Genomes and Genes
Summary: A heteropolysaccharide that is similar in structure to HEPARIN. It accumulates in individuals with MUCOPOLYSACCHARIDOSIS.
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- Human papillomavirus infection requires cell surface heparan sulfateT Giroglou
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, University of Mainz, 55101 Mainz, Germany
J Virol 75:1565-70. 2001..Alpha-6 integrin is not a receptor for HPV-33 pseudoinfection...
- The structure of glycosaminoglycans and their interactions with proteinsNeha S Gandhi
Western Australian Biomedical Research Institute, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
Chem Biol Drug Des 72:455-82. 2008..New approaches to the development of GAG mimetics as possible new glycotherapeutics are also briefly covered...
- Sanfilippo syndrome: a mini-reviewM J Valstar
Department of Pediatrics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Inherit Metab Dis 31:240-52. 2008....
- C. elegans Kallmann syndrome protein KAL-1 interacts with syndecan and glypican to regulate neuronal cell migrationsMartin L Hudson
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, Sinsheimer Laboratories, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Dev Biol 294:352-65. 2006..SDN-1 and GPN-1 are expressed in ventral neuroblasts and have redundant roles in KAL-1-dependent neuroblast migrations. Our findings suggest that KAL-1 interacts with multiple HSPGs to promote cell migration...
- FGFs, heparan sulfate and FGFRs: complex interactions essential for developmentD M Ornitz
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Bioessays 22:108-12. 2000..The establishment of a role for heparan sulfate in FGFR activation in vivo suggests that tissue-specific differences in the structure of heparan may modulate the activity of FGF. BioEssays 22:108-112, 2000...
- Productive dengue virus infection of human endothelial cells is directed by heparan sulfate-containing proteoglycan receptorsNadine Dalrymple
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Stony Brook University, Life Sciences Rm 126, Stony Brook, NY 11794 5222, USA
J Virol 85:9478-85. 2011....
- Endothelial cell glycocalyx modulates immobilization of leukocytes at the endothelial surfaceAlina A Constantinescu
Department of Medical Physics, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:1541-7. 2003....
- Extracellular sugar modifications provide instructive and cell-specific information for axon-guidance choicesHannes E Bülow
Department of Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Curr Biol 18:1978-85. 2008....
- Perlecan maintains the integrity of cartilage and some basement membranesM Costell
Department of Experimental Pathology, Lund University, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
J Cell Biol 147:1109-22. 1999....
- Differential sulfations and epimerization define heparan sulfate specificity in nervous system developmentHannes E Bülow
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032 USA
Neuron 41:723-36. 2004..Our results demonstrate that the molecular diversity in HS encodes information that is crucial for different aspects of neuronal development...
- A systems biology approach for the investigation of the heparin/heparan sulfate interactomeAlessandro Ori
Institute of Integrative Biology and Centre for Glycobiology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:19892-904. 2011..The evolutionary role of HS was reinforced by the presence of a rudimentary HS biosynthetic machinery in a unicellular organism at the root of the metazoan lineage...
- Regulation of Wnt signaling and embryo patterning by an extracellular sulfataseG K Dhoot
Department of Basic Veterinary Sciences, The Royal Veterinary College, University of London, Royal College Street, London NW1 OTU, UK
Science 293:1663-6. 2001....
- Initial interaction of herpes simplex virus with cells is binding to heparan sulfateD WuDunn
Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637
J Virol 63:52-8. 1989..Consistent with their broad host ranges, the two HSV serotypes use as primary receptors ubiquitous cell surface components known to participate in interactions with the extracellular matrix and with other cell surfaces...
- Efficient infection of cells in culture by type O foot-and-mouth disease virus requires binding to cell surface heparan sulfateT Jackson
Pirbright Laboratory, Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright, Surrey, United Kingdom
J Virol 70:5282-7. 1996..The results show that entry of type O FMDV into cells is a complex process and suggest that the initial contact with the cell surface is made through heparan sulfate...
- A novel role for 3-O-sulfated heparan sulfate in herpes simplex virus 1 entryD Shukla
Department of Microbiology Immunology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Cell 99:13-22. 1999....
- Proteoglycans in health and disease: new concepts for heparanase function in tumor progression and metastasisUri Barash
Cancer and Vascular Biology Research Center, Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
FEBS J 277:3890-903. 2010....
- Heparan sulfate-mediated binding of infectious dengue virus type 2 and yellow fever virusRaphaele Germi
Laboratoire de Virologie Moléculaire et Structurale EA 2939, Universite Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, La Tronche, 38700, France
Virology 292:162-8. 2002..Heparin also inhibited Yellow fever virus infection by 97%. Using infectious virus, the present work shows the importance of heparan sulfate in binding and infection of these two flaviviruses...
- Shaping morphogen gradients by proteoglycansDong Yan
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 1:a002493. 2009..Here, we review these data, highlighting recent findings that reveal mechanistic roles of HSPGs in controlling morphogen gradient formation...
- Shedding of the endothelial glycocalyx in patients undergoing major vascular surgery with global and regional ischemiaMarkus Rehm
Clinic of Anesthesiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Circulation 116:1896-906. 2007..As already demonstrated, this structure plays a key role in the regulation of inflammation and vascular permeability...
- The role of heparan sulphate in inflammationChristopher R Parish
Division of Immunology and Genetics, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Nat Rev Immunol 6:633-43. 2006....
- The putative tumor suppressors EXT1 and EXT2 are glycosyltransferases required for the biosynthesis of heparan sulfateT Lind
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, The Biomedical Center, Box 575, S 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
J Biol Chem 273:26265-8. 1998..Thus at least two members of the EXT family of tumor suppressors encode glycosyltransferases involved in the chain elongation step of HS biosynthesis...
