Summary: Agents that act systemically to kill adult schistosomes.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of combined treatment with praziquantel and artemether on Schistosoma japonicum and Schistosoma mansoni in experimentally infected animalsJ Utzinger
Swiss Tropical Institute, P O Box, CH 4002, Basel, Switzerland
Acta Trop 80:9-18. 2001..We conclude that a combined treatment with praziquantel and artemether at the lower doses is safe and more effective than praziquantel alone, which forms a foundation for designing respective clinical trials in humans...
- Acute schistosomiasis outbreak in the metropolitan area of Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais: alert about the risk of unnoticed transmission increased by growing rural tourismMartin J Enk
Laboratorio de Educação em Saúde, Centro de Pesquisas Ren Rachou Fiocruz, 30140 002 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 98:745-50. 2003..Special attention is given to a multidisciplinary approach to the complex issue of disease control and prevention...
- Activity of 9-(S)-[3-hydroxy-2-(phosphonomethoxy)propyl]adenine against Schistosomiasis mansoni in miceSanaa Botros
Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Giza, Egypt
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:3853-8. 2003..mansoni oviposition. These preliminary findings extend the knowledge of the antiparasitic properties of (S)-HPMPA...
- Praziquantel: its use in control of schistosomiasis in sub-Saharan Africa and current research needsM J Doenhoff
School of Biology, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Parasitology 136:1825-35. 2009....
- Use of praziquantel for clinical treatment and morbidity control of schistosomiasis japonica in China: a review of 30 years' experienceMing Gang Chen
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai 200025, China
Acta Trop 96:168-76. 2005..Here, I review 30 years' of experiences gained with the use of praziquantel for clinical treatment and larger-scale control of schistosomiasis japonica in China...
- Drugs for the control of parasitic diseases: current status and development in schistosomiasisAlan Fenwick
Schistosomiasis Control Initiative, St Mary s Campus, Imperial College, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Trends Parasitol 19:509-15. 2003
- Schistosoma mansoni: in vitro schistosomicidal activity of essential oil of Baccharis trimera (less) DCRosimeire Nunes de Oliveira
Instituto de Biologia, Depto de Biologia Animal, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, UNICAMP, SP, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 132:135-43. 2012..It is the first time that the schistosomicidal activity has been reported for essential oil of B. trimera (less) DC...
- In vitro effects of artesunate on the survival of worm pairs and egg production of Schistosoma mansoniY Mitsui
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, 852 8523 Japan
J Helminthol 83:7-11. 2009..An inhibitory effect of ART on the daily egg output of paired female worms during in vitro cultivation was also observed...
- Sativa seeds against Schistosoma mansoni different stagesAzza M Mohamed
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, National Research Centre, Dokki, Egypt
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 100:205-11. 2005..Disturbing of such enzymes of adult worms using N. sativa seeds could in turn render the parasite vulnerable to damage by the host and may play a role in the antischistosomal potency of the used drug...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of oral artemether for the prevention of patent Schistosoma haematobium infectionsEliézer K N'goran
Laboratoire de Biologie Animale, Universite de Cocody, Abidjan, Cote d lvoire
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:24-32. 2003..These findings enlarge the scope and potential of artemether and further contribute to discussions of its role as an additional tool for integrated schistosomiasis control...
- Schistosomicidal and trypanocidal structure-activity relationships for (±)-licarin A and its (-)- and (+)-enantiomersA C Pereira
Grupo de Pesquisas em Produtos Naturais, Núcleo de Ciências Exatas e Tecnológicas, Universidade de Franca, Avenida Dr Armando Salles de Oliveira 2001, 14404 600 Franca, SP, Brazil
Phytochemistry 72:1424-30. 2011..73 μM. Therefore, these results suggest that (±)-licarin A (1) and (-)-licarin A (2) are promising compounds that could be used for the development of schistosomicidal and trypanocidal agents...
- Anthelmintic activity of the natural compound (+)-limonene epoxide against Schistosoma mansoniJosué de Moraes
Parasitology Laboratory, Butantan Institute, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Planta Med 79:253-8. 2013..Our results, along with the low toxicity of the (+)-limonene epoxide, suggest that this natural compound might be promising for the development of new schistosomicidal agents...
- Antiprotozoal, schistosomicidal, and antimicrobial activities of the essential oil from the leaves of Baccharis dracunculifoliaNatállia A Parreira
Laboratório de Produtos Naturais, Núcleo de Pesquisa em Ciências Exatas e Tecnológicas, Universidade de Franca, Av Dr Armando Salles de Oliveira 201, 14404 600 Franca, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chem Biodivers 7:993-1001. 2010..B. dracunculifolia essential oil was neither cytotoxic against Vero cells, nor active in the antimicrobial and antiplasmodial assays...
