia is frequently associated with folate deficiency. Homocysteine, an amino acid, is metabolized to methionine in a 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) dependent reaction...
- Uptake of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate into PC-3 human prostate cancer cells is carrier-mediatedDonald W Horne
Medical Research Service 151, VA Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
J Nutr Biochem 14:473-9. 2003..These results show that 5-methyltetrahydrofolate is transported into PC-3 prostate cancer cells by a carrier-mediated process...
- The short-term bioavailabilities of [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate and folic acid are equivalent in menKristina Pentieva
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland BT52 1SA
J Nutr 134:580-5. 2004..Supplementation with the natural folate derivative could have all the beneficial effects associated with FA, but without the potential disadvantage of masking the anemia of vitamin B-12 deficiency...
- Vitamin B12 and methionine synthesis: a critical review. Is nature's most beautiful cofactor misunderstood?John I Toohey
Cytoregulation Research, Elgin, Ontario, Canada KOG 1EO
Biofactors 26:45-57. 2006..The rearranged product is readily degraded to CH3-SH, providing a mechanism for removing toxic homocysteine...
- Role of an invariant lysine residue in folate binding on Escherichia coli thymidylate synthase: calorimetric and crystallographic analysis of the K48Q mutantAldo A Arvizu-Flores
Aquatic Molecular Biology Laboratory, Centro de Investigacion en Alimentacion y Desarrollo, A C Hermosillo, Sonora 83000, Mexico
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40:2206-17. 2008..In conclusion, K48 is critical for catalysis since it leads to a productive CH(2)THF binding, while mutation at this residue does not affect much the binding of inhibitors that do not make contact with this group...
- [Smoking influence on the level of homocysteine and 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid in active and non smokers]Marcin Marszałł
Katedra i Zakład Toksykologii, Akademia Medyczna w Gdansku
Przegl Lek 64:685-8. 2007..We also investigated the negative influence of tobacco smoke on the level of folic acid in plasma and it suggests, that additional supplementation of folic acid in smokers is necessary...
- Red cell N5-methyltetrahydrofolate concentrations and C677T methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase genotype in patients with strokeG C Icke
Division of Laboratory Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, GPO Box X2213, Perth WA 6847, Australia
J Clin Pathol 57:54-7. 2004..To investigate the relation between total red cell folate, red cell N(5)-methyltetrahydrofolate (N(5)MTHF) concentrations, and N(5)N(10)-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) genotypes in stroke...
- Responses of biomarkers of folate and riboflavin status to folate and riboflavin supplementation in healthy and colorectal polyp patients (the FAB2 Study)Hilary J Powers
Human Nutrition Unit, Section of Oncology, University of Sheffield, UK
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:2128-35. 2007..Colorectal mucosal folate concentration responds to folic acid supplementation to an extent comparable to that seen in plasma, but with a suggestion of an upper limit...
- Homocysteine lowering: any use in atherosclerosis?Charalambos Antoniades
Hellenic J Cardiol 48:249-51. 2007
- Spinal fluid 5-methyltetrahydrofolate levels are normal in Rett syndromeJ L Neul
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neurology 64:2151-2. 2005
- Flavin-dependent thymidylate synthase ThyX activity: implications for the folate cycle in bacteriaDamien Leduc
Inserm Avenir Group, Institut de Génétique et de Microbiologie, CNRS UMR8621, F 91405 Orsay, France
J Bacteriol 189:8537-45. 2007..In addition, our observations suggest that the presence of flavin-dependent thymidylate synthase X provides growth benefits under conditions in which the level of reduced folate derivatives is compromised...
- Simultaneous quantification of homocysteine and folate in human serum or plasma using liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometryBryant C Nelson
Analytical Chemistry Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899 0001, USA
Anal Chem 77:3586-93. 2005....
- Increased expression and characterization of two distinct folate binding proteins in murine erythroleukemia cellsK E Brigle
Department of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond 23298
Biochem Pharmacol 47:337-45. 1994..These lines provide a model system in which to examine the biochemical characteristics of the individual folate binding proteins without the potential problems associated with expression of proteins in dissimilar cell lines...
- Distribution of 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (C667T) polymorphism and its association with red blood cell 5-methyltetrahydrofolate in the healthy IraniansJ Golbahar
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Clin Nutr 24:83-7. 2005....
