Genomes and Genes
Summary: Substances added to foods and medicine to improve the quality of taste.
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- Taste-olfactory convergence, and the representation of the pleasantness of flavour, in the human brainIvan E T de Araujo
University of Oxford, Department of Experimental Psychology, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3UD, UK
Eur J Neurosci 18:2059-68. 2003..These results provide evidence on the neural substrate for the convergence of taste and olfactory stimuli to produce flavour in humans, and where the pleasantness of flavour is represented in the human brain...
- Flavour profiles of three novel acidic varieties of muskmelon (Cucumis melo L.)Stella Lignou
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AP, United Kingdom
Food Chem 139:1152-60. 2013..This study showed quantitative and qualitative differences among all four varieties and key differences between acidic varieties and standard melons...
- Lateral hypothalamic lesions impair flavour-nutrient and flavour-toxin trace learning in ratsKhalid Touzani
Department of Psychology, Brooklyn College and the Graduate School, The City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY 11210, USA
Eur J Neurosci 16:2425-33. 2002..Lateral hypothalamus lesions might specifically impair the processing of nutrient-generated unconditioned stimuli and, more generally, could interfere with the maintenance of flavour memories...
- Microbial formation of estersYong Cheol Park
Department of General Education, Kookmin University, Seoul, South Korea
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 85:13-25. 2009..The use of these ester-forming organisms or recombinant organisms expressing the appropriate genes as biocatalysts in biotechnology to make specific esters and chiral lactones has been studied in recent years...
- Coactivation of gustatory and olfactory signals in flavor perceptionMaria G Veldhuizen
The John B Pierce Laboratory, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
Chem Senses 35:121-33. 2010....
- Palatability of oral antibiotics among children in an urban primary care centerM L Angelilli
Division of General Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, Detroit 48201, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154:267-70. 2000..To evaluate the palatability of antimicrobial agents effective against beta-lactamase-producing bacteria in American children...
- A review and assessment of menthol employed as a cigarette flavoring ingredientJ Daniel Heck
Scientific Affairs, AW Spears Research Center, Lorillard Tobacco Company, PO Box 21688, Greensboro, NC 27420 1688, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 48:S1-38. 2010....
- Bitterness suppression with zinc sulfate and na-cyclamate: a model of combined peripheral and central neural approaches to flavor modificationRussell S J Keast
Food Science, RMIT University, Cnr Russell and Victoria St, Melbourne, Victoria 3001, Australia
Pharm Res 22:1970-7. 2005..Yet, zinc sulfate does not inhibit the sweetener Na-cyclamate. Thus, we determined whether a mixture of zinc sulfate and Na-cyclamate would be a particularly effective combination for bitterness inhibition (Zn) and masking (cyclamate)...
- The effect of tobacco ingredients on smoke chemistry. Part I: Flavourings and additivesRichard R Baker
British American Tobacco, Research and Development Centre, Regent s Park Road, Southampton SO15 8TL, UK
Food Chem Toxicol 42:S3-37. 2004..This was the case in the present study and all the methods have been validated internally...
- The secret and soul of Marlboro: Phillip Morris and the origins, spread, and denial of nicotine freebasingTerrell Stevenson
School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1184-94. 2008..g., for flavoring and expanding tobacco volume) to defend itself against charges of manipulating the nicotine deliveries of its cigarettes...
- Area postrema lesions impair flavor-toxin aversion learning but not flavor-nutrient preference learningKhalid Touzani
Department of Psychology, City University of New York, Brooklyn College and the Graduate School, New York 11210, USA
Behav Neurosci 116:256-66. 2002..These findings confirm the important role of the area postrema in flavor-toxin learning but provide no evidence for its involvement in flavor-nutrient conditioning...
- Insular cortex lesions fail to block flavor and taste preference learning in ratsKhalid Touzani
Department of Psychology, Brooklyn College and the Graduate School, City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY 11210, USA
Eur J Neurosci 26:1692-700. 2007..Collectively, these data provided no evidence that IC is essential for flavor preference learning based on associations between the orosensory cues and the oral and post-oral reinforcing properties of nutrients...
- Toxicity of hypercaloric diet and monosodium glutamate: oxidative stress and metabolic shifting in hepatic tissueYeda S Diniz
Post Graduation Course Department of Clinical and Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, UNESP, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Food Chem Toxicol 42:313-19. 2004..Therefore, the hepatic glucose metabolic shifting induced by HD intake and MSG administration were associated with oxidative stress in hepatic tissue...
- Flavour exposures after conditioned aversion or preference trigger different brain processes in anaesthetised pigsA Gaultier
INRA, UMR1079 SENAH, 35590 Saint Gilles, France
Eur J Neurosci 34:1500-11. 2011..This study reveals the unconscious cognitive dimension evoked by food flavours according to the individual experience, and highlights the importance of the food sensory image on hedonism and anticipatory eating behaviour...
- Synthesis and odor evaluation of five new sulfur-containing ester flavor compounds from 4-ethyloctanoic acidYuping Liu
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Shaanxi University of Science and Technology, Xi an, China
Molecules 15:5104-11. 2010..These five synthetic sulfur-containing ester flavor compounds all have meaty odor and might be used in foods if approved for this purpose in the future...
