Genomes and Genes
Summary: A live VACCINIA VIRUS vaccine of calf lymph or chick embryo origin, used for immunization against smallpox. It is now recommended only for laboratory workers exposed to smallpox virus. Certain countries continue to vaccinate those in the military service. Complications that result from smallpox vaccination include vaccinia, secondary bacterial infections, and encephalomyelitis. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications300 found, 100 shown here
- Major increase in human monkeypox incidence 30 years after smallpox vaccination campaigns cease in the Democratic Republic of CongoAnne W Rimoin
University of California, Los Angeles School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:16262-7. 2010..Improved surveillance and epidemiological analysis is needed to better assess the public health burden and develop strategies for reducing the risk of wider spread of infection...
- Cutting edge: long-term B cell memory in humans after smallpox vaccinationShane Crotty
Emory Vaccine Center and Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Immunol 171:4969-73. 2003..In this study, we demonstrate that smallpox vaccine-specific memory B cells last for >50 years in immunized individuals...
- Proteome-wide analysis of the serological response to vaccinia and smallpoxD Huw Davies
Center for Virus Research, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Proteomics 7:1678-86. 2007..Reserve, WR) proteome to profile antibody reactivities after primary infection or boosting with the licensed smallpox vaccine, Dryvax, and with archival convalescent smallpox sera...
- Modified vaccinia Ankara: potential as an alternative smallpox vaccineLewis H McCurdy
Vaccine Research Center, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 3017, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:1749-53. 2004..Herein, we review alternative approaches to maintaining immunity to smallpox through vaccination with attenuated poxviruses, and we suggest modified vaccinia Ankara (MVA) as a leading candidate for an alternative smallpox vaccine.
- Clinical and immunologic responses to multiple doses of IMVAMUNE (Modified Vaccinia Ankara) followed by Dryvax challengeSharon E Frey
Department of Medicine, Saint Louis University School of Medicine and National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Vaccine Treatment and Evaluation Unit, 1100 S Grand Blvd DRC 8, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Vaccine 25:8562-73. 2007..IMVAMUNE vaccination prior to Dryvax reduced virus replication at the Dryvax site, decreased the size of the primary cutaneous lesion, and decreased the time to healing but did not completely ameliorate the immune response...
- Smallpox vaccines: targets of protective immunityBernard Moss
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 3210, USA
Immunol Rev 239:8-26. 2011....
- Safety, immunogenicity, and surrogate markers of clinical efficacy for modified vaccinia Ankara as a smallpox vaccine in HIV-infected subjectsRichard N Greenberg
Infectious Diseases Division, University of Kentucky School of Medicine, Lexington, KY 40536 0093, USA
J Infect Dis 207:749-58. 2013..Alternative smallpox vaccines with an improved safety profile would address this unmet medical need...
- Transcriptomic profiles of high and low antibody responders to smallpox vaccineR B Kennedy
Mayo Vaccine Research Group, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Genes Immun 14:277-85. 2013..Here we describe the application of mRNA-Seq transcriptome profiling to understanding immune responses in smallpox vaccine recipients...
- Daniel Bernoulli's epidemiological model revisitedKlaus Dietz
Department of Medical Biometry, University of Tubingen, Westbahnhofstr 55, 72070 Tübingen, Germany
Math Biosci 180:1-21. 2002..One can use this estimate to assess the gain in life expectancy if only a fraction of the population is immunized...
- Smallpox: anything to declare?Geoffrey L Smith
Department of Virology, The Wright Fleming Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1P6, UK
Nat Rev Immunol 2:521-7. 2002..In the words of Rep. Christopher Shay, 'Better to be scared by the improbable possibility than to be unprepared for the catastrophic reality'...
- Safety and immunogenicity of modified vaccinia Ankara (ACAM3000): effect of dose and route of administrationMarissa B Wilck
Division of Infectious Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1361-70. 2010..We conducted a clinical trial of the safety and immunogenicity of modified vaccinia Ankara (MVA) to examine the effects of dose and route of administration...
- Host range, growth property, and virulence of the smallpox vaccine: vaccinia virus Tian Tan strainQing Fang
Modern Virology Research Center and AIDS Center, National Key Laboratory of Virology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Hubei 430072, PR China
Virology 335:242-51. 2005..Our data demonstrate the need for further attenuation of VTT to serve either as a safer smallpox vaccine or as a live vaccine vector for other pathogens.
- Individual-based computational modeling of smallpox epidemic control strategiesDonald S Burke
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Room E5527, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Acad Emerg Med 13:1142-9. 2006....
- Modified vaccinia virus Ankara protects macaques against respiratory challenge with monkeypox virusKoert J Stittelaar
Department of Virology, Erasmus MC, Building Hoboken, Room Ee 17 26, P O Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Virol 79:7845-51. 2005..The MVA-based smallpox vaccine protected macaques against a lethal respiratory challenge with monkeypox virus and is therefore an important ..
- Priming-boosting vaccination with recombinant Mycobacterium bovis bacillus Calmette-Guérin and a nonreplicating vaccinia virus recombinant leads to long-lasting and effective immunityYasushi Ami
Division of Experimental Animal Research, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Virol 79:12871-9. 2005..These results suggest that a recombinant M. bovis BCG-based vector may have potential as an HIV/AIDS vaccine when administered in combination with a replication-deficient vaccinia virus DIs vector in a priming-boosting strategy...
- An attenuated LC16m8 smallpox vaccine: analysis of full-genome sequence and induction of immune protectionShigeru Morikawa
Department of Virology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Toyama, Tokyo, Japan
J Virol 79:11873-91. 2005..These results suggest that priming with m8 IMV provides efficient protection despite undetectable levels of immunity against EEV...
- Human leukocyte antigen genotypes in the genetic control of adaptive immune responses to smallpox vaccineInna G Ovsyannikova
Mayo Clinic Vaccine Research Group, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Infect Dis 203:1546-55. 2011The role of human leukocyte antigen (HLA) genes in mediating adaptive immune responses to smallpox vaccine remains unknown.
