Genomes and Genes
Summary: Drugs used to prevent NAUSEA or VOMITING. Antiemetics act by a wide range of mechanisms. Some act on the medullary control centers (the vomiting center and the chemoreceptive trigger zone) while others affect the peripheral receptors.
Publications312 found, 100 shown here
- Prevention and treatment of postoperative nausea and vomitingA L Kovac
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7415, USA
Drugs 59:213-43. 2000..Commonly used older, traditional antiemetics for PONV include the anticholinergics (scopolamine), phenothiazines (promethazine), antihistamines (..
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomitingPaul J Hesketh
Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA 02135, USA
N Engl J Med 358:2482-94. 2008
- A factorial trial of six interventions for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomitingChristian C Apfel
Julius Maximilians Universitat, Wurzburg, Germany
N Engl J Med 350:2441-51. 2004..Although many trials have been conducted, the relative benefits of prophylactic antiemetic interventions given alone or in combination remain unknown...
- Antiemetics: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline updateEthan Basch
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:4189-98. 2011To update the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) guideline for antiemetics in oncology.
- Update and new trends in antiemetic therapy: the continuing need for novel therapiesP Feyer
Department of Radiooncology, Nuclear Medicine, Vivantes Clinics Berlin Neukölln, Berlin
Ann Oncol 22:30-8. 2011..This review focuses on the current understanding of CINV, problems associated with its management and the status of promising antiemetic therapies...
- Improved prevention of moderately emetogenic chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting with palonosetron, a pharmacologically novel 5-HT3 receptor antagonist: results of a phase III, single-dose trial versus dolasetronPeter Eisenberg
California Cancer Care, Greenbrae, California, USA
Cancer 98:2473-82. 2003..The current Phase III trial evaluated the efficacy and safety of palonosetron in preventing acute and delayed CINV after moderately emetogenic chemotherapy...
- Palonosetron exhibits unique molecular interactions with the 5-HT3 receptorCamilo Rojas
Research and Translational Development, MGI PHARMA INC, 6611 Tributary St, Baltimore, MD 21224 6515, USA
Anesth Analg 107:469-78. 2008..However, these attributes alone are not sufficient to explain the results with palonosetron. We sought to elucidate additional differences among 5-HT(3)-RAs that could help explain the observations in the clinic...
- Optimal timing of acustimulation for antiemetic prophylaxis as an adjunct to ondansetron in patients undergoing plastic surgeryPaul F White
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9068, USA
Anesth Analg 100:367-72. 2005..The incidence of vomiting/retching and the need for rescue antiemetics were determined at specific time intervals for up to 72 h after surgery...
- A randomized, double-blind study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of three different doses of palonosetron versus placebo for preventing postoperative nausea and vomitingKeith A Candiotti
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA
Anesth Analg 107:445-51. 2008....
- The effect of guideline-consistent antiemetic therapy on chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV): the Pan European Emesis Registry (PEER)M Aapro
Medical Oncology and Radiation, IMO Clinique de Genolier, Genolier, Switzerland
Ann Oncol 23:1986-92. 2012..Our objective was to evaluate the effect of guideline-consistent CINV prophylaxis (GCCP) on patient outcomes...
- Drug insight: New antiemetics in the management of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomitingThein H Oo
Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02135, USA
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 2:196-201. 2005..Recently, two new antiemetics, aprepitant, the first member of the neurokinin-1 antagonists, and palonosetron, a second-generation 5-..
- Mechanisms of reducing postoperative pain, nausea and vomiting: a systematic review of current techniquesAlex Rawlinson
Department of Surgery, Northampton General Hospital, Northampton, UK
Evid Based Med 17:75-80. 2012..The objective of this systematic review was to assess how single-modality evidence-based care principles, regarding postoperative analgesia and postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) prophylaxis, combine to achieve this...
- Guideline for the management of postoperative nausea and vomitingGeoff McCracken
Toronto ON, Canada
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 30:600-7, 608-16. 2008..Recognizing that we must work as a team to optimize the care of our patients perioperatively, this guideline was written in partnership with anaesthesiologists...
- Palonosetron: in the prevention of nausea and vomitingLily P H Yang
Adis, North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 69:2257-78. 2009..Intravenous palonosetron is a useful alternative to currently recommended agents in PONV prevention...
- Management of platinum-based chemotherapy-induced acute nausea and vomiting: is there a superior serotonin receptor antagonist?Mehdi Hamadani
Arthur G James Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43228, US
J Oncol Pharm Pract 13:69-75. 2007....
- Efficacy, dose-response, and safety of ondansetron in prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting: a quantitative systematic review of randomized placebo-controlled trialsM R Tramer
Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, The Churchill, and Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, United Kingdom
Anesthesiology 87:1277-89. 1997..The authors reviewed efficacy and safety data for ondansetron for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV)...
- Palonosetron plus dexamethasone versus granisetron plus dexamethasone for prevention of nausea and vomiting during chemotherapy: a double-blind, double-dummy, randomised, comparative phase III trialMitsue Saito
Department of Breast Oncology, Juntendo University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Lancet Oncol 10:115-24. 2009....
- Double-blind, randomised, controlled study of the efficacy and tolerability of palonosetron plus dexamethasone for 1 day with or without dexamethasone on days 2 and 3 in the prevention of nausea and vomiting induced by moderately emetogenic chemotherapyM Aapro
Division of Oncology, Institut Multidisciplinaire d Oncologie, Clinique de Genolier, Genolier, Switzerland
Ann Oncol 21:1083-8. 2010..We evaluated the possibility to reduce the total dose of corticosteroids when palonosetron, a long-acting second-generation 5-hydroxytryptamine-3 (5-HT(3)) receptor antagonist, is used...