- In vitro schistosomicidal activity of balsaminol F and karavilagenin CCátia Ramalhete
Research Institute for Medicines and Pharmaceutical Sciences iMED UL, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
Planta Med 78:1912-7. 2012..A correlation between activity and the molecular volume/weight of compounds was also found...
- Efficacy of praziquantel against Schistosoma japonicum: field evaluation in an area with repeated chemotherapy compared with a newly identified endemic focus in Hunan, ChinaD B Yu
Hunan Institute of Parasitic Diseases, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Control on Schistosomiasis in Lake Regions, Huabanqiao Road, Yueyang, Hunan 414000, China
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 95:537-41. 2001..japonicum has not changed in the Dongting Lake region after more than 14 years of mass chemotherapy, and there is no evidence of tolerance or resistance of S. japonicum against praziquantel...
- Factors affecting infection or reinfection with Schistosoma haematobium in coastal Kenya: survival analysis during a nine-year, school-based treatment programSudtida A Satayathum
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and Center for Global Health and Diseases, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 7286, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:83-92. 2006..haematobium transmission in this setting. In large population-based control programs, treatment allocation strategies may need to be tailored to local conditions on a village-by-village basis...
- Treatment of urinary schistosomiasis: methodological issues and research needs identified through a Cochrane systematic reviewA Danso-Appiah
International Health Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Parasitology 136:1837-49. 2009..In this paper we discuss the implications of these findings with respect to public health and research methodology and propose priority research needs...
- In vitro anti-tumor promoting and anti-parasitic activities of the quassinoids from Eurycoma longifolia, a medicinal plant in Southeast AsiaSuratwadee Jiwajinda
Central Laboratory and Greenhouse Complex, Kasetsart University, Kamphaeng Saen Campus, Nakhon Pathom 73140, Thailand
J Ethnopharmacol 82:55-8. 2002..Thus it was suggested that E. longifolia possesses high medicinal values due to the occurrence of a variety of quassinoids...
- Experimental studies on early treatment of schistosomal infection with artemetherS H Xiao
Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, WHO Collaborating Center for Malaria, Schistosomiasis and Filariasis, Shanghai, China
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 26:306-18. 1995..On the basis of above-mentioned results, early treatment with Artemether could be recommended for field trial for controlling acute schistosomiasis, reducing infection rate and intensity of infection...
- Purification, kinetics and inhibition by antimonials of recombinant phosphofructokinase from Schistosoma mansoniJ G Su
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5332, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 81:171-8. 1996..The inhibition is at least partially antagonized by the sulfhydryl protective reagent, dithiothreitol...
- A double-blind field trial on the effects of artemether on Schistosoma japonicum infection in a highly endemic focus in southern ChinaYue Sheng Li
Hunan Institute of Parasitic Diseases, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Control on Schistosomiasis in Lake Region, Yueyang, Hunan 414000, China
Acta Trop 96:184-90. 2005..japonicum infection and results in high compliance. Hence it can be used as an additional tool for the control of schistosomiasis japonica in the lake regions of China...
- Effect of artemether against Schistosoma haematobium in experimentally infected hamstersS Xiao
Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Shanghai 200025, People s Republic of China
Int J Parasitol 30:1001-6. 2000..haematobium, especially the schistosomules. These results provide a basis for clinical trials in humans, for further assessment of the potential of artemether for schistosomiasis control...
- In vitro and in vivo studies of the effect of artemether on Schistosoma mansoniS H Xiao
Department of Medicine, Veterans Administration Medical Center Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 33:1557-62. 1989..Thus, artemether exhibited modest in vitro and in vivo activities against adult S. mansoni but was twofold more active against 2- to 3-week-old liver-stage parasites...
- Development of antischistosomal drugs in China, with particular consideration to praziquantel and the artemisininsShu Hua Xiao
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai 200025, China
Acta Trop 96:153-67. 2005..japonicum infections. The key findings are reviewed here, and emphasis is placed on how it stimulated research outside of China on other human schistosome species...
- Identification of oxadiazoles as new drug leads for the control of schistosomiasisAhmed A Sayed
Department of Biological Sciences, Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois 61790, USA
Nat Med 14:407-12. 2008..The compound was active against the three major schistosome species infecting humans. These protective effects exceed benchmark activity criteria set by the World Health Organization for lead compound development for schistosomiasis...
