Genomes and Genes
Summary: Agents which lower the blood glucose level.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications277 found, 100 shown here
- Metformin associated with lower cancer mortality in type 2 diabetes: ZODIAC-16Gijs W D Landman
Internal Medicine, Isala Clinics, Zwolle, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 33:322-6. 2010..Several studies have suggested an association between specific diabetes treatment and cancer mortality. We studied the association between metformin use and cancer mortality in a prospectively followed cohort...
- Medical management of hyperglycaemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy: a consensus statement from the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of DiabetesD M Nathan
Diabetes Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Diabetologia 52:17-30. 2009..In this revision, we focus on the new classes of medications that now have more clinical data and experience...
- Effect of treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus on pregnancy outcomesCaroline A Crowther
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
N Engl J Med 352:2477-86. 2005..We conducted a randomized clinical trial to determine whether treatment of women with gestational diabetes mellitus reduced the risk of perinatal complications...
- Effect of noninsulin antidiabetic drugs added to metformin therapy on glycemic control, weight gain, and hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetesOlivia J Phung
University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy, Storrs, and Drug Information Center, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut 06102 5037, USA
JAMA 303:1410-8. 2010..Metformin is the recommended initial drug therapy for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). However, the optimal second-line drug when metformin monotherapy fails is unclear...
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metforminWilliam C Knowler
Diabetes Prevention Program Coordinating Center, Biostatistics Center, George Washington University, 6110 Executive Blvd, Suite 750, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
N Engl J Med 346:393-403. 2002..We hypothesized that modifying these factors with a lifestyle-intervention program or the administration of metformin would prevent or delay the development of diabetes...
- Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in mechanism of metformin actionG Zhou
Department of Molecular Endocrinology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
J Clin Invest 108:1167-74. 2001..Activation of AMPK provides a unified explanation for the pleiotropic beneficial effects of this drug; these results also suggest that alternative means of modulating AMPK should be useful for the treatment of metabolic disorders...
- The incretin system: glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists and dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors in type 2 diabetesDaniel J Drucker
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lancet 368:1696-705. 2006..However, long-term clinical studies are needed to determine the benefits of targeting the incretin axis for the treatment of type 2 diabetes...
- Metformin and reduced risk of cancer in diabetic patientsJosie M M Evans
Division of Community Health Sciences, Section of Public Health, University of Dundee, Dundee DD2 4BF
BMJ 330:1304-5. 2005
- Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetesHertzel C Gerstein
N Engl J Med 358:2545-59. 2008....
- Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetesPeter Gaede
Steno Diabetes Center, Copenhagen, Denmark
N Engl J Med 358:580-91. 2008..We evaluated whether this approach would have an effect on the rates of death from any cause and from cardiovascular causes...
- Metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis in mice independently of the LKB1/AMPK pathway via a decrease in hepatic energy stateMarc Foretz
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8104, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 120:2355-69. 2010..In conclusion, we demonstrate that metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis in an LKB1- and AMPK-independent manner via a decrease in hepatic energy state...
- Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetesAnushka Patel
N Engl J Med 358:2560-72. 2008..In patients with type 2 diabetes, the effects of intensive glucose control on vascular outcomes remain uncertain...
- The kinase LKB1 mediates glucose homeostasis in liver and therapeutic effects of metforminReuben J Shaw
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 310:1642-6. 2005..Finally, we show that metformin, one of the most widely prescribed type 2 diabetes therapeutics, requires LKB1 in the liver to lower blood glucose levels...
- 2-year efficacy and safety of linagliptin compared with glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on metformin: a randomised, double-blind, non-inferiority trialBaptist Gallwitz
Department of Medicine IV, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Lancet 380:475-83. 2012..We aimed to compare a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor (linagliptin) against a commonly used sulphonylurea (glimepiride)...
- Diabetes and cancer: a consensus reportEdward Giovannucci
Department of Nutrition, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1674-85. 2010..In addition, key unanswered questions for future research are posed...
- FGF-21 as a novel metabolic regulatorAlexei Kharitonenkov
Lilly Research Laboratories, Division of Eli Lilly and Co, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1627-35. 2005..Thus, we conclude that FGF-21, which we have identified as a novel metabolic factor, exhibits the therapeutic characteristics necessary for an effective treatment of diabetes...
- 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetesRury R Holman
Diabetes Trials Unit, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 359:1577-89. 2008..We conducted post-trial monitoring to determine whether this improved glucose control persisted and whether such therapy had a long-term effect on macrovascular outcomes...
- Medical management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy: a consensus statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of DiabetesDavid M Nathan
Diabetes Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 32:193-203. 2009..In this revision, we focus on the new classes of medications that now have more clinical data and experience...
- The influence of glucose-lowering therapies on cancer risk in type 2 diabetesC J Currie
School of Medicine, Cardiff University, The Pharma Research Centre, Cardiff Medicentre, Cardiff, CF14 4UJ, UK
Diabetologia 52:1766-77. 2009..We examined the risk of development of solid tumours in relation to treatment with oral agents, human insulin and insulin analogues...
- Insulin degludec: four times lower pharmacodynamic variability than insulin glargine under steady-state conditions in type 1 diabetesT Heise
Profil Institut für Stoffwechselforschung GmbH, Neuss, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:859-64. 2012..Insulin degludec (IDeg) is a new-generation basal insulin with an ultra-long duration of action. We compared the pharmacodynamic (PD) variability of IDeg and insulin glargine (IGlar) under steady-state conditions...
