Genomes and Genes
Summary: Drugs that block nerve conduction when applied locally to nerve tissue in appropriate concentrations. They act on any part of the nervous system and on every type of nerve fiber. In contact with a nerve trunk, these anesthetics can cause both sensory and motor paralysis in the innervated area. Their action is completely reversible. (From Gilman AG, et. al., Goodman and Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 8th ed) Nearly all local anesthetics act by reducing the tendency of voltage-dependent sodium channels to activate.
Publications253 found, 100 shown here
- Tetrodotoxin-resistant action potentials in dorsal root ganglion neurons are blocked by local anestheticsA Scholz
Physiologisches Institut, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Aulweg 129, D 35392, Giessen, Germany
Pain 89:47-52. 2000..suggest that TTX-resistant Na(+) channels in the peripheral nervous system are less sensitive to local anesthetics than TTX-sensitive Na(+) channels...
- Multimodal analgesia with gabapentin and local anesthetics prevents acute and chronic pain after breast surgery for cancerArgyro Fassoulaki
Department of Anesthesiology, Aretaieion Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Anesth Analg 101:1427-32. 2005..scheduled for breast cancer surgery were blindly randomized to receive gabapentin, eutectic mixture of local anesthetics cream, and ropivacaine in the wound or three placebos...
- Inhibition of nociceptors by TRPV1-mediated entry of impermeant sodium channel blockersAlexander M Binshtok
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Nature 449:607-10. 2007....
- The vanilloid receptor TRPV1 is activated and sensitized by local anesthetics in rodent sensory neuronsAndreas Leffler
Department of Anesthesiology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Invest 118:763-76. 2008b>Local anesthetics (LAs) block the generation and propagation of action potentials by interacting with specific sites of voltage-gated Na(+) channels...
- Capsaicin combined with local anesthetics preferentially prolongs sensory/nociceptive block in rat sciatic nervePeter Gerner
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative, and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Anesthesiology 109:872-8. 2008..05% capsaicin, in a rat sciatic nerve block model...
- Cytotoxicity of local anesthetics in human neuronal cellsRosalia Perez-Castro
Department of Anesthesiology, NYU School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Anesth Analg 108:997-1007. 2009In addition to inhibiting the excitation conduction process in peripheral nerves, local anesthetics (LAs) cause toxic effects on the central nervous system, cardiovascular system, neuromuscular junction, and cell metabolism...
- Molecular determinants of state-dependent block of Na+ channels by local anestheticsD S Ragsdale
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Science 265:1724-8. 1994..The results define the location of the local anesthetic receptor site in the pore of the Na+ channel and identify molecular determinants of the state-dependent binding of local anesthetics.
- An update on local anesthetics in dentistryDaniel A Haas
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Can Dent Assoc 68:546-51. 2002b>Local anesthetics are the most commonly used drugs in dentistry. This article provides a brief update on the pharmacology, adverse effects and clinical applications of these drugs, as well as the role of vasoconstrictors.
- Local infiltration analgesia: a technique for the control of acute postoperative pain following knee and hip surgery: a case study of 325 patientsDennis R Kerr
Joint Orthopaedic Centre, New South Wales, Australia
Acta Orthop 79:174-83. 2008..The technique allows virtually immediate mobilization and earlier discharge from hospital...
- Serious complications of local anaesthesia for cataract surgery: a 1 year national survey in the United KingdomTom Eke
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Trust, Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UY, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 91:470-5. 2007..The techniques of sub-Tenon's, topical and topical-intracameral local anaesthesia (LA) have become common in routine practice...
- Factors affecting the distribution of neural blockade by local anesthetics in epidural anesthesia and a comparison of lumbar versus thoracic epidural anesthesiaW Anton Visser
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care and Pain Management, Amphia Hospital, PO Box 90157, 4800 RL Breda, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 107:708-21. 2008..Based on these results, we have also formulated suggested epidural insertion sites that may optimize both analgesia and sympathicolysis for various surgical indications...
- Pharmacology, toxicology, and clinical use of new long acting local anesthetics, ropivacaine and levobupivacaineStefania Leone
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Therapy, University Hospital of Parma, Parma, Italy
Acta Biomed 79:92-105. 2008Levobupivacaine and ropivacaine, two new long-acting local anesthetics, have been developed as an alternative to bupivacaine, after the evidence of its severe toxicity...
- Systemic administration of local anesthetics to relieve neuropathic pain: a systematic review and meta-analysisIvo W Tremont-Lukats
Department of Neurology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Anesth Analg 101:1738-49. 2005We reviewed randomized controlled trials to determine the efficacy and safety of systemically administered local anesthetics compared with placebo or active drugs...
- Clonidine as an adjuvant to local anesthetics for peripheral nerve and plexus blocks: a meta-analysis of randomized trialsDaniel M Pöpping
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
Anesthesiology 111:406-15. 2009The effect of adding clonidine to local anesthetics for nerve or plexus blocks remains unclear...
- High-dose local infiltration analgesia after hip and knee replacement--what is it, why does it work, and what are the future challenges?Tord Röstlund
Acta Orthop 78:159-61. 2007
- In vitro, inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways protects against bupivacaine- and ropivacaine-induced neurotoxicityPhilipp Lirk
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstr 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Anesth Analg 106:1456-64, table of contents. 2008..step in lidocaine neurotoxicity, but this has not been investigated in the case of two very widely used local anesthetics, bupivacaine and ropivacaine...
- Electrostatic contributions of aromatic residues in the local anesthetic receptor of voltage-gated sodium channelsChristopher A Ahern
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Hyperexcitability, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Circ Res 102:86-94. 2008Antiarrhythmics, anticonvulsants, and local anesthetics target voltage-gated sodium channels, decreasing excitability of nerve and muscle cells...
- Efficacy of continuous wound catheters delivering local anesthetic for postoperative analgesia: a quantitative and qualitative systematic review of randomized controlled trialsSpencer S Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital for Special Surgery and the Weill College of Medicine of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Am Coll Surg 203:914-32. 2006
- A multimodal analgesia protocol for total knee arthroplasty. A randomized, controlled studyPascal André Vendittoli
Orthopaedic Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, 5345 Boul L Assomption, Suite 55, Montreal, Quebec H1T 4B3, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:282-9. 2006..b>Local anesthetics have the advantage of blocking pain conduction at its origin and minimizing the systemic side effects ..
