Genomes and Genes
Summary: Carbohydrates consisting of between two (DISACCHARIDES) and ten MONOSACCHARIDES connected by either an alpha- or beta-glycosidic link. They are found throughout nature in both the free and bound form.
Publications362 found, 100 shown here
- Oligosaccharides of Hyaluronan activate dendritic cells via toll-like receptor 4Christian Termeer
Department of Dermatology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg D 79104, Germany
J Exp Med 195:99-111. 2002..In conclusion, this is the first report that polysaccharide degradation products of the extracellular matrix produced during inflammation might serve as an endogenous ligand for the TLR-4 complex on DCs...
- Analysis of immunoglobulin glycosylation by LC-ESI-MS of glycopeptides and oligosaccharidesJohannes Stadlmann
Department of Chemistry, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences BOKU, Vienna, Austria
Proteomics 8:2858-71. 2008..g., termini, can be extracted from the same data. In the second LC-ESI-MS method, released oligosaccharides are separated on porous graphitic carbon (PGC)...
- The absence of fucose but not the presence of galactose or bisecting N-acetylglucosamine of human IgG1 complex-type oligosaccharides shows the critical role of enhancing antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicityToyohide Shinkawa
Tokyo Research Laboratories, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co, Ltd, 3 6 6 Asahi machi, Machida shi, Tokyo 194 8533, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:3466-73. 2003..composition and oligosaccharide profiling analysis showed that low fucose (Fuc) content of complex-type oligosaccharides was characteristic in YB2/0-produced IgG1s compared with high Fuc content of CHO-produced IgG1s...
- Bacteroides in the infant gut consume milk oligosaccharides via mucus-utilization pathwaysAngela Marcobal
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford School of Medicine, CA 94305, USA
Cell Host Microbe 10:507-14. 2011..Nursing infants consume human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) that pass undigested to the distal gut, where they may be digested by microbes...
- Intracellular functions of N-linked glycansA Helenius
Institute of Biochemistry, , , , Switzerland
Science 291:2364-9. 2001N-linked oligosaccharides arise when blocks of 14 sugars are added cotranslationally to newly synthesized polypeptides in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER)...
- Human milk oligosaccharides: every baby needs a sugar mamaLars Bode
Division of Neonatology and Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Glycobiology 22:1147-62. 2012Human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) are a family of structurally diverse unconjugated glycans that are highly abundant in and unique to human milk...
- Carbohydrate-mediated cell adhesion in cancer metastasis and angiogenesisReiji Kannagi
Division of Molecular Pathology, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Cancer Sci 95:377-84. 2004..Considerable new knowledge has also been accumulated regarding the therapeutic implications for suppression of hematogenous metastasis targeting this cell adhesion system...
- Prebiotic oligosaccharides: in vitro evidence for gastrointestinal epithelial transfer and immunomodulatory propertiesThomas Eiwegger
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 21:1179-88. 2010Prebiotic oligosaccharides are present in breast milk and evidence is pointing toward immunomodulatory properties of the acidic fraction...
- Norovirus and histo-blood group antigens: demonstration of a wide spectrum of strain specificities and classification of two major binding groups among multiple binding patternsPengwei Huang
Division of Infectious Diseases, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Virol 79:6714-22. 2005..The high polymorphism of the human HBGA system, the involvement of multiple epitopes, and the typical protein/carbohydrate interaction between norovirus VLPs and HBGAs provide an explanation for the virus-ligand binding diversities...
- Bifidobacterium longum with fructo-oligosaccharides in patients with non alcoholic steatohepatitisMichele Malaguarnera
Department of Biological Chemistry, Medical Chemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Catania, Viale Andrea Doria, 6, 95125, Catania, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 57:545-53. 2012..Bifidobacteria are predominant bacterial species in the human gut microbiota and have been considered to exert a beneficial effect on human health by maintaining the equilibrium of the resident microbiota...
- Structure-function analysis of the human JC polyomavirus establishes the LSTc pentasaccharide as a functional receptor motifUrsula Neu
Interfaculty Institute for Biochemistry, University of Tubingen, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Cell Host Microbe 8:309-19. 2010..Current treatment options for PML are inadequate. Sialylated oligosaccharides and the serotonin receptor are known to be necessary for JCV entry, but the molecular interactions underlying ..
- Oligosaccharides in human milk: structural, functional, and metabolic aspectsC Kunz
Institut für Ernährung, Universitat Giessen, 35392 Giessen, Germany
Annu Rev Nutr 20:699-722. 2000Research on human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) has received much attention in recent years...
- Crystal structure of reovirus attachment protein σ1 in complex with sialylated oligosaccharidesDirk M Reiter
Interfaculty Institute of Biochemistry, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002166. 2011..All three oligosaccharides terminate in sialic acid, which serves as a receptor for the reovirus serotype studied here...
- Development of an annotated library of neutral human milk oligosaccharidesShuai Wu
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Proteome Res 9:4138-51. 2010Human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) perform a number of functions including serving as prebiotics to stimulate the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria, as receptor analogues to inhibit binding of pathogens, and as substances that ..
- Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis uses two different β-galactosidases for selectively degrading type-1 and type-2 human milk oligosaccharidesErina Yoshida
Research Institute for Bioresources and Biotechnology, Ishikawa Prefectural University, Nonoichi, Ishikawa 921 8836, Japan
Glycobiology 22:361-8. 2012The breast-fed infant intestine is often colonized by particular bifidobacteria, and human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) are considered to be bifidogenic. Recent studies showed that Bifidobacterium longum subsp...
- Transcutaneous assessment of renal function in conscious rats with a device for measuring FITC-sinistrin disappearance curvesDaniel Schock-Kusch
Medical Research Centre, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Kidney Int 79:1254-8. 2011..30 to 0.33 ml/min per 100 g body weight with 95% limit of agreement. Thus, with this device, renal function can be reliably measured in freely moving rats eliminating the need for and influence of anesthesia on renal function...
- Sequence determination of sulfated carrageenan-derived oligosaccharides by high-sensitivity negative-ion electrospray tandem mass spectrometryGuangli Yu
Institute of Marine Drug and Food, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, Shandong 266003, China
Anal Chem 78:8499-505. 2006..Carrageenan oligosaccharides with homogeneous disaccharide compositions were used to establish their fragmentation pattern, which was then ..
- Heparan sulfate/heparin oligosaccharides protect stromal cell-derived factor-1 (SDF-1)/CXCL12 against proteolysis induced by CD26/dipeptidyl peptidase IVRabia Sadir
Institut de Biologie Structurale, CNRS Commissariat à l Enérgie Atomique Université Joseph Fourier, Unité Mixte de Recherche 5075, 41 Rue Horowitz, 38027 Grenoble Cedex 01, France
J Biol Chem 279:43854-60. 2004..Finally a structural model of SDF-1, in complex with HS oligosaccharides of defined length, rationalizes the experimental data...
