Summary: A traditional grouping of drugs said to have a soothing or calming effect on mood, thought, or behavior. Included here are the ANTI-ANXIETY AGENTS (minor tranquilizers), ANTIMANIC AGENTS, and the ANTIPSYCHOTIC AGENTS (major tranquilizers). These drugs act by different mechanisms and are used for different therapeutic purposes.
Publications170 found, 100 shown here
- Prevalence, patterns, and correlates of tranquilizer and sedative use among European adolescentsAnna Kokkevi
Department of Psychiatry, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
J Adolesc Health 43:584-92. 2008....
- Managing aggression and violence using rapid tranquillisationTommy Dickinson
School of Nursing and Caring Sciences, Mental Health Division, University of Central Lancashire, Preston
Nurs Stand 24:40-49; quiz 50, 52. 2009..The procedure is outlined and the importance of patient monitoring to observe for possible adverse effects is discussed. The legal and ethical issues are examined, along with guidance on the use of advance directives...
- Guidelines for conscious sedation and monitoring during gastrointestinal endoscopyJ Patrick Waring
Gastrointest Endosc 58:317-22. 2003..Further controlled clinical studies are needed to clarify aspects of this statement, and revision may be necessary as new data appear. Clinical consideration may justify a course of action at variance to these recommendations...
- Non-medical use, abuse and dependence on sedatives and tranquilizers among U.S. adults: psychiatric and socio-demographic correlatesWilliam C Becker
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8025, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 90:280-7. 2007..Non-medical use of sedatives and tranquilizers carries risks including development of abuse/dependence. Such use may correlate with psychiatric symptoms...
- Does early onset of non-medical use of prescription drugs predict subsequent prescription drug abuse and dependence? Results from a national studySean E McCabe
Substance Abuse Research Center, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 2194, USA
Addiction 102:1920-30. 2007..e. sedatives, tranquilizers, opioids, stimulants) and the development of prescription drug abuse and dependence in the United States...
- Prescription of hypnotics and tranquilisers at the Geneva prison's outpatient service in comparison to an urban outpatient medical serviceBernice S Elger
Département de médecine communautaire, division de médecine pénitentiaire, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve
Soz Praventivmed 47:39-43. 2002..Examine whether an overconsumption of tranquillizers exists in prison and discuss possible reasons...
- [Prevalence and risk factors for substance abuse and dependence among anaesthetists: a national survey]L Beaujouan
Mission de santé publique, AP HP, 1 Place du Parvis Notre Dame, 75181 Paris Cedex 04, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 24:471-9. 2005..Addiction behaviours in the anaesthetist population have been recognized as a significant health-related issue and its scope is a matter of concern...
- Use of tranquilizers and sleeping pills among cancer patients is associated with a poorer quality of lifeO Paltiel
Braun School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Hadassah Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
Qual Life Res 13:1699-706. 2004..To evaluate the association between sleeping pill/tranquilizer (SP/T) use and quality of life (QOL) among cancer patients...
- [Some peculiarities of clinical signs and treatment of alcoholic psychosis in women]An A Kirpichenko
Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 106:58-9. 2006
- In pursuit of a more complex understanding of non-medical use of prescription drugs: broadening perspective by sharpening our toolsSean Esteban McCabe
Addiction 103:1051-2. 2008
- Rapid tranquillisation in emergency psychiatric settingsChittaranjan Andrade
BMJ 335:835-6. 2007
- [A patient with Parkinson's disease complicated by hypothyroidism who developed malignant syndrome after discontinuation of etizolam]Masakazu Kawajiri
Department of Neurology, Neurological Institute, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 42:136-9. 2002....
- [How patients react when glaucoma is diagnosed?]N Hamelin
Hôpital des Quinze Vingts, Universite Paris V, 28, rue de Charenton, 75012 Paris, France
J Fr Ophtalmol 25:795-8. 2002..Behavioral modification in patients and their families are specified as well as their perception of the information received...
