- Cytoplasmic calcium buffers in intact human red cells
The Physiological Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK
J Physiol 500:139-54. 1997
..iv) The cell content of putative Ca2+ buffers with submicromolar Ca2+ dissociation constants was below the detection limit of the methods used here (less than ..
- Buffer kinetics shape the spatiotemporal patterns of IP3-evoked Ca2+ signals
Sheila L Dargan
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, University of California Irvine, CA 92697 4550, USA
J Physiol 553:775-88. 2003
..and photoreleased IP3 in Xenopus oocytes to study how these properties are modulated by mobile cytosolic Ca2+ buffers. EGTA (a buffer with slow 'on-rate') speeded Ca2+ signals and 'balkanized' Ca2+ waves by dissociating them into ..
- Low-conductivity buffers for high-sensitivity NMR measurements
Alexander E Kelly
Graduate Group in Biophysics, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:12013-9. 2002
..We show that by choosing buffers with low ionic mobility, the sample conductivity can be dramatically reduced and the sensitivity substantially ..
- Preparation of metal ion buffers for biological experimentation: a methods approach with emphasis on iron and zinc
Amy G Aslamkhan
Department of Physiology, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822, USA
J Exp Zool 292:507-22. 2002
..Selection of reagents appropriate for metal work (including water, salts, noncomplexing pH buffers) is briefly discussed...
- In vitro-in vivo correlations for lipophilic, poorly water-soluble drugs
J B Dressman
Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eur J Pharm Sci 11:S73-80. 2000
..fasted state effects can be predicted from dissolution data and, where several formulations were available for testing, dissolution tests could also be used to determine which would have the best in vivo performance...
- Systemic buffers inhibit carcinogenesis in TRAMP mice
Department of Radiology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Urol 188:624-31. 2012
..We hypothesized that decreased acidosis in intraductal tumors would alter environmental selection pressures for acid adapted phenotypes and delay or prevent evolution to invasive cancer...
- A practical guide to the preparation of Ca(2+) buffers
Donald M Bers
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Davis, California, USA
Methods Cell Biol 99:1-26. 2010
..As with pH, it is often essential to use Ca(2+) buffers to control free [Ca(2+)] at the desired biologically relevant concentrations...
- Iron autoxidation and free radical generation: effects of buffers, ligands, and chelators
Kevin D Welch
Biotechnology Center, Utah State University, Logan, Utah 84322 4705, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 397:360-9. 2002
..Ferrous iron was shown to be able to directly reduce some quinones without the reduction of oxygen. In conclusion, this study demonstrates the complexity of iron chemistry, especially the chelation of iron and its subsequent reactivity...
- Cytosolic Ca2+ buffers
Unit of Anatomy, Department of Medicine, University of Fribourg, Route Albert Gockel 1, CH 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 2:a004051. 2010
Ca(2+) buffers," a class of cytosolic Ca(2+)-binding proteins, act as modulators of short-lived intracellular Ca(2+) signals; they affect both the temporal and spatial aspects of these transient increases in [Ca(2+)](i)...
- Purification of brain tubulin through two cycles of polymerization-depolymerization in a high-molarity buffer
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Cell Biology and Biophysics Programme, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Protein Expr Purif 32:83-8. 2003
..The proposed protocol is rapid and yields more active tubulin than the traditional ion-exchange chromatography-based procedures...
- The potential role of systemic buffers in reducing intratumoral extracellular pH and acid-mediated invasion
Ariosto S Silva
Laboratorio de Biologia Molecular, Centro Infantil Boldrini, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil and Departments of Radiology and Integrative Mathematical Oncology, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida
Cancer Res 69:2677-84. 2009
..Here, we investigate the hypothesis that increased systemic concentrations of pH buffers reduce intratumoral and peritumoral acidosis and, as a result, inhibit malignant growth...
- Metabolic basis for low urine pH in type 2 diabetes
Naim M Maalouf
Charles and Jane Pak Center for Mineral Metabolism and Clinical Research and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8885, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1277-81. 2010
..This study was conducted to assess the metabolic basis responsible for the excessive urinary acidity of individuals with type 2 diabetes...
- The continuing disappearance of "pure" Ca2+ buffers
Unit of Anatomy, Department of Medicine, University of Fribourg, Route Albert Gockel 1, 1700, Fribourg, Switzerland
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:275-300. 2009
Advances in the understanding of a class of Ca(2+)-binding proteins usually referred to as "Ca(2+) buffers" are reported...