- Association of low red blood cell folate concentrations with coronary artery disease in Iranians: a matched case-control studyJamal Golbahar
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Cardiovascular Unit, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran
J Vasc Res 42:325-30. 2005....
- High folic acid increases cell turnover and lowers differentiation and iron content in human HT29 colon cancer cellsLinette Pellis
RIKILT Institute of Food Safety, PO Box 230, 6700 AE Wageningen, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 99:703-8. 2008..The lower expression of genes related to Fe metabolism at 100 ng folic acid/ml was confirmed by lower intracellular Fe levels in the cells exposed to folic acid at 100 ng/ml. This suggests an effect of folate on Fe metabolism...
- Ontogeny of hepatic enzymes involved in serine- and folate-dependent one-carbon metabolism in rabbitsH R Thompson
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO 80218, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 280:G873-8. 2001..Throughout development, there are multiple potential sources for production of 5,10-MTHF, but early in gestation high MTHFR activity and low MTHFS activity could reduce 5,10-MTHF availability...
- Commutability of NIST SRM 1955 Homocysteine and Folate in Frozen Human Serum with selected total homocysteine immunoassays and enzymatic assaysBryant C Nelson
National Institute of Standards and Technology, Biochemical Science Division, Gaithersburg, MD 20899 0001, USA
Clin Chim Acta 395:99-105. 2008..NIST has performed an international, interlaboratory assessment of SRM 1955 commutability; results are reported for tHcy only...
- Associations between two common variants C677T and A1298C in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene and measures of folate metabolism and DNA stability (strand breaks, misincorporated uracil, and DNA methylation status) in human lymphocytes in vivoSabrina Narayanan
Division of Cellular Integrity, Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:1436-43. 2004....
- Folic acid rescues nitric oxide-induced neural tube closure defectsM Weil
Cell Death Differ 11:361-3. 2004
- The folate receptor alpha is frequently overexpressed in osteosarcoma samples and plays a role in the uptake of the physiologic substrate 5-methyltetrahydrofolateRui Yang
Department of Pediatrics and Molecular Pharmacology, The Albert Einstein College of Medicine, The Children s Hospital at Montefiore, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:2557-67. 2007..Although defective RFC-mediated transport was frequently identified as a mechanism of methotrexate (MTX) resistance in osteosarcoma, the status of FR and its role in this disease are unknown...
- Folate improves endothelial function in patients with coronary heart diseaseSagar Doshi
Cardiovascular Sciences Research Group, Wales Heart Research Institute, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Clin Chem Lab Med 41:1505-12. 2003..The discordance with changes in plasma homocysteine suggests that these effects may occur by mechanisms distinct from homocysteine lowering...
- Probing electrostatic channeling in protozoal bifunctional thymidylate synthase-dihydrofolate reductase using site-directed mutagenesisChloe E Atreya
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Biol Chem 278:28901-11. 2003..One mutant, K282E/R283E, was found to be thymidylate synthase-dead because of an impaired ability to form the covalent enzyme-methylene tetrahydrofolate-deoxyuridate complex prerequisite for chemical catalysis...
- Supplementation with [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate or folic acid equally reduces plasma total homocysteine concentrations in healthy womenYvonne Lamers
Institute of Nutritional Science, Department of Pathophysiology of Human Nutrition, University of Bonn, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 79:473-8. 2004..The biologically active [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate ([6S]-5-MTHF) may be an alternative to folic acid because it is unlikely to mask vitamin B-12 deficiency symptoms...
- Nonconserved residues Ala287 and Ser290 of the Cryptosporidium hominis thymidylate synthase domain facilitate its rapid rate of catalysisLanxuan T Doan
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Biochemistry 46:8379-91. 2007..The kinetic and crystal structure data presented here provide the first evidence explaining the unusually fast TS rate in C. hominis...
- Transport of 5-formyltetrahydrofolate into primary cultured rat astrocytesSongmin Cai
Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 410:161-6. 2003..It is concluded that astrocytes have a system for the uptake of 5-FTHF and folate analogs which is carrier mediated, this system is sensitive to energy inhibitors and alcohol exposure...
