- The crystal and solution studies of glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase from Candida albicans
Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, ul Noskowskiego 12 14, 61 704 Poznan, Poland
J Mol Biol 372:672-88. 2007
..This study of Gfa1p focuses on the features that distinguish it from the prokaryotic homologue in terms of quaternary structure, control of the enzymatic activity and details of the isomerase active site...
- Crystal structure of glucokinase regulatory protein
Departments of Lead Identification and Optimization Support, CardioMetabolic Diseases Research, CNS Diseases Research, Drug Discovery Support, BP Process Science, and Medicinal Chemistry, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH and Company KG, Biberach an der Riss, Germany
Biochemistry 52:3523-31. 2013
..The structure of the inactive GKRP-F1P complex provides a starting point for understanding the mechanism of fructose phosphate-dependent GK regulation at an atomic level. ..
- Differences in regulatory properties between human and rat glucokinase regulatory protein
Katy J Brocklehurst
Cardiovascular and Gastrointestinal Department, AstraZeneca, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 4TG, UK
Biochem J 378:693-7. 2004
..Residues that are not conserved between the rodent and human proteins affect both the affinity for fructose 6-phosphate and sorbitol 6-phosphate and the inhibitory potency of GKRP on glucokinase in the absence of these ligands...
- Structure and catalytic mechanism of glucosamine 6-phosphate deaminase from Escherichia coli at 2.1 A resolution
Instituto de Fisica de Sao Carlos, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Structure 3:1323-32. 1995
..The determination of the structure of this protein provides fundamental knowledge for understanding its mode of action and the nature of allosteric conformational changes that regulate its function...
- Identification of fructose 6-phosphate- and fructose 1-phosphate-binding residues in the regulatory protein of glucokinase
Laboratory of Physiological Chemistry, University of Louvain and Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Biol Chem 277:8466-73. 2002
..These results are consistent with GKRP having one single binding site for phosphate esters. They also show that a missense mutation of GKRP can lead to a gain of function...
- Accumulation of glucose 6-phosphate or fructose 6-phosphate is responsible for destabilization of glucose transporter mRNA in Escherichia coli
Division of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:15608-14. 2003
..We conclude that the RNase E-dependent destabilization of ptsG mRNA occurs in response to accumulation of glucose-6-P or fructose-6-P...
- Crystal structure of the hypoxia-inducible form of 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase/fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase (PFKFB3): a possible new target for cancer therapy
Song Gun Kim
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803, USA
J Biol Chem 281:2939-44. 2006
..This finding suggests that a molecule in which EDTA is covalently linked to ADP is a good starting molecule for the development of new cancer-therapeutic molecules...
- Involvement of the C terminus in intramolecular nitrogen channeling in glucosamine 6-phosphate synthase: evidence from a 1.6 A crystal structure of the isomerase domain
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Germany
Structure 6:1047-55. 1998
..Knowledge of the three-dimensional structure of GlmS is essential for understanding the general principles of catalysis by ketol isomerases and the mechanism of nitrogen transfer in glutamine amidotransferases...
- A direct substrate-substrate interaction found in the kinase domain of the bifunctional enzyme, 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase/fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase
Song Gun Kim
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
J Mol Biol 370:14-26. 2007
..The site-directed mutant study and inhibition kinetics suggest that this reaction will be catalyzed most efficiently by the protein when the substrates bind to the active pocket in an ordered manner in which ATP binds first...
- Isozyme analysis of human polymorphonuclear leukocyte phosphofructokinase from insulin resistant individuals
Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 225:975-82. 1996
- Leishmania donovani phosphofructokinase. Gene characterization, biochemical properties and structure-modeling studies
Instituto de Biologia Experimental, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Eur J Biochem 269:3978-89. 2002
..Modelling studies and site-directed mutagenesis were employed to shed light on the structural basis for the AMP effector specificity and on ATP/PPi specificity among PFKs...
- Integrated effects of multiple modulators on human liver glycogen phosphorylase a
Metabolic Research Laboratory and Section of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nutrition, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E29-37. 2002
..Of these effectors, only glucose changes greatly in vivo. Thus it may be the major regulator of HLGPa activity...
- Isomerase activity of the C-terminal fructose-6-phosphate binding domain of glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase from Escherichia coli
Institute of Biophysics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia
J Enzyme Inhib 16:373-80. 2001
..The fructose-6P binding domain possibly includes a regulatory site, different from the catalytic center of the enzyme...