- [Pharmacotherapeutic trends at the beginning of the millennium in Hungary. Pharmacotherapy for bipolar patients, I]Gabor Kovacs
MH Központi Honvédkórház Pszichiátriai osztály
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung 6:13-8. 2004..We have evidence based experimental, anecdotal knowledge about the therapy of bipolar disorders, but we do not know the facts of the practice. The aim of the study was to evaluate the current therapeutic trends in Hungary...
- Use of major and minor tranquilizers with older patients in an acute care hospital: an exploratory studyPenny Kwasny
Rural Acute Care, The Chinook Health Region, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
J Adv Nurs 55:135-41. 2006....
- The use of restraint for pediatric psychiatric patients in emergency departmentsDavid H Dorfman
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 20:151-6. 2004....
- Utilisation of health care by women who have suffered abuse: a descriptive study on medical records in family practiceSylvie Lo Fo Wong
Medical Sciences, Radboud University Medical Centre, The Netherlands
Br J Gen Pract 57:396-400. 2007..Female patients, abused by their partner, are heavy users of medical services. To date, valid indicators of partner abuse of women are lacking...
- The association between antidepressant use and disturbances in glucose homeostasis: evidence from spontaneous reportsHieronymus J Derijks
Department of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Utrecht University, P O BOX 80082, 3508 TB, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 64:531-8. 2008..Depression is common in patients with diabetes, and the use of antidepressants may impair glycaemic control. We assessed the association between antidepressant use and hyper- and hypoglycaemia...
- Prevalence and risk factors for erectile dysfunction in a population-based study in IranM R Safarinejad
Department of Urology, Military University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Int J Impot Res 15:246-52. 2003..71, 95% CI, 2.51-6.76 and OR 2.80, 95% CI, 1.47-4.32, respectively). This study provides a quantitative estimate of the prevalence and main risk factors for ED in Iranian men...
- [A case of fluvoxamine overdose]Hiroyasu Oka
Department of Emergency Medicine and Trauma Surgery, Ehime University Hospital
Chudoku Kenkyu 15:53-7. 2002..7 times of the upper limit), 861 ng/ml (2 times), and 529 ng/ml (1.3 times), respectively. Fluvoxamine must be a main cause of her toxic symptoms although other CNS-depressing drugs might work jointly...
- [Assessment of CYP2D6 activity as a form of optimizing antidepressant therapy]Monika Szewczuk-Bogusławska
Kliniki Psychiatrii AM we Wrocławiu
Psychiatr Pol 38:1093-104. 2004..The knowledge of CYP2D6 phenotype is of special value when drugs characterized by a narrow therapeutic index are used and in polymedicated and older patients...
- [A patient with mitral prolapse: differential intervention programs in general medical practice]B L Movshovich
Ter Arkh 74:46-9. 2002..To develop and implement intervention programmes for patients with mitral prolapse (MP) under real conditions of general medical practices of Russia in the transition period...
- A double blind parallel group placebo controlled comparison of sedative and mnesic effects of etifoxine and lorazepam in healthy subjects [corrected]J Micallef
, , , , 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 15:209-16. 2001..These results suggest that 50 and 100 mg single dose of etifoxine do not induce amnesia and sedation as compared to lorazepam...
- [Insomnia in the elderly]C Amateis
Service de gériatrie et réadaptation geriatrique Département de médecine, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 3:2537-8, 2540-1. 2007..Hypnotics use remains nevertheless highly prevalent among elderly patients and withdrawal should be attempted after informing these patients of these drugs numerous side-effects...
- On the use of tranquillisers in epilepsyMichael R Trimble
Institute of Neurology, National Hospital for Neurology, London, UK
Epilepsia 43:25-7. 2002..It is useful in patients that have catamenial seizures, clusters of seizures, and also in the prevention of postictal syndromes. It is used in childhood epilepsy, and is also helpful in the management of febrile seizures...
- Rapid tranquilization: new approaches in the emergency treatment of behavioral disturbancesJurgen De Fruyt
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Merestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur Psychiatry 19:243-9. 2004..The perspective of the patient and the interaction between the emergency care setting and treatment regimen also need further attention. All these important, but often neglected issues are covered in a selective review of the literature...