- The principal fucosylated oligosaccharides of human milk exhibit prebiotic properties on cultured infant microbiotaZhuo Teng Yu
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Glycobiology 23:169-77. 2013Breast-fed infant microbiota is typically rich in bifidobacteria. Herein, major human milk oligosaccharides (HMOS) are assessed for their ability to promote the growth of bifidobacteria and to acidify their environment, key features of ..
- The galectin CvGal1 from the eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) binds to blood group A oligosaccharides on the hemocyte surfaceChiguang Feng
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Maryland School of Medicine and Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology, Baltimore, Maryland 21202, USA
J Biol Chem 288:24394-409. 2013..study, a detailed glycan array analysis revealed that CvGal1 preferentially recognizes type 2 blood group A oligosaccharides. Homology modeling of the protein and its oligosaccharide ligands supported this preference over type 1 blood ..
- The binding properties of minimal oligosaccharides reveal a common heparan sulfate/dermatan sulfate-binding site in hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor that can accommodate a wide variety of sulfation patternsJon A Deakin
Cancer Research UK Glyco Oncology Group, School of Cancer and Imaging Sciences, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Rd, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:6311-21. 2009..shift assay to allow simultaneous comparisons of relative protein affinities/selectivities for different oligosaccharides. From this approach it would seem that a minimum binding sequence is a disulfated trisaccharide comprised of ..
- Tolerance of arabinoxylan-oligosaccharides and their prebiotic activity in healthy subjects: a randomised, placebo-controlled cross-over studyLieselotte Cloetens
Department of Gastrointestinal Research and Leuven Food Science and Nutrition Research Centre LFoRCe, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, K U Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Br J Nutr 103:703-13. 2010The tolerance and prebiotic effect following oral intake by healthy human subjects of arabinoxylan-oligosaccharides (AXOS), produced by partial enzymic hydrolysis of the wheat fibre arabinoxlyan, were studied...
- Identification of sulfated oligosaccharide-based inhibitors of tumor growth and metastasis using novel in vitro assays for angiogenesis and heparanase activityC R Parish
Division of Immunology and Cell Biology, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, Canberra
Cancer Res 59:3433-41. 1999..In this study, sulfated oligosaccharides, which are structural mimics of heparan sulfate, were investigated as drug candidates because these compounds ..
- Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of fructo-oligosaccharides in active Crohn's diseaseJane L Benjamin
Nutritional Sciences Division, King s College London, London, UK
Gut 60:923-9. 2011..In healthy subjects the intestinal microbiota are influenced by prebiotic carbohydrates such as fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS)...
- Prebiotic and other health-related effects of cereal-derived arabinoxylans, arabinoxylan-oligosaccharides, and xylooligosaccharidesWillem F Broekaert
Laboratory of Food Chemistry and Biochemistry and Leuven Food Science and Nutrition Research Centre LFoRCe, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 51:178-94. 2011..Enzymatic hydrolysis of AX yields arabinoxylan-oligosaccharides (AXOS), consisting of arabinoxylooligosaccharides and xylooligosaccharides (XOS)...
- Isolation of lactate-utilizing butyrate-producing bacteria from human feces and in vivo administration of Anaerostipes caccae strain L2 and galacto-oligosaccharides in a rat modelTadashi Sato
Yakult Central Institute for Microbiological Research, Yaho, Kunitachi shi, Tokyo, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 66:528-36. 2008..Anaerostipes caccae strain L2, one of the seven human fecal isolates, was administered to rats with galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS) as bifidogenic carbohydrates for stimulating lactate formation in the hindgut...
- Prebiotic oligosaccharides reduce stool viscosity and accelerate gastrointestinal transport in preterm infantsWalter A Mihatsch
Department of Paediatrics, Deaconry Hospital, Schwaebisch Hall, Germany
Acta Paediatr 95:843-8. 2006To investigate whether a mixture of prebiotic non-digestible oligosaccharides (GosFos; referring to galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides) would improve feeding tolerance in preterm infants on full enteral formula feeding...
- Consumption of human milk oligosaccharides by gut-related microbesAngela Marcobal
Department of Viticulture and Enology, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Agric Food Chem 58:5334-40. 2010Human milk contains large amounts of complex oligosaccharides that putatively modulate the intestinal microbiota of breast-fed infants by acting as decoy binding sites for pathogens and as prebiotics for enrichment of beneficial bacteria...
- The molecular basis of glycogen breakdown and transport in Streptococcus pneumoniaeD Wade Abbott
Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Victoria, PO Box 3055 STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada V8W 3P6
Mol Microbiol 77:183-99. 2010..pneumoniaealpha-glucan metabolizing machinery is glycogen, which in a human host is abundant in lung epithelial cells, a common target for invasive S. pneumoniae...
- Nursing our microbiota: molecular linkages between bifidobacteria and milk oligosaccharidesDavid A Sela
Microbiology Graduate Group, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Trends Microbiol 18:298-307. 2010..Accordingly, human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) are minimally digested by the infant and persist to negatively and positively regulate gut microbiota...
- Mapping the distribution of Golgi enzymes involved in the construction of complex oligosaccharidesC Rabouille
Cell Biology Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, UK
J Cell Sci 108:1617-27. 1995..distribution of Golgi enzymes and show that each of the trans compartments of the Golgi apparatus in HeLa cells contains unique mixtures of those Golgi enzymes involved in the construction of complex, N-linked oligosaccharides.
- Probiotics and prebiotic galacto-oligosaccharides in the prevention of allergic diseases: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialKaarina Kukkonen
Skin and Allergy Hospital, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 119:192-8. 2007..The increase in allergic diseases is attributed to a relative lack of microbial stimulation of the infantile gut immune system. Probiotics, live health-promoting microbes, might offer such stimulation...
- Oligosaccharide microarrays for high-throughput detection and specificity assignments of carbohydrate-protein interactionsShigeyuki Fukui
Glycosciences Laboratory, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
Nat Biotechnol 20:1011-7. 2002We describe microarrays of oligosaccharides as neoglycolipids and their robust display on nitrocellulose...
- Beta1,6-branched oligosaccharides are increased in lymph node metastases and predict poor outcome in breast carcinomaTamara Handerson
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worchester, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:2969-73. 2005This study was designed to provide a comprehensive assessment on the role of beta1,6-branched oligosaccharides in the metastasis and outcome of breast carcinoma...
- Negative-ion electrospray mass spectrometry of neutral underivatized oligosaccharidesW Chai
MRC Glycosciences Laboratory, Imperial College School of Medicine, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Anal Chem 73:651-7. 2001..time-of-flight instrument provide a sensitive means for structural analysis of neutral underivatized oligosaccharides. Molecular mass information can be readily obtained from the dominant [M - H]- ions in the ES mass spectrum ..
- Barcoded pyrosequencing reveals that consumption of galactooligosaccharides results in a highly specific bifidogenic response in humansLauren M G Davis
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e25200. 2011....
