Genomes and Genes
Summary: Drugs used to treat or prevent skin disorders or for the routine care of skin.
Publications258 found, 100 shown here
- Guidelines of care for the management of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: section 6. Guidelines of care for the treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: case-based presentations and evidence-based conclusionsAlan Menter
Psoriasis Research Center, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 65:137-74. 2011..In addition, we will update the prior 5 guidelines and address gaps in research and care that currently exist, while making suggestions for further studies that could be performed to help address these limitations in our knowledge base...
- Suicidal ideation, mental health problems, and social impairment are increased in adolescents with acne: a population-based studyJon A Halvorsen
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Oslo University Hospital Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Invest Dermatol 131:363-70. 2011..Adverse events including suicidal ideation and depression that have been associated with therapies for acne may reflect the burden of substantial acne rather than the effects of medication...
- Novel systemic drugs under investigation for the treatment of psoriasisJohann E Gudjonsson
Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5314
J Am Acad Dermatol 67:139-47. 2012....
- Adverse effects of topical glucocorticosteroidsUlrich R Hengge
Department of Dermatology, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:1-15; quiz 16-8. 2006..The authors provide an updated review of local and systemic adverse effects upon administration of topical corticosteroids, including the latest FDA report on the safety of such steroids in children...
- Assessment and management of methotrexate hepatotoxicity in psoriasis patients: report from a consensus conference to evaluate current practice and identify key questions toward optimizing methotrexate use in the clinicJ Barker
St John s Institute of Dermatology, Division of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, Kings College, London, UK
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 25:758-64. 2011....
- Efficacy of biologics in the treatment of moderate to severe psoriasis: a network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsK Reich
Dermatologikum Hamburg, Drehbahn 1 3, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 166:179-88. 2012..These estimates have previously been published for a limited range of psoriasis biologic treatments, although, to date no review has compared all the currently available agents in Europe...
- Moderate to severe psoriasis treated with infliximab - 53 patients: patients profile, efficacy and adverse effectsArtur Antonio Duarte
Faculdade de Medicina Santo Amaro, Universidade de Santo Amaro, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
An Bras Dermatol 86:257-63. 2011..Adverse reactions that occur during infusion or up to 24 hours afterwards are referred to as acute reactions. Delayed reactions are those occurring between 24 hours and 14 days after an infusion...
- Preliminary clinical activity of a topical JAK1/2 inhibitor in the treatment of psoriasisNaresh Punwani
Incyte Corp, Wilmington, Delaware 19880, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 67:658-64. 2012..INCB018424, a small molecule inhibitor of JAK1 and JAK2, inhibits cytokine-induced JAK/signal transducers and activators of transcription signaling and the resultant production of inflammatory proteins (eg, IL-17)...
- German evidence-based guidelines for the treatment of Psoriasis vulgaris (short version)A Nast
Division of Evidence Based Medicine, Klinik fur Dermatologie, Venerologie, Allergologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Schumannstrasse 20 21, Berlin, Germany
Arch Dermatol Res 299:111-38. 2007..JDDG, Suppl 2:S1-S126, 2006; or http://www.psoriasis-leitlinie.de )...
- Infliximab for the treatment of pyoderma gangrenosum: a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trialT N Brooklyn
Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK
Gut 55:505-9. 2006..There have been a number of reports of PG responding to infliximab, a monoclonal antibody against tumour necrosis factor alpha...
- Infliximab induction and maintenance therapy for moderate-to-severe psoriasis: a phase III, multicentre, double-blind trialKristian Reich
Department of Dermatology, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
Lancet 366:1367-74. 2005..We assessed the efficacy and safety of continuous treatment with infliximab, a monoclonal antibody that binds to and neutralises the activity of TNFalpha, in patients with psoriasis...
- Atopic dermatitisAlexander K C Leung
The University of Calgary, the Alberta Children s Hospital, 200, 233 16th Avenue NW, Calgary, AB T2M 0H5, Canada
Adv Pediatr 54:241-73. 2007..Patient and caregiver education, avoidance of potential triggering factors, optimal skin care, and pharmacotherapy offer the potential for good control for most patients...
- Novel drug delivery systems: potential in improving topical delivery of antiacne agentsA A Date
Department of Pharmaceutics, Bombay College of Pharmacy, Kalina, Santacruz, Mumbai, India
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 19:2-16. 2006....
- Effects of an aqueous extract from the leaves of Chromolaena odorata (Eupolin) on the proliferation of human keratinocytes and on their migration in an in vitro model of reepithelializationT T Phan
Wound Healing Institute, The Churchill Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Wound Repair Regen 9:305-13. 2001..The increased proliferation and migration of human keratinocytes observed in vitro might explain, in part, the beneficial effects that have been observed in the clinic...
- Validity and reliability of patient reported outcomes used in psoriasis: results from two randomized clinical trialsRichard Shikiar
Center for Health Outcomes Research, MEDTAP International, Inc, Seattle, WA USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 1:53. 2003..Patient reported measures of psoriasis-related functionality and health-related quality of life and of psoriasis-related symptom assessments were included as part of the trials...
- Sacroiliitis and severe disability due to isotretinoin therapyAlexander P Rozin
B Shine Department of Rheumatology, Rambam Health Care Campus and Technion, POB 9602, 31096, Haifa, Israel
Rheumatol Int 30:985-6. 2010..Naranjo probability scale indicated a probable relationship between isotretinoin therapy and bilateral sacroiliitis. We discussed possible mechanisms of sacroiliitis and disability due to isotretinoin treatment...