- Metformin and pathologic complete responses to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in diabetic patients with breast cancerSao Jiralerspong
Department of Breast Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030 4009, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:3297-302. 2009..Our purpose was to determine whether metformin use was associated with a change in pathologic complete response (pCR) rates in diabetic patients with breast cancer receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy...
- Dose-ranging effects of canagliflozin, a sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor, as add-on to metformin in subjects with type 2 diabetesJulio Rosenstock
Dallas Diabetes and Endocrine Center at Medical City, Dallas, Texas, USA
Diabetes Care 35:1232-8. 2012..To evaluate the effects of canagliflozin, a sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor, in type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled with metformin monotherapy...
- Pancreatitis, pancreatic, and thyroid cancer with glucagon-like peptide-1-based therapiesMichael Elashoff
Larry L Hillblom Islet Research Center at David Geffen School of Medicine and Department of Biomathematics, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 7073, USA
Gastroenterology 141:150-6. 2011..There are also concerns that dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors could cause cancer, given their effects on immune function...
- Pioglitazone and risk of bladder cancer among diabetic patients in France: a population-based cohort studyA Neumann
Caisse Nationale de l Assurance Maladie, 50 Avenue du Pr André Lemierre, 75986 Paris Cedex 20, France
Diabetologia 55:1953-62. 2012..Previous studies have suggested an increased risk of bladder cancer with pioglitazone exposure. We aimed to investigate the association between pioglitazone exposure and bladder cancer in France...
- Dimethylbiguanide inhibits cell respiration via an indirect effect targeted on the respiratory chain complex IM Y El-Mir
Laboratoire de Bioénergétique Fondamentale et Appliquée, Universite Joseph Fourier, F 38041 Grenoble Cedex 09, France
J Biol Chem 275:223-8. 2000....
- Glycemic control with diet, sulfonylurea, metformin, or insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: progressive requirement for multiple therapies (UKPDS 49). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) GroupR C Turner
Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, England
JAMA 281:2005-12. 1999..8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) or glycosylated hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) below 7% is unknown...
- Systemic treatment with the antidiabetic drug metformin selectively impairs p53-deficient tumor cell growthMonica Buzzai
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, Department of Cancer Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cancer Res 67:6745-52. 2007..Thus, metformin is selectively toxic to p53-deficient cells and provides a potential mechanism for the reduced incidence of tumors observed in patients being treated with metformin...
- Effects of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists on weight loss: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trialsTina Vilsbøll
Diabetes Research Division, Department of Internal Medicine F, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, DK 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
BMJ 344:d7771. 2012..To determine whether treatment with agonists of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor (GLP-1R) result in weight loss in overweight or obese patients with or without type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Insulin adherence behaviours and barriers in the multinational Global Attitudes of Patients and Physicians in Insulin Therapy studyM Peyrot
Department of Sociology, Loyola University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21210 2699, USA
Diabet Med 29:682-9. 2012..To examine patient and physician beliefs regarding insulin therapy and the degree to which patients adhere to their insulin regimens...
- Liraglutide vs insulin glargine and placebo in combination with metformin and sulfonylurea therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus (LEAD-5 met+SU): a randomised controlled trialD Russell-Jones
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal Guildford Hospital, UK
Diabetologia 52:2046-55. 2009..The aim of the study was to compare the efficacy and safety of liraglutide in type 2 diabetes mellitus vs placebo and insulin glargine (A21Gly,B31Arg,B32Arg human insulin), all in combination with metformin and glimepiride...
- Risk of bladder cancer among diabetic patients treated with pioglitazone: interim report of a longitudinal cohort studyJames D Lewis
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes Care 34:916-22. 2011..This is an interim report of an ongoing cohort study examining the association between pioglitazone therapy and the risk of bladder cancer in patients with diabetes...
- Efficacy and safety of canagliflozin monotherapy in subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled with diet and exerciseK Stenlof
Clinical Trial Center, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Diabetes Obes Metab 15:372-82. 2013..Canagliflozin is a sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor in development for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). The efficacy and safety of canagliflozin were evaluated in subjects with T2DM inadequately controlled with diet and exercise...
- Insulin degludec versus insulin glargine in insulin-naive patients with type 2 diabetes: a 1-year, randomized, treat-to-target trial (BEGIN Once Long)Bernard Zinman
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes Care 35:2464-71. 2012..To compare ultra-long-acting insulin degludec with glargine for efficacy and safety in insulin-naive patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with oral antidiabetic drugs (OADs)...
- Ultra-long-acting insulin degludec has a flat and stable glucose-lowering effect in type 2 diabetesT Heise
Profil Institute for Metabolic Research, Neuss, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:944-50. 2012..This double-blind, two-period, incomplete block cross-over trial investigated the pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties of IDeg at steady state (SS) in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Cancer risk associated with use of metformin and sulfonylurea in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysisDavide Soranna
Dipartimento di Epidemiologia, Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Via La Masa 19, Milan, Italy
Oncologist 17:813-22. 2012..To quantify the association between metformin and sulfonylurea and the risk of cancer, we performed a meta-analysis of available studies on the issue...
- The Indian Diabetes Prevention Programme shows that lifestyle modification and metformin prevent type 2 diabetes in Asian Indian subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IDPP-1)A Ramachandran
Diabetes Research Centre, M V Hospital for Diabetes, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research, Education and Training in Diabetes, Royapuram, Chennai, India
Diabetologia 49:289-97. 2006..In a prospective community-based study, we tested whether the progression to diabetes could be influenced by interventions in native Asian Indians with IGT who were younger, leaner and more insulin resistant than the above populations...
- Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetesWilliam Duckworth
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
N Engl J Med 360:129-39. 2009..The effects of intensive glucose control on cardiovascular events in patients with long-standing type 2 diabetes mellitus remain uncertain...
- Effect of intensive glucose lowering treatment on all cause mortality, cardiovascular death, and microvascular events in type 2 diabetes: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsRémy Boussageon
Department of General Medicine, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Lyon, France
BMJ 343:d4169. 2011..To determine all cause mortality and deaths from cardiovascular events related to intensive glucose lowering treatment in people with type 2 diabetes...
- DURATION-5: exenatide once weekly resulted in greater improvements in glycemic control compared with exenatide twice daily in patients with type 2 diabetesThomas Blevins
Texas Diabetes and Endocrinology, 6500 North Mopac Expressway, Building 3, Suite 200, Austin, Texas 78731, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:1301-10. 2011..We wanted to understand the effects of once-weekly vs. twice-daily glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonism for treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Severe hypoglycemia and risks of vascular events and deathSophia Zoungas
George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
N Engl J Med 363:1410-8. 2010..We analyzed data from a large study of intensive glucose lowering to explore the relationship between severe hypoglycemia and adverse clinical outcomes...
- Antidiabetic therapies affect risk of pancreatic cancerDonghui Li
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Gastroenterology 137:482-8. 2009..We investigated the effect of antidiabetic therapies on the risk of pancreatic cancer...
- AMP-activated protein kinase in metabolic control and insulin signalingMhairi C Towler
Division of Molecular Physiology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK
Circ Res 100:328-41. 2007..It is a key player in the development of new treatments for obesity, type 2 diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome...
- Efficacy and safety of the once-daily GLP-1 receptor agonist lixisenatide in monotherapy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in patients with type 2 diabetes (GetGoal-Mono)Vivian A Fonseca
Department of Medicine, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Diabetes Care 35:1225-31. 2012..To assess efficacy and safety of lixisenatide monotherapy in type 2 diabetes...
- Design of the novel protraction mechanism of insulin degludec, an ultra-long-acting basal insulinIb Jonassen
Diabetes Research Unit, Novo Nordisk, Novo Nordisk Park, 2760, Måløv, Denmark
Pharm Res 29:2104-14. 2012..A series of insulins, acylated at B29 with fatty acids via glutamic acid spacers, were examined to deduce the structural requirements...
- Canagliflozin improves glycaemic control over 28 days in subjects with type 2 diabetes not optimally controlled on insulinD Devineni
Janssen Research and Development, LLC, Raritan, NJ 08869, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:539-45. 2012..Canagliflozin is a sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitor that is being investigated for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- Insulin degludec, an ultra-longacting basal insulin, versus insulin glargine in basal-bolus treatment with mealtime insulin aspart in type 1 diabetes (BEGIN Basal-Bolus Type 1): a phase 3, randomised, open-label, treat-to-target non-inferiority trialSimon Heller
University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK eld ac uk
Lancet 379:1489-97. 2012..We therefore compared the efficacy and safety of insulin degludec and insulin glargine, both administered once daily with mealtime insulin aspart, in basal-bolus therapy for type 1 diabetes...
- The antidiabetic drug metformin exerts an antitumoral effect in vitro and in vivo through a decrease of cyclin D1 levelI Ben Sahra
INSERM U568, Nice, France
Oncogene 27:3576-86. 2008....
- ThiazolidinedionesHannele Yki-Jarvinen
Division of Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland
N Engl J Med 351:1106-18. 2004
- AMPK: an emerging drug target for diabetes and the metabolic syndromeBei B Zhang
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Cell Metab 9:407-16. 2009..Activation of AMPK by pharmacological agents presents a unique challenge, given the complexity of the biology, but holds a considerable potential to reverse the metabolic abnormalities associated with type 2 diabetes...
- Canagliflozin, a novel inhibitor of sodium glucose co-transporter 2, dose dependently reduces calculated renal threshold for glucose excretion and increases urinary glucose excretion in healthy subjectsS Sha
Johnson and Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development, LLC, Raritan, NJ 08869, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 13:669-72. 2011..Canagliflozin was generally well tolerated; most adverse events were mild and no hypoglycaemia was reported. These results support further study of canagliflozin...
- Metformin and cancer risk in diabetic patients: a systematic review and meta-analysisAndrea Decensi
Division of Medical Oncology Unit, EO Ospedali Galliera, Mura delle Cappuccine 14, 16128 Genoa, Italy
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:1451-61. 2010..Given the retrospective nature of most studies and the possibility that the control treatments increase risk, phase II trials are needed before large cancer prevention trials are launched...
- Cancer risk in diabetic patients treated with metformin: a systematic review and meta-analysisHiroshi Noto
Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Medicine, Center Hospital, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e33411. 2012..Our objective was to enhance the precision of estimates of the effect of metformin on the risk of any-site and site-specific cancers in patients with diabetes...
- Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulinSamantha L Bowker
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Care 29:254-8. 2006..We explored the association between antidiabetic therapies and cancer-related mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes, postulating that agents that increase insulin levels might promote cancer...
