Genomes and Genes
Summary: An unbranched glucan in starch.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- From bacterial glycogen to starch: understanding the biogenesis of the plant starch granuleSteven G Ball
Laboratoire de Chimie Biologique, UMR 8576 du CNRS, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, Bâtiment C9 Cité Scientifique, France
Annu Rev Plant Biol 54:207-33. 2003..However, according to the genetic and physiological system under study, these enzymes may have acquired distinctive roles...
- Resistant starch from high-amylose maize increases insulin sensitivity in overweight and obese menKevin C Maki
Provident Clinical Research and Consulting, Inc, Glen Ellyn, IL, USA
J Nutr 142:717-23. 2012This study evaluated the effects of 2 levels of intake of high-amylose maize type 2 resistant starch (HAM-RS2) on insulin sensitivity (S(I)) in participants with waist circumference ≥89 (women) or ≥102 cm (men)...
- Myeloid cells are tunable by a polyanionic polysaccharide derivative and co-determine host rescue from lethal virus infectionSandra Li
Rega Institute for Medical Research, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 10, Leuven, Belgium
J Leukoc Biol 88:1017-29. 2010..These findings reinforce the role of neutrophils and macrophages as critical cells that can be manipulated toward antiviral defense...
- Glycosaminoglycan mimicry by COAM reduces melanoma growth through chemokine induction and functionHelene Piccard
Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Belgium
Int J Cancer 131:E425-36. 2012..Thus, COAM constitutes a novel tool to study the role of innate immune cells in the initial stages of tumor development and an example that innate immunostimulating glycosaminoglycan mimicry may be exploited therapeutically...
- Phosphorylase coupling as a tool to convert cellobiose into amyloseKohji Ohdan
Biochemical Research Laboratory of Ezaki Glico Co Ltd, 4 6 5 Utajima, Nishiyodogawa ku, Osaka 555 8502, Japan
J Biotechnol 127:496-502. 2007This work aims to establish the enzymatic process to produce amylose from cellobiose...
- Concerted suppression of all starch branching enzyme genes in barley produces amylose-only starch granulesMassimiliano Carciofi
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
BMC Plant Biol 12:223. 2012Starch is stored in higher plants as granules composed of semi-crystalline amylopectin and amorphous amylose. Starch granules provide energy for the plant during dark periods and for germination of seeds and tubers...
- The diurnal metabolism of leaf starchSamuel C Zeeman
Institute of Plant Sciences, ETH Zurich, Universitatstrasse 2, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Biochem J 401:13-28. 2007..In the present review we provide an overview of starch biosynthesis, starch structure and starch degradation in the leaves of plants. We focus on recent advances in each area and highlight outstanding questions...
- Effects of high amylose maize starch and Clostridium butyricum on metabolism in colonic microbiota and formation of azoxymethane-induced aberrant crypt foci in the rat colonShuusuke Nakanishi
Department of Molecular Bacteriology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 47:951-8. 2003High amylose maize starch (HAS) is not digested in the small intestine and most of it reaches the large intestine...
- The amylose extender mutant of maize conditions novel protein-protein interactions between starch biosynthetic enzymes in amyloplastsFushan Liu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, College of Biological Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada
J Exp Bot 60:4423-40. 2009The amylose extender (ae(-)) mutant of maize lacks starch branching enzyme IIb (SBEIIb) activity, resulting in amylopectin with reduced branch point frequency, and longer glucan chains...
- Elastic properties of single amylose chains in water: a quantum mechanical and AFM studyZhenyu Lu
Department of Chemistry, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:9033-41. 2004..tight binding (SCC-DFTB) method, to unravel the mechanism of the extensibility of the polysaccharide amylose, which in water displays particularly large deviations from the simple entropic elasticity...
- Starch with high amylose content and low in vitro digestibility increases intestinal nutrient flow and microbial fermentation and selectively promotes bifidobacteria in pigsPrajwal R Regmi
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2P5, Canada
J Nutr 141:1273-80. 2011..Eight ileal-cannulated pigs (29.4 ± 0.9 kg body weight) were fed 4 diets containing 70% purified starch (amylose content, <5, 20, 28, and 63%; reflected by in vitro maximal digestion rate; 1.06, 0.73, 0.38, and 0...
- Virus entry inhibition by chlorite-oxidized oxyamylose versus induction of antiviral interferon by poly(I:C)Sandra Li
Laboratory of Immunobiology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Biochem Pharmacol 76:831-40. 2008..These results suggest that COAM can alter the outcome of infection, not by IFN induction and in turn modifying the cellular antiviral state, but through inhibition of virus entry into cells...
- High-amylose rice improves indices of animal health in normal and diabetic ratsLijia Zhu
Key Laboratory of Plant Functional Genomics of the Ministry of Education, Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Crop Genetics and Physiology, College of Agriculture, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou, China
Plant Biotechnol J 10:353-62. 2012A high-amylose rice with 64.8% amylose content (AC) was developed by transgenic inhibition of two isoforms of starch branching enzyme (SBE), SBEI and SBEIIb, in an indica rice cultivar...
- Cross-linked high amylose starch derivatives as matrices for controlled release of high drug loadingsJ Mulhbacher
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, , C.P. 8888, Succ. A, , , Canada
J Control Release 76:51-8. 2001..Three types of derivatives were synthesized from cross-linked high amylose starch (HASCL-6) by substitution of hydroxylic groups with cationic (carboxymethyl: CM), anionic (aminoethyl: AE) ..