- Infliximab and nephrotic syndromeGeorge Chin
Renal Unit, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:2824-6. 2005..The major side effect of infliximab is infection. Renal complications are uncommon and not well recognized. This report describes a probable case of infliximab-induced membranous nephropathy...
- Atopic eczema in children, NICEJ H Baumer
Department of Paediatrics, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, Devon PL6 8DH, UK
Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed 93:93-7. 2008
- An investigator-masked comparison of the efficacy and safety of twice daily applications of calcitriol 3 microg/g ointment vs. calcipotriol 50 microg/g ointment in subjects with mild to moderate chronic plaque-type psoriasisX Zhu
Department of Dermatology, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 21:466-72. 2007..Calcitriol and calcipotriol, two vitamin D derivatives, are available for topical treatment of psoriasis and have been shown to be effective...
- Long-term efficacy of biologics in the treatment of psoriasis: what do we really know?Eihab A Alwawi
NorthShore University Healthsystem, Feinberg School of Medicine, Stokie, Illinois 60077, USA
Dermatol Ther 22:431-40. 2009....
- Management of autoimmune bullous diseases: pharmacology and therapeuticsDiya F Mutasim
Department of Dermatology, University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, OH 45267 0592, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:859-77; quiz 878-80. 2004....
- Treatment of plaque psoriasis with the two-compound product calcipotriol/betamethasone dipropionate versus both monotherapies: an immunohistochemical studyHaike M J van der Velden
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Dermatolog Treat 21:13-22. 2010..In conclusion, the investigated markers of the skin immune system and epidermal proliferation indicated an added value of the two-compound product over both monotherapies...
- Recent insights into the immunopathogenesis of psoriasis provide new therapeutic opportunitiesBrian J Nickoloff
Skin Disease Research Laboratory and Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Loyola University of Chicago, Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
J Clin Invest 113:1664-75. 2004..Such strategic transition from serendipity to the use of novel selective agents aimed at defined targets in psoriatic lesions is moving rapidly from research benches to the bedsides of patients with this chronic and debilitating disease...
- Sacroiliitis and polyneuropathy during isotretinoin treatmentE Eksioglu
Department of Neurology, Ministry of Health, Ankara Diskapi Yildirim Beyazit Education Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Exp Dermatol 33:122-4. 2008..Dermatologists are advised to be alert to symptoms of polyneuropathy and sacroiliitis during treatment with isotretinoin...
- Potential complications associated with the use of biologic agents for psoriasisJoshua A Zeichner
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, 5 East 98th Street, Box 1048, New York, NY 10029, USA
Dermatol Clin 25:207-13, vii. 2007..Both physicians and patients should be aware of the risks involved with each medicine so that the correct drug is chosen to suit each patient...
- Disabling acne fulminansTiago Pina Zanelato
Servico de Dermatologia, Faculdade de Medicina de Jundiai, Jundiai, SP, Brasil
An Bras Dermatol 86:S9-12. 2011..This case describes a male patient with a diagnosis of grade III acne, who developed acne fulminans and bilateral sacroiliitis with inability to ambulate, after initiation of therapy with isotretinoin...
- Pimecrolimus cream, 1%, vs hydrocortisone acetate cream, 1%, in the treatment of facial seborrheic dermatitis: a randomized, investigator-blind, clinical trialAlireza Firooz
Arch Dermatol 142:1066-7. 2006
- Use of methotrexate in patients with psoriasisA Kuhn
Department of Dermatology, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Clin Exp Rheumatol 28:S138-44. 2010..This review summarises the nature of the disease and our present knowledge about MTX in the treatment of psoriasis, including combination therapies...
- The novel protease inhibitor SRD441 ointment is not effective in the treatment of adult subjects with atopic dermatitis: results of a randomized, vehicle-controlled studyR Foelster Holst
Clinic for Dermatology, Venereology and Allergy, UK S H, Campus Kiel, Germany
Allergy 65:1594-9. 2010..SRD44 is a topically formulated novel protease inhibitor that selectively inhibits Staphylococcal-derived aureolysin and matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs)...
- Prednisolone vs. ciclosporin for severe adult eczema. An investigator-initiated double-blind placebo-controlled multicentre trialJ Schmitt
Department of Dermatology, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Br J Dermatol 162:661-8. 2010..The efficacy of prednisolone and other steroids, however, has never been evaluated appropriately. A meta-analysis indicated that ciclosporin is the best evaluated systemic treatment for eczema...
- Tazarotene cream in the treatment of psoriasis: Two multicenter, double-blind, randomized, vehicle-controlled studies of the safety and efficacy of tazarotene creams 0.05% and 0.1% applied once daily for 12 weeksGerald D Weinstein
University of California, Irvine, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:760-7. 2003..Tazarotene in a gel formulation is widely used in the treatment of psoriasis...
- Efficacy and safety of infliximab vs. methotrexate in patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis: results of an open-label, active-controlled, randomized trial (RESTORE1)J Barker
St John s Institute of Dermatology, King s College London, London, UK
Br J Dermatol 165:1109-17. 2011..To date, no studies have directly compared the efficacy and safety of infliximab and MTX...