- Genomic analysis of the vaccinia virus strain variants found in Dryvax vaccineLi Qin
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, 6020 Katz Group Centre, Edmonton, AB T6G 2H7, Canada
J Virol 85:13049-60. 2011..There is more genetic diversity detected within a vial of Dryvax than between variola virus major and minor strains, and our study highlights how propagation methods affect the genetics of orthopoxvirus populations...
- Emergence and reemergence of smallpox: the need for development of a new generation smallpox vaccineSergei N Shchelkunov
Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk 630090, Russia
Vaccine 29:D49-53. 2011....
- Smallpox vaccine with integrated IL-15 demonstrates enhanced in vivo viral clearance in immunodeficient mice and confers long term protection against a lethal monkeypox challenge in cynomolgus monkeysRafal J Zielinski
Radiation Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 1374, USA
Vaccine 28:7081-91. 2010..Therefore, a safer smallpox vaccine that can match the efficacy of first generation vaccines is urgently needed...
- Modeling potential responses to smallpox as a bioterrorist weaponM I Meltzer
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atalnta, Georgia 30333
Emerg Infect Dis 7:959-69. 2001..Historical data indicate that a median of 2,155 smallpox vaccine doses per case were given to stop outbreaks, implying that a stockpile of 40 million doses should be adequate.
- Myopericarditis following smallpox vaccination among vaccinia-naive US military personnelJeffrey S Halsell
The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA
JAMA 289:3283-9. 2003..Although many viruses have been reported to cause myopericarditis, it has been a rare or unrecognized event after vaccination with the currently used strain of vaccinia virus (New York City Board of Health)...
- Molecular smallpox vaccine delivered by alphavirus replicons elicits protective immunity in mice and non-human primatesJay W Hooper
US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Virology Division, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, United States
Vaccine 28:494-511. 2009..from strains of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus, are being used to develop alternatives to the current smallpox vaccine. Here, we demonstrated that virus-like replicon particles (VRPs) expressing the vaccinia virus A33R, B5R, ..
- Genome-wide genetic associations with IFNγ response to smallpox vaccineRichard B Kennedy
Program in Translational Immunovirology and Biodefense, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hum Genet 131:1433-51. 2012..We report here the first smallpox vaccine response genome-wide association study of over 1,000 recent recipients of Dryvax(®)...
- A model for a smallpox-vaccination policySamuel A Bozzette
RAND Center for Domestic and International Health Security, Santa Monica, Calif, USA
N Engl J Med 348:416-25. 2003..The new reality of biologic terrorism and warfare has ignited a debate about whether to reintroduce smallpox vaccination...
- Genome-wide association study of antibody response to smallpox vaccineInna G Ovsyannikova
Mayo Clinic Vaccine Research Group, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Vaccine 30:4182-9. 2012We performed a genome-wide association study (GWAS) of antibody levels in a multi-ethnic group of 1071 healthy smallpox vaccine recipients...
- Failure of the smallpox vaccine to develop a skin lesion in vaccinia virus-naïve individuals is related to differences in antibody profiles before vaccination, not afterXiaolin Tan
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 19:418-28. 2012..Although the sample size studied was small, we conclude the failure to take in responders correlates with preexisting immunity of unknown etiology that may attenuate the skin reaction in a way similar to previous smallpox vaccination...
- Genome-wide analysis of polymorphisms associated with cytokine responses in smallpox vaccine recipientsRichard B Kennedy
Mayo Vaccine Research Group, Mayo Clinic, Guggenheim 611C, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hum Genet 131:1403-21. 2012..analysis of the effects of host genetic variation on cytokine responses to vaccinia virus stimulation in smallpox vaccine recipients...
- Safety and immunogenicity of LC16m8, an attenuated smallpox vaccine in vaccinia-naive adultsJeffrey S Kennedy
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, NY, USA
J Infect Dis 204:1395-402. 2011LC16m8 is an attenuated cell culture-adapted Lister vaccinia smallpox vaccine missing the B5R protein and licensed for use in Japan.
- Vaccinia immune globulin: current policies, preparedness, and product safety and efficacyRiccardo Wittek
Institut de Biotechnologie, University of Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Int J Infect Dis 10:193-201. 2006..begun to develop policies and preparedness programs to deal with a bioterror attack, including stockpiling of smallpox vaccine. Smallpox vaccine itself may be associated with a number of serious adverse events, which can often be ..
- ACAM2000: a newly licensed cell culture-based live vaccinia smallpox vaccineRichard N Greenberg
University of Kentucky School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Room MN 672, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, KY 40536 0084, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 17:555-64. 2008..and animal welfare); and iii) use of variola as a weapon for bioterrorism, a new and safer vaccinia-based smallpox vaccine derived from new cell culture-based technology was proposed. Federally funded work by Acambis, Inc...
- Rapid protection in a monkeypox model by a single injection of a replication-deficient vaccinia virusPatricia L Earl
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 3210, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10889-94. 2008..Protection correlated with the more rapid immune response to MVA compared to Dryvax, which may be related to the higher dose of MVA that can be tolerated safely...
- LC16m8: an attenuated smallpox vaccineJulie Kenner
VaxGen Inc, USA
Vaccine 24:7009-22. 2006..LC16m8, an attenuated, replicating smallpox vaccine derived from the Lister strain of vaccinia, is currently licensed in Japan where it was safely used in over ..
- Smallpox vaccination and adverse reactions. Guidance for cliniciansJoanne Cono
Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Program, National Center for Infectious Diseases, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 52:1-28. 2003..The frequencies of smallpox vaccine-associated adverse events were identified in studies of the 1960s...
- Heterogeneity in the A33 protein impacts the cross-protective efficacy of a candidate smallpox DNA vaccineJoseph W Golden
Department of Molecular Virology, Virology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, USA
Virology 377:19-29. 2008..Furthermore, our results caution that adequate cross-protection by any pan-orthopoxvirus subunit vaccine will require not only careful evaluation of cross-protective immunity, but also of targeting of multiple orthopoxvirus immunogens...
