Genomes and Genes
Summary: A broad-spectrum antibiotic derived from KANAMYCIN. It is reno- and oto-toxic like the other aminoglycoside antibiotics.
Publications288 found, 100 shown here
- Biofilm penetration, triggered release and in vivo activity of inhaled liposomal amikacin in chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa lung infectionsP Meers
Transave, Inc, 11 Deer Park Dr, Suite 117, Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:859-68. 2008..We have investigated the biofilm penetration, mechanism of drug release and in vivo antimicrobial activity of a unique nanoscale liposomal formulation of amikacin designed specifically for nebulization and inhaled delivery.
- Evaluation of genetic mutations associated with Mycobacterium tuberculosis resistance to amikacin, kanamycin and capreomycin: a systematic reviewSophia B Georghiou
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e33275. 2012..this relationship is well established and reliable for first-line anti-TB drugs, rifampin and isoniazid, it is less well-studied and understood for second-line, injectable drugs, amikacin (AMK), kanamycin (KAN) and capreomycin (CAP).
- Thiolated chitosan nanoparticles as an oral delivery system for Amikacin: in vitro and ex vivo evaluationsF Atyabi
Novel Drug Delivery Systems Lab, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran 14155 6451, Iran
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 9:4593-603. 2009..TPP gelation yields smaller, more spherical shaped nanoparticles with a smaller range of size distribution. Amikacin loaded nanoparticles with an average size of 280 nm were prepared by TPP gelation in which disulfide bond ..
- High level of cross-resistance between kanamycin, amikacin, and capreomycin among Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Georgia and a close relation with mutations in the rrs geneLevan Jugheli
Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:5064-8. 2009The aminoglycosides kanamycin and amikacin and the macrocyclic peptide capreomycin are key drugs for the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)...
- Discordant resistance to kanamycin and amikacin in drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosisAnnika Kruuner
Department of Bacteriology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Contro, Microbiology and Tumor Biology Center, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2971-3. 2003..that there is full cross-resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis between the aminoglycoside drugs kanamycin and amikacin. However, kanamycin resistance and amikacin susceptibility were seen in 43 of 79 (54%) multidrug-resistant ..
- Overexpression of the chromosomally encoded aminoglycoside acetyltransferase eis confers kanamycin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisM Analise Zaunbrecher
Microbiology and Molecular Genetics Graduate Program, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Rollins Research Center, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:20004-9. 2009..The aminoglycosides kanamycin and amikacin are important bactericidal drugs used to treat MDR TB, and resistance to one or both of these drugs is a defining ..
- Comparison of clinical isolates and in vitro selected mutants reveals that tlyA is not a sensitive genetic marker for capreomycin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisAnna Engström
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control SMI, Solna, Sweden
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1247-54. 2011..cross-resistance and drug-resistance mechanisms for the cyclic peptide capreomycin and the aminoglycosides amikacin and kanamycin by comparing genotypes and phenotypes of clinical isolates and in vitro selected mutants of ..
- Adaptive resistance to benzalkonium chloride, amikacin and tobramycin: the effect on susceptibility to other antimicrobialsJ A Joynson
Kings College London, Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire, UK
J Appl Microbiol 93:96-107. 2002To produce strains of antimicrobial-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa via adaptation to benzalkonium chloride, amikacin and tobramycin and to then examine the incidence, or otherwise, of cross-resistance between antibiotics and between ..
- Molecular analysis of cross-resistance to capreomycin, kanamycin, amikacin, and viomycin in Mycobacterium tuberculosisCourtney E Maus
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mailstop G35, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3192-7. 2005Capreomycin, kanamycin, amikacin, and viomycin are drugs that are used to treat multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Each inhibits translation, and cross-resistance to them is a concern during therapy...
- In vitro and in vivo activities of rifampin, streptomycin, amikacin, moxifloxacin, R207910, linezolid, and PA-824 against Mycobacterium ulceransBaohong Ji
Bactériologie Hygiène, Faculte de Medecine Pierre et Marie Curie, Universite Paris 6, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:1921-6. 2006..demonstrated the lowest MIC(50) and MIC(90), followed by moxifloxacin (MXF), streptomycin (STR), rifampin (RIF), amikacin (AMK), linezolid (LZD), and PA-824...
- A prospective comparative study of gentamicin- and amikacin-induced nephrotoxicity in patients with normal baseline renal functionWaleed M Sweileh
Clinical Pharmacology, An Najah National University, Nablus, Palestine
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 23:515-20. 2009The aim of this study was to compare the nephrotoxic potential of amikacin (AK) and gentamicin (GM) in patients with normal baseline renal function...
- Comparison of the next-generation aminoglycoside plazomicin to gentamicin, tobramycin and amikacinGeorge G Zhanel
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada ca
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 10:459-73. 2012....
- Effects of subinhibitory concentrations of amikacin and ciprofloxacin on the hydrophobicity and adherence to epithelial cells of uropathogenic Escherichia coli strainsDorota Wojnicz
Department of Biology and Medical Parasitology, Medical University of Wroclaw, Mikulicza Radeckiego 9, 50 367 Wroclaw, Poland
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:700-4. 2007The effect of subinhibitory concentrations of amikacin and ciprofloxacin on the hydrophobicity and adherence to uroepithelial cells of Escherichia coli strains was investigated...
- Nebulized ceftazidime and amikacin in ventilator-associated pneumonia caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosaQin Lu
Multidisciplinary Intensive Care Unit Pierre Viars, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, La Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:106-15. 2011..In experimental pneumonia, nebulization of antibiotics provides high lung tissue concentrations and rapid bacterial killing...