- Predicting the hepatocarcinogenic potential of alkenylbenzene flavoring agents using toxicogenomics and machine learningScott S Auerbach
National Toxicology Program, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, RTP, NC 27709, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 243:300-14. 2010..using expression data from the liver of rats exposed at 2 dose levels to a collection of alkenylbenzene flavoring agents. Depending on the model used and the exposure duration of the test data, independent validation error rates ..
- Taste test: children rate flavoring agents used with activated charcoalE Guenther Skokan
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Primary Children s Medical Center, University of Utah School of Medicine, 100 N Medical Dr, Salt Lake City, UT 84113, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 155:683-6. 2001To compare flavoring agents added to activated charcoal (AC) to determine which mixture is most palatable to children.
- Flavour retention and release from protein solutionsElisabeth Guichard
UMR INRA ENESAD FLAVIC, FLAveur, Vision et Comportement du consommateur, INRA, 17 rue Sully, 21065 Dijon Cedex, France
Biotechnol Adv 24:226-9. 2006..During the aroma release process in the mouth, not only free aroma compounds are released but also those reversibly bound by the protein, pointing out the fact that flavour perception is only affected if strong binding occurs...
- The receptors for mammalian sweet and umami tasteGrace Q Zhao
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Departments of Biology and Neurosciences, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell 115:255-66. 2003....
- Use of multiple headspace solid-phase microextraction and pervaporation for the determination of off-flavours in wineJ L Gomez-Ariza
Universidad de Huelva, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Quimica y Ciencia de los Materiales, Campus de El Carmen, 21007 Huelva, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1112:133-40. 2006..The analytical approaches have been applied to the analysis of haloanisoles in different Spanish white and red wines, in which spiking experiments showed good recoveries for the methodologies assayed...
- Monosodium glutamate and sweet taste: generalization of conditioned taste aversion between glutamate and sweet stimuli in ratsB R Heyer
Neuroscience Program, Department of Psychology, Regis University, Denver, CO 80221, USA
Chem Senses 28:631-41. 2003..These findings support the hypothesis that the taste of MSG has broadly tuned, sweet-like characteristics, possibly due to the convergence of afferent signals for MSG, natural sugars and artificial sweeteners...
- Intake, sweetness and liking during modified sham feeding of sucrose solutionsD A Klein
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons NYSPI, New York, NY, USA
Physiol Behav 87:602-6. 2006..The effects of sucrose were presumably due to orosensory stimulation in the absence of postingestive stimulation because the amount of liquid spit out did not differ significantly from the amount sipped...
- Influence of proteins on the perception of flavored stirred yogurtsA Saint-Eve
Unité Mixte de Recherche de Génie et Microbiologie des Procédés Alimentaires, INA PG INRA, 78850 Thiverval Grignon, France
J Dairy Sci 89:922-33. 2006..This result was in agreement with the physicochemical measurements, which showed a higher retention of a large majority of aroma compounds of the strawberry flavor in the yogurts with a high caseinate ratio...
- Synthesis and sensory characterization of novel umami-tasting glutamate glycoconjugatesErsan Beksan
Deutsche Forschungsanstalt fur Lebensmittelchemie, Lichtenbergstrasse 4, 85748 Garching, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 51:5428-36. 2003..However, it rapidly hydrolyzes in neutral and acidic solutions, giving rise to glucose and glutamate. In contrast, glycoconjugate 2 was observed to be rather stable in aqueous solution as well as in the presence of human saliva...
- Use of natural food flavours to increase food and nutrient intakes in hospitalized elderly in Hong KongC Jeya K Henry
Nutrition and Food Science Group, School of Biological and Molecular Sciences Oxford Brookes University, Gipsy Lane Campus OX3 0BP Headington, Oxford, UK
Int J Food Sci Nutr 54:321-7. 2003..Further work to investigate the long-term effect of natural food flavours on food and nutrient intakes in the elderly is required...
- Liking and exposure: first, second and tenth time aroundMichael Bom Frøst
Department of Food Science, Centre for Advanced Food Studies LMC, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University KVL, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Physiol Behav 89:47-52. 2006..11.6% of the 720 analyzed changes in liking ratings were larger that 7.5 cm, corresponding to half the size of the scale...
- Flavor enhancement as a tool for increasing pleasantness and intake of a snack product among the elderlyS Koskinen
Department of Food Technology, University of Helsinki, PO Box 27, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Appetite 41:87-96. 2003..Overall, both age groups ate less of the heightened aroma sample. Despite the impaired olfactory capabilities of the elderly, no clear indication of benefit of the enhanced flavor was found for either pleasantness or intake...
- Product-oriented flavor research: learnings from the past, visions for the futureGerhard E Krammer
Symrise, Anton Jaumann Industriepark, Nördlingen, Germany
Mol Nutr Food Res 50:345-50. 2006..This situation generates new challenges for product development teams, which represent all facets of technologies. This paper will illustrate different examples for the evolution of product-oriented flavor research and future trends...
