Genomes and Genes
central nervous system stimulants
Summary: A loosely defined group of drugs that tend to increase behavioral alertness, agitation, or excitation. They work by a variety of mechanisms, but usually not by direct excitation of neurons. The many drugs that have such actions as side effects to their main therapeutic use are not included here.
Publications330 found, 100 shown here
- European consensus statement on diagnosis and treatment of adult ADHD: The European Network Adult ADHDSandra J J Kooij
PsyQ, psycho medische programma s, Department Adult ADHD, Carel Reinierszkade 197, Den Haag, The Netherlands
BMC Psychiatry 10:67. 2010..The evidence on persistence poses several difficulties for adult psychiatry considering the lack of expertise for diagnostic assessment, limited treatment options and patient facilities across Europe...
- Methamphetamine toxicity and messengers of deathIrina N Krasnova
Molecular Neuropsychiatry Research Branch, Intramural Research Program, NIDA NIH DHHS, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Brain Res Rev 60:379-407. 2009....
- The epidemiology of pharmacologically treated attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children, adolescents and adults in UK primary careSuzanne McCarthy
School of Pharmacy, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
BMC Pediatr 12:78. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the annual prevalence and incidence of pharmacologically treated ADHD in children, adolescents and adults in UK primary care...
- The roles of dopamine and noradrenaline in the pathophysiology and treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderNatalia Del Campo
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 69:e145-57. 2011....
- ADHD drugs and serious cardiovascular events in children and young adultsWilliam O Cooper
Division of General Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232 4313, USA
N Engl J Med 365:1896-904. 2011..Adverse-event reports from North America have raised concern that the use of drugs for attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) increases the risk of serious cardiovascular events...
- Lisdexamfetamine dimesylate: linear dose-proportionality, low intersubject and intrasubject variability, and safety in an open-label single-dose pharmacokinetic study in healthy adult volunteersJames Ermer
Shire Development, 725 Chesterbrook Blvd, Wayne, PA 19087, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 50:1001-10. 2010..These findings indicate that the pharmacokinetic parameters of d-amphetamine were dose-proportional and predictable over a wide range of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate doses...
- Amphetamine-type central nervous system stimulants release norepinephrine more potently than they release dopamine and serotoninR B Rothman
Clinical Psychopharmacology Section, Intramural Research Program, NIDA, NIH, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Synapse 39:32-41. 2001..the hypothesis that mesolimbic dopamine (DA) mediates, in animal models, the reinforcing effects of central nervous system stimulants such as cocaine and amphetamine...
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderLenard A Adler
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, 530 First Ave 7D, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:1364-73. 2008..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of 30, 50, and 70 mg/day lisdexamfetamine dimesylate compared with placebo in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Pharmacokinetics of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate and its active metabolite, d-amphetamine, with increasing oral doses of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a single-dose, randomized, open-label, crossoverSamuel W Boellner
Clinical Study Centers, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Clin Ther 32:252-64. 2010..Information on the pharmacokinetic profile of LDX in children with ADHD is lacking...
- Methylphenidate normalises activation and functional connectivity deficits in attention and motivation networks in medication-naïve children with ADHD during a rewarded continuous performance taskKatya Rubia
Department of Child Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, UK
Neuropharmacology 57:640-52. 2009..We used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to investigate the effects of MPH in medication-naïve children with ADHD on the activation and functional connectivity of "cool" attentional as well as "hot" motivation networks...
- Efficacy and tolerability of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate (NRP-104) in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a phase III, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, forced-dose, parallel-group studyJoseph Biederman
Department of Pediatric Psychopharmacology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Clin Ther 29:450-63. 2007..Following ingestion, the pharmacologically active d-amphetamine molecule is gradually released by rate-limited hydrolysis...
- Modafinil and methylphenidate for neuroenhancement in healthy individuals: A systematic reviewDimitris Repantis
Department of Psychiatry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, 14050 Berlin, Germany
Pharmacol Res 62:187-206. 2010....
- Misuse and diversion of stimulants prescribed for ADHD: a systematic review of the literatureTimothy E Wilens
Pediatric Psychopharmacology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47:21-31. 2008..The purpose of this systematic review of the literature is to evaluate the extent and characteristics of stimulant misuse and diversion in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and non-ADHD individuals...
- A comparison of the efficacy of medications for adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder using meta-analysis of effect sizesStephen V Faraone
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 750 East Adams St, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 71:754-63. 2010....
- Arousal effect of caffeine depends on adenosine A2A receptors in the shell of the nucleus accumbensMichael Lazarus
Department of Molecular Behavioral Biology, Osaka Bioscience Institute, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
J Neurosci 31:10067-75. 2011..Our observations suggest that caffeine promotes arousal by activating pathways that traditionally have been associated with motivational and motor responses in the brain...
- European guidelines on managing adverse effects of medication for ADHDJ Graham
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, The Centre for Child Health, Dundee, UK
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 20:17-37. 2011..Some of the effects examined appeared to be minimal in impact or difficult to distinguish from risk to untreated populations. However, several areas require further study to allow a more precise understanding of these risks...
- Long-acting medications for the hyperkinetic disorders. A systematic review and European treatment guidelineTobias Banaschewski
Dept of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Psychotherapy, University of Goettingen, Von Siebold Str 5, 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 15:476-95. 2006..Individual clinical choice is needed. (3) Both ATX and extended-release preparations of stimulants should be available. The choice will depend upon the circumstances, and detailed recommendations are made...