- Calcium buffering and protection from excitotoxic cell death by exogenous calbindin-D28k in HEK 293 cells
G L Rintoul
Department of Physiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
Cell Calcium 29:277-87. 2001
..These results provide direct evidence for a Ca(2+)-buffering effect of CaBP which serves to limit Ca(2+)entry and the depolarization of mitochondria, thereby protecting cells from death mediated most likely by apoptosis...
- Two new nuclear isolation buffers for plant DNA flow cytometry: a test with 37 species
Laboratory of Biotechnology and Cytomics, CESAM and Department of Biology, University of Aveiro, Campus Universitario de Santiago, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
Ann Bot 100:875-88. 2007
..plant sciences in the late 1980s and early 1990s, which was accompanied by development of many nuclear isolation buffers, only a few efforts were made to develop new buffer formulas...
- Intracellular magnesium and magnesium buffering
Robert D Grubbs
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medicine, Wright State University, Dayton, OH 45435, USA
Biometals 15:251-9. 2002
..organelles will contribute to this regulation, it is binding of Mg2+ to an as yet poorly defined system of buffers that is largely responsible for determining the set point of this regulation...
- Hydrogen ion buffers for biological research
N E Good
Biochemistry 5:467-77. 1966
- Thermal stability of DNA
R D Blake
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Molecular Biology, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469 5735, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 26:3323-32. 1998
..Statistical mechanical curves calculated with values of Tij([Na+]) , Delta Hij and these loop parameters are in good agreement with observation...
- Endogenous and exogenous Ca2+ buffers differentially modulate Ca2+-dependent inactivation of Ca(v)2.1 Ca2+ channels
Department of Pharmacology and Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 281:4691-8. 2006
..between Ca2+ current amplitude and inactivation in ways that were unexpected from behavior as passive Ca2+ buffers. We conclude that Ca2+-dependent inactivation of Ca(v)2...
- Redox cycling compounds generate H2O2 in HTS buffers containing strong reducing reagents--real hits or promiscuous artifacts?
Paul A Johnston
University of Pittsburgh Drug Discovery Institute, Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 15:174-82. 2011
..In an attempt to mitigate the serious impact of RCCs on probe and lead generation, two groups have independently developed assays to indentify RCCs...
- Comparison of four nuclear isolation buffers for plant DNA flow cytometry
Laboratory of Biotechnology and Cytomics, Department of Biology, University of Aveiro, Campus Universitario de Santiago, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
Ann Bot 98:679-89. 2006
..Although nuclear isolation buffers differ considerably in chemical composition, no systematic comparison of their performance has been made until ..
- Tobacco etch virus protease retains its activity in various buffers and in the presence of diverse additives
College of Life Sciences, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China
Protein Expr Purif 82:226-31. 2012
..accepted that the high concentrations of salts or other special agents in most protein affinity chromatography buffers can affect enzyme activity, including that of TEV protease...
- Amyloid-beta aggregates formed at polar-nonpolar interfaces differ from amyloid-beta protofibrils produced in aqueous buffers
Michael R Nichols
Department of Neuroscience, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
Microsc Res Tech 67:164-74. 2005
..Abeta protofibrils, prepared by vigorous overnight agitation of monomeric Abeta(1-40) in low ionic strength buffers. These aggregates were quite stable and disaggregated to only a limited extent on dilution...
- Regulation of exocytosis in neuroendocrine cells: spatial organization of channels and vesicles, stimulus-secretion coupling, calcium buffers and modulation
K S Kits
Department of Neurophysiology, Research Institute for Neurosciences, Vrije Universiteit, De Boelelaan 1087, 1081 HV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Res Brain Res Rev 33:78-94. 2000
..This distinctive organization relates to the sensitivity of the release process to mobile calcium buffers, the resulting relationship between calcium influx and release and the modulatory mechanisms regulating the ..
- Mitochondrial regulation of intracellular Ca2+ signaling: more than just simple Ca2+ buffers
Anant B Parekh
Department of Physiology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
News Physiol Sci 18:252-6. 2003
- Calcium domains around single and clustered IP3 receptors and their modulation by buffers
Institute of Physics, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Biophys J 99:3-12. 2010
..While immobile buffer affects transient levels only, mobile buffers in general reduce both transient and stationary domains, giving rise to Ca(2+) evacuation and biphasic modulation ..
- Involvement of a cytosine side chain in proton transfer in the rate-determining step of ribozyme self-cleavage
I H Shih
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:1489-94. 2001
..Together, these data provide strong support for a mechanism where an RNA side chain participates directly in general acid or general base catalysis of the wild-type ribozyme to facilitate RNA cleavage...