- Cytokine milieu of atopic dermatitis skin subverts the innate immune response to vaccinia virusMichael D Howell
Division of Allergy and Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
Immunity 24:341-8. 2006..The current study demonstrates that Th2 cytokines enhance VV replication in AD skin by subverting the innate immune response against VV in a STAT-6-dependent manner...
- Major neutralizing sites on vaccinia virus glycoprotein B5 are exposed differently on variola virus ortholog B6Lydia Aldaz-Carroll
Department of Microbiology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 240 S 40th St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6002, USA
J Virol 81:8131-9. 2007..Assuming that B6 contains similar variola virus-specific epitopes, our data suggest that a subunit vaccine using the variola virus homologues might exhibit improved protective efficacy against smallpox...
- Contact vaccinia--transmission of vaccinia from smallpox vaccinationJohn M Neff
Center for Children with Special Needs, Children s Hospital, and the Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, 4800 Sand Point Way NE, CM 09, Seattle, WA 98105 0371, USA
JAMA 288:1901-5. 2002
- Surfing a genetic association interaction network to identify modulators of antibody response to smallpox vaccineN A Davis
Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK 74104, USA
Genes Immun 11:630-6. 2010..We apply SNPrank to a GAIN analysis of a candidate-gene association study on human immune response to smallpox vaccine. SNPrank implicates a SNP in the retinoid X receptor α (RXRA) gene through a network interaction effect on ..
- Vaccinia (smallpox) vaccine: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2001L D Rotz
Office of Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Activity, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 50:1-25; quiz CE1-7. 2001..In addition, this report contains ACIP's recommendations for the use of vaccinia vaccine if smallpox (variola) virus were used as an agent of biological terrorism or if a smallpox outbreak were to occur for another unforeseen reason...
- Immunity from smallpox vaccine persists for decades: a longitudinal studyDennis D Taub
Laboratory of Immunology and Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224 6825, USA
Am J Med 121:1058-64. 2008..The threat of smallpox resulting from bioterrorist action has prompted a reassessment of the level of immunity in current populations...
- ORFeome approach to the clonal, HLA allele-specific CD4 T-cell response to a complex pathogen in humansLichen Jing
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, 1616 Eastlake Avenue East, Suite 251, Seattle, WA 98102, USA
J Immunol Methods 347:36-45. 2009....
- A protein-based smallpox vaccine protects non-human primates from a lethal monkeypox virus challengeGeorge W Buchman
Chesapeake PERL, Inc, Savage, MD, USA
Vaccine 28:6627-36. 2010..A subunit smallpox vaccine comprising vaccinia virus membrane proteins A33, B5, L1, A27 and aluminum hydroxide (alum) ± CpG was ..
- Redundancy and plasticity of neutralizing antibody responses are cornerstone attributes of the human immune response to the smallpox vaccineMohammed Rafii El Idrissi Benhnia
La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, Division of Vaccine Discovery, 9420 Athena Circle, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Virol 82:3751-68. 2008The smallpox vaccine is widely considered the gold standard for human vaccines, yet the key antibody targets in humans remain unclear...
- Smallpox vaccine. A tame virus runs amokJocelyn Kaiser
Science 316:1418-9. 2007
- A randomized, double-blind, dose-finding Phase II study to evaluate immunogenicity and safety of the third generation smallpox vaccine candidate IMVAMUNEAlfred von Krempelhuber
Bavarian Nordic GmbH, Fraunhoferstrasse 13, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Vaccine 28:1209-16. 2010IMVAMUNE is a Modified Vaccinia Ankara (MVA)-based virus that is being developed as a safer 3rd generation smallpox vaccine. In order to determine the optimal dose for further development, a double-blind, randomized Phase II trial was ..
- Can postexposure vaccination against smallpox succeed?Philip P Mortimer
Virus Reference Division, Central Public Health Laboratory, London, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 36:622-9. 2003....
- Protective immunity following vaccination: how is it defined?Ian J Amanna
Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
Hum Vaccin 4:316-9. 2008....
- Postexposure immunization with modified vaccinia virus Ankara or conventional Lister vaccine provides solid protection in a murine model of human smallpoxNir Paran
Israel Institute for Biological Research, Ness Ziona, Israel
J Infect Dis 199:39-48. 2009..Scenarios of sudden biothreats have prompted demand for rapidly protective vaccination. However, the feasibility of short-term vaccination (i.e., vaccination shortly before exposure) with vaccinia virus (VACV) is uncertain...
- Identification of poxvirus CD8+ T cell determinants to enable rational design and characterization of smallpox vaccinesDavid C Tscharke
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Exp Med 201:95-104. 2005..Modified vaccinia virus ankara (MVA), a candidate replacement smallpox vaccine, failed to induce responses to two of the defined determinants...
- Antibodies against the extracellular enveloped virus B5R protein are mainly responsible for the EEV neutralizing capacity of vaccinia immune globulinEdward Bell
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Virology 325:425-31. 2004..Vaccinia immune globulin (VIG) has been used to treat complications from the smallpox vaccine. While the potency of VIG was defined by its ability to neutralize intracellular mature virus, a second form ..
- Surveillance guidelines for smallpox vaccine (vaccinia) adverse reactionsChristine Casey
Immunization Safety Office, Office of the Chief Science Officer, Office of the Director, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 55:1-16. 2006..The smallpox vaccine surveillance case definitions presented in the report can be used in future vaccination programs to ensure ..
- Developing new smallpox vaccinesS R Rosenthal
CBER Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 7:920-6. 2001New stockpiles of smallpox vaccine are required as a contingency for protecting civilian and military personnel against deliberate dissemination of smallpox virus by terrorists or unfriendly governments...
- Transmission potential of smallpox in contemporary populationsR Gani
Centre for Applied Microbiology and Research, Porton, Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 0JG, UK
Nature 414:748-51. 2001..5 to 6) predict a reasonably rapid epidemic rise before the implementation of public health interventions, because little residual herd immunity exists now that vaccination has ceased...