- Mechanisms of neurotransmitter release by amphetamines: a reviewDavid Sulzer
Department of Psychiatry, Neurology and Pharmacology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, 650 W 168th Street, Black Building Room 309, New York, NY 10032, USA
Prog Neurobiol 75:406-33. 2005....
- Non-medical use of prescription stimulants among US college students: prevalence and correlates from a national surveySean Esteban McCabe
University of Michigan, Substance Abuse Research Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Addiction 100:96-106. 2005..To examine the prevalence rates and correlates of non-medical use of prescription stimulants (Ritalin, Dexedrine or Adderall) among US college students in terms of student and college characteristics...
- Lisdexamfetamine dimesylate and mixed amphetamine salts extended-release in children with ADHD: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover analog classroom studyJoseph Biederman
Clinical and Research Program in Pediatric Psychopharmacology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:970-6. 2007..Pharmacologically active d-amphetamine is released from lisdexamfetamine following oral ingestion...
- A circuitry model of the expression of behavioral sensitization to amphetamine-like psychostimulantsR C Pierce
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Program, Washington State University, Pullman 99164 6520, USA
Brain Res Brain Res Rev 25:192-216. 1997..This neural circuit is used as a template to organize the relevant biochemical and molecular findings into a model of the expression of behavioral sensitization...
- Evidence-based guidelines for management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adolescents in transition to adult services and in adults: recommendations from the British Association for PsychopharmacologyD J Nutt
Psychopharmacology Unit, University of Bristol, Bristol, and Bethlem Royal Hospital, Kent, UK
J Psychopharmacol 21:10-41. 2007..We hope that, by the time these guidelines are updated, much evidence will be available to address the many directions for future research that are detailed here...
- 3-year follow-up of the NIMH MTA studyPeter S Jensen
Center for the Advancement of Children s Mental Health, Unit 78, Columbia University NYSPI, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10027, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 46:989-1002. 2007..This report examines 36-month outcomes, 2 years after treatment by the study ended...
- Illicit use of specific prescription stimulants among college students: prevalence, motives, and routes of administrationChristian J Teter
School of Pharmacy, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pharmacotherapy 26:1501-10. 2006..To explore the illicit use of specific prescription stimulants among college students and add to our understanding of reasons (motives) and routes of administration associated with illicit use of these drugs...
- Major physical and psychological harms of methamphetamine useShane Darke
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 27:253-62. 2008..The major physical and psychological health effects of methamphetamine use, and the factors associated with such harms...
- Pharmacokinetic variability of long-acting stimulants in the treatment of children and adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderJames C Ermer
Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics, Shire Development Inc, Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA
CNS Drugs 24:1009-25. 2010..As such, clinicians are urged both to adjust stimulant doses based on therapeutic response and the risk for adverse events and to monitor patients for potential causes of pharmacokinetic variability...
- Dopaminergic role in stimulant-induced wakefulnessJ P Wisor
Sleep Disorders Research Center, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Neurosci 21:1787-94. 2001..Thus, dopamine transporters play an important role in sleep regulation and are necessary for the specific wake-promoting action of amphetamines and modafinil...
- Are prescription stimulants "smart pills"? The epidemiology and cognitive neuroscience of prescription stimulant use by normal healthy individualsM Elizabeth Smith
Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, 3720 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Psychol Bull 137:717-41. 2011..In closing, we enumerate the many outstanding questions that remain to be addressed by future research and also identify obstacles facing this research...
- Mortality associated with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) drug treatment: a retrospective cohort study of children, adolescents and young adults using the general practice research databaseSuzanne McCarthy
Centre for Paediatric Pharmacy Research, The School of Pharmacy, University of London and the Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Drug Saf 32:1089-96. 2009....
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adultsMichael Rösler
Neurozentrum, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar, Germany
World J Biol Psychiatry 11:684-98. 2010..To examine available literature regarding attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults...
- Subjective, behavioral, and physiological effects of acute caffeine in light, nondependent caffeine usersEmma Childs
The University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, MC3077, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 185:514-23. 2006....
- Short-term cardiovascular effects of methylphenidate and adderallR L Findling
Department of Psychiatry and Pediatrics, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, OH 44106-5080, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 40:525-9. 2001..In addition, under similar conditions, using similar methods, both medication treatments led to changes in blood pressure and pulse that were clinically insignificant...
- Modafinil for excessive sleepiness associated with shift-work sleep disorderCharles A Czeisler
Division of Sleep Medicine, Harvard Medical School, and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 353:476-86. 2005..Patients with shift-work sleep disorder chronically have excessive sleepiness during night work and insomnia when attempting to sleep during the day. We evaluated the use of modafinil for treating sleepiness in patients with this disorder...
- Effects of modafinil on dopamine and dopamine transporters in the male human brain: clinical implicationsNora D Volkow
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
JAMA 301:1148-54. 2009..Although initially launched as distinct from stimulants that increase extracellular dopamine by targeting dopamine transporters, recent preclinical studies suggest otherwise...
- Illicit use of prescription ADHD medications on a college campus: a multimethodological approachAlan D DeSantis
The Department of Communication, The University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
J Am Coll Health 57:315-24. 2008..The authors used quantitative and qualitative methodologies to investigate college students' perceptions and use of illegal Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) stimulants during spring and summer 2006...