- Heparin and heparan sulfate: structure and functionDallas L Rabenstein
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Riverside 92521, USA
Nat Prod Rep 19:312-31. 2002..The literature up to August 2001 is reviewed, and 208 references are cited...
- Altered heparan sulfate structure in mice with deleted NDST3 gene functionSrinivas R Pallerla
Department of General Zoology and Genetics, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Munster, Germany
J Biol Chem 283:16885-94. 2008....
- Sulfated polysaccharides enhance the biological activities of bone morphogenetic proteinsTakatora Takada
Department of Biochemistry, Showa University, Tokyo 142 8555, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:43229-35. 2003..Taken together, these results suggest that sulfated polysaccharides enhance the biological activity of both homodimers and heterodimers of BMPs by continuously serving the ligands to their signaling receptors expressed on cell membranes...
- Plasma and urinary levels of dermatan sulfate and heparan sulfate derived disaccharides after long-term enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) in MPS I: correlation with the timing of ERT and with total urinary excretion of glycosaminoglycansMinke H de Ru
Department of Pediatrics, Amsterdam Lysosome Centre Sphinx, Academic Medical Center, University Hospital of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Inherit Metab Dis 36:247-55. 2013..We studied the concentrations of heparan sulfate and dermatan sulfate derived disaccharides (HS and DS, respectively) in the plasma and urine of seven patients and compared these levels with total urinary GAGs (uGAGs) levels...
- Syndecans as receptors and organizers of the extracellular matrixXiaojie Xian
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Biocenter, Denmark
Cell Tissue Res 339:31-46. 2010..Developmental deficits in lower vertebrates in which syndecans are eliminated are also informative and suggest that, in mammals, redundancy is a key issue...
- Human herpesvirus 8 envelope glycoprotein K8.1A interaction with the target cells involves heparan sulfateF Z Wang
Department of Microbiology, Molecular Genetics, and Immunology, The University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
J Virol 75:7517-27. 2001..These findings suggest that gpK8.1A interaction with target cells involves cell surface HS-like moieties, and HHV-8 interaction with HS could be in part mediated by virion envelope-associated gpK8.1A...
- Dengue virus strain DEN2 16681 utilizes a specific glycochain of syndecan-2 proteoglycan as a receptorKenta Okamoto
Department of Virology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University and Global COE Program, Nagasaki, Japan
J Gen Virol 93:761-70. 2012..Our findings present an entry mechanism that could be implicated for DENV adaptation and HS-mediated DENV infection...
- Interactions between heparan sulfate and proteins-design and functional implicationsUlf Lindahl
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden
Int Rev Cell Mol Biol 276:105-59. 2009..These findings raise intriguing questions concerning the functional significance of regulation in HS biosynthesis...
- Perlecan domain V of Drosophila melanogaster. Sequence, recombinant analysis and tissue expressionM V Friedrich
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Germany
Eur J Biochem 267:3149-59. 2000..This indicates, as for mammalian species, a distinct role of perlecan during Drosophila development...
- Carrageenan is a potent inhibitor of papillomavirus infectionChristopher B Buck
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS Pathog 2:e69. 2006..Some of these products block HPV infectivity in vitro, even when diluted a million-fold. Clinical trials are needed to determine whether carrageenan-based products are effective as topical microbicides against genital HPVs...
- Sézary syndrome cells overexpress syndecan-4 bearing distinct heparan sulfate moieties that suppress T-cell activation by binding DC-HIL and trapping TGF-beta on the cell surfaceJin Sung Chung
Department of Dermatology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and Dermatology Section Medical Service, Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9069, USA
Blood 117:3382-90. 2011..Finally, we showed toxin-conjugated DC-HIL to abrogate the ability of SS cells to proliferate in vitro. These findings indicate that SD-4 bearing distinct HS moieties plays a pathogenic role in SS and may be targeted for treatment...
- Perlecan is essential for cartilage and cephalic developmentE Arikawa-Hirasawa
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 23:354-8. 1999..Our findings suggest that these molecules affect similar signalling pathways...
- Contribution of EXT1, EXT2, and EXTL3 to heparan sulfate chain elongationMarta Busse
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, Bergen, Norway
J Biol Chem 282:32802-10. 2007..One of the mutations, EXT2-Y419X, resulted in a truncated protein. Interestingly, the capacity of wild type EXT2 to enhance HS chain length together with EXT1 was not shared by the EXT2-Y419X mutant...
- Interactions of fibrillin-1 with heparin/heparan sulfate, implications for microfibrillar assemblyK Tiedemann
, , Ratzeburger Allee 160, , Germany
J Biol Chem 276:36035-42. 2001..These studies suggest that binding of fibrillin-1 to proteoglycan-associated heparan sulfate chains is an important step in the assembly of microfibrils...
- Mapping of the binding of platelet-derived growth factor to distinct domains of the basement membrane proteins BM-40 and perlecan and distinction from the BM-40 collagen-binding epitopeW Göhring
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Martinsried, Germany
Eur J Biochem 255:60-6. 1998..Neither nidogen, BM-40 or perlecan domain III-2 interfered with the binding of PDGF to its alpha and beta receptors, however, suggesting that these interactions may be mainly used for storage of PDGF in the extracellular matrix...
- Antiviral activity of chondroitin sulphate E targeting dengue virus envelope proteinDaisuke Kato
Department of Biochemistry, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, and Global COE Program for Innovation in Human Health Sciences, 52 1 Yada, Suruga ku, Shizuoka shi, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
Antiviral Res 88:236-43. 2010..In conclusion, CSE showed antiviral activity as an entry inhibitor targeting E protein of dengue virus...
