Genomes and Genes
Summary: Agents acting to arrest the flow of blood. Absorbable hemostatics arrest bleeding either by the formation of an artificial clot or by providing a mechanical matrix that facilitates clotting when applied directly to the bleeding surface. These agents function more at the capillary level and are not effective at stemming arterial or venous bleeding under any significant intravascular pressure.
Publications262 found, 100 shown here
- Aprotinin versus placebo in major orthopedic surgery: a randomized, double-blinded, dose-ranging studyCharles Marc Samama
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire CHU Avicenne, Bobigny, France
Anesth Analg 95:287-93, table of contents. 2002..Large-dose aprotinin was safe and effective in dramatically reducing the measured and calculated bleeding and the amount of transfused red blood cell units after major orthopedic surgery...
- QuikClot use in trauma for hemorrhage control: case series of 103 documented usesPeter Rhee
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
J Trauma 64:1093-9. 2008Local hemostatics have recently been introduced for field use to control external hemorrhage...
- Safety of calcium dobesilate in chronic venous disease, diabetic retinopathy and haemorrhoidsHerve Allain
Service de Pharmacologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes, France
Drug Saf 27:649-60. 2004..Such a review reinforces the need for a strong international pharmacovigilance organisation using similar methods to detect and analyse the adverse effects of drugs...
- Plant extract ankaferd blood stopper effect on bond strengthGoksu Trakyali
Department of Orthodontics, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Angle Orthod 80:570-4. 2010..To determine the effect of Ankaferd Blood Stopper (ABS) on the shear bond strength (SBS) of orthodontic attachments...
- Clinical effectiveness of fresh frozen plasma compared with fibrinogen concentrate: a systematic reviewSibylle Kozek-Langenecker
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Evangelical Hospital Vienna, Hans Sachs Gasse 10 12, 1180 Vienna, Austria
Crit Care 15:R239. 2011..In this systematic review, we investigated the current evidence for the use of FFP and fibrinogen concentrate in the perioperative or massive trauma setting...
- State-of-the-art review: Hemostats, sealants, and adhesives II: Update as well as how and when to use the components of the surgical toolboxWilliam D Spotnitz
Surgical Therapeutic Advancement Center, Department of Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, PO Box 801370, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 16:497-514. 2010..Recommendations with respect to how and when to best use these materials will be presented. A review of the recent literature is also provided with respect to the most recent uses of these materials in specific surgical specialties...
- Development and analysis of a collagen-based hemostatic adhesiveSeung Hyuk Baik
Department of Medical Engineering, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Surg Res 164:e221-8. 2010..Commercially available hemostatic-adhesive has the risk of disease transmission because it is derived from a plasma component. The purpose of this study is to manufacture a new hemostatic adhesive and evaluate its performances...
- A comprehensive review of topical hemostatic agents: efficacy and recommendations for useHardean E Achneck
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ann Surg 251:217-28. 2010..Furthermore, wholesale acquisition prices for hospitals in the United States are provided to aid in cost analysis. We conclude with an expert opinion on which agent to use under different scenarios...
- Application of a zeolite hemostatic agent achieves 100% survival in a lethal model of complex groin injury in SwineHasan B Alam
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Trauma 56:974-83. 2004..We tested ZH with increasing RM against controls and other hemostatic agents in a swine model of battlefield injury...
- Prospective, randomized clinical trial of the FloSeal matrix sealant in cardiac surgeryGiuseppe Nasso
Cardiac Surgery Department, GVM Hospitals of Care and Research, Bari, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1520-6. 2009..We compared a hemostatic matrix sealant agent (FloSeal; Baxter Inc, Deerfield, IL) with alternative topical hemostatic agents in a mixed cohort of elective cardiac and thoracic aortic operations...
- Bond strengths of two adhesive systems to dentin contaminated with a hemostatic agentWatcharaporn Kuphasuk
Department of Operative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Oper Dent 32:399-405. 2007..The bond strength of CB20 to contaminated dentin was significantly lower than that to normal dentin. The extension of primer application time from 20 to 40 seconds significantly increased the bond strength of CB to contaminated dentin...
- Tissue glues and nonsuturing techniquesNathan F Pursifull
Department of Urology, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam, Houston, USA
Curr Opin Urol 17:396-401. 2007..This article details the diverse urologic applications of tissue glues and hemostatic agents over the past 3 years in the management of genitourinary injuries, surgical wounds, and complications...
- Platelet gel and fibrin sealant reduce allogeneic blood transfusions in total knee arthroplastyP A M Everts
Department of Extra Corporeal Blood Management, Catharina Hospital Eindhoven, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:593-9. 2006..Optimization of strategies to reduce the need for blood transfusion is desired. This study was designed to evaluate the efficacy of autologous platelet gel and fibrin sealant in unilateral TKA...
- Bench-to-bedside review: Vasopressin in the management of septic shockJames A Russell
Critical Care Medicine, St Paul s Hospital, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6Z 1Y6
Crit Care 15:226. 2011..The interaction of vasopressin infusion and corticosteroid treatment in septic shock requires further study...