- Highly attenuated smallpox vaccine protects mice with and without immune deficiencies against pathogenic vaccinia virus challengeLinda S Wyatt
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0445, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4590-5. 2004Modified vaccinia virus Ankara (MVA), developed >30 years ago as a highly attenuated candidate smallpox vaccine, was recloned from a 1974 passage and evaluated for safety and immunogenicity...
- Differential regulation of granzyme and perforin in effector and memory T cells following smallpox immunizationMichael T Rock
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Immunol 174:3757-64. 2005..Together, these data suggest an important role for effector CD8+ T cells in controlling poxvirus infection, and have implications for our understanding of human CD8+ T cell differentiation...
- Immunization with vaccinia virus induces polyfunctional and phenotypically distinctive CD8(+) T cell responsesMelissa L Precopio
Immunology Laboratory, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Exp Med 204:1405-16. 2007..This quality of the CD8(+) T cell response may be at least partially responsible for the profound efficacy of these vaccines in protection against smallpox and serves as a benchmark against which other vaccines can be evaluated...
- The smallpox vaccine induces an early neutralizing IgM responseJuan E Moyron-Quiroz
Division of Vaccine Discovery, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Vaccine 28:140-7. 2009....
- Genetically stable and fully effective smallpox vaccine strain constructed from highly attenuated vaccinia LC16m8Minoru Kidokoro
Department of Virology III, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, 4 7 1 Gakuen, Musashimurayama, Tokyo 208 0011, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:4152-7. 2005A highly attenuated LC16m8 (m8) smallpox vaccine has been licensed in Japan because of its extremely low neurovirulence profile, which is comparable to that of replication incompetent strains of vaccinia virus...
- Vaccinia virus strain NYVAC induces substantially lower and qualitatively different human antibody responses compared with strains Lister and DryvaxClaire M Midgley
Department of Virology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
J Gen Virol 89:2992-7. 2008..However, NYVAC strains engineered to express antigens from other pathogens remain promising candidate vaccines for immunization against other diseases...
- Recommendations for using smallpox vaccine in a pre-event vaccination program. Supplemental recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC)Melinda Wharton
Epidemiology and Surveillance Division, National Center for Infectious Diseases, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 52:1-16. 2003..MMWR 2001;50[No. RR-10]:1-25). This supplemental report provides recommendations for using smallpox vaccine in the pre-event vaccination program in the United States...
- Monitoring the safety of a smallpox vaccination program in the United States: report of the joint Smallpox Vaccine Safety Working Group of the advisory committee on immunization practices and the Armed Forces Epidemiological BoardJohn Neff
Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S258-70. 2008..on Immunization Practices and the Department of Defense Armed Forces Epidemiological Board formed a joint Smallpox Vaccine Safety Working Group (SVS WG) to provide independent safety oversight for smallpox vaccination safety-..
- An extremely diverse CD4 response to vaccinia virus in humans is revealed by proteome-wide T-cell profilingLichen Jing
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98102, USA
J Virol 82:7120-34. 2008..Our results provide the first empirical whole-proteome data set regarding the global CD4 response to full-length proteins in a complex virus and are consistent with the theory that abundant structural proteins are immunodominant...
- Evaluation of the efficacy of modified vaccinia Ankara (MVA)/IMVAMUNE against aerosolized rabbitpox virus in a rabbit modelNicole L Garza
Center for Aerobiological Sciences, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702, United States
Vaccine 27:5496-504. 2009..This study shows that IMVAMUNE can be a very effective vaccine against aerosolized RPXV...
- The immunology of smallpox vaccinesRichard B Kennedy
Mayo Clinic Vaccine Research Group, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Curr Opin Immunol 21:314-20. 2009....
- Quantification of antibody responses against multiple antigens of the two infectious forms of Vaccinia virus provides a benchmark for smallpox vaccinationMike M Putz
Department of Virology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, London W2 1PG, UK
Nat Med 12:1310-5. 2006..These data suggest that it would be unwise to exclude the B5 protein from a future smallpox vaccine. Repeated vaccination provided significantly higher B5-specific and thus EEV-neutralizing antibody responses...
- Gender effects on humoral immune responses to smallpox vaccineRichard B Kennedy
Mayo Vaccine Research Group, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Vaccine 27:3319-23. 2009There are no data currently available on gender and racial variation in smallpox vaccine immune responses. We recruited 1076 healthy adults 18-40 years old who received one dose of the US-licensed smallpox vaccine (Dryvax)...
- Biological agents as weapons 1: smallpox and botulismMichael Whitby
Infection Management Services, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, QLD
Med J Aust 176:431-3. 2002..5. Foodborne and inhalational botulism could result from deliberate release of toxin. 6. Botulism presents with cranial nerve palsies and descending paralysis in a patient with normal conscious state and no fever...
- Polyclonal antibody cocktails generated using DNA vaccine technology protect in murine models of orthopoxvirus diseaseJoseph W Golden
Virology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, USA
Virol J 8:441. 2011..The L1 and A27 components of this vaccine target the mature virion (MV) whereas A33 and B5 target the enveloped virion (EV)...
- Third-generation smallpox vaccines: challenges in the absence of clinical smallpoxClement A Meseda
Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, USFDA, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Future Microbiol 5:1367-82. 2010..However, there has been renewed interest in smallpox vaccine development due in part to zoonotic poxvirus infections and the possibility of a re-emergence of smallpox, as ..
- Identification and preliminary characterization of vaccinia virus (Dryvax) antigens recognized by vaccinia immune globulinAgnes Jones-Trower
Laboratory of DNA Viruses, Division of Viral Products, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, HFM 457, 1401 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852 1448, USA
Virology 343:128-40. 2005..The modified vaccinia virus Ankara (MVA), a new generation smallpox vaccine that is attenuated for replication in humans, expresses most, but not all, of the major vaccinia antigens ..
