Genomes and Genes
Summary: Substances obtained from various species of microorganisms that are, alone or in combination with other agents, of use in treating various forms of tuberculosis; most of these agents are merely bacteriostatic, induce resistance in the organisms, and may be toxic.
Publications185 found, 100 shown here
- Treatment of isoniazid-resistant tuberculosis with isoniazid, rifampin, ethambutol, and pyrazinamide for 6 monthsC M Nolan
Public Health, Seattle and King County, TB Control Program, Seattle, Washington, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:952-8. 2002..In 1992 the Seattle-King County Department of Public Health Tuberculosis Clinic began to treat patients with isoniazid-resistant tuberculosis with a regimen of isoniazid, rifampin, pyrazinamide, and ethambutol daily for 6 months...
- Relapse and acquired rifampin resistance in HIV-infected patients with tuberculosis treated with rifampin- or rifabutin-based regimens in New York City, 1997-2000Jiehui Li
Bureau of Tuberculosis Control, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY 10007, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:83-91. 2005..The relationship between rifamycin use and either relapse or treatment failure with acquired rifampin resistance (ARR) among human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients with tuberculosis (TB) is not well understood...
- Detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from diverse countries by a commercial line probe assay as an initial indicator of multidrug resistanceH Traore
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 4:481-4. 2000..This approach must therefore be validated in each local situation...
- Evaluation of the INNO-LiPA Rif. TB assay, a reverse hybridization assay for the simultaneous detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex and its resistance to rifampinR Rossau
Innogenetics NV, Ghent, Belgium
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 41:2093-8. 1997..The INNO-LiPA Rif. TB is therefore a reliable and widely applicable assay and a valuable tool for routine diagnostic use, given its simplicity and rapid performance...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis and rifampin resistance, United KingdomI Ching Sam
Health Protection Agency, National Mycobacterium Reference Unit, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and the London School of Medicine, 2 Newark Street, London, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 12:752-9. 2006..1%, 95.0%, 99.6%, 92.7%, and 99.7%, respectively. The assay enabled earlier diagnosis of MTBC and rifampin resistance (15.2 days) compared with culture-based techniques (30.7 days)...
- Difficulties in anticoagulation management during coadministration of warfarin and rifampinC R Lee
Division of Pharmacotherapy, School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Pharmacotherapy 21:1240-6. 2001..Extensive changes in warfarin dosage are required to attain and maintain a therapeutic INR during the initiation, maintenance, and discontinuation of rifampin...
- Evaluation of a colorimetric assay based on 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide (MTT) for rapid detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisG Abate
Department of Mycobacteriology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2:1011-6. 1998....
- Rifampin is a selective, pleiotropic inducer of drug metabolism genes in human hepatocytes: studies with cDNA and oligonucleotide expression arraysJ M Rae
Department of Pharmacology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 299:849-57. 2001..Clinicians and researchers who use and study rifampin and other drugs that induce drug metabolism should be alert to the possibility of multiple effects...
- Biological cost of rifampin resistance from the perspective of Staphylococcus aureusThomas A Wichelhaus
Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3381-5. 2002..The restriction to distinct mutations that confer rifampin resistance in vivo, as demonstrated here, appears to be determined by the Darwinian fitness of the organisms...
- Use of genotype MTBDR assay for molecular detection of rifampin and isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical strains isolated in ItalyPaolo Miotto
Emerging Bacterial Pathogens, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 44:2485-91. 2006..The MTBDR correctly identified the two cases of MDR-TB included in the panel. These results show that the MTBDR test is useful in the detection and management of tuberculosis when MDR disease is suspected...
- Rapid indication of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis from liquid cultures using FASTPlaqueTB-RIF, a manual phage-based testH Albert
Biotec Laboratories Ltd, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:523-8. 2002..A Mycobacteriology Reference Laboratory in Johannesburg, South Africa...
- Clinically significant interactions with drugs used in the treatment of tuberculosisW W Yew
Tuberculosis and Chest Unit, Grantham Hospital, Aberdeen, Hong Kong, China
Drug Saf 25:111-33. 2002..With advancement of knowledge and expertise, it is hoped that therapeutic drug monitoring as a new paradigm of care can enable better management of these drug interactions...
- A commercial line probe assay for the rapid detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysisMaureen Morgan
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, USA
BMC Infect Dis 5:62. 2005..The INNO-LiPA Rif. TB (LiPA) is a commercial line probe assay designed to rapidly detect rifampicin resistance, a marker of MDR-TB. Although LiPA has shown promising results, its overall accuracy has not been systematically evaluated...
- Characterization of rpoB mutations in rifampin-resistant clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Kuwait and DubaiSuhail Ahmad
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, P O Box 24923, 13110, Safat, Kuwait
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 44:245-52. 2002....