- Multicenter evaluation of Bactec MGIT 960 system for second-line drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complexS Y Grace Lin
Microbial Diseases Laboratory, CDPH, 850 Marina Bay Parkway, Richmond, CA 94804, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:3630-4. 2009..The four drugs studied were levofloxacin, amikacin, capreomycin, and ethionamide. The critical concentration established for levofloxacin and amikacin was 1...
- Molecular detection of mutations associated with first- and second-line drug resistance compared with conventional drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosisPatricia J Campbell
Mycobacteriology Laboratory Branch, Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Bldg 17, Room 4029, M S F08, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:2032-41. 2011..drugs isoniazid (INH), rifampin (RIF), pyrazinamide (PZA), and ethambutol (EMB) and the second-line drugs amikacin (AMK), capreomycin (CAP), kanamycin (KAN), ciprofloxacin (CIP), and ofloxacin (OFX)...
- Occurrence and mechanisms of amikacin resistance and its association with beta-lactamases in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a Korean nationwide studyJa Young Kim
Department of Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:479-83. 2008We investigated the occurrence and mechanism of amikacin resistance and its association with various beta-lactamase genes in Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates.
- Sequence analyses of just four genes to detect extensively drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patients undergoing treatmentSilke Feuerriegel
Research Center Borstel, National Reference Center for Mycobacteria, Parkallee 18, 23845 Borstel, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:3353-6. 2009..we analyzed Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains resistant to ofloxacin (n = 26) and to capreomycin and/or amikacin (n = 48) from Uzbekistan for variations in target genes (gyrA, gyrB, rrs, and tlyA)...
- Mechanism of resistance to amikacin and kanamycin in Mycobacterium tuberculosisG J Alangaden
Division of Infectious Diseases, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 42:1295-7. 1998..was identified in Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) strain ATCC 35827 and in 13 MTB clinical isolates resistant to amikacin-kanamycin (MICs, >128 microg/ml)...
- Further increases in carbapenem-, amikacin-, and fluoroquinolone-resistant isolates of Acinetobacter spp. and P. aeruginosa in Korea: KONSAR study 2009Kyungwon Lee
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Yonsei Med J 52:793-802. 2011..The aim of this study was to analyze antimicrobial resistance data generated in 2009 by hospitals and commercial laboratories participating in the Korean Nationwide Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance program...
- Bactericidal activity of rifampin-amikacin against Mycobacterium ulcerans in miceHerve Dega
Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Service de Bacteriologie et Hygiene, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3193-6. 2002..five doses weekly of one of the following regimens: (i) 10 mg of RIF/kg alone; (ii) 10 mg of RIF/kg and 100 mg of amikacin (AMK)/kg; and (iii) 10 mg of RIF/kg, 100 mg of clarithromycin (CLR)/kg, and 50 mg of sparfloxacin (SPX)/kg...
- Aminoglycoside toxicity: daily versus thrice-weekly dosing for treatment of mycobacterial diseasesCharles A Peloquin
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:1538-44. 2004..by drug to receive 15 mg/kg per day or 25 mg/kg 3 times per week of intravenous streptomycin, kanamycin, or amikacin. Doses were adjusted to achieve target serum concentrations...
- Clinical doses of amikacin provide more effective suppression of the human CFTR-G542X stop mutation than gentamicin in a transgenic CF mouse modelMing Du
Department of Microbiology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 2170, USA
J Mol Med (Berl) 84:573-82. 2006..To address this problem, we identified doses of both gentamicin and amikacin that resulted in peak serum levels within their accepted clinical ranges...
- Rapid diagnosis of drug resistance to fluoroquinolones, amikacin, capreomycin, kanamycin and ethambutol using genotype MTBDRsl assay: a meta-analysisYan Feng
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e55292. 2013..to synthesize the latest data on the diagnostic accuracy of GenoType MTBDRsl in detecting drug resistance to fluoroquinolones, amikacin, capreomycin, kanamycin and ethambutol, in comparison with the phenotypic drug susceptibility test.
- Differential antibiotic susceptibility of Mycobacterium abscessus variants in biofilms and macrophages compared to that of planktonic bacteriaRebecca Greendyke
The University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2019-26. 2008..b>Amikacin, cefoxitin, and clarithromycin are standard therapies for this infection...
- Modulation of melanogenesis and antioxidant defense system in melanocytes by amikacinDorota Wrześniok
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University of Silesia, Jagiellonska 4, PL 41 200 Sosnowiec, Poland
Toxicol In Vitro 27:1102-8. 2013b>Amikacin is principally used to treat infections caused by microorganisms resistant to other aminoglycosides...
- Ototoxicity and otoprotection in the inner ear of guinea pigs using gentamicin and amikacin: ultrastructural and functional aspectsThomaz José Marra de Aquino
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Otorrinolaringologia e Cirurgia de Cabeca e Pescoco, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 74:843-52. 2008..The discovery of self-protecting endogenous mechanisms of the outer hair cells associated with their functional and ultra-structural assessment methods has opened new horizons in the understanding and controlling of these mechanisms...
- Mutations in the rrs A1401G gene and phenotypic resistance to amikacin and capreomycin in Mycobacterium tuberculosisFrederick A Sirgel
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical TB Research MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Health Science, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
Microb Drug Resist 18:193-7. 2012The aminoglycosides amikacin (AMK)/kanamycin (KAN) and the cyclic polypeptide capreomycin (CAP) are important injectable drugs in the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis...
- Adding amikacin to fluoroquinolone-based antimicrobial prophylaxis reduces prostate biopsy infection ratesDeepak Batura
Department of Urology, Northwick Park Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 107:760-4. 2011To examine the efficacy of adding amikacin to fluoroquinolone-based antimicrobial prophylaxis in preventing transrectal ultrasonography-guided prostate biopsy (TGB) associated infections.