- Pimecrolimus 1% cream in the treatment of facial psoriasis: a 16-week open-label studyArnd Jacobi
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Dermatology 216:133-6. 2008..Facial psoriasis requires a treatment approach other than topical corticosteroids which bear the risk of skin atrophy. Topical pimecrolimus has been shown to be effective in atopic eczema and recently in psoriasis...
- Association of suicide attempts with acne and treatment with isotretinoin: retrospective Swedish cohort studyAnders Sundström
Centre for Pharmacoepidemiology, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital T2, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
BMJ 341:c5812. 2010..To assess the risk of attempted suicide before, during, and after treatment with isotretinoin for severe acne...
- [Botulinum toxin injection techniques in the lower third and middle of the face, the neck and the décolleté: the "Nefertiti lift"]V Gassia
Ann Dermatol Venereol 136:S111-8. 2009..The face contours can also be improved by the Nefertiti lift. In the mid and lower regions of the face, botulinum toxin is often a complement to other esthetic techniques, particularly filling procedures...
- Clinical and cytological effects of pimecrolimus cream 1% after resolution of active atopic dermatitis lesions by topical corticosteroids: a randomized controlled trialChristine Bangert
Department of Dermatology, Division of Immunology, Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Dermatology 222:36-48. 2011..Topical pimecrolimus may maintain remissions of atopic dermatitis (AD) by inhibiting subclinical inflammation...
- Topical pimecrolimus in the treatment of human allergic contact dermatitisDavid Amrol
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 91:563-6. 2003..There are studies supporting the effectiveness of macrolactams when administered before antigen challenge, but there are no studies describing the effectiveness of these drugs in the treatment of established human ACD...
- Isotretinoin and the risk of depression in patients with acne vulgaris: a case-crossover studyLaurent Azoulay
Department of Pharmacy, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 69:526-32. 2008..To determine whether isotretinoin increases the risk of depression in patients with acne vulgaris...
- Methotrexate in psoriasis: a systematic review of treatment modalities, incidence, risk factors and monitoring of liver toxicityH Montaudie
Dermatology Department, Nice University, L Archet II Hospital, Nice, France
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 25:12-8. 2011..To define practical use and to specify the ideal method for monitoring the liver toxicity of MTX in the management of psoriasis...
- Systemic combination treatment for psoriasis: a reviewPeter Jensen
Department of Dermato Allergology, Copenhagen University Hospital Gentofte, Denmark
Acta Derm Venereol 90:341-9. 2010..The most thoroughly investigated combination was retinoid and phototherapy. Further controlled research is needed to define the safest and most effective combination regimens...
- Alefacept (anti-CD2) causes a selective reduction in circulating effector memory T cells (Tem) and relative preservation of central memory T cells (Tcm) in psoriasisFrancesca Chamian
Laboratory for Investigative Dermatology, The Rockefeller University, New York, USA
J Transl Med 5:27. 2007..Alefacept (anti-CD2) biological therapy selectively targets effector memory T cells (Tem) in psoriasis vulgaris, a model Type 1 autoimmune disease...
- The value of amino-terminal propeptide of type III procollagen in routine screening for methotrexate-induced liver fibrosis: a 10-year follow-upH Zachariae
Department of Dermatology, Marselisborg Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Br J Dermatol 144:100-3. 2001..Methotrexate (MTX) -induced liver damage is an important complication in patients treated with this drug for skin disease. Reliable non-invasive monitoring tests would have considerable importance...
- Acne and systemic diseaseMargarita S Lolis
Department of Dermatology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Med Clin North Am 93:1161-81. 2009..Generally, the severity of acne lesions determines the type of acne regimen necessary. The emergence of drug-resistant P acnes and adverse side effects are current limitations to effective acne management...
- Analysis of aliphatic dicarboxylic acids in pharmaceuticals and cosmetics by liquid chromatography (HPLC) with fluorescence detectionR Gatti
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Bologna, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 13:589-95. 1995..The proposed methods proved to be suitable for the quality control of various complex pharmaceutical and cosmetic formulations of the azelaic acid and meglutol...
- Eczema workshops reduce severity of childhood atopic eczemaElizabeth J Moore
Department of Dermatology, The Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Australas J Dermatol 50:100-6. 2009..In this study, patients attending the eczema workshop had a greater improvement in eczema severity thanpatients attending a dermatologist-led clinic, supporting collaborative models of service provision...
- UstekinumabJuliane Weber
Wolters Kluwer Health Adis, 41 Centorian Drive, Mairangi Bay, North Shore 0754, Auckland, New Zealand
BioDrugs 23:53-61. 2009..Subcutaneous ustekinumab was generally well tolerated in clinical trials, with most treatment-emergent adverse events being of mild severity...
- Methotrexate and psoriasis: 2009 National Psoriasis Foundation Consensus ConferenceRobert E Kalb
Department of Dermatology State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Science, Buffalo, New York, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 60:824-37. 2009..Methotrexate remains a valuable option for the treatment of psoriasis. This report will summarize studies regarding the use of methotrexate since the last guidelines were published in 1998...
- The treatment of facial atopic dermatitis in children who are intolerant of, or dependent on, topical corticosteroids: a randomized, controlled clinical trialP H Hoeger
Department of Paediatric Dermatology, Catholic Children s Hospital, Wilhelmstift, Liliencronstr 130, 22149 Hamburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 160:415-22. 2009..Treatment with topical corticosteroids (TCS) is limited due to heightened risk of treatment-associated side-effects, thus necessitating alternative AD therapies...