- Characterization of rpoB mutations in rifampin-resistant clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from Turkey by DNA sequencing and line probe assayCengiz Cavusoglu
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, School of Medicine, Ege University 35100, Izmir, Turkey
J Clin Microbiol 40:4435-8. 2002..6%). These results demonstrate that the line probe assay kit may be useful for the rapid diagnosis of rifampin-resistant tuberculosis...
- Mutations in rpoB gene and rifabutin susceptibility of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains isolated in AustraliaV Sintchenko
Centre for Infectious Diseases, Westmead Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Pathology 31:257-60. 1999..tuberculosis predict rifabutin susceptibility for MDRTB. Use of the LiPA for RIF and rifabutin resistance may facilitate the rapid response required to limit the extent and severity of MDRTB transmission and infection...
- Effect of rifampicin on the pharmacokinetics of imatinib mesylate (Gleevec, STI571) in healthy subjectsAnn E Bolton
Novartis Pharma AG, Basel, Switzerland
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 53:102-6. 2004..This study was carried out to investigate the influence of CYP3A induction with rifampicin on imatinib (Gleevec) exposure...
- Rapid detection of resistance against rifampicin in isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from Brazilian patients using a reverse-phase hybridization assayMartha M de Oliveira
Laboratory of Molecular Biology and Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Avenida Brasil 4365, Manguinhos 21045 900, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Microbiol Methods 53:335-42. 2003....
- A newly identified 191A/C mutation in the Rv2629 gene that was significantly associated with rifampin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisQingzhong Wang
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Institute of Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University and Shanghai Pneumology Hospital, Shanghai, PRC
J Proteome Res 6:4564-71. 2007..tb Rv2629, while it was not restored by the wild type gene. These results indicate that the 191A/C mutation of the Rv2629 gene may be associated with RIF resistance...
- Utility of an in-house mycobacteriophage-based assay for rapid detection of rifampin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolatesN Gali
Servei de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, and Departament de Genètica i Microbiologia, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 41:2647-9. 2003..The sensitivity, specificity, and overall accuracy of the assay were 100%. This test is rapid to perform and suitable for widespread implementation...
- Treatment outcomes of patients with HIV and tuberculosisPayam Nahid
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, 5K1, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:1199-206. 2007..The optimal length of tuberculosis treatment in patients coinfected with HIV is unknown...
- Influence of multidrug resistance on tuberculosis treatment outcomes with standardized regimensAnton Mak
Respiratory Epidemiology and Clinical Research Unit, Montreal Chest Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:306-12. 2008..Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) poses a major challenge to global TB control. We analyzed the association between estimated prevalence of initial or acquired MDR-TB, and treatment outcomes reported nationally...
- Low-cost rapid detection of rifampicin resistant tuberculosis using bacteriophage in Kampala, UgandaHamidou Traore
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 6:1. 2007..tuberculosis isolates for resistance to rifampicin. The purpose of this study was to investigate the performance of this technology in Kampala, Uganda...
- Use of molecular methods to identify the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex (MTBC) and other mycobacterial species and to detect rifampin resistance in MTBC isolates following growth detection with the BACTEC MGIT 960 systemAkos Somoskovi
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:2822-6. 2003..In conclusion, the biomass obtained in MGIT at the time of growth positivity in the 960 system is sufficient for use in all three molecular tests, and this approach can reduce the turnaround time for reporting results...
- Rifapentine and isoniazid once a week versus rifampicin and isoniazid twice a week for treatment of drug-susceptible pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV-negative patients: a randomised clinical trialDebra Benator
Lancet 360:528-34. 2002..Rifapentine has a long half-life in serum, which suggests a possible treatment once a week for tuberculosis. We aimed to compare rifapentine and isoniazid once a week with rifampicin and isoniazid twice a week...
- Rifampin levels, interferon-gamma release and outcome in complicated pulmonary tuberculosisHelen McIlleron
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Cape Town, K 45 Old Main Buliding, Groote Schuur Hospital, Observatory, Cape Town, Western Cape 7925, South Africa
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 87:557-64. 2007..tuberculosis may influence treatment outcome. The data support the idea to identify persons at risk of a poor treatment outcome by monitoring of the in vitro response to tuberculosis antigens...
- Elevated gatifloxacin and reduced rifampicin concentrations in a single-dose interaction study amongst healthy volunteersHelen McIlleron
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital, University of Cape Town, South Africa
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1398-401. 2007..Pharmacokinetic drug-drug interactions were investigated between the fluoroquinolone gatifloxacin and a fixed dose combination (FDC) of rifampicin, isoniazid and pyrazinamide...