- Calcium dynamics, buffering, and buffer saturation in the boutons of dentate granule-cell axons in the hilus
Meyer B Jackson
Division of Neuroscience, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
J Neurosci 23:1612-21. 2003
..Buffer saturation may also be relevant to the presynaptic induction of long-term potentiation at synapses formed by dentate granule cells...
- Determination of baseline human nasal pH and the effect of intranasally administered buffers
Department of Surgery, School of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Nottingham, E Floor, West Block, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Int J Pharm 198:139-46. 2000
..and hence this study was performed to investigate normal pH values and whether pH could be manipulated by various buffers. Twelve healthy volunteers participated in a study to measure pH in the anterior and posterior sites of the nasal ..
- Oxidation artifacts in the electrospray mass spectrometry of Abeta Peptide
Department of Chemistry, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 1600
Anal Chem 79:2031-6. 2007
..The resultant mass shift and reduced sensitivity can adversely affect H/D exchange experiments. These effects can be avoided by adding a redox buffer or (preferably) by repolishing the emitter, especially to a rounded geometry...
- The effect of aminosulfonate buffers on the light responses and intracellular pH of goldfish retinal horizontal cells
Neuroscience Institute, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Neurochem 115:102-11. 2010
..Most evidence supporting the proton model has depended on the effect of proton buffers, in particular aminosulfonates, but these agents could potentially have effects other than external pH regulation...
- Cardiopulmonary events during hemodialysis: effects of dialysis membranes and dialysate buffers
M A Munger
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, School of Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 36:130-9. 2000
..We conclude that cardiopulmonary events can occur frequently during hemodialysis, and the frequency is dependent on the type of dialysis membrane and dialysate buffer used...
- Traceless Staudinger acetylation of azides in aqueous buffers
Maria Curie Sklodowska University, Department of Organic Chemistry, ul Gliniana 33, 20 614 Lublin, Poland
Bioorg Med Chem 21:3465-72. 2013
..Additionally, we present an improved synthesis pathway for the water-soluble phosphinothiol linkers requiring less steps in a comparable overall yield in comparison to previously published protocols...
- Influence of organic buffers on bacteriocin production by Streptococcus thermophilus ST110
George A Somkuti
Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Eastern Regional Research Center, 600 East Mermaid Lane, Wyndmoor, PA 19038, USA
Curr Microbiol 55:173-7. 2007
..The results showed that whey permeate-based media may be suitable for producing large amounts of thermophilin 110 needed for controlling spoilage pediococci in industrial wine and beer fermentations...
- Structure and assembly of a T=1 virus-like particle in BK polyomavirus
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Virol 79:5337-45. 2005
..The meeting densities seen at the threefold axes in the T=1 particle were consistent with the triple-helix interlinking contact at the local threefold axes in the T=7 structure...
- Spectroscopic evidence that osmolytes used in crystallization buffers inhibit a conformation change in a membrane protein
Gail E Fanucci
Department of Chemistry and Biophysics Program, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22904, USA
Biochemistry 42:13106-12. 2003
..Specifically, if SDSL is performed with the buffers used for the crystallization of BtuB, the substrate-induced order-disorder transition of the N-terminal Ton box ..
- Low-resource method for extracting the malarial biomarker histidine-rich protein II to enhance diagnostic test performance
Keersten M Davis
Department of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37235 1822, United States
Anal Chem 84:6136-42. 2012
..Sample preprocessing improved the visual limit of detection of this test by over 8-fold, suggesting that the combination of both low-resource technologies could prove to be useful in malaria eradication efforts...
- A nondestructive molecule extraction method allowing morphological and molecular analyses using a single tissue section
Wei Sing Chu
Department of Scientific Laboratories, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Lab Invest 85:1416-28. 2005
..Thus, the NDME method allows, for the first time, both histological diagnosis and molecular analysis on a single tissue section, whether it is from frozen or fixed tissue specimens...
- Membrane associated Ca2+ buffers in the heart
Department of Biochemistry, School of Molecular and Systems Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G2H7
BMB Rep 43:151-7. 2010
..The Ca2+ homeostasis regulated by the endoplasmic and sarcoplasmic reticulum is critical for the development and proper function of the heart...
- Evaluation of extraction buffers using the current approach of detecting multiple allergenic and nonallergenic proteins in food
Carmen D Westphal
US Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Laurel, MD 20708, USA
J AOAC Int 87:1458-65. 2004
..In this study, differences in extractability of 3 allergenic foods were evaluated by using 4 different extraction buffers. The conclusion is that optimum allergen extractability was buffer-dependent, and no single buffer is appropriate ..