- Thermal injury resulting from application of a granular mineral hemostatic agentJames K Wright
311 Health Sciences Wing, Air Force Material Command, Brooks City Base, Texas, USA
J Trauma 57:224-30. 2004..In an effort to identify a hemostatic agent suitable for battlefield use, we evaluated several potential hemostatic agents in a swine injury model and noted thermal injury to tissues with a granular mineral hemostatic agent (QuikClot)...
- Comparison of hemorrhage control agents applied to lethal extremity arterial hemorrhages in swineEric M Acheson
US Army Institute of Surgical Research, Fort Sam Houston, TX, 78234, USA
J Trauma 59:865-74; discussion 874-5. 2005..Our objective was to evaluate the hemostatic efficacy of these three products in a model of severe extremity arterial hemorrhage that could not be stopped by standard gauze treatment...
- Molecular imprinted macroporous chitosan coated mesoporous silica xerogels for hemorrhage controlChenglong Dai
The State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, PR China
Biomaterials 31:7620-30. 2010..The results of the present study forward CSSX bead as a safe hemostatic system and present a platform for further optimization studies of materials with enhanced hemostatic capabilities for specific injury types...
- Randomized clinical trial of tranexamic acid-free fibrin sealant during vascular surgical proceduresR T A Chalmers
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Br J Surg 97:1784-9. 2010..This study evaluated the safety and haemostatic effectiveness of a fibrin sealant (EVICEL(™) Fibrin Sealant (Human)) during vascular surgery...
- Effects of fibrinogen concentrate as first-line therapy during major aortic replacement surgery: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialNiels Rahe-Meyer
Clinic for Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Franziskus Hospital, Bielefeld, Germany
Anesthesiology 118:40-50. 2013..The authors assessed whether fibrinogen concentrate can reduce blood transfusion when given as intraoperative, targeted, first-line hemostatic therapy in bleeding patients undergoing aortic replacement surgery...
- Use of gelatin matrix thrombin tissue sealant as an effective hemostatic agent during laparoscopic partial nephrectomyJohn B Bak
Department of Urology, State University of New York, Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, 13210, USA
J Urol 171:780-2. 2004..We describe a technique for achieving effective hemostasis during laparoscopic partial nephrectomy using gelatin matrix thrombin tissue sealant...
- Tissue-specific utilization of menaquinone-4 results in the prevention of arterial calcification in warfarin-treated ratsH M H Spronk
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Vasc Res 40:531-7. 2003....
- Management of major blood loss: an updateP I Johansson
Section for Transfusion Medicine, Capital Region Blood Bank, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 54:1039-49. 2010..The aim of the goal-directed therapy should be to maintain a normal haemostatic competence until surgical haemostasis is achieved, as this appears to be associated with reduced mortality...
- Evaluation of a new hemostatic agent Ankaferd Blood Stopper in experimental liver lacerationKemal Karakaya
Department of General Surgery, Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Kozlu Zonguldak, Turkey
J Invest Surg 22:201-6. 2009..We studied the hemostatic effects of Ankaferd Blood Stopper on liver injury in comparison with regenerated oxidized cellulose...
- Haemostatic actions of the folkloric medicinal plant extract Ankaferd Blood StopperH Goker
Department of Haematology, Hacettepe University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Int Med Res 36:163-70. 2008..ABS has the therapeutic potential to be used for the management of haemorrhage and this agent should be investigated further in clinical trials...
- Use of fibrin sealant to reduce bloody drainage and hemoglobin loss after total knee arthroplasty: a brief note on a randomized prospective trialG J Wang
University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville 22908, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1503-5. 2001..A phase-III trial that included fifty-three patients undergoing unilateral primary total knee arthroplasty with cement was conducted to investigate the hemostatic efficacy of fibrin sealant...
- Controlled clinical trial of a novel hemostatic agent in cardiac surgery. The Fusion Matrix Study GroupM C Oz
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 69:1376-82. 2000....
- Effectiveness of a new carrier-bound fibrin sealant versus argon beamer as haemostatic agent during liver resection: a randomised prospective trialAndrea Frilling
Department of General Surgery and Transplantation, University Hospital of Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45147 Essen, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 390:114-20. 2005..A new carrier-bound fibrin sealant, TachoSil, is expected to be efficacious and safe as a haemostatic treatment in hepatic resection...
- Ultrastructural and morphological analyses of the in vitro and in vivo hemostatic effects of Ankaferd Blood StopperBerat Z Haznedaroglu
Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Riverside, California, USA
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 16:446-53. 2010..Ankaferd Blood Stopper could hold a great premise for clinical management of surgery bleedings as well as immediate cessation of bleeding on external injuries based on upcoming clinical trials...
- Autologous platelet gel and fibrin sealant enhance the efficacy of total knee arthroplasty: improved range of motion, decreased length of stay and a reduced incidence of arthrofibrosisPeter A M Everts
Department of Peri Operative Blood Management, Catharina Hospital, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 15:888-94. 2007..We conclude that peri-operatively applied platelet gel and fibrin sealant may improve the range of motion after total knee arthroplasty, decreases the length of stay and may reduce the incidence of arthrofibrosis...
- Biomimetic sealant based on gelatin and microbial transglutaminase: an initial in vivo investigationYi Liu
Center for Biosystems Research, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, College Park, Maryland, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 91:5-16. 2009..Thus, the biomimetic gelatin-mTG adhesive may provide a simple, safe, and cost-effective surgical sealant...