- Methamphetamine transiently increases the blood-brain barrier permeability in the hippocampus: role of tight junction proteins and matrix metalloproteinase-9Tânia Martins
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, 3004 548 Coimbra, Portugal
Brain Res 1411:28-40. 2011..Overall, the present data demonstrate that METH transiently increases the BBB permeability in the hippocampus, which can be explained by alterations on TJ proteins and MMP-9...
- The impact of medications on quality of life in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a systematic reviewDavid Coghill
Centre for Neuroscience, Division of Medical Sciences, University of Dundee, Centre for Child Health, Dundee, UK
CNS Drugs 24:843-66. 2010..The lack of systematic studies of the impact on QOL of psychological therapies, either on their own or in multimodal combinations with medication, is a serious omission that should be urgently addressed...
- A dose-response study of OROS methylphenidate in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderMark A Stein
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Pediatrics 112:e404. 2003..This study was conducted to examine dosage effects on ADHD symptoms and stimulant side effects and to explore potential moderating effects of ADHD subtype...
- Review of medication adherence in children and adults with ADHDLisa D Adler
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
Postgrad Med 122:184-91. 2010..To review the literature on the prevalence, potential causes, and consequences of medication nonadherence in adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- A disorder of anger and aggression: children's perspectives on attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in the UKIlina Singh
London School of Economics and Political Science, BIOS Research Centre, London, UK
Soc Sci Med 73:889-96. 2011..The findings support a proposal for a complex sociological model of ADHD diagnosis and demonstrate the relevance of this model for national policy initiatives related to mental health and wellbeing in children...
- Why do children with ADHD discontinue their medication?Sara L Toomey
Boston Children s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 51:763-9. 2012..To examine factors associated with parent-reported discontinuation of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication...
- Mechanisms of amphetamine action revealed in mice lacking the dopamine transporterS R Jones
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Laboratories, Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 18:1979-86. 1998..Furthermore, these findings suggest that in the absence of pharmacological manipulation, such as the use of amphetamine, endogenous cytoplasmic DA normally does not reach sufficient concentrations to reverse the DAT...
- Cardiovascular safety of central nervous system stimulants in children and adolescents: population based cohort studyAlmut G Winterstein
Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy, College of Pharmacy, Epidemiology, Colleges of Medicine and Public Health and Health Professions, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
BMJ 345:e4627. 2012To evaluate the cardiac safety of central nervous system stimulants in children and adolescents.
- Age-specific prevalence, incidence of new diagnoses, and drug treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in GermanyChristina Lindemann
Bremen Institute for Prevention Research and Social Medicine, Bremen, Germany
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 22:307-14. 2012..The purpose of this study was to estimate the prevalence and incidence of new diagnoses of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and assess drug treatment of ADHD in the 3-17 year age group in Germany...
- Striatal creatine and glutamate/glutamine in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderNormand J Carrey
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 17:11-7. 2007..We used short echo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1H-MRS) to examine glutamate in the prefrontal cortex, left striatum, and, as a control area, the occipital lobe...
- "Adderall is definitely not a drug": justifications for the illegal use of ADHD stimulantsAlan D DeSantis
Department of Communication, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Subst Use Misuse 45:31-46. 2010..We discuss limitations to the study and conclude by suggesting five strategies for prevention researchers that would directly target these four arguments...
- Amphetamine toxicities: classical and emerging mechanismsBryan K Yamamoto
Department of Neurosciences, University of Toledo College of Medicine, Toledo, Ohio 43614, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1187:101-21. 2010..Moreover, the high coincidence of substituted amphetamine abuse by humans with HIV and/or chronic stress exposure suggests a potential enhanced vulnerability of these individuals to the neurotoxic actions of the amphetamines...
- Illicit use of prescription stimulants among college students: prescription status, motives, theory of planned behaviour, knowledge and self-diagnostic tendenciesRachel Judson
Department of Psychology, Bates College, Lewiston, Maine, USA
Psychol Health Med 14:97-104. 2009..Implications for future research and the need for interventions to provide aid to students who are at risk for using stimulant medications illicitly are discussed...
- The use of methylphenidate among students: the future of enhancement?Simon M Outram
Novel Tech Ethics, Dalhousie University, 1234 LeMarchant Street, Halifax NS B3H 3P7, Canada
J Med Ethics 36:198-202. 2010..In light of these empirically based conclusions, the article discusses why methylphenidate might have become seen as a smart drug or cognitive enhancer...
- Abuse liability and safety of oral lisdexamfetamine dimesylate in individuals with a history of stimulant abuseD R Jasinski
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Psychopharmacol 23:419-27. 2009..Abuse-related liking scores of LDX at a dose corresponding to a 50% higher amphetamine base (LDX 150 mg) were similar to d-amphetamine 40 mg...
- Persistence of pharmacological treatment into adulthood, in UK primary care, for ADHD patients who started treatment in childhood or adolescenceSuzanne McCarthy
School of Pharmacy, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
BMC Psychiatry 12:219. 2012....
- An observational study of once-daily modified-release methylphenidate in ADHD: effectiveness on symptoms and impairment, and safetyManfred Dopfner
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 20:S243-55. 2011..Equasym XL(®) was generally well tolerated; only 3.16% of patients permanently discontinued treatment due to adverse events. Equasym XL(®) is effective and well tolerated in daily clinical practice...