- Spread of amikacin resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii strains isolated in Spain due to an epidemic strainJ Vila
Department de Microbiologia, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 37:758-61. 1999Sixteen amikacin-resistant clinical Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from nine different hospitals in Spain were investigated to determine whether the high incidence of amikacin-resistant A...
- Efficacy and tolerability of piperacillin/tazobactam versus ceftazidime in association with amikacin for treating nosocomial pneumonia in intensive care patients: a prospective randomized multicenter trialF Alvarez-Lerma
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital del Mar, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Passeig MarÃtim 25 29, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Intensive Care Med 27:493-502. 2001..and bacteriological efficacy as well as tolerability of two regimens of broad-spectrum antibiotics (ceftazidime versus piperacillin/tazobactam) combined with amikacin in the treatment of nosocomial pneumonia in intensive care patients.
- Effect of the combination of clarithromycin and amikacin on Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm in an animal model of ureteral stent infectionOscar Cirioni
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, Università Politecnica delle Marche Ospedali Riuniti, Ancona, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1318-23. 2011An experimental study was performed to evaluate both in vitro and in vivo the efficacy of clarithromycin coating combined with systemic amikacin in preventing ureteral stent biofilm infection due to Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Expression of the MexXY efflux pump in amikacin-resistant isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosaS Islam
Division of Clinical Bacteriology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:877-83. 2004..b>Amikacin-resistant (AR) mutants were generated from P. aeruginosa strain PAO1, and clinical isolates of P...
- Quantitative assessment of combination antimicrobial therapy against multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumanniiTze Peng Lim
Singapore General Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2898-904. 2008..clinical isolate of Acinetobacter baumannii with escalating concentrations of cefepime (0 to 512 mg/liter), amikacin (0 to 256 mg/liter), and levofloxacin (0 to 64 mg/liter)...
- A multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial comparing piperacillin-tazobactam with and without amikacin as empiric therapy for febrile neutropeniaA Del Favero
Istituto Medicina Interna e Scienze Oncologiche, UniversitÃ di Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 33:1295-301. 2001..5 g 3 times daily intravenously) plus placebo versus piperacillin-tazobactam plus amikacin (7...
- Outbreak of Nocardia keratitis after photorefractive keratectomy: clinical, microbiological, histopathological, and confocal scan studyMohammad Ali Javadi
Labbafinejad Ophthalmic Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti Medical University, Tehran, Iran
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:393-8. 2009..All eyes responded favorably to topical amikacin and the infection resolved without recurrence...
- A cluster of Nocardia keratitis after LASIKPrashant Garg
Cornea and Anterior Segment Service, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
J Refract Surg 23:309-12. 2007..To report a cluster of Nocardia asteroides keratitis cases after LASIK...
- In vitro activity of ciprofloxacin, sparfloxacin, ofloxacin, amikacin and rifampicin against Ghanaian isolates of Mycobacterium ulceransH S Thangaraj
Division of Infectious Diseases, St George s Hospital Medical School, London SW17 0RE, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 45:231-3. 2000MICs of ciprofloxacin, sparfloxacin, ofloxacin, amikacin and rifampicin were determined for 14 primary clinical isolates and three reference isolates of Mycobacterium ulcerans by modifying a standard agar dilution method for testing ..
- Amikacin-induced type 5 Bartter-like syndrome with severe hypocalcemiaA Chrispal
Department of Medicine II, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
J Postgrad Med 55:208-10. 2009..We discuss a patient who developed severe renal tubular dysfunction secondary to short-term therapy with Amikacin, resulting in refractory hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypomagnesemia, metabolic alkalosis, and polyuria...
- Inhibition of aac(6')-Ib-mediated amikacin resistance by nuclease-resistant external guide sequences in bacteriaAlfonso J C Soler Bistué
Fundacion Instituto Leloir, Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquímicas de Buenos Aires, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas and Departamento de Química Biológica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Patricias Argentinas 435, C1405BWE Buenos Aires, Argentina
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13230-5. 2009..The rise in multiresistant bacteria harboring AAC(6')-Ib has seriously limited the effectiveness of amikacin and other aminoglycosides...
- In vitro studies of amikacin-loaded human carrier erythrocytesCarmen Gutiérrez Millán
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Transl Res 152:59-66. 2008..In this study, the encapsulation of amikacin by human carrier erythrocytes prepared using a hypo-osmotic dialysis was investigated...
- A gamma scintigraphy study to investigate lung deposition and clearance of inhaled amikacin-loaded liposomes in healthy male volunteersJeffry Weers
Transave, Inc, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey, USA
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 22:131-8. 2009The purpose of this study was to investigate the inhalation of a liposomal formulation of amikacin in healthy male volunteers in terms of pulmonary deposition, clearance, and safety following nebulization with a commercial jet nebulizer.
- Curing Mycobacterium ulcerans infection in mice with a combination of rifampin-streptomycin or rifampin-amikacinSébastien Lefrançois
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie Hygiene, Faculte de Medecine Pierre et Marie Curie, Universite Paris 6, and CNRM et de la Résistance aux Antituberculeux, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hôpital de Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:645-50. 2007..of various durations of treatment with a combination of rifampin (RIF) and either streptomycin (STR) or amikacin (AMK) in murine Mycobacterium ulcerans infection were compared in two experiments...
- Pharmacokinetics of a loading dose of amikacin in septic patients undergoing continuous renal replacement therapyFabio Silvio Taccone
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Antimicrob Agents 37:531-5. 2011Data on the optimal amikacin regimen during continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) are scarce and the proposed loading dose of 10mg/kg may result in inadequate drug levels...