- Selective nerve root blocks for the treatment of sciatica: evaluation of injection site and effectiveness--a study with patients and cadaversC W Pfirrmann
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Balgrist, Forchstrasse 340, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Radiology 221:704-11. 2001..To relate different types of radiographic contrast material distributions to anatomic compartments by using cadaveric specimens and to relate the injection site to treatment-induced discomfort and therapeutic effect...
- Postoperative analgesia in total hip arthroplasty: a randomized double-blinded, placebo-controlled study on peroperative and postoperative ropivacaine, ketorolac, and adrenaline wound infiltrationLasse Juel Andersen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Odense University Hospital, Middelfart, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:187-92. 2007..Comfort and lack of pain are important for optimal mobilization after hip replacement. We investigated the efficacy of double wound infiltration...
- Pharmacokinetics and efficacy of ropivacaine continuous wound instillation after joint replacement surgeryM Bianconi
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, St Anna Hospital Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Br J Anaesth 91:830-5. 2003....
- Bupivacaine induces apoptosis via ROS in the Schwann cell lineC J Park
Department of Dental Anesthesiology and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Dentistry, 28 Yongon dong Chongno gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
J Dent Res 84:852-7. 2005b>Local anesthetics have been generally accepted as being safe. However, recent clinical trials and basic studies have provided strong evidence for the neurotoxicity of local anesthetics, especially through apoptosis...
- The effect of local anesthetics on the inhibition of adult muscle-type nicotinic acetylcholine receptors by nondepolarizing muscle relaxantsHong Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, First People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Eur J Pharmacol 630:29-33. 2010The primary action of local anesthetics is to inhibit voltage-gated Na(+) channels. However, local anesthetics also have an inhibitory effect on muscle-type nicotinic acetylcholine receptors...
- Local anestheticsJames E Heavner
Department of Anesthesiology and Physiology, Texas Technology University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 20:336-42. 2007b>Local anesthetics are used in a wide range of clinical situations to prevent acute pain and to stop or ameliorate pain produced by cancer or pain associated with chronic painful conditions...
- Local anesthetics: dentistry's most important drugs, clinical update 2006Stanley F Malamed
University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 34:971-6. 2006b>Local anesthetics are the safest most effective drugs in medicine for the control and management of pain. They also represent the most important drugs in dentistry...
- Update on local anestheticsAlain Borgeat
Department of Anesthesiology, Balgrist University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 23:466-71. 2010b>Local anesthetics are not only used as drugs to block the sodium channel to provide analgesia and antiarrhythmic action. The purpose of this review is to highlight the new indications and limitations of this class of drugs.
- Reduced hospital stay, morphine consumption, and pain intensity with local infiltration analgesia after unicompartmental knee arthroplastyPer Essving
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:213-9. 2009..The degree of postoperative pain is usually moderate to severe following knee arthroplasty. We investigated the efficacy of local administration of analgesics into the operating area, both intraoperatively and postoperatively...
- Amide local anesthetics potently inhibit the human tandem pore domain background K+ channel TASK-2 (KCNK5)Christoph H Kindler
Attending Physician, Department of Anesthesia, University Clinics, Kantonsspital, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 306:84-92. 2003Blockade of voltage-gated sodium (Na+) channels by local anesthetics represents the main mechanism for inhibition of impulse propagation...
- Anti-inflammatory properties of local anesthetics and their present and potential clinical implicationsJ Cassuto
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care and Institution of Surgical Specialties, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Molndal, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:265-82. 2006..It is well established and well documented that the nerve blocking effects of local anesthetics are secondary to their interaction with the Na+ channels thereby blocking nerve membrane excitability and ..
- A new method of preemptive analgesia in laparoscopic cholecystectomyU Maestroni
Department of Surgery, Anaesthsiology, and Radiology, University of Ferrara, C so Giovecca 203, Ferrara, Italy
Surg Endosc 16:1336-40. 2002..Although laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) results in less pain then open cholecystectomy, it is not a pain-free procedure. The aim of this study was to test a new method of preemptive analgesia...
- Acute toxicity of local anesthetics: underlying pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic conceptsLaurence E Mather
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, University of Sydney at Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, NSW 2065, Australia
Reg Anesth Pain Med 30:553-66. 2005..This essay presents some pharmacokinetic aspects relevant to acute toxicity of local anesthetics, mainly using data from the authors' studies in a sheep model of simulated accidental intravenous ..
- Local anesthetics noncompetitively inhibit function of four distinct nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtypesC L Gentry
Division of Neurobiology, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 299:1038-48. 2001b>Local anesthetics (LAs) are considered to act primarily by inhibiting voltage-gated Na(+) channels. However, LAs also are pharmacologically active at other ion channels including nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChR)...
- Local anesthetics in dentistryAdolfo Pipa-Vallejo
Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Oviedo, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 9:440-3; 438-40. 2004The purpose of the present paper is to carry out a review of the literature on local anesthetics (LAs), which are the most commonly used drugs in dentistry...
- Molecular modeling of local anesthetic drug binding by voltage-gated sodium channelsGregory M Lipkind
Department of Biochemitsry and Molecular Biology, The University of Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mol Pharmacol 68:1611-22. 2005..The open, activated channel creates the high-affinity binding site for these sodium channel blocker drugs, and block may be mainly electrostatic...
- Long-acting local anesthetics in dentistryA L Sisk
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, Augusta 30912
Anesth Prog 39:53-60. 1992Long-acting local anesthetics have proved to be effective for the suppression of both intraoperative and postoperative pain...
- Point mutations at N434 in D1-S6 of mu1 Na(+) channels modulate binding affinity and stereoselectivity of local anesthetic enantiomersC Nau
Department of Anesthesia Research Laboratories, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Mol Pharmacol 56:404-13. 1999Voltage-gated Na(+) channels are the primary targets of local anesthetics (LAs). Amino acid residues in domain 4, transmembrane segment 6 (D4-S6) form part of the LA binding site. LAs inhibit binding of the neurotoxin batrachotoxin (BTX)...
- Optimizing local anesthesia during 10-core biopsy of the prostateM Schostak
Department of Urology, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Urology 60:253-7. 2002..Reports thus far have shown a high variability in assessing the pain intensity of prostate biopsies and the effectiveness of anesthesia...