- The genome sequence of Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis reveals adaptations for milk utilization within the infant microbiomeD A Sela
Microbiology Graduate Group, Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Sciences, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18964-9. 2008..encoding catabolic genes, extracellular solute binding proteins and permeases predicted to be active on milk oligosaccharides. An examination of in vivo metabolism has detected the hallmarks of milk oligosaccharide utilization via the ..
- Congenital disorders of glycosylation: an update on defects affecting the biosynthesis of dolichol-linked oligosaccharidesMicha A Haeuptle
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Hum Mutat 30:1628-41. 2009....
- Functional and comparative genomic analyses of an operon involved in fructooligosaccharide utilization by Lactobacillus acidophilusRodolphe Barrangou
Genomic Sciences Program and Southeast Dairy Foods Research Center, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:8957-62. 2003..acidophilus. This is a description of a previously undescribed gene locus involved in transport and catabolism of FOS compounds, which can promote competition of beneficial microorganisms in the human gastrointestinal tract...
- Identification of prebiotic fructooligosaccharide metabolism in Lactobacillus plantarum WCFS1 through microarraysDelphine M A Saulnier
Food Microbial Sciences Unit, School of Food Biosciences, The University of Reading, Box 226, Reading RG6 6AP, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:1753-65. 2007..The main end products of scFOS fermentation were lactate and acetate. This is the first example in lactobacilli of the association of a sucrose PTS and a beta-fructofuranosidase that could be used for scFOS degradation...
- Oligosaccharides from human milk influence growth-related characteristics of intestinally transformed and non-transformed intestinal cellsSabine Kuntz
Institute of Nutritional Science, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Wilhelmstrasse 20, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Br J Nutr 99:462-71. 2008Human milk oligosaccharides (HMO) are considered to influence the composition of the gut microflora in breastfed infants...
- Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis ATCC 15697 α-fucosidases are active on fucosylated human milk oligosaccharidesDavid A Sela
Microbiology Graduate Group, University of California, Davis, Davis, California, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:795-803. 2012Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis ATCC 15697 utilizes several small-mass neutral human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs), several of which are fucosylated...
- Chemoenzymatic synthesis of homogeneous ultralow molecular weight heparinsYongmei Xu
Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Science 334:498-501. 2011..The chemoenzymatic approach is scalable and shows promise for a more efficient route to synthesize this important class of medicinal agent...
- Alpha 1,3 fucosyltransferases are master regulators of prostate cancer cell traffickingSteven R Barthel
Department of Dermatology, Harvard Skin Disease Research Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:19491-6. 2009..These results indicate that alpha1,3 FTs could enhance metastatic efficiency of PCa by triggering an E-selectin-dependent trafficking mechanism...
- Roles of N-linked glycans in the endoplasmic reticulumAri Helenius
Institute of Biochemistry1 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich 8093, Switzerland
Annu Rev Biochem 73:1019-49. 2004..Each residue in the core oligosaccharide and each step in the modification program have significance for the fate of newly synthesized glycoproteins...
- Physiology of consumption of human milk oligosaccharides by infant gut-associated bifidobacteriaSadaki Asakuma
National Agricultural Research Center for the Hokkaido Region, Sapporo, Hokkaido 062 8555, Japan
J Biol Chem 286:34583-92. 2011The bifidogenic effect of human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) has long been known, yet the precise mechanism underlying it remains unresolved...
- Prebiotic oligosaccharides change the concentrations of short-chain fatty acids and the microbial population of mouse bowelXiao Dong Pan
Department of Chemistry, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, China
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 10:258-63. 2009The purpose of this study was to clarify effects of selected oligosaccharides on concentrations of cecal short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), total large bowel wet weight and wall weight, and cecal microbiota levels in mice...
- Synthesis of heparin oligosaccharides and their interaction with eosinophil-derived neurotoxinShang Cheng Hung
Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Org Biomol Chem 10:760-72. 2012A convenient route for the synthesis of heparin oligosaccharides involving regioselective protection of D-glucosamine and a concise preparation of rare L-ido sugars from diacetone α-D-glucose is described...
- Sugar-binding properties of VIP36, an intracellular animal lectin operating as a cargo receptorYukiko Kamiya
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagoya City University, 3 1 Tanabe dori, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8603, Japan
J Biol Chem 280:37178-82. 2005..Although it is known that VIP36 interacts with glycoproteins carrying high mannose-type oligosaccharides, detailed analyses of the sugar-binding specificity that discriminates isomeric oligosaccharide structures ..
- Sulfated chitooligosaccharide II (SCOS II) suppress collagen degradation in TNF-induced chondrosarcoma cells via NF-κB pathwayBoMi Ryu
Marine Bioprocess Research Center, Pukyong National University, Busan, Republic of Korea
Carbohydr Res 350:55-61. 2012..We suggest that SCOS II can be further studied as a potential candidate for the treatment of arthritis...
- Dietary supplementation with fructooligosaccharides attenuates allergic peritonitis in miceAkiko Yasuda
Meiji Co, Ltd, Nutritionals and Provisions Team, Tokyo, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 422:546-50. 2012..The efficacy can at least partially be associated with the regulation of Ig class switching and inhibition of the local expression of IL-5 and eotaxin...
- Specific dietary oligosaccharides increase Th1 responses in a mouse respiratory syncytial virus infection modelMarcel A Schijf
Department of Pediatrics, the Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Virol 86:11472-82. 2012..Specific dietary prebiotic oligosaccharides, similar to oligosaccharides present in human milk, were evaluated in a C57BL/6 mouse RSV infection model...
- Comprehensive profiles of human milk oligosaccharides yield highly sensitive and specific markers for determining secretor status in lactating mothersSarah M Totten
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, California 95616, United States
J Proteome Res 11:6124-33. 2012Human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs), as an abundant and bioactive component of breast milk, work in many ways to promote the health of breast fed infants...
- Bacterial metabolism and health-related effects of galacto-oligosaccharides and other prebioticsG T Macfarlane
Dundee University Gut Group, Ninewells Hospital Medical School, Dundee, UK
J Appl Microbiol 104:305-44. 2008Most studies involving prebiotic oligosaccharides have been carried out using inulin and its fructo-oligosaccharide (FOS) derivatives, together with various forms of galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS)...
- Oligosaccharides of hyaluronic acid increased epidermal cell stemness by modulation of integrin expressionHye Ryung Choi
Department of Dermatology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, Korea
J Cosmet Dermatol 11:290-6. 2012..In industry, small-sized HA is used as a moisturizing agent but can have biologic effects when it is absorbed through the skin with barrier disruption...
- IgG subclass-independent improvement of antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity by fucose removal from Asn297-linked oligosaccharidesRinpei Niwa
Department of Antibody Research, Pharmaceutical Research Center, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co, Ltd, 3 6 6 Asahi machi, Machida shi, Tokyo 194 8533, Japan
J Immunol Methods 306:151-60. 2005Fucose depletion from oligosaccharides of human IgG1-type antibodies results in a great enhancement of antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC)...