- Flavours of cheese products: metabolic pathways, analytical tools and identification of producing strainsL Marilley
Swiss Federal Dairy Research Station, Schwarzenburgstr 161, Liebefeld, Bern CH 3003, Switzerland
Int J Food Microbiol 90:139-59. 2004..The techniques of detection of flavour-producing strains are then presented. Their detection may be achieved either by genotyping, by enzymatic analysis, or by physico-chemical analysis such as HPLC, TLC, GC, and electronic nose...
- Release of peppermint flavour compounds from chewing gum: effect of oral functionsAnne Mette Haahr
Danish Institute for Fisheries Research, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Physiol Behav 82:531-40. 2004..In conclusion, flavour release to the retronasal compartment was dependent on MMA and CF and influenced by the volume of saliva present in the mouth...
- Volatile flavor analysis and sensory evaluation of custard desserts varying in type and concentration of carboxymethyl celluloseSaskia M van Ruth
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork, Western Road, Cork, Ireland
J Agric Food Chem 52:8105-10. 2004..Opening and closing of the nasal cavity is regarded as an important factor determining the discrepancy between static and in-nose measurements...
- Oral delivery of medications to companion animals: palatability considerationsAvinash G Thombre
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Eastern Point Road, Groton, CT 06340, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 56:1399-413. 2004..This review focuses on the science of taste, food and flavor preferences of dogs and cats, and palatability testing, in the context of applying these principles to the development of an oral palatable tablet for companion animals...
- The interaction of disulfide flavor compounds with proteins in model systemsDonald S Mottram
The University of Reading, School of Food Biosciences, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AP, United Kingdom
Adv Exp Med Biol 542:147-53. 2004
- Flavour-flavour learning occurs automatically and only in hungry participantsJeffrey M Brunstrom
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, 12a Priory Road, Bristol, BS8 1TU, England, United Kingdom
Physiol Behav 93:13-9. 2008..Learning was not predicted by dietary restraint (measured using the DEBQ-R scale). Together, these findings provide further evidence for a linkage between flavour-flavour learning and flavour-nutrient learning...
- Intakes of cold cuts in the elderly are predicted by olfaction and mood, but not by flavor type or intensity of the productsSari Koskinen
Department of Food Technology, P O Box 66, FIN 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Physiol Behav 85:314-23. 2005..Path analysis suggested that in the Enhancement group, poor health, depressed mood and high age predicted a poor olfactory performance which, along with ratings of liking, increased the consumed amounts of cold cuts...
- Odor-active constituents in fresh pineapple (Ananas comosus [L.] Merr.) by quantitative and sensory evaluationYukiko Tokitomo
Faculty of Education and Human Sciences, University of Yamanashi, 4 4 37 Takeda, Kofu, Yamanashi 400 8510, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:1323-30. 2005..Furthermore, the results of omission tests using the model mixture showed that HDF and ethyl 2-methylbutanoate are character impact odorants in fresh pineapple...
- Elucidation of tautomer structures of 2-acetyltetrahydropyridine using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry and gas chromatography/infrared spectroscopyRobert A Sanders
The Procter and Gamble Company, Winton Hill Business Center, 6300 Center Hill Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45224, USA
Eur J Mass Spectrom (Chichester, Eng) 11:217-20. 2005..A combination of high resolution exact mass measurement and vapor phase infrared measurement of the separated tautomers was used to unambiguously assign the tautomer structures...
- Changes in selection and intake of foods in humans, induced by the addition of monosodium glutamateFrance Bellisle
INSERM U341, Hotel Dieu, Place du Parvis Notre Dame, 75181 Paris, France
Forum Nutr 56:84. 2003
- Effect of beta-cyclodextrin on aroma release and flavor perceptionAvinash Kant
Samworth Flavour Laboratory, Division of Food Sciences, School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Loughborough, Leics, LE12 5RD, United Kingdom
J Agric Food Chem 52:2028-35. 2004..Sensory difference testing confirmed the release results. The data demonstrate that beta-cyclodextrin can be used to modify flavor delivery in both model and real systems; the effects in the latter are sensorially significant...
- Effects of added glutamate on liking for novel food flavorsJohn Prescott
Sensory Science Research Centre, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Appetite 42:143-50. 2004..Pairing glutamate with a novel flavor can condition liking for that flavor. While post-ingestive effects of glutamate may be rewarding, flavor conditioning cannot be ruled out...
- Reinforcer devaluation in palatability-based learned flavor preferencesD M Dwyer
Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process 31:487-92. 2005....
- Different functional roles of T1R subunits in the heteromeric taste receptorsHong Xu
Senomyx, Inc, 11099 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:14258-63. 2004..Taken together, these findings demonstrate the different functional roles of T1R3 and T1R2 and the presence of multiple ligand binding sites on the sweet taste receptor...
- Unconditioned stimulus devaluation effects in nutrient-conditioned flavor preferencesAndrew R Delamater
Department of Psychology, Brooklyn College of the City University of New York CUNY, NY 11210, USA
J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process 32:295-306. 2006..Results suggest that CS flavors are able to form associations with the sensory features of nutrient USs under a wide variety of circumstances...
- Flavor enhancement of food improves dietary intake and nutritional status of elderly nursing home residentsM F Mathey
Division of Human Nutrition and Epidemiology, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:M200-5. 2001..CONCLUSION: Adding flavor enhancers to the cooked meals was an effective way to improve dietary intake and body weight in elderly nursing home residents...