- Comparison of peri- and intraarticular analgesia with femoral nerve block after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trialKaren Toftdahl
Department of Anesthesiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:172-9. 2007Postoperative pain after total knee arthroplasty (TKA) can be difficult to manage and may delay recovery. Recent studies have suggested that periarticular infiltration with local anesthetics may improve outcome.
- Enhancement of hyperthermia-induced apoptosis by local anesthetics on human histiocytic lymphoma U937 cellsYoko Arai
Department of Public Health and Radiological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:18986-93. 2002The combined effects of hyperthermia at 44 degrees C and local anesthetics on apoptosis in human histiocytic lymphoma U937 cells were investigated...
- Bupivacaine myotoxicity is mediated by mitochondriaWilliam Irwin
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Padova and the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Units for the Study of Muscle Pathophysiology and Biomembranes, Viale Giuseppe Colombo 3, I 35121 Padova, Italy
J Biol Chem 277:12221-7. 2002....
- Preliminary results of a randomized, equivalence trial of fluoroscopic caudal epidural injections in managing chronic low back pain: Part 3--Post surgery syndromeLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 11:817-31. 2008..There is lack of evidence for the effectiveness of epidural injections in managing chronic low back pain with or without lower extremity pain secondary to post surgery syndrome...
- Drug delivery systems for local anestheticsEneida de Paula
Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Recent Pat Drug Deliv Formul 4:23-34. 2010..Drug delivery systems for local anesthetics (LA) have attracted researchers due to many biomedical advantages associated to their application...
- Preliminary results of a randomized, equivalence trial of fluoroscopic caudal epidural injections in managing chronic low back pain: Part 4--Spinal stenosisLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 11:833-48. 2008....
- Transient neurologic symptoms after spinal anesthesia with lidocaine versus other local anesthetics: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trialsDusanka Zaric
Department of Anesthesiology, Frederiksberg Hospital, Ndr Fasanvej 57, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Anesth Analg 100:1811-6. 2005..of 1) TNS and 2) neurologic complications after spinal anesthesia with lidocaine with that after other local anesthetics. Published trials were identified by computerized searches of The Cochrane Library, MEDLINE, LILAC, and ..
- Contralateral paw sensitization following injection of endothelin-1: effects of local anesthetics differentiate peripheral and central processesA Khodorova
Department of Anesthesiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115 6110, USA
Neuroscience 165:553-60. 2010..These findings suggest that peripheral ET-1 actions lead to central sensitization that alters responses to selected stimuli...
- Interactions of local anesthetics with voltage-gated Na+ channelsC Nau
Department of Anesthesiology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Membr Biol 201:1-8. 2004..b>Local anesthetics (LAs) and structurally related antiarrhythmic and anticonvulsant compounds target specific sites in voltage-..
- The poor man's epidural: systemic local anesthetics for improving postoperative outcomesMarkus W Hollmann
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Heidelberg, INF 110, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Med Hypotheses 63:386-9. 2004..Epidurally administered local anesthetics prevent or modulate many of these processes...
- Diagnostic lumbosacral segmental nerve blocks with local anesthetics: a prospective double-blind study on the variability and interpretation of segmental effectsA P Wolff
Pain Centre, Department of Anaesthesiology, Bernhoven Hospital, Oss, The Netherlands
Reg Anesth Pain Med 26:147-55. 2001..exist between areas of hypesthesia, spontaneous pain reported by the patient, pain reduction by local anesthetics, and paresthesias elicited by sensory electrostimulation...
- Mechanisms underlying combined action of clonidine and local anestheticsV P Ponomarev
Krasnodar Research Center, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Krasnodar Krai Administration, Moscow
Bull Exp Biol Med 136:53-5. 2003We studied the mechanisms of combined action of clonidine and local anesthetics amethocaine and imidazo-benzimidazole derivative RU-1117...
- Long-acting local anesthetics and perioperative pain managementSharon M Gordon
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Dent Clin North Am 54:611-20. 2010Although the use of long-acting local anesthetics has become a useful therapeutic approach for managing peri- and postoperative pain, recent evidence reveals unexpected outcomes...
- Dental local anesthetics: alternative delivery methodsPatricia L Blanton
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Baylor College of Dentistry, The Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Dallas, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 134:228-34. 2003..The objective of this review is to examine the basis for each method's application in dentistry, including scientific studies where available...
- Molecular and physicochemical aspects of local anesthetics acting on nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-containing membranesHugo R Arias
Departments of Pharmacology and Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock 79430, USA
Mini Rev Med Chem 2:385-410. 2002b>Local anesthetics inhibit the ion channel activity of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in a noncompetitive fashion...
- Thermal effect of sonophoresis for accelerating the analgesic effect of local anesthetics on rat tail nerveYi Hui Wu
Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2008:2504-7. 2008Sonophoresis is an ultrasound transdermal drugs delivery system. The eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA) has been used clinically for anesthesia but requires at least one hour to take effect and lacks of analgesia's objective ..
- Local anesthetics after total knee arthroplasty: intraarticular or extraarticular administration? A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyLasse Ø Andersen
Departments of Anesthesiology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Orthop 79:800-5. 2008..e. intraarticular or extraarticular) has not been evaluated...
- Effects of local anesthetics on opioid inhibition of calcium current in rat dorsal root ganglion neuronsHirochika Komai
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin Madison, WI 53762 3272, United States
Neurosci Lett 418:298-303. 2007Neuraxial analgesia is often provided using a mixture of local anesthetics and opioids. This combination of agents provides better pain relief and is generally associated with fewer side effects than when either drug is given alone...
- Ventricular arrhythmias with or without programmed electrical stimulation after incremental overdosage with lidocaine, bupivacaine, levobupivacaine, and ropivacaineL Groban
Department of Anesthesiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1009, USA
Anesth Analg 91:1103-11. 2000..Open-chest dogs were randomized to receive escalating incremental infusions of the four local anesthetics until cardiovascular collapse. We assumed a concentration relationship of 4:1 for LIDO/BUP, LBUP, and ROP...
- To compare the efficacy of two doses of intraperitoneal bupivacaine for pain relief after operative laparoscopy in gynecologyNeena Malhotra
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Arch Gynecol Obstet 276:323-6. 2007..To evaluate the effect of two doses of intraperitoneal bupivacaine administration for pain relief after operative gynecological laparoscopy...
