Genomes and Genes
Summary: Polysaccharides composed of D-fructose units.
Publications229 found, 100 shown here
- Roles of the fructans from leaf sheaths and from the elongating leaf bases in the regrowth following defoliation of Lolium perenne LA Morvan-Bertrand
, IRBA, , France
Planta 213:109-20. 2001..cv. Bravo) during the first 48 h of regrowth showed that fructans from elongating leaf bases were hydrolysed first whereas fructans in mature leaf sheaths were degraded only after ..
- Molecular characterization of sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase and sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase associated with fructan accumulation in winter wheat during cold hardeningAkira Kawakami
National Agricultural Research Center for Hokkaido Region, Hitsujigaoka, Sapporo 062 8555, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:2297-305. 2002..Our results showed that Wft1 and Wft2 were important in fructan accumulation during cold hardening of winter wheat...
- Properties of fructan:fructan 1-fructosyltransferases from chicory and globe thistle, two Asteracean plants storing greatly different types of inulinRudy Vergauwen
K U Leuven, Laboratory for Developmental Biology, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Plant Physiol 133:391-401. 2003..Some species such as artichoke (Cynara scolymus) and globe thistle (Echinops ritro) store fructans with a considerably higher degree of polymerization than the one observed in chicory (Cichorium intybus) and ..
- Can dietary fructans lower serum glucose?Nana K A Bonsu
Program in Gerontology, University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Diabetes 3:58-66. 2011Convincing evidence indicates that the consumption of inulin-type fructans, inulin, and oligofructose has beneficial effects on blood glucose changes in animal models, although data in humans have been considered equivocal...
- Inulin-type fructans with prebiotic properties counteract GPR43 overexpression and PPARγ-related adipogenesis in the white adipose tissue of high-fat diet-fed miceEvelyne M Dewulf
Louvain Drug Research Institute, Metabolism and Nutrition Research Group, LDRI, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Nutr Biochem 22:712-22. 2011Inulin-type fructans (ITF) are nondigestible/fermentable carbohydrates which are able - through the modification of the gut microbiota - to counteract high-fat (HF) diet-induced obesity, endotoxemia and related-metabolic alterations...
- Fructan and its relationship to abiotic stress tolerance in plantsDavid P Livingston
USDA and North Carolina State University, 840 Method Road, Unit 3, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:2007-23. 2009..These experiments indicate that besides an indirect effect of supplying tissues with hexose sugars, fructan has a direct protective effect that can be demonstrated by both model systems and genetic transformation...
- Fructans, but not the sucrosyl-galactosides, raffinose and loliose, are affected by drought stress in perennial ryegrassVéronique Amiard
Unité Mixte de Recherche Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Université de Caen Basse Normandie, Laboratoire de Physiologie et Biochimie Végétales, Institut de Recherche en Biologie Appliquée, Universite, 14032 Caen Cedex, France
Plant Physiol 132:2218-29. 2003..1,6) alpha-D-Glc (1,2) beta-D-Fru], in drought tolerance of perennial ryegrass and to compare it with that of fructans. To that end, the loliose biosynthetic pathway was first established and shown to operate by a UDP-Gal: sucrose (..
- Inulin-type fructans: functional food ingredientsMarcel B Roberfroid
Universite Catholique de Louvain, B 1348 Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
J Nutr 137:2493S-2502S. 2007..The term inulin-type fructans covers all beta(2<--1) linear fructans including native inulin (DP 2-60, DP(av) = 12), oligofructose (DP 2-8, ..
- Molecular structures of fructans from Agave tequilana Weber var. azulMercedes G Lopez
Departamento de Biotecnologia y Bioquimica, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Unidad Irapuato, Apartado Postal 629, Irapuato, Gto, 36500 Mexico
J Agric Food Chem 51:7835-40. 2003Agave plants utilize crassulacean acid metabolism (CAM) for CO(2) fixation. Fructans are the principal photosynthetic products generated by agave plants...
- Plant fructans in stress environments: emerging concepts and future prospectsRavi Valluru
Institute for Crop Production and Grassland Research, University of Hohenheim, D 70599 Stuttgart, Germany
J Exp Bot 59:2905-16. 2008..b>Fructans are fructose-based polymers synthesized from sucrose by fructosyltransferases (FTs)...
- Carbohydrate partitioning between upper and lower regions of the crown in oat and rye during cold acclimation and freezingD P Livingston
USDA and North Carolina State University, Unit 3, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Cryobiology 52:200-8. 2006..Results suggest that to understand how carbohydrates relate to freezing tolerance, regions of the crown that endure freezing stress differently should be compared...
- Pp6-FEH1 encodes an enzyme for degradation of highly polymerized levan and is transcriptionally induced by defoliation in timothy (Phleum pratense L.)Ken ihi Tamura
National Agricultural Research Center for Hokkaido Region, Hitsujigaoka 1, Toyohira, Sapporo 062 8555, Japan
J Exp Bot 62:3421-31. 2011..In temperate grass species accumulating fructans, defoliation induces the activity of a fructan exohydrolase (FEH) that degrades fructans to serve as a carbon ..
- Contribution of alginate and levan production to biofilm formation by Pseudomonas syringaeHeike Laue
Molecular Microbial Ecology Group, BioCentrum DTU, Technical University of Denmark, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Microbiology 152:2909-18. 2006..syringae derivatives. Production of the as yet uncharacterized additional EPS might be more important for biofilm formation than the syntheses of levan and alginate...