- Voluntary drinking and hydration in non-acclimatized girls exercising in the heatBoguslaw Wilk
Children s Exercise and Nutrition Centre, McMaster University, Chedoke Hospital Division, Evel Building 4, Sanatorium Rd, Hamilton, ON, Canada, L8N 3Z5
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:727-34. 2007..In contrast to previous research in young boys, euhydration was maintained in the girls by an adequate intake of unflavored water...
- Use of adsorbent and supercritical carbon dioxide to concentrate flavor compounds from orange oilZhiping Shen
Food Science Australia, Private Bag 16, Werribee, Victoria 3030, Australia
J Agric Food Chem 50:154-60. 2002..1 MPa, 35 degrees C, and 2 kg/h. The systems were operating at close to equilibrium conditions because of the fine dispersal of the oils and the excellent mass transfer properties of supercritical carbon dioxide...
- The sensory interactions of organic acids and various flavors in ramen soup systemsM W Kang
Dept of Food Science and Technology, Ewha Womans Univ, Seoul 120 750, South Korea
J Food Sci 72:S639-47. 2007..In kimchi ramen soup, flavor attributes congruent to sourness were enhanced by the addition of organic acids to the system...
- Differential hedonic, sensory and behavioral changes associated with flavor-nutrient and flavor-flavor learningMartin R Yeomans
Department of Psychology, University of Sussex, Brighton, United Kingdom
Physiol Behav 93:798-806. 2008..These findings suggest that liking changes were maximal when flavor-flavor and flavor-nutrient associations co-occurred, but that behavioral changes were specific to flavor-nutrient associations...
- Acquired flavor acceptance and intake facilitated by monosodium glutamate in humansMartin R Yeomans
Department of Psychology, University of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QH, UK
Physiol Behav 93:958-66. 2008..These findings demonstrate that co-experience of a savory flavor and MSG can result in increased subsequent liking and intake for the flavor in the absence of MSG, and possible explanations for how MSG reinforces learning are discussed...
- Aroma components of an oil-based grill flavoring by direct thermal desorption-gas chromatography-olfactometry and sample dilution analysisT E Webb
Department of Food Science and Technology, MISSISSIPPI AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION, Mississippi State University, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 488:143-50. 2001..Excluding the possibility of artifact formation from the thermal degradation of fatty acid hydroperoxides, DTD functioned well as a GCO technique, but poorly as a qualitative GC-MS technique...
- Practical synthesis of 3-methylnonane-2,4-dione, an intense strawlike and fruity flavored compoundY Kato
Technical Engineering Department, Fine Chemical Division, Takasago International Corporation, 1-5-1 Nishiyawata, Hiratsuka, Kanagawa 254-0073, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 49:3864-6. 2001..The purification of 3-methylnonane-2,4-dione with high purity was performed via copper complexes...
- Experimental studies of food choices and palatability responses in European subjects exposed to the Umami tasteFrance Bellisle
INSERM U557, INRA U1125, CNAM EA 3200, Univ Paris13, CRNH IdF, Unite de Recherche en Epidemiologie Nutritionnelle, 74 rue Marcel Cachin, F 93017 Bobigny, France
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17:376-9. 2008..These two studies suggested that MSG could be used to stimulate appropriate food choices in certain populations...
- The science and complexity of bitter tasteA Drewnowski
Nutritional Sciences Program, University of Washington, Seattle 98195-3410, USA
Nutr Rev 59:163-9. 2001..Used as a flavoring agent, it enhances the sensory appeal of beverages. Research developments on the genetics and perception of bitter taste add to our understanding of the role of bitterness in relation to food preference...
- Influence of flavor solvent on flavor release and perception in sugar-free chewing gumRajesh V Potineni
Department of Food Science, 327 Food Science Building, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802 2504, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:3254-9. 2008..However, a relationship between gum base plasticity and retention of sugar alcohol during mastication was proposed to explain the different flavor properties of the TA sample...
- Conditioned flavor preferences: evaluating postingestive reinforcement by nutrientsK Ackroff
Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Curr Protoc Neurosci . 2001..This protocol concentrates on controlling stimulus presentation in associative conditioning, pairing a flavor with positive postingestive effects...
- Analyzing the sensory characteristics and taste-sensor ions of MSG substitutesM N Jo
CJ CheilJedang Corp, Seoul 152 051, South Korea
J Food Sci 73:S191-8. 2008..Therefore, when replacing MSG, the characteristics of each possible substitute should be determined in relation to the particular food system...
- Headspace GC and sensory analysis characterization of the influence of different milk additives on the flavor release of coffee beveragesMark Bücking
Institute of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, Department of Food Chemistry, University of Hamburg, Grindelallee 117, 20146 Hamburg, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 50:1529-34. 2002..All beverages with an additive showed reduced, but typical, odor profiles for each additive...