- Local anesthetics and medically complex patientsA W Budenz
Department of Diagnosis and Management, University of the Pacific School of Dentistry, 2155 Webster St, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 28:611-9. 2000..This paper will review a variety of disease entities as well as potential drug interactions pertinent to the use of local anesthetic agents in medically complex patients...
- Inhibition of the Na,K-ATPase of canine renal medulla by several local anestheticsH Kutchai
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics, School of Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Pharmacol Res 43:399-403. 2001..4 mM). This study supports the interpretation that the uncharged forms of local anesthetics are much more potent inhibitors of Na,K-ATPase activity than the cationic forms.
- A clinical study to evaluate the efficacy of ELA-Max (4% liposomal lidocaine) as compared with eutectic mixture of local anesthetics cream for pain reduction of venipuncture in childrenLawrence F Eichenfield
Division of Pediatric and Adolescent Dermatology, Children s Hospital, San Diego, California, USA
Pediatrics 109:1093-9. 2002..performed to assess the efficacy of ELA-Max (4% liposomal lidocaine) as compared with eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA) for pain relief during pediatric venipuncture procedures...
- Airway anesthesia alone does not explain attenuation of histamine-induced bronchospasm by local anesthetics: a comparison of lidocaine, ropivacaine, and dyclonineH Groeben
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Universitat Essen, Germany
Anesthesiology 94:423-8; discussion 5A-6A. 2001..Therefore, the authors tested the effect of dyclonine, lidocaine, and ropivacaine inhalation on histamine-induced bronchospasm in 15 volunteers with bronchial hyperreactivity...
- The neurotoxicity of local anesthetics on growing neurons: a comparative study of lidocaine, bupivacaine, mepivacaine, and ropivacaineInas A M Radwan
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimatology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Anesth Analg 94:319-24, table of contents. 2002b>Local anesthetics can be neurotoxic...
- Structural and electrophysiological effects of local anesthetics and of low temperature on myelinated nerves: implication of the lipid chains in nerve excitabilityV Luzzati
Centre de Genetique Moleculaire, Laboratoire propre du CNRS, associé à l Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Gif sur Yvette, 91198, France
J Mol Biol 286:1389-402. 1999..Also, since local anesthetics act by inhibiting the Na+ channels, these observations suggest that the acyl chain conformation modulates ..
- Modifying the baricity of local anesthetics for spinal anesthesia by temperature adjustment: model calculationsAxel R Heller
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden, Germany
Anesthesiology 105:346-53. 2006Although local anesthetics (LAs) are hyperbaric at room temperature, density drops within minutes after administration into the subarachnoid space...
- Magnesium sulfate diminishes the effects of amide local anesthetics in rat sciatic-nerve blockYu Chun Hung
Department of Anesthesiology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Reg Anesth Pain Med 32:288-95. 2007..However, the effects of MgSO(4) combined with local anesthetics (LAs) on peripheral nerves are unclear...
- Long-term pain control in trigeminal neuralgia with local anesthetics using an indwelling catheter in the mandibular nerveMasahiro Umino
Section of Anesthesiology and Clinical Physiology, Department of Oral Restitution, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Clin J Pain 18:196-9. 2002The authors sought to determine the usefulness of long-term continuous trigeminal nerve block with local anesthetics using an indwelling catheter in a patient with trigeminal neuralgia.
- Down-regulation of norepinephrine transporter expression on membrane surface induced by chronic administration of desipramine and the antagonism by co-administration of local anesthetics in miceL Song
Department of Dental Pharmacology, Division of Integrated Medical Science, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Science, Kasumi 1 2 3, Mimami ku, Hiroshima 734 8553, Japan
Neurochem Int 52:826-33. 2008..desipramine, a norepinephrine transporter (NET) inhibitor to mice markedly enhanced convulsions induced by local anesthetics and that behavioral sensitization may be relevant to decreased [(3)H]norepinephrine uptake by the isolated ..
- Do local anesthetics have antibacterial effect on Staphylococcus aureus under in vivo conditions? An experimental studyA Aydan Kose
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Eskisehir Osmangazi University Medical School, Eskisehir, Turkey
Dermatol Surg 36:848-52. 2010..The antimicrobial properties against Staphylococcus aureus of some common local anesthetic preparations such as prilocaine, bupivacaine, articaine, and combinations were evaluated in a live rat surgical wound model...
- Local anesthetics in lipid-depot formulations--neurotoxicity in relation to duration of effect in a rat modelHenrik Dyhre
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:401-8. 2006The aim of this study was to investigate the possible local neurotoxicity of a number of lipid-depot formulations of local anesthetics in relation to their duration of action in sciatic-nerve block.
- Is chemical incompatibility responsible for chondrocyte death induced by local anesthetics?Michael T Bogatch
Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Am J Sports Med 38:520-6. 2010Chondrolysis associated with intra-articular administration of local anesthetics has been attributed to chondrocyte death induced by the local anesthetics. The mechanism of how the local anesthetics cause chondrocyte death is not clear.
- Cross-reactivity among amide-type local anesthetics in a case of allergy to mepivacaineP Gonzalez-Delgado
Sección Alergia, Hospital General de Alicante, Aliccante, Spain
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 16:311-3. 2006Among the various adverse reactions to local anesthetics, IgE-mediated reactions, particularly to the more commonly used amide group, are extremely rare...
- Role of local anesthetics on both cholinergic and serotonergic ionotropic receptorsH R Arias
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquimicas de Bahia Blanca, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas, Universidad Nacional del Sur, Argentina
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 23:817-43. 1999A great body of experimental evidence indicates that the main target for the pharmacological action of local anesthetics (LAs) is the voltage-gated Na+ channel...
- The effects of local anesthetics on perioperative coagulation, inflammation, and microcirculationKlaus Hahnenkamp
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48129 Muenster, Germany
Anesth Analg 94:1441-7. 2002
- Anaphylactic reactions to local anestheticsJohannes Ring
Department of Dermatology and Allergy Biederstein, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Chem Immunol Allergy 95:190-200. 2010b>Local anesthetics (LA) are common elicitors of adverse reactions and the clinical symptoms often correspond to anaphylaxis with tachycardia, hypotension and subjective feelings of weakness, heat or vertigo...
