Genomes and Genes
Summary: A natural high-viscosity mucopolysaccharide with alternating beta (1-3) glucuronide and beta (1-4) glucosaminidic bonds. It is found in the umbilical cord, in vitreous humor, in synovial fluid, in pathologic joints, in group A and C hemolytic streptococci, and in Wharton's jelly. A high urinary level is found in PROGERIA.
Publications413 found, 100 shown here
- Oligosaccharides of Hyaluronan activate dendritic cells via toll-like receptor 4Christian Termeer
Department of Dermatology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg D 79104, Germany
J Exp Med 195:99-111. 2002Low molecular weight fragmentation products of the polysaccharide of Hyaluronic acid (sHA) produced during inflammation have been shown to be potent activators of immunocompetent cells such as dendritic cells (DCs) and macrophages...
- CD44 and hyaluronic acid cooperate with SDF-1 in the trafficking of human CD34+ stem/progenitor cells to bone marrowAbraham Avigdor
Immunology Department, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Blood 103:2981-9. 2004..We report that the adhesion receptor CD44 and its major ligand, hyaluronic acid (HA), are essential for homing into the bone marrow (BM) and spleen of nonobese diabetic/severe combined ..
- Hyaluronan: from extracellular glue to pericellular cueBryan P Toole
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 4:528-39. 2004
- Hyaluronan in human malignanciesR K Sironen
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Pathology and Forensic Medicine, University of Eastern Finland, P O Box 1627, FI 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Exp Cell Res 317:383-91. 2011..Furthermore, intracellular signaling and angiogenesis are affected by the degradation products of hyaluronan. Hyaluronan has also therapeutic implications since it is involved in multidrug resistance...
- Hyaluronan impairs vascular function and drug delivery in a mouse model of pancreatic cancerMichael A Jacobetz
Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute, Li Ka Shing Centre, Cambridge CB2 0RE, UK
Gut 62:112-20. 2013..This study examines the role of an abundant extracellular matrix component, the megadalton glycosaminoglycan hyaluronan (HA), as a novel therapeutic target in PDA...
- Hyaluronan in peritumoral stroma and malignant cells associates with breast cancer spreading and predicts survivalP Auvinen
Department of Oncology, Kuopio University Hospital, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Am J Pathol 156:529-36. 2000..These results suggest that HA is directly involved in the spreading of breast cancer and may offer a potential target for new therapies...
- TSG-6 modulates the interaction between hyaluronan and cell surface CD44Jayne Lesley
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, San Diego, California 92186, USA
J Biol Chem 279:25745-54. 2004..The ability of TSG-6 to modulate the interaction of hyaluronan with CD44 has important implications for CD44-mediated cell activity at sites of inflammation, where TSG-6 is expressed...
- Involvement of CD44, a molecule with a thousand faces, in cancer disseminationDavid Naor
The Lautenberg Center for General and Tumor Immunology, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Semin Cancer Biol 18:260-7. 2008..cell line as a model for comprehensive in vitro and in vivo analyses of the interaction between CD44 and hyaluronic acid (HA), and its relevance to tumor dissemination...
- Hyaluronan-modified magnetic nanoclusters for detection of CD44-overexpressing breast cancer by MR imagingEun Kyung Lim
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Yonsei University, Seoul 120 749, South Korea
Biomaterials 32:7941-50. 2011..This suggests that HA-MNCs can be a potent cancer specific molecular imaging agent via targeted detection of CD44 with MR imaging...
- Hyaluronan as an immune regulator in human diseasesDianhua Jiang
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Physiol Rev 91:221-64. 2011..This review focuses on the role of hyaluronan as an immune regulator in human diseases...
- Hyaluronan-CD44 interaction promotes c-Src-mediated twist signaling, microRNA-10b expression, and RhoA/RhoC up-regulation, leading to Rho-kinase-associated cytoskeleton activation and breast tumor cell invasionLilly Y W Bourguignon
Department of Medicine, Endocrine Unit 111N, University of California at San Francisco and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Biol Chem 285:36721-35. 2010..All of these events are critical prerequisite steps for the acquisition of metastatic properties by human breast cancer cells...
- The structure of glycosaminoglycans and their interactions with proteinsNeha S Gandhi
Western Australian Biomedical Research Institute, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
Chem Biol Drug Des 72:455-82. 2008..New approaches to the development of GAG mimetics as possible new glycotherapeutics are also briefly covered...
- Role of hyaluronic acid glycosaminoglycans in shear-induced endothelium-derived nitric oxide releaseSeiichi Mochizuki
Department of Medical Engineering, Kawasaki Medical School, 577 Matsushima, Kurashiki, Okayama 701 0192, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 285:H722-6. 2003..solution at a wide range of perfusion rates with and without pretreatment with hyaluronidase to degrade hyaluronic acid glycosaminoglycans within the glycocalyx layer...
- TSG-6: a multifunctional protein associated with inflammationCaroline M Milner
MRC Immunochemistry Unit, Department of Biochemistry, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
J Cell Sci 116:1863-73. 2003..In addition, TSG-6 forms both covalent and non-covalent complexes with inter-alpha-inhibitor (a serine protease inhibitor present at high levels in serum) and potentiates its anti-plasmin activity...
- Self-assembled nanoparticles based on hyaluronic acid-ceramide (HA-CE) and Pluronic® for tumor-targeted delivery of docetaxelHyun Jong Cho
College of Pharmacy and Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Biomaterials 32:7181-90. 2011b>Hyaluronic acid-ceramide (HA-CE)-based self-assembled nanoparticles were developed for intravenous docetaxel (DCT) delivery...
- Altered hyaluronan biosynthesis in cancer progressionNaoki Itano
Department of Molecular Oncology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Institute on Aging and Adaptation, Shinshu University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagano 390 8621, Japan
Semin Cancer Biol 18:268-74. 2008....
- Hyperproduction of hyaluronan in neu-induced mammary tumor accelerates angiogenesis through stromal cell recruitment: possible involvement of versican/PG-MHiroshi Koyama
Department of Molecular Oncology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Institute on Aging and Adaptation, Shinshu University Graduate School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Nagano, Japan
Am J Pathol 170:1086-99. 2007..Taken together, these results suggest that hyaluronan overproduction accelerates tumor angiogenesis through stromal reaction, notably in the presence of versican...
- PTX3 plays a key role in the organization of the cumulus oophorus extracellular matrix and in in vivo fertilizationAntonietta Salustri
Department of Public Health and Cell Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome 00133, Italy
Development 131:1577-86. 2004..Thus, PTX3 is a structural constituent of the cumulus oophorus extracellular matrix essential for female fertility...