- Expression of key substrate cycle enzymes in rat spermatogenic cells: fructose 1,6 bisphosphatase and 6 phosphofructose 1-kinase
Alejandro J Yañez
Instituto de Bioquimica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Austral de Chile, Valdivia, Chile
J Cell Physiol 212:807-16. 2007
- Pyruvate kinase from Lactobacillus bulgaricus: possible regulation by competition between strong and weak effectors
G Le Bras
Laboratoire d Enzymologie du Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Gif sur Yvette, France
Biochimie 75:797-802. 1993
- Effects of oral administration of sodium citrate or acetate to pigs on blood parameters, postmortem glycolysis, muscle pH decline, and quality attributes of pork
J W Stephens
Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66506, USA
J Anim Sci 86:1669-77. 2008
..10). There was no significant inhibition of the PFK enzyme by orally administered CIT or ACE; however, the PFK glycolytic metabolite data analysis indicated that PFK was a main regulatory enzyme in postmortem muscle...
- The glycosomal ATP-dependent phosphofructokinase of Trypanosoma brucei must have evolved from an ancestral pyrophosphate-dependent enzyme
P A Michels
International Institute of Cellular and Molecular Pathology and Laboratory of Biochemistry, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Biochem 250:698-704. 1997
..brucei PFK shows many structural differences, even at the active site, when compared with other ATP-dependent PFKs. These differences offer great potential for the structure-based design of trypanocidal drugs...
- Crystal structures of the effector-binding domain of repressor Central glycolytic gene Regulator from Bacillus subtilis reveal ligand-induced structural changes upon binding of several glycolytic intermediates
Department of Biochemistry, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA
Mol Microbiol 69:895-910. 2008
..Our results suggest that CggR stability and function may be modulated by various effectors in a complex fashion...
- MgATP-dependent activation by phosphoenolpyruvate of the E187A mutant of Escherichia coli phosphofructokinase
A S Pham
Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Biochemistry 40:4150-8. 2001
..The present study examines the role of Glu 187 at the allosteric site in the binding of Fru-6-P and offers a more complex explanation of the mechanism than that described by traditional allosteric mechanistic models...
- A deeper investigation on carbohydrate cycling in Sinorhizobium meliloti
, UMR CNRS 6022, , , 33 rue Saint Leu, 80039 Cedex, Amiens, France
FEBS Lett 499:45-9. 2001
..Furthermore, carbohydrate cycling in S. meliloti is also observed on fructose, making the situation in this bacterium significantly different from that depicted for alginate-synthesizing species...
- Antibiotic overproduction in Streptomyces coelicolor A3 2 mediated by phosphofructokinase deletion
Center for Microbial Biotechnology, BioCentrum DTU, Technical University of Denmark, 2800 Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
J Biol Chem 283:25186-99. 2008
- Peripheral glucose metabolism is altered by epileptic seizures
Fernanda K S Pereira
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Antonio Carlos 6627, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Metab Brain Dis 23:105-14. 2008
..6-fold higher than that observed in resistant rats and that the audiogenic stimulus led to decreased concentration of this receptor in the muscle of WAR animals...
- Creation of an allosteric phosphofructokinase starting with a nonallosteric enzyme. The case of dictyostelium discoideum phosphofructokinase
Departamento de Bioquímica and Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas Alberto Sols UAM CSIC, Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad Autonoma, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 277:1210-6. 2002
- Characterisation of glutamine fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase (EC 220.127.116.11) and N-acetylglucosamine metabolism in Bifidobacterium
School of Life Sciences, Napier University, Edinburgh, EH10 5DT, UK
Arch Microbiol 189:157-67. 2008
..This is of interest considering the apparently reduced coding potential in bifidobacteria for enzymes associated with glutamine metabolism...
- Muscle metabolic responses during 16 hours of intermittent heavy exercise
H J Green
Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 85:634-45. 2007
..It is concluded that repetitive heavy exercise results in less of a disturbance in phosphorylation potential, possibly as a result of increased mitochondrial respiration during the rest-to-work non-steady-state transition...
- Purification and kinetic properties of 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase from gilthead sea bream muscle
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Barcelona, Diagonal 643, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1770:706-15. 2007
..Unlike the mammalian muscle enzyme, our findings support that phosphorylation of PFKM may exert a major role during starvation in fish muscle...