- Simple, phage-based (FASTPplaque) technology to determine rifampicin resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis directly from sputumH Albert
Biotec Laboratories Ltd, c o National Health Laboratory Service, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 8:1114-9. 2004..Cape Town, South Africa...
- The early bactericidal activities of rifampin and rifapentine in pulmonary tuberculosisFrik A Sirgel
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, St George s Hospital Medical School, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:128-35. 2005..Comparison of the early bactericidal activity (EBA) of rifapentine and its pharmacokinetics with those of rifampin to determine the cause of poor clinical response and regrowth between doses, leading to rifamycin monoresistance at relapse...
- Evaluation of the line probe assay (LiPA) for rapid detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisPontus Jureen
Department of Bacteriology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Solna 17182, Sweden
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 84:311-6. 2004..The LiPA correctly identified the M. tuberculosis complex in all samples. The high accuracy and simplicity of LiPA makes it a very promising method for the early identification of rifampicin resistance in M. tuberculosis...
- Rifampin and rifabutin drug interactions: an updateChristopher K Finch
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, University of Tennessee, 26 S Dunlap, Suite 210, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:985-92. 2002..New rifampin and rifabutin interactions will be discovered with further investigations...
- Comparison of three molecular assays for rapid detection of rifampin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisS A Watterson
Public Health Laboratory Service Mycobacterium Reference Unit, Department of Microbiology, King s College School of Medicine and Dentistry, King s College Hospital Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 36:1969-73. 1998..7 and 100%), respectively. For the 21 isolates submitted by clinicians, both assays correlated 100% with routine testing...
- Role of rifampin for treatment of orthopedic implant-related staphylococcal infections: a randomized controlled trial. Foreign-Body Infection (FBI) Study GroupW Zimmerli
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals, Basel, Switzerland
JAMA 279:1537-41. 1998..Rifampin-containing regimens are able to cure staphylococcal implant-related infections based on in vitro and in vivo observations. However, this evidence has not been proven by a controlled clinical trial...
- Description of new mutations in the rpoB gene in rifampicin-resistant Neisseria meningitidis selected in vitro in a stepwise mannerOliver Nolte
Hygiene Institute, Dept of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Med Microbiol 52:1077-81. 2003..Transformation of a PCR-amplified subgenic rpoB fragment harbouring the mutated site into a susceptible strain demonstrated the resistance-conferring mechanism...
- Which contacts of patients with meningococcal disease carry the pathogenic strain of Neisseria meningitidis? A population based studyB E Kristiansen
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Tromso, 9037 Tromso, Norway
BMJ 317:621-5. 1998..To determine the prevalence of the pathogenic strain of Neisseria meningitidis in contacts of patients with meningococcal disease, and to determine which contact groups are likely to be carriers and warrant chemoprophylaxis...
- Effect of rifampin, a potent inducer of drug-metabolizing enzymes, on the pharmacokinetics of raltegravirLarissa A Wenning
Merck and Co, Inc, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:2852-6. 2009..Coadministration of rifampin and raltegravir is not contraindicated; however, caution should be used, since raltegravir trough concentrations in the presence of rifampin are likely to be at the lower limit of clinical experience...
- Rapid screening of Mycobacterium tuberculosis for susceptibility to rifampicin and streptomycinR McNerney
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 4:69-75. 2000..To investigate rapid detection of drug-resistant tuberculosis using the genotypic Inno-LiPA Rif TB assay and a novel, low-cost, bacteriophage-based susceptibility assay...
- In-house phage amplification assay is a sound alternative for detecting rifampin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in low-resource settingsNorberto Simboli
INEI ANLIS Carlos G Malbrán, Av Velez Sarsfield 563, 1281 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:425-7. 2005..2% predictive value for resistance in a test of 129 isolates from a hot spot area of multidrug-resistant M. tuberculosis. The applicability of the test was demonstrated in the routine work flow of a low-resource reference laboratory...
- Decreased bioavailability of rifampin and other antituberculosis drugs in patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus diseasePrema Gurumurthy
HIV AIDS Division, Tuberculosis Research Centre Indian Council of Medical Research, Mayor V R Ramanathan Rd, Chetput, Chennai 600 031, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4473-5. 2004..HIV and HIV-tuberculosis patients who have diarrhea and cryptosporidial infection exhibit decreased bioavailability of antituberculosis drugs...
- Testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis susceptibility to ethambutol, isoniazid, rifampin, and streptomycin by using EtestA Wanger
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical School, Houston 77030, USA
J Clin Microbiol 34:1672-6. 1996..The Etest method appears to be an alternative method for testing the susceptibility of M. tuberculosis isolates to the four most commonly used therapeutic agents...
- Treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: evidence and controversiesJ A Caminero
Hospital de Gran Canaria Dr Negrin, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:829-37. 2006..individualised regimens. The evidence and controversies regarding each of the above questions are analysed with the aim of facilitating decision making in the treatment of these complex patients...
- Pharmacokinetics of rifapentine at 600, 900, and 1,200 mg during once-weekly tuberculosis therapyMarc Weiner
Department of Medicine, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 169:1191-7. 2004..The present pharmacokinetic study supports further trials to determine the optimal rifapentine dose for treatment of tuberculosis...
- Weekly moxifloxacin and rifapentine is more active than the denver regimen in murine tuberculosisIan M Rosenthal
Center for Tuberculosis Research, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1457-62. 2005..The substitution of moxifloxacin, a new 8-methoxyfluoroquinolone, for isoniazid and an increase in the dose of rifapentine could augment the activity of once-weekly regimens...
- Rifampicin resistance in Neisseria meningitidis: evidence from a study of sibling strains, description of new mutations and notes on population geneticsO Nolte
Hygiene Institute, Department of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 39:747-55. 1997..This finding is discussed with respect to recent studies that indicate a more panmictic population structure within particular serogroups of N. meningitidis...
- Evaluation of phage assay for rapid phenotypic detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisSergio Luis Yzquierdo
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri, La Habana, Cuba
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 5:11. 2006..Phage assay have been reported as a rapid useful tools for antimicrobial susceptibility testing. The aim of this study was to apply the Phage assay for rapid detection of resistance on Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in Cuba...
- Emergence of rifampicin resistance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in tuberculosis wardsJun ichiro Sekiguchi
International Medical Center of Japan, 1 21 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8655, Japan
J Infect Chemother 12:47-50. 2006..An emergence of RFP-resistant MRSAs in tuberculosis wards in Japan was strongly suggested...
- Low plasma concentrations of rifampicin in tuberculosis patients in IndonesiaR van Crevel
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:497-502. 2002..High drug levels may lead to increased toxicity, while low drug levels may predispose to treatment failure and relapse...
- Rapid alternative methods for detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisDihadenys Lemus
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri, La Habana, Cuba
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:130-3. 2004..To study the performance of three rapid low cost methods for the detection of rifampicin resistance...
- Cytochrome p450 3A4 messenger ribonucleic acid induction by rifampin in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells: correlation with alprazolam pharmacokineticsIsabella Gashaw
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Charite University Medical Center, Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 74:448-57. 2003..We also wanted to identify whether genetically determined high CYP3A5 expression is associated with increased alprazolam clearance...
- Intravenous cyclosporine-rifampin interaction in a pediatric bone marrow transplant recipientElyse J Zelunka
Division of Hematology Oncology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 22:387-90. 2002....
- Enzyme induction in the elderly: effect of rifampin on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of propafenoneK Dilger
Dr Margarete Fischer Bosch Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Stuttgart, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 67:512-20. 2000..Propafenone was chosen as a model drug because of its complex metabolism that permits the simultaneous in vivo assessment of induction of phase 1 and phase 2 pathways...
- Correlation of mutations detected by INNO-LiPA with levels of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisK Srivastava
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Central JALMA Institute for Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases ICMR, Agra, India
Indian J Med Res 120:100-5. 2004..tuberculosis and correlate these mutations with levels of rifampicin resistance for assessing their clinical relevance...
- Another step on the path to better TB therapiesAndrew Vernon
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:1-2. 2002
- Rapid determination of rifampin resistance in clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis by real-time PCRTanil Kocagoz
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, 06100 Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
J Clin Microbiol 43:6015-9. 2005..7% and a specificity of 100%. Real-time PCR is a very rapid method, and it can be especially helpful for the reporting of resistant clinical isolates in a very short period of time...
- Determination of in vitro synergy when three antimicrobial agents are combined against Mycobacterium tuberculosisY Bhusal
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Graduate School and Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara Nakagami, Okinawa, Japan
Int J Antimicrob Agents 26:292-7. 2005..tuberculosis when combined with rifampicin and isoniazid...
- Direct application of the INNO-LiPA Rif.TB line-probe assay for rapid identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex strains and detection of rifampin resistance in 360 smear-positive respiratory specimens from an area of high incidence of multidrugMiguel Viveiros
Unidade de Micobacterias do Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Lisboa, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 43:4880-4. 2005..7%; the sensitivity and specificity were 100.0% and 96.9%, respectively, for the detection of RIF resistance. This assay has the potential to provide rapid information that is essential for the effective management of MDR-TB...