- Platelet-rich plasma intra-articular injection versus hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation as treatments for cartilage pathology: from early degeneration to osteoarthritisElizaveta Kon
Biomechanics Laboratory III Clinic, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Arthroscopy 27:1490-501. 2011The aim of our study is to compare the efficacy of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and viscosupplementation (hyaluronic acid [HA]) intra-articular injections for the treatment of knee cartilage degenerative lesions and osteoarthritis (OA).
- Therapeutic trajectory following intra-articular hyaluronic acid injection in knee osteoarthritis--meta-analysisR R Bannuru
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 19:611-9. 2011To evaluate the therapeutic trajectory of intra-articular hyaluronic acid (IAHA) vs placebo for knee osteoarthritis (OA).
- Intact extracellular matrix and the maintenance of immune tolerance: high molecular weight hyaluronan promotes persistence of induced CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cellsPaul L Bollyky
Benaroya Research Institute, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Leukoc Biol 86:567-72. 2009....
- Keratinocyte growth factor stimulates migration and hyaluronan synthesis in the epidermis by activation of keratinocyte hyaluronan synthases 2 and 3Susanna Karvinen
Department of Anatomy, University of Kuopio, PO Box 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Biol Chem 278:49495-504. 2003....
- Heparanase, hyaluronan, and CD44 in cancers: a breast carcinoma perspectiveMartin Götte
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Munster University Hospital, Munster, Germany
Cancer Res 66:10233-7. 2006..These findings suggest that they may be used as prognostic factors and targets for breast cancer treatment...
- The hyaluronan receptor, CD44Clare M Isacke
The Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Research, Chester Beatty Laboratories, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 34:718-21. 2002..This has important implication for understanding how mis-regulation of CD44 can contribute to disease pathologies...
- The hyaluronan receptors CD44 and Rhamm (CD168) form complexes with ERK1,2 that sustain high basal motility in breast cancer cellsSara R Hamilton
London Regional Cancer Program, London Health Sciences Centre, and the University of Western Ontario, London, and Department of Cardiovascular Research, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:16667-80. 2007..Therefore, an effect of CD44 on tumor cell motility may depend in part on its ability to partner with additional proteins, such as cell surface Rhamm...
- Hyaluronic acid and thrombin upregulate MT1-MMP through PI3K and Rac-1 signaling and prime the homing-related responses of cord blood hematopoietic stem/progenitor cellsNeeta Shirvaikar
Canadian Blood Services R and D, Edmonton, Canada
Stem Cells Dev 20:19-30. 2011..We found that components of supernatants of leukapheresis products such as hyaluronic acid and thrombin (i) increase the secretion of proMMP-9 and transcription and protein synthesis of MT1-MMP in CB ..
- NLRP3/cryopyrin is necessary for interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) release in response to hyaluronan, an endogenous trigger of inflammation in response to injuryKenshi Yamasaki
Division of Dermatology, University of California, and Veterans Affairs San Diego Health Care System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Biol Chem 284:12762-71. 2009..These findings support the hypothesis that hyaluronan works through IL-1beta and the cryopyrin system to signal sterile inflammation...
- LYVE-1, a new homologue of the CD44 glycoprotein, is a lymph-specific receptor for hyaluronanS Banerji
University of Oxford, Molecular Immunology Group, Nuffield Department of Medicine, John Radcliff Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
J Cell Biol 144:789-801. 1999..Hence, LYVE-1 is the first lymph-specific HA receptor to be characterized and is a uniquely powerful marker for lymph vessels themselves...
- The NF2 tumor suppressor gene product, merlin, mediates contact inhibition of growth through interactions with CD44H Morrison
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Institute of Toxicology and Genetics, and University of Karlsruhe, Institute of Genetics, 76021 Karlsruhe, Germany
Genes Dev 15:968-80. 2001..At low cell density, merlin is phosphorylated, growth permissive, and exists in a complex with ezrin, moesin, and CD44. These data indicate that merlin and CD44 form a molecular switch that specifies cell growth arrest or proliferation...
- Hyaluronan fragments: an information-rich systemRobert Stern
Department of Pathology and UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, School of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, S 564, San Francisco, CA 94143 0511, USA
Eur J Cell Biol 85:699-715. 2006..The vast range of activities of hyaluronan polymers is reviewed here, in order to determine if patterns can be detected that would provide insight into their production and regulation...
- Hyaluronan: a constitutive regulator of chemoresistance and malignancy in cancer cellsBryan P Toole
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 18:244-50. 2008..Antagonists of hyaluronan-CD44 interaction, especially small hyaluronan oligomers, may be useful in therapeutic strategies aimed at preventing tumor recurrence from these therapy-resistant sub-populations within malignant cancers...
- Regulation of lung injury and repair by Toll-like receptors and hyaluronanDianhua Jiang
Department of Medicine, Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Nat Med 11:1173-9. 2005..Hyaluronan-TLR2 and hyaluronan-TLR4 interactions provide signals that initiate inflammatory responses, maintain epithelial cell integrity and promote recovery from acute lung injury...
- Enhanced MSC chondrogenesis following delivery of TGF-β3 from alginate microspheres within hyaluronic acid hydrogels in vitro and in vivoLiming Bian
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, 240 Skirkanich Hall, 210 South 33rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
Biomaterials 32:6425-34. 2011..Here, we investigated the co-encapsulation of TGF-β3 containing alginate microspheres with human MSCs in hyaluronic acid (HA) hydrogels towards the development of implantable constructs for cartilage repair...
- The clinical application of autologous bioengineered skin based on a hyaluronic acid scaffoldNicolo Scuderi
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Biomaterials 29:1620-9. 2008..The organotypical cultures were designed including an engineered scaffold of a non-woven mesh of hyaluronic acid (HYAFF11)...
- Hyaluronan-cell interactions in cancer and vascular diseaseBryan P Toole
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Biol Chem 277:4593-6. 2002
- Regulation of colonic epithelial repair in mice by Toll-like receptors and hyaluronic acidLing Zheng
Division of Gastroenterology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Gastroenterology 137:2041-51. 2009..TLR4 ligands include bacterial lipopolysaccharide and hyaluronic acid, a component of the extracellular matrix...
- Hyaluronic acid based self-assembling nanosystems for CD44 target mediated siRNA delivery to solid tumorsShanthi Ganesh
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Biomaterials 34:3489-502. 2013..In the current study, we have engineered and screened a series of CD44 targeting hyaluronic acid (HA) based self-assembling nanosystems for targeted siRNA delivery...
- Hyaluronan: polysaccharide chaos to protein organisationA J Day
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, UK
Curr Opin Struct Biol 11:617-22. 2001..Various studies on hyaluronan-binding proteins suggest there is considerable diversity in their mode of interaction with hyaluronan, which might result in many different bound conformations of the polysaccharide...