- Biodefense. Smallpox vaccines: looking beyond the next generationMartin Enserink
Science 304:809. 2004
- Genomic differences of Vaccinia virus clones from Dryvax smallpox vaccine: the Dryvax-like ACAM2000 and the mouse neurovirulent Clone-3John D Osborne
Biotechnology Core Facility Branch, Division of Scientific Resources, National Center for Preparedness, Detection, and Control of Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30329, United States
Vaccine 25:8807-32. 2007..S., consists of a biologically vaccine-like VACV homogeneous-sequence clone from the conventional smallpox vaccine Dryvax, which we verified from Dryvax sequence chromatograms is genetically heterogeneous...
- Race and sex-based differences in cytokine immune responses to smallpox vaccine in healthy individualsIana H Haralambieva
Mayo Vaccine Research Group, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA Program in Translational Immunovirology and Biodefense, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hum Immunol 74:1263-6. 2013We assessed the effects of sex, race and ethnicity on smallpox vaccine-induced immune responses in 1071 armed forces members after primary Dryvax(®) smallpox vaccination, including 790 males and 281 females; 580 Caucasians, 217 African-..
- Modelling responses to a smallpox epidemic taking into account uncertaintyJ Legrand
Epidemiology and Information Sciences, INSERM U444, CHU Saint Antoine, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 27 rue Chaligny, 75012 Paris, France
Epidemiol Infect 132:19-25. 2004..e. the number of secondary cases infected by one case in an entirely susceptible population, equal to 3 in the reference scenario), time to intervention, and proportion of traced and vaccinated contacts...
- Characterization and use of mammalian-expressed vaccinia virus extracellular membrane proteins for quantification of the humoral immune response to smallpox vaccinesAlonzo D Garcia
Laboratory of DNA Viruses, Division of Viral Products, Center for Biologics and Evaluation and Research FDA, 1401 Rockville Pike, HFM 457, Rockville, MD 20892, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:1032-44. 2007The licensed smallpox vaccine Dryvax is used as the standard in comparative immunogenicity and protection studies of new smallpox vaccine candidates...
- Clinical responses to undiluted and diluted smallpox vaccineSharon E Frey
Department of Medicine, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Unit, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1265-74. 2002To evaluate the potential to increase the supply of smallpox vaccine (vaccinia virus), we compared the response to vaccination with 10(8.1), 10(7.2), and 10(7.0) plaque-forming units (pfu) of vaccinia virus per milliliter.
- Clonal vaccinia virus grown in cell culture as a new smallpox vaccineRichard Weltzin
Acambis Inc, 38 Sidney Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Med 9:1125-30. 2003..To develop a modern smallpox vaccine, we have adapted vaccinia virus that was derived from the existing Dryvax vaccine for growth in a human ..
- Group interest versus self-interest in smallpox vaccination policyChris T Bauch
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4K1
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:10564-7. 2003..This shortfall results in a substantial increase in expected mortality after an attack...
- The use of smallpox virus as a biological weapon: the vaccination situation in FranceD Levy-Bruhl
Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Saint Maurice, France
Euro Surveill 6:171-8. 2001..Even in the case of a real threat, the vaccination of frontline healthcare personnel, and in particular of contacts of cases, must be given priority...
- Monkeypox outbreak a reminder of emerging infections vulnerabilitiesJoan Stephenson
JAMA 290:23-4. 2003
- Smallpox vaccines induce antibodies to the immunomodulatory, secreted vaccinia virus complement control proteinJoan E Adamo
Laboratory of DNA Viruses, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research CBER, US Food and Drug Administration FDA, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Gen Virol 90:2604-8. 2009..immune globulin was used to screen the secreted proteins from cells infected with Dryvax or the candidate smallpox vaccine LC16m8 to determine whether the protective humoral response included antibodies against secreted viral ..
- Smallpox vaccination: a review, part I. Background, vaccination technique, normal vaccination and revaccination, and expected normal reactionsVincent A Fulginiti
Department of Pediatrics, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:241-50. 2003..The characteristics of smallpox vaccine, the technique of administration, and the expected reactions to primary vaccination and revaccination are ..
- Dose-related effects of smallpox vaccineSharon E Frey
Department of Medicine, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Unit, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1275-80. 2002....
- Side-by-side comparison of gene-based smallpox vaccine with MVA in nonhuman primatesJoseph W Golden
Department of Molecular Virology, Virology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e42353. 2012..None of the 4pox/LT-vaccinated animals shed virus. Our findings show, for the first time, that a subunit orthopoxvirus vaccine delivered by the same schedule can provide a degree of protection at least as high as that of MVA...
- Smallpox virus destruction and the implications of a new vaccineD A Henderson
Center for Biosecurity of UPMC, Baltimore, Maryland 21202, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 9:163-8. 2011..This commentary provides approximations of these costs and the incremental contribution that a newly developed vaccine might make in terms of public health security...
- Expected adverse events in a mass smallpox vaccination campaignAlex R Kemper
Division of General Pediatrics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Eff Clin Pract 5:84-90. 2002..Before the latter strategy is adopted, an understanding of the likely consequences of mass vaccination is essential...
- Capturing the spectrum of interaction effects in genetic association studies by simulated evaporative cooling network analysisBrett A McKinney
Department of Genetics, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000432. 2009..We apply the EC filter to a smallpox vaccine cohort study of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) and infer a GAIN for a collection of SNPs associated ..
- The strategic use of novel smallpox vaccines in the post-eradication worldJoseph W Golden
Department of Molecular Virology, Virology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 10:1021-35. 2011..The currently licensed live-virus smallpox vaccine ACAM2000 is effective, but associated with serious and even life-threatening adverse events...
- Evaluating the orthopoxvirus type I interferon-binding molecule as a vaccine target in the vaccinia virus intranasal murine challenge modelJoseph W Golden
Department of Molecular Virology, Virology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Maryland 21702, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:1656-65. 2010..This study shows that DNA vaccination with the VACV IBM results in a robust immune response but that this response does not significantly enhance protection in a high-dose challenge model...