- [Trends in tuberculosis treatment duration]Nicolas Veziris
Service de Pneumologie, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Centre National de Référence de la Résistance des Mycobactéries aux Antituberculeux, Faculte de Medecine Pierre et Marie Curie, Universite Paris 6
Presse Med 35:1758-64. 2006..New antituberculosis drugs under development allow us to envision further reduction in the duration of treatment of both drug-resistant and drug-sensitive tuberculosis...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis spoligotypes and drug susceptibility pattern of isolates from tuberculosis patients in peri-urban Kampala, UgandaBenon B Asiimwe
Department of Medical Microbiology, Makerere University Medical School, Kampala, Republic of Uganda
BMC Infect Dis 8:101. 2008..This study determined the predominant strain lineages that cause TB in Rubaga division, Kampala, Uganda, and the prevalence of resistance to key anti-tuberculosis drugs in this community...
- [Considerations about the efficiency of treatment regimens with fixed Rifampicin-Isoniazid combinations in pulmonary tuberculosis]Ioana Munteanu
Institutul de Pneumologie, Marius Nasta Bucureşti
Pneumologia 53:23-5. 2004....
- Bacteriophage-based assays for the rapid detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a meta-analysisMadhukar Pai
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, 140, Warren Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Infect 51:175-87. 2005..To summarize, using meta-analysis, the accuracy of bacteriophage-based assays for the detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Factors associated with treatment success for tuberculosis patients: a single center's experience in TurkeyFahrettin Talay
Department of Chest Diseases, Izzet Baysal Faculty of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Bolu, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 61:25-30. 2008..We conclude that application of Directly Observed Therapy may increase treatment success in all patients, especially patients who have risk factors for a low treatment success rate...
- Diffuse pachymeningitis due to Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a case report and review of the literatureThana Khawcharoenporn
University of Hawaii John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Hawaii Med J 67:100-3. 2008..Successful treatment with antituberculous drugs and corticosteroid was observed without complications. Literature review on characteristics, diagnoses and treatment of central nervous system tuberculosis was also performed...
- E-test: an alternative method for susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosisSinem Akcali
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Celal Bayar University Medical Faculty, Manisa, Turkey
Med Princ Pract 14:264-7. 2005..The purpose of this study was to compare the agar proportion method with the E-test method for susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Daily dosing of rifapentine cures tuberculosis in three months or less in the murine modelIan M Rosenthal
Center for Tuberculosis Research, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Med 4:e344. 2007..Rifapentine is a long-lived rifamycin derivative currently recommended only in once-weekly continuation-phase regimens. Moxifloxacin is an 8-methoxyfluoroquinolone currently used in second-line regimens...
- Activity of ketoconazole against Mycobacterium tuberculosis in vitro and in the mouse modelSean T Byrne
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Med Microbiol 56:1047-51. 2007..The lowest numbers of bacilli in lungs were found in mice treated with KTC, PZA and RIF. Further investigation is necessary to determine the role of KTC in the treatment of TB...
- Comparison of two commercially available DNA line probe assays for detection of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosisJohanna Mäkinen
Mycobacterial Reference Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, Kiinamyllynkatu 13, FI 20520 Turku, Finland
J Clin Microbiol 44:350-2. 2006..tuberculosis isolates obtained from patients suspected of having multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, but the GenoType MTBDR assay has the advantage of being able to detect resistance to both INH and RIF simultaneously...
- Impact of country of origin on drug-resistant tuberculosis among foreign-born persons in British ColumbiaA Moniruzzaman
Department of Health Care and Epidemiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:844-50. 2006..Provincial tuberculosis (TB) services, British Columbia, Canada...
- Comparison between molecular epidemiology, geographical regions and drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains isolated from Iranian and Afghan patientsRashid Ramazanzadeh
National Research Institute of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Chemotherapy 52:316-20. 2006..All M. tuberculosis isolates belonging to the Beijing family were associated with a resistance pattern. MDR was much higher in bacteria isolated from Afghan TB patients residing in Iran...
- Population genetics study of isoniazid resistance mutations and evolution of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosisManzour Hernando Hazbón
Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2640-9. 2006..Our results suggest that isoniazid resistance and the evolution of multidrug-resistant strains are complex dynamic processes that may be influenced by interactions between genes and drug-resistant phenotypes...
- Combination chemotherapy with the nitroimidazopyran PA-824 and first-line drugs in a murine model of tuberculosisEric Nuermberger
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2621-5. 2006....
- [Mechanisms of action of and resistance to rifampicin and isoniazid in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: new information on old friends]A I De La Iglesia
Catedra de Microbiologia, Virologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Santa Fe 3100 2000 Rosario, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 38:97-109. 2006..Other mutations causing resistance to isoniazid have been mapped to ndh, a gene encoding the NADH dehydrogenase...