- Folate status and risk of colorectal polyps in African AmericansH Ashktorab
Cancer Center and Department of Medicine, Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC 20060, USA
Dig Dis Sci 52:1462-70. 2007..Smoking and alcohol consumption were found to be risk factors for colon polyps. APC gene-promoter sequence methylation found in peripheral blood may be an indicator of risk for polyp formation and an important screening tool...
- A comparison of folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate for prevention of DNA damage and cell death in human lymphocytes in vitroXu Wang
School of Life Sciences, Yunnan Normal University, Kunming, Yunnan, 650092, People s Republic of China
Mutagenesis 18:81-6. 2003....
- Consideration of betaine and one-carbon sources of N5-methyltetrahydrofolate for use in homocystinuria and neural tube defectsNorlin J Benevenga
Department of Animal Sciences and Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:946-9. 2007....
- Multiple mechanisms of resistance to methotrexate and novel antifolates in human CCRF-CEM leukemia cells and their implications for folate homeostasisRobert Mauritz
Department of Medical Oncology, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biochem Pharmacol 63:105-15. 2002....
- Life without dihydrofolate reductase FolAHannu Myllykallio
Institut de Génétique et Microbiologie CNRS UMR8621, Universite de Paris Sud, Orsay, France
Trends Microbiol 11:220-3. 2003....
- Folic acid improves endothelial function in coronary artery disease via mechanisms largely independent of homocysteine loweringSagar N Doshi
Cardiovascular Sciences Research Group, Wales Heart Research Institute, Department of Pharmacology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
Circulation 105:22-6. 2002..We investigated the effects of folic acid on endothelial function before a change in homocysteine in patients with CAD...
- Tight binding of folate substrates and inhibitors to recombinant mouse glycinamide ribonucleotide formyltransferaseS P Sanghani
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and the Massey Cancer Center, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Biochemistry 36:10506-16. 1997....
- Kinetic scheme for thymidylate synthase from Escherichia coli: determination from measurements of ligand binding, primary and secondary isotope effects, and pre-steady-state catalysisH T Spencer
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38101, USA
Biochemistry 36:4212-22. 1997..5) The "high-resolution" kinetic scheme described herein provides a framework for the interpretation of the kinetics of catalysis by mutant ecTS chosen to provide insights into the relationship between structure and function...
- Mefolinate (5-methyltetrahydrofolate), but not folic acid, decreases mortality in an animal model of severe methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiencyD Li
Departments of Human Genetics, Pediatrics and Biology, McGill University Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute, Montreal, Canada
J Inherit Metab Dis 31:403-11. 2008..Our study suggests that MTHFR is important for postnatal growth and vitality, and that 5-methylTHF deficiency contributes to the high postnatal mortality. Mefolinate may be a good candidate drug for treatment of severe MTHFR deficiency...
- Molecular genetic analysis of the human dihydrofolate reductase gene: relation with plasma total homocysteine, serum and red blood cell folate levelsHenkjan Gellekink
Laboratory of Paediatrics and Neurology, Department of Endocrinology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Hum Genet 15:103-9. 2007..The 19-bp del/del genotype was associated with a lower plasma tHcy (-14.4% [95% confidence interval: -23.5 to -4.5], P=0.006) compared with the wild-type genotype. This may suggest that intracellular folate levels are affected...
- In silico experimentation with a model of hepatic mitochondrial folate metabolismH Frederik Nijhout
Department of Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Theor Biol Med Model 3:40. 2006....
- The folic acid metabolite L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate effectively reduces total serum homocysteine level in orthotopic liver transplant recipients: a double-blind placebo-controlled studyB Akoglu
1st Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:796-801. 2008....
- Improvement of endothelial function in uraemic patients on peritoneal dialysis: a possible role for 5-MTHF administrationIvano Baragetti
Department of Internal Medicine, Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Bassini Hospital, Cinisello Balsamo, Milan, Italy
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:3292-7. 2007..In patients with chronic renal failure, the administration of folic acid or its metabolites reduces but does not normalize plasma homocysteine concentrations...
- Combined marginal folate and riboflavin status affect homocysteine methylation in cultured immortalized lymphocytes from persons homozygous for the MTHFR C677T mutationLori Lathrop Stern
Vitamin Metabolism and Aging Laboratory, Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nutr 133:2716-20. 2003..These data are consistent with the current understanding of the molecular interaction of the MTHFR mutant with folate substrates and the FAD prosthetic group...