- Crystal structure of human phosphoglucose isomerase and analysis of the initial catalytic steps
A T Cordeiro
Laboratory of Protein Crystallography and Structural Biology, Physics Institute of São Carlos, University of Sao Paulo USP, Av Trabalhador Saocarlense 400, PO Box 369, 13566 590 Sao Carlos SP, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1645:117-22. 2003
- The structures of inhibitor complexes of Pyrococcus furiosus phosphoglucose isomerase provide insights into substrate binding and catalysis
John M Berrisford
The Krebs Institute for Biomolecular Research, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
J Mol Biol 343:649-57. 2004
..These similarities suggest that aspects of the catalytic mechanisms of these two structurally unrelated PGIs may be similar and based on an enediol intermediate...
- Enzyme-to-enzyme channeling in the early steps of glycolysis in rat pancreatic islets
Willy J Malaisse
Laboratory of Experimental Hormonology, Brussels Free University, Brussels, Belgium
Endocrine 24:105-9. 2004
- Inactivation of sll1556 in Synechocystis strain PCC 6803 impairs isoprenoid biosynthesis from pentose phosphate cycle substrates in vitro
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics, Microbiology Building, Campus Dr, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Bacteriol 186:4685-93. 2004
..Our findings are consistent with an alternate metabolic shunt for biosynthesis of isoprenoids...
- Quantitative estimation of channeling from early glycolytic intermediates to CO in intact Escherichia coli
Department of Biology, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
FEBS J 272:3260-9. 2005
..The data also suggest that, in addition to pathway enzymes being associated with one another, some are free in the aqueous cytosol. How sensitive the degree of channeling is to growth or experimental conditions remains to be determined...
- Emetine inhibits glycolysis in isolated, perfused rat hearts
Shujia J Pan
Department of Kinesiology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
Cardiovasc Toxicol 3:311-8. 2003
..Homogenate centrifugation studies indicate that emetine acts on bound rather than unbound phosphofructokinase. The inhibition may be uncompetitive in nature...
- Disentangling the web of allosteric communication in a homotetramer: heterotropic inhibition of phosphofructokinase from Bacillus stearothermophilus
Allison D Ortigosa
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics and Center for Advanced Biomolecular Research, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 2128, USA
Biochemistry 43:577-86. 2004
..The results do not agree with either the concerted or sequential models that are often invoked to explain allosteric behavior in oligomeric enzymes...
- Excess mannose limits the growth of phosphomannose isomerase PMI40 deletion strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Juha Pekka Pitkänen
MediCel Ltd, Haartmaninkatu 8, FIN 00290 Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 279:55737-43. 2004
- Effect of 6-phosphogluconate on phosphoglucose isomerase in rat brain in vitro and in vivo
M K Gaitonde
Department of Biochemistry, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, England
J Neurochem 52:1348-52. 1989
..No significant changes were observed in the values of Km, Vmax, and Ki for phosphoglucose isomerase in the brain of 6-aminonicotinamide-treated rats.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Development of a quantification system of ionic dissociative metabolites using an FT-IR/ATR method
Department of Sustainable Resource Sciences, Faculty of Bioresources, Mie University, 1515 Kamihama cho, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 26:133-9. 2003
..In addition, the stability of quantification results for a pK shift was also verified...
- Isoenzymes of phosphofructokinase in the rat. Demonstration of the three non-identical subunits by biochemical, immunochemical and kinetic studies
Biochem J 229:333-41. 1985
- Crystal structure of Pyrococcus furiosus phosphoglucose isomerase. Implications for substrate binding and catalysis
John M Berrisford
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Krebs Institute for Biomolecular Research, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:33290-7. 2003
- Control of phosphofructokinase from rat skeletal muscle. Effects of fructose diphosphate, AMP, ATP, and citrate
J Biol Chem 251:7322-8. 1976
..Citrate is a potent inhibitor at physiological concentrations, whereas AMP is a strong activator. Both AMP and citrate affect the maximum velocity and have little effect on affinity of the enzyme for fructose diphosphate...
- Exploring the active site of Trypanosoma brucei phosphofructokinase by inhibition studies: specific irreversible inhibition
Laboratoire Synthèse et Physico Chimie de Molécules d Intérêt Biologique UMR CNRS 5068, Universite Paul Sabatier, 118 route de Narbonne, 31062 Toulouse Cedex, France
Biochemistry 41:10183-93. 2002
..This first example of a specific irreversible inactivation of T. brucei PFK offers an opportunity to develop biologically active compounds against the sleeping sickness, the causative agent of which is the trypanosome...