- Generation of roasted notes based on 2-acetyl-2-thiazoline and its precursor, 2-(1-hydroxyethyl)-4,5-dihydrothiazole, by combined bio and thermal approachesRachid Bel Rhlid
Nestec Ltd, Nestle Research Center, Vers chez les Blanc, P O Box 44, 1000 Lausanne 26, Switzerland
J Agric Food Chem 50:2350-5. 2002..The addition of 2-(1-hydroxyethyl)-4,5-dihydrothiazole as aroma precursor to pizza dough resulted in an increase of the roasted note...
- Influence of flavour absorption by food-packaging materials (low-density polyethylene, polycarbonate and polyethylene terephthalate) on taste perception of a model solution and orange juiceR W G van Willige
Laboratory of Food Chemistry, Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences, Wageningen University, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
Food Addit Contam 20:84-91. 2003....
- No effect of 16 weeks flavor enhancement on dietary intake and nutritional status of nursing home elderlyNatasja H Essed
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, PO Box 8129, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appetite 48:29-36. 2007..More research is needed to determine the efficacy of flavor enhancement on intake and nutritional status...
- The effect of saliva composition on texture perception of semi-solidsLina Engelen
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Arch Oral Biol 52:518-25. 2007..Total protein concentration and alpha-amylase activity were observed to correlate most strongly with texture perception...
- Fat and sugar flavor preference and acceptance in C57BL/6J and 129 mice: experience attenuates strain differencesAnthony Sclafani
Department of Psychology, Brooklyn College and the Graduate School, The City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY 11210 2889, USA
Physiol Behav 90:602-11. 2007..These findings along with intragastric infusion data suggest that B6 and 129 mice differ in their oral but not their post-oral response to fat and sugar...
- Influence of eggs on the aroma composition of a sponge cake and on the aroma release in model studies on flavored sponge cakesMaria Angeles Pozo-Bayón
UMR Flavic INRA ENESAD, 17 Rue Sully BP, 86510 Dijon Cedex, France
J Agric Food Chem 55:1418-26. 2007....
- The effect of viscosity on the perception of flavourTracy A Hollowood
Samworth Flavour Laboratory, Division of Food Sciences, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Loughborough LE12 5RD, UK
Chem Senses 27:583-91. 2002..Low-order polynomial models were produced to describe perceived flavour intensity and sweetness in viscous solutions containing HPMC and potential explanations for the changes in perception are discussed...
- Preliminary characterization of wild lactic acid bacteria and their abilities to produce flavour compounds in ripened model cheese systemC L Randazzo
DOFATA, Sezione Tecnologie Agroalimentari, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
J Appl Microbiol 103:427-35. 2007..The aim of this work was to preliminary characterize wild lactic acid bacteria (LAB), previously isolated during artisanal Pecorino Siciliano (PS) cheese-making for technological and flavour formation abilities in a model cheese system...
- Application of pulsed field gradient NMR techniques for investigating binding of flavor compounds to macromoleculesDa Mi Jung
Department of Viticulture and Enology, and NMR Instrumentation Facility, University of California, Davis, California 95616 8749, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:4262-9. 2002..The results successfully demonstrate the potential applications of diffusion-based NMR techniques for studying flavors and nonvolatile food matrix interactions...
- The nutritional consequences of flavored-milk consumption by school-aged children and adolescents in the United StatesRachel K Johnson
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, The University of Vermont, Burlington 05405, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:853-6. 2002
- Characterization of the aroma of a meatlike process flavoring from soybean-based enzyme-hydrolyzed vegetable proteinYi Fang G Wu
School of Human Ecology, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, Louisiana 71272, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:2900-7. 2002....
- Combination of flavor enhancement and chemosensory education improves nutritional status in older cancer patientsS S Schiffman
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 11:439-54. 2007....
- Protic acid immobilized on solid support as an extremely efficient recyclable catalyst system for a direct and atom economical esterification of carboxylic acids with alcoholsAsit K Chakraborti
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Sector 67, S A S Nagar 160 062, Punjab, India
J Org Chem 74:5967-74. 2009..of the esterification process is demonstrated by the synthesis of prodrugs of ibuprofen and a few commercial flavoring agents. Other protic acids such as H(2)SO(4), HBr, TfOH, HBF(4), and TFA that were adsorbed on silica gel were less ..
- Release of nucleotides and nucleosides during yeast autolysis: kinetics and potential impact on flavorClaudine Charpentier
UMR 1131, Vigne et Vin d Alsace, Colmar, France
J Agric Food Chem 53:3000-7. 2005Nucleotides, particularly 5'-nucleotides, are important flavoring agents found in many foods and beverages. Their precise effect on the flavor of wines aged on lees has not been examined previously...
- Panmasala chewing induces deterioration in oral health and its implications in carcinogenesisSunil Kumar
Division of Reproductive and Cyto toxicology, National Institute of Occupational Health, Ahmedabad, India
Toxicol Mech Methods 18:665-77. 2008..Panmasala consists of areca nut (betel nut), catechu, lime, cardamom, spices, and unspecified flavoring agents, etc...
- Effects of limonene and essential oil from Citrus aurantium on gastric mucosa: role of prostaglandins and gastric mucus secretionThiago M Moraes
Sao Paulo State University, Department of Physiology, Rubiao Junior, CP 510, CEP 18618 000, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chem Biol Interact 180:499-505. 2009Essential oil from Citrus aurantium and the monoterpene limonene are widely used flavoring agents that are found in some common food items. This specie is also used medicinally throughout the world to treat gastritis and gastric disorders...