- Prophylactic control of post-operative nausea and vomiting using ondansetron and ramosetron after cardiac surgeryD K Choi
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 54:962-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of ondansetron and ramosetron in the reduction of post-operative nausea and vomiting (PONV) associated with patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) after cardiac surgery...
- Efficacy and adverse effects of prophylactic antiemetics during patient-controlled analgesia therapy: a quantitative systematic reviewM R Tramer
Department APSIC, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 88:1354-61. 1999..At 24 h, the cumulative incidence of nausea and vomiting without antiemetics was approximately 50%. Droperidol 0.017-0.17 mg/mg of morphine (0...
- Motherisk update. Is ondansetron safe for use during pregnancy?Gideon Koren
Department of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario
Can Fam Physician 58:1092-3. 2012..I have read some new precautions recommended by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Is ondansetron safe to use during pregnancy?..
- The impact of prophylactic dexamethasone on nausea and vomiting after laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysisPaul J Karanicolas
Department of Surgery, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Ann Surg 248:751-62. 2008..To determine the impact of prophylactic corticosteroid administration on postoperative nausea, vomiting, pain and complications in patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy...
- Efficacy of palonosetron (PAL) compared to other serotonin inhibitors (5-HT3R) in preventing chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV) in patients receiving moderately or highly emetogenic (MoHE) treatment: systematic review and meta-analysisTobias Engel Ayer Botrel
Rua Tranquillo Prosperi, 143, Campinas, Sao Paulo, 13084 778, Brazil
Support Care Cancer 19:823-32. 2011..25 mg with other 5-HT(3)R in patients receiving moderately or highly emetogenic (MoHE) chemotherapy...
- Aprepitant: drug-drug interactions in perspectiveM S Aapro
Institut Multidisciplinaire d Oncologie, Clinique de Genolier, Switzerland
Ann Oncol 21:2316-23. 2010..Therefore, the concern of negative interactions remains largely theoretical but needs to be verified with new agents extensively metabolized through the 3A4 pathway...
- [Nausea and vomiting in the postoperative phase. Expert- and evidence-based recommendations for prophylaxis and therapy]C C Apfel
Perioperative Clinical Research Core, Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, UCSF Medical Center at Mt Zion, 1600 Divisadero, C 355, San Francisco, California 94115 1605, USA
Anaesthesist 56:1170-80. 2007..This appears to be true for total intravenous anesthesia (TIVA) as well as for dexamethasone and other antiemetics; assuming a sufficiently high, adequate and equipotent dosage which should be weight-adjusted in children...
- Antiemetic guidelines: creating a more practical treatment approachJim M Koeller
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Pharmacotherapy MSC 6220, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Support Care Cancer 10:519-22. 2002..creation of the original guidelines convened to try to create a simpler, more practical approach to the use of antiemetics in preventing chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting...
- A survey of prescribing for the management of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy in AustralasiaStephen H Raymond
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Hobart Hospital, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 53:358-62. 2013..There is an impression of poor management of pregnancy sickness in Australia, specifically an apparent total reliance on metoclopramide, as a first-line choice...
- Transcutaneous acupoint electrical stimulation with the ReliefBand for the prevention of nausea and vomiting during and after cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesiaAshraf S Habib
Department of Anesthesiology, Box 3094, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, 27710
Anesth Analg 102:581-4. 2006..nausea (30% versus 43%/23% versus 41%), vomiting (13% versus 9%/26 versus 37%), need for rescue antiemetics (23% versus 18%/34% versus 39%), or complete response (55% versus 57%/51% versus 34%)...
- Ondansetron in pregnancy and risk of adverse fetal outcomesBjörn Pasternak
Department of Epidemiology Research, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
N Engl J Med 368:814-23. 2013..Ondansetron is frequently used to treat nausea and vomiting during pregnancy, but the safety of this drug for the fetus has not been well studied...
- The effects of P6 electrical acustimulation on postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients after infratentorial craniotomyMing Xu
Department of Anesthesiology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 24:312-6. 2012..We evaluated the effectiveness of transcutaneous electrical acupoint stimulation (TEAS) at P6 for the prophylaxis of PONV in patients undergoing infratentorial craniotomy...
- Delayed nausea and vomiting continue to reduce patients' quality of life after highly and moderately emetogenic chemotherapy despite antiemetic treatmentBrigitte Bloechl-Daum
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Clin Oncol 24:4472-8. 2006....
- Patient perceptions of the side-effects of chemotherapy: the influence of 5HT3 antagonistsM de Boer Dennert
Department of Medical Oncology, Rotterdam Cancer Institute Daniel den Hoed Kliniek and University Hospital, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 76:1055-61. 1997..Presently, these antiemetics are routinely used as concomitant therapy in emetogenic chemotherapy regimens...
- Dexamethasone has a central antiemetic mechanism in decerebrated catsChiu Ming Ho
Department of Anesthesiology, National Defense Medical Center Tri Service General Hospital, Rm 8113, No 161, Sec 6, Minchiuan E Rd, Taipei 114, Taiwan
Anesth Analg 99:734-9, table of contents. 2004..These results suggest that dexamethasone exerts its central antiemetic action through an activation of the glucocorticoid receptors in the bilateral nuclei tractus solitarii in the medulla...