- [Recent advance in the discovery of allosteric inhibitors binding to the AMP site of fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase]
Zhan Mei Li
Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100050, China
Yao Xue Xue Bao 46:1291-300. 2011
..Recent research efforts were reviewed in the field of developing allosteric inhibitors interacting with the AMP binding site of FBPase...
- The utilization of fructose by Escherichia coli. Properties of a mutant defective in fructose 1-phosphate kinase activity
Biochem J 132:341-7. 1973
..In contrast, the equally rapid but more extensive uptake of [(14)C]fructose by the parent organism required prior growth in the presence of fructose...
- Regulation of sucrose and starch synthesis in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) leaves: role of fructose 2,6-bisphosphate
S J Trevanion
IACR Rothamsted, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ, UK
Planta 215:653-65. 2002
..However F26BP does not appear to be involved in regulating the partitioning of fixed carbon between sucrose and starch in wheat under the experimental conditions examined...
- Salt-regulated mannitol metabolism in algae
Functional Biosciences, Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8572, Japan
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 7:407-15. 2005
..In this review we focus on the metabolism of mannitol, mainly in marine photosynthetic organisms, and suggest how this might be applied to producing salt-tolerant transgenic plants...
- Cooperative effect of fructose bisphosphate and glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase on aldolase action
Institute of Enzymology, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest
Biochim Biophys Acta 1037:307-12. 1990
- Examination of intrinsic sulfonamide resistance in Bacillus anthracis: a novel assay for dihydropteroate synthase
Michelle Wright Valderas
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, 250 Mc Elroy Hall, Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1780:848-53. 2008
..anthracis DHPS results in part from the use of the sulfonamides as alternative substrates, resulting in the formation of sulfonamide-pterin adducts, and not necessarily due to an inability to bind them...
- Profiling of pentose phosphate pathway intermediates in blood spots by tandem mass spectrometry: application to transaldolase deficiency
Jojanneke H J Huck
Department of Pediatrics, VU University Medical Centre, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Chem 49:1375-80. 2003
..We hypothesized that they are derived from sugar phosphate intermediates of the pentose phosphate pathway (PPP), and we developed a semiquantitative method for profiling of pentose phosphate pathway intermediates...
- Enzymic activities in two populations of purified rat islet beta-cells
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine, Brussels Free University, B-1070 Brussels, Belgium
Int J Mol Med 8:285-9. 2001
..These findings thus argue against a low expression of either low-Km hexokinase(s) or lactate dehydrogenase as major determinants of the glucose-sensing device in beta-cells...
- Carnosine protects against the inactivation of esterase induced by glycation and a steroid
Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology, University of Oxford, Walton St, Oxford OX2 6AW, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1741:120-6. 2005
..Carnosine decreased the extent of the cross-linking. These results provide further evidence for carnosine's role as an anti-glycation compound. It is also proposed that carnosine may be an anti-steroid agent...
- Leishmania mexicana mexicana glucose-6-phosphate isomerase: crystallization, molecular-replacement solution and inhibition
Artur T Cordeiro
Laboratory of Protein Crystallography and Structural Biology, Physics Institute of São Carlos, University of Sao Paulo, USP, Av Trabalhador Saocarlense 400, PO Box 369, 13566 590 Sao Carlos SP, Brazil
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 60:915-9. 2004
..3 A in space group P6(1), with unit-cell parameters a = b = 87.0, c = 354.7 A, alpha = beta = 90, gamma = 120 degrees. A preliminary study of the first inhibitors to be evaluated on the Leishmania enzyme is also reported...
- Low rate of glucose 6-phosphate hydrolysis in liver cells is a physiological feature of non-diabetic wild sand rats (Psammomys obesus)
E A Koceir
INSERM E 0221 Bioénergétique Fondamentale et Appliquée, Universite Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
Diabetes Metab 29:363-74. 2003
..Psammomys obesus is a natural model of insulin resistance when fed a rodent laboratory chow...
- Inhibition of type I and type II phosphomannose isomerases by the reaction intermediate analogue 5-phospho-D-arabinonohydroxamic acid supports a catalytic role for the metal cofactor
Laboratoire de Chimie Bioorganique et Bioinorganique, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8124, Institut de Chimie Moleculaire et des Materiaux d Orsay, Batiment 420, Universite Paris Sud XI, 91405 Orsay, France
Biochemistry 43:2926-34. 2004
..All together, our results are consistent with a catalytic role for the metal cofactor in PMI activity...