- Metabolic and transcriptomic responses of weaned pigs induced by different dietary amylose and amylopectin ratioHe Jun
Institute of Animal Nutrition, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an, Sichuan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 5:e15110. 2010..However, the nutritional value of starch largely depends on its amylose and amylopectin ratio...
- Both binding sites of the starch-binding domain of Aspergillus niger glucoamylase are essential for inducing a conformational change in amyloseT Giardina
Nutrition, Health and Consumer Science Division, Institute of Food Research, Colney, Norwich, UK
J Mol Biol 313:1149-59. 2001..are almost but not totally independent of each other for binding, since abolishing one site does not prevent the amylose chain binding to the other site...
- Field testing and exploitation of genetically modified cassava with low-amylose or amylose-free starch in IndonesiaH J J Koehorst-van Putten
Wageningen UR Plant Breeding, Wageningen University and Research Center, Droevendaalsesteeg 1, 6708 PB, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Transgenic Res 21:39-50. 2012..We here report on the results of production and field testing of genetically modified low-amylose transformants of commercial cassava variety Adira4 in Indonesia...
- Comparative effects of a high-amylose starch and a fructooligosaccharide on fecal bifidobacteria numbers and short-chain fatty acids in pigs fed Bifidobacterium animalisAnthony R Bird
Co operative Research Centre for Food Industry Innovation, CSIRO Human Nutrition, Kintore Avenue, P O Box 10041, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Dig Dis Sci 54:947-54. 2009Pigs were fed a freeze-dried probiotic (Bifidobacterium animalis CSCC 1941) plus a high-amylose maize starch (HAMS) and a fructooligosaccharide (FOS) separately or together...
- Circular permutation of the starch-binding domain: inversion of ligand selectivity with increased affinityPreyesh Stephen
Institute of Bioinformatics and Structural Biology, National Tsing Hua University, No 101, Sec 2, Kuang Fu Rd, Hsinchu, 30013, Taiwan ROC
Chem Commun (Camb) 48:2612-4. 2012....
- Solubilization of single-wall carbon nanotubes by supramolecular encapsulation of helical amyloseOh Kil Kim
Chemistry Division, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 20375 5342, USA
J Am Chem Soc 125:4426-7. 2003We have developed a simple, efficient process for solubilization of single-wall carbon nanotubes (SWNTs) with amylose in aqueous DMSO...
- Increasing the amylose content of durum wheat through silencing of the SBEIIa genesFrancesco Sestili
Department of Agrobiology and Agrochemistry, University of Tuscia, Viterbo, Italy
BMC Plant Biol 10:144. 2010High amylose starch has attracted particular interest because of its correlation with the amount of Resistant Starch (RS) in food...
- Plasma glucose and insulin reduction after consumption of breads varying in amylose contentK M Behall
Diet and Human Performance Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:913-20. 2002Consumption of a meal high in amylose starch (70%) decreases peak insulin and glucose levels and area under the curve (AUC)...
- Wholegrain foods made from a novel high-amylose barley variety (Himalaya 292) improve indices of bowel health in human subjectsAnthony R Bird
CSIRO Human Nutrition, Adelaide, Australia
Br J Nutr 99:1032-40. 2008..variety lacking activity of a key enzyme of starch synthesis giving a grain containing less total starch, more amylose and higher total dietary fibre...
- Comparison of starch branching enzyme I and II from potatoU Rydberg
Department of Plant Biology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 268:6140-5. 2001..With the starch-iodine method, it was found that SBE I was more active than SBE II on an amylose substrate, whereas SBE II was more active than SBE I on an amylopectin substrate...
- Synthesis of amylose-polystyrene inclusion complexes by a facile preparation routeKamlesh Kumar
Department of Polymer Chemistry, Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 4, 9747 AG, Groningen, The Netherlands
Biomacromolecules 14:1955-60. 2013The formation of amylose-polystyrene inclusion complexes via a novel two-step approach is described. In the first-step, styrene was inserted inside the amylose helical cavity, followed by free radical polymerization in the second step...
- The hypocholesterolemic effect of high amylose cornstarch in rats is mediated by an enlarged bile acid pool and increased fecal bile acid excretion, not by cecal fermented productsTaro Kishida
Department of Biological Resources, Faculty of Agriculture, Ehime University, Matsuyama 790 8566, Japan
J Nutr 132:2519-24. 2002..were fed for 21 d a cholesterol-free purified diet containing (200 g/kg) either normal cornstarch (CS) or high amylose cornstarch (HACS)...
- Enzymatic synthesis and properties of highly branched rice starch amylose and amylopectin clusterChang Kyu Lee
Center for Agricultural Biomaterials and Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, Gwanak Gu, Seoul, Korea
J Agric Food Chem 56:126-31. 2008We enzymatically modified rice starch to produce highly branched amylopectin and amylose and analyzed the resulting structural changes...
- Surface composition and morphology of starch, amylose, and amylopectin filmsAsa Rindlav-Westling
Biopolymer Technology, Department of Material and Surface Chemistry, Chalmers University of Technology, SE 412 96 Goteborg, Sweden
Biomacromolecules 4:166-72. 2003The surfaces of solution-cast films of starch, amylose, and amylopectin were examined with scanning electron microscopy (SEM), atomic force microscopy (AFM), electron spectroscopy for chemical analysis (ESCA), and time-of-flight ..