- Effects of pH control with phthalate buffers on hot-water extraction of hemicelluloses from spruce wood
Laboratory of Wood and Paper Chemistry, Process Chemistry Centre, Abo Akademi University, Porthansgatan 3, FI 20500 Turku Abo, Finland
Bioresour Technol 102:10518-23. 2011
..8, 4.0, 4.2 and 4.4) achieved by using phthalate buffers. Static batch extractions were carried out in an accelerated solvent extractor (ASE-300)...
- Bench-to-bedside review: treating acid-base abnormalities in the intensive care unit - the role of buffers
Brian K Gehlbach
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Crit Care 8:259-65. 2004
..The evidence supporting and refuting attempts to correct arterial pH through the administration of currently available buffers is presented.
- Evolution of cardiac calcium waves from stochastic calcium sparks
L T Izu
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Biophys J 80:103-20. 2001
..This allows Ca2+ waves to form and propagate given a sufficiently large initiation region, but prevents a single spark or a small group of sparks from triggering a wave...
- Modulation of neuronal excitability by intracellular calcium buffering: from spiking to bursting
Laboratoire de Neurophysiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Route de Lennik 808, B 1070 Bruxelles, Belgium
Cell Calcium 39:455-66. 2006
- Ferritin iron mineralization proceeds by different mechanisms in MOPS and imidazole buffers
Claine L Snow
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, C 210 Benson Building, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, United States
J Inorg Biochem 105:972-7. 2011
- Saliva and dental caries
Department of Cariology and Turku Immunology Centre, Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Finland
Adv Dent Res 14:40-7. 2000
..In this article, our aim is to focus on the effects of saliva and salivary constituents on cariogenic bacteria and the subsequent development of dental caries...
- High-activity biocatalysts in organic media: solid-state buffers as the immobilisation matrix for protein-coated microcrystals
Department of Chemistry, University of Glasgow, Joseph Black Building, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK
Biotechnol Bioeng 87:24-33. 2004
..a simple inorganic salt, K(2)SO(4), to other compounds, both inorganic and zwitterionic, that act as solid-state buffers for biocatalysis in organic media...
- Diffusion barriers limit the effect of mobile calcium buffers on exocytosis of large dense cored vesicles
K S Kits
Membrane Physiology Section, Research Institute Neurosciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, De Boelelaan 1087, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The
Biophys J 76:1693-705. 1999
..cells, activated by calcium entry through voltage-gated calcium channels, is very sensitive to mobile calcium buffers (complete block at 800 microM ethylene glycol bis(beta-aminoethyl ether)-N,N,N'N'-tetraacetic acid (EGTA))...
- A comparison of different lysis buffers to assess allele dropout from single cells for preimplantation genetic diagnosis
A R Thornhill
Guy s and St Thomas Centre for Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis, London SE1 7EH, UK
Prenat Diagn 21:490-7. 2001
..A number of different strategies (including the use of lysis buffers to break down the cell and make the DNA accessible) have been employed to combat ADO with varying degrees of ..
- Copper(II) complexation properties and surfactant activity of 3-[N, N-bis(2-hydroxyethyl)amino]-2-hydroxypropanesulfonic acid and N-(2-Hydroxyethyl)piperazine-N'-2-hydroxypropanesulfonic acid pH buffers which may affect trace metal speciation in in vitro
M T Vasconcelos
Departamento de Quimica, Faculdade de Ciencias, Universidade do Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre 687, Porto, P4150, Portugal
Anal Biochem 265:193-201. 1998
Disadvantages of the some zwitterionic pH buffers are (i) that they can interact with metal ions as well as protons, and (ii) that they may have a surfactant effect in chemical or in vitro biological or biochemical studies...
- Acid-extrusion from tissue: the interplay between membrane transporters and pH buffers
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Oxford, UK
Curr Pharm Des 18:1331-7. 2012
..The major targets include H⁺ pumps, Na⁺/H⁺ exchangers and carbonic anhydrases. The effectiveness of such therapy will depend on the correct identification of rate-limiting steps in pHi regulation in a specific type of cancer...
- Effects of calcium buffers and calbindin-D28k upon histamine-induced calcium oscillations and calcium waves in HeLa cells
Gordon L Rintoul
Department of Physiology, University of British Columbia, 2146 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Cell Calcium 34:131-44. 2003
The effects of the artificial Ca(2+) buffers EGTA and BAPTA upon histamine-induced Ca(2+) oscillations and calcium waves were studied in HeLa cells...