- Plants modify biological processes to ensure survival following carbon depletion: a Lolium perenne modelJulia M Lee
DairyNZ Ltd, Hamilton, New Zealand
PLoS ONE 5:e12306. 2010..In addition, many transcriptomic experiments have typically been undertaken under laboratory conditions; therefore, long-term acclimation strategies that plants use in natural environments are not well understood...
- Dietary fructans and serum triacylglycerols: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsFurio Brighenti
Department of Public Health, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
J Nutr 137:2552S-2556S. 2007Convincing evidence indicates that the intake of inulin-type fructans, inulin and oligofructose, has beneficial effects on blood lipid changes in animals, although data in humans have been considered contradictory...
- Production of long-chain levan by a sacC insertional mutant from Bacillus subtilis 327UHToshio Shida
Department of Applied Biology, Faculty of Textile Science and Technology, Shinshu University, Ueda, Nagano, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:1555-8. 2002..After transformation of 327UH with a levanase-deficient 168SC (sacC::Cm(r)) chromosomal DNA, a Cm(r) transformant 327UHSC (sacC::Cm(r) degSU(Hy)) produced 3 times longer levan than that of the wild type...
- Towards understanding vacuolar antioxidant mechanisms: a role for fructans?Darin Peshev
KU Leuven, Laboratory of Molecular Plant Biology, Kasteelpark Arenberg 31, Leuven, Belgium
J Exp Bot 64:1025-38. 2013..Based on these and previous findings, a working model is proposed describing the putative radical reactions involving fructans and secondary metabolites at the inner side of the tonoplast and in the vacuolar lumen.
- Overview of experimental data on reduction of colorectal cancer risk by inulin-type fructansBeatrice L Pool-Zobel
Department of Nutritional Toxicology, Institute for Nutrition, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
J Nutr 137:2580S-2584S. 2007..The responsible carcinogens cause mutations or enhance cell growth. Inulin-type fructans may counteract the effects via their gut flora-mediated fermentation products in vitro and in vivo...
- Quantification of fructans, galacto-oligosacharides and other short-chain carbohydrates in processed grains and cerealsJ R Biesiekierski
Department of Medicine, Monash University, Box Hill, Victoria, Australia
J Hum Nutr Diet 24:154-76. 2011..The prebiotics best studied are fructans [fructooligosaccharides (FOS), inulin] and galactooligosaccharides (GOS)...
- In vitro kinetic analysis of fermentation of prebiotic inulin-type fructans by Bifidobacterium species reveals four different phenotypesGwen Falony
Research Group of Industrial Microbiology and Food Biotechnology, Department of Applied Biological Sciences and Engineering, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:454-61. 2009..These variations indicate niche-specific adaptation of bifidobacteria and could have in vivo implications on the strain specificity of the stimulatory effect of inulin-type fructans on bifidobacteria.
- Fructan and free fructose content of common Australian vegetables and fruitJane G Muir
Monash University, Department of Medicine, Box Hill Hospital, Victoria 3128, Australia
J Agric Food Chem 55:6619-27. 2007b>Fructans are not digested in the small intestines of humans. While many health benefits have been attributed to these carbohydrates, they can cause gastrointestinal symptoms in some individuals...
- Fructans interact strongly with model membranesR A Demel
Department Biochemistry of Membranes, Centre for Biomembranes and Lipid Enzymology, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, NL 3584 CH Utrecht, Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1375:36-42. 1998Bacterial fructans with a high degree of polymerisation cause a very large increase in surface pressure of lipid monolayers at the air-water interface with a broad range of lipids, including phosphatidylethanolamine and several types of ..
- Contribution of Erwinia amylovora exopolysaccharides amylovoran and levan to biofilm formation: implications in pathogenicityJessica M Koczan
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Phytopathology 99:1237-44. 2009..These results demonstrate that biofilm formation plays a critical role in the pathogenesis of E. amylovora...
- Studies with inulin-type fructans on intestinal infections, permeability, and inflammationFrancisco Guarner
Digestive System Research Unit, University Hospital Vall d Hebron, CIBERehd, Barcelona, Spain
J Nutr 137:2568S-2571S. 2007Symbiosis between host and gut bacteria can be optimized by prebiotics. Inulin-type fructans have been shown to improve the microbial balance of the intestinal ecosystem by stimulating the growth of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli...
- Set up of a new in vitro model to study dietary fructans fermentation in formula-fed babiesGwenaelle Le Blay
Laboratory of Food Biotechnology, Institute of Food Science and Nutrition, ETH Zurich, Schmelzbergstrasse 7, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Br J Nutr 103:403-11. 2010..simulating the proximal colon of a formula-fed baby was developed and used to test the effects of known prebiotic fructans. Intestinal fermentation, based on a previously developed colonic fermentation model, using a new feeding medium ..
- In vitro comparison of the prebiotic effects of two inulin-type fructansAnna Pompei
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Bologna, Via Belmeloro 6, 40100 Bologna, Italy
Anaerobe 14:280-6. 2008..05) compared to the control. Significant changes in the pH and levels of ammonia with both inulin-type fructans were observed, as well as higher levels of acetic, lactic and formic acids (P< or =0.05)...