- The mechanism of retinol-induced irritation and its application to anti-irritant developmentBae Hwan Kim
Department of Veterinary Public Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, San 56 1, Shillim Dong, Kwanak gu, Seoul 151 742, South Korea
Toxicol Lett 146:65-73. 2003....
- Bilateral comparison study of pimecrolimus cream 1% and a ceramide-hyaluronic acid emollient foam in the treatment of patients with atopic dermatitisAmylynne Frankel
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 5 East 98th Street, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 10:666-72. 2011..This study confirmed that pimecrolimus cream 1% and the medical device foam work well in the treatment of AD in both adults and children with no associated adverse effects...
- Narrowband ultraviolet B phototherapy and 308-nm excimer laser in the treatment of vitiligo: a reviewElectra Nicolaidou
First Department of Dermatology, University of Athens School of Medicine, Andreas Sygros Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Am Acad Dermatol 60:470-7. 2009..Available data concerning the follow-up of treated patients and some criteria for the selection of patients with a greater chance to respond satisfactorily to treatment are also presented...
- Systemic exposure, tolerability, and efficacy of pimecrolimus cream 1% in atopic dermatitis patientsB R Allen
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Arch Dis Child 88:969-73. 2003..To measure pimecrolimus blood concentrations and to evaluate tolerability and efficacy in children and infants treated topically for atopic dermatitis with pimecrolimus cream 1% for three weeks...
- The socioeconomic impact of atopic dermatitis in the United States: a systematic reviewAnthony J Mancini
Division of Pediatric Dermatology, Children s Memorial Hospital, and Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60614, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 25:1-6. 2008..Measurement of the cost of atopic dermatitis in the United States has been limited to direct cost-identification analyses, with few studies measuring the indirect cost of disease...
- Low-dose isotretinoin in the treatment of acne vulgarisBoaz Amichai
Huzot Clinic of Clalit Health Services, Ashkelon, Israel
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:644-6. 2006..The efficacy of isotretinoin at 0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg per day in the treatment of acne is well established and considered safe, although it is sometimes not easily tolerated because of its cutaneous side effects...
- Randomized trial of pimecrolimus cream versus triamcinolone acetonide paste in the treatment of oral lichen planusFarzam Gorouhi
Center for Research and Training in Skin Diseases and Leprosy, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:806-13. 2007..1% to 4% of the general population. There is no published randomized active control clinical trial on pimecrolimus for the treatment of oral lichen planus (OLP)...
- Excimer laser vs. clobetasol propionate 0·05% ointment in prurigo form of atopic dermatitis: a randomized controlled trial, a pilotE E A Brenninkmeijer
Department of Dermatology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 163:823-31. 2010..As this laser enables high radiant exposure of narrowband UVB and precise targeting of affected skin, it appears to be a promising treatment for the prurigo form of atopic dermatitis (AD)...
- Changes of psychiatric parameters and their relationships by oral isotretinoin in acne patientsBong Jin Hahm
Department of Dermatology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Dermatol 36:255-61. 2009..These results indicate that oral isotretinoin therapy alleviates depressive symptoms. Improvements in depression are directly related to acne-related life quality improvements rather than to improvement in acne grade...
- Etanercept combined with methotrexate for high-need psoriasisR J B Driessen
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Medical Centre, PO Box 9101, 6525 GL Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 159:460-3. 2008..In these cases it might be indicated to combine etanercept with other conventional treatments. Objectives To provide daily practice safety and efficacy data for etanercept and methotrexate combination therapy...
- Influence of isotretinoin on nasal mucociliary clearance and lung function in patients with acne vulgarisCanan Gorpelioglu
Department of Dermatology, Fatih University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 49:87-90. 2010..Isotretinoin caused signs and symptoms of dry nose and disturbed mucociliary clearance without affecting PFTs. Nasal complications generally are not serious, especially when isotretinoin is taken in low doses...
- Guidelines for treating acneAndreas D Katsambas
Department of Dermatology, University of Athens, Andreas Sygros Hospital, 5 Ionos Dragoumi Street, Athens, Greece
Clin Dermatol 22:439-44. 2004..3) Effective treatment can dramatically improve a person's quality of life...
- Long-term efficacy and safety of pimecrolimus cream 1% in adults with moderate atopic dermatitisMichael Meurer
Hautklinikum, Universitätsklinikum der TU, Dresden, Germany
Dermatology 208:365-72. 2004..Pimecrolimus cream 1% is a non-steroid, selective inflammatory cytokine inhibitor indicated for atopic dermatitis (AD)...
- Patterns of combination therapy with alefacept for the treatment of psoriasis in Canada in the AWARE studyGordon Searles
Keystone Dermatology Institute, Edmonton, AB
J Cutan Med Surg 13:S131-8. 2009..Evidence from clinical trials supports the use of alefacept for the treatment of patients with chronic plaque psoriasis, either as monotherapy or combined with other treatment modalities...
- Patient-reported outcomes of psoriasis improvement with etanercept therapy: results of a randomized phase III trialG G Krueger
Department of Dermatology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, 30 N 1900 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 0001, USA
Br J Dermatol 153:1192-9. 2005..Etanercept, a soluble tumour necrosis factor receptor, lessens the severity of psoriasis as measured by physician-reported clinical outcomes. Equally important is the patient perspective on the effect of etanercept therapy on daily life...