- Synthesis of 3-O-sulfonated heparan sulfate octasaccharides that inhibit the herpes simplex virus type 1 host-cell interactionYu Peng Hu
Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, 128, Section 2, Academia Road, Taipei 115, Taiwan
Nat Chem 3:557-63. 2011..Achieving a complete understanding of these interactions requires the chemical synthesis of such oligosaccharides, but this remains challenging...
- Glutamine-linked and non-consensus asparagine-linked oligosaccharides present in human recombinant antibodies define novel protein glycosylation motifsJohn F Valliere-Douglass
Department of Analytical and Formulation Sciences, Amgen Inc, Seattle, Washington 98119, USA
J Biol Chem 285:16012-22. 2010..Taken together our results indicate that protein glycosylation is governed by more diversified requirements than previously appreciated...
- Will isomalto-oligosaccharides, a well-established functional food in Asia, break through the European and American market? The status of knowledge on these prebioticsDorothee Goffin
Department of Industrial Biological Chemistry, University of Liege Gembloux Agro Bio Tech, Passage des D eport es, 2, B 5030 Gembloux, Belgium
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 51:394-409. 2011This critical review article presents the current state of knowledge on isomalto-oligosaccharides, some well known functional oligosaccharides in Asia, to evaluate their potential as emergent prebiotics in the American and European ..
- Inhibition of monocyte, lymphocyte, and neutrophil adhesion to endothelial cells by human milk oligosaccharidesLars Bode
Institute of Nutritional Sciences, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Wilhelmstrasse 20, 35392 Giessen, Germany
Thromb Haemost 92:1402-10. 2004..The initial step in leukocyte extravasation is mediated by selectins and oligosaccharides on their glycoconjugate ligands...
- The dolichol pathway of N-linked glycosylationP Burda
Mikrobiologisches Institut, ETH Zurich, Schmelzbergstr 7, CH 092 Zürich, Switzerland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1426:239-57. 1999..We suggest that N-linked glycosylation in eukaryotes and in archaea share a common evolutionary origin...
- Mechanism for the hydrolysis of hyaluronan oligosaccharides by bovine testicular hyaluronidaseIkuko Kakizaki
Department of Glycotechnology, Center for Advanced Medical Research, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
FEBS J 277:1776-86. 2010Synthetic hyaluronan oligosaccharides with defined structures and their pyridylaminated derivatives were used to investigate the mechanism of hydrolysis of hyaluronan by bovine testicular hyaluronidase...
- Trimeric structure of langerinHadar Feinberg
Department of Structural Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94306, USA
J Biol Chem 285:13285-93. 2010..Glycan array screening with the trimeric fragment shows that high mannose oligosaccharides are the best ligands for langerin...
- Campylobacter jejuni binds intestinal H(O) antigen (Fuc alpha 1, 2Gal beta 1, 4GlcNAc), and fucosyloligosaccharides of human milk inhibit its binding and infectionGuillermo M Ruiz-Palacios
Department of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition, Vasco de Quiroga 15, Mexico D F 14000, Mexico
J Biol Chem 278:14112-20. 2003..lectins Ulex europaeus and Lotus tetragonolobus and H-2 monoclonal antibody), H-2 mimetics, and human milk oligosaccharides. Human milk oligosaccharides inhibited campylobacter colonization of mice in vivo and human intestinal mucosa ..
- Analysis of the intestinal microbiota of oligosaccharide fed mice exhibiting reduced resistance to Salmonella infectionA Petersen
National Food Institute, Division of Microbiology and Risk Assessment, Technical University of Denmark, Moerkhoej Bygade, Soeborg, Denmark
Benef Microbes 1:271-81. 2010..We recently demonstrated a reduced resistance to Salmonella infection in mice fed diets containing fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) or xylo-oligosaccharides (XOS)...
- Regulatory T-cells have a prominent role in the immune modulated vaccine response by specific oligosaccharidesBelinda Van't Land
Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences UIPS, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Vaccine 28:5711-7. 2010..of CD4(+)CD25(+)Foxp3(+) regulatory T-cells (Tregs) and the immune modulation by orally supplied prebiotic oligosaccharides consisting of scGOS/lcFOS/pAOS, were assessed using anti-CD25 (PC61) mediated depletion studies...
- Mass spectrometric methods for analysis of oligosaccharides in human milkMilady R Ninonuevo
Department of Chemistry, University of California Davis, Davis, California, USA
Nutr Rev 67:S216-26. 2009Establishing the analytical platforms for characterizing human milk oligosaccharides is important to fully assess their specific functionalities...
- Understanding the polymerization mechanism of glycoside-hydrolase family 70 glucansucrasesClaire Moulis
Laboratoire de Biotechnologies Bioprocédés, UMR CNRS 5504, UMR INRA 792, INSA, 135 Avenue de Rangueil, 31077 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
J Biol Chem 281:31254-67. 2006..Compared with dextransucrase, alternansucrase has a broader specificity. It produces a myriad of oligosaccharides with various alpha-1,3 and/or alpha-1,6 links in early reaction stages...
- Oligofructose and long-chain inulin: influence on the gut microbial ecology of rats associated with a human faecal floraB Kleessen
German Institute of Human Nutrition DIfE Potsdam Rehbrucke, Department of Gastrointestinal Microbiology, D 14558 Bergholz Rehbrücke, Germany
Br J Nutr 86:291-300. 2001..Higher molar proportions of faecal butyrate were observed with all diets that had been supplemented with OF and/or lcIN. Stimulation of butyrate production could be of interest for the prevention of ulcerative colitis and colon cancer...
- Oligosaccharide binding proteins from Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis reveal a preference for host glycansDaniel Garrido
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17315. 2011..of the infant intestinal microbiota, and it has been characterized by its foraging capacity for human milk oligosaccharides (HMO)...
- Carbohydrate-mediated targeting of antigen to dendritic cells leads to enhanced presentation of antigen to T cellsEddie W Adams
Center for Immunology and Inflammatory Diseases and Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immununology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Building 149, 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Chembiochem 9:294-303. 2008..that the observed enhancements in antigen presentation are unique to OVA that is conjugated to complex oligosaccharides, such as a high-mannose nonasaccharide, but not to monosaccharides...
- Structural characterization of N-linked oligosaccharides on monoclonal antibody cetuximab by the combination of orthogonal matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization hybrid quadrupole-quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry and sequential enzyJun Qian
Department of Bioanalytical Science, ImClone Systems Incorporated, Branchburg, NJ 08876, USA
Anal Biochem 364:8-18. 2007..The detailed structures of these oligosaccharides were successfully characterized using orthogonal matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization hybrid ..
- Identification of human hyaluronidase-4 as a novel chondroitin sulfate hydrolase that preferentially cleaves the galactosaminidic linkage in the trisulfated tetrasaccharide sequenceTomoyuki Kaneiwa
Laboratory of Proteoglycan Signaling and Therapeutics, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Life Science, Sapporo, Japan
Glycobiology 20:300-9. 2010..In addition, it may well be applicable to the treatment of acute spinal cord injuries as in the case of, or instead of, the bacterial CS lyase which has been used for recent clinical trials...