- Toxicological considerations on the use of propylene glycol as a humectant in cigarettesCharles L Gaworski
Altria Client Services, 601 East Jackson Street, Richmond, VA 23261, USA
Toxicology 269:54-66. 2010..toxicological examinations of the effects on the addition of PG to tobacco used mixtures with several other flavoring agents. In the present work, toxicological comparisons were made of experimental cigarettes containing no added PG ..
- Acute allergic contact dermatitis of the lips from peppermint oil in a lip balmAnh Tran
Division of Family Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Dermatitis 21:111-5. 2010..tested with the North American Contact Dermatitis Group standard series as well as with an expanded series of flavoring agents, sunscreens, plant and fragrance components, and their own products...
- Factors contributing to adverse soft tissue reactions due to the use of tartar control toothpastes: report of a case and literature reviewV F Delattre
The University of Texas Houston Health Science Center Dental Branch 77030, USA
J Periodontol 70:803-7. 1999..Second, increased concentrations of flavoring agents, known to be sensitizers, are needed to mask the strong bitter taste of pyrophosphates...
- Investigations on N-nitrosopyrrolidine in dry-cured baconW Fiddler
U S Department of Agriculture, Eastern Regional Research Center, Philadelphia, PA 19118
J Assoc Off Anal Chem 72:19-22. 1989..include the direct application of dry-cure formulations containing varying concentrations of salt, sugar, flavoring agents, sodium nitrite, and sometimes sodium nitrate, and the use of lengthy curing and processing times...
- Characterization of the p-coumaric acid decarboxylase from Lactobacillus plantarum CECT 748(T)Hector Rodriguez
Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales, CSIC, Juan de la Cierva 3, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 56:3068-72. 2008..from p-coumaric and ferulic acids, respectively, which are valuable food additives that have been approved as flavoring agents. The biochemical characteristics showed by L...
- Induced sputum evaluation in microwave popcorn production workersMuge Akpinar-Elci
NIOSH Division of Respiratory Diseases Studies, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Field Studies Branch, Mail Stop H 2800, 1095 Willowdale Rd, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Chest 128:991-7. 2005..obliterans have been reported in microwave popcorn production workers and attributed to inhalation of flavoring agents. We investigated whether exposure to flavoring agents is associated with airways inflammation in popcorn ..
- Toxicological comparisons of cigarettes containing different amounts of vanillinRanulfo Lemus
Philip Morris USA, Inc, Richmond, Virginia 23234, USA
Inhal Toxicol 19:683-99. 2007..examinations of the effects on the addition of vanillin to tobacco used mixtures with several other flavoring agents. In the present work, toxicological comparisons were made of experimental cigarettes containing no added ..
- Molecular targets of nutraceuticals derived from dietary spices: potential role in suppression of inflammation and tumorigenesisBharat B Aggarwal
Cytokine Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, Box 143, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 234:825-49. 2009..Spices have been consumed for centuries for a variety of purposes-as flavoring agents, colorants, and preservatives...
- Isolation and identification of a novel strain of Pseudomonas chlororaphis capable of transforming isoeugenol to vanillinRamesh C Kasana
Hill Area Tea Science Division, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology, Post Box No 6, Palampur, 176061, Himachal Pradesh, India
Curr Microbiol 54:457-61. 2007Vanillin is undoubtedly one of the most popular and widely used flavoring agents in the world...
- Validation of a rat behavioral avoidance model from a drug delivery perspectiveMeenakshi G Bhat
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Int J Pharm 303:31-6. 2005..used to overcome the bitter taste perception of pharmaceuticals by coating the drug particles and/or adding flavoring agents. However, for certain product categories such as rapid dissolve sublingual tablets, taste-masking is ..
- Thresholds of carcinogenicity of flavorsWilliam J Waddell
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
Toxicol Sci 68:275-9. 2002..of these linear fits was at least several orders of magnitude greater than the estimated daily dose of these flavoring agents to individuals in the United States...
- The influence of salivary variables on fluoride retention in dental plaque exposed to a mineral-enriching solutionK Kato
Department of Preventive Dentistry and Dental Public Health, School of Dentistry, Aichi Gakuin University, Nagoya, Japan
Caries Res 36:58-63. 2002..Plaque exposed to distilled water plus flavoring agents served as a control. Fluoride-free dentifrice was used during the experimental period...
- Flavoring agents used in Indian cooking and their anticarcinogenic propertiesChaiti Ganguly
Department of Biotechnology IILM Academy of Higher Learning, Greater Noida, India
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 11:25-8. 2010..Thus there is a long way to go before scientific validation of the role of flavoring agents of cancer can be achieved.
- The nature of human hazards associated with excessive intake of amino acidsPeter J Garlick
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Nutr 134:1633S-1639S; discussion 1664S-1666S, 1667S-1672S. 2004..This has resulted not only from the use of certain amino acids as flavoring agents, but other amino acids are taken for perceived health benefit, for enhancement of physical performance, as ..