- Microbial fructosyltransferases and the role of fructansM L Velázquez-Hernández
Centro Multidisciplinario de Estudios en Biotecnología, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo, Michoacan, Mexico
J Appl Microbiol 106:1763-78. 2009..Microbial fructans are involved in conferring resistance to environmental stress such as water deprivation, nutrient assimilation, ..
- High levan accumulation in transgenic tobacco plants expressing the Gluconacetobacter diazotrophicus levansucrase geneAlexander Banguela
Laboratorio Interacciones Planta Microorganismo, Centro de Ingenieria Genetica y Biotecnologia CIGB, Habana, Cuba
J Biotechnol 154:93-8. 2011..of onion sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase (1-SST) in tobacco, a crop that does not naturally produce fructans. In the transgenic plants, levan with degree of polymerization above 10(4) fructosyl units was detected in leaves,..
- Short-term effect of bedtime consumption of fermented milk supplemented with calcium, inulin-type fructans and caseinphosphopeptides on bone metabolism in healthy, postmenopausal womenBerit Adolphi
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry of Nutrition, Max Rubner Institut MRI, Federal Research Institute of Nutrition and Food, Hermann Weigmann Strasse 1, 24103, Kiel, Germany
Eur J Nutr 48:45-53. 2009..Milk products are good sources of calcium and their consumption may reduce bone resorption and thus contribute to prevent bone loss...
- Are small GTPases signal hubs in sugar-mediated induction of fructan biosynthesis?Tita Ritsema
Botanisches Institut der Universität Basel, Zurich Basel Plant Science Center, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 4:e6605. 2009..The results lead us to infer a central role for small GTPases in sugar signaling...
- Importance of pre-anthesis anther sink strength for maintenance of grain number during reproductive stage water stress in wheatXuemei Ji
CSIRO Plant Industry, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601, Australia
Plant Cell Environ 33:926-42. 2010....
- Towards a better understanding of the generation of fructan structure diversity in plants: molecular and functional characterization of a sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT) cDNA from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne)Bertrand Lasseur
UMR INRA UCBN 950 EVA Ecophysiologie Végétale, Agronomie and nutritions NCS, Universite de Caen, Esplanade de la Paix, 14032 Caen Cedex, France
J Exp Bot 62:1871-85. 2011The main storage compounds in Lolium perenne are fructans with prevailing β(2-6) linkages. A cDNA library of L. perenne was screened using Poa secunda sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT) as a probe...
- Enhanced levan production using chitin-binding domain fused levansucrase immobilized on chitin beadsChung Jen Chiang
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, China Medical University, No 91, Hsueh Shih Road, Taichung, 40402, Taiwan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 82:445-51. 2009..It is apparent that this approach offers a promising way for levan production by Z. mobilis levansucrase immobilized on chitin beads...
- Sequential production of two biopolymers-levan and poly-ε-lysine by microbial fermentationIng Lung Shih
Department of Environmental Engineering, Da Yeh University, Changhua, Taiwan
Bioresour Technol 102:3966-9. 2011..The process of using remnant (waste) from levan fermentation for the second biopolymer (ε-PL) production is unprecedented and the products obtained are environmental-friendly...
- Ryegrass leaf fructan synthesis is oxygen dependent and abolished by endomembrane inhibitorsAndrew J Cairns
Institute of Biological Environmental and Rural Sciences, Aberystwyth University, Gogerddan SY233EB, UK
New Phytol 180:832-40. 2008..It was shown that the results were inconsistent with a vacuolar site for fructan synthesis. Six inhibitors of endomembrane function were shown to abolish fructan synthesis in vivo...
- Effect of the dietary polyphenolic fraction of chicory root, peel, seed and leaf extracts on caecal fermentation and blood parameters in rats fed diets containing prebiotic fructansJerzy Juśkiewicz
Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences, 10 Tuwima Street, Olsztyn, Poland
Br J Nutr 105:710-20. 2011..was to examine the physiological response of growing rats to a dietary combination of prebiotic chicory fructans, with polyphenols originating from different parts of the chicory plant, i.e. roots, root peels, seeds and leaves...
- Digestive tolerance of inulin-type fructans: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over, dose-ranging, randomized study in healthy volunteersJacques Bruhwyler
Squarepoint Pointcarré sprl, Ecaussinnes, Belgium
Int J Food Sci Nutr 60:165-75. 2009Similar to other indigestible carbohydrates or dietary fibres, a consumption of too large quantities of inulin-type fructans may cause some digestive problems.
- Comparison of native or reformulated chicory fructans, or non-purified chicory, on rat cecal fermentation and mineral metabolismChristian Demigne
UMR1019, Unité Nutrition Humaine, INRA, Centre Clermont Ferrand Theix, 63122, St Genes Champanelle, France
Eur J Nutr 47:366-74. 2008..inulin ((NAT)Inulin) or a reformulated inulin ((REF)Inulin, based on a combination of short- and long chain fructans) or dehydrated chicory...
- Inulin-type fructans of longer degree of polymerization exert more pronounced in vitro prebiotic effectsT Van De Wiele
Laboratory Microbial Ecology and Technology LabMET, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
J Appl Microbiol 102:452-60. 2007We assessed to what extent fructans of different degrees of polymerization (DP) differ in their prebiotic effectiveness towards in vitro microbial communities from the proximal and distal colon.
- Crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction study of fructan 1-exohydrolase IIa from Cichorium intybusMaureen Verhaest
Laboratorium voor Analytische Chemie en Medicinale Fysicochemie, Faculteit Farmaceutische Wetenschappen, K U Leuven, E Van Evenstraat 4, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 60:553-4. 2004..83, b = 139.83, c = 181.94 A. Calculation of the Matthews coefficient indicates there to be two or three molecules in the asymmetric unit. Synchrotron radiation was used to collect a complete native data set to a resolution of 2.35 A...
- Isolation, structural elucidation and immunomodulatory activity of fructans from aged garlic extractPuthanapura M Chandrashekar
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratory, Mysore, Karnataka State, India
Phytochemistry 72:255-64. 2011..AGE is also known to contain fructans; the amount of fructans in AGE represents a small fraction (0.22%) of the total fructans in raw garlic...
- Prebiotic capacity of inulin-type fructansSofia Kolida
Food Microbial Sciences Unit, Department of Food Biosciences, The University of Reading, Reading, UK
J Nutr 137:2503S-2506S. 2007..In vitro and in vivo evidence has accumulated to confirm the prebiotic effects of inulin-derived fructans.
- Long-term administration of inulin-type fructans has no significant lipid-lowering effect in normolipidemic humansFabien Forcheron
INSERM U 499, Faculté RTH Laennec, IFR 62, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon, 69008 Lyon, France
Metabolism 56:1093-8. 2007Short-term studies have shown that the addition to diet of inulin-type fructans, a nondigestible carbohydrate, may have a plasma lipid-lowering effect in humans...
- Linear ion trap MS(n) of enzymatically synthesized 13C-labeled fructans revealing differentiating fragmentation patterns of β (1-2) and β (1-6) fructans and providing a tool for oligosaccharide identification in complex mixturesScott Harrison
AgResearch, Grasslands Research Center, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Anal Chem 84:1540-8. 2012b>Fructans are polymeric carbohydrates, which play important roles as plant reserve carbohydrates and stress protectants, and are beneficial for human health and animal production...
- Kinetic study of the thermal hydrolysis of Agave salmiana for mezcal productionM J Garcia-Soto
Departamento de Ingeniería Química Bioquímica, Instituto Tecnológico de Celaya, Avenida Tecnológico s n, Celaya, Guanajuato 38010, México
J Agric Food Chem 59:7333-40. 2011The kinetics of the thermal hydrolysis of the fructans of Agave salmiana were determined during the cooking step of mezcal production in a pilot autoclave...
- In vitro fermentation profiles, gas production rates, and microbiota modulation as affected by certain fructans, galactooligosaccharides, and polydextroseDavid C Hernot
University of Illinois, Department of Animal Sciences, 1207 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Agric Food Chem 57:1354-61. 2009..Mixing short- and long-chain oligosaccharides attenuated short-chain oligosaccharide fermentation rate and extent. This study provides new information on the fermentation characteristics of some oligosaccharides used in human nutrition...
- Unexpected presence of graminan- and levan-type fructans in the evergreen frost-hardy eudicot Pachysandra terminalis (Buxaceae): purification, cloning, and functional analysis of a 6-SST/6-SFT enzymeWim Van den Ende
Laboratory of Molecular Plant Physiology, Institute of Botany and Microbiology, KU Leuven, B 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Plant Physiol 155:603-14. 2011About 15% of flowering plants accumulate fructans. Inulin-type fructans with β(2,1) fructosyl linkages typically accumulate in the core eudicot families (e.g...
- Fructan accumulation and transcription of candidate genes during cold acclimation in three varieties of Poa pratensisR Shyama Prasad Rao
Aarhus University, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Genetics and Biotechnology, Forsøgsvej 1, Slagelse, Denmark
J Plant Physiol 168:344-51. 2011Poa pratensis, a type species for the grass family (Poaceae), is an important cool season grass that accumulates fructans as a polysaccharide reserve...
- [Systematic review of the effects of inulin-type fructans on blood lipid profiles: a meta-analysis]Ting Wu
Institute for Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, China
Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 39:172-6. 2010To conduct a systematic review on the efficacy of inulin-type fructans on lowering blood lipids, randomized controlled intervention trials on the analysis of plasma total cholesterol and triacylglycerol resulted from the treatment of ..
- High dietary intake of prebiotic inulin-type fructans in the prehistoric Chihuahuan DesertJeff D Leach
Paleobiotics Laboratory, 2401 Burgundy Suite 7, New Orleans, LA 70117, USA
Br J Nutr 103:1558-61. 2010..in the northern Chihuahuan Desert reveal intensive utilisation of desert plants that store prebiotic inulin-type fructans as the primary carbohydrate...
- Enzymatic hydrolysis of fructans in the tequila production processAngela Avila-Fernández
Instituto de Biotecnologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
J Agric Food Chem 57:5578-85. 2009..of reserve carbohydrates in most plant-derived alcoholic beverage processes carried out with enzymes, agave fructans in tequila production have traditionally been transformed to fermentable sugars through acid thermal hydrolysis...
- Levan (beta-2, 6-fructan), a major fraction of fermented soybean mucilage, displays immunostimulating properties via Toll-like receptor 4 signalling: induction of interleukin-12 production and suppression of T-helper type 2 response and immunoglobulin E pQ Xu
Central Research Institute, Mizkan Group Co Ltd, Handa, Japan
Clin Exp Allergy 36:94-101. 2006..However, the formulations previously examined were not chemically pure, and this is a major limitation for elucidation of the molecular mechanisms for their activities...