- Gelatin thrombin granules for hemostasis in a severe traumatic liver and spleen rupture model in swineMartin Leixnering
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology and Research, Center for Traumatology of the Austrian Workers Compensation Board AUVA, Vienna, Austria
J Trauma 64:456-61. 2008....
- Effect of calcium dobesilate on progression of early diabetic retinopathy: a randomised double-blind studyMaria L Ribeiro
AIBILI, Clinical Trial Centre, Azinhaga de Santa Comba, 3000 548 Coimbra, Portugal
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:1591-600. 2006..The study was carried out to confirm the effect of calcium dobesilate (CaD) compared to placebo (PLA) on the blood-retinal barrier (BRB) permeability in early diabetic retinopathy (DR)...
- FloSeal use in endoscopic sinus surgery: effect on postoperative bleeding and synechiae formationMark Jameson
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 27:86-90. 2006..The objective of this study is to evaluate the effect of the hemostatic agent, FloSeal (FS), on bleeding and healing after functional endoscopic sinus surgery...
- Haemostatic agents used in periradicular surgery: an experimental study of their efficacy and tissue reactionsT von Arx
Department of Oral Surgery and Stomatology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Int Endod J 39:800-8. 2006..To evaluate the haemostatic efficacy and the histologic tissue responses after the application of different haemostatic agents used in periradicular surgery...
- Recombinant activated factor VII and the anaesthetistI J Welsby
Department of Anaesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Anaesthesia 60:1203-12. 2005..Additional randomised, controlled trials to determine the safe and appropriate use of this potentially valuable therapy in broader patient groups are eagerly awaited...
- Testing of modified zeolite hemostatic dressings in a large animal model of lethal groin injuryNaresh Ahuja
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Trauma 61:1312-20. 2006..However, the effect of these alterations on the hemostatic efficacy is unknown. We tested modified zeolites and a chitosan based dressing against controls in a swine model of battlefield injury...
- Hand-assisted laparoscopic partial nephrectomy in the porcine model using gelatin matrix hemostatic sealant without hilar occlusionPremal J Desai
Divisions of Urology, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, California 92354, USA
J Endourol 19:566-9. 2005..The objective of this study was to determine the ability of GMHS to achieve hemostasis without hilar clamping in the porcine model...
- Hemostasis and hemostatic agents in minimally invasive surgeryRoger A de la Torre
Department of General Surgery, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Surgery 142:S39-45. 2007..On the horizon are the newer, even less-invasive approaches of natural orifice endoluminal and transluminal surgery, which will increase the difficulties with reliable hemostat agents and delivery mechanisms...
- [Vasopressin]W Schummer
Anaesthesist 54:707-8. 2005
- Comparison of gelatine matrix-thrombin sealants used during laparoscopic partial nephrectomyLucas Nogueira
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
BJU Int 102:1670-4. 2008..To compare haemostasis and other outcomes after the use of bovine-derived or porcine-derived gelatine matrix-thrombin sealants (GMTS) in a continuous series of patients during and for 6 months after laparoscopic partial nephrectomy (LPN)...
- Hemostasis in endoscopic sinus surgery using a specific gelatin-thrombin based agent (FloSeal)Ariane Baumann
Department of ENT, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Inselspital, Berne, Switzerland
Rhinology 41:244-9. 2003..This specific hemostatic sealant was shown to be a safe and efficacious alternative method for hemostasis in endoscopic sinus surgery with high patient satisfaction and an easy and fast mode of application...
- Haemostatic effect and tissue reactions of methods and agents used for haemorrhage control in apical surgeryS S Jensen
Department of Oral Surgery and Stomatology, University of Bern, Switzerland
Int Endod J 43:57-63. 2010..To compare the haemostatic effect and tissue reactions of different agents and methods used for haemorrhage control in apical surgery...
- Prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial of Ankaferd Blood Stopper in patients with acute anterior epistaxisAysenur Meric Teker
Otorhinolaryngology Department, Vakif Gureba Training and Research Hospital, Vatan Street, Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 267:1377-81. 2010..ABS is effective, safe, quick, and easy alternative to the phenylephrine in patients with anterior epistaxis...
- Intracorporeal use of advanced local hemostatics in a damage control swine model of grade IV liver injuryKenji Inaba
Division of Trauma Surgery and Surgical Critical Care, Los Angeles County University of Southern California Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Trauma 71:1312-8. 2011..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of zeolite- and chitosan-based local hemostatic agents for the control of intracorporeal bleeding in a damage control swine model of grade IV liver injury...
- Emerging treatment strategies for trauma-induced coagulopathyB Sorensen
Centre for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Br J Surg 99:40-50. 2012..Coagulopathy is related to blood loss including consumption of clotting factors and platelets and haemodilution. Additionally hyperfibrinolysis, hypothermia, acidosis and metabolic changes affect the coagulation system...
- Influence of Ankaferd Blood Stopper on shear bond strength of bonding systemsSoley Arslan
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Dent Mater J 31:226-31. 2012..There were significant differences in bond strengths between the control and ABS-contaminated samples. These findings suggest that ABS contamination reduced bond strength of total- and self-etching adhesives...