- Design, synthesis, and in vivo evaluation of oxamniquine methacrylate and acrylamide prodrugsRoberto Parise Filho
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Av Prof Lineu Prestes, 580, ZIP 05508 900 São Paulo, Brazil
Bioorg Med Chem 15:1229-36. 2007..Submitted to a preliminary in vivo biological evaluation, a similar oxamniquine profile was observed to the monomeric forms although an inadequate drug release may be responsible for the methacrylic copolymer failure...
- PraziquantelDonato Cioli
Institute of Cell Biology, C N R, 32 Via Ramarini, 00016 Monterotondo RM, Italy
Parasitol Res 90:S3-9. 2003..Recent findings of schistosome isolates with a decreased sensitivity to praziquantel are discussed in the broader context of a possible emergence of drug resistance...
- Oral artemether for prevention of Schistosoma mansoni infection: randomised controlled trialJ Utzinger
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Lancet 355:1320-5. 2000..However the application needs to be carefully assessed especially in view of the concern that it could select for resistant plasmodia...
- The prophylactic effects of artemether against Schistosoma japonicum infectionsS H Xiao
The Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Shanghai 200025, China
Parasitol Today 16:122-6. 2000..In this article, Xiao Shuhua, Mark Booth and Marcel Tanner review the results of laboratory tests and field trials of artemether against schistosomiasis in China...
- Morbidity control of schistosomiasis in ChinaJiang Qing-Wu
School of Public Health, Fudan University, 138 Yi Xue Yuan Lu, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Acta Trop 82:115-25. 2002..Therefore, the strategies in different (high, medium, and low) transmission areas during the maintenance stage were put forward in consideration of challenges in national control program in the future...
- Artemether treatment of prepatent Schistosoma japonicum induces resistance to reinfection in association with reduced pathologyPaul B Bartley
Molecular Parasitology Laboratory, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:929-35. 2008..There was also an anti-pathology effect observed in ART-treated mice that remained significant after reinfection...
- The role of 'passive chemotherapy' plus health education for schistosomiasis control in China during maintenance and consolidation phaseJia gang Guo
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai 200025, China
Acta Trop 96:177-83. 2005....
- The anti-schistosomal drug praziquantel is an adenosine antagonistF Angelucci
Dipartimento di Scienze Biochimiche A Rossi Fanelli and Istituto Pasteur Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti, Universita di Roma Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Roma, Italy
Parasitology 134:1215-21. 2007..If calcium channels were correlated with adenosine receptors also in schistosomes, as they are in mammals, this would support the hypothesis that PZQ-induced calcium influx may be correlated to adenosine receptor blockade...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of safety and efficacy of combined praziquantel and artemether treatment for acute schistosomiasis japonica in ChinaXun Ya Hou
Hunan Institute of Parasitic Diseases, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Control on Schistosomiasis in Lake Region, Yueyang, China
Bull World Health Organ 86:788-95. 2008..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of combining artemether (AM) and praziquantel (PZQ) in different regimens for treating acute schistosomiasis japonica...
- Lifting the burden of schistosomiasis--defining elements of infection-associated disease and the benefits of antiparasite treatmentCharles H King
J Infect Dis 196:653-5. 2007
- A new series of schistosomicide drugs, the alkylaminoalkanethiosulfuric acids, partially inhibit the activity of Schistosoma mansoni ATP diphosphohydrolaseMarcus Luiz Oliveira Penido
Departamento de Bioquímica ICB, Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
Eur J Pharmacol 570:10-7. 2007..Furthermore, sulfhydryl reagents protected potato apyrase activity. Therefore, it is possible that both soluble S. mansoni ATP diphosphohydrolase and membrane-associated isoforms are targets for the AAATs...
- The potential of artemether for the control of schistosomiasisJ Utzinger
Swiss Tropical Institute, P O Box, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Int J Parasitol 31:1549-62. 2001....
- Preventive effect of artemether in experimental animals infected with Schistosoma mansoniX Shuhua
Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Academy of Preventive Medicine, 207 Rui Jin Er Lu, Shanghai, PR China
Parasitol Int 49:19-24. 2000..Almost complete protection was also reached in parallel experiments with repeated infections carried out to mirror more closely the real situation of trickle infection...
- Mefloquine--an aminoalcohol with promising antischistosomal properties in miceJennifer Keiser
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e350. 2009..Here, we report that the antimalarial drug mefloquine possesses promising antischistosomal properties in mice...