- Polymorphism in the barley granule bound starch synthase 1 (gbss1) gene associated with grain starch variant amylose concentrationEric K Asare
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, 51 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5A8, Canada
J Agric Food Chem 60:10082-92. 2012..genotypes producing amylose-free (undetectable), near-waxy (1.6-4.5%), normal (25.8%), and increased (38.0-40.8%) amylose grain starches...
- Modeling a system of phosphated cross-linked high amylose for controlled drug release. Part 2: physical parameters, cross-linking degrees and drug delivery relationshipsB S F Cury
Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Department of Drugs and Pharmaceuticals, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sao Paulo State University, UNESP, Rod Araraquara Jaú, km 1, CEP14801 902, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
Int J Pharm 371:8-15. 2009High amylose cross-linked to different degrees with sodium trimetaphosphate by varying base strength (2% or 4%) and contact time (0.5-4h) was evaluated as non-compacted systems for sodium diclophenac controlled release...
- Bacillus stearothermophilus neopullulanase selective hydrolysis of amylose to maltose in the presence of amylopectinHiroshi Kamasaka
Biochemical Research Laboratory, Ezaki Glico Co, Ltd, Nishiyodogawa ku, Osaka 555 8502, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:1658-64. 2002The specificity of Bacillus stearothermophilus TRS40 neopullulanase toward amylose and amylopectin was analyzed...
- Different isoforms of starch-synthesizing enzymes controlling amylose and amylopectin content in rice (Oryza sativa L.)Manish K Pandey
Crop Improvement Section, Directorate of Rice Research DRR, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad 500030, India
Biotechnol Adv 30:1697-706. 2012Starch, composed of amylose and amylopectin, greatly influences rice cooking and textural quality, which in turn is controlled by various isoforms of several enzymes...
- DFT conformation and energies of amylose fragments at atomic resolution. Part 2: 'Band-flip' and 'kink' forms of alpha-maltotetraoseUdo Schnupf
Plant Polymer Research, USDA, dagger ARS, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, 1815 N University St, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Carbohydr Res 344:374-83. 2009..Recent experimental X-ray studies have found examples of amylose fragments with conformations distorted from the usual syn forms, and it was of interest to examine these novel ..
- Amylose folding under the influence of lipidsCesar A Lopez
Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute and Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 7, 9747 AG Groningen, The Netherlands
Carbohydr Res 364:1-7. 2012The molecular dynamics simulation technique was used to study the folding and complexation process of a short amylose fragment in the presence of lipids. In aqueous solution, the amylose chain remains as an extended left-handed helix...
- Butyrylated starch is less susceptible to enzymic hydrolysis and increases large-bowel butyrate more than high-amylose maize starch in the ratBalazs H Bajka
CSIRO Human Nutrition, Adelaide BC 5000, Australia
Br J Nutr 96:276-82. 2006..High-amylose maize starch (HAMS) and acylated starches are sources of resistant starch and are an effective means of ..
- Modification of rice starch by selective degradation of amylose using alkalophilic Bacillus cyclomaltodextrinaseJoong Hyuck Auh
Center for Agricultural Biomaterials and Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Korea
J Agric Food Chem 54:2314-9. 2006..An analysis of the hydrolysis reaction of the enzyme revealed that its kcat/Km value on amylose was 14.6 s(-1) (mg/mL)(-1), whereas that for amylopectin was 0...
- Stable inheritance of the antisense Waxy gene in transgenic rice with reduced amylose level and improved qualityQiaoquan Liu
College of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Yangzhou University, 12 Wenhui Road, Yangzhou 225009, China
Transgenic Res 12:71-82. 2003b>Amylose content in rice endosperm is a key determinant of eating and cooking quality...
- Chemical profile, rumen degradation kinetics, and energy value of four hull-less barley cultivars: comparison of the zero-amylose waxy, waxy, high-amylose, and normal starch cultivarsDaalkhaijav Damiran
Department of Animal and Poultry Science, College of Agriculture and Bioresources, University of Saskatchewan, 51 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 5A8
J Agric Food Chem 58:10553-9. 2010..this study was to compare three new Canadian hull-less barley cultivars with altered starch characteristics (zero-amylose waxy, CDC Fibar; waxy, CDC Rattan; and high-amylose, HB08302) with conventional normal starch hull-less barley (..
- Lack of starch synthase IIIa and high expression of granule-bound starch synthase I synergistically increase the apparent amylose content in rice endospermNaoko Crofts
Department of Biological Production, Akita Prefectural University, 241 438 Kaidobata Nishi, Nakano Shimoshinjo, Akita City, Akita 010 0195, Japan
Plant Sci 193:62-9. 2012Rice endosperm starch is composed of 0-30% linear amylose, which is entirely synthesized by granule-bound starch synthase I (GBSSI: encoded by Waxy, Wx)...
- Microbial starch-binding domains as a tool for targeting proteins to granules during starch biosynthesisQin Ji
Graduate School Experimental Plant Sciences, Laboratory of Plant Breeding, Wageningen University, P O Box 386, 6700 AJ Wageningen, Netherlands
Plant Mol Biol 51:789-801. 2003..The synthetic gene was expressed in the tubers of two potato cultivars (cv. Kardal and cv. Karnico) and one amylose-free (amf) potato mutant. SBDs accumulated inside starch granules, not at the granule surface...