- Evaluation of the rpoB macroarray assay to detect rifampin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Beijing, ChinaI Mokrousov
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, St Petersburg Pasteur Institute, 14 Mira Street, 197101, St Petersburg, Russia
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:703-10. 2006..The RIFO method is relatively simple to perform and allows straightforward interpretation of results; consequently, it can be used in clinical diagnostic laboratories as a fast complement to phenotypic methods...
- Validation of a rapid method for detection of M. tuberculosis resistance to INH and RMP in Lima, PeruIsabel N de Kantor
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:707; author reply 707-8. 2006
- [Modern diagnosis of tuberculosis]Chantal Truffot-Pernot
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie Hygiene, Centre National de Référence Mycobactéries et Résistance des Mycobactéries aux Antituberculeux, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris
Presse Med 35:1739-46. 2006..Immunologic tests that measure the interferon gamma produced by sensitized lymphocytes are promising tools for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis...
- Absence of an association between Mycobacterium tuberculosis genotype and clinical features in children with tuberculous meningitisFreda Maree
Desmond Tutu TB Centre, Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:13-8. 2007..We investigated mycobacterial genotypic diversity in children with TBM and analyzed the relationship among genotype, clinical presentation and outcome...
- [Centrofacial granulomatous inflammation]J Maetzke
Klinik für Dermatologie und Allergologie, Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Maienweg 12, 89081 Ulm
Hautarzt 58:976-8. 2007
- Location of persisting mycobacteria in a Guinea pig model of tuberculosis revealed by r207910Anne J Lenaerts
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3338-45. 2007..These results show that this acellular rim may, therefore, be a primary location of persisting bacilli withstanding drug treatment...
- Drug resistance in tuberculosisG J Ebrahim
J Trop Pediatr 53:147-9. 2007
- Comparison of a conventional antimicrobial susceptibility assay to an oligonucleotide chip system for detection of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolatesHeekyung Park
Institute for Genomic Medicine, GENEIN Co, Ltd, Busan, Korea
J Clin Microbiol 44:1619-24. 2006..The diagnostic oligonucleotide chip with mutation-specific probes is a reliable and useful tool for the rapid and accurate diagnosis of resistance against rifampin and isoniazid in M. tuberculosis isolates...
- The bactericidal activity of moxifloxacin in patients with pulmonary tuberculosisRoly D Gosling
Department of Medical Microbiology, Royal Free and University London College Medical Schools, Royal Free Campus, London, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:1342-5. 2003..Moxifloxacin has an activity similar to rifampin in human subjects with pulmonary tuberculosis, suggesting that it should undergo further assessment as part of a short course regimen for the treatment of drug-susceptible tuberculosis...
- In vitro activity of C-8-methoxy fluoroquinolones against mycobacteria when combined with anti-tuberculosis agentsTao Lu
Public Health Research Institute, 225 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:1025-8. 2003..To examine the effect of first-line and second-line anti-tuberculosis agents on the ability of fluoroquinolones to kill mycobacteria...
- Poly (DL-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticle-based inhalable sustained drug delivery system for experimental tuberculosisRajesh Pandey
Department of Biochemistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160 012, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:981-6. 2003..e. rifampicin, isoniazid and pyrazinamide encapsulated in poly (DL-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles suitable for nebulization...
- Relative versus absolute noncontagiousness of respiratory tuberculosis on treatmentRichard Long
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 24:831-8. 2003..To assess the validity of current estimates of the noncontagiousness of sputum smear-positive respiratory tuberculosis (TB) on treatment...
- Typing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains resistant to rifampicin and isoniazid by molecular biological methodsO I Skotnikova
Moscow Tuberculosis Control Center, Moscow Public Health Committee
Bull Exp Biol Med 136:273-5. 2003..Twenty-five combinations of mutations were detected. Some differences in the type distribution of detected mutations were found. The use of biochips is the most perspective method for determining the type of mutation...
- Effect of drug resistance on the generation of secondary cases of tuberculosisMarcos Burgos
Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine, Department of Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
J Infect Dis 188:1878-84. 2003..Here, we assess the relative pathogenicity of drug-resistant and drug-susceptible strains, in a human population...
- [Septic loosening of a Wagner revision stem provoked by Mycobacterium tuberculosis]A Schuh
Orthopädische Klinik Rummelsberg, Schwarzenbruck
Orthopade 32:1151-4. 2003..Until today the patient exhibits no signs of recurrence of the tuberculous infection...