- Recent advances in the study of rTS proteins. rTS expression during growth and in response to thymidylate synthase inhibitors in human tumor cellsB J Dolnick
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Adv Enzyme Regul 37:95-109. 1997..In the TS- Cl/Cl cell line, there are two mutations in TS which likely reduce affinity for N-5,10-methylene tetrahydrofolates (23)...
- Practical prevention of cardiac remodeling and atrial fibrillation with full-spectrum antioxidant therapy and ancillary strategiesMark F McCarty
NutriGuard Research, 1051 Hermes Ave, Encinitas, CA 92024, USA
Med Hypotheses 75:141-7. 2010..Mega-doses of folate can markedly increase intracellular levels of tetrahydrofolates which have potent and versatile radical-scavenging activities - including efficient quenching of ..
- Comparison of the conversion of 5-formyltetrahydrofolate and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate to 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolates and tetrahydrofolates in human colon tumorsJ A Houghton
Department of Biochemical and Clinical Pharmacology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38101
Cancer Commun 1:167-74. 1989..for their relative effects on expansion of pools of 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolates (CH2-H4PteGlun) and tetrahydrofolates (H4PteGlun) in two human colon adenocarcinoma xenografts in mice...
- Methionine, folic acid and vitamin B12 in growing-finishing pigs: impact on growth performance and meat qualityAlain Giguére
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Dairy and Swine Research and Development Centre, Sherbrooke, Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada
Arch Anim Nutr 62:193-206. 2008..01) and decreased plasma homocysteine (p < 0.01). Plasma 5-methyl-tetrahydrofolates were the lowest, highest and intermediate in V0, V1 and V2 pigs (p < 0.04), respectively...
- Folate and its preventive potential in colorectal carcinogenesis. How strong is the biological and epidemiological evidence?L Cornelius Bollheimer
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Regensburg, 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 55:13-36. 2005..BIOLOGICAL EVIDENCE: Tetrahydrofolates govern the intracellular one-carbon metabolism and account for proper DNA biosynthesis and macromolecular ..
- Homocysteine-lowering therapy and early progression of transplant vasculopathy: a prospective, randomized, IVUS-based studyLuciano Potena
Institute of Cardiology, University of Bologna, Academic Hospital, S Orsola Malpighi, Italy
Am J Transplant 5:2258-64. 2005..However, sub-group analysis suggests that folate therapy may delay CAV development only in patients with baseline hyperhomocysteinemia, while may favor CAV progression in recipients with normal baseline homocysteinemia...
- 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate inhibits photosensitization reactions and strand breaks in DNATal Offer
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, CHORI, Oakland, California, USA
FASEB J 21:2101-7. 2007..These observations suggest a new role for reduced folate in protection from ultraviolet damage and have bearing on the hypothesis that folate photodegradation influenced the evolution of human skin color...
- A binding assay for serine hydroxymethyltransferaseA M Geller
Department of Biochemistry, University of Tennessee, Memphis 38163
Anal Biochem 180:120-5. 1989..This assay represents a new and simple method for measuring serine hydroxymethyltransferase activity, which can be used to measure enzyme activity in tissue homogenates and for screening large numbers of samples...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis ketopantoate hydroxymethyltransferase: tetrahydrofolate-independent hydroxymethyltransferase and enolization reactions with alpha-keto acidsMichele Sugantino
Department of Biochemistry, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Biochemistry 42:191-9. 2003..These results are discussed in the context of steric restrictions present in the enzyme active site and the stereochemistry of base-catalyzed isotope exchange...
- Analysis of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate in human blood, serum and urine by on-line coupling of capillary isotachophoresis and zone electrophoresisPavla Pantuckova
Institute of Analytical Chemistry of the ASCR, vvi, Brno, Czech Republic
Electrophoresis 31:3391-9. 2010..7 × 10(-6) M in human urine. Estimated content of 5-MTHF in blood and serum samples of women following oral daily administration of 0.8 mg of folic acid was 1.2 × 10(-5) and 5.8 × 10(-6) M, respectively...
- Model studies on the stability of folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid degradation during thermal treatment in combination with high hydrostatic pressureMinh Thuy Nguyen
Department of Food Technology, College of Agriculture, Cantho University, Cantho, Vietnam
J Agric Food Chem 51:3352-7. 2003..A model to describe the combined pressure and temperature effect on the 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid degradation rate constant is presented...