- Temporal change in the gut community of rats fed high amylose cornstarch is driven by endogenous urea rather than strictly on carbohydrate availabilityM Kalmokoff
Atlantic Food and Horticulture Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Kentville, NS, Canada
J Appl Microbiol 114:1516-28. 2013To examine change in the gut community of rats fed high amylose maize starch (HAMS).
- The importance of amylose and amylopectin fine structures for starch digestibility in cooked rice grainsZ A Syahariza
University of Queensland, Centre for Nutrition and Food Sciences, Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Food Chem 136:742-9. 2013..structural characteristics, including fine structures of the distributions of branch (chain) lengths in both amylose and amylopectin...
- Effects of dietary beef and chicken with and without high amylose maize starch on blood malondialdehyde, interleukins, IGF-I, insulin, leptin, MMP-2, and TIMP-2 concentrations in ratsShusuke Toden
Food Futures National Research Flagship, Australia, CSIRO Food and Nutritional Sciences, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Nutr Cancer 62:454-65. 2010..colonic DNA strand breakage than equivalent levels of chicken in rats and that resistant starch (RS) as 20% high amylose maize starch (HAMS) attenuated the damage...
- In vitro and in vivo digestibility of native maize starch granules varying in amylose contentsTatsuya Morita
Shizuoka University, Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, 836 Ohya, Shizuoka 422 8529, Japan
J AOAC Int 90:1628-34. 2007Digestibility of maize starch granules with different amylose content (AL-0, 22, 54, 68, 80, or 90%) was investigated...
- Kinetic and equilibrium study of the enantioseparation of paroxetine intermediate on amylose and tartaric acid-based chiral stationary phasesZongbi Bao
Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, National Laboratory of Secondary Resources Chemical Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
J Sep Sci 31:16-22. 2008..It was separated on amylose and tartaric acid-based chiral stationary phases by HPLC...
- Starch with high amylose and low in vitro digestibility increases short-chain fatty acid absorption, reduces peak insulin secretion, and modulates incretin secretion in pigsPrajwal R Regmi
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2P5, Canada
J Nutr 141:398-405. 2011..0 ± 0.2 kg body weight) consumed 4 diets containing 70% purified starch [0-63.2% amylose content and 0.22 (slowly) to 1...
- Analytical and semi-preparative enantioseparation of organic phosphonates on a new immobilized amylose based chiral stationary phaseYuping Zhang
Center for Research and Development of Fine Chemicals, Key Laboratory of Green Pesticide and Agriculture Bioengineering, Ministry of Education, Guizhou University, Guiyang, China Fax 86 851 362 2211
J Sep Sci 31:2946-52. 2008Two chiral stationary phases derived from derivatized amylose (Chiralpak AD-H and Chiralpak IA) have been used to separate the enantiomers of new diethyl benzamidoarylmethylphosphonates...
- Pectin and high-amylose maize starch increase caecal hydrogen production and relieve hepatic ischaemia-reperfusion injury in ratsNaomichi Nishimura
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Health and Welfare Science, Nayoro City University, Kita 8 1, Nishi 4, Nayoro, Hokkaido, Japan
Br J Nutr 107:485-92. 2012..ischaemia-reperfusion (IR) injury, which results from oxidative stress, in rats fed a pectin (Pec) or high-amylose maize starch (HAS) diet...
- Amylopectin aggregation as a function of starch phosphate content studied by size exclusion chromatography and on-line refractive index and light scatteringA Blennow
Center for Molecular Plant Physiology PlaCe, Plant Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Plant Biology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, 40 Thorvaldsensvej, DK 1871 Frederiksberg C, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Biol Macromol 28:409-20. 2001..aggregates, amylopectin particles with radius of gyration (Rg) of approx 200 nm (400 nm blocklets) and amylose. A procedure for correction of light scattering signals spread over the SEC profile as a result of aggregate ..
- Inflammatory rather than infectious insults play a role in exocrine tissue damage in a mouse model for coxsackievirus B4-induced pancreatitisArmando M De Palma
Laboratory of Virology and Experimental Chemotherapy, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Belgium
J Pathol 217:633-41. 2009..In conclusion, our data suggest that immunopathological effects, rather than direct virus-induced destruction, are responsible for the damage to acinar tissue in CVB4-induced pancreatitis...
- Imaging of carrageenan macrocycles and amylose using noncontact atomic force microscopyT M McIntire
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Irvine 92697 2025, USA
Int J Biol Macromol 26:303-10. 1999Samples of kappa-carrageenan, iota-carrageenan, and synthetic amylose have been examined by atomic force microscopy (AFM)...
- Variation in storage alpha-polyglucans of red algae: amylose and semi-amylopectin types in Porphyridium and glycogen type in CyanidiumTakahiro Shimonaga
School of Life Sciences, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo, 192 0392, Japan
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 9:192-202. 2007..species Porphyridium purpureum R-1 (order Porphyridiales, class Bangiophyceae) produces both amylopectin-type and amylose-type alpha-polyglucans...
- Carboxymethyl high amylose starch for F4 fimbriae gastro-resistant oral formulationCarmen Calinescu
Department of Chemistry and Centre BioMed, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, C P 8888, Succ A, Montreal Quebec, Canada H3C 3P8
Int J Pharm 343:18-25. 2007The carboxymethyl high amylose starch (CM-HAS) was proposed as excipient able to protect F4 fimbriae oral vaccine against gastric acidity and pepsin, allowing its subsequent liberation in the intestinal fluid...