- New users of metformin are at low risk of incident cancer: a cohort study among people with type 2 diabetesGillian Libby
Division of Clinical and Population Sciences and Education, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Diabetes Care 32:1620-5. 2009..Activation of AMPK can suppress tumor formation and inhibit cell growth in addition to lowering blood glucose levels. We tested the hypothesis that metformin reduces the risk of cancer in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Pharmacological and lifestyle interventions to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in people with impaired glucose tolerance: systematic review and meta-analysisClare L Gillies
Centre for Biostatistics and Genetic Epidemiology, Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH
BMJ 334:299. 2007..To quantify the effectiveness of pharmacological and lifestyle interventions to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in people with impaired glucose tolerance...
- Long-term efficacy and safety of linagliptin in patients with type 2 diabetes and severe renal impairment: a 1-year, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyJanet B McGill
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Lipid Research, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, MO, USA
Diabetes Care 36:237-44. 2013..This placebo-controlled study assessed long-term efficacy and safety of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor linagliptin in patients with type 2 diabetes and severe renal impairment (RI)...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of the once-daily GLP-1 receptor agonist lixisenatide in Asian patients with type 2 diabetes insufficiently controlled on basal insulin with or without a sulfonylurea (GetGoal-L-Asia)Y Seino
Kansai Electric Power Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:910-7. 2012..To assess the efficacy and safety of once-daily lixisenatide versus placebo in Asian patients with type 2 diabetes insufficiently controlled on basal insulin ± sulfonylurea...
- International trial of the Edmonton protocol for islet transplantationA M James Shapiro
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
N Engl J Med 355:1318-30. 2006..We conducted an international, multicenter trial to explore the feasibility and reproducibility of islet transplantation with the use of a single common protocol (the Edmonton protocol)...
- Diabetes and cancer: a consensus reportEdward Giovannucci
Departments of Nutrition and Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 655 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 60:207-21. 2010..In addition, key unanswered questions for future research are posed...
- Use of twice-daily exenatide in Basal insulin-treated patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, controlled trialJohn B Buse
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:103-12. 2011..Insulin replacement in diabetes often requires prandial intervention to reach hemoglobin A₁(c) (HbA₁(c)) targets...
- Risk of malignancies in patients with diabetes treated with human insulin or insulin analogues: a cohort studyL G Hemkens
Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care IQWiG, Dillenburger Strasse 27, D 51105, Cologne, Germany
Diabetologia 52:1732-44. 2009..The aim of this cohort study was to investigate the risk of malignant neoplasms and mortality in patients with diabetes treated either with human insulin or with one of three insulin analogues...
- Effect of rosiglitazone on the risk of myocardial infarction and death from cardiovascular causesSteven E Nissen
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
N Engl J Med 356:2457-71. 2007..Rosiglitazone is widely used to treat patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, but its effect on cardiovascular morbidity and mortality has not been determined...
- Development and progression of nephropathy in type 2 diabetes: the United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS 64)Amanda I Adler
Diabetes Trials Unit, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Oxford, and South Cleveland Hospital, Cleveland, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 63:225-32. 2003..This study sought to describe the development and progression through the stages of microalbuminuria, macroalbuminuria, persistently elevated plasma creatinine or renal replacement therapy (RRT), and death...
- Survival as a function of HbA(1c) in people with type 2 diabetes: a retrospective cohort studyCraig J Currie
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Lancet 375:481-9. 2010..Results of intervention studies in patients with type 2 diabetes have led to concerns about the safety of aiming for normal blood glucose concentrations. We assessed survival as a function of HbA(1c) in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Intensive diabetes treatment and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 1 diabetesDavid M Nathan
N Engl J Med 353:2643-53. 2005..We studied whether the use of intensive therapy as compared with conventional therapy during the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT) affected the long-term incidence of cardiovascular disease...
- Use of cells expressing gamma subunit variants to identify diverse mechanisms of AMPK activationSimon A Hawley
Division of Molecular Physiology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Cell Metab 11:554-65. 2010..Our approaches distinguish at least six different mechanisms for AMPK activation and confirm that the widely used antidiabetic drug metformin activates AMPK by inhibiting mitochondrial respiration...
- Summary and recommendations of the Fifth International Workshop-Conference on Gestational Diabetes MellitusBoyd E Metzger
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Diabetes Care 30:S251-60. 2007
- Sequential intensification of metformin treatment in type 2 diabetes with liraglutide followed by randomized addition of basal insulin prompted by A1C targetsJ Hans DeVries
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 35:1446-54. 2012..We evaluated the addition of liraglutide to metformin in type 2 diabetes followed by intensification with basal insulin (detemir) if glycated hemoglobin (A1C) ≥7%...
- Metformin and the risk of cancer: time-related biases in observational studiesSamy Suissa
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology, Lady Davis Institute, Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Diabetes Care 35:2665-73. 2012..Immortal time bias, time-window bias, and time-lag bias all tend to greatly exaggerate the benefits observed with a drug...
- Effect of intensive treatment of hyperglycaemia on microvascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes: an analysis of the ACCORD randomised trialFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4951, USA
Lancet 376:419-30. 2010..We investigated whether reduction of blood glucose concentration decreases the rate of microvascular complications in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Chronic inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 with a sitagliptin analog preserves pancreatic beta-cell mass and function in a rodent model of type 2 diabetesJames Mu
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Diabetes 55:1695-704. 2006..These findings suggest that DPP-4 inhibitors may offer long-lasting efficacy in the treatment of type 2 diabetes by modifying the courses of the disease...