- Glutarate and N-acetyl-L-glutamate buffers for cell-free synthesis of selectively 15N-labelled proteins
Research School of Chemistry, The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
J Biomol NMR 44:59-67. 2009
..While the best yields are usually obtained with buffers containing high concentrations of potassium L-glutamate, preparation of selectively 15N-Glu labelled samples ..
- Investigation of a novel mixed-mode stationary phase for capillary electrochromatography. Part III: Separation of nucleosides and nucleic acid bases on sulfonated naphthalimido-modified silyl silica gel
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Course of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
J Sep Sci 28:767-73. 2005
..In addition, when a double stepwise gradient was employed to accelerate the latest peak (adenine), the elution time was shortened to less than half its original duration...
- Measurement of dissociation constants (pKa values) of organic compounds by multiplexed capillary electrophoresis using aqueous and cosolvent buffers
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton Laboratories, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
J Pharm Sci 97:2581-606. 2008
..It has been demonstrated that the method allows direct pK(a) measurements in aqueous buffers for many compounds of low solubility, often unattainable by other methods...
- Biological pH buffers in IVF: help or hindrance to success
Matthew A Will
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
J Assist Reprod Genet 28:711-24. 2011
..One stressor of particular interest is pH. Biologic buffers, such as HEPES and MOPS, are valuable tools for stabilizing pH...
- Evaluation of different buffers on plasmid DNA encapsulation into PLGA microparticles
Man Tsuey Tse
Centre for Drug Delivery Research, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AX, United Kingdom
Int J Pharm 370:33-40. 2009
..This study compares the use of two buffers, 0.1M NaHCO(3) and 0...
- The concept of "buffering" in systems and control theory: from metaphor to math
Bernhard M Schmitt
Department of Anatomy I, University of Wurzburg, Koellikerstrasse 6, 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Chembiochem 5:1384-92. 2004
- Accumulation of succinimide in a recombinant monoclonal antibody in mildly acidic buffers under elevated temperatures
Grace C Chu
Department of Pharmaceutics, Amgen, Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, MS 8 1 C, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
Pharm Res 24:1145-56. 2007
The purpose of this paper was to identify the location of a succinimide and determine the rate of its formation and hydrolysis in a recombinant human monoclonal IgG2 antibody aged in mildly acidic buffers at elevated temperatures.
- Taurine buffers glutamate homeostasis in retinal cells in vitro under hypoxic conditions
Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Chongqing Key Laboratory of Nutrition and Food Safety, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Ophthalmic Res 44:105-12. 2010
..We investigated whether taurine indirectly protects neurons under hypoxia by affecting retinal Müller cells, which are known to play important roles in the regulation of retinal glutamate content...
- Use of biocompatible buffers to reduce the concentration overpotential for hydrogen evolution
Adriaan W Jeremiasse
Wetsus, Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Water Technology, Agora 1, P O Box 1113, 8900 CC Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Environ Sci Technol 43:6882-7. 2009
..Thus, to reduce the HER overpotential of an MEC, buffer (i.e., pKa), buffer concentration, linear flow speed, and current density must be well balanced with the expected operational pH...
- Simian virus 40 VP1 capsid protein forms polymorphic assemblies in vitro
Shin nosuke Kanesashi
Faculty of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8503, Japan
J Gen Virol 84:1899-905. 2003
..VP1 is thus quite unique in that it can assemble into such diverse structures. These observations provide clues that will help elucidate the mechanisms underlying SV40 capsid formation...
- Extra activation component of calcium release in frog muscle fibres
Paul C Pape
Département de Physiologie et Biophysique, Université de Sherbrooke Faculté de médicine, 3001, 12e Avenue Nord, Sherbrooke Quebec, Canada J1H 5N4
J Physiol 542:867-86. 2002
..The enhanced release probably involves CICR and appears to involve another positive feedback mechanism in which Ca(2+) release speeds up the activation of voltage sensors...
- Distinct properties of CRAC and MIC channels in RBL cells
J Ashot Kozak
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Gen Physiol 120:221-35. 2002
..The biophysical characteristics of MIC current match well with cloned and expressed TRPM7 channels. Previous results are reevaluated in terms of separate CRAC and MIC channels...
- Transmitter release modulation by intracellular Ca2+ buffers in facilitating and depressing nerve terminals of pyramidal cells in layer 2/3 of the rat neocortex indicates a target cell-specific difference in presynaptic calcium dynamics
Abteilung Zellphysiologie, Max-Planck-Institut fur medizinische Forschung, Jahnstrasse 29, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Physiol 531:807-26. 2001
..3. Intracellular loading of pyramidal neurones with the fast and slowly acting Ca2+ buffers BAPTA and EGTA differentially reduced transmitter release in these two types of terminal...