- D-Fructose-6-phosphate aldolase-catalyzed one-pot synthesis of iminocyclitols
Department of Chemistry and The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:14811-7. 2007
..Facile access to these compounds makes them attractive core structures for further inhibitor optimization...
- Characterization of the Aspergillus fumigatus phosphomannose isomerase Pmi1 and its impact on cell wall synthesis and morphogenesis
Key Laboratory of Systematic Mycology and Lichenology, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, PR China
Microbiology 155:3281-93. 2009
..Our results reveal that PMI activity is essential for viability and plays a central regulatory role in both cell wall synthesis and energy production in A. fumigatus...
- The enzyme thermistor--a realistic biosensor concept. A critical review
Department of Biochemistry and Structural Biology, Lund University, PO Box 124, 22100 Lund, Sweden
Anal Chim Acta 766:1-12. 2013
..Another recent method is the determination of fructose using a fructose-6-phosphate kinase column. Operation with complex sample matrices such as blood, plasma and milk and how to avoid non-specific temperature effects are considered...
- Characterization of phosphofructokinase activity in Mycobacterium tuberculosis reveals that a functional glycolytic carbon flow is necessary to limit the accumulation of toxic metabolic intermediates under hypoxia
Wai Yee Phong
Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases, Singapore, Singapore
PLoS ONE 8:e56037. 2013
..Such toxic effect is exacerbated when the glycolytic pathway is disrupted at the PKF step...
- Affinity labeling of Escherichia coli glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase with a fructose 6-phosphate analog--evidence for proximity between the N-terminal cysteine and the fructose-6-phosphate-binding site
Institut de Chimie des Substances Naturelles, UPR 2301 CNRS, Gif sur Yvette, France
Eur J Biochem 245:418-22. 1997
..These results provide evidence for the close proximity of glutamine and fructose-6-phosphate-binding sites recently suggested by Bearne [Bearne, S. L. (1996) J. Biol. Chem. 271, 3052-3057]...
- Biosynthesis of levan, a bacterial extracellular polysaccharide, in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Institute for Wine Biotechnology, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
PLoS ONE 8:e77499. 2013
..Furthermore, the work provides interesting perspectives when considering the heterologous expression of sugar polymerizing enzymes in yeast. ..
- Muscle metabolism and performance improvement after two training programmes of sprint running differing in rest interval duration
Department of Physical Education and Sport Science, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Sports Sci 29:1167-74. 2011
..This may be due to a greater activation of glycolysis caused, in part, by the limited resynthesis of phosphocreatine during the very short rest interval...
- In vitro binding of the pleiotropic transcriptional regulatory protein, FruR, to the fru, pps, ace, pts and icd operons of Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium
T M Ramseier
Department of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0116
J Mol Biol 234:28-44. 1993
..Computer searches revealed the presence of this sequence in numerous functionally diverse operons, implying that FruR is a global transcriptional regulatory protein in enteric bacteria...
- Influence of MgADP on phosphofructokinase from Escherichia coli. Elucidation of coupling interactions with both substrates
J L Johnson
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Oklahoma, Norman 73019
Biochemistry 33:2635-43. 1994
..For both activating and inhibitory couplings, the enthalpy and entropy terms have the same sign as the coupling free energy.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Properties of recombinant ATP-dependent fructokinase from the halotolerant methanotroph Methylomicrobium alcaliphilum 20Z
S Y But
Skryabin Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms, Russian Academy of Sciences, pr Nauki 5, 142290 Pushchino, Moscow Region, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 77:372-7. 2012
..The involvement of fructokinase in sucrose metabolism in M. alcaliphilum 20Z and other methanotrophs and autotrophs is discussed...
- Modulation of the interaction between aldolase and glycerol-phosphate dehydrogenase by fructose phosphates
B G Vertessy
Institute of Enzymology, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest
Biochim Biophys Acta 1078:236-42. 1991
..The possible molecular mechanism of the fructose-1,6-bisphosphate modulated interaction is discussed...
- Active-site mutants altering the cooperativity of E. coli phosphofructokinase
S A Berger
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
Nature 343:575-6. 1990
..These results show that each of the three arginines contributes to cooperativity and to the transmission of allosteric signals between the four subunit of the enzyme...
- Active-site remodelling in the bifunctional fructose-1,6-bisphosphate aldolase/phosphatase
Lehrstuhl für Biochemie, Institut fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Albert Ludwigs Universitat Freiburg, Albertstrasse 21, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Nature 478:534-7. 2011
- Does regulatory protein play a role in glucokinase localization?