- [Use of threshold of toxicological concern for chemical substances safety assessment]Minglan Zheng
School of Public Health National Key Lab for Public Health Safety of MOH WHO Collaborating Center for Occupational Health Shanghai, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 39:639-42. 2010..Currently, TTC approach is used for safety assessment in the fields of food packing material, flavoring agents, medicine, industry chemicals, cosmetics, and etc...
- Higher nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in menthol cigarette smokers with and without schizophreniaJill M Williams
UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and UMDNJ School of Public Health Tobacco Dependence Program, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:873-81. 2007..Menthol is an important cigarette additive that may help explain why some groups have lower quit rates and more smoking-caused disease...
- Reducing sodium in foods: the effect on flavorDjin Gie Liem
School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Sensory Science Group, Deakin University, Melbourne 3125, Vic, Australia
Nutrients 3:694-711. 2011..e., potassium salts) and gradual reduction of sodium, to decrease sodium in processed foods while maintaining palatability...
- Milk, flavoured milk products and cariesR S Levine
Br Dent J 191:20. 2001..Available evidence suggests that their cariogenicity is negligible to low and consumed in moderation they are a preferable alternative to similarly sweetened soft drinks...
- Real time breath and headspace analysis of flavour volatilesB A Harvey
FIRMENICH S A, Meyrin, Switzerland
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 55:261-9. 2003..It is proposed that these advances may be applied with similar benefits in the pharmaceutical industry, particularly in the improvement of the flavour acceptability of orally administered drugs...
- Comparison of estimated daily per capita intakes of flavouring substances with no-observed-effect levels from animal studiesI C Munro
Cantox Health Sciences International, 2233 Argentia Road, Suite 308, Mississauga, ON, Canada
Food Chem Toxicol 39:331-54. 2001..98% of flavouring substances have margins of safety greater than 1000, illustrating that even if intake was underestimated by several fold, in almost every case, a wide margin of safety would still exist...
- Headspace-single drop microextraction (HS-SDME) in combination with high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) to evaluate the content of alkyl- and methoxy-phenolic compounds in biomass smokeArturo A Rincón
Departamento de Quimica Analitica, Nutricion y Bromatologia, Universidad de La Laguna ULL, La Laguna Tenerife, Spain
Talanta 85:1265-73. 2011..The main components of the smokes were vanillin, phenol and methoxyphenols, in all smoking materials studied...
- Analysis of the inhibition of food spoilage yeasts by vanillinDaniel J Fitzgerald
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UA, UK
Int J Food Microbiol 86:113-22. 2003..It was observed that increased vanillin concentrations inhibited its own bioconversion suggesting that the activity required intact cells with metabolic capacity...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in liquid smoke flavorings obtained from different types of wood. Effect of storage in polyethylene flasks on their concentrationsM D Guillén
Tecnologia de Alimentos, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad del Pais Vasco, Paseo de la Universidad, No 7, 01006 Vitoria, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 48:5083-7. 2000..It has also been observed that the storage of smoke flavorings in polyethylene flasks reduces the concentration of some PAHs...
- Caffeine as a flavor additive in soft-drinksRussell S J Keast
School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, Victoria 3125, Australia
Appetite 49:255-9. 2007..001), but all subjects failed to distinguish between caffeinated and non-caffeinated cola beverage (p=1.0). Caffeine has no flavor activity in soft-drinks yet will induce a physiologic and psychologic desire to consume the drink...
- A study on volatile organic compounds (VOCs) produced by tropical ascomycetous yeastsPietro Buzzini
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale e Biotecnologie Agroambientali, Sezione di Microbiologia Applicata, Universita di Perugia, Borgo XX Giugno, 06100 Perugia, Italy
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 84:301-11. 2003..From a biotechnological viewpoint, this study reveals the potentiality of ascomycetous yeasts isolated from tropical environments as a promising source of VOCs relevant in food and fragrance industry...
- Bioflavour production from orange peel hydrolysate using immobilized Saccharomyces cerevisiaeSofia Lalou
Laboratory of Food Chemistry and Technology, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 97:9397-407. 2013....
- Vanillin and vanillin analogs relax porcine coronary and basilar arteries by inhibiting L-type Ca2+ channelsGábor Raffai
Department of BIN Fusion technology, Department of Polymer Nano Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, South Korea G R, G K, P M V and Key State Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnologies and Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China P M V
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 352:14-22. 2015..alcohol (VAA), components of natural vanilla, and ethyl vanillin (EtVA; synthetic analog) are used as flavoring agents and/or as additives by the food, cosmetic, or pharmaceutic industries...
- Studies to Evaluate the Toxic Carcinogenic Potential of Test AgentsJEFFERY DILL; Fiscal Year: 2009..The studies have been completed and reported. The contract also includes testing two artificial butter flavoring agents (ABAs, acetoin, 2,3-butanedione) in 14- day (acetoin), 90-day studies (acetoin, 2,3-butanedione), and 2-year ..
- Studies to Evaluate the Toxic Carcinogenic Potential of Test AgentsJEFFERY DILL; Fiscal Year: 2011..The contract also includes testing three artificial butter flavoring agents (ABAs, acetoin, 2,3-pentanedione, and 2,3-butanedione) in 14- day (acetoin), 90-day studies (acetoin, 2,3-..