- Smallpox vaccine-induced antibodies are necessary and sufficient for protection against monkeypox virusYvette Edghill-Smith
Animal Models and Retroviral Vaccines Section, National Cancer Institute, 41 D804, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Med 11:740-7. 2005..Thus, vaccines able to induce long-lasting protective antibody responses may constitute realistic alternatives to the currently available smallpox vaccine (Dryvax).
- Effect of vaccination with modified vaccinia Ankara (ACAM3000) on subsequent challenge with DryvaxMichael S Seaman
Division of Viral Pathogenesis, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1353-60. 2010..To investigate this question, we examined the effect of immunization with modified vaccinia Ankara (MVA) on subsequent challenge with replication-competent vaccinia virus (Dryvax)...
- A randomized, double-blind, controlled clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of CJ-50300, a newly developed cell culture-derived smallpox vaccine, in healthy volunteersHee Chang Jang
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Vaccine 28:5845-9. 2010..trial was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of CJ-50300, a newly developed cell culture-derived smallpox vaccine, and to determine its minimum effective dose...
- Predicting residual immunity against smallpoxHiroshi Nishiura
J Infect Dis 195:160-1; author reply 161-2. 2007
- A review of the smallpox vaccine adverse events active surveillance systemTracy N Thomas
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S212-20. 2008..However, an active surveillance system may be important when there is no enhanced passive surveillance system available...
- Serological responses in humans to the smallpox vaccine LC16m8Benjamin F Johnson
Section of Virology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
J Gen Virol 92:2405-10. 2011..of the Japanese Self-Defense Forces were vaccinated with vaccinia virus (VACV) strain LC16m8, an attenuated smallpox vaccine derived from VACV strain Lister...
- Comparison of the safety and immunogenicity of ACAM1000, ACAM2000 and Dryvax in healthy vaccinia-naive adultsSharon E Frey
Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Department of Internal Medicine, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 1100 S Grand Blvd DRC 8th Floor, St Louis, MO 63104, United States
Vaccine 27:1637-44. 2009..0x10(8)PFU/mL. All subjects had a primary skin reaction indicating a successful vaccination. The adverse events, 4-fold neutralizing antibody rise and T cell immune responses were similar between the groups...
- Single-shot immunization with recombinant adenovirus encoding vaccinia virus glycoprotein A27L is protective against a virulent respiratory poxvirus infectionRajeev Rudraraju
Gene Therapy Program, and Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Vaccine 28:4997-5004. 2010..This study is the first demonstration that a single-shot subunit vaccine encoding a poxvirus protein confers protection against the mortality and morbidity associated with poxvirus infection...
- Electrocardiography screening for cardiotoxicity after modified Vaccinia Ankara vaccinationJunko Sano
The Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, St Louis, MO 63117, USA
Am J Med 122:79-84. 2009..Symptomatic myopericarditis has been described after smallpox vaccination using replication-competent vaccinia strains...
- Phenotypic and genetic diversity of the traditional Lister smallpox vaccineAude Garcel
Laboratoire de Virologie, Centre de Recherches du Service de Santé des Armées Emile Pardé, 24 Avenue des Maquis du Gresivaudan, BP87, Grenoble 38702, France
Vaccine 27:708-17. 2009As an initial step in the development of a second-generation smallpox vaccine derived from the Lister strain, to be prepared for a variola virus threat, diversity of the traditional vaccine was examined by characterizing a series of ten ..
- Responses to smallpox vaccineJeffrey A Frelinger
N Engl J Med 347:689-90; author reply 689-90. 2002
- Emerging functions of poxvirus virulence factor, N1LWilliam Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2005..Treatment options are limited, and vaccinia virus, the current smallpox vaccine, may induce serious side effects...
- Salmonella Vaccines Against Bacterial EnteropathogensRoy Curtiss; Fiscal Year: 2013..If successful, this vaccine(s) should have a societal public health benefit of a magnitude similar to the impact of the smallpox vaccine.
- Skin Defense by Antimicrobial Peptides Richard L Gallo; Fiscal Year: 2012..The later impacts the capacity to administer live viral vaccines such as the smallpox vaccine. In the current proposal we will continue to study antimicrobial peptides, now turning to analysis of the ..
- Dermatotropic cellular immune responses induced by a novel smallpox vaccineStephen R Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2013..We further hypothesize that vaccination with the experimental smallpox vaccine modified vaccinia Ankara (MVA) by the ID, subcutaneous (SC), and epicutaneous routes has a similar ..
- Mechanisms of humoral immunity development and function to the smallpox vaccineSHANE P CROTTY; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We have spent substantial effort demonstrating that the smallpox vaccine elicits lifelong immunological memory in human (JI 2003, Clin Vaccine Imm 2007) and the human neutralizing antibody response is ..
- Clinical Development of Combination Plague/Smallpox VaccineCHARALAMBOS PARTIDOS; Fiscal Year: 2011..At this time, no human vaccines are available for plague and the current smallpox vaccine has significant side effects...
- Ontology-based Information Network to Support Vaccine ResearchYongqun He; Fiscal Year: 2012Project Summary (Abstract): Since the introduction of Edward Jenner's smallpox vaccine in 1796, vaccines have proven invaluable for their ability to stimulate the immune system and to confer protection against pathogenic organisms...
- Negative regulation of Plasma cells by CD28 and B7 moleculesJoshy Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2012..For instance, humans immunized with smallpox vaccine exhibit stable levels of neutralizing antibodies in their serum for over 75 years...
- Machine Learning Analysis of Genetic Modulators of Vaccine Immune ResponseBRETT MCKINNEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..polymorphism (SNP) and clinical data from volunteers from a NIAID/NIH-sponsored trial to evaluate the Aventis Pasteur Smallpox Vaccine and a Center for Disease Control sponsored trial to evaluate Anthrax Vaccine Adsorbed.
- Smallpox vaccine and vaccinia complement control proteinSTUART ISAACS; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that VCP is a promising target for novel vaccine strategies that has the potential to enhance both the safety and immunogenicity of next generation smallpox vaccines ..