- 13-cis-retinoic acid alters the cellular morphology of slice-cultured serotonergic neurons in the ratJunko Ishikawa
Department of Neuroscience, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Minamikogushi, Ube, Yamaguchi 755 8505, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 27:2363-72. 2008..Moreover, RXR has a greater influence on the morphology of 5-HT neurons than RAR. The receptor-mediated actions of 13-cis-RA presented here may provide a clue for further research on depression associated with the use of 13-cis-RA...
- Topical treatment of mild to moderate plaque psoriasis with 0.3% tacrolimus gel and 0.5% tacrolimus cream: the effect on SUM score, epidermal proliferation, keratinization, T-cell subsets and HLA-DR expressionW H P M Vissers
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Medical Centre Nijmegen, René Descartes dreef 1, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 158:705-12. 2008..g. the transcription of proinflammatory cytokines, keratinocyte hyperproliferation and the expression of HLA-DR in lesional psoriatic skin...
- Chronic 13-cis-retinoic acid administration disrupts network interactions between the raphe nuclei and the hippocampal system in young adult miceKally C O'Reilly
Institute of Cellular and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 605:68-77. 2009....
- 13-cis-Retinoic acid alters intracellular serotonin, increases 5-HT1A receptor, and serotonin reuptake transporter levels in vitroKally C O'Reilly
Institute of Cellular and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 232:1195-203. 2007..Increases in both 5-HT(1A) receptor and SERT proteins may lead to decreased serotonin availability at synapses. Such an effect of 13-cis-RA could contribute to the increased depression-related behaviors we have shown in mice...
- A double-blind, randomized quantitative comparison of calcitriol ointment and calcipotriol ointment on epidermal cell populations, proliferation and differentiationJ E M Körver
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 156:130-7. 2007..However, studies comparing both treatment modalities are scarce. Especially, there are almost no studies comparing the effects on epidermal cell populations in a quantitative manner...
- The long-term efficacy and safety of new biological therapies for psoriasisKim A Papp
Probity Medical Research, University of Western Ontario, 135 Union Street East, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Arch Dermatol Res 298:7-15. 2006..Long-term data from psoriasis trials continue to accumulate. Recent data suggest that biological therapies have efficacy and safety profiles suitable for the long-term treatment of patients with moderate to severe psoriasis...
- Clinical, biometric and structural evaluation of the long-term effects of a topical treatment with ascorbic acid and madecassoside in photoaged human skinMarek Haftek
Universite Lyon 1, EA4169 Laboratory for Dermatological Research, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France
Exp Dermatol 17:946-52. 2008..Two-thirds of the subjects showed an improvement. The re-appearance of a normally structured elastic fibre network was observed. Our results revealed a functional and structural remodelling of chronically sun-damaged skin...
- Practical use of Juvéderm: early experienceKevin C Smith
Niagara Falls Dermatology and Skin Care Center, Ontario, Canada
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:67S-73S. 2007..The author's purpose was to provide early information to clinicians who perform aesthetic surgery...
- A prospective study of the responsiveness of depression and suicidal ideation in acne patients to different phases of isotretinoin therapyS C Kellett
Department of Clinical Psychology, Keresforth Centre, Barnsley S70 6RS, UK
Eur J Dermatol 15:484-8. 2005..Corresponding improvements in the somatic symptoms of depression and hopelessness were not found. The implications of the research are discussed in relation to methodological design issues in this area...
- Development of SLNs from natural lipids: application to topical delivery of tretinoinSagar D Mandawgade
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technology, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Int J Pharm 363:132-8. 2008..The results of the characterization and evaluation established the safety for use, suitability and compatibility of indigenous natural lipids as a novel excipient...
- Infliximab associated new-onset psoriasisDavid R Adams
Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Department of Dermatology, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 5:178-9. 2006..We report 2 patients without a history of psoriasis who after administration of infliximab for their inflammatory bowel disease experienced new onset, biopsy confirmed psoriasis...
- Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of infliximab on psoriatic nails: an unblinded, nonrandomized, open-label studyD Rigopoulos
Department of Dermatology, Nail Unit, University of Athens Medical School, A Sygros Hospital, Athens, Greece
Br J Dermatol 159:453-6. 2008..Objectives The objective of this unblended, nonrandomized, open-label study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of infliximab on nail psoriasis...
- Dermal and transdermal delivery of an anti-psoriatic agent via ethanolic liposomesVaibhav Dubey
Pharmaceutics Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr Hari Singh Gour University, Sagar M P, 470003, India
J Control Release 123:148-54. 2007..Our results suggests that ethosomes are an efficient carrier for dermal and transdermal delivery of MTX...
- Methotrexate versus cyclosporine in moderate-to-severe chronic plaque psoriasisVera M R Heydendael
Department of Dermatology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 349:658-65. 2003..We conducted a randomized, controlled trial comparing methotrexate and cyclosporine in terms of effectiveness, side effects, and the quality of life...
- Calcipotriol cream combined with twice weekly broad-band UVB phototherapy: a safe, effective and UVB-sparing antipsoriatric combination treatment. The Canadian Calcipotriol and UVB Study GroupC A Ramsay
Women s College Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
Dermatology 200:17-24. 2000..Although studies on calcipotriol and UVB have also been performed, there are no data on the UVB-saving effect of calcipotriol combined with broad-band UVB to reduce overall UVB exposure, while maintaining efficacy...