- Development of a novel mineral based haemostatic agent consisting of a combination of bentonite and zeolite mineralsS M J Mortazavi
Radiology Department, School of Paramedical Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 21:3-7. 2009..In this paper the bio-stimulatory effect of burned radioactive lantern mantles powder as well as two minerals; bentonite and zeolite are presented...
- The effect of trichloracetic acid as a hemostatic and etching agent on the morphological characteristics and shear bond strength of resin composite to enamelMaryam Khoroushi
Department of Operative Dentistry and Torabinejad Dental Research Center, Faculty of Dentistry, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Oper Dent 35:187-93. 2010..This study evaluated the effect of TCA gel as an etchant, its use before etchant on the shear bond strength between resin composite and enamel and also its effect on enamel surface morphological characteristics...
- Intracorporeal use of the hemostatic agent QuickClot in a coagulopathic patient with combined thoracoabdominal penetrating traumaFranklin L Wright
Department of Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
J Trauma 56:205-8. 2004
- Use of surgical sealant in debulking surgery for advanced ovarian carcinoma--case reportT K Madhuri
Department of Gynaeoncology, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, UK
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 31:582-3. 2010..We report the use of Floseal in a laparotomy for ovarian cancer to achieve haemostasis. This is the first reported case with the successful use of Floseal in gynaecological oncology...
- New local hemostatic treatment for postpartum hemorrhage caused by placenta previa at cesarean sectionKatrine Fuglsang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby, Denmark
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 89:1346-9. 2010..The results suggest that this procedure should be considered in case of bleeding after delivery in women with placenta previa...
- Hemorrhage control in the battlefield: role of new hemostatic agentsHasan B Alam
Trauma Research and Readiness Institute for Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Mil Med 170:63-9. 2005..The purpose of this article is to summarize the background information regarding these hemostatic agents, indications and rationale for their use, and characteristics of these products that may impact effectiveness...
- Analysis of the venous thromboembolic risk associated with severe postpartum haemorrhage in the NOHA First cohortCeline Chauleur
Laboratoire d Hematologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Groupe Hospitalo Universitaire Caremeau, place du Pr Robert Debré, F 30029 Nimes cedex 9, France
Thromb Haemost 100:773-9. 2008..Severe PPH increases the risk of postpartum SVT, but transfusion with platelet units and plasma supplementation using fresh frozen plasma or fibrinogen concentrates do not markedly modulate the risk of venous thrombosis...
- Use of oxidized cellulose hemostats (Surgicel™) to support parenchymal closure and achieve hemostasis following partial nephrectomyAshraf Abou-Elela
Urology, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Surg Technol Int 18:75-9. 2009..This study demonstrates the use of oxidized cellulose hemostats is effective for rapid, hemostatic closure of the kidney in association with partial nephrectomy...
- Recombinant factor VIIa and other pro-haemostatic therapies in primary postpartum haemorrhageE Searle
University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 22:1075-88. 2008..However, rFVIIa promises to be a powerful tool in managing massive obstetric haemorrhage, although many questions concerning its efficacy and safety in differing clinical scenarios remain unanswered...
- Fibrin sealant (evicel® [quixil®/crosseal™]): a review of its use as supportive treatment for haemostasis in surgerySohita Dhillon
Adis, a Wolters Kluwer Business, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 71:1893-915. 2011....
- Exothermic reaction in zeolite hemostatic dressings: QuikClot ACS and ACS+Francoise Arnaud
Department of Trauma and Resuscitative Medicine, Naval Medical Research Center, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910 7500, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 36:1708-13. 2008..The goal of this study was to compare the elevation of temperature of these formulations upon contact with blood...
- Haemostatic sealants in nephron-sparing surgery: what surgeons need to knowOrietta Dalpiaz
Department of Urology, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
BJU Int 102:1502-8. 2008..They should not be viewed as an alternative, but as complementary agents to be used to improve surgical outcomes. Further prospective studies are necessary to validate their role in relation to other haemostatic support techniques...
- Resuscitative strategies to maintain homeostasis during damage control surgeryR P Dutton
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, University of Chicago, Room E408, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Br J Surg 99:21-8. 2012..The early management of patients in haemorrhagic shock has undergone substantial revision in the past decade and is now known as 'haemostatic resuscitation'...
- Prothrombin complex concentrate (Octaplex): a Portuguese experience in 1152 patientsManuela C Carvalho
Centro Hospitalar São João, Hospital Sao Joao, E P E, Portugal
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 23:222-8. 2012..It effectively reverses the effect of OAT and was efficacious in the majority of bleeding episodes in patients with liver dysfunction...
- Evolution of fibrinogen-coated collagen patch for use as a topical hemostatic agentDeha Erdogan
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 85:272-8. 2008..In conclusion, SP-3 has evolved into a rapid, ready-to-use adjunct to primary measures for tissue sealing and hemostasis, suitable in cardiovascular-, thoracic-, neuro-, spleen-, kidney-, and liver-surgery...
- Hemostatic efficacy and cardiovascular effects of agents used during endodontic surgeryFrancine J Vickers
Department of Endodontology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
J Endod 28:322-3. 2002..Except in one case where ferric sulfate was the agent, both agents produced surgical hemostasis that allowed for a dry field for root-end filling...