- Role of hyaluronan and hyaluronan-binding proteins in human asthmaJiurong Liang
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 128:403-411.e3. 2011..Hyaluronan fragments stimulate macrophages to produce inflammatory cytokines. We hypothesized that hyaluronan and its receptors would play a role in human asthma...
- Differential involvement of the hyaluronan (HA) receptors CD44 and receptor for HA-mediated motility in endothelial cell function and angiogenesisR C Savani
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 276:36770-8. 2001..These data suggest that RHAMM and CD44, through interactions with their ligands, are both important to processes required for the formation of new blood vessels...
- The six hyaluronidase-like genes in the human and mouse genomesA B Csoka
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, LR 101, 4 Koret Way, San Francisco, CA 94143 0506, USA
Matrix Biol 20:499-508. 2001..The two beta-exoglycosidases, beta-glucuronidase and beta-N-acetyl glucosaminidase, remove sugars from reducing termini of hyaluronan oligomers, and supplement the hyaluronidases in the catabolism of hyaluronan...
- Hyaluronic acid immobilized magnetic nanoparticles for active targeting and imaging of macrophagesMedha Kamat
Department of Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, 48824, United States
Bioconjug Chem 21:2128-35. 2010..In this manuscript, we have designed and synthesized iron oxide based magnetic nanoparticles bearing hyaluronic acid (HA) on the surface to target activated macrophages...
- Surface modification with fibrin/hyaluronic acid hydrogel on solid-free form-based scaffolds followed by BMP-2 loading to enhance bone regenerationSun Woong Kang
Department of Biomedical Science, CHA University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Bone 48:298-306. 2011..In the present study, the surface of a scaffold fabricated using MHDS was coated with a mixture of fibrin and hyaluronic acid (HA) and used as a vehicle for delivery of both bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP-2) and adipose-derived ..
- Recognition of hyaluronan released in sterile injury involves a unique receptor complex dependent on Toll-like receptor 4, CD44, and MD-2Kristen R Taylor
Division of Dermatology, University of California, San Diego and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Biol Chem 282:18265-75. 2007..Taken together, our results define a previously unknown mechanism for initiation of sterile inflammation that involves recognition of released hyaluronan fragments as an endogenous signal of tissue injury...
- Adhesion of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes to hyaluronic acid in placental malariaJ G Beeson
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Nat Med 6:86-90. 2000..We report here that most P. falciparum isolates from infected placentae can bind to hyaluronic acid, a newly discovered receptor for parasite adhesion that is present on the placental lining...
- Adhesion, phenotypic expression, and biosynthetic capacity of corneal keratocytes on surfaces coated with hyaluronic acid of different molecular weightsJui Yang Lai
Institute of Biochemical and Biomedical Engineering, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan 33302, Taiwan, ROC
Acta Biomater 8:1068-79. 2012In ophthalmology, hyaluronic acid (HA) is an important extracellular matrix (ECM) component and is appropriate for use in generating a microenvironment for cell cultivation...
- Targeting the tumor microenvironment in cancer: why hyaluronidase deserves a second lookClifford J Whatcott
Clinical Translational Research Division, The Translational Genomics Research Institute, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Cancer Discov 1:291-6. 2011....
- Stimulating effects of Bacillus subtilis natto-fermented Radix astragali on hyaluronic acid production in human skin cellsMei Fang Hsu
Institute of Food Science and Technology, National Taiwan University, P O Box 23 14, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Ethnopharmacol 125:474-81. 2009..Radix astragali, a well-known Chinese herb, which has been traditionally used for skincare, and microbial fermentation is one of the conventional methods for processing Chinese herbs...
- Hyaluronic acid hydrogels for biomedical applicationsJason A Burdick
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
Adv Mater 23:H41-56. 2011b>Hyaluronic acid (HA), an immunoneutral polysaccharide that is ubiquitous in the human body, is crucial for many cellular and tissue functions and has been in clinical use for over thirty years...
- Intra-articular injections for the treatment of osteoarthritis: focus on the clinical use of hyaluronic acidTommaso Iannitti
Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, UK
Drugs R D 11:13-27. 2011..The use of viscosupplementation, i.e. intra-articular (IA) hyaluronic acid (HA) drug therapy, to treat OA, is growing worldwide, due to important results obtained from several clinical ..
- Hyaluronic acid hydrogel for controlled self-renewal and differentiation of human embryonic stem cellsSharon Gerecht
Harvard Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:11298-303. 2007..b>Hyaluronic acid (HA) hydrogels were selected because of the role of HA in early development and feeder layer cultures of ..
- Two novel functions of hyaluronidase-2 (Hyal2) are formation of the glycocalyx and control of CD44-ERM interactionsCecile Duterme
Molecular Physiology Research Unit, University of Namur, 5000 Namur, Belgium
J Biol Chem 284:33495-508. 2009..These effects may be relevant to the purported in vivo tumor-suppressive activity of Hyal2...
- Nanocarriers for cytoplasmic delivery: cellular uptake and intracellular fate of chitosan and hyaluronic acid-coated chitosan nanoparticles in a phagocytic cell modelNoha M Zaki
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ain Shams University, Monazamet El Wehda El Afrikia St, El Abbassia, Cairo, Egypt
Macromol Biosci 11:1747-60. 2011..The surface decoration with HA profoundly influences the kinetics of cellular uptake, with an at least two orders of magnitude slower kinetics, but also the nature of the binding on the cellular surface...
- Extrinsic ageing in the human skin is associated with alterations in the expression of hyaluronic acid and its metabolizing enzymesT G Tzellos
2nd Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Exp Dermatol 18:1028-35. 2009..Glycosaminoglycans (GAG) and particularly hyaluronic acid (HA) are major components of the cutaneous extracellular matrix involved in tissue repair...
- Higher levels of CRP, D-dimer, IL-6, and hyaluronic acid before initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART) are associated with increased risk of AIDS or deathDavid R Boulware
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
J Infect Dis 203:1637-46. 2011..Substantial morbidity occurs during the first year of antiretroviral therapy (ART) in persons with advanced human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) disease despite HIV suppression. Biomarkers may identify high-risk groups...
- Hyaluronan binding by cell surface CD44J Lesley
Cancer Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, San Diego, California 92186 5800, USA
J Biol Chem 275:26967-75. 2000..Kinetic studies of binding and dissociation of fluorescein-conjugated hyaluronan indicated that inducing mAb treatment had little effect on the binding kinetics, but dissociation from the cell surface was greatly delayed by inducing mAb...
- The link module from ovulation- and inflammation-associated protein TSG-6 changes conformation on hyaluronan bindingCharles D Blundell
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:49261-70. 2003....
- Gelatin-chondroitin-hyaluronan tri-copolymer scaffold for cartilage tissue engineeringChih Hung Chang
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Taiwan University, 7 Chung Shan South Road, Taipei 100, Taiwan, ROC
Biomaterials 24:4853-8. 2003..These results show that gelatin/chondroitin sulfate/hyaluronan tri-copolymer has potential for use as a cartilage tissue engineering scaffold...