- Caffeine improves supramaximal cycling but not the rate of anaerobic energy releaseMichael J Simmonds
School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science, Gold Coast Campus, Griffith University, Southport, QLD 4215, Australia
Eur J Appl Physiol 109:287-95. 2010..Considering caffeine ingestion did not change VO2 kinetics or isotime AO(2) deficit, increases in absolute AO(2) deficit may be a consequence of prolonged TE, rather than causal...
- Withdrawal symptoms in abstinent methamphetamine-dependent subjectsTodd Zorick
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Addiction 105:1809-18. 2010..g. depression, psychosis) persist beyond a month of abstinence...
- Chronic methamphetamine exposure suppresses the striatal expression of members of multiple families of immediate early genes (IEGs) in the rat: normalization by an acute methamphetamine injectionMichael T McCoy
Molecular Neuropsychiatry Research Branch, DHHS NIH NIDA Intramural Research Program, NIDA NIH, 251 Bayview Boulevard, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 215:353-65. 2011..Repeated injections of cocaine cause blunted responses to acute cocaine challenge-induced increases in the expression of immediate early genes (IEGs)...
- Methylphenidate and risk of serious cardiovascular events in adultsHedi Schelleman
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Am J Psychiatry 169:178-85. 2012..The authors sought to determine whether use of methylphenidate in adults is associated with elevated rates of serious cardiovascular events compared with rates in nonusers...
- ADHD in children, adolescents, and adultsSreenivas Katragadda
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Prim Care 34:317-41; abstract viii. 2007..The primary care physician should be able to screen, diagnose, educate, and initiate medication management in patients with uncomplicated ADHD...
- Short allele of 5-HTTLPR as a risk factor for the development of psychosis in Japanese methamphetamine abusersNorikazu Ezaki
Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1139:49-56. 2008..Thus, we suggest a possible role for the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism in MAP psychosis...
- Pharmacological treatment patterns among patients with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: retrospective claims-based analysis of a managed care populationLaura Christensen
i3 Innovus, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 26:977-89. 2010....
- Cardiovascular events and death in children exposed and unexposed to ADHD agentsHedi Schelleman
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, 19104 6021, USA
Pediatrics 127:1102-10. 2011..The objective of this study was to compare the rate of severe cardiovascular events and death in children who use attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medications versus nonusers...
- Functional improvement and correlations with symptomatic improvement in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder receiving long-acting methylphenidateJ K Buitelaar
Department of Cognitive Neuroscience, University Medical Centre, St Radboud and Karakter Child and Adolescent Psychiatry University Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 42:195-204. 2012..Daily functioning was assessed as part of an open-label extension, and associations with symptom scores were evaluated...
- The atypical stimulant and nootropic modafinil interacts with the dopamine transporter in a different manner than classical cocaine-like inhibitorsKyle C Schmitt
Department of Pharmacology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e25790. 2011..Our findings highlight a mechanistic difference between modafinil and cocaine-like stimulants and further demonstrate that the conformational effects of a given DAT inhibitor influence its phenomenological effects...
- A controlled trial of extended-release guanfacine and psychostimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderTimothy E Wilens
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 51:74-85.e2. 2012....
- The need for speed: an update on methamphetamine addictionAlasdair M Barr
Centre for Complex Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Psychiatry Neurosci 31:301-13. 2006..It is hoped that increased knowledge of MA abuse will provide the basis for future treatment strategies...
- Methylphenidate improves working memory and set-shifting in AD/HD: relationships to baseline memory capacityMitul A Mehta
University of Cambridge, Department of Psychiatry, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 45:293-305. 2004..Clear delineation of the effects of methylphenidate upon such cognitive functions in AD/HD would enhance understanding of the effects of drug treatment...
- Sex differences in attentional performance and their modulation by methylphenidate in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderThomas Gunther
Child Neuropsychology Section, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 20:179-86. 2010....
- A comparison of amphetamine- and methamphetamine-induced locomotor activity in rats: evidence for qualitative differences in behaviorDarien A Hall
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience Program, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 731 Psychology Bldg MC 716, 603 E Daniel St, Champaign, IL 61820, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 195:469-78. 2008....
- The rise of methamphetamine in Southeast and East AsiaRebecca McKetin
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 27:220-8. 2008..Southeast and East Asia has become a global hub for methamphetamine production and trafficking over the past decade. This paper describes the rise of methamphetamine supply and to what extent use of the drug is occurring in the region...
- Translational approaches to frontostriatal dysfunction in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder using a computerized neuropsychological batterySamuel R Chamberlain
Department of Psychiatry and Medical Research Council Wellcome Trust Behavioural and Clinical Neurosciences Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 69:1192-203. 2011..The findings suggest overlapping but also distinct early cognitive effects of ADHD medications and have important implications for understanding the pathophysiology of ADHD and for future trials...
- National trends in child and adolescent psychotropic polypharmacy in office-based practice, 1996-2007Jonathan S Comer
College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, and the New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 49:1001-10. 2010..To examine patterns and recent trends in multiclass psychotropic treatment among youth visits to office-based physicians in the United States...
- Methylphenidate improves deficient error evaluation in children with ADHD: an event-related brain potential studyLisa M Jonkman
Faculty of Psychology, Department of Cognitive Neuroscience, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Biol Psychol 76:217-29. 2007..Methylphenidate's ameliorating effects might be established through its influence on brain networks including posterior (parietal) cortex, enabling children with ADHD to allocate more attention to significant events...