- Evaluation of new antiemetic agents and definition of antineoplastic agent emetogenicity--state of the artSteven M Grunberg
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, 89 Beaumont Avenue, Given Building E214, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Support Care Cancer 19:S43-7. 2011..Additional efforts will be necessary to understand mechanisms of nausea and to identify optimal remedies...
- A randomized controlled comparison of electro-acupoint stimulation or ondansetron versus placebo for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomitingTong J Gan
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Anesth Analg 99:1070-5, table of contents. 2004..Stimulation at P6 also has analgesic effects...
- Resource utilization and costs associated with chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV) following highly or moderately emetogenic chemotherapy administered in the US outpatient hospital settingThomas A Burke
Global Outcomes Research, Oncology, Global Human Health, Merck and Co, Inc, One Merck Drive, WS2E 76, Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889, USA
Support Care Cancer 19:131-40. 2011..This study was conducted to describe CINV-associated healthcare visits and costs following a first cycle of highly or moderately emetogenic chemotherapy (HEC or MEC)...
- Effects of aprepitant on cytochrome P450 3A4 activity using midazolam as a probeAnup K Majumdar
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19422, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 74:150-6. 2003..The effect of aprepitant on in vivo CYP3A4 activity in humans with oral midazolam used as a sensitive probe of CYP3A4 activity was evaluated in this study...
- Consensus guidelines for managing postoperative nausea and vomitingTong J Gan
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesth Analg 97:62-71, table of contents. 2003..We present evidence-based guidelines developed by an international panel of experts for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting...
- Electroacupoint stimulation for postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing supratentorial craniotomyXiao qiang Wang
Department of Neurosurgery, Huashan Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, China
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 22:128-31. 2010..We evaluated the effectiveness of transcutaneous electrical acupoint stimulation (TEAS) at the P6 acupoint for prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing supratentorial craniotomy...
- Combination of antiemetics for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting in high-risk patientsEun Jin Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 22:878-82. 2007..very high-risk patients identified by the Korean predictive model could be prevented by multiple prophylactic antiemetics. A total of 2,456 patients were selected from our previous PONV study and assigned to the control group, and ..
- 5-HT3 receptor antagonists for prevention of late acute-onset emesisManuel Constenla
Complejo Hospitalario de Pontevedra, C Loureiro Crespo, 2, 36001 Pontevedra, Spain
Ann Pharmacother 38:1683-91. 2004..To review the currently available literature on the efficacy of the 5-HT(3) receptor antagonists in the prevention of late acute-onset chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (12-24 h after cytotoxic treatment)...
- Palonosetron: a second-generation 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor antagonistRudolph M Navari
Indiana University School of Medicine, Notre Dame Cancer Institute, South Bend, IN 46617, USA
Future Oncol 2:591-602. 2006..Future studies may consider the use of palonosetron with current and other new agents and in other clinical settings, such as bone marrow transplantation and radiation therapy...
- Optimising antiemetic therapy: what are the problems and how can they be overcome?Matti Aapro
Clinique de Genolier, 1272, Genolier, Switzerland
Curr Med Res Opin 21:885-97. 2005..The PubMed search engine was used to search for relevant literature (up to December 2004) and relevant international congress materials collected during 2003 and 2004...
- Impact of nausea and vomiting on quality of life in cancer patients during chemotherapyEnzo Ballatori
Medical Statistics Unit, Dept of Internal Medicine and Public Health, University, P Tommasi 2, L Aquila, Italy
Health Qual Life Outcomes 1:46. 2003....
- A comparison of three antiemetic combinations for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomitingM J Sanchez-Ledesma
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University Clinic, School of Medicine, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Anesth Analg 95:1590-5, table of contents. 2002....
- Neurokinin-1 receptor antagonists in the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomitingP Diemunsch
Department of Anesthesiology, Hautepierre University Hospital, 1 Avenue Moliere, Strasbourg, France
Br J Anaesth 103:7-13. 2009..generator responsible for emesis and the central role of substance P, led to the development of a new class of antiemetics: the neurokinin-1 (NK1) receptor antagonists...
- The effectiveness of rescue antiemetics after failure of prophylaxis with ondansetron or droperidol: a preliminary reportAshraf S Habib
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Anesth 17:62-5. 2005..To compare the effectiveness of treating established postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) with an antiemetic acting at a different receptor with that of treating PONV with the antiemetic used for prophylaxis...
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in breast cancer patients: a prospective observational studyChristopher M Booth
Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre and Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
J Support Oncol 5:374-80. 2007..data documenting the prevalence and severity of emesis in patients with breast cancer in the era of modern antiemetics. This prospective multicenter study evaluated chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV) in patients with ..
- Prophylaxis of radiation-induced nausea and vomiting using 5-hydroxytryptamine-3 serotonin receptor antagonists: a systematic review of randomized trialsNadia Salvo
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:408-17. 2012..To systematically review the effectiveness and safety of 5-hydroxytryptamine-3 receptor antagonists (5-HT3 RAs) compared with other antiemetic medication or placebo for prophylaxis of radiation-induced nausea and vomiting...
- Anti-emetic effect of ondansetron and palonosetron in thyroidectomy: a prospective, randomized, double-blind studyY E Moon
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Seoul St Mary s Hospital, Catholic University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Br J Anaesth 108:417-22. 2012..This study compared the effects of i.v. ondansetron and palonosetron administered at the end of surgery in preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) in high-risk patients receiving i.v. PCA after thyroidectomy...
- The cardiotoxic potential of the 5-HT(3) receptor antagonist antiemetics: is there cause for concern?Deborah L Keefe
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Oncologist 7:65-72. 2002..To review and evaluate the potential cardiac effects of 5-HT(3) antiemetic treatment in patients who may be predisposed to cardiac complications resulting from malignancy, cytotoxic oncologic regimens, or preexisting comorbid conditions...