- Transdermal delivery of hydrophobic and hydrophilic local anesthetics from o/w and w/o Brij 97-based microemulsionsVaraporn Buraphacheep Junyaprasert
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
J Pharm Pharm Sci 10:288-98. 2007....
- [Local anesthetics. Differences and similarities in the "-cains"]A Dullenkopf
Abteilung Anästhesie, Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
Anaesthesist 52:329-40. 2003b>Local anesthetics provoke reversible blockade of nerves by interaction with sodium channels in membranes of nerves...
- Direct inhibition of microtubule-based kinesin motility by local anestheticsY Miyamoto
Department of Anesthesiology, Osaka University Medical School, Osaka 565 0871, USA
Biophys J 78:940-9. 2000b>Local anesthetics are known to inhibit neuronal fast anterograde axoplasmic transport (FAAT) in a reversible and dose-dependent manner, but the precise mechanism has not been determined...
- Interaction of local anesthetics with a peptide encompassing the IV/S4-S5 linker of the Na+ channelLeonardo F Fraceto
Center of Molecular and Structural Biology, LNLS, Campinas, Brazil Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
Biophys Chem 123:29-39. 2006..The interaction of two local anesthetics (LA), lidocaine and benzocaine, with pIV/S4-S5 has been studied by DOSY, heteronuclear NMR 1H-15N-HSQC ..
- [Cervical epidural anesthesia for upper extremity surgery using three different formulations of local anesthetics]Uriah Guevara-López
Division de Investigacion, UMAE Magdalena de las Salinas, IMSS, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran
Cir Cir 73:273-81. 2005..To evaluate the efficiency and safety of the cervical epidural blockade (CEB) in upper extremity surgery, using lidocaine 2%, bupivacaine 5% and a mixture of both local analgesics...
- Local anesthetics disrupt energetic coupling between the voltage-sensing segments of a sodium channelYukiko Muroi
Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Gen Physiol 133:1-15. 2009b>Local anesthetics block sodium channels in a state-dependent fashion, binding with higher affinity to open and/or inactivated states...
- Local anesthetics induce chondrocyte death in bovine articular cartilage disks in a dose- and duration-dependent mannerIan K Y Lo
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Arthroscopy 25:707-15. 2009The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of various local anesthetics on chondrocyte viability in articular cartilage by use of a bovine disk model.
- Relative neural toxicity of local anestheticsM W Kalichman
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego 92093 9151
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 52:234-40. 1993..relative neural toxicity and relative motor nerve conduction blockade were assessed for two amide-linked local anesthetics (etidocaine and lidocaine) and two ester-linked local anesthetics (chloroprocaine and procaine)...
- Influence of local anesthetics on the neuromuscular blockade produced by rocuronium: effects of lidocaine and 50% enantiomeric excess bupivacaine on the neuromuscular junctionAngélica de Fátima de Assunção Braga
Departamento de Anestesiologia da FCM UNICAMP, Campinas, SP
Rev Bras Anestesiol 59:725-34. 2009The effects of local anesthetics (LA) on neuromuscular transmission and their influence on the neuromuscular blockade produced by competitive neuromuscular blockers have not been fully investigated...
- Low-dose combined spinal-epidural anesthesia for cesarean delivery: a comparison of three plain local anestheticsH C Coppejans
Dept of Anesthesia, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 57:39-43. 2006The new local anesthetics have been poorly studied for intrathecal use during Cesarean section surely in low doses and in combination with an opioid substance...
- Post-laparoscopic cholecystectomy pain: effects of intraperitoneal local anesthetics on pain control--a randomized prospective double-blinded placebo-controlled trialBestoun H Ahmed
Department of General Surgery, University of Florida, Jacksonville, Florida 32209, USA
Am Surg 74:201-9. 2008..Lignocaine was the most efficacious local anesthetic in this trial and has a high safety profile when used at recommended doses...
- Sensory and motor complications of local anestheticsPeter Gerner
Muscle Nerve 37:421-5. 2008
- Procaine and mepivacaine have less toxicity in vitro than other clinically used local anestheticsToshiharu Kasaba
Department of Anesthesiology, Miyazaki Medical College, Kiyotake cho, Japan
Anesth Analg 97:85-90, table of contents. 2003The neurotoxicity of local anesthetics can be demonstrated in vitro by the collapse of growth cones and neurites in cultured neurons...
- The site of action of epidural fentanyl infusions in the presence of local anesthetics: a minimum local analgesic concentration infusion study in nulliparous laborYehuda Ginosar
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Hadassah Hebrew University School of Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Anesth Analg 97:1439-45. 2003We have previously demonstrated that continuous epidural infusions of fentanyl without local anesthetics elicit analgesia by a systemic mechanism...
- Fundamental properties of local anesthetics: half-maximal blocking concentrations for tonic block of Na+ and K+ channels in peripheral nerveM E Bräu
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Anesth Analg 87:885-9. 1998b>Local anesthetics suppress excitability by interfering with ion channel function...
- The effect of insulin on the resuscitation of bupivacaine-induced severe cardiovascular toxicity in dogsJin Tae Kim
Department of Anesthesiology, Seoul National University Hospital, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul, Korea 110 744
Anesth Analg 99:728-33, table of contents. 2004..In conclusion, severe bupivacaine-induced cardiovascular collapse in dogs was effectively reversed with the insulin treatment...
- Epinephrine-supplemented local anesthetics for ear and nose surgery: clinical use without complications in more than 10,000 surgical proceduresHans Martin Häfner
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Tubingen, Liebermeisterstr 25, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 3:195-9. 2005b>Local anesthetics supplemented with epinephrine are generally regarded as contraindicated for surgical procedures involving the fingers, toes, penis, outer ear and the tip of the nose , but epinephrine is essential if automated ..
- Transdermal analgesia with local anesthetics in children: review, update and future directionsConstance S Houck
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 5:625-34. 2005Topical local anesthetics in one form or another have been used for the past 20 years to alleviate the skin pain associated with needle puncture and venous cannulation in children...
- Local anesthetics as antimicrobial agents: a reviewSvena M Johnson
I Flow Corporation, Lake Forest, CA, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 9:205-13. 2008Since the introduction of cocaine in 1884, local anesthetics have been used as a mainstay of pain management...