- Methamphetamine causes microglial activation in the brains of human abusersYoshimoto Sekine
Molecular Neuropsychiatry Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci 28:5756-61. 2008..These results suggest that chronic self-administration of methamphetamine can cause reactive microgliosis in the brains of human methamphetamine abusers, a level of activation that appears to subside over longer periods of abstinence...
- Effects of clonidine and methylphenidate on family quality of life in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderMichael Cannon
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 19:511-7. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the effect on family quality of life (QOL) of clonidine (CLON) and methylphenidate (MPH), used alone and in combination, in treating attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Efficacy of a novel biphasic controlled-release methylphenidate formula in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover studyUmesh Jain
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 68:268-77. 2007..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of a new biphasic multilayer-release (MLR) methylphenidate formulation in a double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study of adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Understanding the effects of stimulant medications on cognition in individuals with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a decade of progressJames Swanson
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:207-26. 2011..We will review some key findings from the recent literature, and then offer interpretations of the progress that has been made over the past decade in understanding the cognitive effects of stimulant medication on individuals with ADHD...
- Nonmedical use of prescription stimulants in the United StatesLarry A Kroutil
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 84:135-43. 2006..This study estimated prevalences and correlates of stimulant diversion in the United States and examined relationships between diversion and measures of abuse or dependence...
- Long-term safety and effectiveness of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate in adults with attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorderRichard Weisler
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
CNS Spectr 14:573-85. 2009..To evaluate the long-term safety and effectiveness of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate (LDX) in the treatment of adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Medical use, illicit use, and diversion of abusable prescription drugsSean Esteban McCabe
Substance Abuse Research Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48105 2194, USA
J Am Coll Health 54:269-78. 2006..The authors provide evidence that prescription drug abuse is a problem among college students...
- The changing face of teenage drug abuse--the trend toward prescription drugsRichard A Friedman
Psychopharmacology Clinic at Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, USA
N Engl J Med 354:1448-50. 2006
- Neurochemical enhancement of conscious error awarenessRobert Hester
Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Neurosci 32:2619-27. 2012....
- Pharmacokinetics of methylphenidate after oral administration of two modified-release formulations in healthy adultsJohn S Markowitz
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425 0742, USA
Clin Pharmacokinet 42:393-401. 2003..To compare the rate and extent of absorption of DL-threo-methylphenidate (MPH) from two modified-release MPH formulations at their respective recommended starting doses in healthy adult volunteers...
- The neuropharmacology of ADHD drugs in vivo: insights on efficacy and safetyD J Heal
RenaSci Consultancy Ltd, BioCity, Nottingham NG1 1GF, UK
Neuropharmacology 57:608-18. 2009..This review will discuss the in vivo pharmacological profiles of approved catecholaminergic drugs for treatment of ADHD and implications for their clinical efficacy and abuse liability...
- Caffeine and anaerobic performance: ergogenic value and mechanisms of actionJ K Davis
Department of Health and Human Performance, Texas A and M University Commerce, Commerce, Texas, USA
Sports Med 39:813-32. 2009..The exact mechanisms behind caffeine's action remain to be elucidated...
- Selective effects of methylphenidate in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a functional magnetic resonance studyC J Vaidya
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:14494-9. 1998..These results suggest that ADHD is characterized by atypical frontal-striatal function and that methylphenidate affects striatal activation differently in ADHD than in healthy children...
- Pattern classification of working memory networks reveals differential effects of methylphenidate, atomoxetine, and placebo in healthy volunteersAndre F Marquand
Department of Neuroimaging, Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:1237-47. 2011..Thus, interactions between drug effects and motivational state are crucial in defining the effects of MPH and ATX...
- Advances in understanding and treating ADHDKevin M Antshel
State University of New York, Upstate Medical University, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, 750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
BMC Med 9:72. 2011....
- Prolonged wakefulness induces experience-dependent synaptic plasticity in mouse hypocretin/orexin neuronsYan Rao
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Clin Invest 117:4022-33. 2007..These results indicate that synaptic plasticity due to prolonged wakefulness occurs in circuits responsible for arousal and may contribute to changes in the brain and body of animals experiencing sleep loss...
- Incidence of Parkinson's disease among hospital patients with methamphetamine-use disordersRussell C Callaghan
Social, Epidemiological Research Department, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mov Disord 25:2333-9. 2010..We strongly emphasize the preliminary nature of the findings. Nevertheless, these data, requiring replication, provide some evidence that methamphetamine users might be at greater than normal risk for developing Parkinson's disease...
- Psychostimulant treatment and the developing cortex in attention deficit hyperactivity disorderPhilip Shaw
Child Psychiatry Branch, Bldg 10, Center Dr, NIMH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Psychiatry 166:58-63. 2009..The authors sought to determine prospectively whether psychostimulant treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) was associated with differences in the development of the cerebral cortex during adolescence...
- Comparing the efficacy of stimulants for ADHD in children and adolescents using meta-analysisStephen V Faraone
Departments of Psychiatry and Neuroscience and Physiology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, USA
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 19:353-64. 2010..This difference in effect size may be due to differences between amfetamine and methylphenidate in the molecular mechanisms involved in facilitating the dopaminergic neurotransmission...