- Beta-galactofuranose-containing O-linked oligosaccharides present in the cell wall peptidogalactomannan of Aspergillus fumigatus contain immunodominant epitopesEduardo A Leitao
Instituto de Microbiologia Professor Paulo de Goes, CCS Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 21944 970, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Glycobiology 13:681-92. 2003..The resulting reduced oligosaccharides, which were the minor components of the peptidogalactomannan fraction, were fractionated to homogeneity by ..
- Tumor cell MUC1 and CD43 are glycosylated differently with sialyl-Lewis a and x epitopes and show variable interactions with E-selectin under physiological flow conditionsJ Fernandez-Rodriguez
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg University, Box 440, 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Glycoconj J 18:925-30. 2001..One could hypothesize that colon carcinoma derived MUC1 is decorated with potent E-selectin epitopes, and that this could be one of several reasons for the involvement of MUC1 in cancer development...
- A critical role for disproportionating enzyme in starch breakdown is revealed by a knock-out mutation in ArabidopsisJ H Critchley
Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JH, UK
Plant J 26:89-100. 2001..During starch degradation, a large accumulation of malto-oligosaccharides occurs in dpe1-1 but not in wild type...
- Transcriptional and functional analysis of galactooligosaccharide uptake by lacS in Lactobacillus acidophilusJoakim M Andersen
Enzyme and Protein Chemistry, Department of Systems Biology, Technical University of Denmark, DK 2800 Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:17785-90. 2011....
- Differential oligosaccharide recognition by evolutionarily-related beta-1,4 and beta-1,3 glucan-binding modulesAlisdair B Boraston
Protein Engineering Network of Centres of Excellence, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
J Mol Biol 319:1143-56. 2002..fimi Cel9B and Thermotoga maritima Lam16A in complex with their ligands, beta-1,4 and beta-1,3 linked gluco-oligosaccharides, respectively...
- Electrospray ionization mass spectrometry of oligosaccharides derived from fucoidan of Ascophyllum nodosumRegis Daniel
CNRS, UMR 8587, Laboratoire Analyse et Modelisation pour la Biologie et l Environnement, Universite d Evry Val d Essonne, F 91025 Evry, France
Carbohydr Res 342:826-34. 2007..MS analysis has been carried out on oligosaccharides obtained by partial hydrolysis of fucoidan from the brown algae Ascophyllum nodosum...
- Small hyaluronan oligosaccharides induce inflammation by engaging both toll-like-4 and CD44 receptors in human chondrocytesGiuseppe M Campo
Department of Biochemical, Physiological and Nutritional Sciences, University of Messina, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 80:480-90. 2010..HA oligosaccharides are endogenous ligands for the cluster determinant 44 (CD44) receptor as well as for toll-like receptor 4 (..
- A novel disorder caused by defective biosynthesis of N-linked oligosaccharides due to glucosidase I deficiency- De Praeter CM
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatal Intensive Care, Ghent University Hospital, B9000 Ghent, Belgium
Am J Hum Genet 66:1744-56. 2000..These base changes were not seen in 100 control DNA samples. A causal relationship between the alpha-glucosidase I deficiency and the disease is postulated...
- Structural analysis of the asparagine-linked glycans from the procyclic Trypanosoma brucei and its glycosylation mutants resistant to Concanavalin A killingK Y Hwa
Institute of Biological Chemistry, Academia Sinica, 128 Yen Chiu Yuan Road, Section 2, Nankang, Taipei, 115, Taiwan, ROC
Mol Biochem Parasitol 111:173-84. 2000....
- Different affinities of glycosaminoglycan oligosaccharides for monomeric and dimeric interleukin-8: a model for chemokine regulation at inflammatory sitesBirgit Goger
Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Protein Chemistry and Biophysics Group, University of Graz, Universitatsplatz 1, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Biochemistry 41:1640-6. 2002..The binding affinities, obtained by isothermal fluorescence titration, of size-defined heparin and HS oligosaccharides to the chemokine were found to depend on the oligomerization state of IL-8: high affinity was detected for ..
- A general approach to desalting oligosaccharides released from glycoproteinsN H Packer
Macquarie University Centre for Analytical Biotechnology, School of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Glycoconj J 15:737-47. 1998..the loss of charged sugars, precipitation of salt by a non-aqueous solvent can result in co-precipitation of oligosaccharides, and gel chromatography uses highly crosslinked packings in which separation of small oligosaccharides is ..
- Neonatal protection by an innate immune system of human milk consisting of oligosaccharides and glycansD S Newburg
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02129, USA
J Anim Sci 87:26-34. 2009..In the past, this had been attributed primarily to human milk secretory antibodies. However, the oligosaccharides are major components of human milk, and milk is also rich in other glycans, including glycoproteins, mucins, ..
- Egg box conformation of oligogalacturonides: the time-dependent stabilization of the elicitor-active conformation increases its biological activityJuan Carlos Cabrera
Unité de Recherche en Biologie Cellulaire Végétale, Facultés Universitaires Notre Dame de Paix, Namur B 5000, Belgium
Glycobiology 18:473-82. 2008..One binds egg box junctions and the other binds egg box ends. The relevance of these results is discussed in terms of pectic signal perception and plant-pathogen interaction...
- Role of N-linked oligosaccharides in the biosynthetic processing of the cystic fibrosis membrane conductance regulatorXiu Bao Chang
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
J Cell Sci 121:2814-23. 2008The epithelial chloride channel CFTR is a glycoprotein that is modified by two N-linked oligosaccharides. The most common mutant CFTR protein in patients with cystic fibrosis, DeltaF508, is misfolded and retained by ER quality control...
- Colon microflora in infants fed formula with galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides: more like breast-fed infantsJan Knol
Numico Research B V, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:36-42. 2005..We aimed to investigate whether an infant formula supplemented with galacto-oligosaccharides and fructo-oligosaccharides (GOS/FOS) is able to establish a bifido-dominant microflora, not only in numbers ..
- Human milk oligosaccharides: prebiotics and beyondLars Bode
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, California, USA
Nutr Rev 67:S183-91. 2009Human milk oligosaccharides (HMO) are complex glycans that are present at very high concentrations in human milk but not in infant formula...
- Hyaluronan oligosaccharides induce matrix metalloproteinase 13 via transcriptional activation of NFkappaB and p38 MAP kinase in articular chondrocytesShigeru Ohno
Department of Biochemistry, Rush Medical College, Rush University Medical Center, 1735 West Harrison Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Biol Chem 281:17952-60. 2006..The goal of this study was to use hyaluronan oligosaccharides as a molecular tool to explore the effects of changes in cell-hyaluronan interactions and determine the ..
- Heparin-derived heparan sulfate mimics to modulate heparan sulfate-protein interaction in inflammation and cancerBenito Casu
G Ronzoni Institute for Chemical and Biochemical Research, Milan, Italy
Matrix Biol 29:442-52. 2010..be modulated by exogenous heparin species (unmodified heparin, low molecular weight heparins, shorter heparin oligosaccharides and various non-anticoagulant derivatives of different sizes)...