- [Clinical forms of new cases of tuberculosis at Kaunas Romainiai Tuberculosis Hospital in 1998-2001]Albinas Naudziunas
Clinic of Internal Medicine, Kaunas University of Medicine, A Mickeviciaus 9, 44307 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 40:42-5. 2004..Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis did not exceed 1%. We suggest that so few cases of multi-drug resistant tuberculosis are due to implementation of WHO treatment standards...
- [Tuberculous pneumonia in children]Dalia Steponaviciene
Department of Children Pulmonology, Kaunas IInd Clinical Hospital, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 39:225-31. 2003..Two clinical cases of children ill with TB pneumonia are discussed as well. We hope that this article and two clinical cases would remind pediatricians and family doctors to be aware of still possible TB in childhood...
- Treatment outcome of tuberculosis among Saudi nationals: role of drug resistance and complianceY Samman
Department of Respirology, King Khalid National Guard Hospital, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:289-94. 2003..In this study, we assessed the impact of this and other factors on the treatment outcome of tuberculosis among Saudi nationals...
- Bactericidal and sterilizing activities of antituberculosis drugs during the first 14 daysAmina Jindani
Clinical Trials Program, International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:1348-54. 2003..In analyses of combined drug regimens only, ethambutol had an effect (p = 0.01) in reverse direction to that of rifampin, suggesting it antagonized the sterilizing activity of other drugs...
- Chemotherapeutic activity against murine tuberculosis of once weekly administered drugs (isoniazid and rifampicin) encapsulated in liposomesSumeet Labana
Department of Biochemistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, 160 012, Chandigarh, India
Int J Antimicrob Agents 20:301-4. 2002..392) and RIF (-0.243). Chemotherapeutic efficacy of once weekly-administered liposomal drugs for 6 weeks reduced the mycobacterial load significantly in lungs, liver and spleen of infected mice compared with untreated animals...
- Novel Saccharomyces cerevisiae screen identifies WR99210 analogues that inhibit Mycobacterium tuberculosis dihydrofolate reductaseA Lissa B Gerum
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7730, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3362-9. 2002..tuberculosis DHFR. These studies suggest that compounds of this class are excellent potential leads for further development of drugs effective against M. tuberculosis...
- Results of a 12-month regimen for drug-resistant pulmonary tuberculosisC Perez-Guzman
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Mexico DF, Mexico
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:1102-9. 2002..Several therapeutic regimens for drug-resistant tuberculosis have been suggested, most of them with a total duration of 18-24 months...
- Influence of anti-tuberculosis drug resistance on the treatment outcome of pulmonary tuberculosis patients receiving DOTS in Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaR Singla
Department of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases, Sahary Hospital, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:585-91. 2002....
- Use of receiver operating characteristic curves to assess the performance of a microdilution assay for determination of drug susceptibility of clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosisJ Luna-Herrera
Departamento de Inmunologia, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Escuela Nacional de Ciencias Biologicas, Carpio y Plan de Ayala, Colonia Santo Tomás 11340, Mexico City, Mexico
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:21-7. 2003..The ROC curve analysis is a robust statistical approach for evaluating the performance of new quantitative methods for determination of drug sensitivity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates...
- Use of molecular techniques to distinguish between treatment failure and exogenous reinfection with Mycobacterium tuberculosisAnnika Kruuner
Institute of Microbiology, Tartu University, Estonia
Clin Infect Dis 35:146-55. 2002..Exogenous reinfection with drug-resistant M. tuberculosis may be misinterpreted as the emergence of drug resistance if molecular testing techniques are not used...
- [Mycobacterium tuberculosis resistance to antitubercular agents in Antananarivo in 2000]O Ratsirahonana
Laboratoire des Mycobactéries, Institut Pasteur de Madagascar, BP 1274 101 Antananarivo Madagascar
Arch Inst Pasteur Madagascar 68:44-7. 2002..1% for primary MDR and 4% for acquired MDR. These results show that ten years after the new NTP implementation, only a few MDR strains are circulating in Antananarivo, which suggests that NTP has been effective...
- Subcutaneous nanoparticle-based antitubercular chemotherapy in an experimental modelRajesh Pandey
Department of Biochemistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160 012, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:266-8. 2004..Hence, injectable PLG nanoparticles hold promise for increasing drug bioavailability and reducing dosing frequency for better management of tuberculosis...
- Tuberculosis in Thai prisons: magnitude, transmission and drug susceptibilityS Sretrirutchai
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Thailand
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:208-14. 2002..Prison inmates are at high risk for developing tuberculosis because of the high prevalence of HIV infection...
- Chemotherapy of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infections in mice with a combination of isoniazid and rifampicin entrapped in Poly (DL-lactide-co-glycolide) microparticlesM Dutt
Department of Biochemistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160 012, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 47:829-35. 2001..These results suggest that PLG microparticles offer an improvement for tuberculosis chemotherapy over the conventional treatment...