- Organ-specific sulfation patterns of heparan sulfate generated by extracellular sulfatases Sulf1 and Sulf2 in miceSatoshi Nagamine
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Biol Chem 287:9579-90. 2012..These findings indicate that Sulf1 and Sulf2 differentially contribute to the generation of organ-specific sulfation patterns of heparan sulfate...
- Changes in glycosaminoglycans and related proteoglycans in intrinsically aged human skin in vivoJang Hee Oh
Exp Dermatol 20:454-6. 2011..Versican stain was increased in male aged skin, but not in female. Age- and gender-related changes in GAGs and PGs in intrinsically aged buttock skin elucidated in this study may play important roles in intrinsic skin ageing process...
- Generation and characterization of a series of monoclonal antibodies that specifically recognize [HexA(+/-2S)-GlcNAc]n epitopes in heparan sulfateKiyoshi Suzuki
Central Research Laboratories, Seikagaku Corporation, 3 1253 Tateno, Higashiyamato, Tokyo, 207 0021, Japan
Glycoconj J 25:703-12. 2008..Furthermore, ACH55 specifically stained Purkinje cells. These results suggest that there is unordinary expression of IdoA2S-GlcNAc and IdoA-GlcNAc in specific parts of the nervous system...
- Finding a needle in a haystack: development of a combinatorial virtual screening approach for identifying high specificity heparin/heparan sulfate sequence(s)Arjun Raghuraman
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Institute for Structural Biology and Drug Discovery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, 23298, USA
J Med Chem 49:3553-62. 2006....
- The anticancer activity of lytic peptides is inhibited by heparan sulfate on the surface of the tumor cellsBodil Fadnes
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
BMC Cancer 9:183. 2009..The purpose of this study was to investigate the role of the two GAGs in the cytotoxic activity of CAPs...
- Role of the putative heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycan-binding site of the adenovirus type 5 fiber shaft on liver detargeting and knob-mediated retargetingNeus Bayo-Puxan
Translational Research Laboratory, IDIBELL Institut Català d Oncologia, Av Gran Via s n km 2 7, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, 08907 Barcelona, Spain
J Gen Virol 87:2487-95. 2006..The insertion of ligands at the hexon or protein IX may be required to benefit from the fiber shaft mutation-detargeting properties...
- Modulatory effects of heparin and short-length oligosaccharides of heparin on the metastasis and growth of LMD MDA-MB 231 breast cancer cells in vivoP Mellor
Breast Cancer Research Group, School of Surgical and Reproductive Sciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Br J Cancer 97:761-8. 2007..001) and area of metastases, suggesting a differing mechanism for the action of polymeric and heparin-derived oligosaccharides in the inhibition of tumour growth and metastases...
- The S100 family heterodimer, MRP-8/14, binds with high affinity to heparin and heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans on endothelial cellsMatthew J Robinson
Leukocyte Adhesion Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund and the in Situ Hybridization Service and Histopathology Unit, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:3658-65. 2002..CD36 and RAGE, two other putative receptors for MRP-8/14, were not expressed by HMEC-1 cells. This binding activity may explain the immobilization of the MRP-8/14 complex on endothelium that is observed in vivo...
- Heparan sulfate regulates amyloid precursor protein processing by BACE1, the Alzheimer's beta-secretaseZoe Scholefield
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
J Cell Biol 163:97-107. 2003..Furthermore, inhibition of cellular HS synthesis results in enhanced BACE1 activity. Our findings identify HS as a natural regulator of BACE1 and suggest a novel mechanism for control of APP processing...
- Heparan sulfate is required for embryonic stem cells to exit from self-renewalDaniel C Kraushaar
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Biol Chem 285:5907-16. 2010....
- Heparan sulfation-dependent fibroblast growth factor signaling maintains embryonic stem cells primed for differentiation in a heterogeneous stateFredrik Lanner
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Stem Cells 28:191-200. 2010..We conclude that N-sulfated HS is required for FGF4 signaling to maintain ES cells primed for differentiation in a heterogeneous state. Inhibiting this pathway facilitates a more naïve ground state...
- Early neurodegeneration progresses independently of microglial activation by heparan sulfate in the brain of mucopolysaccharidosis IIIB miceJérôme Ausseil
Unité Rétrovirus et Transfert Génétique, INSERM U622, Department of Neuroscience, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 3:e2296. 2008..We addressed causative links between the biochemical, pathological and inflammatory disorders in a mouse model of this disease...
- Generation and application of type-specific anti-heparan sulfate antibodies using phage display technology. Further evidence for heparan sulfate heterogeneity in the kidneyT H van Kuppevelt
Department of Biochemistry, 160, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Nijmegen, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 273:12960-6. 1998..This is the first time this technique has been successfully applied to obtain directly antibodies to (poly)saccharides...
- Heparanase involvement in physiology and diseaseN J Nasser
Department of Oncology, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:1706-15. 2008..Heparanase overexpression in a variety of malignant tumors suggests that it could be a target for anti-cancer therapy...
- Cell fusion induced by herpes simplex virus glycoproteins gB, gD, and gH-gL requires a gD receptor but not necessarily heparan sulfateP E Pertel
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, USA
Virology 279:313-24. 2001..Overall, the viral and cellular determinants of HSV-1-induced cell fusion are similar to those for viral entry, except that HSV-1 entry is significantly enhanced by binding of virus to cell surface heparan sulfate...