- Cardiovascular effects and efficacy of a hemostatic agent in periradicular surgeryChristina Hong Vy
Department of Endodontology, Oregon Health and Science University, School of Dentistry, Portland, OR, USA
J Endod 30:379-83. 2004..In conclusion, the results suggest that CollaCote collagen sponges saturated with 2.25% racemic epinephrine provide excellent hemostasis with no evident changes in blood pressure or pulse rate...
- Ultrasonic-guided percutaneous injection of pancreatic pseudoaneurysm with thrombinPatrick Sparrow
Department of Radiology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 26:312-5. 2003..Follow-up at 8 weeks did not demonstrate recurrence. This case indicates that percutaneous thrombin injection offers effective treatment of visceral arterial pseudoaneurysms...
- [Protective effect of calcium dobesilate against early diabetic nephropathy of rat kidney]Mei Juan Gao
Department of Endocrinology, Provincial Hospital affiliated to Shandong University, Jinan 250021, China
Yao Xue Xue Bao 44:126-33. 2009..These findings suggested that calcium dobesilate could protect blood vessel endothelium, inhibit kidney fibrous degeneration, ameliorate renal pathological damage, and protect kidney function in many ways...
- Degradable, antibacterial silver exchanged mesoporous silica spheres for hemorrhage controlChenglong Dai
Key Laboratory for Ultrafine Materials of Ministry of Education, Engineering Research Center for Biomedical Materials of Ministry of Education, East China University of Science and Technology, P O Box 112, 130 Meilong Road, Shanghai 200237, PR China
Biomaterials 30:5364-75. 2009..Based on these results, it can be concluded that the AgCaMSS developed here would be a promising material platform for designing hemostats in more extensive clinical application...
- Images in emergency medicine. Superficial partial-thickness (second-degree) burn from zeolite mineral hemostatic agent (QuickClot [Z-Medica, Newington, CT])Timothy R Hurtado
Second Forward Support Battalion, Second Brigade Combat Team, Second Infantry Division, Camp Ramadi, Iraq
Ann Emerg Med 46:297, 303. 2005
- Pharmacological strategies to decrease transfusion requirements in patients undergoing surgeryRobert J Porte
Department of Surgery, Section of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Drugs 62:2193-211. 2002..Future trials should also consider cost-effectiveness because of considerable differences in the costs of the available pro-haemostatic pharmacological agents...
- Hemostatic effectiveness of Fibrin pad after partial nephrectomy in swineRichard W Hutchinson
Ethicon, Inc, a Johnson and Johnson Company, Somerville, New Jersey 08876 0151, USA
J Surg Res 167:e291-8. 2011..In this model, severe bleeding can be managed by concurrent use of several currently available treatments, or a more convenient option that offers performance and safety advantages...
- Calcium dobesilate attenuates vascular injury and the progression of diabetic retinopathy in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsEugenia Padilla
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 21:132-42. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine the effects of DOBE on vascular and diabetic retinopathy in streptozotocin (STZ) diabetic rats...
- Host-guest composites for induced hemostasis and therapeutic healing in traumatic injuriesTodd A Ostomel
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California, 93106, USA
J Thromb Thrombolysis 22:55-67. 2006..Five ion exchanged derivatives of the parent HA were prepared and characterized with regard to their material and thermal properties, in vitro hemostatic efficacy, and antibacterial activity...
- [Postpartum hemorrhage: an observational study of 21,726 deliveries in 28 months]E Guasch
Servicio de Anestesiologia y Reanimacion, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 56:139-46. 2009..To describe the management of severe postpartum hemorrhage...
- [Preparation and evaluation of chitosan/alginate microsphere as a novel biodegradable haemostatic powder]Yaping Liu
Department of Orthopedics, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 21:829-32. 2007..To explore a way to make a new kind of chitosan-based microsphere (MS), which can be used as a novel biodegradable haemostatic powder, and to confirm its haemostatic efficiency...
- Clinical benefits and risk analysis of topical hemostats: a reviewYasuko Tomizawa
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 162 8666, Japan
J Artif Organs 8:137-42. 2005..By using local hemostats, it is possible to improve the condition of the patient, reduce complications, and lower direct and indirect costs...
- Topical hemostatic agents: a reviewMelanie D Palm
Department of Dermatology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Dermatol Surg 34:431-45. 2008..Traditional and newer topical hemostatic agents are discussed in this review, and the benefits and costs of each agent will be provided...
- A review of topical hemostatic agents for use in cardiac surgeryJames Barnard
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Lancashire Cardiac Centre, Blackpool Victoria Hospital, Blackpool, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1377-83. 2009....
- Initial experience using N-butyl cyanoacrylate for embolization of lower gastrointestinal hemorrhageAaron Frodsham
Department of Radiology, Hospital of St Raphael, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 20:1312-9. 2009..To report initial experience using N-butyl cyanoacrylate (n-BCA) to control lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage (LGIH)...
- Effect of a chitosan-based hemostatic dressing on blood loss and survival in a model of severe venous hemorrhage and hepatic injury in swineAnthony E Pusateri
Library Branch, U S Army Institute of Surgical Research, 3400 Rawley East Chambers Avenue, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234 6315, USA
J Trauma 54:177-82. 2003..An advanced hemostatic dressing could augment available hemostatic methods. We studied the effects of a new chitosan dressing on blood loss, survival, and fluid use after severe hepatic injury in swine...