- Rapid direct detection of multiple rifampin and isoniazid resistance mutations in Mycobacterium tuberculosis in respiratory samples by real-time PCRMercedes Marin
Servicio de Microbiologia Clinica y Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, C Dr Esquerdo 46, 28007 Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4293-300. 2004..tuberculosis bacteria. This real-time PCR design is an adequate method for the specific and rapid detection of RIF and INH resistance in smear-positive clinical respiratory samples...
- Defining Moxifloxacin as a First-line TB DrugEric Nuermberger; Fiscal Year: 2008..Relevance: Results of these studies will help to define optimal treatment regimens for TB that can be used to design new clinical trials or, in some cases, directly applied to clinical practice. ..
- DENVER COMMUNITY PROGRAM FOR CLINICAL RESEARCH ON AIDS (David Cohn; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- NEW ENGLAND PROGRAM FOR AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS-PROACT (CPCGerald Friedland; Fiscal Year: 2006..Among the three ProACT sites we will enroll and follow 200 patients on study protocols at any given time over the course of this grant. ..
- Role of non-tuberculous mycobacteria in lung diseaseJason Stout; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our findings will also assist clinicians in predicting which patients with NTM isolated from the respiratory tract will have NTM pulmonary disease. ..
- Attachment of Oral Actinobacillus to EpitheliumDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2008..The longterm goal of this application is to use this information to identify targets for therapeutic agents that can interfere with attachment of Aa to oral tissues and thus prevent colonization leading to LAP. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Safety Pharmacokinetics & Efficacy of Artemether & Lumefantrine in Pregnant WomenMark Mirochnick; Fiscal Year: 2008..The data from this planned study will provide the information needed to ensure that pregnant women receive the appropriate doses of these anti-malaria drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Antiretroviral Pharmacology/Lactating Mother/InfantsMark Mirochnick; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information is needed for the safe and effective use of antiretrovirals in nursing women, and will pioneer a novel approach to the study of breast milk drug transfer. ..
- Maternal and Infant Health and HAART Outcomes in the Mashi PMTCT Study, BotswanaShahin Lockman; Fiscal Year: 2010..placebo exposure;and pediatric neurodevelopmental and growth outcomes, by infant feeding modality and antiretroviral exposure history. ..
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Research Group Annual MtgDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- Discovering New Anti-Tuberculosis DrugsMICHAEL GEORGE THOMAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will be accomplished by combining genetic and molecular engineering of the tuberactinomycin biosynthetic pathways, along with semi-synthetic chemistry. ..
- Effectiveness of Alcohol Interventions Among TB Patients in Tomsk, RussiaSonya Shin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, we have a diverse interdisciplinary team that has been able to formulate an integrated biosocial and culturally-appropriate approach to treating AUDs in this population. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Annual MeetingDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- Training in Translational Lung ResearchNeil Schluger; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- TB Clinical Research: Training the Next GenerationCarol Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 2008..Her work with the Duke Center for Human Genetics is an example of translational research she hopes to foster within her mycobacteria research program. ..
- RESPIRATORY DISEASES/BSI STUDYShahin Lockman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Combination Antibotics as a Treatment for Chlamydia-Induced Reactive ArthritisJohn Carter; Fiscal Year: 2007..Chronic Chlamydia infections have also been linked to trachoma, tubal infertility, coronary artery disease, asthma, certain types of cervical cancer, and possibly other diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IVIVC MODEL FOR RENAL DRUG CLEARANCEThomas Dowling; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Psychosocial Intervention in HIV-Affected Children in HaitiJoia Mukherjee; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lastly, a group intervention for HIV affected children will be piloted to generate preliminary data for a larger, R01 study designed to prevent poor outcomes in HlV-affected children. ..
- Novel Single Cell Reporter Gene AssayYevgenya Akselband; Fiscal Year: 2005..This assay will facilitate drug discovery by permitting rapid screening of combinatorial chemistry or natural product libraries. ..
- Functional Genomics Study and Database for TuberculosisLi Fu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Research results will advance molecular biological knowledge and benefit public health management in tuberculosis. ..
- Evaluation of MDR-TB Treatment Strategies in Lima, PeruSonya Shin; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Re-Engineering the Clinical Research EnterpriseCarol Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 2004..Create an interoperable, secure web-based electronic data capture system for the TBTC, that will interface with public health surveillance systems...
- Human Metabolism of Anti-Abuse MedicationsDavid Moody; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate these studies will provide the evidence to support clinical studies to more thoroughly test our hypothesis. ..
- Microbial Markers for Periodontal Disease in ChildrenDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Nanoparticle delivery system for antiturberculosis drugLeonid Heifets; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..