- Calcipotriol plus short-contact dithranol: a novel topical combination therapy for chronic plaque psoriasisA Monastirli
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of Patras, Patras, Greece
Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol 15:246-51. 2002....
- Topical calcipotriol plus oral fumaric acid is more effective and faster acting than oral fumaric acid monotherapy in the treatment of severe chronic plaque psoriasis vulgarisH Gollnick
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Dermatology 205:46-53. 2002..Calcipotriol is an established topical therapy for psoriasis vulgaris...
- Role of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in methotrexate-induced liver injuryG Langman
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Groote Schuur Hospital and the University of Cape Town, South Africa
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:1395-401. 2001..In addition, MTX alone can cause a NASH-like pattern of injury that is at least, in part, caused by a higher cumulative dose...
- A new calcipotriol/betamethasone formulation with rapid onset of action was superior to monotherapy with betamethasone dipropionate or calcipotriol in psoriasis vulgarisW S Douglas
Department of Dermatology, Monklands Hospital, Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK
Acta Derm Venereol 82:131-5. 2002..It is safe to transfer patients from combination to calcipotriol, with maintenance of clinical effect...
- Rapid response to infliximab in severe pustular psoriasis, von Zumbusch typeMeggan R Newland
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami, 1444 NW 9th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Int J Dermatol 41:449-52. 2002..We report a case of rapid response and clinical benefit using infliximab in severe pustular psoriasis of von Zumbusch...
- Combination of calcipotriene (Dovonex) ointment and tazarotene (Tazorac) gel versus clobetasol ointment in the treatment of plaque psoriasis: a pilot studyPaul H Bowman
Department of Dermatology, University of California at San Francisco, 94118, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:907-13. 2002..Both calcipotriene and tazarotene have been shown to be effective in the treatment of psoriasis. No study has evaluated the effect of using both agents simultaneously...
- Treatment of psoriasis with the chimeric monoclonal antibody against tumor necrosis factor alpha, infliximabRudolf E Schopf
Department of Dermatology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:886-91. 2002..Psoriatic skin lesions in patients with Crohn's disease or psoriatic arthritis have shown improvement during infliximab treatment...
- Tazarotene cream for the treatment of facial photodamage: a multicenter, investigator-masked, randomized, vehicle-controlled, parallel comparison of 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05%, and 0.1% tazarotene creams with 0.05% tretinoin emollient cream applied once daily fS Kang
Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Arch Dermatol 137:1597-604. 2001..To assess the safety and efficacy of 4 concentrations of tazarotene cream in the treatment of facial photodamage...
- Comparison of combined azelaic acid cream plus oral minocycline with oral isotretinoin in severe acneH P Gollnick
Department of Dermatology and Venerology, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 11:538-44. 2001..The secondary aim was to establish the value of AA cream as maintenance therapy in the prevention of recurrent acne...
- Topical therapies for localized psoriasisP M Witman
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 76:943-9. 2001..This article reviews the topical medications currently available for the treatment of psoriasis and provides an approach to patients with localized disease...
- Efficacy of sirolimus (rapamycin) administered concomitantly with a subtherapeutic dose of cyclosporin in the treatment of severe psoriasis: a randomized controlled trialS Reitamo
Department of Dermatology, Skin and Allergy Hospital, University of Helsinki, Meilahdentie 2, 00250 Helsinki, Finland
Br J Dermatol 145:438-45. 2001..The identification of a highly potent immunosuppressive/antiproliferative agent with an acceptable toxicity profile has long been a goal for the management of severe plaque psoriasis...
- Combination therapy with vitamin D analoguesS Lamba
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York 10029-6574, USA
Br J Dermatol 144:27-32. 2001..As long as treatments are used correctly, the benefits of combination therapy with vitamin D analogues usually outweigh the few drawbacks...
- Calcitriol 3 microg g-1 ointment in combination with ultraviolet B phototherapy for the treatment of plaque psoriasis: results of a comparative studyJ Ring
University Hospital of Dermatology, Hamburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 144:495-9. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Calcitriol 3 microg g-1 ointment and UVB phototherapy in combination provides a promising therapy for managing chronic plaque psoriasis...
- Transdermal delivery of methotrexate: iontophoretic delivery from hydrogels and passive delivery from microemulsionsM J Alvarez-Figueroa
Departamento de Farmacia y Tecnologia Farmaceutica, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 15706, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Int J Pharm 215:57-65. 2001..At the end of all assays, significant amounts of MTX were detected in the skin. These results suggest that both hydrogels and microemulsions may be of value for the topical administration of MTX in the treatment of psoriasis...
- A comparison of tazarotene 0.1% gel once daily plus mometasone furoate 0.1% cream once daily versus calcipotriene 0.005% ointment twice daily in the treatment of plaque psoriasisL C Guenther
Private practice and University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Clin Ther 22:1225-38. 2000..Tazarotene is commonly used in conjunction with a topical corticosteroid. In this study, tazarotene was used with mometasone furoate (a synthetic corticosteroid), and the 2-drug regimen was compared with calcipotriene monotherapy...