- Stability and antimicrobial effect of amikacin-loaded solid lipid nanoparticlesSolmaz Ghaffari
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy and Isfahan Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Int J Nanomedicine 6:35-43. 2011Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLNs) of amikacin were designed in this study for pulmonary delivery to reduce the dose or its administration intervals leading to reduction of its toxicities especially in long term treatment...
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of liposomal amikacin for inhalation in cystic fibrosis patients with chronic pseudomonal infectionOlanrewaju O Okusanya
Institute for Clinical Pharmacodynamics, Ordway Research Institute, Inc, Albany, New York, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:3847-54. 2009The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of a novel liposomal amikacin for inhalation were evaluated in cystic fibrosis patients with chronic pseudomonas infection...
- Individualised dosing of amikacin in neonates: a pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic analysisCatherine M T Sherwin
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Avenue, MLC 6018, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 65:705-13. 2009To examine the pharmacokinetics of amikacin and its pharmacokinetic pharmacodynamic (PKPD) relationship in neonates. To develop an alternative dosing strategy for amikacin in neonates.
- Mutant APH(2'')-IIa enzymes with increased activity against amikacin and isepamicinMarta Toth
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1590-5. 2010..generated R92H/D268N and N196D/D268N mutant enzymes, resulting in elevated levels of resistance to amikacin and isepamicin but not to other aminoglycoside antibiotics...
- Characterization of nebulized liposomal amikacin (Arikace) as a function of droplet sizeZhili Li
Transave, Inc, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey 08852, USA
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 21:245-54. 2008..g., central vs. peripheral). In this report, a liposomal amikacin formulation (Arikace, a registered trademark of Transave, Inc...
- Inhibition of aminoglycoside 6'-N-acetyltransferase type Ib-mediated amikacin resistance by antisense oligodeoxynucleotidesRenee Sarno
Department of Biological Science, College of Natural Science and Mathematics, California State University Fullerton, Fullerton, California 92834 6850, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:3296-304. 2003b>Amikacin has been very useful in the treatment of infections caused by multiresistant bacteria because it is refractory to the actions of most modifying enzymes...
- Antioxidant enzyme levels inversely covary with hearing loss after amikacin treatmentJames J Klemens
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, IL, USA
J Am Acad Audiol 14:134-43. 2003..For 28 days, albino guinea pigs were administered either 200 mg/kg/day amikacin, or saline subcutaneously...
- Relative pharmacokinetics of three amikacin brands in onco-hemotologic pediatric patients experiencing febrile neutropeinaMuhammad Jamshaid
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 28:1-6. 2003Three commercially available brands of amikacin were investigated in a parallel study design for the assessment of comparative pharmacokinetics in pediatric oncology patients with chemotherapy-induced neutropenic febrile episode...
- In vitro and in vivo synergy of levofloxacin or amikacin both in combination with ceftazidime against clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosaL Piccoli
Medicines Research Center, GlaxoSmithKline, Via A Fleming 4, Verona 37135, Italy
J Chemother 17:355-60. 2005..explore the antibacterial activity of the levofloxacin (LVX) and ceftazidime (CAZ) combination compared with the amikacin (AMK)/CAZ combination against Pseudomonas aeruginosa...
- Effects of clinical decision support on initial dosing and monitoring of tobramycin and amikacinZachary L Cox
Department of Pharmacy, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 68:624-32. 2011The impact of clinical decision support (CDS) on initial doses and intervals and pharmacokinetic outcomes of amikacin and tobramycin therapy was evaluated.
- Imipenem, doxycycline and amikacin in monotherapy and in combination in Acinetobacter baumannii experimental pneumoniaM J Rodriguez-Hernandez
Service of Infectious Diseases and Service of Microbiology, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio, Avenida Manuel Siurot s n, 41013 Seville, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 45:493-501. 2000..This model was used to compare the efficacy of imipenem, doxycycline and amikacin in monotherapy, and the combination of imipenem plus amikacin and doxycycline plus amikacin...
- n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids enhance the activities of ceftazidime and amikacin in experimental sepsis caused by multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosaEvangelos J Giamarellos-Bourboulis
4th Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4713-7. 2004..of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and arachidonic acid (AA) were administered intravenously with ceftazidime and amikacin in rabbits with sepsis caused by one multidrug-resistant isolate...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis rrs A1401G mutation correlates with high-level resistance to kanamycin, amikacin, and capreomycin in clinical isolates from mainland ChinaQinglin Du
Institute of Modern Biopharmaceuticals, State Key Laboratory Breeding Base of Eco Environment and Bio Resource of the Three Gorges Area, Key Laboratory of Ministry of Education Eco Environment of the Three Gorges Reservoir Region, School of Life Sciences, Southwest University, Beibei, Chongqing 400715, China
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 77:138-42. 2013..resistance level with the injectable second-line anti-tuberculosis drugs (SLDs) including kanamycin (KAN), amikacin (AMK), and capreomycin (CAP) remain elusive...
- External guide sequences targeting the aac(6')-Ib mRNA induce inhibition of amikacin resistanceAlfonso J C Soler Bistué
Department of Biological Science, College of Natural Science and Mathematics, California State University Fullerton, Fullerton, CA 92834 6850, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:1918-25. 2007The dissemination of AAC(6')-I-type acetyltransferases have rendered amikacin and other aminoglycosides all but useless in some parts of the world. Antisense technologies could be an alternative to extend the life of these antibiotics...