- [ADHD in adulthood--guidelines based on expert consensus with DGPPN support]D Ebert
Nervenarzt 74:939-46. 2003
- Molecular bases of methamphetamine-induced neurodegenerationJean Lud Cadet
Molecular Neuropsychiatry Branch, NIDA Intramural Research Program, NIH DHHS, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Int Rev Neurobiol 88:101-19. 2009..Better understanding of the cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in METH toxicity should help to generate modern therapeutic approaches to prevent or attenuate the long-term consequences of psychostimulant use disorders in humans...
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Tat and methamphetamine affect the release and activation of matrix-degrading proteinasesKatherine Conant
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Neurovirol 10:21-8. 2004..These results also suggest a potential mechanism for acceleration of HIVD with methamphetamine use...
- Clinically relevant doses of methylphenidate significantly occupy norepinephrine transporters in humans in vivoJonas Hannestad
Department of Psychiatry, Yale PET Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Biol Psychiatry 68:854-60. 2010..The goal of this study was to use positron emission tomography to measure the occupancy of brain norepinephrine transporter by methylphenidate in vivo in humans...
- Health outcomes associated with methamphetamine use among young people: a systematic reviewBrandon D L Marshall
British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV AIDS, St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Addiction 105:991-1002. 2010..While responses have focused upon various perceived severe harms of MA use, effective public health interventions require a strong scientific evidence base...
- Impulsiveness as a timing disturbance: neurocognitive abnormalities in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder during temporal processes and normalization with methylphenidateKatya Rubia
Department of Child Psychiatry MRC Center for Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry SGDP, Institute of Psychiatry, 16 De Crespigny Park, London, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 364:1919-31. 2009....
- Effects of methylphenidate on the catecholaminergic system in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderTimothy E Wilens
Pediatric Psychopharmacology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:S46-53. 2008..Overall, the changes in catecholaminergic tone clinically manifest as improvements in attention deficit, distractibility, and motor hyperactivity in patients with ADHD...
- Involvement of pallidotegmental neurons in methamphetamine- and MK-801-induced impairment of prepulse inhibition of the acoustic startle reflex in mice: reversal by GABAB receptor agonist baclofenSawako Arai
Laboratory of Neuropsychopharmacology, Division of Life Sciences, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:3164-75. 2008..GABA(B) receptor may constitute a putative target in treating neuropsychiatric disorders with sensorimotor gating deficits, such as schizophrenia and METH psychosis...
- Safety and effectiveness of coadministration of guanfacine extended release and psychostimulants in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderThomas J Spencer
Clinical and Research Program, Pediatric Psychopharmacology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 19:501-10. 2009....
- What are the cognitive effects of stimulant medications? Emphasis on adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)Claire Advokat
Department of Psychology, Louisiana State University, 215 Audubon Hall, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 34:1256-66. 2010..Stimulants may influence cognition by their effects on physiological arousal. Regardless, the evidence does not support the conclusion that stimulants are cognitive 'enhancers.'..
- Caffeine potentiates low frequency skeletal muscle force in habitual and nonhabitual caffeine consumersM Tarnopolsky
Department of Neurology and Rehabilitation Medicine and Kinesiology, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 89:1719-24. 2000..These data support the hypothesis that some of the ergogenic effect of caffeine in endurance exercise performance occurs directly at the skeletal muscle level...
- Inhibition of Carboxylesterase Metabolism by EthanolRobert B Parker; Fiscal Year: 2011..used medications including angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, anticancer agents, statins, central nervous system stimulants, and drugs of abuse such as cocaine and heroin...
- Comparative Safety and Effectiveness of Stimulants in Medicaid Youth with ADHDAlmut G Winterstein; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by the PI): Comparative effectiveness data that quantify effects of central nervous system stimulants (stimulants) on real-life function in the treatment of attention deficit/hyperactivity (ADHD) disorder are ..
- AN ECOGENETIC STUDY OF ADHDStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, no studies have used an ecogenetic approach to sharpen the accuracy of risk prediction. ..
- 2/5-The Psychiatric GWAS Consortium: Integrated & Coordinated GWAS Meta-AnalysesStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the PGC proposes to abide as fully as possible with the NIH's GWAS data sharing policies and we provide a detailed data sharing plan and timetable. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Validating Novel Familial Phenotypes of Drug AbuseStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..State of the art statistical techniques will be employed. ..
- PREVENTION OF CIGARETTE SMOKING IN ADHD YOUTHJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since there are estimated to be 3.5 million children with ADHD and 20% have been shown to be smokers, targeting this group could potentially impact 700,000 children and adolescents. ..
- Adult Outcome of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity DisorderJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2007..For these reasons, we expect the proposed work to clarify the course and outcome of ADHD. ..
- Course of psychopathology in female youth: Analysis with extant longitudinal dataJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Analysis of an ADHD Whole Genome Association ScanStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..All genotype data generated by the GAIN whole genome association scan will be made available to the scientific community by GAIN as soon as the genotypes are completed. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Searching for ADHD Susceptibility GenesStephen V Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2010..That, in turn, should facilitate the search for newer, more effective treatments for the disorder. ..
- Juvenile Bipolar Disorder and Substance AbuseTimothy E Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since BPD is identifiable and treatable, findings from the four-year follow-up will provide valuable information to formulate prevention and early intervention strategies. ..
- LONG TERM DRUG ABUSE IN ADHDTimothy Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Collaborative Pediatric Bipolar Disorder ConferenceJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2007..While the proposed conference does not intend to solve all outstanding problems associated with pediatric bipolar disorder, it will provide a forum to begin formulating a solution. ..