- The cardiotoxicity of local anesthetics: the place of ropivacaineB M Graf
Department of of Anaesthesiology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Curr Top Med Chem 1:207-14. 2001..have a well-defined role as safe and effective methods in modern anesthesia and analgesia with long-acting local anesthetics. Recent studies have shown that the incidence of intoxication by these drugs is a rare but catastrophic ..
- Possible mechanism of irreversible nerve injury caused by local anesthetics: detergent properties of local anesthetics and membrane disruptionNorihito Kitagawa
Department of Anesthesiology, Saga Medical School, Nabeshima, Saga, Japan
Anesthesiology 100:962-7. 2004Irreversible nerve injury may result from neural membrane lysis due to the detergent properties of local anesthetics. This study aimed to investigate whether local anesthetics display the same properties as detergents and whether they ..
- The effects of general anesthesia on whole body and regional pharmacokinetics of local anesthetics at toxic dosesSusan E Copeland
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, University of Sydney at Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney NSW 2065, Australia
Anesth Analg 106:1440-9, table of contents. 2008..In this study, we determined the influence of general anesthesia on the pharmacokinetics of six local anesthetics administered i.v. at approximately the highest recommended doses.
- The effects of general anesthesia on the central nervous and cardiovascular system toxicity of local anestheticsSusan E Copeland
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, University of Sydney at Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney NSW 2065, Australia
Anesth Analg 106:1429-39, table of contents. 2008..We determined the influence of halothane/O(2) anesthesia on cardiovascular and central nervous system (CNS) toxic responses to six amide-type local anesthetics administered i.v..
- Immediate- and delayed-type allergic reactions to amide local anesthetics: clinical features and skin testingRegis Fuzier
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie Medicale et Clinique, Unité de Pharmacoépidémiologie EA3696, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Toulouse, Universite Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:595-601. 2009..Among them, allergic reactions are considered rare. The aim of this study was to describe the main characteristics of ADRs induced by amide type local anesthetic drugs...
- Local anesthetics have a major impact on viability of preadipocytes and their differentiation into adipocytesMaike Keck
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Medical University Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Plast Reconstr Surg 126:1500-5. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of different local anesthetics frequently used in clinical practice on the viability of preadipocytes and their ability to differentiate ..
- Is there a place for local anesthetics structurally different from classical amid or ester local anesthetics?Vladimir Vegh
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 19:509-15. 2006The aim of this review is to describe the pharmacology, toxicology and chemistry of the new group of local anesthetics of phenylcarbamic acid type.
- Anesthetic Action: Molecular Substrates &Neural MechanismsDouglas A Bayliss; Fiscal Year: 2013..underlying Specific Aim 2, which derives from new preliminary data, is that inhibition of TASK channels by local anesthetics contributes to their deleterious effects...
- Local anesthetic receptor in peripheral Na+ channelsGING K WANG; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Local anesthetics (LAs) block voltage-gated Na+ channels and impede both motor and sensory functions reversibly during local anesthesia...
- Central mechanisms of maintenance of orofacial pain after injuryAsaf Keller; Fiscal Year: 2013..months, and the inflammation due to the surgical procedure can be separated with the use of long-duration local anesthetics. Our major hypothesis is that tissue and nerve injury in the orofacial region can lead to the maintenance of ..
- Selective targeting of sodium channel blockers to pain-sensing neuronsBruce P Bean; Fiscal Year: 2012..The most effective form of pain relief without loss of consciousness is provided by administration of local anesthetics, which act by inhibiting voltage-dependent sodium channels and thereby depressing electrical excitability...
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADaniel S Kohane; Fiscal Year: 2013..The purpose of this research is to develop particulate prolonged duration local anesthetics (PDLA) employing site 1 sodium channel blockers such as saxitoxin (STX)...
- Insecticide Action at the Local Anesthetic ReceptorDavid M Soderlund; Fiscal Year: 2011..g., local anesthetics, antiarrhythmics, anticonvulsants, neuroprotectants and analgesics) that bind to the "local anesthetic ..
- Back pain Outcomes using Longitudinal Data (BOLD)Jeffrey G Jarvik; Fiscal Year: 2010..spinal stenosis to evaluate the effectiveness, cost and safety of combined epidural steroid injections and local anesthetics compared with local anesthetic injections alone, and 2) a prospective observational cohort study of early ..
- Development and Evaluation of an Online Dental Student Alcohol CurriculumPeter M Miller; Fiscal Year: 2012..structure, periodontal disease, salivary gland disease, caries (cavities), and adverse drug reactions to local anesthetics and analgesics. Oral and pharyngeal cancer kills ~8,000 Americans each year...
- Actions of Local Anesthetics on NMDA ReceptorsMeaghan Paganelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent evidence supports an inhibitory effect of local anesthetics on NMDA receptors, however, little is known as to the mechanism by which this inhibition occurs...
- Sodium channels and electrogenesis in sensory neuronsTheodore R Cummins; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) Determine if resurgent currents are sensitive to modulation by local anesthetics, anti-convulsants and other agents that target voltage-gated sodium channels...
- University of Utah Pediatric Pharmacology Research UnitRobert Ward; Fiscal Year: 2009..A third study will determine the systemic exposure to local anesthetics contained in the S-Caine topical local anesthetic patch.
- Finding effective treatments for inhaled chlorine-induced injury related painTimothy J Ness; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our recent data show that there may be benefit to treating subjects exposed to Cl2 with inhaled local anesthetics. The present studies will examine the effects of this treatment as monotherapy or in combination with a beta ..
- Noninvasive Methemoglobin Monitoring TechnologyLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..commonly caused by environmental or work-related chemical exposures, and from pharmaceutical agents such as local anesthetics, acetaminophen, and drugs containing nitrites and/or nitrates...
- CHANGES IN BRAIN AMINES BY DENTAL LOCAL ANESTHETICSALFRED CIARLONE; Fiscal Year: 1980..The over-all objective is to characterize the mechanism of induction of local seizures at the level of a brain pathway in a particular region of rat brain. ..
- Peripheral Nerve Blocks with Multimodal AnalgesicsBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, single injection nerve blocks with local anesthetics provide only 12 hours of analgesia, leading to little opioid sparing...
- EFFECTS OF GENERAL ANESTHETICS ON NICOTINIC MEMBRANESLeonard Firestone; Fiscal Year: 1991..been used to elucidate the membrane actions of other drugs essential to modern anesthetic practice, the local anesthetics, barbiturates, and relaxants...