- Prospective, controlled clinical trial of Ankaferd Blood Stopper in children undergoing tonsillectomyAysenur Meric Teker
Otorhinolaryngology Department, Vakif Gureba Training and Research Hospital, Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:1742-5. 2009..This is a prospective study evaluating the efficacy of Ankaferd Blood Stopper as a hemostatic agent compared to hemostasis by means of knot-tie after cold knife dissection tonsillectomy...
- FloSeal Matrix: new generation topical hemostatic sealantMehmet C Oz
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Millstein Pavillion 7 435, 177 Fort Washington Avenue, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Card Surg 18:486-93. 2003
- Blood loss, replacement, and associated morbidity in infants and children undergoing craniofacial surgeryPaul A Stricker
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4399, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 20:150-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to document the incidence of clinically important problems, particularly related to blood loss, and perform a risk factor analysis...
- The potential utility of fibrin sealant dressing in repair of vascular injury in swineBijan S Kheirabadi
United States Army Institute of Surgical Research, Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234 6315, USA
J Trauma 62:94-103. 2007..The objective of this study was to determine the effective duration of FSD hemostatic function in vivo and to examine its potential utility for definitive repair of a major arterial injury in swine...
- The performance of a fly-larva shell-derived chitosan sponge as an absorbable surgical hemostatic agentRuolan Gu
State Key Laboratory of Drug Metabolism, Hematological Pharmacology, Beijing Institute of Transfusion Medicine, 27 Taiping Road, Beijing 100850, PR China
Biomaterials 31:1270-7. 2010..Thus, CS has promising properties as an absorbable, implantable agent for promoting perioperative hemostasis and this material warrants further study...
- Menadione is a metabolite of oral vitamin KHenk H W Thijssen
Department of Pharmacology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 95:260-6. 2006..The observations make it likely that part of the menaquinone-4 in tissues results from uptake and prenylation of circulating menadione...
- Application of a granular mineral-based hemostatic agent (QuikClot) to reduce blood loss after grade V liver injury in swineAnthony E Pusateri
U S Army Institute of Surgical Research, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, USA
J Trauma 57:555-62; discussion 562. 2004..This study determined the efficacy of QuikClot, a hemostatic agent, in reducing blood loss and mortality in a standardized model of severe liver injury as well as the consequences of its use...
- Reduction of blood loss using high-dose aprotinin in major orthopaedic surgery: a prospective, double-blind, randomised and placebo-controlled studyR Jeserschek
Department of Orthopaedics, Karl Franzens University School of Medicine, Graz, Austria
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:174-7. 2003..The intraoperative use of aprotinin in major orthopaedic operations significantly reduced blood loss and the required amount of packed cells. It may result in in the length of hospital stay and costs...
- Real-time in vivo imaging of platelets, tissue factor and fibrin during arterial thrombus formation in the mouseShahrokh Falati
Center for Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Nat Med 8:1175-81. 2002..Subsequently tissue factor was associated with the interior of the thrombus. Tissue factor was biologically active, and was associated with fibrin generation within the thrombus...
- Use of rotation thromboelastometry (ROTEM) to achieve successful treatment of polytrauma with fibrinogen concentrate and prothrombin complex concentrateH Schöchl
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, AUVA Trauma Centre, Salzburg, Austria
Anaesthesia 65:199-203. 2010..This case shows the potential success of treatment using both fibrinogen concentrate and prothrombin complex concentrate, not only in restoring haemostasis but also in minimising requirement for transfusion of allogeneic blood products...
- Effect of topical and subcutaneous epinephrine in combination with topical thrombin in blood loss during immediate near-total burn wound excision in pediatric burned patientsJ P Barret
Shriners Burns Hospital, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77550, USA
Burns 25:509-13. 1999..The effect of topical thrombin on blood loss should be analyzed separately...
- Effect of calcium dobesilate on occurrence of diabetic macular oedema (CALDIRET study): randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trialChristos Haritoglou
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Lancet 373:1364-71. 2009..Medical treatment for diabetic retinopathy could have an important role in prevention of complications such as visual loss. We aimed to assess the effect of calcium dobesilate on occurrence of diabetic macular oedema...
- Phase 3, randomized, double-blind study of plasma-derived human thrombin versus bovine thrombin in achieving hemostasis in patients undergoing surgeryCataldo Doria
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 24:785-94. 2008..To compare the effectiveness of plasma-derived human thrombin and bovine thrombin for achieving hemostasis during surgery...
- A multicenter clinical trial to evaluate the topical hemostatic efficacy of fibrin sealant in burn patientsC Nervi
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
J Burn Care Rehabil 22:99-103. 2001..The investigational FS product was shown to be efficacious, because it significantly decreases the time to hemostasis at the donor skin harvest site in patients undergoing skin grafting and was noted not to cause any adverse reactions...
- Comparison of a new fibrin sealant with standard topical hemostatic agentsMyron Schwartz
Department of Surgery, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Arch Surg 139:1148-54. 2004..Fibrin sealants represent an improvement over conventional topical hemostatic agents, because they contain components that actively form clot. However, most available agents contain nonhuman protein, which represents an immunologic risk...