- Crystal structure of hyaluronidase, a major allergen of bee venomZ Markovic-Housley
Division of Structural Biology Biozentrum University of Basel CH 4056, Basel, Switzerland
Structure 8:1025-35. 2000b>Hyaluronic acid (HA) is the most abundant glycosaminoglycan of vertebrate extracellular spaces and is specifically degraded by a beta-1,4 glycosidase...
- CD44 interaction with c-Src kinase promotes cortactin-mediated cytoskeleton function and hyaluronic acid-dependent ovarian tumor cell migrationL Y Bourguignon
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Miami, Florida 33101, USA
J Biol Chem 276:7327-36. 2001....
- CD44 interaction with tiam1 promotes Rac1 signaling and hyaluronic acid-mediated breast tumor cell migrationL Y Bourguignon
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
J Biol Chem 275:1829-38. 2000In this study we have explored the interaction between CD44 (the hyaluronic acid (HA)-binding receptor) and Tiam1 (a guanine nucleotide exchange factor) in metastatic breast tumor cells (SP1 cell line)...
- Inter-alpha-trypsin inhibitor, a covalent protein-glycosaminoglycan-protein complexLisheng Zhuo
Institute for Molecular Science of Medicine, Aichi Medical University, Nagakute, Aichi 480 1195, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:38079-82. 2004
- Hyaluronan-mediated CD44 activation of RhoGTPase signaling and cytoskeleton function promotes tumor progressionLilly Y W Bourguignon
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco and Endocrine Unit 111N, VA Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 18:251-9. 2008..It could also serve as ground work for the future development of new drug targets to inhibit HA/CD44-mediated tumor metastasis and cancer progression...
- Measurement of serum hyaluronic acid in patients with chronic hepatitis C and its relationship to liver histology. Consensus Interferon Study GroupJ G McHutchison
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:945-51. 2000..have identified serum markers shown to correlate with liver histology, including procollogen III peptide and hyaluronic acid (HA)...
- Signaling properties of hyaluronan receptorsEva A Turley
London Regional Cancer Center, University of Western Ontario, London N6A 4L6, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:4589-92. 2002
- Hyaluronan-dependent pericellular matrixStephen P Evanko
The Hope Heart Program, Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason, 1201 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 59:1351-65. 2007..The importance of the pericellular matrix in cellular mechanotransduction and the response to mechanical strain are also discussed...
- Role of hyaluronan-mediated CD44 signaling in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma progression and chemoresistanceSteven J Wang
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Am J Pathol 178:956-63. 2011..Finally, EGFR-mediated pathways play major roles in the HA/CD44 promotion of chemoresistance in HNSCC. Understanding HA/CD44-mediated signaling pathways may lead to improved treatment of HNSCC...
- Hyaluronan and its catabolic products in tissue injury and repairPaul W Noble
Yale University School of Medicine, Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, LCI 105, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Matrix Biol 21:25-9. 2002..The biological properties of these hyaluronan fragments appear to be distinct from the larger precursor molecules. This review examines the biological role of hyaluronan fragments in tissue injury and repair...
- Therapeutic trajectory of hyaluronic acid versus corticosteroids in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysisRaveendhara R Bannuru
Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Arthritis Rheum 61:1704-11. 2009To compare the efficacy of intraarticular hyaluronic acid with corticosteroids for knee osteoarthritis (OA).
- Hyaluronic acid: a natural biopolymer with a broad range of biomedical and industrial applicationsGrigorij Kogan
Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia
Biotechnol Lett 29:17-25. 2007b>Hyaluronic acid (hyaluronan, HA) is a linear polysaccharide formed from disaccharide units containing N-acetyl-D-glucosamine and glucuronic acid...
- Regulation of MDR1 expression and drug resistance by a positive feedback loop involving hyaluronan, phosphoinositide 3-kinase, and ErbB2Suniti Misra
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Biol Chem 280:20310-5. 2005..This pathway may also be important in progression of other malignant characteristics. These results illustrate the potential importance of hyaluronan as a therapeutic target in multidrug-resistant carcinomas...
- Resolution of lung inflammation by CD44Priit Teder
Department of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Section, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Science 296:155-8. 2002..This phenotype was partially reversed by reconstitution with CD44+ cells, thus demonstrating a critical role for this receptor in resolving lung inflammation...
- CD44 and its role in inflammation and inflammatory diseasesPauline Johnson
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, 2350 Health Sciences Mall, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B C, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets 8:208-20. 2009..Here we describe the contributions of CD44 and hyaluronan to an inflammatory response and discuss the role of CD44 in both promoting and resolving inflammation in various mouse models of inflammatory disease...
- Host tissue interaction, fate, and risks of degradable and nondegradable gel fillersLise Hanne Christensen
Department of Pathology, Bispebjerg Hospital, University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Dermatol Surg 35:1612-9. 2009..Most of the new ones are modified versions of the original collagen and hyaluronic acid gels...
- Silk fibroin/hyaluronan scaffolds for human mesenchymal stem cell culture in tissue engineeringMarcos Garcia-Fuentes
Drug Formulation and Delivery Group, Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zurich, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Biomaterials 30:5068-76. 2009..In conclusion, our data encourages further exploration of silk fibroin/hyaluronan scaffolds as biomimetic platform for mesenchymal stem cells in tissue engineering...
- Inhibition of Stabilin-2 elevates circulating hyaluronic acid levels and prevents tumor metastasisYoshikazu Hirose
Laboratory of Cell Growth and Differentiation and Laboratory of Nuclear Signaling, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:4263-8. 2012b>Hyaluronic acid (HA) has been implicated in the proliferation and metastasis of tumor cells...
- The endothelial glycocalyx protects against myocardial edemaBernard M van den Berg
Department of Medical Physics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Circ Res 92:592-4. 2003..2- to 0.5-microm-thick carbohydrate layer and that its degradation instantly results in notable myocardial tissue edema...
- Role of receptor for hyaluronic acid-mediated motility (RHAMM) in low molecular weight hyaluronan (LMWHA)-mediated fibrosarcoma cell adhesionKaterina Kouvidi
Department of Histology Embryology, University of Crete, Heraklion 71003, Greece
J Biol Chem 286:38509-20. 2011Hyaluronan (HA) modulates key cancer cell functions through interaction with its CD44 and receptor for hyaluronic acid-mediated motility (RHAMM) receptors...
- Age-related changes in pericellular hyaluronan organization leads to impaired dermal fibroblast to myofibroblast differentiationRussell M L Simpson
Institute of Nephrology, Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair, Cardiff University Heath Park, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 175:1915-28. 2009..In conclusion, the HA pericellular coat is integral but not sufficient to correct for the age-dependent defect in phenotypic conversion...