- Crystal structure of the bacterial ribosomal decoding site complexed with amikacin containing the gamma-amino-alpha-hydroxybutyryl (haba) groupJiro Kondo
Institut de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, UPR9002 CNRS, Universite Louis Pasteur, 15, rue René Descartes, 67084 Strasbourg, France
Biochimie 88:1027-31. 2006b>Amikacin is the 4,6-linked aminoglycoside modified at position N1 of the 2-deoxystreptamine ring (ring II) by the L-haba group...
- Aerosolized amikacin in patients with difficult-to-treat pulmonary nontuberculous mycobacteriosisA Safdar
Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:1883-7. 2012..Aerosolized amikacin (aeAmk) was given to nine patients who had failed standard combination oral antimycobacterial drugs...
- Interaction of neomycin, tobramycin and amikacin with melanin in vitro in relation to aminoglycosides-induced ototoxicityE Buszman
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University of Silesia, Sosnowiec, Poland
Pharmazie 62:210-5. 2007..The binding of neomycin, tobramycin and amikacin to model synthetic melanin was studied...
- The early bactericidal activity of amikacin in pulmonary tuberculosisP R Donald
Department of Paediatrics, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 5:533-8. 2001..OBJECTIVE: To determine the early bactericidal activity (EBA) of amikacin in dosages of 5 mg/kg, 10 mg/kg and 15 mg/kg body weight in comparison to that of isoniazid 6 mg/kg body weight ..
- Combined ciprofloxacin and amikacin prophylaxis in the prevention of septicemia after transrectal ultrasound guided biopsy of the prostateElijah O Kehinde
Department of Surgery Division of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
J Urol 189:911-5. 2013..2001 and 2005 when only oral ciprofloxacin was used prophylactically (group 1) to the incidence among patients undergoing biopsy between 2006 and 2010 when a single dose of intravenous amikacin was added to ciprofloxacin (group 2).
- Emergence and molecular characterization of extensively drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from the Delhi Region in IndiaAlka Khanna
Department of Biotechnology, New Drug Discovery Research, Ranbaxy Research Laboratories, Gurgaon, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:4789-93. 2010..and sequencing the following genes: rpoB (rifampin), katG (isoniazid), gyrA (fluoroquinolones), and rrs (amikacin, kanamycin, and capreomycin)...
- Synergistic activities of tigecycline with clarithromycin or amikacin against rapidly growing mycobacteria in TaiwanChien Wen Huang
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Fong Yuan Hospital, Taiwan Department of Health, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Int J Antimicrob Agents 41:218-23. 2013..Clarithromycin and amikacin were tested alone as well as for synergistic effect with tigecycline...
- Cell wall thickening is associated with adaptive resistance to amikacin in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolatesWenchang Yuan
Department of Microbiology, College of Basic Medical Sciences, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
J Antimicrob Chemother 68:1089-96. 2013..The mechanism of MRSA resistance to amikacin is poorly understood...
- Appearance of amikacin and tobramycin resistance due to 4'-aminoglycoside nucleotidyltransferase [ANT(4')-II] in gram-negative pathogensG A Jacoby
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 34:2381-6. 1990Following the use of amikacin as the principal aminoglycoside at a Denver hospital, amikacin resistance appeared first in Pseudomonas aeruginosa and then in Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, and other enteric organisms from ..
- BAY41-6551 achieves bactericidal tracheal aspirate amikacin concentrations in mechanically ventilated patients with Gram-negative pneumoniaMichael S Niederman
Department of Medicine, Winthrop University Hospital, 222 Station Plaza N, Suite 509, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Intensive Care Med 38:263-71. 2012..double-blind, phase II study of BAY41-6551 (NCT01004445), an investigational drug-device combination of amikacin, formulated for inhalation, and a proprietary Pulmonary Drug Delivery System, for the treatment of Gram-negative ..
- The major aminoglycoside-modifying enzyme AAC(3)-II found in Escherichia coli determines a significant disparity in its resistance to gentamicin and amikacin in ChinaYonghong Xiao
State Key Laboratory for Diagnosis and Treatment of Infectious Diseases, The First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Microb Drug Resist 18:42-6. 2012..However, less than 15% of isolates were resistant to amikacin and isepamicin. Of the gentamicin-resistant strains, 88.2% and 86...
- Aerosolized amikacin for treatment of pulmonary Mycobacterium avium infections: an observational case seriesKala K Davis
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
BMC Pulm Med 7:2. 2007..The addition of aerosolized amikacin to standard oral therapy for nontuberculous mycobacterial pulmonary infection may improve treatment efficacy ..
- Amikacin-induced acute renal injury in rats: protective role of melatoninHakan Parlakpinar
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine and Biology, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
J Pineal Res 35:85-90. 2003..pineal gland and a highly effective antioxidant and free radical scavenger, reduces the nephrotoxicity caused by amikacin (AK)...
- Once-daily amikacin dosing in burn patients treated with continuous venovenous hemofiltrationKevin S Akers
Infectious Disease Service, San Antonio Military Medical Center, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4639-42. 2011b>Amikacin clearance can be increased in burn injury, which is often complicated by renal insufficiency...
- Low-dose beta-lactam plus amikacin in febrile neutropenia: cefepime vs. piperacillin/tazobactam, a randomized trialL GÃ³mez
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Universitari Mutua de Terrassa, University of Barcelona, Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29:417-27. 2010..We performed a prospective, randomized trial to evaluate the efficacy of low-dose cefepime plus amikacin (C-A) compared to low-dose piperacillin/tazobactam plus amikacin (PT-A)...