- Characterization of growth factor-binding structures in heparin/heparan sulfate using an octasaccharide librarySatoko Ashikari-Hada
Institute for Molecular Science of Medicine, Aichi Medical University, Nagakute, Aichi 480 1195, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:12346-54. 2004..Thus, the library may provide new reagents to specifically regulate bindings of the growth factors to HS...
- Heparanase gene silencing, tumor invasiveness, angiogenesis, and metastasisEvgeny Edovitsky
Department of Oncology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:1219-30. 2004..We used gene-silencing strategies to evaluate the role of heparanase in malignancy and to explore the therapeutic potential of its specific targeting...
- A chemotactic gradient sequestered on endothelial heparan sulfate induces directional intraluminal crawling of neutrophilsSara Massena
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Blood 116:1924-31. 2010..In conclusion, an intravascular chemokine gradient sequestered by endothelial HS effectively directs crawling leukocytes toward transmigration loci close to the infection site...
- The putative tumor suppressors EXT1 and EXT2 form a stable complex that accumulates in the Golgi apparatus and catalyzes the synthesis of heparan sulfateC McCormick
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:668-73. 2000..These findings provide a rationale to explain how inherited mutations in either of the two EXT genes can cause loss of activity, resulting in hereditary multiple exostoses...
- Heparan sulfate: anchor for viral intruders?D Spillmann
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, The Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Box 582, 75 123 Uppsala, Sweden
Biochimie 83:811-7. 2001....
- Structural diversity of heparan sulfate binding domains in chemokinesHugues Lortat-Jacob
Institut de Biologie Structurale, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Université Joseph Fourier, Laboratoire de Biophysique Moleculaire, 41 Rue Horowitz, 38027 Grenoble Cedex 01, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:1229-34. 2002..Our results help to rationalize how unique sequences of HS specifically bind any given chemokine. The conclusions open the route for a rational design of compounds of therapeutical interest that could influence chemokine activity...
- Lipoprotein-heparan sulfate interactions in the Hh pathwayChristina Eugster
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Pfotenhauerstrasse 108, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Dev Cell 13:57-71. 2007..They further suggest that the complement of proteins present on lipoprotein particles can regulate the activity of morphogens...
- Heparan sulfate biosynthesis enzymes EXT1 and EXT2 affect NDST1 expression and heparan sulfate sulfationJenny Presto
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Biomedical Center, University of Uppsala, Box 582, SE 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:4751-6. 2008..Increased NDST activity in fibroblasts with a gene trap mutation in EXT1 supports this notion. These results support a model in which the enzymes of HS biosynthesis form a complex, or a GAGosome...
- Heparin-dependent attachment of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) to host cellsT Krusat
Department of Medical Microbiology and Virology, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
Arch Virol 142:1247-54. 1997..Therefore heparin-like proteoglycans showed properties required for attachment of RSV to host cells...
- A simplified and sensitive fluorescent method for disaccharide analysis of both heparan sulfate and chondroitin/dermatan sulfates from biological samplesJon A Deakin
Cancer Research UK Glyco Oncology Group, School of Cancer and Imaging Sciences, University of Manchester, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester M20 4BX, UK
Glycobiology 18:483-91. 2008..This simplified method should find a widespread utility for analyzing glycosaminoglycans from limited animal and cell culture samples...
- Role for 3-O-sulfated heparan sulfate as the receptor for herpes simplex virus type 1 entry into primary human corneal fibroblastsVaibhav Tiwari
University of Illinois at Chicago, Lions of Illinois Eye Research Institute, M C 648, 1855 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Virol 80:8970-80. 2006..Taken together, the data in this report provide novel information on the role of 3-OS HS in mediating infection of CF, a natural target cell type...
- Human herpesvirus 8 envelope-associated glycoprotein B interacts with heparan sulfate-like moietiesS M Akula
Department of Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology, The University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Virology 284:235-49. 2001..These results suggest that gB plays an important role in the infectious process of HHV-8 and virus interaction with cell-surface HS-like moieties could be in part mediated by the envelope-associated gB...
- Mouse model of Sanfilippo syndrome type B produced by targeted disruption of the gene encoding alpha-N-acetylglucosaminidaseH H Li
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:14505-10. 1999....
- Syndecan-1 and -4 synthesized simultaneously by mouse mammary gland epithelial cells bear heparan sulfate chains that are apparently structurally indistinguishableMasahiro Zako
Division of Newborn Medicine, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 278:13561-9. 2003....
- Highly sulfated nonreducing end-derived heparan sulfate domains bind fibroblast growth factor-2 with high affinity and are enriched in biologically active fractionsHicham Naimy
Department of Biochemistry, Center for Biomedical Mass Spectrometry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Biol Chem 286:19311-9. 2011..The results suggest a role of the NRE of HS in FGF2 signaling and favor the formation of the symmetrical architecture on short NS domains...
- Interaction of Chlamydia trachomatis with mammalian cells is independent of host cell surface heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycansRichard S Stephens
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Public Health, 140 Earl Warren Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Infect Immun 74:1795-9. 2006..These data do not support the hypothesis and demonstrate that host cell surface heparan sulfate does not serve an essential functional role in chlamydial infectivity...
- Human papillomavirus type 31b infection of human keratinocytes does not require heparan sulfateNicole A Patterson
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
J Virol 79:6838-47. 2005..These data suggest that HPV31b infection of human keratinocytes, the natural host cell for HPV infections in vivo, does not require a heparan-sulfonated receptor, whereas heparan sulfate is important for infection of some other cells...
- Preactivation-based, one-pot combinatorial synthesis of heparin-like hexasaccharides for the analysis of heparin-protein interactionsZhen Wang
Department of Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Chemistry 16:8365-75. 2010..This provides useful information for further development of more potent compounds towards FGF-2 binding, which can have potential applications in wound healing and anticancer therapy...