- Recent investigations of artemether, a novel agent for the prevention of schistosomiasis japonica, mansoni and haematobiaShuhua Xiao
Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Shanghai, China
Acta Trop 82:175-81. 2002..In conclusion, artemether-integrated with other control strategies-has considerable potential for reducing the current burden of schistosomiasis in different epidemiological settings...
- [Antischistosomal activity of artemether in experimental Schistosomiasis mansoni]Susana Zevallos Lescano
Laboratório de Imunopatologia da Esquistossomose LIM 06, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 38:71-5. 2004..To evaluate the effect of intramuscular injection of artemether in mice experimentally infected with Schistosoma mansoni, at the time of infection, during schistosomula maturation and after the beginning of egg-laying...
- The efficacy of human schistosomicide treatment may depend on the rate of transmissionNelmar García
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Carabobo, Valencia, Venezuela
Parasitol Res 98:545-9. 2006..The differential cure rate evaluated by both techniques is probably due to the persistence of antibodies against antigens in different stages of the parasite...
- Murine schistosomiasis mansoni: process of blood coagulation at pre-patent, acute and chronic phases, and consequence of chemotherapeutic cure on the reversion of changesMaria G Carvalho
Departamento de Analises Clinicas e Toxicologicas, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 16:469-75. 2005..The present study provides unquestionable data on the development of hemostatic changes throughout the course of S. mansoni infection...
- Sequence and level of endogenous expression of calcium channel beta subunits in Schistosoma mansoni displaying different susceptibilities to praziquantelCristiana Valle
Institute of Cell Biology, C N R, 32 Via Ramarini, Monterotondo RM, Italy
Mol Biochem Parasitol 130:111-5. 2003..We analyzed Northern blots of various strains and various developmental stages, but we were unable to demonstrate major quantitative differences in the expression of the beta subunits...
- Effect of simultaneous and/or consecutive administration of the broad spectrum anthelmintic flubendazole together with praziquantel in experimental Schistosoma mansoni infectionSamia William
Parasitology Department, Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Imbaba, Guiza, Egypt
Arzneimittelforschung 53:532-7. 2003..9%), absence of immature stages of ova development, a higher level of dead ova in the oogram and the smallest granuloma mean diameter. These data were less conspicuous in mice given the simultaneous drug regimen...
- Schistosomiasis and the molecular biology of the male-female interaction of S. mansoniThomas Quack
Institute for Parasitology, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 119:365-72. 2006..A nearly unique phenomenon in nature is that a continuous pairing-contact is essential for the development of the reproductive organs of the female, an aspect for the possible design of novel control strategies...
- Efficacy of oxamniquine and praziquantel in the treatment of Schistosoma mansoni infection: a controlled trialM L A Ferrari
Department of Medical Clinics, School of Medicine, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Bull World Health Organ 81:190-6. 2003....
- Genetic analysis of praziquantel resistance in Schistosoma mansoniYou Sheng Liang
Jiangsu Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Meiyuan, Wuxi, Jiangsu, PR China
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 34:274-80. 2003..The resistant phenotype reappeared in the F2 progeny. It can thus be considered that the PZQ resistance behaves like a dominant trait...
- Cytochalasin D abolishes the schistosomicidal activity of praziquantelLivia Pica-Mattoccia
Institute of Cell Biology, National Research Council, Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Exp Parasitol 115:344-51. 2007..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that schistosome calcium channels are involved in the mechanism of action of praziquantel...
- Cervical spinal cord schistosomiasisLuciana C S Silva
Serviço de Doenças Infecciosas e Parasitárias do Departamento de Clínica Médica da Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 35:543-4. 2002
- Effect of Ferula assafoetida on experimental murine Schistosoma mansoni infectionNashwa I Ramadan
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 34:1077-94. 2004..The highest reduction in worm burden and egg counts was found with powder form of F. assafoetida (Gs III & IV) when compared to oil form (Gs I & II), as confirmed histopathologically and by ultrastructural profile alteration...
- High tissue egg burden mechanically impairing the tubal motility in genital schistosomiasis of the femaleHarald Hoffmann
Max von Pettenkofer Institute of Microbiology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Medical Center Grosshadern, Germany
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 82:970-1. 2003
- [Schistosomiasis mansoni simulating bladder neoplasia]Eduardo José Andrade Lopes
Departamento de Andrologia, Hospital Universitario Professor Edgard Santos, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Rua Altino Seberto de Barros 241, Ed Memorial Itaigara, Salas 405 406, 41850 010 Salvador, BA
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:287-8. 2006..Transurethral resection confirmed the diagnosis. The patient was clinically treated and cured with oxamniquine. The case presented in this work emphasizes that not all the tumors of bladder with microscopic hematuria are bladder cancers...