- Comparative efficacies of liposomal amikacin (MiKasome) plus oxacillin versus conventional amikacin plus oxacillin in experimental endocarditis induced by Staphylococcus aureus: microbiological and echocardiographic analysesY Q Xiong
St John s Cardiovascular Research Center, LAC UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, California 90509, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:1737-42. 1999..aureus in vitro and in vivo. MiKasome, a new liposome-encapsulated formulation of conventional amikacin, significantly prolongs serum half-life (t1/2) and increases the area under the concentration-time curve (AUC) ..
- Serum cystatin C for the prediction of glomerular filtration rate with regard to the dose adjustment of amikacin, gentamicin, tobramycin, and vancomycinJesus Hermida
Laboratorio Central, Hospital Clinico Universitario, 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Ther Drug Monit 28:326-31. 2006..In 130 hospitalized patients who were administered amikacin, gentamicin, tobramycin, and vancomycin by intermittent intravenous infusion, we compared the predicted GFR ..
- Development and validation of a simultaneous extraction procedure for HPLC-MS quantification of daptomycin, amikacin, gentamicin, and rifampicin in human plasmaLorena Baietto
Laboratory of Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacogenetics, Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Torino, Amedeo di Savoia Hospital, Corso Svizzera 164, Turin 10149, Italy
Anal Bioanal Chem 396:791-8. 2010A simultaneous extraction method to measure daptomycin, amikacin, gentamicin, and rifampicin in human plasma, by high-performance liquid chromatography, was developed and validated...
- Protective effect of aminoguanidine against nephrotoxicity induced by amikacin in ratsH Parlakpinar
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Inonu University, 44069, Malatya, Turkey
Urol Res 32:278-82. 2004..We investigated the effects of AG on amikacin (AK)-induced changes of renal malondialdehyde (MDA), glutathione (GSH), blood urea nitrogen (BUN), serum ..
- Once-a-day individualized amikacin dosing for suspected infection at birth based on population pharmacokinetic modelsJ M Labaune
Department of Neonatology, Debrousse Hospital, Cl. Bernard University, Lyon, France
Biol Neonate 80:142-7. 2001b>Amikacin is widely used in the treatment of suspected or confirmed neonatal infections. However, dosage regimens are not well defined in this group of patients because of a wide inter-individual pharmacokinetic variability...
- Vascular prostheses with covalently bound gentamicin and amikacin reveal superior antibacterial properties than silver-impregnated ones--an in vitro studyM Osińska-Jaroszuk
Department of Biochemistry, M Curie Skłodowska University, Lublin, Poland
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 38:697-706. 2009..This study aims to compare the antibacterial activities of vascular prostheses: silver-impregnated and modified with covalently immobilised antibiotics...
- Monitoring the mode of action of antibiotics using Raman spectroscopy: investigating subinhibitory effects of amikacin on Pseudomonas aeruginosaE Consuelo López-Díez
School of Chemistry, The University of Manchester, P O Box 88, Sackville Street, Manchester, M60 1QD, United Kingdom
Anal Chem 77:2901-6. 2005..The clustering pattern in the discriminant factors space correlated directly to the concentration of amikacin, and partial least squares (PLS) regression analysis of the UVRR spectra was able to predict the concentration of ..
- Amikacin alters auditory brainstem conduction time in newbornsAdrian Poblano
Department of Neurology, National Institute of Perinatology, Department of Neurological Rehabilitation, Metropolitan University at Xochimilco, Mexico
J Perinat Med 31:237-41. 2003The purpose of this paper was to describe whether there are some relationships between amikacin serum levels and central conduction time in brainstem auditory evoked potentials (BAEP) within therapeutic range levels in newborns as index ..
- Protective effects of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE) on amikacin-induced nephrotoxicity in ratsHakan Parlakpinar
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Cell Biochem Funct 24:363-7. 2006b>Amikacin (AK) has nephrotoxic side effects. AK-induced nephrotoxicity may be the consequence of oxidative stress and so anti-oxidant agents could be useful in reducing AK toxicity...
- Fin reduction is a novel and unexpected teratogenic effect of amikacin-treated zebrafish embryosYing Hsin Chen
Institute of Medical Sciences, Buddhist Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
Toxicol Mech Methods 22:151-8. 2012We used zebrafish as a model to assess amikacin-induced embryotoxicity. We exposed zebrafish embryos to amikacin, using different amikacin doses (0-10 ppm), durations (12-48 h), and onsets (0, 24, 48 hpf)...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of enrofloxacin and a low dose of amikacin administered via regional intravenous limb perfusion in standing horsesAlberto Parra-Sanchez
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Am J Vet Res 67:1687-95. 2006To evaluate the pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic parameters of enrofloxacin and a low dose of amikacin administered via regional IV limb perfusion (RILP) in standing horses.
- Dissemination of 16S rRNA methylase-mediated highly amikacin-resistant isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae and Acinetobacter baumannii in KoreaHyukmin Lee
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Kwandong University College of Medicine, Kyunggido 412 270, South Korea
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 56:305-12. 2006Novel 16S rRNA methylase-mediated high-level resistance to amikacin and arbekacin has been reported recently in clinical isolates of Gram-negative bacilli only from several countries...
- Evaluation of population pharmacokinetic models for amikacin dosage individualization in critically ill patientsMaría Del Mar Fernández de Gatta
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Salamanca, Spain
J Pharm Pharmacol 61:759-66. 2009The aim of this study was to evaluate the reliability for dosage individualization and Bayesian adaptive control of several literature-retrieved amikacin population pharmacokinetic models in patients who were critically ill.