- Drugs, recreational drug use and attitudes towards doping of high school athletesP Laure
Laboratoire de psychologie appliquée Stress et Société, Universite de Reims, Moulin de la Housse, Chemin des Rouliers, Reims, France
Int J Sports Med 25:133-8. 2004..Our findings suggest that doping prevention among young athletes cannot be limited uniquely to the list of banned drugs...
- Nonmedical use and abuse of scheduled medications prescribed for pain, pain-related symptoms, and psychiatric disorders: patterns, user characteristics, and management optionsMeredith Y Smith
Purdue Pharma, L P, One Stamford Forum, Stamford, CT 06901, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 7:337-43. 2005..Sources of diversion are enumerated, and options for minimizing the abuse liability associated with these medications are described...
- Cannabinoid agonists in the treatment of blepharospasm--a case report studyBenjamin Gauter
Department of Anaesthesiology, Clinical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 25:45-8. 2004..This case study demonstrates that the therapy with a cannabinoid agonist may provide a novel tool in the treatment of blepharospasm and maybe of other multifactorial related movement disorders...
- The expert consensus guideline series. Treatment of behavioral emergencies 2005Michael H Allen
University of Colorado School of Medicine, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 11:5-108; quiz 110-2. 2005..We undertook a new survey of expert opinion to update recommendations from the earlier survey...
- Magic bullets for mental disorders: the emergence of the concept of an "antipsychotic" drugJoanna Moncrieff
Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London, London, UK
J Hist Neurosci 22:30-46. 2013..The increasing popularity of atypical antipsychotics makes it important to examine the origins of the assumptions on which modern drug treatment is based...
- [Consumption of alcohol and other drugs by the active population in Spain]Fernando G Benavides
Centro de Investigación en Salud Laboral, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Espana
Gac Sanit 27:248-53. 2013..To describe consumption patterns of alcohol and other drugs in the active population in Spain by gender...
- Chemical immobilization of red foxes (Vulpes vulpes)T J Kreeger
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455
J Wildl Dis 26:95-8. 1990..1, 0.2, 0.4 mg/kg yohimbine, or saline 40 min after anesthetic induction. Administration of yohimbine significantly shortened arousal and recovery times relative to control values (P less than 0.001)...
- [Case report of pentazocine dependence from a standpoint of the cognitive therapy]Akira Watanabe
Department of Psychiatry, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Nihon Arukoru Yakubutsu Igakkai Zasshi 39:482-7. 2004..He started to use pentazocine to reduce serious migraine and felled into dependence by changing the purpose to relaxation of stammering fear and strain towards other people. He was successfully treated by cognitive therapy...
- Prevalences of illicit drug use in people aged 50 years and over from two surveysViola Fahmy
South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, MHOA and D CAG, London, UK
Age Ageing 41:553-6. 2012..little is known about illicit drug use in older people. Prevalences may rise as populations for whom illicit drug use has been more common and acceptable become older...
- Predictors for falls among hospital inpatients with impaired mobilityMichael Vassallo
King s Mill Hospital, Sutton in Ashfield NG17 4JL Southampton General, Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton SO9 4XY, UK
J R Soc Med 97:266-9. 2004..2% in patients with none of these characteristics. The presence of confusion and a history of falls identifies those patients who are at greatest risk of falls. Such patients might be the focus of special efforts at falls prevention...
- Pharmacovigilance in veterinary medicine in Chile: a pilot studyD Iragüen
Laboratory of Veterinary Pharmacology, Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 34:108-15. 2011..Present results suggest the need for a pharmacovigilance programme in veterinary medicine for timely ADR-presenting drug detection and drug safety improvement...
- [Medical prescription of psychiatric drugs in primary care]V Baos Vicente
Grupo de Utilización de Fármacos, semFYC, CS Collado Villalba Pueblo, Madrid, Spain
Aten Primaria 36:246-7. 2005
- Prevalence and impact of generalized anxiety disorder and major depression in primary care in Belgium and Luxemburg: the GADIS studyMarc Ansseau
Department of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology, CHU du Sart Tilman B35, University of Liege, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Eur Psychiatry 20:229-35. 2005..GADIS aims at determining the prevalence of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and major depression (MD) in primary care and their impact on the patient's functioning in Belgium and Luxemburg...