- Structural and kinetic analysis of Schwanniomyces occidentalis invertase reveals a new oligomerization pattern and the role of its supplementary domain in substrate bindingMiguel Alvaro-Benito
Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa, Departamento de Biologia Molecular, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 285:13930-41. 2010..This highlights the essential function that oligomerization plays in substrate specificity and assigns, for the first time, a direct catalytic role to the supplementary domain of a GH32 enzyme...
- Determination of the structure and degree of polymerisation of fructans from Echinacea purpurea rootsMaren Wack
Pharmaceutical Institute, Department of Pharmaceutical Biology, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, Gutenbergstr 76, D 24118 Kiel, Germany
Carbohydr Res 341:1147-53. 2006Highly water soluble fructans have been isolated from Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench. roots by hot water extraction and precipitation at three different ethanol concentrations (80% v/v, 60% v/v and 40% v/v)...
- Molecular characterization of a putative sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT) of the cold-resistant Patagonian grass Bromus pictus associated with fructan accumulation under low temperaturesF del Viso
Instituto de Biotecnologia, CICVyA, Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia Agropecuaria INTA, Castelar, 1686, Hurlingham, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Plant Cell Physiol 50:489-503. 2009b>Fructans are fructose polymers synthesized from sucrose in the plant vacuole. They represent short- and long-term carbohydrate reserves and have been associated with abiotic stress tolerance in graminean species...
- Dietary triggers of abdominal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: randomized placebo-controlled evidenceSusan J Shepherd
Department of Gastroenterology and Monash University Department of Medicine, Box Hill Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:765-71. 2008....
- Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei 8700:2 degrades inulin-type fructans exhibiting different degrees of polymerizationLefteris Makras
Research Group of Industrial Microbiology, Fermentation Technology and Downstream Processing IMDO, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:6531-7. 2005Ten strains of lactobacilli were assessed for their capacity to degrade inulin-type fructans, which are well-known prebiotics. Both oligofructose and inulin were tested...
- Water-soluble carbohydrates and fructan structure patterns from Agave and Dasylirion speciesN Alejandra Mancilla-Margalli
Departamento de Biotecnologia y Bioquimica, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Campus Guanajuato, Apartado Postal 629, Irapuato, Gto, 36500 Mexico
J Agric Food Chem 54:7832-9. 2006b>Fructans, storage carbohydrates with beta-fructofuranosyl linkages, are found in approximately 15% of higher plants...
- Transgenic tobacco plants accumulating osmolytes show reduced oxidative damage under freezing stressDaniela Parvanova
Abiotic Stress Tolerance and Echophysiology, AgroBioInstitute, Institute of Cryobiology and Food Technology, Sofia, Bulgaria
Plant Physiol Biochem 42:57-63. 2004..Our lines and model system could serve as a good prerequisite for additional studies to gain further insights into the complex role of osmoprotectants in freezing tolerance...
- Coordinated expression of functionally diverse fructosyltransferase genes is associated with fructan accumulation in response to low temperature in perennial ryegrassHiroshi Hisano
Research Faculty of Agriculture, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 8589, Japan
New Phytol 178:766-80. 2008..Thus at least two different patterns of gene expression have developed during the evolution of functionally diverse FT genes, which are associated in a coordinated way with fructan synthesis in a cold environment...
- Current data with inulin-type fructans and calcium, targeting bone health in adultsVeronique Coxam
Unité de Nutrition Humaine UMR1019, Equipe Alimentation Squelette et Métabolismes INRA Theix, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Nutr 137:2527S-2533S. 2007..and this process may be susceptible to dietary manipulation by fermentable substrates, especially inulin-type fructans. Inulin-type fructans can modulate calcium absorption because they are resistant to hydrolysis by mammalian ..
- Improved fructan accumulation in perennial ryegrass transformed with the onion fructosyltransferase genes 1-SST and 6G-FFTGitte Gadegaard
Department of Biosystems, Risoe National Laboratory, Roskilde, Denmark
J Plant Physiol 165:1214-25. 2008..Further, the high fructan content was stable during the growth period, whereas the fructan content in an elite variety, marketed as a high sugar variety, dropped rapidly after reaching its maximum and subsequently remained low...
- The effect of fructan on membrane lipid organization and dynamics in the dry stateIngrid J Vereyken
Department Biochemistry of Membranes, CBLE, Institute of Biomembranes, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Biophys J 84:3759-66. 2003b>Fructans are a group of fructose-based oligo- and polysaccharides, which appear to be involved in membrane preservation during dehydration by interacting with the membrane lipids...
- Fermentation products of inulin-type fructans reduce proliferation and induce apoptosis in human colon tumour cells of different stages of carcinogenesisUmang Munjal
Department of Nutritional Toxicology, Institute for Nutrition, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Dornburger Strasse 24, 07743 Jena, Germany
Br J Nutr 102:663-71. 2009..Moreover, since early adenoma cells were found to be more sensitive, this may have important implications for chemoprevention when translated to the in vivo situation, because survival of early transformed cells could be reduced...
- Experimental evidences on the potential of prebiotic fructans to reduce the risk of colon cancerB Pool-Zobel
Institute for Nutrition, Department of Nutritional Toxicology, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany
Br J Nutr 87:S273-81. 2002Inulin is extracted from the chicory root. It is a set of fructans with its monomers linked by means of beta(2-1) bonds...