- Isotretinoin use and risk of depression, psychotic symptoms, suicide, and attempted suicideS S Jick
Boston Collaborative Drug Surveillance Program, 11 Muzzey St, Lexington, MA 02421, USA
Arch Dermatol 136:1231-6. 2000..It has been suggested that there is a causal association between isotretinoin therapy and the risk of depression, psychotic symptoms, suicide, and attempted suicide...
- Photodamage pilot study: a double-blind, vehicle-controlled study to assess the efficacy and safety of tazarotene 0.1% gelJ Sefton
Allergan, Inc, Irvine, and the Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 43:656-63. 2000..Tazarotene, a potent acetylenic retinoid for topical use, might be expected to benefit photodamaged skin, including improving the classical signs of fine wrinkles, mottled hyperpigmentation, and roughness...
- Treatment of psoriasis with fumaric acid esters: results of a prospective multicentre study. German Multicentre StudyU Mrowietz
Department of Dermatology, University of Kiel, Germany
Br J Dermatol 138:456-60. 1998..Transient eosinophilia seems to be a characteristic feature of FAE therapy, while lymphocytopenia is usually mild. Adverse effects are dose-related and consist mainly of gastrointestinal complaints and flushing...
- Tazarotene 0.1% cream versus tretinoin 0.05% emollient cream in the treatment of photodamaged facial skin: a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, parallel-group studyNicholas Lowe
Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Cosmet Laser Ther 6:79-85. 2004..To compare the efficacy and tolerability of tazarotene 0.1% cream and tretinoin 0.05% emollient cream in the treatment of photodamaged facial skin...
- Efalizumab for patients with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis: a randomized controlled trialKenneth B Gordon
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Ill 60153, USA
JAMA 290:3073-80. 2003..Because T-cell interactions are involved in the pathophysiology of psoriasis, therapy with a T-cell modulator may have beneficial effects on psoriasis severity and health-related quality of life (HRQL)...
- Long-term safety aspects of systemic therapy with fumaric acid esters in severe psoriasisJ J Hoefnagel
Department of Dermatology, B1 Q, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 149:363-9. 2003..In view of the chronic character of psoriasis, long-term safety aspects are of major importance in determining the suitability of a drug during prolonged periods of treatment...
- Recalcitrant, generalized pustular psoriasis: rapid and lasting therapeutic response to antitumour necrosis factor-alpha antibody (infliximab)K Schmick
Br J Dermatol 150:367. 2004
- Low-dose schema of isotretinoin in acne vulgarisI Mandekou-Lefaki
State Hospital for Skin and Venereal Diseases, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Clin Pharmacol Res 23:41-6. 2003..Our results confirm the beneficial effect of the low-dose schema. We recommend a total dose > or = 120 mg/kg, as this therapeutic regimen of isotretinoin has proven to be the most successful in preventing relapses and scarring...
- ANALOG STUDIES OF 4-HPR AND ITS GLUCURONIDERobert W Curley; Fiscal Year: 2013..A clearer understanding of how these promising molecules function would further enhance our ability to develop and exploit them. ..
- CLINICAL TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH IN DERMATOLOGYSewon Kang; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- UV-induced collagen reduction: treating skin sclerodermaSewon Kang; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- INTERACTIVE IMAGE GUIDED CLOSED LOOP THERMAL THERAPYRoger McNichols; Fiscal Year: 2007..This combination of stereotactic laser thermal therapy with real-time MRI will facilitate an unprecedented integration of the diagnostic and therapeutic environments. ..
- Topical Treatment for Mild PsoriasisWendy Bollag; Fiscal Year: 2007..An effective, easy-to-use, low-cost therapy suitable for long-term relief would be a great boon. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Periodontal Assessment in RA Study (PARAS)Clifton Bingham; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chemokine Receptor Chimeras by Synthetic Gene LibraryMichael Dustin; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Impact of Fiber Fermentation on Fecal IncontinenceDonna Bliss; Fiscal Year: 2007..Differences among the measures of the groups after supplementation will be compared after controlling for baseline values of these measures using ANCOVA. ..
- Cell Death in Normal and Diseased Human EpidermisBrian Nickoloff; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Pimecrolius on T cell Responses in Atopic MarchJonathan Spergel; Fiscal Year: 2008..In third aim of the trial, we explore the effects of pimecrolimus as a disease-modifying agent in the prevention of asthma. Asthma phenotype will be examined by spirometry per and post-beta-2-agonist and exhaled nitric oxide. ..
- Investigating the Risk of Lymphoma in Psoriasis PatientsJoel Gelfand; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Raising Literacy and Capacity for Incontinence and Skin Care in DementiaDonna Bliss; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Changes in sexual function following bariatric surgeryDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study is innovative, as it will provide new and important information on the long-term effects of bariatric surgery on these important areas of quality of life. ..
- Skin Manifestations of Tuberous SclerosisJack Arbiser; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific Aim 3. To determine whether dysregulation of p16ink4a and PTCH (patched) acts as a modifier of theTS phenotype in transgenic mice expressing dominant negative tuberin. ..