- The impact of non-severe hypoglycemic events on work productivity and diabetes managementMeryl Brod
The BROD GROUP, Mill Valley, CA 94941, USA
Value Health 14:665-71. 2011..The objective of this multi-country study was to identify how NSHEs in a working population affect productivity, costs, and self-management behaviors...
- Efficacy and safety of exenatide once weekly versus sitagliptin or pioglitazone as an adjunct to metformin for treatment of type 2 diabetes (DURATION-2): a randomised trialRichard M Bergenstal
International Diabetes Center at Park Nicollet, Minneapolis, MN 55416, USA
Lancet 376:431-9. 2010....
- Insulin glargine use and short-term incidence of malignancies-a population-based follow-up study in SwedenJ M Jonasson
Division of Clinical Cancer Epidemiology, Department of Oncology, Onkologiskt centrum, Sahlgrenska Academy, 41345, Gothenburg, Sweden
Diabetologia 52:1745-54. 2009..In the light of a report suggesting that insulin glargine may increase cancer occurrence, the EASD asked us to perform this study...
- Once weekly exenatide compared with insulin glargine titrated to target in patients with type 2 diabetes (DURATION-3): an open-label randomised trialMichaela Diamant
Diabetes Centre, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Lancet 375:2234-43. 2010..We aimed to test the hypothesis that improvement in haemoglobin A(1c) (HbA(1c)) achieved with once weekly exenatide was superior to that achieved with insulin glargine titrated to glucose targets...
- Investigating metformin for cancer prevention and treatment: the end of the beginningMichael N Pollak
Department of Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer Discov 2:778-90. 2012....
- Long-term effects of insulin glargine on the risk of breast cancerS Suissa
Center for Clinical Epidemiology, Lady Davis Research Institute, Jewish General Hospital, 3755 Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, QC, Canada H3T 1E2
Diabetologia 54:2254-62. 2011..There have been growing concerns regarding the long-term effects of insulin glargine (A21Gly,B31Arg,B32Arg human insulin) on the risk of breast cancer...
- Medicinal plants of India with anti-diabetic potentialJ K Grover
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110049, India
J Ethnopharmacol 81:81-100. 2002..charantia, Eugenia jambolana, Mucuna pruriens, T. cordifolia, T. foenum graecum, O. sanctum, P. marsupium, Murraya koeingii and Brassica juncea. All plants have shown varying degree of hypoglycemic and anti-hyperglycemic activity...
- Common variants near ATM are associated with glycemic response to metformin in type 2 diabetesKaixin Zhou
Biomedical Research Institute, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Nat Genet 43:117-20. 2011..We conclude that ATM, a gene known to be involved in DNA repair and cell cycle control, plays a role in the effect of metformin upstream of AMP-activated protein kinase, and variation in this gene alters glycemic response to metformin...
- Efficacy and safety of exenatide once weekly versus metformin, pioglitazone, and sitagliptin used as monotherapy in drug-naive patients with type 2 diabetes (DURATION-4): a 26-week double-blind studyDavid Russell-Jones
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal Surrey County Hospital, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
Diabetes Care 35:252-8. 2012..To test the safety and efficacy of exenatide once weekly (EQW) compared with metformin (MET), pioglitazone (PIO), and sitagliptin (SITA) over 26 weeks, in suboptimally treated (diet and exercise) drug-naive patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Glucose-lowering agents and cancer mortality rates in type 2 diabetes: assessing effects of time-varying exposureS L Bowker
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, 2 040 Health Research Innovation Facility, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E1
Diabetologia 53:1631-7. 2010..We explored the relationship between glucose-lowering agents and cancer mortality rates in type 2 diabetes patients, hypothesising a decreased risk of cancer mortality with metformin use and a dose-risk gradient for insulin therapy...
- Metformin: an updateDmitri Kirpichnikov
State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Box 1205, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:25-33. 2002....
- Inhibition of monocyte adhesion to endothelial cells and attenuation of atherosclerotic lesion by a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist, exendin-4Masayuki Arakawa
Department of Medicine, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Juntendo University Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Diabetes 59:1030-7. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of GLP-1 on accumulation of monocytes/macrophages on the vascular wall, one of the earliest steps in atherosclerogenesis...
- Long-term metformin use is associated with decreased risk of breast cancerMichael Bodmer
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Diabetes Care 33:1304-8. 2010To evaluate whether use of oral hypoglycemic agents is associated with an altered breast cancer risk in women.
- Validation of anti-aging drugs by treating age-related diseasesMikhail V Blagosklonny
Cancer Center, Ordway Research Institute, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Aging (Albany NY) 1:281-8. 2009..If the group is large, then the anti-aging effect could be validated in a couple of years. Startlingly, retrospective analysis of clinical and preclinical data reveals four potential anti-aging modalities...
- Use of insulin glargine and cancer incidence in Scotland: a study from the Scottish Diabetes Research Network Epidemiology GroupH M Colhoun
Biomedical Research Institute, University of Dundee, Mackenzie Building, Kirsty Semple Way, Dundee, DD2 4BF, Scotland, UK
Diabetologia 52:1755-65. 2009..The aim of the present study was to examine whether patients with diabetes in Scotland using insulin glargine have a greater cancer risk than patients using other types of insulin...
- Multifactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetesPeter Gaede
Steno Diabetes Center, Copenhagen, Denmark
N Engl J Med 348:383-93. 2003....