- Fructans insert between the headgroups of phospholipidsI J Vereyken
Department of Biochemistry of Membranes, CBLE, Institute of Biomembranes, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1510:307-20. 2001b>Fructans are polysaccharides consisting of one glucose unit and two or more fructose units. It was hypothesized that fructans play a role in drought tolerance in plants by interacting directly with the membrane...
- Fructosyltransferase mutants specify a function for the beta-fructosidase motif of the sucrose-binding box in specifying the fructan type synthesizedTita Ritsema
Department of Molecular Plant Physiology, University Utrecht, Padualaan 8, CH, The Netherlands
Plant Mol Biol 54:853-63. 2004The onion fructosyltransferase fructan:fructan 6G-fructosyltransferase (6G-FFT) synthesizes fructans of the inulin neo-series using 1-kestose as a substrate...
- Cloning and functional analysis of a fructosyltransferase cDNA for synthesis of highly polymerized levans in timothy (Phleum pratense L.)Ken ichi Tamura
National Agricultural Research Center for Hokkaido Region, Hitsujigaoka 1, Toyohira, Sapporo 062 8555, Japan
J Exp Bot 60:893-905. 2009Variation in the structures of plant fructans and their degree of polymerization (DP) can be explained as the result of diverse combinations of fructosyltransferases (FTs) with different properties...
- Molecular and functional characterization of a cDNA encoding fructan:fructan 6G-fructosyltransferase (6G-FFT)/fructan:fructan 1-fructosyltransferase (1-FFT) from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.)Bertrand Lasseur
UMR INRA UCN 950 EVA Ecophysiologie Végétale, Agronomie et Nutritions NCS, Universite de Caen, Esplanade de la Paix, F 14032 Caen Cedex, France
J Exp Bot 57:2719-34. 2006b>Fructans are the main storage compound in Lolium perenne. To account for the prevailing neokestose-based fructan synthesis in this species, a cDNA library of L...
- Cloning, gene mapping, and functional analysis of a fructan 1-exohydrolase (1-FEH) from Lolium perenne implicated in fructan synthesis rather than in fructan mobilizationJérémy Lothier
UMR INRA UCBN 950 EVA Ecophysiologie Végétale, Agronomie et Nutritions NCS, Universite de Caen, Esplanade de la Paix, 14032 Caen Cedex, France
J Exp Bot 58:1969-83. 2007b>Fructans, which are beta-(2,1) and/or beta-(2,6) linked polymers of fructose, are important storage carbohydrates in many plants. They are mobilized via fructan exohydrolases (FEHs)...
- Purification, cloning and functional characterization of a fructan 6-exohydrolase from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)Liesbet Van Riet
Laboratory of Molecular Plant Physiology, Institute of Botany and Microbiology, K U Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 31, B 3001 Leuven, Belgium
J Exp Bot 57:213-23. 2006b>Fructans, beta2-1 and/or beta2-6 linked polymers of fructose, are produced by fructosyltransferases (FTs) from sucrose. They are important storage carbohydrates in many plants...
- Dietary fructans, but not cellulose, decrease triglyceride accumulation in the liver of obese Zucker fa/fa ratsCatherine Daubioul
Unit of Pharmacokinetics, Metabolism, Nutrition and Toxicology, 7369 School of Pharmacy, Universite Catholique de Louvain, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Nutr 132:967-73. 2002..The high fermentation of fructans compared with cellulose was reflected by greater cecal contents and by a twofold greater propionate concentration ..
- Molecular cloning and functional analysis of a novel 6&1-FEH from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) preferentially degrading small graminans like bifurcoseAkira Kawakami
National Agricultural Research Center for Hokkaido Region, Hitsujigaoka, Sapporo, 062 8555, Japan
Gene 358:93-101. 2005Like barley and other cereals, wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) accumulates branched graminan-type fructans containing both beta-(2,1) and beta-(2,6) fructosyl linkages, mainly with a quite low degree of polymerization (DP)...
- selective production and characterization of levan by Bacillus subtilis (Natto) TakahashiIng Lung Shih
Department of Environmental Engineering, Da Yeh University, Chang Hwa, Taiwan
J Agric Food Chem 53:8211-5. 2005..subtilis strains tested and, as previously reported, it produced the highest yield of levan in the least time (21 h) under the common cultivation condition...
- Hierarchical metabolomics demonstrates substantial compositional similarity between genetically modified and conventional potato cropsGareth S Catchpole
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, D 14424 Golm, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:14458-62. 2005..We show that, apart from targeted changes, these GM potatoes in this study appear substantially equivalent to traditional cultivars...
- A combination of prebiotic short- and long-chain inulin-type fructans enhances calcium absorption and bone mineralization in young adolescentsSteven A Abrams
US Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 82:471-6. 2005Short-term studies in adolescents have generally shown an enhancement of calcium absorption by inulin-type fructans (prebiotics)...
- Cloning and functional analysis of a high DP fructan:fructan 1-fructosyl transferase from Echinops ritro (Asteraceae): comparison of the native and recombinant enzymesWim Van den Ende
KU Leuven, Laboratory of Molecular Plant Physiology, Kasteelpark Arenberg 31, B 3001 Leuven, Belgium
J Exp Bot 57:775-89. 2006Inulin-type fructans are the simplest and most studied fructans and have become increasingly popular as prebiotic health-improving compounds...