- Heparanase 2 interacts with heparan sulfate with high affinity and inhibits heparanase activityFlonia Levy-Adam
Cancer and Vascular Biology Research Center, Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa 31096, Israel
J Biol Chem 285:28010-9. 2010..03). Hpa2 appears to restrain tumor metastasis, likely by attenuating heparanase enzymatic activity, conferring a favorable outcome of head and neck cancer patients...
- Heparanase is expressed in osteoblastic cells and stimulates bone formation and bone massVardit Kram
Bone Laboratory, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
J Cell Physiol 207:784-92. 2006..Collectively, our data suggest that proteoglycans tonically suppress osteoblast function and that this inhibition is alleviated by HS degradation with heparanase...
- Molecular genetics of mucopolysaccharidosis type IIIA and IIIB: Diagnostic, clinical, and biological implicationsG Yogalingam
Lysosomal Diseases Research Unit, Department of Chemical Pathology, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Hum Mutat 18:264-81. 2001..However, molecular characterization of MPS-IIIA patients has revealed a high incidence of particular mutations of different geographical origins, which will be beneficial for the molecular diagnosis of MPS-IIIA...
- N-sulfation of heparan sulfate regulates early branching events in the developing mammary glandKevin T Bush
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 287:42064-70. 2012..Together with previous work, the data indicate that different stages of ductal branching and lobuloalveolar formation are regulated by distinct sets of heparan sulfate biosynthetic enzymes in an appropriate growth factor context...
- Inhibitory peptides of the sulfotransferase domain of the heparan sulfate enzyme, N-deacetylase-N-sulfotransferase-1Tarsis F Gesteira
Departamentos de Bioquímica, Universidade Federal de Sa o Paulo, 04044 020 Sa o Paulo, Brazil
J Biol Chem 286:5338-46. 2011..The discovery of inhibitory peptides in this way suggests a method for developing peptide inhibitors of heparan sulfate biosynthesis...
- Normal levels of anticoagulant heparan sulfate are not essential for normal hemostasisSassan HajMohammadi
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
J Clin Invest 111:989-99. 2003..Instead, 3-OST-1-deficient mice exhibited unanticipated phenotypes suggesting that HS(act) or additional 3-OST-1-derived structures may serve alternate biologic roles...
- Chondroitin sulfate characterized by the E-disaccharide unit is a potent inhibitor of herpes simplex virus infectivity and provides the virus binding sites on gro2C cellsKicki Bergefall
Department of Clinical Virology, Goteborg University, Sweden
J Biol Chem 280:32193-9. 2005..Knowledge of the determinants of antiviral properties of CS-E will help in the development of inhibitors of herpes simplex virus infections in humans...
- Portable sulphotransferase domain determines sequence specificity of heparan sulphate 3-O-sulphotransferasesT Yabe
Angiogenesis Research Center, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Biochem J 359:235-41. 2001..Thus sequence-specific properties of 3-OSTs are defined by a self-contained sulphotransferase domain and are not directly influenced by the divergent N-terminal region...
- Enzyme interactions in heparan sulfate biosynthesis: uronosyl 5-epimerase and 2-O-sulfotransferase interact in vivoM A Pinhal
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Glycobiology Research and Training Center, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0687, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:12984-9. 2001..These findings provide in vivo evidence for the formation of complexes among enzymes involved in heparan sulfate biosynthesis. The functional significance of these complexes may relate to the rapidity of heparan sulfate formation...
- Tinkering with heparan sulfate sulfation to steer developmentBushra Gorsi
Division of Cardiac and Endocrine Sciences, University of Manchester, UK, M13 9NT
Trends Cell Biol 17:173-7. 2007..In addition, the latest discovery of HS acting enzymes, the Sulfs, responsible for extracellular tweaking of HS sulfation levels subsequent to biosynthesis will be considered...
- Endogenous heparan sulfate and heparin modulate bone morphogenetic protein-4 signaling and activityShaukat A Khan
Hematology and Oncology Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 294:C1387-97. 2008....
- Direct visualization of specifically modified extracellular glycans in living animalsMatthew Attreed
Department of Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Nat Methods 9:477-9. 2012..This experimental approach reveals a dynamic and cell-specific heparan sulfate landscape and could in principle be adapted to visualize and analyze any extracellular molecule in vivo...
- Cell entry and trafficking of human adenovirus bound to blood factor X is determined by the fiber serotype and not hexon:heparan sulfate interactionStephanie Corjon
University Lyon 1, Inra UMR 754, Retrovirus and Comparative Pathology, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 6:e18205. 2011....
- A role for 3-O-sulfated heparan sulfate in cell fusion induced by herpes simplex virus type 1Vaibhav Tiwari
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Gen Virol 85:805-9. 2004..Taken together, these results indicate that 3-OS HS can play a crucial role in virus entry and cell fusion...
- Transforming growth factor-beta1 induces heparan sulfate 6-O-endosulfatase 1 expression in vitro and in vivoXinping Yue
Section of Pulmonary Diseases, Critical Care and Environmental Medicine, Department of Medicine, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Biol Chem 283:20397-407. 2008..Taken together, our data indicate that Sulf1 is a TGF-beta1-responsive gene both in vitro and in vivo and may function as a negative regulator of TGF-beta1-induced fibrogenesis...
- Molecular modeling of the interaction between heparan sulfate and cellular growth factors: bringing pieces togetherNicolas Sapay
Centre de Recherches sur les Macromolecules Vegetales CNRS, 601 rue de la Chimie, BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Glycobiology 21:1181-93. 2011..This approach shed light on the plasticity of the growth factors interacting with heparan sulfate. This approach can be extended to the study of other protein/glycosaminoglycan complexes...