- The Anti-diabetic drugs rosiglitazone and metformin stimulate AMP-activated protein kinase through distinct signaling pathwaysLee G D Fryer
Cellular Stress Group, Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Hammersmith Hospital, DuCane Road, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:25226-32. 2002..Our results demonstrate that AMPK can be activated by at least two distinct signaling mechanisms and suggest that it may play a wider role in the cellular stress response than was previously understood...
- The effects of baseline characteristics, glycaemia treatment approach, and glycated haemoglobin concentration on the risk of severe hypoglycaemia: post hoc epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD studyMichael E Miller
Division of Public Health Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1063, USA
BMJ 340:b5444. 2010....
- Correlates of insulin injection omissionMark Peyrot
Department of Sociology, Loyola University Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 33:240-5. 2010..The purpose of this study was to assess factors associated with patient frequency of intentionally skipping insulin injections...
- Insulin degludec in type 1 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial of a new-generation ultra-long-acting insulin compared with insulin glargineKare I Birkeland
Oslo University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, Oslo, Norway
Diabetes Care 34:661-5. 2011..We assessed the efficacy and safety of IDeg formulations administered once daily in combination with mealtime insulin aspart in people with type 1 diabetes...
- Metformin activates AMP kinase through inhibition of AMP deaminaseJiangyong Ouyang
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10010, USA
J Biol Chem 286:1-11. 2011..Both metformin and the AMPD inhibitor suppressed ammonia accumulation by the cells. Knockdown of AMPD obviated metformin stimulation of glucose transport. We conclude that AMPD inhibition is the mechanism of metformin action...
- Effects of exenatide versus sitagliptin on postprandial glucose, insulin and glucagon secretion, gastric emptying, and caloric intake: a randomized, cross-over studyRalph A DeFronzo
University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Medicine, Diabetes Division MSC 7886, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 24:2943-52. 2008..This study evaluated the effects of exenatide, a GLP-1 receptor agonist, and sitagliptin, a DPP-4 inhibitor, on 2-h postprandial glucose (PPG), insulin and glucagon secretion, gastric emptying, and caloric intake in T2D patients...
- Rosiglitazone revisited: an updated meta-analysis of risk for myocardial infarction and cardiovascular mortalitySteven E Nissen
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Arch Intern Med 170:1191-1201. 2010..Controversy regarding the effects of rosiglitazone therapy on myocardial infarction (MI) and cardiovascular (CV) mortality persists 3 years after a meta-analysis initially raised concerns about the use of this drug...
- Rosiglitazone evaluated for cardiovascular outcomes in oral agent combination therapy for type 2 diabetes (RECORD): a multicentre, randomised, open-label trialPhilip D Home
Newcastle Diabetes Centre and Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Lancet 373:2125-35. 2009..We assessed cardiovascular outcomes after addition of rosiglitazone to either metformin or sulfonylurea compared with the combination of the two over 5-7 years of follow-up. We also assessed comparative safety...
- Systematic review: glucose control and cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetesTanika N Kelly
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 1440 Canal Street, Suite 2000, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:394-403. 2009..Results from clinical trials examining the effect of intensive glucose control on cardiovascular disease have been conflicting...
- Liraglutide versus sitagliptin for patients with type 2 diabetes who did not have adequate glycaemic control with metformin: a 26-week, randomised, parallel-group, open-label trialRichard E Pratley
Diabetes and Metabolism Translational Medicine Unit, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, USA
Lancet 375:1447-56. 2010....
- Diabetes prevalence and therapeutic target achievement in the United States, 1999 to 2006Bernard M Y Cheung
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
Am J Med 122:443-53. 2009..Changes in the prevalence, treatment, and management of diabetes in the United States from 1999 to 2006 were studied using data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey...
- Gender differences in metformin effect on aging, life span and spontaneous tumorigenesis in 129/Sv miceVladimir N Anisimov
N N Petrov Research Institute of Oncology, Pesochny 2, St Petersburg 197758, Russia
Aging (Albany NY) 2:945-58. 2010..5 times the incidence of malignant neoplasms in female mice while somewhat stimulated formation of benign vascular tumors in the latter...
- Risk of cardiovascular disease events in patients with type 2 diabetes prescribed the glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist exenatide twice daily or other glucose-lowering therapies: a retrospective analysis of the LifeLink databaseJennie H Best
Amylin Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, California, USA
Diabetes Care 34:90-5. 2011..To test the hypothesis that exenatide twice daily reduces the relative incidence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) events among patients with type 2 diabetes compared with other glucose-lowering agent(s)...
- The association between symptomatic, severe hypoglycaemia and mortality in type 2 diabetes: retrospective epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD studyDenise E Bonds
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
BMJ 340:b4909. 2010..To determine whether there is a link between hypoglycaemia and mortality among participants in the Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes (ACCORD) trial...
- Ginkgo Biloba Extract & The Insulin Resistance SyndromeGeorge Kudolo; Fiscal Year: 2004..mechanism may involve the alteration of drug pharmacokinetics resulting in decreased efficacy of the hypoglycemic agents and increased whole body insulin resistance...
- Effective treatment of sleep apnea in prediabetes to reduce cardiometabolic riskEsra Tasali; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this research may provide a better understanding of ways to prevent and/or treat diabetes and its cardiovascular complications for millions of Americans. ..
- A rational approach to liver toxicity monitoring in methotrexate usersGabriela Schmajuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..This mentored career development award will provide the skills, mentorship, and experience necessary to propel her to independence. ..