- Modified high amylose starch for immobilization of uricase for therapeutic applicationJérôme Mulhbacher
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, C P 8888, Succ A, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3P8
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 36:163-70. 2002Urate oxidase (uricase) was immobilized on carboxymethyl high amylose starch cross-linked 35 (CM-HASCL-35), on aminoethyl high amylose starch cross-linked 35, as well as on commercial supports, CNBr-activated Sepharose and ..
- Analysis of the active center of branching enzyme II from maize endospermT Kuriki
Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
J Protein Chem 15:305-13. 1996..The importance of the carboxyl amino acid residues was also demonstrated by chemical modification of the branching enzyme protein using 1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)carbodiimide...
- The resistant starch level of heat moisture-treated high amylose cornstarch is much lower when measured in the human terminal ileum than when estimated in vitroKazuma Danjo
Department of Hygiene, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Hirosaki, 036 8562 Aomori, Japan
J Nutr 133:2218-21. 2003..Volunteers (n = 7 men) were given a test meal containing 10 g of heat moisture-treated high amylose cornstarch (HMT-HAS) containing 8.8 g of RS as measured by Englyst's method...
- Analysis of genotypic and environmental effects on rice starch. 1. Apparent amylose content, pasting viscosity, and gel textureJinsong Bao
Institute of Nuclear Agricultural Sciences, College of Agriculture and Biotechnology, Zhejiang University, Hua Jiachi Campus, Hangzhou 310029, People s Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 52:6010-6. 2004Eight rice varieties with wide diversity in apparent amylose content (AC) were selected and planted in the early season and late season of Hangzhou and in the winter season of Hainan for two consecutive years to study the genotype x ..
- Determination of amylose content in starch using Raman spectroscopy and multivariate calibration analysisMariana R Almeida
Nucleo de Espectroscopia e Estrutura Molecular NEEM, Departamento de Quimica, Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, 36036 330 Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
Anal Bioanal Chem 397:2693-701. 2010..of pure corn and cassava starch samples and mixtures of both starches, as well as for the quantification of amylose content in corn and cassava starch samples...
- Environmental factors that affect the ability of amylose to contribute to retrogradation in gels made from rice flourKim Philpot
NSW Department of Primary Industries, Yanco Agricultural Institute, Yanco 2703, Australia
J Agric Food Chem 54:5182-90. 2006..Koshihikari grown in Japan retrograded much less than Koshihikari grown in Australia. The amount of amylose that could be washed from gels made from Australian flour was much greater than for gels made from Japanese flour...
- Improving bioavailability and stability of genistein by complexation with high-amylose corn starchRevital Cohen
Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel
J Agric Food Chem 59:7932-8. 2011..from these complexes was tested in vitro under simulated intestinal conditions and in vivo in rats fed high-amylose corn starch (HACS)-genistein complexes (experimental group) as compared to those fed a physical mixture of HACS ..
- Allelic variants of the amylose extender mutation of maize demonstrate phenotypic variation in starch structure resulting from modified protein-protein interactionsFushan Liu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, College of Biological Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1, Canada
J Exp Bot 63:1167-83. 2012b>Amylose extender (ae(-)) starches characteristically have modified starch granule morphology resulting from amylopectin with reduced branch frequency and longer glucan chains in clusters, caused by the loss of activity of the major ..
- Evaluation of amylose used as a drug delivery carrierXiang Cai
Institute of Polymer Science, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, BME Center, State Key Laboratory of Optoelectronic Materials and Technologies, DSAPM Lab and PCFM Lab, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510275, China
Carbohydr Res 345:922-8. 2010The enzyme-dependent conjugates of indomethacin and amylose (Am-IND) were synthesized at room temperature using N,N'-dicyclohexylcarbodiimide (DCC) as a coupling agent and 4-(N,N'-dimethylamino) pyridine (DMAP) as a catalyst...
- In depth study of a new highly efficient raw starch hydrolyzing α-amylase from Rhizomucor spGeorges Tawil
UR1268 Biopolymeres Interactions Assemblages, INRA, F 44300 Nantes
Biomacromolecules 12:34-42. 2011..b>Amylose-lipid complexes present in most cereal starches are degraded in a second stage, yielding amylose fragments that ..
- Improved methods for the structural analysis of the amylose-rich fraction from rice flourRachelle M Ward
NSW Department of Primary Industries, Yanco Agricultural Institute, PMB Yanco, NSW 2703, Australia
Biomacromolecules 7:866-76. 2006Cooking and sensory properties of rice are largely determined by the amylose content and structure. For relationships between functional and structural properties, a more accurate method to determine the structure of amylose is required...
- C-type starch from high-amylose rice resistant starch granules modified by antisense RNA inhibition of starch branching enzymeCunxu Wei
Key Laboratories of Crop Genetics and Physiology of the Jiangsu Province and Plant Functional Genomics of the Ministry of Education, Yangzhou, China
J Agric Food Chem 58:7383-8. 2010High-amylose starch is a source of resistant starch (RS) which has a great benefit on human health. A transgenic rice line (TRS) enriched amylose and RS had been developed by antisense RNA inhibition of starch branching enzymes...
- Ultra-high concentration of amylose for chiral separations in capillary electrophoresisWei Li Wei
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P O Box 2871, Beijing 100085, China
J Chromatogr A 1216:1484-9. 2009In the present study, a capillary electrophoresis method using high concentration of amylose solutions as separation medium has been developed with the aid of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) as co-solvent...