- Pseudoneoplastic lesion of the breast caused by Schistosoma mansoniCarlos Anselmo Lima
Department of Oncology, Hospital João Alves, Aracaju, SE, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:63-4. 2004..A case of a pseudoneoplastic lesion of the breast clinically and sonographically suggestive of a fibroadenoma is reported. Excisional biopsy revealed the nodule was an inflammatory process consequent to infection by Schistosoma mansoni...
- Effect of artemether administered alone or in combination with praziquantel to mice infected with Plasmodium berghei or Schistosoma mansoni or bothXiao Shu-Hua
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, P O Box, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Int J Parasitol 36:957-64. 2006....
- Efficacy of myrrh in the treatment of human Schistosomiasis mansoniRashida Barakat
High Institute of Public Health, Department of Tropical Health, Alexandria University, Egypt
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:365-7. 2005..mansoni eggs when tested 4 weeks post-treatment. The results of the current study raise serious doubts about the antischistosomal properties of Mirazid...
- Antischistosomal effects of praziquantel, its alkaline hydrolysis and sun decomposed products on experimentally S. mansoni infected albino mice. (A) Efficacy assessment based on clinicopathological findingsM I Suleiman
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 34:131-42. 2004..The GPT values of all groups were greater than the uninfected control and the difference was significant for the infected untreated, PZQ and the SD treated groups (p=0.05)...
- Resistance to re-infection after exposure to normal and attenuated schistosome parasites in the baboon modelT M Kariuki
Institute of Primate Research, National Museums of Kenya, Karen, Nairobi
Parasite Immunol 27:281-8. 2005..In particular, the long-term studies of re-infection after chemotherapy as well as the interaction between vaccination, chemotherapy and infection are highlighted...
- Towards control of schistosomiasis in sub-Saharan AfricaV R Southgate
Parasitology Division, Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories, Department of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, South Kensington, London SW7 5BD, UK
J Helminthol 79:181-5. 2005..It is suggested that an independent body such as the World Health Organization should determine whether mirazid should be used in the treatment of schistosomiasis...
- Schistosomiasis--a century searching for chemotherapeutic drugsGabriela Ribeiro-dos-Santos
Centro de Biotecnologia, Instituto Butantan, 05503 900, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Parasitol Res 99:505-21. 2006....
- Artemether as adjuvant therapy to praziquantel in murine Egyptian schistosomiasis mansoniM R Mahmoud
Pharmacology Department, Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Giza 12411, Egypt
J Parasitol 91:175-8. 2005..In conclusion, combined treatment of ART (4 and 6 wk PI) and PZQ resulted in >90% worm eradication and amelioration of Schistosoma mansoni eggs from the tissues, with minor histological changes in the liver...
- Schistosomiasis control: keep taking the tabletsPaul Hagan
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Joseph Black Building B4 09d, University of Glasgow, G12 8QQ, UK
Trends Parasitol 20:92-7. 2004..The search for alternatives to praziquantel and other tools for control of schistosomiasis must continue...
- Schistosomiasis and pregnancyJennifer F Friedman
Center for International Health Research, Rhode Island Hospital, 55 Claverick Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Trends Parasitol 23:159-64. 2007....
- SchistosomiasisAllen G P Ross
Medical University of the Americas, Charlestown, Nevis, West Indies
N Engl J Med 346:1212-20. 2002
- Immunohistopathological and biochemical changes in Schistosoma mansoni-infected mice treated with artemetherSanaa S Botros
Pharmacology Department, Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, P O Box 30, Imbaba, 12411 Giza, Egypt
J Infect 55:470-7. 2007..To investigate immune mechanisms possibly involved in the amelioration of histopathological changes in livers of Schistosoma mansoni-infected mice treated with artemether (ART), including liver functions and apoptotic changes...
- Efficacy of artesunate in the treatment of urinary schistosomiasis, in an endemic community in NigeriaP C Inyang-Etoh
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Faculty of Laboratory and Allied Health Sciences, University of Calabar, P M B 1115, Calabar, Nigeria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 98:491-9. 2004....