- Development and validation of a confirmatory method for the determination of tranquilisers and a β-blocker in porcine and bovine kidney by LC-MS/MSC Bock
Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety BVL, National Reference Laboratory for Residues and Contaminants, 10832 Berlin, Germany
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 30:1000-11. 2013..The validated method can be used for residue control of the above-mentioned analytes in bovine and porcine kidney of food-producing animals in accordance with Council Directive 96/23/EC. ..
- Tinnitus. Diagnosis and treatment of this elusive symptomCourtney A Noell
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Geriatrics 58:28-34. 2003..The degree to which the tinnitus bothers the patient will help determine the extent of treatment necessary...
- Substances used in deliberate self-poisoning 1985-1997: trends and associations with age, gender, repetition and suicide intentE Townsend
Centre for Suicide Research, Department of Psychiatry, Oxford University, Warneford Hospital, UK
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 36:228-34. 2001..Degree of suicidal intent may also influence choice of method of self-poisoning...
- Three case reports of secondary mania: evidence supporting a right frontotemporal locusRafael Gafoor
Section of Neuroimaging, Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF
Eur Psychiatry 18:32-3. 2003
- Treatment non-adherence in affective disordersRavi Lingam
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Claremont House, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 105:164-72. 2002..The aim of this paper is to review the prevalence, predictors and methods for improving medication adherence in unipolar and bipolar affective disorders...
- [Study of use of psychiatric drugs in primary care]C Vedia Urgell
Servei d Atenció Primària Mataró Maresme, ICS, Mataro, Barcelona, Spain
Aten Primaria 36:239-45. 2005..To get to know the profile of use of antidepressants (AD) and tranquilizers-hypnotics (T-H) in primary care in Catalonia...
- [The effect of combolen on the erythrocyte distribution in the dog]R Langer
Chirurgische Universitäts Klinik, Wurzburg, Deutschland
Zentralbl Veterinarmed A 41:509-22. 1994..Furthermore, its ability to prevent the spleen from uncontrolled hematocrit modulating actions in addition to its sedative effects is considered to be an invaluable advantage...
- Sleep disturbance in cancer patientsJudith R Davidson
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ont, Canada
Soc Sci Med 54:1309-21. 2002..This study provides new information about sleep-related phenomena in cancer patients, information which will be useful in planning supportive care services for cancer patients...
- Pharmacotherapeutic trends in 2231 psychiatric inpatients with bipolar depression from the International AMSP Project between 1994 and 2009Waldemar Greil
Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
J Affect Disord 136:534-42. 2012..Pharmacological treatment of bipolar depression is a complex and controversial issue, and its real-world practice remains largely unknown...
- Relationship between tobacco consumption and health-related quality of life in adults living in a large metropolitan areaJavier de Miguel Diez
Pulmonology Department, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Lung 188:393-9. 2010....
- Determinants of health-related quality of life of opiate users at entry to low-threshold methadone programsPeggy Millson
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Eur Addict Res 12:74-82. 2006..The aim of this study was to conduct an exploratory analysis of factors associated with poor health-related quality of life (HRQOL) among opiate users at entry to low-threshold methadone treatment...
- Multiresidue analysis of tranquilizers and the beta-blocker Carazolol in meat by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometryA Kaufmann
Official Food Control Authority of the Canton of Zurich Kantonales Labor Zürich, CH 8030 Zurich, Switzerland
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 15:1747-51. 2001..Resulting chromatograms are free of interfering peaks. The recovery is >75% for all analytes and the limit of detection <1 ppb, which is well below the current maximum residue limit for the various compounds...
- Substance-related problems and treatment among men who have sex with men in comparison to other men in ChicagoMary Ellen Mackesy-Amiti
Community Outreach Intervention Projects, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 36:227-33. 2009..Research is needed on effective methods for integrating HIV prevention for MSM into substance treatment settings, including physician-administered buprenorphine treatment for opiate addiction...
- [The importance of therapeutic drug monitoring for psychotropic drugs]Thomas Messer
MMW Fortschr Med . 2006..For anti-dementia drugs, anxiolytic drugs, hypnotic drugs and medications for treating addiction, monitoring is currently applied to the interpretation of side effects, drug interactions and to forensic questions...