- Comparison of the topical haemostatic agents for the prevention of suture hole bleeding. An experimental studyYahya Unlu
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ataturk University, 25170 Erzurum, Turkey
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 23:441-4. 2002..using a rabbit vascular graft model we investigated the use of fibrin glue (FG), gelatin-resorcinol-formaldehyde (GRF), and collagen (C) as a means of reducing suture hole bleeding...
- Prophylactic fibrinogen infusion reduces bleeding after coronary artery bypass surgery. A prospective randomised pilot studyMartin Karlsson
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Thromb Haemost 102:137-44. 2009..Larger studies are necessary to ensure safety and confirm efficacy of prophylactic fibrinogen treatment in cardiac surgery...
- A polymeric sealant inhibits anastomotic suture hole bleeding more rapidly than gelfoam/thrombin: results of a randomized controlled trialMarc Glickman
Virginia Vascular Associates, 880 Kempsville Rd, Suite 1000, Norfolk, VA 23502, USA
Arch Surg 137:326-31; discussion 332. 2002..An experimental polymeric sealant (CoSeal [Cohesion Technologies, Palo Alto, Calif]) provides equivalent anastomotic sealing to Gelfoam (Upjohn, Kalamazoo, Mich)/thrombin during surgical placement of prosthetic vascular grafts...
- Does topical haemostatic agent have an adverse effect on the function of the prostatic neurovascular bundle?Ilia Zeltser
Department of Urology, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
BJU Int 102:1005-7. 2008..Deerfield, IL, USA) on the cavernous nerves in a canine model of survival, as there are concerns that the fibrotic/inflammatory response to this product could affect neural function...
- Fibrin sealants in surgical practice: An overviewM R Jackson
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9157, USA
Am J Surg 182:1S-7S. 2001..This review describes the development of fibrin sealants, the composition of currently available products, and their use in surgical practice...
- Development of an animal model for assessment of the hemostatic efficacy of fibrin sealant in vascular surgeryB S Kheirabadi
American Red Cross, Holland Laboratory, 15601 Crabbs Branch Way, Rockville, Maryland 20855, USA
J Surg Res 100:84-92. 2001..The purpose of this study was to develop a model that can determine the long-term hemostatic efficacy of tissue sealants in a vascular surgery...
- Recombinant factor VIIa in the treatment of bleedingMadhu V Midathada
Department of Hematology Oncology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 121:124-37. 2004..It is an expensive therapy and needs to be prescribed judiciously. This review is meant to be an introduction to this new hemostatic reagent. The uses for rFVIIa will evolve as more studies are published...
- The effects of a soluble polymer and bone wax on sternal healing in an animal modelTadeusz Wellisz
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1776-80. 2008..This study compares the effects of a soluble polymer hemostatic material and bone wax on sternal bone healing...
- Chitosan hemostatic device for laparoscopic applicationsHua Xie; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- IMPROVED HEMOSTATICS FOR TRAUMATIC HYPHEMAHUGH VARNER; Fiscal Year: 1992..This project will involve the design and synthesis of analogs of EACA and related hemostatics, and is expected to produce inhibitors which will bind orders of magnitude more tightly to plasminogen...
- Pathophysiology of anti-B2GPI Antibodies in APSALISA WOLBERG; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is expected that these proposed studies will contribute to a fundamental understanding of pathogenic mechanisms for thrombosis in APS and lead to future investigations addressing therapeutic interventions in APS. ..
- Computer Directed Photodynamic Therapy of Prostate CaJerzy Jankun; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Dose-finding, pharmacokinetic, safety and efficacy of bivalirudin in childrenGuy Young; Fiscal Year: 2009..More modern therapies are available but have not been systematically tested in children. This study will determine whether one such medication, bivalirudin is a safer and more effective alterative. ..
- Nanostenting Hydrogels for Sinus SurgeryRICHARD ORLANDI; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these Phase I studies will determine the feasibility and the optimal chemical properties of a nanostenting HA gel for human trials. ..
- FONDAPARINUM IN CHILDREN WITH THROMBOSISGuy Young; Fiscal Year: 2007..Pharmacokinetic analyses as well as safety and efficacy determinations will be made which will provide valuable information on this new anticoagulant for pediatric patients. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NEW APPROACH TO ENDOTHELIAL CLEFT STRUCTUREFitz Roy E Curry; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our experiments evaluate the common mechanical properties of the endothelial glycocalyx that modulate water, solute, leukocyte, and red cell fluxes at the endothelial cell surface. ..
- Systematic Integration POR into Clinical Pathway of HCCMyron Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2006..This program provides a truly remarkable opportunity to make meaningful progress in understanding, preventing and treating HCC, while in the process providing fertile training ground for young physician-scientists. ..
- Biosensor to measure microscopic cell functionALAN MOY; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Delayed Neurodegeneration After Intracerebral HemorrhageGuohua Xi; Fiscal Year: 2007..If our hypotheses are correct, these experiments may lead to novel therapies for ICH by either limiting iron overload or attenuating oxidative brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Zeiss Dynamic Laser TIRFRichard Minshall; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Age-related structural alterations in loss of self-tolerance to a3(IV) collagenDorin Bogdan Borza; Fiscal Year: 2007..New targets for prevention or therapeutic intervention may be identified as a result. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- G-protein-induced Signaling of PMN-mediated Lung InjuryArshad Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies may provide future directions for development of therapeutic strategies for inflammatory disease states such as Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). ..