- Evaluation of Stimulant DrugsSharon Wigal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Within-subject PK variability in time-course of serum concentration for each medication will be analyzed, and the time-response characteristics also will be estimated based on PD measures for methylphenidate. ..
- LONGITUDINAL FOLLOW UP OF ADHD GIRLS AND THEIR SIBLINGSJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- TESTING THE VALIDITY OF ADULT ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDERStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2002..Thus, if founded, we expect that the proposed work will lead to a program of research that can both clarify the nosological complexities of adult ADHD and clarify the nature of genes that are risk factors for the disorder. ..
- Substance Abuse in ADHD GirlsTimothy Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, the research, approach, and goals of this R01 application are consistent with those underscored in the PA and by the Institute of Medicine as being of the highest research priority. ..
- International Multi-Center ADHD Genetics ProjectStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PEDIATRIC BIPOLAR COLLABORATIVE MOOD STABILZER TRAILRobert Findling; Fiscal Year: 2003..Lastly, this trial will provide descriptive information on the stability of acute phase response to monotherapy over a 16 week continuation phase. ..
- Nonmedical Prescription Drug Use among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Findings from this research will have important implications for the understanding of the epidemiology, prevention and treatment of prescription drug abuse. ..
- Epidemiology of Prescription Drug Abuse in the United StatesSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will help identify risk factors for substance abuse. Most importantly, the findings will provide guidance for the prevention, assessment, and treatment of prescription drug abuse. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Progestrone and the Effects of NicotineMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2006..By characterizing the progesterone effects on nicotine dependence, this study may provide a better understanding of the mechanisms which mediate the sex and menstrual cycle phase effects on nicotine dependence. ..
- Methylphenidate Abuse Potential in ADHD AdultsScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prescription Drug Abuse Among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Protective Influence of Residential Learning CommunitiesSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2006..At each measurement point, participants will complete a set of measures that assess substance use behaviors and constructs addressed by RLCs. ..
- Smoking reinforcement in adults with and without ADHDScott H Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will help identify some of the reasons why people with ADHD smoke more and will potentially lead to better prevention and treatment programs. ..
- Cocaine Withdrawal and Pharmacotherapy ResponseMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal, by testing the efficacy of carvedilol and investigating the influence of withdrawal severity on carvedilol's efficacy, may result in development of more effective treatments for cocaine addiction. ..
- GABA Medications for Tobacco AddictionMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of this study will provide valuable information to develop new pharmacotherapies for smoking cessation. ..
- Sexual Orientation, Substance Use and Mental HealthSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Follow up of the PATS sampleScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 4 is to determine the stability of the ADHD diagnosis and other comorbidities made for study entry at age 3-5 years across subsequent development [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms of Nicotine Dependence in ADHD AdultsScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2008..Data generated will also lead to subsequent clinical projects to develop more effective interventions for nicotine dependence in this high risk group. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UCI-CFC Projects on School ReadinessJames Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Genetics of Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity DisorderJames Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Genomic haplotypes", meaning haplo-specific genotypes at more than one locus, will be defined and tested for possible interactive roles among the genes. ..
- Role of hypocretin/histamine in Narcolepsy/EDS disordersSeiji Nishino; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that results from these studies will bring new insights regarding the roles of the hypocretin/histamine interaction in narcolepsy and other EDS disorders and better treatment modalities in humans. ..
- Role of Histamine in Narcolepsy/EDS DisordersSeiji Nishino; Fiscal Year: 2008..As almost nothing is known on the pathophysiology of non- hypocretin deficient hypersomnias, we believe this work to be ideally suited for a small grant application. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- " Evaluating a Microeconomic Intervention for High Risk Women in India"SUSAN GAIL SHERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, the evaluation will provide the cost effectiveness of such an intervention as well as the impact on HIV/STI incidence and risky behaviors. ..
- Modafinil Treatment for Fatigue in HIV+ PatientsJudith Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..The major aims concern modafinil efficacy for fatigue compared to placebo, safety in terms of effects on immunologic/virologic measures, and impact on depressive symptoms when present at baseline. ..
- RUPP-PIOscar Bukstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..The expertise and experience at this RUPP-PI site also will be directed to train new investigators. In creating TASA, a collaborative group of 8 applicants forged the ability to work together. ..
- DAYTIME SLEEPINESS--PREVALENCE, CONSEQUENCES, AND RISKSThomas Roth; Fiscal Year: 2003..The important contribution of the present proposal is that it will be the first population-based study to use laboratory assessments, its consequences and risks to measure sleepiness. ..
- DHEA EFFECTS ON MOOD IN DEPRESSED HIV+ PATIENTSJudith Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will permit the investigators to assess potential underlying mechanisms for the putative therapeutic effects of DHEA on mood, libido, and body composition. ..
- PHARMACOLOGICAL STUDIES OF HUMAN AND CANINE NARCOLEPSYSeiji Nishino; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Home Base Treatment for Drug Use in Early AdolescentsOscar Bukstein; Fiscal Year: 2005..These interventions are expected to improve not only substance abuse outcomes, but a range of impairments and symptoms associated with the DBDs and high risk for the early onset type of substance use disorder. ..
- DYING AT HOME OF AIDS & CANCER: PREFERENCES & OUTCOMESJudith Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..The data collected in the preliminary study will be used in the full-scale study. ..