- Introducing inulin-type fructansMarcel B Roberfroid
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Br J Nutr 93:S13-25. 2005....
- Preactivation-based, one-pot combinatorial synthesis of heparin-like hexasaccharides for the analysis of heparin-protein interactionsZhen Wang
Department of Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Chemistry 16:8365-75. 2010..To overcome this hurdle, we investigated the possibility of assembling a library of HP/HS oligosaccharides using a preactivation-based, one-pot glycosylation method...
- PI-88: a novel inhibitor of angiogenesisRagini Kudchadkar
University of Colorado Cancer Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 17:1769-76. 2008..However, the development of antibody-induced thrombocytopenia has limited its use in some patients...
- Versican induces a pro-metastatic ovarian cancer cell behavior which can be inhibited by small hyaluronan oligosaccharidesMiranda P Ween
Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Research Centre for Reproductive Health, Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Clin Exp Metastasis 28:113-25. 2011..pericellular matrix formation and metastatic cancer cell behavior could be blocked by small HA oligosaccharides. Only combined treatment with recombinant versican and HA resulted in pericellular matrix formation by OVCAR-..
- Consumption of breads containing in situ-produced arabinoxylan oligosaccharides alters gastrointestinal effects in healthy volunteersBram Damen
Laboratory of Food Chemistry and Biochemistry, and Leuven Food Science and Nutrition Research Centre, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Nutr 142:470-7. 2012Arabinoxylan oligosaccharides (AXOS) are studied as food compounds with prebiotic potential...
- Sulfation of the N-linked oligosaccharides of influenza virus hemagglutinin: temporal relationships and localization of sulfotransferasesM J Spiro
Elliott P Joslin Research Laboratory, Joslin Diabetes Center and the Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Glycobiology 10:1235-42. 2000The occurrence of sulfate substituents on several positions of glycoprotein N-linked oligosaccharides prompted us to determine the subcellular localization and temporal relationships of the addition of these anionic groups employing as a ..
- Transcriptional and functional characterization of genetic elements involved in galacto-oligosaccharide utilization by Bifidobacterium breve UCC2003Mary O'Connell Motherway
Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, National University of Ireland, Western Road, Cork, Ireland Departments of Microbiology, National University of Ireland, Western Road, Cork, Ireland
Microb Biotechnol 6:67-79. 2013Several prebiotics, such as inulin, fructo-oligosaccharides and galacto-oligosaccharides, are widely used commercially in foods and there is convincing evidence, in particular for galacto-oligosaccharides, that prebiotics can modulate the ..
- Lactic acid bacteria fermentation of human milk oligosaccharide components, human milk oligosaccharides and galactooligosaccharidesClarissa Schwab
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
FEMS Microbiol Lett 315:141-8. 2011Human milk contains about 7% lactose and 1% human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) consisting of lactose with linked fucose, N-acetylglucosamine and sialic acid. In infant formula, galactooligosaccharides (GOSs) are added to replace HMOs...
- Enhancement of palmarumycin C12 and C13 production in liquid culture of the endophytic fungus Berkleasmium sp. Dzf12 by oligosaccharides from its host plant Dioscorea zingiberensisYan Li
College of Biology and Science, Sichuan Agricultural University, Yaan 625014, China
Molecules 17:3761-73. 2012Three crude oligosaccharides were respectively prepared by acid hydrolysis of three polysaccharides, which were water-extracted polysaccharide (WEP), sodium hydroxide-extracted polysaccharide (SEP) and acid-extracted polysaccharide (AEP) ..
- Clinical trial: the microbiological and immunological effects of synbiotic consumption - a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study in active Crohn's diseaseH Steed
University of Dundee, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 32:872-83. 2010..Consequently, modification of mucosal bacterial communities, and the immune effects they elicit, might be used to modify the disease state...
- Investigation on Oligosaccharides as Antimicrobial and PrebioticsPeng George Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) have been thought to play a role in the development of specific intestinal flora in breast-fed infants for many years...
- STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF HEPARIN COFACTOR IIDouglas M Tollefsen; Fiscal Year: 2010..4) Compare the structures of HCII-binding DS oligosaccharides derived from porcine skin and mucosa with those of vascular smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts...
- Environmental Chitin Exposure in the Pathogenesis of AsthmaRene M Roy; Fiscal Year: 2012..To achieve this goal, we will create defined N-acetylglucosamine oligosaccharides to probe and determine the minimal chain length that is recognized by cells of the innate immune system such ..
- The Toll-like receptor pathway in Meniscal Injury and OsteoarthritisCARLA ROSE SCANZELLO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim 2: To demonstrate a role for HA oligosaccharides and TLR-activation in IL-15 production by cells and tissues relevant to joint pathology...
- Activation of Host-Probiotic Communication by Prebiotic Milk OligosaccharidesHelen E Raybould; Fiscal Year: 2012..Milk oligosaccharides are naturally evolved prebiotic substrates that facilitate bifidobacterial enrichment and interaction with ..
- Milk oligosaccharides, bifidobacteria and intestinal epithelium.Maciej Chichlowski; Fiscal Year: 2011..are often enriched in the infant gastrointestinal tract. It has been proposed that human milk oligosaccharides (HMO), a major component of breast milk, are responsible for this enrichment...
- Synthetic Oligosaccharides for Probing Infection and Innate ImmunityGeert Jan Boons; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is to be expected that CS oligosaccharides that bind with high affinity to var2CSA can inhibit the adhesion of P...
- Mechanisms of Anti-fungal Vaccine ImmunityBRUCE STEVEN KLEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Oligosaccharides identified will be investigated as Tc17 adjuvants. 3...
- Synthetic saccharides to study immunological properties of Streptococcus pneumoniAlexei V Demchenko; Fiscal Year: 2010..The first total synthesis of oligosaccharides of the newly arisen serotype and conjugates thereof for collaborative immunological studies is proposed ..
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey D Esko; Fiscal Year: 2010..family and examine the substrate specificity of each isozyme by trapping and characterizing acceptor oligosaccharides. In additionwe will explore how the individual isozymes affects heparan sulfate biosynthesis in transfected ..
- Structure and Function of the B. anthracis ExosporiumCharles L Turnbough; Fiscal Year: 2010..4) Identify the oligosaccharide attachment sites of BclA. At least two different oligosaccharides, including a pentasaccharide containing the diagnostic sugar anthrose, are O-linked to multiple sites within ..
- SEQUENCING THE POLYSACCHARIDE COMPONENT OF PROTEOGLYCANSRobert J Linhardt; Fiscal Year: 2012..Develop MS-based quantitative profiling of GAG-derived oligosaccharides using isotopically-labeled standards;4. Sequence decorin using methods developed for bikunin;and 5...
- GLYCOPROTEIN HORMONE OLIGOSACCHARIDESJacques U Baenziger; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Dengue diagnostics using a novel peroxidase chain reaction (PxCR)PETER PETER ZASSENHAUS; Fiscal Year: 2013..In principal, oligosaccharides could also be detected using lectin probes...