- Lack of heparan sulfate expression in B-cell lines: implications for Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus and murine gammaherpesvirus 68 infectionsNadine Jarousse
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, 142 Life Sciences Addition, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Virol 82:12591-7. 2008..Thus, our results indicate that MHV68 and KSHV cycles are blocked in B-cell lines at the binding step due to a lack of surface HS...
- Sustained release and osteogenic potential of heparan sulfate-doped fibrin glue scaffolds within a rat cranial modelMaria Ann Woodruff
Division of Bioengineering, Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
J Mol Histol 38:425-33. 2007..These results further emphasize the important role HS plays in augmenting wound healing, and its successful delivery in a hydrogel provides a novel alternative to autologous bone graft and growth factor-based therapies...
- Heparin, heparan sulfate and heparanase in cancer: remedy for metastasis?Jin ping Li
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, The Biomedical Center, Box 582, S 75123, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Anticancer Agents Med Chem 8:64-76. 2008..Understanding the functional roles and the corresponding molecular mechanisms of heparin, heparan sulfate and heparanase in cancer development may pave the way for exploring remedies against tumor metastasis...
- The 3'-phosphoadenosine 5'-phosphosulfate transporters, PAPST1 and 2, contribute to the maintenance and differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cellsNorihiko Sasaki
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Department of Bioinformatics, Faculty of Engineering, Soka University, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 4:e8262. 2009..We propose that PAPST-dependent sulfation of HS or CS chains, which is regulated developmentally, regulates the extrinsic signaling required for the maintenance and normal differentiation of mESCs...
- Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases 1 and 2 exhibit broad-spectrum proteolytic capacities comparable to many matrix metalloproteinasesM P d'Ortho
INSERM U296, Faculte de Medecine, Creteil, France
Eur J Biochem 250:751-7. 1997..Their location at the surface of cells implies that they could play a significant role in the modulation of cell-matrix interactions...
- Possible existence of common internalization mechanisms among arginine-rich peptidesTomoki Suzuki
Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:2437-43. 2002..These results strongly suggest that the arginine-rich basic peptides share a certain part of the internalization pathway...
- Composition of the endothelial glycocalyx and its relation to its thickness and diffusion of small solutesLujia Gao
Department of Bioengineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Microvasc Res 80:394-401. 2010..This behavior suggests that the removal of heparan sulfate may cause a collapse of the glycocalyx which counters decreases in thickness by compacting the layer to maintain a constant resistance to filtration...
- Validation of a heparan sulfate-derived disaccharide as a marker of accumulation in murine mucopolysaccharidosis type IIIABarbara King
Lysosomal Diseases Research Unit, Department of Genetic Medicine, Children, Youth and Women s Health Service, 72 King William Road, North Adelaide SA, Australia
Mol Genet Metab 87:107-12. 2006..This finding therefore provides evidence for the use of the disaccharide HNS-UA to monitor the effect of therapies for this condition in humans, when treatment strategies are devised...
- Glycosaminoglycans as regulators of stem cell differentiationRaymond A A Smith
Stem Cell Glycobiology Group, Materials Science, University of Manchester, Manchester, M1 7HS, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 39:383-7. 2011..We predict that this will allow us to control ES cell pluripotency and differentiation in a three-dimensional setting, allowing the generation of differentiated cell types for use in drug discovery/testing or in therapeutics...
- Selective filtering of particles by the extracellular matrix: an electrostatic bandpassOliver Lieleg
Lehrstuhl für Zellbiophysik E27, Technische Universitat Munchen, Garching, Germany
Biophys J 97:1569-77. 2009..g., the mucus layer of endothelial cells or the hydrogel in the nuclear core complex...
- Comparable stabilisation, structural changes and activities can be induced in FGF by a variety of HS and non-GAG analogues: implications for sequence-activity relationshipsTimothy R Rudd
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 7ZB, Great Britain
Org Biomol Chem 8:5390-7. 2010....
- Structure and epitope distribution of heparan sulfate is disrupted in experimental lung hypoplasia: a glycobiological epigenetic cause for malformation?Sophie M Thompson
Institute of Integrative Biology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
BMC Dev Biol 11:38. 2011....
- Mucopolysaccharidosis type I, unique structure of accumulated heparan sulfate and increased N-sulfotransferase activity in mice lacking α-l-iduronidaseRebecca J Holley
Stem Cell Glycobiology, School of Materials, The University of Manchester, M13 9PL Manchester, UK
J Biol Chem 286:37515-24. 2011..This mechanism may have severe implications during disease progression but, now identified, could help direct improved therapeutic strategies...
- Dual role of the fringe connection gene in both heparan sulphate and fringe-dependent signalling eventsE M Selva
Department of Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Nat Cell Biol 3:809-15. 2001..Embryos with the frc mutation display defects in Wingless, Hedgehog and fibroblast growth factor signalling. Clonal analysis shows that fringe-dependent Notch signalling is disrupted in frc mutant tissue...
- Heterogeneity of heparan sulfates in human lungNicole C Smits
Department of Biochemistry, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen Center for Molecular Life Sciences, Nijmegen, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 30:166-73. 2004..Taken together, these data suggest a specific role for HS epitopes in human lung. The antibodies obtained may be valuable tools to study HS in pulmonary diseases...
- The Glycocalyx and Endothelial Barrier RegulationRANDAL DULL; Fiscal Year: 2005..This K08 will provide the foundation for a research career dedicated to understanding the molecular mechanisms of endothelial barrier regulation. ..