- Major salivary gland output differs between users and non-users of specific medication categoriesAndy Wolff
Saliwell Ltd, Harutzim, Israel
Gerodontology 25:210-6. 2008..The intake of medications is a major aetiologic factor of xerostomia. The purpose of this study was to investigate the selective influence of medication categories on flow rates of individual major salivary glands...
- [Chemical restraints in nursing homes in the federal state Vorarlberg, Austria--an analysis of nursing home documentation according to legal obligation and suggestions for future improvement]Eva Mann
Institut für Versorgungsforschung, Rankweil, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 158:489-92. 2008..National guidelines defining chemical restraints and providing valid assessment instruments are urgently warranted...
- Biokinetics of gidazepam, derivatives of peptideaminobenzophenones and their metabolitesO V Zhuk
Odessa Mechnikov State University, Ukraine
Exp Toxicol Pathol 51:451-4. 1999..It is demonstrated that the peculiarities of their pharmacologic action of prodrugs are explained by the nonlinearity of the processes of their biotransformation and specific of biokinetics...
- Fate of beta blockers and psycho-active drugs in conventional wastewater treatmentArne Wick
Federal Institute of Hydrology BfG, D 56068 Koblenz, Am Mainzer Tor 1, Germany
Water Res 43:1060-74. 2009....
- The secretion of parotid saliva as stimulated by 10% citric acid is not related to precipitating factors in burning mouth syndromeP J Lamey
Department of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, The Queen's University of Belfast, The Royal Victoria Hospital, Northern Ireland
J Oral Pathol Med 30:121-4. 2001..These results provide evidence of reduced parotid gland function in Type 2 BMS and a role for antidepressant medication in reducing SPFR...
- Lack of sedative and cognitive effects of diphenhydramine and cyclobenzaprine in elderly volunteersC Lines
Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, Neuroscience Research Centre, Harlow, Essex, UK
J Psychopharmacol 11:325-9. 1997..Contrary to commonly held belief, the elderly appear to be less sensitive than the young to the central nervous system effects of oral diphenhydramine...
- Comparative evaluation of Melissa officinalis L., Tilia europaea L., Passiflora edulis Sims. and Hypericum perforatum L. in the elevated plus maze anxiety testM Coleta
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Coimbra, Portugal
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:S20-1. 2001..As the infused H. perforatum L. tested was devoid of hyperforin, it can be stated that the observed effects cannot be attributed to this substance...
- Determination of residues of azaperone in the kidneys by liquid chromatography with fluorescence detectionVesna Cerkvenik-Flajs
Veterinary Faculty of University of Ljubljana, Institute of Food Hygiene and Bromatology, Gerbiceva 60, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Anal Chim Acta 586:374-82. 2007..The procedure was also applied to bovine, poultry and horse kidneys, giving similar results, and has been successfully implemented in statutory residue monitoring control in food of animal origin in Slovenia...
- Use of droperidol and fentanyl for analgesia and sedation in primatesW E Field
Biological Research Division, McNeil Laboratories, Inc, Fort Washington, PA, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 149:896-901. 1966..High doses produced respiratory depression. However, this effect was easily reversed by administering nalorphine hydrochloride...
- Valuation of the psychiatric damage. Considerations about two clinical casesU Pàstina
Istituto di Psichiatria, Universita Cattolica del S Cuore, Roma, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 7:111-4. 2003..The assessment of the mental make-up, conditions the degree of psychiatric damage, which is useful to the medical examiner, and is of fundamental importance for the individual choice of a therapeutic process...
- Consensus statement on the use of intramuscular aripiprazole for the rapid control of agitation in bipolar mania and schizophreniaDomingo Gonzalez
Assertive Outreach Team, Birmingham and Solihull MHFT, Northcroft Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 29:241-50. 2013....
- Motivational subtypes of nonmedical use of prescription medications: results from a national studySean Esteban McCabe
Institute for Research on Women and Gender, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Adolesc Health 51:445-52. 2012..e., route of administration, co-ingestion, and subjective high)...