- Synergistic Roles of Adiponectin & PPARgamma in Beta-Cell Survival/ProliferationWilliam L Holland; Fiscal Year: 2010..The PANIC ATTAC mouse allows the unique opportunity to evaluate beta cell regeneration following the cell specific and titratable induction of apoptosis. ..
- Modulation of PKC Response and Insulin Secretion by the Beta Subunit of Calcium CGANESAN LENIN KAMATCHI; Fiscal Year: 2013..To be specific, this Aim will identify the Ser/Thr PKC phosphorylation sites of Cav [unreadable]1 subunits that are targeted by the Cav[unreadable] and PKC isozymes and study the mechanism of interaction between these three proteins. ..
- Biobehavioral Bases &Management of Type 2 Diabetes and DepressionNeil Schneiderman; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- A Cardiovascular Risk Reduction Learning Community in DARTNetKarl Hammermeister; Fiscal Year: 2010..ability to conduct observational comparative effectiveness research in a completed pilot project on oral hypoglycemic agents. Working collaboratively with DARTNet care providers, we will analyze three groups of factors associated ..
- Discovery and Development of Novel Glucose Dependent Partial Glucokinase ActivatoDuncan McRee; Fiscal Year: 2010..After identification of several lead K-system GKA series, we intend to implement structure guided medicinal chemistry campaign to develop a partial GKAs with pharmaceutical like properties. ..
- Impact of Medicaid Policy on cardiovascular drug use and clinical outcomesMichael A Fischer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Glucose lowering effect of metformin and sitagliptin in adolescents with Type 1Luisa M Rodriguez; Fiscal Year: 2013..is to improve glycemic control in adolescents with Type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) through the use of oral hypoglycemic agents as adjuncts to insulin therapy...
- The Role of PPARgamma in Lung Cancer Progression and MetastasisHoward Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such an environment maximizes the potential for the applicant to establish a scientific niche from which an academic career can be constructed. ..
- Targeting diet-induced promotion of Kras-initiated pancreatic adenocarcinomaGUIDO ERWIN MICHAEL EIBL; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Low-cost proinsulin-transferrin fusion protein in rice for treatment of diabetesDeshui Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore, there is an urgent need to develop novel, inexpensive hypoglycemic agents to treat and arrest the fast spreading of this debilitating disease...
- Silymarin for the Treatment of Nonalcoholic SteatohepatitisVictor J Navarro; Fiscal Year: 2010..These results will allow practitioners and patients to decide whether to use Silymarin in this specific disease process. ..
- FRUCTOFURANOSE MODULATORS--STRUCTURAL/ENZYMATIC STUDIESEZZAT YOUNATHAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..This discovery revealed a new group of hypoglycemic agents hitherto unstudied...
- PEROXISOME PROLIFERATOR-ACTIVATED RECEPTOR EXPRESSIONNICOLAS GUZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Puerarin Analogs with Anti-Diabetic ActivityNICHOLAS CAIRNS; Fiscal Year: 2007..this proposal are to synthesize novel puerarin analogs and to evaluate the potential of these compounds as hypoglycemic agents. To accomplish this goal, we will synthesize novel puerarin analogs and screen them for their ability to ..
- Novel Alkylglycosides with Anti-Diabetic ActivityNICHOLAS CAIRNS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Testing of the Alkylmaltosides as Substrates for the Glycogen Biosynthetic Enzymes 4. Determine the Effects of the Most Active O- and/or S-Alkylmaltosides on Blood Glucose and Glucose tolerance in the ob/ob Mouse Model. ..
- NOVEL HYPOGLYCEMIC AGENTS FROM DIOSCOREA SPPMICHAEL TEMPESTA; Fiscal Year: 1990The objective of the proposed project is to identify and evaluate novel hypoglycemic agents obtained from a plant used in folk medicine...
- HEREDITARY DIABETESDOUGLAS COLEMAN; Fiscal Year: 1990..Once the most effect dosages and the toxicity are established, these new oral hypoglycemic agents may become significant in the treatment of human diabetes...
- Discovery and development of Antidiabetic DrugsGERARD HOUSEY; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since diabetes is a major chronic disease of epidemic proportions, pharmaceutical products developed by at HPRL will have large market opportunities world-wide. ..
- NEUROCHEMICAL AND BEHAVIORAL EFFECTS OF HYPERGLYCEMIAMARISE PARENT; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Therapeutic Targeting of PPAR in Diabetic NephropathyYoufei Guan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Modeling Prioritization of Health Care for Complex Patients Using Archimedes.Dewey Scheid; Fiscal Year: 2009..interventions and different classes of medications, including aspirin, antihypertensive medications, hypoglycemic agents, and lipid-lowering drugs...
- THE EFFECT OF TOLBUTAMIDE ON THE ISCHEMIC MYOCARDIUMStephen Schaffer; Fiscal Year: 1980Oral hypoglycemic agents such as tolbutamide have been widely used to treat diabetes-induced hyperglycemia since their clinical introduction 20 years ago...
- CELLULAR MARKERS OF GENETIC HETEROGENEITY IN DIABETESTHOMAS GELEHRTER; Fiscal Year: 1980..The effect of incubation of the cells with glucocorticoids and oral hypoglycemic agents on their insulin responsiveness will also be studied...
- WEIGHT LOSS/EXERCISE IN AGED BLACKS WITH CHRONIC DISEASETANYA AGURS; Fiscal Year: 1991..Inclusion criteria include have a diagnosis of NIDDM treated with diet alone or with diet and oral hypoglycemic agents; >120% desirable body weight, but <160% desirable body weight, and not taking cholesterol-lowering ..