- Cytokine Signaling Network Response to Smallpox VaccineBRETT MCKINNEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..from 103 volunteers that are part of an ongoing NIAID/NIH-sponsored trial to evaluate the Aventis Pasteur Smallpox Vaccine (APSV)...
- Pathogenesis of Vaccinia virus keratitisCurtis R Brandt; Fiscal Year: 2013..ER personnel) and the military. The Smallpox vaccine, Vaccinia virus, is a live attenuated virus and adverse vaccine responses are common...
- Mechanisms for NK Cell Activation in Vaccinia Virus ControlYiping Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Vaccinia virus (VV) is the live smallpox vaccine responsible for the successful eradication of smallpox worldwide...
- ST-246 treatment of smallpox vaccine-related adverse eventsDouglas W Grosenbach; Fiscal Year: 2011..due to direct risk of adverse events or the possibility of placing direct contacts at risk (23), the current smallpox vaccine is inadequate to protect the US population from smallpox...
- Optimizing the formulation of a protein based smallpox vaccineStuart N Isaacs; Fiscal Year: 2012This proposal, in response to RFA AI-07-003, is for the development of a future generation smallpox vaccine that can be safely administered to a diverse population...
- Vaccinia Proteome Affinity Reagents From Phage DisplayPhilip Felgner; Fiscal Year: 2005..high affinity binding partner, or "Artificial Antibody" (ArtAb), for each protein in the vaccinia virus (smallpox vaccine) proteome...
- Genetic Risk for Smallpox Vaccine Related to MyocarditisDeborah A Nickerson; Fiscal Year: 2010..This contract will study the genetic risk for smallpox vaccine related to myocarditis
- Genetic variants associated with smallpox vaccine immune response heterogeneityGregory Poland; Fiscal Year: 2013..This contract will study the genetic variants associated with smallpox vaccine immune response heterogeneity
- Adjuvants for Agile Vaccine DevelopmentPhilip Felgner; Fiscal Year: 2006..In Specific Aim 1, we will focus on using two model antigens, one derived from vaccinia virus (the smallpox vaccine) and a second from F. tularensis. The wild-type F...
- Bacterial Commensal Vector Delivery/Smallpox VaccineDennis Hruby; Fiscal Year: 2006..Successful completion of the proposed [unreadable] experiments will identify a BCV smallpox vaccine candidate suitable for subsequent preclinical validation and development. [unreadable] [unreadable]
- Dose Optimization, Production & Tox Testing of Replicon-Vaccines for SmallpoxKurt Kamrud; Fiscal Year: 2009..Much of the threat posed by Orthopoxviruses could be eliminated by vaccination;however, because the smallpox vaccine is a live orthopoxvirus the vaccine itself can pose serious health risks to immunocompetent individuals and ..
- Development of a Safer Smallpox VaccineMichael Cho; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although existing smallpox vaccine is relatively safe, it is not without serious medical complications including eczema vaccinatum, vaccinia ..
- Development of an VEE Replicon Vaccine Against SmallpoxKurt Kamrud; Fiscal Year: 2005..Much of the threat posed by Orthopoxviruses could be eliminated by vaccination; however, because the smallpox vaccine is a live orthopoxvirus, the vaccine itself can pose serious health risks to both immunocompetent and ..
- Development of a Yellow Fever Vaccine for Vulnerable PopulationsIan Amanna; Fiscal Year: 2009..is estimated at 1 to 2 deaths per million doses, indicating that this vaccine is as dangerous as the live smallpox vaccine, Dryvax...
- Smallpox subunit vaccine in the C-PERL expression systemGEORGE BUCHMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005Chesapeake PERL (C-PERL), a recombinant protein manufacturing company, proposes to develop a smallpox vaccine based on recombinant proteins from vaccinia and expressed in C-PERL's proprietary larval expression system...
- Heteropolymer System to Treat Vaccinia ComplicationsSteven Pincus; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is highly infectious and has a death rate as high as 25%. The only approved smallpox vaccine (live vaccinia virus) is available in very limited quantities (15.4 million doses) and is decades old...
- TLR Signaling in CD8 T Cell Response to Vaccinia VirusYiping Yang; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Vaccinia virus (VV) is the live smallpox vaccine responsible for successful eradication of smallpox worldwide...
- IMMUNOMODULATION OF VACCINIA-INDUCED ANTIMICROBIAL PEPT*Donald Leung; Fiscal Year: 2005..Along with its legacy of enormous success, the live virus smallpox vaccine has the dubious distinction of having one of the highest rates of vaccine-associated adverse events of any ..
- Vaccinia virus-specific T-cell phenotypesMichael Rock; Fiscal Year: 2005..The smallpox vaccine provides a unique opportunity to evaluate T cell responses in truly separate cohorts (naive and experienced) ..
- Human Monoclonal Antibodies for Bioterrorism DefenseErnest Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005..virus, the etiologic agent of smallpox, and the closely related vaccinia virus, which is the basis for the smallpox vaccine, have evolved a complex strategy to evade host defenses in the individual and to permit rapid and devastating ..
- Assessment of Smallpox Specific Immune ResponsesThomas Denny; Fiscal Year: 2003..smallpox (variola) in individuals who were previously vaccinated in the United States commercially approved smallpox vaccine (preparation of live Vaccinia virus)...
- Augmenting innate and vaccine immune response with der-GDaniel Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2003..However, a new and successful smallpox vaccine intervention program, or one to treat exposed individual requires not only an effective vaccine, but also ..
- Therapeutics for Pox, Filo and Other Viral PathogensSTEWART SCHNELLER; Fiscal Year: 2007..In preparation for possible release of smallpox, plans are well underway to avail sufficient quantities of smallpox vaccine for a large number of people...
- Novel Smallpox Vaccine Derived from VV/VAR ImmunomeAnne De Groot; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this application, we propose to develop a safe, new smallpox vaccine based on epitopes conserved between the vaccinia virus (VV) and Variola (VAR) 'immunomes' that ..
- Poxvirus Immunity and DNA/MVA HIV VaccinesRama Rao Amara; Fiscal Year: 2007..bioterrorism threat the US government is prepared to vaccinate at least a subset of people with the current smallpox vaccine (Dryvax/New York Board of Health strain of vaccinia)...