- Pharmacological activity of phenazepam and flunitrazepam in ultralow dosesG M Molodavkin
Institute of Pharmacology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow
Bull Exp Biol Med 135:39-41. 2003..This effect was not accompanied by myorelaxing and sedative side effects typical of standard doses of tranquilizers...
- Physiological evaluation of free-ranging moose (Alces alces) immobilized with etorphine-xylazine-acepromazine in Northern SwedenAlina L Evans
Department of Forestry and Wildlife Management, Hedmark University College, Campus Evenstad, Koppang, NO 2480, Norway
Acta Vet Scand 54:77. 2012..This study evaluates capture and anesthesia of moose (Alces alces) with etorphine-xylazine-acepromazine in Northern Sweden...
- Factors associated with history of non-fatal overdose among young nonmedical users of prescription drugsKarol Silva
Drexel University, School of Public Health, Department of Community Health and Prevention, 1505 Race Street, 11th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 128:104-10. 2013....
- [Long-term prescription of benzodiazepines and non-benzodiazepines]U Verthein
Zentrum für Interdisziplinäre Suchtforschung der Universität Hamburg, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg
Gesundheitswesen 75:430-7. 2013..The majority of prescription drug-dependent people use benzodiazepines. This medication is usually prescribed by physicians and according to German guidelines it should be prescribed only for limited, short periods and in low doses...
- Oral intake of γ-aminobutyric acid affects mood and activities of central nervous system during stressed condition induced by mental tasksA Yoto
Laboratory of Nutritional Biochemistry and Global COE Program, University of Shizuoka, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, 52 1 Yada, Suruga ku, Shizuoka, Japan
Amino Acids 43:1331-7. 2012..That is to say, GABA might have alleviated the stress induced by the mental tasks. This effect also corresponded with the results of the POMS scores...
- Predicting patient tolerance of endoscopy with conscious sedationSimon Hazeldine
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Scand J Gastroenterol 45:1248-54. 2010..To evaluate the adequacy of benzodiazepine/opiate sedation for endoscopic procedures and to identify patient and procedure characteristics that may predict poor procedural tolerance...
- Risk of mortality associated with antipsychotic and other neuropsychiatric drugs in pneumonia patientsMitchell J Barnett
The Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice, Iowa City Veterans Administration Hospital, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:182-7. 2006..To evaluate the use of typical and atypical antipsychotic medications and associated in-hospital mortality in a group of Veterans Administration (VA) patients with pneumonia...
- Emotional impact of exposure to terrorism among young-old and old-old Israeli citizensAvraham Bleich
Israel Trauma Center for Victims of Terror and War NATAL, Tel Aviv, Israel
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13:705-12. 2005....
- The relationship between alcohol problems and use of tranquilizing drugs: longitudinal patterns among American womenK Graham
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Addiction Research Foundation Division, London, Ontario, Canada
Addict Behav 25:13-28. 2000..The link between alcohol problems and use of tranquilizing drugs needs to be investigated further to increase understanding of addictive behaviors...
- Coping with stress: its influence on periodontal diseaseGernot Wimmer
Department of Prosthetics and Periodontology, Karl Franzens University of Graz, School of Dental Medicine, Graz, Austria
J Periodontol 73:1343-51. 2002..Various forms of stress behavior were documented and in patients with periodontitis their relationship with periodontal disease was investigated...
- Case report: Etizolam and its major metabolites in two unnatural death casesTakuma Nakamae
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, International University of Health and Welfare, 2600 1 Kitakanemaru, Ohtawara, Tochigi 324 8501, Japan
Forensic Sci Int 182:e1-6. 2008..This method is satisfactory for clinical and forensic purposes. This method was applied to two unnatural death cases suspected to involve etizolam. Etizolam and its two metabolites were detected in these cases...
- Neonatal benzodiazepines exposure during breastfeedingLauren E Kelly
Schulich School of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr 161:448-51. 2012..To assess central nervous system depression and other adverse effects in infants exposed to benzodiazepines through breast milk...
- Determinants of health care use in chronic fatigue syndrome patients: a cross-sectional studyKorine Scheeres
Expert Centre Chronic Fatigue, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Psychosom Res 65:39-46. 2008..To reduce the related costs for patients and society, it will be useful to know which factors determine CFS patients' amount of health care use. Little is known, however, about these factors...