- Strategy for Therapy of the Pseudoachondroplasia (PSACH) Phenotype: UnderstandingJacqueline Hecht; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Correction of neural abnormalities in Hurler syndromePankaj Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Correction of Hurler syndrome by multipotent stem cellsPankaj Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2007..If MAPC transplantation is of benefit in the Hurler model, similar strategies may be developed for treating diverse neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- PATHOBIOCHEMISTRY OF PROTEOGLYCANS IN DEVELOPMENTScott Saunders; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Studies of Clubfoot (ITEV)Jacqueline T Hecht; Fiscal Year: 2010..Identification of high-risk genotypes can lead to the development of prevention programs in selected populations and may suggest gene-based prevention strategies. ..
- Microenvironment Modulates HIV Replication in MacrophagePhilippe Gallay; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOLOGY OF BAMACAN IN TUMORIGENESISGiancarlo Ghiselli; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) The contribution of bamacan in vivo to colon tumorigenesis by generating transgenic mice over-expressing bamacan in the intestinal epithelium. ..
- 2006 Proteoglycans Gordon Research ConferencesALAN RAPRAEGER; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Heparan sulfate in neural developmentYu Yamaguchi; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will perform histological, cell biological, and physiological analyses to determine the physiological role of HS in CNS synapses. ..
- Oligosaccharides Regulating Cell FunctionRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2006..This grant application represents a high risk/high reward undertaking aimed at developing LMP as an effective treatment for of debilitating diseases caused by the deregulation of apoptosis, such as cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Structural Specificity of Heparan Sulfate for Herpes InfectionsJIAN NONE LIU; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our results could lead to a novel approach to treat herpes simplex virus infections and improve the basic understanding on the biosynthesis of HS with specific sulfonation patterns. ..
- MICROBIOLOGY OF CHLAMYDIA TRACHOMATIS ATTACHMENTRichard Stephens; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Molecular Principles of FGF-HSGAG InteractionsRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Proteolytic cleavage of the Hendra virus fusion proteinREBECCA DUTCH; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Inter-alpha Inhibitors in Anthrax IntoxicationSteven Opal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our research is focused on the development of a new and safe treatment based on the ability of inter-alpha proteins to prevent the fatal consequences of anthrax infection. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CCNY/MSKCC BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING PARTNERSHIPJOHN TARBELL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ENZYMATIC DEGRADATION OF GLYCOSAMINOGLYCANSRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2010..We believe that our study would truly accelerate the progress of understanding GAG-structure-function relationships in fundamental biological processes-a research area that is gaining increasing importance. ..
- SHEAR STRESS EFFECTS ON ENDOTHELIAL TRANSPORTJohn M Tarbell; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Structure of Chlamydia-Specific Host Cell VacuolesRichard S Stephens; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research will establish the mechanism of microbial survival in cells that will serve as targets for prevention and control of chlamydial infection. ..
- Regulation of angiogenesis by syndecan-1ALAN RAPRAEGER; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Glycoside Inhibitors of Tumor MetastasisJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2009..Solid tumor formation and inflammatory reactions will be analyzed to confirm the selective inhibitory action of the analog on tumor metastasis. ..
- HMPV Fusion protein-host cell interactionsREBECCA DUTCH; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research will address significant questions concerning the cellular factors which interact with the HMPV fusion protein to facilitate attachment of the virus and entry into cells. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PROTEOGLYCANS OF THE PLASMA MEMBRANEALAN RAPRAEGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..We anticipate that completion of these studies will provide new and unexpected insights into the function of this receptor, and will lead to the development of new cancer treatments. ..
- Growth Factors in Vascular BiologyMATTHEW NUGENT; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will have wide ranging impact on vascular biology and will likely reveal previously undefined mechanisms of growth factor control that could help identify targets for clinical modulation. ..
- Structure-Activity Relationships of LMWHsRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2008..anti-Xa and anti-IIa and their pharmacokinetic in vivo elimination ..
- Design of Gene Delivery System to Target HepatocytesMark Davis; Fiscal Year: 2008..The long-term objective of our proposal is to design and engineer a generalized, synthetic system for ultimately delivering nucleic acid-based therapeutics to hepatocytes in humans. ..
- Syndecan Agonists and Antagonists as MicrobicidesPhilippe Gallay; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, microbicides targeting gp120-syndecan interactions will exhibit a broad inhibitory spectrum against sexually transmitted pathogens. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans and HIV PathogenesisPhilippe Gallay; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Database for Glycan StructuresRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2005..This forms the framework for the present STTR grant application as a fast-track Phases I and II grant application that is highly integrated towards addressing the requirements of the glycomics field. ..
- Cellular Microbiology of Chlamydia pneumoniaeRichard Stephens; Fiscal Year: 2005..pneumoniae during persistent infection and during growth in different cell types. 4) Identify chlamydial products and test persistently-expressed C. pneumoniae gene products for their ability to induce host cell responses. ..
- LASER DOPPLER VELOCIMETER SYSTEM FOR BIOMEDICAL STUDIESJOHN TARBELL; Fiscal Year: 2001..The system will be the primary measurement system for the ongoing research in cardiovascular prosthetics including mechanical heart valve cavitation and ventricular assist devices. ..
- PROTEOGLYCANS AND BRAIN DEVELOPMENTARTHUR LANDER; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies should provide insights into how an important and poorly understood class of molecules regulates basic developmental processes, particularly in the nervous system. ..
- A POXVIRAL PROTEIN THAT INHIBITS CHEMOKINE FUNCTIONMitchell Krathwohl; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) To determine the regions of MC148R that are important for blocking chemotaxis by constructing mutant proteins at both the amino terminus and the internal heparin binding site. ..