- Studies to Evaluate the Toxic Carcinogenic Potential of Test AgentsJEFFERY DILL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The contract also includes testing three artificial butter flavoring agents (ABAs, acetoin, 2,3-pentanedione, and 2,3-butanedione) in 14- day (acetoin), 90-day studies (acetoin, 2,3-..
- Anti-Tumor Mechanism of the MonoterpensHee Won Park; Fiscal Year: 2004Limonene and perillyl alcohol are monoterpenes that are dietary components as well as food flavoring agents and scent additives. Limonene is abundant in orange peel oil, and perillyl alcohol in cherry and spearmint...
- CONTEXT EFFECTS IN THE PERCEPTION OF SENSORY MAGNITUDELawrence Marks; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Mechanisms of Taste- & Taste-Olfaction Mixture DetectionLawrence Marks; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Replacing Pierce Lab Animal Care Air Handling FacilityLawrence Marks; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COMMONALITIES IN TOUCH, HEARING,VISION AND TASTELawrence Marks; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Mechanisms of Human Flavor PerceptionLawrence E Marks; Fiscal Year: 2010..A better understanding of flavor perception could contribute to the treatment of disorders of eating, nutrition, and body weight. ..
- An exploratory study to integrate cell phones into RDD health surveysCristine Delnevo; Fiscal Year: 2008..The relevance of the proposed research to public health is its ability to generate a better understanding of cell phone only households and how they impact public health surveillance in the US. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Amino Acids, Protein, and BMI in Adults Across CulturesKa He; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is of great public health and clinical significance as obesity is a major health concern. The findings from this project may lead to new research on obesity prevention. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Evaluating Low Ignition Propensity Cigarette LegislationRICHARD O CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..Taken together, these studies comprise a comprehensive evaluation of the potential impacts of this harm-reduction policy, which will inform policymakers in other jurisdictions considering similar regulations. ..
- Trace Elements and Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Risks Factors Among Young AdultsKa He; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Smokers and PREPs: Measurement of Inhaled and Exhaled Tobacco Smoke ParticulateSydney Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Tobacco Industry Direct Mail MarketingJane Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improving surveillance and monitoring of cigarsCristine Delnevo; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Enforcing Alcohol Laws: Reducing Over-ConsumptionRobert Flewelling; Fiscal Year: 2007..The enforcement of these laws has great promise for reducing serious public health problems. ..
- Tobacco use in people with mental disorders: an overlooked tobacco control issueCristine Delnevo; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ALCOHOL EFFECT ON HUMAN LACTATION AND INFANT BEHAVIORJULIE MENNELLA; Fiscal Year: 2007..AIM 3: To explore the role of early experiences with ethanol in mothers' milk and the emotional context of such experiences, on the recognition of, and preference for, the sensory properties of ethanol ..
- DISTRIBUTED OCCUPATIONAL KNOWLEDGE SYSTEMPhilip Harber; Fiscal Year: 2001..The process also yields valuable surveillance data including population segments often missed by other methods and describing functional impact of work rather than just occupationally caused disease. ..
- Tobacco Control Policies and Youth Smoking TransitionsJames Nonnemaker; Fiscal Year: 2004..The panel data and the discrete-time hazard model allow for the control of unobserved individual and state-level effects. ..
- IL-lB and Meal Patterns: Ovarian Hormones and CCKPETER BUTERA; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- PH CONTROL OF PROTEIN SYNTHESISPeter Garlick; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ABUSE LIABILITY OF BENZODIAZEPINES AND CAFFEINEROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ALCOHOL APPETITE--A NUTRIENT CONDITIONING ANALYSISKaren Ackroff; Fiscal Year: 2001..It will advance our basic knowledge of the psychobiology of alcohol appetite and may provide practical benefits for controlling alcohol consumption in humans. ..
- Occupational Medicine Activities and Skills: An Empiric StudyPhilip Harber; Fiscal Year: 2009..Analyses will be both descriptive and address specific questions such as determining the impact of formal education and evaluating whether occupational preventive medicine is a homogeneous field or composed of distinct subgroups. ..
- REPRESENTATION OF SATIETY IN ORBITOFRONTAL CORTEXTHOMAS PRITCHARD; Fiscal Year: 2003..These data may expedite development of successful strategies for diagnosis and treatment of various eating and metabolic disorders. ..
- US Specific and General Processes in Pavlovian LearningANDREW DELAMATER; Fiscal Year: 2006..More globally, it is hoped that these studies will provide a much firmer basis upon which to think about the cognitive and motivational foundations of learning. ..
- ONTOGENY OF METABOLIC CONTROLS OF INGESTIVE BEHAVIORSUSAN SWITHERS; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, the neural mechanisms involved in translating physiological changes related to energy utilization into increases in ingestive behavior are tested. ..
- FACILITY CONSTRUCTION EXPANSION- MONNELL CHEMICAL SENSESGary Beauchamp; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Neuropharmacology of Learned Food PreferencesAnthony Sclafani; Fiscal Year: 2009..It will advance our understanding of the basic mechanisms involved in the development of food preferences and may provide insights into the clinical treatment of overeating and obesity. ..