F B Reitz
Center for Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7962, U S A
Horm Metab Res 29:317-21. 1997
..These results suggest that glucokinase regulatory protein may play a role in metabolism-sensitive glucokinase localization in vivo...
- Crystal structure of a trapped phosphoenzyme during a catalytic reaction
Y H Lee
Nat Struct Biol 4:615-8. 1997
..The geometry suggests that the dephosphorylation step requires prior removal of the product for an 'associative in-line' phosphoryl transfer to the catalytic water...
- Functional nonequivalence of transketolase active centers
German A Kochetov
A N Belozersky Institute of Physico Chemical Biology, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
IUBMB Life 62:797-802. 2010
..In this article, we review experimental evidence of functional nonequivalence of the two active centers of TK, which are known to be identical by crystal X-ray structure analysis...
- Identification and characterization of genes underlying chitinolysis in Collimonas fungivorans Ter331
Netherlands Institute of Ecology NIOO KNAW, Heteren, The Netherlands
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 66:123-35. 2008
..No link could be established between chitinolysis and antifungal activity of C. fungivorans Ter331, suggesting that the bacterium's reported antagonism towards fungi relies on other mechanisms...
- Malate dehydrogenase of the cytosol. Preparation and reduced nicotinamide-adenine dinucleotide-binding studies
Biochem J 169:577-88. 1978
..K., from whom copies may be obtained under the terms given in Biochem. J. (1978) 169, 5...
- Steady-state fluorescence of Escherichia coli phosphofructokinase reveals a regulatory role for ATP
S A Berger
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, England
Biochemistry 30:8477-80. 1991
..coli PFK exists in a state with high affinity for Fru6P ("R" state). This state can be altered to a low affinity ("T" state) by PEP binding to the allosteric site or by ATP binding to the enzyme...
- Glucokinase and glucokinase regulatory proteins are functionally coexpressed before birth in the rat brain
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
J Neuroendocrinol 21:973-81. 2009
..Our findings indicate that both proteins may be functionally active before birth and that they can act within a glucose sensor system involved in controlling food intake...
- Study of hereditary fructose intolerance by use of 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy
R D Oberhaensli
MRC Clinical Magnetic Resonance Facility, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
Lancet 2:931-4. 1987
..The effect of fructose on liver Pi and plasma urate was most pronounced in heterozygotes with gout (n = 3). Heterozygosity for HFI may predispose to hyperuricaemia...
- Substrate antagonism in the kinetic mechanism of E. coli phosphofructokinase-1
Laboratoire d Enzymologie du CNRS, Gif sur Yvette, France
FEBS Lett 290:173-6. 1991
..The antagonism between ATP and fructose-6-phosphate shows that a negative interaction occurs during the reaction with E. coli phosphofructokinase-1 which must be considered in addition to its allosteric properties...
- Underestimation of the pentose-phosphate pathway in intact primary neurons as revealed by metabolic flux analysis
Institute of Functional Biology and Genomics IBFG, University of Salamanca CSIC, Salamanca, Spain
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 33:1843-5. 2013
..8-fold the PPP rate. Thus, in neurons, a considerable fraction of fructose-6-phosphate returning from the PPP contributes to the G6P pool that re-enters PPP, largely underestimating its flux. ..
- The ancestral activation promiscuity of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylases from oxygenic photosynthetic organisms
Misty L Kuhn
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Loyola University Chicago, 1032 W, Sheridan Rd, Chicago, IL 60660, USA
BMC Evol Biol 13:51. 2013
- Structure-based development of small molecule PFKFB3 inhibitors: a framework for potential cancer therapeutic agents targeting the Warburg effect
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24179. 2011
..This study validates PFKFB3 as a target for new cancer therapies and provides a framework for future development efforts...
- Changes in the contents of metabolites and enzyme activities in rice plants responding to Rhizoctonia solani Kuhn infection: activation of glycolysis and connection to phenylpropanoid pathway
J Musembi Mutuku
Saga University, Faculty of Agriculture, 1 Honjo Machi, Saga City, 840 8502 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 53:1017-32. 2012
- Resolving the sources of plasma glucose excursions following a glucose tolerance test in the rat with deuterated water and [U-13C]glucose
Teresa C Delgado
Intermediary Metabolism Group, Center for Neurosciences and Cell Biology, Coimbra, Portugal
PLoS ONE 7:e34042. 2012
..In rats that were placed on high-fat diet, the development of glucose intolerance was associated with a significantly higher gluconeogenic contribution to plasma glucose levels after the load...