- In vitro elution of amikacin and ticarcillin from a resorbable, self-setting, fiber reinforced calcium phosphate cementAshlee E Watts
Comparative Orthopaedics Laboratory, Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Vet Surg 40:563-70. 2011To determine in vitro elution characteristics of amikacin and ticarcillin from fiber reinforced calcium phosphate beads (FRCP).
- Increasing the selectivity of amikacin in rat peritoneal macrophages using carrier erythrocytesElsa Briones
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Salamanca, Campus Miguel de Unamuno, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Eur J Pharm Sci 38:320-4. 2009The selectivity of amikacin in macrophages in vitro and its biodistribution in peritoneal macrophages and other tissues were studied in rats using carrier erythrocytes...
- Quantitative assessment of combination antimicrobial therapy against multidrug-resistant bacteria in a murine pneumonia modelZhe Yuan
Department of Clinical Sciences and Administration, University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, Texas, USA
J Infect Dis 201:889-97. 2010..Here, we report a quantitative method to assess combined killing of antimicrobial agents against 2 multidrug-resistant bacteria...
- Solvent-free biodegradable scleral plugs providing sustained release of vancomycin, amikacin, and dexamethasone--an in vivo studyYi Jie Peng
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medical Sciences, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
J Biomed Mater Res A 94:426-32. 2010..To manufacture plugs, poly(lactide-glycolide) copolymers were first mixed with vancomycin, amikacin, and dexamethasone. The mixture was compressed and sintered at 55 degrees C to form scleral plugs 1...
- Comparison between doxycycline-rifampin-amikacin and doxycycline-rifampin regimens in the treatment of brucellosisMitra Ranjbar
Department of Infectious Diseases, Sina Hospital, Hamedan, Iran
Int J Infect Dis 11:152-6. 2007..In this study we compare the standard regimen of the WHO, doxycycline-rifampin (DR), to triple therapy with doxycycline-rifampin-amikacin (ADR).
- Influence of subinhibitory concentrations of amikacin and ciprofloxacin on morphology and adherence ability of uropathogenic strainsD Wojnicz
Department of Biology and Medical Parasitology, Medical University of Wrocław, 50 367 Wrocław, Poland
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 52:429-36. 2007The influence of subinhibitory concentrations (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 MIC) of amikacin and ciprofloxacin on the morphology and adherence of uropathogenic strains was studied...
- Imipenem/cilastatin versus piperacillin/tazobactam plus amikacin for empirical therapy in febrile neutropenic patients: results of the COSTINE studyMiguel A Sanz
Servicio de Hematologia, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Curr Med Res Opin 21:645-55. 2005..However, it is not clear whether such combinations are advantageous over therapy with a broad-spectrum antibiotic...
- Nocardia keratitis: a case reportS Matuska
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University Hospital San Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 16:164-7. 2006To describe a case of Nocardia keratitis resistant to 2% amikacin, with a toxic-allergic reaction to fortified topical 5% amikacin, and recurrence of the infection with topical corticosteroids.
- Real-time PCR for single-nucleotide polymorphism detection in the 16S rRNA gene as an indicator for extensive drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisMarion Blaschitz
Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety, Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Währingerstrasse 25a, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1243-6. 2011..at positions 1401, 1402 and 1484 of the 16S rRNA gene of Mycobacterium tuberculosis leading to resistance to amikacin, kanamycin and capreomycin...
- Comparative in vitro bactericidal activity between cefepime and ceftazidime, alone and associated with amikacin, against carbapenem-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa strainsC Bantar
Department of Microbiology, Centro de Educación Médica e Investigaciones Clínicas Dr Norberto Quirno, Billingurst 2447, 1425, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 37:41-4. 2000..bactericidal activity of cefepime (CFP) and ceftazidime (CZD) (at 4 and 16 microg/mL), alone and associated with amikacin (AMK) (4 microg/mL). CFP proved more active than CZD (p < 0.05, Student's t test)...
- Long-lasting potentiation of a single-dose of rocuronium by amikacin: case reportV Gilliard
Service d anesthésiologie, Cliniques Universitaires de Mont Godinne, Avenue G Therasse, 1, B 5530 Yvoir, Belgium
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 57:157-9. 2006..to our knowledge long-lasting (4 hours) potentiation of single intubating dose of rocuronium by a single bolus of amikacin given 55 minutes later in a woman having no precipitating factor (renal failure, hepatic failure, ionic disorder, ..
- Calpain activity in the amikacin-damaged rat cochleaSabine Ladrech
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U583 et Université Montpellier I, Laboratoire de Physiopathologie et thérapie des déficits sensoriels et moteurs, 34295 Montpellier, France
J Comp Neurol 477:149-60. 2004..study was to investigate the involvement of calpain in the degeneration of hair cells and ganglion neurons in the amikacin-poisoned rat cochlea...
- Cross-resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates among streptomycin, kanamycin and amikacinI Sugawara
Mycobacterial Reference Center, The Research Institute of Tuberculosis, 3 1 24 Matsuyama, Kiyose, Tokyo 204 0022, Japan
Indian J Exp Biol 47:520-2. 2009..isolates were subjected to cross-resistance drug testing against two major aminoglycosides, kanamycin (KM) and amikacin (AMK). Among them, 15 clinical isolates (20.3%) were resistant to both KM and AMK...
- Changes in MAP2 and tyrosinated alpha-tubulin expression in cochlear inner hair cells after amikacin treatment in the ratSabine Ladrech
INSERM U254, Universite Montpellier I, Faculte de Medecine, Montpellier, France
J Comp Neurol 451:70-8. 2002..protein 2) and of tyrosinated alpha-tubulin was investigated immunocytochemically in the cochleas of normal and amikacin-treated rats...