- Opportunities for the replacement of animals in the study of nausea and vomitingA M Holmes
National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research, London, W1B 1AL, UK
Br J Pharmacol 157:865-80. 2009..We provide suggestions for how these limitations may be overcome using non-animal alternatives, including greater use of human volunteers, in silico and in vitro techniques and lower organisms...
- Undertreatment of nausea and other symptoms in hospitalized cancer patientsJudi Greaves
Palliative Care, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, St Andrews Place, East Melbourne, VIC 3002, Australia
Support Care Cancer 17:461-4. 2009..This survey aimed to provide a symptom profile, in particular for nausea and its treatment, of advanced cancer patients prior to implementation of a clinical practice guideline for nausea...
- Pharmacokinetics of aprepitant after single and multiple oral doses in healthy volunteersAnup K Majumdar
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 46:291-300. 2006..Consistent daily plasma exposures of aprepitant were obtained following this regimen, which was generally well tolerated...
- A randomized, double-blind, parallel, comparative study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of ramosetron plus dexamethasone injection for the prevention of acute chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomitingChing Liang Ho
Division of Hematology Oncology, Tri Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 40:294-301. 2010..To evaluate the efficacy of intravenous ramosetron plus dexamethasone for the prevention of acute chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting...
- Mirtazapine for severe gastroparesis unresponsive to conventional prokinetic treatmentSung Wan Kim
Department of Psychiatry, Chonnam National Univ Hospital, 8 Hak Dong, Dong Ku, Kwangju 501 757, Republic of Korea
Psychosomatics 47:440-2. 2006..This is the first report to show that mirtazapine may be an effective alternative when gastroparesis is refractory to conventional measures...
- The novel NK1 receptor antagonist MK-0869 (L-754,030) and its water soluble phosphoryl prodrug, L-758,298, inhibit acute and delayed cisplatin-induced emesis in ferretsF D Tattersall
Department of Pharmacology, Merck, Sharp and Dohme, Neuroscience Research Centre, Harlow, Essex, UK
Neuropharmacology 39:652-63. 2000....
- Prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting by metoclopramide combined with dexamethasone: randomised double blind multicentre trialJan Wallenborn
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Leipzig, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
BMJ 333:324. 2006....
- Electrocardiographic findings of palonosetron in cancer patientsGuzin Gonullu
Medical Oncology Department, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
Support Care Cancer 20:1435-9. 2012..Several studies have shown that these agents cause certain ECG changes. We aimed to evaluate the ECG changes caused by palonosetron, one of the new 5-HT(3) antagonists...
- Risk factors for severe postoperative nausea and vomiting in a randomized trial of nitrous oxide-based vs nitrous oxide-free anaesthesiaK Leslie
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Grattan St, Parkville, Vic, 3050, Australia
Br J Anaesth 101:498-505. 2008..As risk stratification may aid in prophylaxis and treatment, we explored risk factors for severe PONV in patients enrolled in a large international, randomized controlled trial (the ENIGMA trial)...
- Ondansetron decreases vomiting associated with acute gastroenteritis: a randomized, controlled trialJohn J Reeves
Department of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, University Medical Center, Las Vegas, Nevada 89102, USA
Pediatrics 109:e62. 2002..The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of ondansetron for the treatment of vomiting associated with acute gastroenteritis in children...
- Recent advances, trends and economic considerations in the risk assessment, prevention and treatment of postoperative nausea and vomitingPeter Kranke
University Hospitals of Würzburg, Department of Anaesthesiology, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:3217-35. 2007..Treatment remains a most important pillar and there is evidence that the principles of combining antiemetics to prolong effects and improve protection can be similarly applied to treatment...
- The use of an anesthesia information management system for prediction of antiemetic rescue treatment at the postanesthesia care unitA Junger
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Justus Liebig University, Rudolf Buchheim Str 7, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Anesth Analg 92:1203-9. 2001..18; use of N(2)O, OR = 2.24; and IV anesthesia with propofol, OR = 0.40) are predictive. In implementing an equation for risk calculation into the AIMS, the individual risk of PONV can be calculated automatically...
- Drugs for preventing postoperative nausea and vomitingJ B Carlisle
NHS, Department of Anaesthetics, Torbay Hospital, Lawes Bridge, Torquay, Devon, UK EX6 7LU
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD004125. 2006..Drugs can prevent postoperative nausea and vomiting, but their relative efficacies and side effects have not been compared within one systematic review...
- The impact of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting on health-related quality of lifeEnzo Ballatori
Medical Statistics Unit, Department of Internal Medicine and Public Health, University of L Aquila, Via Pillino 2, 63030, Spinetoli AP, Italy
Support Care Cancer 15:179-85. 2007....
- The oral NK(1) antagonist, aprepitant, given with standard antiemetics provides protection against nausea and vomiting over multiple cycles of cisplatin-based chemotherapy: a combined analysis of two randomised, placebo-controlled phase III clinical trialR de Wit
Rotterdam Cancer Institute and Erasmus University Medical Center, PO Box 5201, 3008, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 40:403-10. 2004..alone (a 5-HT(3) antagonist plus dexamethasone), those who received aprepitant in addition to standard therapy had consistently better antiemetic protection that was well maintained over multiple cycles of highly emetogenic chemotherapy..