- Induced islet neogenesis therapy in vivoLawrence Chan; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Despite the development of oral hypoglycemic agents that boost insulin secretion or reduce insulin resistance, and of different forms of insulin with widely varying durations of action, ..
- Identification of an endogenous PPAR gamma ligandJONATHAN HAMM; Fiscal Year: 2003..This work will be the foundation for a research program investigating the role of natural PPARgamma ligands in health and disease. ..
- OUTCOMES OF INCREASING SELF-MONITORING IN AN HMOStephen Soumerai; Fiscal Year: 2000..analysis, the project would stratify the results by patients receiving insulin and those receiving oral hypoglycemic agents, and also examine low-income patients and those with poor glycemic control...
- Mechanisms and use of antidiabetic agents in brain aging and Alzheimer's diseaseOlivier Thibault; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, these studies will contribute to future drug discovery efforts to generate new TZD-derived or similar drugs for the treatment of AD. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Incremental Clinical/Cost Effect of RN/PeerAthena Philis Tsimikas; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] From a public health perspective this research may demonstrate culturally appropriate approaches that lead to positive behavior change and are clinically effective in the Latino diabetic population. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Silibinin in Prostate Cancer Chemoprevention & TreatmentMichael Pollak; Fiscal Year: 2004..The work is justified by the favorable toxicity profile of silibinin, together with prior positive laboratory studies reported by our group and other investigators. ..
- Inflammation in obesity: Modulation by Weight LossParesh Dandona; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Insulin Resistance and Hepatic Steatosis in Hepatitis CCharles F Burant; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- GLUCOCORTICOIDS, HYPOGLYCEMIA & BRAIN GLUCOSE TRANSPORTAnthony McCall; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies should provide insight into hypoglycemia's impact upon the brain. They may potentially lead to safer was to achieve good diabetes control. ..
- Using Systems Biology to Understand Islet Adaptation and Failure DiabetesCharles F Burant; Fiscal Year: 2010..The studies will also provide the first insights into the ways in which human islets react to specific nutrient challenges. ..
- Course and risk factors for depression in late lifeHillary R Bogner; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Bone loss with aging occurs due to increased PPAR-g activity in marrow stem cellsBEATA ANNA LECKA CZERNIK; Fiscal Year: 2010..Completion of the above aims should enable us to determine the role of PPARg in this process and will allow designing therapeutic interventions that will selectively block PPARg anti-osteoblastic activity. ..
- Adherence to Depression Treatment Among Older PatientsHillary Bogner; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project will set the stage for the development and implementation of interventions to improve depression treatment adherence among persons with co-existing CVD. ..
- Markers of normoglycemic remission in obese diabeticsGuillermo Umpierrez; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identifying such markers will facilitate and guide future therapeutic interventions and may identify patients at risk to develop chronic complications of diabetes ..
- Generation of Collecting Duct Knockout of PPARgammaTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2006..New information provided by this proposal is expected to provide insights into the roles of PPARgamma in regulation of fluid balance and in mediation of the side effects of TDZ. ..
- Role of Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3 In Type 2-DiabetesRobert Henry; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Leptin and insulin action in the brain; role in obesityKevin Niswender; Fiscal Year: 2007..These aims also provide the background and training necessary for the development of an independent research program and will be conducted in the context of rich training environment ..
- Interaction of COX-2 AND nNOS in renin secretion (R01)Tianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PPAR gamma-2 expression in marrow stroma during agingBeata Lecka Czernik; Fiscal Year: 2005..Such intervention may slow down or even prevent age-related bone loss. ..
- Renal medullary COX-2 in blood pressure controlTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2008..The information resulted from these studies will provide new insight into the molecular mechanism responsible for long-term control of arterial blood pressure. ..
- Characteristics and Costs of Impaired Fasting GlucoseGregory Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, we will calculate and compare the costs of medical care for patients in each FPG stage, and estimate multivariate models to identify factors that contribute to medical costs in each stage. ..
- Brain insulin and leptin resistance in obesityKevin Niswender; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 4: To determine if genetic enhancement of the hypothalamic PI3K pathway enhances insulin and leptin sensitivity and attenuates DIO. ..
- Interaction of COX-2 and nNOS in renin secretionTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- PAI-1 and The Vascular Toxicity of AldosteroneNancy Brown; Fiscal Year: 2005..This multi-disciplinary approach will generate new information regarding the role of aldosterone in vascular toxicity and, thus, improve our ability to prevent and treat cardiovascular disease. ..
- WHY DO METABOLIC RISK FACTORS CLUSTER WITH HYPERTENSION?Theodore Kurtz; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Data Evaluation for Early Disease Outbreak DetectionKenneth Kleinman; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BRAIN ENERGY METABOLISM AND HYPOGLYCEMIAPatrick Boyle; Fiscal Year: 2003..Better metabolic control, the key to the prevention of long-term complications of diabetes, will thus become more achievable. ..
- IDENTIFICATION OF SUSCEPTIBILITY GENES FOR NIDDMANDRZEJ KROLEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- RAAS, Inflammation & Post-Operative Atrial FibrillationNancy Brown; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Sex steroid, HPA regulation, and fat patterningJonathan Purnell; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Mapping genes for proteinuria in type II diabetesAndrzej S Krolewski; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore while the proposed study aims to limit genetic and phenotypic heterogeneity to increase effectiveness, the generalizability of the findings will be verified by examining multi-center collections such as GoKinD and FIND. ..