- Recruitment of Ca(2+) release channels by calcium-induced Ca(2+) release does not appear to occur in isolated Ca(2+) release sites in frog skeletal muscle
Département de Physiologie et Biophysique, Université de Sherbrooke Faculté de médicine, 3001, 12e Avenue Nord, Sherbrooke Quebec, Canada J1H 5N4
J Physiol 544:777-91. 2002
..Since BAPTA never decreased f(Ca), the results indicate that neighbouring channels are not activated by CICR with small depolarisations when [Ca(SR)] is 300-3000 microM...
- Hydroquinone as a buffer additive for suppression of bubbles formed by electrochemical oxidation of the CE buffer at the outlet electrode in capillary electrophoresis/electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Texas at Austin 78712, USA
Anal Chem 71:1658-61. 1999
- Microelectronic array devices and techniques for electric field enhanced DNA hybridization in low-conductance buffers
Nanogen Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Electrophoresis 23:1543-50. 2002
..With regard to the planar microelectronic array devices, special low-conductance buffers were developed in order to maintain rapid transport of DNA molecules and to facilitate hybridization within the ..
- Peritoneal dialysis fluids with a physiologic pH based on either lactate or bicarbonate buffer-effects on human mesothelial cells
Department of Nephrology and Rheumatology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Am J Kidney Dis 38:867-75. 2001
..However, distinct parameters of cell metabolism were superior with Bic compared with Lac. Especially Glupoly was inferior in combination with Lac as a buffer...
- The effects of training intensity on muscle buffer capacity in females
Team Sport Research Group, School of Human Movement and Exercise Science, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA, 6009, Australia
Eur J Appl Physiol 96:97-105. 2006
..This suggests that training intensity is an important determinant of changes to beta m(in vitro)...
- Calculation of the equilibrium pH in a multiple-buffered aqueous solution based on partitioning of proton buffering: a new predictive formula
Minhtri K Nguyen
Division of Nephrology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 10833 Le Conte Ave, Rm 7 155 Factor Bldg, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 296:F1521-9. 2009
Upon the addition of protons to an aqueous solution containing multiple buffers, the final H+ concentration ([H+]) at equilibrium is determined by the partitioning of added H+ among the various buffer components...
- Evaluation of the buffering capacity of powdered cow's, goat's and soy milk and non-prescription antacids in the treatment of non-ulcer dyspepsia
School of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
S Afr Med J 96:57-61. 2006
..Treatment choice commonly includes over the counter medicines and home remedies, e.g. milk...
- Rapid detection of Clostridium botulinum toxins A, B, E, and F in clinical samples, selected food matrices, and buffer using paramagnetic bead-based electrochemiluminescence detection
Victor R Rivera
U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, USA
Anal Biochem 353:248-56. 2006
..These rapid sensitive assays may have potential use in clinical settings, research studies, and screening of food products for botulinum toxins...
- Pain perception after subcutaneous injections of media containing different buffers
Medical Department M Diabetes and Endocrinology, Aarhus Sygehus, NBG, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 98:218-21. 2006
..after injection into the thigh of three formulations, which differed with respect to pH and buffers (histidine, citrate and saline, respectively)...
- The structure of DNA overstretched from the 5'5' ends differs from the structure of DNA overstretched from the 3'3' ends
Department of Physics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13196-201. 2009
..These differences and additional findings are well-accommodated by the corresponding structures predicted on theoretical grounds...
- Postcoital testing after the use of a bio-adhesive acid buffering gel (ACIDFORM) and a 2% nonoxynol-9 product
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, UNICAMP, Caixa Postal 6181, Campinas, SP CEP 13 084 971, Brazil
Contraception 70:492-7. 2004
..05, Wilcoxon test). All treated cycles had five or fewer progressively motile sperm in midcycle cervical mucus, confirming in vivo the spermicidal effect of ACIDFORM previously observed in vitro and in animal models...
- Intrinsic H(+) ion mobility in the rabbit ventricular myocyte
R D Vaughan-Jones
University Laboratory of Physiology, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
J Physiol 541:139-58. 2002
..of intracellular H(+) is discussed in terms of a diffusive shuttling of H(+) equivalents on high capacity mobile buffers which comprise about half (approximately 11 mM) of the total intrinsic buffering capacity within the myocyte (the ..