- Anomeric specificity of D-glucose production by rat hepatocytes
W J Malaisse
Laboratory of Experimental Hormonology ULB and High Resolution NMR Centre VUB, Brussels Free Universities, Brussels, Belgium
Mol Cell Biochem 266:145-50. 2004
- Molecular cloning and characterization of Plasmodium falciparum transketolase
Division of Biochemistry, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow 226001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Mol Biochem Parasitol 160:32-41. 2008
..The availability of a structural model of PfTk and the observed differences in its kinetic properties compared to the host enzyme may facilitate designing of novel inhibitors of PfTk with potential anti-malarial activity...
- The glycosylation pathway of Eimeria tenella is upregulated during gametocyte development and may play a role in oocyst wall formation
Robert A Walker
Institute for the Biotechnology of Infectious Diseases, University of Technology, Sydney, New South Wales 2007, Australia
Eukaryot Cell 9:127-35. 2010
..tenella sexual stages and may play a role in directing a number of macrogamete proteins to the developing oocyst wall...
- Endogenous effectors of human liver glycogen phosphorylase modulate effects of indole-site inhibitors
Metabolic Research Laboratory, Section of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Nutrition, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E366-72. 2005
..However, at higher concentrations (10-30 microM), the GPI effect was dominant and resulted in inhibition of phosphorylase a activity irrespective of the presence or absence of the other modulators of the enzyme...
- Noninvasive analysis of hepatic glycogen kinetics before and after breakfast with deuterated water and acetaminophen
John G Jones
NMR Research Unit, Department of Biochemistry and Center for Neurosciences and Cell Biology, Faculty of Sciences and Technology, University of Coimbra, 3001 401 Coimbra, Portugal
Diabetes 55:2294-300. 2006
..Unlike current measurements of human hepatic glycogen metabolism, the (2)H(2)O/acetaminophen assay does not require specialized on-site clinical equipment or personnel...
- The crystal structure of ATP-bound phosphofructokinase from Trypanosoma brucei reveals conformational transitions different from those of other phosphofructokinases
Iain W McNae
Structural Biochemistry Group, Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, King s Buildings, Edinburgh, Scotland
J Mol Biol 385:1519-33. 2009
..brucei PFK compared with bacterial and mammalian PFKs give optimism for the discovery of species-specific drugs for the treatment of diseases caused by protist parasites of the trypanosomatid family...
- Gene cloning and catalysis features of a new mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase (BbMPD) from Beauveria bassiana
Zheng Liang Wang
Institute of Microbiology, College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310058, People s Republic of China
Carbohydr Res 345:50-4. 2010
..0 and was much more sensitive to Cu(2+) and Zn(2+) than to Li(+) and Mn(2+). The results indicate a crucial role of BbMPD in the mannitol biosynthesis of B. bassiana...
- Strain and near attack conformers in enzymic thiamin catalysis: X-ray crystallographic snapshots of bacterial transketolase in covalent complex with donor ketoses xylulose 5-phosphate and fructose 6-phosphate, and in noncovalent complex with acceptor aldo
Institut für Biochemie Biotechnologie, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Kurt Mothes Strasse 3, 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Biochemistry 46:12037-52. 2007
- Localization of phosphoglucose isomerase in Escherichia coli and its relation to the induction of the hexose phosphate transport system
J Bacteriol 112:1201-5. 1972
..S6P was not taken by intact cells. The data indicate that the isomerization of F6P to G6P can take place on the cell surface, and this explains the indirect induction of hexose phosphate transport by F6P...
- Clotrimazole potentiates the inhibitory effects of ATP on the key glycolytic enzyme 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase
Mariah Celestino Marcondes
Laboratório de Oncobiologia Molecular LabOMol and Laboratório de Enzimologia e Controle do Metabolismo LabECoM, Departamento de Fármacos, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 590, Brazil
Arch Biochem Biophys 497:62-7. 2010
..Altogether, the results presented here suggest that PFK inhibition by CTZ involves a decrease in the affinity of PFK for its substrates at the catalytic site with the concomitant potentiation of the inhibitory properties of ATP...
- Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase/phosphatase may be an ancestral gluconeogenic enzyme
Rafael F Say
Mikrobiologie, Fakultat Biologie, Universitat Freiburg, Schanzlestrasse 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Nature 464:1077-81. 2010
..We propose that this highly conserved, heat-stabile and bifunctional FBP aldolase/phosphatase represents the pace-making ancestral gluconeogenic enzyme, and that in evolution gluconeogenesis preceded glycolysis...
- Unfolding pathway of the dimeric and tetrameric forms of phosphofructokinase-2 from Escherichia coli
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
Biochemistry 46:6141-8. 2007
- Expression and purification of active human internal His(6)-tagged L-glutamine: D-Fructose-6P amidotransferase I
Institut de Chimie des Substances Naturelles, ICSN CNRS, Avenue de la Terrasse, 91198 Gif sur Yvette, France
Protein Expr Purif 54:45-53. 2007
..The stimulation of hydrolysis of the alternate substrate L-glutamine para-nitroanilide by D-fructose-6P (Fru-6P) afforded a K(d) of 5 microM for Fru-6P...
- The crystal complex of phosphofructokinase-2 of Escherichia coli with fructose-6-phosphate: kinetic and structural analysis of the allosteric ATP inhibition
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Biol Chem 286:5774-83. 2011
..Differences and resemblances in the patterns of fructose-6-P binding and the mechanism of inhibition are discussed for Pfk-1 and Pfk-2, as an example of evolutionary convergence, because these enzymes do not share a common ancestor...
- Glucose-6-phosphate isomerase deficiency results in mTOR activation, failed translocation of lipin 1α to the nucleus and hypersensitivity to glucose: Implications for the inherited glycolytic disease
Jorge F Haller
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Boston University School of Medicine, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1812:1393-402. 2011
..These results shed light on the mechanism underlying the pathologies associated with inherited GPI deficiency and the variability in the severity of the symptoms observed in these patients...
- Revised procedures for yeast metabolites extraction: application to a glucose pulse to carbon-limited yeast cultures, which reveals a transient activation of the purine salvage pathway
Marie Odile Loret
Laboratoire de Biotechnologie et Bioprocédés, UMR CNRS 5504, UMR INRA 792, Avenue de Rangueil, 31077 Toulouse Cedex 04, France
Yeast 24:47-60. 2007
..This metabolic perturbation was accompanied by a rapid increase in the activity of the ISN1-encoded specific IMP-5'-nucleotidase. The mechanism of this activation remains to be determined...
- Evidence for impaired gluconeogenesis in very long-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase-deficient mice
Department of General Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Horm Metab Res 38:625-30. 2006
..Whether this is due to lack of a substrate, inhibitory effects on other gluconeogenic enzymes or impaired transcription of gluconeogenic enzymes needs to be resolved in the future...
- Methylglyoxal is an intermediate in the biosynthesis of 6-deoxy-5-ketofructose-1-phosphate: a precursor for aromatic amino acid biosynthesis in Methanocaldococcus jannaschii
Robert H White
Department of Biochemistry 0308, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
Biochemistry 45:12366-79. 2006
..This work is the first report of methylglyoxal functioning in central metabolism...
- Characterization of hyperthermostable fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase from Thermococcus onnurineus NA1
Yeol Gyun Lee
Division of Life Science, Korea Basic Science Institute, Daejeon, 305 806, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 48:803-7. 2010
..However, this enzyme shows a different range of substrate specificities. These results suggest that TNA1-Fbp can establish new criterion for class V FBPases...
- Simultaneous quantification of metabolites involved in central carbon and energy metabolism using reversed-phase liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry and in vitro 13C labeling
Wen Chu Yang
Bindley Bioscience Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Anal Chem 80:9508-16. 2008
..Thirty common metabolites involved in glycolysis, the pentose phosphate pathway, and tricarboxylic acid cycle were identified and quantified from yeast lysate with a relative standard deviation of less than 10%...
- Structure of a ternary complex of an allosteric lactate dehydrogenase from Bacillus stearothermophilus at 2.5 A resolution
D B Wigley
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, U K
J Mol Biol 223:317-35. 1992
..His188 is connected to His195 (which binds the carbonyl group of the substrate) and Arg173 is connected to Arg171 (the residue that binds the carboxylate group of the substrate)...
- Hepatic intralobular mapping of fructose metabolism in the rat liver
S P Burns
Cell Regulation Unit, Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Medicine, 5th Floor Alexandra Wing, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Whitechapel Road, London E1 1BB, UK
Biochem J 349:539-45. 2000
..It may be inferred that fructokinase activity is expressed throughout the hepatic lobule...