- MOLECULAR CORRELATES OF METHOTREXATE IN CHILDHOOD ALLLarry Matherly; Fiscal Year: 2007..of expression of the human reduced folate carrier (hRFC), the membrane transport system for MTX and tetrahydrofolates, in ALL lymphoblasts, and often disproportionate to levels of MTX transport (b) elevated hRFC expression in ..
- Pharmacokinetics and Metabolic Effects of Folic AcidJUNE AYLING; Fiscal Year: 2004..acid, which is not found to a significant extent in nature, must be converted in the body to the active tetrahydrofolates via the action of dihydrofolate reductase...
- FOLATE AND B12 IN NUTRITIONAL ANEMIAS--DIETARY CONTROLDONALD HORNE; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- S-Adenosyl Methionine(SAMe)Augmentation of SSRIs in MDDGeorge Papakostas; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is hoped that this project award will provide the critical fund of basic knowledge and practical experience necessary to aid the candidate in becoming an independent investigator in this area. ..
- Folate-Genome Interactions in Colorectal CancerPATRICK STOVER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term goal of this project is: (1). to determine the mechanism whereby alterations in folate metabolism influence cancer risk. ..
- REGULATION OF FOLATE CATABOLISMPATRICK STOVER; Fiscal Year: 2007..2). to determine the risk that folate catabolism contributes to folate-associated pathologies. (3). to establish relationships between catecholamines and folate metabolism. ..
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the Treatment of DepressionDavid Mischoulon; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is hoped that this project will provide the critical fund of basic knowledge and practical experience necessary to aid the candidate in becoming an independent investigator. ..
- FASEB Summer Conference: Folate, B12 and 1C MetabolismPATRICK STOVER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Similarly, the poster sessions also highlight the activities and needs of the younger participants. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Homeostatic Regulation of Folate MetabolismPatrick J Stover; Fiscal Year: 2010..5. regulation of cSHMT by folate/choline preserves dTMP pools at the expense of AdoMet synthesis. The long-term goals of this project are: 1. to define homeostatic mechanisms used bv cells to regulate folate metabolism. ..
- Vitamin B12 Status of Elderly AmericansMARTHA MORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2003..The third aim is to evaluate the usefulness of a serum vitamin B12 cut-off point of 258 pmol/L, either as the sole indicator of vitamin B12 deficiency in the elderly, or in conjunction with anemia or an elevated metabolite level. ..
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major DepressionDavid Mischoulon; Fiscal Year: 2010..e. integrates biological findings with treatment in order to have a direct impact on the clinical practice of psychiatry. ..
- Mechanisms of Growth Inhibition by Helicobacter PylorHassan Ashktorab; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will help to establish how bacteria can increase apoptosis possibly through generation of ROS and in specific circumstances this may alter one's risk of developing cancer. ..
- Role of Cytokines and Promoter Genotype in PrematurityHyagriv Simhan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BUPROPION AS AN ADJUNCT TO THE NICOTINE PATCH PLUS CBTMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- METHYLATION PROFILING AND RISK OF COLORECTAL CANCERHassan Ashktorab; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will help in the detection and _rofiling of genetic changes in the pathway of CRC in AA. ..
- Nutrition and the Genetics of PrematurityHyagriv N Simhan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, we aim to identify how race modifies the interaction between inflammatory gene polymorphisms and nutrition on lower genital tract immunity and the risk of preterm birth. ..
- FASEB Summer Conference: Folate, B12 and 1C MetabolismJAMES FINKELSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..The format encourages discussions between the presenters and the fellows, residents and junior investigators in attendance. Similarly, the poster sessions also highlight the activities and the needs of the younger participants. ..
- Role of 10-formyldihydrofolate in purine biosynthesisTsunenobu Tamura; Fiscal Year: 2004..If this pathway is proven, derivatives of 10-HCO-H2folate could be used to inhibit de novo purine biosynthesis for developing new anticancer drugs. ..
- Controlled Study of SAMe vs.Escitalopram in Major Depressive DisorderMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2008..Secondary aims are to assess the acute effects of SAMe or escitalopram vs. placebo on remission rates, quality of life, and psychosocial functioning. ..