- Rice starch, amylopectin, and amylose: molecular weight and solubility in dimethyl sulfoxide-based solventsFang Zhong
School of Food Science and Technology, Southern Yangtze University, Wuxi, China
J Agric Food Chem 54:2320-6. 2006..as solvent for multi-angle laser-light scattering (MALLS) batch mode analysis of rice starch, and amylopectin and amylose weight-average molecular weight (Mw)...
- Microstructure and ultrastructure of high-amylose rice resistant starch granules modified by antisense RNA inhibition of starch branching enzymeCunxu Wei
Key Laboratories of Crop Genetics and Physiology of the Jiangsu Province and Plant Functional Genomics of the Ministry of Education, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou 225009, China
J Agric Food Chem 58:1224-32. 2010A high-amylose transgenic rice line (TRS) modified by antisense RNA inhibition of starch branching enzymes revealed a resistant starch-rich quality...
- High-amylose wheat generated by RNA interference improves indices of large-bowel health in ratsAhmed Regina
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Food Futures National Research Flagship, P O Box 93, North Ryde 1670, NSW, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:3546-51. 2006..two different isoforms of starch-branching enzyme (SBE) II (SBEIIa and SBEIIb) in wheat endosperm to raise its amylose content...
- Granule-bound starch synthase I is responsible for biosynthesis of extra-long unit chains of amylopectin in riceIsao Hanashiro
Faculty of Agriculture, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima 890 0065 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 49:925-33. 2008..The apparent amylose content was increased from undetectable amounts for the non-transgenic wx cultivars to 21.6-22...
- The altered pattern of amylose accumulation in the endosperm of low-amylose barley cultivars is attributable to a single mutant allele of granule-bound starch synthase I with a deletion in the 5'-non-coding regionNicola J Patron
John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norfolk NR4 7UH, United Kingdom
Plant Physiol 130:190-8. 2002Reasons for the variable amylose content of endosperm starch from waxy cultivars of barley (Hordeum vulgare) were investigated...
- Cooking attenuates the ability of high-amylose meals to reduce plasma insulin concentrations in ratsMarc A Brown
Metabolic Research Centre, Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences, University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Br J Nutr 90:823-7. 2003..Agents that may reduce postprandial glycaemia and/or insulinaemia, such as consumption of high-amylose foods, are considered beneficial; however, little is known about the dose-response relationship and the effects ..
- Effects of meals with high soluble fibre, high amylose barley variant on glucose, insulin, satiety and thermic effect of food in healthy lean womenJ B Keogh
Human Nutrition, CSIRO, Adelaide, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 61:597-604. 2007....
- Effects of high-amylose maize starch and butyrylated high-amylose maize starch on azoxymethane-induced intestinal cancer in ratsJulie M Clarke
Preventative Health National Research Flagship, CSIRO Human Nutrition, PO Box 10041, Adelaide BC 5000, South Australia
Carcinogenesis 29:2190-4. 2008..fed AIN-93G-based diets containing a standard low-RS maize starch (LAMS), LAMS + 3% tributyrin (LAMST), 10% high-amylose maize starch (HAMS) and 10% butyrylated HAMS (HAMSB) for 4 weeks...
- Two unique ligand-binding clamps of Rhizopus oryzae starch binding domain for helical structure disruption of amyloseTing Ying Jiang
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Department of Medical Science, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e41131. 2012..Here we characterized different roles of these sites in the binding of insoluble and soluble starches using an amylose-iodine complex assay, atomic force microscopy, isothermal titration calorimetry, site-directed mutagenesis, and ..
- Molecular characteristics of amylose and starch in dimethyl sulfoxideS Radosta
Fraunhofer Institut für Angewandte Polymerforschung, Geiselbergstrasse 69, 14476 Golm, Germany
Biomacromolecules 2:970-8. 2001..Studies of amylose and potato starches of different origins were carried out by the static light scattering, dynamic light ..
- Excretion of starch and esterified short-chain fatty acids by ileostomy subjects after the ingestion of acylated starchesJulie M Clarke
Preventative Health Flagship, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation Human Nutrition a Centre of Food Science Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 86:1146-51. 2007..The ability of acylated starches to deliver SCFAs to the large bowel has been shown in animal studies but has not been established in humans...
- Starch-based coatings for colon-specific delivery. Part II: physicochemical properties and in vitro drug release from high amylose maize starch filmsC Freire
Institute of Pharmacy, Chemistry and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sunderland, Sunderland, UK
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 72:587-94. 2009This work reports an investigation into free-film properties of a high amylose maize starch-based film coating that has been used in the preparation of formulations for drug delivery to the colon (WO 2008/012573 A1) and relates these ..
- Granule structure and distribution of allomorphs in C-type high-amylose rice starch granule modified by antisense RNA inhibition of starch branching enzymeCunxu Wei
College of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou 225009, China
J Agric Food Chem 58:11946-54. 2010..We have developed a high-amylose transgenic line of rice (TRS) by antisense RNA inhibition of starch branching enzymes...
- Resistant-starch formation in high-amylose maize starch during Kernel developmentHongxin Jiang
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
J Agric Food Chem 58:8043-7. 2010..objective of this study was to understand the resistant-starch (RS) formation during kernel development of a high-amylose maize, GEMS-0067 line. The RS content of the starch, determined using AOAC method 991...