- HEPARIN-BINDING PEPTIDES FROM CELL ADHESION PROTEINSDALLAS RABENSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..These objectives will be achieved using information obtained from high field nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy experiments. ..
- PROTEOGLYCANS OF THE PLASMA MEMBRANEALAN RAPRAEGER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results will lead to a better understanding of epithelial morphogenesis and to the mechanisms that regulate tumor cell metastasis and invasion. ..
- Collagen-binding proteins in softening of uterine cervixRobert Kokenyesi; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- CHARACTERIZATION OF FRACTALKINE IN VITRO AND IN VIVOLili Feng; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- RETROGRADE SIGNALING IN NERVE TERMINAL FORMATIONHSIAO MING PENG; Fiscal Year: 2002..The principles garnered from this study should lead to a better understanding of the causes of these maladies. ..
- BRAIN EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX--ROLES IN NEURAL FUNCTION ANDYu Yamaguchi; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- STERIC-STABILIZED LIPOSOMES FOR SYSTEMIC GENE DELIVERYKENNETH LONGMUIR; Fiscal Year: 2002..2) Gene expression, pharmokinetics, and biodistribution will be assessed for prolonged circulation times. 3) Organ tissues will be examined histologically to assess gene expression in cell types outside the vasculature. ..
- GORDON RESEARCH CONFERENCE ON PROTEOGLYCANSARTHUR LANDER; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF GLYPICANS IN BRAIN DEVELOPMENTYu Yamaguchi; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies not only provide new insight into the mechanism of neurogenesis but may shed light on the pathogenesis of congenital brain malformations that may derive from defective proliferation of neural precursor cells. ..
- Heparin like Glycosaminoglycan OligosaccharidesRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2004..Similar technologies for DNA and proteins include things like gene chips that have revolutionized the study of these molecules. We hope advancements, like out technology, will do the same thing for HLGAGs. ..
- INTL CONG OF VIROLOGY, SAN FRANCISCO, ASV TRAVEL REQUESTPATRICIA SPEAR; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Role of Heparan Sulfate in FGF ActionALAN RAPRAEGER; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long term outcome of this work will be left the derivation of chemical mimetics that can be used as therapeutics in the treatment of cancer and the prevention of birth defects. ..
- Role of hyaluronan in developing and adult CNSYu Yamaguchi; Fiscal Year: 2005..The insight derived from these studies could lead to the development of hyaluronan based therapeutic approaches for neurodegenerative and demyelinating diseases. ..
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARD IN CEREBROVASCULAR RESEARCHLarry Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- FMRI in Pre-Symptomatic PS1-related Alzheimer's DiseaseJohn Ringman; Fiscal Year: 2005..UCI, with its strong dementia research program, growing MRI capabilities and opportunity to collaborate at the nearby UCLA Brain Imaging Center, is an excellent environment for this endeavor. ..
- Treatment of Hyperglycemia Ischemic Stroke(THIS)TrialAskiel Bruno; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additional measurements will include vital signs, serum electrolytes, hemoglobin A-1C, and a global test for multiple clinical outcomes at 3 months. ..
- OPTIMIZING MANAGEMENT OF TRANSIENT ISCHEMIC ATTACKSS Johnston; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research will provide important results for clinicians and policy makers, and will foster the applicant's development as a health services researcher in cerebrovascular disease. ..
- Inhibitors of HIV-Dendritic Cell Interactions as MicrobicidesPhilippe Gallay; Fiscal Year: 2008..This approach may not only provide valuable novel microbicides, but it will also allow us to assess the contribution of LC and DC to HIV transmission. ..
- Role of heparanase in osteolytic bone metastasisRalph Sanderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- CELLULAR MECHANISM OF DIABETIC NEPHROPATHYLili Feng; Fiscal Year: 2004..Insights gained in the proposed studies will lead to the development of new therapeutic strategies to this life-threatening disease. ..
- Herpes simplex virus receptors and signal transductionPATRICIA SPEAR; Fiscal Year: 2003..The studies described in this proposal are distinct from those supported by the parent grant but address questions that arise from findings made in the parent project. ..
- ENTRY OF HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS INTO CELLSPATRICIA SPEAR; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Bioengineering for In Vivo-Viral Gene DeliveryKENNETH LONGMUIR; Fiscal Year: 2007..The development of this technology will have broad implications for the controlled self-assembly of a wide range of nanoparticle systems, particularly those intended for in vivo drug delivery. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SYNDECAN FUNCTION ON MYELOMA CELLSRalph Sanderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Insight gained from these studies will be used to design new therapeutic strategies aimed at halting tumor growth and metastasis. ..
- An Artificial Golgi: Controlled GAG Synthesis and ScreeningROBERT J contact LINHARDT; Fiscal Year: 2010..This artificial Golgi uses a digital microfluidic platform for synthesis and screen activity on a cell microarray to develop a structure activity relationship for fibroblast growth factor signaling. ..
- Mechanisms of Nucleic Acid Uptake and The Role of cMDHBasil Hanss; Fiscal Year: 2008..2) To determine the functional role of cytosolic malatedehydrogenase in nucleic acid transport; 3) To establish the topology of cMDH relative to plasma membrane. ..
- Glycosaminoglycan-Protein InteractionsRobert Linhardt; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Heparin Glycan Microarray for ScreeningRobert Linhardt; Fiscal Year: 2008..A phase II proposal will be prepared to develop these commercial applications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Innate immune evasion and/or antagonism by eastern equine encephalitis virusKATHERINE RYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..