- Antischistosomal and liver protective effects of Curcuma longa extract in Schistosoma mansoni infected miceAfaf K El-Ansary
Medicinal Chemistry Department, National Research Centre, Dokki, Cairo, Egypt
Indian J Exp Biol 45:791-801. 2007..Moreover, it lowered pyruvate kinase level, while PZQ-treatment induced more elevation of this enzyme. PZQ was more effective in lowering worm burden while C. longa extract was more potent in reducing egg count...
- Effect of artemether on Schistosoma mansoni: dose-efficacy relationship, and changes in worm morphology and histopathologyShu Hua Xiao
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai 200025, China
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 22:148-53. 2004..To investigate the effects of artemether on Schistosoma mansoni harboured in mice, with particular consideration on single dose-efficacy relationship, hepatic shift and artemether-induced alterations in worm morphology and histopathology...
- The antischistosomal efficacies of artesunate-sulfamethoxypyrazine-pyrimethamine and artemether-lumefantrine administered as treatment for uncomplicated, Plasmodium falciparum malariaI Adam
Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum, P O Box 102, Khartoum, Sudan
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:39-44. 2008..These results indicate that AS-SMP and AT-LU are currently very effective treatments not only for uncomplicated, P. falciparum malaria but also for S. mansoni infections...
- Oxamniquine, praziquantel and lovastatin association in the experimental Schistosomiasis mansoniNeusa Araujo
Laboratorio de Esquistossomose, Instituto René Rachou, FIOCRUZ, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 103:450-4. 2008....
- Modulation of the antioxidant defence in different developmental stages of Schistosoma mansoni by praziquantel and artemetherE A El-Bassiouni
Medical Research Institute, Alexandria University, Egypt
Br J Biomed Sci 64:168-74. 2007..mansoni. The results suggest that the mechanism of schistosomicidal action of PZQ is probably not substantially dependent on oxidative stress or oxidative killing...
- Altered response of strain of Schistosoma mansoni to oxamniquine and praziquantelPatrícia Ivana Pires Bonesso-Sabadini
Departamento de Patologia Clinica, Faculdade de Ciências Médica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, 13083 970, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:381-5. 2002..4 mg/kg PZQ. The results show the tolerance of the Ouh strain to a dose of 100 mg with both drugs and they appoint the need for a dose review during the follow up of the oviposition and in monitoring phenomena in the field...
- Spinal cord schistosomiasis in children: analysis of seven casesJosé Albino da Paz
Infant Neurological Unit, Instituto da Criança, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 60:224-30. 2002..Magnetic resonance image, although it does not enable an etiological diagnosis, helped to confirm the form and spinal cord level of the lesion...
- SchistosomiasisEli Schwartz
N Engl J Med 347:766-8; author reply 766-8. 2002
- Praziquantel efficacy against schistosomiasis mansoni in schoolchildren in north-west EthiopiaGetinet Degu
Department of Biochemistry, Gondar College of Medical Sciences, P O Box 196, Gondar, Ethiopia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:444-5. 2002..The egg reduction rate was 97% and the cure rate was 94%, as assessed by a single Kato smear. No evidence for praziquantel resistance was detected...
- Mediation of the schistosomicidal effect of praziquantel through nitric oxideElsayed M Ammar
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Arzneimittelforschung 52:844-8. 2002..In conclusion, NO is possibly involved in the antibilharzial effect of praziquantel and administration of L-arginine with praziquantel produces beneficial antibilharzial effect...
- Praziquantel binds Schistosoma mansoni adult worm actinHatem Tallima
Zoology Department, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, Cairo 12613, Egypt
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:570-5. 2007..However, pre-incubation with bovine actin did not impair the effect of PZQ on adult worms in vitro. The study represents an attempt to understand how PZQ distributes across schistosome outer lipid bilayers...
- Schistosomiasis mansoni in Bananal (State of São Paulo, Brazil): I. Efficiency of diagnostic and treatment proceduresHoracio Manuel Santana Teles
Laboratorio de Malacologia, Coordenação dos Laboratórios de Referência e Desenvolvimento Científico, Superintendencia de Controle de Endemias, Sao Paulo, SP, 01027 000, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:181-6. 2002..In addition, resistance to therapy and low sensitivity of fecal examinations, can not be ignored. Moderate to heavy worm burdens, frequently associated with hepatomegaly elsewhere, produced no serious cases in Bananal...
- Antibody isotype responses to egg antigens in human chronic Schistosomiasis mansoni before and after treatmentYara M Gomes
Departamento de Imunologia, Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, FIOCRUZ, Recife, PE, 50670 420, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:111-2. 2002..Our results suggest that schistosomiasis treatment would not interfere with this sort of immune response...