- Helical- and ahelical-dependent chiral recognition mechanisms in capillary electrophoresis using amylose as the selectorWeili Wei
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, PR China
Electrophoresis 30:1380-7. 2009The present study discovered that helical structures of amylose were not always responsible for its chiral recognition abilities in CE. Several enantiomers with different structures were selected as models...
- Ultrastructure of individual and compound starch granules in isolation preparation from a high-quality, low-amylose rice, ilpumbyeo, and its mutant, G2, a high-dietary fiber, high-amylose riceKyung Soo Kim
Division of Genetics and Breeding, National Institute of Crop Science, RDA, Suwon, Republic of Korea
J Agric Food Chem 53:8745-51. 2005The ultrastructures of isolated starch granules from Ilpumbyeo (IP), a low-amylose japonica rice, and its mutant, Goami2 (G2), a high-amylose rice, which have extreme contrasts in physicochemical properties, cooking qualities (Kang, H. J...
- Processing of novel elevated amylose wheats: functional properties and starch digestibility of extruded productsHelene Chanvrier
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Food Futures National Research Flagship, P O Box 93, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia
J Agric Food Chem 55:10248-57. 2007Different types of novel wheat lines with different starch contents and amylose/amylopectin ratios, relating to defined alterations in the number and activity of starch synthase IIa genes, were processed by pilot-plant extrusion...
- Starch catabolism by a prominent human gut symbiont is directed by the recognition of amylose helicesNicole M Koropatkin
Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, St Louis, MO 63132, USA
Structure 16:1105-15. 2008....
- High-performance liquid chromatography enantioseparation of proton pump inhibitors using the immobilized amylose-based Chiralpak IA chiral stationary phase in normal-phase, polar organic and reversed-phase conditionsRoberto Cirilli
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Dipartimento del Farmaco, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Chromatogr A 1177:105-13. 2008The chiral resolving ability of the amylose-based Chiralpak IA chiral stationary phase towards omeprazole and other proton pump inhibitors under reversed-phase conditions was investigated...
- Dissecting the genetic basis for the effect of rice chalkiness, amylose content, protein content, and rapid viscosity analyzer profile characteristics on the eating quality of cooked rice using the chromosome segment substitution line population across eiXiaolu Liu
Institute of Crop Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China
Genome 54:64-80. 2011..The 16 quality traits include percentage of grain with chalkiness (PGWC), area of chalky endosperm (ACE), amylose content (AC), protein content (PC), peak viscosity, hot paste viscosity, cool paste viscosity, breakdown ..
- Distribution of amylose, nitrogen, and minerals in rice kernels with various charactersTomio Itani
School of Bioresources, Hiroshima Prefectural University, Shobara, Hiroshima 727 0023, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 50:5326-32. 2002..of rice or to give it some special traits by adjusting the milling intensity, we investigated the distribution of amylose, nitrogen (N), and specific minerals (P, K, Mg, Ca, and Mn) in rice kernels of 11 cultivars with various ..
- Psyllium shifts the fermentation site of high-amylose cornstarch toward the distal colon and increases fecal butyrate concentration in ratsT Morita
Azusawa Research Laboratories, Institute for Consumer Healthcare, Yamanouchi Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd 1 8, Azusawa 1 chome, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 174 8511, Japan
J Nutr 129:2081-7. 1999..Rats were fed one of the following four diets: low amylose (LAS) or high amylose cornstarch diets (HAS, 50 g/kg diet) with or without 15 g PS/kg diet (LAS/PS and HAS/PS ..
- Introduction of Wx transgene into rice wx mutants leads to both high- and low-amylose riceKimiko Itoh
Faculty of Agriculture, Niigata University, 8050, Ikarashi 2, Niigata, 950 2181 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 44:473-80. 2003The Waxy (Wx) gene encodes a granule-bound starch synthase (GBSS) that plays a key role in the amylose synthesis of rice and other plant species...
- Granule-bound starch synthase I. A major enzyme involved in the biogenesis of B-crystallites in starch granulesFabrice Wattebled
Unite de Glycobiologie Structurale et Fonctionnelle, Unité Mixte de Recherche CNRS USTL n degrees 8576, Unité Sous Contrat de l INRA, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Eur J Biochem 269:3810-20. 2002..the major fraction of starch, is thought to be chiefly responsible for this semicrystalline organization while amylose is generally considered as an amorphous polymer with little or no impact on the overall crystalline organization...
- High red meat diets induce greater numbers of colonic DNA double-strand breaks than white meat in rats: attenuation by high-amylose maize starchShusuke Toden
Food Futures National Research Flagship, CSIRO Human Nutrition, Kintore Ave, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Carcinogenesis 28:2355-62. 2007..were fed diets containing approximately 15, 25 or 35% of cooked beef or chicken, both with or without 20% high-amylose maize starch (HAMS) as a source of RS, for 4 weeks...
- Resistant starch prevents colonic DNA damage induced by high dietary cooked red meat or casein in ratsShusuke Toden
CSIRO Human Nutrition, Kintore Avenue, Adelaide, Australia, CSIRO Food Futures National Research, Flagship, Australia
Cancer Biol Ther 5:267-72. 2006..a diet containing 15% or 25% casein or 25% cooked lean red beef, each with or without the addition of 48% high amylose maize starch (a rich source of RS) for four weeks...
- Cyclodextrins are not the major cyclic alpha-1,4-glucans produced by the initial action of cyclodextrin glucanotransferase on amyloseY Terada
Biochemical Research Laboratory, Ezaki Glico Co, Ltd, Utajima 4 6 5, Nishiyodogawa ku, Osaka 555, Japan
J Biol Chem 272:15729-33. 1997..4.1.19) from an alkalophilic Bacillus sp. A2-5a on amylose was investigated...