- American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline for antiemetics in oncology: update 2006Mark G Kris
American Society of Clinical Oncology, Alexandria, VA, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2932-47. 2006To update the 1999 American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline for antiemetics in oncology. UPDATE METHODOLOGY: The Update Committee completed a review and analysis of data published from 1998 thru February 2006...
- Efficacy and safety of casopitant mesylate, a neurokinin 1 (NK1)-receptor antagonist, in prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in patients receiving cisplatin-based highly emetogenic chemotherapy: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-contrSteven M Grunberg
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Lancet Oncol 10:549-58. 2009....
- Effectiveness and safety of ginger in the treatment of pregnancy-induced nausea and vomitingFrancesca Borrelli
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Obstet Gynecol 105:849-56. 2005Conventional antiemetics are burdened with the potential of teratogenic effects during the critical embryogenic period of pregnancy. Thus, a safe and effective medication would be a welcome addition to the therapeutic repertoire...
- Variations in the 5-hydroxytryptamine type 3B receptor gene as predictors of the efficacy of antiemetic treatment in cancer patientsPierre Benoit Tremblay
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology and Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Medical Center Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Oncol 21:2147-55. 2003..The 5-HT3B subunit seems to be most important for its functionality. We hypothesized that patients with genetic variations in the 5-HT3B receptor gene might respond differently to antiemetic treatment...
- Guidelines for antiemetic treatment of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: past, present, and future recommendationsKarin Jordan
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Oncology Hematology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Str 40, 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Oncologist 12:1143-50. 2007..With the correct use of antiemetics, CINV can be prevented in almost 70% to up to 80% of patients...
- Effectiveness of a single-day three-drug regimen of dexamethasone, palonosetron, and aprepitant for the prevention of acute and delayed nausea and vomiting caused by moderately emetogenic chemotherapySteven M Grunberg
Division of Hematology Oncology, Vermont Cancer Center, 89 Beaumont Avenue Given Bldg E214, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Support Care Cancer 17:589-94. 2009..The present study evaluated a more convenient single-day three-drug antiemetic regimen for patients receiving moderately emetogenic chemotherapy...
- Incidence of chemotherapy-induced nausea and emesis after modern antiemeticsSteven M Grunberg
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05401, USA
Cancer 100:2261-8. 2004..They also assessed whether physicians and nurses accurately recognized the incidence of acute and delayed CINV in their own practices...
- Clinical and economic burden of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting among patients with cancer in a hospital outpatient setting in the United StatesChris Craver
Premier, Inc, Charlotte, NC, USA
J Med Econ 14:87-98. 2011....
- The effect of an anatomically classified procedure on antiemetic administration in the postanesthesia care unitJoseph R Ruiz
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Anesth Analg 110:403-9. 2010..Our goal in this retrospective database study was to investigate the effect the type of surgical procedure (categorized and compared anatomically) has on antiemetic therapy within 2 h of admission to the postanesthesia care unit (PACU)...
- Managing nausea and vomiting after cancer treatments: patients still suffer unnecessarilyAlexander Molassiotis
Eur J Oncol Nurs 9:4-5. 2005
- Less postoperative nausea and vomiting after propofol + remifentanil versus propofol + fentanyl anaesthesia during plastic surgeryP Rama-Maceiras
Department of Anaesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario Juan Canalejo, 15006 A Coruna, Spain
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:305-11. 2005....
- Meclizine is an agonist ligand for mouse constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) and an inverse agonist for human CARWendong Huang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 18:2402-8. 2004..These results demonstrate that a single compound can induce opposite xenobiotic responses via orthologous receptors in rodents and humans...
- Comparison of prophylactic anti-emetic effects of ondansetron and dexamethasone in women undergoing day-case gynaecological laparoscopic surgeryM S Yuksek
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Int Med Res 31:481-8. 2003..In conclusion, ondansetron, but not dexamethasone, prevented PONV in the first 3 h after gynaecological laparoscopic surgery...
- Aprepitant (EMEND): the role of substance P in nausea and vomitingEric Prommer
UCLA School of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother 19:31-9. 2005..Its broad range of activity against a wide variety of central and peripheral emetogenic stimuli make it potentially useful in non-chemotherapy related nausea and vomiting...
- Exposure to a lithium-paired context elicits gaping in rats: A model of anticipatory nauseaCheryl L Limebeer
Department of Psychology, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 2C5
Physiol Behav 88:398-403. 2006....
- Antiemetic effectiveness and safety of aprepitant in patients with hematologic malignancy receiving multiday chemotherapyMayako Uchida
Department of Pharmacy, Kyushu University Hospital KUH, Fukuoka, Japan
Am J Health Syst Pharm 70:343-9. 2013..Antiemetic effectiveness and safety of aprepitant in patients with hematologic malignancy receiving multiday chemotherapy were evaluated...
- Placental transfer of ondansetron during early human pregnancyShing Shun N Siu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Clin Pharmacokinet 45:419-23. 2006..Ondansetron had been used in pregnant women when treatment with conventional antiemetics has failed; however, the safety and tolerability of this relatively new antiemetic drug during pregnancy is ..
- New antiemetic drugsF Roila
Medical Oncology Division, Silvestrini Hospital, Perugia, Italy
Ann Oncol 17:ii96-100. 2006..Important progress in the prophylaxis of chemotherapy-induced acute and delayed emesis has been achieved but some fundamental needs still remain that requires new, efficacious antiemetic drugs...
- The effects of manipulating expectations through placebo and nocebo administration on gastric tachyarrhythmia and motion-induced nauseaMax E Levine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Gastroenterology, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Psychosom Med 68:478-86. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of manipulating expectations through the administration of placebos and nocebos on nausea and gastric tachyarrhythmia provoked by a rotating optokinetic drum...