- HIV BEHAVIORS IN INJECTING AND NONINJECTING DRUG USERSSusan Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Additionally, we are complementing our research with the inclusion of NIUs of whom we will compare and contrast with our new injectors and, observe factors associated with the transition into an injecting career. ..
- Medication Management Decisions in SchizophreniaMark Olfson; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will inform quality improvement programs by identifying key modifiable determinants of the quality of medication management in the community treatment of schizophrenia. ..
- Therapeutic Placebos as Complementary Therapy in ADHDAdrian Sandler; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- METHYLPHENIDATE TREATMENT OF ADHD IN CHILDREN WITH TSKenneth Gadow; Fiscal Year: 2004..To evaluate the impact of tic severity and comorbid internalizing and externalizing symptoms on clinical outcome, children with ADHD/+tics will be compared with an additional sample of children with ADHD/-tics at ages 11 and 16 years. ..
- Can beta-lactam antibiotics decrease morphine physical dependence?SCOTT RAWLS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENTAL EFFECTS OF METHAMPHETAMINE-LIKE STIMULANTSCharles Vorhees; Fiscal Year: 2009..The number of prenatally MA exposed children continues to grow. Our goal is to develop models of early MA exposure that permit an understanding of the long-term consequences on brain development and cognition. ..
- PROMOTING EVIDENCE-BASED ADHD TREATMENT IN THE COMMUNITYJEFF EPSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The study design will allow for between-groups and within-group comparisons of pediatricians' utilization of the infrastructure, pediatricians' practice behaviors, child outcomes, consumer satisfaction, and costs. ..
- Effects of Neonatal MDMA on Brain and BehaviorCharles V Vorhees; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Neuropharmacology of Tramadol: Clinical Efficacy and Abuse PotentialWILLIAM WALTON STOOPS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Developing analgesics with reduced abuse potential may reduce the prevalence of prescription opioid misuse and subsequent opioid use disorders. ..
- CONTROLLED STUDY OF METHYLPHENIDATE IN ADULTS WITH ADHDThomas Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2002..The auditory and visual continuous performance tasks and the Stroop test will be used to further assess treatment efficacy. A larger neuropsychological battery will be used to assess the long term effects of MPH treatment. ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL EFFECTS OF METHLENEDIOXYMETHAMPHETAMINECharles Vorhees; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such data will help identify risks associated with the prenatal use of MDMA on brain and cognitive development. ..
- Enhancing School-Based Services for ADHD StudentsDESIREE MURRAY; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Functional neuroanatomical deficits in ADHD familiesScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2004..Imaging will be performed at corresponding imaging sites at DUMC, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, and Stanford University respectively. ..
- Anatomy and Activation of Nucleus Accumbens CART NeuronsGEORGE HUBERT; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will add to our understanding of the anatomy of drug abuse and to hypothesize treatments to alleviate this major social problem. ..
- Dopamine Transporter Binding by PET in Adult ADHDThomas Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2007..qenetic risk factors, a) We hypothesize that DAT binding will be associated with the 480 allele of the 40-bp VNTR in the 3'-untranslated region of the dopamine transporter gene. ..
- Cannabinoid Regulation of Basal Ganglia Glutamate and GABASCOTT RAWLS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our outcomes will be a first step in determining whether blocking endocannabinoid inactivation offers any therapeutic advantage over direct activation of cannabinoid receptors with marijuana. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- AMPHETAMINE-LIKE STIMULANTS: NOREPINEPHRINE & BEHAVIORCRAIG BERRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Information obtained in these studies may provide insight into mechanisms subserving, and treatment of, stimulant drug abuse. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Neurobiology of Orexin/Hypocretin-Induced ArousalCRAIG BERRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide a better understanding of the neurobiology of orexin, the neurobiology of sleep and waking, and the potential role of orexin in narcolepsy and other disorders of arousal. ..
- Tobacco Quitlines: An Adjunct to Dental InterventionsJudith Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, we will conduct an economic analysis to determine the relative cost effectiveness of each intervention. ..
- Microarray analysis of morphine's behavioral effectsGREGORY ELMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Help Seeking by At-Risk Youth After Suicide ScreeningsMadelyn Gould; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- MONITORING METHAMPHETAMINE ABUSE TREATMENT WITH 1H MRSLinda Chang; Fiscal Year: 2001..This comprehensive approach will allow us to determine the relationship between changes in cognitive function and metabolite changes in brain tissue associated with chronic methamphetamine abuse and treatment. ..
- Serotonin, Drug Use and MDMA Induced DeficitsFREDERICK MOELLER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aim 3: To determine whether neurobehavioral deficits seen in heavy MDMA users are related to serotonergic function as measured by a mCPP neuroendocrine challenge in these subjects. ..
- MECHANISM OF ACTION OF DRUGS OF ABUSE--AMPHETAMINERonald Kuczenski; Fiscal Year: 2004..The possibility of nonsynaptic release sites on nigrostriatal DA afferents will be assessed by labeling components of the release mechanism and then correlating them with the locations of dopamine receptors. ..
- Algorithm for drug discoveryGREGORY ELMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Second, it will establish a core database for data mining and provide a template for use in screening novel compounds with potential clinical efficacy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neuroanatomical MRI Studies of Childhood DisordersBradley Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Parental Influences on Peer Socialization Among Children with ADHDAMORI MIKAMI; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FMRI STUDIES OF IMPULSE CONTROL IN CHILDHOOD DISORDERSBradley Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies should provide important new insights into the underlying neurobiological basis of each disorder. ..