- Utilization of amylose-lipid complexes as molecular nanocapsules for conjugated linoleic AcidInbal Lalush
Department of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel
Biomacromolecules 6:121-30. 2005b>Amylose-conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) complexes were produced by water/dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and KOH/HCl complexation methods...
- Suppression of azoxymethane-induced colon cancer development in rats by dietary resistant starchRichard K Le Leu
Department of Medicine, Flinders University, Bedford Park, Australia
Cancer Biol Ther 6:1621-6. 2007..This study evaluated the hypothesis that feeding dietary resistant starch (as high amylose maize starch) would protect against azoxymethane (AOM)-colon carcinogenesis and favourably influence the colonic ..
- Characterization of crosslinked high amylose starch matrix implants. 2. In vivo release of ciprofloxacinCyril Désévaux
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Montreal, C P 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal QC, H3C 3J7, Canada
J Control Release 82:95-103. 2002The purpose of this study was to develop a crosslinked high amylose starch (CLHAS) matrix implant as a sustained antimicrobial delivery system for local prevention and/or treatment of osteomyelitis...
- HPLC enantiomeric resolution of nebivolol on normal and reversed amylose based chiral phasesH Y Aboul-Enein
Pharmaceutical Analysis Laboratory, Biological and Medical Research Department MBC 03, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Pharmazie 56:214-6. 2001..The columns used were Chiralpak AD and Chiralpak AD-RH containing amylose tris (3,5-dimethyl phenyl carbamate) as the chiral selector...
- DFT conformation and energies of amylose fragments at atomic resolution. Part 1: Syn forms of alpha-maltotetraoseUdo Schnupf
Plant Polymer Research, USDA, ARS, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, 1815 N University St, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Carbohydr Res 344:362-73. 2009DFT optimization studies of 90 syn alpha-maltotetraose (DP-4) amylose fragments have been carried out at the B3LYP/6-311++G** level of theory...
- Characterization of crosslinked high amylose starch matrix implants. 1. In vitro release of ciprofloxacinCyril Désévaux
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Montreal, C P 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal QC, H3C 3J7, Canada
J Control Release 82:83-93. 2002The objective of this study was to characterize in vitro the potential of crosslinked high amylose starch (CLHAS) as an implant matrix for the delivery of ciprofloxacin (CFX)...
- Manipulation of colonic bacteria and volatile fatty acid production by dietary high amylose maize (amylomaize) starch granulesX Wang
CRC Food Industry Innovation, School of Medicine, The University of Queensland, Mater Adult Hospital, South Bank, Australia
J Appl Microbiol 93:390-7. 2002..To study the effects of amylomaize starch and modified (carboxymethylated and acetylated) amylomaize starches on the composition of colonic bacteria and the production of volatile fatty acids, in mice...
- Structure and functional properties of sorghum starches differing in amylose contentYijun Sang
J Agric Food Chem 56:6680-5. 2008..To study the relationship between starch structure and functionality and guide applications of these starches, amylose content, amylopectin chain-length distributions, gelatinization and retrogradation, pasting properties, dynamic ..
- Improving health benefits of wheat by increasing resistant starchANN JOAN SLADE; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose to develop novel wheat cultivars with very high levels of resistant starch. By increasing levels of amylose, one of the components of starch, resistant starch levels increase...
- Role of slowly digestible starch in diabetes risk factors in pre-diabetic peopleEric Ravussin; Fiscal Year: 2013..80 individuals (35-65y) with pre-diabetes (IGT/IFG) will receive either a diet containing slow digestible starch (amylose;N=40) or "control" starch (amylopectin;N=40) for 3 months...
- Role of the SrmB Helicase in Ribosome Assembly investigated by Mass SpectrometryCarla F Cervantes; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will introduce WT and mutant MBP-SrmB expression plasmids into ?SrmB cells and perform MBP tag pull downs with amylose resin of both crude lysate and sucrose gradient fractions in order to purify MBP-SrmB-associated ribosomal ..
- EFFECT OF CHRONIC AMYLOSE FEEDING IN ADIPOSITYDANIEL BESSESSEN; Fiscal Year: 2001..All starch is comprised of two polymers of glucose amylose or amylopectin, in different proportions...
- ENZYME CATALYZED SYNTHESIS OF MONOSACCHARIDESGeorge Whitesides; Fiscal Year: 2000..Use potato phosphorylase to prepare amylose conjugates of proteins and other molecules. ...
- COLONIC CRYPT CELL FUNCTIONHENRY BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2001..We plan to establish the cellular model and the regulatory control of agonist-induced colonic bicarbonate secretion. These studies should define the cellular mechanisms of Na/C1/HCO/3 absorption and secretion in the colonic crypt. ..
- Synthesis/Biological evaluation of Anti-HIV NucleosidesDavid Chu; Fiscal Year: 2005..This is the first such studies demonstrating the potential of this molecular modeling approach. ..
- Colonic Crypt HCO3 SecretionHENRY BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., cNBC) differs substantially from other NBCs and may represent a novel epithelial cell NBC. We propose comprehensive transport, electrophysiological and molecular studies to characterize crypt HCO3 secretion. ..
- T Cell Memory to Respiratory Viral InfectionsShahram Salek Ardakani; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..