- The effects of antiemetics for children with vomiting due to acute, moderate gastroenteritisRachel C Vreeman
Children s Health Services Research, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, 410 W 10th St, HITS 1020, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:866-9. 2008
- Effect of acupuncture on nausea and/or vomiting during and after cesarean section in comparison with ondansetronAlaa M El-Deeb
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
J Anesth 25:698-703. 2011..This study compared the effect of electrical acustimulation with ondansetron for preventing intraoperative and postoperative emetic symptoms and improving patient satisfaction...
- Initial high anti-emetic efficacy of granisetron with dexamethasone is not maintained over repeated cyclesR de Wit
Department of Medical Oncology, Rotterdam Cancer Institute and University Hospital, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 77:1487-91. 1998....
- Chronic severe dystonia after single exposure to antiemeticsMelanie Walker
Department of Neurology, University of Washington, Seattle, 98104, USA
Am J Emerg Med 24:125-7. 2006
- Single dose of palonosetron plus dexamethasone to control nausea, vomiting and to warrant an adequate food intake in patients treated with highly emetogenic chemotherapy (HEC). Preliminary resultsV Lorusso
Oncology Unit, Vito Fazzi Hospital, Lecce, Italy
Support Care Cancer 17:1469-73. 2009..Moreover, we evaluated the amount of their food intake (FI) in the week following therapy, in order to measure any reduction of calories consumption related to Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV)...
- A randomized, double-blind study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of three different doses of palonosetron versus placebo in preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting over a 72-hour periodAnthony L Kovac
Department of Anesthesiology, University of KS Medical Center, Kansas City, KS, USA
Anesth Analg 107:439-44. 2008....
- A review of granisetron, 5-hydroxytryptamine3 receptor antagonists, and other antiemeticsEric S Hsu
Department of Anesthesiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Ther 17:476-86. 2010..Prophylactic and therapeutic combinations of antiemetics are recommended in patients at high risk of suffering from PONV and postdischarge nausea and vomiting...
- Antiemetic placebo: reduce adverse drug interactions between chemotherapeutic agents and antiemetic drugs in cancer patientsZhongyi Zhang
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Second Medical College, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
Med Hypotheses 70:551-5. 2008....
- [Postoperative nausea and vomiting--what's new in anti-emetic pharmacotherapy?]Jan Wallenborn
Klinik und Poliklinik fürAnästhesiologie und Intensivtherapieam UK Leipzig
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 44:296-304; quiz 305. 2009..the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) and show an efficacy comparable with those of common antiemetics with some evidence for superiority with regard to vomiting...
- Efficacy of orally disintegrating ondansetron in preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting after laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a randomised, double-blind placebo controlled studyV K Grover
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Anaesthesia 64:595-600. 2009..In conclusion, orally disintegrating ondansetron was as efficacious as intravenous ondansetron in the peri-operative phase and may be a viable option for prophylaxis of emesis in day care surgery...
- Evaluation of risk factors predictive of nausea and vomiting with current standard-of-care antiemetic treatment: analysis of phase 3 trial of aprepitant in patients receiving adriamycin-cyclophosphamide-based chemotherapyDavid G Warr
Princess Margaret Hospital, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5G 2M9, Canada
Support Care Cancer 19:807-13. 2011....
- Antiemetics in children receiving chemotherapy. MASCC/ESMO guideline update 2009Karin Jordan
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, University of Halle, Ernst Grube Strasse 40, Halle, Germany
Support Care Cancer 19:S37-42. 2011....
- Palonosetron for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in glioblastoma patients treated with temozolomide: a phase II studyAntonio Rozzi
Clinical Oncology Unit, Istituto Neurotraumatologico Italiano, Grottaferrata, Rome, Italy
Support Care Cancer 19:697-701. 2011..The aim of the present study was to investigate the efficacy of palonosetron for prevention of CINV-induced by adjuvant TMZ...
- Anti-emetic effect of ginger powder versus placebo as an add-on therapy in children and young adults receiving high emetogenic chemotherapyAnu Kochanujan Pillai
College of Nursing, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Pediatr Blood Cancer 56:234-8. 2011..Ginger has been used in postoperative and pregnancy-induced nausea and vomiting. Data on its utility in reducing CINV in children and young adults are lacking...
- Evaluation of risk factors predictive of nausea and vomiting with current standard-of-care antiemetic treatment: analysis of two phase III trials of aprepitant in patients receiving cisplatin-based chemotherapyPaul J Hesketh
Medical Oncology, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA 02135, USA
Support Care Cancer 18:1171-7. 2010....
- Current treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with gastroparesis: antiemetics, prokinetics, tricyclicsJeremy Stapleton
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 550 S Jackson Street, ACB 3rd Floor, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 19:57-72, vi. 2009..The purpose of this review is to provide an update on the use of antiemetics, prokinetics, and tricyclics for the treatment for nausea and vomiting associated with gastroparesis.
- Structure of the GABA-A Receptor Binding SitesCYNTHIA M CZAJKOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Structure of the GABA-A Receptor Binding SitesCYNTHIA M CZAJKOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Pharmacological modulation of synapses and cognition during HIV-1 neurotoxicityStanley A Thayer; Fiscal Year: 2013..and cognitive recovery, this result would caution against recreational use of cannabinoids or their use as antiemetics and appetite stimulants in patients with HAND...
- Treating Chemotherapy Induced Nausea with AcupressureSuzanne Dibble; Fiscal Year: 2003..All participants will continue to receive their Western medical care, but the added value of acupressure will be explored. ..