- Acylation of CD44 and its association with lipid rafts are required for receptor and hyaluronan endocytosisSai P Thankamony
Department of Biochemistry, Rush Medical College, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Biol Chem 281:34601-9. 2006..These results indicate that palmitoylation of CD44 is a critical driving determinant to CD44 association with lipid rafts and, concomitantly, the rates of hyaluronan endocytosis and CD44 turnover from cell surface...
- Hyaluronic acid: a unique topical vehicle for the localized delivery of drugs to the skinM B Brown
Department of Pharmacy, King s College London, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, London, SE1 9NN, UK
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 19:308-18. 2005b>Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a naturally occurring polyanionic, polysaccharide that consists of N-acetyl-D-glucosamine and beta-glucoronic acid...
- Macromer density influences mesenchymal stem cell chondrogenesis and maturation in photocrosslinked hyaluronic acid hydrogelsI E Erickson
McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:1639-48. 2009..In this study, we investigated the ability of bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) to undergo chondrogenesis in crosslinked methacrylated hyaluronic acid hydrogels (MeHA) of different macromer concentrations (1, 2, and 5%).
- Redox-sensitive micelles self-assembled from amphiphilic hyaluronic acid-deoxycholic acid conjugates for targeted intracellular delivery of paclitaxelJing Li
State Key Laboratory of Natural Medicines, Department of Pharmaceutics, China Pharmaceutical University, 24 Tongjiaxiang, Nanjing 210009, China
Biomaterials 33:2310-20. 2012..intracellular delivery system of paclitaxel (PTX) was successfully developed based on redox-sensitive hyaluronic acid-deoxycholic acid (HA-ss-DOCA) conjugates...
- Quercetin inhibits IL-1β-induced inflammation, hyaluronan production and adipogenesis in orbital fibroblasts from Graves' orbitopathyJin Sook Yoon
Institute of Vision Research, Department of Ophthalmology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
PLoS ONE 6:e26261. 2011..In conclusion, inhibition of inflammation, hyaluronan production, and adipogenesis by the natural plant product quercetin in vitro provides the basis for further study of its potential use in the treatment of GO...
- The development and characteristics of novel microneedle arrays fabricated from hyaluronic acid, and their application in the transdermal delivery of insulinShu Liu
Department of Biopharmaceutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
J Control Release 161:933-41. 2012The aim of the present study was to develop novel insulin-loaded microneedle arrays (MNs) fabricated from hyaluronic acid (HA), and characterize their applicability in the transdermal delivery of insulin...
- Hyaluronic acid derivative-based self-assembled nanoparticles for the treatment of melanomaYu Jin Jin
College of Pharmacy Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Pharm Res 29:3443-54. 2012b>Hyaluronic acid-ceramide (HACE)-based nanoparticles (NPs) were developed for the targeted delivery of doxorubicin (DOX), and their antitumor efficacy for melanoma was evaluated.
- Hyaluronic acid-coated nanostructured lipid carriers for targeting paclitaxel to cancerXiao Yan Yang
The School of Pharmaceutical Science, Shandong University, 44 Wenhua Xi Road, Ji Nan, Shandong Province 250012, China
Cancer Lett 334:338-45. 2013The aim of our study was to develop hyaluronic acid-coated, paclitaxel-loaded, nanostructured lipid carriers (HA-NLCs) prepared via electrostatic attraction for delivering paclitaxel (PTX) to tumors overexpressing CD44...
- Hyaluronic acid derivatives and their healing effect on burns, epithelial surgical wounds, and chronic wounds: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJeffrey Voigt
Medical Device Consultants of Ridgewood, LLC, 99 Glenwood Road, Ridgewood, NJ 07450, USA
Wound Repair Regen 20:317-31. 2012b>Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a polysaccharide common to most species and is found in many sites in the human body, including the skin and soft tissue...
- Hyaluronan production increases the malignant properties of mesothelioma cellsY Li
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Box 575S 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
Br J Cancer 85:600-7. 2001..These results provide evidence for an important role of hyaluronan in the aggressive spread of mesotheliomas in adjacent non-cancerous stromal tissues...
- Impaired cumulus mucification and female sterility in tumor necrosis factor-induced protein-6 deficient miceCsaba Fulop
Section of Connective Tissue Biology, Department of Biomedical Engineering, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Development 130:2253-61. 2003..These results provide clear evidence that TNFIP6 is a key catalyst in the formation of the cumulus extracellular matrix and indispensable for female fertility...
- The three-dimensional vascularization of growth factor-releasing hybrid scaffold of poly (epsilon-caprolactone)/collagen fibers and hyaluronic acid hydrogelAndrew K Ekaputra
Graduate Program in Bioengineering, NUS Tissue Engineering Program, DSO Kent Ridge Building Level 4, 117510 Singapore
Biomaterials 32:8108-17. 2011..In an attempt to address these issues, a hybrid mesh of poly (ɛ-caprolactone)-collagen blend (PCL/Col) and hyaluronic acid (HA) hydrogel, Heprasil™ was created via a dual electrodeposition system...
- Oligosaccharides of hyaluronic acid increased epidermal cell stemness by modulation of integrin expressionHye Ryung Choi
Department of Dermatology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, Korea
J Cosmet Dermatol 11:290-6. 2012b>Hyaluronic acid (HA) is an abundant matrix component and is degraded into polymers of various sizes. These generated fragments appear to have properties that affect wound healing of the skin...
- Hyaluronic acid promotes angiogenesis by inducing RHAMM-TGFβ receptor interaction via CD44-PKCδDeokbum Park
School of Biological Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200 701, Korea
Mol Cells 33:563-74. 2012b>Hyaluronic acid (HA) has been shown to promote angiogenesis. However, the mechanism behind this effect remains largely unknown. Therefore, in this study, the mechanism of HA-induced angiogenesis was examined...
- Elucidating the mechanobiology of malignant brain tumors using a brain matrix-mimetic hyaluronic acid hydrogel platformBadriprasad Ananthanarayanan
Department of Bioengineering and California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Biomaterials 32:7913-23. 2011..To address this need, we synthesized brain-mimetic ECMs based on hyaluronic acid (HA) with a range of stiffnesses that encompasses normal and tumorigenic brain tissue and functionalized ..
- Disruption of hyaluronan synthase-2 abrogates normal cardiac morphogenesis and hyaluronan-mediated transformation of epithelium to mesenchymeT D Camenisch
Samuel C Johnson Medical Research Center, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, Scottsdale, Arizona 85259, USA
J Clin Invest 106:349-60. 2000..They also reveal a previously unrecognized pathway for cell migration and invasion that is HA-dependent and involves Ras activation...