- Effect of water stress on proline accumulation of genetically modified potatoes (Solanum tuberosum L.) generating fructansGabriele Knipp
University Institute of Crop Science and Plant Breeding I, Justus Liebig University Giessen Germany
J Plant Physiol 163:392-7. 2006..the effect of water stress on the accumulation of proline in the leaves of transgenic potato lines generating fructans. The results of the series of bifactorial experiments in 2002 and 2003 indicated an increase of the proline level ..
- Fructans from oat and rye: composition and effects on membrane stability during dryingDirk K Hincha
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, D 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:1611-9. 2007b>Fructans have been implicated in the abiotic stress tolerance of many plant species, including grasses and cereals...
- Chromium(III) propionate and dietary fructans supplementation stimulate erythrocyte glucose uptake and beta-oxidation in lymphocytes of ratsTomasz Kuryl
Department of Physiological Sciences, Veterinary Medicine Faculty, Agricultural University, 02 787 Warsaw, Poland
Biol Trace Elem Res 114:237-48. 2006The study describes the effects of 10-wk dietary supplementation with fructans (inulin and oligofructose, 5% and 10%, respectively) as well as the biomimetic Cr(III) propionate complex (0...
- The rice genome encodes two vacuolar invertases with fructan exohydrolase activity but lacks the related fructan biosynthesis genes of the PooideaeXuemei Ji
Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biochemistry Division, International Rice Research Institute, DAPO Box 7777, Metro Manila, Philippines
New Phytol 173:50-62. 2007b>Fructans are believed to contribute to cold and drought tolerance in several plant families (Poaceae, Asparagaceae and Asteraceae), but it is not clear why the ability to accumulate these polymers is found in some genera (e.g...
- The effect of fructan on the phospholipid organization in the dry stateIngrid J Vereyken
Department Biochemistry of Membranes, Institute of Biomembranes, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biophys J 85:3058-65. 2003b>Fructans, a family of oligo- and polyfructoses, are implicated to play a drought-protecting role in plants. Inulin-type fructan is able to preserve the membrane barrier during dehydration...
- Developing fructan-synthesizing capability in a plant invertase via mutations in the sucrose-binding boxTita Ritsema
Zurich Basel Plant Science Center, Botanisches Institut der Universität Basel, Hebelstrasse 1, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Plant J 48:228-37. 2006b>Fructans are fructose polymers that are synthesized from sucrose by fructosyltransferases. Fructosyltransferases are present in unrelated plant families suggesting a polyphyletic origin for their transglycosylation activity...
- Hydrolase and fructosyltransferase activities implicated in the accumulation of different chain size fructans in three Asteraceae speciesNair M Itaya
Seção de Fisiologia e Bioquímica de Plantas, Instituto de Botânica, Caixa Postal 3005, 01061 970 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Plant Physiol Biochem 45:647-56. 2007b>Fructans are widely distributed in Asteraceae from floras with seasonal growth and are thought to be involved in drought and freezing tolerance, in addition to storage function...
- Calcium is essential for fructan synthesis induction mediated by sucrose in wheatGiselle Martínez-Noël
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Fundación para Investigaciones Biológicas Aplicadas FIBA, Vieytes 3103, 7600 Mar del Plata, Argentina
Planta 225:183-91. 2006..Our results support the hypothesis that calcium is a component of the sucrose signaling pathway that leads to the induction of fructan synthesis...
- Coculture fermentations of Bifidobacterium species and Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron reveal a mechanistic insight into the prebiotic effect of inulin-type fructansGwen Falony
Research Group of Industrial Microbiology and Food Biotechnology IMDO, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:2312-9. 2009..subgroups within the large-intestinal Bifidobacterium population will be stimulated by different groups of prebiotic inulin-type fructans, a variation that could be reflected in differences concerning their health-promoting effects.
- Fructan:fructan 1-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme for biosynthesis of graminan oligomers in hardened wheatAkira Kawakami
Laboratory of Fungal Disease, Department of Plant Pathology, National Agricultural Research Center, Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8666, Japan
Planta 223:90-104. 2005b>Fructans play important roles not only as a carbon source for survival under persistent snow cover but also as agents that protect against various stresses in overwintering plants...
- Effects of fructans-type prebiotics on lipid metabolismN M Delzenne
UCL Université Catholique de Louvain, School of Pharmacy, Brussels
Am J Clin Nutr 73:456S-458S. 2001..Oligofructose, which is a mixture of nondigestible and fermentable fructans, can decrease triacylglycerol in VLDL when given to rats...
- Fate of fructose supplied to leaf sheaths after defoliation of Lolium perenne L.: assessment by 13C-fructose labellingVéronique Amiard
UMR INRA UCBN Physiologie et Biochimie Végétales, IRBA, Universite de Caen, Esplanade de la Paix, F 14032 Caen Cedex, France
J Exp Bot 54:1231-43. 2003The role of fructans from leaf sheaths for the refoliation of Lolium perenne after severe defoliation was assessed by following the fate of (13)C-fructose supplied to leaf sheaths at the time of defoliation...
- Structural requirements of the fructan-lipid interactionIngrid J Vereyken
Department Biochemistry of Membranes, Center for Biomembranes, Lipids, and Enzymology, Institute of Biomembranes, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biophys J 84:3147-54. 2003b>Fructans are a group of fructose-based oligo- and polysaccharides. They are proposed to be involved in membrane protection of plants during dehydration...