- IMMUNOPATHOGENESIS OF PSORIASISBrian Nickoloff; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Quantitating Absorption of Complex Chemical MixturesJim Riviere; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- ImmunoreceptorsMichael Dustin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nitric Oxide Synthase Polymorphisms and Risk for Skin CancerAbrar Qureshi; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PHOSPHOLIPASE D AND KERATINOCYTE DIFFERENTIATIONWendy Bollag; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PTH (7-34) for Chemotherapy alopecia in Breast CancerMichael Holick; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Percutaneous Vertebroplasty w/MR-Guided Laser AblationRoger McNichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..In conjunction with interventional radiologists at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, we will then evaluate the procedure in a small human clinical study. ..
- SQUAMOUS EPITHELIAL CELL INVASION IN ORGAN CULTUREJames Varani; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- CUTANEOUS ONCOLOGYMadeleine Duvic; Fiscal Year: 2004..Young physicians and students who receive advanced training in the proper detection, prevention, and treatment of skin cancers will be a resource and may improve outcomes for patients of the future. ..
- MUCOSAL T-CELLS IN EARLY&LATE PEDIATRIC CROHN'S DISEASESubra Kugathasan; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- PHENOTYPE AND FUNCTION OF SENESCENT KERATINOCYTESBrian Nickoloff; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Role of TGF-b In Excessive Scarring: A Cutaneous ModelThomas Mustoe; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- THE PHOTOBIOLOGY OF VITAMIN DMichael Holick; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results from this study should provide important new insights into the photoproduction of toxisterols and suprasterols in human skin and provide new information about their potential biologic functions in the skin. ..
- Mechanisms of MMP-3 Action in Acute Lung InjuryJames Varani; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will provide an overall understanding of the mechanism(s) by which MMP-3 contributes to acute lung injury. ..
- Image Guided Thermal Therapy for Prostate CancerRoger McNichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- TOPICAL RETINOIDS FOR DIABETIC FOOT ULCERSJames Varani; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- LASER TATTOO REMOVAL SYSTEM USING DERMAL CLEARING AGENTRoger McNichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..The envisioned product is an agent/ applicator combination, which would be sold as a preparative accessory for appropriate dermatological laser procedures. ..
- Novel Optical Probe for Oral and Dental Tissue ScreeningRoger McNichols; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMPACT OF AGING, ISCHEMIA AND CYTOKINES ON WOUND HEALINGThomas Mustoe; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Microbiology/Immunology of Periodontal Disease in T1DMPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..An integrated multidisciplinary effort provides significant data collection capabilities essential for understanding the complex multifactorial etiology of periodontal disease in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- Surrogate markers of complete venous ulcer healingJoel Gelfand; Fiscal Year: 2002..Through conducting these studies and pursuing the MSCE, the investigator will develop a series of epidemiological tools for which to apply to future scientific investigations. ..
- Obesity, Body Image and Weight MaintenanceDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies have been selected to further develop my knowledge of the treatment of obesity, and the training program has been designed to facilitate my development as an independent investigator in the field of obesity. ..
- Inverted two photon laser scanning microscope for host defenseMichael Dustin; Fiscal Year: 2008..The impact on public health will be to develop better strategies to fight infections and reduce the incidence of pathogen triggered autoimmunity. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Vitamin A Storage and MetabolismWilliam S Blaner; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, in Aim 3 we will investigate how vitamin A is mobilized from HSCs and whether this requires direct involvement of serum retinol-binding protein (RBP) synthesized in hepatocytes. ..
- FASEB SUMMER RESEARCH CONFERENCE ON RETINOIDSWILLIAM BLANER; Fiscal Year: 2002..This overview should allow the evaluation of future directions and the development of new ideas as well critical review of the recent research. ..
- ORAL HEALTH OF OLDER TYPE 1 DIABETIC PATIENTSPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..This overall plan will permit us to understand the etiology of these complications and to define specific subpopulations and risk factors appropriate for future prospective oral health prevention and intervention trials. ..
- Novel Optical System for Early Cervical Cancer DetectionRoger McNichols; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such a probe would be useful in detecting epithelial cancers in other easily accessible sites in the body including the urinary tract, bladder, gastro-intestinal tract, colon, and oral cavity. ..
- Postoperative dietary counseling after bariatric surgeryDAVID SARWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of this study could have a significant impact on the postoperative care of these individuals. ..
- Carotene Cleavage Enzyme: Properties and PhysiologyWILLIAM BLANER; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Aim 4, we propose to use a cDNA clone for human CCE to characterize the biochemical properties of the recombinant enzyme. ..
- Retinoids, RAMBAs, and Histone Deacetylase InhibitorsVincent Njar; Fiscal Year: 2006..The following specific aims that are proposed should enable us obtain substantial data that may support our hypothesis. ..
- Effect of tumor and heparan sulfate on immune responsesRashid Rashid; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim #3 will determine if in vivo heparan sulfate treatment of LLC-bearing mice can increase the Th1 response. Results of our studies will lead to more effective immunotherapeutic approaches for cancer treatment. ..
- Regularity Mechanisms of Aldosterone SecretionWendy Bollag; Fiscal Year: 2006..The complex interactions between AngII and serum K+ levels suggest that abnormalities in the glomerulosa cell response to either agonist, or both, may contribute to the development of some forms of hypertension. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SunSmart America: Evaluating a School-based CurriculumRobert Kirsner; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results will be used for planning to implement the SunSmart America curriculum throughout Florida and nationwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nicotine Modulation of Caspases in Non-Neuronal CellsLORISE GAHRING; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Cholinergic Modulation of Inflammatory CNS CytokinesLORISE GAHRING; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..