- Transperineal injection of hyaluronic acid in anterior perirectal fat to decrease rectal toxicity from radiation delivered with intensity modulated brachytherapy or EBRT for prostate cancer patientsPedro J Prada
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital Central de Asturias, Oviedo, Spain
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:95-102. 2007..We began an investigational trial injecting hyaluronic acid (HA) in the perirectal fat to increase the distance between the prostate and the anterior rectal wall...
- Intracellular hyaluronan in arterial smooth muscle cells: association with microtubules, RHAMM, and the mitotic spindleStephen P Evanko
Hope Heart Program Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason, 1201 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101 2795, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 52:1525-35. 2004..In permeabilized cells, fluorescein-hyaluronan bound to RHAMM-associated microtubules. These findings suggest novel functions for hyaluronan in cellular physiology...
- Hyaluronan synthesis and degradation in cartilage and boneE R Bastow
Arthritis Research Group, University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics and Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, Australia
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:395-413. 2008..The role and regulation of HA synthesis and degradation in cartilage, bone and skeletal development is discussed...
- Self-assembled hyaluronic acid nanoparticles for active tumor targetingKi Young Choi
Department of Life and Nanopharmaceutical Sciences, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130 701, Republic of Korea
Biomaterials 31:106-14. 2010b>Hyaluronic acid nanoparticles (HA-NPs), which are formed by the self-assembly of hydrophobically modified HA derivatives, were prepared to investigate their physicochemical characteristics and fates in tumor-bearing mice after systemic ..
- Dynamic compressive loading enhances cartilage matrix synthesis and distribution and suppresses hypertrophy in hMSC-laden hyaluronic acid hydrogelsLiming Bian
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Tissue Eng Part A 18:715-24. 2012..distribution of cartilage specific matrix, and the hypertrophic differentiation of human MSCs encapsulated in hyaluronic acid (HA) hydrogels during long term culture...
- Gene delivery through the use of a hyaluronate-associated intracellularly degradable crosslinked polyethyleneiminePeisheng Xu
Department of Industrial and Physical Pharmacy, Purdue University, 575 Stadium Mall Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Biomaterials 30:5834-43. 2009....
- Anti-Inflammatory Glycosaminoglycan Ethers for Treatment of PeriodontitisJUSTIN RODNEY SAVAGE; Fiscal Year: 2011..We propose to develop anionic, partially lipophilic hyaluronic acid derivatives as a simple mechanistically-based treatment for this chronic extraordinarily common dental ..
- Role of CD44 in experimental Multiple SclerosisMitzi Nagarkatti; Fiscal Year: 2013..unique CD44v isoforms which promote their interactions with ECs at the BBB via specific ligands, such as hyaluronic acid (HA) and/or osteopontin (OPN). Such an interaction would trigger EC injury and significant damage to the BBB...
- Anti-Inflammatory Glycosaminoglycan Ethers for Treatment of PeriodontitisJUSTIN RODNEY SAVAGE; Fiscal Year: 2013..family of 5 kDa semi-synthetic glycosaminoglycan ethers (SAGEs), derived from sulfation and alkylation of hyaluronic acid (HA), that are intrinsically non-anticoagulant...
- Alcohol &Antiretrovirals in HIV Infection, Oxidative Stress and Liver DiseaseMarianna K Baum; Fiscal Year: 2012..Hepatocellular injury and function will be determined with plasma levels of ALT, AST, platelets, albumin, hyaluronic acid and total and conjugated bilirubin...
- REGULATION OF ATROPHY-INDUCED PROGENITOR CELLS IN THE GASTRIC CORPUSJason C Mills; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, the experiments proposed may help us begin to understand stem cell response to injury in multiple tissues and diseases. Finally, our new finding that the key drug tamoxifen causes gastric toxicity warrants further study in humans. ..
- Effects of lymphangiogenesis stimulation on lung allograft rejectionSouheil El-Chemaly; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, it will pave the way for the development of novel strategies to tret acute rejection in lung transplant recipients. ..
- Mechanisms of oxidant-induced chronic bronchitisROSANNA C MALBRAN FORTEZA; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Novel Glycosaminoglycan Ethers for Prevention of MetastasisAlana L Welm; Fiscal Year: 2011..We propose to develop anionic, partially lipophilic hyaluronic acid derivatives as a synthetic, low anticoagulant, sulfated polysaccharide approach to inhibiting metastatic ..
- Immunoglobulin Activation of FibroblastsTerry J Smith; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this proposal, we identify abnormalities in human immune system that underlie development of TAO, and apply these insights to animal models in which treatments can be developed. ..
- Regulation of Tumor Associated Macrophages by TGF-betaVenkateshwar G Keshamouni; Fiscal Year: 2012..in host derived molecules, including heat shock proteins, double stranded DNA from necrotic tumor cells and Hyaluronic acid that can potentially activate macrophage TLR signaling to trigger anti-tumoral responses...
- The Role of Beta-Arrestins 1 and 2 in Rheumatoid ArthritisHongkuan Fan; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Leukemia Inhibitory Factor As a Mediator of Primate Ovulation &Oocyte MaturationJon D Hennebold; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., pre-hCG) will be directly exposed to LIF to determine a direct effect of this cytokine on promoting C-OE, reinitiation of meiosis, fertilization, and embryonic development. ..
- Novel Glycosaminoglycan Derivatives for Treatment of Bladder InflammationJUSTIN RODNEY SAVAGE; Fiscal Year: 2011..The ultimate goal of this proposal is to both gain a better understanding of bladder inflammatory pathogenesis, and to provide a safe and effective new treatment for the many patients who suffer from PBS/IC. ..
- Development of Cytokine-Inhibiting Gels for Treating Chronic WoundsNewell R Washburn; Fiscal Year: 2010..pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as tumor necrosis factor- 1, which have been covalently attached to hyaluronic acid gels...
- The role of TNF-Alpha in cutaneous integrityVictoria P Werth; Fiscal Year: 2013..This information will facilitate evaluation and development of potential interventions to prevent these extensive and destructive changes in skin. ..
- Processing and Preservation of Human Umbilical Cord Stem Cells for Cell TherapeutAlfred Bahnson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Wharton's jelly (WJ) surrounds the cord vessels and consists of proteoglycans, collagen, hyaluronic acid and fibroblast-like cells...
- Impact of Insufficient Vascular EC-SOD in Pulmonary HypertensionEVA NOZIK GRAYCK; Fiscal Year: 2013..These findings will have important implications in a wide range of lung diseases to ultimately improve health outcome for patients with these serious problems. ..
- N-acetylglucosamine signaling in fungiJames B Konopka; Fiscal Year: 2012..albicans and related yeasts will serve as important models for understanding how GlcNAc signaling contributes to human diseases and will also aid in the development of novel therapeutic approaches for pathogenic fungi. ..