- PHARMACOLOGY OF LEUCOVORIN IN CANCER CHEMOTHERAPYDouglas Greene; Fiscal Year: 1980..protein binding of leucovorin and drug-drug interactions between leucovorin and methotrexate, antibiotics, antiemetics and other anti-neoplastic agents...
- Transmucosal oral diphenhydramine-rapid relief of nauseaEDWARD CONE; Fiscal Year: 2001..Although many antiemetics are available for use, nearly all are administered by oral ingestion with slow onset of effects...
- CANCER CENTER CALGB PARTICIPATIONHyman Muss; Fiscal Year: 2002..Committee, is currently developing a clinical protocol that will compare cost with symptom control for antiemetics. Dr...
- INTESTINAL ION TRANSPORT--SUBMUCOUS NEURONSAnnmarie Surprenant; Fiscal Year: 1992..These studies will help to identify submucosal neurones which participate in the pathophysiology of enterotoxins, such as cholera and salmonella...
- MECHANISMS OF CANNABINOID'S ANTIEMETIC ACTIONSNISSAR DARMANI; Fiscal Year: 2007..9- Tetrahydrocannabinol ((9-THC) and its synthetic analog, nabilone, are effective antiemetics against chemo- and radiotherapy, and patients who are protected during the immediate phase also respond well ..
- Outcomes After ACL Reconstruction: Femoral Nerve BlockBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..The methods learned and the model developed herein will be the basis of future studies funded through the R01 mechanism. ..
- Methylated Genes as Serum Biomarkers for Lung CancerMark Kris; Fiscal Year: 2008..Future studies will be required to establish this technique as a reliable diagnostic tool to guide the management of patients with lung cancer. ..
- MECHANISMS OF CANNABINOIDS ANTIEMETIC ACTIONSNISSAR DARMANI; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results will define an important role for the cannabinoid receptors in the vomiting circuits and may implicate an antiemetic role for the endogenous cannabinoids. ..
- Patient Expectations and Chemotherapy-Induced NauseaJoseph Roscoe; Fiscal Year: 2007..We seek to find out if interventions that increase patients' positive expectancy for nausea prevention can enhance the efficacy of the wristbands and contribute to a reduction in patient nausea. ..
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These actions may be relevant to develop new treatments for IBS. The studies will also provide further understanding of the potential of medications like medical marijuana on stomach function that may be relevant to appetite control. ..
- ALPHA-2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL IN IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Significance: This project will characterize pharmacogenetic mechanisms determining the response to clonidine through studies of candidate genes that control alpha2-adrenoreceptor function and norepinephrine transport in IBS. ..
- Comprehensive Database on Spirituality and HealthJeanette Ezzo; Fiscal Year: 2004..Phase II will focus on comprehensively populating the database with a significantly larger and more comprehensive set of research citations and related materials and migrating to a fully functional website, SpiritLit.com. ..
- Immune Reconstitution in Nonhuman PrimatesThomas Macvittie; Fiscal Year: 2005..Clearly the ability to colonize mucosal surfaces in the respiratory, intestinal, and genital tracts also require the orchestrated synthesis of fimbriae for adherence and flagella for motility. ..
- Ethanol and mesolimbic GABAergic neuronsJiang Hong Ye; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such results will provide valuable information on novel mechanisms underlying the addictive properties of alcohol and a firm scientific foundation for future neurobiological studies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of Amino Acid Therapy on Hot Flashes in Postmenopausal WomenThomas Guttuso; Fiscal Year: 2007..The applicant will also attend two didactic training seminars in complementary & alternative medicine at The Osher Institute at Harvard Medical School and at the Duke Center for Integrative Medicine. ..
- DIZZINESS IN OLDER PEOPLERobert Baloh; Fiscal Year: 2006..By continuing this longitudinal study of carefully studied older patients and controls, our multidisciplinary research team is in a good position to achieve our goals. ..
- Mechanisms and Therapeutics in Cancer Anorexia/CachexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..This K23 grant application will serve as a springboard to allow her to delve into the pathophysiology of this syndrome and to develop into an independent clinical investigator. ..
- C elegans:a model to study intestinal water-soluble vitamins transport in vivoHAMID SAID; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Status and Future of Acupuncture Research: 10 Years Post-NIH Consensus ConferLixing Lao; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed conference will do so. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Palliative Care Curriculum for 3rd-Year Medical StudentsCharles von Gunten; Fiscal Year: 2007..Data will be compared with residents who have not been through the course as well as with residents and faculty participating in another study of education. ..
- Sleep/Wake Contiuum in Lewy Body DiseaseDonald L Bliwise; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed work will also provide important clinical insights into disease correlates and disease course across the broad spectrum of Parkinsonism. ..
- Academic Palliative CareCharles von Gunten; Fiscal Year: 2008..All reentered investigators are seeking NCI funding and have the potential to become independent investigators. ..
- Evaluation of Atomoxetine for Cocaine Dependence: A Pilot TrialSharon Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will provide preliminary safety and efficacy data on the potential utility of atomoxetine and determine whether a larger-scale evaluation is warranted. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanism/regulation of human intestinal thiamin uptakeHAMID SAID; Fiscal Year: 2008..This should ultimately assist us in the designing of effective strategies to optimize thiamin body homeostasis in conditions associated with thiamin deficiency and sub-optimal levels. ..
- New Neural Targets for Opioid Use Disorders: Human StudiesSharon L Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, these studies, conducted in healthy humans, will provide fundamental information regarding the potential for this system as a target for development of new treatment agents for opioid use disorders. ..