- Synthesis and biological activity of functionalized indole-2-carboxylates, triazino- and pyridazino-indolesAdel A El-Gendy
Organic Chemistry Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Arch Pharm (Weinheim) 341:294-300. 2008..The structures of the new compounds were confirmed by both analytical and spectral data. Some compounds were subjected to investigations concerning their antimicrobial, tranquilizing, and anticonvulsant activities...
- [Road safety under psychiatric drug targeting]A Brunnauer
Fachkrankenhaus für Psychiatrie, Psychotherapie, Psychosomatische Medizin und Neurologie, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 76:366-77. 2008
- [Management of the violent or agitated patient]Célia Mantovani
Divisão de Psiquiatria, Departamento de Neurociências e Ciências do Comportamento, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 32:S96-103. 2010..To review current data about the management of agitated or aggressive patients...
- Effect of visual art on patient anxiety and agitation in a mental health facility and implications for the business caseU Nanda
American Art Resources, Houston, TX, USA
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 18:386-93. 2011....
- Generic medications: another variable in the treatment of illnessesPierre Blier
J Psychopharmacol 21:459-60. 2007
- [Pharmacological treatment of post-traumatic behavioural disorders]I Richard
Service de médecine physique et réadaptation, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, rue des Capucins, BP 40329, 49103, Angers, France
Ann Readapt Med Phys 46:49-57. 2003..This review is limited to the treatment of agitation, excitation, mood lability, hostility and agressivity as defined by the NRS and excludes pharmacologic treatment of mental slowness, cognitive disorders and depression...
- Analysis of certain tranquilizers in biological fluidsM M Hefnawy
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Mansoura, Mansoura, Egypt
J Pharm Biomed Anal 27:661-78. 2002..The review includes the methods adapted in biological fluids...
- Periventricular leukomalacia and retinopathy in a term infant born to a mother with asthmaNina Hagwall
Department of Ophthalmology, Ryhov Hospital, Jonkoping, Sweden
Dev Med Child Neurol 48:301-3. 2006..g. severe maternal illness, IUGR, and cortisone treatment) in a term infant may create conditions for developing eye and brain pathologies commonly closely related to preterm birth should be considered...
- Development of a solid phase extraction method for simultaneous determination of corticoids and tranquilizers in serum samplesM Carmen Quintana
Departamento de Quimica Analitica y Analisis Instrumental, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco 28049, Madrid, Spain
J Sep Sci 27:53-8. 2004..Repeatability, evaluated as the relative standard deviation, was globally better than 12%. LC-MS was used for final confirmation of the results...
- Drug use in college students: a 13-year trendGabriela Arantes Wagner
Departamento de Psiquiatria, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 46:497-504. 2012..To analyze drug use trends among college students in 1996, 2001 and 2009...
- Acquired perforating dermatosis in patients with chronic renal failure and diabetes mellitusSeok Beom Hong
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 19:283-8. 2004..These data showed that scratching appear to play a critical part in the pathogenesis of APD...
- Effect of Erythrina velutina and Erythrina mulungu in rats submitted to animal models of anxiety and depressionM D Ribeiro
Departamento de Psicologia e Educação, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 39:263-70. 2006Erythrina velutina (EV) and Erythrina mulungu (EM), popularly used in Brazil as tranquilizing agents, were studied...
- The neuropsychiatric complications of glucocorticoid use: steroid psychosis revisitedAmelia N Dubovsky
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Psychosomatics 53:103-15. 2012..Glucocorticoids are widely prescribed for a variety of diseases and are known to cause neuropsychiatric as well as somatic side effects...
- A kinetic study on the phenothiazine dependent oxidation of NADH by bovine ceruloplasminRolf A Løvstad
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Institute Group of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, PO Box 1112, Blindern, N 0317, Oslo, Norway
Biometals 19:1-5. 2006..The data suggest that the enzyme-chlorpromazine complex has the best affinity for NADH. The stimulatory effect of levomepromazine closely followed that of promazine...