- A Novel Approach for Biomaterials Assisted Regeneration of Pulp-Dentin ComplexSatish Alapati; Fiscal Year: 2013..parameters for a novel method to enrich progenitor cells for repair of dental pulp tissue;(2) synthesis of hyaluronic acid analogues that include progenitor pulp cells to promote their proliferation, differentiation, and ..
- Host-pathogen signaling in group A streptococcal infectionMichael R Wessels; Fiscal Year: 2012..regulation of more than 100 genes including those that direct synthesis of key virulence factors such as the hyaluronic acid capsule, streptolysin S, streptokinase, streptodornase, and proteins Mac and GRAB...
- Research on inhalation toxicology of environmental chemicalsROBERT O'CONNER; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Ferritin-Based Molecular Imaging of Cardiac Stem Cell TherapyChun Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specifically, we will test the ability of the hyaluronic acid-based hydrogel, Extracell, to promote the survival and expansion of hESC derived cardiomyocytes in the ..
- INITIATION OF HUMAN LABOR: PREVENTION OF PREMATURITYCarole R Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose that these interrelated projects, carried out by a highly interactive research team, will achieve the long-range goals of this Program and contribute to a reduction in the incidence of preterm birth. ..
- ABCA3 and the Response to Lung InjuryRashmin C Savani; Fiscal Year: 2012..Further, the findings emanating from these studies will be relevant to other severe conditions of the lung (e.g. cystic fibrosis) and liver (e.g. alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency) that have similar mechanisms of disease. ..
- The Endothelial Glycocalyx: Its Structure and Function and as a MechanotransducerJohn M Tarbell; Fiscal Year: 2013..are coated with a glycocalyx of membrane-bound macromolecules comprised of sulfated proteoglycans, hyaluronic acid, sialic acids, glycocproteins and plasma proteins that adhere to this surface matrix...
- Mechanisms of Bladder Cancer ProgressionVinata B Lokeshwar; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a glycosaminoglycan and HYAL1 is a tumor cell-derived hyaluronidase (HAase) that degrades HA into ..
- IDO-silencing Salmonella therapy for the treatment of primary and metastatic PDACDon J Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2013..The long-term objective is to develop shIDO-ST into a suitable, effective therapy for the treatment of patients with advanced inoperable PDAC. ..
- Regulation of smooth muscle cell function by CD44 in cardiovascular diseaseELLEN PURE apos PURE'; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed studies will define mechanisms that regulate smooth muscle cell growth and thus provide novel targets for treatment of atherosclerosis and restenosis. ..
- Cues for cell-mediated regeneration of elastin matrix in aortic aneurysmsAnand Ramamurthi; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Invasion of glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) cells in organotypic brain slicesZEV ARI BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, antibody-mediated inhibition of CD44 binding to hyaluronic acid will be used to determine the effect on cell motility, protrusion dynamics, microenvironment deformations, ..
- Invasion of C. neoformans into brain endothelial cellsAmbrose Y Jong; Fiscal Year: 2012..We demonstrated that C. neoformans CPS1 encoded hyaluronic acid synthase. We also verified that CPS1 was required for C...
- New probes for matrix metalloproteinase 13Gregg B Fields; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, a unique mode of MMP inhibition will be identified. ..
- The Role of Acid-active Hyaluronidases in Sperm FunctionPATRICIA ANASTASIA DELEON; Fiscal Year: 2010..Of the 6 mammalian hyases that catalyze the breakdown of hyaluronic acid (HA) in the extracellular matrix, 5 are known to be abundantly expressed in the testis...
- TSG-6: Novel Regulator of Viral-Induced Hyaluronan Synthesis in Inflamed AirwaysMark E Lauer; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Collagen I, Hyaluronan, and AgingMay J Reed; Fiscal Year: 2011..A better understanding of aged-related changes in HA in the extracellular matrix will allow for studies that exam the effect of utilizing endogenous and exogenous HA to modulate angiogenesis during tissue repair in vivo. ..
- CD44 &Stem Cell Marker (Nanog) in Head and Neck CancerLILLY YW BOURGUIGNON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, this proposed project has potentially important clinical utility for the treatment of Veteran patients with HNSCC;and therefore, it is highly relevant to the VA patient care mission. ..
- Multivalent Conjugates of Sonic Hedgehog to Accelerate Diabetic Wound HealingWESLEY MICHAEL JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..this technology, we have conjugated Sonic hedgehog (Shh), an important angiogenic factor, to linear chains of hyaluronic acid (HyA), and by varying the ratio of Shh: HyA, we can modulate its ability to activate the Shh pathway...
- Cartilage Degeneration and Repair By ADAMTSs and Hyaluronan Binding ProteinsAnna H Plaas; Fiscal Year: 2013..To achieve these objectives we are using QPCR of fibrogenic and chondrogenic genes, siRNA silencing of gene expression, confocal and 2-photon microscopy of cells and ?CT for quantitative cartilage depth and surface analysis. ..
- Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Ligands and Thyroid Eye DiseaseRichard P Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- GENETIC MODULATION OF BLOOD AND VASCULAR GLYCOSYLATIONNISSI MARY VARKI; Fiscal Year: 2012..Many more opportunities for intellectual and practical collaborations and synergies have also emerged. These studies will reveal many important functions for glycans in health and disease. ..
- Host Defense Mechanisms in Chronic Lung DiseaseJo Rae Wright; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- HA in fungal allergic asthmaJane M Schuh; Fiscal Year: 2013..The objective of this proposal is to show that changes in pulmonary hyaluronic acid (HA) influence the movement and the function of activated B lymphocytes in the allergic lung and that ..
- Asthma Inflammation Research (AIR)Serpil C Erzurum; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Mediators of Inflammation in Intestinal InjuryWilliam F Stenson; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to treat these mice with intraperitoneal hyaluronic acid and quantify mesenchymal stem cell migration in the small intestine...
- Elastogenic Factor Functionalized Electrospun Scaffolds for in vivo Generation ofCHRISTOPHER A BASHUR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 2C will determine graft patency through autologous transplantation in a rat aorta. The significance of this proposal is in engineering vascular tissue replacements with elastic matrix similar to native tissue. ..
- A zebrafish model for studying orbital development and diseaseAlon Kahana; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Development of a Biomimetic Vitreous SubstituteNathan Ravi; Fiscal Year: 2013..is that we can accomplish this by using water-soluble thiolated synthetic analogues of the collagen and hyaluronic acid, the two primary components of the vitreous...
- Hyaluronan in Epidermal Injury ResponsesEdward Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2009..Findings from the research could provide new approaches for dampening epidermal hyperplasia and reducing abnormal cornification, thus providing new opportunities to ameliorate several very common skin diseases. ..