- Fructans in the diet cause alterations of intestinal mucosal architecture, released mucins and mucosa-associated bifidobacteria in gnotobiotic ratsBrigitta Kleessen
German Institute of Human Nutrition DIfE Potsdam Rehbrucke, D 14558 Bergholz Rehbrücke, Germany
Br J Nutr 89:597-606. 2003The effects of fructans in the diet on the mucosal morphometry (height of villi, depth of the crypts, number of goblet cells), the thickness of the epithelial mucus layer and the histochemical composition of intestinal mucosubstances in ..
- Plant fructan exohydrolases: a role in signaling and defense?Wim Van den Ende
KU Leuven, Institute of Botany and Microbiology, Laboratory of Molecular Plant Physiology, Kasteelpark Arenberg 31, B 3001 Heverlee, Belgium
Trends Plant Sci 9:523-8. 2004b>Fructans are fructose oligomers and polymers synthesized by a small number of plant and bacterial species and mainly function as reserve carbohydrates...
- Protein kinase and phosphatase activities are involved in fructan synthesis initiation mediated by sugarsG M Noël
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Fundacións para Investigaciones Biológicas Aplicadas FIBA, Mar del Plata, Argentina
Planta 213:640-6. 2001..Our data indicate that protein kinase and protein phosphatase activities take part in the chain of events that intervenes in the induction of fructan synthesis by sugars...
- Disaccharide-mediated regulation of sucrose:fructan-6-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme of fructan synthesis in barley leavesJ Muller
Botanisches Institut der Universität Basel, Hebelstrasse 1, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Plant Physiol 123:265-74. 2000....
- Engineering fructan metabolism in plantsTita Ritsema
Molecular Plant Physiology, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Plant Physiol 160:811-20. 2003b>Fructans, or polyfructosylsucroses, are storage carbohydrates present in many higher plants. They are also considered healthy food ingredients...
- Specific effects of fructo- and gluco-oligosaccharides in the preservation of liposomes during dryingDirk K Hincha
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, D 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Glycobiology 12:103-10. 2002..However, it has been unclear whether fructans have properties that make them better protectants for cellular structures than other sugars...
- Differences in chain length distribution of inulin from Cynara scolymus and Helianthus tuberosus are reflected in a transient plant expression system using the respective 1-FFT cDNAsE M Hellwege
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Golm, Germany
FEBS Lett 427:25-8. 1998..23, whereas parallel experiments performed using a 1-FFT cDNA from Jerusalem artichoke led to the production of fructans with a DP of up to only 12...
- Cloning of the fructan biosynthesis pathway of Jerusalem artichokeI M van der Meer
DLO Centre for Plant Breeding and Reproduction Research CPRO DLO, Department of Cell Biology, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Plant J 15:489-500. 1998..In tubers, the spatial and developmental expression correlates with the accumulation of fructans. Using the 1-sst and 1-fft cDNAs, chimeric genes were constructed driven by the CaMV 35S promoter...
- Fructan biosynthesis in transgenic plantsAndrew J Cairns
Plant Breeding Department, Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research, Plas Gogerddan, Aberystwyth SY23 3EB, Wales, UK
J Exp Bot 54:549-67. 2003..This implies a direct influence of the intracellular environment on the capacity for polymerization of fructosyltransferases and may have implications for the mechanism of natural fructan polymerization in vivo...
- Pet food and feed applications of inulin, oligofructose and other oligosaccharidesE A Flickinger
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, 132 Animal Sciences Laboratory, 1207 W Gregory Drive, Urbana 61801, USA
Br J Nutr 87:S297-300. 2002..Research to date indicates positive effects of prebiotics on health status and performance of companion animals, livestock, and poultry...
- Dietary fructansM B Roberfroid
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Brussels, Belgium
Annu Rev Nutr 18:117-43. 1998..This review focuses on the fate of inulin-type fructans (namely native chicory inulin, oligofructose produced by the partial enzymatic hydrolysis of chicory inulin, and ..
- Impact of Diet on Intestinal Microbiota-Host DynamicsJustin Sonnenburg; Fiscal Year: 2013..function of an operon conserved in Bacteroides required for use of abundant dietary plant polysaccharides called fructans;(ii) determine how model microbiotas composed of bacterial species with differing relative abilities to utilize ..
- Genomic and metabolomic foundations of human-microbial symbiosis in the gutJEFFREY IVAN GORDON; Fiscal Year: 2013..species to be sequenced);(ii) colonize GF mice fed standard polysaccharide-rich chow, a chow enriched for fructans, or a high fat Western diet with B. theta and/or M...
- GENETICS OF ORAL MICROFLORAFRANCIS MACRINA; Fiscal Year: 2000..containing epitopes from the glucan-binding protein; (3) to determine that sucrose-derived glucans, and not fructans, are endocarditis virulence determinants and that attachment of these polymers to bacteria via GTF and glucan ..
- Regulation of Streptococcus mutans Virulence by covR/SGrace Spatafora; Fiscal Year: 2003..covR/S homologs in the regulation of fructosyltransferases (ftf) that mediate the sucrose-dependent production of fructans necessary for bacterial adherence to the tooth pellicle. Since S...
- STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANS GENES IMPORTANT TO VIRULENCEMichael Hudson; Fiscal Year: 1992..The second aim of the work is to understand how the synthesis and breakdown of fructans (fructose polymers) contribute to S. mutans pathogenicity...
- Effects of Natural Agents with Fluoride on CariesHyun Koo; Fiscal Year: 2004....