- Modulation of the human glucocorticoid receptor function by antidepressive compoundsMiho Okuyama-Tamura
Department of Psychiatry, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Neurosci Lett 342:206-10. 2003..These results indicate that structurally different antidepressants induce translocation of GR and inhibit GR-mediated transcription...
- Management of bipolar II disorder during pregnancy and the postpartum period--Motherisk Update 2008Verinder Sharma
Mood and Anxiety Program, Regional Mental Health Care, London, Ontario, Canada
Can J Clin Pharmacol 16:e33-41. 2009..This paper reviews the current literature on the diagnosis, and treatment of BP II and BP NOS during pregnancy and in the postpartum period and makes recommendations for the detection and treatment of these disorders...
- Pharmacologic treatment of bipolar disorder in children and adolescentsBenjamin I Goldstein
Departments of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 21:911-39. 2012..A clinical vignette describing a teen with bipolar disorder is presented and bipolar medications, dosing, efficacy, side effects, contraindications, and succinct comments on each medication are summarized...
- Interference between work and outside-work demands relative to health: unwinding possibilities among full-time and part-time employeesLotta Nylen
Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of Social Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Behav Med 14:229-36. 2007..Demands from work and home may interfere with one another and the stress engendered by that can be detrimental to health...
- Chemiluminescence and electrochemiluminescence detection of controlled drugsJacqui L Adcock
School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria 3217, Australia
Drug Test Anal 3:145-60. 2011....
- Concordance between psychotropic prescribing for veterans with PTSD and clinical practice guidelinesShaili Jain
National Center for PTSD, Sierra Pacific Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, Menlo Park, CA 94205, USA
Psychiatr Serv 63:154-60. 2012..This study aimed to determine which characteristics of veterans with diagnosed PTSD were associated with receiving prescriptions for benzodiazepines and mood stabilizers and second-generation antipsychotics...
- Nonprescribed use of tranquilizers or sedatives by adolescents: a Brazilian national surveyEmerita S Opaleye
Departamento de Psicobiologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Rua Botucatu, 862 1 andar, São Paulo CEP 04023 062, Brasil
BMC Public Health 13:499. 2013....
- Prevention of overlapping prescriptions of psychotropic drugs by community pharmacistsTakuya Shimane
Department of Drug Dependence Research, National Institute of Mental Health, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, 4 1 1 Ogawa Higashi, Kodaira, Tokyo 187 8553, Japan
Nihon Arukoru Yakubutsu Igakkai Zasshi 47:202-10. 2012..Therefore, it may be appropriate to regulate etizolam as a "psychotropic drug" under Japanese law, thus setting a limit on the period for which it can be prescribed in order to help prevent long-term and overlapping prescriptions...
- [Loss of visual acuity after treatment with pipamperone]D Loos
Klinik und Poliklinik für Augenheilkunde, Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Deutschland
Ophthalmologe 108:763-5. 2011..We present the case of a young women suffering from unilateral loss of visual acuity after treatment with pipamperone...
- PHYSICOCHEMISTRY AND IMMUNOLOGY OF MACROMOLECULESJOHN CANN; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- Nonmedical Prescription Drug Use among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Findings from this research will have important implications for the understanding of the epidemiology, prevention and treatment of prescription drug abuse. ..
- Prescription Drug Abuse Among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Protective Influence of Residential Learning CommunitiesSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2006..At each measurement point, participants will complete a set of measures that assess substance use behaviors and constructs addressed by RLCs. ..
- Epidemiology of Prescription Drug Abuse in the United StatesSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will help identify risk factors for substance abuse. Most importantly, the findings will provide guidance for the prevention, assessment, and treatment of prescription drug abuse. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sexual Orientation, Substance Use and Mental HealthSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CONTINUITY OF CARE & OUTCOME OF SEVERE MENTAL DISORDERSRamin Mojtabai; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Intestinal Disposition of Chemoprevention AgentsThomas Cook; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanistic Studies on the Disposition of Farnesol with Single and Multiple DosinThomas Cook; Fiscal Year: 2007..SA2: Determine the intestinal disposition and intestinal tissue kinetics of farnesol in Fisher F344 rats. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..