- Rotator cuff repair using hyaluronan enriched fascia extracellular matrixKATHLEEN ANNE DERWIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF RETROOCULAR CONNECTIVE TISSUETerry J Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..They should directly impact the field of TAO by defining potentially attractive therapeutic targets which can be tested in vitro and can be translated into clinical trials involving patients with this vexing disease. ..
- Vibratory MechanotransductionCharles K Webb; Fiscal Year: 2010..increases in the expression of extracellular matrix molecules with antiscarring activity, including hyaluronic acid, decorin, and fibromodulin...
- Hyaluronan facilitates hematopoietic recovery following ionizing irradiationSophia K Khaldoyanidi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Together, the obtained results will provide important information regarding the possibility to target the hematopoietic niche by using HA following different doses of ionizing irradiation. ..
- The A2a adenosine receptor modulates hyaluronan mediated lung inflammationMAUREEN RENEE HORTON; Fiscal Year: 2010..We believe that these studies will provide the pre-clinical basis for the use of A2aR specific agonists in the treatment of inflammatory lung diseases such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. ..
- Cartilage Innate Immunity in OsteoarthritisRU BRYAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..There is a pressing need to identify mediators beyond IL-1 that drive OA progression, in order to develop true and effective disease modifying treatment of this disease. ..
- Matrix Regulation of Pulmonary FibrosisPAUL WESLEY NOBLE; Fiscal Year: 2013..4. Identify genomic signatures of matrix-invading fibroblasts from severe pulmonary fibrosis and elucidate the signaling pathways that regulate invasion. ..
- The role of the mitotic spindle protein RHAMM in early stage bladder cancerRANDOLPH STONE II; Fiscal Year: 2012..One of these biomarkers, RHAMM (receptor for hyaluronic acid mediated motility, also called Hmmr), may also have oncogenic function and thereby play a role in UCC ..
- Hyaluronan and CD44 are Novel Targets for Acute Lung injuryPatrick A Singleton; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will yield novel mechanistic insights into HMW- HA's protection from ALI-associated pathobiology and inflammatory lung injury as well as provide novel therapeutic strategies to reduce ALI-mediated lung injury. ..
- Anti-angiogenesis of HC-HA Covalent Complex and PTX3 Purified from Fetal MembraneScheffer C G Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2011..Consequently, we may develop new therapeutics based on PTX3 bound to HC"HA to treat many diseases in and beyond ophthalmology where unwanted angiogenesis is detrimental to our vision and health. ..
- Multivalent Conjugates for Enhanced Bioactivity of Growth Factor Based TherapiesKEVIN EDWARD HEALY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using this approach, w have conjugated Shh to linear chains of hyaluronic acid (HyA), and by varying the ratio of Shh:HyA, we can modulate its ability to activate the Shh pathway...
- Targeting Stromal Collagen in Pancreatic CancerDaniel D Von Hoff; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- CD44 Antagonists in Targeted and Combinational Therapy for GlioblastomaQin Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore, this proposal has high biological and clinical relevance and significance, and translational potential. ..
- Biodegradable, hyaluronic acid-based microcarriers for mesenchymal stem cell propISAAC EDWARD ERICKSON; Fiscal Year: 2011..The goal of this proposal is to determine the feasibility of preparing biodegradable and biocompatible microcarriers that can double as a substrate for expanding hMSC in a bioreactor and as a delivery vehicle for localized applications. ..
- Host Factors in Regulation of Inflammatory and Fibroproliferative Lung DiseasePAUL WESLEY NOBLE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Each of these projects shares the common theme that interactions of host factors regulates inflammatory and fibrotic lung diseases. ..
- HYALURONIC ACID/TGF-B COMPOSITE TO TREAT OSTEOARTHRITISSTEVEN KINCAID; Fiscal Year: 1991..Treatment of osteoarthritic joints with injections of hyaluronic acid has proven to provide short term improvement of clinical signs possibly because of its lubricating properties ..
- STREPTOCOCCAL HYALURONATE CAPSULEIvo van de Rijn; Fiscal Year: 1999..Group A and C streptococci have the ability to surround themselves with a capsule formed by hyaluronic acid which serves as a virulence factor...
- Hyaluronan/CD44 and the Early Endometriotic LesionRobert Schenken; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings should enable us to predict a woman's risk of developing endometriosis based on endometrial cell CD44 characteristics and suggest new approaches to prevent the disease. ..
- Effects of Hyaluronan on Interstitial ConvectionMICHAEL FLESSNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of this research project will provide a basis for future work designed to preserve or enhance the transport characteristics of peritoneal tissue during chronic dialysis. ..
- EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX IN GLAUCOMAPAUL KNEPPER; Fiscal Year: 2002..studies and image analysis indicate that POAG is associated with a marked decrease in one glycosaminoglycan, hyaluronic acid, in the trabecular meshwork...
- BIOCHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF GBS HYALURONATE LYASEDavid Pritchard; Fiscal Year: 1999..In addition, the ability of passively administered antibody to the enzyme to abolish its invasion-enhancing effects will be assessed. ..
- STABILIZATION OF THE CUMULUS ECM AND OVULATIONLarry Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2002..of IalphaI and PalphaI from the plasma into the follicle and their subsequent binding to newly synthesized hyaluronic acid (HA) and stabilization of the cumulus extracellular matrix (cECM)...
- Aerosolized hyaluronic acid as a treatment for COPDGerard Turino; Fiscal Year: 2006..dose, placebo-controlled clinical study to evaluate the safety of administering repeated doses of aerosolized hyaluronic acid (HA) twice daily over two weeks to subjects with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- THE ROLE OF HYALURONAN IN AIRWAY HYPERREACTIVITYRosanna Forteza; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus, the results of this proposal will not only significantly advance our knowledge of airway biology and asthma, but may have important implications to other mucosal surfaces as well. ..
- SEQUESTER HYALURONAN--LIMIT CHRONIC ALLOGRAFT REJECTIONRASHMIN SAVANI; Fiscal Year: 1999..Success of this novel therapy would encourage us to examine its possible use in human disease. ..
- Growth Factor Treatment for Aged Vocal FoldsBernard Rousseau; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this research is to explore the use of growth factors for restoring the delicate balance among extracellular matrix components in the aged vocal fold. ..
- Hyaluronan and its Receptors in BPDRASHMIN SAVANI; Fiscal Year: 2006This proposal focuses on the role of the glycosaminoglycan hyaluronan (hyaluronic acid, HA) and the pulmonary collectins SP-A and SP-D in inflammation and Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD) in baboon models of preterm birth and ventilation...
- Hyaluronan Enriched Fascia ECM for Rotator Cuff RepairLIKANG CHIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Use of such a scaffold for rotator cuff augmentation could restore function of the tendon, alleviate patient pain, and consequently reduce medical costs and work-related losses. ..