- Presynaptic Ca2+ buffers control the strength of a fast post-tetanic hyperpolarization mediated by the alpha3 Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase
Jun Hee Kim
The Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:196-205. 2007
..Notably, increasing the concentration of internal Ca(2+) buffers or decreasing Ca(2+) influx led to larger PTH amplitudes, indicating that an increase in [Ca(2+)](i) regulates ..
- Determination of impurities in heparin by capillary electrophoresis using high molarity phosphate buffers
Baxter Healthcare Corporation, Round Lake, IL 60073, USA
J Pharm Biomed Anal 49:319-26. 2009
..A high speed, high resolution version of the method was developed using 600mM lithium phosphate, pH 2.8 in a 21.5cm x 25microm i.d. capillary which provided limits of detection for OSCS that were below 0.1%...
- Cardiac-directed parvalbumin transgene expression in mice shows marked heart rate dependence of delayed Ca2+ buffering action
Sharlene M Day
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0644, USA
Physiol Genomics 33:312-22. 2008
..refining the dose and frequency-response relationships of Parv in the heart or engineering novel Parv-based Ca2+ buffers with modified Mg2+ and Ca2+ affinities to limit systolic Ca2+ buffering may hold promise for the development of ..
- Salivary proteins: protective and diagnostic value in cariology?
A van Nieuw Amerongen
Department of Oral Biochemistry, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands a van_nieuw_
Caries Res 38:247-53. 2004
..These are potentially suited as templates for the design of a new generation of antibiotics, since they kill a broad spectrum of microorganisms, while hardly evoking resistance, in contrast to the classical antibiotics...
- Infection-induced lung injury is worsened after renal buffering of hypercapnic acidosis
Alistair D Nichol
School of Medicine and Medical, Conway Institute, University, College Dublin, Ireland
Crit Care Med 37:2953-61. 2009
..We therefore wished to determine the effects of buffered hypercapnia on acute lung injury induced by endotoxin or Escherichia coli infection in vivo...
- Approximate analytical time-dependent solutions to describe large-amplitude local calcium transients in the presence of buffers
Lidia A Mironova
DFG Center of Molecular Physiology of the Brain, Department of Neuro and Sensory Physiology, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
Biophys J 94:349-58. 2008
..These nanodomains are formed due to combined effects of Ca(2+) diffusion and binding to the cytoplasmic buffers. In this article we derived simple analytical expressions to describe Ca(2+) diffusion in the presence of mobile ..
- Modeling of the modulation by buffers of Ca2+ release through clusters of IP3 receptors
Institute for Theoretical Physics, Technische Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Biophys J 97:992-1002. 2009
..It is modeled here by reaction-diffusion equations for the free Ca(2+) and Ca(2+) buffers, with spatially discrete clusters of stochastic IP(3) receptor channels (IP(3)Rs) controlling the release of Ca(2+..
- Presynaptic Ca2+ dynamics, Ca2+ buffers and synaptic efficacy
Department of Experimental Neurophysiology, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, CNCR, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, De Boelelaan 1087, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cell Calcium 37:489-95. 2005
..diffusional distance between the source of Ca2+ and the Ca2+ sensor and Ca2+ buffering by endogenous Ca2+ buffers. In many synapses transmitter release can be enhanced (facilitated) during repetitive activity of neurons...
- Total weak acid concentration and effective dissociation constant of nonvolatile buffers in human plasma
P D Constable
Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61802, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 91:1364-71. 2001
..The approach requires species-specific values for the total concentration of plasma nonvolatile buffers (A(tot)) and the effective dissociation constant for plasma nonvolatile buffers (K(a)), but these values have not ..
- Investigations into the stabilization of drugs by sugar glasses: III. The influence of various high-pH buffers
Jonas H C Eriksson
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmacy, University of Groningen, 9713 AV Groningen, The Netherlands
Pharm Res 20:1437-43. 2003
To study the effect of the high-pH buffers ammediol, borax, CHES, TRIS, and Tricine on the glass transition temperature of the freeze concentrated fraction (Tg') of trehalose/buffer and inulin/buffer solutions at pH 6.0 and pH 9.8...
- The important role of taurine in oxidative metabolism
Svend Høime Hansen
Department of Clinical Biochemistry 3 01 3, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Adv Exp Med Biol 583:129-35. 2006
..Consequently, the model represents a new concept for understanding mitochondrial dysfunction by emphasising the importance of taurine for providing sufficient pH buffering in the mitochondrial matrix...