- Human Monoclonal Antibodies to Replace VIG for TherapyLisa Cavacini; Fiscal Year: 2003..globulin (VIG) has been used as prophylaxis for treating individuals for which contra indications exist for smallpox vaccine and for treatment of those with complications of vaccinations...
- Mucosal modified vaccinina Ankara-based plaque vaccinesDAN STINCHCOMB; Fiscal Year: 2007..responses has been well-documented for a variety of pathogens and MVA is being used as a second generation smallpox vaccine. In a related poxvirus vaccine vector, we demonstrated that several molecular elements significantly enhance ..
- A Safer and More Efficacious Smallpox VaccineTilahun Yilma; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Cell-Mediated Immune Responses to Vaccinia VirusesJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2006..the level of cell-mediated immunity elicited in naive adults following vaccination with the Aventis Pasteur smallpox vaccine. Furthermore, these studies will establish a paradigm in which researchers can begin to incorporate improved ..
- Poxvirus regulation of NF-kB: Mechanisms for virulenceJoanna Shisler; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results obtained here may prove useful in devising novel strategies to overcome pathogenic effects of vaccinia, with implications for enhancing safety and efficacy of a smallpox vaccine.
- Innate Immunomodulating Genes of Smallpox VaccinesTilahun Yilma; Fiscal Year: 2009..experience, we propose developing a safer and more efficacious rVV based on the Wyeth strain for use as a smallpox vaccine as well as a vector for other infectious disease vaccines...
- Human T Cell Responses to Vaccinia VaccinePhyllis Flomenberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is anticipated that this work will provide new tools for the detection and monitoring of vaccinia-specific T cell responses from most individuals and will help develop new strategies for smallpox vaccine development.
- Pox Virus Immunology and Vaccine DevelopmentRafi Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2007There is a serious need for a smallpox vaccine alternative because of the significant incidence of adverse events to the current vaccine (Dryvax)...
- Oral Smallpox Vaccine DevelopmentMary Moyer; Fiscal Year: 2004This Phase I SBIR grant application aggressively targets the next steps in the development of lNCELL's oral smallpox vaccine. It builds on successful preliminary studies to develop the raw materials and do in vitro and formulation studies ..
- Mast Cell Activator as Adjuvant for Biodefense VaccinesHERMAN STAATS; Fiscal Year: 2006..For example, the currently used smallpox vaccine is a live virus vaccine that may not be used in immunocompromised individuals and may cause heart ..
- Novel Vaccines for SmallpoxDavid Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together these studies will establish if this simple and novel approach can bridge the current situation and produce a safer more effective smallpox vaccine. [unreadable] [unreadable]
- ST-246 treatment of smallpox vaccine-related adverse events in murine modelsDOUGLAS GROSENBACH; Fiscal Year: 2008..Use of the smallpox vaccine poses a serious health risk, especially for the immunocompromised, or those with eczema/atopic dermatitis...
- An Alternative Approach to a New Smallpox Vaccine: MVA and Inflammatory StimuliWilliam Green; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this way we hope to define new vaccination paradigms that can be tested in non-human primate pox systems and ultimately in man. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Disabling Vaccinia IFNr: A New Smallpox VaccineBertram Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2008..The intent is to use this data to satisfy the FDA Animal Efficacy Rule, and pave the way for Phase l/ll Clinical Trials in healthy human volunteers. ..
- IMMUNOGENETIC MECHANISMS OF VACCINE RESPONSEGregory A Poland; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge gained from these studies will enable us to design new strategies and new vaccines to protect human health against viral diseases. ..
- IMMUNE RESPONSES TO DENGUE VIRUSESFrancis Ennis; Fiscal Year: 2001..These results will provide basic information about the roles of dengue virus-specific or flavivirus-crossreactive T lymphocyte responses in the pathogenesis of DHF or in the recovery from dengue virus infections. ..
- LIVE, ATTENUATED, RECOMBINANT VACCINE - WEST NILE VIRUSThomas Monath; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- DOMINANCE IN T CELL RESPONSES TO SMALLPOX VACCINATIONAlessandro Sette; Fiscal Year: 2006..These variola virus-derived epitopes would be incorporated in an optimized multi-determinant vaccine construct, inserted in the currently available vaccinia vaccine. ..
- Immunogenetic characterization of MHC molecules as a tool for biomedical researchAlessandro Sette; Fiscal Year: 2007..These experiments will validate the approach and tools developed and also identify epitopes that can be utilized to monitor responses in these A-C pathogen systems. [unreadable]..
- Clinical Research and Mentoring in Infectious DiseaseKent Sepkowitz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Approaches to the Inhibition of Anthrax ToxinANDREW ARTENSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- An Improved Vaccine for Protection Against SmallpoxBertram Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2003..Strains will be analyzed in mice for pathogenesis and for induction of a protective immune response. ..
- Recombinant Sendai Virus as a Novel HIV Vaccine VectorKAREN SLOBOD; Fiscal Year: 2004..Studies described in this application may ultimately identify rSV as an effective intranasal vaccine vehicle useful in the prevention of HIV. ..
- Novel inhibitors of the replication of poxvirusesJohan Neyts; Fiscal Year: 2004..The final goal of this application is to advance a compound for the treatment of (systemic or cutaneous) poxvirus infections to the initial stages of development, i.e., selecting an IND candidate. ..
- IMMUNOPHYSIOLOGY OF KERATINOCYTE CYTOKINESThomas Kupper; Fiscal Year: 2007..These questions, which can only be answered in[unreadable] our transgenic system, will provide important insights into the[unreadable] relationship between keratinocytes, T cells, and skin disease.[unreadable]..
- MICRONUTRIENTS AND MOTHER TO CHILD TRANSMISSION OF HIVRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2001..The relationship between mastitis and breastmilk HIV load and the epidemiology and microbiology of mastitis will be examined in a new cohort of HIV-infected lactating women. ..