- Treatment of human acute schistosomiasis with oxamniquine induces an increase in interferon-gamma response to Schistosoma mansoni antigensJoelma R de Souza
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universitaria, 52020 020 Recife, PE, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:225-8. 2007..The oxamniquine treatment of acute schistosomiasis patients is followed by an improvement of a Th1 response in vitro. If this response has a protective aspect is unknown, and some investigations need to be realized...
- Efficacy of oxamniquine and praziquantel in school children from two Schistosoma mansoni endemic areasF W Thiong'o
Division of Vector Borne Diseases, Ministry of Health, Nairobi, Kenya
East Afr Med J 79:29-33. 2002..To determine the relative susceptibility of Schistosoma mansoni infections to treatment with the oxamniquine (OXA) and praziquantel (PZQ)...
- [Schistosomiasis of the spinal cord: analysis of 80 cases]Alberto Jorge Pereira Peregrino
Divisão de Neurologia, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 60:603-8. 2002..We emphasize the importance of a precocious treatment to avoid irreversible deficits such as paraplegia or sexual impotence...
- Schistosoma mansoni: lack of correlation between praziquantel-induced intra-worm calcium influx and parasite deathLivia Pica-Mattoccia
Institute of Cell Biology, National Research Council, 32 Via Ramarini, 00015 Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Exp Parasitol 119:332-5. 2008..These results suggest that calcium accumulation by itself, at least as measured in whole parasites maintained in vitro, may not represent an exhaustive explanation for the schistosomicidal effects of PZQ...
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of schistosomal myeloradiculopathyJosé Roberto Lambertucci
Clínica de Doenças Infecciosas e Parasitárias, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Alfredo Balena 190, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 40:574-81. 2007..Early diagnosis and treatment with steroids and schistosomicides provide a cure for most patients, whilst delayed treatment can result in irreversible physical disabilities ..
- Inhibition of in vitro RNA synthesis by hycanthone, oxamniquine and praziquantelL J Wong
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Lowell, Massachusetts 01854
Experientia 46:461-4. 1990The schistosomicides, hycanthone, oxamniquine and praziquantel, were found to inhibit the in vitro RNA synthesis using isolated hamster liver nuclei...
- Praziquantel: mechanisms of action, resistance and new derivatives for schistosomiasisMichael J Doenhoff
School of Biology, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, UK
Curr Opin Infect Dis 21:659-67. 2008....
- Acute schistosomiasis mansoni: revisited and reconsideredJosé Roberto Lambertucci
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 105:422-35. 2010..For symptomatic hospitalised patients, treatment with steroids and schistosomicides is recommended. Treatment is curative in those timely diagnosed.
- A new approach to the treatment of acute schistosomiasisJ R Lambertucci
Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Department of Internal Medicine, Belo Horizonte MG, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 84:23-30. 1989Clinical and experimental evidence indicates that steroids act synergistically with schistosomicides in the treatment of Katayama syndrome...
- Pseudotumoral form of neuroschistosomiasis: report of three casesAntonio S Andrade Filho
Service of Clinical Neurology, HUPES UFBA, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 11:435-8. 2007..Biopsy of the lesions confirmed this diagnosis in one case. After specific treatment with schistosomicides and corticosteroids, clinical, radiological and laboratorial improvement was observed.
- Acute schistosomiasis: clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic featuresJ R Lambertucci
Department of Internal Medicine, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 35:399-404. 1993..Clinical and experimental evidence indicate that steroids act synergistically with schistosomicides in the treatment of Katayama syndrome...
- Projecting the long-term impact of school- or community-based mass-treatment interventions for control of Schistosoma infectionXiaoxia Wang
Department of Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1903. 2012..Variations in drug schedules involving increased population coverage and/or treatment frequency are now undergoing field trials. However, their relative effectiveness in long-term infection suppression is presently unknown...
- [Experiment of praziquantel rectal administration in treatment of schistosomiasis in mice]Yi Yang
Veterinary Medicine College, Shenyang Agricultural University, Shenyang 110866, China
Zhongguo Xue Xi Chong Bing Fang Zhi Za Zhi 23:674-6, 686. 2011..To evaluate the efficiency of rectal administration of praziquantel in the treatment of schistosomiasis in mice...
- Schistosomicidal and antifecundity effects of oral treatment of synthetic endoperoxide N-89Toshie Taniguchi
Section of Environmental Parasitology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Parasitol Int 60:231-6. 2011..As N-89 is less toxic to mammalian host animals, it is a possible drug candidate against schistosomiasis...