- Sample solublization buffers for two-dimensional electrophoresis
Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 424:35-42. 2008
..In this chapter, the major constituents of sample solubilization/lysis buffers will be briefly reviewed, some general sample preparation guidelines will be given, and the most common protein ..
- Saltatory and continuous calcium waves and the rapid buffering approximation
Damián E Strier
Departamento de Fisica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Biophys J 85:3575-86. 2003
..However, most models of calcium waves either treat buffers phenomenologically or assume that they are in equilibrium with calcium (the rapid buffering approximation)...
- The thermodynamics of the partitioning of ionizing molecules between aqueous buffers and phospholipid membranes
Rupert P Austin
Department of Physical and Metabolic Sciences, AstraZeneca R and D Charnwood, Bakewell Road, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 5RH, UK
Pharm Res 22:1649-57. 2005
To study the thermodynamics of partitioning of eight ionising dual D2-recepto beta2-adrenoceptor agonists between vesicles of L-alpha-dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and aqueous buffers.
- Enhancement of in vitro hair shaft elongation in follicles stored in buffers that prevent follicle cell apoptosis
Moser Medical Group, Clinic Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Dermatol Surg 30:1-5; discussion 5. 2004
..In this study, we investigated the effect of different storage solutions and inhibitors of apoptotic cell death (ACD) on hair follicle cell viability by measuring in vitro hair shaft elongation (HSE) for 5 days...
- Luminal Ca(2+) content regulates intracellular Ca(2+) release in subepicardial myocytes of intact beating mouse hearts: effect of exogenous buffers
School of Engineering, Univ of California Merced, 5200 N Lake Rd, Merced, CA 95343, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H2138-53. 2010
..Thus, intra-SR Ca(2+) dynamics set the refractoriness and frequency dependence of Ca(2+) transients in subepicardial ventricular myocytes...
- Modeling Ca2+ feedback on a single inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor and its modulation by Ca2+ buffers
Department of Physics, Xiamen University, Xiamen, China
Biophys J 95:3738-52. 2008
..A major conclusion is that self-activation depends crucially on stationary cytosolic Ca(2+) buffers that slow the collapse of the local [Ca(2+)] microdomain after closure...
- Experimental determination of net protein charge and A(tot) and K(a) of nonvolatile buffers in canine plasma
Peter D Constable
Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
J Vet Intern Med 19:507-14. 2005
..simplified strong ion approach, which requires accurate values for the total concentration of plasma nonvolatile buffers (A(tot)) and the effective dissociation constant for plasma weak acids (K(a))...
- Proton transfer dynamics at the membrane/water interface: dependence on the fixed and mobile pH buffers, on the size and form of membrane particles, and on the interfacial potential barrier
Dmitry A Cherepanov
Division of Biophysics, Faculty of Biology Chemistry, University of Osnabruck, D 49069 Osnabruck, Germany
Biophys J 86:665-80. 2004
..the system of diffusion equations we analyzed how the proton relaxation depends on the concentration of mobile pH buffers, on the surface buffer capacity, on the form and size of membrane particles, and on the height of the potential ..
- Improved acidosis correction and recovery of mesothelial cell mass with neutral-pH bicarbonate dialysis solution among children undergoing automated peritoneal dialysis
Children s Hospital, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:2632-8. 2003
..Among children undergoing APD, neutral-pH, bicarbonate-buffered PD fluid provides more effective correction of metabolic acidosis and better preservation of peritoneal cell mass than do conventional, acidic, lactate-based fluids...
- Combining voltage and calcium imaging from neuronal dendrites
Biozentrum, Department of Pharmacology and Neurobiology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Cell Mol Neurobiol 28:1079-93. 2008
..Using these two examples, the method is explained in detail...
- DNA and buffers: are there any noninteracting, neutral pH buffers?
N C Stellwagen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Anal Biochem 287:167-75. 2000
The interaction of DNA with various neutral pH, amine-based buffers has been analyzed by free solution capillary electrophoresis, using a mixture of a plasmid-sized DNA molecule and a small DNA oligonucleotide as the reporter system...
- Dissolution media simulating conditions in the proximal human gastrointestinal tract: an update
Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Pharm Res 25:1663-76. 2008
- Influence of alkaline buffers on cytoplasmic pH in myocardial cells exposed to metabolic acidosis
Y C Li
Department of Anaesthesiology, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Resuscitation 32:33-44. 1996
The influence of different clinically used alkaline buffers on cytoplasmic pH in normal as well as acidotic rat myocardial cells was investigated in this study by means of the fluorescent intracellular probe 2',7'-bis-(carboxyethyl)-5,6-..