- Development and optimization of solid lipid nanoparticles of amikacin by central composite designJaleh Varshosaz
Department of Pharmaceutics, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
J Liposome Res 20:97-104. 2010..fractional factorial design was applied to examine which variables affect the physicochemical properties of amikacin SLNs...
- Novel Spectinamide Antibiotics for the Treatment of MDR/XDR TuberculosisMichelle M Butler; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., amikacin, kanamycin, or capreomycin)]...
- Aminoglycoside potentiators for P. aeruginosa therapyDonald T Moir; Fiscal Year: 2013..exhibits an alarming variety of intrinsic drug resistances, aminoglycosides (AMGs) such as tobramycin and amikacin, are still effective in treating diseases caused by this pathogen, including CF and ventilator- associated ..
- In vitro and in vivo efficacy of liposomal ciprofloxacin formulations against MycIgor Gonda; Fiscal Year: 2013..of CFI and DRCFI in the macrophage test system: a) alone and in combination with clarithromycin, ethambutol, and amikacin against 3 clinical isolates of M...
- Firing up new treatments against Mycobacterium ulcerans disease (Buruli ulcer)Jacques H Grosset; Fiscal Year: 2013..ulcerans disease and demonstrated that treatment for two months with amikacin (or streptomycin) and rifampin, used in the mouse at doses equipotent to human doses, was highly active (..
- Mechanistic Basis Underlying Protein Repair of CFTR Nonsense MutationsSTEVEN MARK ROWE; Fiscal Year: 2010..While initial studies with gentamicin, amikacin, and the novel small molecule PTC124 indicate significant promise to the approach, successfully employing the ..
- Rapid Tests for Drug Resistance to Detect Extensively Drug-Resistant TuberculosisAntonino Catanzaro; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., isoniazid, rifampin, ofloxacin, amikacin, kanamycin, and capreomycin) directly from sputa...
- Multidrug-Resistant Acinetobacter baumanniiYohei Doi; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Pittsburgh, there is a surge in imipenem-resistant and amikacin-resistant A. baumannii, necessitating use of salvage agents such as colistin and tigecycline...
- PHARMACOKINETICS AND TOXICITY OF 2ND LINE ANTI-TB DRUGS IN HIV-INFECTED CHILDRENANNEKE CATHARINA HESSELING; Fiscal Year: 2013..frequently used second-line anti-TB drugs in children in the PIs'setting are ethionamide, fluoroquinolones, amikacin and terizidone. Capreomycin, linezolid and PAS are typically used for treatment of extensively drug-resistant TB...
- Nanoparticle delivery system for antiturberculosis drugLeonid Heifets; Fiscal Year: 2004..5-7 fold. Dr. Geuelperina at RDCMDT has already begun encapsulation of ethambutol, pyrazinamide, capreomycin, amikacin, kanamycin, ethionamide, levofloxacin, cycloserine, moxifloxacin, vancomycin, and cefoxitin...
- Dealing with Antibiotic Resistance: Antisense TechnologyMarcelo E Tolmasky; Fiscal Year: 2013..the most clinically relevant acetyltransferase among gram-negative pathogens, which mediates resistance to amikacin (Ak) and other aminoglycosides...
- NEW DRUGS FOR RESISTANT DISEASE FROM CI/MS STUDIESVERONICA BIERBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2000..The aminoglycoside antibiotics such as gentamycin, tobramycin, neomycin, and amikacin will also be examined in conjunction with resistant and sensitive strains of E...
- ACTIVE-SITE CHARACTERIZATION FOR APH(3')-IIMichael Perlin; Fiscal Year: 1992..This enzyme normally confers bacterial resistance to kanamycin, but not to its semi-synthetic derivative, amikacin. This is true even though the enzyme modifies amikacin, albeit with much less catalytic efficiency than for ..
- AEROSOL DELIVERY OF DRUGS TO TB PATIENTSNeil Schluger; Fiscal Year: 1999..Specific Aim 2: To assess the effect of aerosol amikacin on clearance of mycobacteria from the lungs of patients with pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Genomics in Discovering Antibiotic Resistance MechanismsMichael Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2005..aeruginosa that are involved in its resistance to the aminoglycoside: amikacin. Techniques utilized will include parallel gene trait mapping (PGTM), insertional mutagenesis, and a bacterial ..
- MODULATION OF PULMONARY RESPONSES TO PATHOGENSBlaine Beaman; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will determine the importance of the structure of mycobacterial glycolipids on mechanisms regulating T cell function during pulmonary protection especially as related to AIDS. ..
- MECHANISMS OF HEMOSTASIS AND REPAIR IN THE LUNGBlaine Beaman; Fiscal Year: 2004..The goal of this research is to reveal those attributes of gamma delta T cell function that contribute to epithelial integrity, and when breached determine the beneficial levels of inflammation and repair. ..
- Mouse Strain dependent innate resistance to intestinal amebiasisEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Real-time PCR diagnostic kit for Giardia and CryptosporidiumEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2006..A Phase II application is anticipated to validate the final diagnostic test product against immunoassay for an FDA 501 (k) medical device application. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mucosal immune regulation in murine amebic colitisEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..The comprehensive approach in training and research laid out in this research proposal will guide the applicant towards his goal of being an independent investigator in immunoparasitology. ..
- Multiplex bead-PCR diagnosis for AIDS diarrheaEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, syndrome-based multiplex diagnosis is the platform of the future for clinical microbiology, and if this assay works on stool it should work on sputum, blood, or spinal fluid. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeted DNA extraction for Tuberculosis PCR from sputumEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..The most sensitive procedure will be taken in Phase II and adapted to high-throughput DNA extraction platforms and compared against the standard E- MTD assay. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..