- Is there a reduced sensitivity of dihydroartemisinin against praziquantel-resistant Schistosoma japonicum?Wei Wang
Jiangsu Institute of Parasitic Diseases, 117 Yangxiang, Meiyuan, Wuxi City, Jiangsu Province, 214064, People s Republic of China
Parasitol Res 113:223-8. 2014..1% in mice infected with the praziquantel-resistant isolate (both P values > 0.05). It is concluded that the sensitivity of artemisinin derivative dihydroartemisinin does not reduce in praziquantel-resistant S. japonicum...
- In vitro effect of schistosomicidal drugs on hepatic arylsulfatase B from the schistosoma-infected mouseMahmoud Balbaa
Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Qatar, Doha, Qatar, Egypt
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 21:81-5. 2006..These results indicate that some schistosomicidal drugs may reverse the alteration of the catalytic properties of the enzyme in schistosomiasis...
- Pharmacokinetics of oltipraz in diabetic rats with liver cirrhosisC Y Ahn
College of Pharmacy and Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Br J Pharmacol 156:1019-28. 2009..We have studied the influence of diabetes mellitus on pharmacokinetics of oltipraz and on expression of hepatic, CYP1A, 2B1/2, 2C11, 2D and 3A in rats with experimental liver cirrhosis...
- Treatment and re-treatment strategies for schistosomiasis control in different epidemiological settings: a review of 10 years' experiencesPascal Magnussen
Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory, Jaegersborg Alle 1 D, DK 2920 Charlottenlund, Denmark
Acta Trop 86:243-54. 2003....
- Identification by high-throughput screening of inhibitors of Schistosoma mansoni NAD(+) catabolizing enzymeIsabelle Kuhn
Laboratoire de Conception et Application de Molecules Bioactives, UMR 7199 CNRS, Universite de Strasbourg, Faculte de Pharmacie, 74 route du Rhin, 67400 Illkirch, France
Bioorg Med Chem 18:7900-10. 2010..Docking studies indicated that these inhibitors mimic the binding mode of the enzyme substrate NAD(+) and suggested the pharmacophoric features required for SmNACE active site recognition...
- [Progress in development of new antischistosomal drugs in recent years]Shu Hua Xiao
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai 200025, China
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 28:218-25. 2010..In this paper the recent development of new antischistosomal drugs such as oxadiazole-2-oxides, mefloquine, etc. has been reviewed, and the process of their development and anti-schistosomal properties recounted...
- Schistosomiasis: an underestimated problem in industrialized countries?Christoph F R Hatz
J Travel Med 12:1-2. 2005
- Synthesis of some new benzothiazole derivatives as potential antimicrobial and antiparasitic agentsM A Mahran
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alexandria, Egypt
Pharmazie 58:527-30. 2003..In addition, antimicrobial screening of all of the prepared new compounds was performed against Staphylococcus aeurus ATCC 6538, Escherichia coli ATCC 8735 and Candida albicans ATCC 10321 but non of them was active...
- POTENTIAL TARGETS FOR NEW ANTISCHISTOSOMAL AGENTSRobert Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments may eventually lead to new chemotherapeutic approaches to treating schistosomiasis. ..
- Function and pharmacology of schistosome multidrug resistance proteinsRobert M Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to use several approaches to determine the properties of one such schistosome molecule, P-glycoprotein, which, in vertebrates, is also involved in resistance to a broad array of drugs. ..
- DETERMINANTS OF HEPATITIS C & E MORBIDITY IN EGYPTGeorge Strickland; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- DETERMINANTS OF HEPATITIS C & E MORBIDITY IN EGYPTGeorge Strickland; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- URINARY SCHISTOSOMIASIS: INFECTION AND DISEASECharles King; Fiscal Year: 2004..This information, combined with epidemiological modeling of control strategies, will allow accelerated synthesis of the next generation of control programs. ..
- High Throughput Assay for Screening Compounds(RMI)James McKerrow; Fiscal Year: 2005..Computational and informatics capability is in place to acquire, store and cross-reference this data, and provide access to the scientific community through an open-source website. ..
- HUMAN POPULATION GROWTH IMPACT ON S. HAEMATOBIUMCharles King; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Host Protein Degradation by Schistosome ParasitesJames McKerrow; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Targeting Cysteine Proteases: Antiparasitic ChemotherapyJames McKerrow; Fiscal Year: 2008..No Abstract Provided. ..