- MECHANISMS OF BRAIN EDEMA AFTER INTRACEREBRAL HEMORRHAGEGuohua Xi; Fiscal Year: 2009..The purpose of our project is to investigate the mechanisms involved in thrombin-induced brain edema. If our hypotheses are correct, these experiments may lead to novel methods of treating ICH. ..
- Store Operated Calcium Entry: Lung Endothelial PermeabilityTroy Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Thrombin,Sepsis and Mechanisms of InflammationChinnaswamy Tiruppathi; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is hoped that this work will lead to the development of new drug targeting acute lung injury associated with leaky lung microvessel and tissue edema formation. ..
- UGI Hemorrhage and Barrett's EpitheliumDennis Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2008..This award will continue to enhance the applicant's research productivity and provide skilled mentoring for young investigators, so they can become independent patient-oriented investigators in digestive diseases. ..
- Caveolin-1 and NO Regulate PMN-mediated Increases in Vascular PermeabilityRichard D Minshall; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- CA++ INHIBITION OF CAMP IN LUNG ENDOTHELIAL PERMEABILITYTroy Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is hoped completion of these studies will improve our understanding of mechanisms which regulate endothelial barrier properties so that effective therapies can be developed for treatment of non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema. ..
- SERINE PROTEASES FROM MAST CELLS AND SKINNorman Schechter; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hoped that these studies will advance our understanding of two classes of molecules which are important to production and regulation of inflammation. ..
- IMPROVEMENT OF MEMBRANE BIOLOGY FACILITYFITZ ROY CURRY; Fiscal Year: 2002..That project addressed other laboratory and basic infrastructure deficiencies in the same building that contains the subject laboratories in the current application. ..
- Microbiology/Immunology of Periodontal Disease in T1DMPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..An integrated multidisciplinary effort provides significant data collection capabilities essential for understanding the complex multifactorial etiology of periodontal disease in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- Antioxidant Supplementation,Oxidative Stress & Enduranc*Maret Traber; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, the investigators plan to measure markers of inflammatory response, such as C-oxidants increase and vitamin E decreases these markers. ..
- HOMOCYSTEINE AND PROGRESSION OF ATHEROSCLEROSISLloyd Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- CARDIAC VALVE CALCIFICATIONEmile Mohler; Fiscal Year: 2003..2. To investigate mechanisms of valve calcification using a cell culture model of calcification. 3. To examine therapeutic strategies to inhibit valve calcification with a bisphosphonate in cell culture. ..
- MECHANISM OF HUMAN MAST CELL TRYPTASE REGULATIONNorman Schechter; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding the structural properties responsible for the functional instability may provide new targets for therapeutic inhibitors. ..
- Determinants of Pulmonary Endothelial Cell Function ConfTroy Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2004..At the conclusion of this meeting and as part of the published report, we will have identified areas of need for future investigation in lung vascular biology. ..
- Mechanisms of Vitamin E Function Studied in ZebrafishMaret G Traber; Fiscal Year: 2010..the molecular targets altered by - tocopherol-deficiency in the zebrafish will provide a solid basis for understanding why humans require -tocopherol for reproduction as well as to maintain a healthy nervous system ..
- A Novel Mechanism for Intra-articular NonunionMartha M Murray; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Enriched IVIG for the treatment of West Nile VirusIsrael Nur; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the absence of sufficient WN antibodies in convalescent donors, hyper-immune donors treated with an attenuated vaccine may be explored as an alternative source of plasma. ..
- SHIFTS IN ACTIN-MICROTUBULE FORCES IN THE ENDOTHELIUMALAN MOY; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will utilize molecular approaches and quantitative dynamic imaging approaches in living cells to further validate our hypothesis. We believe that the results of these studies will greatly advance vascular and cell biology. ..
- Enhanced Primary Repair of Ligament InjuriesMartha Murray; Fiscal Year: 2008..In the third aim, the optimized scaffolds will be tested in an in vivo canine ACL non-union model. Information gained in each of these aims will serve to improve our understanding of mechanisms of ligament healing. ..
- ORAL HEALTH OF OLDER TYPE 1 DIABETIC PATIENTSPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..This overall plan will permit us to understand the etiology of these complications and to define specific subpopulations and risk factors appropriate for future prospective oral health prevention and intervention trials. ..
- Mechanisms of Pro-Thrombosis in Diabetes MellitusDavid Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2003..Further, these results will define the importance of prothrombotic potential in diabetic subjects while potentially identifying new therapeutic targets in patients with diabetes and other insulin resistant states. ..
- Development of a novel whole blood coagulation assayMarcus Carr; Fiscal Year: 2004..This assay can allow clinicians to tailor anticoagulant therapy to achieve successful outcomes while preventing adverse bleeding events. These outcomes should result in reduced healthcare costs. ..
- Oxidative Stress and Vitamin E RequirementsMaret Traber; Fiscal Year: 2005..These proposed studies will further our goal of understanding the role of vitamin E in the amelioration of oxidative damage in aging and in chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. ..
- Alpha-Tocopherol Modulation of Xenobiotic MetabolismMaret Traber; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that our findings may well have a significant impact on current self-medication practices of the millions of Americans currently taking prescription drugs and vitamin E supplements. ..