- AROMATIC AMINE LOCAL ANESTHETICS AND MEMBRANESIssaku Ueda; Fiscal Year: 1990..The fact that part of the aromatic amine local anesthetics exists as a positively charged form is consistent with receptor binding because biological membranes usually ..
- RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ALLERGIC RHINITIS AND SINUSITISFuad Baroody; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will also attempt to block the eosinophilic response by local anesthetics and specific receptor antagonists for leukotrienes and histamine...
- Local Anesthetic Interactions with MembranesGary Strichartz; Fiscal Year: 2005b>Local anesthetics (LAs) interact intimately with membranes in order to reach their pharmacological targets...
- DIRECT NEUROTOXICITY OF LOCAL ANESTHETICSMichael Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..Other local anesthetics have a risk of persistent lumbosacral neurotoxicity of approximately 1 in 10,000...
- BRONCHIAL CIRCULATION AND LUNG FLUID BALANCEGeorge Kramer; Fiscal Year: 1993..of the bronical circulation; 5) to evaluate the effectiveness of various anti-inflammatory agents and local anesthetics on the hyperemia and permeability alterations of inflammation...
- COCAINE AND CATECHOLAMINE EFFECTS ON T LYMPHOCYTESThomas Klein; Fiscal Year: 1993..Molecular studies will examine the influence of cocaine and other local anesthetics on cytosolic calcium mobilization, and enzyme and Western blotting studies will examine the activity of ..
- BIOBEHAVIORAL PREDICTORS OF POSTOP PAIN & IMMUNE STATUSJoel Katz; Fiscal Year: 1999..most effective ways to prevent noxious input during surgery from reaching the spinal cord is to administer local anesthetics and opioids via the epidural route before surgery...
- MOLECULAR PHARMACOLOGY OF VOLTAGE SENSITIVE NA CHANNELSEdward Moczydlowski; Fiscal Year: 2001..NaV channels lies in the fact that they are the target of several classes of drugs and neurotoxins such as local anesthetics, antiarrhythmics, tetrodotoxin and saxitoxin...
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADANIEL KOHANE; Fiscal Year: 2004..proposal develops the principles and methods of controlled release technology to produce prolonged duration local anesthetics. This mentored research in chemical engineering, molecular biology and neurobiology, in conjunction with ..
- MOLECULAR ACTION OF LOCAL ANESTHETIC ON CHANNEL PEPTIDESMauricio Montal; Fiscal Year: 1991..for the inhibition of ionic conduction through voltage-dependent and neurotransmitter regulated channels by local anesthetics (LA)...
- Na Channels in Afferents after Bladder ObstructionWilliam Steers; Fiscal Year: 2006..These symptoms may include urgency, frequency, nocturia and urge incontinence. Symptoms can be relieved by local anesthetics and minimally invasive procedures that blunt sensory input from the bladder and urethra yet fail to un-..
- NEW DERMAL ANESTHETICSVINCENT CIOFALO; Fiscal Year: 1999..After preliminary studies, we have determined that ester-type local anesthetics (ex...
- HOW DIETARY N-3 FATTY ACIDS PREVENT FATAL ARRHYTHMIASAlexander Leaf; Fiscal Year: 2001..that the n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in fish oils, which prevent sudden cardiac death, like local anesthetics, inhibit the fast, voltage dependent Na+ currents (i.e...
- FETAL UPTAKE AND DISTRIBUTION OF LOCAL ANESTHETICSROLAND KENNEDY; Fiscal Year: 1980..cannot be estimated by blood concentrations alone, we are evaluating the uptake and distribution of amide local anesthetics in chronically instrumented fetal lambs...
- REPEATED ETHANOL WITHDRAWAL AND SEIZURESGeorge Breese; Fiscal Year: 1992..and electrically elicited seizures from the inferior colliculus will be mapped using site injection of local anesthetics. ln addition, pharmacological interventions are planned to determine if the seizure process induced by these ..
- Molecular Physiology of Voltage-gated Ion ChannelsRichard Horn; Fiscal Year: 2009..blockers will include extracellular toxins (tetrodotoxin, saxitoxin, and mu-conotoxin) and intracellular local anesthetics. We will test for a role of the pi electrons of critical aromatic residues in selectivity, conductance, ..
- CELLULAR MECHANISMS OF HYPERTHERMIA DAMAGERONALD COSS; Fiscal Year: 1992..The effects on modifying survival on the morphological endpoints will be assessed using heat sensitizers (local anesthetics, caffeine, low pH) and thermally sensitive CHO mutants with altered morphology will be used in the proposed ..
- EVALUATION OF THE NA+ CHANNEL OUTER VESTIBULESAMUEL DUDLEY; Fiscal Year: 2004..Drugs that act upon Na+ channels including anticonvulsants, local anesthetics, and antiarrhythmic agents...
- MOLECULAR DETERMINANTS OF POTASSIUM CHANNEL DRUG BLOCKDirk Snyders; Fiscal Year: 2003..will study molecular determinants of voltage-gated K+ channel block by antiarrhythmic drugs and local anesthetics. Voltage-gated K+ channels play a crucial role in controlling cardiac excitability and repolarization and ..
- Regions of Na channel involved in permeation and gatingNipavan Chiamvimonvat; Fiscal Year: 2002..They are the primary targets for local anesthetics as well as related antiarrhythmic drugs...
- LOCAL ANESTHETIC NEUROTOXICITY IN THE SPINAL CORDMichael Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 1991..experimental studies have failed to discriminate if nerve injury should be attributed to some or all local anesthetics, the NESACAINE antioxidant, or the inadvertent administration of large epidural doses into the spinal cord ..
- MOLECULAR PHARMACOLOGY OF CARDIAC ION CHANNELSRonald Li; Fiscal Year: 2003The pore of the sodium channel binds a variety of clinically-important drugs (local anesthetics, antileptics and antiarrhythmics)...
- IMPORTANCE OF PERIPHERAL SITES OF ANALGESIC ACTIONJerry Collins; Fiscal Year: 2001..additive or synergistic peripheral interactions between those systems and between them and low doses of local anesthetics? Studies will be carried out in a behavioral model developed by the investigator which permits testing in ..