- Evaluation of Novel Treatments for Stimulant DependenceSharon Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Economic Evaluations of Emerging Genomic Tests for Early Stage Breast CancerYA CHEN SHIH; Fiscal Year: 2008..To estimate the budgetary impact of the emerging pharmacogenomic prognostic and/or predictive tests [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Combining Antidepressants to Hasten Remission from DepressionPierre Blier; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Polysomnographic Assessment of Alternative TreatmentDonald Bliwise; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Diseases of the Vestibular SystemRobert Baloh; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Biologic therapy of Melanoma and Renal Cell CancerMichael Atkins; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Increased Access to Emergency Contraceptive PillsElizabeth Raymond; Fiscal Year: 2004..These secondary analyses should help explain the primary biologic outcomes and should be useful in the development of counseling messages and service protocols in the future. ..
- Enteric Nervous System 2003Keith Sharkey; Fiscal Year: 2003..From this picture there will be gaps - these are the challenges for the future. ..
- SPECIAL POPULATIONS NETWORK FOR CANCER CONTROLEdith Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Neuropeptide Y for Cancer-Associated AnorexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2003..These two pilot studies will allow us to lay the groundwork for such larger trials. Our ultimate goal is to help cancer patients who suffer from anorexia. ..
- CARDINAL BERNARDIN CANCER CENTER, LOYOLA UNIVERSITYPatrick Stiff; Fiscal Year: 2002..At the completion of this grant, the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center plans to be positioned to successfully apply for a P-30 Cancer Center Support Grant. ..
- ETHANOL EFFECTS ON GLYCINE RECEPTOR/CHANNEL FUNCTIONJiang Hong Ye; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- SUNDOWN SYNDROME IN A SKILLED NURSING FACILITYDonald Bliwise; Fiscal Year: 2002..These results will provide information on the mechanistic basis for sundowning in aged patients with dementing disorders. ..
- HEAD CONTROL MECHANISMS DURING VOLUNTARY TRUNK MOVEMENTSTimothy Hain; Fiscal Year: 2002..The comparison of intact and BVL populations will elucidate why some persons with BVL recover relatively high functional levels, and others do not. ..
- THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL OF KAPPA-OPIOIDS AGAINST COCAINESharon Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies are relevant to the treatment of cocaine abuse and may lead to the development of an effective pharmacotherapy, thereby, reducing the HIV and other health risks associated with cocaine abuse and intravenous drug abuse. ..
- Music Therapy for Cancer Patients at the End of LifeKristine Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Oral Care and Respiratory Pathogen ColonizationOzan Akca; Fiscal Year: 2004..Reducing respiratory pathogen colonization in the mouth could significantly reduce the morbidity and cost of VAP. ..
- Creatine: Is It a Body Builder for Cancer Patients?Aminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..obtain longitudinal toxicity and quality of life data on this same cohort of 50 patients and will make direct comparisons between treatment arms on toxicity incidence and severity and on maximal quality of life scores ..
- Neurobiol mechanism/acupuncture therapy/alcoholismJiang Hong Ye; Fiscal Year: 2004..This new knowledge will have a major impact on our understanding of how acupuncture works. The application of this knowledge is expected to improve the effectiveness of acupuncture treatment in alcohol addiction. ..
- Optotrack Motion Analysis SystemTimothy Hain; Fiscal Year: 2005..Motion analysis equipment is critical to all of our research faculty, and we have also recently added investigators to the department who need motion analysis capabilities. ..
- Factors in Drug DependenceSharon Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- The Effect of Sedation on Restorative SleepAvery Tung; Fiscal Year: 2005..Knowledge from this proposal will provide scientific insight into the relationships between anesthesia and sleep, and may lead to more effective clinical use of ICU sedatives. ..
- Biomarkers of Aging in the Bay Area Sleep CohortDonald Bliwise; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- BIFUNCTIONAL OPIOID/CCK LIGANDS FOR PAINFrank Porreca; Fiscal Year: 2006..This novel mechanism of action should yield therapeutic utility as well as provide an increased understanding of opioid-CCK interactions in normal and pathological pain states. ..
- Optical Intrinsic Signal Imaging of SeizureJames Chen; Fiscal Year: 2006..This project will be conducted at the UCLA School of Medicine under Drs. Toga and Wasterlain's guidance. Both mentors are internationally known authorities in their respective fields of research. ..
- MITOCHONDRIAL DNA ANALYSIS IN CYCLIC VOMITING SYNDROMERichard Boles; Fiscal Year: 2002..An extensive amount of clinical and laboratory data will be collected in all patients, allowing for the comparison of CVS sufferers with and without mtDNA mutations. ..
- Treatment of Older Patients with Early Breast CancerArash Naeim; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prenatal Corticosteroid Impact on HippocampusLIBOR VELISEK; Fiscal Year: 2004..The data of this proposal will be critical for determining long-term adverse effects of multiple course prenatal corticosteroid therapy and for the ameliorating these effects in the offspring. ..
- SEXUAL DIMORPHISM IN SEIZURE CONTROLJANA VELISKOVA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Rats of both sexes and various ages will be used. These studies may lead to the development of new antiepileptic treatments that take into the account sexual age-related differences. ..
- Opioid and Non-Opioid Actions of Dynorphin in PainFrank Porreca; Fiscal Year: 2005..As most clinical conditions of neuropathic pain are treated in the post-injury (i.e., maintenance) state, such information may allow approaches to limit or reverse the pathological actions of dynorphin in maintaining neuropathic pain. ..