- The Aging Pituitary-Gonadal AxisGeorge R Bousfield; Fiscal Year: 2013..The classic hFSH possessing both alpha subunit and beta subunit oligosaccharides is designated tetra-glycosylated hFSH and a novel hFSH glycoform possessing only alpha subunit ..
- Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Lipoarabinomannan In VivoLibin Shi; Fiscal Year: 2013..sensitive tests such as Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS), enzyme digestion, and mapping of the oligosaccharides with Electrospray Ionization...
- Oligosaccharies of Normal and Malignant CellsAjit P Varki; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The long-term theme of this grant has been to compare and contrast oligosaccharides (glycans) of normal and malignant cells, and to define the pathological and therapeutic significance of the ..
- Epithelial Glycoconjugates as Barriers against Enteric InfectionsNicholas J Mantis; Fiscal Year: 2013..responsive to RFA HD 08-004 (Item 5) "Surveying glycoconjugates on the surface of enterocytes to discover oligosaccharides that may serves as ligands for pathogenic and non-pathogenic bacteria...
- Novel Approaches for the synthesis of glycoprotein standardsGeert Jan Boons; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this respect, collections of oligosaccharides are need for the development of algorithms for the assignment of oligosaccharide MS spectra, for fabricating ..
- Mass Spectrometric Characterization of LipopolysaccharidesJennifer S Brodbelt; Fiscal Year: 2013..intact LPS will build by combining the fragmentation patterns obtained from bottom-up approaches (lipids and oligosaccharides) with information obtained from increasingly larger portions of the lipopolysaccharides via a middle-down ..
- A fully synthetic carbohydrate-based cancer vaccineGeert Jan Boons; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The over-expression of oligosaccharides such as Globo-H, LewisY, Tn and STn is a common feature of oncogenic transformed cells...
- In vivo magnetic resonance-based analysis of inherited neurologic disease after gHEATHER G EDWARDS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using MRS, peak resonances from metabolites such as guanidinoacetate or Gal-b(1- 6)Gal-b(1-4)GlcNAc, oligosaccharides that have been reported in GM1 gangliosidosis brain, will be measured in each cat at the level of thalamus, ..
- Oral Transmission of HIV through BreastfeedingLouise Kuhn; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that human milk oligosaccharides (HMO), soluble toll-like receptors (sTLR) and other innate immune factors may play a role in preventing oral ..
- Oligosaccharides to Prevent Infectious DiarrheaJOHN MICHAEL MCCOY; Fiscal Year: 2012..and three classes of potential anti-infective products are envisaged: 1) purified 1(1,2) fucosylated oligosaccharides, 2) yeast strains expressing 1(1,2) fucosylated glycans on their cell surface, and 3) purified 1(1,2) ..
- ASSEMBLY AND TRANSFER OF N-LINKED OLIGOSACCHARIDESJAMES REID GILMORE; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Anti-adhesive prevention of Chlamydia trachomatis genital tract infectionLee Ann Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this study, we propose to test the feasibility of using high mannose oligosaccharides as a novel topical microbicide for preventing C trachomatis infection...
- Cartilage Innate Immunity in OsteoarthritisRU BRYAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..and chondrocytes retain IL-1 responsiveness, but lose responsiveness to low molecular weight hyaluronan oligosaccharides (LMW-HA) and HMGB1, two endogenous TLR2 and TLR4 ligands present in OA joints...
- The Role of Human Milk in Infant Nutrition and HealthArdythe L Morrow; Fiscal Year: 2013..current grant cycle we have shown that the human milk glycans, particularly, the a1,2 fucosyl ("secretor") oligosaccharides and their high molecular weight glycoconjugates, are a major new class of antimicrobial agents...
- Cell Wall Biogenesis in Candida albicansStephen J Free; Fiscal Year: 2013..These cross-linking enzymes recognize oligosaccharides present on cell wall proteins and incorporate these oligosaccharides into the cell wall glucan/chitin matrix...
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis: Prevention and PredictionMARK ALAN UNDERWOOD; Fiscal Year: 2012..preliminary data: a clinical trial of two probiotic products in premature infants, evidence that human milk oligosaccharides selectively stimulate growth of specific bifidobacteria, and a novel potential biomarker of infant ..
- Mechanisms by which Human Milk Oligosaccharides Protect Against RotavirusSHARON MARIE DONOVAN; Fiscal Year: 2012Human milk contains a remarkable content and structural diversity of oligosaccharides (HMO) that act as a component of the innate immunity by preventing attachment of pathogens to the intestinal lining and by promoting colonization by a ..
- Biogenesis of Peptidoglycan in Escherichia coliNatividad Ruiz; Fiscal Year: 2013..This family is conserved in diverse organisms and it includes flippases of lipid-linked oligosaccharides that are similar to lipid II. FtsW and RodA have also been proposed to be lipid II flippases in E...
- Glycoconjugate therapeutic peptides for improved treatment of human diseasesADAM CHARLES FISHER; Fiscal Year: 2013..well-established that the stability and half-life of peptide drugs can be greatly improved by conjugation to oligosaccharides that are nonimmunogenic in the human body. Several therapeutic peptides (e.g...
- Functions of Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans in Axon Guidance and Degeneration.FABIENNE POULAIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..sulfotransferases that modify HS chains with sulfations at specific positions, and examine how synthetic HS oligosaccharides with defined sulfation motifs and sizes regulate retinal axon navigation, both in vitro in culture systems ..
- A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Gelsolin Amyloid DiseaseJeffery W Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2010..perform biophysical studies that will reveal the mechanism of gelsolin amyloidogenesis and elucidate how the oligosaccharides composing the ECM accelerate and possibly stabilize gelsolin amyloid...
- Structures, Functions, &Genetic Diversity of Oligosaccharides in MilkCarlito B Lebrilla; Fiscal Year: 2013Complex oligosaccharides have been proposed to exert important biological properties for human health...
- Synthesis and Screening of Bioactive GlycolipidsJacquelyn Gervay-Hague; Fiscal Year: 2012..efficient purification and characterization processes that afford direct access to homogenous glycolipids and oligosaccharides for biological study...
- Mechanism of Activation of Probiotic Bifidobacteria by Prebiotic Milk GlycansCarolyn Slupsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..Milk oligosaccharides are naturally-evolved prebiotic substrates that facilitate bifidobacterial enrichment and interaction within ..
- Intestinal and Milk Glycan Expression in Restriction of Neonatal InfectionMARY KOLB ESTES; Fiscal Year: 2013..the hypothesis that the complex interactions between glycan expression, neonatal development and human milk oligosaccharides affect neonatal enteric infections...
- Aberrant N-Glycan Standards for Mass Spectrometry and Microarray AnalysisANTHONY PRUDDEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..In many cases, well-defined oligosaccharides can only be obtained by chemical- or enzymatic approaches...