- Local Anesthetic Cardiotoxicity: Nanotechnology TherapyDonn Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2006b>Local anesthetics (LAs) reversibly prevent impulse transmission in nerves by voltage-, time- and frequency-dependent blockade of sodium channel conductance (I-Na)...
- Peptide-mediated Attachment of Drug-loaded Microparticles to Medical DevicesJONATHAN HODGES; Fiscal Year: 2009..loaded with a wide variety of therapeutic molecules from antibiotics to prevent post-operative infection to local anesthetics to treat post- operative pain...
- NOVEL DELIVERY SYSTEM FOR TOPICAL ANESTHESIABakul Bhatt; Fiscal Year: 2000..To date, the most widely used method of topical anesthesia is EMLA (eutectic mixture of local anesthetics) cream...
- Structure and Function of Ca2+ Channel Splice VariantsScott Mittman; Fiscal Year: 2002..modulation of voltage- gated Na+ channel function would represent a dramatic improvement over current use of local anesthetics in the treatment of perioperative, obstetric and chronic pain...
- ENZYMOLOGY OF SINGLE NA-CHANNELS IN ARTIFICIAL BILAYERSEdward Moczydlowski; Fiscal Year: 1992..block of tetrodotoxin-insensitive Na-channels by Zn2+ and on the possibility of multiple sites of action of local anesthetics. Specific binding of (3H) saxitoxin will be used as an assay in the purification of a novel toxin receptor ..
- SLOW INACTIVATION OF SODIUM CHANNELSPeter Ruben; Fiscal Year: 2006..beta-1 subunit; (2) test the hypothesis that SI is modulated by CaM kinase II; (3) test the hypothesis that local anesthetics and anticonvulsants affect or mimic SI, and that this varies as a function of beta-1 subunit co-expression; ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISM OF LOCAL ANESTHETIC ACTIONJAY YEH; Fiscal Year: 1990The long-term objective of my research is to understand how do local anesthetics block the nerve conduction...
- CELLULAR THERMOSTABILITY AND THERMOTOLERANCEJAMES LEPOCK; Fiscal Year: 2001..The molecular mechanisms of sensitization by local anesthetics and low pH will be determined, specifically whether the conformational stability of thermolabile proteins or ..
- NEUROBIOLOGICAL CONTRIBUTION TO MEMORY FORMATIONCEDRIC WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2001..by blocking noradrenergic receptors in this nucleus or interrupting neural transmission with the use of local anesthetics. The second set of experiments will test the hypothesis by examining whether stimulation of NTS ..
- LONG-LIVED BLOCKADE OF NA+ CHANNELS BY LOCAL ANESTHETICSKevin Gingrich; Fiscal Year: 2000Voltage-gated Naplus channels mediate the spread of electrical excitation in cardiac and neuronal tissues. Local anesthetics (LAs) primarily target Naplus channels, inhibit Naplus current, and thereby provide important clinical utility ..
- Conopeptides as Topical Local Anesthetics for Burn PainGrzegorz Bulaj; Fiscal Year: 2001The goal of this proposal is to develop conotoxins as topical local anesthetics for treatment of burn pain. Severe burn injuries often result in intense pain which is currently treated with opiates...
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF SODIUM CHANNEL DIVERSITYALAN GOLDIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Third, we will determine if local anesthetics bind to the same region of the channel that serves as the docking site for the inactivating particle...
- MODULATION OF K+ CHANNEL FUNCTION BY PERMEANTIONSStephen Korn; Fiscal Year: 2004..the presence of intracellular channel blockers, which include clinically used class III antiarrhythmics and local anesthetics. Preliminary data suggest that this same conformational change also underlies both K+- and pH-dependent ..
- VOLTAGE-GATED PROTON CHANNELS IN ALVEOLAR EPITHELIUMTHOMAS DECOURSEY; Fiscal Year: 2003..One aim of this project is to characterize the inhibition of H+ channels by organic drugs, such as local anesthetics. The mechanism of interaction between organic compounds (e.g...
- CGX-1160, a non-opioid, broad-spectrum analgesicJohn Wagstaff; Fiscal Year: 2001..variety of analgesic and adjuvant drugs including: opioids, tricyclic antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and local anesthetics. A significant number of patients, particularly those suffering from neuropathic pain, are refractory to all ..
- Spatial and Temporal Characteristics of Central Pain SeANDRE MAUDERLI; Fiscal Year: 2006..The effect of silencing clinical pain foci with transdermally delivered local anesthetics on thermallyinduced sensitization will be studied...
- AGING AND ALPHA-ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF MUSCLE BLOOD FLOWFRANK DINENNO; Fiscal Year: 2002..specific alpha- receptor subtypes before and after abolishing basal sympathetic outflow to the forearm with local anesthetics given at the stellate ganglion...
- Cocaine/nicotine action on acetylcholine receptorsRobert Oswald; Fiscal Year: 2006..Reports in the literature have suggested that cocaine and other local anesthetics, when administered intraventricularly, are antagonistic to the behavioral and pharmacological effects of ..
- INPUT OUTPUT RELATIONS IN VOLUNTARY MOVEMENTClaude Ghez; Fiscal Year: 1990..performance of a tracking task after reversible inactivation of several candidate pathways by injection of local anesthetics and other agents which block conduction or transmission of neural impulses...
- INACTIVATION OF CA-TRANSPORT PROTEINS BY HYPERTHERMIAKwan Hon Cheng; Fiscal Year: 1991..and IP3) as well as exogenous hyperthermic sensitizing and protective chemicals (sugars, polyols, local anesthetics, alcohols, and antibiotics)...
- Structure and Activation of Protein Kinase C EnzymesJULIANNE SANDO; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. alcohols) or lipid binding (e.g. local anesthetics) molecules...
- Microbiology/Immunology of Periodontal Disease in T1DMPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..An integrated multidisciplinary effort provides significant data collection capabilities essential for understanding the complex multifactorial etiology of periodontal disease in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF LIGAND/SODIUM CHANNEL INTERACTIONSGING WANG; Fiscal Year: 2002..Upon binding, local anesthetics (LAs) block this permeation pathway whereas batrachotoxin (BTX) alters ion selectivity and causes persistent ..
- THERAPEUTIC NA+ CHANNEL BLOCKERS: RECEPTOR & DRUG DESIGNGING WANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Traditional local anesthetics (LAs) are often inept for chronic or intractable cancer pain due to their insufficient duration of nerve ..