- FIV Vectors for the Treatment of Hemophilia AWilliam C Raschke; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, the inclusion of several asparagine-linked oligosaccharides within a short B-domain spacer increased ER to Golgi transport resulting in secretion of functional FVIII at ..
- Protective Human Anti-Candida AntibodiesMason X Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..The cell surface of C. albicans is enriched with manose oligosaccharides and polysaccharides known as mannan that plays an important role in Candida-human interactions...
- Post-translational Surveillance of Genome ExpressionRichard Sifers; Fiscal Year: 2009..Asparagine-linked oligosaccharides function as an appendage through which a small ensemble of glycan processing and recognition elements ..
- A bioluminescent screen for inhibitors of N-linked glycosylationJoseph N Contessa; Fiscal Year: 2012..Efficient NLG requires the stepwise biosynthesis of lipid-linked oligosaccharides (LLO), a process initiated in the cytoplasm and completed in the endoplasmic reticulum prior to LLO transfer ..
- An Artificial Golgi: Controlled GAG Synthesis and ScreeningROBERT J contact LINHARDT; Fiscal Year: 2010..health by developing an artificial Golgi to synthesize a library of heparan sulfates and heparan sulfate oligosaccharides. This artificial Golgi uses a digital microfluidic platform for synthesis and screen activity on a cell ..
- Glycomics of Heparan Sulfate in Bacterial PathogenesisPyong Woo Park; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific Aim 2 will define the minimum structural features of HS oligosaccharides that inhibit P. aeruginosa lung infection, and determine if HS modification is a target for anti-P...
- Functional Glycomics of Human SalivaSusan J Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2013..These oligosaccharides have large numbers of sugars with complex branching patterns that are decorated with blood group determinants ..
- Fusing Glycobiology and Nutritional Sciences to Prevent Necrotizing EnterocolitisLars Bode; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that oligosaccharides present in human milk but not in infant formula contribute to the protective effects in breast-fed infants by ..
- Structural Characterization of Polypeptides, Protein Complexes, OligosaccharidesHALINA EWA WITKOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., peptides, proteins, protein complexes, oligosaccharides and lipooligosaccharides)...
- Regulation of immune reactions by synthetic thioglucansVaclav Vetvicka; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim #1 To design and synthesize new class of oligosaccharides. Main goal is to optimize chemical structures of oligo-2-(1,3)-glucans in order to improve stimulation of the ..
- FCR DEFICIENT MICE SUSCEPTIBILITY TO PATHOGENSJEFFREY VICTOR RAVETCH; Fiscal Year: 2012..One sub-family, DC-SIGN and its murine homologue, SIGN R1, bind to high mannose oligosaccharides, as well as fucose containing glycans, such as the Lewisx trisaccharides...
- IgG glycosylation abnormalities in pediatric immunodeficiencyPeter A Nigrovic; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unlike most glycans, these oligosaccharides are internal to the structure of the Fc region, defining its spatial conformation and thereby its interaction ..
- Glycomics Equipment: NanoLC CHIP-QTOF Mass SpectrometerCarlito B Lebrilla; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed instrument will be used to analyze oligosaccharides and determine their structures in highly complicated biological mixtures...
- Galectin Modulation of Glutamate Receptors and Neuronal FunctionGeoffrey T Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2013..membranes typically contain the glycan N acetyllactosamine, a common disaccharide constituent of complex oligosaccharides, and therefore could serve as targets for galectin binding and cross-linking of signaling molecules, leading ..
- Methods to Identify High-Affinity Antibodies that Target Tumor-Associated GlycansJonathan Lai; Fiscal Year: 2013..Information encoded by glycans often involves subtle variations of branched oligosaccharides that cannot be detected with conventional antibodies...
- Biochemical Characterization of Specificity for Family 3 Glycoside HydrolasesDylan Dodd; Fiscal Year: 2013..3 enzymes from the bacterium Prevotella bryantii Bi4 using a library of natural plant cell wall derived oligosaccharides. In aim 2 we will employ a directed evolution approach for identifying amino acid residues that contribute to ..
- In Situ Regeneration of Bioactive Surfaces: Rechargeable Anti-thrombogenic FilmsElliot Chaikof; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. TM, heparin) or purinergic (e.g. CD39) pathways. Synthetic heparin oligosaccharides will be used in the course of these studies;enhancing our ability to design glycocalyx-like films...
- Chemical and enzymatic synthesis of multi-domain heparin mimeticsTIMOTHY OLEARY; Fiscal Year: 2013..laboratory at UNC Chapel Hill has developed a chemoenzymatic method capable of synthesizing heparin oligosaccharides from 5-10 residues, the size for binding a single protein...
- Oligosaccharides as antimicrobials and prebioticsXi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Oligosaccharides as antimicrobials and prebiotics Carbohydrates on human intestinal cell surface are important recognition sites for pathogenic bacterial binding that initiates infection...
- NKT Cells Immunotherapy: Targeting Dendritic Cells with Glycolipid LiposomesPeng Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..for DC-SIGN, but recently it was discovered that DC-SIGN bind the second class of glycans: fucosyl containing oligosaccharides. Thus, this proposed research program will be the first attempt to explore the anti-tumor effect of NKT ..
- Chemoenzymatic Synthesis of Heparin and Heparan Sulfate OligosaccharidesXuefei Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, access to structurally well defined HP/HS oligosaccharides has been very difficult, which severely hinders the establishment of detailed structure activity ..
- Synthesis of Complex Carbohydrates.Hien M Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2013..These aminosugars make up one of the most important classes of naturally occurring oligosaccharides and glyco-conjugates, which play a crucial role as cell-surface receptor ligands for lectins, antibodies, and ..
- REDOX GLYCOSIDATIONANTHONY BARRETT; Fiscal Year: 1992The applicant will seek to develop a new strategy for the synthesis of oligosaccharides. Adjacent carbohydrate units will be linked together via ester or thion ester bonds...
- IMMUNOCHEMISTRY OF GONOCOCCAL LIPOPOLYSACCHARIDEJOHN GRIFFISS; Fiscal Year: 2003..Many alpha chain oligosaccharides are structurally identical to those of lacto- (Lac-R), globo- (Pk (Gb3) and P1), paraglobo- (lacto-N- ..
- STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS OF GLYCOCONJUGATE METABOLISMPatrick Van Roey; Fiscal Year: 2000..the analysis of the mechanism of action and substrate specificities of enzymes that cleave asparagine-linked oligosaccharides from glycoproteins...
- ISOLATION OF OLIGOSACCHARIDES--SUGAR-BINDING PROTEINSDavid Smith; Fiscal Year: 1990..Monospecific rabbit antisera prepared against purified human milk oligosaccharides have been used to detect and identify new gangliosides in fetal tissue and in a human colorectal carcinoma ..
- LIPOOLIGOSACCHARIDES OF HAEMOPHILUS INFLUENZAEMichael Apicella; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our preliminary studies outlined in the progress report have shown that these oligosaccharides from Hib and NTHi contain structures which mimic at least 3 different human surface glycolipid antigens (3)...